PDA

View Full Version : Your very first impression of this case

CASuzk
08-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I heard about Nicole Simpson on the radio in my car. First impression: after beating her for years, OJ finally killed her.

Laci Peterson's story was on my TV on Chistmas night. First Impression: Scott did it; no woman I know would suggest that her husband take a tiny boat, 80 miles away and go fishing on Christmas Eve.

Caylee; I read the first news story on the Web. First Impression: Mom had something to do with the fact she was missing and it wasn't going to end well.
Before the news picked up Caylee's story and made it huge, what did you think happened based on what little was known right away?

donnam
08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
My first impression was OMG not another dead child at the hands of her mother.
I have never had a "good" feeling about the outcome of this case.

Monica Mouse
08-17-2008, 03:06 PM
My first impression was that Casey was responsible for her daugther's death or, at the very least, for her going missing. I felt the same about OJ and Nicole (it was OJ), I felt from day 1 Scott killed Lacey.

olive
08-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Honestly, my first impression was that Casey was lying on purpose, with logical reason, to protect her daughter. From what or whom I did not know, and that is what led me back to Websleuths to look for more information.

Now...a month into the case, my gut feeling is not so positive. I'm doubting that my initial impression is correct.

Fandy
08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
My first impression was that she sold the child for drug money and until Cindy's 911 calls were released I thought the grandmother was also involved.

my2cents
08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
When I saw her strutting through the courthouse when she was arrested, I immediately thought that she was involved because she did not look upset in the least.

panthera
08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
First impression was a combination of Susan Smith and Melinda Duckett. Young, emotionally immature, single mother gets tired of being tied down with a small child, wants to be with a new boyfriend instead, wants to go out and party and the child is in the way. I still see the similarities with Casey and with Caylee, sadly, not being alive.

panthera
08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
When I saw her strutting through the courthouse when she was arrested, I immediately thought that she was involved because she did not look upset in the least.
If she was upset to begin with she would've reported her child missing! These are the actions of a cold-hearted person who deliberately wanted her child out of her way, in my opinion.

TheWoman
08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
My first impression was that the grandfather was involved. I know it's crazy, but I remember specifically wondering if he somehow accidentally killed Caylee (possibly wasn't watching her and she drowned), and - knowing what he did - he then left her for Casey to find, who then thought SHE was responsible, and began a huge cover up, which he later aided in, to hide his own involvement.

I also thought that she (Casey) was probably driving around with Amy's resume' in her car because she was trying to steal Amy's identity to get a job and/or apartment.

[Edit to clarify: This isn't local news for me, so I actually saw it first on these boards and the web, and didn't get a "first read" from the news like others might have.]

my2cents
08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
If she was upset to begin with she would've reported her child missing! These are the actions of a cold-hearted person who deliberately wanted her child out of her way, in my opinion.

True, but the courthouse strut was the first I had heard about any of this. That was the assumption I had before I learned that Caylee was missing for that long.

panthera
08-17-2008, 03:19 PM
True, but the courthouse strut was the first I had heard about any of this. That was the assumption I had before I learned that Caylee was missing for that long.
Oh, I see what you're saying now! The first I'd heard of her being missing was the parents on FoxNews, and I thought "31 days and she's just now being reported missing?" :eek:

LI_Mom
08-17-2008, 03:22 PM
First impression: No human being 'loses' a child & happily goes on to pretend that everything is perfectly normal for a full month & only when cornered tries to pin the blame on some vague person she knows police won't be able to trace in any way.

If Caylee was a beer, I'm sure Casey never would have lost track of her.

technicalconfusion
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Her mother did it.

technicalconfusion
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
If Caylee was a beer, I'm sure Casey never would have lost track of her.

LOL. Or a man.

my2cents
08-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, I see what you're saying now! The first I'd heard of her being missing was the parents on FoxNews, and I thought "31 days and she's just now being reported missing?" :eek:

That was my second thought when I Cindy was on tv later that night. I thought it was all odd and that the family was nuts. 31 days is ridiculous.

Betty Boop
08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
My first impression was "deja vu". This case almost immediately struck me as similar to the Scott Peterson case. At first it was just a more-or-less intuitive feeling that Casey and Scott Peterson were a lot alike.

