PDA

View Full Version : Cases That Haunt You - *merged*

Pages : 1 [2] 3

tuppence
09-15-2008, 08:48 AM
The cases that haunt me the most are the ones where people disappear and no-one has any idea what happened. I think those situations can be the hardest on loved ones - there is no closure, they will always be looking. Not to say that there is ever 'closure' for families of victims but I can't imagine not knowing anything. If there is a body then at least one can focus on trying to find the perp. If there is a highly likely perp then you focus on trying to convist the perp and find a body.

For thse reasons I think more about Maura Murray and Rachel Cooke then Natalie Holloway (I feel certain that the boys killed her and I hope they rot in hell!!! but it doesn't call to me).

I worry more about Leana Warner (Beaner) then Caylee (now that it appears quite certain that KC killed her).

etc.

Hope4Lost
09-16-2008, 02:34 AM
http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/579200

*A Sad Christmas Story But Important Reminder About Safety* (http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/579200)

kline
09-16-2008, 04:41 AM
The cases that haunt me the most are the ones where people disappear and no-one has any idea what happened. I think those situations can be the hardest on loved ones - there is no closure, they will always be looking. Not to say that there is ever 'closure' for families of victims but I can't imagine not knowing anything. If there is a body then at least one can focus on trying to find the perp. If there is a highly likely perp then you focus on trying to convist the perp and find a body.

For thse reasons I think more about Maura Murray and Rachel Cooke then Natalie Holloway (I feel certain that the boys killed her and I hope they rot in hell!!! but it doesn't call to me).

I worry more about Leana Warner (Beaner) then Caylee (now that it appears quite certain that KC killed her).

etc.
I totaly agree.
As a parent I cant think of a better definition of hell then to have one of your children walk out of the house one day and never come back.
To have years go by and to have to live with the various scenarios your imagination would torture you with.And never an answer.
Thats why the Bonnie Bickwit and Mitchel Weiser case hit me so hard.
Gone since 1973.I dont want to imagine.

LinasK
09-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Ilene Misheloff
Candy Starr-1975
Natalee Holloway
Caylee Anthony
Maddi McCann
Jon Benet Ramsey
Chandra Levy

littlehorn
09-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Boy, that Maura Murray case is weird. Hard to separate whether she was targeted opportunistically because she was vulnerable at the time, or whether her bizarre behavior was what directly caused her demise.

gaia227
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Boy, that Maura Murray case is weird. Hard to separate whether she was targeted opportunistically because she was vulnerable at the time, or whether her bizarre behavior was what directly caused her demise.

littlehorn - have you read this in-depth article about her disappearence? It has a lot of info and is really interesting. A must read for anyone interested in Maura's case.

http://southshorexpress.net/content/view/48/174/

Maura is one of those that really gets me. So many inconsistencies, things that just don't add up, the various sightings of her, the damage to the car not being congruent with the accident scene, the rag stuffed in the tailpipe, the eerie message left on her boyfriends cell phone, Maura's actions before she left on that fateful trip to whereever she was going.

It is enough to drive a person nuts.

littlehorn
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for that link, it's a great article, I'm reading it right now!

CASuzk
09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Back in mid '70s a young girl was murdered by stranglulation here. The barn she was murdered in has been restored and sit in a small park along with an old house which houses the local historical society. I pass the barn several times a week either on my bike or driving by and the spot is so tranquil, overlooking the Pacific Ocean; you would never know what happened there.

This is my hometown and it was a small beach town then and everybody knew everybody. The children involved were a girl about 8, her younger brother and a boy about 11 or 12. The kids lived in some rundown apartments overlooking the lagoon. They had been playing in an old barn about a block from the beach and supposedly, the girl went missing. The older boy told a story about her being carried off by a "bushy haired stranger" and after a search, her body was found in the barn.
The kicker was, the police never believed the story. No search ever provided any evidence that a bushy haired stranger was hanging around. I know this because I was casually dating a police officer at the time. The five year old said that the older boy choked her but he was a Downs child and the DA said his testimony would not be allowed. The older boy told several stories before his parents sort of said, ""put up or shut up" and the whole matter was dropped.

Both families involved were not "locals" and poor, so there was little effort to reach the truth. Both families moved on and I guess, left the area altogether.

I do wonder what happened to the older boy, where he is today. He knows he murdered her; did he murder again? Is he a father of children now? Does he live a normal life or is one of the monsters we read about and discuss here?

tuppence
09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Back in mid '70s a young girl was murdered by stranglulation here. The barn she was murdered in has been restored and sit in a small park along with an old house which houses the local historical society. I pass the barn several times a week either on my bike or driving by and the spot is so tranquil, overlooking the Pacific Ocean; you would never know what happened there.

This is my hometown and it was a small beach town then and everybody knew everybody. The children involved were a girl about 8, her younger brother and a boy about 11 or 12. The kids lived in some rundown apartments overlooking the lagoon. They had been playing in an old barn about a block from the beach and supposedly, the girl went missing. The older boy told a story about her being carried off by a "bushy haired stranger" and after a search, her body was found in the barn.
The kicker was, the police never believed the story. No search ever provided any evidence that a bushy haired stranger was hanging around. I know this because I was casually dating a police officer at the time. The five year old said that the older boy choked her but he was a Downs child and the DA said his testimony would not be allowed. The older boy told several stories before his parents sort of said, ""put up or shut up" and the whole matter was dropped.

Both families involved were not "locals" and poor, so there was little effort to reach the truth. Both families moved on and I guess, left the area altogether.

I do wonder what happened to the older boy, where he is today. He knows he murdered her; did he murder again? Is he a father of children now? Does he live a normal life or is one of the monsters we read about and discuss here?

wow. very creepy story. do you know his name?

MaryLiz
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Here's another one I wanted to add to my list. The 1928 disappearance of Glen and Bessie Hyde. This one fascinates me more than haunts me. The book about this case that Brad Dimock wrote, Sunk Without a Sound, is wonderful. I think it's pretty obvious what happened, but the folklore surrounding this case is intriguing to read about.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35012&highlight=Bessie+Hyde

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hyde_bessie.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hyde_glen.html

CASuzk
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
wow. very creepy story. do you know his name?

I don't but I think the historical society has the newspapers from the time and if I recall correctly, early reports did mention his name as a witness.

I think I might go over there and look it up.

OilPainter
09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi OilPainter,

I wrote to the website again and asked about the wallet and some other things. I was just going to summarize but I thought it was an interesting read. I'm forwarding it along pretty much as it came.

"We thought the wallet was interesting at first because we figured, if Mike were trying to intentionally disappear, one of the things he would do would be to completely get rid of his identify. So it would be logical that he would leave his wallet, his car, his bank account, all of it behind.

Mike lived with a large, very religious family. He was the sole member of the family who both rejected, and was a bit embarrassed by, some of the religious rituals the others practiced. Mike was also part of a blended family, and was quite a bit different from his step-siblings. He was generally an outsider in his own family.

He was close to his father. He was the "golden boy" of the family, and so they were a little jealous of him because people really liked Mike, he was smart, and everything seemed to go really well for him. It sounds funny, but it really is a good analogy: Mike's story really is very much like Cinderella.

At work, Mike had a boss who not only jumped on him for every little thing at every turn, he took great pride in humiliating Mike in front of customers and other employees. Mike was smart, charismatic, witty, kind, attractive, and really good at anything he set out to do. That included academics, drumming in the marching band, his job, you name it. His boss was the polar opposite of Mike, and he was nearly twice Mike's age. Mike never raised his voice or lost his temper, and his boss resented Mike for everything that he was. Mike always handled it well until that last day.

He wasn't going to go back to work at all after the last humiliation his boss subjected him to. His dad advised him that he should go back to work for his last remaining two weeks, since he enjoyed his job and was good at it, and not let his boss unfairly run him out of it.

His dad has never forgiven himself for that. He thinks, had he not given Mike that advice and just let him quit like he wanted to, Mike would still be here. The unfortunate thing about that is it's actually good advice for a father to give his teenage son. But on this particular day, Mike went missing.

We thought that Mike had just enough and took off. That's why the wallet was significant. But then we were able to verify that Mike had reserved and paid for a dorm room at the University he was attending, and had bought the supplies he needed for his freshman year.

We also found out, after a lot of investigating, that it wouldn't have mattered if Mike had returned to the store that day or not. Mike tended to attract people into his orbit that could be very jealous and possessive of him. Mike, for all of his book smarts, didn't seem to recognize this as fast as he could have. The men that targeted Mike had a specific need for him, and so they chose him as their victim. For what they wanted of him, they would have gotten Mike whether he had returned to that store that day or not."

I plan on writing back because now my curiosity about Michael being "chosen" is peaked. Kline, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread. If you'd like me to move Michael to his own thread just let me know. :)

gaia227, thanks for posting the Dyatlov Pass Incident. I hadn't read about that one before. But I'm adding it to my list of cases now. I've been scouring the internet reading up on it ever since you posted about it. It's a fascinating read.

Thanks flyboy, you clearly answered my question. However, now I'm with you on the whole "chosen" thing. Chosen for what? My mind is running the whole arena...

I'm thinking everything from satanic worshipping to prostitution to something as simple as rabid jealousy over the popularity Michael had with others.

Somebody has to know something and it sounds like that from the website. Maybe this whole thing is a lot deeper than I think.

tuppence
09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't but I think the historical society has the newspapers from the time and if I recall correctly, early reports did mention his name as a witness.

I think I might go over there and look it up.

would be very interesting to see if he has ended up connected to any cases.

birdie74
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
This is a solved case, but the murder of 8-yr-old Maddie Clifton in 1998 still haunts me. She had gone missing early one week, and that Saturday AM I was watching the news, and they were asking for volunteers to go help search for her. I had never done anything like that before, but since I didn't have any plans, I went down to help.

We were divided into groups of 10 or so people to search different areas. I was in a group with 14-yr-old Josh Phillips and his parents. I watched him look around like everyone else and didn't think much about it. At the time, another neighbor down the street was considered a person of interest, but Josh's dad told a few of us why he thought that man couldn't have done it because of the time frame of when he saw that man outside when he himself got home from work. He went through a whole timeline of that evening for us.

The next Tuesday AM, they found Maddie's body inside Josh's water bed. I got sick to my stomach when I heard, and I still get chills when I think about it. It was such a tragedy.

tuppence
09-16-2008, 10:39 PM
This is a solved case, but the murder of 8-yr-old Maddie Clifton in 1998 still haunts me. She had gone missing early one week, and that Saturday AM I was watching the news, and they were asking for volunteers to go help search for her. I had never done anything like that before, but since I didn't have any plans, I went down to help.

We were divided into groups of 10 or so people to search different areas. I was in a group with 14-yr-old Josh Phillips and his parents. I watched him look around like everyone else and didn't think much about it. At the time, another neighbor down the street was considered a person of interest, but Josh's dad told a few of us why he thought that man couldn't have done it because of the time frame of when he saw that man outside when he himself got home from work. He went through a whole timeline of that evening for us.

The next Tuesday AM, they found Maddie's body inside Josh's water bed. I got sick to my stomach when I heard, and I still get chills when I think about it. It was such a tragedy.

OMG. Never heard of the case but it's wild that you ended up in the search team with the person eventually found to be the murderer.

Trino
09-17-2008, 02:56 AM
The abduction of Jacob Wetterling (1989) is really what started a focus on missing children. Somehow, maybe because so much time has elapsed, Jacob's disappearance has been shelved to a back burner, and there has been no positive information that might lead to solving the abduction. October 22 will be the 19th anniversary of his disappearance. Say a prayer for his family.

Ms Suzanne
09-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Hi
I agree with you the murder of 8-yr-old Maddie Clifton in 1998 still haunts me too.I watched this unfold on the TV and newspaper where I lived.The family and friends praying she would come home and searching for her.It was very sad and up to today her murder still bothers me too.It's something I will never forget.It really made me pray and think about who are my kids friends and who are they playing with.

suzanne

MaryLiz
09-17-2008, 07:53 AM

birdie, I saw a show about Maddie on either Cold Case Files or Forensic Files, one of those. How chilling that he was in your group searching. I remember watching the show and thinking how awful the whole thing was and how bad I felt for the people in Joshua's group, really for all the searchers, and how it turned up the murderer was right among them! Gives me the chills now thinking of it.

birdie74
09-17-2008, 01:07 PM
I heard Josh and his dad discussing a camping or fishing trip that they were planning, and they just seemed so normal. Josh seemed pretty quiet and unenthused during the search, but that's typical of a lot of teens. His dad died a year or two later in a car crash when coming back from visiting Josh in prison if I remember correctly.

gaia227
09-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I wanted to add Lindy Biechler to the list. Her murder and events leading up to it are just so creepy to me. Lindy had started to become paranoid that someone was watching her. Then it grew into Lindy being convinced that not only was this person watching her they were also following her. She claimed that one night she saw someone peering at her through the glass sliding doors in her living room. She became terrified to be alone so her family would come stay with her until her husband got home or she would stay with family. On the last day of her life had ran some errands and got home at 7:15pm. Her relatives showed up at 8:40 and found Lindy stabbed to death with the knife still sticking out of her neck.

A year after her murder he tombstone was vandalized and a letter arrived at the police station.

The crime is described by investigators as being disorganized and that the killer may not have ever killed before. That being said, lets hope that he left DNA at the scene.

Link with all this information. Lindy's case is the one on the right. Part III contains the text of the letter sent to authorites.
http://lindyandchristy.com/articles.html

shadowangel
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
<snipped> I wanted to add Lindy Biechler to the list. A year after her murder her tombstone was vandalized and a letter arrived at the police station.

Link with all this information. Lindy's case is the one on the right. Part III contains the text of the letter sent to authorites.
http://lindyandchristy.com/articles.html

Just an observation...The text of the letter is oddly reminiscent of some of the Zodiac's letters, especially those from late '69 (the bus-bomb letter, the Melvin Belli letter-the use of "loosing" instead of "losing"- and the name/cryptogram letter).
I wonder if the writer was simply a "fan" who saw an opportunity for a little "fame".

gaia227
09-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Certainly a possibility - they weren't that far apart. I am not sure what I think about it. I definetly concede it could very well be a hoax. I think LE gave it some credence because it mentioned the vandalism of the grave which apparently was not well known as it had just happened and it gave the detail about the nicks in the stone matching the number of stab wounds Lindy suffered. Most likely it was either it was the killer who wrote the letter and vandalized the grave or it was the hoaxers (is that a word?) who did both. It does make sense to me that if it was the alleged stalker who killed her that he would continue to be obsessed with her in death and derived enjoyment from desecrating her grave and taunting police.

Investigators and handwritting analyst seem to believe that the author was left-handed, possibly a female or homosexual given the way sentences were constructed, words that were used were feminine- men don't usually use the word beautiful to describe themselves. That was their reasoning anyway.

