PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Alert Discussion

Taximom
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM
There are two very sad things that struck me as I read this, Adnoid. Having someone threaten to look up your freaking home address for further harrassment is utterly astounding to me. I would hope that poster would be immediately banned! Secondly, that there are so many alerts in the first place.

I am so very thankful you guys volunteer for this job, and you certainly deserve better treatment. I hope we can all strive to do better around here.

BeavisMom62
06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
There are two very sad things that struck me as I read this, Adnoid. Having someone threaten to look up your freaking home address for further harrassment is utterly astounding to me. I would hope that poster would be immediately banned! Secondly, that there are so many alerts in the first place.

I am so very thankful you guys volunteer for this job, and you certainly deserve better treatment. I hope we can all strive to do better around here.
How shocking! I thought that we here at WS were high caliber individuals! I can't believe that such a thing as threats occurs. To be honest, as you said I am in disbelief, that there are so many alerts. Yes, of course there will be disagreements, but I thought we were mature, intelligent individuals here. My goodness.:eek:

I second, Taxi's thanks to all you mods! I think you do a wonderful, sometimes thankless job.

SewingDeb
06-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Are these kinds of things happening now on WS? I have even more admiration for the moderators here than before, if that's possible.

SuziQ
06-21-2008, 05:13 AM
I can't imagine what the mods go through that we never hear about. Thanks to all the mods for everything you do.

southcitymom
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Alerts to Moderators:

In the header of every post you will see this icon: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif

If you read a post that you feel violates the Websleuths TOS or is objectionable in some other way, by clicking on this icon you will dispatch an email to the appropriate moderators. You will be given an opportunity to enter your comments, and the email that the moderators receive will contain your comments, a link to the thread, and a link to the post in question. This is the fastest and most efficient way to notify the staff of a potential problem.

We appreciate alerts sincerely sent. However, abusing the alert system is a good way to get a one-way ticket out of Websleuths. The following actions, for instance, are abusive:

--Alerting repeatedly on the same poster;

--Demanding a specific outcome;

--Threatening to look up staff member's home addresses and harass them if certain actions are not taken;

--Alerting on the same post more than once

These are examples, not a full list.

If appropriate, one or more of us may contact you for more information or to say thanks. Most probably you will not hear from us - there are just too many to handle every one in the same manner as a social discourse.

Contacting us and demanding information about how we are handling your alert is considered a Very Bad Idea.

Bless y'all's hearts.

Peace261
06-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I certainly hope that I have not offended anyone.

Everyone appears to be friendly, compassionate, and honestly good to each other ..... please keep it that way.

Sincerely;

Peace.

Amraann
06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Are these kinds of things happening now on WS? I have even more admiration for the moderators here than before, if that's possible.

These types of things have always happened.

kahskye
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you mods, for the great job you do here. :blowkiss:

Pepper
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Adnoid rocks!!! :blowkiss:

SewingDeb
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
These types of things have always happened.

Thanks Amra. I deal with it on a small scale as a moderator on another forum but I don't have nearly that many posters to answer to.

Autumn2004
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
That is so sad that someone would threaten to find out a mods address or that they would think they have a choice in the decision made by the mods. Thanks mods for the jobs that you do.

adnoid
06-24-2008, 01:33 AM
That is so sad that someone would threaten to find out a mods address or that they would think they have a choice in the decision made by the mods. Thanks mods for the jobs that you do.

I can take the threats, I'm a big boy. But sending the staff an email threatening to look up where to find Tricia for the purpose of harassing her is not real bright. We're pretty protective.

sissy's mom
06-24-2008, 01:40 AM
I can take the threats, I'm a big boy. But sending the staff an email threatening to look up where to find Tricia for the purpose of harassing her is not real bright. We're pretty protective.

Thanks, adnoid,.... for looking out for our best interests at w/s ..

plus for thinking of protecting
Tricia.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even though I am sure she can protect herself!!!!!!!

RiverRat
06-24-2008, 03:23 PM

You're The MAN..........and anyone that even entertains an evil thought of Tricia had best think twice. Protective comes close to describing how many of us are.....