* Casey's contention that a kidnapper was at fault (same as Scott P.)
* Casey's narcissistic responses on initial taped calls ("all they care about is Caylee"), Scott's self-concern from the beginning.
* The lies that began to surface (Scott said he was in Paris, Casey said she had a job).
* Facts explained away (decomp smell in Casey's car, Scott's cement blocks).
* Casey seeming jealous of her mother's "cameo appearances" on TV shows, Scott going on TV early on.
* Basically, in both cases, things being said that just don't "fit", that make my truth antenna go haywire!
* Scott selling Laci's vehicle, Casey partying so soon (both moving on while things unresolved).

Also, my very first thought when the 31 days was mentioned was "who keeps such close track in a case like this?" I would have understood if they said, "It has been a month" or about a month. That 31-day statement still bothers me -- as though someone was counting day-by-day, like crossing the days off on a calendar.:waitasec:

mazajo
08-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I first heard about it on CNN, they were only showing pictures of Caylee and saying the mother hadn't reported her missing for a month.

My thoughts were that the mother probably was on drugs, she left her kid with somebody she didn't know very well for an undetermined length of time, maybe the 'sitter' even picked the kid up from the mother at McDonalds or another friends house and she didn't even know where she lived or something. I thought she really had left her with somebody and just couldn't find her, and as the story broke the person who had the little girl would step forward.

Obviously I know now that is not the case.

STEADFAST
08-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I first learned about this case watching the news, when it was just reported that Caylee was missing in Orlando and her mother hadn't reported her missing for 31 days. I immediately thought of Aarone Thompson (sp?) and Trenton Duckett and came here to WS to get the latest information. I immediately thought the mother had killed her or knew who killed her. I haven't seen anything to change my mind about that. In fact, every thing I've seen only supports it.

CASuzk
08-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Now that some time has passed, and I know more, my opinion has not changed.

Casey is not some hick from the sticks. She has grown up watching real and fictional cop shows, she knows how an Amber alert works so here for me is the bottom line: why would a girl like that not know for fact that LE has many resources available to find her child. Why didn't she spill to the FBI? They can and do use covert operations when necessary so why would she not tell the FBI what they needed to know?

LoriKeet
08-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I thought...here we go again! Young "head in the clouds" sociopath gets rid of daughter who is getting in the way of her social life.

Initially I thought (since she was so smug and secretive) that she sold Caylee for drugs. Now I think she killed her so she could do drugs...and whatever else suited her fancy!

MD MOMMY
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
My first response was "how could she" then I stopped myself and tried to keep an open mind. I still try and think openly but everytime I do..another lie surfaces. This is one of the toughest cases for me to think openly about but a part of my mind still tries.

GatorMom
08-17-2008, 04:39 PM
My first impression was Caylee Anthony had been killed by her mother Casey and that Cindy Anthony was somehow involved in covering it up.

Since then I have tried to convince myself Cindy Anthony is another one of Casey's victims but I can't quite manage it; there is something wrong there. I won't go into detail and offer up my .02 here though.

That's my first impression of this case.

commongrackle
Honestly? I can't recall my first impression.

Except...I didn't believe she was actually kidnapped. I remember that.

ShouldBWorking
My first response was "how could she" then I stopped myself and tried to keep an open mind. I still try and think openly but everytime I do..another lie surfaces. This is one of the toughest cases for me to think openly about but a part of my mind still tries.

ditto

Elphaba
08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
My first impression was that it was starting to look too "McCann-ish"... only thing missing was Cuddlecat and some obscure drawing of some faceless egg-headed stranger as being the suspect. Then George did show up one time holding a stuffed animal in an interview, if I recall correctly, and I was like "this is bunk... next comes the call out for big money." It took me a few days to finally get the bigger picture that it wasn't a setup, and that the grandmother wasn't involved (hearing the 911 calls, Cindy's voice spoke volumes and took away any thought that I held, that she was probably involved in Caylee's disappearance)
Now: I think Casey has done something to that child and that her parents are innocent bystanders trying hard to make sense of it all, but making some HUGE stumble as they try to deal. Thank goodness they finally went quiet and got a spokesperson. They should have sought one out from the get-go.

panthera
08-17-2008, 04:43 PM
I know what you mean. The party pictures from 6/20 were the final straw for me to possibly think she didn't do permanent harm to her little girl, intentionally. MOO

Diamond
08-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I first learned about this case watching the news, when it was just reported that Caylee was missing in Orlando and her mother hadn't reported her missing for 31 days. I immediately thought of Aarone Thompson (sp?) and Trenton Duckett and came here to WS to get the latest information. I immediately thought the mother had killed her or knew who killed her. I haven't seen anything to change my mind about that. In fact, every thing I've seen only supports it.

