PDA

View Full Version : MD MD - Lorraine "Lori" Zimmerman, 15, Hagerstown, April 1984

UMfanforever
05-01-2009, 05:40 AM
As you can tell from my screenname, I'm a big fan of the show Unsolved Mysteries. The case of Lori Zimmerman was profiled in 1990 on Unsolved Mysteries as part of a larger feature on psychic (now deceased) Dorothy Allison. She had a hit and miss record according to the New York Times , frequently naming irrelevant/inaccurate things, sometimes naming several suspects that did not exist. The segment from Unsolved is now up on YouTube under Dorothy Allison.

There is nothing on the web about this case, which has not been solved as of 2009, except for the Maryland State Police website, so I thought I'd add a thread here for it.

According to Lori Zimmerman's cousin on the Unsolved Mysteries board, the police did not take her case seriously at first because they thought she was a run-away. As of June 2008, her cousin said that it still remained unsolved.

I have included screencaps of Lori - these are from the 1990 segment , which is not of the best quality. Being that she was 15 in 1984, that would have made her birthdate in 1969.

Here is info on Lori Zimmerman.

LORI ZIMMERMAN
(LORRAINE ZIMMERMAN)

Lorraine (nmi) Zimmerman
Case #: P-64-04364

Age / Sex / Race: 15 / Female / White Location of Homicide: Wooded area off Reno Monument Road, 3.6 miles South of Boonsboro

County: Washington Date / Time: 4 / 6 / 1984

Cause of Death: Strangulation

Details: Lori Zimmerman had ridden the school bus home from high school 04-06-1984. She had stopped at a friend’s home for about 10 minutes then left. Ms. Zimmerman did not come home that evening. Friends were contacted and they denied having seen Lori. Lori’s mother filed a missing persons report with the Hagerstown Police Department. On 04-14-1984 two persons walking in a wooded area off Reno Monument road discovered the partially clothed body of Lori Zimmerman. Death was attributed to manual strangulation.

Investigator: Detective Sergeant John Cook
Maryland State Police - Cold Case Unit
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, Maryland 21208
410-290-0050
jgcook@mdsp.org

http://www.mdsp.org/hsib/cold_case_details.asp?identifier=63

:+:MrTT:+:
05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
As you can tell from my screenname, I'm a big fan of the show Unsolved Mysteries. The case of Lori Zimmerman was profiled in 1990 on Unsolved Mysteries as part of a larger feature on psychic (now deceased) Dorothy Allison. She had a hit and miss record according to the New York Times , frequently naming irrelevant/inaccurate things, sometimes naming several suspects that did not exist. The segment from Unsolved is now up on YouTube under Dorothy Allison.

There is nothing on the web about this case, which has not been solved as of 2009, except for the Maryland State Police website, so I thought I'd add a thread here for it.

According to Lori Zimmerman's cousin on the Unsolved Mysteries board, the police did not take her case seriously at first because they thought she was a run-away. As of June 2008, her cousin said that it still remained unsolved.

I have included screencaps of Lori - these are from the 1990 segment , which is not of the best quality. Being that she was 15 in 1984, that would have made her birthdate in 1969.

Here is info on Lori Zimmerman.

LORI ZIMMERMAN
(LORRAINE ZIMMERMAN)

Lorraine (nmi) Zimmerman
Case #: P-64-04364

Age / Sex / Race: 15 / Female / White Location of Homicide: Wooded area off Reno Monument Road, 3.6 miles South of Boonsboro

County: Washington Date / Time: 4 / 6 / 1984

Cause of Death: Strangulation

Details: Lori Zimmerman had ridden the school bus home from high school 04-06-1984. She had stopped at a friend’s home for about 10 minutes then left. Ms. Zimmerman did not come home that evening. Friends were contacted and they denied having seen Lori. Lori’s mother filed a missing persons report with the Hagerstown Police Department. On 04-14-1984 two persons walking in a wooded area off Reno Monument road discovered the partially clothed body of Lori Zimmerman. Death was attributed to manual strangulation.

Investigator: Detective Sergeant John Cook
Maryland State Police - Cold Case Unit
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, Maryland 21208
410-290-0050
jgcook@mdsp.org

http://www.mdsp.org/hsib/cold_case_details.asp?identifier=63

QUOTE...The case of Lori Zimmerman was profiled in 1990 on Unsolved Mysteries as part of a larger feature on psychic (now deceased) Dorothy Allison. She had a hit and miss record according to the New York Times , frequently naming irrelevant/inaccurate things, sometimes naming several suspects that did not exist. The segment from Unsolved is now up on YouTube under Dorothy Allison....END OF QUOTE

