PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Downtimes & Maintenance

WS Admin
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Websleuths is active 24 hours a day - in fact, lately we have more people on at the slowest times than we used to average during the day just a year or two ago. While we generally can work on things without taking the Boards offline, there are a couple of tasks that require us to do so.

Currently the boards are backed up every night at 3:00 AM Central US time. The procedure is automated and takes a few minutes. As it completes fairly quickly, if you are on at the time you may notice a slowdown or an inability to make a new post. Just try again, it should work. We have decided to leave the Boards running during the backup as the inconvenience is minor and clears itself when the backup is done.

adnoid
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
There has been a rash of "breakins" to vBulletin based boards lately. The vBulletin folks have found a potential problem: There was nothing to prevent a user from setting his/her password to be the same as their user name. Some jerk has written a program that goes through the user lists of vBulletin boards and tries to log on as every person on the list, using the user name as a password. If this succeeds they send out obnoxious PMs and generally act like, well, jerks.

To fix this problem, the vBulletin people have released a new version of the software. In addition to not allowing new users to set a password identical to their name, applying the update will lock out all current users whose password is the same as their user name. Here is the announcement from vBulletin:

vBulletin 3.7.3 and 3.6.11 to be Released Next Week

In line with our new scheduled maintenance release policy, a new release for 3.6 and 3.7 will be made on Tuesday, August 26th.

These releases will contain bug fixes, but will also address a situation related to users that use their username as their password. In 3.6.11 and 3.7.3, this will be completely disallowed. Users affected by this will be forced to change their password on their first login. Additionally, a tool will be provided to email affected users with a new password. Please be aware of these potential compatibility changes when upgrading.

This release will be mentioned in the security bulletin sent out to customers today, but we will not send a further notification next week when 3.7.3 and 3.6.11 are released. Watch your Admin CP News, or the latest version check in the Admin CP to see when the new version is available. Alternatively, keep an eye on this forum for the 3.7.3 and 3.6.11 announcements.

We cannot see your password, as it is saved in an encrypted form. What the update will do is encrypt your user name and see if it gets the same result as your stored password. This is why we cannot tell you in advance if this will be a problem for you.

We are going to apply this update when it is available next week. This is the type of maintenance that DOES require us to take the Boards off line, probably for less than an hour. If you are not sure about your passord, there's no harm in resetting it - as a bonus, the procedure will double check that the email address you have on file works!

Again, we cannot check your passwords for you. If you can log in now and your email address is current, you do not need our help to set a new password.

Thank you all for your attention!

adnoid
08-31-2008, 01:38 AM
OK, we tested the upgrade on a backup of the board and it went fine - but there are 77 of you with passwords set the same as you user name still. Unfortunately I can't see who you are, but when we upgrade the real live board you will be automatically sent an email about the situation. If your email address is not current, you will be locked out and will need to get in touch with one of the staff to fix the problem.

Since the Board now seems to be busy 24/7 we're going to just pick a time and do it - you will get a notice if you try to read while we're working on it. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

adnoid
08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Those of you with your password set to be the same as your user name will get an email like this:

Dear {username},

A vulnerability has been found with your password at Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community. Some passwords are vulnerable to exploitation which may allow a third party to hijack your account.

This may lead to your account being used without your knowledge or permission, and actions being performed under your name.

Vulnerable accounts can also be bad for the board as a whole as they may enable access for automated tools to spam both the forums and other user accounts,
using your username.

As such we have had to reset your password.
You can find your new login details below.

Username: {username}
Password: {new random password}

If you want to change your password, login with the above details at the following location:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/profile.php?do=editpassword

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

BeavisMom62
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but lately, when I am posting a quick reply, I get a box that comes up that says something like "redirecting, you will now be taken to your post. Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you". What does that mean? Am I doing something wrong? It it a new feature? It doesn't happen all the time but more often lately.

adnoid
09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but lately, when I am posting a quick reply, I get a box that comes up that says something like "redirecting, you will now be taken to your post. Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you". What does that mean? Am I doing something wrong? It it a new feature? It doesn't happen all the time but more often lately.

Sometimes this happens if you've been idle for a while, it's part of the vBulletin security. I get it, too.

BeavisMom62
09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Idle? Idle? Is anyone ever idle when they are on WS? LOL. Thanks adnoid. I haven't had it happen in a few days.

adnoid
01-31-2009, 12:06 PM
There is an upgrade to vBulletin that we are going to apply some time in the next week. We've already tested it on our backup forum and there are a couple of things we need to fix up so that the customizations work, but it's minor. To do this we'll have to take the board off line for about 45 minutes, we'll put up a notice when we get closer.