Taximom
06-24-2008, 06:26 PM
You're The MAN..........and anyone that even entertains an evil thought of Tricia had best think twice. Protective comes close to describing how many of us are.....

Yeah. They must have forgotten or not known that Adnoid is armed and ready!

Autumn2004
06-26-2008, 12:50 AM

Im so thankful for that. Its scary you never know who your dealing with when it comes to the internet, there are some scary individuals out there.

Salem
06-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Okay - sorry to be a bother here, but I don't see such a link in the headers of the posts? Okay - Okay I got it! Its the red button. I have been posting here for about a year now, I have just now figured out what the RED button is.

I'm so proud of me......

Salem

I really appreciate all of the mods too! You do a great job!

ThoughtFox
06-26-2008, 12:02 PM

I can't believe someone would threaten to do that to Tricia or anyone else! (Well, actually, I can believe it, considering the dark side of human nature and the Internet. *sigh*)

All of you on the staff keep things moving smoothly here and we owe you nothing but thanks. :blowkiss: There is no other place quite like Websleuths and people don't know how lucky they are sometimes.

Anyone who thinks they are above the rules should just move along and go rant and rave somewhere else.

Jaded
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Ah, this is again a reminder that there are some real nutjobs on the interwebz. LOL I think that the person or persons who do this should find something else to do with their time. WOW - God bless ya, mods. I think you all do an awesome job for as big as WS is.

*kudos*

Texana
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks, mods, for all you do.

Threatening the mods? That's pathetic in a creepy kind of way. I'm sad to hear that.

Linda7NJ
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow! I can't even believe people threaten mods....I like to purpose that anyone stupid & demented enough to so would have their ridiculous message immediately posted! Just so we all know who they are:crazy:

NewMom2003
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Thank you mods!

:gomods:

LovingRainbo
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm still looking around here...but am really liking what I am seeing....great forum....thanks!!

fran
07-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Just wanted to stop by and say how much I appreciate this forum (Tricia, {hugs}) and what a wonderful job the mods do for us all!

I know you ALWAYS hear when things are not right, but I wanted you to know that MANY of us appreciate everything that IS RIGHT.

Thank you for all you do!

:hug:
fran

RiverRat
07-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Just wanted to stop by and say how much I appreciate this forum (Tricia, {hugs}) and what a wonderful job the mods do for us all!

I know you ALWAYS hear when things are not right, but I wanted you to know that MANY of us appreciate everything that IS RIGHT.

fran

I love this post! How perfectly put, Fran.....:clap:

Rum Tum Tugger
07-19-2008, 02:38 PM

fran

Thank you, Fran - you expressed exactly what I came here to post - and you said it so beautifully! :blowkiss:

Please add me to our very long list of extremely appreciative members. I am so very grateful to Tricia and all our magnificent mods. Major kudos to all of them!

This weekend - I am especially grateful to longtime WSer and our newest addition to the mod squad, (((Adnoid))), for ALL the hard work, innovations & effort he puts forth here at our Websleuths community. Amazing contributions!

I just finished reading the *new front page* thread in the Jury Room this afternoon. Tricia made it abundantly clear - WS would have been *closed down* if not for Adnoid. (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2393344&postcount=72) I believe her. For Adnoid's uncomfortable role in that sad fiasco & so many other reasons .. I am deeply grateful to him that we all still have our highly valued "home away from home". Thank you so much!

((((Tricia, Adnoid & All our WS Mods))))

You guys are the absolute best!! (And as my son would say - "Don't let the turkeys get you down!") :blowkiss:

Rummy :cat:

Ciara
07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I just want to add my agreement to what Rum Tum and Fran said above.
I appreciate this site very much and also the work that goes into keeping it running, from Tricia and all the mods. Simply Thankyou:blowkiss:

hallowedbe
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Boy, I am blown away by all this! I had no idea stuff like this even went on. Call me dumb, naive, stupid - all of the above.

Thank you every single mod for putting up with this craziness. I still can't believe it.