...................I miss her........Dorothy Allison....i was and still am a admirer of hers.....even though at times Dorothy had so called hit and misses....the thing i admired about her .......... it was those times she was correct that kept her going, she knew , at times, that to offer correct information, when asked , to supply that correct information, she may have to offer incorrect information, unbeknown to her at the time, ........she would only get involved at times, on certain cases, when asked, especially by a family member on the case she was being asked to get involved in, for she knew that just getting involved when not ask, could do more harm, or no good at all,........ she was not a detective, just a reciever of spiritual information, so at times, it was up to LE to decide what connected, and what didnot connect, from the information she supplied after her interpretation, of what spirit had shown her, and she knew better then most, a blood family member, would be able to validate, confirm possible information as correct or not, when others, especially LE would discount it as having no meaning, but a family mmember could make that connection, that LE couldnot. ..... it was up to LE to either validate through confirmation of the information she gave, as to wether it applied or not, for at times LE didnot give Dorothy everything they had about a case..., if asked by the family, Dorothy would gladly get involved when she could...for there was/ is a blood connection, a direct link to the person, on the case she may had been working on at the time.....she understood, that one is only as good as ones interpretation of what they are being showed by spirit, as to whether or not it is accurate information and pertaining to the case he or she may be working on at the time.....and at times, she may had been recieveing information on another case, instead of the one presently at hand at the time......she knew, when working on a case, there would be times the things she seen, was showned from spirit, the information she recieved from spirit, may or may not pertain to the case she was working on........but she would supply that information anyways, regardless if she was enterpreting the information correctly or not....that is what i admired the most about her, it wasnt about being right all the time, but having the understanding and acceptance one would be wrong at times, because of misinterpretation of what one is being shown from spirit........ ,,,,,,,,,,it was about trying to help slove a case she was working on,and not being right all the time..........for she knew, that even though there would be things that did pertain to the case, there would be pieces of the puzzle there, somewhere that perhaps would connect, either by LE, or a family member themselves ..........spirit at times, will change things, or add or remove things.....that would change what she had thought was an accurate enterpretation.......for example, a case she would be working on, she would see a bouquet of red roses.......the way it was presented to her, would indicate that it had something to do with the case she was working on, so she would give that information..............only to find out later perhaps, over time when it would reappear, that it had nothing to do with the case, it was spirits way of just saying hello to her.........but being the person she was/is it didnt bother her in posting the information, only to find out later perhaps it had no meaning to the case..................that is what was going on with her at times, when its reported about her hit and miss information..........there are some persons out there, whom are only concernd about being right most of the time, and wont for a reason be honest and admit that not all information given will apply to a case..Not Dorthy, she understood this, and it didnot bother her at all, about being wrong with her interpretation of what she was being showned, for she knew in the end, there would be things she interpreted correctly, that would help slove some of the cases she was working on.......and i love her for that honesty...RIP Dorthy,and i truely miss and shall love you always..........

05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIrulalzrno

here is the link to the you tube video.
the video is poor, and the sound not very good.......but its still OK
just keep in mind, when watching or reading about Dorothy........

there were times when she KNEW what she was seeing came from spirit, there were times when she KNEW what she was seeing came from herself, and there were times when what she was seeing was the 50/50 equation......meaning not sure if it came from spirit or herself in her visions, but she was one of the best at determining which was which...........i wish she was here today, to help on some of this cold cases.......i would take her 50/50 any day!!

UMfanforever
05-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Just sad that this case gets absolutely no attention. NO articles whatsoever in any newspapers ..ever.

UMfanforever
06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
bumpinggg

UMfanforever
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Can't anyone help look into this??

UMfanforever
07-09-2009, 08:51 PM
BUmping..

UMfanforever
07-15-2009, 07:47 AM
bumpybumpbump

SoccerMom
07-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm sorry that I don't have any information to help you, but I wanted to let you know that I'm glad she has you to help find her killer(s).
And I too was a fan of Unsolved Mysteries. There is one story in particular that I have wondered about, but that is for another thread at another time.

UMfanforever
07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Someone has to give a damn, because apparently no one else does, not a single newspaper article on her in the archives.

UMfanforever
07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Bumpwump

UMfanforever
08-06-2009, 07:09 AM
From 1999:

"
Sgt. Otis Whitaker, with the Maryland State Police Cold Case Unit, said Wednesday that he recently reviewed the case file in the April 1984 death of 15-year-old Loraine Zimmerman. He said he expects Zimmerman's death and Goldie Elizabeth Fritz's March 1979 death to be "looked at hard" soon by cold case investigators.
State Police Detective Sgt. John Cook said the two cases have been assigned to two investigators with the homicide unit who worked in the Hagerstown barracks.
Whitaker said that with cold cases, investigators must focus on one case at a time. He said that the unit has focused recent efforts on solving a Cecil County, Md., cold case. He said police got a break in that case, but he could not go into detail about the investigation Wednesday.
King said the Hagerstown Police Department's detectives have been assigned to each of the department's three cold cases in an effort to familiarize them with the circumstances, people and facts in each case."

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=158556&format=print

UMfanforever
08-06-2009, 07:14 AM
From 2004:

"
Cook, who is one of two cold-case investigators with the Maryland State Police homicide unit in Columbia, Md., said he was in the process of investigating a few cold cases outside Washington County, but has plans to investigate the unsolved death of 15-year-old Loraine Zimmerman at the end of this year.

Zimmerman's body was found on April 14, 1984, under large pieces of cardboard weighted down by rocks 3.6 miles south of Boonsboro and about 70 yards south of Reno Monument Road. She had been beaten, raped and strangled.

Zimmerman was last seen leaving her aunt's house in downtown Hagerstown eight days before her body was found.

Cook said that police likely will reinterview witnesses in Zimmerman's case toward the end of this year.

"We have the file pulled," he said."

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=91074&format=html

UMfanforever
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I guess this will never be solved, no one else has spoken up on it

Kat
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Lori's murder will be difficult to look for to find facts because of the year she was murdered.