Pretty much, the same here...only I saw a news headline.

I didn't get into the story, because some cases really take their toll on me. Especially, crimes against babies and toddlers...they are innocent, dependent and have no defenses. However, when I learned the 'mother' was still playing games, I couldn't avoid it any longer. I didn't and still don't feel Caylee is with us and her 'mother' is responsible. Obviously, I'm hoping that's not the case...would LOVE to be wrong.

mjhelms
08-17-2008, 04:53 PM
My first post!
In the beginning, I honestly believed based on Casey's demeanor that she killed Caylee intentionally, not accidently. I have three children and I would NEVER be so nonchalant about them missing for even an hour much less for over a month? I start to get upset if they are even 10 minutes late coming home from their curfew. I still cannot get over the fact that Caylee was missing for over 30+ days and NO ONE, not even her grandparents who saw her often reported her missing! Because it has been so long with no signs of Caylee coupled with the behavior of Lee, Casey's brother, I don't think the outcome of this case is going to be happy at all.

Indianagirl
08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
My first impression was "deja vu". This case almost immediately struck me as similar to the Scott Peterson case. At first it was just a more-or-less intuitive feeling that Casey and Scott Peterson were a lot alike.

* Casey's contention that a kidnapper was at fault (same as Scott P.)
* Casey's narcissistic responses on initial taped calls ("all they care about is Caylee"), Scott's self-concern from the beginning.
* The lies that began to surface (Scott said he was in Paris, Casey said she had a job).
* Facts explained away (decomp smell in Casey's car, Scott's cement blocks).
* Casey seeming jealous of her mother's "cameo appearances" on TV shows, Scott going on TV early on.
* Basically, in both cases, things being said that just don't "fit", that make my truth antenna go haywire!
* Scott selling Laci's vehicle, Casey partying so soon (both moving on while things unresolved).

Also, my very first thought when the 31 days was mentioned was "who keeps such close track in a case like this?" I would have understood if they said, "It has been a month" or about a month. That 31-day statement still bothers me -- as though someone was counting day-by-day, like crossing the days off on a calendar.:waitasec:

Excellent post! I also thought it was weird to state "31 days"...

Kat1124
08-17-2008, 05:15 PM
My first impression of the case, when I saw Casey walking into the room with the light blue hooded sweatshirt when she was arrested, was that she looked way too calm and cavelier (hope that's the right word here) to have had her two year old missing for a month, and that there had to be a rational explanation for it (of course this is trying to rationalize something very irrational). And then she seemed to crack a smile (I thought it might have been that she saw all the reporters and cameras there). It all reminded me of that case where a woman who's little son had just been murdered was filmed shortly thereafter laughing and shooting off silly string on his gravesite to celebrate his birthday. Just listen to the way Casey talked to her own mother (obviously before realizing it was all being taped) in that jailhouse conversation and that is the true Casey. It's so hard to fathom, but history shows mothers do kill their own children. Oh, man, not another one.

distracted
08-17-2008, 05:18 PM
My first impression was neutral until I heard the 9-1-1 tapes and the tapes released from Casey's first day in jail. But I have to admit, though, that I have suspected Casey's involvement from day one, hard as I might try to wait for all of the evidence.

After learning she had been missing for 31 days (add me to the list of people who has always thought that is significant) and witnessing the lack of any concern for Caylee from Casey in her phone calls, there has been no doubt in my mind that she is responsible. I still believe it today.

I had a ton of questions, however, and went looking for answers on the internet, which led me here for the first time.

wallflower67
08-17-2008, 05:23 PM
When I first heard about it, I also heard the info that she'd been missing for 31 days and not reported.

So my immediate thought was the mother did it.

Same with the McCanns, same with Susan Smith and Melinda Duckett. I have to say I gave Scott Peterson the benefit of the doubt for a while. I also gave the Ramseys the benefit of the doubt for a while. Mark Hacking was another story...I figured he did it. But by then I was Scotted out so that may have colored my opinion.

NighTillDawn
08-17-2008, 05:34 PM
I heard about Nicole Simpson on the radio in my car. First impression: after beating her for years, OJ finally killed her.

Laci Peterson's story was on my TV on Chistmas night. First Impression: Scott did it; no woman I know would suggest that her husband take a tiny boat, 80 miles away and go fishing on Christmas Eve.