Shadowangel - do you know if there is a thread on Lindy's murder? I did a seach and didn't find it but I don't seem to have much luck with that.

shadowangel
09-17-2008, 05:32 PM
There don't appear to be any threads dedicated to Lindy, only references to her case on the Betty Aardsma thread.

Hope4Lost
09-18-2008, 03:01 AM
The unsolved murder of Gene Tate, Columbus, MS. "In the Cold Light of Day" was a book written about the case.

kline
09-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Just an observation...The text of the letter is oddly reminiscent of some of the Zodiac's letters, especially those from late '69 (the bus-bomb letter, the Melvin Belli letter-the use of "loosing" instead of "losing"- and the name/cryptogram letter).
I wonder if the writer was simply a "fan" who saw an opportunity for a little "fame".
I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the text of the letter then I scrolled down and saw your post!:)

gaia227
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I started a thread about Lindy since there was not one in the Cold Case forum.

I also wanted to add Amy Bradley to the list. I would love to know what really happened to her on that cruise ship. I have never thought the alleged photos of her that surfaced at the brothel really looked like her. The incident where a woman walked up to the Marine and said her name was Amy Bradley and she needed his help is pretty interesting. Why he didn't do anything is something I will never understand.

Boomgirl72
09-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Ramona Price---Santa Barbara---missing 1961
Todd Collett----Santa Barbara---missing 1964

gaia227
09-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I can't believe I forgot to add her - she has been one 'my' pet cases for a long time

Mary Shotwell Little - missing from Atlanta since 1966

This is a really good article about her disappearence. Alot of the article is told by the investigator who worked her case for years - the only case he never solved. The events leading up to and after she went missing are pretty intriguing.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1102670/posts

anthrobones
09-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Mostly the really old ones, because I know there's basically no chance of them ever being solved, since no one who was around when the person died or went missing is alive anymore....

Sad, very sad, that they'll never be truly closed.

kline
09-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Mary Shotwell Little is another facinating one.
I too am a sucker for the really Old cases...
There is something about the mystery with a period setting whether its 1969 or 1929 that is irresistable to my imagination.

Marple
09-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Morgan Chauntel Nick, missing since June 9, 1995. Abducted by a stranger in Alma AR. Very, very sad. I can't believe it's been 13 years.

BostonSu
09-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Ramona Price---Santa Barbara---missing 1961
Todd Collett----Santa Barbara---missing 1964

These two really haunt me. I live just up the hill from where Todd vanished, and shop at the market that was being built.

Ramona disappeared about 2 miles away, and I pass the stretch of road along where she was walking. I find myself looking off to the side, wondering if she's there somewhere.

These cases where people (especially chldren) just walk off the face of the earth just stay with me.

gaia227
09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Mostly the really old ones, because I know there's basically no chance of them ever being solved, since no one who was around when the person died or went missing is alive anymore....

Sad, very sad, that they'll never be truly closed.

I agree with you and Kline. I am most interested in the old cases ranging from the turn of the century to about 1970. I think it is the idea they will never be solved, their bones are somewhere out there on this earth laying hidden for all these years, the people who knew what happened to them are gone, their family is gone, the investigators are gone. It gives one a strong sense of nostalgia mixed with bitter sadness for the victim.

shadowangel
09-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Another interesting aspect of the "old" cases, especially before 1950, is tha ability we have now to check the "facts" as they've been passed along for decades.
A case in point is the disappearance of Andrew Carnegie Whitfield. Most reports out there state that he placed a call to his family after his plane was known to have taken off. As I discovered from reading in news archives, this simply appears to be an incorrect report by one of the smaller new services...But now it is part of the legend of ACW's disappearance. And, contrary to what has been reported, there is a viable alternative to the "flew off into the unknown" legends.

For those of us with a fascination for history, this allows us a window into the lives and happenings from many, many years ago.

gaia227
09-22-2008, 01:13 PM
would also like to add......again

The Oklahoma Locust Grove Girl Scout Murders - 3 girl scouts raped and bludgeoned to death on a camping trip with 100 other girl scouts and their leaders. Leaders repeatedly ignored the terrified scouts reporting they kept seeing a man lurking around their tents and grabbing them when they went to the restroom. There was a scream at 2:00am that morning but no one bothered to get up and investigate.

Unfortunately the website dedicated to their case has been shut down by the admin. Here are a couple other links. The third one is linked to the discussion thread on A&E's Cold Case section. It is interesting because one of the posters and several of his family members post there and seem rather convinced that it is one of their family members who committed this crime.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/girlscoutmurders/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Girl_Scout_Murders

http://boards.aetv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=100001959

MSinIndy
09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Henryville Indiana cold cases, 3 boys murdered in same small town within a couple miles of one another. Located adjacent to I-65 and Hwy 31 in Clark County (extreme southern indiana, just north of louisville kentucky).

All happend in the 1970's:

Boy age 8, found April 1974 in a barn loft. Hands tied, sexually assaulted, strangled to death and covered up with rags.

Boy age 15 or 16, found June 1977 in Clark State Forest in an area called Flat Rock off of Hwy 160. TRUE FACTS OF CONDITION OF THE BODY HAVE NOT BEEN CONFIRMED BUT FOLLOWING IS RUMORED; hands tied together over head with barbed wire and tied to a tree, sugical style incisions on body, dragged through woods, molested, beaten with skull fracture and strangled to death.

Boy age 19 found Oct 1977, reported missing Sept 27 1977. Located in woods near Clark State Forest not far from his home. Hands were bound, beaten and platform shoes missing.

If you can think of any killers who would have been passing through this area during those years please post info. Thanks.

Bargle
09-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Some that stick with me.
The Indiana Dunes girls.
Evelyn Hartley
Zodiac
Valerie Percy
The Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run
A local case, the murder of Michelle Denise Anderson. Originally thought to be a runaway, her remains were found in 1989 in a wooded area. I remember seeing missing posters of her everywhere in my neighborhood before she found.

MaryLiz
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Some that stick with me.
The Indiana Dunes girls.
Evelyn Hartley
Zodiac
Valerie Percy
The Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run
A local case, the murder of Michelle Denise Anderson. Originally thought to be a runaway, her remains were found in 1989 in a wooded area. I remember seeing missing posters of her everywhere in my neighborhood before she found.

I forgot about the Valerie Percy case. That's another one I think of from time to time. I was only 13 when she was murdered but I vividly remember reading about it in the papers back then. It seems unbelievable to me that this case was never solved, as high profile as it was.

Here's a link to the Crime Library story on her. She has a thread on here, titled Senator's Daughter but there hasn't been a posting on it for 3 years.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/valerie_percy/index.html

athy
09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
one of the cases that has haunted me since i was a teenager was the charles lindbergh baby kidnapping. both my mom and grandmom lived in jersey during the time of the kidnapping. i was raised there. i know that bruno hauptmann was found guilty and executed for it but i've also done a lot of checking into it. one of the reasons i was doing so was as a teen i remember my grandmom and mom saying, hauptmann didn't do it. they told me about rumour going around that the baby was born with something wrong with him. in those times, people with that kind of money couldn't have an imperfect child and keep their status (apparently how some felt, not all). i remember my grandmom saying that the rumour was the grandmom might have hired someone to kidnap the baby and was going to have it raised "hidden" so no one would know about the "imperfection". of course, there is no way of knowing if this was true but it was odd that my grandmom brought it up as...that just wasn't her style. people didn't talk about those kind of stories. but as i got older i always was curious about the case. it seemed there were some discrepencies to me and apparently to others also.

Blackwatch
10-01-2008, 06:16 AM
The case that haunts me the most, and there are many, is the murder of Susan Reinert and the disappearance of her two children:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reinert_karen.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reinert_michael.html

Waumbaugh wrote a book on this murder, Echoes In The Darkness, which was made into a tv movie. There is another book on this topic, Principal Suspect, written from a different slant, that of the school principal who was first convicted, then acquited of the murder due to some police or prosecution dishonesty.

When I was working, I talked to a man who had been taught by some of the main characters in these books.

I'm so fascinated by the murder, and the children's disappearance, that I plan to start a group of some sort to investigate further. My problem with this is time, and safety - God knows murder attracts some strange people and I'm not sure how to weed them out, LOL, although some could say the same for me.

Blackwatch
10-01-2008, 06:29 AM
would also like to add......again

The Oklahoma Locust Grove Girl Scout Murders - 3 girl scouts raped and bludgeoned to death on a camping trip with 100 other girl scouts and their leaders. Leaders repeatedly ignored the terrified scouts reporting they kept seeing a man lurking around their tents and grabbing them when they went to the restroom. There was a scream at 2:00am that morning but no one bothered to get up and investigate.

Unfortunately the website dedicated to their case has been shut down by the admin. Here are a couple other links. The third one is linked to the discussion thread on A&E's Cold Case section. It is interesting because one of the posters and several of his family members post there and seem rather convinced that it is one of their family members who committed this crime.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/girlscoutmurders/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Girl_Scout_Murders

http://boards.aetv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=100001959

This case is another of the ones that haunt my dreams. The book about this case is, Someone Cry For The Children, written from the investigator's point of view. Just recently, due to DNA testing, the man put on trial for, and acquitted of these murder, Gene Leroy Hart, was found NOT to have been the rapist.

It is a shame about that board going under, I used to read it faithfully. It did sound like the "relative" may have known a bit more than anyone let on - I mean he lived right there and was accused of "stuff" by his young female relatives.:eek:

shadowangel
10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
The case that haunts me the most, and there are many, is the murder of Susan Reinert and the disappearance of her two children:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reinert_karen.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reinert_michael.html

Waumbaugh wrote a book on this murder, Echoes In The Darkness, which was made into a tv movie. There is another book on this topic, Principal Suspect, written from a different slant, that of the school principal who was first convicted, then acquited of the murder due to some police or prosecution dishonesty.

When I was working, I talked to a man who had been taught by some of the main characters in these books.

I'm so fascinated by the murder, and the children's disappearance, that I plan to start a group of some sort to investigate further. My problem with this is time, and safety - God knows murder attracts some strange people and I'm not sure how to weed them out, LOL, although some could say the same for me.

Discussion of the Reinert case:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34302&highlight=reinert

This case hits me on both points...Both haunting and fascinating. The picture of the "standing stone" especially stays with me, and I still find myself looking around and wondering when I'm out on trails in western PA.

Blackwatch
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Discussion of the Reinert case:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34302&highlight=reinert

This case hits me on both points...Both haunting and fascinating. The picture of the "standing stone" especially stays with me, and I still find myself looking around and wondering when I'm out on trails in western PA.

I believe the case happened in eastern PA, around Valley Forge, Upper Merian(sp), Allentown area, very close to me - that's why I wanted to get a group together and go to all these places.

The marker is interesting, but as someone pointed out to me, those children could be anywhere from PA to New Mexico, since one of his lady loves drove his car there and could have dumped the bodies. However, I believe that marker is in PA - somewhere.

shadowangel
10-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Bradfield's statement to his prison buddy that he only meant to kill Susan but that he had to kill the kids because he could "leave no stone unturned" takes on a chilling new meaning when thinking of that stone marker.

skygirl
10-04-2008, 04:30 AM
For me it would have to be ADAM WALSH. I was just a pre-teen at the time it all happened. We lived on the west coast side FL. And this was going on around Ft. Lauderdale area. It scared me to death at that age. And then when they eventually only found his head. That did it! I think of it quite a bit. Do they really think that "ottis T" guy did it, or not? Everytime I see John Walsh on TV I think of what happened.

kline
10-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Theres another book on the Reinhardt case called'Engaged To Murder' thats pretty good.
I still think Jay Smith was involved in that case.
Adam Walsh and the Girl Scout Murders certainly qualify as Haunting to say the least.

fox1950
10-04-2008, 12:23 PM
For me it would be the missing Sodder children which is number one. After that, I am very interested in the Sharon Marshall and Anna Waters case. Another case, although it doesn't get much attention on Websleuths, is the Margie Dodd case, from Beckley, WV. A lady that was abducted in 1977 while returning home from the bank she worked.

Blackwatch
10-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Theres another book on the Reinhardt case called'Engaged To Murder' thats pretty good.
I still think Jay Smith was involved in that case.
Adam Walsh and the Girl Scout Murders certainly qualify as Haunting to say the least.

Yes, thank you for reminding me of that book. Seems I haven't read it in years, if at all, because I don't remember much about it and I have it right on my book shelf. Will have to read it again.

Blackwatch
10-05-2008, 06:56 AM
There are so many cases, old and new, and so many people missing that it messes with my mind. I'm doing a systematic, case by case, read through of all the missing on the Charley Project, in the hope of matching some, but there are so many. I spent hours and hours a day on this.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm working on these cases, mostly at night, I get strange feelings, fear maybe, and have to close all the windows and bar the doors. Anyone else feel that way?

georgiagirl
10-05-2008, 08:30 AM
There are so many cases, old and new, and so many people missing that it messes with my mind. I'm doing a systematic, case by case, read through of all the missing on the Charley Project, in the hope of matching some, but there are so many. I spent hours and hours a day on this.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm working on these cases, mostly at night, I get strange feelings, fear maybe, and have to close all the windows and bar the doors. Anyone else feel that way?

Yes, when I first started getting interested in the Missing Person's cases when I would read through the Doe Network and Charley Project I felt very paranoid for myself and my children I was so immersed in reading about them. I actually had to take a break and limit the amount of time on there and even reading on WS. It affected me so much psychologically.

Kristin83
10-05-2008, 01:32 PM
1. Amy Bradley - talk about creepy. Probably the one I've done the most reading on.
2. Jason Jolkowski - how could one just disapper in a residential neighborhood, in broad daylight? His mother, Kelly, is amazing.
3. The Fort Worth Trio
4. Angie Hammond
5. Tara Calico
6. Beverly Potts
7. The Smokey Mountain disappearances

I'm sure there's many more.....

gaia227
10-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Oh yeah. I get paranoid, jumpy, creeped out, have trouble sleeping, have nightmares, etc, etc. I am mostly online during the day while at work and I try to stay off at night because I will get really paranoid or at least I will get on after my fiance gets home from work. Somehow having him there makes everything way less creepy. I feel safe.

I also try to go through the Charley Project systematically state by state and write down ones I find particulary interesting. I have pages and pages of names. It is just an infinite number of names, of lives, of people who were once living, walking, going to work just like you and I.

miss u daddy
10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Jared Negrete. I am not sure if there is a post on him here as I cannot figure out how to search. Here is his page on Charley Project
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/negrete_jared.html
He was an 11 year old boy scout hiking when he became tired so he stayed behind with water and was to wait for the troop to come back down. He was not there. All that was ever found of him was a camera with landscape shots a final self portrait shot that will haunt me forever. He looked so scared. This happened July 19, 1991. His case remains unsolved. I guess it hits me hard because my son is in the Cub Scouts and I am so close to the San Bernardino Mountains.

shadowangel
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
<snipped> Jared Negrete. I am not sure if there is a post on him here as I cannot figure out how to search.

