PDA

View Full Version : CA CA - KIBBE, Roger Reece: I-5 Strangler, 1970's

InterestedNHelping
03-07-2008, 10:45 PM
http://www.kcra.com/news/15527659/detail.html

More at link

STOCKTON, Calif. -- A convicted murderer known as the I-5 Strangler has been accused of six more killings and may now face the death penalty, officials said.

Roger Reece Kibbe, 68, has been indicted by a grand jury in San Joaquin County on suspicion of homicides that took place from 1977 to 1986.

Lou Ellen Burleigh, Sept. 11, 1977
Lora Heedick of Modesto, April 21, 1986
Barbara Ann Scott, July 3, 1986
Stephanie Brown of Sacramento, July 15, 1986
Charmaine Sabrah of Sacramento, Aug. 17, 1986
Katherine Kelly Quinones, Nov. 5, 1986

philamena
03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I remember when these murders happened.
Thankfully these victims will receive justice.

AmandaBrown23
03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Are there more that we may not know about??

SeriouslySearching
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
There certainly could be. Sad to say.

Greywing
03-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Interesting that the I-5 Killer (Randy Woodfield) was also active during the same period of time. Sadly Amanda I think there are so many serial killers and their victims we may never know about.

Anubis
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
He plead guilty. I work with a woman who was good friends with Stephanie. The things that guy did to such a beautiful young woman should have put him squarely in the gas chamber. Here's the link: http://www.sacbee.com/latest/story/2218002.html

bessie
08-06-2013, 05:59 AM
1970s serial killers sowed fear in Contra Costa (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/nationalbreaking/ci_18491775)

By Matthias Gafni
Contra Costa Times
Copyright 2011, Bay Area News Group
Posted: 07/16/2011 10:12:11 PM PDT
'I-5 Strangler'
Roger Kibbe found himself in Contra Costa after being paroled to the Oakley area in 1972.
He started stealing women's underwear off laundry lines and cutting them up. When he began killing, he unnecessarily cut victims' clothing, Holes said.
Kibbe's first and only Contra Costa victim was Walnut Creek resident Lou Ellen Burleigh, 21, who disappeared Sept. 11, 1977, after agreeing to meet a man advertising a job at a cosmetics studio.
Kibbe, who confessed to the crime, got her into his van. Last month, DNA testing confirmed that it was Burleigh's remains found near Lake Berryessa in March.

PricklyPear
11-16-2014, 06:45 AM

There is at least one, possibly two. He had a "signature" of cutting up victims' clothing for no reason (non-functional cutting). He had started with this as a teenager when he stole women's clothing from clotheslines.

Karen Higgins Finch, who went missing on June 15, 1986 and was found a week later, has been connected with him well enough that she was included as a known victim in "Trace Evidence" and the "Forensic Files" episode about Kibbe. She was stabbed instead of strangled - police believe she fought back and he became enraged and stabbed her with the scissors he used to cut clothing. Everything else about her case was similar, though. She was found on the side of the road, she had been tied like the other victims, her clothing was cut the same way. When he pled guilty, the deal was LE wouldn't bring anymore charges against him. I think, though I cannot recall, he may have admitted to killing Karen Finch under the deal. http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090929/A_NEWS/909299991

There's another case, Robbin Simpson, that was followed here. If I'm understanding his plea deal correctly, they may be able to charge him with her death if they get enough evidence, because he did not confess to it. Personally, given that her clothes were cut up in a manner similar to what he did to confirmed victims, I think she was probably a victim of Kibbe's. That's a really, really weird signature, and is how they connected the murders in the first place (though they couldn't gather enough evidence for the others to convince a prosecutor to charge him until DNA testing). Unfortunately, because the remains were skeletonized, there may not ever be enough evidence to charge him, and since he will never get out of jail, they may not feel it is worth the expense of another trial: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?36078-Female-30-45-Died-Jan-1986-Jan-1987-El-Dorado-County-California-Robbin-Simpson&highlight=kibbe

Personally, I think he was behind a lot more murders. He killed Lou Ellen Burleigh in 1977. That's a wide gap, both from when he first started stealing and cutting up clothing in his teens to when he killed her in his mid-30s, and from her murder to his next known victim in 1986. I think he only confessed to her murder because, according to Bruce Henderson's book, he had been a suspect when she disappeared, so he knew that LE would be looking at her case again once DNA tied him to the five 1986 cases. He wasn't convicted of most of his crimes until 2009. I'm thinking there are probably a bunch of murders across Central California in the 1970s and 1980s he is responsible for, if departments go back and check their cold cases for strangled or stabbed women found with cut up clothing, especially in areas where his known victims were found. They are all very remote areas where it would be easy to hide a body and it not be found for months or years.