PDA

View Full Version : W.Va. mom accused of burning 'wimp' into child

Linda7NJ
11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
MOUNDSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) -- A West Virginia mother faces charges after being accused of burning the word "wimp" into her 6-year-old daughter's neck.
Tammy Smith is charged with five counts of child abuse and of malicious assault, all felonies.
Moundsville Police Chief Jim Kudlak said Saturday that the child told police that her mother used a cigarette to burn her. Smith's daughter told authorities that her mother burned her because she was angered that the girl tripped and fell.

more at link

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DAUGHTER_BURNED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

:furious:

OkGrace
11-23-2008, 05:02 PM
MOUNDSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) -- A West Virginia mother faces charges after being accused of burning the word "wimp" into her 6-year-old daughter's neck.
Tammy Smith is charged with five counts of child abuse and of malicious assault, all felonies.
Moundsville Police Chief Jim Kudlak said Saturday that the child told police that her mother used a cigarette to burn her. Smith's daughter told authorities that her mother burned her because she was angered that the girl tripped and fell.

more at link

Thank goodness the girl is out of her custody, hopefully will stay that way so she has a chance.

I wish they would start giving serious time to these sickos in order to make an axample out of them and perhaps make another sicko think twice before hurting a child!

capoly
11-23-2008, 06:54 PM

more at link

friggin dumb arse idiot

that's no where near what I am thinking.....

My prayers are with the child....I wish I could hold her and tell her she's safe.

sleuthin4fun
11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Just what is it that even makes someone think that doing that is an effective form of punishment. Maybe they need to burn _ _ tch into her neck!

oceanblueeyes
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Thank goodness the girl is out of her custody, hopefully will stay that way so she has a chance.

I wish they would start giving serious time to these sickos in order to make an axample out of them and perhaps make another sicko think twice before hurting a child!

Even though tramatic it may be the best thing in the end that could have happened to her. Now she is free of the demon that dared call herself, mother. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Linda7NJ
11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Just what is it that even makes someone think that doing that is an effective form of punishment. Maybe they need to burn _ _ tch into her neck!

I think it should be burned backwards on her forehead:furious:

AmandaBrown23
11-25-2008, 02:37 PM
WTH is wrong with ppl today.

gitana1
11-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Wow. Whatever happened to picking up your kid and giving her a kiss when she falls? What the he!! is wrong with people. As my dad always said, "Leave the kids alone!" If you don't like them, why have them? I hope someone is holding that little girl tonight and telling her how wonderful and beautiful she is.

Texas Mist
12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Judge cites speedy trial right; prosecutor says burns not from cigarette

December 14, 2010 - By J.W. JOHNSON JR

MOUNDSVILLE - Tammy Smith wept and hugged her attorneys Monday as Marshall County Circuit Judge David W. Hummel dismissed charges against her of felony child abuse and malicious assault.

During a motion hearing, Hummel indicated state law mandated that he "discharge" Smith from prosecution because too much time had elapsed since her arrest without the case going to trial.

Also during the hearing, Marshall County Assistant Prosecutor Rhonda Wade told Hummel that the "wimp" markings on Smith's daughter's neck were not cigarette burns but instead friction burns - such as those made from a hot
pencil eraser being placed on the flesh.

more here

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/549818/-Wimp--Case-Dismissed.html?nav=515

2goldfish
12-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I dont get it...is doing it with any form of harm acceptable so long as it's not with a cigarette?

ETA I know the burns from an eraser they're talking about. in my middle school we called it a sissy test, we did them to each other and they usually got infected and disgusting. I dont get why the charges were dropped. trust me from being very stupid once I can tell you for a fact they take a long time to do and are very painful.

impatientredhead
12-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I dont get it...is doing it with any form of harm acceptable so long as it's not with a cigarette?

ETA I know the burns from an eraser they're talking about. in my middle school we called it a sissy test, we did them to each other and they usually got infected and disgusting. I dont get why the charges were dropped. trust me from being very stupid once I can tell you for a fact they take a long time to do and are very painful.

It doesn't matter how she inflicted the wounds.
She invoked her right to a speedy trial and the state dropped the ball.
She walks free.

This comes up all the time when known murderers are out walking around and everyone is irate that they are not charged yet. Once they are charged the clock starts ticking and if the defense does nothing to delay the trial the state has to commence trial by a specific date or they are walk.

I am guessing the state originally charged her thinking it was a cigerette burn but it turned out they couldn't prove that and the wounds healed with no scars and the file just got passed from desk to desk because no on wants a loss on their tab.

Her attorney did his job very well.
Makes you sick to your stomach nonetheless.

Belinda
12-14-2010, 12:11 PM
So another child abuser simply walks away......

reen
12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Well that is just wrong! I hope the child(ren, if she has others) aren't made to go back to this abusive freak!

fhc
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM

MOUNDSVILLE - Tammy Smith wept and hugged her attorneys Monday as Marshall County Circuit Judge David W. Hummel dismissed charges against her of felony child abuse and malicious assault.

During a motion hearing, Hummel indicated state law mandated that he "discharge" Smith from prosecution because too much time had elapsed since her arrest without the case going to trial.

Also during the hearing, Marshall County Assistant Prosecutor Rhonda Wade told Hummel that the "wimp" markings on Smith's daughter's neck were not cigarette burns but instead friction burns - such as those made from a hot

more here

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/549818/-Wimp--Case-Dismissed.html?nav=515

:furious: :furious: :furious:

Filly
12-14-2010, 07:28 PM

more here

If for anything that wound is nasty that poor kid suffered. She basically made a hole in the kids neck along with other rub marks. A hole.

That somehow for me makes it worse. Obviously nobody on this planet would hurt a kid like that, but a cigarette would have made a burn quickly. Man, if this momster did this with an eraser? She had to take some time to inflict that. Even if she was prone to rage and burned her own child that's bad. You use an eraser type instrument? You'd snap out of your rage at some point during that.

I understand the courts dropped the ball, but I feel so bad for this kid.

Missizzy
12-15-2010, 02:46 AM
This woman frightens me. Filly is right. She spent a goodly amount of time and energy doing this--on a very delicate and sensitive area of the body. This was not done because a child angered her mother. There's something far darker going on here. We haven't heard the last of this woman. She has a festering hatred of her child, IMO.

I pray that family members, teachers and neighbors will be watching this child like a hawk. Even thought the mom totally got off, the child was entered into the system. Presumably, there will be follow up.

There'd better be.