PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

Pages : [1] 2

Doyle
12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
the other thread was getting too long, and slightly off topic... I have made 2 threads, one for discussion, and for for new information...

please post new information only here.

Doyle
12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
the other thread was getting too long, and slightly off topic... I have made 2 threads, one for discussion, and for for new information...

This is a place to discuss Dru.

Love_Mama
12-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Doyle

Good Idea Doyle.....thanks.

I just bought 6 personal alarms for Christmas present's for the girls in my family and that includes me. I was thinking, if perhaps Dru had owned one of those alarms...hung on her car's keychain (that's the kind I bought).....that she might had a moment to just pull it apart and the shricking noise and blinking light that is on this particular model would have been enough for this mad man to scare him away. (It does not sound like a car alarm)

I am now in the process of writing an article for our local newspaper about safety devices that are available to women and encourange them to buy them. They are not expensive and the type that I bought cannot be easily turned off by the predator because it had hidden disarm switch. If the predator had to find the turn-off switch that would give you time to run!

I'm not so fond of the pepper sprays as they're not something that you necessarly have at hand, and I really think that any a loud noise would a a much better deterent to anyone trying to attack you.

Just my thoughts.....j

xxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

Casshew
12-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Love Mama... I am going to get one for my daughter for walking to/from school. Thanx for the suggestion.

Please let us read your article for the Paper when you have finished it.

So what is the latest on Dru? Last I heard the offical search had been called off. Is this true?

Cass...

wwwxxyyzz
12-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the split Doyle.

Yeah Cass unfortunately they did call off the search.
It's so sad for her and her family.

wwwxxyyzz
12-16-2003, 12:19 PM
I thought the link to Dru's site should be on here:

www.FindDru.com

Prayers for Dru~

Toth
12-16-2003, 12:19 PM
I don't know if you can say it is sad, its obviously rugged country that is being searched in the dead of Winter, the river is frozen over, the days are short. It would be sad if searchers were lost unnecessarily.
It appears it was all over for Dru within two hours of her abduction.

Love_Mama
12-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Casshew
Love Mama... I am going to get one for my daughter for walking to/from school. Thanx for the suggestion.

Please let us read your article for the Paper when you have finished it.

So what is the latest on Dru? Last I heard the offical search had been called off. Is this true?

Cass...

Cass......here's a website that show's the alarm.
http://www.smartcart.com/selfdefence/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=KC45

I don't know what the shipping charges are but google the web for the best price. I bought six of them and found a place that only charge one small flat fee for shipping all of them.

NOW...this is the truth. I was thinking about you and your daugher walking through those woods! I said to myself.....I've got to talk to Cass and tell her to buy one for her daugher. I think she should have both the cell phone and this......let's say...she needed you, she could immediately pull the pin on the alarm.......and then if there was time, punch in your phone number on her cell!
Horrible to think about all this but it's really important. However..the very saftest thing would be for you to walk with her til she get's to school...and then you use YOUR alarm to get back! THis is a WAR with crazy abductors.....and it isn't going to get better. I think you should get yourself one too!

xxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

Oceanbreeze
12-16-2003, 05:17 PM
Love_Mama, Thanks for the link.
I think I'll get one for my daughter and one for me!!

Love_Mama
12-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Oceanbreeze
Love_Mama, Thanks for the link.
I think I'll get one for my daughter and one for me!!

Oceanbreeze (that should be my name) LOL......
I'm so glad you getting one....or two. If I can get as many women to buy them on this forum......when I get this into our small newspaper here....I bet a lot more will buy them. YIPPIE.

xxxxxxo
mama

Juliana
12-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Love_Mama,
Thank you for the information on the personal safety devices. I am ordering several for my female friends and family. The world is just a tiny bit safer now...

johnny
12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Psychologist Told Officials Rodriguez Was Likely to Re-Offend

A risk assessment done four months prior to Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.'s release from prison warned that the severity of his assaults on women appeared to be increasing.

Dwight Close, the Minnesota Department of Corrections psychologist who assessed Rodriguez, added that Rodriguez's "victim pool" of women apparently chosen at random "suggests a need for broader notification of the public" than permitted by state guidelines.

Close cited other concerns to consider in calculating the risk of allowing Rodriguez back into the community, including the fact that he already had re-offended after receiving treatment as a sex offender.

Rodriguez, 50, has been charged with kidnapping in the disappearance of Dru Sjodin, a University of North Dakota student missing since November 22.

The risk-assessment report was dated January 10 for a committee that later conducted an end-of-confinement review, required before Rodriguez's release from prison on May 1. That review, done at least 90 days before a prisoner's release, determines how much notification needs to be provided to people where the released prisoner intends to live.

Rodriguez was designated a Level 3 offender, based on that review. The Level 3 category is reserved for those who show the highest likelihood to commit more sex crimes.

It is a separate procedure from the civil commitment hearing, which is required to be held at least a year before release. Those hearings are used to determine whether a sex offender should be held indefinitely for treatment at a secure hospital.

Corrections officials held a civil commitment hearing more than a year before Rodriguez's release but decided against indefinite treatment at the conclusion of his criminal sentence, in part because of his age. He is 50.

In his assessment, Close noted that: "Rodriguez's willingness to use force may be escalating in severity," and he cited four "special concerns" that should be considered in his case:

Rodriguez had re-offended despite having participated in inpatient sex offender treatment for about five years.

Two of his three assaults involved the use of a weapon.

Because his victims had been "adult females (who were) unknown to him and who appear to have been randomly selected," there was "a need for broader notification of the public than that permitted by the risk level associated with the offender's score" on the assessment.

Rodriguez was "unlikely to have a stable, well-supervised living arrangement in a location which minimizes his access to potential victims."

Although he told one official interviewer before his prison release that he would like to return to Mexico to pursue a trade in printing, according to the risk assessment report, Rodriguez moved back to Crookston, where he was living with his mother when he was arrested.

Close's report was released this week by Polk County District Court along with other documents that had been filed by authorities seeking search warrants last month for Rodriguez's car and home in Crookston.

As his 23-year prison confinement was about to end, Rodriguez was given a score of 13 on a risk-to-reoffend assessment by the Department of Corrections, the report shows.

A sexual offender who scores 8 or higher is designated Level 3

johnny
12-17-2003, 11:35 AM
All this time I was thinking that these sexual offenders stalk and plan for the right moment to attack ............now I'm thinking that they are always ready to pounce....they are always looking just waiting for a victim to step into the trap.

I bet he gathered all his "gear" the knife, wire, cleaning supplies, and a drop location within days of his release. Even getting the right car. I wonder if he dis-engaged the door handles from the inside?

alpharee
12-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Just got my alarms in today and boy are they loud!
I hope we never have to use em.

starpatch
12-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Doyle

Just found this article..

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4274665.html

Trino
12-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Personally, I think LE should cut a deal with Rodriguez. There's already enough evidence to keep him in jail for life. MN/ND winters are long and hard. If he killed her, Dru won't be found until next spring when warm weather thaw comes. The family needs closure. I can't imagine what the they're going through.

starpatch
12-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Trino
Personally, I think LE should cut a deal with Rodriguez. There's already enough evidence to keep him in jail for life. MN/ND winters are long and hard. If he killed her, Dru won't be found until next spring when warm weather thaw comes. The family needs closure. I can't imagine what the they're going through.
I thopght that the States Attorney was so wrong to say loudly...NO DEALS....with out the death penalty there isn't much to bargain with, though.

But, I do wish somehow they could strike a deal with AR:dontknow: :confused:

Doyle
12-19-2003, 04:42 AM
Gov. Tim Pawlentysaid Thursday that he is exploring ways to discipline a state doctor and others who declined to seek civil confinement of a convicted sex offender now suspected of abducting North Dakota student Dru Sjodin.
http://www.kstp.com/article/view/125432/

Hundreds gather in missing student's hometown to offer support, prayers
http://www.brainerddispatch.com/stories/121803/new_1218030019.shtml

Yakwoman
12-19-2003, 07:21 AM
DRU SJODIN DISAPPEARANCE: Release raises questions.
Minnesota officials spar over civil commitment decision in Rodriguez case.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7527225.htm

Toth
12-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Deal? He is going to be doing the rest of his life in prison. He knows that. If he tells where the body is, he faces the death penalty. He is going to keep his mouth shut.

starpatch
12-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Toth
Deal? He is going to be doing the rest of his life in prison. He knows that. If he tells where the body is, he faces the death penalty. He is going to keep his mouth shut.
Toth...the only way he would get the death penalty, is if the Feds try the case.
Neither Minnesota or North Dakota has the death penalty.

Trino
12-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Maybe the deal could be what prison to send him to. Some are better than others.

camsmom
12-20-2003, 07:13 AM

Apparently AR is much more cAs I understand it, neither state has the death penalty. What about crossing state lines? Does that change things? I live in Missouri and the death penalty rules! I also have family in southern MN (Albert Lea to be exact) and they are so relaxed, not used to the city worldomfortable in jail. This is all he has known since he was young.

God Love Dru...I hope she did fight and make those scratches on the window...I hope she fought him till the end with every single breathe she had. I hope every time AR goes to sleep he will think of her and her "husky" voice.

camsmom
12-20-2003, 07:17 AM
I just re-read my post. Now I am understanding why some of the lingo is there. This site does funky things to what one says.

Silver Dollar
12-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by alpharee
Just got my alarms in today and boy are they loud!
I hope we never have to use em.

Hi alpharee!

Just got mine today and afraid to try them! My little poodles are afraid of smoke alarms so I know they won't like these. Have to go outside........way out back...... and scare the neighbors instead.
Glad to have them though.

alpharee
12-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Silver Dollar,
you test them?:)
Boy my head was hurting the other day. I bought 9 of those total and I tested each one myself.

BTW, I have a poodle too! I did go outside to test them because they are loud.

Toth
12-21-2003, 10:58 AM
I really don't think this discussion of personal alarms has much to do with finding Dru Sjodin's corpse, but if you must discuss personal alarms you might want to post the incident where a little girl was kidnapped and later killed despite the fact that she activated her personal alarm and a man found it while it was making noise on the sidewalk but had no idea what it was.

Love_Mama
12-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Toth
I really don't think this discussion of personal alarms has much to do with finding Dru Sjodin's corpse, but if you must discuss personal alarms you might want to post the incident where a little girl was kidnapped and later killed despite the fact that she activated her personal alarm and a man found it while it was making noise on the sidewalk but had no idea what it was.

Toth.......that is a terrible story.......how horrible. Do you know what her name was........is there a site where I can find the story?

I know that a persoal alarm is the not at this time THE answer alone, but do think it's a start. IF the public knew that the shrill noise it made was a REAL SOS from someone then it could definitely make a difference. I'm going to do my best to try and make that happen. I'm doing an article several local newspapers soon and am going to try very hard to get the local police here in San Diego to adopt using a personal alarm into their safety programs....If the public knew what to listen for....then it would be a very useful device, Agree!

In the meantime, I'm going to go over to Dru's site and see if there is a place where I can post an email that the parent's might read. They must be so devasted......and Christmas in four days! Very, very sad.
xxxxxoo
mama

Love_Mama
12-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Toth....I can't find the story you mentioned about the girl who had a personal alarm and that alone, didn't work. I googled and found these stories!

11:20am (UK) Fri 19 Dec 2003
Jogger Attack Police Hand Out Personal Alarms

By Pat Hurst, PA News
Police hunting a knifeman who murdered a jogger as she ran through a park and attempted to kill another woman were today handing out personal attack alarms in a bid to reassure the public.

Officers were visiting parks in north London to hand out the alarms and give advice to female joggers in the area.
-------------------
Practical gifts that just keep on giving
09:36 AM PST on Sunday, December 7, 2003

By MONIQUE H. HENDERSON / Special to The Press-Enterprise
Personal alarms can ward off trouble by sending out a shrill, ear-piercing sound. The alarms often are sold separately or on a key chain.
Some companies have packaged them with flashlights or pedometers, devices used to calculate the distance traveled by walkers or joggers. Personal alarms typically cost $10 to $40.
---------
SAFETY FIRST
http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/12/02/3fcc363091ea9
Evanston, Illinois
NEW: ASG approves blanket $25 charge for athletic events

Posted: Tuesday, Dec. 2 at 12:30 a.m.
By Adam Williams and Alison Knezevich
December 02, 2003
Before the athletic-bill debate, senators got back to safety bills that had not been addressed when they adjourned their meeting halfway through the agenda two weeks ago.

The first was a bill by former sorority Sen. Christina Appleton that called for the administration to purchase 1,000 personal safety alarms and distribute them free to students. The keychain-sized alarms reach up to 138 decibels to alert police and bystanders of an attack.

But senators passed an amended version of the bill that asks the administration to subsidize 500 instead of 1000 of the personal alarms.

The alarms would be available for students to buy at $3, instead of free as Appleton originally intended.

Senators raised a number of concerns about the personal alarms, such as the possibility that alarms would accidentally sound off or that students would misuse them.

Some also said the proposal was too similar to last year's ASG initiative to distribute 5,000 rape whistles and that interested students could buy personal alarms through the Women's Coalition.

"How many whistles have been used ... to stop attacks?" Meredith Kesner, an off-campus senator and Medill senior, posed to Senate. "(The bill) gives the appearance of safety but in reality, it does nothing."

Appleton said she was disappointed at the outcome and accused the Senate of not putting safety first.

"The point was missed tonight," said Appleton, a Weinberg junior. "My intent was to provide something different. We're basically providing what Women's Coalition already does offer."

Senators also passed three other safety bills that generated less controversy.

For what it's worth.

xxxxxxoo
mama

ronigrrl
12-21-2003, 08:50 PM
Did you all see that AR has enlisted the help of his own private investigator? I imagine that also is at the expense of the taxpayers...

From the Dru board a group of searchers has contacted the family regarding search efforts. From what I understand, the family and LE needed to discuss it at length. I read that it is slated the first week of January.

To read more:
http://www.finddru.com & go to Volunteer thread

for those who can't tolerate the bickering and want to just discuss:
http://pub46.ezboard.com/bdruspositivepage

to light a candle on a site for dru:
http://www.oracula.org/es-03121912320047

Love_Mama
12-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ronigrrl
Did you all see that AR has enlisted the help of his own private investigator? I imagine that also is at the expense of the taxpayers...

From the Dru board a group of searchers has contacted the family regarding search efforts. From what I understand, the family and LE needed to discuss it at length. I read that it is slated the first week of January.

To read more:
http://www.finddru.com & go to Volunteer thread

for those who can't tolerate the bickering and want to just discuss:
http://pub46.ezboard.com/bdruspositivepage

to light a candle on a site for dru:
http://www.oracula.org/es-03121912320047

Thanks so much for the web sites ronigrrl. Keep posting.........you're bringing some light to this discussion. Start posting on some more threads.....we need people like you! Have a wonderful Christmas........silly as it is perhaps, I still believe in miracles.

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

seamless
12-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Toth is right. I remember that story several years ago, I bet even over 5 years ago. I beleive that she was murdered. She was around 9-years old I think.

Love_Mama
12-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by seamless
Toth is right. I remember that story several years ago, I bet even over 5 years ago. I beleive that she was murdered. She was around 9-years old I think.
Thanks so much Seamless.......please keep posting.....!!!
I hope so much that I get some more infor on that case from Toth.......
where are you TOTH?

LOL

xxxxxxooooooooo

mama

Bubble1421
12-22-2003, 01:43 PM
My mom bought me one of those alarms when I started High School since I would be walking home by myself. She put my name, and an emergency contact phone number along with the local police number on a sticker on the back of the alarm. There was also a brief comment about what the alarm was so if anyone found it they would call immediately. I only had to use it once. I was walking home and a guy in a blue pick up truck was following me. As I was crossing the street, he turned in front of me and stopped blocking my path. He then opened his door and started to get out of the car. I pulled the plug out of the alarm. There were a couple of other people in a parking lot near by who stopped to look. The guy then jumped back into his car and sped off. I got his lic plate number and reported it to the police. 2 months later a detective brought some photos to my school for me to look at. I couldn't remember exactly what he looked like especially from 2 months prior. Many of the guys they showed me looked very very similar. I don't know if anything ever happened to that guy. I still have the alarm to this day and always carry it with me.

One of those may have helped in Dru's situation but if she had already put her purse in the car when he approached her, she would never have had the chance to pull the plug on the alarm.

HappyChic727
12-22-2003, 04:48 PM
I haven't followed the case much but do believe that Dru is gone. I thought that of Elizabeth Smart too and was super shocked when she was found . . . alive . . . but I think that was a very unusual situation. I hope her body is found soon for the sake of the family. I can't imagine what it would be like to have someone missing and possibly murdered. I go crazy when my cats don't come in after a few hours. Yes, I go looking for them! I call their names and clap and make a nuisance of myself. But I love them, and I can't imagine losing them. Prayers and strength to Dru's family and friends.

starpatch
12-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by HappyChic727
I haven't followed the case much but do believe that Dru is gone. I thought that of Elizabeth Smart too and was super shocked when she was found . . . alive . . . but I think that was a very unusual situation. I hope her body is found soon for the sake of the family. I can't imagine what it would be like to have someone missing and possibly murdered. I go crazy when my cats don't come in after a few hours. Yes, I go looking for them! I call their names and clap and make a nuisance of myself. But I love them, and I can't imagine losing them. Prayers and strength to Dru's family and friends.

startribune.com

Not knowing Dru Sjodin's whereabouts complicates things
Richard Meryhew
Star Tribune
Published 12/23/2003

On paper, the case that Grand Forks authorities are building against the man accused of kidnapping Dru Sjodin seems formidable.