From vBulletin, here are the changes:

New Features in 3.8

There are many new features and improvements to existing functionality in vBulletin 3.8.0 over vBulletin 3.7.x. Here is a brief list of just a few of the highlights.

* Social group discussions
* Social group categories
* Private message sorting and filtering
* Private message history
* Quick edit for newer types of content (visitor messages and picture comments)
* Social group icons
* Social group transfers
* Private message quick reply
* Private message throttling (limit messages sent over a time period)
* Private message reporting
* Profile privacy (limit blocks to a subset of users)
* Lightbox navigation
* Thread prefix permissions
* Dismissible notices

JBean
02-08-2009, 02:31 PM
did we make it?

adnoid
02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
did we make it?

It appears so.

CW
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Great job and i'm a flying.. lol

adnoid
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Great job and i'm a flying.. lol

Glad to hear. I've got a couple more things to tweak after I watch it for a day or two, then we'll upgrade the board to 3.8.1.

christine2448
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all your work! Rockin and rollin!

Salem
02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow adnoid - you rock!!!! It appears things went well - you must have good "electronic" karma :)

And things do seem so much quicker. Off to explore!

Salem

capps
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Awww adnoid you're the best!! Here's $1000.00 for your time and effort.
(hahahaha!! I almost couldn't type out that money part,without getting hysterical!!)

Sorry adnoid,I don't really have money to give you...but I do have tons of :blowkiss: and :clap::clap: to give!!

Thank you!

Cubby
02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Awesome! Thank you adnoid. Boards moving so fast we might have to chang to a 15 second rule. hint hint, lol... JK... we can live with 30 if we must.

Great job! Can't wait to see the new upgrade too.. looks fantastic!

ecs5298
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Adnoid,

Server's rockin' but I found a glitch with the Image Attachment upload.

Getting invalid file errors for jpg's, gif's and png's

Direct linking works fine, it's just the upload attachment.

adnoid
02-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Adnoid,

Server's rockin' but I found a glitch with the Image Attachment upload.

Getting invalid file errors for jpg's, gif's and png's

Direct linking works fine, it's just the upload attachment.

Does the file actually upload even when you get the error? Where's the latest one you did?

ecs5298
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Does the file actually upload even when you get the error? Where's the latest one you did?

The file doesn't upload at all. I'll try it on this reply here.

When trying to upload from computer it says:

popcorn.jpg:
This is not a valid image file.

I'll try now from URL.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo95/ecs5298/popcorn.jpg:

And we get the same thing.

Let me try a text file....

Bingo it worked.

Looks like it's just images. User "Phumi" brought it to my attention over in the Parking Lot - Basement Party thread.

adnoid
02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
The file doesn't upload at all. I'll try it on this reply here.

When trying to upload from computer it says:

popcorn.jpg:

I'll try now from URL.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo95/ecs5298/popcorn.jpg:

And we get the same thing.

Let me try a text file....

Bingo it worked.

Looks like it's just images. User "Phumi" brought it to my attention over in the Parking Lot - Basement Party thread.

Try it again now.

ecs5298
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Try it again now.

Looks to be working. Let's see if they show up

Yep! Working fine now. Thanks, Adnoid. Really appreciate the hard work.

whiteangora
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
This new server does seem much faster!
Thanks!:clap:

Schmerty_Jones
02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you, Adnoid. You are the best!

SuziQ
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Very fast! Thanks Adnoid!

CarolineJ
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much. Good job. I appreciate all that you worker bees do so that I can enjoy the Websleuths experience.

WholeLottaRosie
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all you do. It is nice how fast things are here now!

adnoid
02-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I was going to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin tonight, but there are 700 people on the forum fer goodness sake! It will go pretty quick, if I see the numbers get below 300 or so (and I'm awake) we'll do it then, otherwise it will be over the weekend.

adnoid
02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
As of this morning we are on the latest version of vBulletin.

One of the big changes is the arrangements of social groups - they can have multiple discussion threads now, the groups can be put into categories, and you can an icon to your group that will show in the listing:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/group.php

There are a couple of minor things we have to fix after every upgrade due to the customizations we have installed, so if you see something that does not display or work exactly right go ahead & drop me a note.

Thanks all!

