PDA

View Full Version : Cpl. Cesar Laurean Back In Onslow County To Face Charges

SeriouslySearching
04-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Accused Marine Back In Onslow County

Jacksonville, N.C. — A Camp Lejeune Marine charged with killing a pregnant comrade returned to Onslow County on Friday, representatives with the sheriff’s office said.

Cpl. Cesar Laurean was booked around 9 p.m. inti the Onslow County Jail. He was being held without bond.

Laurean arrived back in the U.S. earlier Friday, a year after an international manhunt led to his arrest in Mexico.

~snip~

Onslow County District Attorney Dewey Hudson said he expected Laurean to have his initial court appearance on the murder charge on Monday morning.

Prosecutors have been assembling the case against Laurean in recent months while awaiting his extradition, and Hudson said the trial could begin as early as this fall.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4975050/

The wheels of justice have turned very slow in this case and this POS doesn't look all the worse for the wear from his Mexican prison stint. I am delighted that he is back on US soil and we can begin the road to justice for Maria and her baby.

It is just too bad the DP had to be taken off the table since he made it across the border. GRRRRR. :behindbar

Tom'sGirl
04-18-2009, 03:35 PM
It will be interesting to see how closely the Media follows this case now.

panthera
04-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Great news! Finally he's back in the U.S. :clap::clap::clap:

Now it will be interesting if he says anything....

SeriouslySearching
04-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I hope they are all over it!! It shouldn't take long before this thing can go to trial since it has been a year. Of course, his attorney is already playing the "but I didn't get to spend enough time with him in a Mexican prison" and "need a change of venue" cards.

My advice to his attorney is:

Buck up, Buddy!! You have had plenty of time to prepare a defense in this case without him being here. Spend the next few weeks going over his lies and remember to ask him about the BBQ! Don't forget where they found Maria and her baby!! Don't forget where they found her blood! Insanity? Won't work. Try something else. Wife did it? Now...this is where it could get dicey. Did you check into that for the past year?! (If not, you are a foolish attorney and should be removed before you get started, imo.)

Hola, Cesar! Justice has been waiting for you!

lilpony
04-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Yay finally. :woohoo:

panthera
04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I found this interesting ~

"Laurean's wife, Christina Laurean, who just returned from a period of leave from the Marine Corps, which included a trip to Mexico, declined to comment on her husband's return.

"No thank you," she told a Daily News reporter who reached her by phone."

http://www.jdnews.com/news/laurean_63684___article.html/onslow_county.html?orderby=TimeStampDescending&showRecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=1#slComments

6thcents
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I am glad he is back to face justice! What a horrible crime.He is a Marine and he killed a marine shouldn't he be court marshalled and then tried by the state for the death of the baby?

SeriouslySearching
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I found this interesting ~

"Laurean's wife, Christina Laurean, who just returned from a period of leave from the Marine Corps, which included a trip to Mexico, declined to comment on her husband's return.

"No thank you," she told a Daily News reporter who reached her by phone."

http://www.jdnews.com/news/laurean_63684___article.html/onslow_county.html?orderby=TimeStampDescending&showRecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=1#slCommentsYes. The same woman who conveniently gave Cesar enough time to get out of the country. The same woman who should be charged right along beside him, imo.

I hope they followed her every move to know she is "standing by her man" after he murdered his lover and child then burned them in her backyard (imo)! There is certainly something wrong with this picture!

Gypsy Road
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm glad he's finally back in the U.S. as well. It's about time he faces the justice! Out of curiosity, where is his wife stationed now? Is she still in N.C.? Or has she been transferred to another base? I still have a strong suspicion that she helped Cesar with the clean up/cover up. How could she immediately not know something horrible happened in that house? Didn't she come home from the Christmas party the very same night it's believed Maria was killed in the Laurean home?

panthera
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes. The same woman who conveniently gave Cesar enough time to get out of the country. The same woman who should be charged right along beside him, imo.

I hope they followed her every move to know she is "standing by her man" after he murdered his lover and child then burned them in her backyard (imo)! There is certainly something wrong with this picture!
I'm very curious to see what he has to say, even if we must wait until the trial. I just can't help thinking she knows a whole lot more than she's admitting. MOO

panthera
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm glad he's finally back in the U.S. as well. It's about time he faces the justice! Out of curiosity, where is his wife stationed now? Is she still in N.C.? Or has she been transferred to another base? I still have a strong suspicion that she helped Cesar with the clean up/cover up. How could she immediately not know something horrible happened in that house? Didn't she come home from the Christmas party the very same night it's believed Maria was killed in the Laurean home?
I do believe she came home that evening, and as I remember, it wasn't that late. I've always found it curious how blood was found inside the house and yet she didn't notice it? How would he have been able to clean up so much, including burying Maria, before she got home? :waitasec: MOO

panthera
04-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Laurean denied bond in pregnant Marine's slaying

Updated: Today at 7:05 p.m.
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — A Camp Lejeune Marine who fled to Mexico shortly before he was charged in the death of a pregnant comrade 16 months ago made his first court appearance Monday.
Cpl. Cesar Laurean was charged with first-degree murder in the December 2007 death of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, whose charred remains were found in a shallow grave behind the Jacksonville home Laurean shared with his wife and young daughter.