Not all newspapers have their archives available to search on the internet.

That means we would have to find the newspapers that published within her community, and to contact those newspapers and pay a fee to have an archival search done. If articles are found, then a fee would apply to purchase hardcopies and have them mailed to one of us.

I'm not seeing anything available at the time of the crime on the internet.

We also have some ppl here that are great with maps. Creating and posting maps of Points of interest within a case to this board. That might help us get an idea of what kind of geography we are talking here. But we have to keep in mind that many things have possibly changed since 1984.

There just isn't enough information about Lori right now out there on the internet. When I did a search of her name and the County she was found, I only found 9 entries, and the only one about her was yours.

She deserves justice. Rest in Peace Lori and I am praying that your murderer is brought to justice very soon.

08-09-2009, 09:20 PM
From 2004:

"
Cook, who is one of two cold-case investigators with the Maryland State Police homicide unit in Columbia, Md., said he was in the process of investigating a few cold cases outside Washington County, but has plans to investigate the unsolved death of 15-year-old Loraine Zimmerman at the end of this year.

Zimmerman's body was found on April 14, 1984, under large pieces of cardboard weighted down by rocks 3.6 miles south of Boonsboro and about 70 yards south of Reno Monument Road. She had been beaten, raped and strangled.

Zimmerman was last seen leaving her aunt's house in downtown Hagerstown eight days before her body was found.

Cook said that police likely will reinterview witnesses in Zimmerman's case toward the end of this year.

"We have the file pulled," he said."

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=91074&format=html

any information on the outcome of this back 2004?........any reports anywhere you know of?

as the post before this one mentioned, a map showing poi woulld help, ....i like to see a map with ...Zimmerman was last seen leaving her aunt's house in downtown Hagerstown eight days before her body was found..............a map with this house or area in downtown hagerstown, and the direction she was walking, and where she was walking to, and the last place that they found her.......

i wish we could establish a connection, with a local reporter there, whom would be kind enough to keep us updated on this case.....one whom wouuld take an interest, and check with LE on a regular baisics for updates etc, and come here and let us know...........we dont need to know everything LE has, i understand that........but if they have hit a serious roadblock in there investigation, or just have to many pieces of a puzzle, that dont fit together............they could let the reporter come here and ask a question about it.................

They have hit a roadblock, that is why this case is cold.
What is that roadblock, tell us what they are missing or unsure of or confused about............SOMETHING........

And then perhaps, we can see some things, they be over looking and or make a connection, open a new path, road for them to travel, that is what we want to do,

("We want to help LE solve this case, we are not trying to slove it for them".......)
I WISH THEY UNDERSTOOD THAT ABOUT ALL THESE COLD CASES!!

Maybe we should start a thread for NEWS-REPORTERS, and a thread for LE, to come here on there own, and post cases there working on, and leave us questions or whatever so we can offer our assistance, to help remove that road block........just an idea i have been thinking about.

08-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I guess this will never be solved, no one else has spoken up on it

we will solve it one day, once it gets moving again.
I am going to restudy the Dorthy video....that is a good piece of information, it has LE involved in it, and taking us to places of interest.

Kat
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Another suggestion is that Lori's case does not have an internet presence. Information just isn't out there.

Perhaps you could create a myspace and/or facebook page for her UMfanforever. If you do not wish to do so, let us know and perhaps someone here can create a page for her.

I think it would be good to contact the Det. and ask politely if there is a good picture of her. Also, I think it would be good to seperate the facts of the case from the psychics impressions on the page. No disrespect meant to the psychic. It's just that some ppl aren't so open to psychic impressions and may prefer to read only the facts.

In order for anyone that may have information to come forward to the LE ~~it's important for the public to see that there is an interest in Lori's murder and that the there are those that do care if justice is served.

Reminder: We must always be cautious when we approach cases like this that we do not offend the family members and we do not insert ourselves into a murder investigation. JMHO.

UMfanforever
08-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I don't really think a MySpace page is going to help .No one uses MySpace anymore anyway.

thefragile7393
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't really think a MySpace page is going to help .No one uses MySpace anymore anyway.
I still use it regularly, along with some other frends of mine. There are still people on there, although it may be a smaller presence then it used to be. It could still be worth it.

08-17-2009, 08:57 PM

Are you connected with anyone with this case, such as a reporter or LE official, someone whom could verify things and or answer questions etc?
Was just wondering if there was anyone available close to the case to help us out on validating things, or confirming information to see if we are on the right path or not?
thanks in advance for your answer.

Kat
08-18-2009, 03:55 AM

Please allow me to clarify my suggestion about a myspace page. I wasn't suggesting to create one to use in social networking to bring attention to Lori by requesting friends and such...

I was suggesting it as a way to create a free webpage and collect all the data that can be found and verfied onto that page.

Once it is created a simple google search of her name should bring it up.

As it stands right now, this is the only thing I could find on the internet for Lori ~ this thread.

The only way to even begin to hope in helping to solve a case is to commit to it. Commit time, dedication and to be relentless.

So my suggestion was a way to access and create a webpage for Lori for free~ after any print articles have been found and can be used. Pictures also.

I don't mind to assist, but I have several cases that I am donating my time and attention to as of right now and I can't commit to start Lori's presense on the web right now.

Bottom line is Lori needs an internet presense, not just at WS but anywhere it can be posted.