Not that I'm a pro at it...There is a tool bar at the top of the page (User CP, FAQ, Members List.....Search...Log Out) Click on "Search", then if you are looking for a thread on someone click "Show Threads". Keep in mind, if you are searching on a popular subject, there may be pages of related threads. If you are looking for a particular post, for example to double-check a certain piece of info, then click "Show Posts". There is also an "Advanced Search" if you have more specific info to outline your search.

forthelost
10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I guess you can consider all the cases I've taken on for my site as cases that haunt me.

http://www.forthelost.org/acantrell.html

http://www.forthelost.org/acayedito.html

http://www.forthelost.org/wguidroz.html

http://www.forthelost.org/leslie.html

http://www.forthelost.org/jli.html

http://www.forthelost.org/marshallmatorywilliams.html

http://www.forthelost.org/mmasaoay.html

http://www.forthelost.org/tnarbonne.html

http://www.forthelost.org/uden.html

http://www.forthelost.org/awestberry.html

http://www.forthelost.org/westerfield.html

Mr. E
10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
miss u daddy, the story of Jared Negrete is a sad one. Is the assumption that he met with his end through natural means while lost in the woods? Or is foul play suspected? People say he looked terrified in his "self-portrait." Is there a copy of it somewhere.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there any relation between Jared and Michael Negrete, who disappeared from California in 1999?

I'd love to see a copy of that picture of Jared if you've got one.

77NancyDrew
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
There are tons of cases that haunt me. At this moment my main focus is to find out who "Sam" is. Sam(I am not even going to add the rest of the nickname the police gave him, because I think it is highly disrespectful to him)
was for in Tofield Alberta, on April 1st ,1977 http://doenetwork.org/cases/1046umab.html
Here is a pic of Sam computer generated Image that I colorized.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/77NancyDrew/sam-1.png
Hopefully someday his case will be solved , along with all the other missing people , and unidentified people are the world.
One can only hope :)

badhorsie
10-07-2008, 01:10 PM

I feel exactly the same. And my safety awareness has shot through the roof:eek:

gaia227
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Not that I'm a pro at it...There is a tool bar at the top of the page (User CP, FAQ, Members List.....Search...Log Out) Click on "Search", then if you are looking for a thread on someone click "Show Threads". Keep in mind, if you are searching on a popular subject, there may be pages of related threads. If you are looking for a particular post, for example to double-check a certain piece of info, then click "Show Posts". There is also an "Advanced Search" if you have more specific info to outline your search.

This has nothing to do with your comment but I have been meaning to tell you I like your signature. The first lines from The Raven - One of my favorite poems. I 'performed' it in one of my theater/drama classes one year and I think now I will have it memorized for the rest of my life.

gaia227
10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Jared Negrete. I am not sure if there is a post on him here as I cannot figure out how to search. Here is his page on Charley Project
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/negrete_jared.html
He was an 11 year old boy scout hiking when he became tired so he stayed behind with water and was to wait for the troop to come back down. He was not there. All that was ever found of him was a camera with landscape shots a final self portrait shot that will haunt me forever. He looked so scared. This happened July 19, 1991. His case remains unsolved. I guess it hits me hard because my son is in the Cub Scouts and I am so close to the San Bernardino Mountains.

I have read about Jared's disappearence before and it is very creepy. I have never been able to locate the photo so I have never seen it. I think that since they were able to track his movements like they did that Jared succumbed to the elements in one way or another.

I am appalled that a cub scout leader would leave a 13yr old boy behind. Jared probably lost sight of them, panicked and started running trying to find them, became disoriented and went the wrong direction.

miss u daddy
10-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks so much. I did try it and found a link to a post for Jared, but no real discussion thread. I was trying to search for another name a couple weeks ago for an update, but I couldn't find it. I know I read about it on here at some point. The name escapes me for some reason, but once I find it again I'll try or ask for help!
Thanks!

miss u daddy
10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
miss u daddy, the story of Jared Negrete is a sad one. Is the assumption that he met with his end through natural means while lost in the woods? Or is foul play suspected? People say he looked terrified in his "self-portrait." Is there a copy of it somewhere.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there any relation between Jared and Michael Negrete, who disappeared from California in 1999?

I'd love to see a copy of that picture of Jared if you've got one.

I tried searching for that picture, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I remember the picture of his eyes and nose and the mountains behind it. It was taken with a disposable camera at night after he'd been lost from his troop. I will never forget it. I will continue to seach for it and let you know if I can locate it again.

Hope4Lost
10-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Articles about the search for Jared Negrete
http://www.micro-mono.com/docs/boyscout.pdf

Kristin83
10-08-2008, 10:15 AM

That was really good reading.

It's really hard for me to comprehend how he just vanished.......how were they not able to find him after days and days of searching and all the miles they covered? Then again, this is coming from a Jersey girly-girl who has never been in the thick wilderness before.....

gaia227
10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I tried searching for that picture, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I remember the picture of his eyes and nose and the mountains behind it. It was taken with a disposable camera at night after he'd been lost from his troop. I will never forget it. I will continue to seach for it and let you know if I can locate it again.

I searched for it too yesterday with no luck. I think the LA Times ran the pic along with one of their articles about his disappearence but whenever I do a search on their website I don't get any hits.

I wonder why he took that pic of himself. Did he take it and leave the camera behind on purpose in hopes that someone would find it and see that it was him?

gaia227
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
That was really good reading.

It's really hard for me to comprehend how he just vanished.......how were they not able to find him after days and days of searching and all the miles they covered? Then again, this is coming from a Jersey girly-girl who has never been in the thick wilderness before.....

It is hard to comprehend when that many people are looking for someone and finding clues of his route especially so soon after he disappeared you would think he would have been close enough to hear the searchers. On the other hand, I have done alot of backpacking in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and when you are out in the wilderness like that you really get perspective on how vast it is. To think about a 13 yr old scared boy who is lost out there I can easily see how he hasn't been found. He traveled quite aways and probably in his panicked mind-set was moving quickly and blindly. I think they found the camera close to bluff or hill and speculated he had sat down and went down it that way. He could have easily fallen off a bluff or incline, he could have drown trying to cross a river, he could have been attacked by an animal although I think that is the least-likely scenario. It is so sad. I cannot imagine being 13 and getting lost out in the sierra nevada's alone. I just can't imagine how scared he must have been, especially when night fell.

Rest in Peace, Jared.

Mr. E
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM

On Saturday, narcotics investigators hiked in and found a 100-foot-by-100-foot clearing from which thick vegetation

had been hacked away 6,200 feet up the side of Mt. San Gorgonio. An irrigation system that included at least 500 feet
of half-inch pipe and automatic timers had been installed, investigators said. Whoever planted the field also had
carefully left a canopy of trees that allowed in just the right amount of sunlight for marijuana cultivation, investigators
said.

Do you think Jared stumbled across drug activity and was killed and buried? I just can't figure out why they never found his remains.

Kristin83
10-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you think Jared stumbled across drug activity and was killed and buried? I just can't figure out why they never found his remains.

I thought that too, Mr. E, when I read that part. Very sad and creepy all the way around. :(

miss u daddy
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
It definately is very creepy. I am planning to hike where he was last seen at the end of the month. I've got to see for myself. They used infrared and saw animals, but found no sign of Jared. How can you not find him unless he was buried under a rockslide of something. I just don't get it. THey found the camera and candy wrappers on a incline and thought he slid down on his butt and lost it. This case is nagging at me. He'd be a year older than I am now. 17 years with nothing? I dont get it. Stumbling on the marijuana field is a definate possibility. I emailed a couple of newspapers to see how I can go about getting that picture. It was published in the papers just a few years ago too when they did an expose on him or various boy scouts missing. I will keep you updated.

gawdess
10-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Cathy Moulton - Maine

grievousangel
10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
I know it seems unbelievable that Jared's body wasn't found but it took a year before they found Chandra Levy's remains and they were in a park in Washington DC. The San Bernardino Mts. is a much more rugged and extensive area. I was out visiting in Los Angeles when this happened...it was a highly publicized case.

gaia227
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Kenneth Warren Hager- vanished in 1947 at age 11. Kenneth had epilepsy, never attended school and was very dependent on his mother. He had been known to wander off and once when he was found he had cigarrette burns all over his arm.

He has never been seen or heard from again. I believe this may be the oldest case in NCIC.

http://hometown.aol.com/kicbxnchick/

forthelost
10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Kenneth Warren Hager- vanished in 1947 at age 11. Kenneth had epilepsy, never attended school and was very dependent on his mother. He had been known to wander off and once when he was found he had cigarrette burns all over his arm.

He has never been seen or heard from again. I believe this may be the oldest case in NCIC.

http://hometown.aol.com/kicbxnchick/

I am pretty sure he is. I haven't come across an older one.

All accounts I've read say he couldn't speak, so I am curious to know how he told his mother about the "bad boy" who had burned him. I assume he knew signs or could write to some degree, but I've never seen anything that says how.

x117236
10-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Sharin' Morningstar Keenan has always haunted me. I was just a young child but I'll never forget it on the local news and in the papers.

birdie74
10-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi
I agree with you the murder of 8-yr-old Maddie Clifton in 1998 still haunts me too.I watched this unfold on the TV and newspaper where I lived.The family and friends praying she would come home and searching for her.It was very sad and up to today her murder still bothers me too.It's something I will never forget.It really made me pray and think about who are my kids friends and who are they playing with.

suzanne

For those still interested in the Maddie Clifton case, channel 4 (WJXT) here in Jacksonville will be doing a story about it next Thursday (Oct. 30th). It will be looking back at it 10 years later, and is supposed to include new info. For those of you not in Jacksonville, I believe the report would be available online later at news4jax.com.

birdie74
10-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I just realizes that it's not just a news report, but an entire special program about the case starting at 8pm EST.

spector
10-24-2008, 12:40 AM
The Jill Behrman case. She disappeared on a bike ride, and was found dead in the woods three years later. They obtained a confession that was very well corroborated. They drained a creek looking for her and didn't find her until the next year, twenty miles away. The people named in the original confession told no less than 22 people around town they did it. They ended up convicting a local petty thief. I know in my heart, and most people in this town know as well, that this man did not do it. We all know who did it. I don't normally buy into conspiracies, but I can't think of much that I wouldn't do to see this wrong righted.

Shecky
10-24-2008, 04:31 AM
The abduction of Michaela Joy Garecht in 1988. I was four years old when this happened, and living in the Bay Area. I think it was the first time I ever really heard about child abduction, and it has always had an impact on me.

The disappearance of Amy Billig.

Tara Calico and the photographs.

The Oklahoma girl scout murders in 1977, how utterly horrifying.

The disappearance of Maura Murray.

The Lady in the Dunes, unidentified homicide victim.

Grateful Dead Fan/Jason Doe, unidentified victim killed in a car accident in June of 1995.

The disappearance of Asha Degree in 2000. The way she was supposedly spotted walking along the highway in the middle of the night is so very eerie.

The abduction of Jacob Wetterling.

The Boy in the Box, unidentified victim found in 1957.

The missing trio from Forth Worth, Texas. What in the world happened to them?

Sharon Marshal/Franklin Floyd case. So many twists and turns, it is hard to believe it isn't a work of fiction.

The disappearance of the Lyon sisters.

The disappearance of Jackie Theel.

The disappearance of Beverly Potts.

There are more, I am sure. But those are the ones that come to mind right now.

kitbits
10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
definitely the murder of my friend, whom I posted about on here (Linda Hutchings) & since I've been reading other threads here, I'd have to say the 2 that are really getting to me are the UID couple in SC 1976 and the Grateful Dead Jason Doe. there are others, for sure...*sigh*

kline
10-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Yeah that South Carolina UID 1976 case is something else.
Ive almost purposely stayed away from that one except to very periodicaly check for updates.
I could tell right away that would be an easy one to get obsessive about. At least for me.

kline
10-25-2008, 05:21 AM
I know it seems unbelievable that Jared's body wasn't found but it took a year before they found Chandra Levy's remains and they were in a park in Washington DC. The San Bernardino Mts. is a much more rugged and extensive area. I was out visiting in Los Angeles when this happened...it was a highly publicized case.
Your Webname is awesome.
I love Gram Parsons.:)

kitbits
10-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah that South Carolina UID 1976 case is something else.
Ive almost purposely stayed away from that one except to very periodicaly check for updates.
I could tell right away that would be an easy one to get obsessive about. At least for me.

totally! i started checking out some of the french missing persons listings that were posted...my french is rusty, but i can understand a bit--no pics, though :/

off topic, gram parsons = FAB! happy to chat more about him elsewhere :)

Piglitsmum
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Grateful Doe,
Christopher Robin Coan
Lark Montague
Andrew Gosden (UK)
Madeleine McCann
John Spira
Luke Kemmerle

Julian(na) Carrozza, now located! xxx you all... Hoping for truth!

Be Adequite!
01-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Shecky- all the ones you listed are the exact same ones that haunt me too...along with a few local PNW stories (specifically the location of Bundy's victims)...hopefully we'll have answers to some or even all someday

skyatnight
01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I just joined this forum last week. It's really shocking to find out how many people go missing every year. Here are my choices.

1. Springfield three
2. Lyon sisters
3. Maura Murrey
4. Anna Waters

passionflower
01-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Cherrie Ann Mahan - Missing from Butler, Pennsylvania

She was only 8 years old. It was always upsetting to the community.
Lots of gossip. I was in the salon industry and her grandma seemed to be
the only family member that grieved for her so bad. My own children were
that age and this hit home in our rural area.

yellowlab
01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Danielle Van Dam
Martha Moxley
Caylee Anthony

LunaticFringe
01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Sabrina Aisenberg
Amy Billig
Keith Call & Cassandra Hailey's disappearance.
JonBenet Ramsey
The true identity of Sharon Marshall.

pittsburghgirl
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
The cases that haunt me most are local ones. Mary Ann Verdecchia, who was almost 10 years old when she disappeared in 1962. She went into the Martinique Apartments and was never seen again. The story was huge for the time, all over the 3 local broadcast TV stations newscasts, in the papers and on local radio. We've got that big 50,000 watt clear channel KDKA and you could get that clear down in Alabama at night. I was the same age as Mary Ann; it was a big shock that a kid could just disappear. It wasn't until I was older that I learned that an adult, Marcella Krulce, disappeared from the same building in 1959. Now either that building was in the Twilight Zone or a very weird serial killer/killers lived there. Or so it would seem.