Caylee; I read the first news story on the Web. First Impression: Mom had something to do with the fact she was missing and it wasn't going to end well.
Before the news picked up Caylee's story and made it huge, what did you think happened based on what little was known right away?

First impression? That Caylee's mom had done something horrible to her little girl. Now with everything i'm almost 100% certain Caylee is no longer with us.

Beyond Belief
08-17-2008, 05:44 PM
First impression: Family abduction

poco
08-17-2008, 05:46 PM

DITTO - and you can add to that the Susan Smith case - when I saw that woman on TV crying for like her first interview, I thought to myself, OMG, that woman is faking it big time with her "i want my babies back". I had her pegged from the beginning.

Renea
08-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I remember my first impression.... I was reading about the case on Fox News... I told my husband... "that woman is hiding her child to protect her from someone".

My hubby laughed at me!

Jolynna
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM
This case reminds me of Trenton Duckett, Jon Benet Ramsey, Natalie Holloway & Maddie in that it has generated strong emotions and there is the possibility it may never be solved.

Back when I followed Trenton's case and read the headlines, LE Believes Trenton is Alive etc., I believed them. I hoped.

That was before I started following Websleuth's current crime thread avidly. I am constantly shocked by the cruelties inflicted upon the innocent.

Still, Casey's attitude and dumb alibi stand out.

My greatest fear is that a good PR person, proper media management, good lawyering, a pretty face and the title of "mom" will prevent justice from prevailing.

yolorado
08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
How can you not know where you left your baby, or with whom...in stunning detail!?

LI_Mom
08-17-2008, 06:39 PM
How can you not know where you left your baby, or with whom...in stunning detail!?

If Casey is a blackout drunk, I guess I can buy that she could lose track of her baby....

what's the most disturbing is that even when her friends asked her to her face where Caylee was... she showed NO SIGN that anything was wrong & she just simply lied.

Sick. And there's no believable excuse why an innocent person would even be able to do this.

kidz110
08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
The first time I saw Casey walk into that courtroom I thought, "I've seen that look before." That was just how my sister's husband carried himself. After I saw several videos of Cindy defending her daughter I thought, "I've known a parent like that." Even after the judge said, "Life with no chance of parole" his parents were still trying to convince everyone he was a good person and shouldn't be in prison.

yolorado
08-17-2008, 07:07 PM
If Casey is a blackout drunk, I guess I can buy that she could lose track of her baby....

what's the most disturbing is that even when her friends asked her to her face where Caylee was... she showed NO SIGN that anything was wrong & she just simply lied.

Sick. And there's no believable excuse why an innocent person would even be able to do this.

Good point on the blackout thing, but then that in, itself is an explanation, so why couldn't/wouldn't you tell the cops where the baby was the last time you can remember where she was. Like, 'She was in the car with me while I was eating pizza and drinking the fifth of gin at the check-cashing place, but when I woke up at TonE's, she wasn't there I had no idea where she was. When TonE got there, I was alone and he didn't see Caylee. We found the pizza box, but we left it since TonE doesn't like pizza.' Then, the cops could at least have a place to start. They could confirm her story that the baby wasn't there, that she was upset, whatever.... Then the cops could start looking at surveilance tapes and talking to people and organizing searches in the area. But I still am having a hard time understanding how can your baby go missing and you just go on with your life...until you're caught with your pizza box smelling like death and absolutely no rational explanation for anything.

feddup
08-17-2008, 07:07 PM

I know, its not like she lost her designer purse or something.
Absolutely mind boggling.

newuser
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
My first, knee jerk impression was that Casey sold her. I thought Casey was making up the kidnapping story to protect herself from having sold her. My husband was more forgiving. He insisted for several days that he believed Casey was trying to find Caylee on her own. The first 911 call, and the last one released, changed his mind. When we heard Cindy say "I've given you a month; I'm not giving you another day", he changed his mind.

MaggieMom
08-17-2008, 07:18 PM
My first post!
In the beginning, I honestly believed based on Casey's demeanor that she killed Caylee intentionally, not accidently. I have three children and I would NEVER be so nonchalant about them missing for even an hour much less for over a month? I start to get upset if they are even 10 minutes late coming home from their curfew. I still cannot get over the fact that Caylee was missing for over 30+ days and NO ONE, not even her grandparents who saw her often reported her missing! Because it has been so long with no signs of Caylee coupled with the behavior of Lee, Casey's brother, I don't think the outcome of this case is going to be happy at all.

