PDA

View Full Version : Questions Specifically for Benjaman

Pages : [1] 2

snowme
12-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Please post questions that are specifically for Benjaman to read, and hopefully respond to, here.

This thread is not intended for discussion/conversation among ourselves.

dreamweaver
12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Questions for BK:

If your dental work is done, was the dentist able to tell
you information about the work done? Can you share that with
us?

Have any more memories came back?

Do you think you lived as an adult only in Colorado?

What kind of Christmas memories come to you?

Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001?

Have you remembered more about the kind of work you did?
Where you worked?
Do you think you retired early, say at 55?
Do you think you were self employed, owned your own business?

Do you remember family?
Do you remember a wife? Children?
Do you remember a partner?

Do you remember what kind of house or apartment you lived in?
Do you remember if you lived in a city, a town, the country, mountain area, by a lake?

Do you know how you got to Richmond Hill? Car, airplane, train, camper?

Do you remember your car?

Do you remember anything else about your assault?
Why it happened?
Where it happened?
How many people attacked you?
Maybe a description of who did assault you?

Do you have a case number assigned to your assault or amnesia case?
This needed for many on line sites, such as America's Most Wanted.

Are you working with a psychologist who specializes in amnesia/fugue states?

Did Dr Phil’s investigator help you? If so, can you share?
Did you try the hyperbaric chamber they discussed on Dr Phil?
If so, was it helpful?

Do you want to appear on other television shows? Such as, Dateline,
20/20, American’s Most Wanted, Good Morning America, Oprah,
CNN, Nancy Grace?
What about People magazine?
If so, who would coordinate this for you?
You? The nurse whose home you are at?
Or would you like a Websleuths member to help?

Have you done your own My Space page? You could blog on it and it is free. It has privacy controls. People can view your blogs, but does not necessarily have to be open for all to write you.

dreamweaver
12-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Did you get your medical records from the Dr Phil show?
If so, was there anything different about when you were found that you did not know?

Cubby
12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Copied from the general discussion thread.

Does Mr. Kyle have any memories of smaller cities or towns? By smaller, I mean anything not as large as Denver or Indianapolis.... maybe the "Clarksville's" of the world?

He mentioned basketball games in Denver, does he have any memories that can tie a specific event to a specific time/location. I'm thinking along the lines of Michael Jordan playing with the flu and scoring X points.... or maybe an opening day event for the Rockies.... or some promotional give away at a sporting event.

Does he have any memories of the names of childhood friends? Classmates from HS? Maybe a bully who picked on him-or someone he bullied? A favorite teacher-or a teacher he couldn't stand? A childhood crush? A school team name and/or mascot? A DJ he used to listen to on the radio. The call letters of his favorite radio station?

There maybe something small, that he feels is insignificant but very researchable to narrow an area and a time and expand from there

carolwood
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Copied from discussion board-

I am wondering if Ben heard of Metamora, Indiana? Beautiful at Christmas time, the whole town is a shopping center. You ride the train through town. Gift Shops and Candy shops everywhere. If I remember correctly, they do this for two weeks during December. I lived in Harrison, OH/ West Harrison, IN, from 2001-2002. I wish I would still be there, beautiful rolling hills, quite small towns, the nicest people. My favorite place to eat was at a small cafe called Zaraco's in West Harrison. Had the best milk gravy and biscuits. Any of this familiar?

Voice4theSilent
12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
1.) Cataract Surgery - what type of cataract did he have (cortical, nuclear or subcapsular) and what the surgeon thinks caused the cataract to form (i.e. was it formed over time or due to severe short term exposure, etc.)?

2.) Did his medical records indicate he had defensive wounds from fighting off his attacker(s)?

3.) Exactly what type of injuries did he suffer from when found, as indicated in his medical records from his initial hospital visit?

4.) Does he have a heightened fear of anything in particular (strangers, rain, water, airplanes, cars, etc.)?

5.) Have you contacted the female first responder who was on the Dr. Phil show talking about your discovery at the Burger King to find out what she remembers specifically about your actions, state, physical appearance, etc. and if so what did she say? Why did they assume you were homeless?

6.) Were your fire ant bites from the dumpster area of the restaurant?

7.) Did your recent visit to the dentist result in any information about your lost teeth (how long they had been gone, what may have caused them to be missing, etc.) and in the dentist's opinion is there any indication that your teeth were well cared for throughout childhood and as an adult? Does it look like you had braces in the past?

8.) Does he know how to drive a commercial truck? A motorcycle? A boat? A forklift? A loader?

9.) What other memories do you have, regardless of how insignificant they may seem, about your past?

Cubby
01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't know that this has been answered so asking.

copied from my earlier post in the gen'l thread.
Do we have any more detailed information regarding BK's knowledge with restaraunt set-up/equipment/electrical? Does his knowledge include construction or remodeling of restaurants or more equipment related such as repairing or rebuilding equipment? Might help us to narrow down search possibilities.

carolwood
02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I was wondering if Ben has the small pox vaccination scar on the arm? Mine is on the left arm and still very visiable. Some people did not scar from this, some people have very faint scars, and most people did scar, wondering about Ben.
The US was among the first in the world to start the vaccinations in 1950 and ended in 1979, except for certain Military. Thanks!

dreamweaver
02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Do you remember if you went to college?
If you do, was it in Indiana?
Or Colorado?

Do you remember your high school graduation?
If so, do you remember the color cap and gown
you wore?

Do you remember your first job?

dreamweaver
03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Soda, pop or coke?
Koolaid popsicles?
Movie candy: Flicks or Dots?
Breakfast: eggs, biscuits and gravy& bacon
or Kellog's cornflakes?
Ben Franklin store popcorn or candy?
Grilled cheese sandwich or toasted cheese sandwich?
Fried doughnuts or crullers?
Sunday dinner or lunch?
Sunday dinner: Fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans and chocolate cake
or
Roast beef, potatoes, onions and carrots in with the roast beef, salad,
beets and apple pie?
Supper or dinner?
Tomatoes with salt or tomatoes with sugar?
Fresh asparagus in the orchard or store bought asparagus?
Vanilla milkshake or vanilla malt?
Fresh lemon coke or vanilla coke or cherry coke?
Artic Circle hamburgers or A & W hamburgers?
Pancakes or hot cakes?
Karo syrup or maple syrup?

RhythmicSun
03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I think it would be helpful to know what cravings or addictions Benjaman has (i.e., coffee, Pepsi, peanut butter, certain brands of fast food, etc.)

RhythmicSun
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I am wondering about Benjaman's earliest memory or memories (not from after he was discovered, but anything that has popped up out of his subconscious while awake). Also, any recurring dreams he may have.

Roselvr
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Coffee or Tea?
What does he like for breakfast?
Does he eat lunch?

On the east coast we have a product called Entenmann's - has he ever had one? for some reason my image isn't hotlinking, I have the photo here Entenmann's raspberry danish twist (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NcGxwg9BD_WGTDeK05abcQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLDutLGLhev_7 gE&feat=directlink)

We also have Taylor Ham aka pork roll, people fry this up and throw it on a hard roll with cheese, some times an egg.

Roselvr
03-12-2009, 01:27 PM
What shampoo does he like? Does he feel he can't find his favorite brand?

How about tooth paste? Soap?

Then my other questions:
Does he remember Princess Diana? Her wedding and funeral service were all over.

How about someone like Andrew Dice Clay? ADC was just on celebrity apprentice - he can watch the episode here (http://www.nbc.com/the-celebrity-apprentice/recaps/#cat=8&mea=801&ima=60731)

Music
Then you have my favorite singer (well band) Blondie - does he remember her music?
Joan Jett?
the band Kiss / Gene Simmons

Does he smoke?
Like to read the paper in the morning?

Cubby
03-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Rose, Your image shows... you need to have a min number of posts here before you will see it or be able to use the PM feature.

(OT- you can always go down to the game room, countdown from a million thread and add a few numbers to get your post count up.... we love newbies in the countdown thread, and don't worry if you mess up the numbers, we all do!)

Cubby

ETA: We have an Entemann's outlet place not too far from me in Melrose Park IL or about there.

carolwood
03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
In different parts of this beautiful country we live in, we eat different foods. What foods does Benjamam prefer to eat?
Rice or Potatoes
tomato gravy or white gravy or brown gravy
Steak or seafood
grits or hash browns or biscuits with or without gravy
The reason I am asking this, my husband is from Ms. and I, from La.
My preferred foods: steak and brown gravy on rice
My hubby preferred food: steak and potato with butter
southern people love grits, up north alot of places don't have it and probably don't know what it is.
My husband would prefer to eat tomato gravy with his biscuits
I would prefer bacon with the biscuit, and white sausage gravy.
My hubby is not big on seafood. Well I'm a cajun, I am sure you know what I like.
How would he spell the word crawfish? crayfish?
Prefer salmon, trout or catfish, bass, tilapia, tuna?
Likes lobster? or shrimp?
I grew up on rabbit, seafood, beef and pork.
My husband, deer, turkey, beef and pork.
Some people I know from up north, eat lots of deer and elk.
What are your food eating habits. Does Ben like homemade soups and if so, what would he like in these soups?
Gumbo, no tomatoes in mine, but friends I know from Ca. like tomatoes in there gumbo.
He may not even know what Gumbo is, but if he does what would he like in it?
Something to think about. Maybe Ben can give us some feed back, may help to weed down even further, the states.

Cubby
03-14-2009, 11:37 PM
1)Do you have any recollection of the vendors you may have worked with in the restaurant industry? If so, do you remember which products and from what vendor or vendors?

2)Do you recall the names of any private label products?

Thank you

believe09
03-15-2009, 01:43 PM
While you guys are working on these questions, here is something to take into consideration-

LE is having a tough time determining what is actual memory for Mr. Kyle and what is learned. For example, our conversation regarding flatware-I know a whole lot of information regarding manufacturing flatware because I worked for a manufacturer. Mr. Kyle knows a lot, but is it because this was his background or is it because he has been researching so much, he remembers it??? He is extremely smart and his mind is a "steel trap" for information. He may know quite a bit about September 11, but not because he remembers it for himself...likely because he has read so much about it. And he does not know either-it is called source amnesia.

This is where it gets tricky determining what is a real memory...am I making sense?

dreamweaver
03-15-2009, 01:52 PM
While you guys are working on these questions, here is something to take into consideration-

LE is having a tough time determining what is actual memory for Mr. Kyle and what is learned. For example, our conversation regarding flatware-I know a whole lot of information regarding manufacturing flatware because I worked for a manufacturer. Mr. Kyle knows a lot, but is it because this was his background or is it because he has been researching so much, he remembers it??? He is extremely smart and his mind is a "steel trap" for information. He may know quite a bit about September 11, but not because he remembers it for himself...likely because he has read so much about it. And he does not know either-it is called source amnesia.

This is where it gets tricky determining what is a real memory...am I making sense?
----------------------------------------------------
believe09: You are making perfect sense to me.
With all I have read about amnesia, that is the easiest thing to happen, that 'false' memories are there, with all the best of intentions.

Keep it simple is always my first theory. And in this case, the things he 'remembered' very early on might be more valid.
And WS has uncovered some verification of memories, restaurants in Denver, that kind of thing.

Even the things he may have said to doctors or nurses very soon after Aug. 31, 2004. I hope he has his medical records by now. Perhaps that will help.

I noticed that he has always said he had fire ant bites when discovered, but the 911 responders, said he looked like he had sores all over his body. And certainly, fire ant bites can be inflamed and swollen, hence the name.

believe09
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
----------------------------------------------------
believe09: You are making perfect sense to me.
With all I have read about amnesia, that is the easiest thing to happen, that 'false' memories are there, with all the best of intentions.

Keep it simple is always my first theory. And in this case, the things he 'remembered' very early on might be more valid.
And WS has uncovered some verification of memories, restaurants in Denver, that kind of thing.

Even the things he may have said to doctors or nurses very soon after Aug. 31, 2004. I hope he has his medical records by now. Perhaps that will help.

I noticed that he has always said he had fire ant bites when discovered, but the 911 responders, said he looked like he had sores all over his body. And certainly, fire ant bites can be inflamed and swollen, hence the name.

My bold/italic. I just had the fact that they were fire ant bites verified, so this at least we know for sure LOL!!! I was wondering if they were sand fleas and was pondering whether or not the combination of sand fleas and a sunburn would indicate he started out at the beach somewhere...but they were in fact fire ant bites. The proximity of the dumpster helped the medical personnel make that determination.

carolwood
03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Just as in the food theory, maybe NB can give us a idea of what Ben likes to eat. Food specifics can go a long way imo. NB might remember things like this that could be helpful.
Rice or Potatoes(irish or red), Trout or Catfish, did he know what grits were or cream of wheat would have been prefered?

Cubby
03-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm going to be honest here, I'm not really sure how the food questions are relevant. It's my opinion, we have two sources of memories for Mr. Kyle. Childhood somewhere in Indiana, and memories of Colfax/restaurant knowledge in Denver. It's my opinion we should start from here and work our way out.

Between Mr. Kyles memories of the Denver area as well as Indiana I think we should just trust that and attempt to rule that out first unless something else comes along with verifiable proof to contradict or lead us elsewhere.

jmvho

Cubby

Roselvr
03-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Yes, perfect sense.
It's why I said that he needs to really try to make this the year he figures out who he is. The longer he's where he is, the more chance his speech will also change.

My bold/italic. I just had the fact that they were fire ant bites verified, so this at least we know for sure LOL!!! I was wondering if they were sand fleas and was pondering whether or not the combination of sand fleas and a sunburn would indicate he started out at the beach somewhere...but they were in fact fire ant bites. The proximity of the dumpster helped the medical personnel make that determination.

If the doctors were decent they might know they were ant bites.. My hubby went to 2 doctors, neither knew what he had until it was biopsied. They thought he had poison sumach.

Just as in the food theory, maybe NB can give us a idea of what Ben likes to eat. Food specifics can go a long way imo. NB might remember things like this that could be helpful.
Rice or Potatoes(irish or red), Trout or Catfish, did he know what grits were or cream of wheat would have been prefered?

I agree very much with the food. I think that gives a good idea of where he's from..

Me being from NJ wouldn't eat the stuff he's eating in Georgia if he's still there.

Even things like remembering products as I was saying in the one post may help to see what he remembers. Things like shampoo, they may not have made a specific shampoo in the 90's as the 80's. There are sites devoted to things from certain years.

Say he likes country music, here in NJ country music isn't as listened to as regular rock.

There is a song called Brandy by Looking glass he can hear it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tRXewCAmU). It was really popular in NJ because they come from Rutgers college in New Brunswick NJ (1969). I was mentioning the song at a rose forum I go to, people have never heard the song & they are the age from when it was popular. There's a rose called Brandy, every time I saw the rose I thought of the song lol

Next Ben, do you remember any of these? A few are specific to NYC and if you went to CBGB's
Blondie - Detroit 442 (1977) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNWjF7N3Rs)
Blondie - In The Flesh (1976) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw3plY9RrPQ)
Blondie - Eat To The Beat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfRWfmlfNM)
Blondie - Heart Of Glass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnGy5YDhN8U)

AC/DC - Back in Black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM)

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - I Love Rock N Roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3T_xeoGES8)

Guns n Roses Welcome to the Jungle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtXN_EHPwSg)

dreamweaver
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
About music:
I am about the same age as BK, and I remember all the songs by Blondie, AC/DC, Joan Jett, Guns n Roses, listed above.
But, I really like rock n roll.