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/news/state/2009/04/20/4985143/laurean1-80x60.jpg (http://www.wral.com/news/state/video/4987700/)
WATCH VIDEO (http://www.wral.com/news/state/video/4987700/)
Web only: Laurean makes first court apperance (http://www.wral.com/news/state/video/4987700/)

Lauterbach, 20, was seven months pregnant at the time of her death. Authorities haven't determined who fathered her child, but they plan to seek a DNA test to determine if Laurean is the father.
In addition to murder, Laurean faces charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon, financial transaction card theft, attempted financial transaction card fraud and obtaining property by false pretenses. Those charges stem from the theft of Lauterbach's bank card, which was later used to withdraw money.
During a brief court appearance Monday, Laurean told Superior Court Judge Paul Hardison that he understood the charges against him. Hardison denied bond on the murder charge and set a $5,000 bond on the other charges.
None of Laurean's or Lauterbach's relatives attended the hearing.
Laurean fled Jacksonville in January 2008, hours before Lauterbach's body was found. An international manhunt resulted in his arrest a year ago in a small town in western Mexico.
When he fled, he left behind a note in which he claimed Lauterbach had committed suicide and that he had buried her out of fear. An autopsy determined she had been beaten to death, and authorities said they found traces of blood inside Laurean's home. They have not said if it was Lauterbach's blood.
Laurean tried to fight his extradition from Mexico, but his final appeal was denied last week. He was brought back to Onslow County late Friday.
"I'm glad that Cesar Laurean is in our jail and the process of justice is underway," Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown said. "You can run, you can hide, but you cannot get away from the long arm of the law."
The death of Lauterbach and her unborn child, whom the family named Gabriel, has elicited an unprecedented level of anger among area residents, Brown said.
"It appears to me that the murder of Gabriel incites the unbelievable desire for vengeance from the people," he said.
Laurean wore a bullet-proof vest under his orange jail jumpsuit to his court hearing, authorities said.

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/news/local/2009/04/20/4985143/presser-80x60.jpg (http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/4988366/)
WATCH VIDEO (http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/4988366/)
Web only: Authorities discuss Laurean case (http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/4988366/)

Defense attorney Dick McNeil said he would likely seek to have the trial moved from Onslow County. He cited Brown's comments about local anger over the case as evidence that extensive publicity surrounding the case would jeopardize Laurean's right to impartial jurors and a fair trial.
"We feel the loss of the Lauterbach family and we sympathize with them, but we have to be concerned about justice," he said.
Onslow County District Attorney Dewey Hudson previously agreed not to seek the death penalty against Laurean to secure his extradition from Mexico. That country has refused to send people who could be executed back to the U.S. He said Monday he was disappointed with that aspect of the case but said it wouldn't affect how he tries the case.
"They get to tell our courts what the proper punishment is for crimes in our country," he said. "I disagree with that."
McNeil said he met with Laurean for the first time Saturday and said the Marine was in good spirits and was glad to be back in Jacksonville and close to his family.
Laurean's wife, Lance Cpl. Christina Laurean, also visited him in the Onslow County Jail, McNeil said.
The Marine Corps will soon file the paperwork to issue a dishonorable discharge to Cesar Laurean for being absent without leave, McNeil said, adding that Laurean has agreed not to contest the move.
McNeil said he was eager to get the criminal case going, saying "there's a whole other side of the story that hasn't been told." Still, he said the case likely wouldn't go to trial until next year.
He said he is handling three other murder cases scheduled for trial in the next five months. Also, prosecutors are expected to hand over about 6,000 pages of evidence in the next few days, and McNeil said he needs time to review the case with Laurean.
Onslow County District Attorney Dewey Hudson has said he would be ready to go to trial in the fall.
Laurean's next court date was set for May 18.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4985143/

SeriouslySearching
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm very curious to see what he has to say, even if we must wait until the trial. I just can't help thinking she knows a whole lot more than she's admitting. MOOAfter all she has done for him this far...would he turn on her? Of course, she knows more!! She HAS to!

panthera
04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Correction: Missing Marine story

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

RALEIGH, N.C. — In stories April 16 and April 17 about slain Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, The Associated Press reported erroneously that tests had confirmed a Marine later suspected in her killing wasn't the father of Lauterbach's unborn child.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Apr21/0,4670,MissingMarineCORRECTIVE,00.html

SeriouslySearching
04-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Aha! See...I never gave it a second thought he wasn't the father! ;) Glad they ran a retraction, but it still is a hurdle for the prosecution now.

waltzingmatilda
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the link Panthera. I was curious when I heard this reported on Local morning news yesterday. So many reporters these days do the 'rip and read' from the AP wire without confirming the facts or conflicting information.

thefragile7393
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

RALEIGH, N.C. — In stories April 16 and April 17 about slain Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, The Associated Press reported erroneously that tests had confirmed a Marine later suspected in her killing wasn't the father of Lauterbach's unborn child.

Well good for them! I like a lot of their news but that was REALLY shoddy reporting, especially trying to disconnect the pregnancy from a possible rape as proof that she wasn't raped...yeeeesh!

oceanblueeyes
04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
"Laurean's wife, Lance Cpl. Christina Laurean, also visited him in the Onslow County Jail, McNeil said."

Well this makes me think they are still an item. I don't think she will testify against Laurean. Imo, he will not want her too and she doesn't want to either.

I read on another site she also took their little daughter to see her father in jail.

imo

SewingDeb
04-23-2009, 12:05 AM
She also visited him in the mexican jail not too long ago.

passionflower
04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
I am glad he is back to face justice! What a horrible crime.He is a Marine and he killed a marine shouldn't he be court marshalled and then tried by the state for the death of the baby?

I agree! I feel the USMC might be harder on him after all the press they got from the rape thing! And not protecting Maria.

Wonder if wife is by his side during this or does she have a new life?
I always wondered about her involvement. Storing a body in garage,
painting the room, burying Maria in a pit in the back yard..............

lizzybeth
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
This is the first that I've heard that the baby wasn't Laurean's. So I wonder if he was angry with her because he thought she was pregnant with his child or because she was pregnant with anther man's child? I do think I remember reading that they were an item and attending gatherings together, so he must have felt something for her, Even if it was only as a possession.