Cubby
02-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Awesome! Thank you Adnoid! Does this also mean we have increased capacity with private messages?

lorann
02-16-2009, 07:42 AM
I have to reduce resolution to 90% to read all posts and sometimes that is not enough. This happened once before and you did something to correct it. Not a real biggie, but if you get a minute, please check it out. Thanks.

adnoid
03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
vBulletin has released a patch to fix a couple of minor issues with the version we are on. We'll need to take the board off line to put these in and we're going to use that time to also install a couple of enhancements. We'll do it when the board isn't too busy. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 45 minutes (more likely about 20 minutes). Thanks for your patience!

believe09
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
And the new buttons??

adnoid
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
And the new buttons??

Discussed here... (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81078)

adnoid
04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
A new update for vBulletin has been released. We'll test it out & let you know when we're going to apply it. For those who are interested the details are here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1715441

adnoid
05-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Once again vBulletin has released a minor update. We'll need to take the board off line for about 30 minutes to do the update, we'll wait until things are quiet...

adnoid
06-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Once again vBulletin has released a minor update. We'll need to take the board off line for about 30 minutes to do the update, we'll wait until things are quiet as always, probably tomorrow morning early.

Dr. Know?
01-29-2013, 04:45 AM
The site was down for about 2 hours at least tonight. At least for me. I checked if it was me and it said all users couldn't access WS. I use websitedown to check. I read tweets saying it was down for others too. Thx.

Scheduled maintenance or update?

LauraT
01-29-2013, 04:50 AM
I couldn't get on either.

Trident
04-14-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm having nothing but grief trying to use this site. I've even been paranoid enough to think the PTB are trying to discourage my "not so useful" posts.

Anyone else having this problem?

gm8549
04-14-2013, 09:04 AM
I always have problems. For me it's the flashing ads all over the place. It often just fails to load. Other times, 2 or 3 minutes for a page to load. Very frustrating

Odyssey
04-16-2013, 01:52 AM
I've gotten the "Website is taking too long to respond" error a couple times, but for the most part I'm not having any trouble.

gm8549
04-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Today and last week,the site was down. Checked on the web and it said site was down.
Frustrating

Cubby
04-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Holy slowness. What is going on with WS? I can barely get on and it's happening sporatically the last 10 days or so.

It's bad, like it was years ago. And it is only WS that is slow for me.

tlcya
04-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I think the JA trial and the heavy use in that thread is causing the problem. Been experiencing this problem off and on throughout trial but especially the last two weeks or so.

Cubby
04-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I just got a 'the server is too busy right now, try again later' message when I tried to post a reply to a thread.

I thought perhaps it was the jodi arias trial too, but the number of users online isn't really that outrageous.

Trident
04-29-2013, 06:28 AM
This AM, 4/29/2013, I spent more than an hour or so trying to get on, but I couldn't. Was there a down time, or was I being discouraged?

ella971
04-29-2013, 06:38 AM
I think it was down I was trying myself.

LaLaw2000
05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Was Websleuths down this morning after 4am? I am just now able to get back on! Was it just me? TIA

momtective
05-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Was Websleuths down this morning after 4am? I am just now able to get back on! Was it just me? TIA

Not just you darlin'...I think there was a bunch of us who were :scared: I was in a :panic: but now :okay:

We're back :woot:

CHERIE.T
05-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Was just down for me....anyone else?

katydid23
05-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Was just down for me....anyone else?

Yup. iT was down for me too. It wouldnt load.

PMLsmom
05-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Hey adnoid - have you changed WS over to the new servers yet? Just want to make sure so that we can resume posting pics, gifs, etc...

believe09
05-08-2013, 07:16 AM
It was down for me too. I cant remember when I could get back on...

Satch
05-08-2013, 11:39 PM
The blogtalk radio shows do not load for me. Just a blank screen and Firefox in the upper left corner has the connecting circle spinning around forever.

Satch

Satch
05-08-2013, 11:42 PM
The blogtalk radio shows do not load for me. Just a blank screen and Firefox in the upper left corner has the connecting circle spinning around forever.

Satch

Working now!

Satch

LaLaw2000
05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Just now able to get back on Websleuths. Was it scheduled maintenance or what?

SoSueMe
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Websleuths was down for a while today and it was definitely unscheduled. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Upgrades should be coming soon. Please bear with us folks and thank you for your patience.

In the future, if the site should go down, please check the Twitter below for updates:

WebsleuthsForum (https://twitter.com/websleuthsforum)

(https://twitter.com/websleuthsforum)

gm8549
05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Thank you sooo much for a place we can check for info !