They found a knife in Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.'s car that matches a sheath discovered in the shopping mall parking lot where Sjodin disappeared Nov. 22. They've got evidence they say places Rodriguez at the mall that day. They found Sjodin's blood in Rodriguez's car and recovered one of her shoes by the Red Lake River not far from his home. And they've got Rodriguez, a 50-year-old convicted sex offender from Crookston, Minn., caught in an alibi that doesn't add up.

What they don't have is Sjodin.

And without knowing the whereabouts of the 22-year-old University of North Dakota student, convicting Rodriguez on a kidnapping or murder charge becomes trickier.

Without a body, prosecutors can't say for certain how or whether Sjodin was abducted or assaulted. Without a body, they can't establish that Sjodin is dead.

"In a murder case, you've got to prove there has been a death of a human being and you've got to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt," said John Goff, a former North Dakota prosecutor who filed murder charges in 1998 in the disappearance of 11-year-old Jeanna North in Fargo, N.D. Her body was never found.

"Everybody can conclude she is dead, but you still have to prove that."

Aiding prosecutors in the Sjodin disappearance is the fact that the collection and presentation of DNA evidence has evolved significantly in recent years and that statistics associated with such evidence are much more likely to be allowed in court. In one high-profile case during the early 1990s, a Dakota County jury wasn't permitted to hear statistical evidence because the science behind it was considered to be in its infancy.

Evidence and clues

In 1988, authorities in Cass and Crow Wing counties in north-central Minnesota prosecuted Jerome Bye, a Pequot Lakes real-estate agent, in the death of Charlotte Lysdale, 68, who disappeared from her Pine River home three years earlier.

Bye, the last person to have seen Lysdale, was accused of killing her, stealing the deed to her lakeshore property and hiding her body, which was never found. Although a grand jury found enough probable cause to charge Bye, a jury acquitted him of murder.

Despite some compelling physical evidence, the outcome was the same in 1992 when Robert Guevara was charged with murder, kidnapping and rape in the disappearance of Corrine Erstad, a 5-year-old girl from Inver Grove Heights who was reported missing that June.

Investigators found a bloody dress with Guevara's and Corrine's hair in Guevara's storage locker and a shower curtain stained with semen and blood. Nevertheless, Guevara was acquitted.

Several jurors said after the trial that the inability of investigators to find Corrine's body hurt the prosecution's case. Without it, they said, prosecutors didn't have enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she had died. And without being able to prove that, they said, they couldn't convict Guevara of a killing.

"I was shocked at the verdict at the time," said Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom, who prosecuted Guevara. "And I'm still shocked and disappointed today. It is hard to rationalize how you could overlook the significant evidence we had in that case.

"We had DNA evidence that linked the victim's blood and the defendant's semen combined on one item of evidence. But in our case, we didn't have a body. And it might have tipped the scales enough to lead to their decision," Backstrom said.

Andrew Baker, assistant chief medical examiner for Hennepin County, said finding a body is important for several reasons: Not only does it prove that a death occurred, but in most cases, it also establishes a cause of death and valuable clues about what happened.

"Depending on the circumstances, there may be a great deal of evidence on the body," Baker said.

Stab wounds, gunshot wounds, strangulation marks or torn or shredded clothing often give investigators information that can be helpful when interrogating potential suspects. Backstrom said a body can also provide prosecutors with valuable DNA evidence -- semen, hair, blood -- that could be critical at trial.

In some cases, that's the key to sustaining a criminal case.

Earlier this year, William Gene Myears, 25, was charged with manslaughter in connection with the disappearance and suspected killing of 21-year-old Erika Dalquist of Brainerd, in October 2002. According to a criminal complaint, Myears led investigators to a mine pit 10 miles east of town and pointed to a spot where he said he put Dalquist.

Despite exhaustive underwater searches, investigators never found a body. Two weeks later, the charge was dropped and Myears was set free.

Stronger cases

Investigators in Cass County, N.D., never found Jeanna North's body, but they still won a conviction against repeat sex offender Kyle Bell in 1999, based almost entirely on circumstantial evidence.

Bell, who lived near Jeanna, was in the neighborhood at the time she disappeared and was the last person to see her alive. At one point, he confessed to killing Jeanna. He later recanted, but some of the confession was admitted at trial.

Bell also told authorities that he tied Jeanna's body to a concrete block and dumped it in a nearby river. Investigators later found a concrete block and rope in the spot where Bell said he dumped the body.

Circumstantial evidence also was critical in the 2000 conviction of Donald Blom, who was accused of kidnapping and murder in the disappearance of Katie Poirier, 19, from a Moose Lake convenience store where she worked.

Blom, a repeat sex offender, also confessed to the crime early on, then recanted. But as in the Bell case, part of the confession was admitted as trial evidence.

Investigators also had physical evidence -- human bone fragments were found in a fire pit on Blom's property not far from the crime scene. However, that evidence was so badly burned that investigators could not obtain DNA samples.

They also found a tooth that showed dental work consistent with that performed on Poirier by her dentist. Working off those findings, prosecutors called on "state-of-the-art, highly qualified experts to put together" a likely scenario of what happened, said Tom Pertler, assistant Carlton County Attorney who prosecuted the case.

Prosecutors also worked with testimony from eyewitnesses who placed Blom and his truck at or near the crime scene and a store surveillance tape that showed a man looking like Blom leading Poirier out the door.

Even then, Pertler said, defense attorneys still asked prospective jurors during jury selection, "Do you think Katie Poirier is dead?"

"In this case, we had to add up every piece of circumstantial evidence that put him at the scene," Pertler said. "But a lot of that stuff I don't need in a typical case where there is a body."

In the Sjodin case, if more evidence is uncovered in coming weeks or if her body is found, the kidnapping charge against Rodriguez would likely be amended to include murder. Yet even without a body, Backstrom and other prosecutors say the case against Rodriguez is strong.

Like Bell and Blom, Rodriguez is a repeat sex offender. What's more, the physical evidence against him, which includes a DNA match of the blood found in his car with DNA from Sjodin's toothbrush, is strong.

Backstrom said it also will help prosecutors that DNA technology, in its infancy more than a decade ago, has improved greatly over the years and is now "fully accepted" by the courts and understood by jurors.

"Today, from very small quantities of blood, you can produce a DNA match," he said.

Prosecutors also are now allowed to tell jurors at trial the significance of the DNA match.

In 1992, "we couldn't use statistical data to explain just how rare a chance it would be that anyone else in the population could have left the sample that had been tested," Backstrom said. "And that's a very important part of the testimony to explain the significance of that to the jury. Twelve years ago, it was good evidence. But it didn't carry the same weight it does today.

"It's a strong case," he added. "The prosecutors are doing exactly what they needed to do."

Said Goff, "You have to prove there was a death, but I don't think it's a huge obstacle in this case. Circumstantially, they have a very, very good case."

Richard Meryhew is at richm@startribune.com.

© Copyright 2003 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

camsmom
12-23-2003, 02:50 AM
Dru is dead and her body will be found in the spring, down river. God love her, I believe that she fought for her life!!!!!

HappyChic727
12-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Camsmom:

Are you a psychic? Is this your prediction? Lord knows we need something to go by.

Merry Christmas,

Happy

Trino
12-25-2003, 06:42 AM
God bless Dru's family and friends this holiday as they contemplate her disappearance and pray for a miracle.

MissMisty
12-26-2003, 03:08 AM
Posts on Dru's website say that searches are on for this weekend! Dru's mom is on Gretta's show on Fox right now discussing Dru's disappearance. Just wanted to post this before the forum goes belly-up.
Misty

MissMisty
12-26-2003, 03:09 AM
BUMP

blueclouds
12-29-2003, 03:02 AM
:( ANOTHER search scheduled... unfortunately, I think she'll surface from the river where her shoe was found. But, who knows

http://crime.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.kstp.com/article/view/125629/

dannyodie
12-30-2003, 07:08 AM
I have been reading much of the forums about dru. alot of places this fellow could have taken this woman. I wonder if anyone or the police have check his moms home, and places around his neighborhood? I read sometime back that someone said he was a carpenter or a drywall finisher? if he was working on a sub division project at the time she was abducted maybe he took her to one of those places. I have also read where one of her shoes was located beneath a bridge at a river, were there places before getting to the bridge where one could pull off the roadway? Iam from the south so I don't know much about when the weather turns to freezing temps enough to freeze the river, was the river just beginning to freeze that time of year or was it still flowing, if she were weighted down with stuff then naturally she would sink. the dive teams, have they found anything at all? could he just throw her over and the current sweep her downstream?

starpatch
12-30-2003, 12:16 PM
I think she is in the river.
This case made me so darn mad at the system, in Minnesota.
Now I am definetly for the death penalty...was on the fence before. :twocents:

alpharee
12-30-2003, 06:04 PM
I think she is in the river.
This case made me so darn mad at the system, in Minnesota.
Now I am definetly for the death penalty...was on the fence before. :twocents:

I think she's in the river as well. And I hate the SOB that's sitting up there in his nice and cozy cell while all these volunteers were in the freezing temps trying to find her. I hope he suffers..........apparently he enjoys prison since he couldn't wait to get out and commit more crimes. Wish there was another punishment that could be given to him. But oh I forget, criminals have all the rights :furious:

Texana
12-30-2003, 10:07 PM
One of the significant differences between the Smart case and other missing young women cases is, Utah has a substantial, if not well known, number of people who believe in taking very young wives (and multiple wives at that.) There are a number of people who practise an extreme version of the Mormon religion--and nobody in Utah seemed to consider it odd that a bearded man was walking around in unusual clothing accompanied by two women in veiled clothing (until someone recognized Elizabeth.)

I've always thought that the Smart family had an idea that their daughter may well have been abducted for that purpose, and I thought from the very beginning that there would be a connection with one of these extreme cult-type people--that their religion would play a factor in the whole case.

The other cases don't have this factor, and without the motivation to keep the young women alive as "wives," the need to dominate and subdue and then kill these women seems to be the motivation for the scum responsible.

Why are these people ever let out on parole? They can't be reformed, and they seem to wind up back in society, killing again and again.

Look at the case of Kenneth Wayne McDuff in Texas. He managed to get out of the death penalty when the Supreme Court declared it cruel and unusual, even though he had cruelly killed three teenagers in Texas. (probably due to corruption in the parole system.) He abducted and killed at least three young women after being let out of prison before he finally got the lethal injection here.

We are turning loose these vicious monsters and they prey upon our children.

Trino
12-31-2003, 02:21 PM
I, too, believe that Dru was thrown in the river. If so, spring will reveal all, and, hopefully, there will be evidence to convict Rodriguez.

dannyodie
12-31-2003, 03:14 PM
what time of year does the river there freeze up? does it freeze entirly? or just in places? if it freezes to the point a person could walk safetly onto it,I wonder if a device similar to ground penetrating radar could be of any good at this point? Ok so lets suppose he tossed here into the river, most likely he would have just pulled over and thru her over real quick like. would he have taken the time to weight her body down with something and add that much more weight too lift? if he did not weight her down then I wonder how far she could have been swept by the river current? sorry for all the questions, I'am not at all familiar with the layout of the area geographically at all. I'am sure the police or some agency has at some point early on done a shoreline search haven't they? like all the others my prayers go out to the family and friends as they try and cope with there uncertainty of there loved one.. :rolleyes:

Lilybug1
12-31-2003, 03:41 PM
Hi, I was born and raised in FL so I don't know much about water freezing over, but I wonder if when a body is in a frozen body of water if it stops the decomposition process and preserves the body. I remember recently reading about a NY man who went snowboarding in the Swiss Alps or somewhere like in Europe and disappeared. Like 15 years had gone by, due to warming, his body came to the surface (well preserved I understand with his wallet in his back pocket). Perhaps I misunderstanding a million different things about this story. But the point is that if this sicko dumped her body into the now frozen river (which presumably froze over soon after dumping her), if her body is found soon after the thawing would her body still bear the tell-tale signs of how he killed her?

johnny
01-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Danny, how much weight does it take to submerge a body? I tried to research that in a scuba diving site but no luck. I don't think it takes a whole lot of weight initially to submerge a body but it would depend on the persons size and other factors. Obviously this is fresh water versus salt and surely as time goes by and as decomposing starts plus the water temperature and river current enter into the equation things will change. Seems like there should be a diving formula that would answer this question.

130lbs plus the added weight would be hard to manage from a river bank. Plus getting into a deep area with no one seeing him. Just hard to imagine a guy leaving the knife sheath behind, blood, etc. etc. and they only found a shoe..........I spoke to a guy who ran some river searches and he said what they did was went down stream and took a chain link fence and stretched it across the river to catch the possible body. I know the river is frozen and I don't know how deep a river and if it is even navigable.

Wish we had some pictures of the area where the shoe was found.

johnny
01-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Information about the river near Crookston.

Red Lake River
The Red Lake River is one of the few canoeing rivers in northwest Minnesota, the Red Lake flows westward from Upper and Lower Red Lake to join the Red River in East Grand Forks.

Water characteristics - This is generally a smooth flowing river except below St. Hilaire to almost Crookston. In this area a chain of easily navigable boulder-field rapids and pools interrupts the Red Lake in this 17-mile stretch where the river drops 110 feet, some of these rapids can be Class II at high and low water levels.

Landscape - Marshy wilderness, flat farmland, towering eroded cliffs and steep, wooded banks characterize the Red Lake River. Above the dam at river mile 181 the river flows through marshland in the Red Lake Indian Reservation. White and yellow water lilies, wild rice and cattails thrive here.

Below the dam the river is flanked by a prairie that is at times bright with wildflowers. Trees are sparse and small on the low grassy banks. Near High Landing the trees become larger and the river meanders through farmland. Stands of willow, elm and cottonwood are interspersed with open fields. Residential development is extensive along the banks at Thief River Falls.

Below St. Hilaire the banks steepen and are heavily wooded to Red Lake Falls. High, nearly vertical, eroded cliffs and the first of many huge slump areas are encountered near Red Lake Falls. Entire hillsides have been torn away by spring floods and deposited in the river. In its lower reaches the river meanders through farmland, often screened from the river by stands of elm, willow and cottonwood.

Fish and wildlife - The river supports several species of game fish, including northern pike, walleye, and channel catfish. The Red Lake River is particularly noted for its channel catfish angling. Some of the most popular fishing areas are located below the Otter Tail Power Company dams in both Crookston and Red Lake Falls, and near the junctions of the Red Lake with the Thief, Clearwater and Black rivers.

Wildlife along the Red Lake River is varied and abundant. Wooded bottomlands provide excellent habitat for wood duck and deer. Fox, grouse, beaver, mink, muskrat, weasel, coyote, squirrel, rabbit and raccoon range through the region. Bottomlands and scattered oxbows attract mallards, blue-winged teal, great blue herons, shorebirds, owls and numerous species of songbirds. The marsh is inhabited by blackbirds, snipes, wrens, gulls, great blue herons and many ducks inhabit.

Cultural Information - Just downstream from Huot is the Old Crossing Treaty State Historical Wayside Park, where in 1863 the Ojibwe Indians ceded almost 10 million acres of land for white settlement of the Red River Valley. This also was an important crossing of the Red River Oxcart Trail, the tracks of which are still partially visible. The area now is primarily utilized for agriculture. Sugar beets are a dominate crop on the western end of the river.

johnny
01-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Red Lake River
The Red Lake River is one of the few canoeing rivers in northwest Minnesota, the Red Lake flows westward from Upper and Lower Red Lake to join the Red River in East Grand Forks.

Water characteristics - This is generally a smooth flowing river except below St. Hilaire to almost Crookston. In this area a chain of easily navigable boulder-field rapids and pools interrupts the Red Lake in this 17-mile stretch where the river drops 110 feet, some of these rapids can be Class II at high and low water levels.

Landscape - Marshy wilderness, flat farmland, towering eroded cliffs and steep, wooded banks characterize the Red Lake River. Above the dam at river mile 181 the river flows through marshland in the Red Lake Indian Reservation. White and yellow water lilies, wild rice and cattails thrive here.

Below the dam the river is flanked by a prairie that is at times bright with wildflowers. Trees are sparse and small on the low grassy banks. Near High Landing the trees become larger and the river meanders through farmland. Stands of willow, elm and cottonwood are interspersed with open fields. Residential development is extensive along the banks at Thief River Falls.

Below St. Hilaire the banks steepen and are heavily wooded to Red Lake Falls. High, nearly vertical, eroded cliffs and the first of many huge slump areas are encountered near Red Lake Falls. Entire hillsides have been torn away by spring floods and deposited in the river. In its lower reaches the river meanders through farmland, often screened from the river by stands of elm, willow and cottonwood.

Fish and wildlife - The river supports several species of game fish, including northern pike, walleye, and channel catfish. The Red Lake River is particularly noted for its channel catfish angling. Some of the most popular fishing areas are located below the Otter Tail Power Company dams in both Crookston and Red Lake Falls, and near the junctions of the Red Lake with the Thief, Clearwater and Black rivers.

Wildlife along the Red Lake River is varied and abundant. Wooded bottomlands provide excellent habitat for wood duck and deer. Fox, grouse, beaver, mink, muskrat, weasel, coyote, squirrel, rabbit and raccoon range through the region. Bottomlands and scattered oxbows attract mallards, blue-winged teal, great blue herons, shorebirds, owls and numerous species of songbirds. The marsh is inhabited by blackbirds, snipes, wrens, gulls, great blue herons and many ducks inhabit.

