PDA

View Full Version : NM NM - West Mesa Murders (2003-05)

Pages : [1] 2

chicagofa13
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Possibly bones of missing prostitutes. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29247408/

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Bones from six bodies have been uncovered in the desert west of Albuquerque during the past two weeks, and police said Tuesday they were likely put there by one person.

As detectives shore up their list of suspects, the list of possible victims is growing to include a group of 16 prostitutes who went missing from Albuquerque between 2001 and 2006 and others reported missing to other area law enforcement agencies.

MeoW333
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh Good Lord, there's so many women missing in AZ..
Were they serial killer pimps?

Jesikah1
02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
I am in New Mexico and have been surprised at the lack of coverage this case seems to be receiving. Perhaps it is because there are no updates yet, but to me this is huge, six bodies found, most likely dumped there by the same person.

I wonder how likely of a candidate this pimp they describe as a suspect in Victoria Chavez's disappearance is as a candidate for all the murders. (If that is indeed what caused the deaths.) When he died in January, they found pictures or articles on the missing prostitutes.

Would anybody who has experience in profiling like to offer a suggestion of how likely it would be that a pimp would also murder his "employees". I guess on one hand, the very fact that someone is a pimp could make them indifferent to a woman's humanity, but it seems like killing off prostitutes would be counterproductive to the pimp's livelihood.

Of course this is all speculation based on ideas offered in some of the articles I have read. The other five remains may not even be those of people working in the sex trade, although the area has had a number of known prostitutes and drug addicts go missing in the last decade.

Hopefully all the remains can be identified and the deceased loved ones can have some closure.

I look forward to hearing what you sleuthers think!

Jesikah1
02-24-2009, 12:34 AM
The total is now 10 bodies including an unborn fetus.
Here is the link: http://kob.com/article/stories/S801500.shtml?cat=500

Kat
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Possibly bones of missing prostitutes. :(

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Bones from six bodies have been uncovered in the desert west of Albuquerque during the past two weeks, and police said Tuesday they were likely put there by one person.

As detectives shore up their list of suspects, the list of possible victims is growing to include a group of 16 prostitutes who went missing from Albuquerque between 2001 and 2006 and others reported missing to other area law enforcement agencies.

snipped from the article:

"Argueta said his detectives are looking at a few suspects in connection with Chavez's case. Two suspects — Fred Reynolds and Lorenzo Montoya — are dead.

Reynolds, 60, was an Albuquerque area pimp who was found dead of natural causes in January. Police say he had pictures of some of the missing prostitutes in his home.

Montoya, 39, was shot and killed in 2006 after he killed a 19-year-old prostitute, Sherika Hill, and tried to stuff her nude body in the trunk of his car. Her pimp, parked outside his trailer waiting for Hill, shot Montoya."

JaneInOz
02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
How terribly sad :(

They are all someones child and they should have proper burials :(

Jesikah1
02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I saw this before Kat and while I have nothing more than a gut instinct to go on, I don't know if the men mentioned in the initial article are responsible for all ten bodies. I think it depends on the identity of the bodies and the time frame of the dumps. I would hope that the police would have already been trying to tie these suspects' names to the other missing women as they shared similar risk factors in the way they went missing. However, it is possible that this discovery is what it takes for the police to really dig deeper into the circumstances of Albuquerque's missing women. Just my two cents! My goodness though, I hope they are able to solve this one, ten bodies in the span of five or six years has a monster's fingerprints all over it, and just imagine if the culprit isn't one of these two dead suspects?

shadowraiths
02-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Expert suspects work ofserial killer
APD still mum on theories
Updated: Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009, 12:25 AM MST
Published : Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009, 12:24 AM MST
* Reporter: Tim Maestas
* Web Producer: Bill Diven

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - The skeletal remains found buried on Albuquerque’s West Mesa over the last two weeks appear to be the work of a serial killer, according to a university professor who has studied that class of criminal for years.

Albuquerque police found the remains of four more people on Saturday and Monday, bringing the total number of potential victims to 10. One of the dead includes an unborn child.

“This has all the trappings of a serial murder case,” Dr. Dirk Gibson of the University of New Mexico told KRQE News 13.

Gibson has studied more than 1,000 serial killers and written three books on the subject.

“We don’t know the cause of death yet, but we would assume it’s not accidental,” Gibson said.

Albuquerque police said it is possible the buried people were murdered but has insisted it’s too early to tell.
Full article: click here (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_expert_suspects_work_of_ser ial_killer_200902240020)

Kat
02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I saw this before Kat and while I have nothing more than a gut instinct to go on, I don't know if the men mentioned in the initial article are responsible for all ten bodies. I think it depends on the identity of the bodies and the time frame of the dumps. I would hope that the police would have already been trying to tie these suspects' names to the other missing women as they shared similar risk factors in the way they went missing. However, it is possible that this discovery is what it takes for the police to really dig deeper into the circumstances of Albuquerque's missing women. Just my two cents! My goodness though, I hope they are able to solve this one, ten bodies in the span of five or six years has a monster's fingerprints all over it, and just imagine if the culprit isn't one of these two dead suspects?

Respectfully bolded by me.

I, too, would be surprised if they were either as a pair or individually responsible. Montoya had been involved with a murder of a female before but it was back in either 2007 or 2006 and I can't find an archived article on the incident only a reference made to him killing a woman and then being shot by her boyfriend.

Perhaps it is sloppy reporting but I found in interesting that the other man, was said to have "Police say he had pictures of some of the missing prostitutes in his home." (quoted from the article posted in post #1).

But yet, also from that article "Of the six sets of remains, only one has been identified through dental records provided by the family of Victoria Chavez when they reported her missing in 2004."

I'm not sure how to connect that man if he has pictures of some of the women that had been missing~to~ he might be responsible for the remains of the victims found when only one had been identified at that time.

:waitasec: I probably didn't make a lot of sense trying to type that out. I hope you all can sort out what I am trying to say.

Law_girl41
02-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Does NM have any issue with border problems? I saw a special that NM was having problems with drug lord murders from Mexico spilling into the US, inc. NM deserts......However, these murders apear to be burried??? A serial killer may take the time to burry his victims, while a drug lord more than likely wound not. Anyone taking the time to burry a victim, doesnt want them to be found and in other words, wants to continue this crime.......Just my thoughts.

But hopefully they are able to identify the remains of all the victims and be returned to their loved ones for closure. And likewise, hope they are able to solve who commited them.

MeoW333
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
With 10 bodies found in the same "dumping ground" shows the person dumping them there was very comfortable with the spot.

Julessleuther
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
That is what I thought of too. In AZ we have a problem with coyotes (people who carry illegals across the border for money) dumping people in the desert, where they succumb to the elements, and many illegals getting killed in drug issues.

Does NM have any issue with border problems? I saw a special that NM was having problems with drug lord murders from Mexico spilling into the US, inc. NM deserts......However, these murders apear to be burried??? A serial killer may take the time to burry his victims, while a drug lord more than likely wound not. Anyone taking the time to burry a victim, doesnt want them to be found and in other words, wants to continue this crime.......Just my thoughts.

But hopefully they are able to identify the remains of all the victims and be returned to their loved ones for closure. And likewise, hope they are able to solve who commited them.

believe09
02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
So the count is up, but the authorities believe it is one single incident....so they believe that these 9 people were murdered at the same time and then buried...and no one noticed. What would motivate a mass murder like this-drugs, eliminating witnesses?

Let's say some were illegals-why take out everyone? Had they been questioned by LE regarding drugs or a sex-trade ring??

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/24/nm.bodies/index.html

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I've been following this case and Joel Patrick Courtney keeps coming to mind. LE is pretty sure he's a prolific serial killer, but have not found any victims.

(snip)
Bernalillo County, New Mexico District Attorney Kari Brandenburg said she thinks Courtney may be linked to some other disappearances and wants investigators to examine where else Courtney may have traveled and stayed between Corvallis and Albuquerque and "see if there are any unresolved cases."
(great article at link)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/joel_courtney/1.html

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Expert suspects work ofserial killer
APD still mum on theories
Updated: Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009, 12:25 AM MST
Published : Tuesday, 24 Feb 2009, 12:24 AM MST
* Reporter: Tim Maestas

Full article: click here (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_expert_suspects_work_of_ser ial_killer_200902240020)

Have you worked up a profile on the Unsub yet? I'd be extremely interested in what you think.

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2006/jan2006/jan2006leb.htm

(snip)
Although Courtney grew up in the Portland, Oregon, area, he has moved extensively during his adult life. There is a high possibility that he has assaulted other victims in the following areas: Albuquerque, New Mexico (7/1994-8/ 1994, 8/1997, and 11/2000); Anchorage, Alaska (1989-1992); Beaverton, Oregon (1986-1992); Bernalillo, New Mexico (5/1995-8/1997); Cape Canaveral, Florida (5/2001-3/2003); Cocoa Beach, Florida (5/2001-9/2002); Grants, New Mexico (9/1995); Pensacola, Florida (5/2001); Portland, Oregon (1980-1989, 1993, and 2004); and Rio Rancho, New Mexico (6/1996-2004). In addition, he is known to have traveled to Mexico via Arizona.

ETA: Alert to Law Enforcement

Law enforcement agencies should bring this information to the attention of all homicide, sex offender, and cold case units regarding cases in which Joel Patrick Courtney may be involved. Anyone having cases similar to the described modus operandi with the suspect’s DNA evidence should contact Crime Analyst Vicki McRoberts, Corvallis, Oregon, Police Department at 541766-6989 or Crime Analyst Ken Whitla of the ViCAP Unit at 703-632-4254. The Corvallis Police Department maintains a DNA profile for the suspect.

believe09
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
snip
Officer Nadine Hamby said the bodies appear to have been buried between 2003 and 2005, and authorities believe the deaths were tied to a single incident.
snip

This is a snip from the CNN article. I am assuming that it appears as if there was a mass grave dug, and then these folks were executed. If there were bullets, then I assume they would have been found among the remains and COD would be no surprise.

So were they killed elsewhere and dumped? How does someone control at least 9 adults and kill them? There is no mention that they were bound-perhaps that is holdback.

This is a puzzler, given the differing press reports...first of a serial killer and now a statement about a single incident??

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
snip
Officer Nadine Hamby said the bodies appear to have been buried between 2003 and 2005, and authorities believe the deaths were tied to a single incident.
snip

This is a snip from the CNN article. I am assuming that it appears as if there was a mass grave dug, and then these folks were executed. If there were bullets, then I assume they would have been found among the remains and COD would be no surprise.

So were they killed elsewhere and dumped? How does someone control at least 9 adults and kill them? There is no mention that they were bound-perhaps that is holdback.

This is a puzzler, given the differing press reports...first of a serial killer and now a statement about a single incident??

And 9 people missing at once would be quite noticable. A drop house or smuggling occured to me. But that wouldn't explain Chavez' body being there.

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok, I’ve found ten listed missing between 2003-2005 at the below link. We have 9 bodies (minus the fetus) One body has been identified leaving 8 UID’s. I’ve put asterists by the two I don’t feel fit with the rest. That leaves 8 missing and 8 UID’s. They did not go missing at the same time though. Not sure where I’m going with this yet. Just thought I would post it for consideration.J

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&state=NM&alpha=% (http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&state=NM&alpha=%25)

2003-05-30 Brenda Jeen Apalicio

2003-05-15 Monica Diana Candelaria

2005-10-15 Harvey Dale Fernandez

2005-05-14 Nina Brenda Herron

2003-04-14 Christine Julian

2004-10-06 Neil Michael McPhee*

2003-08-01 Alvin Chege Muthemba

2004-03-26 Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar and Jamie Barela (also missing),

2004-03-26 Jamie Barela and Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar

2003-10-07 Joseph William Segur*

Ruflossn
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
The cause of Chavez's death was not known, but Albuquerque police spokesman John Walsh speculated last week that her death could be related to violent sex trade.

I have been following this story for the past few days. It gets more and more bizarre. There are now 9 adults and 1 unborn child that have been tied to this crime scene. They are all reported dead from one incident and involvement in a violent sex trade is now suspicioned? Only one of the bodies that has been found has been identified, that of a known prostitute and drug abuser. I would immediately begin looking at the identified females victimology. Somewhere amongst her "friends" the truth of what went terribly wrong in the lives of these victims will be found. Whoever "dumped" the bodies in this area, must have been very familiar and comfortable w/ the area.

-One incident killed 10 people (this includes the unborn child)
-One victim has been identified
-The identified victim lived a high risk lifestyle
-One victim was pregnant
-A violent sex trade has been mentioned as a possible connection
-The victims were "buried". Their deaths were concealed........ why? If it were tied to drugs I would think burial would be the last thing concerning a drug lord. Wouldn't you want to "send a message" to your enemies that you meant serious business.........

This is a strange, twisted, and sad case.
It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Ruflossn
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok, I’ve found ten listed missing between 2003-2005 at the below link. We have 9 bodies (minus the fetus) One body has been identified leaving 8 UID’s. I’ve put asterists by the two I don’t feel fit with the rest. That leaves 8 missing and 8 UID’s. They did not go missing at the same time though. Not sure where I’m going with this yet. Just thought I would post it for consideration.J

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&state=NM&alpha=% (http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&state=NM&alpha=%25)

2003-05-30 Brenda Jeen Apalicio

2003-05-15 Monica Diana Candelaria

2005-10-15 Harvey Dale Fernandez

2005-05-14 Nina Brenda Herron

2003-04-14 Christine Julian

2004-10-06 Neil Michael McPhee*

2003-08-01 Alvin Chege Muthemba

2004-03-26 Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar and Jamie Barela (also missing),

2004-03-26 Jamie Barela and Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar

2003-10-07 Joseph William Segur*

Awesome work SuziQ!

Kat
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
That is what I thought of too. In AZ we have a problem with coyotes (people who carry illegals across the border for money) dumping people in the desert, where they succumb to the elements, and many illegals getting killed in drug issues.

Given the very few facts that have been released as of this time, I am thinking along these lines too Jules. Not only do the coyotes dump in the desert, I vaguely remember that some have even allowed the people they are transporting to die in large numbers (IIRC the back of a truck/van).

So why not take them out as a group and dump them rather than risk being caught after a number of dead are found and it can be traced back to them?

Interesting theory for now.

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Given the very few facts that have been released as of this time, I am thinking along these lines too Jules. Not only do the coyotes dump in the desert, I vaguely remember that some have even allowed the people they are transporting to die in large numbers (IIRC the back of a truck/van).

So why not take them out as a group and dump them rather than risk being caught after a number of dead are found and it can be traced back to them?

Interesting theory for now.

This really is the only theory that would explain 9 people missing at once and not having them reported missing. Chavez is still a kink though. But she could have been involved in the smuggling side and crossed someone badly.

believe09
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
This really is the only theory that would explain 9 people missing at once and not having them reported missing. Chavez is still a kink though. But she could have been involved in the smuggling side and crossed someone badly.

Then they were either on the verge of death when dumped or contained in something when they died because how do you find 9+ people dead within such a relatively small area?

Lets say they were locked in a container or the back of a truck. Then someone went back and buried them? Or they died in the container/truck and someone took them somewhere and dumped them....

cynsational
02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Were these bodies buried? If so, how deep? Digging a grave large enough for 10 would not be easily done.

Jesikah1
02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Wow, it really does appear to be drug or smuggling related if all these deaths occurred in one incident. What confuses me is that while it is a pretty remote area, it is not completely desolate. This area is on the edge of the state's biggest city which is rapidly expanding, (I mean you can see all the houses in the pictures of the crime scene) and this dump was fairly recent so it appears that whomever did this either did not have alot of forethought, or simply did not care about the ramifications of the bodies being discovered.

The one thing that does not make sense to me is Victoria Chavez, her death seems more likely the working of a serial killer. In addition, on the Charley Project, many of New Mexico's missing women have the following tag written in the details of their disappearance:
"...is one of a dozen women who were reported missing from the Albuquerque area since 2001. All of them were involved in drugs and prostitution, but investigators are not certain whether the cases are related." http://charleyproject.org/cases/h/herron_nina.html

I don't know, my first instinct was that this was going to resolve the whereabouts of many of those 12 missing women, but the circumstances revealed today make that theory less likely, although Victoria Chavez's presence is puzzling in the most obvious scenario of smuggling. I think that more information will leak out in the days to follow that will clarify some of the confusion. Hopefully it will at least, because right now I don't know what to think:(

Jesikah1
02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I've been following this case and Joel Patrick Courtney keeps coming to mind. LE is pretty sure he's a prolific serial killer, but have not found any victims.

(snip)
Bernalillo County, New Mexico District Attorney Kari Brandenburg said she thinks Courtney may be linked to some other disappearances and wants investigators to examine where else Courtney may have traveled and stayed between Corvallis and Albuquerque and "see if there are any unresolved cases."
(great article at link)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/joel_courtney/1.html

He would certainly appear to be viable suspect, if this is deemed to be the work of a serial killer. (although today's information appears as though this is less likely.) However, I'd like an opinion on the fact that in Courtney's case, of the two victims I know of, they were both wholesome college girls. Would someone prey on both prostitutes and girl next door types?

SuziQ
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
He would certainly appear to be viable suspect, if this is deemed to be the work of a serial killer. (although today's information appears as though this is less likely.) However, I'd like an opinion on the fact that in Courtney's case, of the two victims I know of, they were both wholesome college girls. Would someone prey on both prostitutes and girl next door types?

With the latest info I'm leaning away from Joel. Regarding a serial killer's type, I know some covet a certain type, but also take victims because the opportunity presents itself rather than the type. A prostitute can be easier had, but a pretty college girl might be more difficult. I'm not sure the stats on what serial killers stick with.