UMfanforever
08-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Are you connected with anyone with this case, such as a reporter or LE official, someone whom could verify things and or answer questions etc?
Was just wondering if there was anyone available close to the case to help us out on validating things, or confirming information to see if we are on the right path or not?
thanks in advance for your answer.

Nope...haven't a clue. I just find cold cases and post them to the board...several I have posted have no replies except for my own.....have no connection.

UMfanforever
08-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Please allow me to clarify my suggestion about a myspace page. I wasn't suggesting to create one to use in social networking to bring attention to Lori by requesting friends and such...

I was suggesting it as a way to create a free webpage and collect all the data that can be found and verfied onto that page.

Once it is created a simple google search of her name should bring it up.

As it stands right now, this is the only thing I could find on the internet for Lori ~ this thread.

The only way to even begin to hope in helping to solve a case is to commit to it. Commit time, dedication and to be relentless.

So my suggestion was a way to access and create a webpage for Lori for free~ after any print articles have been found and can be used. Pictures also.

I don't mind to assist, but I have several cases that I am donating my time and attention to as of right now and I can't commit to start Lori's presense on the web right now.

Bottom line is Lori needs an internet presense, not just at WS but anywhere it can be posted.

Perhaps. Can't find any feature articles. I'm sure there is one out there, maybe, but you probably have to view it on Microfilm at a library in Maryland, and I'm nowhere near.... I know that not every newspaper has been scanned into the web much to my dismay.

Kat
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
UMfanforever, IMHO I would go ahead and call the LE contact.

Lori's not really in any national databases. Confirm her murderer has not been caught yet. (I thought about that when I was getting ready for bed). I would ask them if they could share any statistics and other info in order to start assembling info for Lori.

Second, I would contact the archives of the local newspapers from that year and request an archival search and pay to get those articles. (I've had to do that in genealogy research, it's not that expensive). Especially any pictures.

Third, I would create a free webpage to help bring attention to her.

Charley Project? There are so many databases that if her information were in there, it would automatically generate interest in Lori.

UMfanforever
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Not everyone feels comfortable calling LE....I asked the same of MrTT about another case and they felt the same.

08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Not everyone feels comfortable calling LE....I asked the same of MrTT about another case and they felt the same.

I do agree with you on that, some have no problem in relating with LE on a direct bases, its just not me, unless they ask me to, which to this day they never have, not even by email...........

But...I do find it interesting, im assuming Lori has family still around, and yet none as far as i know, have posted anything about Lori, no website etc............It would be nice, to have that blood connection, come here or post somewhere about there situation, with updates, or where it stands etc.........I have just been curious about the lack of family or friends for that matter, not posting anything online that we have found??

It seems pretty obvious, or i may be wrong with this assumption, LE has hit a brick wall head on , with this case, i wish i new what that break wall was?

08-18-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Nov12/0,4670,SerialRapistSentencing,00.html

I wonder if this or another doctor kept semen from women whom was raped and murdered also??

Interesting story, he kept semen from rape victims going back 30 years, hoping one day LE could use it.........and they did!

Kat
08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Okay well good luck to you in finding the answers about this case that you are seeking. I'm fresh out of suggestions.

dearmont
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
On my way home from work yesterday I stopped by the spot where Lori's body was found - I wanted to take some photos but camera battery was drained - so, will stop by again soon. Not what I expected to see, think I will look further into this case.

UMfanforever
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
bumpy

UMfanforever
11-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Bumpy

UMfanforever
02-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Bump ----

UMfanforever
02-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Md. murder case reopened
Gettysburg Times - Monday, April 5, 1999

HAGERSTOWN, MD. (AP) - Maryland State Police have reopened the case of Lori Zimmerman, a 15-year-old murdered in April 1984.
The Zimmerman cae is one of the three unsolved murders in Washington County being handled by the Maryland State Police.
"Over the past year, Sgt. Ronald Cullison and I have conducted more than 100 interviews and developed new leads," said Sgt. Todd May.
In addition, the state police crime lab has reviewed all the physical evidence with new technology, such as DNA testing. It's possible that evidence could now be used for comparison purposes, May said.

"The information developed in the investigation indicates the (killer) was in all likelihood a member of the community and may have been known to Lori," May said.

He also believes there are people in Hagerstown who have information and haven't come forward, either because they are afraid or are reluctant to get involved.

Zimmerman's partially clad body was found south of Boonsboro on April 14, 1984. The body was found in a wooded area under large pieces of cardboard that had been weighted down with rocks.

UMfanforever
02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Maryland

1984 murder case reopened

By MARLO BARNHART
April 2, 1999

In April 1984, Sandra Volneck's 15-year-old daughter Lori Zimmerman disappeared, turning up as the victim of a brutal murder a few days later.

"I think of her and carry her picture with me every day," Volneck said. "She would have been 30 now if she'd lived."

"Lori never hurt anybody," Volneck said. "She had a lot of living to do and she didn't get to do that."

Fifteen years after the crime, Maryland State Police in Hagerstown have reopened the case, reviewing the evidence in hopes of finally bringing Lori's killer to justice.

Sgt. Todd May of the state police special investigation support unit said he and others in the department specialize in the investigation of murders and complex cases.

From time to time, old cases are reopened, May said. Sometimes new evidence comes to light but other cases are looked at again just to see if investigators can come up with something. The Zimmerman case is one of three unsolved murders in Washington County handled by the Maryland State Police.

