PDA

View Full Version : The Websleuths Setup

WS Admin
06-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Every so often someone will talk about how much better things would be if they ran things. So, here's what you need to run a board like Websleuths.

Hardware:

Websleuths runs on a server that belongs to Websleuths.com, LLC. It is located in Houston, Texas at The Planet (http://www.theplanet.com/), a large dedicated hosting facility. It is a 4 CPU server class machine with SCSI drives running the Linux operating system. This systems hosts websleuths.com, forumsforjustice.org and justiceforallspeakers.com

Software:

The forum is handled by the vBulletin forum package (http://www.vbulletin.com/), a very popular and full featured system used by many message boards. We keep it updated as Jelsoft comes out with new versions and fixes.

The storage of the message board database - the posts, the forum layouts, the membership recors, etc. - is handled by a couple of MySQL databases (http://www.mysql.com/) running on the server.

Sniffy38
06-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Adnoid. I think most of the members have no idea just how involved and complicated it is. That's not to mention the great expense either. Thank you, Tricia, for doing this for all of us. Also, to the Mods, you are a dedicated group, too and keep us running in an orderly fashion. That combination is what makes us the best discussion forum on the net.

LionRun
06-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Adnoid, I think I truly understand what you are saying, and I know that it costs Tricia money, websleuths undergoes routine updates, sometimes things go wrong and huge efforts are made to correct problems, and forums must be kept organized and be monitored daily. Meanwhile you good folks do this on a volunteer basis. And, I know that sometimes it is a thankless job. But, lots of people here recognize and respect your efforts.

Some people just seem unable to understand that a huge forum such as this one takes a great deal of work in many ways to keep running smoothly in all aspects. I for one don't think anyone could do as good a job as you, Tricia and all of the good mods here are doing. Thank you for all that each of you do. I love websleuths, and part of the reason for that is directly related to how you folks run this forum:blowkiss:.

DeltaDawn
06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks to the mods and Tricia for running a first class board.

Class-z
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks to the mods and Tricia for running a first class board.

To our all mighty leaders:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

gardenmom
06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Is there any place on here to offer suggestions? I would like to see some of the stickies on the forums cleaned up. Some are very outdated, and we have to scroll down pretty far to get to more current stuff. For example, there are still stickies about not posting pictures, and some about watching Shadow of justice, from 2007!

PS, No, I would not like to run websleuths! I thank you for all you do.:blowkiss:

Adalena935
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I couldn't find a question & answer area so here goes. Why do I have to continually have to log in so frequently? Why can't I just log in and stay logged in until I decide to log out? Am I doing something wrong to cause this problem? Thanks in advance.

panthera
07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I couldn't find a question & answer area so here goes. Why do I have to continually have to log in so frequently? Why can't I just log in and stay logged in until I decide to log out? Am I doing something wrong to cause this problem? Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry I can't answer that ~ I never log out on my home computer! If I log in at work, I don't have the problem you're talking about, but I know some sites have to be adjusted, so to speak, by admin. :)

blaize
07-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Hello Adalena, the tech help question and answer area on websleuths is usually the Forum Finesse (http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53) section.

If you find yourself having to log in again and again I'd suggest you clear your browser's cache and cookie's and then try logging in & see if that fixes the issue for you.

Hope that helps Adalena, if not please post in the Forum Finesse area & someone is sure to help you get to the bottom of the problem.

whiteangora
07-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Looks like we have a "Houston connection".
My son has a web-hosting company and his
server is with the Planet in Houston.
This morning I read about the people trying
to damage this fantastic forum and I would
just like to suggest the best security program
around, it's PLESK. This is not for the casual
pc user, but rather it is for servers.
Maybe you're already utilizing it.
Thanks for providing such a stimulating
atmosphere for discussion.:)

adnoid
07-22-2008, 08:47 AM
We've got 3 of the admins that deal with the server hardware - myself, Big Tex and Karl. Thank you for you note, rest assured we're on top of it. We're not going to post anything that gives a potential attacker a road map of what's been set up, of course!

Looks like we have a "Houston connection".
My son has a web-hosting company and his
server is with the Planet in Houston.
This morning I read about the people trying
to damage this fantastic forum and I would
just like to suggest the best security program
around, it's PLESK. This is not for the casual
pc user, but rather it is for servers.
Maybe you're already utilizing it.
Thanks for providing such a stimulating
atmosphere for discussion.:)

SeriouslySearching
07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Do we know what is going on with the board the past couple of days? Is it the traffic here? It is timing out or taking forever to make a post now.

adnoid
07-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Do we know what is going on with the board the past couple of days? Is it the traffic here? It is timing out or taking forever to make a post now.

A huge surge in traffic the past couple weeks. New server is being brought on line in the next few days.

*~Aimee~*
07-22-2008, 05:52 PM
I applaud all you do here. I own a message board (vbulletin also) and this one is amazing! You do it well. Thank you bunches for all you do. There is so much behind the scene that members don't know about and some might take for granted until I glich then you hear about it.

Gma Kat
10-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I appreciate that you provide this forum for those of us that are sleuthers. it has given me a sense of involvement that satisfies my sleuthing needs. I am so impressed with the professional way this forum is moderated and maintained. This week I began having technical problems on this site (I keep finding myself logged out when all I have done i view a few posts on a thread) also my cursor jumps around on this forum now too. Does this sound like a computer problem (virus?) or is it something I am doing wrong all of a sudden when i am logged in? I use my daughter's laptop when I am at her home to access the site. sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere. I may be a sleuther but I'm not very techy or bright!

deerpack2003
10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
How many posts does it take to have your PMing and other control panel functions work?

capps
10-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm having no problems,don't need any questions answered. Thanks adnoid on educating us on how the board operates.