Does BK remember;
Theme from Summer Place
Palisades Park
Louie Louie
Cherish
House of the Rising Sun
Blowin' in the Wind
Satisfaction

carolwood
03-16-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm going to be honest here, I'm not really sure how the food questions are relevant. It's my opinion, we have two sources of memories for Mr. Kyle. Childhood somewhere in Indiana, and memories of Colfax/restaurant knowledge in Denver. It's my opinion we should start from here and work our way out.

Between Mr. Kyles memories of the Denver area as well as Indiana I think we should just trust that and attempt to rule that out first unless something else comes along with verifiable proof to contradict or lead us elsewhere.

jmvho

Cubby

I understand, just particular's about the food that I think NB could answer for us. Especially the grits. Roselr can tell you, unless it happened recently, you can't buy grits in NJ, and I know in OH, IN for sure. I am sure Ben, if he is in the south somewhere, may have tasted grits by now, and the question would be, did he know what they were. Grits is a sort of southern half thing. Northern half prefer hash browns, cream of wheat for breakfast. Kind of the same with potatoes, southern prefer red, north prefer irish. Just a few things I picked up traveling the country with the hubby. jmo

Cubby
03-16-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm hearing ya Carolwood, but I am from Chicago and my recollection of grits, goes back to highway vacation driving and stopping for eats at Howard Johnsons and Days Inn enroute from Chi town to Disney.. when I was a tiny tot before I knew of bell bottoms and have funny pictures of myself in halter tops and my first memory of sandals...

IMO, an old baseball players name would mean more than food. Only so many remember ball players, games, positions... games.... Kind of in a Brooklyn Dodgers kind of way...

Roselvr
03-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I think they are all good suggestion/questions.
The more he can tell us that feels right to him the easier it might be to figure out where he's from.

<>Off topic</>I've been doing a lot of reading here; he's been compared to just about everyone fitting his description in the US. It's my opinion that he may not have been reported missing or he's been assumed dead. The Canada possibility is also something to bring back up.

If it was normal for him to travel for his job his relatives might think he just lost touch; or he could be like me with all of my family in Europe with parents that came here.

I also want to add that everyone has done a wonderful job.
2009 is the year he'll figure it out.<>END Off topic</>

Boyz_Mum
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm hearing ya Carolwood, but I am from Chicago and my recollection of grits, goes back to highway vacation driving and stopping for eats at Howard Johnsons and Days Inn enroute from Chi town to Disney.. when I was a tiny tot before I knew of bell bottoms and have funny pictures of myself in halter tops and my first memory of sandals...

IMO, an old baseball players name would mean more than food. Only so many remember ball players, games, positions... games.... Kind of in a Brooklyn Dodgers kind of way...

I think the food angle has merit, BK mentioned a grilled cheese from the state fair (as part of a memory IIRC?) Not that it in itself eliminates a lot of possibilities BUT on the other hand, what if a certain food memory links him to a person? For example, we had an elderly aunt who flew to visit us once every few years. When she visited, she made Dobesh Torte (sp?) and streudel (sp?). When I lived in the south, everyone called soda "Coke". I would tease them because not everything was "Coke", and they would tease me because I said "pop". It's probably a long road to take with this particular memory, but as I said, if somehow a food/drink can relate his memory to a person or event, it could narrow something down.

I guess I'm just thinking at this point, anything could trigger a memory. IMO and I could be wrong. :)

carolwood
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I think the food angle has merit, BK mentioned a grilled cheese from the state fair (as part of a memory IIRC?) Not that it in itself eliminates a lot of possibilities BUT on the other hand, what if a certain food memory links him to a person? For example, we had an elderly aunt who flew to visit us once every few years. When she visited, she made Dobesh Torte (sp?) and streudel (sp?). When I lived in the south, everyone called soda "Coke". I would tease them because not everything was "Coke", and they would tease me because I said "pop". It's probably a long road to take with this particular memory, but as I said, if somehow a food/drink can relate his memory to a person or event, it could narrow something down.

I guess I'm just thinking at this point, anything could trigger a memory. IMO and I could be wrong. :)

My point exactly, in the south, Everything is Coke, including Pepsi, Rootbeer, etc. I can never remember saying "I am going to the store to get pop" or "soda".
Up north Pepsi is everywhere.

Roselvr
03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Ben, another question - In the national enquirer article you are seen wearing a flannel shirt, is that your choice of clothes to hang around in?

How about the hat (baseball hat) you had on? Is that something you like to wear too?

My point exactly, in the south, Everything is Coke, including Pepsi, Rootbeer, etc. I can never remember saying "I am going to the store to get pop" or "soda".
Up north Pepsi is everywhere.

It's soda in NJ - or we refer to it specific to brand.
If I have coke on hand I ask if someone wants coke - or pepsi if I have that.

If I'm offering Iced tea - it's that not sweet tea.
If I have a brand I'll say Snapple or Lipton, Nestea

The other thing would be footwear. We do not call them tennis or basketball shoes but sneakers.

RhythmicSun
03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Since Benjaman appears to be in his early 50's give or take a few years, has he looked at photos of the 50's and 60's and looked at magazines that were popular back then? (Life, Look, etc.) Does he remember favorite toys or sports teams, or hobbies he may have engaged in? Looked at clothing that boys wore from that era, cars that were being driven, sports figures who were megastars at that time, etc.?

All I have to do is look at my high school yearbook at the car or sports section and it brings back floods of memories. I hope that this can happen for Benjaman.

little726
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd like to know if Mr.Benjaman has any memories of being around horses?

Cubby
03-21-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure this has been asked, but often we hear an old song that we haven't heard in years, or decades which bring back memories.

I thought about this last night listening to Dick Biondi's friday night request show. Dick Biondi has been on the air since the very early 1960's, is in the radio hall of fame, was the second DJ in the US to play the beatles over the airwaves, and has dj'd in many cities across the country. (from Buffalo to LA)

He show airs M-F 7-11pm CST. His friday night request show plays many pre British invasion songs from the early 50's on.

I wonder if Mr. Kyle might be interested in listening and perhaps a song might jar something.. if not, still great music! ;)

I can't link ( Have I mentioned I HATE MY COMPUTER?)

94.7 true oldies out of Chicago, top left side of home page by what looks like the letters from the old Coca Cola letters one can click to listen online.

I'd be so greatful to anyone who could post the link.

TY!

Cubs'

RhythmicSun
03-21-2009, 02:42 PM
That is a great idea Cubby. I used to listen to Dick Biondi too! Memories! Here are some links:

The Show page:
http://www.947trueoldies.com/Article.asp?id=502643&spid=25027

Here is the link to "Listen Live" 7pm-11pm weeknights: http://www.947trueoldies.com/article.asp?id=405057

Cubby
03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
That is a great idea Cubby. I used to listen to Dick Biondi too! Memories! Here are some links:

The Show page:
http://www.947trueoldies.com/Article.asp?id=502643&spid=25027

Here is the link to "Listen Live" 7pm-11pm weeknights: http://www.947trueoldies.com/article.asp?id=405057

TY for adding the link RhythmicSun! And now you can listen to Biondi again, if you want too.

RhythmicSun
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Questions for Benjaman:
has listening to music that would have been popular when you were a teen or young adult jogged any memories? Is there a particular song that is special to you, and if so, do you have any feelings about why it means a lot to you?

Boyz_Mum
04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Do you remember traveling the Berthoud Pass? Maybe the Ute Pass? Buffalo Bill's grave? Red Rock Park? Any recall of Argo Gold Mine Mill? Are there any memories of shopping at a King Soopers Grocery Store?

Any memories of Arvada, Centenial, Vail, Empire, Breckenridge or Silverthorne?

WholeLottaRosie
04-08-2009, 12:32 AM
So does BK ever answer these questions? Lots of good questions, but, I can't find the answers?

dreamweaver
04-23-2009, 02:11 PM
To Benjaman Kyle:
Have you received a social security number yet?

If you have your medical records, a statement from your psychiatrist, copies of your newspaper articles, FBI verification of your situation, they will most likely give you a new ssn.
Here is a link, if I have not posted it before or you have not found it yet:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_admin=1&p_sid=&p_lva=&p_li=&p_faqid=79
10064.) or
Situations of harassment, abuse or life endangerment (including domestic violence). (See New Numbers For Domestic Violence Victims (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10093.html), Publication No. 05-10093.)
'snipped'

dreamweaver
04-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Do you have the results of your extensive dna testing back yet?
If so, will this be released?

Did you have an mtDNA test also?

believe09
04-25-2009, 10:16 AM
To Benjaman Kyle:

If you have your medical records, a statement from your psychiatrist, copies of your newspaper articles, FBI verification of your situation, they will most likely give you a new ssn.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_admin=1&p_sid=&p_lva=&p_li=&p_faqid=79
10064.) or
Situations of harassment, abuse or life endangerment (including domestic violence). (See New Numbers For Domestic Violence Victims (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10093.html), Publication No. 05-10093.)
'snipped'

This is similar to a post you did a few months ago on this I think, which was also excellent at the time. Where this does not apply to BK is that these ladies referenced had previous SSN's, BC's and documents that proved their legal residence.

I have been told by the FBI that BK will need a court order to establish an SSN. Although he could petition a judge himself, it is best that he have representation for this process. Legal Aid for Savannah has not been helpful, so if there are any GA lawyers who have a yen for assisting BK with establishing an id under the name BK they should contact someone here or at the Topix boards. BK has been working with a local rep in trying to work through this process. Given that the additional sleuthing and DNA results have not turned up anything more substantial, it is likely that the best way to increase his quality of life and to foster some independence will be to get him documentation based on his current ID rather than previous. He also has the option of accepting temporary Alien status and he could get an SSN without the court order. So far he has declined that route.

snowme
04-30-2009, 01:15 AM
This is similar to a post you did a few months ago on this I think, which was also excellent at the time. Where this does not apply to BK is that these ladies referenced had previous SSN's, BC's and documents that proved their legal residence.

I have been told by the FBI that BK will need a court order to establish an SSN. Although he could petition a judge himself, it is best that he have representation for this process. Legal Aid for Savannah has not been helpful, so if there are any GA lawyers who have a yen for assisting BK with establishing an id under the name BK they should contact someone here or at the Topix boards. BK has been working with a local rep in trying to work through this process. Given that the additional sleuthing and DNA results have not turned up anything more substantial, it is likely that the best way to increase his quality of life and to foster some independence will be to get him documentation based on his current ID rather than previous. He also has the option of accepting temporary Alien status and he could get an SSN without the court order. So far he has declined that route.

My bold:
I know I've heard Benjaman mention this and I've read it here before but each time I have to pause and think what is actually meant regarding the temporary alien status. Is it that he's been advised he could be given alien status temporarily (as in alien status until he's i.d.'ed and hopefully proven to be a citizen) because there is no such thing as a "temporary alien". Not sure if my point is really coming across and I'm not nitpicking, honest, lol. His insistance to not go that route tells me he's understood fully what they're offering him and I do not blame him at all for not going that way! He'd effectively be giving up his citizenship possibly forever.

Benjaman
07-25-2009, 09:48 PM
If so, was there anything different about when you were found that you did not know?

Nothing new

Benjaman
07-25-2009, 09:55 PM
To Benjaman Kyle:

10064.) or
'snipped'

Social Security says that Benjaman cannot be given a New Social Security Number because he claims to be a US citizen. Since he is a citizen they say the presumption is that he already has one so they cannot issue him another. If he would claim to be an alien(not the outer space kind) they could issue him a SS Number or a TIN(taxpayer identification Number).

Benjaman
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
So does BK ever answer these questions? Lots of good questions, but, I can't find the answers?

He answers Questions over and over and over ad nauseum

Benjaman
07-25-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure this has been asked, but often we hear an old song that we haven't heard in years, or decades which bring back memories.

I thought about this last night listening to Dick Biondi's friday night request show. Dick Biondi has been on the air since the very early 1960's, is in the radio hall of fame, was the second DJ in the US to play the beatles over the airwaves, and has dj'd in many cities across the country. (from Buffalo to LA)

He show airs M-F 7-11pm CST. His friday night request show plays many pre British invasion songs from the early 50's on.

I wonder if Mr. Kyle might be interested in listening and perhaps a song might jar something.. if not, still great music! ;)

I can't link ( Have I mentioned I HATE MY COMPUTER?)

94.7 true oldies out of Chicago, top left side of home page by what looks like the letters from the old Coca Cola letters one can click to listen online.

I'd be so greatful to anyone who could post the link.

TY!

Cubs'
Dick Biondi was kicked off of WLS in Chicago for telling a dirty Knock Knock Joke in the 1960's. Benjaman never heard it when it was told on the air but he heard people repeat it. It does not seem so dirty now but I am not going to type it here.

dreamweaver
07-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Welcome Benjaman! Nice to 'see' you on WS.

carolwood
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
:Welcome-12-june:

To NB and Benjaman!

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Copied from discussion board-

I am wondering if Ben heard of Metamora, Indiana? Beautiful at Christmas time, the whole town is a shopping center. You ride the train through town. Gift Shops and Candy shops everywhere. If I remember correctly, they do this for two weeks during December. I lived in Harrison, OH/ West Harrison, IN, from 2001-2002. I wish I would still be there, beautiful rolling hills, quite small towns, the nicest people. My favorite place to eat was at a small cafe called Zaraco's in West Harrison. Had the best milk gravy and biscuits. Any of this familiar?

I never heard of Metamora.

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Do you remember traveling the Berthoud Pass? Maybe the Ute Pass? Buffalo Bill's grave? Red Rock Park? Any recall of Argo Gold Mine Mill? Are there any memories of shopping at a King Soopers Grocery Store?

Any memories of Arvada, Centenial, Vail, Empire,

I never heard of Centennial un til I saw it on a map Post 2004
Arvada -Denver suburb
Vail -Ski town ,rich-I do not ski.
Empire Colorado is sometimes known as the Empire State
Breckenridge or Silverthorne?-Ski towns I do not ski!

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:28 PM

I like grits. the only place to get them in Denver is Waffle House

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Dr. Phil gave us all the Medical records- there was nothing that I had already been told

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:32 PM
I was wondering if Ben has the small pox vaccination scar on the arm? Mine is on the left arm and still very visiable. Some people did not scar from this, some people have very faint scars, and most people did scar, wondering about Ben.
The US was among the first in the world to start the vaccinations in 1950 and ended in 1979, except for certain Military. Thanks!

No Smallpox scars

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Soda, pop or coke?
Koolaid popsicles?
Movie candy: Flicks or Dots?
Breakfast: eggs, biscuits and gravy& bacon
or Kellog's cornflakes?
Ben Franklin store popcorn or candy?
Grilled cheese sandwich or toasted cheese sandwich?
Fried doughnuts or crullers?
Sunday dinner or lunch?
Sunday dinner: Fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans and chocolate cake
or
Roast beef, potatoes, onions and carrots in with the roast beef, salad,
beets and apple pie?
Supper or dinner?
Tomatoes with salt or tomatoes with sugar?
Fresh asparagus in the orchard or store bought asparagus?
Vanilla milkshake or vanilla malt?
Fresh lemon coke or vanilla coke or cherry coke?
Artic Circle hamburgers or A & W hamburgers?
Pancakes or hot cakes?
Karo syrup or maple syrup?

Soda
Grilled Cheese
It is just "doughnuts"
I do not remember Sunday dinner
It is supper
Why would anyone ever put sugar on Tomatoes?
Out of a can
It is a milkshake- unless you are from Rhode Island where it is a "Cabinet"
Vanilla Coke
A&W - there is(was) a Arctic Circle in Lakewood on Simms a few blocks north of Colfax
Pancakes
Neither- I do not like syrup on pancakes

SeriouslySearching
07-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Hello, Benjaman~ Great to see you on WS!

I know you are tired of endless questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer them here.

There was a question about the surgical pin having numbers before. Was this ever addressed?

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Copied from the general discussion thread.

Does Mr. Kyle have any memories of smaller cities or towns? By smaller, I mean anything not as large as Denver or Indianapolis.... maybe the "Clarksville's" of the world?

He mentioned basketball games in Denver, does he have any memories that can tie a specific event to a specific time/location. I'm thinking along the lines of Michael Jordan playing with the flu and scoring X points.... or maybe an opening day event for the Rockies.... or some promotional give away at a sporting event.

Does he have any memories of the names of childhood friends? Classmates from HS? Maybe a bully who picked on him-or someone he bullied? A favorite teacher-or a teacher he couldn't stand? A childhood crush? A school team name and/or mascot? A DJ he used to listen to on the radio. The call letters of his favorite radio station?

There maybe something small, that he feels is insignificant but very researchable to narrow an area and a time and expand from there

I do not care fot sports if I had to watch the games my preference would be, in order Baseball, Basketball,Football,NASCAR

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Do you remember if you went to college?
If you do, was it in Indiana?
Or Colorado?

Do you remember your high school graduation?
If so, do you remember the color cap and gown
you wore?

Do you remember your first job?

no and no

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 03:01 PM
In different parts of this beautiful country we live in, we eat different foods. What foods does Benjamam prefer to eat?
Rice or Potatoes
tomato gravy or white gravy or brown gravy
Steak or seafood
grits or hash browns or biscuits with or without gravy
The reason I am asking this, my husband is from Ms. and I, from La.
My preferred foods: steak and brown gravy on rice
My hubby preferred food: steak and potato with butter
southern people love grits, up north alot of places don't have it and probably don't know what it is.
My husband would prefer to eat tomato gravy with his biscuits
I would prefer bacon with the biscuit, and white sausage gravy.
My hubby is not big on seafood. Well I'm a cajun, I am sure you know what I like.
How would he spell the word crawfish? crayfish?
Prefer salmon, trout or catfish, bass, tilapia, tuna?
Likes lobster? or shrimp?
I grew up on rabbit, seafood, beef and pork.
My husband, deer, turkey, beef and pork.
Some people I know from up north, eat lots of deer and elk.
What are your food eating habits. Does Ben like homemade soups and if so, what would he like in these soups?
Gumbo, no tomatoes in mine, but friends I know from Ca. like tomatoes in there gumbo.
He may not even know what Gumbo is, but if he does what would he like in it?
Something to think about. Maybe Ben can give us some feed back, may help to weed down even further, the states.

Both
Never heard of tomato gravy
Steak
All Three
I do not like meat in my biscuits-biscuits are for butter and jelly(Jam)
Crawfish
Salmon,and Shrimp
Roast Turkey
Tomatoes, Shrimp,File, Brown rice

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I think it would be helpful to know what cravings or addictions Benjaman has (i.e., coffee, Pepsi, peanut butter, certain brands of fast food, etc.)

Coffee & Oatmeal

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Coffee or Tea?
What does he like for breakfast?
Does he eat lunch?

On the east coast we have a product called Entenmann's - has he ever had one? for some reason my image isn't hotlinking, I have the photo here Entenmann's raspberry danish twist (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NcGxwg9BD_WGTDeK05abcQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLDutLGLhev_7 gE&feat=directlink)

We also have Taylor Ham aka pork roll, people fry this up and throw it on a hard roll with cheese, some times an egg.

Coffee-Tea is only good with ice.

Oatmeal and eggs for breakfast
Entenmann's started out in San Francisco when they expanded nationwide a lot of route drivers made a lot of money because it was such a big hit. Baked goods(Sweets) is the best way to ingest surgar. Entenmann's is good!!!!

I never heard of Taylor Ham,but I have heard of pork roll-never ate just read of it somewhere

dreamweaver
07-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Benjaman for coming onto WS site and answering these questions. I really appreciate it and I would guess, other posters do as well.

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 03:12 PM
What shampoo does he like? Does he feel he can't find his favorite brand?

How about tooth paste? Soap?

Then my other questions:
Does he remember Princess Diana? Her wedding and funeral service were all over.

How about someone like Andrew Dice Clay? ADC was just on celebrity apprentice - he can watch the episode here (http://www.nbc.com/the-celebrity-apprentice/recaps/#cat=8&mea=801&ima=60731)

Music
Then you have my favorite singer (well band) Blondie - does he remember her music?
Joan Jett?
the band Kiss / Gene Simmons

Does he smoke?
Like to read the paper in the morning?
Soap -Cheapest
Shampoo-Cheapest
Princees Di- who does not remember her
ADC-he is a Jerk
I like a lot of music 40's,50's,60's,country(Old),pop

Benjaman
07-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd like to know if Mr.Benjaman has any memories of being around horses?
I do not think that I have ever been on a horse

Cubby
07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank you Mr. Kyle for answering so many of our questions. Some of them had me smiling and laughing.

I'm gonna guess if you recall people talking about Dick Biondi's 'knock knock' joke, you must have been within the listening area of WLS am 890 at the time the joke was told on air. I guess I have some homework to do- and see if I can find out the date that joke was told on air, and how far the station broadcast during Biondi's show. that would give us a possible time and limit of area's you were in at the time.

I know AM radio broadcasts pretty far during the evening, and quite possibly covered a several state area.......

As for grits, I know they are sold in grocery stores in the Chicago area, so I imagine they aren't too hard to purchase.

ETA: WLS AM 890 could have been heard, hundreds if not a thousand miles away in the evenings, so it is unlikely this would specify an area.

Cubby
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Mr. Kyle,

Do your memories of Burger Chef include both Indiana and Colorado? Or just Indiana?

My theory is, if your first job was at Burger Chef- that would explain your memories of the head quarters, as all training was done at the HQ, (if I read correctly.) If you recall any Burger Chef in Colorado it is possible you may have transfered there upon your move to Colorado.

hyldo
07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Mr. Kyle,

Do your memories of Burger Chef include both Indiana and Colorado? Or just Indiana?

My theory is, if your first job was at Burger Chef- that would explain your memories of the head quarters, as all training was done at the HQ, (if I read correctly.) If you recall any Burger Chef in Colorado it is possible you may have transfered there upon your move to Colorado.

And to follow up on these, do you remember anything about the Burger Chef Murders?

Benjaman
07-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Mr. Kyle,

I remember several BC's in Colorado. Longmont, Aurora near 6th ave. their empty buildings were all over Colorado.
I have vague memories of them-I looked them up on the Internet recently.

Benjaman
07-27-2009, 12:11 AM

I know you are tired of endless questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer them here.

There was a question about the surgical pin having numbers before. Was this ever addressed?
It was addressed. X-rays did not show any. If there are any they would have to remove the screw to examine it-I will not allow that to happen.

carolwood
07-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Do you remember Divco-Wayne or Wayne Corporation, in Richmond, Indiana? And what they made?

Do you know the national park system and walking trails in Indiana?

Is there a special brand of Coffee and/or oatmeal you prefer?

For myself, I don't think you ever lived in or around Toledo, Ohio(at least for a long period of time). My experiences there for 2 years, I never found a place that had grits only hashbrowns. Waffle house in Harrison, Oh (on the Indiana/Ohio line) served grits, I ate there often, because of the grits. In Chicago area, Napersville and Romesville?, I ate at the Waffle Houses, but can't remember if there were grits.

NB, Ben thank you for answering these questions.
PS, Louisiana had many Burger Chef's.

kyresearcher
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Mr Kyle, is it possible your work could have been in a hospital cafeteria or school rather than a restaurant that customers came into? No one had touched upon that so thought it might joggle your memory if you had indeed worked in one of those facalities.

Mi Perro Querido
07-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Hello Mr. Kyle -
I hope you check back with WB -
You had said in an interview you thought you had 3 brothers - was there a certain game you remember playing with them, like cards, outdoor stuff, etc..
or maybe the way they talked/things they may have said, or just fleeting images of brothers?

dreamweaver
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Benjaman:
Does Wichita, KS area have any memories at all for you?

Boyz_Mum
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I never heard of Centennial un til I saw it on a map Post 2004
Arvada -Denver suburb
Vail -Ski town ,rich-I do not ski.
Empire Colorado is sometimes known as the Empire State
Breckenridge or Silverthorne?-Ski towns I do not ski!

Welcome Benjaman!

Arvada has grown a lot since the 80's. We transplanted to CO and I'm not familiar with all the areas, just trying to think of what I saw along the way. We'd pass through Empire to head toward Denver for shopping.

I wish I could think of more, being stuck up in the mountains didn't help me learn too much about the Denver area. I would like to wish you the best on your search and thank you for answering all the questions here.

:blowkiss:

Cubby
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Mr. Kyle,

Is your knowledge of the restaurant industry solely food service equipment, or does it also include food itself. For example one would order their food supplies for a restaurant from such and such a place, say Steak from X company, Seafood from X company....

When I complete my email for Bob- with R3 Distribution, I would like to give him as accurate information regarding your restaurant knowledge as possible in order to focus on getting your info to those specific to that area of the industry.

Thanks a million! And some of your replies crack me up! You seem to have a great sense of humor.

:)
Cubby

Cubby
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Mr. Kyle,

Do you happen to recall the driving time your parents may have driven during childhood family vacations?

I can't get it out of my head, that you may have moved from the Indianapolis area to the NW Indiana area. Particularly due to the memory of your possible birth date being exactly 10 years to the day of Michael Jackson. You seem a little older than the age range I would have expected to be big Jackson 5 fans during the mid 60's to early 70's.... Unless it stood out, because you were living closer to the NW area of IN during their prime.

Now, this House on the Rock, is closer to the Madison area, and also Wisconsin Dells - which had (has) the Tommy Bartlett Water show. It seems like a longer drive than one might make from Indianapolis, as opposed to the NW IN, or NE IL area's.

On another note, while I being from the Chicago area had never heard of Burger Chef until you mentioned it, I did research locations and there were some in the far south - south west burbs of Chicago - (closer to the indiana/IL border).

Any thoughts on having spent time in the NW IN area or any recollection of how long your parents drove for vacations? were they 2-3 hour trips or a trip which might have taken 7 plus hours?

Thanks!
Cubby

Cubby
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
One more 'dumb' question. How do you pronounce Chicago?

Do you say "Chi cah' go" - with a broad A as in swan,
or "Chi Caw go"? like the way a hawks crow would sound. One is specific to the northern burbs or North of Chi town, the other the south burbs blue collar regions.

It may help.... there were also some Burger Chef locations in Waukegan and Schaumburg in the Chicago area's.

carolwood
07-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Would you have a recollection of your parents jobs?

believe09
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
I am wondering if we could give way on the more personal questions asked of Mr. Kyle and focus in on some of the ones along the lines of Cubby's, for example...the Burger Chef and the work she did around the radio station...

I do not want to stifle any ones creativity, but I have to step back and wonder how well I would do if I had a "room" full of strangers asking me some of these things. JMO.

I understand the food based and language based ones-I think that a lot of this work has been done by some of the linguists who have spoken with Mr. Kyle. IIRC, the overall feeling is that we should be looking in Northern TX, OK, IN , CO and perhaps KS for him when it comes to dialect. Makes perfect sense to me.

I am just trying to get a sense of what might give both us and Benjaman the biggest return for time spent...any thoughts on this??

SeriouslySearching
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
We also have to realize he has been at this for a long time. Many questions as to preferences such as foods and other things have been covered by him personally if they could unlock any memory of the past.

I can imagine in 5 years he has redeveloped his sense of taste and likes according to what he has eaten after he was found. Perhaps it is not the best indication of his favored tastes from before. Experience with food is memory based, imo. Our likes and dislikes come from trying the foods, the texture preferences, the way we see the foods, and our sense of smell. If we don't care for one of those, we don't want to try it again. This can be skewed by the way it was cooked or prepared among other things dating back to our childhoods. Could his tastes have completely changed or are they the same as before?

DotsEyes
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Bejaman, do you have any recollection of significant events in history and where you were at the time, such as JFK's assasination, the fall of Saigon, Woodstock, the first moon landing, the fall of the Berlin wall, 911?

Do you have any recollection of serving in the armed forces in Viet Nam? Signing up for selective servce? Being drafted?

SeriouslySearching
07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
The Oklahoma City Bombing? Tornadoes? Major weather events such as blizzards, floods, etc?

believe09
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
We also have to realize he has been at this for a long time. Many questions as to preferences such as foods and other things have been covered by him personally if they could unlock any memory of the past.

I can imagine in 5 years he has redeveloped his sense of taste and likes according to what he has eaten after he was found. Perhaps it is not teh best indication of his favored tastes from before. Experience with food is memory based, imo. Our likes and dislikes come from trying the foods, the texture preferences, the way we see the foods, and our sense of smell. If we don't care for one of those, we don't want to try it again. This can be skewed by the way it was cooked or prepared among other things dating back to our childhoods. Could his tastes have completely changed or are they the same as before?

Thanks for stating it so nicely SS-perhaps we can also give him a pass on questions he likely has either considered or has been asked numerous times before so he doesn't feel like he is being pressured to repeat himself.

Cubby
07-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I can imagine in 5 years he has redeveloped his sense of taste and likes according to what he has eaten after he was found. Perhaps it is not teh best indication of his favored tastes from before. Experience with food is memory based, imo. Our likes and dislikes come from trying the foods, the texture preferences, the way we see the foods, and our sense of smell. If we don't care for one of those, we don't want to try it again. This can be skewed by the way it was cooked or prepared among other things dating back to our childhoods. Could his tastes have completely changed or are they the same as before?

I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child. For example, while my family is of Polish decent, as an adult I developed a dislike for bland heavy foods. I had never tried many seafood dishes, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, and other foods as a child. Many of which I love now. I suppose if one was a picky eater as a child, they may or may not be a picky eater as an adult........ I'm from Chicago, I LOVE pickled eggs! Something more popular in the south- but I am not from, nor have I ever lived in the south. If Mr. Kyle worked in a restaurant, he would have been exposed to a variety of foods never made in his childhood home which would have influenced his food tastes based on what kind of food the restaurant served. As a manager he surely would have sampled all the foods on the menu. Hope this makes sense. :blowkiss:

SeriouslySearching
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child. For example, while my family is of Polish decent, as an adult I developed a dislike for bland heavy foods. I had never tried many seafood dishes, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, and other foods as a child. Many of which I love now. I suppose if one was a picky eater as a child, they may or may not be a picky eater as an adult........ I'm from Chicago, I LOVE pickled eggs! Something more popular in the south- but I am not from, nor have I ever lived in the south. Hope this makes sense. :blowkiss: If Mr. Kyle worked in a restaurant, he would have been exposed to a variety of foods never made in his childhood home which would have influenced his food tastes based on what kind of food the restaurant served. As a manager he surely would have sampled all the foods on the menu. Hope this makes sense.
True enough, but the point is you remember trying them to discern the tastes you prefer. He doesn't have those memories even from his adulthood to fall back on now. Would he remember the taste of those foods? Would his taste buds have the same preferences today as they did then? I guess this is my question. (It was not really about childhood food memories, but food/taste memories in general.)

Cubby
07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I understand what you are saying SS. I get cravings for my mothers home made meatballs even though I haven't had them in prolly 25 years. (When I was preggo, I started craving peas with vidalia onions which I hadn't had since childhood. Not that MR. Kyle is gonna have any preggo cravings, lol. ;). Just using that as an example of mmories of foods I was fond of as a child.

Cubby
07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
NW Indiana is within the broadcast range of Chicago news. If Mr. Kyle is from the NW area of Indiana he may have memories of the following:

The Our Lady of Angels School fire, Dec 1, 1958. which tragically took the lives of 92 students and nuns. ( Sorry to suggest such a tragic event, but being a Catholic school, and a profound impact on those of us who are or were Catholic in the area. This may be an event you remember.)

The Blizzard of 1967- the greatest amount of snowfall in 24 hours in Chicago's history. 23" in 24 hours. It pretty much shut down the city for days. the NW area of Indiana would have also been affected, and was often affected by 'Lake Effect' snow. You may recall this event.

TY Mr. Kyle, and please do not feel obligated to answer each and every question asked of you here. Answer what you believe may be relevent to assisting in your identification. We fully understand and appreciate very much your taking the time to participate here at WS. :blowkiss:

dreamweaver
07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
I think most of the basic questions have been answered or the ones Benjaman Kyle chose to answer the other day.
Saying that, I don't think we should exclude any question.
But we could think twice about the question before we post it.

glitterghost
07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Bejaman, do you have any recollection of significant events in history and where you were at the time, such as JFK's assasination, the fall of Saigon, Woodstock, the first moon landing, the fall of the Berlin wall, 911?

Do you have any recollection of serving in the armed forces in Viet Nam? Signing up for selective servce? Being drafted?

I was thinking that from what I understand...if young men were going to college during Vietnam then they didnt have to serve (correct me if i am wrong someone?) and since he recalls being at college in Colorado and has had elbow surgery..could he have been on a sports scholarship during Vietnam? Has he posted his face on Classmates at different colleges?

carolwood
07-29-2009, 06:40 PM
As for asking questions, you never know which questions will trigger something from Benjaman's past. With that being said, I personally don't won't to overwhelm him or NB either.

Maybe we could do like a limit on a daily, or weekly basis, or whatever NB and Benjaman would be comfortable with, as for asking questions.

JMHO, any thoughts on this?

Cubby
07-29-2009, 08:21 PM
My mom suggested Jim Lounsbury who had a local show much like Dick Clarks American Bandstand. It would have been broadcast in the NE IL and NW IN area..... She remembers it on WGN TV ( channel 9).

He's before my time, so I copied this from his wiki page.

Jim Lounsbury (February 24, 1923 in Colo, Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colo,_Iowa) – January 8, 2006 in Tucson, Arizona (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson,_Arizona)) was an early pioneer in rock and roll music, hosting many of the first rock and roll radio programs (WIND, WJJD, Chicago, WOR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOR_(AM)), New York) and later many rock and roll television shows, including Jim Lounsbury's Sock Hop, "Bandstand Matinee"', and The Record Hop (WGN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGN-TV) and WBKB, Chicago), as well as hosting many local record hops in the Chicago area in the 1950s and '60s, and occasionally guest-hosting for Dick Clark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Clark_(entertainer)) on American Bandstand. He also hosted one of the last shows with Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens, in Kenosha, Wisconsin on January 24, 1959, on the Winter Dance Party tour. Later in his career, he was well known as a radio news journalist and ended his career as the national news anchor for UPI Radio News.
Lounsbury retired to Tucson, Arizona in the early 1980s.

Ring a bell? I don't know what he looks like, but could google image and see if a pic from the show is around the net.

(Yes, I am probing mom and her SO for help, since they are a little older than Mr. Kyle. :) )
http://jimlounsbury.com/art/index_r03_c5.jpg

christine2448
07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
something to take into consideration-

LE is having a tough time determining what is actual memory for Mr. Kyle and what is learned. This is where it gets tricky determining what is a real memory...am I making sense?

bumping this post

Benjaman
07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
One more 'dumb' question. How do you pronounce Chicago?

Do you say "Chi cah' go" - with a broad A as in swan,
or "Chi Caw go"? like the way a hawks crow would sound. One is specific to the northern burbs or North of Chi town, the other the south burbs blue collar regions.

It may help.... there were also some Burger Chef locations in Waukegan and Schaumburg in the Chicago area's.

If I am in a formal situation a would be very careful to pronounce it properly(as a news anchorman might) In a casual I wo0uld get some amusement out of saying "chi-cah-ga":crazy:

Benjaman
07-31-2009, 11:14 PM
I understand what you are saying SS. I get cravings for my mothers home made meatballs even though I haven't had them in prolly 25 years. (When I was preggo, I started craving peas with vidalia onions which I hadn't had since childhood. Not that MR. Kyle is gonna have any preggo cravings, lol. ;). Just using that as an example of mmories of foods I was fond of as a child.
I sure hope that I am not going to have any "preggo" cravings! On the other hand, I could get back in the National Enquirer again - only this time I would have a lawyer to make sure that they followed through on their promises to pay me.:dance::dance:

Benjaman
07-31-2009, 11:20 PM
I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child. For example, while my family is of Polish decent, as an adult I developed a dislike for bland heavy foods. I had never tried many seafood dishes, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, and other foods as a child. Many of which I love now. I suppose if one was a picky eater as a child, they may or may not be a picky eater as an adult........ I'm from Chicago, I LOVE pickled eggs! Something more popular in the south- but I am not from, nor have I ever lived in the south. If Mr. Kyle worked in a restaurant, he would have been exposed to a variety of foods never made in his childhood home which would have influenced his food tastes based on what kind of food the restaurant served. As a manager he surely would have sampled all the foods on the menu. Hope this makes sense. :blowkiss:

I love Pickled eggs- The good ones almost develop a rind on them that you bite through. Savannah has bottled ones - they are not very good. Marsh Supermarkets used to make their own in the Deli department- they were GREAT!

hyldo
07-31-2009, 11:25 PM
I love Pickled eggs- The good ones almost develop a rind on them that you bite through. Savannah has bottled ones - they are not very good. Marsh Supermarkets used to make their own in the Deli department- they were GREAT!

Benjaman,

How did you know that Marsh made the pickled eggs in-store? Is there anything else that stands out in your mind about Marsh? Do you remember any specific store? Marsh's deli used to be great - practically everything was made fresh in-store. I think that now only the biggest Marsh stores still make their own deli products.

I used to work at a Marsh many moons ago. :)

Cubby
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
If I am in a formal situation a would be very careful to pronounce it properly(as a news anchorman might) In a casual I wo0uld get some amusement out of saying "chi-cah-ga":crazy:

OMG you have me laughing so hard! So hard my 6.5 yr old is still awake and asking me questions. OT- Drew Petersons attorney sounds like exactly like my uncle. I can't place it, being from DuPage county.... but there is that 'city' dialect. I kind of liken it to those of us from Chicago who would say Ca nook, instead of Ca nuck. ;) I corrected myself after learning from those in BC Canada.

I sent the email off to Bob Katz with R3? distributors, used to be AW Mendenhall..... before they were bought out.

Your response to the sports post kind of threw me..... The 'nascar' instead of Hockey... You were never a Black hawks fan, and most likely from somewhere in Indiana. ;)

off to finish reading. I am soooo glad you replied.

Cubby
08-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Benjaman,

How did you know that Marsh made the pickled eggs in-store? Is there anything else that stands out in your mind about Marsh? Do you remember any specific store? Marsh's deli used to be great - practically everything was made fresh in-store. I think that now only the biggest Marsh stores still make their own deli products.

Cool... I looked up Marsh, reminded me of the good old days, kind of.... but Marsh got into several other business's.

We had a Mr."one letter" -it's a one and only..... for who knows how long. They were known for finer meats, long after 'butcher stores' weren't so local. Across the street was the "flower" Bakery... where we went for "Poonchki's" ( what I heard of polish as a kid) or Paczki Day aka Polish Fat Tuesday. Which we called Bismarks.... not doughnuts if they were jelly filled.

Our local bakery was good, but not as good as some in the city....

It was funniest when I took my then 7 year old nephew for a paczki on fat tuesday... and at that age he tought EVERY tuesday was paczki day.

I wonder what kind of dougnuts, or meat markets, or good old fashioned 'drug stores' Mr. Kyle might recall... we had both woolworths and walgreens sit down at the table, and a few old drugs stores with the old shake machines.... and wow were they fun.. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to sit in a Rexall style 'drug store' for a home made milk shake.

SeriouslySearching
08-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Marsh Acquisition of O'Malia's Now Officially Complete
Publication: Retail Operations and Construction
Date: Wednesday, August 29 2001

~snip~

Marsh Supermarkets is one of the country's largest regional grocery chains, with 69 Marsh Supermarkets, 32 LoBill stores, two Savin*$, and 189 Village Pantry convenience stores in central Indiana and western Ohio.

http://www.allbusiness.com/construction/4266041-1.html

believe09
08-01-2009, 10:35 AM
O/T Pickled eggs with a RIND????

believe09
08-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Benjaman,

Does Mr. Kyle look familiar to you by any chance? :blowkiss:

hyldo
08-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Does Mr. Kyle look familiar to you by any chance? :blowkiss:

Oh how I wish! The Marsh factor almost certainly puts him in Central Indiana though. Marsh did try to expand a bit into Ohio and I think even some into Illinois, but they never caught on in those markets.

Kimster
08-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you Mr. Kyle for answering so many of our questions. Some of them had me smiling and laughing.

I'm gonna guess if you recall people talking about Dick Biondi's 'knock knock' joke, you must have been within the listening area of WLS am 890 at the time the joke was told on air. I guess I have some homework to do- and see if I can find out the date that joke was told on air, and how far the station broadcast during Biondi's show. that would give us a possible time and limit of area's you were in at the time.

I know AM radio broadcasts pretty far during the evening, and quite possibly covered a several state area.......

As for grits, I know they are sold in grocery stores in the Chicago area, so I imagine they aren't too hard to purchase.

ETA: WLS AM 890 could have been heard, hundreds if not a thousand miles away in the evenings, so it is unlikely this would specify an area.

I have never ever heard of the knock-knock joke and I have lived in the western states area all of my life. I would safely assume you were not on the west coast, Benjamin ;)

And a heartfelt WELCOME to Websleuths! :D

Cubby
08-04-2009, 06:12 AM
This is copied from the wiki page:

Kyle has memories of Indianapolis as a child, including the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers%27_and_Sailors%27_Monument_(Indianapolis) ), the Woolworth's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth%27s) on the Circle, and the Indiana Theater showing movies in Cinerama. He remembers Crown Hill Cemetery, though not its name; the Scottish Rite Cathedral; and the White River when "it was mostly just a dumping ground

Can you expand on any of these memories as there is very limited information at the wiki page, and I don't recall seeing the details posted here. For example, what do you remember about these places? Where they teen hang outs? Anything funny or offbeat about them-

say for example what was interesting about the Scottish Rite Cathedral? (I ask because locally we had a story about "peabody's tomb"- a source of 'ghost stories' and a place teens hung out)

or the Soldier's and Sailors' Monument? ( I remember a small local vietnam vet listing a few blocks from my childhood home, which was eventually removed due to vandalism and relocation of the town hall. We also had a very small local Memorial day parade, which passed my house as a young child.)

What about this particular Woolworths? (I remember a Walgreens and a Woolworths directly across the mall from from each other, both had sit the small sit down counter to have a meal... way back.... I remember walking a few miles to take the 313 bus to the mall... in an area that didn't really have 'public' transportation. ) That 313 bus was right near a Taco Bell - which was a teen hang out, and the guys used to climb up on the roof and unscrew the bell... and toss it in the parking lot. they got so tired of having to put that bell back up they finally thought to grease it so no one could twist it off....

I'm thinking about something odd or unusual.... which might help tie a location, or search for others sharing those same old memories....

or maybe something else you might like to discuss that hasn't been asked?

TY!

Cubby - who on an OT note FINALLY heard Dick Biondi's version of On top of a Pizza! See Benjaman, you're making a liar out of me. ;) As soon as I posted I had never heard the song... and I have been listening to him on and off for since 1983? I finally hear the song. You never know what we might stumble upon here for you case if you just put out whatever crosses your mind, even if casually. :)

SeriouslySearching
08-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Do you remember back to school shopping for clothes as a kid? It was always a traumatic event for my brother. LOL

carolwood
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
NB and BEN:
When you get a chance, please see the 50-60 yr. old thread #5, posts #265-266. I went through the 1930 census and posted Powells from KY, now living in INDIANAPOLIS. Thank you.

Benjaman
08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
O/T Pickled eggs with a RIND????

The longer the Hard Boiled Eggs(Hereinafter known as HBE'S) sit in the pickling brine, the harder the outside layer of the egg would get. The best Pickled HBE's(Hereinafter known as PHBE's) had sat in the brine for several weeks. You could even put food colouring in the brine and the eggs would come out bright red or green. This was great if you wanted to gross out someone by eating a coloured PHBE in front of them.
In case anyone is wondering, you do peel the eggs after boiling and before putting them in the brine.

Benjaman
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Cool... I looked up Marsh, reminded me of the good old days, kind of.... but Marsh got into several other business's.

We had a Mr."one letter" -it's a one and only..... for who knows how long. They were known for finer meats, long after 'butcher stores' weren't so local. Across the street was the "flower" Bakery... where we went for "Poonchki's" ( what I heard of polish as a kid) or Paczki Day aka Polish Fat Tuesday. Which we called Bismarks.... not doughnuts if they were jelly filled.

Our local bakery was good, but not as good as some in the city....

It was funniest when I took my then 7 year old nephew for a paczki on fat tuesday... and at that age he tought EVERY tuesday was paczki day.

I wonder what kind of dougnuts, or meat markets, or good old fashioned 'drug stores' Mr. Kyle might recall... we had both woolworths and walgreens sit down at the table, and a few old drugs stores with the old shake machines.... and wow were they fun.. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to sit in a Rexall style 'drug store' for a home made milk shake.

I remember Bismarks. the Best ones were custard filled and dusted with confectioner's sugar. I do not remember them in Colorado. In Georgia all you can get is Krystal Doughnuts and they are nothing but a grease laden doughball whose real purpose in life is to give you a heart attack.

Benjaman
08-06-2009, 08:37 PM
There is much speculation about foods that I like. I have very Catholic tastes(pun intended). Here is one recipe that I eat often. It is a very forgiving recipe, so the amounts do not matter a whole lot.
Oatmeal
Chicken base(do not use chicken bouillon)
Jalapeno peppers or Hot Sauce or red pepper flakes
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder
Just cook together until the oatmeal is done.
Some of you will not believe that I eat this, but I do-Just ask NB.

justthinkin
08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Benjaman!

I don't post much here because I have little knowlege of CO, and none of IN, and the only thing I know about food is how to cook it and eat it! I'm wondering though if you have any memories at all of having visited a foreign country, and if so, which one?

SeriouslySearching
08-06-2009, 09:06 PM
The longer the Hard Boiled Eggs(Hereinafter known as HBE'S) sit in the pickling brine, the harder the outside layer of the egg would get. The best Pickled HBE's(Hereinafter known as PHBE's) had sat in the brine for several weeks. You could even put food colouring in the brine and the eggs would come out bright red or green. This was great if you wanted to gross out someone by eating a coloured PHBE in front of them.
In case anyone is wondering, you do peel the eggs after boiling and before putting them in the brine.Try "pickling" them in jalapeno juice. Great on salads etc. I figured this out when my pregnancy craving was jalapenos in any way even on ice cream. LOL (I got the idea from eating PHBEs)

Cubby
08-06-2009, 09:21 PM
There is much speculation about foods that I like. I have very Catholic tastes(pun intended). Here is one recipe that I eat often. It is a very forgiving recipe, so the amounts do not matter a whole lot.
Oatmeal
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder

Oh my, I just laughed out loud reading this and my almost 7 year asked what was so funny, so I read this to him. Now this kid has an appetite that would compete with an old man in NY from the old country - my son is like Mikie, he likes everything, but he thought this sounded disgusting.

I'm lost on the Catholic thing.... Other than lamb cake at Easter, and no meat on fridays during lent, I don't remember any foods specifically being 'catholic'. ;) What about special foods for holidays?

I do remember my dad telling me my polish ancestors ate duck blood soup, and I was like oh no, that is one I simply could not try. (I think I would try chitlins first)

On a Catholic note, do you have any recollections of your first communion? Your confirmation? - such as confirmation name, or even your sponser? Anything in particular about your Catholic schooling? We had some nuns and then later brothers. We used to get away with wearing our uniforms too short, but that was the late 70's. I remember in 8th grade Sister Mary Estelle (complete nasty woman she was- and the school principal) locked a kindergartner in the storage closet for not finishing his lunch. He could have been hurt if the stacked chairs and tables had fallen on him. I told his teacher, who told me to mind my own business. I didn't know any better than, but I wish I would have known to find him after school and ask to talk to his mother to tell her what happened. Catholic school today- post all the sexual abuse that was exposed- is much different now than it was even 20 years ago. One of the preists, Father White, who was only at my school for a short time, was moved from school to school for abuse. (that was the 70's). So, I understand some of the bad memories.

Strawberry Fields
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Hello Benjamin. I am somewhat new to WS. I went back tonight and read through the threads here. I saw you have a possible memory of Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips. I do know for sure there was one of these in or near Jekyll Island, GA around 1974. I know this because I went there from Virginia with my mom, sister, brother-in-law and I do not eat seafood, fish of any kind and so my mom and I went next door to some kind of other restaurant while my sister and her husband went to AT F & C.

Speaking of my brother-in-law, he worked for a few years at Kenny's Drive-In and eventually managed a lot of them and I think they were only in Virginia with possibly one in West Virginia.

Also, there was a Burger Chef in Roanoke, VA, and both my husband and I believe they went out around 1974-75.

This same brother-in-law (passed away in 1992 sadly) but worked as a route salesman for S & D Coffee Company. If you have heard of S & D or Kenny's Drive In, I'll do a little more research to see exactly what states they covered. Thank you.

My husband is from Michigan and he thinks grits were mainly a southern food.

Cubby
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't mean to push or pry, so take this as just talking out loud if you wish Mr. Kyle

some of the memories of the restaurants were nationally known. I'm wondering what sticks out maybe just regional?

For example, in Chicago we have two major brands of hot dogs. Chicago Red Hot and Vienna. I will only eat Vienna if I have to ( the skins are too thick - yuck!) It's a sin to have catsup on a hot dog in the Chicago area and they will not put it on a hot dog with everything unless one asks.

We love our Italian beef! Portillos, has the (vienna) hotdogs and good Italian beef, but not as good as Johnny's beef on North Avenue in Elmwood park! The lines outside of Johnny's can wind around the block. The choice of peppers is also important, sweet or italian hot giardiniera ( I will take the giardiniera- and that oil is so good on portillo's french fries! )

when we had White Hen Pantry they used to have the soft cones called a Whippy Dip. Cock Robin had square ice cream cones, and obviously the butt of kids jokes.. there were only 5 or so locations, and only one still remains open to this day. Oberweiss is really good ice cream too.. they have expanded, but they were first operational in Aurora, Il.

I will be a little less specific for privacy reasons, but I remember a local candy store that made their own chocolate. They were as good if not better than Fannie May, and we could watch them poor the chocolate.

Other things that stick out to me are unusual bridges... say the ones on the road that are only one lane under the bridge, or an odd or unusual underpass walk way that stood out. Old limestone bridges.....

Strange commercials for grocery stores stick out too. In Chicago there is a "Moo and Oink" for the south side that specializes in african american foods... the commercials are funny and memorable. They only have two locations. And years ago, Cub Food had a commerical which was very quickly pulled because they had the cauliflower turn into a little old white lady and the eggplant turn into a little old black lady ( most people know that is a bad word in Italian for african americans). I remember my mouth dropping, thinking someone is getting fired for that commercial.

So I guess, I am just tossing out things that might bring back some fond, or funny memories.

Cubby
08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Being from the Chicago area, there always a lot to talk about political wise, even if one doesn't necessarily follow politics. The first mayor daily had his 'rumors', Jane Byrne was often made fun of, there were many rumors about Harold Washington when he was mayor of Chicago, and good old Mayor Daily junior has his quirks too.

Anything like that, that might be location specific?

dreamweaver
08-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Oatmeal
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Benjaman: I thought, what the heck, this concoction is like oatmeal hot spicy vegetable soup. I have never heard of this before. Maybe it is of your own making. But very filling I would think.
Pretty amusing. Thank you.

btw: In the Pacific NW, a lot of us add dried cranberries, raisins, nuts, to our oatmeal.

dreamweaver
08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I do not know anything about Indiana or Colorado or Illinois.
What I do know about is the 60's.
And I mean the 60's that did not include going to Woodstock.
While I had liberal leanings and would have marched at Selma, if it wasn't all the way across the country, I did not
protest, go to wild concerts, join any love-in's, or live in a commune.
(not that there is anything wrong with that)
I was married young, had children at a young age and lived in my same small hometown.
I did work on the college newspaper and had a chance to express my political and social feelings there.

My point in saying all that, is :
Benjaman:
1. I think you said that when JFK was shot, you remember being outside your school, maybe it was junior high?
2. Do you remember where you were when Kent State happened?
3. What about Woodstock?
4. Is there a memory of the Cuban missle crisis?

Cubby
08-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Good questions carolwood. I thought Mr. Kyle did say he remembered being outside a junior high building when JFK was assinated. With an estimated birth year and date of August 1948, that would only put him one year off with being in JH in Nov 63.

(I remember cut offs for kindergarten enrollment being Dec 1st in the 70's vs. the most often used Sept 1st these days, though a few states currently have later dob cutoffs for KG enrollment. What I remember about KG enrollment dates fluctuating meant a child could start KG anywhere from 4-6, but never 7 that I have found).

What about when Elvis died?
When John Lennon was assasinated?

Benjaman
08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Try "pickling" them in jalapeno juice. Great on salads etc. I figured this out when my pregnancy craving was jalapenos in any way even on ice cream. LOL (I got the idea from eating PHBEs)

Sliced Jalapenos on ice cream is good-Try adding them to the Ice cream when you are making it.

Benjaman
08-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Oh my, I just laughed out loud reading this and my almost 7 year asked what was so funny, so I read this to him. Now this kid has an appetite that would compete with an old man in NY from the old country - my son is like Mikie, he likes everything, but he thought this sounded disgusting.

I'm lost on the Catholic thing.... Other than lamb cake at Easter, and no meat on fridays during lent, I don't remember any foods specifically being 'catholic'. ;) What about special foods for holidays?

I do remember my dad telling me my polish ancestors ate duck blood soup, and I was like oh no, that is one I simply could not try. (I think I would try chitlins first)

On a Catholic note, do you have any recollections of your first communion? Your confirmation? - such as confirmation name, or even your sponser? Anything in particular about your Catholic schooling? We had some nuns and then later brothers. We used to get away with wearing our uniforms too short, but that was the late 70's. I remember in 8th grade Sister Mary Estelle (complete nasty woman she was- and the school principal) locked a kindergartner in the storage closet for not finishing his lunch. He could have been hurt if the stacked chairs and tables had fallen on him. I told his teacher, who told me to mind my own business. I didn't know any better than, but I wish I would have known to find him after school and ask to talk to his mother to tell her what happened. Catholic school today- post all the sexual abuse that was exposed- is much different now than it was even 20 years ago. One of the preists, Father White, who was only at my school for a short time, was moved from school to school for abuse. (that was the 70's). So, I understand some of the bad memories.
Catholic in this usage means "wide ranging". I was making a pun on the fact I was raised Catholic.

Benjaman
08-07-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't mean to push or pry, so take this as just talking out loud if you wish Mr. Kyle

some of the memories of the restaurants were nationally known. I'm wondering what sticks out maybe just regional?

For example, in Chicago we have two major brands of hot dogs. Chicago Red Hot and Vienna. I will only eat Vienna if I have to ( the skins are too thick - yuck!) It's a sin to have catsup on a hot dog in the Chicago area and they will not put it on a hot dog with everything unless one asks.

We love our Italian beef! Portillos, has the (vienna) hotdogs and good Italian beef, but not as good as Johnny's beef on North Avenue in Elmwood park! The lines outside of Johnny's can wind around the block. The choice of peppers is also important, sweet or italian hot giardiniera ( I will take the giardiniera- and that oil is so good on portillo's french fries! )

when we had White Hen Pantry they used to have the soft cones called a Whippy Dip. Cock Robin had square ice cream cones, and obviously the butt of kids jokes.. there were only 5 or so locations, and only one still remains open to this day. Oberweiss is really good ice cream too.. they have expanded, but they were first operational in Aurora, Il.

I will be a little less specific for privacy reasons, but I remember a local candy store that made their own chocolate. They were as good if not better than Fannie May, and we could watch them poor the chocolate.

Other things that stick out to me are unusual bridges... say the ones on the road that are only one lane under the bridge, or an odd or unusual underpass walk way that stood out. Old limestone bridges.....

Strange commercials for grocery stores stick out too. In Chicago there is a "Moo and Oink" for the south side that specializes in african american foods... the commercials are funny and memorable. They only have two locations. And years ago, Cub Food had a commerical which was very quickly pulled because they had the cauliflower turn into a little old white lady and the eggplant turn into a little old black lady ( most people know that is a bad word in Italian for african americans). I remember my mouth dropping, thinking someone is getting fired for that commercial.

So I guess, I am just tossing out things that might bring back some fond, or funny memories.

I never heard of Chicago Red Hot but Vienna's are great. Their is a following for them across the country.

Benjaman
08-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Hello Benjamin. I am somewhat new to WS. I went back tonight and read through the threads here. I saw you have a possible memory of Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips. I do know for sure there was one of these in or near Jekyll Island, GA around 1974. I know this because I went there from Virginia with my mom, sister, brother-in-law and I do not eat seafood, fish of any kind and so my mom and I went next door to some kind of other restaurant while my sister and her husband went to AT F & C.

Speaking of my brother-in-law, he worked for a few years at Kenny's Drive-In and eventually managed a lot of them and I think they were only in Virginia with possibly one in West Virginia.

Also, there was a Burger Chef in Roanoke, VA, and both my husband and I believe they went out around 1974-75.

This same brother-in-law (passed away in 1992 sadly) but worked as a route salesman for S & D Coffee Company. If you have heard of S & D or Kenny's Drive In, I'll do a little more research to see exactly what states they covered. Thank you.

My husband is from Michigan and he thinks grits were mainly a southern food.

Grits are Great. I have eaten them all of my life-without sugar. Southerners like to make fun of Yankees who put sugar on their grits, but I have seen lots of Southerners do it.
Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips was part of a restaurant industry fad that went through the country in the seventies. KFC's version was H.Salt Fish & Chips. Everyone was opening fish and chips restaurants all across the country. There are some Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips still in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that the only chain, of any size, that is left is Long John Silvers.
S & D sounds familiar but I never heard of Kenny's.

Julessleuther
08-07-2009, 02:42 AM
O/T Catholic and Polish Cubby? You and I could be twins, LOL!! Na zdowie! All these food questions got me thinking...

Benjaman: Do you remember any ethnic food traditions growing up? The Polish always have fish, pierogis, babka, golabki (cabbage rolls). Italian food is homemade sauce, pastas, pesto, breads, pastries. If you were German- sauerbraten, spatzele, red cabbage and sauerkraut were staples; the Irish have corn beef, lamb stew, and soda bread. Any particular foods you remember that may have been ethnic traditions?

How about holiday traditions? Most Catholic Polish have oplatki and fish on Christmas eve. Many italians have fish and pasta only before mass, and then a big feast after. Any favorite Christmas cookies? My ukrainian stepmother makes kolachke, and a Polish favorite is chruschici. My german grandmother made apple strudel. Do you remember making Christmas cookies or any special gifts you received for Christmas? Did you celebrate St. Nicholas day (Dec 6th)? Did you sing in the church choir or ring bells?

Cubby
08-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Grits are Great. I have eaten them all of my life-without sugar. Southerners like to make fun of Yankees who put sugar on their grits, but I have seen lots of Southerners do it.
Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips was part of a restaurant industry fad that went through the country in the seventies. KFC's version was H.Salt Fish & Chips. Everyone was opening fish and chips restaurants all across the country. There are some Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips still in Jacksonville, Florida. I think that the only chain, of any size, that is left is Long John Silvers.
S & D sounds familiar but I never heard of Kenny's.

Who in their right mind puts sugar on grits? From Chicago and I eat them with butter and salt. (and no, I will not try them with jalepeno's "Iron Stomach Benjaman". ;))

I remember Arthur Treachers- greasy, but one of the first places I would try seafood, AT was also a 'national' chain. I would stop at a long john silvers if I knew were one was....Red Lobster is/was much better for a seafood chain. ;) Being from Chicago, and liking to try different food.

It's become a 'no no' of mine to eat at a chain restaurant, or if it is a chain- a chain outside of the local area. (If I can help it) Nothing beats the local "home made" food, especially the local 'hole in the wall- no atmosphere to speak of' - but fantastic food!

Cubby
08-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Sliced Jalapenos on ice cream is good-Try adding them to the Ice cream when you are making it.

Hence the nick name, "Iron Stomach Benjaman". and I thought some of the concotions my son came up with, where stomach turning. He put hot peppers ( a few we had left over from a side) into a vegetable/fruit salad he made all by himself.

Benjaman
08-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Hence the nick name, "Iron Stomach Benjaman". and I thought some of the concotions my son came up with, where stomach turning. He put hot peppers ( a few we had left over from a side) into a vegetable/fruit salad he made all by himself.

Good For Him!

believe09
08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
In case anyone is wondering, you do peel the eggs after boiling and before putting them in the brine.

Oatmeal
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder

I would like to ask for a moment of silence to mourn the demise of Benjaman's tastebuds at some point in his life...(just kidding...really.)

My kids will put tabasco on anything...

carolwood
08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Okay, no sugar on grits. But I do have a friend who puts sugar in her tuna salad, and also puts sugar on saltines and milk. I myself prefer ritz with milk. And as for the Japapenos, I love them. Can do without the tabasco, and I live here.
Oatmeal, with milk, sugar and cinnamon for me. Don't care much for the instant packs of the oatmeal, just not the same, but will eat it in a rush.
And, give me a ribeye over t-bone or filet mignon. I love ribeyes, especially griled with teriyaki and butter. Man has that went up in cost in the last 5 years! Okay, so now you all have got me hungry. LOL.

And since you like gumbo with tomatoes, how would you make your base for the gumbo? Like it dark or lite? Or do you prefer the roux in the jar?

I like pickled eggs, especially quail eggs, maybe cause they are small, they taste about the same as a chicken egg pickled.

SeriouslySearching
08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
With the way you mix up the tastes and your concoctions, it makes me wonder if you weren't a chef at some point. (Most normal men would not know the difference between a chicken base and bouillon or even how to spell bouillon. LOL) It would also explain your vast knowledge of restaurant fixtures and features. There are great culinary programs in Colorado including Denver.

How handy are you with the kitchen knives? This is quite an art which you could find to be second nature if you were well trained.

Boyz_Mum
08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Believe it or not, there are a few recipes online for "oatmeal soup". (I'm still not convinced it's something I'd like to try, but in a way it's not much different from a barley soup.)

I'm interested in the food angle because I wonder if in any way it could be helpful. At one time, lots of neighborhoods and areas were somewhat ethnic. The neighborhood I grew up in was mostly people who came over from Germany, so there was a lot of struedel, kraut, etc...

Do you feel a certain "kinship" with any particular ethnicity? Do your food choices come from memory or have you developed a lot of new tastes (in your opinion?)

carolwood
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Believe it or not, there are a few recipes online for "oatmeal soup". (I'm still not convinced it's something I'd like to try, but in a way it's not much different from a barley soup.)

I'm interested in the food angle because I wonder if in any way it could be helpful. At one time, lots of neighborhoods and areas were somewhat ethnic. The neighborhood I grew up in was mostly people who came over from Germany, so there was a lot of struedel, kraut, etc...

Do you feel a certain "kinship" with any particular ethnicity? Do your food choices come from memory or have you developed a lot of new tastes (in your opinion?)

I actually did a quick search last nite and found this: and, she's from ALABAMA...

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/gruel.html

SeriouslySearching
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I actually did a quick search last nite and found this: and, she's from ALABAMA...

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/gruel.htmlI didn't know that "sop" was really a word until I read this. LOL I thought it was only what my grandmother taught me and was her word since I had not heard anyone else use it. I learn something new every day about my Southern roots. ;)

So Benjaman...when was the last time you "sopped"? LOL

carolwood
08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I didn't know that "sop" was really a word until I read this. LOL I thought it was only what my grandmother taught me and was her word since I had not heard anyone else use it. I learn something new every day about my Southern roots. ;)

I use the term also SS. LOL

SeriouslySearching
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
It reminds me of my grandmother's funny southern phrases, too. "Excuse a hog...a pig would know better" is one I taught my grands. hehehe

I know southern women have a ton of them and maybe your roots began in the south with your mother or grandmother. My grandmother was from the deep south which is where her phrases originated for the most part.

Are there any phrases you catch yourself using which are odd to other people?

dreamweaver
08-07-2009, 08:20 PM

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/gruel.html------
--------------------------------------------

And here all along I thought that was potato soup.
My parents were from the South and we ate a lot of southern style food.

btw: love potato soup.

dreamweaver
08-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I use the term also SS. LOL
---------------------------------------------------

sop: It is a word I use as well.

Boyz_Mum
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
---------------------------------------------------

sop: It is a word I use as well.

We "sop up" gravy with bread. Is it the same thing?

SeriouslySearching
08-08-2009, 12:10 AM
We "sop up" gravy with bread. Is it the same thing?Yes. Exactly! LOL

Sorry, Benjaman~ I took your thread way off topic here.

Benjaman
08-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I didn't know that "sop" was really a word until I read this. LOL I thought it was only what my grandmother taught me and was her word since I had not heard anyone else use it. I learn something new every day about my Southern roots. ;)

Remember, you can also throw a sop to the Hoi Polloi. Don't tell anyone, but I use the dictionary-it makes me seem erudite.

Benjaman
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Good production values. They did a nice job of making this video short.

Benjaman
08-08-2009, 04:29 PM
With the way you mix up the tastes and your concoctions, it makes me wonder if you weren't a chef at some point. (Most normal men would not know the difference between a chicken base and bouillon or even how to spell bouillon. LOL) It would also explain your vast knowledge of restaurant fixtures and features. There are great culinary programs in Colorado including Denver.

How handy are you with the kitchen knives? This is quite an art which you could find to be second nature if you were well trained.

My knife work needs work.:crazy:

Benjaman
08-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I would like to ask for a moment of silence to mourn the demise of Benjaman's tastebuds at some point in his life...(just kidding...really.)

My kids will put tabasco on anything...
If we are going to have a funeral, can I have a copy of the Death Certificate ? I will turn it in to the Social Security Administration and collect my own death benefits.

Benjaman
08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Yes. Exactly! LOL

Sorry, Benjaman~ I took your thread way off topic here.
As long as we are talking about thread, I ripped my shirt and have a need to sew it.

Boyz_Mum
08-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Remember, you can also throw a sop to the Hoi Polloi. Don't tell anyone, but I use the dictionary-it makes me seem erudite.

Thanks, now I have to get out my dictionary. :waitasec:

SeriouslySearching
08-09-2009, 04:20 AM
I have it figured out now! You were a comedian! :D

You were definitely on a roll earlier, Benjaman. So we figured out you have a shirt that needs mending, your knife skills need sharpening, and you cheat by using a dictionary. Your perspicaciousness is astounding for a man with little memory. :winkaway:

Now there you could be onto something with the death certificate thing. If they "killed you off" as an unknown then reinstated you as a newborn...this could work. LOL

Back to business...I liked the Noddy books by Enid Blyton as a child. We are about the same age and I thought maybe these books may look familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noddy_(character)

Boyz_Mum
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
SS, this link has a picture of the "Noddy" books (I couldn't find too much on wiki.)

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/character-books.php

RJA00
08-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I have watched a lot of the forensic file shows
some are probably running together in my head

but, didn't i see one were they can a run a pic through a data base to see if any match

Could they run your photo through the dmv I guess they would have to do all 52 states unless there is a national driver license data base

if this is not possible im sorry, I may of got a couple of shows mixed up

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I have it figured out now! You were a comedian! :D

You were definitely on a roll earlier, Benjaman. So we figured out you have a shirt that needs mending, your knife skills need sharpening, and you cheat by using a dictionary. Your perspicaciousness is astounding for a man with little memory. :winkaway:

Now there you could be onto something with the death certificate thing. If they "killed you off" as an unknown then reinstated you as a newborn...this could work. LOL

Back to business...I liked the Noddy books by Enid Blyton as a child. We are about the same age and I thought maybe these books may look familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noddy_(character (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noddy_%28character))

I never heard of them.

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I have watched a lot of the forensic file shows
some are probably running together in my head

but, didn't i see one were they can a run a pic through a data base to see if any match

Could they run your photo through the dmv I guess they would have to do all 52 states unless there is a national driver license data base

if this is not possible im sorry, I may of got a couple of shows mixed up

This being done- Indiana came up negative-But they only started putting pictures on drivers licenses in 1994

SeriouslySearching
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Oklahoma would be of no help in that department either. They only started a database 4-5 years ago for the photos on DLs and IDs.

SeriouslySearching
08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Have you ever heard of Grand Lake, Jamil's, the "White House" restaurant, or Braum's ice cream?

Boyz_Mum
08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I ran across a story about Granby CO, I'm curious if it's something you may remember?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/06/05/bulldozer.rampage/

The bulldozer rampage made headlines, above link is from CNN.

carolwood
08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Oatmeal
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder

Okay, I did a small, very small survey with friends from Indianapolis and Connersville, Indiana about this dish. None have every heard of this dish.

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Have you ever heard of Grand Lake, Jamil's, the "White House" restaurant, or Braum's ice cream?

Grand Lake-Mountain Town?
White House restaurant in Lakewood on West Alameda (I Think) They Served Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Never heard of Braum,s

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I ran across a story about Granby CO, I'm curious if it's something you may remember?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/06/05/bulldozer.rampage/

The bulldozer rampage made headlines, above link is from CNN.
I do not remember ever reading this story.

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 07:36 PM
White House restaurant in Lakewood on West Alameda (I Think) They Served Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Never heard of Braum,s

I never Heard of Jamil's either.

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I should have said that the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is Handling the search for the other states but can only do the states that have the same software for storing their driver's license photographs. The Indiana BMV deserves a big hand. They have one from me.

SeriouslySearching
08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Never heard of Braum,sGrand Lake is in NE Oklahoma and is our premier lake. Braum's is a regional outlet for Dairy products. The "White House" was a staple in OKC back in the day. Jamil's is a Lebanese Steak House that has been around forever and everyone from Tulsa knows the name.

I was just checking to see if any of those places rang a bell. ;)

Benjaman
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Okay, I did a small, very small survey with friends from Indianapolis and Connersville, Indiana about this dish. None have every heard of this dish.

I doubt if you will learn of many other people doing this to their oatmeal. Every person whom I have told that I put hot sauce or anything else on my oatmeal look as if they want to throw up.
I do not care though, if the Scots can mix oatmeal with blood and cook it in a cow's stomach (Haggis), I can dam well put whatever I want in my oatmeal. LOL, LOL:crazy:

Boyz_Mum
08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Never heard of Braum,s

I asked the same thing about Grand Lake. I didn't know what a Rocky Mountain Oyster was until some of those Coloradans told me. :sick:

Did you ever visit Grand Lake that you remember? Beautiful area up there.

SeriouslySearching
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I doubt if you will learn of many other people doing this to their oatmeal. Every person whom I have told that I put hot sauce or anything else on my oatmeal look as if they want to throw up.
I do not care though, if the Scots can mix oatmeal with blood and cook it in a cow's stomach (Haggis), I can dam well put whatever I want in my oatmeal. LOL, LOL:crazy:I'll try it! I love to experience new tastes and concoctions, but I am out on trying the Haggis. LOL Maybe I will whip up your oatmeal recipe soon. I love most anything spicy.

ETA: I love Rocky Mountain Oysters. Tastes like chicken mcnuggets. LOL

hyldo
08-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Benjaman,

Do you remember Waffle House in Indiana? I'm not talking about the southern chain with the logo shown below, but the local Indiana chain that was completely different?

The Waffle House I am asking about does NOT use this logo!
http://pages.prodigy.net/bote/waffle/whlogo2.jpg

CrankyPants
08-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Never heard of Braum,s

FYI: I lived in Lakewood from 1979-1989 and these are the same answers I would have provided! :)

It's funny the question was about another state entirely.

carolwood
08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I do not care though, if the Scots can mix oatmeal with blood and cook it in a cow's stomach (Haggis), I can dam well put whatever I want in my oatmeal. LOL, LOL:crazy:

I like red boudin(blood boudin), hogheads cheese, and chitlin's. It's all in what we acquire a taste for.

I did read alot of different oatmeal recipes with veggies, chicken stock, etc., and none had the same ingredients as what you like, but I am still looking, just to get an idea of what part of the country it may have came from.

I remember as a child making fresh boudin, sausage, and hogheads cheese. My great grandmother would set up the table with the old hand cranked grinder and my brother and I would take turns grinding the meat and mixing and stuffing. We used a old cow horn to stuff the "treps" as she would call it. My great grandmother didn't speak English, only cajun French.

SeriouslySearching
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I am interested to hear from your perspective about the taping for the documentary. Was it worse than being grilled by us? LOL James seemed to indicate it went well. Can you give us some insider information? ;)

mkath59
08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Braum's is an ice cream/dairy chain in Texas.

Benjaman
08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I am interested to hear from your perspective about the taping for the documentary. Was it worse than being grilled by us? LOL James seemed to indicate it went well. Can you give us some insider information? ;)

James did like the taping(except for the "crunch" when I bit Jalapeno pepper) and said everything went well.
Mostly I am just glad that this first part is over. I do not like appearing on camera. I think that I worry about how I am going to appear to the viewers. I do not want to look as if I am just spouting replies by rote. I have answered most of these question many times and have to repeat the answers each time, whenever someone new interviews me.

Benjaman
08-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Benjaman,

Do you remember Waffle House in Indiana? I'm not talking about the southern chain with the logo shown below, but the local Indiana chain that was completely different?

The Waffle House I am asking about does NOT use this logo!
http://pages.prodigy.net/bote/waffle/whlogo2.jpg

I do not remember any Waffle Houses in Indiana and the only Waffle House chain that I know of is the one that you printed the logo to.

Benjaman
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I'll try it! I love to experience new tastes and concoctions, but I am out on trying the Haggis. LOL Maybe I will whip up your oatmeal recipe soon. I love most anything spicy.

ETA: I love Rocky Mountain Oysters. Tastes like chicken mcnuggets. LOL

Rocky Mountain Oysters may taste like chicken, but I do not think that Chicken McNuggets even qualify as chicken.

Benjaman
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Grand Lake is in NE Oklahoma and is our premier lake. Braum's is a regional outlet for Dairy products. The "White House" was a staple in OKC back in the day. Jamil's is a Lebanese Steak House that has been around forever and everyone from Tulsa knows the name.

I was just checking to see if any of those places rang a bell. ;)
Well! They certainly rang a bell but I think, it was not the bell that you were hoping for. I guess that means that I was hearing a bell of another tone. Does that mean that I am tone deaf?

Benjaman
08-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I asked the same thing about Grand Lake. I didn't know what a Rocky Mountain Oyster was until some of those Coloradans told me. :sick:

Did you ever visit Grand Lake that you remember? Beautiful area up there.
I have never been to a Grand lake anywhere that I can remember.
Some people think that Rocky Mountain Oysters come from Hogs but I always thought of them as being from steers.

christine2448
08-14-2009, 12:56 PM
NASCAR

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Can you guess what my 'hat' means?? ;)

OT I know..couldn't help me self!

imamaze
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Hello Mr. Kyle J

We have the Indiana version of Waffle House on West Washington St. Indianapolis, Indiana. The Indianapolis –based restaurant chain had the Waffle House naming rights in Indiana, the other Waffle House with the yellow sign had to call itself Waffle & Steak in Indiana. The Waffle House with the yellow sign now has naming rights all over including Indiana because the Indianapolis based Waffle House sold the naming rights to the other chain. In Indianapolis the Waffle House on West Washington St. is the only remaining Waffle House, the owner made an agreement with the yellow-signed Waffle House that allowed him to keep the name.

My husband and I own and operate a business on W. Washington St. not far from the Waffle House. Do you have any memories of possibly camping? Or having a truck with a camper shell on it? We sell RV parts and accessories , along with Truck caps and Truck Accessories. We’ve been in business since 1977 but the place has been in business since 1957 before us selling trailers for camping and supplies. I just thought I would mention it, thought it might trigger a memory? Its very nice to hear from you, I read here a lot, just don’t have a lot to say J

SeriouslySearching
08-15-2009, 04:21 AM
James did like the taping(except for the "crunch" when I bit Jalapeno pepper) and said everything went well.
Mostly I am just glad that this first part is over. I do not like appearing on camera. I think that I worry about how I am going to appear to the viewers. I do not want to look as if I am just spouting replies by rote. I have answered most of these question many times and have to repeat the answers each time, whenever someone new interviews me.LOL Yes, I can see how you crunching on a pepper could be distracting during taping.

I find you do quite well on camera for someone who is not known to have any experience being in the spotlight from what I have seen so far. You come off as sincere, very much a gentleman, and intelligent. I hope the documentary will capture your sense of humor to go along with all the rest of those fine qualities! :D Keep a supply of those peppers handy.

I do see how it can get rather dry for you to answer those questions repeatedly and why you may worry about how it sounds to the viewer, but it is like having a script to follow which isn't a bad thing. It means the answers will be concise and already pared down for the greatest impact. Every word becomes important when you are limited. I am sure you did great!

Now about those Mountain Oysters...I have never heard of them coming from a hog. LOL

You are right. It wasn't the bell I wanted to ring, but I will try to keep coming up with off the wall things. I don't think you are tone deaf yet...can you sing? ;)

hyldo
08-15-2009, 08:18 AM
We have the Indiana version of Waffle House on West Washington St. Indianapolis, Indiana. The Indianapolis –based restaurant chain had the Waffle House naming rights in Indiana, the other Waffle House with the yellow sign had to call itself Waffle & Steak in Indiana. . .

Imamaze,

Considering that Benjaman doesn't remember the old Indiana-based Waffle House, this makes me think that his time in Indiana was either in the 1970s or earlier (or 1990s or later), or that he was from the northern part of the state. In the late 70s and throughout the 80s, Waffle House was everywhere in Central Indiana. I know the one you're talking about, and there used to be another not too far away on 16th Street. They were all over Indy and the surrounding counties, as well as into Southern Indiana. There is still one of the old Indiana-based Waffle Houses open in Bloomington, and just yesterday I was surprised to see another old Indiana Waffle House that appeared to still be in business in Seymour.

SeriouslySearching
08-15-2009, 08:33 AM
We still have Waffle House restaurants in OK using the yellow sign. They have been here for a very long time.

carolwood
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Found this site and thought this may bring up some memories for you.

http://indianarestaurants.org/HallOfFame.asp

Maybe you knew some of these or the people who owned them. Also, if you click on the news button, there is a archived section. It does have happening of 2004 in it and I am sure prior to 2004.

Cubby
08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I wonder if you have any memories of the 6 Chicago Bulls championships. If so, that might help with a location or place during the 90's.

dreamweaver
08-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Have you ever been able to go to Indianapolis since Aug. 31, 2004?

edit: Thanks to Cubby, a gentle reminder that Benjaman had the FBI and Homeland Security
escort him to travel to Dr Phil show and that he does not have a driver's license.

oops.

Boyz_Mum
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Benjaman, you have said you do not ski. I am curious as to whether or not you have any type of sports, that you seem to favor now? E.G., do you see a basketball game and feel like you should "jump in"? (Same with football, baseball, etc...?)

The same question applies in the kitchen. When someone is in there cooking, do you feel a certain urgency to "jump in" and assist them?

I'd bet that you've answered these type of questions before, I don't know anything about amnesia, but pray a part of you "shouts out" when something certain seems to introduce itself intuitively (sp?).

Thank you for being patient with the questions that have been asked of you! :blowkiss:

SeriouslySearching
08-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Any plans for your birthday yet?

Benjaman
08-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Benjaman, you have said you do not ski. I am curious as to whether or not you have any type of sports, that you seem to favor now? E.G., do you see a basketball game and feel like you should "jump in"? (Same with football, baseball, etc...?)

The same question applies in the kitchen. When someone is in there cooking, do you feel a certain urgency to "jump in" and assist them?

I'd bet that you've answered these type of questions before, I don't know anything about amnesia, but pray a part of you "shouts out" when something certain seems to introduce itself intuitively (sp?).

Thank you for being patient with the questions that have been asked of you! :blowkiss:
I would never "butt into" someone's Kitchen without their express permission. I am a couch potato-I would rather read a book than play "sports".

Benjaman
08-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Any plans for your birthday yet?
no, no

SeriouslySearching
08-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Well...we should plan a party right here. I will bring the cake and ice cream. You can rent the movie. :)

What kind of movies do you like? Are you one of those action type guys? Do you suffer chick flicks well? What is your favorite movie? Actor? Actress?

Boyz_Mum
08-25-2009, 01:05 AM
I would never "butt into" someone's Kitchen without their express permission. I am a couch potato-I would rather read a book than play "sports".

What types of books do you like to read? (Off the wall question and not at all pertinent.) I do believe that you will find your true identity someday (soon). When you do, do you think you would be inclined to write a book about the experiences you've had with amnesia?

I'm glad you don't "butt into" anyone's kitchen~ that sounds a little gross.:crazy:

carolwood
08-29-2009, 01:46 AM
:HappyBday :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Benjaman, wishing you a very good one! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

4783 :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Cubby
08-29-2009, 02:24 AM
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Benjaman Happy birthday to you.

How old are you, How old are you?
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday,
Happy Birthday to you.

May the dear Lord bless you
Shower graces on you,
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday,
Happy Birthday to you!

Trying to wish you Happy Birthday in Polish!

The closest saying to the English "Happy Birthday" is "Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji urodzin" as people have been saying. It literally means "(I wish you-understood)all the best from the occasion of (your-understood) birthday. This is not sung like happy birthday is- instead Poles sing "Sto Lat" (One Hundred Years). It is sung at all occasions of a specific person- such as name days, anniverseries, etc.
Source(s):

I'm Polish
-------------------------------- end of yahoo answers

Me too!

Seriously Mr Kyle, I wish whatever you wish this weekend. Whatever makes you happy, brings you peace and in whatever brings you joy. Kick back, have some jalepenos's with a candle! would that work? and just enjoy your weekend.

:birthday:

Kentjbkent
08-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Carolwood,

This may seem like a really strange question to you, but I couldn't figure it out reading the previous posts....why the reference to ALABAMA? (I have a reason for asking...)

carolwood
08-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Carolwood,

This may seem like a really strange question to you, but I couldn't figure it out reading the previous posts....why the reference to ALABAMA? (I have a reason for asking...) On page 5 of this thread, post 108:
Benjaman wrote:
Oatmeal
Frozen Vegetables
Onion
Garlic powder
---------------------------------------------------------------

I had never heard of oatmeal eaten this way. So I searched for it on the internet and this site came up, so I posted it as an example of how people do eat oatmeal. Her recipe is simular to Benjaman's and she is from Alabama.

Now I have eaten rice gruel as a child, but never the oatmeal. But being from Louisiana, we eat lots of rice, medium grain, white. Most of us don't like long grain, right? Just doesn't cook well for us, lol.

SeriouslySearching
08-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Happy Birthday, Benjaman~ I hope your day was bright and cheerful. Many happy wishes to you. :)

I lit a candle for you, but instead of cake...I had a KitKat bar. ;)

carolwood
08-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Also, my hubby's side has ties to Alabama, Kansas, Florida, Texas, and Mississippi, but he doesn't every remember eating oatmeal with veggies.

christine2448
08-30-2009, 12:49 AM
(I have a reason for asking...)

And the reason is?

OkGrace
08-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Happy Belated Birthday Benjaman.
I check up on your threads often and wish you the best!

Kentjbkent
08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
And the reason is?

I am working on a VERY loose theory that had a connection to the state of Alabama and while doing more catchup reading this morning, read the post referring to ALABAMA and just wondered if there was some other link that I had not read about yet...

Cubby
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Do you remember a Clancy burger? What's a clancy burger?
Just made contact with my old 're-de' guy from Indy, that I worked with for a few months back in 90'. He only remembered me when I told him who I replaced.... I did get an email to make contact... which wasn't bad for a smie luke warm cold call from someone he once worked with almost 20 years ago.

And of course the Clancy burger rolled out after I mentioned burger chef.

Said he knew a few 'old timers' in the bus. who worked with or did bus. with Clancy burgers.

I hope that helps....
Anything you can recall about Burger Chef, or any paper and plastics with the restaurant industry would help.

thanks!

Benjaman
09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Dear Web Sleuthers,
Thank you one and all for the many Birthday greetings. I very much appreciate your caring thoughts.
Thankfully yours
Benjaman Kyle

Julessleuther
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Benjamin-- I am helping my sister plan her wedding; she lives in the Denver area, and I suddenly thought of something today.

Aspen, CO hosts a huge food and wine festival every year, called the Food and Wine Classic. It is hosted by Food and Wine Magazine. It is one of the biggest food events each yr for people in the food and restaurant industry, as well as regular foodies. Many famous chefs speak and hold seminars at the three day event.

Do you ever remember going to this, and if so, do you remember any of the speakers you saw there? Also, do you like to cook yourself, and do you have any specialty dishes (other than the oatmeal LOL)

Roselvr
10-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Dear Web Sleuthers,
Thank you one and all for the many Birthday greetings. I very much appreciate your caring thoughts.
Thankfully yours
Benjaman Kyle

Belated Happy Birthday.
It's nice to see you here. While I haven't been here in months, I've thought of you often. I hope this is the year that you figure it out.
I love your sense of humor.
Hang in there.

Roselvr
10-09-2009, 09:03 AM

It was addressed. X-rays did not show any. If there are any they would have to remove the screw to examine it-I will not allow that to happen.

May I chime in?
I also wondered about numbers - forget it.
I was told that usually the package is numbered, not necessarily the pins.
From what I've found out from 2 of my Drs, he'd end up disfigured; and it would probably be for nothing.

The Blizzard of 1967- the greatest amount of snowfall in 24 hours in Chicago's history. 23" in 24 hours. It pretty much shut down the city for days. the NW area of Indiana would have also been affected, and was often affected by 'Lake Effect' snow. You may recall this event

Back in the early 70's we had a really bad flood in Watchung, NJ. My dad's gas station was underwater. There is a car dealer down the street, the flood was so bad, it carried cars away from the dealers lot.

we had both woolworths and walgreens sit down at the table, and a few old drugs stores with the old shake machines.... and wow were they fun.. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to sit in a Rexall style 'drug store' for a home made milk shake.

We had a store called Grants.

I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child.

I wasn't exposed to a lot of foods growing up; and as an adult, would not try a lot of the stuff you listed.

Take spaghetti sauce; I'm not Italian, it wasn't something we ate a lot of, not one of my favorite tastes as an adult. Also the cheeses that go into Italian. I can't be around Parmesan.

My parents came here in the 50's from Hungary.
I've wondered if Ben's parents were similar, where they came to the US from another country.

Thanks for stating it so nicely SS-perhaps we can also give him a pass on questions he likely has either considered or has been asked numerous times before so he doesn't feel like he is being pressured to repeat himself.

I myself do not expect Ben to answer everything.
I understand that some may be uncomfortable; or time consuming.
Perhaps even reading some and speaking to NB while he is reading may jog something that he can privately share with her; then she can follow up on it.

You sound like us. The hotter the food the better.
My son loves Franks Hot Sauce on everything.
Jalapenos used to be me until my taste buds changed.

I grew up with Hungarian peppers. They are a yellow pepper, have a really nice, sweet, but hottish taste. My dad used to make scrambled eggs on Sunday mornings. He'd fry up bacon, then used to take bread and fry the bread in the bacon grease, then add garlic powder (or garlic salt) to the fried bread. He'd then fry up the onions & peppers, add the eggs. He'd also add bacon pieces.

My dad had a habit of dipping everything in salt. He'd have a pile of salt on his plate, dip his bread and whatever else in the salt.

Your taste buds remind me of him.

We didn't do grits, Farina was what we ate up here.

Curious, ever has an Italian hot dog? There's a family owned chain here in NJ called Jimmy Buffs. They take hot dogs, potato wedges, onion & sausage & fry it all up in the same grease. They'd then put it on a round flat bread. The Jimmy Buff's dogs are pretty huge & very greasy.

Best photos I could find here (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/billyboy71_2006/NJ%20Hot%20Dog%20Tour%202009/IMG_0126.jpg) - and here (http://www.jimmybuff.com/images/sandwich1.jpg) - this is how they cook them Big Frier (http://www.hollyeats.com/JimmyBuffs.htm)

dreamweaver
10-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Benjaman:
Would you allow one person at WS, perhaps believe09, to read over your
medical records? Or at least your first few days after being found?

Do you have a copy of the original police report, if there was one?
If so, would you allow believe09 or someone at WS to read it over?

If not, were you ever able to interview the policemen who responded to the 911 call that day?
Thanks.

Wendy101
10-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you smoke or chew tobacco ?

Wendy101
10-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I notice some pics from the Enquirer that you were wearing a baseball cap. Do you wear baseball caps often?

Roselvr
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I notice some pics from the Enquirer that you were wearing a baseball cap. Do you wear baseball caps often?

That was my question when I finally got the article and posted the picture.
I wondered if he wore the cap plus the flannel shirts & jeans.

He takes on a different look with the different clothes.

Benjaman
10-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Do you smoke or chew tobacco ?
I used to smoke,but quit many years ago. You used to be able to buy Cigarettes really cheap (generic) in Denver. Carton's were $3.00

Benjaman
10-14-2009, 08:00 PM
That was my question when I finally got the article and posted the picture.
I wondered if he wore the cap plus the flannel shirts & jeans.

He takes on a different look with the different clothes.
I usually wear BB caps. How did you find the article? I have been trying to find a digital copy of it but have had no luck.

Roselvr
10-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I usually wear BB caps. How did you find the article? I have been trying to find a digital copy of it but have had no luck.

Someone here (Gina I think) scanned it and sent me a copy. I have it in the album I made for you. Here's the link Ben's album (http://picasaweb.google.com/Roselvr/2004AmnesiaVictim?feat=directlink)
It's all of the pics I've collected of you.

Also, if you look to the right in the album you will see the blog link. 2004 Amnesia Victim blog (http://2004amnesiavictim.blogspot.com/)
I need to go back over everything but don't have a lot of time right now.
If you want to email me roselvr@gmail.com I can send you the full sized article

Nice to see you posting. :)

Benjaman
10-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Benjaman:
Would you allow one person at WS, perhaps believe09, to read over your
medical records? Or at least your first few days after being found?

Do you have a copy of the original police report, if there was one?
If so, would you allow believe09 or someone at WS to read it over?

If not, were you ever able to interview the policemen who responded to the 911 call that day?
Thanks.
Memorial wants 800+dollars for the medical records.
No police report was made. The officers who were at the scene are no longer with the RH police. Or,at least,that is what we were told.

Roselvr
10-14-2009, 08:06 PM
No police report was made. The officers who were at the scene are no longer with the RH police. Or,at least,that is what we were told.

I thought Dr Phil paid for them?

Maybe we all should go to the Dr Phil site and request a follow up show?

Benjaman
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Benjamin-- I am helping my sister plan her wedding; she lives in the Denver area, and I suddenly thought of something today.

Aspen, CO hosts a huge food and wine festival every year, called the Food and Wine Classic. It is hosted by Food and Wine Magazine. It is one of the biggest food events each yr for people in the food and restaurant industry, as well as regular foodies. Many famous chefs speak and hold seminars at the three day event.

Do you ever remember going to this, and if so, do you remember any of the speakers you saw there? Also, do you like to cook yourself, and do you have any specialty dishes (other than the oatmeal LOL)

Never been there. That festival is not about food.It is snobs trying to outsnob each other. It is more about being pretty and looking pretty than anything else.

Benjaman
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I thought Dr Phil paid for them?

Maybe we all should go to the Dr Phil site and request a follow up show?

We never got a complete set. The DR. Phil Show has quit answering our E-mails.

Benjaman
10-14-2009, 08:52 PM
May I chime in?
I also wondered about numbers - forget it.
I was told that usually the package is numbered, not necessarily the pins.
From what I've found out from 2 of my Drs, he'd end up disfigured; and it would probably be for nothing.

Back in the early 70's we had a really bad flood in Watchung, NJ. My dad's gas station was underwater. There is a car dealer down the street, the flood was so bad, it carried cars away from the dealers lot.

We had a store called Grants.

I wasn't exposed to a lot of foods growing up; and as an adult, would not try a lot of the stuff you listed.

Take spaghetti sauce; I'm not Italian, it wasn't something we ate a lot of, not one of my favorite tastes as an adult. Also the cheeses that go into Italian. I can't be around Parmesan.

My parents came here in the 50's from Hungary.
I've wondered if Ben's parents were similar, where they came to the US from another country.

I myself do not expect Ben to answer everything.
I understand that some may be uncomfortable; or time consuming.
Perhaps even reading some and speaking to NB while he is reading may jog something that he can privately share with her; then she can follow up on it.

You sound like us. The hotter the food the better.
My son loves Franks Hot Sauce on everything.
Jalapenos used to be me until my taste buds changed.

