PDA

View Full Version : Baez has subpoened Casey's myspace records

AC
08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Baez has supeonad Casey's myspace records.
http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFile...y_Subpoena.pdf

coltsgal
08-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Link doesn't work.

crocus
08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Try this

http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFiles/Stories/Local/Casey_Anthony_Subpoena.pdf

coltsgal
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
They can access deleted comments, bulletins, blogs, etc...? That's awesome.

They are going to have a hard time sorting through all the IP address visits, considering thousasnds have visited since the news of this case.

coltsgal
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I bet when Tom (the myspace guy) created myspace, he probably had no idea that stuff like this would be involved. I'm sure this isn't the first, and wont be the last.

AC
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Try this

Thanks....don't know what happened here. I checked it a couple of times before posting it. Guess I'll have to check it AFTER posting. Thanks again!

QuickAttack
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I bet that investigators have done this already, too.

QuickAttack
08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Oh, and he's subpoenaed facebook, too!

SeriouslySearching
08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
They can access deleted comments, bulletins, blogs, etc...? That's awesome.

They are going to have a hard time sorting through all the IP address visits, considering thousasnds have visited since the news of this case.They need to recover all the posts that Casey, Cindy, and Lee deleted from the onset of this case.

websurfer
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
They need to recover all the posts that Casey, Cindy, and Lee deleted from the onset of this case.

I think they whomever they may be, will start from the first post she has and work down not backwards.

I would only look at first to the latest important day like say
May 31st and go forward since Casey had a lot of party activity in May & june plus july,
She did meet tony what?
May 24th?
So maybe checking way back before that even?
So confusing....
regardless those records are there including all of ours who have looked..
No harm in looking?

Marina2
08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
What could be even more damaging in this case is possible e-mails that may have been deleted during the time the Anthony family waited for police to arrive at their house or any time thereafter. This could lead to federal charges against any involved and the FBI are sure to be aware of any activity of this sort occurring after a crime was reported. It's possible, though I don't know for sure, the comments could fall under this same scrutiny.

mom2boyz
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I am curious if there could possibly be an obstruction charge stemming from the deleted comments, blogs, messages, etc...

dax
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Can anyone tell me why Jose Baez wanted Casey's records from MySpace and Facebook? I can understand the State wanting them but why did Baez subpoena them?

Thanks for any answers

EmMomma
02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Probably because the state asked for them and he thought it might be a good idea to take a look. :crazy: IMO, Baez is making this up as he goes.

TURBOTHINK
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Can anyone tell me why Jose Baez wanted Casey's records from MySpace and Facebook? I can understand the State wanting them but why did Baez subpoena them?

Thanks for any answers

I see where he filed it with the court, but it takes a judge's signature and that I don't see. I wonder if they complied?

The state had them already, and since she deleted it Baez had no way to get them without a subpoena.

Lovejac
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
As much as I would like to make a joke (I couldn't top sleutherontheside!) I think he wants it to see the times and dates of entries and such.

dax
02-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I see where he filed it with the court, but it takes a judge's signature and that I don't see. I wonder if they complied?

The state had them already, and since she deleted it Baez had no way to get them without a subpoena.

Yeah, I wonder too. (about them complying)

It makes sense, like you say, that if she deleted so much stuff, this would be the best way to get it quickly.

The thing that confuses me is the date July 29. Right after he got the case. I can't think of what the hurry was to get those records unless, perhaps, Casey had him on a wild goose chase. Now, THAT wouldn't surprise me.

And I also agree that he is making this up as he goes along.

jmo

Cat13067
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Maybe Baez wanted KC's Facebook and Myspace information, so he can get a feel for potential jurors. Finding out what type of people supported KC might help him when selecting the perfect juror for the trial.

dax
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
As much as I would like to make a joke (I couldn't top sleutherontheside!) I think he wants it to see the times and dates of entries and such.

Do you think it was to verify some of what Casey was telling him or to look for a potential kidnapper?

Or perhaps it had something to do with Cindy?

dax
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe Baez wanted KC's Facebook and Myspace information, so he can get a feel for potential jurors. Finding out what type of people supported KC might help him when selecting the perfect juror for the trial.

But the the subpoena is dated July 29....she was only in jail a week.

dax
02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on this ...