You are all doing a FINE job. Thank you once again,and again and again!!

Rose Killer
10-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Hope this is the right place, new at this message board stuff. I noticed my profile page,avatar, picture albums and message system are gone. :confused: Have I done something wrong? I click on my nic and it tells me I am not allowed. Any help would be appreciated. Aside from this issue everything else is top notch! TIA

x117236
10-19-2008, 01:11 PM
There's now a requirement to have a certain number of posts to be able to use the extra features. I don't know what the magic number is. I keep looking but don't see any notices of the change posted anywhere.

naya
10-19-2008, 02:16 PM
i no longer get new posts at the top ?

naya
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
yay its back thank you x

adnoid
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
yay its back thank you x

We've been working on stuff today.

Duelist Pearl
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Hello...I am a new user with a question. How do I put a custom avatar on?? I'm sure it is very easy but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Maya Love
10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello...I am a new user with a question. How do I put a custom avatar on?? I'm sure it is very easy but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I had one until this afternoon when I deleted it to use another and now I don't have the option to add another...sooo, hopefully one of us will get an answer. I really feel like I've lost my identity!

Duelist Pearl
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
How did you get the original one one there? I can't make heads or tails of it all...lol

Duelist Pearl
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
:banghead:
How did you get the original one one there? I can't make heads or tails of it all...lol

Maya Love
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM

I can't remember! I know I had to use the faqs to figure it out, but now when I do that, I can't seem to find the answer.

:banghead: Tell me about it!

*~Aimee~*
10-22-2008, 04:30 AM
To edit your avatar:

User CP>Edit Avatar>put check in use custom avatar box then> browse and find the one you want on your PC>or the link>save changes

Custom Avatar
If you have a custom avatar and want to keep it as it is, leave the fields below as they are.

Use Custom Avatar

You may upload a new custom image using the controls below.

Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website

Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 97.7 KB (whichever is smaller).

Hope this helps :blowkiss:

Duelist Pearl
10-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Thank you so much for your help Aimee. When I tryed it before the "use custom avatar" upload was not on there. Your the best!:woohoo:

Maya Love
10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Thank you! That option was not there yesterday! Now, how do you make a custom slogan under your user name?

Duelist Pearl
10-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Maya....Go to the control panel, Edit details, scroll until you see, custom user title.

Maya Love
10-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Ooooh ooooweeee! (that's my 90s techno yell!) thanks!

Rose Killer
10-25-2008, 08:14 AM
There's now a requirement to have a certain number of posts to be able to use the extra features. I don't know what the magic number is. I keep looking but don't see any notices of the change posted anywhere. Thanks x117236, I had everything from the beginning, I'm going to assume it was by accident. Just wondered :)

MUGENDAI
12-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Every so often someone will talk about how much better things would be if they ran things. So, here's what you need to run a board like Websleuths.

Hardware:

Websleuths runs on a server that belongs to Websleuths.com, LLC. It is located in Houston, Texas at The Planet (http://www.theplanet.com/), a large dedicated hosting facility. It is a 4 CPU server class machine with SCSI drives running the Linux operating system. This systems hosts websleuths.com, forumsforjustice.org and justiceforallspeakers.com

Software:

The forum is handled by the vBulletin forum package (http://www.vbulletin.com/), a very popular and full featured system used by many message boards. We keep it updated as Jelsoft comes out with new versions and fixes.

The storage of the message board database - the posts, the forum layouts, the membership recors, etc. - is handled by a couple of MySQL databases (http://www.mysql.com/) running on the server.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wagara
04-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Are different skins available? Thanks!

Kimster
04-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Only on your profile page.

less0305
08-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Is there something wrong with me and my download of WS or do other people experience the same blown out margins that I do almost constantly now? It drives me CRAZY and I find myself just giving up and leaving most days because it's too annoying to scroll wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over to read comments.

Dr. Know?
08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I think each time the home page is updated with a new announcement it blows the margins for me. Other times is when a picture is too large and posted.

I just have the main page again being huge with the new announcement!

Kimster
08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I think each time the home page is updated with a new announcement it blows the margins for me. Other times is when a picture is too large and posted.

I just have the main page again being huge with the new announcement!

Are you talking about the forum page that lists all the forums, or the front page where the Top Headlines and such are at?

Dr. Know?
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Oops, just saw your post (months later). Yes, that is the page. Haven't had any problems lately with it though.

However, today in Lisa Irwin's forum I'll hit last post on a thread and there's a next page showing, you can't get to that next page...It was on a two threads that I've seen today. MSM & I think the Jersey & MW thread. I logged out and back in but it's still there. I've never seen that before. I've hit last post and I've seen where there was a next page due to the timing of a new post posting, but in this case, there isn't a next page to get to.

If I go by the post number, like #418, you shouldn't have a next page at that point anyway. No biggy, just confusing.

Kimster
11-23-2011, 02:10 AM
We are working on the page problem. It's sure strange!

Trident
11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
The ad on top, the big one, slows my computer down to a c r a w l, and I have a new, fast computer.