ETA: if LE is solid on the years 2003-2005, then that would eleminate Joel because he was arrested in 2004.

Bargle
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, did.

Ruflossn
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Were these bodies buried? If so, how deep? Digging a grave large enough for 10 would not be easily done.

The bodies were buried, I am unaware of an article that says how deeply they were buried............

*Bolding mine

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 03:16 AM
FBI To Help In West Mesa Remains Cases

http://www.koat.com/news/18788605/detail.html

Expert Offers Theory On West Mesa Remains

http://www.koat.com/news/18788697/detail.html

chicagofa13
02-25-2009, 03:24 AM
I haven't been able to read all the links, but I can't buy into the single incident! It doesn't make sense to me. If they didn't already have an ID on the one girl I would be more likely to go for it. She doesn't fit. I would like someone to look at the list Suzy did (great work!) and eliminate them first.

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 03:33 AM
I'm very curious to know what was found that indicated that this is a single incident. LE doesn't even have full skeletons and only one ID. My understanding is the field was graded and/or tilled, which is what brought the bones up to the surface. Everything had to be scattered. So what the heck does LE know?

chicagofa13
02-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Good point! It seems pretty early to call it one incident. We've seen in the news lately the mass killings in Mexico and they make no effort to hide it, they are sending a message. I don't see a smuggler bothering to bury 9 bodies and a known prostitute, imo of course.

(And sorry for misspelling your name Suzi, won't happen again!)

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Good point! It seems pretty early to call it one incident. We've seen in the news lately the mass killings in Mexico and they make no effort to hide it, they are sending a message. I don't see a smuggler bothering to bury 9 bodies and a known prostitute, imo of course.

(And sorry for misspelling your name Suzi, won't happen again!)

Lol, I didn't notice.

Jesikah1
02-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Thank You for the links SuziQ, and for your opinion on how predators might choose their victims, both were quite enlightening. The commercial serial killer concept that is offered by the expert is interesting, but I wonder how plausible. It doesn't seem like somebody would hire an outside person to kill off or hide ten victims who are living lifestyles so far under the radar. If the speculation that the victims are prostitutes etc... is true, what threat would they pose an organization or person to the point that they would pay another to commit or cover up this crime?

I am also wondering if the declarations regarding this being attributable to one singular incident a bit suspect. While it may indeed be true, I agree with ChicagoFA and SuziQ who wondered if it isn't a bit premature for LE to be so sure. Is this something they might put out there to quell the community's fear?

MeoW333
02-25-2009, 09:40 AM

That's a very good point to bring up if LE is saying the deaths are all tied to one incident. Perhaps Victoria knew the coyote or was acting as a translator for a coyote, who killed everyone and kept the money that was paid for them to cross the border.

Kat
02-25-2009, 10:18 AM
We don't know how deep the other nine were buried but in the first article that chicagofa13 posted (Post #1: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29247408/

snipped from article:

"Victoria Chavez ... Police said her remains were found intact in a grave 18 inches (46 centimeters) deep without clothing or any other items."

That's very shallow don't you think? I wonder if the other's were buried in such shallow graves? Wouldn't take very long to dig down 18 inches, even if you had to bury 10 bodies.

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
An Albuquerque mother say she thinks her daughter is one of the ten bodies found buried out on the West Mesa.
Jamie Barela was just 15-years-old when she went missing in 2004, along with her 25-year-old cousin Evelyn Salazar. (more at link)

http://kob.com/article/stories/S804136.shtml?cat=517

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
The below comment indicates that this may not have been a single event. There is also a good video of the scene at the below link.

http://kob.com/article/stories/S802962.shtml?cat=516

(snip)
Police suspect that all of the remains recovered so far are those of young women. They say they believe all of the makeshift burials were undertaken by the same person in 2004 and 2005.

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
(snipped for space)
The one thing that does not make sense to me is Victoria Chavez, her death seems more likely the working of a serial killer. In addition, on the Charley Project, many of New Mexico's missing women have the following tag written in the details of their disappearance:
"...is one of a dozen women who were reported missing from the Albuquerque area since 2001. All of them were involved in drugs and prostitution, but investigators are not certain whether the cases are related." http://charleyproject.org/cases/h/herron_nina.html

Thanks for the heads up on the dozen women. I went through the profiles at The Charley Project and found 8 that specifically refer to the dozen missing. I double checked but still may have missed some that have that reference.

Cinnamon Elks (http://charleyproject.org/cases/e/elks_cinnamon.html)

Virginia Ann Cloven (http://charleyproject.org/cases/c/cloven_virginia.html)

Felipa Gonzales (http://charleyproject.org/cases/g/gonzales_felipa.html)

Anselma Guerra (http://charleyproject.org/cases/g/guerra_anselma.html)

Nina Brenda Herron (http://charleyproject.org/cases/h/herron_nina.html)

Julie Cyndie Nieto (http://charleyproject.org/cases/n/nieto_julie.html)

Anna Vigil (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/vigil_anna.html)

Shawntell Waites (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/waites_shawntell.html)

Ruflossn
02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
11th Body Found At West Mesa

Police said they have also identified the eighth body found as that of Gina Michelle Valdez, with a birthdate of Aug. 1, 1982. She was reported missing in 2005. Her bones, including the bones of the fetus she was carrying, were uncovered Monday.

http://www.koat.com/news/18794758/detail.html

Forgive me if this has been posted, I did not see it referenced above~ Looks like there have now been 11 bodies uncovered and 8 have been identified.

amethyst
02-25-2009, 08:05 PM
There have only been two identified so far.

TopGunner
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
There have only been two identified so far.

It may be an error, but in the link provided by Ruflossn above, it does state:

>>Police said they have also identified the eighth body found as that of Gina Michelle Valdez, with a birthdate of Aug. 1, 1982. She was reported missing in 2005. Her bones, including the bones of the fetus she was carrying, were discovered Saturday<<

Kat
02-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Gina Michelle Valdez

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/valdez_michelle.html

Missing date: 22 SEP 2004

Can't find one missing information for Victoria Chavez.

ETA: She has an update on Charley project. "Chavez, 24, disappeared from Albuquerque, New Mexico on June 5, 2003"
http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html
slightly past mid-page.

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the updates! Since Victoria and Gina went missing in different years, it appears this isn't one single event.

SuziQ
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
24 in 24 months?!!!

http://www.koat.com/news/18794758/detail.html

(snip)
"Several years ago we noticed an increasing number of young women missing in the Albuquerque area, and the fact is we are very proactive and already had the files together of the missing 24 women and we actually already had on file 17 sets of dental records," said Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz.

Jesikah1
02-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Here is a video of Gina Michelle Valdez's father commenting on finally knowing where his daughter is: http://www.koat.com/video/18788426/index.html

May he get the answers he needs.

ETA:Sorry, it looks like the link goes to KOAT's daily videos, but if you scroll down on the page there are two videos to choose from with G.M. Valdez's father speaking.

chicagofa13
02-26-2009, 04:16 AM
It may be an error, but in the link provided by Ruflossn above, it does state:

>>Police said they have also identified the eighth body found as that of Gina Michelle Valdez, with a birthdate of Aug. 1, 1982. She was reported missing in 2005. Her bones, including the bones of the fetus she was carrying, were discovered Saturday<<

IMO they are saying the eighth body found in the search has been ID'd. Not that 8 have been ID'd. If that made sense!

I can't edit anymore but my original title needs to be changed: Bones of at least 11 women found...

Glad they are moving away from the single incident theory.

Ruflossn
02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
IMO they are saying the eighth body found in the search has been ID'd. Not that 8 have been ID'd. If that made sense!

I can't edit anymore but my original title needs to be changed: Bones of at least 11 women found...

Glad they are moving away from the single incident theory.

I had a hard time believing the single incident story. Especially after more and more bodies were recovered.

Kat
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29402299/

Some snips of what I found interesting in the above article dated 26 FEB 2009:

"The remains were found buried in roughly 30-by-10-yard area atop a mesa west of the city."

and:

"Albuquerque police think one person is responsible for burying the bodies but have not named a suspect."

Hmmm, not one incident but one person responsible now?

MeoW333
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Wow, i wonder how many they will find.. 11 so far.
It will be great when they can determine the ages of all the remains and when they had each been buried. Help to establish a timeline.
Looks like a serial killer was very familiar with that spot.

SeriouslySearching
02-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Incredible. And sad. I wonder how many of those are in our missing files on WS?

They said on HLN a minute ago about it being a single serial killer and brought up about the one from LA, CA who still hasn't been caught. The talking head is going into his opinion of why they probably aren't related.

11 bodies and they think more will be found says that this killer has been getting away with this easily for a very long time. Is it because of the lifestyles of the victims? Did LE not pursue the cases because of it? Makes me wonder how this perp slid under the radar until the bodies were discovered (and may still not ever be caught). How does he kill a dozen people and leave no clues?!

SuziQ
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Family gathers to remember victim

http://kob.com/article/stories/S808017.shtml?cat=500

Trino
02-27-2009, 02:50 AM
This area is a little remote. Still, it's hard to envision someone taking bodies out there in such an open spot, and burying them w/o being discovered.

I appears the victims identified so far were on the fringes, maybe not homeless, but somehow involved in drugs/prostitiution.

SuziQ
02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
2 more bodies found in NM desert raise total to 13

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jHoyOxB-E50OhIqc4aIyyfP0WNKQD96K7IRG0

SuziQ
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
http://kob.com/article/stories/S809536.shtml?cat=519

(snip)
APD said they will tear down a retaining wall in the area where the 13th victim, a woman, was found.
"There's actually a retaining wall behind where Jane Doe number 13 is," Schultz said. "We will be taking that retaining wall out as the course of this investigation continues because we feel that we need to continue our investigation in that direction."
Searchers are using hand tools to dig up more remains.

SuziQ
02-28-2009, 03:34 PM
One POI lived close to the dig site. And I wonder if rope made out of duck tape was found at the scene? Good video at the below link.

http://kob.com/article/stories/S810040.shtml?cat=516

(snip)
Police said Montoya had tied Hill up with a rope made out of duct tape. Investigators said the way the rope was made suggested Montoya had done it before.
Another reason Montoya is getting attention is how close he lived to the dig site--about two miles.
Back in 2006, there were dirt trails that led directly from Montoya's mobile home park to the dig site.

Kat
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the updates SuziQ. Montoya and the other man were named as POI's early in the investigation. Both are dead.

The article you gave a link to in your post # 58 that gave the account of the crime where Montoya killed a woman, was very interesting. I hadn't been able to locate an article on that from the archives.

I wonder if we would still be able to search for Montoya's rap sheet or the other POI as we are in other cases? It would be interesting to see what kind of offenses they had been arrested for in the past.

Kat
02-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I do not have L. Montoya's middle initial. I can only guess his year of birth at 1967 (+/- 1 Yr) given that he was killed in 2006 at the age of 39.

I did a search of court records at the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court link, there were quite a few results returned for the individual that I searched for by the search terms outlined above.

A great many were Traffic violations. I do not think that those would be of interest to us in looking at his history. However, what caught my eye were the following charges.

These are charges and I have not followed to the sentence and/or dismissal of these charges.

I do not know for sure if this is the L. Montoya that is referred to in the article above. But the year of birth is accurate (no others of that name with that year found) and the descriptions of the defendent are consistant.

That being said here are some charges I saw:

1/12/2005 Patronizing prostitutes

7/13/2002 Unlawful carry deadly weapon

11/03/1999 Criminal Sexual Penetration 2nd degree, Criminal Sexual Penetration 3rd degree, Kidnapping (all charges Nolle prosequi)

9/26/1998 Patronizing prostitutes

5/04/1994 Assault domestic Violence Case

4/22/1989 Unlawful carry deadly weapon

Just found them interesting.

SuziQ
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow, thank you Kat!!!

Kat
02-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I do have a question for anyone familar with that city. Is that city located within one county? Or are there suburbs that would be considered a part of the city by locals that are located within another county? If so, may I have a list of those counties please?

Kat
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow, thank you Kat!!!

:) @ SuziQ. I'll be happy to try to find a history on the other POI if I can. Also I saw in the article you posted an address for the location for the latest find.

Here is one thing that I can't do on this computer. I can't locate map images on google and bring them here.

If someone will have a look and see if they can pinpoint the area of the discovery, and post it here it might give us an idea as to the location of the find and the city itself. Also, birds eye views and street views may be of interest?

TIA for anyone up to the challange.

The site is near Dennis Chavez and 118th street. (ETA: Sen. Dennis Chavez BLVD)

Kat
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Here is a link that provides selections of what looks like local TV station coverage. The west mesa graves in media spotlight gives a very good look at where this site is and how big this search site is...thought you might be interested SusiQ.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/851531/west_mesa_graves_in_media_spotlight

mysteriew
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I do not have L. Montoya's middle initial. I can only guess his year of birth at 1967 (+/- 1 Yr) given that he was killed in 2006 at the age of 39.

I did a search of court records at the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court link, there were quite a few results returned for the individual that I searched for by the search terms outlined above.

A great many were Traffic violations. I do not think that those would be of interest to us in looking at his history. However, what caught my eye were the following charges.

These are charges and I have not followed to the sentence and/or dismissal of these charges.

I do not know for sure if this is the L. Montoya that is referred to in the article above. But the year of birth is accurate (no others of that name with that year found) and the descriptions of the defendent are consistant.

That being said here are some charges I saw:

1/12/2005 Patronizing prostitutes

7/13/2002 Unlawful carry deadly weapon

11/03/1999 Criminal Sexual Penetration 2nd degree, Criminal Sexual Penetration 3rd degree, Kidnapping (all charges Nolle prosequi)

9/26/1998 Patronizing prostitutes

5/04/1994 Assault domestic Violence Case

4/22/1989 Unlawful carry deadly weapon

Just found them interesting.

Good job Kat. I find this interesting too. He certainly has the type of history that would go along with this type of case. 4 cases involving women including sex crimes and patronizing prostitutes. Two cases that on the surface don't involve women, but do involve guns.

They may or may not be able to find COD for the women that died, but I do hope if they were shot that maybe they could find a bullet. And I hope his gun is still in evidence.

Ruflossn
03-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Does anyone know if there has been foreign DNA recovered from any of the victims? I am curious to know if it matches Montoyas. I know it will take a while for any DNA results to be available but, I would like to know if DNA has been recovered.

truecrime
03-01-2009, 12:32 AM
http://http://cbs3.com/topstories/albuquerque.west.mesa.2.946836.html

First post with link: Hope it works - and LE doesn't think this is a sign of a serial killer!! Pleeeeeeeeease!

mysteriew
03-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Does anyone know if there has been foreign DNA recovered from any of the victims? I am curious to know if it matches Montoyas. I know it will take a while for any DNA results to be available but, I would like to know if DNA has been recovered.

The chances of them getting any DNA or prints on or around the remains is very, very slim. They have been exposed to the weather and soil so any prints and DNA that might have been available is almost impossible.

Marie
03-01-2009, 02:55 AM
http://cbs3.com/topstories/albuquerque.west.mesa.2.946836.html (http://http://cbs3.com/topstories/albuquerque.west.mesa.2.946836.html)

First post with link: Hope it works - and LE doesn't think this is a sign of a serial killer!! Pleeeeeeeeease!

Wrong - they DO think it's a sign of a serial killer, but they're keeping quite about details - here's a quote:

Police say they suspect the remains were buried by one person but aren't limiting their investigation to one suspect. They also have not released a cause of death for any of the bodies, and are hesitant to say if any were murdered.

I corrected your link - one too many http's but great for your 1st try! :)

kline
03-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Wow! Theyre up to Thirteen?
Last I heard it was six.
Sounds like bad one.

At least were not getting the standard LE line:"Yes we have Forty bodies in the same Thirty Square Foot area but we see no,I repeat..no indication that the murders are connected ...in fact we feel they are Forty runaways who happened to all trip and fall in the same spot....":waitasec:

Ruflossn
03-01-2009, 12:33 PM
The chances of them getting any DNA or prints on or around the remains is very, very slim. They have been exposed to the weather and soil so any prints and DNA that might have been available is almost impossible.

I am sure you are correct about the elements destroying the DNA. :(
Has the cause of death been released on any of the victims? If the victims were murdered by firearms, perhaps fingerprints could be recovered from the bullets........

Kat
03-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I searched the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court site for Fred R., it was reported in the article posted in post #1 that he died in JAN 2009 at the age of 60. I have made the assumption that he was born in 1948 (+/- 1 yr.). I searched only for Fred R. no variations on the first name which could either be given name or a shortened version of a given name. Again, I have no middle initial.

There was one Fred R. born 1948 listed at the Court site I searched. I will post what is of interest to this case here. Traffic violations are left off.

Again, this may or may not be the POI that LE has named.

Fred D. Reynolds yob 1948

Only 4 driving violations.

Criminal Charges:

6/22/ 2001 - 2 charges of promoting prostitution both charges were Nolle prosequi.

4/11/1998 - Unlawful Carry deadly weapon - plead guilty-status closed.

Not much there.

Kat
03-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Another interesting note:

Last address for L. M. Montoya was listed as 4000 Blake Rd SW, Unit ## (I left that out in case there is family still residing there) albuquerque NM.

The closest intersection of the dig was reported as near Dennis Chavez and 118th street.

Looking at the video of the dig I would think that the dig area was on the closer side of Dennis Chavez blvd to Albuquerque.

At any rate, the last address of Montoya and the dig site( intersection given in media reports is only 3.3 mi – about 9 mins.

