PDA

View Full Version : The Woman Who Can't Forget

JBean
05-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Has anyone seen this woman? It is incredible. But I think it is a true curse.
I saw her on a TV show and was just amazed .

"Where did the years go?"

Middle-age people often ask that plaintive question as time seems to accelerate, the days blur together, and children grow up in a flash.

But it's not a question 42-year-old Jill Price ever asks, because she can recall in vivid detail every day of her life since age 14, and many earlier days, too.

'The Woman Who Can't Forget' (Free Press), her new book with writer Bart Davis, tells the story of the first person ever confirmed by scientists to have such a superior autobiographical memory. She was studied by memory experts at University of California-Irvine for six years before they reported the feats of "AJ" in an esoteric professional journal in 2006

http://news.aol.com/health/story/ar/_a/her-unmatched-memory-a-blessing-curse/20080508120809990001?icid=100214839x1201949436x120 0073178

JBean
05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
MEMOIR
Unable to Forget

The remarkable story of a woman who remembers every day of her life

Price's memory, which she describes as "shockingly complete" beginning in 1974, when she was 8, and "near perfect" from 1980 on, appears to be organized like a diary. Given a date from the last 30 years, she can instantly summon up the day of the week, and usually at least some tidbit of biographical trivia. "On Friday afternoon, October 19, 1979," she writes, "I came home from school and had some soup because it was unusually cold that day." Oprah, take note: Oct. 19, 1979, was, in fact, a Friday, and it was cloudy with a high of 67 in Los Angeles, well below normal. As for the soup, we can only take her word for it, but McGaugh—who checked Price's recollections against whatever documentation was available, including some 50,000 pages of her own written diaries—believes her abilities are real. "She doesn't make it up or fake it," McGaugh says. "If she doesn't know, she says so. She may say, 'I just hung out.' A lot of our days are like that." McGaugh points out that Price has extraordinary recall for news events, if they were important enough to attract her notice at the time. Does Aug. 16, 1977, mean anything to you? It did to Price, who instantly recognized that as the date Elvis Presley died.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/136334

kahskye
05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Wow! I'd say that's quite a memory. I thought I had a good memory because I can remember my brother jumping into my crib w/ me and even my grandma holding me around a year while the others all went into the lake swimming.

JBean
05-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow! I'd say that's quite a memory. I thought I had a good memory because I can remember my brother jumping into my crib w/ me and even my grandma holding me around a year while the others all went into the lake swimming.
You have to see her kahskye. Diane Sawyer interveiwed her and she could tell what happened on a TV sitcom on a certain day. Diane Sawyer asked her questions out of a trivia type book and she even corrected some of the info that was wrong in the book. She knew what day people died and exactly what she was doing that day.
She is wrong every once in a blue moon and she is always off by exactly 7 days. They do not know what that is about.

If you get a chance to see anything on this woman please do. But think about horrible things that happen to you that you WANT to forget. She cannot.

JBean
05-11-2008, 11:14 PM
It is like her life runs in continuous loop in her mind everyday 24/7. She comes up with the information immediately like it happened this morning.
I truly feel sorry for her.

ETA: Oh and she did not do well in school because the information is all autobiographical.

JBean
05-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Price herself seems unable to decide if her ability is a blessing or a curse. On the one hand, she writes, "I hate the notion of forgetting. I'm happy that I can remember so many episodes of so many TV shows I've loved through the years, that I can revisit any given day [and] know what really happened to me that day." Her abilities came in handy when she had a job as an administrative assistant at a law firm. But often her memories arise unbidden, chaotic and unwelcome. "Imagine being able to remember every fight you ever had with a friend, every time someone let you down, all the stupid mistakes you've ever made." And she could only have been the world's biggest pain to grow up with. From an early age, she writes, "I was always correcting my parents about things they claimed I had said, or that they had said to me, which, as you can imagine, didn't go over very well."
But the sobering thing about Price's book is how banal most of her memories are. The days go by, lunch follows breakfast, 10th grade turns inexorably into 11th and a lot of the time, as McGaugh says, you just hang out

kahskye
05-11-2008, 11:20 PM
You have to see her kahskye. Diane Sawyer interveiwed her and she could tell what happened on a TV sitcom on a certain day. Diane Sawyer asked her questions out of a trivia type book and she even corrected some of the info that was wrong in the book. She knew what day people died and exactly what she was doing that day.
She is wrong every once in a blue moon and she is always off by exactly 7 days. They do not know what that is about.

If you get a chance to see anything on this woman please do. But think about horrible things that happen to you that you WANT to forget. She cannot.

That's quite amazing! There are many things that I have blocked out of my memory that I'd hate to relive. What a way to have to live if you in fact do have things you want to forget, which I'm sure all of us have.

SeriouslySearching
05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
It is a fascinating story. I feel sorry for her. It is so much information to hold onto.

Taximom
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
It almost sounds like an autistic feature (think Rain Man). How interesting, and I agree, a little sad.

JBean
05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
It almost sounds like an autistic feature (think Rain Man). How interesting, and I agree, a little sad.
She says her most ardent hope was to have a happy marriage and children. But after marrying at 37, she had a miscarriage, and her husband, Jim, died suddenly of a stroke.

The constant onslaught of memories is both a curse and a blessing, Price says. Especially under stress, the good memories give her great comfort. "I have this warm, safe feeling, and I can get through anything." The dark side is that she recalls every bad decision, every insult and excruciating embarrassment. "Over the years, it has eaten me up."

Peaceful sleep is rare because memories assault her, she says. "It has kind of paralyzed my life."

jilly
05-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Jelly, I saw her!! BUT I can't even remember what show it was! lol Was it a clip from Good Morning America's morning show?

I couldn't believe her memory. I mean I didn't think it was possible for a human being to absorb so much. I kind of wonder if one day her brain will simply self-destruct. Absolutely amazing. If I could only have a smidgeon of that right now I'd be happy.

Hopefully she'll donate her brain to science when she leaves this earth.

JBean
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Jelly, I saw her!! BUT I can't even remember what show it was! lol Was it a clip from Good Morning America's morning show?

I couldn't believe her memory. I mean I didn't think it was possible for a human being to absorb so much. I kind of wonder if one day her brain will simply self-destruct. Absolutely amazing. If I could only have a smidgeon of that right now I'd be happy.

Hopefully she'll donate her brain to science when she leaves this earth.
I saw her on some Diane Sawyer thing. There are some differences in her brain structure so she may have unlimited storage!
I know my brain is completely full and I cannot retain too much.

angelmom
05-12-2008, 07:10 AM
I had to send this link to my family. They constantly tease me about my memory and being able to remember trivial things - but I don't hold a candle to this woman! It annoys them to no end, and they always live to regret the words, "I didn't do that? Like when? Give me an example!"

I used the subject line "You think I'm annoying?" :crazy:

Paladin
05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Clearly this woman must be insanely rich to remember so much stuff, right? I would immediately go on Jeopardy and start racking up the dough.

tempusfugit
05-12-2008, 08:20 AM
I too can remember everything from the age of 2 1/2-3 years of age, and I'm a trivia nut also. I have driven my family crazy over the years with my "instant recall", as I like to refer to it as! I do this thing with phone numbers & birthdays also. Yes, I've been told I should go on Jeopardy, but it wouldn't be the same with a gazillion people watching me. What I would really like to do is be able to count cards, funny thing is as hard as I try I can't...