I grew up with Hungarian peppers. They are a yellow pepper, have a really nice, sweet, but hottish taste. My dad used to make scrambled eggs on Sunday mornings. He'd fry up bacon, then used to take bread and fry the bread in the bacon grease, then add garlic powder (or garlic salt) to the fried bread. He'd then fry up the onions & peppers, add the eggs. He'd also add bacon pieces.

My dad had a habit of dipping everything in salt. He'd have a pile of salt on his plate, dip his bread and whatever else in the salt.

Your taste buds remind me of him.

We didn't do grits, Farina was what we ate up here.

Curious, ever has an Italian hot dog? There's a family owned chain here in NJ called Jimmy Buffs. They take hot dogs, potato wedges, onion & sausage & fry it all up in the same grease. They'd then put it on a round flat bread. The Jimmy Buff's dogs are pretty huge & very greasy.

Best photos I could find here (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/billyboy71_2006/NJ%20Hot%20Dog%20Tour%202009/IMG_0126.jpg) - and here (http://www.jimmybuff.com/images/sandwich1.jpg) - this is how they cook them Big Frier (http://www.hollyeats.com/JimmyBuffs.htm)

X-rays have been taken. Nothing was learned. Someone suggested I have the Pin removed. NO NO I will not allow that.
I use very little salt.But I have started eating Habanero Chiles (Peppers).
W.T.Grants went into bankruptcy in the seventies(I think). They tried to compete with K-Mart.

Wendy101
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I read somewhere you worked/volunteered in a hospital. What were your job duties? Did you feel comfortable in the hospital setting?

Do you have a bad back? Do you have a scar on your back?

dreamweaver
10-14-2009, 09:48 PM

----------------
Trying this again. Had a tad bit of trouble when posting this before.
It posted 3 times and when I went to delete two of them, on the second one, it balked. Then when I tried again, all were gone??

Here goes:
http://www.memorialhealth.com/about/dearphil.aspx?linkid=philcontact
Here is the feedback link to the ceo of Mem. Hlth Univ. Hosp.
Maybe if you write him, he will 'donate' the cost of your medical records ...and receive some good will publicity out of it.
If you want to, of course.

I could send in a request as well.

justthinkin
10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Benjaman, I'm also glad to see you posting again. I've got a question for you. Does being with people energize you or have more of a tendency to deplete your energy?

Wendy101
10-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Do you like hunting?

Roselvr
10-15-2009, 06:27 AM
X-rays have been taken. Nothing was learned. Someone suggested I have the Pin removed. NO NO I will not allow that.

Taking the pins out probably would not ID you. In another post, someone emailed one of the companies; they did not track anything. They said that with some thing like what you have, it's not like CSI on TV. We know breast implants are numbered; possibly a few other things, pins & hardware, no.

So please, don't ever allow anyone to take the pins/hardware out because it would not help.

I use very little salt.But I have started eating Habanero Chiles (Peppers).
W.T.Grants went into bankruptcy in the seventies(I think). They tried to compete with K-Mart.

Yes, Grants filed bankruptcy in the 70's.
I'm wondering how many states they had stores. I know Indiana, I'm in NJ, we had them here. Also Two-Guys.

Discount Stores of the 1960's (http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/index.html)

----------------
Trying this again. Had a tad bit of trouble when posting this before.
It posted 3 times and when I went to delete two of them, on the second one, it balked. Then when I tried again, all were gone??

Here goes:
http://www.memorialhealth.com/about/dearphil.aspx?linkid=philcontact
Here is the feedback link to the ceo of Mem. Hlth Univ. Hosp.
Maybe if you write him, he will 'donate' the cost of your medical records ...and receive some good will publicity out of it.
If you want to, of course.

I could send in a request as well.

Good thinking.
I also wonder if they will copy just the missing pages if they won't do it all.

Roselvr
10-15-2009, 06:28 AM

I received your email.
I will email you the pics this afternoon once we get back from Philadelphia.

I think that you might consider someone taking more pics of you dressed the way you usually dress. If you like to wear caps, wear the cap in the pic.

The pics I've collected of you are nice but you look different when you're not wearing the dressier clothes. When I say "dressier" I mean the suit, the polo shirt; khaki pants.

Same is true for me. I'm a T shirt & jeans type of gal. The T shirts I own & have owned are all the same "theme". I like Barbie, Blondie, Guns & Roses, Motorcycles (Harley & orange county choppers) & cars - Mustang's in particular, I won't wear a Chevy shirt. I also don't wear typical woman's clothes; I am not like a lot of women that wear makeup, match my shoes to my bag or do my hair. I'm no fuss, no makeup, could care less about doing my hair. That has never changed.

I guess what I'm getting at, if you had money to shop anywhere for clothes; where would you shop and what would you wear? If you like sports, is there one team you seem to like best?

Footwear - sneakers (do you call them tennis shoes?) casual loafers? Dress shoes? Work boots? Cowboy boots?

Socks? Do you have a preference? say like thin dress socks. Design or plain?
Perhaps you like Hanes socks? what cut would you wear? I do the tube/knee socks in cooler weather, then ankle in spring, and now. Summer I go shorter.

btw, if anything is too personal, not answering won't hurt my feelings. I understand.

dreamweaver
10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Benjaman,
Do you need your entire medical record?
From the first hospital where you were for 2 weeks?
And all from Memorial ?

Or are there missing pages that you need?

Roselvr
10-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Ben, I emailed you back so check your email. I think it was 3 emails. I broke the pictures up.

Benjaman,
Do you need your entire medical record?
From the first hospital where you were for 2 weeks?
And all from Memorial ?

Or are there missing pages that you need?

Wendy101
10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
anyone know what is shoe does BK wear?

believe09
10-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I received your email.

I think that you might consider someone taking more pics of you dressed the way you usually dress. If you like to wear caps, wear the cap in the pic.

The pics I've collected of you are nice but you look different when you're not wearing the dressier clothes. When I say "dressier" I mean the suit, the polo shirt; khaki pants.

Same is true for me. I'm a T shirt & jeans type of gal. The T shirts I own & have owned are all the same "theme". I like Barbie, Blondie, Guns & Roses, Motorcycles (Harley & orange county choppers) & cars - Mustang's in particular, I won't wear a Chevy shirt. I also don't wear typical woman's clothes; I am not like a lot of women that wear makeup, match my shoes to my bag or do my hair. I'm no fuss, no makeup, could care less about doing my hair. That has never changed.

I guess what I'm getting at, if you had money to shop anywhere for clothes; where would you shop and what would you wear? If you like sports, is there one team you seem to like best?

Footwear - sneakers (do you call them tennis shoes?) casual loafers? Dress shoes? Work boots? Cowboy boots?

Perhaps you like Hanes socks? what cut would you wear? I do the tube/knee socks in cooler weather, then ankle in spring, and now. Summer I go shorter.

btw, if anything is too personal, not answering won't hurt my feelings. I understand.

Hey Rose-good stuff. FWIW, I emailed BK and requested a photo be distributed showing him with glasses....it occurred to me that I have not seen one with glasses on-and assuming he wore them prior to his surgery, it might be another direction to take.

Roselvr
10-19-2009, 04:58 AM
Hey Rose-good stuff. FWIW, I emailed BK and requested a photo be distributed showing him with glasses....it occurred to me that I have not seen one with glasses on-and assuming he wore them prior to his surgery, it might be another direction to take.

Glasses were in enquirer, reading glasses

dreamweaver
10-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Glasses were in enquirer, reading glasses

===============
Glasses are seen in screen pics.

believe09
10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
thanks for reminding me about the glasses picture.

I think that we have to all agree that Memorial has given what they feel is relevant information. BK and NB can better elaborate as to what data they believe is missing and relevant; they can also let us know what they received and what it indicated in terms of substantial injuries etc....

Wendy101
10-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I have only been here for a short while, but notice that Benjaman does not answer many questions. Is this the norm?

I didn't mean that to sound rude, I will put it a different way.

Since I am new here, I want to know if Benjaman is a frequent visitor here?

dreamweaver
10-22-2009, 07:16 AM
I have only been here for a short while, but notice that Benjaman does not answer many questions. Is this the norm?

================================================== =====

Benjaman Kyle stops by once in awhile.

Benjaman
10-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Dear Ms. Zaha,
Welcome to Web Sleuths. I visit when I have a chance. I cannot answer all the posted questions. If you want one answered, please do not post a long series of questions. My eyes tend to glaze over when I think of all the typing that it takes to answer those long, long,:rolleyes::rolleyes: posted questions.
Respectfully yours,
Benjaman Kyle

Benjaman
10-22-2009, 10:15 PM
anyone know what is shoe does bk wear?

13eee

Benjaman
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I received your email.

I like good quality clothes. If I had the money I would buy Sean John,Orvis ,Filsen designer stuff. I am very good at picking out the high quality clothes from Goodwill. I like casual clothes and wear shorts all the time. Tennis shoes are the only comfortable shoes to wear(or as they say in this day and age "athletic shoes") although I do own some dress shoes.

Benjaman
10-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Do you like hunting?
No. If I had to kill my own food I would probably starve to death.(I am not a vegetarian)

Benjaman
10-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Benjaman, I'm also glad to see you posting again. I've got a question for you. Does being with people energize you or have more of a tendency to deplete your energy?
Being with other people is exhausting.

dreamweaver
10-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Has any memory returned about why you were in or near Richmond Hill?

Imbackon
10-22-2009, 11:02 PM
No. If I had to kill my own food I would probably starve to death.(I am not a vegetarian)

Same possible last name, height, but I am new to this so please excuse me

http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=19673.0
David Wayne Powell

dreamweaver
10-22-2009, 11:37 PM

David Wayne Powell

http://oregonmissingadults.com/
This says David W Powell, has a missing pinky and has a scar on his chest from open heart surgery.

carolwood
10-22-2009, 11:46 PM

David Wayne Powell

Here is a facebook page. There are 5 photo's here. just hit the next to top left to see them:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=88905106127&ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=3044053&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=88905106127&id=540371421

I don't think he is Ben. He looks like Ben does now and this was in 94' or before. He seems to also have a dimple in the chin. I do think he favors Ben though, possible relation?

Wendy101
10-23-2009, 12:20 AM
no. If i had to kill my own food i would probably starve to death.(i am not a vegetarian)

lol..

Wendy101
10-23-2009, 12:28 AM

David Wayne Powell

Wow! Isn't BK's bloodline Powell? Can anyone fond a better pic of Mr. Powell?

justthinkin
10-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Well if it's any help, Zaha & Ben, I can shoot a deer, clean it, skin it, cut it up & wrap it in freezer paper, and cook it so you wouldn't know you were eating venison. : )

dreamweaver
10-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Here is a facebook page. There are 5 photo's here. just hit the next to top left to see them:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=88905106127&ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=3044053&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=88905106127&id=540371421

I don't think he is Ben. He looks like Ben does now and this was in 94' or before. He seems to also have a dimple in the chin. I do think he favors Ben though, possible relation?

==================

There is not a lot of information about him. Maybe the Facebook group has more details.

Wendy101
10-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Benjaman,

Out of all the "possible matches" and all the "maybes" the sleuthers have come up with, is there anyone in particular that you think you resemble?

Thanks

Benjaman
10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Benjaman,

Out of all the "possible matches" and all the "maybes" the sleuthers have come up with, is there anyone in particular that you think you resemble?

Thanks
I hate looking at those pictures. I think that I am unable to be objective about my appearance.

Benjaman
10-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Well if it's any help, Zaha & Ben, I can shoot a deer, clean it, skin it, cut it up & wrap it in freezer paper, and cook it so you wouldn't know you were eating venison. : )
I can cook venison stew. I just do not want to have to do the killing.

Benjaman
10-23-2009, 04:47 PM
http://oregonmissingadults.com/
This says David W Powell, has a missing pinky and has a scar on his chest from open heart surgery.
I am not missing a "pinkie". Besides I do not care for pink anyway!

Benjaman
10-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Has any memory returned about why you were in or near Richmond Hill?
No. The only thing abourt Richmond Hill Is that I knew there would be RR tracks on the other side of the woods behind the BK(Restaurant, not me).

carolwood
10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
No. The only thing abourt Richmond Hill Is that I knew there would be RR tracks on the other side of the woods behind the BK(Restaurant, not me).
If these tracks are in the woods and not noticable from the road, then you would only know they are there if you lived/had been in the area for a little while or road a train to there. Is it possible amtrak runs this track?
My guess is you were staying at the hotel (or one of the hotels that is close by, and for a couple of days) and heard the train. I think LE needs to be looking into this. They can get employment records and pull these people in to talk, and show them a photo of Ben and ask questions about someone leaving clothes behind, someone not paying a bill, etc. His case is still active and unsolved....

Kentjbkent
10-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Hi Benjaman,

Good talking with you! Do you recall how far back the railroad tracks sat or anything else about these tracks? Do you recall any other parts of town where the tracks ran?

Roselvr
10-24-2009, 08:05 AM
If these tracks are in the woods and not noticable from the road, then you would only know they are there if you lived/had been in the area for a little while or road a train to there. Is it possible amtrak runs this track?
My guess is you were staying at the hotel (or one of the hotels that is close by, and for a couple of days) and heard the train. I think LE needs to be looking into this. They can get employment records and pull these people in to talk, and show them a photo of Ben and ask questions about someone leaving clothes behind, someone not paying a bill, etc. His case is still active and unsolved....

Excuse my lack of enough coffee this morning...

I actually like this explanation that he was registered in one of the hotels. I wish this was looked into more when he was found. Didn't someone from WS go to the hotels?

As far as the train & tracks.. he could have a fascination with them going back to childhood.
Where I grew up, we had all sorts of trains. I used to hang at the trestle.
It was cool hanging up there watching the trains.

My son has loved trains & planes since birth. My dad used to take him driving to work every morning, they'd stop at the train station to watch the train come in and pick people up.

My son & I would notice train tracks if we saw them while driving.

believe09
10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Excuse my lack of enough coffee this morning...

I actually like this explanation that he was registered in one of the hotels. I wish this was looked into more when he was found. Didn't someone from WS go to the hotels?

As far as the train & tracks.. he could have a fascination with them going back to childhood.
Where I grew up, we had all sorts of trains. I used to hang at the trestle.
It was cool hanging up there watching the trains.

My son has loved trains & planes since birth. My dad used to take him driving to work every morning, they'd stop at the train station to watch the train come in and pick people up.

My son & I would notice train tracks if we saw them while driving.

NB tells me she hit up the hotels in the early days of her sleuthing. I called rental car companies and the hotels in the area when I first came on board in 2007-like NB I had NO Success, lol.

Hotels are rated regarding to incidents of police reports. Depending on the chain, they are incented not to report anything that might be a crime or lead to police involvement. On top of that, they take their privacy policies very, very seriously. So, if there was a missing guest it is tough to determine what kind of response would occur at the hotel level. :loser:

Roselvr
10-24-2009, 10:14 AM
NB tells me she hit up the hotels in the early days of her sleuthing. I called rental car companies and the hotels in the area when I first came on board in 2007-like NB I had NO Success, lol.

That's what I thought I remembered reading; that it was looked into.

dreamweaver
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Hotels are rated regarding to incidents of police reports. Depending on the chain, they are incented not to report anything that might be a crime or lead to police involvement. On top of that, they take their privacy policies very, very seriously. So, if there was a missing guest it is tough to determine what kind of response would occur at the hotel level. :loser:
------------------------------------------------------

I came on board in 2008. I know that some WS'ers said they
checked amtrak schedules, flight schedules. I do not remember the results. I also think BK said, in a news article, I think, that
he went to the hotels and motels in Richmond Hill and he did not
get any infromation.

believe09
10-24-2009, 12:29 PM
13eee

:eek: