PDA

View Full Version : Do you think CL will fight extradition?

Littledeer
04-11-2008, 07:24 PM
CL looked "resigned" to whatever is coming on all the pictures I saw today of him in Mexico after his arrest.

I don't think CL will fight extradition. Does he even have a lawyer?

panthera
04-11-2008, 08:57 PM
CL looked "resigned" to whatever is coming on all the pictures I saw today of him in Mexico after his arrest.

He had lawyers here in NC before he took off but I don't know how that works when someone's captured in Mexico. Does he get a Mexican lawyer or does his attorney from here go down there? He'd still be entitled to a lawyer before LE could question him, imo.

Crime-Dreamer
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
On Nancy Grace someone, I think attorney general for Oslow County said it will be at least 60 days.

My understanding is that he is not going to fight extradition if he will be handed over to NC and not the military.

My understanding and not a true legal one is that he has two seperate extraditions to fight; one against NC and one against the military. The military has not yet charged him with murder but his defense attorney should get that resolved and the death penalty off the table with the military before he returns. He could also face the death penalty or other charges not yet named for deserting. There are also the rape charges although the military told Congressman Mike Turner they considered that matter, "concluded." I don't know if they meant the investigation or the case.

So, he has the right to fight extradition on each and every individual charge seperately with each agency making charges against him.

In addition to his three attorneys he hired in NC before he left town, the state attorney general appointed an attorney for him a couple of months ago. The district attorney said it was, "highly unusual" (may not be a correct quote). There was a big rukus because the state does not appoint a defense attorney for someone who had not been charged or who had not asked for one. I don't remember if that article was posted on this site or another. Let me know if you want that reference and I will find it. It is from a newspaper in NC. It was suspected that they were providing him with an attorney so the military were not going to be the only people to interview him if he was arrested. If he had an attorney appointed by the state, the state had a right to speak to him. I don't know if that attorney can now speak to him in Mexico but I have been trying to find that information. I was going to contact the reporter in NC.

Snowlover77
04-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I am betting he won't fight it...because at least he will be able to see his wife and child.

Littledeer
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
CL won't even be in the US until after 60 days.......Crime Dreamer was right on that one in her/his post.

Dreamer: Thanks for all the info in your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So CL can be charged by both the LE in NC and the Marines? Is that correct?

If you do correspond with the reporter in NC.......let us know what the response was.

STEADFAST
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I am betting he won't fight it...because at least he will be able to see his wife and child.

Yeah, also he won't be in a Mexican jail.

BeavisMom62
04-12-2008, 10:09 AM

I don't think he'll fight it either. You're right, he looked resigned as well as like a little, sissy, wussy, little boy that got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Sure didn't look like a "stellar marine" to me!

JinxieJada
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't think he'll fight it either. You're right, he looked resigned as well as like a little, sissy, wussy, little boy that got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Sure didn't look like a "stellar marine" to me!

He's always looked that way to me (like a little boy) in ALL the pics that have been released of him. I'd love to find a pic of Xtina and see what she "looks like"

STEADFAST
04-12-2008, 01:13 PM

That's his I've-Been-Falsely-Accused face that was so effective with his commanders on base.

Mygirlsadie
04-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Just think of how much of a coward he is. He ran off because he was scared.. Big bad stellar Marine? haha..I don't think so. Anyway he was a pencil pusher he wasn't in a combat job he just liked to hold the title "Marine''..Freakin wimp.

Crime-Dreamer
04-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Article from JD News. Marines are not going to be involved in extradition it says and a lot more about everything.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/happen_56005___article.html/coordinated_effort.html

Crime-Dreamer
04-12-2008, 04:15 PM
E-mail to sherrif Ed Browne from CL and response. From JDNews.com

http://www.jdnews.com/articles/brown_56022___article.html/note_cesar.html

Crime-Dreamer
04-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Outline of the Mexican Extradition process. From JDNews Jan 25

http://www.jdnews.com/news/laurean_54691___article.html/mexico_mexican.html

panthera
04-12-2008, 04:22 PM
On Nancy Grace someone, I think attorney general for Oslow County said it will be at least 60 days.

My understanding is that he is not going to fight extradition if he will be handed over to NC and not the military.

My understanding and not a true legal one is that he has two seperate extraditions to fight; one against NC and one against the military. The military has not yet charged him with murder but his defense attorney should get that resolved and the death penalty off the table with the military before he returns. He could also face the death penalty or other charges not yet named for deserting. There are also the rape charges although the military told Congressman Mike Turner they considered that matter, "concluded." I don't know if they meant the investigation or the case.

So, he has the right to fight extradition on each and every individual charge seperately with each agency making charges against him.