I agree 100%. "NO ONE" says it all. Not the GPs, not Lee, not another relative, a neighbor, a friend, NO ONE noticed Caylee wasn't where Casey said she was. NO ONE. And that is so sad.

(and congrats on your first post.)

mollymalone
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I first heard of little Caylee Anthony when a picture of Casey flashed on the screen with the news that the child had been missing for 31 days and the mother had never called 911.

Immediate thoughts of both myself and DH were "she's killed her," that's why she never reported it.

Everything we've heard since hasn't convinced us otherwise, in fact, it's solidified our opinion.

TXredhead178
08-17-2008, 07:52 PM
My first impression, after learning that Casey had not reported Caylee missing until after a month went by, was that she had done something terrible to her daughter, and up until the time she spoke with authorities, she was trying to cover her tracks. The thing I keep coming back to is, what kind of a mother would wait that long to call the police, even if there had been a kidnapping and there was concern for her daughter's life? What mother wouldn't be frantically searching for her daughter after she went missing? And what kind of parent wouldn't call 911 if there had been an accident? Everything I've seen since I first learned of this case has only reinforced my initial impression.

Beyond Me
08-17-2008, 07:58 PM
First impression......What is wrong with mothers these days??!!

RoseRed
08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
First impression same as now that Casey gave Caylee to someone she knew to spite Cindy. Her not concerned attitude makes me think she knows where Caylee is and that she is safe. She told her friends that her Mother was interfering with her life and I still believe Caylee is alive and with someone Casey knows.

Muzikman
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
First impression same as now that Casey gave Caylee to someone she knew to spite Cindy. Her not concerned attitude makes me think she knows where Caylee is and that she is safe. She told her friends that her Mother was interfering with her life and I still believe Caylee is alive and with someone Casey knows.

This was pretty close to my first impression also, that Casey was hiding her from from the grandparents due to a family squabble. There are a lot of things pointing towards that - her total lack of concern, and most notably the Myspace blog by Cindy.

I still kind of think that, if it weren't for the cadaver dogs hitting. It's hard to believe tho that if Casey were just hiding her from the GP's, she would have sat in jail this long and not told the real story. Unless she's afraid of spending time in prison on the child neglect charges and is trying to figure out a way to get out of them, and will then reveal who has her.

Patty G
08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I wrote the following in my blog when I first heard about Caylee.

Something is very, very wrong here regarding the disappearance of Caylee. When I first heard this story last week, I found it odd right from the start.

I have a feeling this child is not alive anymore and eventually it will all surface. This all happened around *June 9th, should this be the truth of the day Casey left with Caylee to bond.

When Did Some Mother's Just Stop Caring? Caylee's Mother Casey Holds The Key!

Although I wrote June 9th as this is the day that was first reported that Caylee was last seen, but the date is June 16th based on what the Anthony's have spoken.

txsvicki
08-17-2008, 10:16 PM
I didn't even listen to this case on the tv shows or read here for awhile at first. I was reading in the JonBenet forum and about the update in her case at the time. It took reading here and looking at all the information for me to conclude that Caylee is deceased. I sure hope the two cases don't end up the same way, unsolved for years and years.

tabbykiki
08-17-2008, 10:21 PM
First impressions were that Casey had something to do with the baby going missing, that the baby was likely dead and that Casey didn't care. Then you add in the party pics, the phone calls, etc. and you really can't see it another way.

Michelle623
08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
We were getting ready to eat dinner when it came on the news. My first words were that she was a liar and she did something to that baby. My 8 year old son stated "Yeah, Mom - if I was missing you'd be screaming and driving the police crazy until they found me!!!" Out of the mouths of babes.

Openmyeyes
08-17-2008, 11:09 PM
When the news first broke on tv, I immediately pulled up Websleuths to see what was on here. I really wasn't sure if what I actually saw wasn't some cable news spin. Something was absolutely not right with what I was seeing, hearing and reading.

I thought then and believe to this day that there are SERIOUS problems within this family. It was a power struggle that got out of control and in the middle was this beautiful little girl. It curdles my stomach to think that anyone in this family allowed this to happen. In fact, the only one I feel is above reproach is Lee. Something in my gut tells me that Lee wasn't asked to get involved in this until the last minute, when things were spiriling out of control. Right away it opened some old wounds involving a family experience that didn't get to this level, but was hell for 12 years.

Common sense tells me Casey did something that resulted in Caylees demise, but I am not 100% certain. I knew Susan Smith was guilty the minute I saw her boo hooing on TV, and begging for the carjackers to bring back her babies. I knew the minute I saw Scott Peterson with his baseball hat pulled down over his eyes that the SOB killed Laci and Conner. Right now I have equal distain for Casey, Cindy and George. Casey is lying, plain and simple. Whatever Casey says cannot be proven. Is it as simple as Casey just wanting to cover her own evil deeds or is she covering for someone else?

No one in this case has said or acted in a way that has made any sense, even to this day. What does make sense is this is a case that has shown us nothing but the main
parties wanting to manipulate all the information that is coming out and no one is giving anyone, LE included, any avenue to search for Caylee. Why??? Because I ask this question continually, I have hope Caylee is alive. It is probably only about 1%, so I won't be surprised if she not.

It hurts me that these people put this child in the middle of their own personal problems.

passionflower
08-17-2008, 11:44 PM
My very first feeling on this case,was Caylee was murdered by Casey! I have not changed my mind at all. I still feel that way. She is such a great liar just like Mark
Hacking was!!! IMO

JimNJPA
08-17-2008, 11:55 PM
My first impression of this case was when I saw Cindy in court and thought of how bizarre she was acting. I had the feeling right away that something bad happened to Caylee and that Cindy was covering bigtime for Casey. George acts bizarre as well and I don't think it's because his granddaughter is missing. In my opinion, the whole family is covering for Casey and knows the terrible truth about what happened to little Caylee. I hope Casey gets what's coming to her!

CASuzk
08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I also saw such a disconnect between the Cindy, who made the 9-11 call and the Cindy who announced to the news that she supported and believed in her daughter.

Bruce's_Mom
08-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I first heard a CNN report with the 911 calls, shortly after the story broke. My first impression, I admit, sounds kind of horrible and cynical, but I immediatly thought the mother killed the child intentionally and attempted putting off detection by not reporting her missing. About 2 weeks earlier my dog had gone missing for a period of 6 hours, and I remember thinking, "Wow my dog was lost out of the yard and I immediatly began intensely searching, this girl loses her child and doesn't call the police, she must have killed her."

Vegas Bride
08-18-2008, 11:14 AM
My first thoughts when I heard Caylee was missing was, Why? Why does this have to happen again? Why are there parents who don't treasure the best thing they'll ever have in their life?
The more that came out, pictures of Casey at the clubs, the jail recordings etc, just got my blood boiling.
I would love to think somehow sweet Caylee could be safe, but there's this little thing called common sense that won't let me do that.

VB

Alyzabeth
08-18-2008, 12:34 PM
My first impression is that this would be a looooooooong drawn out case and Caylee will never be found. I avoided reading or listening to anything about this at first because I didn't want to feel sorry for people I cannot do anything to help. But a person close to me kept sending me emails about it and I couldn't ignore it any longer.
Now I am so caught up in it I check news updates constantly to see if anyone has found Caylee yet.

Amberjack
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
My first impression? Guilty!

What was with the smile/smirk at her jail walk?!
Cadaver dogs hit on an area behind the pool, the sandbox & playhouse
As well as the trunk of the car
She may have enlisted someone to help her dispose of the body
The persons George says are being surveilled near Sanford/Deltona?

Lee says she has had a very tough year
I think her troubles began with these ABC parties in "Lake Vaj"

Her mother, Cindy possesses the same denial traits as Casey.
Rude, indignant, controlling............

gitana1
08-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I saw her on the news after being arrested and thought "Baby Grace! This child is dead." casey had almost the same demeanor as the "egg donor" who helped kill her daughter in Texas. Newscasters got that woman on camera before she was arrested, in front of her house and her attitude was so similar. I really hope I am wrong. Oh, to see that baby alive and smiling would be indescribable! I did and still do, however, feel the case will be solved.

ChattyWoman
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
My first impression was that same 'gut feeling' I had when I watched
Susan Smith, OJ, and Scott Peterson...mom killed her. At first I thought
it might have been an accident, but as time passes, I believe it was
intentional. I believe grief and guilt would overcome an accident.

jon_burrows
08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
First impression -- accidental death in the home or yard. Casey panicked, then hid the body.

After hearing about Casey's lifestyle and lies after she disappeared, my opinion changed to premeditated murder. I don't think it was planned weeks or even days ahead of time but enough time for it to be considered premeditated. I remember hearing one of the legal analysts say that premeditated murder could mean mere minutes (or less) before the actual crime.

PGW
08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
First impression: Casey responsible for the death of her child. Also first impression, that it happened by accident during the course of illegal activity on part of mother. That the accidental death revolves around mother's illegal activity with meth. That the child passed in her car seat and Casey realized after a panic to get help, that it was too late to get help. That there is a second person who is fully aware of what transpired and encouraged her to do a burial rather than expose everything else that was going on. That Casey's family members are not the ones who encouraged this. Next impressions: That Casey did love her child but has emotional and drug problems. That Casey kept the child in the trunk while trying to figure out what to do. That the shovel was used to bury the child, and that the gas cans were used to burn car seat cover and items of clothing of Caylee's, and possibly burned the body. That a blanket is missing from a home Casey associates with and the child was wrapped in this at burial. Blanket is possibly blue. That a very large rock was moved to mark the spot of the child's burial. Area resembles a park. That Casey had to have a reason for the shovel and used it after the burial, to work in her parent's yard, thinking this would throw off parents and neighbors should it come into question. That Casey's mother suspected but couldn't bring herself to accept. That Casey's father is heartbroken and knew instinctively but didn't want to accept. That Casey was too afraid to tell the truth and evenmoreso now. That she does lie about things but that she would like an ending to this and will lead them to the truth and place very soon, once she realizes it's not too late to speak and say it, that for the sake of Caylee and the love she had for this child that she must do this and drop the acting, which I believe the partying also was her alibai and once again she was encouraged to party by a second person who has knowledge in this and it is not her family. Those are my impressions. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

not_my_kids
08-19-2008, 03:27 AM
CAsey sold Caylee or allowed her to be taken as payment for some sort of debt. First impression still stands.

Leila
08-19-2008, 04:09 AM
I first heard about this case on Fox News, and saw Casey's strut into the courtroom and heard the judge's admonition to her and Casey's weak response. No emotion whatsoever! My first impression was I knew she had something to do with her daughter's disappearance. When the initial details were reported, that she led police on a wild goose chase and had lied to them, I felt it was likely the Casey had harmed Caylee or had sold her.

The first time Cindy and George were interviewed, my impression was that even Cindy was not acting as one would expect a grandmother to act with her granddaughter missing. She didn't shed any tears. That first weekend was wild, as Cindy was so rude to those in the media who interviewed her. I felt sorry for George at that time, as he never said much, just nodded his head. Of course, over time, and with George becoming more vocal, I could see that he too was not acting normal.

Clock's Tickin
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I was cooking dinner when I first heard and looked up at the TV as Casey was walking into the courtroom. My first thought, by her appearance alone, was --OMG! This girl is in a completely dissociative state!---Her entire demeanor suggests that whatever happened to Caylee was soo traumatic that she was simply pushed into another reality, one that she can better cope with. Her history as a liar only proves that she is predisposed to just such a condition. I'm newly registered here, but I've been lurking a while--I know Casey gets very little sympathy on the boards. I feel very sorry for her.....not as sorry as I am for Caylee, but I do reserve a little for her mom.

catherineb
08-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Not my first impression - cause I thought for sure Casey is not acting right, and neither are her family... and thought for sure that she has killed the child.

I'm beginning to wonder.....could this be a simple paternity case? Could Caylee's biological father have her? Did he threaten harm to Caylee if Casey went to the police? Even then, why not tell someone that the person has abducted the child? You aren't guarenteed automatic rights to a child if you are uninvolved to this point in her life. And Casey has seemed too cheerful for someone undergoing blackmail.

I'm just confused - I was in the beginning and still am. :rolleyes:

keeponsearching
08-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I think at first I thought the whole family was involved... Just by the way Cindy was acting. Once I heard the 911 call that cleared it up and cindy didnt know anything. From this day I truely believe Cindy and George believe Caylee is alive and believe there daughter. Now the way Casey acted on the 911 call made me think a few things. One.. That she knows where Caylee is and feels no threat against her, or two she has no heart and killed her daughter. I go back and forth because of evidence. And today I am going with Caylee is alive.. I know there are other mothers that had no feelings at all when they killed there babies but I would think Casey would of showed some emotion.... Idk..

