PDA

View Full Version : Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

Beyond Belief
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

petresq_algc
02-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes. I don't do country. The darkness and total silence scares the mess out of me!

panthera
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Absolutely and wouldn't live there especially with all the SO's in the area. :eek: MOO

not_my_kids
02-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Trailer in the country with less than 50 SO's running around or in the inner city with nearly 600 SO's running around?
Seeing as where I live now was once named the murder capital of the US...I'll go with the trailer. ANYDAY.

CeeKer
Absolutely! And if I knew it was surrounded by 44 sexual offender... I can't even imagine my fear! I'd be wetting the bed cuz I'd be too afraid to go to the bathroom!

Indiana at Heart
yes i was sacred, i only had one child and my ex worked Friday nd Saturday night 12 am til 6 am worked at paper company. when i found we was having our and son he moved me to town.

White Rain
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes. My ex-hubby and I lived out in the boonies and I hated it. Although we had an alarm system I was still frightened. Especially after I woke up one morning after he'd gone to work and found someone had busted out the back window of our explorer which was right outside our bedroom window...and I never heard a thing.

Kat
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Well if I had no choice and I had to live there? You can bet your sweet bippy I would have all doors and windows locked at all times. I've had to live in some rough places, even as a kid, but I do respect a lock. We always had a gun in the house when I was a kid too.

txsvicki
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure how remote the area is. I read that it is a retirement community and that there are neighbors on one side of the trailer, but not on the other. The wooded areas on one side would scare me even if I had a dog and a gun, because I figure that the gun couldn't be kept loaded due to kids. I'd feel safe with a man or other adult there though.

Kat
02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh and a couple of dogs too. Not just one. Big ones out in the yard and a yippy one that stayed in the house with me.

angeleleven
02-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I have lived out in the country all of my life before my marriage and now, being divorced raising my kids alone, I still have to say I live in the country alone but with my kids. I'm so used to it, I don't think about being scared. But, of course, the SO factor would be another thing....I would not like that. I don't have any SOs in my area that I'm aware of. I do not own a gun....maybe I should. Don't have a dog either but have two very quiet cats.

Cerenity2u
02-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Nope, we have lived and raised 2 children in the country and never lived in fear. I think no matter where anyone lives, especially if they have children, precautions should be taken to help insure safety and well being. Nobody is immune to crime...it happens everywhere.

Kat
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
You make a good point Cerenity2U. I think the scariest place I ever got lost was when I was in NYC and hubby took a wrong turn (It's his hometown go figure) we ended up at 175th and Amsterdam. Scared me good. But one of his cousins lives near there and said she never was scared at all.

Beyond Belief
02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I would be definitely. Everytime in my life that I stayed at some remote place I felt insecure.:eek:

WillenFan21
02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Reannan
02-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I feel more comfortable in the boonies than in an apartment complex within the city. Of course, I am prepared with a 9mm, a shotgun, and a machete behind the headboard of the bed. I also have a good security system. Ron and Misty probably could not have afforded a security system, but I bet they had guns in the house, and I have relatives that are a LOT like Ron and Misty. They are tough people who are scared of almost nothing. Life has been hard on them, and they simply roll with the punches. They don't expect much from life, and they are ready to deal with whatever comes their way. That is the exact reason, I am not surprised by Ron's reaction and statements during the 911 call. My life is currently a far cry from that of Ron and Misty......but that is only because I made choices the rest of my relatives did not make. I can also assure you that children growing up in a situation that is less than affluent can grow up in a GREAT environment - I did. The pictures of Haleigh looked happy, and Ron is sincere in his love and sense of loss, IMHO.

Littleone48
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I live on a deadend street in the middle of a small city. It is surrounded by woods and is very dark. Many times I am frightened when I am by myself and I am older. The nearest house in 50 yds away.

Heck I haven't been able to take a shower since I watched "I know who you are and I know what you did" back in the 70's when I am home alone :) so I am probably the last person to ask.

secret_agent_mom
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
As a sinlge mom with two small boys, I once lived in a small trailer in a remote country location and was never fearful. In fact, I was much more fearful when we moved to an apartment complex where there was always activity and people wandering around.

Trino
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
While anything can happen, I, too, would feel more comfortable living in a remote trailer than living in an inner-city apartment building.

Several years ago the home behind ours was broken into, and LE traced the culprit's footprints in the snow to our home. He said what probably saved us was our dog. He said a dog is much better security than a system.

Indianagirl
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes!! I get scared just thinking about it!

tiredofthis
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes. I don't do country. The darkness and total silence scares the mess out of me!

I grew up in the country, but I'm not sure I could live there now. I remember when my parents would sometimes forget to lock the doors at night. It gives me the chills to think about it now, but fortunately nothing bad happened. My husband is very much a city boy and the silence of the country gives him the creeps. He says the country reminds him of the movie "Children of the Corn." lol

JulieR
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
When I was 18 and just had my daughter. Her father and I lived in a trailer park (with other trailers around us) he worked nights 11-7 and I would stay up late at night doing my cleaning because I was afraid being alone I would work till I was so sleepy and then fall asleep on the couch. You could hear every noise in the place when the winds would blow it was really scary.

shadow of my mind
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
No.
Living in a remote home with children would not scare me. I would much rather be out in the country with no one around than in town where I live, even though my town is relatively small. I love the darkness of no streetlights. You can actually see the stars. You take precautions, whether it is big a great big dog, big gun, alarm system and a must for anywhere you live are well made locks. The best deterrent to becoming a victim of any crime is difficult access. Scum and crooks are everywhere but they will always pick the easiest home.

Carla Lashelle
02-22-2009, 09:39 PM
yes plus that area of florida has a lot of skunk ape/bigfoot sightings. im terrified of bigfoot.

LCoastMom
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I said not with a dog only because I'm hard of hearing. Someone could walk right into my house at anytime and I wouldn't know. If they do, my Pit Bull Max is always at my side and it would be the last time they walked in on anyone.

If you google map RC's address, they have plenty of neighbors.The house isn't off on it's own at all. Some of those neighbors are pretty scary people though.

I used to have a friend who lived in an old ranch house in the middle of an orchard and she was terrified every time her dh left the house at nite. To the point that he bought a gun for her. The orchard was an anomaly in a town that had grown too quickly into a city of 500,000 people, it was one of the few undeveloped pieces of property left. My friend never had any trouble out there, but my next door neighbor was murdered in her home, in the middle of day by a junkie who broke in and stole her VCR to buy a fix.

If a bad person gets you in his sights it doesn't matter where you live.

winterrose
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I raised five kids in the country,husband worked alot of nights,had dogs,guns and floodlights.Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.But,I didn't have friends and relatives that were a danger to my childred either.

mazajo
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Totally in the country away from anybody would scare me. So would a big city. I perfer middle ground, small towns and suburbs. I think it's just what you grow up used to. When I was 17 I was much more scared of ghosts then actual people, though.

panthera
02-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I raised five kids in the country,husband worked alot of nights,had dogs,guns and floodlights.Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.But,I didn't have friends and relatives that were a danger to my childred either.
I think it all depends where the trailer is and I was thinking of the area where RC lives with the number of SOs in the immediate area. I still wouldn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere though with two small children in case of an emergency and getting help quickly. :)

nursebeeme
02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
no. wouldn't be. This is a kid tho... who was left alone (but it wasn't her first time in THIS family and who knows what she had already been familiar with in the past. I vot that SHE WAS NOT SCARED AND THAT THIS WAS NOTHING NEW TO HER (if that went beyond the poll sorry in advance :-)

CajunGirl
02-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Trailer in the country with less than 50 SO's running around or in the inner city with nearly 600 SO's running around?
Seeing as where I live now was once named the murder capital of the US...I'll go with the trailer. ANYDAY.

LOL Amen to that! I live in the murder capital of the US...

Reznor
02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I would be very afraid but back in the day, No!

I didn't get that kind of fear until after my kids were born.

Was Misty afraid? Maybe a little but not that mother protective instincts fear.

Tichad3
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
No. I live in the country now. My next door neighbors are Amish and they live almost a mile away.

I learned from an early age to defend myself and my family. We are also a gun toting family so that helps.

winterrose
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I think it all depends where the trailer is and I was thinking of the area where RC lives with the number of SOs in the immediate area. I still wouldn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere though with two small children in case of an emergency and getting help quickly. :)

It was a house,but five minutes away from where the Lisk Sisters were taken and killed.You think you're safe in the country,but you're not.

panthera
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
It was a house,but five minutes away from where the Lisk Sisters were taken and killed.You think you're safe in the country,but you're not.
OMG! :eek: I grew up in a house that was isolated and surrounded by lots of woods. It was scary at times especially during a storm.

SeriouslySearching
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
When I lived in the country, I was scared at night alone. I had two neighbors, but the ones closest to me were nuts. LOL I was mostly scared of them.

I don't think I would be scared where their trailer is located within a community type setting tho. Especially with relatives so close in proximity...the ones I would have gone running to after I found Haleigh was missing immediately!

eleven
02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
A few years ago, I would've said that I would NOT be afraid----however, ever since the creepy Joseph Duncan incident :furious: with the Groene family, I much prefer having close neighbors.

Fastpitch Mom
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I live in a very rural area. I am not scared. The doors are locked. But the way I look at it is if someone wants in bad enough, a lock is not going to stop them.

drip~drop
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

We're ok with security system, dogs and protection
BUT
if i was 17 and alone like that, i'd be scared silly!!!

ETA~ we are "remote" country, not trailer community. Our neighbors are "over yonder". lol
for real...i think i'd be scared alone in a trailer community and really worried about the kids!

sha-sha
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
No not if I was Misty! And not if I was me, either.

sha-sha
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
My doors are never locked.

concentric
02-22-2009, 10:57 PM

Have you ever been a victim of a violent crime like I have and many others?

Vegas Bride
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I did live out in the country a few times, in houses tho, not a trailer. I got a dog and felt secure. A trailer imo is not as secure as a regular house is and I'd probably want a couple dogs to feel secure.

VB

wvwoman67
02-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I said not with a dog only because I'm hard of hearing. Someone could walk right into my house at anytime and I wouldn't know. If they do, my Pit Bull Max is always at my side and it would be the last time they walked in on anyone.

If you google map RC's address, they have plenty of neighbors.The house isn't off on it's own at all. Some of those neighbors are pretty scary people though.

I used to have a friend who lived in an old ranch house in the middle of an orchard and she was terrified every time her dh left the house at nite. To the point that he bought a gun for her. The orchard was an anomaly in a town that had grown too quickly into a city of 500,000 people, it was one of the few undeveloped pieces of property left. My friend never had any trouble out there, but my next door neighbor was murdered in her home, in the middle of day by a junkie who broke in and stole her VCR to buy a fix.

If a bad person gets you in his sights it doesn't matter where you live.

I live in a rural area, although I do have dogs. My husband used to work nights, but I have never been afraid. After what happened to my dear friend's daughter (in the light of day in a rural area), I honestly believe the bolded. If it can happen here...it can happen anywhere.

Dani_md
02-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm 24 with a 5 month old baby and a dog. I live in a town with no known sex offenders near by. My Husband goes to work at 1:30 a.m. I am terrified then. I couldn't imagine being 17 with two kids in the middle of no where at night.

ETA...When I was pregnant with my daughter last august I was at my parents taking care of my neice while everyone was at work. Something told me to lock the doors before I dosed off that day. My neice was asleep on the couch and I on the loveseat. I thought I heard the door knob rattle in my sleep. I closed my eyes thinking I was hearing things then my little dog started barking. I thought it was my father coming home because he had to get a tool or something which happened often, so I just got up and opened the door. Who else would just use the door knob rather then knock. To my surprise I see two young men standing there with a deer in the headlights look. One did all the talking saying "wheres that dude?" I was like what dude? "That dude that lives here" I responded by saying there is no dude here and hurried to shut the door. I didn't hesitate to pick up the phone, although I didn't call the police I called my father who called the police for me. There had been a series of break-ins in my county and the next one over. The police said my description was the best so far. This happened at 10 a.m. at my parents front door. Therefore I am now aware no matter what time of day and where I am.

cheko1
02-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I live way out in the country I am not afraid to be alone.
We have a cabin up North it is in very desolate country, I am not afraid to be alone. I have my 2 granddaughters alot & I am never afraid.

We bought land in Fl for when we retire it has a single wide trailer on it. Hubby is planning on building eventually. I am afraid there! No reasoning why, except its very dark & in a remote area. He says I read WS to much!!! LOL :eek:

concentric
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
It's not safe in the city, suburbs or country to leave your doors unlocked.

