PDA

View Full Version : Energy drinks linked to risky behavior among teenagers

Floh
05-28-2008, 05:52 AM
In March, The Journal of American College Health published a report on the link between energy drinks, athletics and risky behavior. The study's author, Kathleen Miller, an addiction researcher at the University of Buffalo, says it suggests that high consumption of energy drinks is associated with "toxic jock" behavior, a constellation of risky and aggressive behaviors including unprotected sex, substance abuse and*violence.
The finding doesn't mean the drinks cause bad behavior. But the data suggest that regular consumption of energy drinks may be a red flag for parents that their children are more likely to take risks with their health and safety. "It appears the kids who are heavily into drinking energy drinks are more likely to be the ones who are inclined toward taking risks," Miller*said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/27/healthscience/27well.php

Is this really surprising? :confused:

Beyond Belief
05-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I wondered about those drinks. A cheap buzz.

panglossian
05-28-2008, 06:27 AM
I read that Britney blamed drinking too many Red Bulls for the Madonna kiss.

eve
05-28-2008, 09:09 AM
I see young people drinking shots chased by Red Bull in the bars. Wow. I can believe this.

Eve

Jeana (DP)
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
My son is allowed one "Monster" per week. That's it. I don't know if they promote risky behavior or not, but they're loaded with sugar and horrible for the teeth. If he didn't need to put on weight, I wouldn't even allow him to have any.

Cheetah
05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't allow my 14 year old to drink energy drinks, of course she always begs for one. I wish they would make them illegal for minors. I have always believed that they are dangerous...way to much caffeine and ginseng.

A 16 year old girl died in our area recently due to mixing alcohol and energy drinks:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/local_news/epaper/2008/05/21/a9a_teen_dead_0522.html (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/local_news/epaper/2008/05/21/a9a_teen_dead_0522.html)

curious1
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, all that extra energy has to go somewhere. Seems like a no brainer and not that surprising.

Now as an adult my friends do occasionally buy a round of Red Bull and Jager shots when we are out, but I prefer to leave the Red Bull out of the equation when I buy for myself. Why screw up perfectly good Jager with that awful tasting crap? :crazy:

pixies
05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Obviously... and bad parenting to boot.

SuziQ
05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Another reason to tell my son not to drink that stuff. I've heard more bad than good about these drinks. It's considered a cool thing among teenagers and many I talked to don't even like the taste. They just do it for the cool factor.

I'm with you curious1. I wanted my Jager pristine and untainted!

Jeana (DP)
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Anyone with teenaged boys and those in their early 20s know that they honestly don't need any encouragement (other than friends saying "yeah, that's cool, do that") in order to engage in risky behavior. The snowboarding, skateboarding, biking craze is all the rage these days and guys are going to be out there doing it. I honestly think that men "need" that type of gung ho attitude or they wouldn't be able to do some of the jobs that some of them do.

reb
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
doesn't surprise me at all. why do people feel they need to drink this stuff anyway??
you're just making those companies rich. just say NO, and don't drink the stuff. and i don't get the fascination with red bull.. that stuff is absolutely gross. i am convinced that everyone is drinking it only because their intensive marketing campaign has been successful and all the sheeple are brainwashed into liking it because they see everyone else drinking it. typical.

did anyone see 'idiocracy'?? brilliant movie... it speaks volumes about the how we have become an 'energy drink nation'.....

Jeana (DP)
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
doesn't surprise me at all. why do people feel they need to drink this stuff anyway??
you're just making those companies rich. just say NO, and don't drink the stuff. and i don't get the fascination with red bull.. that stuff is absolutely gross. i am convinced that everyone is drinking it only because their intensive marketing campaign has been successful and all the sheeple are brainwashed into liking it because they see everyone else drinking it. typical.

did anyone see 'idiocracy'?? brilliant movie... it speaks volumes about the how we have become an 'energy drink nation'.....

Water is absolutely the best thing to drink, no doubt. However, every so often after my son has had to be at band practice at 6:45 every school day, play football on a Thursday, get up early for school on Friday, play in the marching band during the games Friday night and still be at school at 6:45 on Saturday morning for practice (all the while trying to keep his grades up), some sugar comes in handy! That's not to say it should be a fix. But, those are the times when I allow him to bring one with him.

Autumn2004
05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I drink red bull on occasion and Im not what you would call a risk taker.

I only drink it for migraines since the caffeine is the only thing to stop it in its tracks, which happens every time I accidentally ingest gluten.

KansasCutie
05-28-2008, 06:23 PM
I always drink red bulls and vodka or with any other alcohol basically....but i NEVER drink them when im not drinking. they give me horrible headaches and just make me sick!

OneLostGrl
05-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Anyone with teenaged boys and those in their early 20s know that they honestly don't need any encouragement (other than friends saying "yeah, that's cool, do that") in order to engage in risky behavior. The snowboarding, skateboarding, biking craze is all the rage these days and guys are going to be out there doing it. I honestly think that men "need" that type of gung ho attitude or they wouldn't be able to do some of the jobs that some of them do.

I agree with you!