In addition to his three attorneys he hired in NC before he left town, the state attorney general appointed an attorney for him a couple of months ago. The district attorney said it was, "highly unusual" (may not be a correct quote). There was a big rukus because the state does not appoint a defense attorney for someone who had not been charged or who had not asked for one. I don't remember if that article was posted on this site or another. Let me know if you want that reference and I will find it. It is from a newspaper in NC. It was suspected that they were providing him with an attorney so the military were not going to be the only people to interview him if he was arrested. If he had an attorney appointed by the state, the state had a right to speak to him. I don't know if that attorney can now speak to him in Mexico but I have been trying to find that information. I was going to contact the reporter in NC.
Thank you so much for the explanation about the attorney. :) I'd totally missed that news a couple of months ago. The only other recent case where the suspect fled to Mexico was Darren Mack, but he didn't fight extradition and was working out a deal with the DA/LE to return to the US.

panthera
04-12-2008, 04:24 PM
He's always looked that way to me (like a little boy) in ALL the pics that have been released of him. I'd love to find a pic of Xtina and see what she "looks like"
The only ones I've seen were taken of the two of them together and her face was blurred out. I doubt we'll be seeing any of her anytime soon since the Marines have ordered her not to talk with media.

Crime-Dreamer
04-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Link to the article from January where the state of NC appointed CL a capital defense attorney even though he had not yet been charged with a crime or been officially asked for a lawer. The attorney general makes comments that it is "highly unusual." Names of all CL attornies are listed.

http://www.jdnews.com/articles/laurean_54380___article.html/office_attorney.html

Crime-Dreamer
04-12-2008, 04:45 PM
T forgot there is also the possibility of a charge for adulty. My understanding is the sentance for that can be 8 years.

Mygirlsadie
04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Well besides her blurred out face she looked more on the 'bigger' side. She didn't resemble anything of little blonde Maria.

panthera
04-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Well besides her blurred out face she looked more on the 'bigger' side. She didn't resemble anything of little blonde Maria.
I noticed that too and especially with her Marine training could've easily overcome a very pregnant Maria. But of course, the DA says she wasn't at all involved, so I guess all she did was help CL paint the house & garage. :)

panthera
04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
DA: "I anticipate" Laurean won't fight extradition

http://www.wnct.com/midatlantic/nct/news/local_news.apx.-content-articles-NCT-2008-04-15-0039.html

Littledeer
04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I also don't anticipate him fighting extradition. Glad to see that the DA feels the same way. The sooner he's back, the sooner we can "hear" CL and Christina's stories on what happened. Let the lies begin............

I'm sure they will both be doing that, but I'm hoping that for their family's sake, and for Maria's family, one or both will tell the truth. (probably wishful thinking).

ssgtbam
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Just thought I would let you know that us "pencil pushers" receive the same training...as a Marine...all of us have as our first MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) Rifleman... so, just because we work in an office does NOT mean that we are not Marines..... thank you very much!

(Not that this makes me a bit hoity-toity and gets my hackles up......)

Littledeer
04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
ssgtbam:

I for one and I'm sure others here did not realize that EVERYONE gets training. Also, not one poster has said that working as a personnel clerk is not a "marine". Obviously you are and you should be damn proud.

If you feel insulted or feel we have demeaned you in any way, please know it was not our intention and not how we feel.

That being said, do you think CL will fight extradition??

ssgtbam
04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks, Little Deer.... I am a bit testy about the subject, sorry everyone!

As for the extradition... No, I do not think that CL will fight it, and I am sure that all of the info so far indicates that he will be back before the anticipated 60 days... but it is possible (due to his deserter status) that he might be under a particular circumstance which is highly irregular. This special circumstance is that he would have by being a deserter (he became a deserter the moment that he crossed the border) entered the country (Mexico) illegally...which then could allow Mexico to deport him...but since he is still considered a Mexican National (citizen), they would likely not do this... The fact that a potential murder (punishable by death) trial is facing him would also (I think) be a factor that Mexico would use to determine not to deport him. The important thing in all of this legal stuff is that both countries have to work with each other in the future, and neither want to make the other mad.....

So...when it all comes down to it...it may really be up to CL as to whether he will allow for extradition or try to fight it....
I say he will not because he is desperate to get back to his family...and he knows that at least he will know where his next meal will come from....

Crime-Dreamer
04-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Nothing from the reporter from JDNews.com but I did suggest she write a story about if he would fight extradition or not. The same woman has written almost all of the stories for the Jacksonville paper. Those are the ones posted on JDNews.com. I suggested she interview everyone there about extradition and if the military can file charges later and keep the death penalty as an option if he is extradited before they charge him. I'll let you know if she writes that article.

Tom'sGirl
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Nothing from the reporter from JDNews.com but I did suggest she write a story about if he would fight extradition or not. The same woman has written almost all of the stories for the Jacksonville paper. Those are the ones posted on JDNews.com. I suggested she interview everyone there about extradition and if the military can file charges later and keep the death penalty as an option if he is extradited before they charge him. I'll let you know if she writes that article.
IIRC I read where the MC has to state charges prior to Extradition and can't change them once Cesar is back on US soil.

Littledeer
04-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Tom'sGirl:

Can you elaborate on that? I mean if MC has to state PRIOR.............like he is charged with this and this........

And then once he is back on US soil, they can't add or delete from those charges???

Littledeer
04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Then again, IMO, I can't see MC ever having a chance in any charges they might want to press against CL once he is back. Isn't he now the local LE'S case?????

panthera
04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Then again, IMO, I can't see MC ever having a chance in any charges they might want to press against CL once he is back. Isn't he now the local LE'S case?????
For Maria's murder, I believe all LE agreed the state would try him.