"Over the past year, Sgt. Ronald Cullison and I have conducted more than 100 interviews and developed new leads," May said.

In addition, the state police crime lab has reviewed all the physical evidence with new technology, such as DNA testing. It's possible that evidence could now be used for comparison purposes, May said.

"The information developed in the investigation indicates the (killer) was in all likelihood a member of the community and may have been known to Lori," May said.

He also believes there are people in Hagerstown who have information and haven't come forward, either because they are afraid or are reluctant to get involved.

"It is our hope that anyone who believes they have information about this case would call and help bring closure to this tragedy for the sake of Lori's family," May said.

Zimmerman's partially clad body was found on Reno Monument Road south of Boonsboro on April 14, 1984 - several days after the 15-year-old South Hagerstown High School student had been reported missing by her mother.

According to police reports, Lori had been severely beaten but the official cause of death was asphyxiation. There was no official determination of sexual assault, police said.

A nearby resident found her body in a wooded area under large pieces of cardboard that were weighted down with rocks.

Police said all along they didn't believe Lori was murdered at the site where her body was found.

For months after, police tried to reconstruct Lori's movements. She was last seen in downtown Hagerstown by a relative on April 6, 1984.

The trail soon cooled.

Four years later, then-lead investigator Sgt. Keith Wattenschaidt, now retired, participated in a segment of "Unsolved Mysteries," the television show hosted by actor Robert Stack.

On film, Wattenschaidt met with psychic Dorothy Allison in a last-ditch effort to turn up a suspect.

Contacted this week, Wattenschaidt said Allison came pretty close to where police found Lori's body.

"But she really didn't come up with much we could use about the killer's profile," Wattenschaidt said.

Anyone with information can call state police in Hagerstown at 301-739-2101 or the MSP support unit at 1-410-290-0050.

UMfanforever
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
bumpy

OilPainter
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I remember this case from UM....shook me up pretty badly as I recall.

I hope justice is found for Lori - no matter how long it takes.

UMfanforever
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
bumpy wumpy

UMfanforever
05-11-2010, 02:22 AM
dumpy pumpy

TallCoolOne
05-15-2010, 08:14 AM
So they reopened the case over 10 years ago, and then nothing more?

We somehow need to get some locals involved in this. Too bad there isn't a means to get in contact with school mates, I'm sure there had to be some interesting rumors circulating about this.

UMfanforever, Kudos to you for keeping this case up front. I hope answers come soon and the perp can be brought to justice.

RIP Lori, so sorry your life was so cruelly cut short.

anyc
05-31-2010, 12:32 AM
PA and MD police are reviewing cold cases, including the murder of Lori Zimmerman. Link to newspaper article from May 18th:

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=245635&format=html

Bargle
05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
FWIW, here's 2 articles from Newspaper Archive on the case. They are the only ones I found.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7044/lorizimmerman11.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/lorizimmerman11.jpg/)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4425/lorizimmerman2crop.th.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/lorizimmerman2crop.jpg/)

UMfanforever
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Man charged in Md. killing may be linked to 1991 Frederick Co. death, three others

Maryland State Police say they are seeking links between two slayings in south-central Pennsylvania and three unsolved homicides in western Maryland.
Investigator Rick Bachtell told the Hagerstown Herald-Mail Tuesday he has met with Pennsylvania State Police who charged Jeffrey Miles last month with killing 29-year-old Kristy Hoke of Hagerstown.
That investigation led to the remains of 17-year-old Angie Daley of Waynesboro, who disappeared in 1995. No one has been charged in her death.
The Maryland victims are 27-year-old Geraldine Butts of Brunswick, whose battered remains were found in 1983; 15-year-old Lorraine Zimmerman of Hagerstown, who was found strangled in 1984; and an unidentified woman whose battered body was found along Interstate 270 in Frederick County in 1991.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/maryland/man-charged-in-md-killing-may.html

missy_g
12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Is anyone still interested in this case? My mother is Lori Zimmerman's cousin. We were just talking about this, and I decided to look it up on Websleuths. I can pin point everything on google maps, and I can also try to find archived information at the public library. I still live in Hagerstown.

UMfanforever
12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Is anyone still interested in this case? My mother is Lori Zimmerman's cousin. We were just talking about this, and I decided to look it up on Websleuths. I can pin point everything on google maps, and I can also try to find archived information at the public library. I still live in Hagerstown.

Yes, we're still interested. That's what Websleuths is here for.

missy_g
12-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I just asked because there hadn't been any new posts for awhile....

missy_g
12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
This is the MD state police report
http://msp.maryland.gov/hsib/cold_case_details.asp?identifier=63
Lori's case reopened
Google maps images of Reno Monument Road
Reno Monument Road (http://maps.google.com/maps/svpw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%3Fq%3DR eno%2BMonument%2BRoad,%2BBoonsboro,%2BMD%26layer%3 Dc%26sll%3D39.472426,-77.636249%26cbp%3D13,92.64,,0,-0.18%26cbll%3D39.472368,-77.635856%26hl%3Den%26sspn%3D0.006295,0.038466%26i e%3DUTF8%26hq%3D%26hnear%3DReno%2BMonument%2BRd,%2 BBoonsboro,%2BWashington,%2BMaryland%26ll%3D39.472 426,-77.636249%26spn%3D0.003189,0.009645%26t%3Dh%26z%3D 14%26panoid%3Dnl3rJULPAqPKjqOn9dAHvA%26output%3Dem bed&hl=en&gl=us)

Linky to the map I made LINKY (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217456549737166407192.0004976636cb5e9bdf88f&ll=39.476949,-77.636261&spn=0.012753,0.038581&z=15)

The map really covers a wide distance. Reno Monument Rd is a "backroad" as we call them. It's heavily wooded and not many people live on it. It's a good 20 minutes from the locations that Lori was last seen.