I think a healthy amount "risky behavior" is a normal and essential part of growing up.

LinasK
05-29-2008, 01:58 AM
I drink red bull on occasion and Im not what you would call a risk taker.

I only drink it for migraines since the caffeine is the only thing to stop it in its tracks, which happens every time I accidentally ingest gluten.

Me too. An occasional Monster or Rock Star when I am super tired, or have a migraine. They don't taste that bad, but they sure get your heart racing! My friends think it's funny when I get that hyper. I talk a mile a minute! I've never heard of Super Spiker.

Floh
06-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Cynically marketed, toxic and disturbing: Why Red Bull is Britain's real drink problem

Red Bull has been banned from sale in Norway, Denmark, Uruguay and Iceland, while health departments in France, Ireland, Turkey, Sweden and the U.S. have expressed concern.

A spate of medical studies have also highlighted potential problems.
But what is perhaps most relevant to 21st-century Britain is the role of Red Bull in our binge-drinking culture.

Mixed with vodka, it has become a staple of the student and twenty-something hard-drinking crowd - an ideal way to keep partying longer and harder.

Indeed, in a devastating analysis of Britain's binge-drinking epidemic, Chief Constable Stephen Otter, head of the Devon and Cornwall police, found that the typical consumption for a young British woman on a night out was eight vodka and Red Bull cocktails.

What he did not point out is that in terms of caffeine intake alone, that was equivalent to drinking 16 cups of instant coffee.

And the real trouble, say experts, is that mixing caffeine, a stimulant, with alcohol, a depressant, is like getting into a car and applying the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

'The symptoms of drunkenness are reduced - but not the drunkenness itself,' says Professor Mary Claire O'Brien, an American doctor, whose research into the subject was recently published. 'They can't tell if they're drunk. They can't tell if someone else is drunk. So they get hurt - or they hurt someone else.'

Much more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1027304/Cynically-marketed-toxic-disturbing-Why-Red-Bull-Britains-real-drink-problem.html

Paladin
06-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Interesting read. I had no idea it was banned in certain locales. I don't drink the stuff just because it's like $2+ for that small can.

Floh
06-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Interesting read. I had no idea it was banned in certain locales. I don't drink the stuff just because it's like $2+ for that small can.

I've had a can in the fridge for around 6 weeks. i've never actually tried it. i got it for an expected early morning to give me a wake-up jolt, but forgot and went on my merry way.

i think i'm going to get it right now and see what happens . . . :dance::dance::dance:

Taximom
06-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Ugh, the taste alone drives me away. (Red Bull)

I've seen little kids in the neighborhood chugging it in the morning. :eek:

Paladin
06-18-2008, 09:14 AM

It's good. My wife and I think it tastes like Smarties candy in liquid form.

Taximom
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Smarties are cheaper! lol I didn't care for it much.

pixies
06-18-2008, 09:27 AM

Oh thats great. Next time tell the parents to go ahead and give them a pack of cigarettes and a 6 pack of beer to go along with their Red Bull since they have no care about their childrens health.

Taximom
06-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Pixies, their parents don't care about them at all! They are the kids that roam around the neighborhood parentless all the time. It's really sad.

Floh
06-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Pixies, their parents don't care about them at all! They are the kids that roam around the neighborhood parentless all the time. It's really sad.

And shoring up trouble for the future . . . :(

Paladin
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Uh, I was a kid who roamed the neighborhood all the time. I guess maybe things were different back then.

Ciara
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
My 21 year old son and all his friends drink this with Vodka and they take the blindest bit of notice when I tell them the dangers of it. I would not mind seeing it banned over here.

Taximom
06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Uh, I was a kid who roamed the neighborhood all the time. I guess maybe things were different back then.

You know what? I roamed, my brother roamed, but we were expected home for lunch and our parents usually knew the general area we were in. These kids have NO respect for anything and the police know them by name. That never happened to me or my brother when we roamed. My parents cared and we respected authority and other people's property. I think that's probably the difference between you and them, Paladin.

deanws
06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
You know what? I roamed, my brother roamed, but we were expected home for lunch and our parents usually knew the general area we were in. These kids have NO respect for anything and the police know them by name. That never happened to me or my brother when we roamed. My parents cared and we respected authority and other people's property. I think that's probably the difference between you and them, Paladin.I agree Taximom.

Taximom
06-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree Taximom.

Hee hee, thanks, but that was so way off topic, wasn't it?! lol :blushing:

Claudia
06-18-2008, 04:37 PM
All of my almost 13 yr old son's friends drink Monster, Red Bull, etc. I have never allowed my son to drink the stuff. It ticks him off, but too bad. I am more concerned about his health than what his goofy friends are doing. I have never even tasted a single energy drink, I'm hyper enough without it! :Banane10:

arielilane
06-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Good grief - when are people going to be held responsible for their own risky behavior?

I don't want it banned. I don't want the government telling me what I can drink.

Floh
06-19-2008, 05:19 AM
I don't want it banned i want everyone to be aware of what they are ingesting and what it could do for them. :blowkiss: