PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Worker Charged with Murder of Toddler

Dobler
01-17-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8269522&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

A daycare center employee was charged with murdering a toddler after confessing to forcefully throwing the boy to the ground at the north suburban Lincolnshire center.

Dobler
01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=265258

I just don't understand how someone could do this to a 16 month old. My heart goes out to the family of this baby.

Dobler
01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/suburban-infant-taken-from-daycare-center-later-dies.html

"She demonstrated how she held the child under his arms and slammed him down on the linoleum floor once," Scheller said. "He rolled over, grabbed his blanket, which was in reach, and crawled to a bouncy chair and passed out."
Police said there were eight other children and another employee in the room at the time the incident happened.

Atanua
01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
That is just awful :( the poor little guy.

Here is a link to a condolence book for him
http://www.legacy.com/dailyherald/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=122895726

Soulmagent
01-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Dobler your link sent me into a a bleak world. I read it aloud to my hubby after he begged me not too. And he cried which made me wish I had never read it to him yet at the same time,That glad I had.
If I ever become a s.s worker or a day care provider it will be because of cases like this. My hubby has lots of friends who make the big bucks leave their kids in day care even though they dont have too.
We bought a cheap house in the cheap part of town i work part time and refuse to put my kids in day care.
We have a teen who we make babysit as a part of her chores. Not always ideal but she has a vested interest.She is seventeen but it is her brother.
My Hubby and I cried for these parents who placed their loved child in the care of these people so they could provide this child the best care while they HAD to be away. We both hope she at the very least never gets out of prison/jail.No Matter how good her behavior is althou we would rather see her put to death .
We also cried for the little boy who we know only wanted to be heard.A minute of someone's time for which he never held a clue,Of one womans moment of becoming unglued.

gitana1
01-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Here's the accused's myspace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=98336652

kline
01-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Ive worked graveyard shifts for decades so I would be home during the day to care for our children while my wife worked.
Were divorced now but I still work those shifts so I can care for our daughter during the two hours after she gets out of school and before her Mom gets off work also there is no school here on fridays so I have her all day then.
But I too know people who dump their kids in these places even when they dont have to.Even on their days off.
Though I realize that some parents have no choice especially single ones who dont have family to help.
But after some of the horror stories Ive heard when I worked Corrections I decided none of my kids would see the inside of one of those places if there was anything I could do about it.
One too many Daycare providers Ive heard about with a clean background check but who just happens to have an Ex Con boyfriend with four L&L convictions.Sorry.

MeoW333
01-18-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/suburban-infant-taken-from-daycare-center-later-dies.html

"She demonstrated how she held the child under his arms and slammed him down on the linoleum floor once," Scheller said. "He rolled over, grabbed his blanket, which was in reach, and crawled to a bouncy chair and passed out."
Police said there were eight other children and another employee in the room at the time the incident happened.

This is so horrifying! :furious: What is wrong with people??!!

Cubby
01-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I can't copy links due to computer problems... but this little guys mama worked at a domestic violence shelter in Palatine, IL. How sad... helping others and this happened to her little one. Local news is requesting donations to the shelter in lieu of flowers. ( maybe someone can add the link for me please)

I don't understand how this happened. How did the second daycare teacher in the room not notice this woman was losing her patience?

I am just heartbroken over this.

Prayers to the family and friends of this little guy.

Cubby
01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Ive worked graveyard shifts for decades so I would be home during the day to care for our children while my wife worked.
Were divorced now but I still work those shifts so I can care for our daughter during the two hours after she gets out of school and before her Mom gets off work also there is no school here on fridays so I have her all day then.
But I too know people who dump their kids in these places even when they dont have to.Even on their days off.
Though I realize that some parents have no choice especially single ones who dont have family to help.
But after some of the horror stories Ive heard when I worked Corrections I decided none of my kids would see the inside of one of those places if there was anything I could do about it.
One too many Daycare providers Ive heard about with a clean background check but who just happens to have an Ex Con boyfriend with four L&L convictions.Sorry.