Crime-Dreamer
04-16-2008, 09:03 PM
The military could say they will not try CL and will leave it up to NC but they still have not said that. In fact, the have not said one word which the attorney general says is odd. See story from JDnews.com

http://www.jdnews.com/articles/gutheinz_56010___article.html/mexico_laurean.html

Crime-Dreamer
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I have been trying to find out:
1. Has the military charged CL with anything?
2. Does the military have to charge him before he returns?
3. Who tries him first?
4. Can the military not charge him for murder until he is returned and then apply the dealth penalty?

I have not been able to get a difinitive answer to any of those questions. I have written to several sources and gotten no answers. If anyone knows where I can look up these answers, I will try to find them.

Crime-Dreamer
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
WDTN TV Dayton, Ohio is reporting today that CL will be returned to the US in 3-4 months and prosecutors say he will not fight extradition.

panthera
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
WDTN TV Dayton, Ohio is reporting today that CL will be returned to the US in 3-4 months and prosecutors say he will not fight extradition.
Thanks but it sounds like the same thing Fox reported on the 15th. At least the story hasn't changed! :)

oceanblueeyes
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Just think of how much of a coward he is. He ran off because he was scared.. Big bad stellar Marine? haha..I don't think so. Anyway he was a pencil pusher he wasn't in a combat job he just liked to hold the title "Marine''..Freakin wimp.

Oh I bet he excelled during his excruciating tough 13 week training at boot camp and probably mastered his PTs too the entire time he was in. No matter his MOS I have never found a Marine that forgot that training..it becomes entrenched in them.

I imagine he was scared and that would be understandable even if he was totally innocent or guilty. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know he was going to be blamed for this.

Has anyone read Lindell Kay's blog today over at Jacksonville Daily News? A federal government inside source told Lindell they do not believe that Laurean is the father of Gabriel.

So here we go.............another bizarre twist and turn as SB has said and like DA Hudson has stated this case has got more roller coasters than an amusement park.

imoo

Tom'sGirl
04-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh I bet he excelled during his excruciating tough 13 week training at boot camp and probably mastered his PTs too the entire time he was in. No matter his MOS I have never found a Marine that forgot that training..it becomes entrenched in them.

I imagine he was scared and that would be understandable even if he was totally innocent or guilty. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know he was going to be blamed for this.

Has anyone read Lindell Kay's blog today over at Jacksonville Daily News? A federal government inside source told Lindell they do not believe that Laurean is the father of Gabriel.

So here we go.............another bizarre twist and turn as SB has said and like DA Hudson has stated this case has got more roller coasters than an amusement park.

imoo
I take "Off the Cuff" with a grain of salt, a Steve Huff he 'ain't :)

oceanblueeyes
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I have been trying to find out:
1. Has the military charged CL with anything?
2. Does the military have to charge him before he returns?
3. Who tries him first?
4. Can the military not charge him for murder until he is returned and then apply the death penalty?

I have not been able to get a definitive answer to any of those questions. I have written to several sources and gotten no answers. If anyone knows where I can look up these answers, I will try to find them.

I did read a link on INsessions that said the Mexican authorities must know all charges against him before they will extradite him. They do not like to send suspects back who are going before military tribunals anyway.

The State has first dibs. It happened in the county at large and not within base jurisdiction. The military has a long standing relationship with local and state officials and rarely ever intervenes. While we may think this case is unusual it is not and unfortunately is just another murder case in our country which happens way too often.

We have a very good working relationship with Mexico and imo there will never be a back door charge by another agency or a death penalty case once he is returned. To appear as if we fooled them into returning him and then do what we know they do not approve of would greatly damage that working relationship. Cesar Laurean is not the only fugitive that we are going to want Mexico to give up and extradite back so all parties will respect and proceed openly and above board to see he is returned and be as good as their word when they are required to list all charges against him.

JMOO

oceanblueeyes
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
I take "Off the Cuff" with a grain of salt, a Steve Huff he 'ain't :)

Oh I think he is pretty sharp. I like his integrity too.........he knew all about the FED raid on Christina's sister's house but chose to withhold that information to protect the investigation at the time. That would have been a very big news story for him. This shows me why he has so many sources.......they know he is guarded in what he reports even when he is aware of it.

imoo

Tom'sGirl
04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh I think he is pretty sharp. I like his integrity too.........he knew all about the FED raid on Christina's sister's house but chose to withhold that information to protect the investigation at the time.

imoo
Well, anyone who was reading the postings prior to "Off the Cuff" had already read the post by the person who saw the raid.

oceanblueeyes
04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, anyone who was reading the postings prior to "Off the Cuff" had already read the post by the person who saw the raid.

People write a lot of stuff down that cant be verified or proven true.

He had 4 inside sources that had alerted him about the raid.

imoo

Crime-Dreamer
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Mock extradition trail found for no extradition because the MC has not agreed that they will not charge him and has not thrown out the death penalty. From Lindell's blog. April 22. Mock Extradition.

http://onslowcrime.encblogs.com/?cat=3