No wonder LE has their eye on him as a POI.

PoorPaulaNNJ
03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Wow! Pretty interesting. This article is a chache view of one that was originally printed in 2006, after Montoya's death. Montoya's family is questioning certain facts in the police report/version, and letting out important details in doing so. I think this guy, who died at 39, is definitely responsible for these bodies......but even scarier.....at 39, I find it extremely likely, that he didn't begin his killing career only five years before his death. I'm going to look and see if I can find more stuff based on where he lived before he died, other than at the trailer park. This was one bad dude.

http://tinyurl.com/d9tcdm
The story, as bad as it is, just doesn't add up, the man's family says.
Lorenzo Montoya, 39, met the 19-year-old girl in an Internet chat room, police had said. But according to his family, Montoya didn't know anything about computers, and didn't own one.
Police said that, moments before Montoya was shot to death, he threatened the girl's boyfriend with a gun. But he wasn't holding a gun, only a flashlight, the family said.
And according to police, the boyfriend discovered the girl, bound and strangled to death, inside Montoya's South Valley trailer. Yet her body was actually found outside the trailer on the ground, the family said.
But mostly, the story of Lorenzo Montoya's end, his portrayal as a monster and possible serial killer, doesn't add up with what his family says they knew about a man they loved.
"We are led to believe that a man with a 16-year-old daughter he cared for so deeply is capable of choking the life out of a 19-year-old girl," one family member wrote in an e-mail.
Police, meanwhile, acknowledged Wednesday that some details initially released about the killings were not accurate but say they still believe Montoya killed Shericka Hill before he died.
Montoya and Hill did not meet in an Internet chat room, as first reported, but in a chat room of the older, telephonic variety. It was the kind of place you might reach by calling the numbers in the blue ads at the back of certain local news magazines, said Carlos Argueta, a sergeant with the homicide unit of Albuquerque police.
Montoya and Hill then met briefly in person and agreed to rendezvous at Montoya's trailer off Blake Drive in the South Valley. Montoya left to get money. Hill went and picked up her boyfriend, 18-year-old Fredrick Williams, who stayed out of sight in the car once they arrived at the trailer park.
What happened next, Argueta said, also differed from initial reports.
Williams remained in the car, as police had said. After some time had passed, he grew concerned and began trying to contact Hill on her cell phone. The phone was equipped with a walkie-talkie device, and Williams tried to reach her using that. He was calling constantly, Argueta said.
But before the confrontation in which police say Williams shot Montoya in apparent self-defense, the two men had another encounter.
In that encounter, Argueta said, Montoya presented himself as "some kind of security guard" and ordered Williams to leave. Williams said he was looking for his girlfriend, that she was somewhere in the trailer park. Montoya "shooed him away," Argueta said.
Williams circled the park. Some minutes later, Argueta said, Williams again noticed Montoya. It was still dark, some time between 4 and 5 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 17. Montoya was outside his trailer, Argueta said, attempting to load Hill's body into a red truck that belonged to his neighbor. He saw Williams and dropped the body, perhaps hoping Williams hadn't noticed, and resumed his security guard pose. He walked toward Williams and told him he would help him search for his girlfriend, Argueta said.
Williams had noticed something. He told Montoya that he was calling police. The men argued.
"A gunbattle ensued," Argueta said. Police had, he said, found a gun on or near Montoya.
Much of that account is based on statements to police by Williams, who was questioned and later released and has not been charged with a crime. But Argueta said police have also found evidence linking Montoya to Hill's death, the nature of which he said he couldn't disclose.
Police have searched Montoya's trailer and several vehicles in connection with their investigation, and those search warrants will be made public soon, Argueta said.
"We're not just going off what the boyfriend says," he said.
Argueta said police have not received any response to bulletins sent to other law enforcement agencies across the country, asking if any have similar, unsolved crimes.
Bernalillo County Sheriff Darren White said his detectives are sharing information with Albuquerque police about a pair of missing person cases involving women with vocations similar to Hill's. But that part of the investigation - which has fueled speculation that Montoya may have been involved in other crimes - is just beginning, White said.
Members of Montoya's family, who spoke to The Tribune on the condition they not be identified, said they still have questions about the police version of events. Why, one asked, would Montoya load a body into someone else's truck?
They acknowledged that Montoya had done things in his life he wasn't proud of. He'd been arrested in 1999 on charges he choked and raped a prostitute, but those charges were dropped.
His family said they knew him as a different man, one who had come through his adversities. He was funny and bright, a good father and a hard worker, someone to be proud of.
"I'll say this," one family member said. "If he did what they're saying, he was the greatest Jekyll and Hyde act I've ever heard of."

PoorPaulaNNJ
03-01-2009, 03:07 PM
This was one super evil monster. I'm shaking as I'm typing because of the stuff I'm finding. Creeeeepy! Thank god, he's dead.

Here's Montoya's vitals: Lorenzo M. Montoya; Date of Birth: May 29, 1967; Date of death: Dec 17, 2006

and another interesting article cache after his death

http://tinyurl.com/b7jrx2

Shooting Victims Behavior Probbed

Had Lorenzo Montoya done something like this before?
That question hung over the scene police discovered at a West Side trailer park Sunday morning.
Montoya, 39, had been shot dead in apparent self-defense by the boyfriend of a 19-year-old woman who police say had agreed to return to Montoya's home to dance for him.
The woman, Shericka Hill, was found inside the trailer, partially clothed, her hands bound with duct tape. She had been strangled to death, police say.
Authorities are looking into the possibility that Montoya may have killed before, though they haven't found indication of that, Albuquerque Police spokesman John Walsh said Monday.
Bulletins have been sent to law enforcement agencies across the country asking if any have unsolved crimes resembling the scene left by Montoya. So far, none have called back, Walsh said.
Court records from Albuquerque, however, show that Montoya had a history of arrests here involving prostitution and violence. In one, he was accused of picking up a prostitute and choking and raping her.
That was in 1999. According to a criminal complaint, Montoya picked up the woman near Sun Port Boulevard.
She later told police that he forced her to perform oral sex, then slammed her against a seat and began choking her. A police car pulled up alongside, and the officer found Montoya wearing a condom and trying to pull off the woman's underwear, the complaint states.
No money changed hands, and Montoya's wallet was found to contain only $2. He was charged with criminal sexual penetration, attempted criminal sexual penetration and kidnapping, but later that year, the charges were dropped.
District Attorney Kari Brandenburg, on vacation Monday, said she would have to research why the case was dropped. She said evidence may not have corroborated the woman's story, or the woman may have refused to cooperate with prosecutors, among other possibilities.
Montoya was arrested at least seven times in the last 20 years. Out of those arrests, he was found guilty only once, on a 1989 weapons charge.
An aggravated battery charge from 1987 was dismissed, according to court records. Charges of patronizing a prostitute in 1998 and 2005 were deferred, as were a 1994 domestic violence charge and charges of shoplifting and carrying a concealed deadly weapon from 2002.
Montoya's second arrest for patronizing a prostitute occurred on Jan. 12, 2005 near Central Avenue and Gen. Stillwell Street Northeast, a few blocks from where Hill lived, according to motor vehicle records.
According to those records, Hill was 4 feet, 8 inches tall. She had no criminal record in New Mexico.
Police say she and Montoya met on an Internet chat room about 2 a.m. Sunday, then the two met briefly in person near University and Menaul.
There, Hill agreed to return to Montoya's mobile home at 4000 Blake Drive Southwest and "perform a dance," Walsh said.
Unbeknownst to Montoya, Hill stopped on her way and picked up her boyfriend, Fredrick Williams, 18.
At the mobile home park, Williams waited in the car while Hill entered Montoya's trailer. After about an hour, he grew concerned and pulled closer to the trailer. Montoya came outside with a gun, police say. Williams also had a gun, and shot Montoya multiple times, killing him.
Inside the trailer, he found Hill's body, police say.
Williams called police and was questioned and released, Walsh said. His story matches evidence collected at the scene and and he has not been charged with a crime because police say he appears to have acted in self-defense.
Brandenburg said the case would likely be taken before a grand jury.
"We want the public to have every confidence that this case has been evaluated fairly," she said.

PoorPaulaNNJ
03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
found this in NM courts; first one probably the one spoken of in article

D 21 1 30-3-5 AGGRAVATED BATTERY NOLLE PROSEQUI 01/22/1987

Domestic Violence 02/17/1998
Domestic Violence/with children 03/19/1998

txsvicki
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Montoya sounds like he could have been another Gary Ridgeway. He's most likely a serial killer who strangled and sexually assaulted his victims.

believe09
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Has law enforcement given up on the single incident theory???

Kat
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I think that they did believe09. The second set of remains that were identified showed that the victim that they belonged to disappeared on a different date and year than the first set of remains identified.

believe09
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I think that they did believe09. The second set of remains that were identified showed that the victim that they belonged to disappeared on a different date and year than the first set of remains identified.

TY Kat!:blowkiss:

chicagofa13
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the background info and hard work!! Very interesting, this guy does sound like a possible Gary Ridgeway. Super scary.

hoppyfrog
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
http://www.koat.com/news/18820598/detail.html (http://www.koat.com/news/18820598/detail.html)

1 March 09

The search for remains in the West Mesa is an agonizing wait for some families with missing loved ones.

One said it worries the bones will reveal the worst fear.

Veronica Romero's family said she was last seen at Wyoming Blvd. and Central Ave. nearly five years ago.

It is with mixed emotion that they watch as police continue to recover bones at 118th Street and Dennis Chavez.

more at link

pic
http://www.koat.com/2009/0301/18820411_240X180.jpg (http://www.koat.com/2009/0301/18820411_240X180.jpg)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

SuziQ
03-02-2009, 02:44 AM
This was one super evil monster. I'm shaking as I'm typing because of the stuff I'm finding. Creeeeepy! Thank god, he's dead.

Here's Montoya's vitals: Lorenzo M. Montoya; Date of Birth: May 29, 1967; Date of death: Dec 17, 2006

and another interesting article cache after his death

http://tinyurl.com/b7jrx2

That assault victim was lucky she got away. He only had $2 dollars in his wallet meaning he never intended to pay her and was going to kill her.

Thank you for digging up these articles. It gives us a snapshot of what most likely happened to the other victims.

SuziQ
03-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Here is a link that provides selections of what looks like local TV station coverage. The west mesa graves in media spotlight gives a very good look at where this site is and how big this search site is...thought you might be interested SusiQ.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/851531/west_mesa_graves_in_media_spotlight

Great link thanks!

The below link has a video where LE is going to send a list out to all dentists in the state to get dental records.

http://clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/853468?wpid=0

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Officials use web to
identify remains
Updated: Sunday, 01 Mar 2009, 11:13 PM MST
Published : Sunday, 01 Mar 2009, 8:28 PM MST
* Reporter: Alex Tomlin
* Web Producer: Devon Armijo

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Investigators have only identified three of the 13 sets of remains found in the West Mesa, so now authorities are looking to the internet for help.

For the first time, law enforcement officials and citizens can search the same database.

Namus.gov , run by the Department of Justice, only recently opened to the public.

Half of the website allows loved ones or victim's advocates to post a missing person, while the other half is run by law enforcement.
Full Article: click here (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_Investigors_use_web_to_Identify_Remains _200903012028)

NamUs - National Missing and Unidentified Person System: click here (http://namus.gov/)

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 04:40 AM
I do have a question for anyone familar with that city. Is that city located within one county? Or are there suburbs that would be considered a part of the city by locals that are located within another county? If so, may I have a list of those counties please?
Albuquerque is in Bernalillo County, has mountains to the east (Sandias & Manzanos) and is pretty much surrounded by reservations to the north, south, and west. With Sandia Labs & KAFB to the south east at the foot of the Manzaons. The area of the dig is in Bernalillo county and just west of the southwest valley. There are a couple of suburbs, Corrales (in the northwest valley, also in Bernalillo County) and Rio Rancho, on the West Mesa (north of highway 40 and the cliffs). The dig site is south of 40 and the cliffs.

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Have you worked up a profile on the Unsub yet? I'd be extremely interested in what you think.
While its really too early to know for certain, the fact that there are so many bodies in such a concentrated area, I'm not the least bit surprised they believe this is the work of one individual. Otoh, if they think these murders are related to the sex trade industry, it is possible there are multiple killers and the area is simply being used as a "body dump." Whatever the case may be, the burial, as described in this article (http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=6965497&page=3), is certainly interesting.

the deepest depth remains were found in was at 9 feet.
That sort of depth would take some serious digging. Esp on the mesa. That is, unless they had a back hoe. You know, what construction workers use when, oh idunno, clearing off an area for a new development, perhaps?

There is also another (though somewhat remote) consideration wrt the depth. And that would be the pre-existence of some sort of underground structure, such as a kiva. Or even an oid bomb shelter from the nuclear war panic days. Another possibility is the bodies were dumped in a ravine and the thing eventually caved in from a flash flood, and washed the remains to their final resting place. They should be able to determine the latter by checking the geological survey maps of the period in question. And, of course, there is the possibility that the identified were dumped in an old Native American burial ground. Though, that I recall, they said the remains dated between 2003-2005. Which would (obviously) rule out the burial ground angle.

So....

Let's say you could rule out the burial ground and ravine/flash flood bit, if any of the other possibilities (hand dug, back hoe, pre-existing structure), pan out, then, imho, it is indicative of premeditated murder as opposed to a crime of convenience. While it is not impossible, I am skeptical that the killer (or killers, as the case may be), murdered the victims, drove them out to some remote west mesa spot, and then dug a 9 foot grave. I am also skeptical that some averge "serial killer" joe picked them up while "cruising" the boulevard, specifically the red light district. Which, iirc, is in the southeast heights, and at minimum, a half hour drive to the dump site.

For example, in the instance of a serial killer, that degree of labor would dilute whatever high he got from the kill. Unless he's posing his victim for later gratification, he's gonna wanna get rid of the body quickly to avoid being caught. And even in the instances of say, tying up loose ends (i.e., the sex trade industry), I would think the hired guns would be skittish of hanging around with a body long enough to dig a 9 foot hole. In fact, the scenario that comes to mind at this point in time, is some sort of out call, where they meet at or near the west mesa killing fields.

As for the sex trade angle? Unless they were "sex slaves" and/or "drug mules," it seems unlikely someone would order their execution. Either way, imho, it would be helpful to know details surrounding their disappearance.

One other thing, I recall another unsolved case involving two murdered women. One was from Albuquerque and the other from Oklahoma City, if I recall correctly. While those two murders may be unrelated, there was something about these murders that reminds me of those murders. And they did occur in the referent time frame. Now if I can just find the stuff I archived on them, I can figure out what that "something" was.

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 08:08 AM
While looking for that other case, I stumbled upon 3 additional unsolved homicides, of which one is a "Jane Doe." I've mapped the four locations which can be accessed via google maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116951202172870986454.00046421102d608bc34e4&ll=35.042927,-106.772518&spn=0.097537,0.154495&z=13). Although the latter murder occurred in 2000, it is interesting to note that she was found within two miles of the dig. Additionally, route-wise, paseo del volcan provides easy access to rio bravo blvd which turns into dennis chavez blvd, eventually intersecting with 118th. What is also notable in the Doe case is the age. The vic was 53. Given the age of the other vics, i cannot help to wonder if the 53 year old woman was someone's mama, hence the beginning of a career in murder? As for the other two unsolved homicides, I doubt they are related. However, I figured I would map them to see if they represented a viable connection. Anyway, just outloud thoughts and prolly an over-active imagination. So, pls, take what you want and heave the rest.

Kat
03-02-2009, 09:00 AM
That assault victim was lucky she got away. He only had $2 dollars in his wallet meaning he never intended to pay her and was going to kill her.

Thank you for digging up these articles. It gives us a snapshot of what most likely happened to the other victims.

SuziQ I read the articles again, I was under the impression that this assault victim S. Hill was strangled to death in his trailer. When he was taking her out to put her in a neighbors vehicle he was (He=L. Montoya) was seen by her BF and her BF then shot and killed L. Montoya. Did I miss a victim? TIA

Kat
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
While looking for that other case, I stumbled upon 3 additional unsolved homicides, of which one is a "Jane Doe." I've mapped the four locations which can be accessed via google maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116951202172870986454.00046421102d608bc34e4&ll=35.042927,-106.772518&spn=0.097537,0.154495&z=13). Although the latter murder occurred in 2000, it is interesting to note that she was found within two miles of the dig. Additionally, route-wise, paseo del volcan provides easy access to rio bravo blvd which turns into dennis chavez blvd, eventually intersecting with 118th. What is also notable in the Doe case is the age. The vic was 53. Given the age of the other vics, i cannot help to wonder if the 53 year old woman was someone's mama, hence the beginning of a career in murder? As for the other two unsolved homicides, I doubt they are related. However, I figured I would map them to see if they represented a viable connection. Anyway, just outloud thoughts and prolly an over-active imagination. So, pls, take what you want and heave the rest.

SW, I always deeply enjoy your posts. They are thought provoking and informative. Thank you for giving me an image of Albuquerque in my mind.

I also appreciate that you put that map up. I had done a google search and thought that the area you have pinpointed was the area of the dig because when you use the birdseye view google feature in that area you can see a large razed area.

I am now going to read the article that states the third victim has been identified. I have held off assuming all of the remains found were of the women of a certain trade that have been missing.

Kat
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Do we know the identity of the 3rd set of remains found? TIA!

Kat
03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Victims identified in Albuquerque NM
Identified Victim #1: Victoria Ann Chavez, 24, disappeared from Albuquerque, New Mexico on June 5, 2003. In February 2009, her skeletal remains were found at a construction site in the West Mesa area. (Info from Charleyproject.org)

Victoria is survived by two children.

Reported details about her grave: From msnbc article above – “Police said her remains were found intact in a grave 18 inches (46 centimeters) deep without clothing or any other items.”

Identified Victim #2: Michelle Gina Valdez, 22, disappeared from Albuquerque, New Mexico on September 22, 2004. In February 2009, her skeletal remains were found at a construction site in the West Mesa area. Valdez was pregnant at the time of her death and her fetus was found also. (Info from Charleyproject.org) Previously IDed by NM LE as Jane Doe #8

Identified Victim #3: Unborn fetus which belonged to Michelle Gina Valdez. Found with her body (some reports indicate the remains of the fetus were found within her remains).

Kat
03-02-2009, 11:41 AM
http://kob.com/article/stories/s789715.shtml?cat=516

snipped from article:

"Police said the bones Saturday were found nine feet below the surface--a sign they say of how much the earth on the West Mesa has been moved by construction crews."

and:

"Police said they will be on the mesa for weeks, if not months, before they know if they have found all the human remains."

believe09
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Identified Victim #1: Victoria Ann Chavez, 24, disappeared from Albuquerque, New Mexico on June 5, 2003. In February 2009, her skeletal remains were found at a construction site in the West Mesa area. (Info from Charleyproject.org)

Victoria is survived by two children.

Reported details about her grave: From msnbc article above – “Police said her remains were found intact in a grave 18 inches (46 centimeters) deep without clothing or any other items.”

Identified Victim #2: Michelle Gina Valdez, 22, disappeared from Albuquerque, New Mexico on September 22, 2004. In February 2009, her skeletal remains were found at a construction site in the West Mesa area. Valdez was pregnant at the time of her death and her fetus was found also. (Info from Charleyproject.org) Previously IDed by NM LE as Jane Doe #8

Identified Victim #3: Unborn fetus which belonged to Michelle Gina Valdez. Found with her body (some reports indicate the remains of the fetus were found within her remains).

Regarding the fetus-a first trimester child has enough cartilage or bone structure that they would have remains? I am wondering if there was more than bones found then....would any of the remains have been mummified by the dryness??

Kat
03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Regarding the fetus-a first trimester child has enough cartilage or bone structure that they would have remains? I am wondering if there was more than bones found then....would any of the remains have been mummified by the dryness??

Very good questions believe09. I haven't seen exactly how far along the Mother of this fetus was in gestation.

I did a brief search and I won't post links because I hope that someone who is knowledgeble will come and post facts on the development of a fetus.

From what I could glean the skeleton of a fetus may begin to develop as early as 10 weeks gestation. (first trimester)

By week 15 the bone and marrow may develop.

As for the other question, I too wondered if there might have been some mumification due to the elements there in NM of not only the adult victims but the fetus as well.

It will be interesting to learn if someone can post that information.

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Looks like Reynolds had a web site:

Alleged pimp's death brings clues
Updated: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 2:01 PM EST
Published : Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 2:01 PM EST
* Reporter: Michael Paluska
* Web Producer: Devon Armijo

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - The death of a suspected pimp has led Albuquerque Police Officers to what they're hoping is a big clue.

For years, APD detectives have been investigating the disappearances of a number of prostitutes in the metropolitan area. Now, detectives could be a step closer to learning where those missing women may be.

Fred Reynolds, 60, was named a person of interest in the disappearances of several missing prostitutes.

When he died suddenly on Jan. 2, police found pictures of three known prostitutes in his home. The word 'missing' was written underneath one of the pictures.

[...]

Detectives used Reynolds' website to identify some of his escorts.

Over the last year, the vice unit has arrested several of the women seen on the website.

[...]

Police said that Reynolds may be connected to the disappearances, but they will continue the investigation even if clues lead them in a different direction.

In 2002, Reynolds was charged with promoting prostitution, a fourth degree felony. The case was dismissed.

Police believe he died of natural causes.

Full article: click here (http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/national/west/nat_krqe_nm_alleged_pimps_death_brings_clues_20090 1112157557)

SuziQ
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
SuziQ I read the articles again, I was under the impression that this assault victim S. Hill was strangled to death in his trailer. When he was taking her out to put her in a neighbors vehicle he was (He=L. Montoya) was seen by her BF and her BF then shot and killed L. Montoya. Did I miss a victim? TIA

Here is the info on the one who got away.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:XdrTnjXBMC8J:www.abqtrib.com/news/2006/dec/19/shooting-victims-behavior-probed/+%22Lorenzo+Montoya%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

(snip)
That was in 1999. According to a criminal complaint, Montoya picked up the woman near Sun Port Boulevard.
She later told police that he forced her to perform oral sex, then slammed her against a seat and began choking her. A police car pulled up alongside, and the officer found Montoya wearing a condom and trying to pull off the woman's underwear, the complaint states.
No money changed hands, and Montoya's wallet was found to contain only $2. He was charged with criminal sexual penetration, attempted criminal sexual penetration and kidnapping, but later that year, the charges were dropped.

Kat
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Ty Suzi! :blowkiss: This character had quite a criminal history to say the least.

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
http://kob.com/article/stories/s789715.shtml?cat=516

snipped from article:

"Police said the bones Saturday were found nine feet below the surface--a sign they say of how much the earth on the West Mesa has been moved by construction crews."

and:

"Police said they will be on the mesa for weeks, if not months, before they know if they have found all the human remains."
Thanks for catching this crucial piece of info, Kat. The way the other article characterized the depth, it certainly appeared that some of the victims were buried 9 feet deep. In fact a local UNM associate professor referred to that bit of apparently erroneous info to support his contention that the killer's behavior deviated from your run of the mill serial killer.

SuziQ
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
While its really too early to know for certain, the fact that there are so many bodies in such a concentrated area, I'm not the least bit surprised they believe this is the work of one individual. Otoh, if they think these murders are related to the sex trade industry, it is possible there are multiple killers and the area is simply being used as a "body dump." Whatever the case may be, the burial, as described in this article (http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=6965497&page=3), is certainly interesting.

That sort of depth would take some serious digging. Esp on the mesa. That is, unless they had a back hoe. You know, what construction workers use when, oh idunno, clearing off an area for a new development, perhaps?

(respectfully snipped)
Very interesting thoughts. From various articles, the number of women missing that could be related has varied. One article stated 24. So it appears from the two years LE is working with, that could be a body a month. Commiting the act of murder, digging a grave once a month for two years seems very extreme even for a serial killer.

Your idea of an underground space certainly is interesting. Because while there haven't always been homes in the area, it appears to be a place you could see from quite a distance...for a mile even. You'd think someone would have noticed a backhoe or merely someone hanging out there that often. If he was doing this at night, wouldn't he need light?

Kat
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
The first victim was reported to have been buried in a very shallow grave. I think I posted it back on page one or two. Back when we were discussing if it was possible for it to have been a singular event.

The discovery of the second body and it's identification gave us enough information to know that the two women went missing in different years. I'm wondering about the other bodies discovered and the varying depths of their burial sites.

Hopefully, LE will keep giving us information.

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 03:45 PM
While I could be completely wrong, I am somewhat skeptical that Montoya was the killer. From the articles posted, it appears that he lived in the NE heights and only lived on the mesa from January of 2005, at the earliest, until his death in December 2006. His 2005 NE heights residence places him just a bit east of the red light district (which, iirc, is the east central area between Louisana and Wyoming Blvds). The alleged pimp otoh, specifically his website, is interesting. Esp considering that, the missing, possibly deceased, may have met their killer online. Am trying to track that bit down right now.

shadowraiths
03-02-2009, 03:55 PM
(respectfully snipped)
Very interesting thoughts. From various articles, the number of women missing that could be related has varied. One article stated 24. So it appears from the two years LE is working with, that could be a body a month. Commiting the act of murder, digging a grave once a month for two years seems very extreme even for a serial killer.

Your idea of an underground space certainly is interesting. Because while there haven't always been homes in the area, it appears to be a place you could see from quite a distance...for a mile even. You'd think someone would have noticed a backhoe or merely someone hanging out there that often. If he was doing this at night, wouldn't he need light?
Don't think they would necessarily need a light, dep upon the time of month. The mesa can be pretty well lit up by moonlight alone. And that area would be arguably far enough away from residents during that period.

Aside, the article posted today about the site is rather interesting...

The president of the neighborhood association closest to the site there the bodies of 13 people, including a fetus, have been recovered says he’s not surprised to hear the victims may have been prostitutes.

“We’ve actually caught grown ups out here trying to have sex with women that look like prostitutes,” said Salih Rahman, president of the Sierra ranch Neighborhood Association.

“So [when] they talk about some of these women were prostitutes, it kind of rang familiar to me because we’ve seen it,” he added.

Full article: click here (http://kob.com/article/stories/S812096.shtml?cat=516)

And of course, the ole antenna goes up when someone oopses upon a bone that may be human, across from the dig site.

Across the street from the West Mesa dig site where 13 bodies have already been discovered another bone was discovered Sunday.

Albuquerque police are now trying to figure out if it is linked to their massive investigation.

Officers said a man walking along the sidewalk near Dennis Chavez and 118th Street noticed something white underneath some bushes and alerted police.
Full article: click here (http://kob.com/article/stories/S811583.shtml?cat=516)

Esp considering that area is not where people would generally take a Sunday afternoon stroll. Then again, he may have been a lookie-loo.

Kat
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Some updates on the case, just points of interest:

http://www.koat.com/news/18838544/detail.html

From above link:

New Technology Used In West Mesa Investigation
"A company from Denver is using its latest product, Inspector 07, to help in the massive investigation.

The device is similar to ground-penetrating radar already being used, but it's smaller and some say it's more efficient.

As of Monday evening, Gene Mercer has found at least three targets on the West Mesa using Inspector 07."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jEQrHFS2Rc_0uKM8CVFtO8JNKRiQD96M4IKG0

From link above:

"Police believe one person or group of people is responsible for the slayings, but they have been reluctant to make comparisons to any existing serial murder cases.

"We don't want to limit our investigation," Police Chief Ray Schultz said, calling the scene "one of the largest and most complex" ever investigated by his department.

So far, only two sets of remains have been identified. But detectives are reviewing cases involving dozens of women who vanished from the city over the last two decades. All of them were suspected of being drug addicts and prostitutes. Of particular interest are 16 women reported missing between 2001 and 2006."

Kat
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I thought this was interesting. It may or may not be connected with this case.

http://www.koat.com/news/18858904/detail.html

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Two bodies on the West Mesa near Belen were unearthed by Valencia County deputies, they said.

Sky 7 captured investigators searching through the area off Highway 548 Wednesday afternoon.

Crews said they first found a skull, then more bones and late Wednesday night they discovered a second partial skeleton.

Deputies said they don't know how long the remains may have been buried there or whether they could be related to any ongoing criminal cases.

They said they will continue digging for more bones Thursday."

MeoW333
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Two bodies on the West Mesa near Belen were unearthed by Valencia County deputies, they said.

Sky 7 captured investigators searching through the area off Highway 548 Wednesday afternoon.

Crews said they first found a skull, then more bones and late Wednesday night they discovered a second partial skeleton.

Deputies said they don't know how long the remains may have been buried there or whether they could be related to any ongoing criminal cases.

It wouldn't be uncommon for a serial killer to have several dumping grounds.

hoppyfrog
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/18840006/detail.html

2 March 09

Doreen Marquez was 27 years old when her family and friends put up posters all over the area.

Those who knew Marquez the best said the mother of two got wrapped up in a dangerous life of drugs and prostitution when she disappeared.

more at link

hoppyfrog
03-05-2009, 06:58 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/18849640/detail.html

4 March 09

In the meantime, so many families of missing women said they are in agony and wonder if their loved ones wound up among the buried bodies.

That was the case for Cinnamon Elk's family.

Elk's mother Diana, who didn't want to give her last name, said "This is a nightmare."

Diana said her daughter, Cinnamon, was a perfect child.

"That's how I remember her," Diana said. "That's what I want."

But in her teenage years, she took the wrong path.

"My daughter probably has a rap sheet as long as her arm," Diana said.

She fell into a life of drugs and crime and missed out on raising her own two children.

"This is not what I brought up my daughter to be," Diana said.

Then, the summer of 2004 came.

"She did not call me for my birthday. She always called," Diana said.

Weeks turned to months with no word. In December 2004, Elk's mother filed a police report.

One of the only significant developments she said she received several calls from people she did not know and they left her with a chilling message about her daughter.

"That it was for sure that she was dead," Diana said. "I don't want to go into the gruesome details."

Now Diana said she is focused on the crime scene where police have unearthed 13 bodies.

much more at link

SuziQ
03-05-2009, 10:07 PM

What kind of crew are they talking about? Garbage, construction, or Law enforcement? Was the skull stumbled upon then a search activated? Or was LE there because of some info then a skull was found?

SuziQ
03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
It wouldn't be uncommon for a serial killer to have several dumping grounds.

I watched a video of a neighbor who said she wasn't buying LE's assertion that there wasn't a serial killer out there since the burials stopped years before. Her theory was that as houses were being built and encroached on his dump site that he changed locations and might still be killing. She made a good point.

Kat
03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
What kind of crew are they talking about? Garbage, construction, or Law enforcement? Was the skull stumbled upon then a search activated? Or was LE there because of some info then a skull was found?

That's the only article I found SuziQ. I haven't looked tonight for updates. I looked on the google map for Belen and Albuquerque and they are only about 30 or so miles apart, connected by a road (Hwy?).

Kat
03-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Edit to add: I quoted the wrong post sorry. I meant to quote the clip of the neighbor that gave a very interesting theory. In my mind it was interesting. Makes me wonder when those houses were built?

shadowraiths
03-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Rio Puerco bones a
historic mystery
Skeletons may be Native American
Updated: Thursday, 05 Mar 2009, 6:21 PM MST
Published : Thursday, 05 Mar 2009, 2:34 PM MST

BELEN, N.M. (KRQE) - If two skeletons found in Valencia County Wednesday are the remains of crime victims, the killer escaped a century or two ago.

The state Office of the Medical Investigator determined the bones discovered by a man hunting arrowheads could be up to 300 years old.
Full article: click here (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_belen_rio_puerco_bones_a_historic_myste ry_200903051815)

Kat
03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Rio Puerco bones a
historic mystery
Skeletons may be Native American
Updated: Thursday, 05 Mar 2009, 6:21 PM MST
Published : Thursday, 05 Mar 2009, 2:34 PM MST

Full article: click here (http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_belen_rio_puerco_bones_a_historic_myste ry_200903051815)

Thank you SW. Very interesting. I'm glad they weren't connected.

Kat
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Very little else at link below: With the exception of a video that I have not viewed.

http://www.koat.com/news/18867834/detail.html

Police Answer Questions About West Mesa Mystery

"Since the story of bones found on the West Mesa broke, the media has been the pipeline of communication between the Albuquerque Police Department and concerned residents living nearby.

In a public forum Thursday night, residents asked police their own questions for the first time. APD revealed the dig should continue for at least two more weeks. Many residents were concerned the digging would move into their backyards, but Westside police Cmd. Conrad Candelaria said that won't happen.

"I've been given the assurance from other commanders who are involved that the likelihood of that is zero to none," said Candelaria."

Kat
03-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Just bumping this so it doesn't get to far back in the pages. I suppose we can't expect updates on the victims for quite a while because they are using DNA to ID.

Here are two women that have families anticipating the ID's:

http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg/LocalNews/story.aspx?ID=1069537

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_canadian_mom_searching_for_ daughter_in_west_mesa_200903082056

My heart and prayers go out to the missing women's families, so many with no answers as of yet.

Ruflossn
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Below is a great link to a website that is devoted to the Mesa murders.

http://www.mesamystery.com/

Mesa Mystery

Albuquerque's Largest Crime Scene in History Involves 13 Bodies discovered on Amole Mesa. The digging and investigation continue. This site hopes to chronicle the stories that are developing out of this investigation

Kat
03-11-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.necn.com/Boston/Nation/2009/03/11/Police-ID-another-mass-grave/1236780360.html

Video and article at link above:

snipped from article:

" More than 10 days have passed since police unearthed any bones at a mass grave in West Mesa, New Mexico, where they pulled 13 bodies from the ground so far. But, we have now learned the identity of another victim -- a young woman who disappeared four years ago, who has a similar past to two others who were killed and dumped at Albuquerque's largest crime scene ever.

Diana Wilhelm received the news she's been dreading. Detectives told her that dental records confirm a set of remains found are those of Cinnamon Elks.

Elks was a mother of two and addicted to drugs.

Wilhelm says her daughter would go away for long lengths of time, but she'd always come back -- until the summer of 2004."

Cinnamon's flier (has not been updated yet)

http://www.nampn.org/cases/elks_cinnamon.html

Kat
03-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Identified Victim #4: Cinnamon Elks disappeared on August 20, 2004.

Kat
03-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the dozen women. I went through the profiles at The Charley Project and found 8 that specifically refer to the dozen missing. I double checked but still may have missed some that have that reference.

Cinnamon Elks (http://charleyproject.org/cases/e/elks_cinnamon.html)

Virginia Ann Cloven (http://charleyproject.org/cases/c/cloven_virginia.html)

Felipa Gonzales (http://charleyproject.org/cases/g/gonzales_felipa.html)

Anselma Guerra (http://charleyproject.org/cases/g/guerra_anselma.html)

Nina Brenda Herron (http://charleyproject.org/cases/h/herron_nina.html)

Julie Cyndie Nieto (http://charleyproject.org/cases/n/nieto_julie.html)

Anna Vigil (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/vigil_anna.html)

Shawntell Waites (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/waites_shawntell.html)

I wonder if any of the others are going to be found with Cinnamon? Good work Suzi!

SuziQ
03-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I wonder if any of the others are going to be found with Cinnamon? Good work Suzi!

Thanks Kat. And thank you for all the info you have found. I bet LE knows who most of these women are. They just need to hunt down dental records.

ella's mom
03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
If you look back at the Cinnamon Elks Missing Person flier, it states the following:

"Cinnamon was reported missing by her roommate. Her mother states she received three calls from unknown persons stating that Elks was killed in November 2004."

I think the three phone calls are key here. I wonder if her mother contacted the police each time she received the calls. Did she have caller ID, was it a man or woman?, what exactly was stated in the phone calls, etc.

I need to look at the posters for the others, but does anyone know if phone calls were received by any of the others missing person's families?

ella's mom
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
In the article below (thanks to HoppyFrog) it states that:

One of the only significant developments she (Cinnamon's Mom) said she received several calls from people she did not know and they left her with a chilling message about her daughter.

"That it was for sure that she was dead," Diana said. "I don't want to go into the gruesome details."

http://www.koat.com/news/18849640/detail.html

Unfortunately, I think the gruesome details are going to be significant here. Did the caller take responsibility for the crime, did they say why she was murdered, where or how, or did the caller see her get murdered? Like I said in my last post, I think the calls are going to be a key factor in solving this case.

Kat
03-11-2009, 05:53 PM
No Ella's Mom I don't know off hand if other families received calls. That is interesting and caught my eye too.

ella's mom
03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
No Ella's Mom I don't know off hand if other families received calls. That is interesting and caught my eye too.

Well that will be my homework for the evening. I think we will find some of the other missing one's at that site. Also, I agree with SuziQ. I think LE knows who most of them are and just need the medical/forensic proof before announcing.

Donjeta
03-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Julie Nieto has also been identified.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/nieto_julie.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508943,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

Kat
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
TY Donjeta. 4 out of the 13 (one being a fetus) disappeared in 2003-2004 so far.

Victoria Ann Chavez, June 5, 2003.
Michelle Gina Valdez, September 22, 2004.
Cinnamon Elks, August 20, 2004.
Julie Neito, July 15, 2004

That's a very close timeframe so far.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think this article has been posted yet.

http://www.koat.com/news/18911658/detail.html

As the crime scene unfolded and got bigger, Ortiz said it dawned on her that a childhood friend, Doreen Marquez, could be among those found.

A flier made years ago said Marquez disappeared in October 2003, leaving behind her two children.

"I heard she was hanging out with the wrong crowd," said Ortiz said.

Another common thread between the women identified so far, according to police, is that some may have known each other and Ortiz said Marquez knew Victoria Chavez.

Do we know of any other connections of the missing in which these women knew eachother. I am going to assume many did, due to ther lifestyle, but is there any documentation?

I keep seeing it mentioned that 16 women are missing between 2001-2006. Does anyone have the list that shows the 16 women that are missing?

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry I found it. Great article with a great list to refer to.

http://crimeshadowsnews.com/main/2009/03/02/realm-of-darkness-the-missing-and-the-dead/

Below is a list of women who have disappeared from the Albuquerque area since 2001:
Darlene Marie Trujillo (http://www.nampn.org/cases/trujillo_darlene.html) missing since July 2001
Sonia Bernadette Lente (http://www.nampn.org/cases/lente_sonia.html) missing since October 2002
Monica Diana Candelarie (http://www.nampn.org/cases/candelaria_monica.html) missing since May 2003
Brenda Jeen Apalicio (http://www.nampn.org/cases/apalicio_brenda.html) missing since May 2003
Christine Julian (http://www.nampn.org/cases/julian_christine.html) missing since April 2003
Doreen Marquez (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/marquez_doreen.html) missing since October 2003
Anselma Guerra (http://www.nampn.org/cases/guerra_anselma.html) missing since 2004
Veronica Romero (http://www.koat.com/news/18820598/detail.html) missing since 2004
Virginia Ann Cloven (http://www.nampn.org/cases/cloven_virginia.html) missing since April 2004
Evelyn Jesus-Maria Salazar (http://www.nampn.org/cases/salazar_evelyn.html) missing since March 2004
Jamie Caterina Barela (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barela_jamie.html) missing since March 2004
Julie Cyndie Nieto (http://www.nampn.org/cases/nieto_julie.html) missing since July 15, 2004
Cinnamon Elks (http://www.nampn.org/cases/elks_cinnamon.html) missing since August 2004
Felipa Gonzales (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gonzales_felipa.html) missing since 2005
Anna Vigil (http://www.nampn.org/cases/vigil_anna.html) missing since January 2005
Nina Herron (http://www.nampn.org/cases/herron_nina.html) missing since May 2005
Shawntell Waites (http://www.nampn.org/cases/waites_shawntell.html) missing since 2006
Leah Rachel Peebles (http://www.nampn.org/cases/peebles_leah_r.html) missing since May 2006
Brittney Jaramillo (http://www.nampn.org/cases/jaramillo_brittney.html) missing since October 2007

Not sure why Victoria Ann Chavez or Michelle Gina Valdez were not on this list. I know some of the more recent Missing may not be part of the group, but wanted to include all of them from the article.

Kat
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Ty Elle's Mom, I am curious to see the timeline of disappearances as the ID's are made. We have 13 victims. 12 adults and one fetus.

I'm just rambling here with thoughts, not going anywhere in particular with it...

4 victims IDed.

2 not on the list (Chavez and Valdez) 2 were on the list Neito and Elks. That leaves us 8 UnIDed.

Looking on the list from 2003 to 2004 (time frame of other disappearances) there are 11 listed as missing from that time frame. I will be interested to see if any of the victims on that list are also IDed.

My homework for this weekend: Start a doc on the stats of these women. I want to see if they fit a body type or type. As the victims are IDed and it proves that all had a history of drug use/prostitution that would need to be looked at because it raises their risk levels. It makes them high risk to being victims of crimes because of associations.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Kat

I went through each of the missing posters to see if there is some sort of link between any of them. As I am sure you know, the posters are very vague in the details and I am finding descrepancies. Here is what I have so far:

Darlene Marie Trujillo - listed as missing since 2001. However the Details of Disappearence section states that she was last seen on July 4, 2004.

Sonjia Bernadette Lente, Monica Diana Candelarie and Veronica Romero were all last seen off of Central Avenue. (Since posting this earlier, I realize this may not be as significant as I first thought. The intersection of Wyoming and Central Avenue is well known for prostitution).

Cinnamon Elks mother received several phone calls stating that her daughter was murdered on November 2004.

Virginia Ann Cloven's Dad states that she was last seen in April 2004, but 2 months later he received a phone call from her that said she had a new boyfriend. (At this point, I don't know the details of the call. Was it on an answering machine or did he actually speak to her? Is it possible it wasn't really her?)

In the article attached to Veronica Romero, her cousin states that she knew Michelle Valdez and Victoria Chavez (so could be possible that Romero did too).

In the article I posted yesterday, it states that missing person Doreen Marquez and Victoria Chavez knew eachother.

So....I don't know what all of the above means yet, but thats what I am putting together so far. Might mean something, might not.

Hope it's helpful.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Snipped for space...

Looking on the list from 2003 to 2004 (time frame of other disappearances) there are 11 listed as missing from that time frame. I will be interested to see if any of the victims on that list are also IDed.

Add Darlene Marie Trujillo (tenatively) to your 2003-2004 list. Her missing person poster shows last seen as both 2001 and 2004. I am not sure which is correct yet.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/18884046/detail.html

....At the time, Candelaria's family said it did everything in its power to find her. It even searched on the West Mesa.

"Somebody had mentioned to the family she might be up there; they might have murdered her and she might be up there," Romero said

So again, we have information that the family was told the missing person was murdered (similar to Cinnamon Elk's case with the phone calls). The question is who told them? Who are "they"? Was it a friend that knows something? Was someone bragging about the events?

Sorry to be the lone poster here on this thread, but I think I have become obsessed with this case.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Me Again

Take a look at some of the comments posted at the end of this article by Just Me. Keep in mind, those comments were made prior to Michelle and Cinnamon being found.

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kob-new-mexico/TMGFEQGK53DMEM4UG

cynsational
03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Ella's Mom: "Sorry to be the lone poster here on this thread, but I think I have become obsessed with this case."

Don't be, Mom. You may be the lone poster BUT you are not the lone reader. Your posts are appreciated!

SuziQ
03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Me Again

Take a look at some of the comments posted at the end of this article by Just Me. Keep in mind, those comments were made prior to Michelle and Cinnamon being found.

Interesting comments. I hope that person has gone to LE.

It also seems like someone was trying to tell the families something for awhile.

Kat
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
You're not alone in your interest in this case Ella's Mom, your input is appreciated very much.

There are quite a few that are watching this case every day.

I hope that the poster that posted on that article is valid and not stringing family members along. I would love to hear what information that could be shared with us, without compromising the investigation.

Ruflossn
03-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Another article about Lorenzo Montoya.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S829737.shtml

Co-workers suspect man in Mesa body mystery

Kat
03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
TY Ruflossn.

Montoya has been forefront in my mind since reading about him in the beginning.

His ex-co-workers had some very interesting details to share about him. Of course, it's heresay but it's very interesting heresay.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know when Darlene actually went missing? All reports I have seen give either 2001 or 2004.

I have seen family members and/or friends of some of the missing on other threads. Hopefully someone can clear this up. Not sure if they read here or not (but would love for them to join the discussion - hint, hint).

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
TY Ruflossn.

His ex-co-workers had some very interesting details to share about him. Of course, it's heresay but it's very interesting heresay.

I agree Kat. Don't forget about the Pimp that passed away too. Also, as I have been researching this case, I have seen many allude to the fact that it could be a cop as well.

In my opinion all three scenarios could fit (they could also be picked apart).

1) Lorenzo Montoya - Per witness accounts (hearsay) hates women. Obvious history of violence towards prostitutes. Lives 1 1/2 miles (I think that's what I read) from burial site. Decrease in disappearence of prostitutes since his death.

2) Fred Reynolds (Pimp) - Possible access to all missing women due to lifestyle. Photos of some of the missing found in his home after his death.

3) LE - All of the identified women have arrest records. Many of the remaining missing do as well, which obviously means they have crossed paths with LE on at least one occasion, if not many. It would also be very convienient to point a finger at two dead men and say "case closed."

Ruflossn
03-12-2009, 11:01 PM
TY Ruflossn.

I thought the same thing about the co-workers.
They all seemed to have the same opinion.
I wonder if there is DNA available from Montoya that could be compared to DNA that might have been found on the victims.

ella's mom
03-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I thought the same thing about the co-workers.
They all seemed to have the same opinion.
I wonder if there is DNA available from Montoya that could be compared to DNA that might have been found on the victims.

I don't think there will be any DNA due to the amount of time the bodies have been there. It sounds like it is just bones and much of them have been scattered.

Ruflossn
03-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't think there will be any DNA due to the amount of time the bodies have been there. It sounds like it is just bones and much of them have been scattered.

Yes, that is probably correct. In fact, I think that has been discussed b4. I just keep hoping that maybe forensics will find something under the nailbeds or on the clothing.......... but, time and the elements will prove to be a hindrance.

:mad:

Bud
03-13-2009, 03:57 AM

http://crimeshadowsnews.com/main/2009/03/02/realm-of-darkness-the-missing-and-the-dead/

Below is a list of women who have disappeared from the Albuquerque area since 2001:
Darlene Marie Trujillo (http://www.nampn.org/cases/trujillo_darlene.html) missing since July 2001
Sonia Bernadette Lente (http://www.nampn.org/cases/lente_sonia.html) missing since October 2002 <---
Monica Diana Candelarie (http://www.nampn.org/cases/candelaria_monica.html) missing since May 2003
Brenda Jeen Apalicio (http://www.nampn.org/cases/apalicio_brenda.html) missing since May 2003
Christine Julian (http://www.nampn.org/cases/julian_christine.html) missing since April 2003
Doreen Marquez (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/marquez_doreen.html) missing since October 2003
Anselma Guerra (http://www.nampn.org/cases/guerra_anselma.html) missing since 2004
Veronica Romero (http://www.koat.com/news/18820598/detail.html) missing since 2004
Virginia Ann Cloven (http://www.nampn.org/cases/cloven_virginia.html) missing since April 2004
Evelyn Jesus-Maria Salazar (http://www.nampn.org/cases/salazar_evelyn.html) missing since March 2004
Jamie Caterina Barela (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barela_jamie.html) missing since March 2004
Julie Cyndie Nieto (http://www.nampn.org/cases/nieto_julie.html) missing since July 15, 2004
Cinnamon Elks (http://www.nampn.org/cases/elks_cinnamon.html) missing since August 2004
Felipa Gonzales (http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gonzales_felipa.html) missing since 2005
Anna Vigil (http://www.nampn.org/cases/vigil_anna.html) missing since January 2005
Nina Herron (http://www.nampn.org/cases/herron_nina.html) missing since May 2005
Shawntell Waites (http://www.nampn.org/cases/waites_shawntell.html) missing since 2006
Leah Rachel Peebles (http://www.nampn.org/cases/peebles_leah_r.html) missing since May 2006
Brittney Jaramillo (http://www.nampn.org/cases/jaramillo_brittney.html) missing since October 2007

Not sure why Victoria Ann Chavez or Michelle Gina Valdez were not on this list. I know some of the more recent Missing may not be part of the group, but wanted to include all of them from the article.

....At the time, Candelaria's family said it did everything in its power to find her. It even searched on the West Mesa.

"Somebody had mentioned to the family she might be up there; they might have murdered her and she might be up there," Romero said

So again, we have information that the family was told the missing person was murdered (similar to Cinnamon Elk's case with the phone calls). The question is who told them? Who are "they"? Was it a friend that knows something? Was someone bragging about the events?

Sorry to be the lone poster here on this thread, but I think I have become obsessed with this case.

Hi Me Again

Interesting comments. I hope that person has gone to LE.

It also seems like someone was trying to tell the families something for awhile.

Someone mentioned that a 'Just Me' was commenting in this story on Topix:

Here's one of his/her posts from Wednesday February 18th, 2009:

Just Me wrote - "I do know these individuals and others that may have info, I would perfer not to email cause it then makes me known. I will share my info with other law enforcement officers. I also suspect that one of the other individuals burried will be identified as a Sonya (don't recall last name but will research it). Give me anoter way to contact you without me being exposed. This is honest info as I know it and I believe it to be creditable."

** There is a Sonia Bernadette Lente missing and included in the list posted above by Ella's Mom. If the person was writing this from a compiled list or news story... it seems they would have spelled her name correctly **

Perhaps he/she heard someone else state the name and simply spelled it based on how it sounded.

- - - - - - - - - -

Don't know if anyone noted this, so thought I'd chime in. It appears there is someone out there who knows what happened to many of these women. If Montoya was responsible for these deaths, what is the likelihood he told someone else? Why would that person still be afraid to come forward since Montoya (and the pimp... assuming he murdered them) are dead?

It seems someone could obtain the IP address of 'Just Me' and ask them to spill their guts concerning these women.

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Sonia Bernadette Lente (http://www.nampn.org/cases/lente_sonia.html) missing since October 2002

If Brittney Jaramillo is among the deceased then that rules out Montoya since he was killed in December 2006 (http://tinyurl.com/d9tcdm).

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 05:34 AM

More importantly, how did they know the families numbers to call in the first place?

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Okay, I know people are following what "just me" from Albuquerque is saying but i find what this poster (http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kob-new-mexico/TMGFEQGK53DMEM4UG#c16) has to say equally curious.

say, auntie, no say, this is pure crimminal, you or anyone else is not a good opponent or foe or the answers to the the problem. This is real, the deal, you or me could be cut down within moments of making a phone-call or asking USA citizen for help. Don't go there!
Their isp shows they're originating from Cedar Crest, which is east of Albuquerque, in the Sandia Mountain's Tijeras Canyon area. That area is at least a half hour drive from Albuquerque. In any event, I cannot help but to wonder if this "skinwalker" individual knows as much, if not more than "just me" from Albuquerque. Regardless of how you look at it, and in context of those topix posts, it sure is starting to sound like the killings were the result of some sort of organized crime ring as opposed to a lone serial killer. Btw, and as an aside, I found their choice of nyms intriguing as well. Very few, outside of Native Americans, know what a skinwalker is.

Bud
03-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Okay, I know people are following what "just me" from Albuquerque is saying but i find what this poster (http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kob-new-mexico/TMGFEQGK53DMEM4UG#c16) has to say equally curious.

Their isp shows they're originating from Cedar Crest, which is east of Albuquerque, in the Sandia Mountain's Tijeras Canyon area. That area is at least a half hour drive from Albuquerque. In any event, I cannot help but to wonder if this "skinwalker" individual knows as much, if not more than "just me" from Albuquerque. Regardless of how you look at it, and in context of those topix posts, it sure is starting to sound like the killings were the result of some sort of organized crime ring as opposed to a lone serial killer. Btw, and as an aside, I found their choice of nyms intriguing as well. Very few, outside of Native Americans, know what a skinwalker is.

I thought the same thing.

He/she was getting awfully aggressive toward 'Aunt M'. He/she shows up in other discussion on Topix concerning this subject: http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kob-new-mexico/TJVLCLANV1ROAB9HT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
I thought the same thing.

He/she was getting awfully aggressive toward 'Aunt M'. He/she shows up in other discussion on Topix concerning this subject: http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kob-new-mexico/TJVLCLANV1ROAB9HT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker
Thanks for that pointer, Bud! And just to save time, here is a link to skinwalker's posts: click here (http://www.topix.net/member/profile/skinwalker)

Off to read them now.

ella's mom
03-13-2009, 06:25 AM
** There is a Sonia Bernadette Lente missing and included in the list posted above by Ella's Mom. If the person was writing this from a compiled list or news story... it seems they would have spelled her name correctly **

Perhaps he/she heard someone else state the name and simply spelled it based on how it sounded.

- - - - - - - - - -

Good catch Bud. I missed that.

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Hmmm, interesting. From my read, "Just Me" must be a UNMH employee to know that "Cinammon Elks was very badly beaten." Additionally, this skinwalker appears to be a psychatric nurse at the Bernalillo County Jail who has an extremely low opinion of the APD. With this in mind, I am guessing both of these individuals may very well have come in contact with the victims. And based upon skinwalker's comments regarding Montoya, who wants to bet that they think there's some sort coverup (i.e., LE pointing to two dead people as the most likely suspects)? Which would be congruent with this skinwalker's view that a simple phone call could get people killed.

ella's mom
03-13-2009, 06:41 AM

I am with you. Lorenzo is off my list for these crimes. I am leaning toward pimps/gangs/LE. Too many people seem to know something and are scared to death to talk.

Blackwatch
03-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Forgive me, please, for butting in here, but many people know what a skinwalker is, general public included since the book about Skinwalker Ranch. Also, there is a LARGE paranormal culture out there, the same as a true crime culture here. Actually, now that I think back, Castanada introduced the subject many long moons ago.

Edited to add: Sometimes, not saying here, but crime and paranormal often go hand in hand. Remember all those bodies back a few years ago, near Mexico border, that had been chopped up, and boiled in a supernatural rite? Sorry, can't remember the name right now or all the details, but this sort of thing may be more prevelant than people are willing to understand. Don't mind me, sometimes I see a dogman behind every tree - especially if you live in Wisconsin.

Kat
03-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Such interesting posts in the last few hours. I'll be reading for a while. There was also mention of "cubans" in those posts by locals. A gang? I haven't sorted through or filtered through all of the posts yet, here and there.

I agree, that there very well could be a coverup. It could be co-incedental that the POI that LE had named is deceased, but it "feels" to convienent.

ella's mom
03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Forgive me, please, for butting in here, but many people know what a skinwalker is, general public included since the book about Skinwalker Ranch. Also, there is a LARGE paranormal culture out there, the same as a true crime culture here. Actually, now that I think back, Castanada introduced the subject many long moons ago.

Call me naive, but I had no idea what a "skinwalker" was and was thankful for Bud providing the definition. I am intrigued now. I think I will need to look at the book now.

Kat
03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Call me naive, but I had no idea what a "skinwalker" was and was thankful for Bud providing the definition. I am intrigued now. I think I will need to look at the book now.

I didn't know what skinwalker meant either. Perhaps it would be better known in that particular region. It would be understandable that it might be well known in that region given the demographics.

Interesting choice for a screenname. Just interesting though, I don't read anything into it.

I have never read any of Castaneda's books. Although I have met many that have, paranormal is not something that I find interesting. But that's just me. I never have given the legend of the Chupa Cabra much deep thought either.

ella's mom
03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like this topic should be moved from "Crimes in the News"? This is not about a crime that was just committed. In my opinion this is about 16 women that have been missing for many years and now the possibility of identiying them. Sooo....shouldn't this either be in the Missing/Located Discussion forum or the Unidentified forum? I also think we may get a little more participation if it is moved.

Personally, I very rarely look at the "Crimes in the News" section. I spend all of my time in the Missing section. I found this topic when I was looking at Jessie's (Foster) case. I remained on this topic, because I have always followed the missing women from New Mexico.

JMO, of course.

ella's mom
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Nice interview with Cinnamon Elk's mother. The video also contains some nice pictures of her. She was a very pretty girl.

http://www.necn.com/Boston/Nation/2009/03/11/Police-ID-another-mass-grave/1236780360.html

Kat
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes she was a very pretty girl. None of the girls deserved to be murdered and tossed out on the Mesa like that. Prayers of healing and hope for their families.

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Remember all those bodies back a few years ago, near Mexico border, that had been chopped up, and boiled in a supernatural rite? Sorry, can't remember the name right now or all the details
Are you talking about the case of Adolfo de Jesus Constanzo of Matamoros, Mexico, the "drug lord" of a small drug operation and practitioner of Palo Mayobme, who boiled his victims' remains in a Nanga? If so, crime library has an article that goes into the specifics of that case (click here (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/weird/constanzo/1.html)), which would not have been solved, had his drug runners not kidnapped then University of Texas student, Mark Kilroy.

Donjeta
03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm a bit surprised that people aren't more interested in a case that involves at least 13 victims, and I worry that it's because they read "involved in drugs and prostitution" and just shrug as if it makes it all right. I mean, 13 victims is HUGE. It's a serial killer, it's a massacre. But who cares if the victims are drug abusing prostitutes?

Their loved ones, for one. We've heard from mothers, sisters, cousins and children who are just as much grieved and upset as if the victims had been college girls with a bright future in law school ahead of them.

Bud
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM

I didn't know what skinwalker meant either. Perhaps it would be better known in that particular region. It would be understandable that it might be well known in that region given the demographics.

Interesting choice for a screenname. Just interesting though, I don't read anything into it.

I have never read any of Castaneda's books. Although I have met many that have, paranormal is not something that I find interesting. But that's just me. I never have given the legend of the Chupa Cabra much deep thought either.

I, too had never heard the term... skinwalker. I'd always heard the term shapeshifter.

Bud
03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like this topic should be moved from "Crimes in the News"? This is not about a crime that was just committed. In my opinion this is about 16 women that have been missing for many years and now the possibility of identiying them. Sooo....shouldn't this either be in the Missing/Located Discussion forum or the Unidentified forum? I also think we may get a little more participation if it is moved.

Personally, I very rarely look at the "Crimes in the News" section. I spend all of my time in the Missing section. I found this topic when I was looking at Jessie's (Foster) case. I remained on this topic, because I have always followed the missing women from New Mexico.

JMO, of course.

I'm a bit surprised that people aren't more interested in a case that involves at least 13 victims, and I worry that it's because they read "involved in drugs and prostitution" and just shrug as if it makes it all right. I mean, 13 victims is HUGE. It's a serial killer, it's a massacre. But who cares if the victims are drug abusing prostitutes?

Their loved ones, for one. We've heard from mothers, sisters, cousins and children who are just as much grieved and upset as if the victims had been college girls with a bright future in law school ahead of them.

As Ella's Mom stated... it may simply be the forum in which this is posted. There are many threads on this site that deal with the dead/missing who led, what some would consider, 'unsavory' lives. I've never noticed such threads going 'cold' or lacking in attention because of that.

Blackwatch
03-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Are you talking about the case of Adolfo de Jesus Constanzo of Matamoros, Mexico, the "drug lord" of a small drug operation and practitioner of Palo Mayobme, who boiled his victims' remains in a Nanga? If so, crime library has an article that goes into the specifics of that case (click here (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/weird/constanzo/1.html)), which would not have been solved, had his drug runners not kidnapped then University of Texas student, Mark Kilroy.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of, thank you. I'll read the link in a little while, if I remember correctly, it was both horrifying and very interesting.

shadowraiths
03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
But who cares if the victims are drug abusing prostitutes?
I, for one, do. Care, that is. Furthermore, imo, their lifestyle only matters to the extent it can help to identify the perp (or perps, as the case may be).

Nonetheless, I also agree that there is a seeming lack of interest in this tragic case. And I am not speaking with regard to the low participation on this thread. After all, there are numerous cases going on at any one time on this forum, so interests tend to be split between co-occurring cases.

What I personally found to be troubling was lack of interest when I mentioned the case to a few close friends from the area while trying to locate information about Reynold's website. I guess I expected locals to be more interested.

While this lack of interest may in part be due to the APD's announcement that the most likely suspects are deceased and there is no serial killer running around the streets of Albuquerque, I would proffer the reported lifestyle has more to do with the disinterested response.

Something to the effect of, "joe-serial-killer is just going after prostitutes, so we're safe." You know, the, "that happens to other people" syndrome.

ella's mom
03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I agree. I would think a case like this would get more discussion. I don't think it has anything to do with lifestyles though. I don't know any long time websleuth members that discriminate due to lifestyle, lifestyle choices, race, etc.

As for new members that might be drawn to the boards, I think there is a lack of media coverage on this. It may be getting coverage in western US, but it isn't in the east. I am in Michigan and our news has not covered this at all. No one I have talked to has heard of the missing girls or the current situation. I know about these cases, because I have followed them over the years.

I really think if if got moved, it might be easier to find. Can anyone tell me how I go about having it moved?

Fairy1
03-13-2009, 11:37 PM

I care! Don't post on this case, but I follow it everyday. I have seen all of these possible victims in my searches for the missing and I cannot believe LE hasn't done more to put it all together before now.

As the victims are ID'd, it's very clear that they all have families who loved them and have been searching or waiting for them to come home. Beautiful women who lost their way but were loved and have been missed.

I sincerely hope their killer will be brought to justice. It's obvious that there are people out there who MAY know what happened to them. The nation is watching and I have to believe there will be justice!

hoppyfrog
03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/18919786/detail.html

13 March 09

The mother of Monica Candelaria said her daughter fits the description of other women identified as being buried at the site.

She has been paying close attention to this search and is waiting to hear if her daughter's remains have been found.

Even though investigators haven't made any new discoveries in a few weeks, her family isn't giving up hope.

Candelaria's family still looks at her pictures wondering what led to her disappearance in 2003.

Isabel Candelaria, Monica's mother, said, "Everyday hasn't been a day goes by I don't miss her."

Monica was 23 years old when she didn't show up to her son's birthday party and that's when her mother knew something was drastically wrong.

much more at link

Kat
03-15-2009, 07:30 PM
It would not surprise me if Isabel was there on the mesa. We only have ID's for 4 adult female victims so far, and while we can't yet know the tight the timeline is for those victims yet to be identified, we can look at the ones already IDed and see that so far, and until more vic's are IDed the timeline of disappearance for them is June 2003 to Aug 2004.

She may very well be IDed from the Mesa. If she is, then we've got someone that put those vics there in a fairly tight timeline and that will be very interesting from a sleuthing point of view.

Bud
03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
It would not surprise me if Isabel was there on the mesa. We only have ID's for 4 adult female victims so far, and while we can't yet know the tight the timeline is for those victims yet to be identified, we can look at the ones already IDed and see that so far, and until more vic's are IDed the timeline of disappearance for them is June 2003 to Aug 2004.

She may very well be IDed from the Mesa. If she is, then we've got someone that put those vics there in a fairly tight timeline and that will be very interesting from a sleuthing point of view.

Don't tell Isabel that... Isabel is the mother :winko:

Monica is the daughter.

Kat
03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Don't tell Isabel that... Isabel is the mother :winko:

Monica is the daughter.

HAHA Bud! :p

I need to brush up on my reading retention skills huh?

I stand humbly corrected :)

Still waiting for more information to be released :sheesh:

Once we get more information it will be easier to get an idea of what the LE is dealing with out there.

fran
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I care! Don't post on this case, but I follow it everyday. I have seen all of these possible victims in my searches for the missing and I cannot believe LE hasn't done more to put it all together before now.

As the victims are ID'd, it's very clear that they all have families who loved them and have been searching or waiting for them to come home. Beautiful women who lost their way but were loved and have been missed.

I sincerely hope their killer will be brought to justice. It's obvious that there are people out there who MAY know what happened to them. The nation is watching and I have to believe there will be justice!

I've been watching this case unfold as well. It doesn't matter what walk of life these victims came from, they didn't deserve what happened to them.

I pray they're able to identify all of the victims and solve this case. But gosh, it looks like there may possibly be more,.............this case reminds me of a case we heard about when we lived in Oregon. Women were going missing and people wouldn't realize it for quite some time. THEN, the bodies started showing up. One, two, two more, a couple more,.......they started identifying them and then...........it stopped..............a few years went by, cold case. Then, the bodies started showing up again.................The Green River Killer was on the prowl again. We know how that ended.....:(

There's another serial type case going on in LA, Jennings..............same type of thing. I can't recall the count,???? 6,...7? Over a few year period. All from the same side of town and some knew each other......

Every one of these cases counts. It's LE that drops the ball on some of these. Or..........maybe that's not really the right word..........they are mystified too......a 'stranger' killer is much harder to track down. But, in order to solve the case, someone has to investigate it. I hope they put enough man power into this case.

I'll be watching for future developments.

JMHO
fran

ella's mom
03-16-2009, 11:03 PM
HAHA Bud! :p

I need to brush up on my reading retention skills huh?

I stand humbly corrected :)

Still waiting for more information to be released :sheesh:

Once we get more information it will be easier to get an idea of what the LE is dealing with out there.

Only Bud would have corrected you. We all knew what you meant : ).

I want more news now. I hate it when LE goes silent. I tend to agree with Fran. I bet there is more too. Probably somewhere else perv lived.

Donjeta
03-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Some missing persons that have been ruled out: April Pitzer, missing from California since 2004 in whose name cell phone account was opened in Albuquerque, and another woman named Catherine, no further information.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_bones_bring_queries_on_lost _loved_ones_200903161745

Kat
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
From the article Donjeta provided in post #172:

"Meanwhile not all the remains recovered from the west mesa are complete. Investigators have said the dig could go on for months."

ETA: If the LE has some incomplete remains, short of DNA testing, I'm not sure we can be positive that only 13 victims are there. I guess we won't know until even the smallest remains are collected and testing completed.

ella's mom
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Some missing persons that have been ruled out: April Pitzer, missing from California since 2004 in whose name cell phone account was opened in Albuquerque, and another woman named Catherine, no further information.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_bones_bring_queries_on_lost _loved_ones_200903161745

Thank you for the article. I am sure many families are coming to LE trying to identify their loved ones. I am happy to see they were able to give them an answer right away.

Does anyone familar with missing person cases know who the Catherine might be? I am very familar with April's case. I have followed that case for a long time. I was surprised to see her name listed here. This is the first time I have heard about the phone being opened in her name.

It is almost bittersweet knowing she was not there. I am happy to know she wasn't there, but now her mother has to continue suffering until she is found.

ella's mom
03-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Nothing new here, but glad to see it still in the news.

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Grim-answer-to-prostitutes-puzzle.5073825.jp

Donjeta
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Does anyone familar with missing person cases know who the Catherine might be?

Just a guess but I think it might be her: http://www.nampn.org/cases/lique_catherine.html

Based on the article, the ruled out Catherine is probably missing from San Bernardino county in California and Lique is from Barstow. She's been missing since 2003 so she would fit the timeline too.

Her myspace says "She was "working" and left one bright November day never to be heard from again". http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=184269859

Kat
03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Lique is from Barstow which is over a nine hour drive to Albuquerque.

She's been ruled out? Sorry I'm fuzzy today. Her age and location don't fit into what we know about the IDed victims so far.

I do hope she's found, her daughter deserves to know what has happened to her Mother.

Donjeta
03-17-2009, 09:06 PM
it says in the article that April Pitzer's and Catherine's information was sent to NM by the coroner's office in San Bernardino county California so I figured Catherine has probably been reported missing there. Hence the location. But she was ruled out. But worth a try for the relatives' sake and easily checked since it took less than a day.

http://www.koat.com/news/18946463/detail.html

Vanessa Reid Lujan was a 25-year-old mother when she disappeared. Her family said she was trying to turn her life around, but fell back into a drug addiction.

She also ran in the same circles as some of the identified west mesa victims. Medical investigators are looking for Lujan's dental records.

Kat
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/18946677/detail.html

Snipped from link above: POSTED: 12:43 am MDT March 17, 2009

"Wendy Potter and Christopher Grievas have spent countless hours at the West Mesa dig site analyzing bones." (General interview with two anthropologists working on Mesa).

Next article:
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/national/west/nat_krqe_albuquerque_PI_offers_help_in_west_mesa_m ystery_2009031618002261098

snipped from above article:

Published : Tuesday, 17 Mar 2009, 1:20 PM EDT

snipped from above link:

"Now, a private investigator is offering free help to people who wonder if a missing member of their family might be one of the unknown eight...

"...We saw all the bodies found, we have several missing persons cases of young ladies that age and our clients were calling us, saying could our loved ones be there," Dr. George Walker said.

Walker put an ad in the paper last week, offering help for free to any family who believes their missing friend or relative could be one of the bodies found in the mesa.

He's gotten 10 calls so far, five of which he believes have potential ties to the West Mesa crime scene.

"A lot of parents have DNA samples in their homes that they're not aware of," Walker said. "Old brushes belong to loved one though of no use, sitting in your house, but if they have hair follicles you can identify people through DNA."

Walker wants to help families gather that DNA to hand over to police. He said he'll also work to track down dental records—even if that means tracking a dentist who has moved out of state..."

Video available of Dr. George Walker (PI) speaking, I did not view it.

Kat
03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
O/T but I researched the PI and found his website.

http://finalnotice-investigativeservicesgroup.com/Final_Notice/Bin/sellfolio.html

License is up to date.

If what he has represented in his bio on that website is factual, then I hope that he can help these families in whatever way he can.

Donjeta
03-23-2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S843715.shtml

Families of missing women come together

Families of the missing women release balloons Saturday in AlbuquerqueA thousand pink and blue balloons filled the sky Saturday to honor the more than a dozen women who went missing in Albuquerque between 2001 and 2006.

Maria Chavarria, the mother of a missing woman, says its time for the city to unite and find answers.

"We're hoping that that will help everyone in albuquerque see the balloons and come together and help us find answers for all these families," she said.

http://www.koat.com/news/18989347/detail.html

Forensic Odontologist Helps Identify West Mesa Victims

"Dental identification is the fastest type of identification," said Dr. Peter Loomis, a forensic odontologist with the Office of the Medical Investigator, who is responsible for helping identify several of the victims found.

A handheld X-ray machine is used to scan the dental remains, and then the images are transferred to a computer program. The program then compares the images to hundreds of dental records in the missing persons database.

http://www.koat.com/news/18988138/detail.html

Mom Fears Daughter May Be West Mesa Victim

Stacy Love Vigil is Anna Vigil's mother. She spoke to KOAT by phone from her home in Arkansas.

"She has a young son who will be seven next week and he hasn't seen his mommy in four years," Vigil said.

Anna's been missing since January 2005.

Vigil referred to the west mesa where remains of 13 bodies have been discovered since February. She said its let her wondering.

"Anna had admitted to me, confided in me that she was having some problems with heroin," Vigil said.

More at the links.

Kat
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24prostitute.html?ref=us

2 page article. It's about the victims IDed and others that are waiting for answers from the Mesa.

Donjeta
03-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Dr George Walker from Final Notice detective agency offers a reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction:

"The reward is worth $15,000. Walker said the money is coming from a group of Albuquerque citizens who want to see this case solved.

If you have information in the case you can call Final Notice at 1-877-338-1325, or you can call the Albuquerque Police Department tipline at 1-877-765-8273."

http://www.koat.com/news/18997599/detail.html

I don't know how they'd go about the money if the murderer turned out to be one of the dead suspects.

Families of identified victims may get assistance from The New Mexico Crime Victims Reparation Commission.

The commission does its work from 8100 Mountain Road in Northeast Albuquerque. It helps families with a number of expenses, giving up to $20,000 in aid.

Tackman said, "It could be funeral costs, it could be therapy, it could be loss of wages, or it could be medical or hospital bills."

http://www.koat.com/news/18997257/detail.html

Kat
03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
http://durangoherald.com/sections/News/2009/03/28/New_Mexico_seeks_better_system__to_alert_others_ab out_missing_adults/

March 28, 2009

New Mexico seeks better system to alert others about missing adults

Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said Friday the digging for remains on the west mesa could end some time next week and investigators don't anticipate finding any more victims...

...Denish said she would like to see an "announcement of missing persons," or AMP, alert for adults. It could be similar to an AMBER alert used to publicize missing children, but the details have not been worked out yet.

Such a system also could include ongoing reports to keep a search going, if the person is not immediately found, Denish said.

Donjeta
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
The searches are about to end in a small while as no new sets of human remains are expected to be found. They still keep finding fragments though.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S853555.shtml
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_mesa_graves_search_nears_en d_200903272029

http://www.koat.com/news/19042558/detail.html

Isabel Candelaria hopes the search will continue because she believes her daughter’s remains are buried out there. She feels it's crucial for investigators to keep digging because even a small discovery may lead to the possible identification of her daughter as one of the victims.

"Why stop something they started they need to finish? There's eight unidentified bodies and families that need to know," said Candelaria.

capoly
04-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Families of missing come together

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - The families joining for dinner Thursday began what may become a tradition built around a common bond, one they dearly wish they didn't share.

The families who met at the Northeast Heights restaurant all have daughters who either are missing or whose bodies have been found in makeshift graves uncovered on Albuquerque's southwest mesa since early February.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_families_of_missing_come_to gether_200904022345

Tonia
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Fifth mesa victim identified

Police confirmed Friday they have identified the remains of a fifth person buried on Albuquerque's West Mesa.

Officers aren't releasing the name of the victim to the media because they're working to notify relatives.

Police are expected to hold a news conference on the find on Friday.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_fifth_mesa_victim_identifie d_200904030832

fran
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Family member: Fifth West Mesa body ID’ed

A woman contacting the Eyewitness News 4 newsroom this morning claims police have notified her family that her cousin has been identified as one of the people recovered from a lot on the city’s Southwest Mesa.
Albuquerque police spokesman John Walsh would neither confirm nor deny the claim but did say that more information about the investigation will be available later today.

<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S864283.shtml

fran
04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought this was most informative. Thank you to the poster leah on Topix. Notice the "Romero." That must be the latest victim 'id.'

What I find disturbing is that all those found and id'd are missing from the same year. They may want to try and id remains recovered with the two, IIRC, left missing from '04 and check the '03 and then the '05.

IMHO, they may have another killing field.:(

JMHO
fran

http://www.topix.com/forum/albuquerque/T0HE8CRBUNEHTM7KR

leah052006
Fort Worth, TX
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it! |#2 57 min ago
Judged:
My sympathies to the Romero family.

These are the names of the missing women. Let their names not be forgotten.
1. Teresa Reyes missing 1998
2. Darlene Trujillo missing 2001
3. Sonia Lente missing 2002
4. Monica Candalaria missing 2003
5 . Doreen Marquez missing 2003
6 . Cinnamon Elks missing 2004 BODY IDENTIFIED
7. Veronia Romero missing 2004 BODY IDENTIFIED
8. Victoria Chavez missing 2004 BODY IDENTIFIED
9. Michelle Valdez missing 2004 BODY IDENTIFIED
10. Virgina Cloven missing 2004
11. Julie Neito missing 2004 BODY IDENTIFIED
12. Evelyn Salazar missing 2004
13. Jamie Barela missing 2004
14. Anna Vigil missing 2005
15. Felipa Gonzalez missing 2005
16. Nina Herron missing 2005
17. Shawntell Waites missing 2005
18. Vanessa Reid Lujan missing 2005
19. Leah Peebles missing 2006
20. Katrina Hurts missing 2006
OTHER ADULTS ALSO MISSING FROM ALBUQUERQUE
21. Betty Vigil Garcia missing 1998
22. Jeanette Maria De La Cruz missing 1999
23. Christine Julian missing 2003
24. Brenda Jeen Apalicio missing 2003

THESE TEENS CLASSIFIED AS ENDANGERED RUNAWAYS ARE ALSO MISSING FROM ALBUQUERQUE
25. Brittney Ann Jaramillo missing 2007..is 17 now
26. Danisha Renee Klug missing 2008..is 17 now
27. Johana Elvira Martinez missing 2008..is 17 now
28. Ashley Nichole Lopez missing 2008..is 18 now.
30. Xylonia Begay missing Feb. 2009..is 16 now
29. Amber Adelia Bittinger missing March 2009....
is 15 now.
Sources:
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
www.missingkids.com
National Center for Missing Adults
www.theyaremissed.org/

Donjeta
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S864283.shtml

says that Monica Candelaria has also been identified along with Veronica Romero, so that makes six that have been identified.

Investigators say that Monica Candelaria, who was 21 when she disappeared in 2004, and Veronica Romero, who was 27 when she also disappeared in 2004, are the fifth and sixth victims identified.
Police have been saying that they’ve recovered the remains of 12 people and a fetus during their two-month excavation, but Friday revised that to 11 people and a fetus.

ETA if the estimated burial time between 2000 to 2005 is correct none of those endangered runaways listed as missing during the last couple of years above are likely to be found here.

ETA some more: Which year did Candelaria go missing? Above it says 2003 and here 2004.

Kat
04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I had made some notes about the vic's that have already been ID'ed:

Monica Diana Candelaria, May 15, 2003

Victoria Ann Chavez, June 5, 2003.

Veronica Romero missing since 2004 (can't find a link for month or day)

Julie Neito, July 15, 2004

Cinnamon Elks, August 20, 2004.

Michelle Gina Valdez, September 22, 2004.

I put them Identified in order of their reported disapearances. Tight cluster so far timeline wise.

I need to find the month and if possible the day for Veronica R.

Kat
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
If you look at the women that are listed as missing in 2003 there are 2 from that year. Then there are 3 more that are missing from 2004. 5 more victims yet to be identifed. 5 missing women that fall between 2003-2004.

I find that interesting.

Donjeta
04-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Is there any pattern re: days of the week?

TxBecca
04-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Is there any pattern re: days of the week?

Monica Diana Candelaria, May 15, 2003 - Thursday

Victoria Ann Chavez, June 5, 2003. - Thursday

Veronica Romero missing since 2004 (can't find a link for month or day) - ??

Julie Neito, July 15, 2004 - Thursday

Cinnamon Elks, August 20, 2004. - Friday

Michelle Gina Valdez, September 22, 2004. - Wednesday

I put them Identified in order of their reported disapearances. Tight cluster so far timeline wise.

I need to find the month and if possible the day for Veronica R.

I looked up the day of the week for each of ther girls mentioned and added it to Kat's quote in bold.

Bud
04-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I looked up the day of the week for each of ther girls mentioned and added it to Kat's quote in bold.

Weird... almost one girl for each month... middle of the month mid to late in the week.

Kat
04-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I found this article dated 03 April 2009 and I found it interesting as it identifies a person that is said to have claimed that one of the missing women was "dead and taken out to the Mesa". (Prior to the discovery of the remains of these women out on the Mesa).

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_2003_report_cites_possible_ fould_play_200804031800

The report shows a log of interviews conducted by Bernalillo County Sheriff's investigators.

In one entry a deputy cites a conversation with Candelaria's mother:

"Mrs. Candelaria told me that she heard from a friend that a person known as 'Isaac' (Savadera) was talking at a local barbershop that he knew that 'Monica' was killed and where she was taken to in the 'mesa.'"

The report does not cite any interview with 'Isaac,'...

ETA: Please note that the man named in this article has not been named a POI or a suspect, and we can only assume that this report is rumor for now.

Kat
04-04-2009, 03:54 PM
TXBecca thank you so much for adding to my OP of when these ladies went missing.

I found an article that stated the month and year of when Victoria R. went missing. I am going to copy and paste "our" work from above and add the date.

Monica Diana Candelaria, May 15, 2003 - Thursday

Veronica Romero missing since February 2004 (still need a day so we can find day of the week)

Listed in Order of disappearance.

ETA: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jHoyOxB-E50OhIqc4aIyyfP0WNKQD97BAVH81

Kat
04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Last day that Victoria R. was seen Feb. 15, 2004.

http://durangoherald.com/sections/News/2009/04/04/New_Mexico_police_identify_two_more_bodies_that_we re_found_buried_in_the_desert/

I think the 15th of FEB 2004 was a Sunday.

Donjeta
04-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Last day that Victoria R. was seen Feb. 15, 2004.

http://durangoherald.com/sections/News/2009/04/04/New_Mexico_police_identify_two_more_bodies_that_we re_found_buried_in_the_desert/

I think the 15th of FEB 2004 was a Sunday.

The same article says that Candelaria was last seen May 11 2003 and not 15 as in the previous list.

Kat
04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Donjeta I hope they come out with another article about the date Romero went missing, so we can have more than one source for the date.

Kat
04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
http://media.www.dailylobo.com/media/storage/paper344/news/2009/04/06/News/Mesa-Victims.Families.Urge.Wider.Search-3698412.shtml

06 APR 2009

APD spokeswoman Nadine Hamby said the department doesn't plan to wrap up the West Mesa investigation anytime soon.

There are 25 to 30 investigators at the site at all times looking for bones, Hamby said.

"There are just a ton of resources that are being utilized out there right now," she said. "Many of those bodies aren't intact. Just three days ago we found a toe bone, and that's the reason why we're not leaving that site. There are minor, little, tiny bone fragments, and we are still out there trying to recover those."

Donjeta
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Quote from Kat's link above:

Lupe Lopez, a former deputy sheriff, said her sister, Beatrice Lopez Cubelos, went missing in 1989 after leaving a friend's apartment on Second Street. Cubelos said her sister could be buried out on the West Mesa. If her body is not recovered because it was buried away from the bones of the other bodies, then the APD will have conducted an incomplete search and investigation, Lopez said.

1989 seems too long ago to fit the timeline of this burial place but who knows, maybe there's another, older one. I can't find any info about her disappearance.

Bud
04-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Quote from Kat's link above:

1989 seems too long ago to fit the timeline of this burial place but who knows, maybe there's another, older one. I can't find any info about her disappearance.

Agreed. Why is she bringing such an old case up in relation to this case? The timeline is WAY off.

An incomplete investigation if they don't search for her sister's bones (who disappeared in 1989) that are probably not even out on the West Mesa?

Perhaps, I missed something.

Donjeta
04-15-2009, 05:48 PM
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_two_more_families_grieve_me sa_victims_200904032318

This is not a new article but it says Veronica Romero went missing on Valentine's day.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_two_more_families_grieve_me sa_victims_200904032318

A man named "Isaac" was overheard saying he knew someone took the 22-year-old there after killing her, according to Candelaria.

Romero was friends with three of the four women previously identified from the mesa grave: Victoria Chavez, Cinnamon Elks and Michelle Valdez.

Interesting link between the victims.

Bud
04-16-2009, 02:31 AM

This is not a new article but it says Veronica Romero went missing on Valentine's day.

Interesting link between the victims.

It seems they would have been familiar with one another from 'the street'. Did they have a pimp? Was it the guy who died... the one who had pics of prostitutes on his wall (if I recall correctly).

Donjeta
04-16-2009, 08:28 AM
It seems they would have been familiar with one another from 'the street'. Did they have a pimp? Was it the guy who died... the one who had pics of prostitutes on his wall (if I recall correctly).

It would certainly make sense. But I have to say that I'd be very disappointed in the investigation of the cases if it turned out that four women who went missing within a year's time had the same pimp and nobody had connected the dots and hauled the guy in.

Jesikah1
04-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Agreed. Why is she bringing such an old case up in relation to this case? The timeline is WAY off.

An incomplete investigation if they don't search for her sister's bones (who disappeared in 1989) that are probably not even out on the West Mesa?

Perhaps, I missed something.

I think that because she was former LE and perhaps has seen how these kinds of cases can be dismissed or not connected for many years mixed with the agony of not knowing for so long, has led her to cling on to the hope that the West Mesa holds the answers to her lost loved one. When you want something so badly, it often doesn't matter if time lines or likelihoods add up, that is why I believe she is so adamant. On the other hand, one of the suspects who has passed, was just out of high school around that time, so I guess it is not inconceivable that he could be responsible for disappearances in the late eighties, just less likely!

Tonia
04-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Mesa graves excavation opened to media
Another bone fragment found

For the first time news cameras have been allowed inside what investigators call the largest crime scene in U.S. history: the dozen graves spread across a construction site in southwest Albuquerque.

On Thursday news cameras went behind the yellow tape while the crew from “America's Most Wanted” shot video for an upcoming show dedicated to the case.

The search for remains began early in February and still continues. In the last 24 hours another bone fragment was discovered and is believed to be from one of the known sets of remains.

Investigators so far have identified six of the victims as women reported missing in Albuquerque in 2004. They shared troubled pasts that included drugs and prostitution, and several on a list police had complied of 16 women who vanished in the city between 2001 and 2006.

The seventh victim was the unborn fetus of one of the women, and the other five have yet to be identified.

One of the men, a pimp who died of natural causes, had photographs of some of the missing women. The other man had killed a prostitute at his home and was carrying the body to his car when he was shot and killed by her pimp.

And while medical investigators have identified seven of the dozen victims, they have not released any causes of death.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_mesa_graves_excavation_open ed_to_media_200904161756

Kat
04-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Father of mesa victim brings families together

04/17/2009 10:43 PM

The father of the pregnant woman found buried on the West Mesa has been busy creating a support network for families of victims' found at the dig site.

Video of news coverage of Mr. Valdez's work to the top right of article.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S885204.shtml?cat=516

Kat
04-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Details about the seach for the victims and how it was conducted. (Video to the right of the article gives us an idea how intensive this search was...)

Police Reveal Dig Site Details

UPDATED: 6:43 pm MDT April 16, 2009

Feist said officers moved about four feet of dirt from the area. He said it was a very tedious process because tractors moved only about three inches of dirt at a time.

"So it took a long time," Feist said. "When you're moving acres and acres and acres, three inches at a time to the depth of four feet, that's why it took so long."

More at link.

tfrohning
04-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Father of mesa victim brings families together

04/17/2009 10:43 PM

Video of news coverage of Mr. Valdez's work to the top right of article.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S885204.shtml?cat=516

Thanks for this video, I seem the case many time but never stop to look at or read up on it, for some reason I thought it had more to do mexico drugs cardel, I did not think it was serial killer, I will now look for updates.

Kat
04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S890422.shtml?cat=504

Updated at: 04/21/2009 5:14 PM

Police ID seventh set of West Mesa remains

Albuquerque police have identified a seventh person whose remains were unearthed from a makeshift burial ground on Albuquerque’s Southwest Mesa as Doreen Marquez.

Marquez was 27-years-old the last time she was seen alive in October 2003.

Kat
04-21-2009, 08:06 PM
http://projectjason.org/18wheel/18WheelAngel_DoreenMarquez.pdf

Missing 10 OCT 2003 : that day fell on a Friday.

Kat
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Bump list of the Victims Identified and dates missing:

Monica Diana Candelaria, May 11, 2003 - Sunday

Doreen Marquez, October 10, 2003 - Friday

Veronica Romero, Feb. 15, 2004, Sunday

Listed in Order of disappearance.