I think this last sentence is unfair, Kline. I respect what you do/did for your ex wife and daughter, but to lump dcp into having a clean background and hooking up with ex cons.... is, something you just "heard" right? I'll leave it at that....

Dobler
01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
http://www.legacy.com/dailyherald/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=122895726

Here's the little guy's obituary. The website for the donations to WINGS is on there.

Dobler
01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=265385

"The Lincolnshire day care center where a toddler died last week will be open for business Monday, an attorney for the company said."

I don't know how they can be open for business as usual, when such a terrible event happened. My heart aches for this family.

Bobbisangel
01-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Although a tragic incident, (it was) an isolated incident," lawyer Matt Walsh said. "We will be open and transparent with any parent to answer any questions they may have and to reassure them that we have the highest standards for our facility and that the safety of their children is our highest goal."

The attorney has the nerve to call the death of this little baby boy AN INCIDENT!!!!!

There is no way in hell that I would take my child to that DayCare. They are opening on Monday? It is like they are afraid that they will miss making the money that they usually do if they don't open right up again. That doesn't show much respect for that little boy and his family. I hope no one brings their kids back there. It really isn't a safe place for children. :furious:

That 22 yr old wasn't even mad at this little boy. She was upset because some of the other kids were making noise!! Don't all little kids make noise!!
She's mad at the other kids so she slams this baby to the floor and crushes his skull. His poor parents and siblings. It is just horrible.:furious:

twinkiesmom
01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
This happened in my area...

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine just filed a written report on some abusive behavior (verbal cruelty, yanking, etc.) of a daycare worker in a nearby suburb to where this occurred. She escalated the complaint up to the top of the chain of command, rallied the other parents, met in person with leadership, etc.

I had misgivings about her campaign against the daycare worker...I could see her point but was concerned that maybe the reaction was extreme or the woman was having a bad day....After reading about this nearby death, I think her actions were completely vindicated....You can't have a marginal daycare worker locked in a roomful of 3-year-olds...she might snap and have this as the outcome.

SuziQ
01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I think this last sentence is unfair, Kline. I respect what you do/did for your ex wife and daughter, but to lump dcp into having a clean background and hooking up with ex cons.... is, something you just "heard" right? I'll leave it at that....

But sadly it is true. There is a story a the week along these lines. DCP exposing kids to family members, boyfriends or husbands who at best have a generic criminal record, at worst are sex offenders, is common. Do I have a link? No. I'm sure we won't have to wait long for the next story though.

SuziQ
01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=265385

"The Lincolnshire day care center where a toddler died last week will be open for business Monday, an attorney for the company said."

I don't know how they can be open for business as usual, when such a terrible event happened. My heart aches for this family.

Why are they not shut down? I've seen daycares shut down for less.

twinkiesmom
01-19-2009, 12:52 PM

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=98336652

And if you read that, her hobbies are clubbing and partying...wonder if she was out the night before and the daycare noise aggravated a headache.

Adding to the poignancy of this story, the mom of the deceased toddler works as a psychologist at a women's shelter, and the family had the beneficience to request donations in lieu of flowers.

yellowlab
01-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Did you guys check out some of her pictures ? BIG ego

Kat
01-20-2009, 07:25 PM
This is interesting, not sure how it connects with the case:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1386866,CST-NWS-dayfam20.article

"Benjamin died Jan. 14. Two days later, Amy and Andy Kingan took Benjamin's twin sister, Emily, and 3-year-old brother, Jacob, to a pediatrician for tests to see if they carried any genetic abnormalities that could have led to Benjamin's death."

twinkiesmom
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM

"Benjamin died Jan. 14. Two days later, Amy and Andy Kingan took Benjamin's twin sister, Emily, and 3-year-old brother, Jacob, to a pediatrician for tests to see if they carried any genetic abnormalities that could have led to Benjamin's death."

The family was led to believe Benjamin died of natural causes...convinced enough to have planned a funeral for last Saturday which had to be cancelled. They did not realize the severity of the head fracture (and hence abuse) until the autopsy. The injury was not visible externally, and the daycare worker didn't confess right away.