ROBLYN
02-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Yes, i would be Frightened! Grew up in what could be considered the country(no street lights/lakes/land). I am AFRAID of the dark and would Hate it! Just went camping this year for the first time since childhood, with the family and still didn't like the dark...Had a blast, but skeered of night sounds...My parents live on 80 acres now and love it.

Clear enough No Way Jose(couldn't resist:))would i be alone out there, even with my yippy loud dogs.

PattyCake
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Unless it's known to be an unsafe area, absolutely not. I have a very 'remote' house in Mexico near a small fishing village. I take my children there without my husband without a second thought.

Gracenote
02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
yes plus that area of florida has a lot of skunk ape/bigfoot sightings. im terrified of bigfoot.

Me, too! I am also afraid of tornados which can wreak havok on mobile homes. The isolated/country part is the part I would like. It's no more dangerous than living in my neighborhood or any other area. And, it's peaceful and beautiful. Well, for the most part.

ElementaryDearWatson
02-23-2009, 12:22 AM
My husband is a Police Officer and works 12 hour shifts, 7am to 7pm. I have 2 dogs, a Lab and a Pit Bull, I have guns in the house, I live in the subburbs, my mother lives 6 blocks away and I have 2 little girls and I am still afraid at night.

Midnight123
02-23-2009, 12:44 AM
I had 3 kids, 5 and under, and lived way out in the country. The nearest neighbors lived down the road aways and I didn't even have a phone! My husband was a deputy and worked the night shift.
I was harassed for 2 weeks of and on by someone who knew my husband's work hours. They wouldn't come and bother us when my husband was home, even when he hid the car. They tried to open my door and would walk around on the porch and try to scare me. I was scared but never made a noise. I had a shotgun I slept with(actually rarely could sleep). I was afraid to look out the window and see who it was. Never did find out who it was. It stopped after 2 weeks. Needless to say, I was scared to death!:eek:
I would be scared with 44 SO's all around me.:chicken:

easttexas
02-23-2009, 12:55 AM
At MC age I would have been scared of being there alone. I didn't out grow that fear until my late 20's. Still, when DH travels for work I talk on the phone to family until I am so sleepy that I won't wake in the middle of the night. We have a dog...and he is way worse than I am LOL....he never barks until DH is gone and then he is all nerves just like I am. So, if he hears something I hear two. But, thankfully, this is a rare occassion. During my divorced years I just got used to being alone at night.

drip~drop
02-23-2009, 01:22 AM

I get yelled at cuz i lock the doors. lol better safe then sorry i say.

plenty enough times that i leave for down the road and forget the door's wide open. so far-- so lucky.:bang:

cajun
02-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I am so much safer out in the country than I would ever be in town. I was alone with 3 kids most of the time, their daddy drove a truck and would be gone weeks at a time. I've never ever feared for my safety out here. They are all grown now, so I am out here by myself sometimes days on end.

No back alleys for idiots to sneak down, no roving bands of teens cruising the streets, no drunks walking down the street..

You know that song...

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

cajun
02-23-2009, 02:10 AM

Are you in NOLA?

cajun
02-23-2009, 02:15 AM
I feel more comfortable in the boonies than in an apartment complex within the city. Of course, I am prepared with a 9mm, a shotgun, and a machete behind the headboard of the bed. I also have a good security system. Ron and Misty probably could not have afforded a security system, but I bet they had guns in the house, and I have relatives that are a LOT like Ron and Misty. They are tough people who are scared of almost nothing. Life has been hard on them, and they simply roll with the punches. They don't expect much from life, and they are ready to deal with whatever comes their way. That is the exact reason, I am not surprised by Ron's reaction and statements during the 911 call. My life is currently a far cry from that of Ron and Misty......but that is only because I made choices the rest of my relatives did not make. I can also assure you that children growing up in a situation that is less than affluent can grow up in a GREAT environment - I did. The pictures of Haleigh looked happy, and Ron is sincere in his love and sense of loss, IMHO.

Good gawd, you sound like me. I have a pit bull, 12 ga. shotgun,30-30 Winchester, my old 9 shot .22 revolver and a .40 s & w. I am loaded for bear, LOL.

Kimster
02-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I'd be okay with a security system, a gun and a dog. LOL

But when I was a 17 year old girl, it wouldn't have bothered me at all back then. I thought I was invincible!!!

:borgsmile:

Kimster
02-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Forgot to mention, it would be my RAY gun, of course!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l73/rego123/images.jpg

Zoe Bogart
02-23-2009, 02:46 AM

I voted "Nope". Like you, not_my_kids, I've lived in murder capitals, two of them, when they were each the murder capital, so why would I squirm living in a trailer in a nice secluded rural area? Do I have to bring the kids? The peace and quiet sound soooooo inviting. Maybe I'll bring along a gun for company. :wink:

Are you in NOLA?

I wonder the same. :crosseyed:

amysmom
02-23-2009, 02:50 AM
YES! I've had a phobic fear of remote areas but mostly woods & it started long before 'Deliverance' was a movie..I can't even force myself to walk thru woods in broad daylight with other ppl..It creeps me out that much..Maybe it's cos I know how many murdered bodies have been dumped or buried there..Maybe it's this crazy thought in my head that kooks/killers hang around there waiting for their victim (s)..I know that sounds like it came from 'Deliverance' but it didn't. lol

The mountains up north are breathtaking to look at from a distance but I don't ever vacation there..I often go south to the beach where it may be somewhat remote but there's a very diff vibe.

I live in the burbs where the crime rate is very low, nobody's been murdered in their home in the 30+ years I've been here, & few if any own a gun..I still keep my doors locked day&night even tho I don't live alone.

I had a lab for 11 years who barked at anything & everything during the day but was useless at night..It's a good thing we never needed him to scare anyone off cos he slept like he was in a coma! On the handful of nights I have spent overnight alone I didn't fall asleep to the sun was starting to come up..That's how afraid I was & for no real reason. <sigh>

So! After all that, lol, I wouldn't be caught dead (no pun!) left alone with (or without) kids at night like Misty was..I'd never live there period! No way, no how!

Aries72
02-23-2009, 04:12 AM
I wouldn't be afraid. My parents use to let me stay at home alone when they went on fishing trips. I was in my late teens at the time. Their house sits back off the road a bit & is surrounded by woods. Now, I'm a single mom so I'm alone with a kid most of the time. I'm also one of those people that will go and look when I hear something.

On the other hand, my brother lives way out in the boonies. I was visiting them one night and we were sitting on his back porch. I heard this god awful sound that freaked me the hell out!! I was shaking and he said my face was ghost white. After he finished laughing at me, he said it was only a bobcat "screaming". Whatever. That was the scariest, most horrible sound that I've ever heard in my life and I never want to hear it again!! **Shivers** I've also heard coyotes while I was at his house. I can't handle the wild animal noises.

Egoslayer
02-23-2009, 04:18 AM
I would feel safe. I've lived in much less safe environments. I think that the key is to stay out of trouble. That is not a guarantee that you will not be affected by crime but it greatly lowers your risk (imo). I would feel even better if the door was locked.

I wouldn't have a gun around kids. Lost a childhood friend that way.

smart blonde
02-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Yes. I would be scared witless.
I've lived in big cities, I've lived in the suburbs, I've lived in the desert, and I've lived in the country.
The only place that frightens me at night is the vast, dark, remoteness of wooded areas.
Too many places for 'THEM' to hide, too far away for rescuers to hear me scream.
Okay, I just scared myself typing that.
I'm such a wuss.

Duelist Pearl
02-23-2009, 07:38 AM
I live out in the country....always have and wouldn't want it any other way!!! We have the occassional kids who like to mess around at our swimming hole but other than that its pretty darn peaceful. We are always prepared however.... shotgun within reach ....dog is always on alert....I would never want to live in a city or even a small town like the ones around me.

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2009, 08:38 AM
If RC & MC would have had a dog - we all wouldn't be here talking about where's Haleigh.

Have to add a "drug fact" in here. People who do coke are VERY PARANOID when they are high (I have witnessed this). So I would think MC (if doing drugs) would have had a "heightened awareness" of being there alone with the kids. Maybe that's why they all slept in the same room.

MeoW333
02-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I've lived in a trailer in the rural backwoods of SC with my sister and her 2 children, we also had a big Boxer dog and also a little shihtzu mix. There was many times where i'd be home alone at night or with the kids at night. It was eerie at first, i got used to it and i'd have to go outside on the stoop to smoke a cigarette. The dogs would carry on if anyone was on the property. (empty lots of woods all around us, another trailer way down in the back with a car graveyard of 30+ cars. The police wouldn't come to the area unless they got called, it was never patroled. I'd prefer country over suburbia and city any day!

amysmom
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Yes. I would be scared witless.
I've lived in big cities, I've lived in the suburbs, I've lived in the desert, and I've lived in the country.
The only place that frightens me at night is the vast, dark, remoteness of wooded areas.
Too many places for 'THEM' to hide, too far away for rescuers to hear me scream.
Okay, I just scared myself typing that.
I'm such a wuss.

I forget about that one! Thanks for reminding me :eek:

LFlorida
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
If RC & MC would have had a dog - we all wouldn't be here talking about where's Haleigh.

Have to add a "drug fact" in here. People who do coke are VERY PARANOID when they are high (I have witnessed this). So I would think MC (if doing drugs) would have had a "heightened awareness" of being there alone with the kids. Maybe that's why they all slept in the same room.

Every time there has been a theft at/near my proprety, the main things the cops tell us are -
1. A barking dog is much better than any security system you can have installed. Big or small, as long as they will bark.
2. Use motion detector lights - and use them correctly.

Was it coke that R was busted with? [Just thinking out loud. You don't have to answer that.] And, yeah, it would make you paranoid as all get-out. So would meth, I imagine.

TxLady2
02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
We live in the country and although there are houses fairly close, they wouldn't hear us if we screamed, unless they were out in the yard. I wasn't scared for years, but now I am, unless my husband is home. There have been a lot of breakins recently in our area. But I can definitely understand a young girl like Misty being scared there with two small children. She will probably be more scared now, after this.
About 3 years ago, I stayed with my two grandsons the night their baby sister was born, and their back door wouldn't close well enough to lock. I was terrified! The closest house was about 150 yds away, and I didn't know the people at all. I was really glad when he got home about 2 a.m.

missouriangels
02-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't I raised both my kids in a trailer out in a remote area and I felt very safe..Of course there were times when I was scared but not too often..

lolype29
02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest with you all... but then I was raised in a rural part of Co. 20 miles from town.. no neighbors...

I think I would be on edge with all those SO, but really they aren't all active SO seeking their next victims, or they wouldn't have been released. Sure some do reoffend, but there are SO all over the world, in every neighborhood. Many haven't been caught, as most sex crimes go unreported..

I guess I just don't like town cause of the people... seems to me the more people the more conflicts.

Reality Orlando
02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I live in the country and love it! I have two dogs and a .38 in my bedside table. I pity anyone who tries to break in...I'd have no second thoughts on pulling the trigger. I also think small country areas are known to have well armed residents...hunters, private folk who don't take kindly to strangers...a deterent in itself. I can't think of one neighbor who doesn't at least have a shotgun and one or more dogs. Our crime rate is extremely low compared to more urban living areas. In all the years I've lived here...not a single problem, yet when I lived in an "upscale" home for just a couple years, it was broken into once when I wasn't there and another time my daughter and I were playing cards and a guy jumped the fence from behind my house into my yard (we could hear an alarm going off in a house behind us). My Chow chomped down on his leg and slowed him down enough that although he made it out our gate, he was arrested a few minutes later. Funny story...the guy tried to sue me for pain and suffering a few months later due to the dog bite. Duh....

BTW, I signed up for the email alert from my local sheriff's office and get info on all felon's who move into my zip code. Easy to do and I would imagine if my small town force has this option, many more would as well. I think many people would be shocked to know how many felons/SO live within just a few miles of their homes, even in the better neighborhoods!

not_my_kids
02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Are you in NOLA?

Flint MI, turns out that out of the 130,000 people in my county, 598 of them are RSO's. :eek:
ANd those are just the registered ones.
Considering that the recidivism rate for sex offenders is over 80%, I am not comforted by knowing these guys and gals were already caught once.

jaimie43
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Im at home alone during the week (hubby drives a truck) with two kids, 6 dogs and 11 guns. We live in the woods, in the country on 5 acres. We have neighbors but they arent "close" I guess. They are close enough that they could hear me screaming tho I hope! We have a remote control gate from the main gravel road to our drive so I know nobody could drive to my house. Just gotta say I never locked my doors until I started reading here! lol...Biggest problem here is drunks driving the roads late at night and occasionally thievery-in broad daylight no less.

concentric
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm afraid no matter where I have lived, be it country, city or suburbs, 'cause there was always some freak that would try to "mess with you."

When I was a kid, living in the country, it was the stranger hiding behind the tree with a butcher knife while we went swimming. Or the time the 2 men came to our door claiming their car broke down and they needed to use the phone. When we wouldn't let them in, they tried to break down the door.

In the city, there was the nice landlord who eventually attacked you, the stalking neighbor who lived on the same floor or the psycho guy who followed you home everyday, the pimp lurking in the alley who said he "just wanted to talk," or when you went to get your car in the parking garage, you saw some figure crouching down in the stairwell.

Then, in the suburbs there was the kind neighbor who you thought was really helpful, but in fact was a sexual predator.

Pollywog
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I lived in the boonies on my grandmothers property, but I hated it. It was spooky and it would have taken the LE or fire department forever to get there if something had happened. I certainly would not live in an area where there are SO's if I had children.

SailorMoon
02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I voted no since I lived in a similar situation just a couple of years ago, and then way before that. When you get the impression out there that you are one crazy woman, not afraid to protect her own....not too many people would dare come into my yard. Seriously. Our door didn't even shut. Let alone lock.

Theonly1
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I voted for "skeered" as I would be even if I had a big dog or two.

shotzie
02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
When I lived on my ranch way out in the boonies, I was never afraid I Had 6 big dogs..never locked my door..

Now I live in the city 2 dogs, am more nervous,Lock all the doors, but I have a 38..so come on ahead..Just call me "pistol packin momma.".:woohoo:Today is totally different that 15 yrs ago when I had my ranch.Too much crime

tiredofthis
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

concentric
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh, I have another incident to add to my list of scary encounters in the country:

Once I was backpacking and camping with a friend up in the mountains and when we came back down to our car at the trailhead (where nothing had ever happened before) our car was shot full of bullet holes, our car trunk had been ransacked and we were informed later that a fugitive was hiding out in the area and was on the loose.

tiredofthis
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh, I have another incident to add to my list of scary encounters in the country:

Once I was backpacking and camping with a friend up in the mountains and when we came back down to our car at the trailhead (where nothing had ever happened before) our car was shot full of bullet holes, our car trunk had been ransacked and we were informed later that a fugitive was hiding out in the area and was on the loose.

OMG! That's it! I'm never going into the country again!

Just kidding. There are crazy people everywhere. I'm glad you and your friend weren't around when it happened.

Angelonline
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I would not be afraid. Crime rates in the city are much higher than the country. Plus the amount of RSO is very very high in most citys.
One Poster said: " I certainly would not live in an area where there are SO's if I had children."... Well, I am afraid that is impossible in todays world. Check http://www.familywatchdog.us/ type in your address and see how many RSO's in your area. I have never seen it say 0. Plus if an area has no registered SO's there is always the unregistered. Sad but true.

moo-shoe
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
voted 'not with a big dog, security system and a gun'
I live in the country, and everyone watches out for everyone else. And I have a tiny dog, no gun, and no security system. LOL However, no trailer either. That might make a difference. If there's a different car in our "neighborhood" for more than a day, EVERYONE knows about it. And I LIKE that. Personally, I always had the feeling of being watched when we lived in the 'burbs.....

concentric
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
OMG! That's it! I'm never going into the country again!

Just kidding. There are crazy people every where. I'm glad you and your friend weren't around when it happened.

un huh, me too:nerves:

samsmom02
02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I grew up in the country, the woods actually. I was never scared. We never locked our doors and never had any problems. It has only been in the last 5 or so years that I know keep a dog in the house to be alerted if someone tries to come in a take my kids. We used to only worry about our kids in the yard playing. Predators are now coming into our houses and stealing our kids out of their beds. And yes I sleep like the dead, but with 3 mini dachshunds that bark at everything, I wake up to their barking.

concentric
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
I grew up in the country, the woods actually. I was never scared. We never locked our doors and never had any problems. It has only been in the last 5 or so years that I know keep a dog in the house to be alerted if someone tries to come in a take my kids. We used to only worry about our kids in the yard playing. Predators are now coming into our houses and stealing our kids out of their beds. And yes I sleep like the dead, but with 3 mini dachshunds that bark at everything, I wake up to their barking.

I swear those mini dachshunds could even detect spiritual beings!

I grew up in the woods, well, no not feral, but in the countryside area and I was more afraid of what went on inside our house than outside.

Indigo
02-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I've always lived in the country, so it wouldn't scare me. Crime statistics in the area would be a consideration though.

KR2tonenow
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I think for the most part the Family of Haleigh has been raised in this rural part of Florida. I was looking at the photo of the woods that face out the backdoor, and they are probably aware that past offenders SO's and cons live in the vicinity. I would NOT feel safe. I wouldn't live there, and I sure as heck would not live there with a child under 15 years old!

Nagasama
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
If you were seventeen with two small children in your care?? Absolutely! I don't think you'd be propping the back door open, either. I had my back door open taking trash out once and came back in to a big ole Florida black snake in my kitchen.

nitasch
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Not at all. I grew up in a farm community, very rural, then moved to a very populated Phoenix AZ, then to San Diego CA where I lived for 8 years....then to SLC where I live now, with a second home in the woods in VA. I would much rather move the kids to VA to live in the woods...I feel much more safe there...and the crime rate per capita proves it is a safer area to live.

I was babysitting little kids when I was 13, parents coming home at 3:00 AM (bars closed around 2 AM) out in rural type mobile home parks in the "city" portion of where I grew up....never recall a moment where I was frightened, with the exception of the time my jerk sister and her friends decided to come bang on the side of the mobile home to try and scare me....it worked till I looked out and saw her car.

I checked last week, and we have 25 SO on the list within a two mile radius of my house....we lock our doors, have a dog, and a security system here....

dunlurken
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I would be afraid. Especially if I had two small children in my care. Unfortunately, what's her name, had no idea what could have happened. Oh yeah. Misty.

They say ignorance is bliss.... sometimes I think it works the other way..... too much information. That's me.

tiredofthis
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
If you were seventeen with two small children in your care?? Absolutely! I don't think you'd be propping the back door open, either. I had my back door open taking trash out once and came back in to a big ole Florida black snake in my kitchen.

Eeeeeeeew! :eek: I am scared of snakes!

concentric
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
A lot of people are just plain fortunate to have not been crime victims.

desertmom
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I voted yes, because absolutely, I would be very scared. But for most of these people, if its not been pointed out already, this is their way of life. They have probably lived this way since they were little, so they think nothing of it.

Short_Stuff
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I was from the big city (and got hassled about it constantly by suburban friends, but I loved it and still miss it!)
I recently (2 years ago) moved to the country because I got married.
People I know are naive, they do not realize things can happen no matter where you live.
So I feel the same way no matter where I live and try to use common sense to avoid situations.
Thats all any of us can do in these times.

katsina
02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of it.

I am not either. We have a Great Pyrenees and he can be pretty intimidating.

Egoslayer
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM

You might have a point. I have a little toy poodle that has no other use but cuddling, but he barks like crazy when he senses anyone on our property. He sounds like a big dog so the mail-people are always scared to knock on the door (he barks before they're even at the door). Even though he's tiny he'd be good at scaring people off.

txsvicki
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I think for the most part the Family of Haleigh has been raised in this rural part of Florida. I was looking at the photo of the woods that face out the backdoor, and they are probably aware that past offenders SO's and cons live in the vicinity. I would NOT feel safe. I wouldn't live there, and I sure as heck would not live there with a child under 15 years old!

Does anyone have a link to an actual photo of the area around the trailer? I've seen the google map route that the dogs took, but would like to see a pic.

emmeblu
02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
If I were 17 with 2 small kids to care for.. yes, I'd be afraid at night.
Especially with the area being infested with sex offenders.

<insert running chicken>

txsvicki
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
One thing no one is mentioning is why didn't Misti leave on a light somewhere in the house at night especially if Junior was getting up as she went to sleep and Haleigh was afraid of the dark. I know electricity bills can be an issue, but most girls, women would leave at least one light on if the husband weren't home, I think.

Beyond Belief
02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
I am thinking the tv was on in the bedroom, thus some light. Big question: Why weren't the outside lights on or were they? Is Ron suppose to stumble thru the dark, insert a key at 3:30 in the morning?

angelaware
02-24-2009, 03:23 AM
I would be scared. And I would for sure have the outside lights on and a light in the living room.

I probably wouldn't be able to sleep until my hubby got home.

That might be a reason for having the kids in bed with her.

Issi
02-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Has anyone else pulled up the street view on Goggle of the street that runs along their plat? It actually doesn't look like that bad of a little neighborhood.

Still doesn't make me want to live there... I lived in the middle of nowhere for a long time and hated it... I'm more of a city mouse.

felineforlorn
02-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Does anyone have a link to an actual photo of the area around the trailer? I've seen the google map route that the dogs took, but would like to see a pic.

Not sure if this will work, if not, click on aerial and keep zooming in. Can't see super closeup of their house or yard but you can see the tracks and where the streets are

http://www.familywatchdog.us/ShowMap.asp?frm=0

felineforlorn
02-24-2009, 05:35 AM
ahh stinker it didn't work. go to familywatchdog.us and do offender search, enter 202 green satsuma FL in the addy. (If that is incorrect addy let me know, but that is the one I found.) Then click aerial and keep zooming in.

Bobbisangel
02-24-2009, 05:46 AM
I grew up in a country community but there were houses close by. At 17 yrs there is no way I would have even babysat out in the country with no other houses around. I would have been scared to death. Now it probably wouldn't bother me as long as I had a big mean dog outside and another inside and a gun handy! We live in a scary world and you never know where the crazys are. It wouldn't bother me if there were houses around and then the woods, etc. I would never live out in the dingles with no one else around though.

adc
02-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I would be very scared. This might have already been mentioned but I would think natural instinct would be to close the door. If you wake up, it's dark, you're alone and the door is hanging wide open at 3am I would close the door.

She sat with the door open waiting for him to get home. Strikes me really odd.

MeoW333
02-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I am thinking the tv was on in the bedroom, thus some light. Big question: Why weren't the outside lights on or were they? Is Ron suppose to stumble thru the dark, insert a key at 3:30 in the morning?

Do you think they had working outside lights? If they'd only lived there a couple months or so, maybe they never got a chance to install them?
When i lived in the woods in a trailer, we never had outside lights aside from a porch light. If it wasn't on and no one was home, we got home at night, sometimes my sister would leave her car running with the headlights on the trailer until she got the door unlocked.

MeoW333
02-24-2009, 08:10 AM
ps- imo i think sometimes people who are used to living in the country with less light have better night vision as they are used to it being darker than those who live in cities..

ElizaAvalon
02-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Depending on where it is.

In that part of Florida with that many sex offenders and all those guns?

Hmmm... I'd be on my guard, that's for sure.

cc81
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I've been a country girl my whole life and am home alone with my daughters quite frequently.. I would not be scared unless I knew there were SO's near by!

if I knew there were even 5 SO's in my area I would NOT live here!

Trino
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, meth dealers have discovered the isolation of the country-side. Mostly, however, they leave neighbors alone and are eventually caught. They usually don't fit the persona of rural people.

yolorado
02-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I've always had one or more relatives who lived in the boonies and those who'd break into their houses should be the ones who are afraid because everyone in the house can come up with a gun in short order, even in the middle of the night in total darkness, knows how to use it and their dogs are always VERY protective.

Having said that, it would surprize me if Misty didn't have access to a gun in Ron's trailer, but for some reason that didn't stop whatever happened from happening. What's truly frightening is the exposed fact that SO's will GO IN to houses to carry out their victims...Jessica L, Elizabeth S, Polly, K, Danielle, etc.

Clock's Tickin
02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
No-but I'm not 17. I remember 17-20 some odd years gone now-I wouldn't have known to be scared at 17, that was my invincible age where nothing bad could happen to me. I didn't learn fear until somewhere in my early 20's....

Searchfortruth
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Most definitely, I would be scared. I think, for the most part, trailers are easier to break into. I would have to have a big dog and the lights on at the very least.

Angelray
02-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I was 17 had two children and lived alone with them. I was never really what you say scared because I always put extra locks on the doors and always slept with a 22 (of course with the safety on) I always figured living in town was far more dangerous.

BetsyB
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
The remoteness, per se, would not frighten me. But I would be terrified to live as the caretaker of Ronald Cummings's children in that location with the constellation of people surrounding that home.

FightTheOstrich
02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Now that I am a mother, I am always afraid b/c I am now responsible for someone else.

Manny
02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I voted "with a dog" but it would have to be a trained doberman. I click on a clicker and he would go for throat.
I don't like guns. Probably end up shooting myself in the foot

txsvicki
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
My mother had a friend who lived alone and she had a bolt lock on her bedroom door, a dog in there with her to warn of noises, and a gun in her bedstand. A bolt lock on the bedroom door would have been a good idea since Misti and the kids slept in there together anyway.

sweet emotions
02-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Florida, darkness, silence, gators ... are u kidding me. I would be unbelievably frightened day or night.

WholeLottaRosie
02-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Heck yeah! I am a bit less than three times Misty's age, and I am afraid in a semi urban setting when my DH is away. I can't imagine the trailer in the country.

Patty G
02-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Nope, I wouldn't be afraid living in a mobile home in any area as I live in a mobile home in Florida. I wouldn't be afraid of living in a "stick" build home in a remote area either. I figure, if someone wants to get into the house (mobile or stick built) , it doesn't matter how many locks you have on your windows and doors.

concentric
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I grew up in a country community but there were houses close by. At 17 yrs there is no way I would have even babysat out in the country with no other houses around. I would have been scared to death. Now it probably wouldn't bother me as long as I had a big mean dog outside and another inside and a gun handy! We live in a scary world and you never know where the crazys are. It wouldn't bother me if there were houses around and then the woods, etc. I would never live out in the dingles with no one else around though.

Wonder if it could be the reverse? A 17 yr. old may not be wise to the evil that exists in the word; therefore, she has a more trusting nature to anyone and everything.

tiredofthis
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Wonder if it could be the reverse? A 17 yr. old may not be wise to the evil that exists in the word; therefore, she has a more trusting nature to anyone and everything.

I know I was very trusting at that age.

kgeaux
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I moved out of my family's home when I graduated from highschool----I was 16. I gathered up my graduation money and rented a little house in a low-income, high-crime area of Lafayette. I had another girl for a roommate. Our very first day there, three beautiful elderly African American women came to our door asking "What are you two white girls doing up in this neighborhood??" They warned us to be VERY careful.

But I wasn't afraid. Even when my roommate wasn't home, I was perfectly comfortable. My family likes to say "kgeaux isn't afraid of the devil." I just don't get afraid very easily.

kgeaux
02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I lived in the boonies on my grandmothers property, but I hated it. It was spooky and it would have taken the LE or fire department forever to get there if something had happened. I certainly would not live in an area where there are SO's if I had children.

Good luck with that desire! I live in a wonderful middle-to-upper class area and when someone posted the link to find where registered sex offenders were living in my town, I was horrified to find 26 of them within two miles of my home.

player
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Gotta love the fear of the country. FYI I was raised in Detroit and Miami. Left Detroit in 1998 for a return to Fla permanently. I still have a cottage in Michigan that is 7 miles from the nearest pavement. I live in Satsuma in a built up area inback of me is Ron and Misty (was). They were nextdoor to me until Nov 08. This is almost city Rons' place and several others are on unimproved roads. The rest are paved streets. Most of the time my house is left unlocked. I have no fear of "the country". I have no fear of the city my .357 will comfort me in the face on mine enemies. My 9mm will guide me besides the still waters and surely my pump Ithica 12 ga will lead mine enemies into the paths of rightesnous. And surely they will dwell in the house with satan. My wierd sense of humor. Lets bring Haliegh home.

stormy2919
03-12-2009, 10:51 PM

I do it 4 days a week

mimimama5
03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
no I wouldn't, not at all. I live in a very rural area, and my hubs travels extensively for work. I feel safe and secure in my home with our little children. I suppose I should be a little more fearful, but I never allow ANYONE I do not know very well past the porch! Plus you have to get through my rottweiler, my cattle dog who hates everybody but me, and my vicious chihuahua..,.shes 4 lbs of pure intimidation lol! I know my neighbors very well, and they all know everyone in this town. If someone new were to show up in town, everybody would circle the wagons! We would all know before a newbie reached main street lol!

wallflower67
03-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I answered no, with the security system, the gun and the dog lol! I'm also a black belt in Hapkido. But being woken from sleep would throw me for a loop. And I sleep through a lot of stuff. Like a huge thunderstorm the other night that my now deceased, kind-but-scary-looking dog would have let me know about. I've slept through the security system going off. The dogs don't! I don't know much about guns, but if i was going to live in a trailer in a remote area, I'd learn from an expert ASAP.

Lexington
03-13-2009, 05:05 AM
Being a city girl all of my life, I would be afraid to spend time alone in a remote trailer with 2 kids in my care. However, in this case, I would be more afraid of what might occur "when daddy got home".

kiki the parrot
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Only if dad was there... JMO

:parrot:

nnglas
03-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't think she would have been scared. When I was 17 I did alot of stupid things. We had a store not far from our house and I would walk up there in the middle of the night without thinking about it, and people wouldn't even know I was gone. I would never do that now, but then...... You just don't think about stuff like that. I used to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night too. I never once thought about if something happened to me nobody would know.

ETA: I also think that she wouldn't have had any problems leaving those children alone while she went somewhere either.

blupencl
03-15-2009, 10:47 AM
That's the way I raised my children - for 30 years. :) I got spooked maybe 10 times in all those years, when my DH was working at night. You could not see or hear anything from my house. I had a big fat hawg-leg next to me all the time, though, LOL. I would have used it, too.

Lynni
03-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, I would be scared if I was Misty. I am a big chicken by nature and have been scared of the dark and night for over 40 years now....:innocent:

akashana
03-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I've never been scared in my own home with the doors locked. Of course, my "security system" is 6 loud dogs that don't let a cricket cross the threshold without announcing it to me. I figure that if somebody wants to harm me that badly, they will wait until I have left my house rather than attempt to break in with the dogs.

dr dona
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm a country girl. Walked country roads in the middle of the night to a cemetary to see if anything/or anybody haunted the place, Give me a good dog and I'm fine. If i had a gun I'd probably shoot myself:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Trino
03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't think she would have been scared. When I was 17 I did alot of stupid things. We had a store not far from our house and I would walk up there in the middle of the night without thinking about it, and people wouldn't even know I was gone. I would never do that now, but then...... You just don't think about stuff like that. I used to sneak out of the house in the middle of the night too. I never once thought about if something happened to me nobody would know.

ETA: I also think that she wouldn't have had any problems leaving those children alone while she went somewhere either.

We lived in a semi-rural area, and in summer my girlfriend and I several times slipped out of our houses at night w/o a thought that someone easily could have abducted one or both of us. I can't recall that we did anything special. We'd mostly just talk and walk around the neighborhood. I think it was more of the challenge in slipping out than being out.

But back to M. I just can't see a 17 yr old sitting home night after night with two small children. Who were/are her friends? Have we heard?

DebC
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
I'd need a dog, and a nice handy row of prickly cactus plants to lob at will.

SunBug
03-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I did live in a mobile home in the country alone with my kids for a period of time while my husband was away with the Army. I was never scared but I did keep the doors and windows locked at all times and I did have a gun.

This was almost 20 years ago and the world was a nicer place then though.

Becky319
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Having lived rural for 26 years now I am not scared. I figure if anybody found me where I am living they were looking for me in particular not just some random kick the door in and rob you type crime. And us rural folks tend to have big and loud dogs and atleast a deer rifle. With them living in a MHP she probably knew everybody and felt secure, and I haven't heard but maybe she has always lived in a community like that growing up.

Tiki
03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm having a convo with my son about this currently. I live in a small town in NY - hate it - noisy and sooty. He's in San Francisco and wants me to move there. I like to visit that city but would have to live in Lake Country or outside of Gilroy - I need quiet and birdsongs and room for a garden. And yes, a dog. Pitty, Rotty or Germ. Shepard - when I was younger, a big Collie/Goldy mix was a really good alarm system (miss you, Libby).
He'll have to find me a place to rent - to old to be a single homeowner now - good luck with that, kid.

Razzle
03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I voted yes, but I am scared in the city too. Much more in the city, actually. I feel like there is a greater chance of being the victim of a random home invasion in the city than in the country. I have always lived in the city, but the country feels safer to me.

Having a person break into my house while I am home is my biggest fear. I try to avoid stories about robberies.

concentric
03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Lived in both, they both have their benefits and drawbacks:

Country living: less nutso freaks, but more isolation = greater opportunity for them.

City living: greater concentration of nutso freaks = greater chance of us being a victim, but also more non-nutso freaks in area that can aid you in an attack.

Razzle
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Country living: less nutso freaks, but more isolation = greater opportunity for them.

City living: greater concentration of nutso freaks = greater chance of us being a victim, but also more non-nutso freaks in area that can aid you in an attack.

Exacly!!!!

Miss Anarchy
03-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't

Issi
03-28-2009, 01:02 AM
At the age of 17, my sister wielded a very large kitchen knife at a would be intruder... She showed the knife through the window... under the curtains and over the glass.

Needless to say, the intruder aborted his attempt to break in.

Claycat
03-28-2009, 01:10 AM

Did you know that, proportionally, there are more psychotic people in rural areas and more neurotic people in urban areas! Just a little trivia for you!

PolyGraph
03-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I grew up in a country community but there were houses close by. At 17 yrs there is no way I would have even babysat out in the country with no other houses around. I would have been scared to death. Now it probably wouldn't bother me as long as I had a big mean dog outside and another inside and a gun handy! We live in a scary world and you never know where the crazys are. It wouldn't bother me if there were houses around and then the woods, etc. I would never live out in the dingles with no one else around though. hahahaha that is exactly where I live, anyone every been to the Poconos??? its nothing but woods and more woods and bears, I moved here because you got more bang for your buck and all, a nice house but scary as crap alone at night! I really need to get a dog, If I didnt have two jobs and two little kids to raise I would have more time for a pet but time is not an option, also I cannot get a gun (because of the little ones) so now Im looking for a stun gun or something lol But If I were in a scary trailer in the middle of the woods with two little kids and I was only 17 It could be kind of freaky I guess.

Peekaboo10
04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I have only ever lived in the city, so to me it seems very scary.

DotsEyes
04-13-2009, 05:46 PM
If you are used to living in rural areas, it isn't scary. If you have a Baretta in the house, it is even less frightening.

MC had both kids in the room with her. This tells me that she felt more secure with them in the same room rather than having them on the other side of the house. So, she was trying to keep them close while they slept to better keep an eye/ear on them.

It just didnt' work out that way.

lonetraveler
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
hahahaha that is exactly where I live, anyone every been to the Poconos??? its nothing but woods and more woods and bears, I moved here because you got more bang for your buck and all, a nice house but scary as crap alone at night! I really need to get a dog, If I didnt have two jobs and two little kids to raise I would have more time for a pet but time is not an option, also I cannot get a gun (because of the little ones) so now Im looking for a stun gun or something lol But If I were in a scary trailer in the middle of the woods with two little kids and I was only 17 It could be kind of freaky I guess.

---
Trust me, get a pistol and get training on how to use it and how to keep it safe from children. You do not want to get close to someone who means you harm with a stun gun. The criminal will take it away from you and most likely use it on you to control you. You really need a big, protective dog also. I have traveled in my job and worked late at night and never felt safe until I got a boxer for my disabled husband. He is a very affectionate and protective family member. The neighbors called 911 one night while I was away on business because my dog was attacking someone trying to get into the house. Le called me to let me know that they were in my home and that my husband was safe. Of course, my husband had to put my dog in the bedroom to talk with LE because the dog was very upset. I knew that Oscar, my dog would protect my husband. My husband is gone now, but Oscar still protects me. I also have a pistol and will not hestitate to use it. I also have grandchildren around. My pistol is in a safe place that I can get to in an emergency. I know that my dog will give me the precious time I would need to get to the pistol. I have had to use my pistol to save my life before and I know that if I had not had it, I would not be alive today.

lonetraveler
04-18-2009, 10:07 PM
---
In my line of work, I have lived in very rural areas and I have lived in big cities. I have actually felt in danger more in the big cities than in the rural areas.

Button
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I used to live in a small town, where the most crime we had was minors drinking.
Now I live in a small city, with 34 registered sex offenders in a 1 mile radius of my house.

IMO it's a lot scarier to be home alone now than when I lived in the middle of nowhere.

Tom'sGirl
04-27-2009, 10:40 PM
You'd think they would have replaced/repaired the skirting around the place before they took some of these photos.
http://satsuma.fl.house.info/234688-house-rent (http://satsuma.fl.house.info/234688-house-rent)

KenoshaKid
05-01-2009, 03:13 PM

I've lived in cities all my life, then I moved to rural Va when I was in my 40's. I wasn't here very long when my hubby died, leaving me in the house all alone in the woods. No street lights, no sidewalks, no close neighbors.. If I came home and it was already dark out, I would open my car door and RUN to the front door and scurry in (where my 2 dogs were waiting). It took me over a year before I wasn't terrified of being in the country at night - its so DARK!! And there are animals and screech-owls and whatnot. Now I can actually sit on the back porch like a big gurrrl and not be all skeered....:p

BrKnHrT
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I think I would be frightened by being there all alone with the kids that late at night, especially at Misty's age. I can remember babysitting when I was young and by 11 at night I would be hearing all kinds of noises after the kids were in bed. Skeerdy cat was me.

lil momma
05-05-2009, 09:34 AM
i think it depends on where you are raised. if i was raised in an atmosphere like one that MC and RC are in, i don't think i would be scared, however, if i came from the city and then moved there, of course i would be freaked out of my mind. Especially knowing i am going to be raising 2 small children where there are so many SO/RSO. (i think that is the scariest part about it, but then again, i did so much research before i decided to move b/c i did not want to put myself (who was single) nor my son (who was 2years at the time) in that type of enviroment. (it was how i was taught)

everything i post is MOO!!!!!!

MTgal
05-05-2009, 07:03 PM
To be honest I would not be anymore afraid to be in a trailer than I would be to be in a house. Not really sure why it would make a difference. With that said, No I would not be afraid at all. I live in what would be considered the country and I feel much safer than I did when I lived in town. I am more afraid of the mountain lions, bears, racoons, skunks, etc. than I am of people in my area. I feel that it really comes down to the lifestyle you are living no matter what part of town you are in. MOO

debs
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
To be honest I would not be anymore afraid to be in a trailer than I would be to be in a house. Not really sure why it would make a difference. With that said, No I would not be afraid at all. I live in what would be considered the country and I feel much safer than I did when I lived in town. I am more afraid of the mountain lions, bears, racoons, skunks, etc. than I am of people in my area. I feel that it really comes down to the lifestyle you are living no matter what part of town you are in. MOO

But we have it great here in Montana. We know nearly everyone in the state!!!

p.s., just over in the Bitterroot on Sunday and it was gorgeous 'til the rain hit.

MTgal
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
But we have it great here in Montana. We know nearly everyone in the state!!!

p.s., just over in the Bitterroot on Sunday and it was gorgeous 'til the rain hit.

We do have it good! Been raining like crazy here! Its good though, makes it nice and green, and hopefully less fires!
I do believe that there are good and bad no matter where you live. It just really comes down to who and what you choose to surround yourself with.

Claycat
05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
You'd think they would have replaced/repaired the skirting around the place before they took some of these photos.
http://satsuma.fl.house.info/234688-house-rent (http://satsuma.fl.house.info/234688-house-rent)

thanks tom'sgirl. i would find it hard to live there. i think all of the sad and desperate emotions would still be thick in the atmosphere, and there would always be those lingering thoughts of haleigh.

:(

BeavisMom62
05-16-2009, 03:48 PM
No.
Living in a remote home with children would not scare me. I would much rather be out in the country with no one around than in town where I live, even though my town is relatively small. I love the darkness of no streetlights. You can actually see the stars. You take precautions, whether it is big a great big dog, big gun, alarm system and a must for anywhere you live are well made locks. The best deterrent to becoming a victim of any crime is difficult access. Scum and crooks are everywhere but they will always pick the easiest home.

Yep, I agree, shadow. I used to live "sorta" in the country. It was out in the boonies, surrounded by woods, there were only three houses on our street. I miss it. You are right about the stars. My son and I lived there alone after my ex and I split up. whenever we knew there was going to be a meteor shower or something cool, we would take our sleeping bags out to the driveway and watch the sky and sleep out there (with my dog!). We also used to be able to see all sorts of wildlife, which I miss. We always looked forward to "bat time" we called it. At dusk when the bats would come out and swoop over your head. We had raccoons, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels, peacocks, turkey vultures, turtles - it was awesome. Not so much wildlife in suburbia.

EgyptNug
06-02-2009, 01:23 PM

hahahaha that is exactly where I live, anyone every been to the Poconos??? its nothing but woods and more woods and bears, I moved here because you got more bang for your buck and all, a nice house but scary as crap alone at night!

We had a place in the poconos, and I went up there a couple times by myself and it was SCAREY! But in a watched-too-many-horror-movies feeling-like-some-lunatic-was hiding-in-the-woods-watching-the-house way. I would work myself up that some crazy person was watching me, cause it was so dark out there at night, the house felt like a sitting duck. But escaped-from-the-psych-ward lunatic possibility aside, there wasn't really a rational fear. I am sure if i grew up there, and it's all I knew, it wouldn't seem as spooky..

Realistic fright, in my opinion, has everything to do with the quality and lifestyle of your neighbors, no matter where you live. I have looked at apartments in places I would not feel safe at past 5pm, in the suburbs.

But i think i was much more easily spooked at 17. Then again, Misty is much more hard and street savvy than I have ever been.

elle1919
06-02-2009, 02:00 PM

I am just reading this, very interesting to say the least. If you go to the link you will see a pic of the side view and the back door with the walkway/ ramp and there is still a brick on the walkway. Weird. This looks to be posted last a little over a month ago, I wonder if it's still for rent?

concentric
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I know of at least 6 high-profile cases of pedophiles living in trailer courts who murdered children. So, yes, I would be afraid of trailer courts, especially in more remote areas. Must be easier for the pedo-murderers to live in trailers.

SeekingJana
06-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Short answer- Not at Misty's age. I didn't have a lick of common sense as a teen.

At my age now, and from my 30's onwards- yes. I would be afraid in a trailer at any time.. No way to truly secure windows and doors or even the flooring if someone wanted in. Plus, I've never heard of a trailer like theirs with a security system- kind of overkill, you know?

DotsEyes
06-04-2009, 04:16 AM
hahahaha that is exactly where I live, anyone every been to the Poconos??? its nothing but woods and more woods and bears, I moved here because you got more bang for your buck and all, a nice house but scary as crap alone at night! I really need to get a dog, If I didnt have two jobs and two little kids to raise I would have more time for a pet but time is not an option, also I cannot get a gun (because of the little ones) so now Im looking for a stun gun or something lol But If I were in a scary trailer in the middle of the woods with two little kids and I was only 17 It could be kind of freaky I guess.

Honey, forget the handguns, get a double barrel shotgun and learn how to load it, shoot it and store it, get familiar with it and shoot it at a range every so often just to get used to it and not be so scared of it. They dont require precision shooting.

DotsEyes
06-04-2009, 04:57 AM
The remnants of potted flowers - how sadly symbolic.

I don't think that is a brick on the ramp, it looks like a can of beer wrapped in a brown bag to me.

stilettos
08-20-2011, 05:54 PM

At 17..petrified. Today...Momma Shoes is not scared of anything. Got my protection well in hand and scattered because there are many floors and rooms in this house...I be ready. Access has been limited, always carry my phone and when I sleep...Big Bubba is in the nightstand...three dogs and Country living in the mountains with two red lights. Bears, bats and deer. You do hear gunfire but we celebrate that because it means someone is going to eat well.:rocker:

JustPeachy
08-20-2011, 07:59 PM
At 17..petrified. Today...Momma Shoes is not scared of anything. Got my protection well in hand and scattered because there are many floors and rooms in this house...I be ready. Access has been limited, always carry my phone and when I sleep...Big Bubba is in the nightstand...three dogs and Country living in the mountains with two red lights. Bears, bats and deer. You do hear gunfire but we celebrate that because it means someone is going to eat well.:rocker:

Big Bubba:floorlaugh:

GER
08-21-2011, 12:29 AM
I have lived in Satsuma for the past 25 years and I am not nor have I ever felt scared living here in the boonies... It's quiet it's peaceful and if you don't have druggies visiting your home on a daily/nightly basis... it's safe. There are lot of retired individuals that call this area their winter home... It's just unfortunate to me, that the individuals that were interviewed by media, in regards to this case, not meaning family members, were not what I'd refer to as a fair and good representation of our little community....IMO.

TallCoolOne
08-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I suppose what one person considers 'boonies' is not the same to another.

I have lived in the country most of my life. The kind of country where your nearest neighbor is more than a few miles away from you. Surrounded by fields and woods. I love that kind of living. At night when you sit out in the yard, you can hear all the critters and grasshoppers and tree frogs and such. Once in a while a coyote. Watch the deer graze in the twilight. It's the most peaceful thing you will ever know. Never needed a gun, always had a dog or two to keep me company, and most of the time it was just my daughter and myself, dog(s) and a horse or two until she grew up and out of the home. Nobody ever bothered us and we never bothered anyone else.

I'd take that kind of life anyday over living in the city. No way I could ever handle that. I like my peace way too much. But, I'm not scared of the boogey man either.

*Shrugs* I don't consider where they lived in the 'boonies' at all. But that's just my take on it.

lonetraveler
08-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I realize that this poll was created very early in the case so this is just my two cents worth here. The MH was not in a remote area. There were neighbors all around in that MH development. I don't think that it was a "new" thing with Misty being with someone's children at night, alone. As far as the children are concerned, IMO, these children had been locked inside that MH on more than one occasion all by themselves.

mkay882
08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
We too live 'in the boonies' and never had problem one .
Hope I never have to move to a city.

stilettos
08-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Big Bubba:floorlaugh:
Big Bubba is the sawed off shotgun.

JustPeachy
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Wow, you don't mess around!!!:woohoo:

Reality Orlando
08-22-2011, 10:03 AM

I love the Poconos! We used to have a vacation home on Arrowhead Lake and I lived by myself there for a year after graduation. Yes, it was a bit creepy at night, especially if you had a bear banging around out back. BUT, I'd be more more scared living in a city with a high crime rate than in the country with a few critters.

Chablis
08-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Plus Ron also allegedly left Misty with a gun to sleep with under her pillow while the kids slept in bed with her, so I doubt she was scared.

stilettos
08-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Plus Ron also allegedly left Misty with a gun to sleep with under her pillow while the kids slept in bed with her, so I doubt she was scared.

Wonder if the gun went off...dumb move..loaded weapon, teenage girl, two little children in close proximity.

Lucid
08-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Not with a dog, I voted.

This is the story of my life - trailer or not. I am married to a trucker, so I'm alone 90% of the time, nights and days. Occasionally my imagination runs away with me and I lie in bed in fear... usually I check all the locks 2 or 3 times...

But when all is said and done, I think my fear is minimal. I have two dogs and live in a nice area. IF somebody were to try to come in, I would at least be warned by the dogs, and the person would likely be scared off - nobody wants 2 boxers coming at them in the dark, barking. I sleep at night with no problems lol. It is only when my imagination gets the better of me that I start to stress.

People notice when the man of the house is never home. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't worry much at all... but after a few years of living here, I'm sure people have noticed that DH is always gone. Luckily all my neighbors seem "normal". We're in a smaller town/city - not the boonies, but certainly not the "city". Maybe around 20-30k folks here, but that's just a wild guess.

Chablis
08-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Wonder if the gun went off...dumb move..loaded weapon, teenage girl, two little children in close proximity.

I wonder, but if a gun went off and Junior saw his sister bloody and shot, I just dont think he would remain calm and quiet. I waiver if he was even there sometimes.

mkay882
08-24-2011, 10:34 AM
A gunshot going off in the bedroom would be hard to NOT hear. Jr would have talked about that in the first few minutes.
I doubt the "loaded gun under Misty's pillow" was true.
More like 'macho-speak' crap to me. IMO

Chablis
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
A gunshot going off in the bedroom would be hard to NOT hear. Jr would have talked about that in the first few minutes.
I doubt the "loaded gun under Misty's pillow" was true.
More like 'macho-speak' crap to me. IMO

Oh yes, "macho"

He tried not to cry. He tried to be the big macho boy but it didnít work. We started talking about Junior and he started crying, said Theresa.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/cummings_case/012810-ronald-cummings

Macho is funny and cute for a four year old, and Ron was supposed to be a "man"

Anyways, I am sure a gun plays a big part of this story. jmo

lonetraveler
08-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Yep, that's what I want!

Emeralgem
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I wonder, but if a gun went off and Junior saw his sister bloody and shot, I just dont think he would remain calm and quiet. I waiver if he was even there sometimes.

IMO..The MH on Green Lane is not where the incident took place, and I highly suspect Jr. was not there..
Reason being...
I suspect Misty and Ron C had not reconciled when TN asked Misty to babysit that night...I also suspect Ron C was not at home during the day on the 9th..
IF he was working for KB that day (as some have claimed ) someone in his family was taking care of Jr...Either GGMS or KB...
IF Misty agreed to take care of the children that night, i suspect she and/or Chelsy are the ones who picked up Haleigh from the bus stop..Witnesses have claimed the van drove off in the opposite direction of the MH on Green lane so I suspect the van was headed toward Misty's parent's residence and the incident occurred sometime that afternoon, not too long after Haleigh got off the school bus...JMHO

ETA I do suspect Haleigh was accidentally shot due to her father playing a macho bad azz with a gun. No doubt in my mind he was threatening Misty..

Chablis
08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
IMO..The MH on Green Lane is not where the incident took place, and I highly suspect Jr. was not there..
Reason being...
I suspect Misty and Ron C had not reconciled when TN asked Misty to babysit that night...I also suspect Ron C was not at home during the day on the 9th..
IF he was working for KB that day (as some have claimed ) someone in his family was taking care of Jr...Either GGMS or KB...
IF Misty agreed to take care of the children that night, i suspect she and/or Chelsy are the ones who picked up Haleigh from the bus stop..Witnesses have claimed the van drove off in the opposite direction of the MH on Green lane so I suspect the van was headed toward Misty's parent's residence and the incident occurred sometime that afternoon, not too long after Haleigh got off the school bus...JMHO

ETA I do suspect Haleigh was accidentally shot due to her father playing a macho bad azz with a gun. No doubt in my mind he was threatening Misty..

I can totally believe Mistys loyalty to Ron if Haleigh died accidentally someway that was meant for Misty.

lonetraveler
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Reason being...

I don't think that Jr. was there either. I don't think he was there until just before the 911 call. Why else would Ron tell Cobra that he retrieved the gun, cleaned it up and then handed it over to LE? It is truly amazing that Ron knew exactly where he put it that night.

mkay882
08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Oh yes, "macho"

He tried not to cry. He tried to be the big macho boy but it didnít work. We started talking about Junior and he started crying, said Theresa.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/cummings_case/012810-ronald-cummings

Macho is funny and cute for a four year old, and Ron was supposed to be a "man"

Anyways, I am sure a gun plays a big part of this story. jmo

I can agree that may well be true.
The gun Tommy and Joe Overstreet came to steal.
But then Tommy may have simply been lying about Joe being there with him and came to rob Ron alone.
Rob him of his daughter instead of a gun? I would not be surprised. <shrug>

Chablis
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I can agree that may well be true.
The gun Tommy and Joe Overstreet came to steal.
But then Tommy may have simply been lying about Joe being there with him and came to rob Ron alone.
Rob him of his daughter instead of a gun? I would not be surprised. <shrug>

Yeah, it seems plausible that someone seeking a gun would take a child instead!

mkay882
08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it seems plausible that someone seeking a gun would take a child instead!

I doubt the gun was ever Tommy's target if he was alone. IMO HaLeigh was.

Chablis
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

And this would be believable to me, at least, if Tommy had a record the length of his arm like Ron does filled with sex offenses, I mean he had a daughter at home, and there is no indication he had sexual urges towards young girls, the only one exhibiting that self admitted here is Ron. jmo

Emeralgem
08-25-2011, 01:10 PM
IMO To insinuate Tommy molested Haleigh and thus had to kill Haleigh makes absolutely no sense.. Reason being.. Ron C and his family allowed him to continue to breathe....
Tommy may be guilty of moving Haleigh's body to another location and involved in a cover up after the fact, but he didn't kill Haleigh and neither did Jo Overstreet or Misty...IF Ron C wasn't involved in whatever happened to Haleigh, he would have wasted Tommy, Jo O and Misty on day one...JMHO

Flossie JMO
08-25-2011, 01:42 PM

I think this is possible. :(

MEM2010
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
This is warming my heart to see little Haleigh is not forgotten.

At least not on WS.

Bless you all.

Where are you Haleigh?

lil momma
09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
This is warming my heart to see little Haleigh is not forgotten.

At least not on WS.

Bless you all.

Where are you Haleigh?

HALEIGH WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN HERE AT WEBSLUETHS. (MEM you are always welcome to join in the coversation, give your thoughts and your opinion on what you think happened) :)

and WELCOME!!!!!!!

MEM2010
09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
HALEIGH WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN HERE AT WEBSLUETHS. (MEM you are always welcome to join in the coversation, give your thoughts and your opinion on what you think happened) :)

and WELCOME!!!!!!!

Thank you very much lil momma!

I am so grateful I came across Websleuths I think this site is absolutely amazing.

I don't really have much to offer as far as theories go but I am positive that Misty Croslin knows exactly what happened to little Haleigh.

Possibly she left leaving the kids alone at home or she invited over some suspicious characters. And maybe even some more heinous things that I wont post. I don't even want to begin to think what that girl is capable of.

IMO

txsvicki
09-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Responding again to the title of this thread: No, I wouldn't be afraid in a trailer park where there were some next door neighbors home, and my brother lived very near and came over at all hours of the day and night (sarcasm). Also who had a pit bull that could raise the roof if it heard screaming or carrying on. Tommy admitted being at the trailer that night, and Joe says the whole bunch took off in the van and headed over there late after getting a call from Tommy. I still believe my theory that Hayleigh was "found" outside the trailer on that path by the water when Misty came home and that Jr. saw it all. Misty had some guys over and left with them. A man dressed all in black with squeaky shoes came in and took Haleigh, then Misty later tried to make her story fit Jr.'s with the whole crew being there and crying going on and Haleigh being put into something and taken away. Misty did say that Tommy did something to her when she was little. She also said the same about Joe, who would also have been a smaller child, but Tommy would have been a young teen. Older than both kids. Joe is probably able to answer a lot of questions if he's not too afraid of getting charged with a murder pinned on him.

dodie20
09-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Responding again to the title of this thread: No, I wouldn't be afraid in a trailer park where there were some next door neighbors home, and my brother lived very near and came over at all hours of the day and night (sarcasm). Also who had a pit bull that could raise the roof if it heard screaming or carrying on. Tommy admitted being at the trailer that night, and Joe says the whole bunch took off in the van and headed over there late after getting a call from Tommy. I still believe my theory that Hayleigh was "found" outside the trailer on that path by the water when Misty came home and that Jr. saw it all. Misty had some guys over and left with them. A man dressed all in black with squeaky shoes came in and took Haleigh, then Misty later tried to make her story fit Jr.'s with the whole crew being there and crying going on and Haleigh being put into something and taken away. Misty did say that Tommy did something to her when she was little. She also said the same about Joe, who would also have been a smaller child, but Tommy would have been a young teen. Older than both kids. Joe is probably able to answer a lot of questions if he's not too afraid of getting charged with a murder pinned on him.I missed JO saying the whole bunch went over there. Did he go too?

LinasK
10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Yep, I agree, shadow. I used to live "sorta" in the country. It was out in the boonies, surrounded by woods, there were only three houses on our street. I miss it. You are right about the stars. My son and I lived there alone after my ex and I split up. whenever we knew there was going to be a meteor shower or something cool, we would take our sleeping bags out to the driveway and watch the sky and sleep out there (with my dog!). We also used to be able to see all sorts of wildlife, which I miss. We always looked forward to "bat time" we called it. At dusk when the bats would come out and swoop over your head. We had raccoons, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels, peacocks, turkey vultures, turtles - it was awesome. Not so much wildlife in suburbia.
In my suburbia, there is: raccoons, squirrels, deer, screech owls, turkey vultures, wild turkeys, and an occasional mountain lion. Where I used to live, more urban, we still had opposums!

lil momma
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Knowing what i know now, as in the positioning of the MH, i am not of the opinion that the MH is actually in a "remote" spot. It is in a community. Plenty of neighbors around. within walking distance. So, i don't think i would be scared. JMO

Melanie
10-29-2011, 06:01 AM
I voted yes, but have lived in a moutain cabin where I was surrounded by seasonal homes. Meaning we were the only full timers during the week and it was skeery. No street light and surrounded by wild animals. We even had a bear who tried to get in one night. Not to mention the snowy nights when the power would go out! EEK.

Also, DH worked away during the week and it was just me and my DS.

Dayum - no wonder we moved back to San Diego. I was tired of the nervous breakdowns. :)

Mel

RoseRed
11-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Hell yes!!!! I would be afraid.

Cowboy Fan
11-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I have lived in the "boonies" for 11 years now and have never been scared. I was always scared when I lived in town. We weren't in a particularly bad part of town, but there was a lot of gang activity all around (it was rampant in the town in which I lived). It was not unusual to hear gunshots in the early hours of the morning and I even had the back windshield of my vehicle shot out when it got in the way of some dueling gang members. I would make a call to the police, listen to the scanner to hear the dispatcher send out the details, and wait patiently by a window to see if the police ever came...they rarely did. Give me the quiet and solitude of the country any day of the week!

Concerned Papa
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I guess I just don't understand what's supposed to be REMOTE about this residence:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Papa813_bucket/Remote.jpg

The residences on either side were 35' and 58' away.

4Jacy
11-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I voted yes, but have lived in a moutain cabin where I was surrounded by seasonal homes. Meaning we were the only full timers during the week and it was skeery. No street light and surrounded by wild animals. We even had a bear who tried to get in one night. Not to mention the snowy nights when the power would go out! EEK.

Also, DH worked away during the week and it was just me and my DS.

Dayum - no wonder we moved back to San Diego. I was tired of the nervous breakdowns. :)

Mel

Well, that does sound "skeery" but kinda neat. You have so many memories to share....WOW!!

dodie20
11-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Well, that does sound "skeery" but kinda neat. You have so many memories to share....WOW!! My husband and I managed and were the caretakers for a pretty big camp...an olympic sized pool, cabins, bathrooms galore, a lodge, an office, a pond, and lots of woods. What was weird, was that it was in the worst neighborhood in town, but it was pushed back from the road, and surrounded by fence. The spring and summer months were hopping, but, the winter months were scary. My husband bought a gun for protection. A realator brought a man to look at the property, and I could tell by looking at him, he didn't have that kind of money. He took a look-see through our house, (something no other prospective buyer had done), and then was on his way. I got the strange feeling that he was scoping out the layout, so he could see which room belonged to my preschool daughter. From that night on, she slept on the couch, while I watched tv. I slept a few hours after she went to school. Another day, I walked to the pond, and at the edge of the woods, was a still half burning campfire. Whose was it, and where had he gone? I always felt like eyes were watching, so my nightly walks came to a screeching halt. Another time, I caught a man walking right by our driveway, with a machete. When I asked him what he was doing, he said he had business to tend to!!! All of this within a few weeks of each other. No job, is worth that kind of fear, so we moved, and I've never been so glad to scram, in my life. Anyway, we had neighbors, but I felt so isolated...a very weird combination.

4Jacy
11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I used to live in a very remote, wooded area on Valley Forge Mountain. My husband travelled internationally, and I would be left alone with my two children and dogs. We had no street lights, AND we had a peeping tom. Our house was a comtempory (practically all glass) so it was always a challenge to keep his prying eyes out. We all, including the police, knew who it was. He lived a few neighorhoods over, wiith children, and was a Boy Scout leader.

Finally my husband bought me a .22. One night (after hundreds of nights) I heard him trying to open my front door. I don't know where I got the nerve but I went to the door, flung it open. He ran through our woods and I yelled, "halt or I'll shoot." He didn't stop, so I emptied the gun in the woods, called the police. I hadn't shot him, but when the police came to my house, they said, "If you ever do shoot this basta_d, pull him into your house.

It was so scary being a young mother and to lie in bed, not wanting to move because I heard "him" and then in the next second you're like a mother bear, my God, my children. And off I had to go.

dodie20
11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to live in a very remote, wooded area on Valley Forge Mountain. My husband travelled internationally, and I would be left alone with my two children and dogs. We had no street lights, AND we had a peeping tom. Our house was a comtempory (practically all glass) so it was always a challenge to keep his prying eyes out. We all, including the police, knew who it was. He lived a few neighorhoods over, wiith children, and was a Boy Scout leader.

Finally my husband bought me a .22. One night (after hundreds of nights) I heard him trying to open my front door. I don't know where I got the nerve but I went to the door, flung it open. He ran through our woods and I yelled, "halt or I'll shoot." He didn't stop, so I emptied the gun in the woods, called the police. I hadn't shot him, but when the police came to my house, they said, "If you ever do shoot this basta_d, pull him into your house.

It was so scary being a young mother and to lie in bed, not wanting to move because I heard "him" and then in the next second you're like a mother bear, my God, my children. And off I had to go. I know that feeling well. We were living in a trailer, and my husband worked nights. One night, I heard voices, and somone prowling around on our front porch. I yanked that door open, and screamed at the top of my lungs, "GET OFF MY PORCH!!!" It was a cat! I screamed so loud, that I woke up the whole neighborhood, and I stood there and watched all of their house lights pop on. My whole body shook for almost 2 hours, and the next day, I was so hoarse, I couldn't speak. But I was determined, to keep whoever it was, out of my house. And those voices, I heard? It was coming from my daughter's virtual nano pet, wanting to be fed, lol. She had left it in a window sill, and it sounded just like whispering, coming from outside. But, that experience taught me, that I was the type, to go down fighting, and strangely enough, it empowered me. I'm one to stay up most of the night, so it would be almost impossible, for a prowler to get in, unannounced. Another night, in another house, I was laying on the couch, and saw our doorknob, slowly turning. I jumped up, turned on the lights and yelled for my husband. We also had a neighborhood peeping tom, and a neighbor had caught him looking in our bathroom window, earlier in the week. And this was one of the best, quietest neighborhoods in town. Not too long ago, 2 thugs broke into an elderly couple's home in my town, and killed the man, (who barely had time to wake up). They then raped and kidnapped the lady and threw her in the trunk of her car, and took off. Where they were taking her, I don't know, but she managed to escape from the trunk, and drive herself off, after they stopped and went into a house. She found the police station, and of course, they didn't believe her, (sigh), but then they saw where she had been duct taped. The cops found those 2 idiots, walking down a country road. As they were hauling them to the station, one of the guys made up and sang a rap song, about what he had just done...all recorded. He got the death penalty, and his mother, slept during his trial. (another sigh} Anyway, the victims were intheir 80s, and this woman is my hero.

4Jacy
11-09-2011, 03:50 PM
WOW, again. The things we have to prove as mothers, not just love, kindness, et al., but especially in this day and age, PROTECTION!!!!

lonetraveler
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I guess I just don't understand what's supposed to be REMOTE about this residence:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad257/Papa813_bucket/Remote.jpg

The residences on either side were 35' and 58' away.

I totally agree with you Papa. I've commented the same sentiment. This MH was not in a remote area, all alone. It is located in a subdivision neighborhood with plenty of families living nearby. Where did the idea come from that the Mh was in a remote area?:waitasec:

lonetraveler
11-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I've traveled extensively throughout my career, most times through some very isolated areas and late at night. Except when traveling by air, I always had my two friends with me, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. They came in handy a couple of times. Don't know what I would have done without my two friends.

4Jacy
11-10-2011, 03:39 AM
I totally agree with you Papa. I've commented the same sentiment. This MH was not in a remote area, all alone. It is located in a subdivision neighborhood with plenty of families living nearby. Where did the idea come from that the Mh was in a remote area?:waitasec:

Let me just add my :twocents:, this is not a remote area. However, the area is certainly not the best to be raising children. As I have said, we had one pervert in our neighborhood, but apparently, there in Putnam County they had many.

Not only that, think of John Merchant (b_rf), and other LE who couldn't, or wouldn't solve this crime. These people who committed this crime were not professionals, they were the downtrodden, and not sophisticated to say the least.

Those surrounding them were terrified to come forth and offer any piece of evidence to LE. Perhaps it was the Mexicans (that RC supposedly had a big problem with,) perhaps LE itself, and maybe the motor cycle gang, who knows at this point? And, then you have the famlies, the friends, the neighbors. Either everyone is in collusion or terrified. NO, I never would place myself in THAT mobile home part!!

titanfan62702
11-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Let me just add my :twocents:, this is not a remote area. However, the area is certainly not the best to be raising children. As I have said, we had one pervert in our neighborhood, but apparently, there in Putnam County they had many.

Not only that, think of John Merchant (b_rf), and other LE who couldn't, or wouldn't solve this crime. These people who committed this crime were not professionals, they were the downtrodden, and not sophisticated to say the least.

Those surrounding them were terrified to come forth and offer any piece of evidence to LE. Perhaps it was the Mexicans (that RC supposedly had a big problem with,) perhaps LE itself, and maybe the motor cycle gang, who knows at this point? And, then you have the famlies, the friends, the neighbors. Either everyone is in collusion or terrified. NO, I never would place myself in THAT mobile home part!!

There aren't too much many area where there aren't at least one pervert -- unless it's a really remote area and the pervert ain't found it yet.

Trident
11-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Good post, you hit the nail right on the head. I do believe, however, you left out the local small-time crooks and drug dealers. All the way around, even though this trailer wasn't 'remote' by any stretch, it sure was on an island surrounded by evil of one sort or another. In my opinion, of course.

4Jacy
11-10-2011, 01:53 PM
There aren't too much many area where there aren't at least one pervert -- unless it's a really remote area and the pervert ain't found it yet.

BBM :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

redfish
11-10-2011, 06:15 PM
I have to agree with several of the posters, this just doesn't seem to be remote to me at all. I am alot more comfortable in the less populated areas.... I stay prepared and alert to sounds and lights... not in a nervous way... just anything but quiet is out of ordinary!! My dogs alert to animals and strangers long before they are close enough to harm, they let me know when my husband turns off the highway on his way home a good 5 minutes before he is in the drive!

(ok maybe 4 minutes!!)

GER
11-10-2011, 11:10 PM
4Jacy and Trident....

'CHEERS' ladies!!! from the lower echelon of society here in Satsuma Florida!!!
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/cutter32189/224031_10150172285923605_337541338604_6757658_4286 886_n.jpg

christee
11-10-2011, 11:14 PM
4Jacy and Trident....

'CHEERS' ladies!!! from the lower echelon of society here in Satsuma Florida!!!
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/cutter32189/224031_10150172285923605_337541338604_6757658_4286 886_n.jpg
I was just looking for you Ger! I was going to ask what you thought about life in Satsuma! You've lived there for what, over 25 yrs? Oh and didn't you raise 2 sons there? :thumb:

GER
11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah Christee... I think I'm going to wear this as my siggy somewhere.... LOL
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/cutter32189/222549_10150172328068605_337541338604_6758066_4809 580_n.jpg

Peachy
11-10-2011, 11:38 PM
In listening to the Putnam County scanner for over 2 years, I think I've heard the area of Green Ln and surrounding streets maybe a handful of times (excluding the calls at TC's former residence). The location of the mobile home is not in a high crime area by any means.

Other areas of Putnam County do have quite a few calls for people arguing/fighting, robberies/break ins, etc., and yes there are quite a few drug related calls as well. However, in listening to the scanner feeds for other locations throughout the US, Putnam County has far fewer crime related calls than any of those areas. Sadly, the fact is, there is crime everywhere and no area is immune to it.

And, since I have actually been to the mobile home on Green Ln during my tour of Satsuma with Ger, I can attest that it is in no way remote. :-)

Concerned Papa
11-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Like any rural community, parts of Putnam County could certainly be considered remote or "in the boondocks". Green Drive is not one of those areas.

I have been to Putnam County a few times since Haleigh disappeared and could not help becoming impressed with the natural beauty of this little girl's home. I also came to realize that I was born and raised in "boondocks" not unlike Haleigh's.

Those boondocks will always be a part of my heart and soul.

As to any fear of my surroundings, I have always subscribed to a certain theory:

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. Cause I'm the meanest son of a b***h in the valley". :floorlaugh:

Haleigh's Boondocks - YouTube

krkrjx
11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Nope. I do not scare easily. However, I would be on edge being alone at Ronald Cummings' home at night--with or without kids. For me, this is not about being alone at night or being responsible for two little ones through a long dark night. And there is nothing about the area in general that would put me on edge. For me, edginess would come with any type of association with Cummings. I do not know what his involvement was with Haleigh's disappearance but I see Ronald as more than just a victim of circumstance in all this. I believe he was involved in something...and that involvement was part of a chain of events that led to this tragedy. So for me, I would never want to be in any area where one of his "business" associates or someone with a grudge against Cummings might come knocking.

lonetraveler
11-12-2011, 02:38 PM
There is a bigger possibility of me being frightened being left in a remote trailer with Ronald Cummings than being left with two children. :crazy:

dodie20
11-12-2011, 07:05 PM
After reading some of our stories, it's even harder to believe that Misty hid under the covers. Maybe at 1st, but once all the action started, she would have been pushed by self preservation, if nothing else, to not corner herself in the bedroom. From the very beginning, I thought Misty was the type, to put up a fight for Haleigh. Now, I don't know. I still don't think she just handed Haleigh over to somebody, but after listening to all of their stories, I'm more confused about her involvement. For her to be the perp, I think it would've had to have been an accident...but, an accident, after all this time, seems like a very slim possibility. And none of this bunch, (except for CC, late in the game), has ever insinuated an accident. No, IMO, it's looking more and more, like a cold blooded murder. MOO

4Jacy
11-12-2011, 08:08 PM
After reading some of our stories, it's even harder to believe that Misty hid under the covers. Maybe at 1st, but once all the action started, she would have been pushed by self preservation, if nothing else, to not corner herself in the bedroom. From the very beginning, I thought Misty was the type, to put up a fight for Haleigh. Now, I don't know. I still don't think she just handed Haleigh over to somebody, but after listening to all of their stories, I'm more confused about her involvement. For her to be the perp, I think it would've had to have been an accident...but, an accident, after all this time, seems like a very slim possibility. And none of this bunch, (except for CC, late in the game), has ever insinuated an accident. No, IMO, it's looking more and more, like a cold blooded murder. MOO

I just can't except that dodie. It is too cold, these people weren't monsters, but perhaps the company RC kept did, in fact, murder or abduct little Haleigh. The only ones in this "gang" that would have intentionally murdered Haleigh I believe would be TC and JO.

txsvicki
11-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I'll always believe, until something else is ever proven, that anything Misty told is what Jr. might have seen going on that night. She may have gotten under the covers later with him or he may have been the one under the covers at some point. Jr. said a man dressed all in black came in and took Haleigh and I believe that, but that he also saw and heard many other things going on that night.

dodie20
11-13-2011, 04:06 AM
[/B]

I just can't except that dodie. It is too cold, these people weren't monsters, but perhaps the company RC kept did, in fact, murder or abduct little Haleigh. The only ones in this "gang" that would have intentionally murdered Haleigh I believe would be TC and JO. I don't think Misty or Ron cold bloodedly murdered Haleigh. And because of the time that's gone by, I don't think this was an accident. Surely if it was, somebody would have fessed up by now. So, in my mind, this narrows down the suspects. I keep asking myself, why Tommy would make up a lie, that's worse than the truth? Why would someone put himself at a murder scene, and admit to being an accessory? IMO, the only other alternative, would be that it was a stranger abduction/killing, and they've all been lying, because that's just what they do. But, all those failed lie tests, say otherwise. MOO.

dodie20
11-13-2011, 04:26 AM
I'll always believe, until something else is ever proven, that anything Misty told is what Jr. might have seen going on that night. She may have gotten under the covers later with him or he may have been the one under the covers at some point. Jr. said a man dressed all in black came in and took Haleigh and I believe that, but that he also saw and heard many other things going on that night. He also reportedly heard, squeaky shoes. If he heard shoe squeaks, that house was quiet. According to CS, on the Geraldo show, he said Misty was in bed asleep. So, this all makes Misty's sleeping story, seem credible...if not for her failed tests, I would believe her. There's no way, Jr wouldn't have awakened her, so??? what happened next? I remember an early report, of Misty saying she vaguely remembered Jr crawling over her, and going to the bathroom. There's a reason, she added that detail. Did he tell someone, he got up? If he did, what did he see? the bouncing couch? What about Misty's detail, of going outside to smoke? Oh my gosh, that is not why she went outside, IMO. If we could add these details, to the details we don't have, we might figure some of this out. MOO

dodie20
11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
I just had a thought about Misty smoking outside. The other night, at about 2 am, I smelled a horrible smell, in our house. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find a thing. I had just about decided it was a gas leak, when I opened the front door, and the smell just about knocked me out. I got dizzy, and my eyes, throat and nose were burning. So, I came in and googled meth lab smells, and bingo! I think I hit the nail on the head. One of the articles, gave a few signs to look for, and one of them, was the occupants, smoking outside...even if outside smoking, seemed out of character. I think the smell was coming from a couple of streets behind us, and it got me to thinking about how those toxic fumes, would affect a child. I was in my house, and still felt terrible, so I can only imagine what they would do to a kid...maybe cause a lethal asthma attack. This bunch got busted for trafficking, so them cooking meth, isn't out of the realm of possibility. I've never heard any meth accusations, but the word crackhead, has been thrown around a few times. Anyway, just a thought. MOO

Suthrnqt
11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I would be ok with the security system, gun and dog!! Scratch the security system....I have 2 yappy chihuahuas, who bark everytime a squirrel farts in my yard. LOL Skeeter & Dixie would definitely alert on someone outside.