(special thanks to Donjeta and TxBecca for their help with this list)

ETA: changed day of week for Doreen, thanks Donjeta!

Kat
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
One more thought~ 7 are identified and 4 are not.

The victims identified fall within 2003-2004 date of disappearance. On the list Fran provided for us in post # 189. There are 3 woman on the list that are still missing from 2004.

1. Virgina Cloven
2. Evelyn Salazar
3. Jamie Barela

Just some thoughts, it no way indicates the unidentified may be these women.

Donjeta
04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks Kat. It seems like a tight timeline. I hope the rest of them get their ID's soon, their families have already waited far too long.

Could you edit your list since I think October 10 2003 was a Friday like you wrote above and not Sunday?

Odyssey
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi there,

I have been tracking this case a bit too, and wanted to point out there may be some discrepancies in the timelines. I went digging through criminal records, which can be found here http://www.metrocourt.state.nm.us/xnet/ (and then click on 'case lookup') and here are some of my findings:

Virginia Cloven listed as missing since 4/13/2004, yet on 7/20/04 she was in court filing a motion to dismiss some charges against her.

Cinnamon Elks listed as missing since 8/20/2004, she pled guilty to charges on 8/12/04 and was sentenced to 180 days.

Anselma Guerra seems to be missing from the Charley Project website today - I just noticed this when I went to find her missing date, she was listed yesterday. I wonder if she has been identified?

Felipa Gonzales is listed as missing in 2005 with no date specified. She was arrested for shoplifting on April 30 2005 so it had to be later than that.

Anna Vigil missing since 1/21/2005, she was arrested on 1/19/2005 for prostitution (two days before she went missing?)

Shawntell Waites is just listed as missing in 2006. She was arrested on 2/25/2006 so it would be later than that.

Darlene Trujillo missing since 7/4/2001. She pled guilty to a violation and a failure to appear on 4/5/2002.

I kept going over and over all these girls and their missing dates and their court dates, arrest dates, etc... and I have that weird feeling like there is something odd with the dates but I'm just not picking up on it.

Donjeta
04-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Good find, Odyssey.

I suppose some of the reported missing dates on various sites might be mistakes or the time that a family member saw her the last time, although the woman has been alive and well after that. It's possible that they didn't tell their families that they had to go to jail. But one would think that LE would pick up on the fact that a missing person crops up in court after they've been reported missing. Would LE inform someone who reports a family member missing if they know that she's in jail?

Very strange.

Bud
04-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Hi there,

I have been tracking this case a bit too, and wanted to point out there may be some discrepancies in the timelines. I went digging through criminal records, which can be found here http://www.metrocourt.state.nm.us/xnet/ (and then click on 'case lookup') and here are some of my findings:

Virginia Cloven listed as missing since 4/13/2004, yet on 7/20/04 she was in court filing a motion to dismiss some charges against her.

Cinnamon Elks listed as missing since 8/20/2004, she pled guilty to charges on 8/12/04 and was sentenced to 180 days.

Anselma Guerra seems to be missing from the Charley Project website today - I just noticed this when I went to find her missing date, she was listed yesterday. I wonder if she has been identified?

Felipa Gonzales is listed as missing in 2005 with no date specified. She was arrested for shoplifting on April 30 2005 so it had to be later than that.

Anna Vigil missing since 1/21/2005, she was arrested on 1/19/2005 for prostitution (two days before she went missing?)

Shawntell Waites is just listed as missing in 2006. She was arrested on 2/25/2006 so it would be later than that.

Darlene Trujillo missing since 7/4/2001. She pled guilty to a violation and a failure to appear on 4/5/2002.

I kept going over and over all these girls and their missing dates and their court dates, arrest dates, etc... and I have that weird feeling like there is something odd with the dates but I'm just not picking up on it.

Great information!

With regard to your comment about Anselma Guerra... read this links:
http://charleyross.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/anselma-guerra-found-not-on-the-mesa/
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:954449997&start=9

Kat
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi there,

Ty very much Odessey! Excellent first post and welcome to websleuths! Your input is greatly appreciated:)

Odyssey
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Great information!

With regard to your comment about Anselma Guerra... read this links:
http://charleyross.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/anselma-guerra-found-not-on-the-mesa/
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:954449997&start=9

Wow, when I first saw the headline I thought maybe they had found her alive... I'm not trying to insinuate anything but it is strange that they have another deceased suspect.

Jesikah1
04-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi there,

This is just an educated guess but would it possible for those who do not appear, a guilty charge is automatically levied upon them? For instance when Darlene Trujillo did not appear on 4/5 to the charge from '01, they automatically pled her guilty in 2002. I could be wrong, but I thought that is how the courts in NM deal with no shows in addition to a warrant issued for a failure to appear.

As for the cases where arrests occurred right before the victims went missing, prostitution charges don't keep them in jail too long. It is very conceivable that she was released and murdered long before a scheduled court appearance.

I think the screwy dates have to do with the lengthy judicial process that will go on with or without defendants. However this was a good find and interesting to consider.

Odyssey
04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
This is just an educated guess but would it possible for those who do not appear, a guilty charge is automatically levied upon them? For instance when Darlene Trujillo did not appear on 4/5 to the charge from '01, they automatically pled her guilty in 2002. I could be wrong, but I thought that is how the courts in NM deal with no shows in addition to a warrant issued for a failure to appear.

As for the cases where arrests occurred right before the victims went missing, prostitution charges don't keep them in jail too long. It is very conceivable that she was released and murdered long before a scheduled court appearance.

I think the screwy dates have to do with the lengthy judicial process that will go on with or without defendants. However this was a good find and interesting to consider.

That could be, I don't really know how the judicial system works when it comes to no-shows. There are plenty of court dates listed where the plea information was left blank, which led me to think that when it actually says "Guilty" or "Not Guilty", that they did actually appear and enter a plea.

I could be wrong though...

Jesikah1
04-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Okay, well I may have spoken too soon:) I tried to find various caselaw regarding pleas and failure to appear and came up with...confusion! I still think that the discrepancies in timelines come from issues in the judicial bureaucracy rather than issues with when the victims went missing but I definitely could be wrong! I am going to try to come up with a definitive answer but if anybody else has more experience with NM courts, I'd love to hear some ideas!

Kat
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S896547.shtml?cat=504

Posted at: 04/24/2009 8:11 AM

Police contemplate halting West Mesa dig

Today is the last scheduled day for investigators to continue excavating 100 acres on Albuquerque’s Southwest Mesa where the remains of 11 woman and one infant have been recovered.
Whether the project is stopped, though, remains to be seen.

More at link.

Jesikah1
04-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Gosh, I know that the city of Albuquerque has spent alot of time and resources searching this site and not alot has been recovered since the initial weeks, but I think stopping the excavation now would be premature. I wonder how much of it has to do with home owner anxieties about digging on their property? LE was pretty quick to reassure them that this would not happen!

Anyhow, so far we have eight women missing from 2003 and 2004 and found buried on the West Mesa, this is a pretty prolific number of killing for a 2 year time span, even for a serial killer. I think that it is kind of preposterous to think that if it is a lone killer, they just did this rash amount of killings in a half decade's time period and killed no time previous or after (If the suspect is still alive.) I mean I know killers have to start at some point, but considering the sheer number of remains for this time period, it does not feel like these were their first.

What are you guys thinking at this point? Is it a serial killer, are there more victims? Is it a gang act?

I wish that LE would release more of their theories to the public because it doesn't feel like they've said much either way, but at some point whether it be someone or someone(s) were murdering young women, women who hadn't had the chance to overcome their struggles which to me is all the more tragic. So I feel a little frustrated that LE is just releasing the arrest records of the victims as some sort of reassurance that if you are not a prostitute or drug addict, you are safe. Which is probably true to some degree, but if anybody or a group of anybodies can kill that many people, well then it is not going to matter much if the right situation arises.

I look forward to all you sleuthers' insights. I didn't mean to ramble so much about this, but I guess the thought of the investigation stalling got me going! :crazy:

Odyssey
04-25-2009, 12:11 AM
I do think it was the act of one person (or group of people) and that whoever it was knew these girls. I don't think it was a random act of a typical "serial killer" who just does it for the excitement or whatever. I also have pondered that they may not all have been separate occurences, some may have been killed and buried at the same time. When I was searching the criminal records, I was trying to see if there was any relation from their missing date to their court dates, thinking maybe someone wanted to shut them up but you said it very well, when you try to look into it you come up with confusion because its hard to tell what dates are what and whether they were actually in court or not. These are just hunches, of course, and I also am curious as to police theories.

And yes, the last article I saw they said they were still finding more on a daily basis so what on earth would make them stop now?! That just doesn't make any sense!

Kat
04-25-2009, 04:58 AM
I haven't formed a theory yet, Jesikah1. I am waiting for the rest of the victims to be identified. At this point in time, I'm leaning more towards one or two serial killers, not two seperate that happened to chose that area to dump bodies but rather two that may have worked together.

I just don't know at this point. We have no other information from LE other than the name of the victims that have been IDed at this time.

Donjeta
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Host John Walsh was on the mesa last week filming for Saturday night's show. He said the dig site was one of the most organized he'd seen in 20 plus years with the show.

The show says it has helped apprehend 1065 fugitives because of stories it ran. Families of the West Mesa victims hope Saturday's nationwide broadcast will bring clues.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S899341.shtml?cat=504

One of the unidentified victims had an unusual set of acrylic nails that could help detectives determine her identity.

http://media.amw.com/multimedia/fileRepository/db/472/202/nail_content.jpg

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/video_photos.cfm?id=64720

ETA: Family members watch the show together: http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_families_react_to_national_ story_200904252250

Relatives of the seventh victim identified from a makeshift graveyard said they filed a second missing-person report because Albuquerque police didn't seem interested in looking for the troubled woman.

"They weren't too worried about the people with the lifestyle that she had," Julie Gonzales told KRQE News 13.
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_two_reports_said_mesa_victi m_missing_200904230029

And yet a bit more about Doreen Marquez:
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_ap_albuquerque_police_id_7th_body_in_west_me sa_murders_200904211451

Anyone with information that might help police can call the tip line at 1-877-SOLV-APD (1-877-765-8273).

Odyssey
04-30-2009, 12:12 AM
This case sure has gone quiet... I wonder if they really did stop searching?

Kat
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
I do not know if this is a reputable link. I haven't read this before and I don't know if it's news or a just a personal blog? Does anyone know?

At any rate this is all I could find updated for this case:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-04-27/whos-murdering-the-prostitutes-of-albuquerque/

It does have what appears to be interviews with some family members of the victims.

Kat
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.koat.com/news/19294860/detail.html

12:31 pm MDT April 26, 2009

A professor at the University of New Mexico plans to write a book about the West Mesa mystery.

Dirk Gibson has written several books on serial killers.

He said he plans to ask the victims' families for permission and wants to explain to them how he would write the book.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S910497.shtml?cat=504

Updated at: 05/01/2009 7:18 PM

Families of some of the women found buried on the West Mesa got a better idea Friday of when they'll have their loved ones' bodies returned to them.

Family members say the bodies are being sent two at a time from the OMI in New Mexico to a Texas facility for further examination.

It's been a long and frustrating wait, say family members, as they try to make funeral plans.

Donjeta
05-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Clear Channel is donating the space on the 17 billboards, which is worth about $15,000

A 17-year-old high school student who is interning with the company came up with the idea for her senior project.

“The 'No child should be forgotten' thing was just kind of an idea we threw around. The whole idea: To make sure people remember these girls for who they were," said Sandia Prep senior Madison Ries.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S918596.shtml?cat=500

Psychics have also had their say:

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_psychic_premonitions_pour_i nto_tip_line_200905021344

It also says

Police suspended their digging in the 100-acre crime scene last week after nearly three months of moving mountains of dirt in a section of sandy scrub recently bladed for a housing development.

Donjeta
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Families use Myspace to connect and hope to generate tips

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S927874.shtml?cat=500

http://www.myspace.com/doreenmarquez
http://www.myspace.com/459767442

APD tallies recovery
cost of mesa bones
Digging could resume if needed

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - So far it has cost $250,000 to exhume the remains of 11 people buried under unknown circumstances on the city's southwest mesa, according to an estimate released Thursday.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_apd_tallies_recovery_cost_o f_mesa_bones_200905072057

Jesikah1
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I am glad that LE is willing to spend what it need to in order to find some answers to these cases. I also hope that this case will foster more attention to the extreme drug problems that exist in this state and more importantly the lack of resources for addicts trying to come clean. Article after article stated what wonderful women these victims were but that drugs got a grip on them that they just couldn't shake. Continued discussion in New Mexico for this crime is important on a number of levels, IMO.
Also, I was surprised that the cost for 3 months of exhumation was so low, anybody else have that reaction?

Donjeta
05-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I was a bit disturbed by finding out that they spent two months and hundreds of work hours digging there yet the overtime was for night time security and apparently no new people had to be hired to help out with the extra work. I can't decide if it's a good sign that Albuquerque LE is normally very well staffed if a colossal two month effort doesn't disturb their normal operations or a bad sign that other crimes didn't get investigated properly during this search.

Jesikah1
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM
I was a bit disturbed by finding out that they spent two months and hundreds of work hours digging there yet the overtime was for night time security and apparently no new people had to be hired to help out with the extra work. I can't decide if it's a good sign that Albuquerque LE is normally very well staffed if a colossal two month effort doesn't disturb their normal operations or a bad sign that other crimes didn't get investigated properly during this search.

This is an interesting point. But I have to wonder, if it was very well staffed would all of these women have gone missing for so long with the families thinking that nobody in LE cared?

As an aside I remember in 2007 when the Lobos let go of Ritchie McKay as the basketball coach, they paid him over half a million dollars to buy him out of his contract. I realize that there are different funding sources at play here but if the people of Albuquerque can find a way to spend 500,000 to fire somebody, I would hope they can find a way to get answers for the deaths of 11 women, possibly more. I would like to know what comparable investigations have cost other cities, it is just hard to gage what is to be expected in terms of resources used and manpower for this type of crime situation. It does seem, gratefully so, that APD is willing to expend resources until it is solved.

Kat
05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15mesa.html?ref=global-home

Published: May 14, 2009

Identities of Bodies Found on Mesa Emerge, but Killer Remains Cloaked

snips of interest:

...Investigators are also now looking into “persons of interest” in the case, both alive and dead, Officer Hamby said. That includes people incarcerated in New Mexico and Texas and those with a criminal history of soliciting prostitutes and drugs...

Also, in that article are statements made by the families of the victims.

Donjeta
05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I was sure someone would remember those fingernails but I guess not. :(

Fairy1
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Donjeta - you have done a wonderful job keeping us updated on this case. I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! :blowkiss:

Donjeta
05-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Thank you, Fairy. I'm not the only one, though.

I'm haunted by this case and I just have to keep checking back in the hopes that they have identified someone else. Even if they never catch who did it, they should at least give these poor women the dignity of a name.

I had hoped that the ID process could be faster, given that they had a ready made list of missing persons who might match.

Fairy1
05-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Fairy. I'm not the only one, though.

I'm haunted by this case and I just have to keep checking back in the hopes that they have identified someone else. Even if they never catch who did it, they should at least give these poor women the dignity of a name.

I had hoped that the ID process could be faster, given that they had a ready made list of missing persons who might match.

The ID process certainly has slowed down considerably in the past few weeks. But I do feel confident they'll ID all the girls in time. I'm not as confident they'll find the killer, though. I do believe it is at least one of the two dead guys. Just hope someone still living knows enough to spill the beans! It does seem that some people knew or at least suspected what was happening.

Kat
05-26-2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/19499493/detail.html

UPDATED: 10:59 pm MDT May 18, 2009

Texas Murders May Be Linked To West Mesa
APD Says It Continues To Investigate Leads

Could a string of unsolved murders in Texas have a connection to the West Mesa?...

...In Lubbock, Texas the number of unsolved murders has risen to five and that has caught the attention of the Albuquerque Police Department...

...Schultz said detectives have also been in California, Florida and Pennsylvania following up on leads...

I am starting to think that the chance this is the work of a/or serial killer(s) is becoming more and more likely.

kittenish
05-26-2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.koat.com/news/19499493/detail.html
UPDATED: 10:59 pm MDT May 18, 2009

Texas Murders May Be Linked To West Mesa
APD Says It Continues To Investigate Leads

I am starting to think that the chance this is the work of a/or serial killer(s) is becoming more and more likely.

I wonder how recently the last body was found in TX. That might discount the dead men as suspects.

Bud
05-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Did Lorenzo Montoya ever live in Lubbock Texas?

txsvicki
05-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow, I'm suprised that they are looking at connections between these murders and Lubbock. I look at my local Lubbock online paper everyday hoping that I won't read about any more murder of women. They need to look at Odessa Texas as well. There are missing and murdered women there too as was discussed on one of the threads here at Websleuths.

Donjeta
05-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Another story about the Texas connection:
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_tip_leads_bones_task_force_ to_texas_man_200905190004

Albuquerque Police Department Officer Nadine Hamby told News 13 that the task force has taken trips to Colorado and Texas.

The latest tip took them to Lubbock, Texas, on Sunday.

Hamby said two detectives spoke to a man they said was involved in prostitution, murder and drugs. However, she said they can't release the name of the man they questioned because it could compromise the investigation

Does anyone know what's going on in Colorado?

This is an older video that includes a clip of Monica Candelaria's relative speaking (before she was identified) and an anthropologist explaining about bones and the ID process. I'm not sure if we have it already here.
http://www.truveo.com/OMI-Takes-On-West-Mesa-Bones-Mystery/id/2031355334