Openmind
01-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I read this little baby took his blanket, pacifier, and cuddled up in a bouncy chair where they found him unresponsive thirty minutes later. If this "caregiver" had been honest about what she had done, could they have called 911 and possibly saved this little boy? I have known about children that suffered head trauma such as this and survived. She didn't tell anyone until she realized this baby was seriously hurt, and, even then, she didn't tell the truth and prevented him the proper intervention. She may not have meant to hurt this baby but even after what she did to him, she prevented him comfort and care. Such a coward.

jnTexas
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
The family was led to believe Benjamin died of natural causes...convinced enough to have planned a funeral for last Saturday which had to be cancelled. They did not realize the severity of the head fracture (and hence abuse) until the autopsy. The injury was not visible externally, and the daycare worker didn't confess right away.

Oh this is so sad those babies had to go through testing because this lady did not honestly admit to what she did.

Kat
01-20-2009, 10:41 PM

TY twinkiesmom for explaining why they did that testing.

Bobbisangel
01-21-2009, 01:36 AM

That is strange. It sounds like what the defense is going to do with Caylee's bones or so I've heard. They want to know if she had any genetic abnormalities that might have had something to do with her death. Talk about grasping for straws. Did she wrap the tape around her own head and mouth????

Dobler
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/dfcs-closes-lincolnshire-day-care-center.html

"Under the watchful eye of police parents this afternoon hurriedly picked up their children after a state agency closed a Lincolnshire day-care center where a teacher's assistant is accused of fatally slamming a 16-month-old boy to the floor."

It's about time.

Kat
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
The link says that the daycare has been closed for two reasons. I am wondering if there were other violations and incidents of children being harmed prior to the death of this young boy?

Chezhire
01-31-2009, 12:20 AM
I read this little baby took his blanket, pacifier, and cuddled up in a bouncy chair where they found him unresponsive thirty minutes later. If this "caregiver" had been honest about what she had done, could they have called 911 and possibly saved this little boy? I have known about children that suffered head trauma such as this and survived. She didn't tell anyone until she realized this baby was seriously hurt, and, even then, she didn't tell the truth and prevented him the proper intervention. She may not have meant to hurt this baby but even after what she did to him, she prevented him comfort and care. Such a coward.

I am so sad reading this thread - and your post is so true. To think he crawled away into a bouncy with his blanket and pacifier... :cry:
Oh that poor little one. :cry:

disappear
01-31-2009, 01:56 AM
OMG, so very sad. We are not wealthy by a long shot, but I am blessed to be able to stay at home with our children. I read this story to my DH and he kissed me and told me "thank you" for all that I do. This whole story just breaks my heart. Off to kiss the kids goodnight...again.

Lovejac
02-02-2009, 03:00 AM
I am so sad reading this thread - and your post is so true. To think he crawled away into a bouncy with his blanket and pacifier... :cry:
Oh that poor little one. :cry:

This story literally made me nauseus. That he wasn't even being held while he was dying.

Why didn't the other worker do anything!!!! Call an ambulance, something....anything!!:furious: If he had received medical attention, he could possibly have lived.

My prayers are with his family.

Broderick
02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
This story is so sad and I am grateful that my wife and I waited until we were certain we would never have to rely on daycare before we had kids.

Gray
02-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Oh my gosh. I will never, ever place my child in a daycare at that age. This is just breaking my heart... I am having a hard time not hating this woman.

Broderick
02-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh my gosh. I will never, ever place my child in a daycare at that age. This is just breaking my heart... I am having a hard time not hating this woman.

I am livid about this case. It is so sad. This woman needs to spend a great deal of time in prison for her actions.

southcitymom
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM

It's hard to even read that sentence. I've no doubt that the worker who harmed him didn't mean to kill this child, but the end result is the same.

Gray
02-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I can't stop crying about this story. After having a miscarriage just 2 1/2 weeks ago I can't bear to think of the pain this mother is feeling. When will our society... when will people value children again? They are so precious, so perfect, so beautiful. How could anyone do such a thing?

twinkiesmom
02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
This story is so sad and I am grateful that my wife and I waited until we were certain we would never have to rely on daycare before we had kids.