God bless WS!:blowkiss:

panthera
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Many, many thanks and blessings to Tricia and all moderators ~ I had no idea what a hard job you have! :blowkiss::blowkiss:

DeltaDawn
07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I just want to add my agreement to what Rum Tum and Fran said above.
I appreciate this site very much and also the work that goes into keeping it running, from Tricia and all the mods. Simply Thankyou:blowkiss:

I absolutely agree. Tricia, the mods, the behind the scene people..thank you so much for giving us this wonderful on line community to sleuth away!

:blowkiss:

MistyM
07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Boy, I am blown away by all this! I had no idea stuff like this even went on. Call me dumb, naive, stupid - all of the above.

Thank you every single mod for putting up with this craziness. I still can't believe it.

God bless WS!:blowkiss:

me too!

i really think this is one of the best moderated message boards i've been on by the way. you guys are doing a great job!

Texana
07-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Thank you, Tricia.

(And Adnoid and the other mods as well.)

texasgirl
07-20-2008, 08:12 PM

fran

I second this completely!!! Thank you for such a wonderful forum....it is getting better and better IMO! :)

On a personal note, a few years ago, I joined WS and was denied because I had a yahoo email address. Somehow, I was able to convince you to let me join....I won't forget that and I am so happy to be a member here. In light of the recent events I just read about, I thought I'd let you know how much WS and the people here mean to me. The cases are a big part of my life and I am constantly learning from members here. Just thought I'd let you all know! :) Thank you Tricia and Mods for EVERYTHING you do!

wv171
11-27-2010, 02:59 AM
Tricia & All The Mod's Are the unsung hero's of this site in my book..

Very lot of work in this.. I know I am Mod on a other unconnected site..

krimekat
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a question regarding alerting a MOD of a "copied" post . . . meaning I have seen it cut & pasted from another forum (not WS & not sure if it is an allowed forum), so I am not sure how to deal with it (or if I should at all) - Thanks!

Thanks to all the MODs keeping WS a credible forum !

krimekat
12-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased IN - Aliahna Maroney Lemmon, 9, Fort Wayne, 23 Dec 2011, #2

from tonight . . . 1,027 alerts on one thread (Aliahna Maroney Lemmon Thread #2)

Don't know how you do it, MODs; wish more posters would read & subscribe to Forum Information & Esoterica sub-thread

Thanks for all you do!!!

krimekat
12-28-2011, 02:31 AM
one more thing -- I thought I saw a thread about using Facebook in WS posts? Are there any rules around this social media? Is it defined somewhere or is it case by case?

Thanks, again!

Kimster
12-28-2011, 02:33 AM
I have a question regarding alerting a MOD of a "copied" post . . . meaning I have seen it cut & pasted from another forum (not WS & not sure if it is an allowed forum), so I am not sure how to deal with it (or if I should at all) - Thanks!

Thanks to all the MODs keeping WS a credible forum !

If there is a quote from another forum, it needs to have a link for copyright reasons. If the link comes out with *******, then it is a site that is not allowed for discussion on WS for one reason or another and the poster needs to delete their post.

Hope that helps!

Melanie
12-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone had any malicious web attacks while using WS? During the last week I've had several while on the boards while only logged onto WS. My Norton Internet Security has blocked it, but it appears that while putting in my User Name and Password sets something off. I've been getting a message:

An intrusion attempt by (insert IP address here) was blocked.

It's never happened before, so I don't know if it's WS or something else!

Mel

Kimster
12-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone had any malicious web attacks while using WS? During the last week I've had several while on the boards while only logged onto WS. My Norton Internet Security has blocked it, but it appears that while putting in my User Name and Password sets something off. I've been getting a message:

An intrusion attempt by (insert IP address here) was blocked.

It's never happened before, so I don't know if it's WS or something else!

Mel

There is a very informative discussion about this topic here: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

beach
12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
one more thing -- I thought I saw a thread about using Facebook in WS posts? Are there any rules around this social media? Is it defined somewhere or is it case by case?

Thanks, again!

Facebook and other social media site links are determined on a case-by-case basis. There can't be any hard and fast rule that fits all because there are a lot of grey areas.