It's a silly little thing, I know, but it confuses me.

Do you know if it is usual for a defense attorney to subpoena his own clients records?

Chilly Willy
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM

A judge's signature is not required on a defense subpoena for evidence.

dax
02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
If I was her, I'd be asking for copies of every motion he files.

In the case of Nilton Diaz he didn't give copies of any papers to the Diaz family ( they were paying the fees). They had no idea what he was filing. After I met them I told them to ask for copies and he told them it would cost $1.00 a page.

I've never heard of an attorney charging their client for copies of motions or any correspondence, for that matter.

dax
02-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Oh wait....now that's interesting. Do you mean that an attorney can subpoena anyone for documents?

If so, can the person being subpoenaed (sp) refuse? Can they be held legally in some way?

Roze
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Can anyone tell me how long KC had her Facebook and Myspace accounts?

I'm just curious given the recent photos of her diary and her compulsive need to update, document and publicize her life on these websites.

Chilly Willy
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh wait....now that's interesting. Do you mean that an attorney can subpoena anyone for documents?

If so, can the person being subpoenaed (sp) refuse? Can they be held legally in some way?

The party receiving the subpoena can file a motion to quash or modify. That's when the judge gets involved.

ETA: You might notice that the subpoena Baez issued states that the subpoenaed (sp-LOL) party has the right to object, and also that there is no place on the subpoena for a judge's signature.

dax
02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
The party receiving the subpoena can file a motion to quash or modify. That's when the judge gets involved.

Thanks for that info

so there is no way to know if MySpace and/or Facebook complied with the request, is there?

My confusion with this subpoena is because I would think it would open a can of worms for the defense......I just don't see the hurry, at that time, for them to have this info

Besides, they would have gotten the records in discovery anyway so why the hurry a week after she's arrested in July?

The more I read about what Baez does and more I listen to him, the more I think he's in way over his head....in my opinion.

Of course, I could be wrong...but I don't think so.

dax
02-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how long KC had her Facebook and Myspace accounts?

I'm just curious given the recent photos of her diary and her compulsive need to update, document and publicize her life on these websites.

I don't know....I've never been on one of her sites but I'm sure someone knows that.

TURBOTHINK
02-22-2009, 08:26 PM

In my state it is...........I don't know about Florida. It is filed with the court, then the judge signs off on it if they believe it appropriate.

Chilly Willy
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for that info

so there is no way to know if MySpace and/or Facebook complied with the request, is there?

My confusion with this subpoena is because I would think it would open a can of worms for the defense......I just don't see the hurry, at that time, for them to have this info

Besides, they would have gotten the records in discovery anyway so why the hurry a week after she's arrested in July?

The more I read about what Baez does and more I listen to him, the more I think he's in way over his head....in my opinion.

I believe at the time that the subpoena was issued, the information about Casey deleting things, including Caylee's photos, from her myspace had already been released. Baez had nothing else to do, why not subpoena the records and beat the rush?

amethyst221
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Baez can't make the state do all the leg work for him. He doesn't automatically get every document they get from a third party, especially when they are equally accessible to him.

Baez probably felt the need to know early on what, if any, damaging (or helpful) information was out there, since it seems obvious the state would get it eventually. Maybe Casey alerted him to something.

mimimama5
02-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Great thought Cat13067! I wouldn't be surprised if that plays into the desire to see who's buying the bull being shoveled around!

Janis396
02-22-2009, 11:06 PM
It's really going to muddy the waters since apparently Cindy had Casey's online password and wasn't afraid to use it to access her accounts, and even sent emails under Casey's name. It'll raise questions about which one of them really posted/sent what.

SL_Zero
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
and how would these records, if given, work their way into a doc dump so we could paw through them like curious little monkeys?

so sad that this is the first thing i thought.

desertmom
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I couldn't believe this when I read it. A good defense attorney would have done this long, long ago. I agree that it seems that JB is just making up his defense case as it goes along..."oh...the state wants that??? Well, then...I want it too." He makes winning an unwinnable case even more unwinnable....LOL.

JustJax
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I couldn't believe this when I read it. A good defense attorney would have done this long, long ago. I agree that it seems that JB is just making up his defense case as it goes along..."oh...the state wants that??? Well, then...I want it too." He makes winning an unwinnable case even more unwinnable....LOL.

(mybold)

From the dates on the document is looks like he did, July 29th, 2008...right after he was hired. (altho I am not suggesting that it makes him a good attorney...IMO he is as green as they come.)

zoey
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
It's really going to muddy the waters since apparently Cindy had Casey's online password and wasn't afraid to use it to access her accounts, and even sent emails under Casey's name. It'll raise questions about which one of them really posted/sent what.

If IIRC this was after the fact...when kc was home on bail....NOT BEFORE...but does put more dirt out there than need be....spin, spin spin

sua_sponte
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for that info

I think I remember seeing something from Casey about messages from ZFG on myspace or facebook? Does anyone else remember hearing something like this?
Remember at this time, KC was still adamant Caylee was kidnapped, and that LE wasn't using her "resources" to find her. JB may have believed the story and thought he could get his client out of jail if he could find any evidence of a real ZFG.

bailee
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
:waitasec: I'm confused why are we seeing this now ?
Is this a Baez leak or what? The timing is odd.

HELP !!!:confused:

JustJax
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
:waitasec: I'm confused why are we seeing this now ?
Is this a Baez leak or what? The timing is odd.

HELP !!!:confused:

I think it just an old thread that got bumped back up to the top because a poster was wondering if any of these subpoenaed records have been made public yet.

tiredofthis
02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
and how would these records, if given, work their way into a doc dump so we could paw through them like curious little monkeys?

Don't feel bad. I thought of the same thing. :)

eddeva
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM

i'm a little ashamed that it's the first thing i thought too, SL http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq29/eddeva/smilies/blushing.gif

bailee
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I think it just an old thread that got bumped back up to the top because a poster was wondering if any of these subpoenaed records have been made public yet.
:bang: OOOPS my bad silly wabbit I am!!

magic-cat
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
If I was her, I'd be asking for copies of every motion he files.

In the case of Nilton Diaz he didn't give copies of any papers to the Diaz family ( they were paying the fees). They had no idea what he was filing. After I met them I told them to ask for copies and he told them it would cost $1.00 a page.

I've never heard of an attorney charging their client for copies of motions or any correspondence, for that matter.

Attorney's regularly charge their clients for EVERYTHING-including copies of documents, cd's, etc unless they state up front that copies of all documents are part of the deal...then they aren't.

IF this little story had even a GRAIN of truth to it. I have ZERO confidence in Annie and less than ZERO in Casey and Cindy to be honest about anything. They are busily thinking up ways TO muddy the waters and this little tale could be just another of their tactics. NOBODY just gives out their passwords like that, especially a young person to their parent. It may have been that Casey left herself signed in or something. I am confident that she changed those passwords that she relayed to her parents/Lee as soon as she got the opportunity.

nanny1
02-24-2009, 12:41 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Exactly I am also hoping to see everything she posted on face book and myspace when she was out on bail and supposedly working on her case in Baez's office.:):)

one_hooah_wife
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
This subpoena is old ... so I assume that it was to verify Casey's claims of innocence and possibly to find any communication that Casey claimed to have had with ZFG, JL or JMH. It is interesting that the findings have not been, released in discovery documents. Although, I haven't really seen much from the defense to the prosecution. I think that we had one small document dump several months ago from Baez's office. I wonder if they have not turned over their findings to the State ... Maybe we will see a motion to compel soon ... ha ha JB it works both ways ya know!

faefrost
02-24-2009, 01:27 PM
wait a sec... Baez actually supeona'd something that might involve actual evidence in the case?

I'm speechless.

faefrost
02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks for that info

I can't speak for Facebook or Myspace specifically. But pretty much all large internet providers and ISP's have a fairly firm rule that they will not release any such information without either a very very specific LE request or a judges signature. Just because it is on a lawyers letterhead and he sounds legal and threatening will get you nothing from any of them. The stuff he is looking for contains information that could be used for nefarious purposes or to break the privacy and annonymity of users to the site. No way no how would they give that up to some Joe on the street lawyer without a Judge signing off on it, ever.

SailorMoon
02-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Personally, I think KC wants them so she dig up some penpals. I mean really.........isn't this Baez hanging himself???

secretsquirrel
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I think he's going to try to say someone else posted as her.

Spangle
02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Wonder if he asked the web sites directly for the info first. Seems like he should be able to do so, with Casey there to sign off on the request.

Or is this another situation were he is to lazy to do it.

faefrost
02-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Wonder if he asked the web sites directly for the info first. Seems like he should be able to do so, with Casey there to sign off on the request.

Or is this another situation were he is to lazy to do it.

If it is anything that would compromise the sites individual privacy agreements with the other members who posted on KC's page, then no they most certainly would not provide it. At least not without a judges signature.

Facebook and Myspace are not open fully public web sites. To post there you have to be a member, and be a party to their privacy agreements. So everyone that posted on KC's pages has an individual privacy agreement with the host.

The best KC may be able to request, would be a copy of anything she has deleted from her pages. As long as it does not include personal user information of other users, such as IP adresses etc.

Spangle
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
If it is anything that would compromise the sites individual privacy agreements with the other members who posted on KC's page, then no they most certainly would not provide it. At least not without a judges signature.

Facebook and Myspace are not open fully public web sites. To post there you have to be a member, and be a party to their privacy agreements. So everyone that posted on KC's pages has an individual privacy agreement with the host.

The best KC may be able to request, would be a copy of anything she has deleted from her pages. As long as it does not include personal user information of other users, such as IP adresses etc.

Since it has been brought up that the IP stuff, etc.. can be known by myspace, that it brings up a privacey issue. But if what is requested is the pictures, posts, etc.. stuff that was put on-line and made public by casey and friends, then they themselves made it public. It sounds like he is requesting what was deleted, so he can see what the page looked like before.

That is different then wanting to know ip addresses of posters.

That might come into play when trying to figure out a time line and a location of posting. IP addresses might show where and when she was at certain locations, using other persons computers, etc. If that is what he is doing, then he would need such a request.

But then again, does he even know what he is asking for? Which leads, does he have a direction with this request? He tends to paint broad strokes, then complain because he gets to much info.. and folks should have known what he was asking for....

Janis396
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Attorney's regularly charge their clients for EVERYTHING-including copies of documents, cd's, etc unless they state up front that copies of all documents are part of the deal...then they aren't.

IF this little story had even a GRAIN of truth to it. I have ZERO confidence in Annie and less than ZERO in Casey and Cindy to be honest about anything. They are busily thinking up ways TO muddy the waters and this little tale could be just another of their tactics. NOBODY just gives out their passwords like that, especially a young person to their parent. It may have been that Casey left herself signed in or something. I am confident that she changed those passwords that she relayed to her parents/Lee as soon as she got the opportunity.

Didn't Casey give her parents her "Timer55" password?

Seebra
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks for any answers

I think it is because KC told Jose that there was definitely messages from ZFG on Myspace or facebook but that someone deleted them.

Won't Jose be surprised?

gitana1
02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I think it is because KC told Jose that there was definitely messages from ZFG on Myspace or facebook but that someone deleted them.

Won't Jose be surprised?

No, he knows this story is nonsense.

BonKai
02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
In my state it is...........I don't know about Florida. It is filed with the court, then the judge signs off on it if they believe it appropriate.

Same here Turbo. At the VERY least, the Court Clerk signs it.

believe09
02-28-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/2/27/lee_anthony_deposed_in_zenaida_defamation_lawsuit. html

This story regarding the lawsuit includes the discussion of the latest motions by the defense to suppress photos of Casey that will be coming out.

Are these the "bad" photos that everyone has been waiting for? Are they associated with Casey's myspace account???

So confused....

Chilly Willy
02-28-2009, 06:26 PM
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/2/27/lee_anthony_deposed_in_zenaida_defamation_lawsuit. html

This story regarding the lawsuit includes the discussion of the latest motions by the defense to suppress photos of Casey that will be coming out.

Are these the "bad" photos that everyone has been waiting for? Are they associated with Casey's myspace account???

So confused....

I originally thought Baez was trying to keep the video of Casey learning that Caylee's body had been found from being released, but it sure does sound like it could be the 'bad' pictures that he's attempting to suppress:

"A new hearing date has been set for two motions filed by Casey Anthony's lawyer, Jose Baez.

One of the motions is asking a judge to stop the release of personal images of Casey's that were put on the Photobucket Web site.