12-14-2010, 10:06 PM
This is the MD state police report
http://msp.maryland.gov/hsib/cold_case_details.asp?identifier=63
Lori's case reopened
Google maps images of Reno Monument Road
Reno Monument Road (http://maps.google.com/maps/svpw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%3Fq%3DR eno%2BMonument%2BRoad,%2BBoonsboro,%2BMD%26layer%3 Dc%26sll%3D39.472426,-77.636249%26cbp%3D13,92.64,,0,-0.18%26cbll%3D39.472368,-77.635856%26hl%3Den%26sspn%3D0.006295,0.038466%26i e%3DUTF8%26hq%3D%26hnear%3DReno%2BMonument%2BRd,%2 BBoonsboro,%2BWashington,%2BMaryland%26ll%3D39.472 426,-77.636249%26spn%3D0.003189,0.009645%26t%3Dh%26z%3D 14%26panoid%3Dnl3rJULPAqPKjqOn9dAHvA%26output%3Dem bed&hl=en&gl=us)

Linky to the map I made LINKY (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217456549737166407192.0004976636cb5e9bdf88f&ll=39.476949,-77.636261&spn=0.012753,0.038581&z=15)

The map really covers a wide distance. Reno Monument Rd is a "backroad" as we call them. It's heavily wooded and not many people live on it. It's a good 20 minutes from the locations that Lori was last seen.

I am spending time reading and looking at the visual aids you have provided here for us. It is nice to have someone close here.

Due to life's situation, i wont be able to study in detail until this weekend. AS far as last place seen, i would like to see the spot on the map, where she exited the bus on that Friday around 315 or so. And the friends house, that was stated she visited for ten minutes or so. One thing i found interesting so far, is that she went missing on the 6th of April. and the other two were found on the 6th of April of different years. Coincidence i am sure, but still it was interesting to read that. That in itself could mean there is a connection, but nothing physical for now, but perhaps in a spiritual way. Time will tell.

Thanks again for posting the information you have, and i look forward to studying it all in more detail this weekend.

missy_g
12-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I will have to try to get info on where exactly her friend lived. I would also have to get info on the bus stop. Once I have that I can pin point it on the map. I am going by what my mom has said and what my grandmother has said. My grandmother said she was last seen at the Washington County Library. My mother said she was last seen at the shopping center on Burhans Blvd.
I'll see if I can dig and find out exactly where her friend lived. I also want to fix the spot on Reno Monument Road. With that I am going to go by the Unsolved Mysteries Video.

ETA: I also remember my grandmother saying that she was seen getting into a car with two males. From what I understand there is speculation that she knew whomever killed her.

missy_g
12-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I put a couple more pinpoints in the map. I read that she was last seen on East Franklin St/North Cannon Ave. That area is the outskirts of the downtown area I suppose. Maybe this Friday I can go there and take actual pictures of the area (or you can see on Google Maps I suppose)

I remember hearing in the Unsolved Mysteries video that she was found somewhere near a church. From what I can find online, the church is on the corner of Rt. 67 and Reno Monument Road. That seems kind of odd to me, but I think some new building/houses have been built in that area since 1984. I think I'm actually going to have to drive to Reno Monument Road to get an idea of what is in the area.

UMfanforever
12-16-2010, 10:39 PM
I just asked because there hadn't been any new posts for awhile....

There just hasn't been much to talk about - I can only post "bump" on the thread to move it back up so many times.

Hopefully with someone closer to the family we can make some progress. I am only assuming that because there haven't been more articles that the mother just wanted to move on, or is not around anymore. Most mothers who lose their kids are aggressive and always getting news articles on the anniversaries etc (see Jennifer Odom thread for such an article ,another Unsolved Mysteries case)

amyflydragon
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
i live in Hagerstown MD. I know her cousin, he is the little boy in her lap on Unsolved Mysteries. Her murder was committed by a family member. I will be contacting cold case squad as soon as i am able to gather more info

OilPainter
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
i live in Hagerstown MD. I know her cousin, he is the little boy in her lap on Unsolved Mysteries. Her murder was committed by a family member. I will be contacting cold case squad as soon as i am able to gather more info

Family member? Be careful....

missy_g
03-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Have you found any information and why is it after all this time you decided to find this forum?

I'm from Hagerstown too and my mom is one of her cousins and even she doesn't really know anything.

UMfanforever
05-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Bumpy,,,

missy_g
11-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Still no reply from the family member?