I think it needs to be repeated that the mom of this boy was serving the community counseling women at the local women's shelter....no doubt providing comfort to battered and abused women. That's why he was in daycare.

He should have been safe there. Women who make the decision to hire help don't anticipate their children dying while in care.

static
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Dobler your link sent me into a a bleak world. I read it aloud to my hubby after he begged me not too. And he cried which made me wish I had never read it to him yet at the same time,That glad I had.
If I ever become a s.s worker or a day care provider it will be because of cases like this. My hubby has lots of friends who make the big bucks leave their kids in day care even though they dont have too.
We bought a cheap house in the cheap part of town i work part time and refuse to put my kids in day care.
We have a teen who we make babysit as a part of her chores. Not always ideal but she has a vested interest.She is seventeen but it is her brother.
My Hubby and I cried for these parents who placed their loved child in the care of these people so they could provide this child the best care while they HAD to be away. We both hope she at the very least never gets out of prison/jail.No Matter how good her behavior is althou we would rather see her put to death .
We also cried for the little boy who we know only wanted to be heard.A minute of someone's time for which he never held a clue,Of one womans moment of becoming unglued.

This is why I stay home with my 15 month old grandbaby. I worked in early childhood education for over 20 years. I was actually fired at one place for reporting an abusive employee who had worked there far longer than I had. I had told the parents of this child what I had witnessed and never regretted it. What made me so angry is this employee would be so sickening sweet to the parents that came in, and then once the coast was clear...a different person came out. I went to supervisors, and finally, because this employee denied everything (so therefore they couldn't prove anything), went straight to the parents.
My guess is this other person that was in the room with this worker has seen things before, and if she did report it perhaps nothing was investigated. Unfortunately now a child has died, because maybe someone was "afraid" of losing their job, or supervisors did not do their job. It is the worker's own fault, she chose to throw that poor little guy to his death, but unfortunately enabling that kind of behavior for fear of something else happening is tragic. Bless him

twinkiesmom
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
My guess is this other person that was in the room with this worker has seen things before, and if she did report it perhaps nothing was investigated.

It was reported in the Tribune that Melissa had a written complaint against her in the past, and the owners transfered her to a different facility in their system rather than firing her.

And this nugget which explains why she wasn't fired:
<<Calusinski's sister, Crystal, also works at the Lincolnshire center and helped get her transferred.>>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-toddler-death-22-jan22,0,3036628.story
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-day_care_death_jan18,0,4483168.story

twinkiesmom
02-03-2009, 08:53 AM
The link says that the daycare has been closed for two reasons. I am wondering if there were other violations and incidents of children being harmed prior to the death of this young boy?

If a parent files a written complaint about a worker being inept, not necessarily abusive, does that have to trigger a report to DCFS? If so, I suspect it wasn't done properly in this case.

Chezhire
02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
It was reported in the Tribune that Melissa had a written complaint against her in the past, and the owners transfered her to a different facility in their system rather than firing her.

<<Calusinski's sister, Crystal, also works at the Lincolnshire center and helped get her transferred.>>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-toddler-death-22-jan22,0,3036628.story
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-day_care_death_jan18,0,4483168.story

I hope that center pays in spades for what has happened. :furious:

Dobler
02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=271418&src=3

"The Lake County grand jury on Wednesday indicted Melissa M. Calusinski on 14 counts of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery of a child for slamming 16-month-old Benjamin Kingon of Deerfield to the ground Jan. 14, said Assistant States Attorney Steve Scheller, chief of the felony review division. "

Lovejac
02-21-2009, 09:35 AM

:eek: Well, as far as I'm concerned she has his blood on her hands, too!

WTF, were they that hard up for employees? She should have been gone, gone, gone!!

Could the sister face some sort of charges? IMO, she should!

Lovejac
02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=271418&src=3

"The Lake County grand jury on Wednesday indicted Melissa M. Calusinski on 14 counts of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery of a child for slamming 16-month-old Benjamin Kingon of Deerfield to the ground Jan. 14, said Assistant States Attorney Steve Scheller, chief of the felony review division. "

:waitasec: can someone explain the 14 counts of first-degree murder to me?