Baez argues that the images were taken a year before Caylee disappeared and have no connection to the case.

In addition, Baez said the pictures will only embarrass Casey and may paint her in a negative light."

waltzingmatilda
02-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I originally thought Baez was trying to keep the video of Casey learning that Caylee's body had been found from being released, but it sure does sound like it could be the 'bad' pictures that he's attempting to suppress:

"A new hearing date has been set for two motions filed by Casey Anthony's lawyer, Jose Baez.

One of the motions is asking a judge to stop the release of personal images of Casey's that were put on the Photobucket Web site.

Baez argues that the images were taken a year before Caylee disappeared and have no connection to the case.

In addition, Baez said the pictures will only embarrass Casey and may paint her in a negative light."

This will be the result, Chilly. But KC is responsible for this. I'm sure the accused would do many things differently if she could...

Chilly Willy
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
This will be the result, Chilly. But KC is responsible for this. I'm sure the accused would do many things differently if she could...

Who knows with Casey? I can see why Baez is fighting the release as the bad pictures have nothing to do with the murder and will only embarrass Casey and her family. I guess that's a chance you take when you pose for naughty photos and then murder your child. People might learn that you're not a nice decent human being.

chefmom
02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Since it has been brought up that the IP stuff, etc.. can be known by myspace, that it brings up a privacey issue. But if what is requested is the pictures, posts, etc.. stuff that was put on-line and made public by casey and friends, then they themselves made it public. It sounds like he is requesting what was deleted, so he can see what the page looked like before.

That is different then wanting to know ip addresses of posters.

That might come into play when trying to figure out a time line and a location of posting. IP addresses might show where and when she was at certain locations, using other persons computers, etc. If that is what he is doing, then he would need such a request.

But then again, does he even know what he is asking for? Which leads, does he have a direction with this request? He tends to paint broad strokes, then complain because he gets to much info.. and folks should have known what he was asking for....

Maybe he's trying to find the IP address that Zanny was using when she hacked KC's account and started forcing her to do all those bad things or she would hurt somebody!! I bet that would certainly be there! Lol! Wonder what poor soul they are going to try to throw under the bus now?

:waitasec:

panthera
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Maybe he's trying to find the IP address that Zanny was using when she hacked KC's account and started forcing her to do all those bad things or she would hurt somebody!! I bet that would certainly be there! Lol! Wonder what poor soul they are going to try to throw under the bus now?

:waitasec:
After seeing LA's deposition yesterday with him talking about communication between Casey & ZG via Myspace, after Caylee was taken by ZG, it seems that's the road Baez is heading down. He'll be sadly disappointed I'm sure when he finds the dead end. MOO

dax
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM

<snipped>

I've spoken with a bunch of attorneys who say that they cc a client EVERYTHING as a matter of course. And they all agree that they do it for their own benefit, especially defense attorneys. They don't want a client to complain to the court that they didn't know what the attorney was doing.

If they bill by the hour they will include postage charges in the monthy statement but never charge per page. They will even make copies for the client to pick up so they can avoid postage charges.

My daughter-in-law, who is a former ASA and is now in private practice warns against attorneys who are reluctant to provide copies and/or who charge extra for copies while they are working on a case. She said some attorneys don't want the client to have too much knowledge about what they are doing OR NOT DOING!

tfrohning
03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Why would JB has to subpened my space? I would think that would be part of discovery??

static
03-01-2009, 10:45 AM
LOL sorry, what he should REALLY be concerned about(in regards to his client) is fellatio.com. While doing a search of images on google,(was looking for casey party pics) it popped up,(LO AND BEHOLD !) needless to say, changed my settings to safe search.

Theonly1
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Check out this post!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3389910&postcount=1722

Some interesting sleuthing from Valhall re:Zenaida myspace.

Themis
03-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Why would JB has to subpened my space? I would think that would be part of discovery??
A subpoena is a discovery tool. My question is why use a subpoena? Why not just have his client, KC, sign a waiver of her privacy rights and a consent to release. Then, he could get whatever KC could get.

GatorFL
03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Check out this post!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3389910&postcount=1722

Some interesting sleuthing from Valhall re:Zenaida myspace.
Yeah, very interesting.