Cultural Information - Just downstream from Huot is the Old Crossing Treaty State Historical Wayside Park, where in 1863 the Ojibwe Indians ceded almost 10 million acres of land for white settlement of the Red River Valley. This also was an important crossing of the Red River Oxcart Trail, the tracks of which are still partially visible. The area now is primarily utilized for agriculture. Sugar beets are a dominate crop on the western end of the river.

johnny
01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Like the Crookston to Fisher segment, this segment is a long haul. Paddling from Fisher's Landing to East Grand Forks will be a long 11-12 hour day of continuous paddling. The river is slow and meanders in almost complete circles. You can cut the trip short by negotiating the grassy and muddy banks at the Hwy. 220 bridge about 5 river miles upstream of East Grand Forks. Or start a trip here for a short, leisurely afternoon float into town. If you are at all apprehensive about such a long trek, a small skiff with a motor is the most enjoyable mode of transport through this section. Perhaps future improvements to the trail will provide a few more access points and possibly some areas to camp for the night. There are no dams between these points and the river is almost always navigable, even during low flows. Fishing is good, as catfish become more abundant and the presence of pike, walleye, smallmouth bass, drum, and goldeye provide a diverse catch.

Red River at East Grand Forks
Flood Stage: 28 Feet

Latest Stage:15.29 Feet at 20:00 CST 01/01
[Graph Description] [Feedback] [Text Products] [Precip.]
[Impacts] [Map] [Historical Crests] [Low Water Events]

North Central
River Forecast Center

Red Lake River at Crookston
Flood Stage: 15 Feet

Latest Stage:5.09 Feet at 20:00 CST 01/01
[Graph Description] [Feedback] [Text Products] [Precip.]
[Impacts] [Map] [Historical Crests] [Low Water Events]

Ghostwheel
01-02-2004, 01:09 AM
If the river was partially frozen, you would not necessarily have to weight a body to submerge it. If it got under the ice at any point, then finished freezing, it'll stay put until thaw, and then it could end up anywhere.

This wasn't about human remains, but still informational.
http://www.blm.gov/education/00_resources/articles/alaskas_cold_desert/classroom.html
"Nevertheless, the net effect of the arctic climate is to slow the rate of decomposition."

dannyodie
01-02-2004, 07:03 AM
johnny, I myself don't know exactly the amout of weight to submerge a body, I am sure that a scuba diving formula only indicates the weight that is to be used in conjunction to the tanks on the back of the diver, I think those belts weigh about 80 pounds. you know I wonder if where the shoe was found is the only location that a body could have been tossed over the bridge? like you I would like to see a picture of that location. any one reading this, do you know if the shoe was found at the edge of the water as if it was deposited there by the river or was it on the shore line to far to have been put there by river current? maybe look upstream from that location along the shoreline. maybe somewhere there is a isolated location which one could drive to the river edge, maybe he knew of some fishing spots that were isolated.

Trino
01-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Minnesotan here. It gets plenty cold here by Thanksgiving. A pro team was drilling holes in the ice during the search. That would have been just after Thanksgiving. I would doubt that Rodriguez would have been careful enough to weigh a body down. If he just dumped the body in the river, the guess is that it will emerge downstream in the spring. LE could probably have placed something across the river, except they had no clue as to where to look earlier. By that time a body could have been anywhere.

Imon128
01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I hope that the SOB who did this to this young gal gets caught and justice will get served. Her cellphone use was a clue, in a way, but I only wish she'd have been able to give more info to her boyfriend. Obviously, the fiend knew how to attack one using a cellphone. You'd think that would be a real safeguard against attacks. It surely beats nothing, though. There was that one chance she might have been able to give some more info. My biggest hope is that she'll come home like Elizabeth Smart...alive.

Trino
01-02-2004, 10:52 PM
I think we're too dependent on the idea that a cell phone can save you. Once attacked, a cell phone would be difficult to use. There was one poster that set her phone to 91, just needed to press the last 1. That might work. But, as in Dru's case, who would have thought of being attacked at a shopping mall at 5:00 p.m.? Who would bother to set a phone just walking to your car as Dru did? What if the culprit just threw the phone out a window? Would you be saved? The whistle that has been mentioned seems a better idea.

Imon128
01-03-2004, 08:56 AM
I think we're too dependent on the idea that a cell phone can save you. Once attacked, a cell phone would be difficult to use. There was one poster that set her phone to 91, just needed to press the last 1. That might work. But, as in Dru's case, who would have thought of being attacked at a shopping mall at 5:00 p.m.? Who would bother to set a phone just walking to your car as Dru did? What if the culprit just threw the phone out a window? Would you be saved? The whistle that has been mentioned seems a better idea.

I agree about relying on the cell phone, after this case. It is a good feature to have the 91/911 auto feature on it, but does that only give location? If that's all, that alone is a good thing, but perhaps there could be some expediancy to being able to leave a message once that feature is used. I'm not very well educated in that feature, but with all the new technology, you'd think that there would be some way for a person to speak quickly to LE in this instance. I feel that in the future, this will be worked out, too, but unfortunately for this young lady, all that seemed to be an aside. I'm still praying that Dru will come home, as Elizabeth Smart did, but I'm not all that optimistic.

johnny
01-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I noticed in the river guide report that this section of river is only about five feet deep at Crookston and increases to around fifteen feet in Grand Forks. Also part of this stretch of river has class II rapids and the rest moves very slow and would take about twelve hours to navigate by canoe.

Also remember the speaker wire found in his car and in the garage at his mothers home.

Trino
01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I don't think he is capable of planning. The man does not make me think of intelligence. I feel he used the speaker wire to tie her up rather than to dispose of Dru. My guess is that the second phone call was from Dru and that she was caught trying to use the phone. Whatever... he's never going to tell the truth.

johnny
01-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Not capable of planning? This guy spent 23 years in prison!

He survived prison, got out found a job and found another victim.

Now he's being protected by his surrogate mother ( the system)

Bottom line is most people just talk about this stuff but never do a dad gum thing to make a difference................talk without action.

Mitty
01-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Cass......here's a website that show's the alarm.
http://www.smartcart.com/selfdefence/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=KC45

I found another web site that has the same alarm, but for about $5 less...

http://www.safetynow.com/personal01.htm

Love_Mama
01-05-2004, 03:34 PM
I found another web site that has the same alarm, but for about $5 less...

http://www.safetynow.com/personal01.htm

Mitty....thank's for the site...I think I paid too much for mine. However..I got free priority shipping.
xxxxo
mama

kgeaux
01-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks to Love Mama and Mitty for the information about the personal alarms. I live in an area that has had several "attempted abductions" of women from parking lots (mall and downtown area) over the last year and a half, and you've both spurred me on to purchase one of these.

Mitty
01-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Mitty....thank's for the site...I think I paid too much for mine. However..I got free priority shipping.
xxxxo
mama

No problem Mama. After reading about the personal alarms here in the forum, I went out and start looking for information on the internet. I hadn't thought about a personal alarm until I read it here, but now I am thinking of getting one for myself, my neices, sister's-in-law, and my mother. These are a great idea. I know there is no guarantee this, or anything else, will prevent something from happening, but this is an affordable item, and could help.... Better than doing nothing!

scandi
01-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Morning,

Does anyone have info on the new search for Dru tht I heard about on the news last night. Did this monster give them some info?

Scandi

alpharee
01-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Shocking allegations from a former prison mate of Alphonso Rodriguez, Jr. He says the Department of Corrections had plenty of warning that the convicted sex offender may strike again.

The Department of Corrections admits it made a mistake by letting Rodriguez go free. And Governor Pawlenty's already moving forward with plans to change the state's sex offender release process. But tonight, you'll hear from a Moose Lake inmate who says you haven't heard the full story yet.

Full Story (http://www.kstp.com/article/view/125950/)

alpharee
01-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Morning,

Does anyone have info on the new search for Dru tht I heard about on the news last night. Did this monster give them some info?
Scandi
Got this from the Dru Message Boards:
There are two separate search efforts scheduled at present.

*January 17th and 18th will be an all-volunteer effort searching areas West
of Grand Forks.
*January 22nd, 23rd and 24th will be a combined effort, organized by the
family, using some resources from this group and overseen by local LE. This
search will probably be outside of Crookston, although that may change.
Not sure if new info has came out or not, can't find any info about it.

starpatch
01-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Morning,

Scandi

I heard yesterday (friday) on FOX, that the search will be conducted by the family on January 22, to commenerate Dru's disappearance on Nov 22.

It will involve her family, They plan to search various places that LE did not search.

Also heard at the same time that the creep is NOT speaking!!!

Even though there is a Gag Order, the creeps defence atty..has been having lots of face time with reporters, and, apparently the Judge is going to do something soon.

Ivy
01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
If Dru's family is going to conduct a search for her body in areas that haven't been previously searched, what are they waiting for? I'm glad they're going to do it, but why wait for the 22nd? I don't understand why it's important to them to memorialize the date of her disappearance in this way, when searching now could produce her remains.

Edited to add that I just saw the post stating that volunteers will search on the 17th, etc. Why not now? Is there too much snow?

Trino
01-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Many volunteers have searched for Dru, but paid searchers are needed, often with specialized equipment. People with these types of equipment already have volunteered many hours, but there is a limit as to how much time they can be expected to contribute. I believe there was a fund raiser recently that raised $3,000, which is probably why there will be another search. It's not like you can just go out and walk fields for miles, although I suspect the family has probably done this.

scandi
01-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Hi, and thanks for answering me . When I half-heard this on the news, my heart literally skipped a beat. I so wanted her to be found. She was trapped and killed like she was an animal he was hunting. And my heart could see her struggle and feel the pain her family felt when they couldn't find her.

I hope the Crookston search is forthcoming, mainly because he lived near there. I hope they have seached the mom's house inside and out, with something that could detect her. Oh, guess dogs would do that, if the mom let them in with the dogs. Could see her up in an attic where you normally wouldn't look.

Scandi

Trino
01-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Last night I drove from a university event home. The trip was about 5 hours. About an hour from home I absolutely needed to use the bathroom. Gas stations seemed non-existent, but there was a rest stop coming up; in fact, it was quite nice. However, as I entered the stop, there was only one car in the lot, and its owner appeared to be rumaging through the trash. I absolutely felt unsafe, but you can bet I was aware of my surroundings before leaving the building for my car. (The guy was still going through the trash.)

One way I would have felt more protected and less isolated would have been for the rest stop NOT to separate trucks and autos. And, an alarm would have made me feel better. You can bet I purchased one today!

Sharry
01-11-2004, 05:42 PM
I have also read where one of her shoes was located beneath a bridge at a river, were there places before getting to the bridge where one could pull off the roadway? I am from the south so I don't know much about when the weather turns to freezing temps enough to freeze the river, was the river just beginning to freeze that time of year or was it still flowing, if she were weighted down with stuff then naturally she would sink. the dive teams, have they found anything at all? could he just throw her over and the current sweep her downstream?

I think she's in the river, and if she is, she won't be found til spring when the snow's gone. She probably wasn't weighed down with anything, but maybe. If she's in there, she is most likely caught up on something like dead tree branches below the waterline, and that would hold her down.

Trino
01-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Life is at times so unfair. Dru seemed such a vivacious young lady at her prime, so filled with life. How can an individual live, knowing that he has committed this crime? How can he not have a conscience? There will be no jury that will show sympathy.

starpatch
01-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Life is at times so unfair. Dru seemed such a vivacious young lady at her prime, so filled with life. How can an individual live, knowing that he has committed this crime? How can he not have a conscience? There will be no jury that will show sympathy.
I feel the same way as you do. :(
And The killer won't talk. He is hiding behind his disgusting Atty.
But, Dru had no one to protect her!
This is such a heartbreaking case. :rolleyes:

partyuv5
01-13-2004, 03:51 AM
I wish I could say that Dru would be found alive. But I think he he got what he wanted from her and was done. He didn't want to be caught again so he got rid of the evidence. I believe Dru's body is in the river. But...Dru's spirit lives on. Watching over those that care and rocking Connor!

starpatch
01-15-2004, 03:55 PM

please post new information only here.
startribune.com

Hearing for Sjodin kidnap suspect delayed

Associated Press
Published 01/15/2004

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- A preliminary hearing for the Minnesota man charged with kidnapping University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin has been delayed until March so he can be examined by a psychiatrist.

Grand Forks County Magistrate David Vigeland set a new hearing date of March 5 for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.. The hearing had been scheduled for Feb. 4.

Rodriguez' attorney, David Dusek, asked for more time ``because of the uncertainty of the mental status'' of his client.

Sonja Clapp, assistant Grand Forks County state's attorney, joined in the defense motion, saying the extra time is needed to get Rodriguez' records from the Minnesota prison system.

Rodriguez, 50, a convicted rapist, remains jailed in Grand Forks on $5 million bail. He was arrested Dec. 1 in his hometown of Crookston, Minn.

Sjodin, 22, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., disappeared Nov. 22 from the parking lot of a Grand Forks mall. She has not been found. Dusek said earlier that Rodriguez has denied any involvement in her disappearance.

Northeast Central District Judge Lawrence Jahnke on Wednesday approved Dusek's request that Fargo psychiatrist Dr. Edward Kelly be hired to evaluate Rodriguez.

Kelly testified earlier this week at the sentencing of Paul Sambursky, a former University of North Dakota student who pleaded guilty to assaulting five women in and around campus.

Jahnke has barred attorneys in the Rodriguez case from talking with the media.

© Copyright 2004 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Love_Mama
01-26-2004, 12:25 PM
xxxxxxoo
mama.......don't know if we can link yet......so am pasting the story.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/7780451.htm

Posted on Fri, Jan. 23, 2004
Dru Sjodin disappearance - a mother and father look
Allan Sjodin and Linda Walker continue search
By STEPHEN J. LEE
Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald

More photos Herald photo by John Stennes
A group of family and friends look for UND student Dru Sjoden, missing since November search the banks of a ditch in Polk County on Thursday morning.

Linda Walker and Allan Sjodin drove together around Polk County on Thursday with the unenviable task of looking for places where their daughter may have been left by the man charged with making her disappear.

Joined by about 20 other searchers - relatives and friends - Dru Sjodin's parents braved bone-chilling temperatures made colder by a brisk morning wind.

It was the first time for Dru Sjodin's mother to get out and search the stretching Red River Valley land around Crookston, the hometown of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.

He remains in the Grand Forks

jail, charged with kidnapping Sjodin Nov. 22 from a Grand Forks shopping mall parking lot. Imprisoned for more than half his life for three sex crimes involving kidnapping and sexually assaulting women, Rodriguez, 50, has denied any involvement in Sjodin's disappearance. That means he hasn't told investigators much about Sjodin's whereabouts.

Hope remains

Prosecutors say they have evidence of Sjodin's blood in Rodriguez's car. On the two-month anniversary of her vanishing, searching for her would seem as bleak as the winter day.

But Walker and Sjodin remain steadfast in hoping against hope and graciously handle the interminable news media pressure.

They said that while they early on attempted to contact Rodriguez to seek help, now they are focused on searching for their daughter. Cousins, siblings and friends are around them, helping search.

Sjodin and Walker are divorced but have kept a united front in the search.

He has been in Grand Forks nearly every week since Nov. 22, when Sjodin disappeared, driving the countryside in Polk and Grand Forks counties, looking.

She has been to Grand Forks more than once in that time, but never out on a search like this, Walker said.

She and a close friend, Liz Nelson of Duluth, spent the day driving back and forth between Beltrami and Maple Lake, sometimes with two teams of bloodhound handlers. Allan Sjodin was with them for part of the time.

She keeps her hopes and spirits high, buoyed by "Dru's spirit, who she is and who she is about," Walker said. "I'm not naive. But as a mother, as a parent, I think anybody would understand that you can strive to fight for your child and find the means. That's what gets us through."

The day started with temperatures at 15 below zero as the search party mustered in Crookston. The news media, including Twin Cities reporters and photographers attracted again by the first large search effort since last month, joined a long caravan of vehicles.

A rectangular area roughly six miles wide, stretching from six miles west of Beltrami, Minn., to six miles east of the small town of 101 people was covered, said Bob Heales. It was an area just southeast of what had been closely covered by law enforcement-led searches in November and December, Heales said.

"We covered about 70 square miles, more than we expected," said the Denver private investigator and Sjodin family friend. "We will start east of there tomorrow."

Walker and Sjodin went with the two bloodhound teams to check an area near Maple Lake, at the lake's outlet on the north side where the water was still unfrozen.

According to law enforcement investigators, Rodriguez was known to fish on the lake and was familiar with the area, which also is along the route he traveled to work, said Heales.

Cold doesn't help

But while cold temperatures normally don't hinder blood hounds' acute smelling abilities, Thursday was a little too much for the dogs, said Denny Adams, the Conde, S.D., owner of Dakota Territory Search Dog. His *****, Calamity Jane, is 10 and a real veteran.

"She searched for the Olympic bomber, that Rudolph guy, in the North Carolina mountains," Adams said. "I've taken her over to East Africa for a search."

A couple of 15-minute sessions of snuffling through snow didn't work well for her, though.

"If it was just 15 degrees warmer, it would make a big difference," said Adams at noon, giving her the rest of the day off. Nolan Baldwin, of Edgeley, N.D., works with Adams, using his own bloodhound, Jethro, who is 5.

The human searchers stayed close to their vehicles, too, walking in ditches and through grassy areas.