Cherrie Mahan, who got off the school bus at the end of her own lane and was never seen again. Carol Jursik, a serious athlete murdered on her way home from a long run. She had stopped late at night to buy groceries and never made it home. A huge search began when she was reported missing. It took a few days for a neighbor to find the sack of groceries, which was in a neighboring driveway and hadn't even spilled. A tip directed police to a local park, where her body was found. The case was never officially solved, although there was speculation that she could have been the victim of a serial killer who was discovered years later when he tried to rape the wife of a state policeman. He may have preyed on women for years.

Brian Shaffer, Maura Murray, and the Springfield missing women would make the rest of my list.

tatertot
01-19-2009, 11:44 PM
The Buckskin Girl, found in Ohio in 1981. It amazes me that nobody has remembered seeing a freckled young redhead with braided pigtails wearing a fringed suede jacket and bellbottoms. :confused:

Karen Adams, missing from Independence Twp., PA since March 2007. I remember her smiling at my kids as she checked out our purchases at Big Lots.

"Follow Your Dreams" John Doe:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/218umny.html

Grateful Dead Fan
The Fort Worth Three

All the above I'd like to see found or identified for their safety and their family's peace of mind. For entirely nerdy reasons, the one I'd love to see solved within my lifetime? D.B. Cooper. I'm fascinated by the guy and his folk hero status. The one thing that gets me is that he seemed to have a strong regard for human life even though he stole $200K from the airline, as he specifically asked the last flight attendant in the plane with him to get in the cockpit before he opened the stairs and jumped. That little detail tells me he didn't want anyone getting killed during his hijacking. I'm actually far more interested in who he really was than what, if anything, he did after the heist.

LunaticFringe
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
I would also like to know what really happened to Etan Patz.

I remember seeing the movie with Kate Nelligan and Judd Hirsch called Without a Trace.That movie had a happy ending.I wish Etan would have had a happy ending as well.:shakehead:

pittsburghgirl
01-21-2009, 12:24 AM
The Etan Patz case shares some similarities with the Adam Walsh murder, in that there are many who feel they know who committed the crime but not enough evidence to bring a case to court. The suspect in the Patz disappearance, however, has been to civil court. Here is a passage from a cbs. com story, 2004:

As for Etan's case, the Manhattan D.A.'s office still calls it an "ongoing investigation." But after 25 years, the D.A. has yet to press criminal charges. So three years ago, Stan Patz took the painful step of having Etan declared legally dead. He then filed a lawsuit against Jose Ramos for the wrongful death of his son.

In April, a civil judge found in Stan Patz's favor.

Recently, 60 Minutes II sat down again with Stan Patz and his legal team: former prosecutor Stuart Grabois and the attorney who handled the civil case, Brian O'Dwyer.

Vicki Mabrey: "What is the real effect of the civil case?"

Brian O'Dwyer: "Well, there are three effects. One is the -- assignment of responsibility, that a court of law has told the world that Jose Antonio Ramos is responsible for the death of Etan Patz. Two, we're seeking a monetary judgment. And three, we have asked that the judge refer this to the sex offenders crime unit, to see that we can make sure that he never is in a room again alone with a young child."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/01/60II/main620577.shtml

The movie Without a Trace was based on Still Missing, a book by Beth Gutcheon (one of my favorite writers). It is still in print and well worth reading.

LunaticFringe
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you for that link.I am going to read it right now.

Drivenon
01-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I started a thread with this title about four years ago so I know what you mean about how certain cases haunt us.

Evelyn Hartley-1953
Beverly Potts-1951
Connie Smith-1952
Sheila and Katherine Lyon-1975
Janice Pockett-1973
Trenny Lynn Gibson-1976
Daniel Barter-1959
Alan and Terry Westerfield-1964
Karen Tompkins-1961
Ann Marie Burr-1961
Anna Waters-1973
Suzanne Lyall-1998
The three women missing from Indiana Dunes In July 1966-Patricia Blough, Ann Miller and Renee Bruhl
Madeline Babcock-1968
Michelle Pulsifer-1969
Jodi Huisuntruit-1995
Victor John Theel-1944

Edited to add:
Georgia Jean Weckler- 1947
Andy Puglisi (spelling?)-1976
Unsolved murders of Barbara and Patricia Grimes and Judith Mae Anderson-all in Chicago during the 1950's.

As one can see from the dates of these disappearances, the world was never really safe. It drives me nuts when people think that only recently has it been this way. They have no clue about these cold cases. It is good there are people like us who do know about these cases and keep their memory alive!

Bold by me:

http://tinyurl.com/c9jqmw

cinsbythesea
01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Kevin Collins - he disappeared near Golden Gate Park in San Francisco in the late 70s - he was I believe about 10 years old. I've always wondered what happened to him and have never forgotten him.

kline
01-25-2009, 04:38 AM
I was just re-reading this thread,God,there are so many.
I had to pass by the spot where Lonnie Jones body was discovered in 1951 today.
All the trees are wreathed in snow and it looks like a Christmas card.
I wondered if Im the only one that always thinks about him whenever they pass there.

lost indie
01-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Dean Marie Pyle-Peters

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:RScpXa-XZXcJ:www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/peters_dean.html+dean+marie+peters&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=firefox-a

gaia227
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I started a thread with this title about four years ago so I know what you mean about how certain cases haunt us.

Evelyn Hartley-1953
Beverly Potts-1951
Connie Smith-1952
Sheila and Katherine Lyon-1975
Janice Pockett-1973
Trenny Lynn Gibson-1976
Daniel Barter-1959
Alan and Terry Westerfield-1964
Karen Tompkins-1961
Ann Marie Burr-1961
Anna Waters-1973
Suzanne Lyall-1998
The three women missing from Indiana Dunes In July 1966-Patricia Blough, Ann Miller and Renee Bruhl
Madeline Babcock-1968
Michelle Pulsifer-1969
Jodi Huisuntruit-1995
Victor John Theel-1944

Edited to add:
Georgia Jean Weckler- 1947
Andy Puglisi (spelling?)-1976
Unsolved murders of Barbara and Patricia Grimes and Judith Mae Anderson-all in Chicago during the 1950's.

As one can see from the dates of these disappearances, the world was never really safe. It drives me nuts when people think that only recently has it been this way. They have no clue about these cold cases. It is good there are people like us who do know about these cases and keep their memory alive!

Bolded by me. I just wanted to put the link to the website Madeline's sister maintains for her.
http://members.fortunecity.com/maggyw/

passionflower
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Don't know where to put this on Cherie Mahan, missing
http://insidebutlercounty.com/index.php/butler-news/2928-remembering-cherie-mahan

indicajane
08-10-2009, 01:31 AM
I too get nightmares when i spend too much time reading about the missing.
A few years back I had to stop reading doe network. The Missing don't bother me as much as the unidentified bodies. I think its something about the artist renditions that give me nightmares. I can't do it any any longer.
I can read the charley network, but i think that is because the pictures show the missing in happier times.

i can't read about Tara Calico any longer. the duct tape picture is actually what made have to take a break..that and one other story.
I am terrible with names, but it was an elderly grandmother and her grandson that went missing. I remember there was a huge search for them. She was much older (70s or 80s?) and the boy was around 10..that really bothered me for some reason, i can't put my finger on it.

The grateful jason boy bothers me.
There was also a girl grateful dead follower who went missing too..and then her sister thought she saw her sister in a newstory on homeless...she thought she was a woman called the "Crier"

Does anyone else, when they pass very disheveled homeless on the street, wonder if they could be amongst the individuals on Charley project? Hawaii has a huge homeless populatiion..and sometimes when i see someone, i wonder who could be looking for them..

raindrops300
08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Indicajane,
Tara Calico also disturbs me. It is the only case I have ever had a nightmare about. Whenever I open the thread where the photo is displayed on the first thread I have to avert my eyes until I scroll past it.
When I first started coming on WS I could hardly look at morgue photos, etc. Now I'm used to it and can look at most anything. De-sensitization?

I also follow Anna Christian Waters, Sharon Marshall, and Christina Carter threads almost daily.

RJA00
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
the lyons girls that went missing from wheaton md

that case has stuck in my mind over the years
growing up that what we heard
no, you cant go to the mall by yourself look what happend to the lyon girls
no, you cant walk home from school
and on and on

even the grandkids still hear it. my mom has never forgot that case,
I hate to say but everything happens for a reason maybe god wanted them home,
and it might of saved 100 other kids becouse im sure my mother was not the only one that has said that to there kids

we lived about 10 or 15 minutes from wheaton mall

Unknownlady
08-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Carbon County BETH DOE
doe network case file 169ufpa

Unknownlady
08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Case File 169UFPA

What is up with this - no one seems to be missing this women.

The Doe Network:
Case File 169UFPA

Left & Center: Reconstructions of Victim by NCMEC
Right Sketch by PA State Police

Unidentified White Female

Located on December 20, 1976 in White Haven, Carbon County, Pennsylvania.
Estimated Date of Death: Less than 24 hours
Cause of Death: Strangled & shot in the neck
State of Remains: Dismembered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 16-22 years old. Her year of birth was estimated between 1954-1960.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4" - 163 cm; 150 lbs - 68 kg.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes; brown hair. She had no previous fractures.
Distinguishing Marks: She had a small circular mole above her left eye, a mole on her left cheek and a 5.5" scar on her left leg, just above the heel.
Medical Information: She was carrying a full-term White female fetus. It is possible that the moles on her face developed at some time during her pregnancy.
Blood type: O
Dentals: Available.
DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
On December 20, 1976, the dismembered remains of the victim were found in three suitcases along the Lehigh River in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, under a bridge of westbound Interstate Route 80.
She had been strangled, then shot in the neck and then dismembered with a fine, serrated tool. Her killer had removed her nose and ears.
It was determined that she had been dead less than 24 hours from the date she was found.
There were letters and numbers written on the left hand of the victim in ink (color of ink unknown). While there were different interpretations of what was actually written on the hand, almost definitely was WSR. Next to that was either a 4 or a 5. Below and to the right was either a 4 or 7. Police checked license plates and CB call signs but were unable to determine the significance of the notations. The ink would probably have lasted 8-12 hours.

The three suitcases the remains were found in were all the same size (23" x 14" x 7 1/2"). Two of them were blue in color, one was blue & tan plaid. The handles had been cut off of the suitcases before they were dropped at the site and the zippers had been painted with flat black paint.
Inside the suitcases, the police also found straw, dry packing foam, a cut up chenille bedspread and six sections of the New York Sunday News dated September 26, 1976. The bedspread was most likely originally pink in color, however, the worn and dirty condition made it appear more "rust" or "coral" colored. The bedspread had an embroidered yellow flower design.

Facial features such as the nose and the hair style are an artist's estimation to complete the image.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Pennsylvania State Police
570-459-3890

NCMEC #:
NCMU400049

NCIC Number:
U-833004226
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Pennsylvania Missing Persons

Return to the Unidentified Victims' Index

amber1
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
This is a very interesting thread. And I'm happy to see that Deanie Peters is on your list.
I have quite a few that just stick with me on an emotional level. None more than Dean Marie Pyle Peters though. Out of all the cases I know about, she is tops. I'd at5 least like to see her be found.

grievousangel
08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
The names of the missing elderly woman and her grandson are Lillian R. Martin and Joshua Bryant. Joshua's remains were found in 2004, only 5 miles from

their home. Mrs. Martin's remains have never been found but it is presumed she is deceased as well. The main suspect in the case committed suicide one

month prior to Joshua's remains being discovered in 2004. This case has always bothered me as well.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/martin_lillian.html

WhyaDuck?
08-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Tamra Keepness, missing 2004:
http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/Murder/Tamra%20Keepness.htm

Casey Bohun, missing 1989:
http://ca.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=9400180&orgPrefix=RCMP&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_CA&searchLang=en_CA

And, of course, the Boy in the Box - If presented with three wishes from some mythical creature, his identity and justice for him would be the first on my list, I think. (Unless I had the option for a million more wishes to find/identify all the others.)

WhyaDuck?
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Anna Waters
Suzanne Davis/Tanya Hughes/Sharon Marshall
John David Gosch
Those three girls who disappeared from a Texas shopping mall -- I can't remember their names off the top of my head (they were two teens and a 9 year old, and they were Christmas shopping)

If I could find out what happened to these people before I died, I would be a happy woman.

BBM

http://www.missingtrio.com/TRIO/index.aspx

Julie Ann Moseley
Rachel Trlica
Lisa Renee Wilson

WhyaDuck?
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Also, here is a link to the other thread similar to this one:
Cold Cases That Haunt Me - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

WhyaDuck?
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Not a missing persons case, but I grew up hearing about the Butterbox Babies of Nova Scotia, and this story will always haunt me. I recommend you give these sites a read through - really fascinating and sad stuff. The book (and movie) are interesting, as well.

http://www.butterboxbabies.com/

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/bhartlen/

Unknownlady
08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Anubis,

I cannot find any reference to this crime:

The Kingfisher murders (Dr. Juan Dumois & sons and another man murdered by a guy on a bike)

Help me out please. Thanks.

Unknownlady
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I didn't know about this until investigating this site - this is AWEFUL...

YAYA posted this is 2006

St. Louis, MO November 18, 1993, Angie Housman, a trusting fourth-grader, vanished after getting off her school bus up the street from her home. Nine days after her disappearance, a deer hunter found her body in a wooded area. Angie had been tied to a tree and died slowly of exposure. She had been raped and tortured. "When we found her, there was a pile of ice chips on top of her." Police found a bag with Angie's clothes, schoolbooks and a coat nearby. Schrader says Angie must have been held alive for about a week before being taken to the woods. During that time, she was molested, he said.

Detectives have tracked down more than 300 leads in their fruitless investigation into Angie's death.
Investigators have been unable to link anyone to the evidence gathered at the crime scene - a patch of woods 91 feet from a dead-end road known as a lover's lane and teen hangout.

"We've got evidence, but we haven't been able to match it with anyone," Hughes said. In the six years since Angie's killing, investigators have received thousands of leads from around the country, but the case remains unsolved. Schrader says that he hopes the reward money will encourage anyone who may know anything about the case to call St. Ann police at (314) 428-6822.

indicajane
08-14-2009, 04:16 AM
I did think of another case that haunts me.

dylan and shasta. of course their brother Slade, mother and stepfather as well...but that case effected me while it was unfolding..the other cases I learned about mainly in retrospect.

I was shaken by that case. When Dylan and Shasta were missing, I was actually doing some selling of my children's outgrown clothing on Ebay, and when I was shipping them off to buyers through-out the US and Canada, I was printing out pictures of them both and taping them to the outside of the packages "Have you seen me?'" with the polices number. I thought, maybe, it would help find them :(
Once they found shasta, and I wrapped my mind around the first few article I read, for some reason, i couldn't read another one. I've read millions of pages of many different crime cases, but i halted at the edges of what happned at that campsite...the horror of reading any details has kept me from following any of the particulars of the legal battles, ect. I don't know why this case has given me such violent nightmares. its horrible, yes, but i've read of other horrible cases..I can't handle this one its just too close.

Unknownlady
08-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Indicajane - Do you have any links on Dylan & Shasta?

Unknownlady
08-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I was just looking on Charley - could this be a match? Reed's disappearance details are absent, but the time frame is right and she really looks like Beth Doe...

Sallie Margaret Reed
[uhttp://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reed_sallie.htmlrl]
Beth Doe
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/169ufpa.html[/url]

Unknownlady
08-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Here is a better link...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/reed_sallie.html

Vask
08-16-2009, 03:08 AM
The one that haunts me is Brandy Lynn Myers ( Brandy Myers disappears in AZ in 1992 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community ); she was in my 6th grade class and I used to hang out with her every so often during recess. I was even questioned during the investigation- freaky thing for an 11 year old, and I still live near what used to be "Smitty's" so it's a constant reminder every time I go there.

amber1
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Here are my tops in order:
1) Dean Marie Pyle Peters
2)Jacob Wetterling
3)Jodi Huisentruit
4)Gina Dejesus
5) Amanda Berry
6)Tabitha Tuders
7)Bethany Markowski
8)Tamara Keepness
9)Mikelle Biggs
10)Jaycee Dugard
11)Kiplyn Davis
12)Asha Degree
13)Monica Carrasco
14)Lyon Sisters
15)Sofia Juarez
16)Mary Rachel Trlica, Lisa Wilson & Julie Mosely
17)Charolette Kinsey & Cinda Pallet
18)Leanna Warner
19)Alexis Patterson
20)Brandy Meyers
21)Lisa Marie Sexton
22)TheBlack Dahlia Murder

God Bless all of the missing. I pray every night that they will be rbought home to those who loved them and get justice. God Bless them all.<3

Lady Stardust
08-17-2009, 03:36 PM
* Caledonia Jane Doe
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1ufny.html

*An unidentified woman located in Nevada in 1993
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/125ufnv.html

*A little girl found in Mississippi in 1982
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/45ufms.html

*A teenage girl found in Pennsylvania in 1973
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/609ufpa.html

*"Eklutna Annie"
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/311ufak.html

*"Little Miss Panasoffkee"
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/470uffl.html

*"The Buckskin Girl"
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/133ufoh.html

*Disappearance of Nancy Lynn Kirkpatrick
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2452dfmt.html

*Disappearance of Rose Cole
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2368dfca.html

And a little girl found in France in 1987:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/471uffra.html

The murder of Jeannie Marie Melville haunts me too:
WI-Jeannie Melville, 18, Green Bay MISSING SINCE 1970 *FOUND* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

:(

Spurser
08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
So many people have the same pet cases. It seems that with all those eyes out there, some of them will be solved one day!

Here are mine:

Johnny Gosch
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/JGosch

Jacob Wetterling
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/JWetterling4

Unidentifed Black Female
http://doenetwork.org/cases/280ufla.html

Something about his face...
http://doenetwork.org/cases/images/230UMMD.jpg

Sharon Marshall
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/8UFTX1.jpg

Unknownlady
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Why do I have forbidden access on posts with images?

Unknownlady
08-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Something about his face...
http://doenetwork.org/cases/images/230UMMD.jpg

Sharon Marshall
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/8UFTX1.jpg

Spurser
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't know. I'll try to put it up there again.

http://www.ncmec.org/photographs/USMD801737A8068U100284c1.jpg

http://doenetwork.org/cases/images/230UMMD

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/8ufok.html

gaia227
08-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Kristin Modaferri's disappearence is very baffling. I have always been interested in her case and kept up with it over the years.
http://www.findkristen.com/

The murder of Sharron Prior Easter weekend in 1975:
http://www.sharronprior.com/
http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=49

The murder of Susan Jovin:
http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=62
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/29087

Unknownlady
08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
OMG

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/dugard.htm

DeepThinker
08-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Beth Miller, disappeared while jogging near Idaho Springs, CO in 1983

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=122217&catid=188

amber1
08-29-2009, 11:40 PM
My number 10, Jaycee Dugard has been found.
Im so happy. She deserves a happy rest of her life.
God Bless!

Kimster
08-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Jennifer and Adrianna Wix...missing since March 2004. A pretty 22 year old mom and her 2 year old baby girl. They were probably killed by Joey B., Jenn's BF. Sadly, LE believed she took off and didn't really start investigating their disappearance right away. Now they state they are presumed dead.

A lovely young woman and her precious baby girl...still missing and their family still in so much pain...this case haunts me like no other.

just1nce
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/trlica_mary.html

just1nce
10-06-2009, 11:43 PM
HERE IS THE LINK FOR THE 3 MISSING GIRLS FROM TEXAS.These must be the girls you were talking about,right?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/trlica_mary.html

kitbits
10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Beth Miller, disappeared while jogging near Idaho Springs, CO in 1983

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=122217&catid=188

oh yes, I remember this...was living in Denver then... :(

kitbits
10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Beth Doe...this really, really gets to me:

http://www.pennsylvaniamissing.com/carboncountybethdoe.html

gaia227
10-07-2009, 09:47 AM
"Taman Shud Case":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

I just posted it under strange unsolved cases yesterday but it is one that has always been very interesting to me. It all revolves around an unidentified man found on the beach in Australia in 1948, a mystery piece of paper found in a hidden pocket of his trousers and the connection that piece of paper had to a book found in a man's car which then contained a code on the back page along with a phone number for a nurse who lived close to where the man was found dead. All the labels on his clothes were missing, his suitcase was found at the bus station and all the labels were missing from the clothes in there too. There is much more at the link. It is a baffling case.

hmg
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Pretty much every case that I feature on my blog ends up really getting to me because they're so local and so many of them have gone unsolved for devastatingly long periods of time. If I had to pick a top a few though they'd be:

-Lisa Ziegert (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66748&highlight=ziegert): Unsolved murder that happened very close to where I grew up. My mom was always really affected by it and told me she'd never let me work in a store alone because of it.

-UID Found in Tolland, MA: This case has been fairly well publicized in the area, but no one seems to know who this lady is. Even more shocking, it turns out one of her relatives was shot on the same day and left in New Britain, CT and no one knows who she is either. I think this one is going to be solved soon, thankfully, thanks to some new leads.

-UID in Warwick, MA: Arms and legs of a woman were found near a rural road in Massachusetts near the NH border in 1989. Two headless dogs that were shot were found next to her. Who is she and why isn't she in any of the unidentified databases?

-PA Beth Doe: I think this one is a pet case for a lot of people since it seems so horrific that a pregnant teenager could be put into suitcases, thrown by the side of the road, and it seems like no one is looking for her.

-Lynn Burdick: Another (presumably) kidnapped from a store while working alone story that had much of the same impact of the Ziegert case but no one knows where Lynn is, making it that much sadder.

-Michelle Ashley Nicoholaou (http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2355dfma.html)- I think it's pretty certain that Michael Nicholaou killed her (I'm not sure if he was the CT River Valley Killer though) but I wish her remains could be found for her family's sake. I've been working with Believe09 on this case for over a year now, trying to get various UIDs compared to Michelle.

-Cathy Moulton- It's hard to believe this one has gone 36 years without being solved. If that was Cathy in Aroostook County begging to go home, that's a terrifying thought to me.

gaia227
10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I am checking out your blog right now hmg. I have never read it before and I am always looking for new true crime blogs to read. Bianca's case, the last entry you made, has always been interesting to me too. The fact the school let her go with some strange guy with no permission from her parents first is unbelievable.

justbeachy
10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Trenton Duckett is one that haunts me. It was his case that got me involved at WS in the first place.

hmg
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I am checking out your blog right now hmg. I have never read it before and I am always looking for new true crime blogs to read. Bianca's case, the last entry you made, has always been interesting to me too. The fact the school let her go with some strange guy with no permission from her parents first is unbelievable.

I am absolutely sick that they just let a ten year old go like that without checking into it. I know a lot of people say the school can't be to blame because Bianca arrived and left before school even began but one teacher saw her go and her own teacher knew she was absent. It seems like they should have at least called her parents to see if it was okay.

suzyq211
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
The Barbara Gibbons murder in Falls Village Ct in 1973. Her son Peter Reilly was originally charged and convicted, although there was no evidence except for an "induced" confession, which he later recanted. The conviction was overturned and then charges dropped against Peter.

The murder was so vicious, I still wonder to this day who had the anger to commit it.

MaryLiz
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
The Barbara Gibbons murder in Falls Village Ct in 1973. Her son Peter Reilly was originally charged and convicted, although there was no evidence except for an "induced" confession, which he later recanted. The conviction was overturned and then charges dropped against Peter.

The murder was so vicious, I still wonder to this day who had the anger to commit it.

Welcome to WS.

I'm glad you brought this one up. I have seen this episode of American Justice on A&E about 5 times now. I try to watch it every time it's on because I find it a fascinating case. I'm convinced Peter was innocent. I wish they would find the person who committed this horrible crime. You're right, it was a terribly vicious murder. The last I heard, Peter was trying to get some DNA testing done of evidence found at the crime scene. I haven't been able to find any updates as to whether this was done or not, but my feeling is that many members of LE in Connecticut refuse to admit that Peter did not commit this crime, so any effort by Peter to move forward and find out who really killed his mother is probably being halted by LE. I truly believe he is innocent though, and was thoroughly railroaded by cops back in '73 simply because they wanted to solve this case.

http://www.truthinjustice.org/peter-reilly.htm

suzyq211
10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Welcome to WS.

I'm glad you brought this one up. I have seen this episode of American Justice on A&E about 5 times now. I try to watch it every time it's on because I find it a fascinating case. I'm convinced Peter was innocent. I wish they would find the person who committed this horrible crime. You're right, it was a terribly vicious murder. The last I heard, Peter was trying to get some DNA testing done of evidence found at the crime scene. I haven't been able to find any updates as to whether this was done or not, but my feeling is that many members of LE in Connecticut, refuse to admit that Peter did not commit this crime, so any effort by Peter to move forward and find out who really killed his mother, is probably being halted by LE. I truly believe he is innocent though, and was thoroughly railroaded by cops back in '73 simply because they wanted to solve this case.

http://www.truthinjustice.org/peter-reilly.htm

Thank you!!!I also believe Peter is innocent. His mother, although highly intelligent, seemed to be a very abrasive personality. There must have been a few people who could have been strong suspects. Unfortunately, LE put all their energy into Peter even though there was no physical evidence at all.

This case really affects me. I also havent found many updates, although the author of the book, "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" is a very strong advocate for Peter and finding the truth. Apparently most of the files from the original trial have been "erased". I also feel that the State Police will never admit they were wrong.

gaia227
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
This is one of my favorite unsolved cases. 6 children and 2 adults murdered by way of an axe in a home in the small town of Villisca, Iowa on June 9th, 1912. There were plenty of suspects but no one was ever convicted. All curtains in house had been drawn, the victims all had bed clothes put over their faces after they were killed, lamps were found at the foot of two beds with the wicks bent backwards, the axe and a pan of bloody water along with uneaten food was found. Oh yes, and then there was the bacon slab found on the floor in one of the rooms where the bodies of the 2 little girls were found. Fascinating case. There is a really good documentary about it as well.

The Villisca Axe Murders of 1912

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/

http://www.villiscamovie.com/story_01.htm

hmg
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
The Peter Reilly case is definitely an interesting one. It's hard to believe that after all this time the police have still not apologized and even worse have lost so many of the original case files.

WhyaDuck?
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I guess I can now add Hasanni Campbell and Jodi Henrickson to the list of cases that hang over me, since they keep going on and on without any resolution...

It's too bad these lists of haunting cases will always continue to grow. :(

not_my_kids
10-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I am always going to be haunted by Jessica Phelps unsolved murder.
Carla Corley, missing.
Sharon Marshall, unidentified.
Coral Hall, missing.
An unidentified girl found in CA in 1982, she haunts me so badly that I had to walk away.
Lindsey Baum, missing and definitely haunting.

This list could go on forever, I am a very haunted sort of person.

LinasK
10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Ilene Misheloff
Candy Starr-1975
Natalee Holloway
Caylee Anthony
Maddi McCann
Jon Benet Ramsey
Chandra Levy
Bumping for Ilene. Candy's case has been resolved, and the bodies of Caylee and JonBenet and Chandra have been found. We need justice for the others!

Unknownlady
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Daniele Imbo and Richard Petrone

There has been NOTHING about these 2 since their disappearance.

foryourwine
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Lyle Stevik

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53628&page=24

gaia227
10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Daniele Imbo and Richard Petrone

There has been NOTHING about these 2 since their disappearance.

I kept up with their thread here where Richard's family posted often (his cousin, I think?) but I think he was banned for some reason and the thread lost steam after that.

Here is Richard's website operated by his family.
http://www.richardpetrone.com/

gaia227
10-16-2009, 10:04 AM
The likely abduction of the Beaumont Children in Australia in 1966 is a very interesting case too. I can't imagine what their parents went through losing all three of their children at once. The website below is still updated regularly and has tons of information regarding their disappearence.

There is speculation the Beaumont Children's abduction might be connected with the abduction of Joanne Ratcliff and Kirste Gordon who were abducted from a football game in 1973. The 2 girls were there with their families, went to the bathroom and never returned. http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/575dfsau.html

http://www.beaumontchildren.com/

rainbow
10-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Sharon Marshall
The Boy in the Box
The Lyon sisters

edited to add Natalie Holloway, Amy Bradley, Brian Shaffer

not_my_kids
10-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Sharon Marshall
The Boy in the Box
The Lyon sisters

edited to add Natalie Holloway, Amy Bradley, Brian Shaffer

the lyon sisters get me too. It's one of those cases that has so many leads, every one of them leading to nothing solid. I would love to stick my head in that case file.

Unknownlady
10-16-2009, 08:19 PM
NMK - is there a link? Is she on Doe?

rainbow
10-16-2009, 11:26 PM
the lyon sisters get me too. It's one of those cases that has so many leads, every one of them leading to nothing solid. I would love to stick my head in that case file.

You and me both :)

not_my_kids
10-17-2009, 01:43 AM
NMK - is there a link? Is she on Doe?

CA-Let's give her some dignity - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

It's a 1983 case, my typo.

foryourwine
10-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Louis Mackerley.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mackerley_louis.html

Patthebunny
10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Angie Houseman, Abducted from St Ann, MO, 1992 (?) later found tortured, raped and murdered (St Charles County, MO). This case continues to haunt LE, years later.

Trident
10-18-2009, 05:15 PM
So many, so very many, and we have only scratched the surface.

Patthebunny
10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I know more than one LE officer that worked on the Houseman case and they vow, it one day, be solved.

smart blonde
10-18-2009, 06:12 PM
The top missing people cases that haunt me (off the top of my head)...

Jennifer Kesse

Stacy Peterson

Trenton Duckett

Johnny Gosch

Billy Smolinski

Haleigh Cummings

I'm sure I will think of more as the days go by...

Patthebunny
10-18-2009, 09:20 PM
They are too many of them now. What happened to the days of innocence...or did they never exist?

shadowangel
10-18-2009, 09:32 PM
They are too many of them now. What happened to the days of innocence...or did they never exist?

Unfortunately, as strongly as we would like to think and believe there were more innocent days...They never existed.

Patthebunny
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm afraid you are right.

scriptgirl
10-30-2009, 09:27 PM
In no particular order:
The Grimes Sisters
The Coast Fiend
The Black Dahlia
Georgette Bauerdorf
All the dozens of murders that took place after Georgette and The Black Dahlia's murders-women were raped and killed in LA and they all seemed connected with those two
The Houston Servant Girl Murders-hardly anyone knows about this
The New Orleans Axe Murderer
Jack the Ripper-who was he
The Phantom Killer of Texarkana Case
The Kingsbury Run Killer
Amy Bradley
Evelyn Hartley
The Pajama Girl Australia Case-Who was this girl dumped on the road
The Two Little Princes in the Tower-What happened to the nephews of Richard II
The list goes on...

theforgotten
10-30-2009, 10:51 PM
There are a couple cases that haunt me. At the top of the list would have to be The Springfield Three. I was a teenager when it happened, only a few years younger then Stacey and Suzie. Just the fact that they went missing hours after their graduation is heartbreaking. So young and so many oppertunities stolen. My others are the Lyon Sisters, Anna Winters, Jacob Wetterling, and Sharon Marshall.

amber1
11-20-2009, 09:13 PM
www.deaniepeters-missingangels.blogspot.com

CementPond
12-04-2009, 04:45 AM
MANY cases bother me but.....

The Boy In The Box
http://americasunknownchild.net/

And

The Keddie Murders
http://keddiemurdersfilm.com/

http://www.cabin28.com/

They are two that I think of often and wonder what happened.

kbl8201
12-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Here are my tops in order:
1) Dean Marie Pyle Peters
2)Jacob Wetterling
3)Jodi Huisentruit
4)Gina Dejesus
5) Amanda Berry
6)Tabitha Tuders
7)Bethany Markowski
8)Tamara Keepness
9)Mikelle Biggs
10)Jaycee Dugard
11)Kiplyn Davis
12)Asha Degree
13)Monica Carrasco
14)Lyon Sisters
15)Sofia Juarez
16)Mary Rachel Trlica, Lisa Wilson & Julie Mosely
17)Charolette Kinsey & Cinda Pallet
18)Leanna Warner
19)Alexis Patterson
20)Brandy Meyers
21)Lisa Marie Sexton
22)TheBlack Dahlia Murder

God Bless all of the missing. I pray every night that they will be rbought home to those who loved them and get justice. God Bless them all.<3

part of the prophecy has been fufilled.
sadly there's 21 others besides jaycee listed. ;(
ironic that you posted this just 10 days before she was found though :)

scriptgirl
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
What prophecy?

kbl8201
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
What prophecy?

about them coming home to hose who love them.
i guess it's not really a prophecy but a hope

HockeyGirl
12-12-2009, 12:16 AM
1. Buckskin Girl
2. The Boy In The Box(with all that info it amazes me he is stil UID)
3. Erica Baker
4. The Texas Three
5. Grimes Sisters

Melanie
12-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Adji Desir
Trenton Duckett
Amber LeeAnne DuBois
Haleigh Cummings

While these may not be old cases, they are near and dear to my heart.

Mel

theforgotten
12-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Another one of mine would be The Grateful Dead fan Jason Doe. That's really a sad one. After all this time, it makes me wonder if his family is really looking for him.

SoonerGal
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
The Villisca Murders--so very odd
The I-45 (Killing Fields) Murders
Sharon Marshall
Jack the Ripper
Shannon Patrick Ketron--a baby abducted from his mother on the side of the road just outside my hometown of Cordell, OK. This was in 1982, and I lived right there and never heard a word about this (amazing, given such a small town). Little to nothing can be found about this case, and as far as I can ascertain, it remains unsolved.

And one case I saw on Cold Case Files, probably the most interesting case to me. A college student in Wisconsin or Michigan (I can't remember) was hitchhiking home for the holidays. She never made it and was found deceased in a cemetery with her stockings down. I believe this was in the late 60s.

On her thigh, a perfectly round spot of blood was found, and years later DNA testing showed a match with an already-incarcerated serial killer. But, at the time of the girl's death he would have been four years old.

Now, logic tells me that the blood tests were messed up in the lab, but this niggling doubt remains...fascinating.

scriptgirl
12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
What do you mean a baby was abducted from its' mother at the side of a road?
Also, that cold case re that woman being found in that cemetary-that has been solved. the killer is in jail.

SoonerGal
12-16-2009, 07:27 AM
What do you mean a baby was abducted from its' mother at the side of a road?
Also, that cold case re that woman being found in that cemetary-that has been solved. the killer is in jail.

Hi scriptgirl!

I didn't realize that "cases that haunt you" had to be unsolved (although they often are).

Anyway, I know the girl's killer is in jail, but the spot of blood belonged to neither her nor him, and like I said, it has to be a mix-up at the lab, but what if it wasn't?

RE: the Ketron child--here is a link.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/ketron_shannon.html

When I first learned of this (about 5 years ago) I asked a friend of mine who has lived in Buffalo his entire life to check into it. He did, but with little success, stating that no one really wanted to talk about it much.

scriptgirl
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
hi SoonerGal!

Why does no one want to talk about this case? Odd.

SoonerGal
12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
hi SoonerGal!

Why does no one want to talk about this case? Odd.

I have no idea. It has a "dirty little secret" feel to it, doesn't it?

Really, no one ever really made that big a deal of it. I lived right there at the time and had two little babies (born 1980 and 1981) and more importantly I had a very...shall we say 'gossipy' grandmother (bless her!)--this SHOULD have been all over town and I should have been admonished daily to watch out for the babies by her...but nothing. She passed away before I even knew about this case, so I never got the chance to ask her.

There is a thread on WS about this case and some of the fine detectives here found a few newspaper stories but really there is just not much there.

My friend in Buffalo says his mom remembered the story but she sort of clammed up and didn't want to say any more past that. Strange, indeed.

scriptgirl
12-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Somebody knew something. A drug gang was allegedly involved, right?

robertjacksonjr
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=228129983170

http://www.newsok.com/article/3276192?searched=denise%20stice&custom_click=search

Brwnigirl
01-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Michael Dunahee abducted in Victoria, British Columbia at 4 yrs old, in 1986.

http://lightingtheirwayhome.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/michael-wayne-dunahee-abducted-march-24-1991/

I used to dream about this kid, I don't know why.

chicago1
01-02-2010, 12:15 AM
..Sad.. Rachel Marie Mellon, 13 years old. Bolingbrook, Illinois

molsen
01-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Hello. I'm sure you are all familiar with the unidentified female who was found on the edge of a cornfield in Caledonia, NY on 9/3/79. She is listed on the Doe Network as profiled 1UFNY. She was approximately 5'3 and 120lb with blond highlights. Doe Network has a link to a post mortem photo posted in the profile. Of course, it looks nothing like the reconstructed photo also attached to the file. Does anyone know if Simone Stephanie Ridinger, missing from Sherborn, MA and last seen on 9/2/77, and who looks strikingly like the post mortem photo, could be Jane Doe Caledonia NY? Has she been ruled out? I think that it is mighty coincidental that Simone was last seen two years to the day that Jane Doe was located.

p7byrd
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Cases I find the most intriguing:

Morgan Harrington
Jack the Ripper
Zodiac Killer
JonBenet Ramsey
Dyatlov Pass Incident
The Taman Shud Case

shadowangel
01-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Hello. I'm sure you are all familiar with the unidentified female who was found on the edge of a cornfield in Caledonia, NY on 9/3/79. She is listed on the Doe Network as profiled 1UFNY. She was approximately 5'3 and 120lb with blond highlights. Doe Network has a link to a post mortem photo posted in the profile. Of course, it looks nothing like the reconstructed photo also attached to the file. Does anyone know if Simone Stephanie Ridinger, missing from Sherborn, MA and last seen on 9/2/77, and who looks strikingly like the post mortem photo, could be Jane Doe Caledonia NY? Has she been ruled out? I think that it is mighty coincidental that Simone was last seen two years to the day that Jane Doe was located.

Molson- Here is the primary Websleuths discussion thread on Cali...
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23127&highlight=caledonia

And welcome to WS :)

Hippy Chick
01-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Jacob Wetterling
Jennifer Kesse
Johnny Gosch
Haleigh Cummings
Amy Bradley
Natalee Holloway
Sodder Children
Theresa Butler
The Springfield Three

Nyla4
01-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Amy Billig
Sharon Marshall and Michael Hughes
Shannon Rena Green and David Dewayne Bell
Jock and Jane Doe
Terry and Darleen Anderson
The girl scout murders of locust grove ( though I believe Gene Leroy hart was guilty I'm not sure if he had an accomplice)
Jane Doe 69
Nyleen Kay Marshall
Laura Bradbury
Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman
The yogurt shop murders ( I don't believe those poor girls ever got justice)
Martha Moxley (I belive Michael is guilty but I also believe his brothers and cousin were involved also)
The unidentified victims of Dean Corll, Elmer Wayne Henley, and David Owen Brooks. I'm not a violent person but I wish Wayne and David could be beaten into telling who those boys are and if there are more victims. And I believe there are more victims.

Chrishope
01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
JonBenet Ramsey

Judeith Mae Anderson

The boy in the box

dollie
01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
It has been almost 33 years since the tragic murder of 3 Girl Scouts at Camp Scott in Locust Grove, Oklahoma. Gene Hart was found not guilty, although went back to prison for other charges. There have always been many questions regarding what really happened. Even the re-examination of DNA several years ago did not definitely give an answer to his guilt or innocence.

Check out this site: http://girlscoutmurders.yuku.com

We are actively working on this case and want answers to this mystery.

Maybe you can help us with this sad chapter in history.

Thanks!

iconoclast
01-17-2010, 01:30 AM
FWIW I think the key to the Boy in the Box case, is the foster home family. Just too many coincidences. But of course all potential informants are now dead, so we'll never know.

Mr. E
01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
1. Buckskin Girl
2. The Boy In The Box(with all that info it amazes me he is stil UID)
3. Erica Baker
4. The Texas Three
5. Grimes Sisters

I'm curious about Erica Baker. I thought her case had been solved? I remember reading a few years ago that a lawyer had inside information about a hit-and-run involving Erica, and that her body was buried to hide the crime. But perhaps that was just a rumor. Or maybe there's no proof in that her body remains missing.

HockeyGirl
01-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Mr. E, you are correct, about three or four years ago it came out, that a person, who might have been a passenger in the van that hit Erica, may have told her lawyer some info. The lawyer refuses to say anything, and the person in question has since died. The case still remains open, since there is no proof that this person did this. I just wish the lawyer or anybody would come forward and say something, if only to say where Erica is buried.

talelights
01-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Flagstaff AZ has at least two unidentified females in their list of cold cases, that I have wondered about.

Little Miss X found October 31, 1958, and

Valentine Sally found Feb 14, 1982. (http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/585ufaz.html)

Here is a blog of Northern AZ cold cases for anyone who is interested
http://unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2008/11/special-report-cold-cases-to-heat-up.html

Cyan
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Pinkie Davis-Herron, missing
Arlin Henderson, missing
Bianca Piper, missing
Ashley Parlier, missing
Clova Keyes & Antwain Carmouche, murdered. Surviving witnesses, no arrests/convictions.

LinasK
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Bumping for Ilene Misheloff- going on 21 years she's been gone!

Rustysmom
01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Bumping for Ilene Misheloff- going on 21 years she's been gone!

Just curious, but do they have any leads whatsoever is Ilene Misheloff's case? I know Phillip Garrido is a suspect, but did anyone actuallt witness anyone suspicious around Ilene shortly before she vanished?

LinasK
01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Just curious, but do they have any leads whatsoever is Ilene Misheloff's case? I know Phillip Garrido is a suspect, but did anyone actuallt witness anyone suspicious around Ilene shortly before she vanished?
I read an article around the time they were digging up Garrido's backyard that stated an eyewitness had seen her getting into a car...

~Lisa~
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Way too many to name

Karen Wilson of Albany, NY missing since March 1985 I was young when she went missing but I have never forgotten. I live about 5 mins. from where they say she was taken.
Suzanne Lyall
Trenton Duckett
Natalee Holloway
Haleigh Cummings
Jennifer Kesse
Stacy Peterson
Gabriel Johnson

Elliemay
01-28-2010, 11:02 PM
The Villisca Murders--so very odd
The I-45 (Killing Fields) Murders
Sharon Marshall
Jack the Ripper
Shannon Patrick Ketron--a baby abducted from his mother on the side of the road just outside my hometown of Cordell, OK. This was in 1982, and I lived right there and never heard a word about this (amazing, given such a small town). Little to nothing can be found about this case, and as far as I can ascertain, it remains unsolved.

And one case I saw on Cold Case Files, probably the most interesting case to me. A college student in Wisconsin or Michigan (I can't remember) was hitchhiking home for the holidays. She never made it and was found deceased in a cemetery with her stockings down. I believe this was in the late 60s.

On her thigh, a perfectly round spot of blood was found, and years later DNA testing showed a match with an already-incarcerated serial killer. But, at the time of the girl's death he would have been four years old.

Now, logic tells me that the blood tests were messed up in the lab, but this niggling doubt remains...fascinating.

You're thinking of Jane Mixer. If I remember right, someone was finally charged and the blood from the four year old came down to sloppy lab work.

Whoops- I didn't read the last page. I guess you already knew this info! My bad.

gaia227
02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=228129983170

http://www.newsok.com/article/3276192?searched=denise%20stice&custom_click=search

Here is a blog devoted to Denise's murder as well.

http://denisesticemurder.blogspot.com/

PrayersForMaura
02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I think often about a lot of the ones listed above - I wish their families and loved ones could see how much perfect strangers care about their missing loved ones!

Some of the main ones that I would love to see solved...
Stephanie Condon
Jason Jolkowski
Ann Marie Burr
Rachel Cooke
Kristen Modafferi
Morgan Nick
Maura Murray
Sara Wood

Just a head's up for those who don't know and a reminder for those who do..... The Investigation Discovery Channel is featuring Maura Murray next Monday night, 2/8/2010 on their new series called Disappeared.
I believe this is the last of the series. It airs at 9pm CST.