Generally speaking, usually the victim's FB is allowed to be linked and any other main players approved to be sleuthable. As you can imagine, those change as the evidence and facts unfold. No comments can be copied and pasted here - only the FB link with general directions. Any of the Facebook "Support" pages, etc...have to be mod approved before they are permitted to be linked.

Hope that helps a little bit. :)

Melanie
12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey mods,

again - not sure if this is the right place to post. Is there a way to limit the size of pictures in signatures? I can't believe how large some are getting and they take up half my screen! Trying to download posts from WS is getting harder and harder with these ridiculously sized signature piccies.

See below as an example. If said poster posts 1/2 dozen times in a thread, there's no way I'm gonna continue to wade through it.

PLEASE HELP!

Melanie

ETA: this piccie shows up wayyyy smaller than it does on a post that I view.

Kimster
12-30-2011, 12:27 PM
If you have an issue with someone's signature line, alert one of their posts and the mods will take care of it privately. :)

TexasLori
11-06-2013, 12:16 AM
I have a question about being flagged.

I recently participated in a discussion that was closed due to alerts. While I agree that the discussion was heated in a few places, I felt that for the most part everyone was respectful. Personally, I have always followed the TOS and I have never been issued a warning or TO. I am very careful that I don't because I care about the feelings of others and I respect this website.

My question is, are there any repercussions (warnings or TOs) for people who alert on posts that are not breaking any rules? For example, if I alert on a post and the poster has done nothing wrong, I just disagree with their position, is that ok to do? Because I feel like it is unfair that people react emotionally and get a discussion shut down even though for the most part everyone is playing nicely.

Kimster
11-27-2013, 04:47 PM
I have a question about being flagged.

I recently participated in a discussion that was closed due to alerts. While I agree that the discussion was heated in a few places, I felt that for the most part everyone was respectful. Personally, I have always followed the TOS and I have never been issued a warning or TO. I am very careful that I don't because I care about the feelings of others and I respect this website.

My question is, are there any repercussions (warnings or TOs) for people who alert on posts that are not breaking any rules? For example, if I alert on a post and the poster has done nothing wrong, I just disagree with their position, is that ok to do? Because I feel like it is unfair that people react emotionally and get a discussion shut down even though for the most part everyone is playing nicely.

It is a very rare occasion when someone gets a TO for abusing the alert feature. The member would have to be alerting many times a day and being rude in the alerts. I've only known it to happen a couple of times in the four years I've been a mod and they were well-warned ahead of time.

If someone alerts on a post and there is nothing wrong, the mods just scroll on by. If a thread is closed and the mods say it's because of excessive alerts - they mean that the alerts were justified. It would probably be better if we as a mod team would be more specific and say it's because of forum infractions. We would never close a thread because of unwarranted alerts.

The reason you aren't seeing the posts that are in violation of the rules is that generally the mods are there immediately and remove the posts from viewing. We handle problem posts behind the scenes because we do not believe in publicly shaming our members. :nono:

The only time you might see some problematic posts is if the mods are hanging out in a donut shop and not paying attention. :yes:

TexasLori
12-20-2013, 02:09 AM
It is a very rare occasion when someone gets a TO for abusing the alert feature. The member would have to be alerting many times a day and being rude in the alerts. I've only known it to happen a couple of times in the four years I've been a mod and they were well-warned ahead of time.

If someone alerts on a post and there is nothing wrong, the mods just scroll on by. If a thread is closed and the mods say it's because of excessive alerts - they mean that the alerts were justified. It would probably be better if we as a mod team would be more specific and say it's because of forum infractions. We would never close a thread because of unwarranted alerts.

The reason you aren't seeing the posts that are in violation of the rules is that generally the mods are there immediately and remove the posts from viewing. We handle problem posts behind the scenes because we do not believe in publicly shaming our members. :nono:

The only time you might see some problematic posts is if the mods are hanging out in a donut shop and not paying attention. :yes:

Thank you, Kimster, for taking the time to give this explanation. I really do appreciate it and all the mods here do to keep this place running smoothly. Thanks again!