I'm with lonetraveler, I wouldn't want to be alone with Ronald Cummings.

SwampMama
11-21-2011, 02:35 AM
It all depends where you live. I wouldn't leave my doors unlocked when I lived in the city but now I have lived in the country for a few years and we never lock the doors except once when we were away for a few days. Otherwise we leave the door unlocked, even at night or when we are both off at work.

We also leave the keys in the cars along with the GPS, radar detector, camera and a gun or two. We have never had anything stolen and murders here are very rare and happen between family members, not random strangers. DH fusses at me for NOT leaving the keys in the car. I take them out by mistake and bring them in the house and he fusses at me.

My nearest neighbors are miles away (although DH's parents live on the same property as us but are half a mile away from us). My DH goes off hunting or to visit relatives out of town and I am alone but not frightened. We have a dog who barks the minute someone is within half a mile of the house at the end of the driveway.

I'd say I'm more afraid of Sasquatch getting me than another human

I have gone from living in fear in the murder capital of the world to a place that seems like Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show. It still amazes me.

otto
11-23-2011, 04:37 AM
I would not be caught dead in a remote trailer with small children. Trailers are not secure, and being remote, there is nothing to provide security - no neighbors, no one to hear whether there is a sound when the tree falls in the forest. I camped with my family as a child and remember scares of dealing with people where it's impossible to place a barrier between you and them. I wouldn't recommend it.

A gun and a dog? The dog would alert that something was amiss. Most people can't shoot to kill. Why live in such a way that shooting someone dead is a distinct possibility? Bad people are opportunists ... don't be the opportunity.

Concerned Papa
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I would not be caught dead in a remote trailer with small children. Trailers are not secure, and being remote, there is nothing to provide security - no neighbors, no one to hear whether there is a sound when the tree falls in the forest. I camped with my family as a child and remember scares of dealing with people where it's impossible to place a barrier between you and them. I wouldn't recommend it.

A gun and a dog? The dog would alert that something was amiss. Most people can't shoot to kill. Why live in such a way that shooting someone dead is a distinct possibility? Bad people are opportunists ... don't be the opportunity.

Many have expressed similar concerns, so I'm just bouncing off of your post when I say, once again, that I don't understand what was remote about a trailer that had another trailer 35' away on one side and 58' away on the other side. One of our own members even lives directly behind that trailer, as well, and says the neighborhood is "almost in the city".

Gotta love the fear of the country. FYI I was raised in Detroit and Miami. Left Detroit in 1998 for a return to Fla permanently. I still have a cottage in Michigan that is 7 miles from the nearest pavement. I live in Satsuma in a built up area inback of me is Ron and Misty (was). They were nextdoor to me until Nov 08. This is almost city Rons' place and several others are on unimproved roads. The rest are paved streets. Most of the time my house is left unlocked. I have no fear of "the country". I have no fear of the city my .357 will comfort me in the face on mine enemies. My 9mm will guide me besides the still waters and surely my pump Ithica 12 ga will lead mine enemies into the paths of rightesnous. And surely they will dwell in the house with satan. My wierd sense of humor. Lets bring Haliegh home.

To actually see the trailer and it's proximinity to hundreds of other residences, see the post at:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

I guess it's one of those "you say tomato, I say mater" deals, huh? :floorlaugh:

krkrjx
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

If I assume for the sake of argument that Misty and Ron didn't "do it," I have to consider who might have done it. To me, a cold-blooded murder is one that is planned either in advance or immediately before commission. If someone went after Haleigh with intent to kill, or with intent to molest and then made a quick decision that she had to be killed, that would be cold-blooded murder.

Now, if something went down and Haleigh happened to get in the way and died as a result, that's not cold-blooded murder. But, it is also not exactly an accident. If she died during the commission of another crime, it's murder. But it's not cold-blooded murder and maybe not even premeditated.

Who would commit a cold-blooded murder against this child? I agree Ron or Misty would not have done that. I do not think Tommy would either. I might consider JO if there was anything showing he had been in the home that evening but there isn't. In fact, Ron insisted JO was not in the home that evening. And Misty and Tommy never claimed JO was there until much later, after they were arrested and they were desperate.

If this was a cold-blooded murder, it was more likely either a stranger or a distant acquaintance of Ron or Misty or both. I say that because I just can't see from what we know of this group that any of our players would commit cold-blooded murder of a five-year-old.

Haleigh died accidentally during the commission of another crime, IMO. That makes it murder. It was covered up and they remain mute to this day because admitting to such an accident would make known some activity or activities that none of these people want made known.

To me, the cover-up is what is cold-blooded. That was planned and carried out solely so the perps could protect themselves. I think any or all of them are capable of this. And I think they are all involved in this. And let's remember that Ron Cummings was not cooperative with LE and that he gave Misty advice on how to get out of LE interviews. He also insisted that JO had not been in his home that night. How would he know this? And if he doesn't know it for a fact, why would he insist? Most dads would say and do anything that was necessary to help LE find their missing child, or to help find the killer of their child. Ron did next to nothing to help LE and he coached Misty to be uncooperative, then married her. There has to be a reason why Ron did some of the things he did. And Ron is as big a liar as the others. He just lies in a different way--he lies by omission.

Even if Ron loved Misty and felt the need to protect her, he didn't love Tommy and he didn't love JO. If Ron was not involved, and wasn't even there when this tragedy happened, why would he need to protect others who might have been? Because if he really was at work, he would be clueless about what went on in his home that night and about who was or was not present.

dodie20
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
If I assume for the sake of argument that Misty and Ron didn't "do it," I have to consider who might have done it. To me, a cold-blooded murder is one that is planned either in advance or immediately before commission. If someone went after Haleigh with intent to kill, or with intent to molest and then made a quick decision that she had to be killed, that would be cold-blooded murder.

Now, if something went down and Haleigh happened to get in the way and died as a result, that's not cold-blooded murder. But, it is also not exactly an accident. If she died during the commission of another crime, it's murder. But it's not cold-blooded murder and maybe not even premeditated.

Who would commit a cold-blooded murder against this child? I agree Ron or Misty would not have done that. I do not think Tommy would either. I might consider JO if there was anything showing he had been in the home that evening but there isn't. In fact, Ron insisted JO was not in the home that evening. And Misty and Tommy never claimed JO was there until much later, after they were arrested and they were desperate.

If this was a cold-blooded murder, it was more likely either a stranger or a distant acquaintance of Ron or Misty or both. I say that because I just can't see from what we know of this group that any of our players would commit cold-blooded murder of a five-year-old.

Haleigh died accidentally during the commission of another crime, IMO. That makes it murder. It was covered up and they remain mute to this day because admitting to such an accident would make known some activity or activities that none of these people want made known.

To me, the cover-up is what is cold-blooded. That was planned and carried out solely so the perps could protect themselves. I think any or all of them are capable of this. And I think they are all involved in this. And let's remember that Ron Cummings was not cooperative with LE and that he gave Misty advice on how to get out of LE interviews. He also insisted that JO had not been in his home that night. How would he know this? And if he doesn't know it for a fact, why would he insist? Most dads would say and do anything that was necessary to help LE find their missing child, or to help find the killer of their child. Ron did next to nothing to help LE and he coached Misty to be uncooperative, then married her. There has to be a reason why Ron did some of the things he did. And Ron is as big a liar as the others. He just lies in a different way--he lies by omission.

Even if Ron loved Misty and felt the need to protect her, he didn't love Tommy and he didn't love JO. If Ron was not involved, and wasn't even there when this tragedy happened, why would he need to protect others who might have been? Because if he really was at work, he would be clueless about what went on in his home that night and about who was or was not present.Because of the way things have gone down, (like Misty not taking the ammunity offer), it looks like she was somehow involved in what happened to Haleigh. That's not saying she killed Haleigh, but maybe she played a role. My mind doesn't really work this way, so I can't think of a logical chain of events, where she and Tommy were both culpable. The only thing I can think of, is she either handed Haleigh off and she was killed, or she hurt Haleigh somehow, and Tommy finished her off. For instance... if Misty hit Haleigh in the head with a board, like FH heard, and then Tommy disposed of a still live Haleigh, they would both be culpable. Or, if Misty handed Haleigh over for one reason, and then she was killed, they would both be culpable. I don't like thinking like this, because it seems so wrong, but something really bad obviously happened, because they act like they'd rather sit in prison for 15/25 years, than fess up. As far as Ron is concerned, IMO, he would cover for Misty, (I'm thinking of his, 'only God can judge me', sticker), and if Tommy/JO, or whoever benefited by association, then so be it. MOO. All of this is just me speculating, based on the most recent events. I now think Misty is probably guilty of something...more than lying, or covering for somebody, or being gone that night. One thing I most definately believe, is that Tommy Croslin wouldn't sit in prison for anybody but himself. MOO

krkrjx
12-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Because of the way things have gone down, (like Misty not taking the ammunity offer), it looks like she was somehow involved in what happened to Haleigh. That's not saying she killed Haleigh, but maybe she played a role. My mind doesn't really work this way, so I can't think of a logical chain of events, where she and Tommy were both culpable. The only thing I can think of, is she either handed Haleigh off and she was killed, or she hurt Haleigh somehow, and Tommy finished her off. For instance... if Misty hit Haleigh in the head with a board, like FH heard, and then Tommy disposed of a still live Haleigh, they would both be culpable. Or, if Misty handed Haleigh over for one reason, and then she was killed, they would both be culpable. I don't like thinking like this, because it seems so wrong, but something really bad obviously happened, because they act like they'd rather sit in prison for 15/25 years, than fess up. As far as Ron is concerned, IMO, he would cover for Misty, (I'm thinking of his, 'only God can judge me', sticker), and if Tommy/JO, or whoever benefited by association, then so be it. MOO. All of this is just me speculating, based on the most recent events. I now think Misty is probably guilty of something...more than lying, or covering for somebody, or being gone that night. One thing I most definately believe, is that Tommy Croslin wouldn't sit in prison for anybody but himself. MOO

I wish I could respond to your post in the Theory thread but I do not know how to take a quote from one thread to another so I'll do it here.

I agree that Misty might be more directly involved than I had given her credit for. In the beginning of the case I suspected her as the perp but then everyone else started acting just as weird and deceptive as she was. For a long while I figured she really had nothing to do with it other than not telling everything that happened that night, i.e., her timeline given for events was "off" and she purposely left certain things out.

Recently I viewed Misty's last interview from prison and this time I paid more attention to her physical demeanor than to her actual words. Her words were the same old...but I studied her eyes during the interview. Misty has very clear beautiful blue eyes but if you look closely and really study her eyes you can see something there that shouldn't be. I think there is a meanness in Misty that I can see in her eyes.

But I still do not see Misty as a cold-blooded killer.

Sames goes for Tommy.

And same for Ronald.

JO I really do not know enough about to say but I will admit he strikes me as a scary dude who might be capable of serious crime. But cold-blooded murder? I don't see it. Not to say I am accurate in my judgement, just to say that so far I do not see that in JO.

So to me this was not a cold-blooded murder. However, the cover-up was certainly, IMO, a cold-blooded calculated act or series of acts.

Finally, I do not see Ronald Cummings protecting Misty at this late date. He may have done that initially, but he would not sit in prison for her...no way, no how! But while I believe Ron would not sit in prison to cover for Misty, he might sit there to cover for someone in his own family.

Whatever happened to Haleigh was, IMO, not planned. It was something that just happened probably due to someone's negligence, but that negligence was of the sort that would hold them criminally responsible for her death. Considering their lifestyle it looks to me like some activity involving drugs or guns, or both...and little Haleigh got caught in the center of it somehow.

I can only see one scenario that does not include them all to some degree because I do not believe any of them to be loyal enough to cover for the other(s). Initially maybe...but not for this long. That one scenario is that none of them were involved and none of them know anything about what happened to Haleigh. But that seems unlikely given the numerous times Ronald did nothing to help LE find his child and actually said or did things to thwart their efforts.

I doubt we will ever know the truth. And I hope they all rot in prison.

annalyzer
12-18-2011, 09:24 PM
i thought ron and misty had nearby neighbors?

i don't think misty was afraid living there. what brought this up?