Maura's dad really moved me in the previews for this show.
Please tune in if you can to show your support for Maura.

Thanks

southern_scout
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Tabitha Tuders, that was a local one for me and still bothers me. The area she went missing from is heavily populated/traveled and I can't believe no one saw her. I also wonder about the connection between her sister's ex-boyfriend, who also drove a red car, and the boy who saw her get into a red car that morning. It makes so much sense to me that she would have willingly gotten into a car of someone she knew, versus being grabbed by a stranger.

Mary Shotwell Little- I think this was a huge coverup and someone at the PD in Atlanta or the bank knows exactly who abducted her.

Janet March- another local case, I am sure her husband killed her but I often wonder what he did with the body. She has a painting that hangs in a restaurant here, it's haunting to see it.

Stephania and Edward Andrews
The Lyon Sisters
The Children abducted by Georgia Tann- I wonder if they realize they were abducted and if their families look for them.

jstooge
02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
For me the number one case that haunts me is hands down The Boy In the Box...the 1957 case of the boy (approx 4 years old) who was found beaten to death and naked in a cardboard box by the side of a Pennsylvania rural road where trash was dumped by local residents. There are a number of reasons my interest in this case is so strong...and I freely admit it borders on obsessive at times. I've read books on the case and spent a lot of time on the web speculating on it and believe I know what happened, but proof will likely never be brought to light.

I myself work in a 911/police dispatch center and I can say with firsthand knowledge that the cases involving children are the ones that generally bother people in the LE community the most. Sure, I feel bad for a woman who is calling 911 because of her abusive husband, but the ones that make me lose sleep are the kids who call for parents who beat them and the like. The five worst things I've ever had to deal with in my ten years in this career involved very young children. I think the important thing to remember, and what gets me through those things in my line of work, is that we can become better people ourselves by learning from such things. If I'm dealing with a bad call involving a child, I let it affect me because it's natural and healthy to do so, but I also tell myself that I need to answer the next one to keep it from happening to another child.

Beyond the fact that he was a child, the Boy in the Box also has somewhat of a resemblance to my youngest son who is now four himself. Every night when he goes to bed I tell him that he's safe and that I will always protect him as best as I can, and I can't help but think of my son when I see those horrible photographs of a poor unidentified child laying in the trash as if someone was done with him and threw him away. To me, it is the ultimate insult to humanity to destroy a child, either by murder or abuse, and throwing one in the trash makes it so much more profane.

The Angie Houseman case is number two on my list. I work closely with some of the officers who have contributed to the case and I actually lived in St Ann MO for a time, though it was some years after the abduction. Perhaps the fact that I also have a daughter who is in the 4th grade adds to my interest (maybe there's a pattern there). I think anyone who has children thinks of their own when they hear of these terrible things and you want to weep for the parents who have had to survive their young ones.

Mr. E
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Who is the little boy who went on a Boy Scout hike with his troop in, I think, California? He couldn't keep up with them, so the troop leader told him to wait for the rest of them, and that they would pick him up on the way back. But when they come back he's gone. Then during a search for the boy, his camera is found, and there is a self-portait of the boy looking scared.

I've been thinking about this kid, as I do on occasion. But I can't remember his name; my memory is getting worse and worse... Jared something, I think.

Snufamonbobball
02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Who is the little boy who went on a Boy Scout hike with his troop in, I think, California? He couldn't keep up with them, so the troop leader told him to wait for the rest of them, and that they would pick him up on the way back. But when they come back he's gone. Then during a search for the boy, his camera is found, and there is a self-portait of the boy looking scared.

I've been thinking about this kid, as I do on occasion. But I can't remember his name; my memory is getting worse and worse... Jared something, I think.

I have recently submitted a potential match for Jared Negrete. You can read about his case and the potential match at the link.

Possible Match CA - Doe HC206 NamUs#3829 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

CatGirl
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Maura Murray

Recently, I watched the episode of Disappeared (on Investigative Discovery Channel – I.D.) where the disappearance of Maura Murray was featured. This story is so baffling and so heartbreaking! I checked the program, and it is replaying a few more times. Tonight, it will be on at 9 p.m. on the East Coast. If you are unfamiliar with the case, I highly suggest you watch the program.

In addition, here is the link to an excellent article about the case. There are several Parts to the article, so make sure you click the links at the end of each page. It provides a lot of details that were not in the television program.

http://www.whitmanhansonexpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:maura-is-missing-part-i-the-departure&catid=912&Itemid=83

Lastly, here is a link to the family’s website for Maura Murray. It includes pictures of Maura, the accident report, photos of her damaged car, and other interesting information.

http://www.mauramurraymissing.com/

cluciano63
02-13-2010, 10:40 PM
i agree, maura's case is one of the strangest ever...she obviously meant to go away but i do not believe for a minute that she meant to go away forever or to harm herself, the items she took with her showed she meant to carry on her usual habits...i think cracking up her dad's car was the last straw for her, she was stressing big-time...

but that call to her boyfriend's cell phone on the wed. AM that he missed while going thru airport security was really, really weird...

cluciano63
02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Maura Murray

Recently, I watched the episode of Disappeared (on Investigative Discovery Channel – I.D.) where the disappearance of Maura Murray was featured. This story is so baffling and so heartbreaking! I checked the program, and it is replaying a few more times. Tonight, it will be on at 9 p.m. on the East Coast. If you are unfamiliar with the case, I highly suggest you watch the program.

In addition, here is the link to an excellent article about the case. There are several Parts to the article, so make sure you click the links at the end of each page. It provides a lot of details that were not in the television program.

http://www.whitmanhansonexpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:maura-is-missing-part-i-the-departure&catid=912&Itemid=83

Lastly, here is a link to the family’s website for Maura Murray. It includes pictures of Maura, the accident report, photos of her damaged car, and other interesting information.

http://www.mauramurraymissing.com/

wow you are right, this article gives plenty of possibilities and what should have been outright clues to follow years ago...i think LE really messed up...sounds like suspects abound in that area regardless of her own plans...i am heartbroken for her dad especially...

Daisy1975
04-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Being a Colorado native and having lived here my whole life, the local cases are the most haunting for me.

The Bennett Family Murder
The murder of Al Kite Jr
Jon Benet Ramsey
Christopher Abeyta
Cassandra Susan Rundle, her son Detriecht Sturm, and daughter Melanie Sturm
Jakeob McKnight

On a national scale, the ONS/EAR absolutely haunts me
The Zodiac
The Girl Scout Murders

This woman was a distant relative of mine, I have tried to search here to see if her case has been posted about before, but am not able to use the search function. My mother talks about this and it still bothers her a great deal.

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2006/02/07/langston-family-murder-4111970/

Bensgal
04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I stumbled upon this thread & I realize it's been dormant for awhile but I wanted to add an unsolved crime that's really bothered me for years..it's referred to as the "Burger Chef Murders" that occurred in Speedway, Indiana, in the mid to late '70's. Being in high school at the time that it happened, having many friends who worked part-time jobs at fast-food chains along with the age of the kids who were murdered this crime really scared me then and it still nags at me. From what I understand, the police have never had any leads/clues to this case. So sad for the families of the victims.

kitbits
04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
hi, Bensgal...

Looks like there is a thread in Cold Cases:

Does anyone remember the Burger Chef Murders from 78 in INDIANA - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

CarlK90245
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Shelley K Sikes is the one case that really haunts me.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sikes_shelley.html

Imagine a nice young girl driving her Pinto home from work late at night on the Galveston causeway. Some PCP crazed loon drives alongside her and starts harassing her, and she makes the fatal mistake of giving him the finger. He runs her off the road, and she is completely helpless with her car stuck in the mud as the PCP psycho breaks her car window, drags her away and rapes and murders her and she is never seen again.

The last moments of her life must have been worse that your worst possible nightmare.

This is the kind of thing you see in those bad 1980's slasher movies.

wfgodot
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Northeastern Oklahoma's 1999 Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible kidnapping and presumed murder:

The thread's been on WS since August 2004 - the crimes were committed on 30 December 1999, less than five years earlier - and, in total, up to this point, we've had only 29 posts. The two girls named below need your help.

The case involves the disappearance from rural Welch OK of those two girls, both sixteen years old: Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman. Ashley had just turned 16 on 29 December, the day before she was kidnapped. Both girls were almost certainly murdered a short time after their kidnapping. Ashley's mom and stepdad - Kathy and Danny Freeman - were killed that night, shot dead in their trailer home, which was then burned to the ground.

This case has a bit of everything. Danny Freeman was initially suspected of the murders - until his body was found in the burned home, not by LE but by Lauria's father. Ashley's brother, Shane, had, the year before, been shot and killed by OK LE under circumstances which remain unclear. Many in the area feel that that death may have set into motion the events of the night of 30 December 1999, as do members and friends of the Freeman family. Some members of Lauria Bible's family, however, feel that Danny Freeman's alleged marijuana dealing was the root cause of the crimes.

In addition, a convicted felon (and a suspected serial killer), Jeremy Jones, in effect admitted to having participated in the Freeman/Bible crime after his capture for a murder committed in Alabama, for which he has been convicted. He lived not far from Welch when these crimes occurred, and had been born and raised in NE OK. Though he had an intimate knowledge of the region and was involved in drugs, Jones has never given convincing evidence of his involvement in the Freeman/Bible case, and the timeline for that fatal night all but eliminates him as a suspect. Another convicted killer, Tommy Lynn Sells, has admitted involvement, though again without providing unique evidence to support his claim.

DeAnna Dorsey, who assisted the Freeman family the night of the crime and whose daughter was a friend of Ashley, appeared on the pilot of a television show about the case in 2001 and, a short time later, was shot to death by a patient in Vinita OK, at her job at Eastern State Hospital, which housed convicted Oklahoma felons with severe mental impairments. Many in the area feel that Ms. Dorsey's death was tied to the Freeman/Bible case.

There are many angles to work on here and more than enough to set one's hinky-meter on high alert. It's a case both fascinating and macabre. We need sleuthers! For over ten years, this crime has gone unsolved. Those of us who know the case dread that the next time we read of it in the press will be on the 20th anniversary of a cold case, still unsolved - but not unsolvable. Two girls - Lauria and Ashley - have never been seen since a cold winter's night over ten years ago. We need to bring them home.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11146&page=2

helpful
04-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Jacob Wetterling
Jeanna North, though it's known what happened to her
Susan Reinert and her children
Joan, Michelle, and Christe Rogers, murdered by Oba Chandler
Amy Bradley

Kimberlyd125
04-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Wesley Dale Morgan - Missing since 2001
2 year old that "went missing" while playing with puppies on his front porch.
Rural Louisiana town, about 20 minutes from me.

Mother has been suspected of selling Wesley since it happened but never found any proof on her.

Mother was later charged with trying to sell another child in 2008 to a married couple for $2,000.00.
Charges dropped in that case.

What haunts me is, where is Wesley today? Who did she sell him to?
How does a mother in a very rural town even have connections to sell a baby? Was this drug related? Trafficking?

So many unanswered questions.

georgiagirl
04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
The Killing Field murders
http://psu-sk.tripod.com/frames/i45-calder.html

Tara Baker 2001 UGA Murdered then house set on fire....

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/011903/new_20030119097.shtml

jaleach123
06-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Brianna Maitland
The Bennett Family murders in Aurora Colorado
JonBenet Ramsey
Maura Murray

Stephani
08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
This is a great thread...just wanted to bump it up because there are so many stories here that I had never heard of. Some of the cases that haunt me: JBR, Lyle Stevik, Greatful Dead Fan. To be honest, every story I read here haunts me and affects me.

amber1
08-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Reading through these threads on this site makes me realize how much all these stories bother me. All these people and children, no matter how long ago they were here-walked, breathed, ate and loved just like we all do now.

I do have some that stick with me on an emotional level more than others:

1. Dean Marie Pyle Peters-14 years old, vanished from a school event on 02/05/1981. It just baffles me how she disappeared from a place we see as a safe zone for our kids. I have always felt in my heart that someone took her who was watching her or she was involved in a hit and run accident. I run her website www.freewebs.com/find_dean_marie and I think of her everyday, hoping she will be found.

2. Jacob Wetterling-I think he was 11 years old, missing since October 1989, abducted at gun point when biking home with his friends. His case is local to me, and the strength and tenacity of his mother always keeps his case going.

3. Jodi Huisentruit-a news anchor abducted from her apartment on her way to work while unlocking her car. I have always thought some creep who watched her on the news became obsessed with her and took her.

4. Beverly Potts-10 years old, missing in the 1950's. It's assume she was abducted on her way home from the park. I still can't believe no one saw her get abducted. There was over 1500 people at the park that night. I am reading the book about her, and it is awfully good.

5. Mikelle Biggs-a girl missing from Arizona. Her and her sister thought they heard an ice cream truck, ran to see it. Her sister went to get her sweater, and when she came back, Mikelle was gone.

6. Michaela Garecht-Abducted when she tried to get her scooter back from an unknown man outside of the Rainbow store.

7. Amy Billig-17 years old, rumored to have been abducted by a motorcycle gang, but sometimes I wonder...

8.Rachel Mellon Skemp-Disappeared from her home when she stayed home sick. I am positive her stepfather did it, police have assumed that as well for years. It blows my mind that her case isn't solved yet-it should be!

9.Anna Waters-missing January 16, 1972 from Half Moon Bay at 6 years old. She went outside to play and hasnt been seen since. I wonder if she was kidnapped to be raised by someone else or to be in an illegal adoption. Beautiful child. A book about her just came out: Searching for Anna by Michaele Benedict.

10. Amy Sue Pagnac-Vanished at Holiday gas station when her father went inside to use the restroom. She was 13 years old on this August 1989 day.. There was a positive sighting of her in Minneapolis the next day. It's believed she was kidnapped.

I would love to see resolution in all these cases-it would make me one happy person. Of course, there are so many more that I think about.....majorie west, tara calico and the photos, the real indentity of sharon marshall, kellie marie brownlee, both the kimberly doss girls, stephanie crane, cherrie mahan......

Mandy113
08-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Though a newbie to WS, I've followed missing person cases for years now. The idea anyone can just vanish from the face of the earth ... I can't even fathom the pain & horror those families live with every day.

Already mentioned, but mine are

Johnny Gosch
Eugene Martin
Jacob Wetterling
Jodi Huisentruit
Brian Shaffer
Joshua Guimond

& Tara Calico The picture of the young woman & the boy in the van has haunted me ever since I saw it years ago. I just never felt it was staged. Even if that girl wasn't Tara, who was she ??? Who was that poor boy ???