That made me think she had killed 14 children!!:eek:

Issi
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Man... this story makes my soul hurt.

Razzle
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
This is just awful. That poor baby, and his poor family. I have a 15 month old baby, and a 5.5 year old, both boys, I cannot imagine what this family is going through.
I know that all day cares are not like this, but this is one of those stories that makes me happy that I am able to stay home with my boys. Not everyone has that choice, and I am grateful that I do.

I just can't believe that they had previous complaints and didn't deal with it properly!!

twinkiesmom
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
:waitasec: can someone explain the 14 counts of first-degree murder to me?

That made me think she had killed 14 children!!:eek:

It's the vagaries of IL law....I think we saw the same thing happen with the Vaughn case...more first degree murder charges than actual victims.

Yikes, I could be in the jury pool for this one!

The latest in the case (www.dailyherald.com) is the judge is maintaining the high bond ($5 million), and her folks can't get her released on their home equity.

Razzle
02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I too am wondering about the 14 counts. That is confusing.

Kat
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't remember the explanation but in the C. Myers case he was charged with multiple counts of first degree murder and I think I remember reading that once it goes to trial they will be combined into one count.

Dont' go by my word, because I'm only vague about it but I think IIRC the multiple charges are brought forth to the Grand Jury for their consideration.

Once it goes into trial phase the charges of first degree will become one count, and IIRC it does have to do with IL law.

Lovejac
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
found this update, not much new.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=273430

southcitymom
02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
It's the vagaries of IL law....I think we saw the same thing happen with the Vaughn case...more first degree murder charges than actual victims.

Yikes, I could be in the jury pool for this one!

The latest in the case (www.dailyherald.com) is the judge is maintaining the high bond ($5 million), and her folks can't get her released on their home equity.

Yes - I recall that about the Vaughn case too, twinkiesmom.

twinkiesmom
02-26-2009, 07:33 PM
found this update, not much new.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=273430

Here's the latest:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=274241

Lovejac
02-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Here's the latest:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=274241

Thank you for that link, twinkiesmom. This case just breaks my heart.

I'm glad she's staying put, she might as well get use to it.

Her mom and dad want to save her from a little time in prison before her trial.

I bet Benjamins mom and dad wanted to save him, too.

Lovejac
03-16-2009, 02:22 AM
bumping

Lovejac
03-16-2009, 02:28 AM
http://www.techbanyan.com/3312/melissa-calusinski/

shocked Says:
March 1st, 2009 at 7:23 pm
I have known Melissa for most of my life. We practically grew up together. For her to do something like this is uncharacteristic. When I heard about it I was completely shocked. She has always been a very caring and loving person. I am very heartbroken for not only the parents of this child but also for her and her family. I can guarantee this was not on purpose, she would never intend to hurt a child. She did lose her temper and committed a horrible crime. I do think she should be punished, but not life in prison. Im sure she has remorse for what she has done. I am a mother of an 18 mo. old and if this were to happen to my child I would be devastated. My heart goes out to Ben’s family. This is a perfect example of why are parents always told us to think before you act. Even one small mistake can change into a horrible situation that you will regret for the rest of your life.

twinkiesmom
03-16-2009, 09:30 AM
When I googled her father's name (Paul), there is someone with the same name and same town who has a conviction in 1988 (resisting arrest stemming from a domestic violence situation). If this is her father, she would have been about 2 years old at the time of the incident. It would explain the source of the rage. (Not condone it, never condone it.)

Lovejac
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
When I googled her father's name (Paul), there is someone with the same name and same town who has a conviction in 1988 (resisting arrest stemming from a domestic violence situation). If this is her father, she would have been about 2 years old at the time of the incident. It would explain the source of the rage. (Not condone it, never condone it.)

Of course not, just gives more insight. Wonder how long before a trial? I'm assuming a trial because she pleaded not guilty.

Does anyone know if the day care was re-opened?

twinkiesmom
03-16-2009, 09:24 PM
<<Calusinski's trial is set for June. She is scheduled to be in court again April 7.>>

The quote above is from the last article published on the case:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1446162,5_1_WA24_BONDHELD_S1.article

I have not found any news articles announcing the reopening of the daycare. I suspect the location where the death occurred is still closed but the other two are still open (never closed).

My work is very close to the closed daycare and one of my coworkers considered that facility.

I know one of the national news commentators picked up on this story and somehow got the idea this daycare was in a bad area...quite the opposite, very upscale (almost north shore) suburb of Chicago. Maybe they had the area of the daycare confused with the town where Melissa's from which is more modest.

Lovejac
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
<<Calusinski's trial is set for June. She is scheduled to be in court again April 7.>>

The quote above is from the last article published on the case:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1446162,5_1_WA24_BONDHELD_S1.article

I have not found any news articles announcing the reopening of the daycare. I suspect the location where the death occurred is still closed but the other two are still open (never closed).

My work is very close to the closed daycare and one of my coworkers considered that facility.

I know one of the national news commentators picked up on this story and somehow got the idea this daycare was in a bad area...quite the opposite, very upscale (almost north shore) suburb of Chicago. Maybe they had the area of the daycare confused with the town where Melissa's from which is more modest.

Thank you for the info! After I posted, I went to cook dinner. Just got back on. This story just breaks my heart. I really want to keep up with this.

twinkiesmom
04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Daycare owner was recently arrested for obstruction of justice related to investigation of toddler death....allegedly told workers to lie to cover the fact that Melissa was the only worker in the room.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/lincolnshire/news/1505851,lr-katz2-040109-p1.article
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1503366,5_1_WA31_DAYCARE_S1.article

Lovejac
04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Daycare owner was recently arrested for obstruction of justice related to investigation of toddler death....allegedly told workers to lie to cover the fact that Melissa was the only worker in the room.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/lincolnshire/news/1505851,lr-katz2-040109-p1.article

Wow! Thank God that worker came to her senses or she would be in the middle of this mess too.

I can almost cry when I think about what happened to Benjamin.:mad:

I wish ALL of her daycare centers were closed down.

Thanks for keeping us updated twinkiesmom, did this case happen near you?

twinkiesmom
04-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Another link with more details:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=282747

Yes, this case is near me.

Lovejac
04-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Another link with more details:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=282747

Yes, this case is near me.

I know mug shots aren't the most flattering but..........DANG!:eek:

It's also sad to think that IF the required 'other employee' had been in the room, this beautiful and much loved boy would still be with his family.

I'm shocked that any of her centers still have children attending. Seriously, Melissa could have grabbed ANY of them and slammed them on the floor, Benjamin was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, figuritively and literally. So very sad.

twinkiesmom
04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I know mug shots aren't the most flattering but..........DANG!:eek:

It's also sad to think that IF the required 'other employee' had been in the room, this beautiful and much loved boy would still be with his family.

I'm shocked that any of her centers still have children attending. Seriously, Melissa could have grabbed ANY of them and slammed them on the floor, Benjamin was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, figuritively and literally. So very sad.

I do have hope that we're going to get a Benjamin's law out of this...cameras in daycare centers.

The level of corruption is outstanding in this case, especially if you believe any of the locals commenting on the Daily Herald story...Alleged former workers since the 80s claimed that the centers played games to have enough workers for inspections....and that surprise DCFS visits weren't really surprises. If it was commonplace to leave an entry level young aide with a roomful of toddlers, it was only a matter of time before something bad happened. I'm sure doggy daycare is better staffed.

Openmind
04-04-2009, 09:51 AM
This crime has made me so angry and so sad. I have worked in Mother's Day out programs and there must be a proper number of adults to safely supervise the children.I am surprised anyone still takes their child to this service.

Melissa Calusinski took three horrific actions -- she threw this baby to the floor, she ignored him when he was hurt, and she lied about his injury. If she had immediately called for help after her first action, could little Ben been saved? The adults in this service certainly did not put the care of these children as their first and foremost concern. I wouldn't give her bond. I am sure she is sorry but is it for little Ben or for herself?

Lovejac
04-04-2009, 10:24 AM
This crime has made me so angry and so sad. I have worked in Mother's Day out programs and there must be a proper number of adults to safely supervise the children.I am surprised anyone still takes their child to this service.

Melissa Calusinski took three horrific actions -- she threw this baby to the floor, she ignored him when he was hurt, and she lied about his injury. If she had immediately called for help after her first action, could little Ben been saved? The adults in this service certainly did not put the care of these children as their first and foremost concern. I wouldn't give her bond. I am sure she is sorry but is it for little Ben or for herself?

This question has been on my mind from the beginning. :mad:

Lovejac
04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I do have hope that we're going to get a Benjamin's law out of this...cameras in daycare centers.

The level of corruption is outstanding in this case, especially if you believe any of the locals commenting on the Daily Herald story...Alleged former workers since the 80s claimed that the centers played games to have enough workers for inspections....and that surprise DCFS visits weren't really surprises. If it was commonplace to leave an entry level young aide with a roomful of toddlers, it was only a matter of time before something bad happened. I'm sure doggy daycare is better staffed.

That's the best idea for a law, that I have ever heard! Is there a petition somewhere to sign?

My son, who just turned 4 on Friday, has been attending a church run MDO since he was 2. They have cameras in every room.

twinkiesmom
04-04-2009, 08:08 PM

They said the degree of his injury was akin to a fall from a 1-2 story building, so I'd say no, it was not survivable.

twinkiesmom
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
That's the best idea for a law, that I have ever heard! Is there a petition somewhere to sign?

I only know about the local grassroots campaign.

Openmind
04-05-2009, 12:08 PM
They said the degree of his injury was akin to a fall from a 1-2 story building, so I'd say no, it was not survivable.

You are undoubtedly correct. I had a friend whose nephew suffered a terrible skull fracture as a baby, and he survived, but he had immediate help. The fact Calusinski could slam this child so hard it would hurt him this bad is quite terrifying, but that she ignored him as he crawled away and lied about his injuries is quite unforgivable. Her act of irrational rage was compounded by her selfish self protection.

I agree we need cameras in any service that is responsible for the care of children. Considering how the director lied as well, I suppose cameras would prevent that kind of behavior since the truth would be in the video.

twinkiesmom
04-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree we need cameras in any service that is responsible for the care of children. Considering how the director lied as well, I suppose cameras would prevent that kind of behavior since the truth would be in the video.

It would also tell parents about the exact degree of care their child was receiving...One of my friends noticed particular children at her child's daycare being singled out for harsh treatment and reported it...Management fired the worker, but my friend has no idea if the children's parents were notified. There's so much emphasis on privacy in the school environment (even at the daycare level) that it is difficult for parents to communicate with each other.

Openmind
04-05-2009, 07:16 PM
It would also tell parents about the exact degree of care their child was receiving...One of my friends noticed particular children at her child's daycare being singled out for harsh treatment and reported it...Management fired the worker, but my friend has no idea if the children's parents were notified. There's so much emphasis on privacy in the school environment (even at the daycare level) that it is difficult for parents to communicate with each other.

Kudos to your friend for taking up the cause of other children. Sadly, that sense of privacy often makes many adults stay silent for fear of being accused of being meddlers. It is so important we care for all children not just our own -- a compassionate pay it forward. Your friend is to be commended.

Lovejac
06-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Updates

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/124/story/588956.html
Day care owner pleads not guilty to lying to cops

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=298200&src=48
Owner of daycare center where boy died denies lying to police

Dobler
03-06-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=363873&src=3

""Never let your guard down," said Kingan, the mother of a toddler who authorities said was killed by an employee at a Lincolnshire day-care center.
Kingan and her husband, Andrew, will receive a $2 million settlement from the now closed Minee-Subee in the Park. The settlement came before a lawsuit was filed in what was termed a wrongful-death case."

Lovejac
07-02-2010, 02:58 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/medical-records-sought-of-toddler-killed-at-day-care.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChicagoBreakingNews+%28Chicag o+Breaking+News%29

Medical records sought of toddler killed at day-care

Debbie3223
07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
did the owner or the girl get any jail time?? not seeing a story on thaT

WhyaDuck?
07-02-2010, 10:12 AM
The thought of that poor little baby grabbing his blankie and pacifier to comfort him as he died... It just breaks the heart. I'm cuddling my little one and quietly crying right now. My lord - the things people do to kids!