Afarrow
06-09-2012, 12:16 AM
I just came across this site Lori was my best friend we went to school together and there isn't one person up here in Hagerstown forgotten her.I would love to have her case reopened,but I was told it has to be a family member to contact the police.How can I get a facebook and make it about her and her case maybe someone could know something about her case.She died 19 days before her 16th birthday.I lost my best friend 27 years ago and I think about her a lot,but not sure how it try to get the case opened again and looked into now maybe they can find out more in this day in age.Her mom is still alive and still lives up here her dad has pasted away a couple years ago.All I know if she got in a car with anyone she had to know them because she was not the kind of girl that just jump in a car with someone she did'nt know so lets see if we can find a way to get this case opened and get justice for Lori it's well over due.

Afarrow
06-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Lori went to her aunts house after school that day and she lived I think its called Franklin St.It;s the street behind KFC on the Daulhighway.

Angels_Not_Forgotten
07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Bumping for Lori...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Falcon500
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I just came across this site Lori was my best friend we went to school together and there isn't one person up here in Hagerstown forgotten her.I would love to have her case reopened,but I was told it has to be a family member to contact the police.How can I get a facebook and make it about her and her case maybe someone could know something about her case.She died 19 days before her 16th birthday.I lost my best friend 27 years ago and I think about her a lot,but not sure how it try to get the case opened again and looked into now maybe they can find out more in this day in age.Her mom is still alive and still lives up here her dad has pasted away a couple years ago.All I know if she got in a car with anyone she had to know them because she was not the kind of girl that just jump in a car with someone she did'nt know so lets see if we can find a way to get this case opened and get justice for Lori it's well over due.

Whoever gave you that information is wrong. A murder case is never closed or forgotten until someone is identified as the murderer or arrested. The state police have a cold case squad and over the years they have looked into it from time to time but haven't made a lot of progress. At one time they thought that it was linked to others in the three-state area.

Someone in the Boonesboro area knows something. Its only been 28 years since this girls murder. There are people around who know what happened. All it takes his the right phone call.

You asked about Facebook. YOU can start a Facebook page about this case. All it takes is a few keystrokes. If you are not confident about your abilities then someone could help you.

barb428
08-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Please please keep this going. I am a friend of her mother. I contact everyone I can think of. Her mother does not have a computer. To the person who said she was her best friend, thank you for not forgetting.

Enigma34
08-18-2012, 11:28 PM
I cant find anything on the internet about her recently.

http://coldcaseusa.blogspot.com/2011/09/lori-zimmerman-15-murdered-in-84-case.html

barb428
08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Please please keep this going. I am a friend of her mother. I contact everyone I can think of. Her mother does not have a computer. To the person who said she was her best friend, thank you for not forgetting.

Please just keep asking questions and keep her name out there and this case as open as possible after all these years. There has to be someone out there that knows sonething.

UMfanforever
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11568135

UMfanforever
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Glad to see you're still around on the forums MrTT...

JFitchReporter
04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
My name is Jennifer Fitch, and I'm a reporter with The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md. Over the years, our newspaper has done stories updating the status of Lori Zimmerman's case. I'm working on another story about the case, saying the family still wants answers. I've interviewed Ms. Zimmerman's mother and some of the police officers. If anyone has information that could help me in my reporting, please contact me at jenniferf@herald-mail.com. I'm specifically in search of any of Lori's friends from the years prior to her death. Thank you!

UMfanforever
07-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you Jennifer. http://articles.herald-mail.com/2013-04-28/news/38884125_1_south-hagerstown-high-school-new-information-case

Looking for closure in unsolved murder of Lorraine 'Lori' Zimmerman

Mother would 'be the happiest person in the world' if the case could be closed

April 28, 2013|By JENNIFER FITCH | waynesboro@herald-mail.com

Sandra Volneck has faced many challenges over the years, but the hardest thing she ever had to do was look at her 15-year-old daughter’s battered, lifeless body before closing the casket and burying her.

“I wouldn’t wish that on nobody. I’ll never get over it,” Volneck said last week. “Never.”

Twenty-nine years later and recovering from surgery for lung cancer, Volneck still does not know who killed her only child.

Maryland State Police recovered Lorraine “Lori” Zimmerman’s body from a wooded area outside Boonsboro in April 1984. The case remains open.

<modsnip>

UMfanforever
07-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Check out the article if you can.

07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Is it true she was not seen at school that day?
After being put in a taxi that morning.

Anyway of finding out where the taxi driver dropped her off that morning?
The address, building etc.

I do find it interesting she spent only one night in the new home before coming missing.

Good to see you again UMfan

missy_g
11-01-2013, 01:00 AM
I wonder if they found any DNA they can test now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

missy_g
11-01-2013, 01:04 AM
My name is Jennifer Fitch, and I'm a reporter with The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md. Over the years, our newspaper has done stories updating the status of Lori Zimmerman's case. I'm working on another story about the case, saying the family still wants answers. I've interviewed Ms. Zimmerman's mother and some of the police officers. If anyone has information that could help me in my reporting, please contact me at jenniferf@herald-mail.com. I'm specifically in search of any of Lori's friends from the years prior to her death. Thank you!

There was a post a few pages up from someone who claims they were best friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

December
11-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Sometimes murders are extremely hard on family members. they might not be looking for Lori online because it is too painful. I know from personal experience.

This does not mean the family aren't talking to the police! But, the police do not run and tell the media this has taken place. So, is Lori's case getting worked by the police or just us and the psychic Allison?

ETA
oops
I missed two pages! Halloween is stilll happening here! I'm distracted.