Prayin_4_Grace
08-19-2008, 09:41 AM
My first impression was that she killed her accidentally and tried to cover it up or that she knew who did and was covering for them (possibly a BF). I have since ruled the later out since she seems to selfish to cover for anyone but herself.

angelmom
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
My first impression of OJ was that there was no way he could have done it and not been seen. My mind changed very gradually, and I wasn't 100% sure he did it until I watched his reaction to the verdict.

My first impression of the Laci Peterson case was "That poor man is missing his wife and unborn baby! I can't imagine how devastated he must be!" It took about a week before I couldn't resolve the conflicts anymore and believe he might be innocent.

My first impression of Caylee's case was that her mother had traded her for drugs. I barely paid attention to the threads b/c I couldn't stand to read another story of a crappy mother not caring about her baby. It took about a day of catching up and listening to the phone call where she said, "All anyone cares about is Caylee" or something along those lines before I changed my mind.

I think that is pretty much proof that I don't jump to the most obvious conclusion and stick to it no matter what.

Either that or I'm stupid. :crazy:

icherish
08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
My first impression was that Casey was responsible for the death of her daughter.
It's still my impression...the lies, the smell of death, but her demeanor is the most telling for me.

My two yr old son (years ago) went missing for a short time- thankfully he was found safe within 15 minutes, but I can tell you...when you don't know where your two year old is, you FALL to PIECES. Right away. You call police, you tell everyone you know, you tell people you don't know to help you, you run yelling and begging in the streets if you have to and you do not stop until you have found your child.

There is no evidence at all that Casey did one freakin thing to try and locate Caylee.

angelmom
08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
my first impression was that casey was responsible for the death of her daughter.
It's still my impression...the lies, the smell of death, but her demeanor is the most telling for me.

My two yr old son (years ago) went missing for a short time- thankfully he was found safe within 15 minutes, but i can tell you...when you don't know where your two year old is, you fall to pieces. Right away. You call police, you tell everyone you know, you tell people you don't know to help you, you run yelling and begging in the streets if you have to and you do not stop until you have found your child.

There is no evidence at all that casey did one freakin thing to try and locate caylee.

exactly!

Anais
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Her mother did it.

This was also my first impression.

Susan Smith, Andrea Yates and Melinda D. amongst a few others came to mind. The very best mothers have killed and or brought harm to their children and then fabricated stories in order to try and cover up their crimes. :confused:

CHICANA
08-20-2008, 12:32 AM
My first impression was that because of Casey's defiant attitude that she didn't kill her. I was pretty rude at her age, especially when I knew or thought I was right.
IMO, it's possible that casey was pawning Caylee off with someone for long periods of time. One of the few theories I've had that resulted in a live Caylee is that she didn't know a lot about the person she left caylee with and that the woman is possibly illegal and doesn't speak much english.
Scenario : Casey finds a cheap babysitter willing to watch Caylee whatever hours she wanted and cheap. This is coming from personal experience, most Mexican women I know dote on children and I had a babysitter that would watch my kids whatever hours I needed her for the same amount. She also didn't have a SS# so she didn't have a phone until I got her a go phone. Ok, so Casey knows she can take advantage of this lperson. Maybe she called from different #s because she didn't have a phone. While Casey is on an extended leave, something comes up and the "nanny" has to move or leave. Maybe she got evicted or got in a fight with a roommate or got a call from her mom in Mexico, PR, whatever that her dad had a heart attack and she needs to get there quick. She can't locate Casey so she takes Caylee with her. Casey knows her mom is gonna flip when she hears this and she thinks this person loves Caylee enough that she wouldn't hurt her and she might as well have some fun while Caylee's gone. She lies to the cops because she has no idea she's gonna be arrested and wants to get rid of them so she can really figure out where Caylee is w/ out her parents finding out.
Because of her lies, they refuse to listen to her and she's afraid to say anything because she knows they think she killed Caylee.
But whoever has Caylee should know that LE is looking for her, right?
My husband is Mexican, he didn't know about this, nor has he heard anything on this case. He watches Spanish channels and listens to Spanish radio. His sister visited last wkend w/ her boyfriend and they knew nothing about this case. Maybe that's why Padilla was called. Since he speaks Spanish and looks like a cowboy, he would have an edge in questioning those in a Spanish community.

texasgirl
08-20-2008, 12:40 AM
My first impression was that Caylee had been kidnapped. That was before I found out that there isn't a darn babysitter named ZG!

I always look for the good....and I'm usually wrong! :(

My impression now is WAY different than it was that first day!