Belinda
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Vinelink lists Melissa Calusinski as still in the Lake County Jail. Interestingly, she is not listed under offenders with court cases. So, I'm wondering if she got some piddly local jail sentence. Will try to find out more.

Belinda
07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
June 18, 2010 11:06 AM | No Comments
The lawyer for a former day-care center worker charged in the death of a toddler in her care wants to see medical records from the boy's high-risk birth.

Melissa Calusinski has been held in Lake County Jail awaiting trial on first-degree murder charges since January 2009, when 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan died after authorities said Calusinski slammed the boy to the floor at Minee Subee day-care center in Lincolnshire.

Her lawyer, Paul DeLuca, was granted permission today to subpoena medical records of the birth of Benjamin and his twin sister to determine if other medical complications could have contributed to his death. The judge is expected to rule next month on whether the defense can see the content of those records.

Calusinski, a Carpentersville woman who was 22 at the time of her arrest, is being held in lieu of a $5 million bond. The day-care center was shut down by state authorities and its owner, Judith Katz of Arlington Heights, is charged with obstructing the investigation into the boy's death.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/medical-records-sought-of-toddler-killed-at-day-care.html

So, she is still being held pre-trial.

Lovejac
07-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Now the DT is barking up another tree :(

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110620/news/706209835/

and

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/6135317-418/defense-in-2009-day-care-death-presents-psychologist.html

twinkiesmom
07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Now the DT is barking up another tree :(

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110620/news/706209835/

and

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/6135317-418/defense-in-2009-day-care-death-presents-psychologist.html

Ironically, they are trying to use IQ as a defense when her IQ was in the low normal range....not low enough to not be able to distinguish from right and wrong...

Hope I don't end up in the jury pool for this one.

leophoenix
07-16-2011, 07:40 AM
This is disgusting and terribly sad. Too many cases of killed children I'm reading lately.

twinkiesmom
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
This trial is ongoing right now....Dr Jan Leetsma for the defense. I think he testified for the defense in both the British nanny case as well as Peterson East.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/8698040-418/medical-experts-disagree-on-key-evidence-in-day-care-murder-case.html

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20111104/news/711049646/
(entire library of articles on lower left panel)

MEM2010
11-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Lincolnshire police investigator Adam Hyde said after the incident, Benjamin picked up his blanket and his pacifier and went to his favorite bouncy chair, where he was found cuddled up and unresponsive less than half-an-hour later.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Daycare-Worker-.html#ixzz1dBroWIJt

This statement has absolutely ripped my heart to shreds. The little guy just wanted some comfort.

What is wrong with our world.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=iKaVN qVMHVqTG$pH6TC8yM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtinHkxCppcPix RzzVyThAxWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Rest In Peace precious Benjamin

BrownRice
11-09-2011, 07:04 AM
This trial is ongoing right now....Dr Jan Leetsma for the defense. I think he testified for the defense in both the British nanny case as well as Peterson East.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/8698040-418/medical-experts-disagree-on-key-evidence-in-day-care-murder-case.html

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20111104/news/711049646/
(entire library of articles on lower left panel)

So the defense is the little baby had a pre-existing "life threatening" medical condition in his skull. I say BS. But regardless, how is it even relevant? She threw the child to the floor, thus causing his death. It is disgusting what a medical "professional" will say on the witness stand when it comes to money.

STEADFAST
04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Melissa Calusinski, a former worker at the day care center, was convicted last year of first-degree murder in Benjamin's death and was sentenced to 31 years in prison. Authorities said she confessed to slamming the child's head to the ground in frustration. The owner of the day care, Judith Katz, was to begin her trial yesterday on obstructing justice, but she died the day before yesterday. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-heart-failure-killed-day-care-owner-judith-katz-set-for-obstruction-trial-in-toddler-benjamin-kingan-death-attorney-says-20120416,0,6930721.story