December
11-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Anyone who knows Lori, write down what you know! Write down names, dates, everything! Take photos of places ESPECIALLY if they haven't changed.

I mean, even write down things about people who you know have nothing to do with the case (be sure to explain why they don't). Look at the Kathy Jones thread to see what I mean. I do not remember a lot of stuff because I am too young. And then MANY people in my family have died.

So, this information doesn't have to be for the police... it is just to help keep facts straight over the years. So, if someone on topix ten years from now (if, God forbid, Lori's case is still unsolved then) says something it can be matched to known things from those days.

December
11-01-2013, 08:36 PM
They are looking at guys just a couple of years older than Lori, I presume?

They might also look at older man/younger guy combos. Think like an uncle and a nephew (doesn't have to literally be such a relationship, but to get the ages i mean in mind).

My friend was murdered by a 17 year old. Her murder is solved.

December
11-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Can someone please describe Lori's personality and interests? If you know?

adding
this is important..

11-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Lori, nicknamed “Blondie” by classmates, spent only one night in her family’s new home in Hagerstown before disappearing. Her mother put her in a taxi headed to South Hagerstown High School on the morning of April 6, 1984, and never saw her again.

Can you tell us if in fact she was dropped off at school that day, and was reported as being fact she was seen inside the school after being dropped off by the taxi driver.?

SMartian
03-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Lori, nicknamed “Blondie” by classmates, spent only one night in her family’s new home in Hagerstown before disappearing. Her mother put her in a taxi headed to South Hagerstown High School on the morning of April 6, 1984, and never saw her again.

Can you tell us if in fact she was dropped off at school that day, and was reported as being fact she was seen inside the school after being dropped off by the taxi driver.?

Why, I wonder, did she take a taxi to school? The first post of this thread claims she was seen getting off the school bus, so that would mean she did go to school? I just wonder why she would take a taxi and not the school bus in the morning if she took the bus home in the afternoon. Did she get off the bus in the afternoon at a stop that wasn't close to her home? I understand she was in a new house and wonder if the new place was in the same school district or if she was in a new district and had to take a taxi instead of the bus but took the bus to a stop not close to her own home? Normally, I do not think you would be allowed to get off a school bus, at a stop that was not your normal stop, without written permission from your parent. I know when I was to go to a friend's house after school, my mom had to write me a note to give to the bus driver.

missy_g
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Maybe she was late in the morning so took a taxi? Also even though this happened before my time, in my area we didn't need notes to get off at different spots. I'm sure it's different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missy_g
03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Ok I had to scroll back. I can almost guarantee that she could have gotten off at any stop she wanted. I went to the same high school she did and I could get off at any stop I wanted without a note. I'm sure it wasn't different in her time either.

SMartian
03-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes, Missy, looking back, I realize that I only needed a note in elementary school. Once in high school, the bus drivers no longer kept track of who was getting off at what stop I don't think. I am pretty sure we could get off anywhere we wanted. I graduated in 1986 so I was in high school the same time she was. It looks like she had only spent one night in their new home. So if they had just moved, she might have been running late like you said, and her mom called a taxi to take her to school that morning.

missy_g
03-31-2014, 08:17 PM
I wonder if she was in school that day?

Sulamith
04-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Weak article, IMO. At least a fairly current article is now on the internet.

I just found this thread and have read:

She got off of the bus and had a brief visit with her friend.

She went to her aunt's house after school and was seen leaving her aunt's house.

She was last seen at a shopping center.

She was seen getting into a car with two males.

Yet, the only thing that was stated by Lori Zimmerman's mother was that she sent Lori to school in a taxi and never saw her again. I wish the reporter would have tried to dig a little deeper regarding the alleged sightings of Lori and at least included them in the new article. If any one of them happened, it might have jogged someone's memory.

I wonder where she and her mother lived before they moved into the new house in Hagerstown. Did she attend the same school that she did before they moved?

Snipped from the news article:

"Lori spent most of her time in her mother’s care after her parents divorced. Her father since has died. Lori’s best friend as a teenager also died recently, as did several former investigators and a psychic who worked on the case for the “Unsolved Mysteries” television series."

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2013-04-28/news/38884125_1_south-hagerstown-high-school-new-information-case

I wonder if Lori's best friend was poster afarrow who has two posts on this thread. Post #57

missy_g
04-02-2014, 12:15 PM
That kind of jogged my memory. I remember my mom saying that she was seen getting into a car with 2 males. She was related to my mom some how, a distant cousin or something. My mom was older so maybe it was a cousins kid. My mom never really kept contact with her distant family (aunts and uncles).

I'm thinking maybe someone she knew was offering her a ride? A family friend or uncle...

missy_g
04-02-2014, 12:27 PM
What about a classmate?
Someone had to be acting weird around the time or doing things they wouldn't normally do such as laundry.

I thought I read that she didn't have marks on her but was assaulted and strangled (or maybe I'm getting it mixed up and read she was beat up but not sexually assaulted).
Anyway my mom said she heard they shoved her panties in her mouth. That could be rumor.

Someone still has to know something unless everyone involved is dead.

I'm wondering what other evidence was found in the area. I will have to look at Reno monument road again and see what is built there. I'm thinking in 1984 there wasn't much, just the church.

It seems obvious that she wasn't murdered there, just dumped.

Where has the reporter been? Maybe I should shoot her an email.