I've been trying to follow along but left for a while when he was in Mexico as there didn't seem to be any news.

I'm glad he had to wear a bullet proof vest to court. I hope he poops his pants every time he has to walk into a courtroom. While I wish he was eligible for the death penalty, living in fear is the next best thing.

JMO

oceanblueeyes
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM

State criminal laws in NC does not recognize Gabriel's death. By state law he can only be charged in the death of Maria. Sheriff Ed Brown is trying to appeal to the NC lawmakers to change that law.

Usually the military will not get involved in state cases. Had these crimes happened on base then they would have jurisdiction but it happened off base in Jacksonville where local LE have full jurisdiction.

imo

oceanblueeyes
04-23-2009, 02:59 PM
This is the first that I've heard that the baby wasn't Laurean's. So I wonder if he was angry with her because he thought she was pregnant with his child or because she was pregnant with anther man's child? I do think I remember reading that they were an item and attending gatherings together, so he must have felt something for her, Even if it was only as a possession.

I've been trying to follow along but left for a while when he was in Mexico as there didn't seem to be any news.

I'm glad he had to wear a bullet proof vest to court. I hope he poops his pants every time he has to walk into a courtroom. While I wish he was eligible for the death penalty, living in fear is the next best thing.

JMO

I really don't know his motivation. The most puzzling thing for me to this day is why she came to his home on her own free will.

Who really knows......but maybe he couldn't let go of his rage if he knew he hadn't raped her or knew he wasn't the father of her child. Maybe he raged that his Marine Corps career had been ruined by these allegations. This had been lingering for months on end and he probably had anger and hatred building for a very long time.

imo

oceanblueeyes
04-23-2009, 03:02 PM
I agree! I feel the USMC might be harder on him after all the press they got from the rape thing! And not protecting Maria.

Wonder if wife is by his side during this or does she have a new life?
I always wondered about her involvement. Storing a body in garage,
painting the room, burying Maria in a pit in the back yard..............

I think the Marine Corps wants him out and disconnected from them for good.

I read an article that stated he has agreed and is going to sign discharge papers. I am sure it will be a dishonorable discharge due to being AWOL.

imoo

6angels
04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
He's not the father? well thats a shocker to me. I always figured he was.

STEADFAST
04-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes. The same woman who conveniently gave Cesar enough time to get out of the country. The same woman who should be charged right along beside him, imo.

The same woman who "didn't notice" her bloodstained walls -- even when she helped re-paint them.

SewingDeb
04-24-2009, 03:58 PM
He's not the father? well thats a shocker to me. I always figured he was.

A correction with link was posted above:

lonetraveler
04-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Wonder if Cesar's attorney will point the finger at Christina for the murder and she will point her finger back at Cesar and then they will both refuse to testify against eachother????

panthera
04-24-2009, 09:20 PM
"Laurean's wife, Lance Cpl. Christina Laurean, also visited him in the Onslow County Jail, McNeil said."

Well this makes me think they are still an item. I don't think she will testify against Laurean. Imo, he will not want her too and she doesn't want to either.

I read on another site she also took their little daughter to see her father in jail.

imo
Here's what really gets me. Maria's burned & decomposing body (and that of her unborn child) are in a "fire pit" in the Laureans' back yard. There is blood evidence in the house and garage, showing that she was killed at their home. What reasonable woman would still be standing beside her husband ~ unless she also had part in the crime? In my opinion, by her own actions in supporting him, she's condoning what he did ~ Maria didn't bury herself and set herself on fire post-mortem. :mad: MOO

panthera
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Wonder if Cesar's attorney will point the finger at Christina for the murder and she will point her finger back at Cesar and then they will both refuse to testify against eachother????
I don't think it would be too far from the truth for the defense to point that finger. ;) MOO

oceanblueeyes
04-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Here's what really gets me. Maria's burned & decomposing body (and that of her unborn child) are in a "fire pit" in the Laureans' back yard. There is blood evidence in the house and garage, showing that she was killed at their home. What reasonable woman would still be standing beside her husband ~ unless she also had part in the crime? In my opinion, by her own actions in supporting him, she's condoning what he did ~ Maria didn't bury herself and set herself on fire post-mortem. :mad: MOO

I certainly believe you are right and I am still not convinced she didn't have a hand in this. It is the job of the DA and LE to promote they have a strong airtight case but we will see.

I just don't think any woman could be that oblivious to everything around her. I just don't. But I have seen men and women both be in total denial and will stand by their man or woman. Don't understand it myself but I do know it happens.

BTW/Nice to see you. :blowkiss:

imo

Amster
04-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Well this is certainly confusing....is he the father or not??

Tom'sGirl
04-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Well this is certainly confusing....is he the father or not??
I don't think the results have been confirmed one way or the other. That will probably come out at the trial.

panthera
04-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I certainly believe you are right and I am still not convinced she didn't have a hand in this. It is the job of the DA and LE to promote they have a strong airtight case but we will see.

I just don't think any woman could be that oblivious to everything around her. I just don't. But I have seen men and women both be in total denial and will stand by their man or woman. Don't understand it myself but I do know it happens.

BTW/Nice to see you. :blowkiss:

imo
It's nice to see you again too, ocean! :blowkiss: I'll certainly agree people can be oblivious but this woman is supposed to be a Marine herself, so I don't see her as a battered wife who can't see herself living without him. That's one huge reason I can't see her staying with him unless she at least took part in covering up the crime ~ and if she did ~ she's just as bad as he is, imo. It's not like there's much question that someone in the house killed Maria with her burned remains being in the back yard. MOO

Tom'sGirl
04-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Gag order issued in Laurean case (http://www.enctoday.com/articles/laurean_63915_jdn__article.html/county_order.html)
ENC Today - Jacksonville,NC,USA
An Onslow County judge has issued a gag order in the Cesar Laurean case, according to court documents made public today.