"As Minnesotans, it's cold, but not as cold as we know it can be," Walker said. "We are thankful the winds have ceased and died off. When you are out there walking, you can stay somewhat warm. Certainly, the weather is something that you don't pay attention to when you are on a mission."

Boyfriend searches

Chris Lang, Dru's boyfriend, who last heard her voice on her cell phone Nov. 22 at the moment investigators think she was abducted, explained why he was back to trudge through hard-packed snow drifts and over frozen ditch water along fields barren of all but a frozen white.

"She's the woman I love," he explained. "She's still out there."

More searchers, perhaps 50 or more, are expected to join the group today and Saturday, Heales said.

Areas on both sides of U.S. Highway 2 east of Mentor, Minn., will be covered, he said.

Walker, who is staying in Grand Forks, will keep on.

The Dru Sjodin story has captured interest of people worldwide and she hears from many of them, Walker said.

Stopping for a coffee break in the Beltrami Mall Cafe, Sjodin and Walker were recognized instantly by Sue Anderson, who served them.

"Your money's no good here," she said. "Our hearts are with you."

That kind of response helps, Walker said.

"It feels wonderful to be close to all these people who have been so tremendously supportive of my family," she said. "So that feels good, helping us keep Dru's voice alive."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reach Lee at (701) 780-1237, or (800) 477-6572, extension 237; e-mail slee@gfherald.com

starpatch
01-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Love_Mama, thanks for posting the article.
This tradgedy has touched so many hearts.

Every time I see a picture of Dru, I could cry.

And the murderer sits quietly in a warm jail while all of these relatives and friends search for where AR left here, not saying a word!

This case makes me very very angry! I am so disappointed in the State Attorney as well, because he boldly annpounced right after AR was caught that there were No Deals....I don't wnat that creep to have any deal, but, maybe they could have found what he did with Dru, so the family would know where she is.

Jack
02-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Info on search for Dru

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7888710.htm

starpatch
02-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Info on search for Dru

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7888710.htm
I wish they could find that lovely lady alive....you just never know.

Peekaboo
02-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Does anyone read on Sandra Blelanger's site?? She had posted that either the 'folks' or Dru herself (through EVP) sent a message that she would be found in a Jeep on a farm in the area. She gave the name of the farm's owner; but apparently someone tried to contact him, and Sandra was quite upset about it.

I'm wondering if Sandra told LE this information?? Or, would they even have followed up on it considering the source??

scandi
02-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi Peek!

Good to see you ;) I belong but haven't read there in a while. I'll have to go look today. Thanks for the tip. I just feel so horribly sad for her family. They are still trudging through search after search to find their girl. She was so special to them.

I wish the little girlie in Minnesota would be found.

Scandi

johnny
02-08-2004, 07:40 PM
This article is interesting about the struggle in the back seat and the window scuffs!

Carlie

Suspect's borrowed car showed signs of a struggle
When the man accused of killing Carlie Brucia returned the car, "you could see something happened" inside it, a business partner says.
By LEANORA MINAI, Times Staff Writer
Published February 8, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photo: Michael Rondou]
Stephanie Thayer prays for Carlie Brucia as she leaves flowers outside her home.

SARASOTA - The yellow station wagon Joseph P. Smith borrowed at the time Carlie Brucia went missing was returned a day late with about 300 extra miles on the odometer and the back of a front seat scuffed by an apparent struggle, a close friend of Smith's said Saturday.

Ed Dinyes, 44, said Smith borrowed the 1992 Buick Century last Sunday from a friend he had been living with and returned it with smudge marks on the back windows. Smith was only supposed to take the car for an hour, but he didn't return it until the following day, Dinyes said.

Dinyes said the owner, Jeffrey Pincus, asked Smith what happened inside the car when he finally brought it back.

"He really didn't have an answer," Dinyes said.

Carlie, 11, was abducted last Sunday and her body was found Friday beneath a pile of brush at a Sarasota church.

A surveillance camera aimed at the parking lot of a carwash captured a stream of digital images of a man in a mechanic's shirt confronting Carlie, grabbing her arm, then leading her away.

On Saturday, while mourners left flowers, notes and teddy bears at Carlie's home, lawyers for Smith briefly appeared in a Manatee County courtroom. Smith, who has been arrested at least 13 times in Florida since 1993, including in two attacks on women, is being held without bail. His next court appearance is March 12.

Carlie's slaying has prompted Florida's attorney general to investigate stiffening penalties for offenders who violate the terms of their release. Smith is a drug felon who had been free despite violating probation.

"You can't help but think that some of the statutes are too permissive," Attorney General Charlie Crist told the Associated Press. "It's important we review putting more teeth in our statutes. ... It's got to be ratcheted up very quickly."

Sheriff's investigators continued to ask the public for help in finding Carlie's pink backpack and tracking the car's whereabouts during the time Smith is alleged to have been driving it.

Dinyes, who opened Saurus auto repair with Smith last year in Sarasota, provided a more detailed account of Smith's movements last week.

Three days before Carlie's abduction, the transmission on Smith's car broke, Dinyes said. Dinyes, who sports a tattoo of motorcycle pistons on his right arm that Smith inked himself, offered up a van that had been in the shop. He thought it would be perfect for Smith and his three young daughters.

Dinyes wanted to help out because he knew Smith's wife wanted a divorce and had kicked him out of their house for using drugs. After all, the two men met five years ago when Smith stopped to help Dinyes when his motorcycle ran out of gas.

Smith was in the shop Friday, working on the van, Dinyes said. He replaced the fuel pump.

On Sunday, the day Carlie disappeared, Smith borrowed the car from Pincus, his roommate, Dinyes said.

The station wagon was soon captured in the surveillance video, three minutes before Carlie's abduction from Evie's Car Wash. Bloodhounds had followed Carlie's scent to the carwash, but it abruptly disappeared. The owners reviewed their video and discovered the chilling scene of Carlie being led away.

When Pincus got the station wagon back, it was Monday, 16 hours after Smith borrowed it.

"When it came back, the back part of it was destroyed," Dinyes said Pincus told him. "He basically said you could see something happened."

Pincus' wife, Naomi, would not comment Saturday.

Dinyes was off on Monday, celebrating his wife's birthday, but heard from others at the shop that when Smith came into work he was teary-eyed and upset. Smith told co-workers he had high blood pressure and couldn't work, and a friend gave him a ride home.

Clinton Van Zandt, a retired FBI agent who worked in the agency's Behavioral Science Unit, said Saturday the condition of the station wagon suggests Carlie struggled to get away.

She may have been restrained, he said.

"It sounds like she fought right up to the end," Van Zandt said. "It suggests either she was fighting to get out of the car, and/or he assaulted her, and she was fighting him at the time."

The New York Post on Saturday quoted an unnamed source close to the investigation saying, "The initial review of the body indicates she put up a real struggle before she died. She fought desperately."

Investigators have released no details of the circumstances surrounding Carlie's murder, saying only that she died of "homicidal violence."

Van Zandt said the roughly 300 miles Dinyes said were logged on the station wagon may explain why investigators are still asking for the public's help in tracking the vehicle.

"The question is, did he burn those miles up looking for a victim like a shark, looking for someone," Van Zandt said, "or did he find this victim and take her to a distant location and bring her back?"

Van Zandt said investigators may still be looking for the spot where she was murdered. He said that's why finding the backpack is such a priority.

"The backpack is going to link everything together," he said. "If they can't establish whatever assault or murder took place in the car, than perhaps there is another location."

- Times staff writer Carrie Johnson contributed to this report. Leanora Minai can be reached at minai@sptimes.com or 727 893-8406.

Peekaboo
02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi Peek!

Good to see you ;) I belong but haven't read there in a while. I'll have to go look today. Thanks for the tip. I just feel so horribly sad for her family. They are still trudging through search after search to find their girl. She was so special to them.
I wish the little girlie in Minnesota would be found.
Scandi

Hi Scandi!!!! I wish by some miracle she would be found alive; but that is highly unlikely. I pray for her family going through this horrible time.
Here is the page where Sandra updates her findings:

http://groups.msn.com/Dimensions/drusjodincase.msnw

scandi
02-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Peek!

I just read that this morning over there and amazed! Sandra said all her findings have been turned over to Dru's site, so the police must keep up on what is written there, or emailed to the site.

There is a poster driving over from Grand Forks to try to find that farm today and the fence to jump over. The 'jeep' might be covered with snow so she might be hard to find until the thaw sets in.

To me it would be elemental! LOP! They know who owns that farm, and it is very close or adjacent to a place where Alf worked before, so he knows the area really well. Why don't they go to this man who owns the farm, have him give a listing and location of all the old cars and trucks abandoned or not in use on his farm - it is said there are many. The go uncover them from the snow and ice until - voila! - they will find the correct jeep.

I read her body is naked in the passanger seat, then that he put her in a box. Maybe he transported her to the location in a box, then lifted her out and put her in the jeep. They did find 3 empty boxes!

Scandi

mindys
02-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Wow, I just read that update too, I will be floored if she is there and they find her this week, what does anyone have to lose by checking.

scandi
02-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey Mindy's, HI ;) On TV EARLY LOL this morning I heard a bleep again about something new in Dru's case. Did you hear anything? Sandra thought she's be located anytime soon now, right?

I thied to post over there today but can't. Every time I try I get this run time error and it says do you want to degug! Someone here always told me to say no to that.

Scandi

mindys
02-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Scandi, do you have Ad-Aware??

Dru's parents, John Walsh, a few other's were on LKL, last night, I caught it a bit late but I didn't detect anything really new happening, perhaps I should go and look for the transcript of the show to post here.

scandi
02-14-2004, 02:47 PM
No, what is Ad-aware?

mindys
02-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Here's the transcript from LKL, I was going to copy and paste the whole thing but it is really long:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0402/13/lkl.00.html

Peekaboo
02-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Scandi, where did you see that someone was going to that farm to look for Dru today?? I checked on Sandra's board but her last update was Feb. 6th.
That board is hard for me to navigate for some reason.
I also e-mailed our friends in the Grand Forks area about Sandra's site; haven't heard from them as yet.

mindys
02-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Scandi, here is the website for Ad-Aware, when I am noticing speed problems, which seem to be site-specific for me too, I run this and it really seems to help clean off the crap that clogs the computer:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

scandi
02-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks Mindys! You're a love ;} I'll do it later today.

Scandi

scandi
02-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi Mindy's,

I saw a thread there about going to look for that farm that had Grand Forks in the title.

Scandi

mindys
02-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Ya saw it where Scandi. Are people (searcher's) going to look??

dannyodie
02-15-2004, 07:52 AM
those of you looking for ad-ware removal tools should know that there are two types of these pesky little programs that work in the background. ad-ware tracks your surf habits and assist the vendor in what type of pop up ads to bomb you with. the other is what is known as spyware, this is similar to ad ware, except it allows the vendor to see all of your on line activities without you even knowing that it is there. the lavasoft will remove ads only. not spyware. I found a free version of ad/spyware removal tool at webroot.com, it is easy to use and can be config. to work as a browser shield and such to always be looking for those little pesky programs..

scandi
02-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi
Danny, Is a 'run-time error' one of these pasky programs? Is it hard to install? I went to ad-ware, and not being extremely computer literate, I didn't know where to click!

Thanks ahead of time. You guys are great. I can't post on Dimensions because of this. I have never cleared cookies in my puter either as I don't know how to do this. Maybe that doesn't affect this though!

Scandi

nanandjim
02-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Download this free software. It will eliminate pop-up ads. I no longer get any ads after I installed this. You can also turn off the sound, so you don't hear the ads being swatted.
http://www.popswatter.com/?partner=ZPzeb001

mindys
02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the links and info guys! I want it all, LOL!

Prayer's for Dru. We will not forget about you.

dannyodie
02-16-2004, 06:33 AM
to scandi, first answer, a runtime error is basically a bug in a software program, don't be alarmed, a bug is not a virus, runtime error is kinda like a program that runs out of memory and or a conflict with another program which makes another stop running or starting up.. windows xp is one of those that experience this with certain programs. back to www.webroot.com for the program called spysweeper, when the page loads, look across the top of the page, " downloads" click on that and the page will have two columns, buy it or try it , look in try it column and click on spysweeper v2.2 and click to download. you don't have to buy this after the trail period it will keep working just fine. after a time it will pop up to remind you to upgrade, which is purchase just click no and it will continue to work. easy to set up.

seamless
02-16-2004, 04:37 PM
There is some info about fingerprints below. I didn't see anything else posted about them. If there is I am sorry.

http://www.ksfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=1644760&nav=0w0jKosj

Doyle
02-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Friends and family of missing UND student Dru Sjodin searched Tuesday the place where her alleged abductor worked.
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7977545.htm

dannyodie
02-23-2004, 06:03 PM
I wonder if they entertained the idea that if he worked at the construction site they suspect , that he would know of places at that site that was making preparations to pour concrete? maybe he buried her somewhere near that location? and not at the site he actually worked at.

starpatch
02-24-2004, 09:31 PM
startribune.com

Dru Sjodin search continues near Crookston

Associated Press
Published 02/24/2004

CROOKSTON, Minn. -- Searchers looking for University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin say a bloodhound remains interested in a stretch of the Red Lake River near here.

``We're basically working that same area along the river, and near a building,'' search coordinator Bob Heales said.

Denny Adams of Conde, S.D., and his bloodhound, Calamity Jane, have been working with the searchers.

``At some point, Calamity really reacted and was very focused and showed a lot of interest in that same general area,'' Heales said.

``It's just another piece of the puzzle,'' he said. ``Hopefully, it's a big enough piece that it will make sense when we figure it out. But there's definitely some reason she's so interested in that area.''

The bloodhound seemed interested in that same area two weeks ago, near a bridge where authorities found one of Sjodin's shoes just days after she disappeared three months ago.

A Crookston man, Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., is charged with kidnapping Sjodin, 22, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., who disappeared from a Grand Forks mall Nov. 22. Rodriguez has denied any involvement.

© Copyright 2004 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

indigomood
03-05-2004, 09:47 PM
GRAND FORKS, N.D. - A Minnesota crime agent said Friday that authorities' suspicions about Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., "grew at every turn" as they investigated the disappearance of University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin.

"It was through inconsistencies and outright holes that we were able to put into his initial statement, from evidence that we gathered," Agent Daniel Alquist said at a court hearing to determine whether Rodriguez should stand trial for kidnapping Sjodin.

*snip* for rest of story...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040305/ap_on_re_us/missing_student_3

indigomood
03-05-2004, 09:49 PM
GRAND FORKS, N.D. - A convicted rapist was ordered Friday to stand trial on charges he kidnapped a University of North Dakota student who was last seen at a shopping mall in November.

A magistrate judge ruled that prosecutors presented enough evidence to try Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. At a separate hearing moments later, Rodriguez pleaded not guilty to the charge. A trial date was not immediately set.

*snip* for rest of article...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040306/ap_on_re_us/missing_student_8

starpatch
03-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Every time I see Dru's photo I just feel sick.....her killer should be put to death.
I heard today that they will ask for a stipulation inMinnesota and No Dak law for the death penalty for this dirty rat!

indigomood
03-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Every time I see Dru's photo I just feel sick.....her killer should be put to death.
I heard today that they will ask for a stipulation inMinnesota and No Dak law for the death penalty for this dirty rat!

kill his sorry ass along with Joe Smith etc. ooops didn't mean to sugar coat it there. ;)

Trino
03-13-2004, 11:06 AM
There seems to be no movement in locating Dru. Has anyone heard new information?

indigomood
03-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Chris Lang brought his girlfriend, Dru Sjodin, to the state Capitol on Monday.

Not the person, but the image and essence of the missing 22-year-old University of North Dakota student.

"Dru Sjodin is the woman I love. She can make me laugh with the drop of a hat. She's full of life. This room would get brighter if she'd walk in here right now," said Lang. Although Sjodin has been missing for almost five months, Lang spoke of her in the present tense.

Lang and two of Sjodin's cousins went to the Capitol to testify in support of a bill that would require a life sentence without the possibility of release for some first-time sex offenders.

*snip* for rest of article click link...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/8137903.htm

Trino
03-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Minnesota hasn't had a death penalty since 1903, when a hanging went bad. The MN mood isn't to pass it now, despite the Dru Sjodin case.

Trino
03-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Is there any action in the search for Dru? Minnesota is thawing out, although wet/damp. The first tow/barge is on the way to the TC, meaning the Mississippi is no longer frozen. Are there plans to search the Red Lake River again? I have not heard/read about another organized search.

Here's a good link about where the focus seems to be:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8120281.htm

dannyodie
03-20-2004, 11:48 AM
after reading the most updated article concerning this woman I tend to think that she may have been placed in the river at that location in which her shoe was found, I wonder how deep at that location the water would be? wonder if it was shallow enough to wade out into it for a bit to allow a body to become pulled away by the current more easily than it would along the shoreline? I'am sure that the grounds around the site where he fished under the bridge was searched real good. and another thing is that earlier I have read that a search dog had acted curious about a certain location somewhere near some farm area that has been talked about here early on in the threads for dru on the websleuths forums? seems like that the dog had caught a airborn scent and wanted to take off in a perticular direction... maybe if he could have waded into the river that he either let her body loose to sink and float away later, or carried her out there a bit and weighted her body down with some rocks or something.. I don't know alot about that river other than what I have read that the depth of it seems to vary from place to place, but in several locations in and around crookston is about 5 feet or so, and the current is somewhat lazy through much of its downstream journey, maybe she could have drifted a distance that needs to be searched by water to have better access to locations that can't be accessed by land, lots of times when debris is carried by a current that it sometimes becomes deposited along the shoreline, especially in locations where the river would take a sharp bend. " in other words debris, rather a body or a log does not float the river as if it was guided or steered like a boat" river currents change direction and in locations where it may take long slow turns or sharp turns other currents called " eddies" are created and sometimes floating debris can be held in a single location for a period of time. of course in the events of heavy rainfall and heavy snow melt off the current can become much more powerful and the river elevation is up then debris will follow the downstream journey in a more persistant way of going along the route of the river if she was placed there in the river than her remains will most likely be found well downriver of the location where a shoe was found, somewhere along that river and even some of the remote tributaries of it would be likely places to look, by the length of time she has been gone she could have floated out of the area entirely. if he stuck her into a duffelbag or plastic sheeting then weighted it all down with large rocks then she could be still in the general vacinity of the area. of course I am sure water rescue and recovery personel have done a lot of water searches and hopefully they have looked the area over thourghly, a spring thaw is nice to see, but when a river is being searched it can dramatically slow the efforts down due to the increased run off into the river... god bless this family, I'am sure dru is at peace with her maker...

"the above is only my opinions and thoughts to share with the rest of you great minds that post here on websleuths"

Trino
03-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I believe the area to which you're referring was part of a dive team search. They also drilled holes in the ice. Although everyone would like to see Dru's safe return, it's been nearly 4 months. If Dru was killed by A, it is a good bet that he placed her in the river. The river is isolated in several areas. I would guess search teams would, by now, need to walk the entire length of the river.

Doyle
04-08-2004, 06:21 AM
The father of Dru Sjodin took the search for his daughter to a new plane Tuesday, spending the day inspecting the Red Lake River from the water instead of from the banks above.

Allan Sjodin viewed the river in a boat piloted by Rusty Miller, a Crookston Police officer and part-time fishing guide. Accompanied by dog handler Denny Adams and two search dogs, they cruised the river from Crookston half way to Fisher, Minn., and back again, Sjodin said.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8372289.htm

Trino
04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
On Saturday, April 17, there will be a huge coordinated search for Dru.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/8382094.htm

Skinny
04-12-2004, 11:44 PM
I have not been following this too closely. What could have prompted this big search? I think about the family often and wish them all peace and that sometime there may be some answers!

mindys
04-13-2004, 07:21 AM
I have not been following this too closely. What could have prompted this big search? I think about the family often and wish them all peace and that sometime there may be some answers!
The spring thaw? Ice and windy, frigid weather is gone for a while.

Trino
04-13-2004, 06:41 PM
I think two things prompted this search. One was the spring thaw; the other was a fund raiser. They will certainly find her, hopefully soon.

Trino
04-15-2004, 08:28 PM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/8434176.htm

Still no information...

Bubble1421
04-17-2004, 02:05 PM
THEY FOUND HER!!!!!!

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040417134309990004

No details at this time.

Bubble1421
04-17-2004, 02:06 PM
THEY FOUND HER!!!!!!

No details at this time.

Cheetah
04-17-2004, 02:14 PM
CROOKSTON, Minn. - Dru Sjodin, the University of North Dakota student who disappeared last November, has been found, authorities said Saturday.

Sheriff Mark LeTexier sobbed as he told volunteers, "Dru is home." He would not immediately elaborate, though Sjodin has been presumed dead

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4766117/

oceanblueeyes
04-17-2004, 02:14 PM
THEY FOUND HER!!!!!!

No details at this time.

I wonder if she was found in the Red River? It seems logical to me that the bas**** would throw her in there, knowing that she would not be found because of the winter conditions.

I always felt that they would find her when it warmed up, just like Laci Peterson.

So sad and tragic...........God Bless ALL of her family!

Ocean

Mabel
04-17-2004, 02:17 PM
No details have been released yet. I just got this blurb in a breaking news email:

CROOKSTON, Minn. -- Authorities say the search for University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin is over.

The Polk County sheriff said, "Dru is home" to volunteers who had joined in the search for the 22-year-old student missing since November 22.

Sheriff Mark LeTexier said he would give details later.

Juliana
04-17-2004, 02:41 PM
No details have been released yet. I just got this blurb in a breaking news email:

CROOKSTON, Minn. -- Authorities say the search for University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin is over.

The Polk County sheriff said, "Dru is home" to volunteers who had joined in the search for the 22-year-old student missing since November 22.

Sheriff Mark LeTexier said he would give details later.

Thank God for this! I hope it brings some measure of comfort to her family.

"J_R"
04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
CROOKSTON, Minn. - The body of Dru Sjodin, the University of North Dakota student who disappeared last November, has been found, the sheriff said Saturday. Sheriff Mark LeTexier sobbed as he told volunteers, "Dru is home." He later confirmed that authorities had found Sjodin's body.
...snip

Sjodin's parents spoke to a search party of more than 100 on Saturday morning.

"Your legs are our legs today, and our voices for Dru," said her mother, Linda Walker.

Convicted sex offender Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 51, of Crookston, has been charged with kidnapping Sjodin and pleaded not guilty.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8456084.htm

Newswolf
04-17-2004, 02:52 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117398,00.html

Crookston MN side

babylove
04-17-2004, 02:59 PM
I pray her family can now find some sort of peace, and justice will be served to the animal that took Dru from them.

I wonder when/if they will release the circumstances, I have been following Sandra Belanger's ideas on this case, and wondering if there is any truth to what the 'folks' have told her. According to Sandra, her body would be found on a farmers land, and said her body was inside of a jeep or truck (eta: his name is Arnold Phillips). It also said something about this being in Fisher. I'm just glad it was resolved.

Now you can finally rest in peace Dru.

PolkSaladAnnie
04-17-2004, 03:19 PM
OMG!!!!

Although we were expecting this, I'm finished! Thank you bubble, Ocean, cheetah and Newswolf for the links.

Like so many, I also Dru's website the minute it opened; participated in their chat rooms with Razz and team ~ and spent 3 Saturday nights lighting Candles for Dru. This is a poignant moment.

God Bless Dru's family, aunts, uncles, friends, searchers ~ volunteers and everyone involved.

ps: babylove ~ I also followed Sandra's 'feelings'. Did you?

Yakwoman
04-17-2004, 03:29 PM
There is press conference scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Word on the street is that she was found NEAR the river at Crookston, but not IN the river. Something was also said about the farmstead where the dog kept picking up Dru's scent. I'll post more after the press conference.

Yakwoman

Yakwoman
04-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Press conference at 3:00 p.m.!

Yakwoman

Ntegrity
04-17-2004, 03:35 PM
It's hard to believe anyone could be so unfeeling they'd want to harm someone as beautiful and innocent looking as Dru. Sometimes the cruelty in this world is almost more than I can bear. The lovely smiling faces of Dru, Laci, little Jon Benet, and all the others, will haunt me forever. May their murderers never have a moment's peace for what they've done to these poor girls and the families who loved them.

babylove
04-17-2004, 03:36 PM

Yes PSA, I did. I just checked out her site and it also said that she believed AR put Dru into a large box. I am waiting to hear more details, I think her files are very right on for what words they are saying, they say some people can't hear them, but I can, and I think its amazing. I think Sandra's claims as to Laci's murder are right on, again waiting to hear. It would be nice to know for certain that Sandra is really connected with 'the other side'.

I'm just glad they both came home, and they can both rest in peace in a place their families can visit them.

mindys
04-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Dru's boyfriend says her body was found in a revine by a retired sheriff's deputy.

God be with her family. Shedding tears again for Dru today. :(

mindys
04-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Dru's boyfriend says she was found in a revine by a retired sheriff's deputy. (We always get threads going in a couple places here when there is major news)

God Bless the family.

Megan
04-17-2004, 03:47 PM
wow. Relieving that her family will no longer suffer the waiting, but so sad for the new grieving. :(

angelmom
04-17-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm so sorry that it ended this way, but glad for her family that the searching is over.

http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/4766117/

babylove
04-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Is anyone watching the news conference? I am at work and have no TV access!

Yakwoman
04-17-2004, 04:07 PM
The press conference has been postponed until 4:30 p.m. Speculation is that they are waiting to consult with the U.S attorney about the possibility of federal charges being brought against AR. They did say that Dru was found in an area that is about 3 miles from AR's former childhood home.

Yakwoman

fran
04-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Although this ending is what was expected, it doesn't make it any easier when your fears are turned into reality.
How I feel for her family and her boyfriend. He must be so heart-broken he couldn't protect her those final moments.
JMHO
fran

Yakwoman
04-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Press conference has been postponed until 4:30 p.m.

Yakwoman

PolkSaladAnnie
04-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Yes PSA, I did. I just checked out her site and it also said that she believed AR put Dru into a large box. I am waiting to hear more details, I think her files are very right on for what words they are saying, they say some people can't hear them, but I can, and I think its amazing. I think Sandra's claims as to Laci's murder are right on, again waiting to hear. It would be nice to know for certain that Sandra is really connected with 'the other side'.

I'm just glad they both came home, and they can both rest in peace in a place their families can visit them.

Thanks, babylove Hmmmm. I find Sandra's words quite amazing too. I honestly don't know what to believe, (usually rather cynical about these things) but when the unexplained occurs before my very eyes ~ then my mouth gapes. There has to be a reason. My hubby says these are 'guesses'. But .... well let's just say I just 'don't know'!

Also waiting for more news.... It's a sad day and I'm praying for love and stength to Dru's loved ones.

Yakwoman (love that alias) thanks for posting that update!

Ntegrity very touching, thoughtful post.

mindys
04-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Press conference has been postponed until 4:30 p.m.

Yakwoman
Yakwoman, I remember you as the first to bring us info at all about Dru, who she was and what was going on there. Thanks for sticking with this.

mindys
04-17-2004, 04:19 PM
The press conference has been postponed until 4:30 p.m. Speculation is that they are waiting to consult with the U.S attorney about the possibility of federal charges being brought against AR. They did say that Dru was found in an area that is about 3 miles from AR's former childhood home.

Yakwoman
Yes, I'm also hearing that the body was virtually frozen all that time, in decent condition, and they still think they can get fingerprints off of her remains and semen. :sick:

mindys
04-17-2004, 04:21 PM
It's hard to believe anyone could be so unfeeling they'd want to harm someone as beautiful and innocent looking as Dru. Sometimes the cruelty in this world is almost more than I can bear. The lovely smiling faces of Dru, Laci, little Jon Benet, and all the others, will haunt me forever. May their murderers never have a moment's peace for what they've done to these poor girls and the families who loved them.
Very well said, I concur.

babylove
04-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Ok, I shold be home by 5:30 so I will be able to watch the conference.

According to Sandra, 'he took her eastbound' using Rt 2, and that she was near Fisher, not actually in it. This was posted back in January 04. Which makes it very interesting, as I found in this article from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/04/17/missing.student/index.html

After her disappearance, a shoe belonging to Sjodin was found beneath a bridge along the bank of the Red Lake River. The bridge was on a highway heading into Crookston, Rodriguez's hometown, about 25 miles east of Grand Forks.

Can anyone tell me if/when that information was released to the public? I have been praying for Dru, but focusing all my sleuthing on Laci's case so I wouldn't know.

ETA: Sandra also said while back that the cause of death was Dru's throat was had been cut, and she was stabbed once in the heart. How awful. I wonder if they will be able to determine cause of death after all this time? She was outside in the freezing cold so its possible right?

Does North Dakota have the DP? :behindbars:

CARLA
04-17-2004, 04:49 PM
:( May her family now have some peace. :angel:

If it were me, I would wait for next winter, or the exact date he killed her, kill him the exact same way...!! :razz: Then dump his usless body in a raven, and leave it there for months... BUT I'M MEAN THAT WAY.. TO MANY OF THESE USLESS PUKES, CALLED HUMANS PREYING ON OUR KIDS, WOMEN.. SCUM... :behindbar

JUST SICK TO DEATH, WITH THESE GUYS DOING THIS..!! :loser:

babylove
04-17-2004, 04:52 PM

If it were me, I would wait for next winter, or the exact date he killed her, kill him the exact same way...!! :razz: Then dump his usless body in a raven, and leave it there for months... BUT I'M MEAN THAT WAY.. TO MANY OF THESE USLESS PUKES, CALLED HUMANS PREYING ON OUR KIDS, WOMEN.. SCUM... :behindbar

I agree wholeheartedly Carla. Such a waste of a beautiful life, for what, so this sick pig could get his rocks off. Absolutely disgusts me that after being convicted of raping 3 others and sentenced to 23 years in prison he was allowed to roam around civilized people, just to do it to someone else.

Rest in Peace Dru.

newtv
04-17-2004, 05:13 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: couldnt say it any better-my heart weeps for humanity on days like these-another beautiful life snuffed out by the underbelly of life- the worst of the human race-it sure doesnt make any sense that such monsters evoled along with the rest of us..

Jack
04-17-2004, 05:15 PM

I feel the same way. I have no sympathy for these freaks either... :furious:

Newswolf
04-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Here's some possibly good news, which is that the feds may step in to prosecute him, which would make it a death penalty case. (According to Fox news) And I second Carla, let the punishment fit the crime.

babylove
04-17-2004, 05:52 PM
NW is absolutely right. Not only is kidnapping a federal crime, but they are talking because he crossed state lines its a federal crime too.

This guy will get whats coming to him. They had enough evidence without poor Dru's body.

babylove
04-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Neither North Dakota or Minnessota has the death penalty, but I can gaurantee they will br trying this is a Fed case so they will go for the DP.

nanandjim
04-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I wonder what the scumbag weasel is thinking about now. Amazing, they didn't need his help after all.

Casshew
04-17-2004, 06:04 PM
This is such wonderful (yet sad) news... Dru has come home, she can be burried and remembered, her life celebrated. God bless Dru's family & friends today.

Are all the psychics off base again? wasn't she supposed to be in a car on a farm according to them?

babylove
04-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Watching the conference now, they aren't saying much, lots of thanks for all the people who helped look for her.

God, her father looks and sounds so relieved, may their family finally have some peace.

newtv
04-17-2004, 06:20 PM
I guess its a little bit of consolation that the family had 5 months to at least prepare for this- the dad is speaking and he seemed relieved and resigned-it isnt much consolation but maybe not as shocking as it could have been had she been found right away and been murdererd..god I feel sick.

I wonder if they pulled anything out of the perp about her location or if they just went back to where they found an article of her clothing - I know they found something there awhile back-

Rachael
04-17-2004, 07:56 PM
How sad. I am glad the family can finally put her body to rest.

Yakwoman
04-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Yakwoman, I remember you as the first to bring us info at all about Dru, who she was and what was going on there. Thanks for sticking with this.

Thanks, Mindys. The communities of GF/EGF never stopped thinking about Dru. You couldn't go into a store without seeing a "missing" flyer posted in a prominent location. I was out running errands when I first heard they'd found Dru - a clerk at a discount store told me at the check-out counter. I can't speak for everyone, but when I heard the news that she'd been found, I felt an awful chill up my spine and almost threw up - followed by a slight sense of relief that her family's lives are no longer in limbo. They have Dru back, they know who took her form them, and they can begin the process of healing. God bless Dru and her family.

Yakwoman

LadyLuck
04-17-2004, 11:34 PM
It has been a long 5 months for Dru's family. They have been so strong -may they find some peace now.

lilac
04-18-2004, 12:43 AM
I am new here and I have been watching this story as well......I so wish that they would have had a happy eneding.....

scandi
04-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I heard this this morning on Fox, and looked for a thread here to find out more and there was nothing.

So many women are brutalized out of the blue, gone, families in torment wondering where they could be and what could have happened. It has to become personal every time it happens. Each life lost is as precious as the next one. They are not all beauties, and probably most often are just like you and me. The media just doesn't normally pick up on these abduction/murders.

But to me Dru was especially personal. A fellow Scandanavian, her tragic kidnapping grabbed my heart. I can imagine she fought with every breath of life she had to keep this gnarly bas*a*d away from her body. God bless her for being what she was to her family and friends, and what she symbolizes as the victim of a sick pervert who never should have been let out to live in the public world. Out of this will come a firey revenge and reworking of the penal system, maybe nationwide, where sexual predators, who can never be cured acc. to the experts, will always stay behind bars.

And tonight my heart is right there with her family. Dru's father is such a light for her life. We don't hear from her mom - she is probably just like Dru's dad, but not a spokesman for the family. Dru was dearly adored, a very hard working, special spirit among us. I know tonight is so hard for the whole family. They now have their worst fears confirmed. She really is dead after all this time. 5 months of grueling searches and constant positive thoughts that just maybe she could come back home to them.

Well, we all feel the same here, the passion for justice and love of life due to all of us. May the family finally start healing, and please let her life not have been taken in vain. I hope something positive with a great goodness evolves from her tragic death.

:blowkiss: To all Scandi

smile22
04-18-2004, 08:18 AM
its so sad i was watching tv and i duno what channel was on they did a little blurb on how they found her body my dad was sittin on the other end of the couch and i was like omg its so sad, i told him about another girl who is missing from tx and is still missing, its just so sad then he switched to the local news and they did a lil bigger info on finding her at least her family is at some peace i hope that basterd who killed her roots in hell and in jail

Love_Mama
04-18-2004, 09:56 AM
I only just read this in our paper this morning. I just broke into tears and I don't do that very often. I'm thinking of that poor family of her's and all of her friends........Now they know. It's must be awful because I know that people in this kind of situation must alway's keep some hope.

God Bless them all.....
xxxxxxxxxxooo
mama

Ticamom
04-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Rest in peace, Dru, you're one of God's angels.

May her family find some measure of peace in having her back . God bless them.

Searching for Audrey
04-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Sadness fills the air for me today for we lost my father just 5 years ago & in hearing the news of Dru...My heart breaks for her family & friends. Their beautiful Dru has been brought home yet forever taken from them. With details of the story I am reminded too of the neverending nightmare of feeling that we have looked where Audrey may be just as Dru was... "Volunteers had been near the spot probably a dozen times," but the area had been covered with snow, he said."
My heart remains hopeful & deters those thoughts yet I cannot help to now be angered that we can not get a new search of the area & why we do not have a dozen searches under our belt for Aud... **** the fate that has taken you Audrey! **** those responsible & **** those incapable of coming forward to help us find you!

May God give Dru's family the strength to endure the days ahead & may the memories of Dru guide them through this, what must be a terrible time & justice be swiftly served on the monster responsible.

Searching for Audrey...Marie

oceanblueeyes
04-18-2004, 01:01 PM
I thought it was so powerful when the searchers said they somehow knew they were going to find Dru yesterday. Bless them all.

At least we know the piece of crap didnt give them any information about Dru's whereabouts, she was recovered only because they never gave up.

Rest in peace Dru.........you are in a much better place than you were in life on earth. No one can harm you now.

Ocean

bluehawaii25
04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Rest in peace, Dru, you're one of God's angels.

May her family find some measure of peace in having her back . God bless them.

Amen, Ticamom! Very nicely said!

Newswolf
04-18-2004, 04:04 PM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/467/4728209.html

"About three hours after Sjodin's body was found, Allan Sjodin said he had "always held out the hope that she could be out there somewhere, alive."

But as time passed -- and as investigators collected ominous pieces of evidence, including traces of blood -- he came to accept the likelihood that she was dead, he said."

"The site is not far from where a shoe that was identified as Sjodin's was found early in the search effort last winter. The area had been combed several times, and Allan Sjodin, Dru's father, said that he had walked within a few feet of her body two weeks ago when the ravine was filled with snow"

editing. For some reason I was able to access the story without registration but now this link does not bypass the registration. ??

Here is some of the Grand Forks coverage

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8458564.htm

"If prosecutors prove Rodriguez kidnapped Sjodin, how she died may be less important to the case, according to Grand Forks attorney Alex Reichert. "Once you start a crime in motion, you're responsible for what happens at the end of that crime," he said.

For example, if one person kidnaps another, takes the person across state lines and leaves the victim outside to die of exposure, the perpetrator technically didn't kill that person - but those actions did lead to a death, according to Reichert.

Rosenquist agreed: "It matters not under federal law if a victim is killed in one state and carried to another state and disposed of, or the victim was transported alive to another state and died there."

How Sjodin died may, however, prove important if Rodriguez is convicted. In the penalty phase, the cruelty with which someone kills another can determine how stiff the penalty is, according to Crookston attorney Wayne Swanson, who, as Polk County attorney, prosecuted Rodriguez 24 years ago for stabbing and attempting to abduct a Crookston woman"

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8458555.htm

"Included in his relief was that a police reservist and retired deputy, not family or friends, found the body. Heales shook his head in disbelief about the recovery site.

"I can't begin to tell you how many times (father Allan Sjodin) and I went up and down that stretch of Highway 61," he said. "We literally passed right by her many, many times."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8458553.htm

"The women recalled their disbelief when they had first heard of Sjodin's abduction, the wondering whether Sjodin's abductor had been watching her before she was taken, and the subsequent fear and uneasiness they and other young women - and their parents - felt.

The abduction changed some behavior around campus, the women said. Women students pay closer attention to their personal safety than they did before, and UND men students, too, are more vigilant about the security of their female friends and girlfriends."

The students are holding a candlelight vigil tonight.

http://www.legacy.com/GrandForksHerald/Guestbook.asp?Page=Guestbook&PersonID=2144789

That's a place to leave messages for the family.

scandi
04-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks News for that. It is such a sad and exasperating case. They had searched so close to her body so many times, the perp never should have been let out in the public world and this perp was so self concerned, with no thoughts of feeling remorseful that he didn't help the police or family at all.

I think he was totally ticked off that Dru fought him so hard and did not give in to his sexual advances, that after she was dead, he not only cut her throat but stabbed her in the heart.

So very sad all the way around.

Scandi

Casshew
04-18-2004, 05:51 PM
I think he was totally ticked off that Dru fought him so hard and did not give in to his sexual advances, that after she was dead, he not only cut her throat but stabbed her in the heart.

Scandi... is there an autopsy report? I had not heard these details before

scandi
04-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi Cass,

I doubt there is one so soon. I have only read here and at CTV, so I read this in a post somewhere. I can't imagine a poster saying something like this without knowing for sure.

I'm going to check out Dimensions to see if there is anything over there.

:blowkiss: Scandi

PS: Cass, every time I think of or read one of your posts now, I envision Distasio sitting in his office, relaxing back in his chair with his legs crossed at the ankle and his feet resting on that dern acchor! ;) Can't help it! LOL

Casshew
04-18-2004, 07:56 PM
PS: Cass, every time I think of or read one of your posts now, I envision Distasio sitting in his office, relaxing back in his chair with his legs crossed at the ankle and his feet resting on that dern anchor! ;) Can't help it! LOL

LOL... thats exactly how I picture him and Detective B.. sitting there having a coffee together with their feet up on anchors. :D

Let me know what you hear on that description of Dru's injuries.. how could anyone know that if nothing has been released?

Peekaboo
04-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Scandi, didn't that statement about her throat being cut come from Sandra's site??? I'm not sure, but Yakwoman might know more details; I think she lives somewhere up there....

scandi
04-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Hi Peek,

Yes I just found it on this thread! :doh: I'm sorry Cass. If I had read the post carefully I would have known it was a prediction and not fact! :blushing: Sorry Sweetie. LOL

Scandi

Casshew
04-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Hi Peek,

Yes I just found it on this thread! :doh: I'm sorry Cass. If I had read the post carefully I would have known it was a prediction and not fact! :blushing: Sorry Sweetie. LOL

Scandi

Hi Scandi... no problem! will be interesting to see how the prediction holds up.

God Bless Dru and all who love and care for her :blowkiss:

KatzHome
04-19-2004, 07:20 AM
In the beginning I really did have high hopes that Dru would be found because of her cell phone... But we've all known for a while now that when they did find her ~ they would find her body ~ her soul, her bright, beautiful spirit ~ had long taken flight to the Heavens.

Prayers for the repose of her soul and for peace and comfort for her family in knowing that one day they will see her again in Heaven.

Newswolf
04-19-2004, 09:20 AM
http://www.americasbest.com/news_newspapers/startribunecom.htm

"Both men said they favor the death penalty.

A few miles away, the Rev. Mark Anderson, pastor of Crosslake Lutheran Church, opened the Sunday morning service somberly.

"Dru Sjodin has come home, not the way we wished," he said.

Sjodin's mother, Linda Walker, and stepfather, Sid Walker, of Pequot Lakes, attend the church but were not there Sunday. Anderson met with Linda Walker later in the afternoon.

"We talked about Dru and all the good memories," he said.

The sign outside the church read "Pray for Dru."

"Prodded by fear and anger over the Dru Sjodin case, Minnesota is now poised to dramatically expand its efforts to punish and prevent violent crime by sending hundreds, and eventually thousands, of sex offenders to prison for life.

Some official estimates of the cumulative cost of such a policy exceed $1 billion over the next 20 years, mainly to pay for more trials and prison cells

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/8464405.htm

"Between tears and hugs, the women of Gamma Phi Beta remembered their friend and sister with music, prayers and stories.

"Dru has those big beautiful eyes that will bring comfort to anyone, and bring a smile to anyone's heart," Dani Mark said."

PolkSaladAnnie
04-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Very touching and just ................ oh, too sad! Thank you posting these articles, Newswolf. Very pleased to read that state is going 'all out' to jail these predators and keep them well away from society.

But for Dru? A brilliant diamond of light has surely gone out in Allen and Linda's lives, even though it glows eternally in heaven. Yet ~ isn't it amazing how some families like the Sjodin/Walkers and Rocha/Grantski's can continue with such grace, dignity and solidarity through this awful and senseless mess?

The love of God, their family, friends, neighbors and community will uphold their strength and courage. God Bless all nearest and dearest.

KatzHome
04-19-2004, 10:21 PM

"Both men said they favor the death penalty.

<snip>

I've never been an advocate for the death penalty ~ but I've been hearing of people released from prison ~ who all too soon turn around and murder someone.

And what's to be done with known sex offenders... especially those released who are likely to offend again???? And worse, what if their fantasy is escalating??? What do we do with a problem like that who is released????

The guy who killed Dru is a prime example. He was in prison for ATTEMPTED murder and rape. The only reason why it was only attempted murder is because the woman was lucky enough to get away!!!!!! And then he is released from prison labeled as a Class 3 offender ~ LIKELY TO OFFEND AGAIN!!!!!!! WHY does a guy like that get released???? Ever?????

It's stories like this that make me go from anti-Death Penalty to a step beyond pro-Death Penalty. WHY do we have to wait until they kill someone before handling the problem the right way ~ which is making sure that they never do this to anyone else ever again!!!!

I may be wrong and totally off base ~ but I believe that my choice is still made in mercy ~ the choice of ending the madness once and for all is a mercy to society!!!!

Yeah, let a Chaplin, a Priest ~ Prison Ministry... work with these people ~ let them get their soul right an make their peace with God. I'm Catholic ~ I believe in Purgatory, Heaven and Hell ~ and I also believe in making His Mercy available to all.

I just don't believe that releasing dangerous criminals back into society is showing any mercy ~ and the one who gets no mercy here on earth ~ is that dangerous criminal's next victim.

Newswolf
04-20-2004, 09:59 AM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8471767.htm

"The young woman who captured the hearts of people all over the country will be laid to rest at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Grand View Lodge in Nisswa, Minn., just south of her hometown of Pequot Lakes.
----

Echoing that outpouring of affection, the Sjodin family is expecting a huge number of mourners to attend her funeral, said family friend Bob Heales."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4786243/

""I do not expect any decision at least until after the police have completed the investigation," Heffelfinger said.

Heffelfinger declined to say when he expects the investigation to be complete. He also said Sjodin's family needs time and space to grieve.

Provisional results from the autopsy are expected to be released today by the Polk County Sheriff's Office. The Ramsey County medical examiner's office in St. Paul handled the autopsy. "

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8471781.htm

"As a UND student, Dru was one of us. It became even more personal as we expended our physical and emotional energies in attempts to find her.

It grew more personal when we watched, in awe, the strength and commitment of her family and friends. How could they keep going?

You couldn't help but wonder what you'd do under the same circumstances. And you couldn't help comparing your life to theirs.

For me, Saturday was the ultimate of personal because of the contrast in the lives of Allan Sjodin and myself. While my daughter went to prom, their daughter went to a crime lab in St. Paul. "

Newswolf
04-20-2004, 06:45 PM

"FARGO, N.D. -- A preliminary autopsy report concluded that a body found Saturday was indeed that of Dru Sjodin, and that the University of North Dakota student was a victim of homicide, Polk County officials said Tuesday.

A final report will be completed by the Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office in St. Paul, said Greg Widseth, Polk County attorney. A statement from Widseth gave no detail on how she died.

``It's the final piece to the puzzle for what they are working on,'' said Sgt. Michael Hedlund, Grand Forks police spokesman. ``There are still things to be reviewing and preparing, and where the case goes from here remains to be seen.''

Asked if he was surprised by the preliminary results, Hedlund said, ``No, unfortunately.''

Widseth said he would not release further details. Polk County Sheriff Mark LeTexier had no comment.
"

final autopsy results may be several weeks away.

Newswolf
04-21-2004, 10:39 AM

"Drew Wrigley, the U.S. attorney for North Dakota, said prosecutors have agreed on whether the case will be tried in federal or state court. But he declined to say what that decision was.

He said the decision was based on "facts and several practicalities," but again declined to elaborate.

Even after five months of exposure to the elements, Sjodin's body could still yield important clues to collar her abductor."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8479914.htm

""I was up on top, and I just saw something black," Roue said. "I walked down to see what it was. It was her black coat, laying over her."

The veteran of law enforcement knew what he had found.

But it took him a moment to make sure what he was seeing.

"I stood there and let it sink in a little bit first. Even though that was what we were looking for, it was still a shock," Roue said. "

scandi
04-22-2004, 01:53 AM
Annie, this was quite a statement form you: The love of God, their family, friends, neighbors and community will uphold their strength and courage. God Bless all nearest and dearest.

I do think Dru was a very special gal, and I am so sorry she was treated like a piece of meat by her killer.

News, thanks for that last article. The officer who found her, well he reminds me of the kind of kilt of people we have represented here in this sad catastrophy. All genuine good people who really cared. Kind of like in Samantha Runion's case.

The father and mother stand out in my mind too. Exceptional and truely knowing how to love someone, and being able to express the sincere feelings that they have.

Scandi

Doyle
04-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Seven sorority sisters of Dru Sjodin have gone to the ravine where her body was found to leave flowers and verses.
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/state/8493152.htm

Newswolf
04-24-2004, 08:40 AM

"A growing mound of flowers, many of them pink, surrounded her silver casket. Above it hung a large photograph of a smiling Sjodin. As mourners filed past the coffin, they picked up white roses to take home.

They also picked up packets of flower and vegetable seeds that said ``Dru Sjodin 1981-2003'' and bore a quote from Quaker philosopher Elton Trueblood: ``A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.''

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8508380.htm

"The attention his sister garnered can be a good thing, Sven Sjodin said.

"For Druzie, because of how many millions of lives she has affected, I do not think she wants to be forgotten."

scandi
04-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks News,

Reading that brought tears to my eyes. What a special way to memorialize Dru - pink flowers on a silver casket, white roses for her friends to take back home and little seed packets given to all. All little seeds given in love to be planted from North Dakota over into Minnesota. Springing up soon, it could be William Wadsworth's 'A Host of Golden Daffodils' unplugged and revisited for a moment in our time.

Scandi

I WANDERED LONELY AS A CLOUD

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodil;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed and gazed but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth

Newswolf
04-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Scandi, that is beautiful.

Dru had quite an outpouring of love for her service.

"About 500 mourners packed a resort lodge in Nisswa, one of the few places in the northern Minnesota area large enough to hold such a crowd, while about 1,000 more filled two overflow tents to pay tribute to the University of North Dakota student.

Friends and family members entered the hall on a cobblestone path strewn with yellow and pink rose petals. Pallbearers followed with Sjodin's silver casket, some barely able to contain their grief"
----
"After the service at the grave site, which is between three pine trees, Sjodin's mother, Linda Walker, released a white dove. Family members lay a pink daisy on top of the casket, and many of them bent down to kiss the casket as they left"

Love_Mama
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
OMG!!!!

Although we were expecting this, I'm finished! Thank you bubble, Ocean, cheetah and Newswolf for the links.

Like so many, I also Dru's website the minute it opened; participated in their chat rooms with Razz and team ~ and spent 3 Saturday nights lighting Candles for Dru. This is a poignant moment.

God Bless Dru's family, aunts, uncles, friends, searchers ~ volunteers and everyone involved.

Annie, Polk Annie, why are you finished with this already???????????????can I talk to you in my own Daughter's name..............which is Annie too.....
I'm not alway's sure about Sandra's feelings. I am a Christian, period and a report. Dru, was at the wrong place at the wrong time and met this horrible molester and killer. This child, to me was a child that was killed by a released child molester. I honestly think that all of us should compaign to keep these molester's in jail or prison. Should campaign to keep Child or adult molester's in Prison.
I don't know why this is NOT emphasized.............here at websleuths. I think we should all be sending letter to our Congressmen...........Chit.........if we vote them in , in an Election.......then WE should have a say.............Could all of us just write our Congressmen and let them know how we feel. Sound's like a BIG job, and I'm sure it is! BUT well worth the effort and it takes gut's to do it!

xxxxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

Love_Mama
04-24-2004, 09:54 PM
OMG!!!!

NEVER GIVE UP!

xxxxxxxxxxoo
mama

PolkSaladAnnie
04-25-2004, 01:56 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!

xxxxxxxxxxoo
mama

Thanks Love_Mama. (I pm'd you.) Read NewsWolf's articles then Googled Dru Sjodin. I was heartbroken. Some sites have news videos and photo-galleries. I was hurtin as if this happened here inside my own home! :(

There are some outsiders who complain about beautiful people hitting the media. Well, let me tell you I believe God chooses His own Angels of Legacy. Some just have an image strong enough to reach rich and poor alike, to grab attention and to ensure justice prevails to the many 'unknowns' who have either preceded or might, Heaven forbid, follow them.

He does not see color, neighborhood or wealth. He sees His Dearly Departed as assets in His Kingdom and selects a few of them to continue His story.

After all: Did Mother Teresa live in Beverley Hills, own a palatial stack of diamonds and float around in a Limo? How many of us even know her race? Does it matter? Yet her soul was richer than all the global bank troughs clubbed together. And as humbly as she lived so God quietly called her Home within a couple of days of Princess Diana's parting. I believe her time was destiny and her legacy to remind the humble and the 'unknowns' that they too, have as rich a place in Heaven. Despite the media attention on the tragic and untimely passing of the World's Princess, both of these women made statements in their own rights. Gob Bless and Preserve their spirits!

So ~ for me, I'm grateful attention is brought to these crimes through a few precious names; that justice does prevail and that the focus never dies along with the monster's victims. That's all that should really matter. Knowledge.

Not the victim's bank accounts or addresses.

Peekaboo
04-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Annie, that was SO beautiful!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Newswolf
04-29-2004, 02:56 PM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8545403.htm

"The most evocative speeches came from Sjodin's relatives and her boyfriend, Chris Lang.

"Dru, I know you can hear me," said her stepfather, Sidney Walker. "I had the privilege and pleasure of helping raise you since you were 5 years old, and I never heard anyone say a bad word about you.

"You never left the house without saying 'I love you.' And Dru, I love you, too. If I'm lucky enough to get where you are, I'll be seeing your great smile, and you'll say, 'Hi, Sidney,' and give me a big hug."

Lang began his emotional speech by telling the audience that Sjodin was a "lovable goofball."

"I would say to her, 'Dru, you have the face of an angel and the laugh of the devil,'" he said, drawing laughs. "That booming laugh. We can't hear it anymore, but it will resound in our hearts and become our music forever."

Sjodin's parents spoke only briefly, thanking everyone for the effort to find their daughter.

Linda Walker quoted poet Maya Angelou: "I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/special_packages/dru_sjodin/8545435.htm

"A new endowment will allow one student every year to receive a full scholarship at UND in the name of Dru Sjodin.

The Dru Sjodin Memorial Scholarship Endowment has been established within the UND Foundation by Cheryl Sandeen and B. John Barry of the Barry Foundation. Sandeen is a friend of the Sjodin family, and Barry is a UND graduate."

KatzHome
05-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Although this ending is what was expected, it doesn't make it any easier when your fears are turned into reality.
How I feel for her family and her boyfriend. He must be so heart-broken he couldn't protect her those final moments.
JMHO
fran

Especially since she tried to reach him ~ or did reach him for a few moments Fran ~ I truly wish him and her family peace.

Megan
05-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I just read Dru's article in this week's People. It was well written, and I reitterate that I am so glad that she was found.

Babcat
05-02-2004, 09:13 PM
The sign outside the church read "Pray for Dru."

I wonder if this was an old sign that had been up since her abduction... or was it a message newly made upon the news of finding her remains?

I was raised Lutheran and have always been. We were always taught not to pray for the dead, because they were already in the hands of God... but instead to pray for those left behind to bear the sorrow of the loss.

It isn't really important... I just found it curious.

"Prodded by fear and anger over the Dru Sjodin case, Minnesota is now poised to dramatically expand its efforts to punish and prevent violent crime by sending hundreds, and eventually thousands, of sex offenders to prison for life.

Some official estimates of the cumulative cost of such a policy exceed $1 billion over the next 20 years, mainly to pay for more trials and prison cells

Thank GOD!! I hope the rest of the country follows suit. A billion dollars?.. So what! We spend far greater sums in this country on less important things by far.

- I do think Dru was a very special gal, and I am so sorry she was treated like a piece of meat by her killer.

I more than agree. And I believe all of these victims of sexual predators are very special to someone in some way. I have tried... but cannot fathom how someone can randomly choose a person (either because of opportunity or other reasons) and then simply consider that person disposable. How can they dehumanize a person to the level needed to simply dispose of the person and go about their normal routine??

When I see a victim's picture I see a baby being born... a toddler learning to walk and talk... a Kindergarten graduation... the first tears of heartbreak... photos of family vacations... :( I see the face, beautiful or plain, of someone who means everything to someone else... to many others. I see someone so cherished, that a mother sat up all night at least once monitoring a fever... a mother who only reluctantly relinquished this treasure to a school bus driver the very first time, enduring anxious fear of the most unlikely event... sure that her child will only be safe within the confines of her own home. I see a mother learning slowly to let go, and not easily weathering the adjustment, though she smiles on the outside. :o But mostly I see my own three little girls, with paralleled, but very different lives, and an abundance of memories crammed into just a few short years.

Yet to one wicked person, on any given day, all of that would be meaningless... as if the human target he forces under his control is nothing but a machine activated that same day for his use. He sees his target as something to be consumed and then discarded. And the most frightening thing of all is that there are so many of these people... not just the evil man who killed Dru. How do they get to that place of complete darkness in their mind and their soul? Would it be as frightening to know the answer as it is to not understand?

He does not see color, neighborhood or wealth. He sees His Dearly Departed as assets in His Kingdom and selects a few of them to continue His story.

Though I completely understand where the logic for this comes from... I've come to believe over time that this isn't true. Of course I believe that God sweeps up His murdered children into his arms and they become at peace in His kingdom. But I don't believe their horrible deaths had anything to do with God. I don't believe he sought their early demise or called them... He simply allows free will and allows tragedy because it was chosen by the killer without regard to God's word or wishes.

Back when the bombing of the federal building took place downtown I remember watching parents whose children had survived the blast even though they had been in the daycare, and most children there did not. More than one of these parents said to the news cameras that they believed God had intervened and saved their child. But to say that, is in a sense saying that the other children who perished were somehow unworthy of God's intervention. It portrays God as a fickle being who picks and chooses the families that will be spared pain from an intentional attack by a criminal, and those who will suffer and grieve. I don't believe that is true. I believe that God allows the tragedy that results from a choice by an evil heart. I believe He grieves right alongside His children, and provides the strength and ability to survive something they must never have believed they ever could.

PolkSaladAnnie
05-08-2004, 10:59 AM
I don't believe he sought their early demise or called them... He simply allows free will and allows tragedy because it was chosen by the killer without regard to God's word or wishes.

Not sure I follow what you're trying to say or re-interpret that which I said, Babcat. I did not say God sought 'their' early demise... etc etc...

I merely said I don't believe God sees color, wealth or creed.

Make of it what you will. Nice speech anyway... BTW, my brother in law is married to the dau of a Minnisota / St Pauls Lutheran Minister - and they're all pretty 'devout'.

What exactly do you disagree with?

Babcat
05-09-2004, 05:17 AM
Annie,

I didn't say Lutherans were not devout. I said we were taught to pray for the living who are grieving the dead, and not to pray for the dead. We believe souls are judged upon death, so there is no point in praying for any dead person's soul. God has already taken care of that. There are several different denominations of Lutheran in the US. There is ELCA, LCA, Missouri Synod, Wisconsin Synod, etc. I was raised Missouri Synod. Maybe you could see how your brother-in-law's wife views prayer for the dead, or what denomination of Lutheran she was raised.

I also didn't say that those here on earth that die are not used by God in any fashion once they enter his kingdom. I have no idea whether God assigns positions to the souls, who are now alive again in His kingdom. I simply don't think that He chooses live souls on earth and feels they will make good angel leaders, so therefore calls them home by orchestrating some type of death for them. I'll go even further on this as to say that if a natural or unnatural disaster befalls a group of people, I don't believe God picks and chooses from the victims. I don't think He decides which ones will be of most use in His kingdom and therefore allows those to die, while intervening for others so that they can keep living.

My post wasn't a speech. I didn't say, "Simply because this is what I believe, others should also believe the same way." Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant when you posted of a choice few angels being chosen by God to carry on His legacy. I interpreted that to mean God sees a wonderful soul on earth as being an asset to Him, so He calls that soul home. That apparently wasn't what you meant, but many people do believe exactly that way.

Newswolf
05-12-2004, 02:38 PM

"Federal prosecutors in North Dakota will pursue the case against a man held in the death of University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin, the Associated Press has learned.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the case told the AP that an announcement on the status of the case is likely within the next couple of days. The source declined to give further details.

The move means it's possible that Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., a convicted sex offender, would be eligible for the death penalty if convicted"

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8644872.htm

"WDAZ-TV in Grand Forks reported Tuesday evening that Thomas Heffelfinger, U.S. Attorney for Minnesota, had booked an airline flight scheduled to arrive in Fargo today."

http://courttv.aol.com/news/2004/0512/sjodin_ap.html

" Federal prosecutors will pursue the case against a man held in the death of University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin, a law enforcement source said Tuesday."

Newswolf
05-13-2004, 09:58 AM

"Rodriguez, 51, entered a plea of not guilty to the federal charge, as he had earlier to a state charge of kidnapping in District Court in Grand Forks. That charge was dismissed Wednesday before U.S. marshals took custody of Rodriguez and transported him to Fargo, Grand Forks County State's Attorney Peter Welte said.

Welte and Polk County (Minn.) Attorney Greg Widseth joined Wrigley and Heffelfinger at the news conference, all saying that they agreed with the decision to move the case to federal court and have Wrigley act as lead prosecutor.

"We're all on the same team here," Welte said. "This case now belongs in federal court."

Dru's family attended.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8654533.htm

"The federal indictment was filed Tuesday and was read in court Wednesday by Judge Magistrate Karen Klein. It says Rodriguez kidnapped Sjodin in North Dakota and took her to Minnesota and "held her for the purpose of sexually assaulting her," resulting in her death, and that he killed Sjodin "in an especially heinous, cruel, and depraved manner," involving "torture and serious physical abuse," and "substantial planning and premeditation."

ISPTRAX
05-13-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm curious... how do they know this:

It says Rodriguez kidnapped Sjodin in North Dakota and took her to Minnesota and "held her for the purpose of sexually assaulting her," resulting in her death, and that he killed Sjodin "in an especially heinous, cruel, and depraved manner," involving "torture and serious physical abuse," and "substantial planning and premeditation."

Do you think they got him to talk?

Newswolf
05-13-2004, 04:52 PM
No Isptrax, I don't believe he is talking since even after arrest he would not lead them to the body. I would surmise that the complete autopsy results revealed much to investigators about what Dru endured and that the LE has developed evidence on the planning/ etc.

indigomood
05-22-2004, 11:01 PM
News reports that Alfonso Rodriguez will stand trial in Grand Forks, N.D., are premature and could prove to be wrong, U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley said Wednesday.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=58141&section=news

The article also states at the end, that Rodriguez's trial is tentatively set for July 19.

indigomood
05-29-2004, 07:47 PM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/8779881.htm

DRU SJODIN MURDER TRIAL: Death penalty lawyer assigned to Rodriguez

Fargo's KVLY-TV, citing an unnamed source, reported that Sjodin's cell phone was found near her body. Wrigley declined to comment on the report.

Logan
10-30-2004, 05:31 PM
FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Federal prosecutors said Thursday they will seek the death penalty against the man accused of killing Dru Sjodin, a college student who was abducted outside a shopping mall.

U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley made the announcement in the case against Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 51, citing the particulars of the crime, "the criminal history of the person involved, as well as the impact on the victim, the victim's community."

It is the first time federal prosecutors have sought the death penalty in North Dakota. North Dakota has not had a state death penalty law since the 1970s, and the state's last execution was more than 90 years ago. Sjodin, 22, a University of North Dakota student, disappeared from a Grand Forks parking lot Nov. 22 after leaving her job at a Victoria's Secret. Her body was found in April in a ravine near Crookston, Minn., where Rodriguez was living with his mother.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2004/1029/sjodin_ap.html

englishleigh
10-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Awesome!! He deserves it!!!!

KatzHome
10-30-2004, 11:53 PM
And so does George W. Bush!

I was wondering what was going on in this case... This guy really deserves the Death Penalty ~ and very likely will get it.

From what I heard, he was in prison for 20 ~ for RAPE and "ATTEMPTED" MURDER. The only reason why it was only an attempt is because the woman managed to get away. They released him from prison and just a few short months later ~ he kidnapped and murdered Dru. God and her Angel only knows what he did to her before he killed her.

There's no fixing this guy... he's a real danger to society. The greater mercy to society would be to put him to death ~ and soon!

WasBlind
10-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Prosecutors to seek death penalty for man accused of abducting, killing student

Awesome!! He deserves it!!!!

And so does George W. Bush!

The Political Pavilion is down the hall to your right, ermm left I guess for you, Katz
http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Prayers for justice for Dru, and prayers for this forum!

Limon10
11-03-2004, 09:32 AM
I think it was meant to be read in addition to the thing under her name -
"I believe in Laci and Connors law, and so does GW"

I doubt Katz meant GW deserves the death penalty...her profile says 4 more years! :)

KatzHome
11-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Thanks Limon ~ that's exactly what it meant. {{{hugs}}}

WasBlind
11-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Thanks Limon ~ that's exactly what it meant. {{{hugs}}}

I surely misunderstood. Please accept my humble apology Katz.
I would never hurt you with intention.

God bless you, Lanie
Help For The Missing

KatzHome
11-04-2004, 08:42 AM
I surely misunderstood. Please accept my humble apology Katz.
I would never hurt you with intention.

God bless you, Lanie
Help For The Missing
{{{Hugs}}} Lanie ~ that's Ok ~ I know that you wouldn't from your previous posts ~ misunderstanding what I meant was probably a big shock to you. I was already thinking along the lines that if my post got quoted that people wouldn't have any idea what the line And so does George W. Bush meant... But I still wanted to voice my support for the President in the Election.

It finally dawned on me to put the following into my signature line:

"W" in '04!! FOUR MORE YEARS!

It won't be there forever... I'll probably take it out in a while... But for the moment it remains ~ A "catchy" phrase that recalls the prayers, fasting and Masses offered up to God for this Election.

God Bless you and those you love,
Susan

Dawnette Nielsen
11-18-2004, 10:19 AM
A website dedicated to Dru Katrina Sjodin has presented a photo collection of Dru.
http://www.volunteers4dru.org/DruForum/album_cat.php?cat_id=8
There is also a forum on this site for those wishing to share thoughts and feelings.
A friend of mine with contact to Dru's family informs me that Dru's middle name is Katrina and not Kathrina as is widely, but mistakenly given!

In eternal loving memory of Dru Katrina Sjodin! :)

KatzHome
11-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Thank you for posting that link, Dawn. I'm heading over there after this post.

What happened to Dru makes me so sad ~ it should never have happened ~ the guy should have never been allowed to get anywhere near her. I was so full of hope over the cell phone signal ~ I really hoped they would find her before it was too late.

The only thing that makes any of this sorrow that we know, bearable, is the sure Hope of Heaven ~ beyond our wildest hopes and dreams ~ Heaven awaits us ~ our Everlasting Home.

Newswolf
11-23-2004, 04:07 PM
http://www.devilslakejournal.com/articles/2004/11/23/news/news02.txt

The trial for a man accused of killing University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin will not begin until March 6, 2006, a judge decided.
U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson set the trial date for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. in court filings Monday, after meeting privately with attorneys for about two hours. The announcement came on the first anniversary of the abduction of Sjodin, 22, from a Grand Forks shopping mall.

http://new.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=76234&section=News

Congress has failed to pass legislation named for Dru Sjodin, the 22-year-old University of North Dakota student who was abducted and killed last year, to create a national public sex-offender registry.
"Dru's Law" passed the Senate unanimously, but the bill has not made it out of the House Judiciary Committee.
~~~~~~~

Let's hope they get that bill through next time.

GatorMom
11-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Some Democrats on the House Judiciary crime subcommittee have expressed civil liberties concerns about sex offender registries. House Republicans could have passed the bill without Democratic support, but time ran out before the Thanksgiving recess.

Rep. Bobby Scott of Virginia, the ranking Democrat on the crime subcommittee, opposed the bill.

"It sounds good," Scott said. "But you'd like to have some evidence that it would actually reduce crime."

Uh, hello? Civil liberties are very important but when you're talking about sexual predators, I think it's very important to arm the public with as much information as possible.

I look up registered sex offenders *all* the time. There's a sexual predator living a block from me, he preys on children under the age of 14. I have no idea why he's on the loose but I know what he looks like and I'll have my dog on him in a heartbeat if he comes anywhere near me or my children. I also found out the kindly man at the little bodega has a thing for girls under the age of 16. His wife seems nice but she has to know. I warned my neighbor who has two daughters, she didn't even know she could look up that information online.

Those idiots in Congress need to wake up and stop worrying about the rights of the sex offenders. They should worry about our right to know where these monsters are and what they are up to at all times.

KatzHome
11-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Well ~ maybe with luck ~ they'll be able to get a Dru's Bill passed that is even tougher. 1 year isn't enough ~ 3 years is needed. It took that guy 9 months after getting out of prison before he took, abused and killed Dru. 9 months is too close to being a year...

That guy never should have been let out of prison in the first place. Rape and Attempted murder ~ and the only reason it was only attempted is because the woman managed to get away.

And Democrats worrying about guys like this and their civil liberties... yeah right... makes me all the more glad I switched to Republican.

Rocky
11-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I started a thread over in the political forum discussing a prop that passed this year in California, the voters were misled by the paragragh in the voters guide and had no clue that it was a double edged sword...

Dawnette Nielsen
12-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks Gator Mom,
I'm reposting this from a dear friend who posted this at
www.volunteers4dru.org (http://www.volunteers4dru.org) It shows where Dru's Law has been held up since April 2004:hand: Visit www.drusvoice.com (http://www.drusvoice.com) for more information!
The subcmmitee which deals with Dru's Law of course where Representative Robert 'Bobby' Scott is a member is ' The Committee for Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security'. Each member has a link to their homepage with their e-mail. mails.
http://www.house.gov/judiciary/submembers.htm (http://www.house.gov/judiciary/submembers.htm)
Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and
Homeland Security
Mr. Howard Coble, Chairman http://coble.house.gov/ (http://coble.house.gov/) North Carolina (R)
Email Howard Coble by clicking here
howard.coble@mail.house.gov (howard.coble@mail.house.gov)
Washington DC Office
207 Cannon HOB, Tel: 202-225-3926

Mr. Tom Feeney http://www.house.gov/feeney/ (http://www.house.gov/feeney/) Florida (R)
Mr. Bob Goodlatte http://www.house.gov/goodlatte/ (http://www.house.gov/goodlatte/) Virginia (R)
Mr. Steve Chabot http://www.house.gov/chabot/ (http://www.house.gov/chabot/) Ohio (R)
Mr. Mark Green http://www.house.gov/markgreen/ (http://www.house.gov/markgreen/) Wisconsin (R) Mark.Green@mail.house.gov (Mark.Green@mail.house.gov)
Mr. Ric Keller http://keller.house.gov/ (http://keller.house.gov/) Florida (R)
Mr. Mike Pence http://mikepence.house.gov/ (http://mikepence.house.gov/) Indiana (R)
Mr. J. Randy Forbes http://www.house.gov/forbes/ (http://www.house.gov/forbes/) Virginia (R)
Mr. Robert 'Bobby' Scott http://www.house.gov/scott/ (http://www.house.gov/scott/) Virginia (D) bobby.scott@mail.house.gov (bobby.scott@mail.house.gov)
Mr. Adam Schiff http://www.house.gov/schiff/ (http://www.house.gov/schiff/) California (D)
Ms. Sheila Jackson Lee http://www.jacksonlee.house.gov/ (http://www.jacksonlee.house.gov/) Texas (D)
Ms. Maxine Waters http://www.house.gov/waters/ (http://www.house.gov/waters/) California (D)
Mr. Martin Meehan http://www.house.gov/meehan/ (http://www.house.gov/meehan/) Massachusetts(D) martin.meehan@mail.house.gov (martin.meehan@mail.house.gov)

It would have been a nice Christmas present for Dru if this committee had released 'Dru's Law' for a vote by the House of Representatives. The members of this committee are of course themselves members of the House and certainly many are not happy that Dru's Law has not been released from their committee due to the opposition of some other members.

OriginalJerseyGirl
01-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Well ~ maybe with luck ~ they'll be able to get a Dru's Bill passed that is even tougher. 1 year isn't enough ~ 3 years is needed. It took that guy 9 months after getting out of prison before he took, abused and killed Dru. 9 months is too close to being a year...

That guy never should have been let out of prison in the first place. Rape and Attempted murder ~ and the only reason it was only attempted is because the woman managed to get away.

And Democrats worrying about guys like this and their civil liberties... yeah right... makes me all the more glad I switched to Republican.This has nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. Too many important issues are used as mere political tools by BOTH parties. I'm sure that most Democrats and most Republicans agree that something needs to be done to protect our children from these monsters.

I think a large part of the problem lies not in Congress but in our judicial system. If these criminals were sentenced appropriately on their first or second or third offense, they wouldn't have the opportunity to be back on the streets. Too often, the punishment does not fit the crime and monsters like this one are released because of a punishment that is too lenient.

mysteriew
06-24-2005, 09:31 PM
http://www.keyc.tv/article/view/77125/

The attorney representing Alfonso Rodriguez junior told the judge that the federal death penalty law is unconstitutional. Judge Ralph Erickson will rule later on the issue.

duffy
06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I know this was a 2004 post but I wanted to respond. I know it seems unfathomable to many that a young beautiful girl could be brutalized so horribly and then murdered. What I would like to say is it is necessary to understand that many times it is because of their youth and beauty someone might want to do this to them. A/the perpetrator is so evil and wicked they feel they must destroy beauty in the most depraved manner.

I have two daughters, 20 and 24, beautiful, nice and I try to make them understand you aren't too young or beautiful to die. You don't have to be paranoid just be AWARE. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Keep your head up.

L.E. has talked with many a sexual predator and ask them how they chose their victims. "The victim was not paying attention to what was going on around them." A perp studies people, body language, demeanor etc. They know the one who is aware would more than likely give them a fight, cause a scene and that's the last thing they want. They want nice and compliant.

There are always exceptions to every rule but if a woman does nothing else for self-protection Please! Keep your head up and take in what is going on around you. Really look and see.

Ticamom
06-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Excellent Post, Duffy ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know this was a 2004 post but I wanted to respond. I know it seems unfathomable to many that a young beautiful girl could be brutalized so horribly and then murdered. What I would like to say is it is necessary to understand that many times it is because of their youth and beauty someone might want to do this to them. A/the perpetrator is so evil and wicked they feel they must destroy beauty in the most depraved manner.
I have two daughters, 20 and 24, beautiful, nice and I try to make them understand you aren't too young or beautiful to die. You don't have to be paranoid just be AWARE. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Keep your head up.

L.E. has talked with many a sexual predator and ask them how they chose their victims. "The victim was not paying attention to what was going on around them." A perp studies people, body language, demeanor etc. They know the one who is aware would more than likely give them a fight, cause a scene and that's the last thing they want. They want nice and compliant.

There are always exceptions to every rule but if a woman does nothing else for self-protection Please! Keep your head up and take in what is going on around you. Really look and see.

mysteriew
06-25-2005, 03:15 PM
The attorney defending Alfonso Rodriguez against the federal charge of kidnapping and killing Dru Sjodin says recent court rulings make the prosecutor's attempt to make it a death penalty case unconstitutional.

In a hearing Friday in federal court here, attended by Sjodin's parents, Richard Ney argued that federal death penalty guidelines will allow the U.S. attorney's office to use a lower standard of evidence to press for capital punishment if Rodriguez is convicted at trial.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11982489.htm

duffy
06-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Excellent Post, Duffy ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you Ticamom. I am very concerned about our children and women and want so badly for there to be less victims.

Probably about 2 years ago Oprah did a show, dressing women up as very convincing men, and sent them out at night. The women said it was an epiphenal moment for them in it was night a day difference going out as a "male" as opposed to a woman. I found that very interesting.

mysteriew
07-10-2005, 10:04 AM
U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley responded in writing Friday to arguments made last month by Richard Ney, a Wichita, Kan., attorney representing 52-year-old Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.

Rodriguez, of Crookston, has two previous convictions in Polk County, Minn., for sexual assault and another for attempted kidnapping. Prosecutors contend they are "aggravating factors" which make Rodriguez eligible for the death penalty.

Ney, who has handled death penalty cases, argued in his defense motions that the victims didn't suffer serious bodily harm as alleged by prosecutors in their notice to seek the death penalty.

But Wrigley argued that psychological and emotional trauma from a sexual assault satisfies the definition of serious bodily injury, and the question should be allowed to go before the jury.

U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson will hear oral arguments on the motions at a hearing scheduled for Aug. 19.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/12095509.htm

Bobbisangel
07-23-2005, 02:57 AM
What is that attorney trying to say...that the killer doesn't want to die?????
Well that is just tough. That fat troll knew what he was going to do when he walked up to Dru and made her get in his vehicle. I can't stand defense attorneys. I don't know how they can get up in the morning and look themselves in the eyes in their mirror. How do they sleep at night? I would rather starve then defend perverts and killers. No wonder they don't ask their clients if they committed the crime or not. By not asking they can tell themselves that he/she probably is innocent. Don't these attornies ever think about their own children or grandchildren when they go to bat for these low life scum? I know this guy won't ever return to the streets but why should his life be spared?

I'm sure he will get the death penalty and hopefully it happens right after the trial. I wish I could be there to see it happen!!

KatzHome
07-23-2005, 12:20 PM
What can judge Erickson say to that defense attorney's filing ~ "Yeah, right..." :razz: :croc: That piece of work should have gotten the death penalty years ago ~ before he had a chance to put his filthy hands on Dru.

mysteriew
07-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Laura Walker, the mother of Dru Sjodin, plans to lead a rally in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday for passage of a law designed to project children from sex crimes.

The Children's Safety Act comes in the wake of Sjodin's 2003 kidnapping and death.

Walker, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., and Sjodin's father, Allan Sjodin of Minneapolis, have been working to stop similar crimes by improving laws and tracking sex offenders. http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/12213319.htm

mysteriew
08-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Attorneys argued motions Friday in North Dakota in the death penalty case against Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.
http://www.wdsu.com/nationalnews/4878931/detail.html

mocity
08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Who is Sandra that people keep referring to in this thread?

Bobbisangel
08-28-2005, 02:33 AM
U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley responded in writing Friday to arguments made last month by Richard Ney, a Wichita, Kan., attorney representing 52-year-old Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.

Rodriguez, of Crookston, has two previous convictions in Polk County, Minn., for sexual assault and another for attempted kidnapping. Prosecutors contend they are "aggravating factors" which make Rodriguez eligible for the death penalty.

Ney, who has handled death penalty cases, argued in his defense motions that the victims didn't suffer serious bodily harm as alleged by prosecutors in their notice to seek the death penalty.

But Wrigley argued that psychological and emotional trauma from a sexual assault satisfies the definition of serious bodily injury, and the question should be allowed to go before the jury.

U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson will hear oral arguments on the motions at a hearing scheduled for Aug. 19.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/12095509.htm

I REALLY dispise defense attorneys.

Bobbisangel
08-28-2005, 02:47 AM
When is this lowlife piece of garbage going to go to trial? I say let's save the state some money and take this evil troll out to where he murdered Dru, make him take his clothes off, ram a big stick up his azz, cut off his penis, shoot him in the feet...then the knee caps...then the upper legs... you get the idea. Then just leave him there and let the animals take care of him. He doesn't deserve anything better.

vanillasky
08-28-2005, 02:52 AM
I couldn't agree more. He doesn't deserve another day on this earth. :furious:

I say let's save the state some money and take this evil troll out to where he murdered Dru, make him take his clothes off, ram a big stick up his azz, cut off his penis, shoot him in the feet...then the knee caps...then the upper legs... you get the idea. Then just leave him there and let the animals take care of him. He doesn't deserve anything better.

OriginalJerseyGirl
08-28-2005, 07:50 AM
When is this lowlife piece of garbage going to go to trial? I say let's save the state some money and take this evil troll out to where he murdered Dru, make him take his clothes off, ram a big stick up his azz, cut off his penis, shoot him in the feet...then the knee caps...then the upper legs... you get the idea. Then just leave him there and let the animals take care of him. He doesn't deserve anything better.Even that sounds too good for him. The evil bastard.

fran
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
When is this lowlife piece of garbage going to go to trial? I say let's save the state some money and take this evil troll out to where he murdered Dru, make him take his clothes off, ram a big stick up his azz, cut off his penis, shoot him in the feet...then the knee caps...then the upper legs... you get the idea. Then just leave him there and let the animals take care of him. He doesn't deserve anything better.

Tell us how you really feel, Bobbisangel. :angel:

fran

IndyGal
08-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Thank you for stating what so many of us feel :blowkiss:

KatzHome
08-28-2005, 12:36 PM
And then coat him with honey and bury him in a hole up to his neck ~ and let red ants have at him!

inquiringmindz
11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Thinking of Dru today....On the anniversary of her disappearance.
May you rest in peace

Bobbisangel
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
I wonder when the trial is going to be. It seems like it is taking forever. This is one creep that I want to get the death penalty. I doubt that prison has any affect on him.

cheko1
12-02-2005, 01:26 AM
I wonder when the trial is going to be. It seems like it is taking forever. This is one creep that I want to get the death penalty. I doubt that prison has any affect on him.
Bobbisangel,
The trial is supposed to begin next July.......
Death penalty is to good for him!

Breehannah6
12-02-2005, 08:01 AM
I hope its a quick trial followed by execution, Sadly we cant have it done like you have said but the sooner this SOB is no longer breathing oxygen the better, It was creepy for me as I accidently came across the findru.com website From that site I joined others such as this.
I went on the site that night because my best friends had commited suicide that day and I had just got back from another friends funeral,I went on the net to try to get my mind off it as I didnt really want to talk to anyone the site was new I dont think she had even been missing 1 week, They found Dru on my youngest sons 18th birthday ,I was so addicted to the site I would go on every morning to see what progress had happened then sadly they shut it down not long after Dru was found, I believe too soon as they could have posted the updates on the court case ect...... But I believe they had too many nasty posters or something.
I felt up until the Christmas there was hope of finding her alive but after that I knew it was really all over.

Yakwoman
12-02-2005, 09:16 AM
What is that attorney trying to say...that the killer doesn't want to die?????
Well that is just tough. That fat troll knew what he was going to do when he walked up to Dru and made her get in his vehicle.

:laugh: Fat troll. Oh, you just made my day! I live in the town where Dru was abducted, and I am sick to death of seeing his dopey face on the evening news every time his attorney whines about something. Fat troll - that's exactly what he looks like!

Yakwoman

dragonfly
12-15-2005, 11:24 AM
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/local/13410219.htm

DRU SJODIN CASE: Rodriguez lawyers claim rights violation

Attorneys say interview between suspect and his sister should be disallowed

FARGO - Lawyers for the man charged in the death of UND student Dru Sjodin say his rights were violated when investigators set up an interview between him and his sister.

The interview between Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., and his sister, Ileanna Noyes, took place in December 2003, two days after Rodriguez was arrested in the disappearance of Sjodin from a Grand Forks mall, authorities said.

Defense attorneys want the 15-minute conversation excluded from evidence against Rodriguez. Details of the interview have been sealed, along with several other court documents.

Rodriguez, 52, a convicted sex offender from Crookston, is facing trial in July for the death of Sjodin. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty if he is convicted. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of kidnapping resulting in Sjodin's death.

Wednesday's hearing before U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson is one of a number of hearings over motions leading up to the trial.

Rodriguez's attorney, Robert Hoy, said authorities "trampled his constitutional rights" by setting up the interview with his sister without his attorney present.

Prosecutors said Noyes volunteered to talk to her brother, and that she wanted to help find Sjodin.

More at link....

dragonfly
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=111576&section=News

Kidnap killing details emerge

After being abducted at knifepoint, Dru Sjodin underwent several hours of physical and emotional abuse and was injured “gravely” at least twice, U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley said Thursday.

But defense attorneys for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., charged with the kidnapping resulting in Sjodin’s death two years ago, argue that she may have been unconscious within minutes of the abduction.

For a second consecutive day, prosecutors and Rodriguez’s court-appointed lawyers Thursday disagreed on nearly every element of the case, including the wording of the criminal indictment and procedures to be used when the trial begins July 6 in Fargo’s U.S. District Court.
Rodriguez, 52, of Crookston, Minn., has pleaded not guilty. If convicted, he faces either the death penalty or life in prison without parole. Most arguments in the twice-convicted sex offender’s case have focused on interpretations in capital cases elsewhere and definitions of law used to pursue the death penalty.

Nearly all motions and documents in the case have been sealed by Judge Ralph Erickson, but Thursday’s hearing brought out new details of Sjodin’s death

Prosecutors said they plan to prove to jurors that Rodriguez immediately injured Sjodin so she couldn’t resist during the abduction and then he assaulted her “gratuitously” for hours.

In the government’s indictment, Rodriguez is accused of torture and killing Sjodin in a “heinous, cruel and depraved” manner after substantial planning and premeditation.

Attorney Richard Ney of Wichita, Kan., appointed to the case because he is certified to defend people facing the death penalty, asked the judge to strike much of language because it is vague, overbroad or insufficient to support factors favoring a death penalty sentence.

Ney argued Congress hasn’t defined heinous or depraved and left it up to courts to make it fit within the Constitution.

He also said the law doesn’t apply in Sjodin’s death because “she was unconscious shortly after her abduction.” A person must be conscious and suffering mental or physical pain for torture to occur, Ney said.
But the government has provided Rodriguez’s attorneys with the evidence prosecutors plan to use to convict him, Wrigley said.

“This isn’t anybody’s first rodeo,” he said. The defense, Wrigley said, needs to look at the evidence before saying it is insufficient to support the death penalty charge.

“They want our team of lawyers to be their legal assistance,” he said.

More than 17,000 pages of evidentiary documents have been compiled in the case. With forensic results due by Feb. 1, more paperwork will be shared between the two sides.

Erickson renewed his concern over making decisions about permitting evidence into the trial.

“It’s hard for me to determine the sufficiency or insufficiency of the evidence when I haven’t seen it,” he said. “At this point, what I have is an outline of what the government has.”

Lawyers debated 10 defense motions during the two-day hearing. The judge will rule on the motions later. For one motion, Erickson said he wanted a hearing to determine the reliability of expert testimony to support claims about dangers Rodriguez poses in the future.

Ney argued the government also plans to use Rodriguez’s prior convictions three times to support factors – including future dangerousness – for a death sentence. Rodriguez, who has been incarcerated for all but six months in the past 25 years, was a model prisoner, Ney said.

If a jury convicts Rodriguez, he doesn’t pose a danger in the prison structure, he said.

“To say he is a model prisoner, I don’t understand what that means,” Wrigley said.

It’s also difficult to predict what Rodriguez would do if he were sentenced to life in prison because he’s shown a history of escalated violence, the prosecutor said.

At least six more dates are scheduled between February and June 3 to hear pretrial issues. Sjodin’s parents, Allan Sjodin and Linda Walker, attended both days of this week’s hearing.

Allan Sjodin said they plan to attend all of the hearings. “We will stay every day if we have to,” he said after Wednesday’s session.

“For us to go through this is nothing compared to what Dru went through,” Walker said.

Rodriguez’s sister, Illeana Noyes, and mother, Delores Rodriguez, listened to debate Wednesday. Both declined to comment.

CrimeHater
12-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Its SICK and DISGUSTING what that B@St@rd (B@St@rd) did to her!! Her poor family. Its horrible enough that this has happened, but to know she suffered and was tortured... concious or not its cruel and sick.

My prayers are with her family during this difficult time.