If I recall correctly, Brian Shaffer was out with friends the night he disappeared. Apparently, they were less than forthcoming with the police. I do believe they know far more than they told. It was heartbreaking to hear his father died without ever finding his son.

You have all listed cases I'd never even heard about and I've now looked up several of them. Some of them, to be honest, I wish I hadn't checked them out. It's shocking to realize just how many unsolved cases there have been over the years. I also read the Doe Network and will be adding the Charley Project to my list. What may be even more disturbing are the cases with the unclaimed, unidentified bodies. Especially the children. How is it possible there is no one to claim these children?

I guess the best we can do is remain a voice for justice. Even if only a few are able to be resolved ... well, it's something. My prayers are with all these victims & their families.

rosierider
08-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Mine are the possibly related cases of:
Laney Gwinner,
Carrie Culberson
Heather Teague
Kristina Porco
Shaylene Farrell
Regina Renee Cox
Erica Lee Frayshure

kline
08-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Reading through these threads on this site makes me realize how much all these stories bother me. All these people and children, no matter how long ago they were here-walked, breathed, ate and loved just like we all do now.

I do have some that stick with me on an emotional level more than others:

1. Dean Marie Pyle Peters-14 years old, vanished from a school event on 02/05/1981. It just baffles me how she disappeared from a place we see as a safe zone for our kids. I have always felt in my heart that someone took her who was watching her or she was involved in a hit and run accident. I run her website www.freewebs.com/find_dean_marie (http://www.freewebs.com/find_dean_marie) and I think of her everyday, hoping she will be found.

2. Jacob Wetterling-I think he was 11 years old, missing since October 1989, abducted at gun point when biking home with his friends. His case is local to me, and the strength and tenacity of his mother always keeps his case going.

3. Jodi Huisentruit-a news anchor abducted from her apartment on her way to work while unlocking her car. I have always thought some creep who watched her on the news became obsessed with her and took her.

4. Beverly Potts-10 years old, missing in the 1950's. It's assume she was abducted on her way home from the park. I still can't believe no one saw her get abducted. There was over 1500 people at the park that night. I am reading the book about her, and it is awfully good.

5. Mikelle Biggs-a girl missing from Arizona. Her and her sister thought they heard an ice cream truck, ran to see it. Her sister went to get her sweater, and when she came back, Mikelle was gone.

6. Michaela Garecht-Abducted when she tried to get her scooter back from an unknown man outside of the Rainbow store.

7. Amy Billig-17 years old, rumored to have been abducted by a motorcycle gang, but sometimes I wonder...

8.Rachel Mellon Skemp-Disappeared from her home when she stayed home sick. I am positive her stepfather did it, police have assumed that as well for years. It blows my mind that her case isn't solved yet-it should be!

9.Anna Waters-missing January 16, 1972 from Half Moon Bay at 6 years old. She went outside to play and hasnt been seen since. I wonder if she was kidnapped to be raised by someone else or to be in an illegal adoption. Beautiful child. A book about her just came out: Searching for Anna by Michaele Benedict.

10. Amy Sue Pagnac-Vanished at Holiday gas station when her father went inside to use the restroom. She was 13 years old on this August 1989 day.. There was a positive sighting of her in Minneapolis the next day. It's believed she was kidnapped.

I would love to see resolution in all these cases-it would make me one happy person. Of course, there are so many more that I think about.....majorie west, tara calico and the photos, the real indentity of sharon marshall, kellie marie brownlee, both the kimberly doss girls, stephanie crane, cherrie mahan......Deanie Pyle Peters is another one that has stuck with me...is there anything new on that case at all?

jokie7348
08-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Shondra May, who was abducted, raped, murdered and found hogtied in a creek in 1986. Her murderer has never been found. She has a thread on Cold Cases. Very personal to me because I was her counselor in high school when she was abducted. Think of her every day.

Maura Murray
Grateful Dead fan Jason Doe

LetJusticePrevail
08-24-2010, 11:09 PM
6 years since Billy went missing. Wishing for answers so his family can have him home, give him a proper burial and have justice served.

Please keep them in your prayers.

Watch news coverage of the vigil that was held to honor him as the family approaches this 6 year mark.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Vigil_to_Remember_the_Missing_Hartford.html

http://www.courant.com/videobeta/786...Smolinski-8-22

Cyan
10-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Pinkie Davis-Herron, missing
Arlin Henderson, missing
Bianca Piper, missing
Ashley Parlier, missing
Clova Keyes & Antwain Carmouche, murdered. Surviving witnesses, no arrests/convictions.

Charges Filed in 2004 Double Murder (http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20100929/NEWS01/9290312/Charges-filed-in-2004-double-murder)

"An arrest warrant was signed Tuesday afternoon by Calhoun County prosecutors for Elliott Patterson, 31, of Battle Creek in the shooting deaths March 13, 2004, of Clova Keyes, 20, and Antwain Carmouche, 17.

Patterson is charged in the warrant with two counts of open murder and a count of assault with intent to murder in the wounding of Eric Wazner, 24, of Battle Creek. Patterson also is charged with weapons violations and being a habitual offender.

"Thank God, after all these years I am so happy something is being done," said Dawanda Boyd, mother of Carmouche. "I was always confident that one day this is going to be solved. It is showing that the Battle Creek Police Department is doing their job. It might take a long time."

kimdawn67
10-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I live in TN and the Tabith Tutors case always haunts me. She disappeared on my anniversary. Also the Leigh Ann Greene case, we were close in age when she disappeared. She also disappeared near where my father lived and so the location was familiar to me.

Hard to imagine they both just disappeared into thin air.

Lady Gray
11-07-2010, 11:47 AM
The disappearance of Maura Murray......someone, somewhere knows.

Tracer
11-09-2010, 01:06 PM
OK, great thread here. Three cases that stay on my mind are:

Eva Debruhl
Kyle Fleischmann
Zahra Baker

w1df10wr
11-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Along with some already listed-

Skyla Whitaker age 11 & Taylor Placker age 13 WebSleuths forum for case - murdered 6/8/08 and unsolved.

Earthbound Misfit I
11-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Kimberly Shawn Cheatham - missing from Dallas, Texas since April 1989
LeeAnna Warner
Princess Blue (unidentified female) - Located in Manvel, Texas on September 10, 1990
Jason Doe AKA Grateful Dead Fan

zchick
11-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Annette K Schnee and Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer Jan 6 1982
Also known as the orange bootie case
This case bothers me, It happened not far from where I live and no one has ever been convicted.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2008/06/01/two-young-hitchhikers-shot-and-dumped-near-breckenridge/

Beatrice
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
We,as the public become so involved in missing/murdered persons cases...Sometimes the guilty person is incarcerated..Yet, we are not privy to the who, what, how's....most especially...The WHY's of the disappearance and/or murder.

Etan Patz
Johnny Gosch
Denise Simpson
Laci Peterson
Natalee Holloway
Jennifer Odom
Haleigh Cummings
Kyron Horman

I guess the motive is: The need for POWER & CONTROL
The need for MONEY, DRUGS...All addictions.

lieber32
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
The Boy in the Box
The Three Missing Women, MO

I read a book about the Boy in the Box. The detectives followed every lead, they even took pictures of dead boy posed in live positions, sitting etc. I too hope this one gets solved. They did a very throrough search, some of the leads they tracked down in the book were bizarre. They even looked at old immigrant files/photos. I know they were very dedicated to finding out who he was. I would be too, a beaten very young boy found in a box.

*~Aimee~*
12-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Jacob Wetterling
Etan Kalil Patz
Angie Housman
Heather Kullorn
Bianca Piper
Gina Dawn Brooks
Christian Ferguson
Charles Arlin Henderson
Robin Kerry
Scott Kleeschulte
Lisa Stebic
Stacy Peterson
Bonnie Woodward

I guess I could go on & on. There are so many.

kline
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
When I started this thread I never dreamed it would still be going strong over two years later....it goes to show the powerful hold many of these cases have on many of us....which I think speaks well of the members of this website that so many still care so much about these victims after so many others have forgotten them.
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

SunnieRN
12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Debbie Fijan
Etan Patz
Johnny Gosch
Denise Simpson
Laci Peterson
Natalee Holloway
Jennifer Odom
Haleigh Cummings
Kyron Horman
Sharon Marshall
Who killed JonBenet
Monica Libao
Valerie Percy
And Laura Van Whye

There are so many more! These are but a few!

Beatrice
12-11-2010, 05:22 PM
It's so sad.....We follow these cases for months, years...And we never know exactly what happened to them.

turtlepajamas
12-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Patrick Cress
Jacob Wetterling
Johnny Gosch
The Keddie Cabin murders
Ann Marie Burr
David Adams
Derrick Engebretson

Claudette
12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Evelyn Hartley by far.

Disappeared babysitting in the 50s. It was a violent crime scene with blood smeared on the outside of the house and stuff all over the inside of the house. There is nothing concrete known about her disappearance. Why was the baby unharmed? How and where did the kidnapper come in, and how did he exit with her? Did the football game have anything to do with it? Was it a case of mistaken identity?

mysticrose
12-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Paul Skiba disappeared with his daughter and employee never to be found Feb. 7, 1999 .
Horrible, horrible case.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29671&highlight=paul+skiba

Paige Birgfeld missing from Grand Junction, CO since June 2007 just vanished.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50954&highlight=paige+birgfeld

and Haleigh Cummings, never a day goes by without thinking about her and wondering where she is..................

kline
12-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Evelyn Hartley by far.

Disappeared babysitting in the 50s. It was a violent crime scene with blood smeared on the outside of the house and stuff all over the inside of the house. There is nothing concrete known about her disappearance. Why was the baby unharmed? How and where did the kidnapper come in, and how did he exit with her? Did the football game have anything to do with it? Was it a case of mistaken identity? Evelyn Hartley....thats another thats always got me.

montesooma
12-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Fawn Cox of Kansas City.
16 years old.
Someone broke into her house in the night and while her family was asleep they raped and killed her in her bedroom on the 2nd floor of her home.
Her mother went in the morning to find out why her alarm was still going off and found her in the bed.
Police said at one time that more than person was involved.
3 people were charged but charges dropped.
Case is in the hands of the Cold Case Squad and after 21 years have still don't have a suspect.

gaia227
12-17-2010, 06:18 PM
The disappearence of Loy Gillespie. She was on her lunch break from her job at a law firm in 1977, she ran some errands, her car was found back in its normal spot but she never showed up at work. Her purse and belongings were found strewn about under a bridge in KC. Unfortunately there have never been many leads in her case. She just vanished.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/evitts_loy.html

belimom
12-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Jon Benet Ramsey... I think that's what brought me to WS the very first time - just googling the case one night and stumbling across WS.

Madeline McCann. Natalie Holloway. Nancy Dunning. Springfield Three.

montesooma
12-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Gillespie
Yeh that one bugs me too, her purse was found 20 miles SE of KC on 50hwy in Unity Village Area.
My guess is that someone was headed out of town after they robbed her and disposed of her body - maybe in the Missouri River.

belimom
12-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I also wanted to add Anna Christian Waters... I have read and read and read about that one.

SunnieRN
12-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Debbie Fijan
Etan Patz
Johnny Gosch
Denise Simpson
Laci Peterson
Natalee Holloway
Jennifer Odom
Haleigh Cummings
Kyron Horman
Sharon Marshall
Who killed JonBenet
Monica Libao
Valerie Percy
And Laura Van Whye

There are so many more! These are but a few!

I'm not sure how I could have forgotten these two:

Anna C. Waters and
Michaela Garrecht

Of course these are but a drop in the bucket!

matou
12-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Christine Jessop, October 3rd, 1984:

"Homicide Squad
Unsolved Cold Case

Homicide: #0/1984
Date: October 3, 1984

Victims
Christine JESSOP
9/F

Christine Jessop lived in Queensville, Ontario. Christine Jessop was 9-years-old when she died. She was 4 feet 9 inches tall and she weighed only 40 pounds
Details of Investigation
On the morning of October 3, 1984, Christine Jessop boarded the school bus for the 1.2 kilometer drive to school.

During the day, her teacher distributed recorders to the students which they all took home. When she returned home the school bus dropped her off at about 3:50 p.m. No one was home. Christine Jessop and Leslie, a school mate, had arranged to meet at the park after school that day and Leslie did go to the park at about 4:00 p.m., but Christine Jessop never arrived.

Phone calls which Leslie made to the Jessop home shortly after that went unanswered. Christine Jessop went from her home to the variety store .07 kilometers from home. Chris, its owner, said that she came in alone between 3:30 and 4:00 in the afternoon, bought bubble gum and left a minute or so later. Various other witnesses gave evidence as to seeing Christine Jessop that afternoon.

Various searches for Christine Jessop were conducted in the area of Queensville in the days and in the weeks following her disappearance. The investigation by the York Police continued through November and December 1984.

The body of Christine Jessop was discovered on December 31, 1984, in Durham Region, about 56 kilometers east of the Jessop residence, and near the town of Sunderland. The main west to east thoroughfare in the area is a road known as the Ravenshoe Road."

Suspects
UNKNOWN

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/281

A man was wrongfully convicted and released because of DNA evidence that did not match his. There has been no new suspect.

I saw her autopsy photos when I was in university (taking forensic anthropology) and know about the many mistakes that occurred in the primary investigation. This case has haunted me ever since.

Mr. E
12-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know the case of the young girl (teen?) who went missing from the same spot at the same time a year after her mother went missing? I've been thinking about that girl lately. I wonder what happened to her. And her mother.

tfrohning
12-26-2010, 11:10 AM
April Tinsley Fort Wayne, In
http://www.aboitetimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1848&Itemid=53

Tinsley cold case back in spotlight
Updated: Tuesday, 31 Mar 2009, 7:53 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 31 Mar 2009, 5:25 PM EDT

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local_wane_fort_wayne_tinsley_most_wanted_20090321 1719

snip
Two years after April's body was found, someone scrawled the message "I kill April Marie Tinsley" on the side of a Fort Wayne barn. Then, just five years ago, notes mentioning April's murder appeared on young girls' bikes and in a mailbox.

"Even though this case is 21 years old, we have the killer taunting us... He clearly wants to be in the press. He wants the media exposure. Now we're giving that to him and maybe this time we'll win," said Griffiths.

Investigators think the killer could still be living in the area. They hope national attention will inspire someone to come forward.

"[The killer has] been living with this for 21 years. They know what they've done and I'm certain it couldn't be a good thing for them to try to live with," said Fries.

TexasGiGi
02-09-2011, 03:00 AM
One that has always bothered me, is the double murder of a married couple, Jean and Lloyd Davidson in their home in April 1990 in Big Spring, TX. I can't find any links on it. It was never solved. It was a brutal murder and it really scared me at the time.