LaLaw2000
05-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Well, at least Laurean is back in North Carolina! The gag order just guarantees that we will know nothing until trial - whenever that may be. I wonder when?

panthera
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, at least Laurean is back in North Carolina! The gag order just guarantees that we will know nothing until trial - whenever that may be. I wonder when?
I'd guess early next year. :)

KR2tonenow
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Didn't they do a DNA test when the bodies were discovered, or did we all just assume the baby was his:confused:

oceanblueeyes
05-02-2009, 05:47 PM
It's nice to see you again too, ocean! :blowkiss: I'll certainly agree people can be oblivious but this woman is supposed to be a Marine herself, so I don't see her as a battered wife who can't see herself living without him. That's one huge reason I can't see her staying with him unless she at least took part in covering up the crime ~ and if she did ~ she's just as bad as he is, imo. It's not like there's much question that someone in the house killed Maria with her burned remains being in the back yard. MOO

You are absolutely right and I think McNeil is going to try to throw in reasonable doubt about who really was the one that killed Maria. Laurean has already admitted that he buried her there.

If LE found no forensic evidence on the crowbar and it may have been cleaned before handing it back to the friend, then I expect that they will have a high powered expert on the defense's side that will come in and state in their opinion the fracture to Maria's head were done after she had died and was due to the heat. Also the ME could not say with certainty that the slash to Maria's throat was done after death so, imoo, McNeil will have an expert say it happened before Maria died to tie in with the suicide theory.

I just don't visualize her as a battered woman. The Marine Corps was everything to Laurean. The Marine Corps is coming down hard on those who commit domestic violence and imo, Laurean would not want any blemish on his record. Before this happened he was an outstanding Marine who had already been meritoriously promoted.

So for me that leaves two options when it comes to Christina. She is really that dumb, naive and not a very observant person even in her own home and truly believes his cock and bull story from beginning to end.

Or she stays with him because she knows too much and perhaps participated in the crime and it is much better to stay married and protected by marital privilege where it protects them both from incrimination.

imo

panthera
05-02-2009, 06:05 PM
You are absolutely right and I think McNeil is going to try to throw in reasonable doubt about who really was the one that killed Maria. Laurean has already admitted that he buried her there.

If LE found no forensic evidence on the crowbar and it may have been cleaned before handing it back to the friend, then I expect that they will have a high powered expert on the defense's side that will come in and state in their opinion the fracture to Maria's head were done after she had died and was due to the heat. Also the ME could not say with certainty that the slash to Maria's throat was done after death so, imoo, McNeil will have an expert say it happened before Maria died to tie in with the suicide theory.

I just don't visualize her as a battered woman. The Marine Corps was everything to Laurean. The Marine Corps is coming down hard on those who commit domestic violence and imo, Laurean would not want any blemish on his record. Before this happened he was an outstanding Marine who had already been meritoriously promoted.

So for me that leaves two options when it comes to Christina. She is really that dumb, naive and not a very observant person even in her own home and truly believes his cock and bull story from beginning to end.

Or she stays with him because she knows too much and perhaps participated in the crime and it is much better to stay married and protected by marital privilege where it protects them both from incrimination.

imo
I believe your last paragraph says it all ~ she can't be forced to testify against him. I also believe the defense will use any absence of evidence against Cesar to their best advantage, implying that someone else committed the crime or continue with Maria killing herself. Not that I think the suicide theory will work though, unless they insert the fear that both Laureans would have of being connected to her death as the reason she was buried in the back yard. MOO

oceanblueeyes
05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Didn't they do a DNA test when the bodies were discovered, or did we all just assume the baby was his:confused:

They have to have a DNA sample of Gabriel and a DNA sample of Laurean to verify if he was the father.

I have always found it very odd that they said (months later) that they were going to wait until Laurean returned to get his DNA. DNA of Laurean's was everywhere in that home. They didn't need to wait for his return. They are identifying people today by a simple strand of hair and I am sure they could have found hair samples belonging to him or an older toothbrush he had used or left behind clothing.

I think they did test and his DNA didn't match as being the father and then that is why they are saying they are going to test his DNA when he returned.

If Gabriel is not Laurean's child then that will be a big mystery why Laurean killed Maria and a child not even his.

How will McNeil use this if indeed Gabriel is not Laureans? I think if that turns out to be the case then McNeil will use it in his CIC, somehow.

The other mystery that I hope is answered is why Maria ever went to his place to begin with.

I would have felt much more comfortable if they had charged Laurean with kidnapping but they did not and there has to be a reason for that.

imoo

oceanblueeyes
05-02-2009, 06:30 PM
I believe your last paragraph says it all ~ she can't be forced to testify against him. I also believe the defense will use any absence of evidence against Cesar to their best advantage, implying that someone else committed the crime or continue with Maria killing herself. Not that I think the suicide theory will work though, unless they insert the fear that both Laureans would have of being connected to her death as the reason she was buried in the back yard. MOO

I think McNeil will continue to promote the idea that Laurean panicked when Maria killed herself (his theory not mine) and he was young and didn't know what to do and felt he would be blamed for her death. A scared 21 year old with a family and a military career.

imo

panthera
05-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I think McNeil will continue to promote the idea that Laurean panicked when Maria killed herself (his theory not mine) and he was young and didn't know what to do and felt he would be blamed for her death. A scared 21 year old with a family and a military career.

imo
I think that's what the defense will do too.

About the DNA, didn't the USMC have a DNA sample from Laurean? I remember some discussion about it and if it could be used to identify paternity. I don't remember the outcome though. :confused:

oceanblueeyes
05-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I think that's what the defense will do too.

About the DNA, didn't the USMC have a DNA sample from Laurean? I remember some discussion about it and if it could be used to identify paternity. I don't remember the outcome though. :confused:

Yes, they do. That has been standard protocol for quite a few years now. Our son's DNA was taken. Iirc, my son said his is on file in Washington, D.C.

BUT they are very reluctant to give these samples to anyone since they are only taken for the purpose of being able to identify them in case they are casualties of war.

DNA can be obtained by the State just as easily. They had lots of samples to pick from in the home he regularly lived in. The military really rarely gets involved in State tried cases. They only reason that they did the second autopsy on Maria and Gabriel was she was a Marine also.

imo

panthera
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, they do. That has been standard protocol for quite a few years now. Our son's DNA was taken. Iirc, my son said his is on file in Washington, D.C.

BUT they are very reluctant to give these samples to anyone since they are only taken for the purpose of being able to identify them in case they are casualties of war.

DNA can be obtained by the State just as easily. They had lots of samples to pick from in the home he regularly lived in. The military really rarely gets involved in State tried cases. They only reason that they did the second autopsy on Maria and Gabriel was she was a Marine also.

imo
Thanks for the info! I'd just forgotten if his DNA that was already on file had been used but I can also see the reasoning not to for paternity testing ~ just in case it would be needed to identify Cesar himself.

waltzingmatilda
05-13-2009, 08:15 AM
The judge lifted the gag order in the case.

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=10281178&nav=menu157_2

Jadenn
05-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I live in Jacksonville, NC and have been surprised by the lack of press coverage now that he is back in town and the case is progressing.

We had one local story about the gag order and then one local story about the gag order being lifted. Other than that, I haven't heard anything new.

I don't know if this has been talked about, but they did put his house up for auction. Apparently, one person showed up for the auction and immediately decided their asking price was far too high.

Tom'sGirl
05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Cesar Laurean arraignment delayed (http://www.wnct.com/nct/news/local/article/cesar_laurean_arraignment_delayed/37320/)
WNCT - Greenville,NC,USA

Published: May 14, 2009

Cesar Laurean’s next court date has been pushed back.
The State and the defense agreed to reschedule the Marine’s arraignment from May 18 to June 8 in Onslow County Superior Court.

waltzingmatilda
05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
***B R E A K I N G N E W S***
Per wect.com, 5-15-09, 6pm newscast

Forensic results show that Corporal Cesar Laurean is not the father of Maria's unborn child!

I'll provide a linK for you all when the story is posted to the website.

Wow! I am shocked!

Tom'sGirl
05-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Forensic results show that Corporal Cesar Laurean is not the father of Maria's unborn child!

Wow! I am shocked!
http://www.wect.com/global/story.asp?s=10370813

panthera
05-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Wow! I am shocked!
I'm not all that shocked but now I am definitely wondering if Laurean knew at the time of Maria's death that the baby wasn't his. :waitasec:

Tom'sGirl
05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm not all that shocked but now I am definitely wondering if Laurean knew at the time of Maria's death that the baby wasn't his. :waitasec:
He may have found out that day???

panthera
05-15-2009, 10:26 PM
He may have found out that day???
This is what I'm trying to figure out! It would be simple if he believed the baby to be his, to come up with a motive ~ avoid child support and preserve his marriage. If he knew the child wasn't his, then was it rage at her having lied to him previously? Or???:waitasec:

Tom'sGirl
05-15-2009, 10:45 PM
This is what I'm trying to figure out! It would be simple if he believed the baby to be his, to come up with a motive ~ avoid child support and preserve his marriage. If he knew the child wasn't his, then was it rage at her having lied to him previously? Or???:waitasec:
Some where among all the posts from last year I speculated that she went to CAL's house to tell him he wasn't the father of her child.

lilpony
05-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Wow this is huge!! Not the father oh her child. Wish more info would come out. Can't wait for the trial. Wonder who the father is??:confused:
Wonder when he did find this information out, or maybe he didn't even know that when he killed her.

waltzingmatilda
05-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Link to Fox news story

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520373,00.html

waltzingmatilda
05-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I am looking forward to this trial. I too wonder who fathered Maria's unborn child. I hope Maria's family receives justice for her brutal murder. So SICK that she was found in that BBQ pit!

Jadenn
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Link to local story at jdnews.com

http://www.jdnews.com/news/marine-64180-laurean-camp.html

panthera
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Some where among all the posts from last year I speculated that she went to CAL's house to tell him he wasn't the father of her child.
That theory is making a lot more sense now! She'd gone to the bus station, was going to be heading to El Paso, and went to tell CL ~ and all h*ll broke loose. MOO

Tom'sGirl
05-16-2009, 06:12 PM
That theory is making a lot more sense now! She'd gone to the bus station, was going to be heading to El Paso, and went to tell CL ~ and all h*ll broke loose. MOO
I do wonder if these details will come out at trial and what the connection to El Paso was???

To my knowledge it has never been determined as fact that the unborn child was a boy, early reports had said a girl.

panthera
05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I do wonder if these details will come out at trial and what the connection to El Paso was???

To my knowledge it has never been determined as fact that the unborn child was a boy, early reports had said a girl.
I just wonder if there is anyone who can explain the El Paso connection or it was something only Maria knew.

I'm really going to have to go back and re-read what came out shortly after the autopsy as to the condition of the fetus' remains. However I do remember that the name "Gabriel" had been given to the baby so it seems Maria had already had an ultrasound or knew the sex of the baby. :) MOO

Tom'sGirl
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I just wonder if there is anyone who can explain the El Paso connection or it was something only Maria knew.

I'm really going to have to go back and re-read what came out shortly after the autopsy as to the condition of the fetus' remains. However I do remember that the name "Gabriel" had been given to the baby so it seems Maria had already had an ultrasound or knew the sex of the baby. :) MOO
This was from an article I saved:

As the search widened for her suspected murderer, Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean, initial autopsy results on Lauterbach's burned body, found buried in a North Carolina field, indicate that Lauterbach was eight-months pregnant with a baby girl, the official said.

Earlier reports from Lauterbach's hometown in Ohio had said the unborn baby was a boy, to be named Gabriel Joseph.

She had told her family she believed her unborn child was a boy based on an early sonogram. Officials say a second autopsy will be conducted by the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4155874&page=1

panthera
05-16-2009, 07:09 PM
This was from an article I saved:

As the search widened for her suspected murderer, Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean, initial autopsy results on Lauterbach's burned body, found buried in a North Carolina field, indicate that Lauterbach was eight-months pregnant with a baby girl, the official said.

Earlier reports from Lauterbach's hometown in Ohio had said the unborn baby was a boy, to be named Gabriel Joseph.

She had told her family she believed her unborn child was a boy based on an early sonogram. Officials say a second autopsy will be conducted by the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4155874&page=1

Wow ~ thanks for saving that!

I also noticed an error in the article, which states her body was found in a field and in actuality it was Laurean's back yard.

fran
05-16-2009, 08:11 PM
OK, so let me get this straight............In April, the AP gave a misreport that Maria's child was NOT in fact Caesar's and then they retracted that statement as incorrect. (Which btw, I believe I said it was wrong from what had been reported to that date)

Now the AP has been leaked DNA tests completed as of May 7th, by the Army, that the child is NOT Caesar's.:slap:

Something is wrong with this picture.:rolleyes:

What is the Army doing LEAKING personal medical information?:confused:
Isn't there a law or something?:eek:

Why is that pertinent?:mad:

Caesar Laurean is NOT on trial for being the father of Maria's baby and he's NOT on trial for RAPE.:crazy:

I believe the charge is MURDER!!!!!!:furious:

IF the trial was in California, it'd be DOUBLE MURDER, eligible for the Death Penalty.:behindbar

Obviously, Mr. Laurean had a problem with Maria or he wouldn't have killed her and her unborn child and he wouldn't have burned her body two, three times!!!!!!!:chicken:

Forget the cra* and get the trial on the road.

ggrrrr
IMHO
fran

PS........I believe Maria's parents need to consult an attorney ASAP....The Army may be in violation of the law by leaking the medical records of their murdered daughter and grandchild to the press. AP needs to be taken down a notch or two. They are not exempt from the law...:furious:...fran

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/5155972/

AP: Laurean not father of slain Marine's child

oceanblueeyes
05-17-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/16/marine.slaying/index.html

Suspect in pregnant Marine's death not father of unborn child.

From Susan Candiotti
CNN

(CNN) -- The Marine accused of killing Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, who was more than eight months pregnant, was not the father of her unborn child, a law enforcement source close to the murder investigation said Saturday.

Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean, 22, who is being held on a murder charge, is scheduled for arraignment in June.

The source, who has seen a report completed earlier this month by the Defense Department's Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, said Cpl. Cesar Laurean's DNA does not match that of the unborn child, who also died.

Laurean and Lauterbach were stationed at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina

oceanblueeyes
05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
OK, so let me get this straight............In April, the AP gave a misreport that Maria's child was NOT in fact Caesar's and then they retracted that statement as incorrect. (Which btw, I believe I said it was wrong from what had been reported to that date)

Now the AP has been leaked DNA tests completed as of May 7th, by the Army, that the child is NOT Caesar's.:slap:

Something is wrong with this picture.:rolleyes:

What is the Army doing LEAKING personal medical information?:confused:
Isn't there a law or something?:eek:

Why is that pertinent?:mad:

Caesar Laurean is NOT on trial for being the father of Maria's baby and he's NOT on trial for RAPE.:crazy:

I believe the charge is MURDER!!!!!!:furious:

IF the trial was in California, it'd be DOUBLE MURDER, eligible for the Death Penalty.:behindbar

Obviously, Mr. Laurean had a problem with Maria or he wouldn't have killed her and her unborn child and he wouldn't have burned her body two, three times!!!!!!!:chicken:

Forget the cra* and get the trial on the road.

ggrrrr
IMHO
fran

PS........I believe Maria's parents need to consult an attorney ASAP....The Army may be in violation of the law by leaking the medical records of their murdered daughter and grandchild to the press. AP needs to be taken down a notch or two. They are not exempt from the law...:furious:...fran

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/5155972/

AP: Laurean not father of slain Marine's child

Actually Fran the military pathologists must turnover this evidence to the State's jurisdiction in Onslow county. I am sure the DA went through the proper protocol to get these records. It wasn't the Army but the Armed Services which does this type of testing for all of the entire defense branches including Laurean and Maria who were both Marines.

This is not anything new. A reporter right there in Jacksonville, NC stated about 9 months ago that a source within the FBI had told him that they did not believe that Laurean was the father of Gabriel. I am sure Maria's family were aware of it even before it has now been confirmed by the AP and CNN.

To answer your question. "Why is that pertinent?:mad:" IMO, it will be very pertinent as the case comes to trial. Both sides knows a case doesn't just begin and end when there has been a murder. There is much too learn about Laurean and Maria as well to show how this day came about and ended in this result.

While motive is not legally required I think most jurors do expect the DA to explain the case fully to them and why they think he did this and I do think they expect the defense to put on a case showing their theory. I do think McNeil will use this information in the trial.

Personally I think Laurean knew all along that Gabriel wasn't his. It does muddy the case some, imo, because if Gabriel wasn't his then why would he kill Maria?

With Laurean telling Chirstina that he did not have sexual contact with Maria then it only bolsters why she is sticking by him knowing Gabriel was not his, just like he told her all along.

The most intriguing news about this though to me is Gabriel does have a biological father out there somewhere yet he never stepped up to claim his own son. I remember at the very beginning of this case rumblings about "an officer". I wonder if Gabriel belongs to someone of power in the Corps. Someone in their own unit. Someone who may have sat up the whole scenario of the rape allegations. Someone who made sure that Laurean and Lauterbach were placed together alone on night duty.

This case is so intriguing to me. So many things unknown at this time.

I have never thought this was a premeditated case. No one premeditates a crime carefully and then buries the body in their own backyard when there is thousands of remote wooded acres all around them to discard the body some place else. The aftermath shows panic, immaturity and sloppy disorganization, imo. I still continue to think this was a crime of passion that erupted when these two got together inside his home when she came back the second time.

Even the one blow to the head is highly unusual for bludgeoning cases imo. Usually if a blunt instrument is used there will be multiple blows to the head but the ME did not say she died from multiple blunt force trauma but listed it as blunt force trauma which was the blow to the side of her head in the temporal area.

So I do hope we learn the full story of what transpired between Laurean and Maria all those many months before this happened.

imo

oceanblueeyes
05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Gag order issued in Laurean case (http://www.enctoday.com/articles/laurean_63915_jdn__article.html/county_order.html)
ENC Today - Jacksonville,NC,USA
An Onslow County judge has issued a gag order in the Cesar Laurean case, according to court documents made public today.

I guess he changed his mind.

After all he had let the DA and LE hold PCs very frequently and couldn't fairly tell McNeil he couldn't speak out now since Laurean is back.

thefragile7393
05-17-2009, 04:23 PM
With Laurean telling Chirstina that he did not have sexual contact with Maria then it only bolsters why she is sticking by him knowing Gabriel was not his, just like he told her all along.

Respectfully, it dosn't mean that he didn't have sexual contact with her at some point however, it just means that he's not the father of her child. Unfortunately this can't be proven now, unles he confesses, as she dropped the accusations (not uncommon sadly, if she was telling the truth).

oceanblueeyes
05-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Respectfully, it doesn't mean that he didn't have sexual contact with her at some point however, it just means that he's not the father of her child. Unfortunately this can't be proven now, unless he confesses, as she dropped the accusations (not uncommon sadly, if she was telling the truth).

What I meant is with him not being the father of Gabriel only supports Christina's belief in him that he did not have sexual contact with Maria. I think Christina believes every word Laurean has told her and that is why she has stood by him and is continuing to do so.

She did not drop her allegations. She only redacted the story about him being the father of her child.

imo

lonetraveler
05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't see any relevancy between the charge of murder and the fact that he is not the father of the murdered baby. IMO, Cesar thought that he was the father and also thought that the s*** was about to hit the fan if she were allowed to have the baby and "prove" that he had indeed had sex with her, willingly or not willingly on her part. This fact alone would have disproved everything that he told his wife concerning the rape, since he told her that he had never had sex with Lauterbach. It really doesn't matter if he is the father or not, as long as he thought he was at the time of the murder. His motive IMO was to remove her from his life before she delivered the baby and had paternity tests done, he believed this so strongly that he committed the murder and buried her and built a BBQ pit over her. To me, that points to a real strong belief that the baby could be his. I bet he is really sick to his stomach to find out that if he had only waited and taken the paternity test he would have gone on with his lie about having sex with her. He murdered her just to save his own sorry hide.

oceanblueeyes
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't see why Laurean had to know or even thought that Gabriel was his. There is no evidence that he knew or thought he was the father. For 8 long months all of this went on and he never missed a day of work even knowing that Maria was first accusing him for months of being the father of her child. Even went on vacation and came back just like he always did.

He may not be the sharpest tool in the drawer but his wife had been pregnant before and he knows a pregnancy lasts 9 months not 10. Maria had already cleared him of being the father because she knew he wasn't and that was way back the first of November. Again, he did all the duties he was supposed to preform. Not one bit of interaction between the two ever happened until the very day she came to his home and then was killed.

Now I do say this, CL and CL alone knew if that child was his or not from day one. So if he knew all of this was just another falsehood put out by Maria for months then he would have simmering anger that the allegations, even though he was never charged, robbed him of his career, caused problems between him and his wife and he may have lured Maria to his home because he had a vendetta against her and had a lot of rage against her.

I do think it will become very relevant in the trial. It shows Maria falsely accused him for months when Gabriel was not his child all along.

McNeil said he was not the least bit surprised to learn Gabriel wasn't Laurean's. Sounds like he expected all along that he wasn't. He did say he was glad that it was released so that it would quell some of the rumors.

I think there are more rumors he will put to rest at trial also.

If Laurean was trying to get rid of Gabriel he could have removed him from the womb and he sure wouldn't have left him inside of his mother and buried them in his own backyard, imo.

imo

thefragile7393
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't see any relevancy between the charge of murder and the fact that he is not the father of the murdered baby. IMO, Cesar thought that he was the father and also thought that the s*** was about to hit the fan if she were allowed to have the baby and "prove" that he had indeed had sex with her, willingly or not willingly on her part. This fact alone would have disproved everything that he told his wife concerning the rape, since he told her that he had never had sex with Lauterbach. It really doesn't matter if he is the father or not, as long as he thought he was at the time of the murder. His motive IMO was to remove her from his life before she delivered the baby and had paternity tests done, he believed this so strongly that he committed the murder and buried her and built a BBQ pit over her. To me, that points to a real strong belief that the baby could be his. I bet he is really sick to his stomach to find out that if he had only waited and taken the paternity test he would have gone on with his lie about having sex with her. He murdered her just to save his own sorry hide.
What you say makes the most sense to me, my bolding of a particular point I like. It dosn't make sense that he would kill her if he knew for sure that he wasn't the father. It just dosn't. It's obviously not impossible, but this seems to be a killing with rage or at the very least a certain brutalness to it--an emotional aspect to it, at least to me. If he knew for sure he wasn't the father, aka never had any contact with her, why kill her? Why kill her while she was pregnant? Eventually the story would come out, stuff would blow over, a test would take place and prove he wasn't the father.....eventually, at some point, life would go on. Even if he had a murderous rage, why take it out on a child? Unless he had a vested interest, aka he thought there was a chance he was the father.

Most pregnant women that are killed are killed by someone close to them, almost always a husband, a boyfriend, a former lover. Unless the rape accusation was true, or if they did have consensual contact, then IMO he thought there was a darn good chance that baby was his, his house of lies would fall, stuff would really hit the fan, and he had to get rid of it. This really is the most "logical" to me in my opinion.

LaLaw2000
06-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I just saw footage on HLN of Cesar on his way to court today. Of course he pled 'not guilty'.

raisincharlie
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.enctoday.com/news/laurean-64680-jdn-court-murder.html

"Mr. Laurean pleads not guilty," Laurean's attorney Dick McNeil told the court. Laurean remained silent throughout the brief hearing Monday afternoon.
Both parties in the case agreed on a July 20 pre-trial conference where motions and a tentative trial date will be set.
March 15, 2010, was suggested by the prosecution for the beginning of the trial. McNeil said he is still collecting evidence through trial discovery and had a lot of work to do, but he should be ready by then.

oceanblueeyes
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
What you say makes the most sense to me, my bolding of a particular point I like. It doesn't make sense that he would kill her if he knew for sure that he wasn't the father. It just doesn't. It's obviously not impossible, but this seems to be a killing with rage or at the very least a certain brutalness to it--an emotional aspect to it, at least to me. If he knew for sure he wasn't the father, aka never had any contact with her, why kill her? Why kill her while she was pregnant? Eventually the story would come out, stuff would blow over, a test would take place and prove he wasn't the father.....eventually, at some point, life would go on. Even if he had a murderous rage, why take it out on a child? Unless he had a vested interest, aka he thought there was a chance he was the father.

Most pregnant women that are killed are killed by someone close to them, almost always a husband, a boyfriend, a former lover. Unless the rape accusation was true, or if they did have consensual contact, then IMO he thought there was a darn good chance that baby was his, his house of lies would fall, stuff would really hit the fan, and he had to get rid of it. This really is the most "logical" to me in my opinion.

I really don't think murder ever makes much sense and this one certainly has many twists and turns. Even DA Hudson said as much.

For Hudson to put forth that theory to the jury he has to have a good faith basis for doing so. I just do not see how he is going to prove to that jury that Laurean "thought" the child was his. Everything that we know speaks to the opposite. At the very first of the rape allegation he offered to take a LDT and he stated he had had no sexual contact with Maria. That was over a year and a half ago. Still to this day with Gabriel belonging to a mysterious Mr. Whomever it reinforces his statement he first made.

I don't really know what happened in this very puzzling case. It is one of the most intriguing I have kept up with in the last few years. There are so many things that are mind boggling in this case and it is those unknowns I hope we learn.

Why would an accuser go to the home of the man she had accused of rape? Why go there twice? Why go there at all? She wasn't kidnapped or they would have tacked on those charges also. I have racked my brain trying to think of one other case where an accuser went to the house of their alleged rapist willingly. I can't think of one other one.

I do think the unknown father will become relevant in this case. Did CL know he was a scapegoat for the real father? Does he know who the father really is? Why would a man not claim is own child? The only logical reason to me is this man is very much married and possibly as Mary Lauterbach said her daughter told her he was a superior officer. It is even written on the missing person report from the local police "incident with a superior officer" (paraphrasing)

So I really don't know what happened. He may have had such anger against her because she had falsely accused him.... ruining his career and hurting his marriage but he didnt make her come there. So it still does not explain why Lauterbach would come to his own home in the first place knowing he was all alone there. She had to travel miles in her own vehicle to go to his home. That part is what is totally illogical.

imo

panthera
06-08-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.enctoday.com/news/laurean-64680-jdn-court-murder.html

"Mr. Laurean pleads not guilty," Laurean's attorney Dick McNeil told the court. Laurean remained silent throughout the brief hearing Monday afternoon.
Both parties in the case agreed on a July 20 pre-trial conference where motions and a tentative trial date will be set.
March 15, 2010, was suggested by the prosecution for the beginning of the trial. McNeil said he is still collecting evidence through trial discovery and had a lot of work to do, but he should be ready by then.
Thanks so much for the update! I've been following another case right now and completely forgot about his court appearance today. At least it doesn't appear the defense is trying to stall and delay the trial. That's a good sign! MOO

LaLaw2000
06-30-2009, 09:07 AM
March 15, 2010 seems so far away. At least there will be pre-trial hearing in July.

I think of Maria and little Gabriel often and simply cannot wait to see justice for them although it will never be enough because it cannot bring them back.