PDA

View Full Version : I need help

RhdHighness
05-26-2009, 04:02 PM
My son passed away in 1-2004 in Lubbock Texas, his wife cut off contact, I've been searching for my grandchildren for years. This weekend I found an article on line that his wife & new boyfriend beat my granddaughter so bad part of her skull had to be removed this happened months after my sons death. I called cps in Lubbock (I'm in New York) and they told me I have no rights, get a lawyer, I need help finding a probono lawyer in Texas, they wont even tell me if shes ok. Please if anyone can help me.
http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/100704/loc_100704028.shtml
My email is Rhdhighness@optonline.net. My family is sick over this, my Grandchildren are all we have left of my son.

poco
05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
The article says your granddaughter is in a Dallas hospital, but where are the other kids? I would probably start with a call to the Children's Protective Service in Lubbock and go from there. Good luck and don't give up! I believe you do have rights!~

Per that article - All of the children are currently in custody of Child Protective Services.

alwaysonmymind
05-26-2009, 04:13 PM
My son passed away in 1-2004 in Lubbock Texas, his wife cut off contact, I've been searching for my grandchildren for years. This weekend I found an article on line that his wife & new boyfriend beat my granddaughter so bad part of her skull had to be removed this happened months after my sons death. I called cps in Lubbock (I'm in New York) and they told me I have no rights, get a lawyer, I need help finding a probono lawyer in Texas, they wont even tell me if shes ok. Please if anyone can help me.
My email is Rhdhighness@optonline.net. My family is sick over this, my Grandchildren are all we have left of my son.

I'm sorry for the loss of your son. I read the article about your granddaughter and what a horrible situation.

i'm looking for court records to see if the mother was convicted....

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=2452973&ClientType=Printable

10/19/04
Lubbock Grand Jury Indicts Woman On Injury To Child Charge

Source: Lubbock Co. Sheriff

A Lubbock mother will go to trial to face a charge of injuring her child.

24-year-old Christina Kasprzyk was indicted by a Lubbock Grand Jury Tuesday. According to a police report, Kasprzyk's 3 year old daughter was taken to the emergency room last month for a head injury. Kasprzyk claimed her daughter would bang her head against things to get attention. But, a physician at the hospital told police there was bleeding in the girl's brain, and that he believed the injuries were the result of abuse.

Have you contacted the reporter?

Disguiseduser0308
05-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Have you tried Department of Children and Family services out there? Contacting the reporter who covered the story is another great suggestion. Considering the charges, I would imagine they are still under supervision of some sort (I hope) with DCFS/Family services. Being family, and considering it looks like the last story had them in protective custody, maybe there's a way to track them down that way.

Good luck and many prayers. I hope you're able to find the children and answers you need.

RhdHighness
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Lubbock cps says I have no rights, only the mother does & they wont even tell me if my Granddaughters alright, they were very rude, and I don't understand why we weren't contacted to take the children, they didn't even try, they said they didnt have my name, but no one in my family has moved or changed numbers. It doesn't seem Texas wants to reunite children with their families.

poco
05-26-2009, 04:45 PM
You have rights. How could you know - you are next of kin in this situation. Call the reporter, call the Dallas Hospitals. I actually didn't read the date of that article but it said she was transferred to a hospital in Dallas - start with Parkland Hospital and tell them you are trying to locate your granddaughter. I just called my sister who is a Domestic Abuse Attorney in PA, but no answer - just wanna see what she has to say.

And yeah, the mother might have rights, but not when she is in jail for beating the crap out of the child!!! What is the little girl's last name do you know - would it be your son's last name??? You can PM me if you want.

poco
05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
BY JASON WOMACK - reporter AVALANCHE-JOURNAL - call him!!!!

http://www.lubbockonline.com/

nanny1
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM
This is very strange did this case just drop out of the news after these two articles. I checked most of the news articles on line and it seems that right after the indictment in October of 2004 there is no more news on it.

poco
05-26-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.jerrymelton.com/grandparents.htm - attorney in dallas - free consultations - read his website.

I would also gather to guess if she is in Dallas she is at the Children's Medical Center -

http://www.childrens.com/ - I'd call there and ask for the social worker and talk to her and tell her your situation. They are there situations such as this. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Keep us informed.

nanny1
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Ooops I found this article

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/021806/loc_021806053.shtml

poco
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
good article nanny - has the reporters name, but it says this happened in like 2005 or 2006 - i'm confused.

Nice to read that the SOB got life!

nanny1
05-26-2009, 05:14 PM
good article nanny - has the reporters name, but it says this happened in like 2005 or 2006 - i'm confused.

Nice to read that the SOB got life!

The first article is stating Sept.2004 and they were indited October 2004.
Interesting though,I can't find anything on what happened to Christina the mother.

poco
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
So this happened a while ago and the children are probably with foster parents or something now????

Sporky
05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
wow this happened in 04 and the family just found out. That is soo wrong.

nanny1
05-26-2009, 05:22 PM
So this happened a while ago and the children are probably with foster parents or something now????

I don't know Poco,It concerns me that there is nothing in the news about mom being sentenced. I hope they did not give the children back. It's been almost 5 years.

Salem
05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Okay - I'm slowing down here. I wiped out my first response, because given the time factor, it probably wasn't reasonable. I didn't realize it had been almost 5 years. CPS in Lubbock had a responsibility to notify you of the children's situation. Get an attorney - write them a letter and make arrangement to go visit the kids. If the kids are in a good placement, you may not want to move them at this point in time. But you should be able to visit them.

My prayers are with you. I had nightmares about this exact situation until my son was awarded custody of his children. I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Salem

nanny1
05-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I am so baffled by this.. You absolutely have rights and why you weren't contacted astounds me. I would definitely insist on knowing how my gandchildren were,who they are with and get my rights as a grandparent.
Please keep us posted. I am praying for you and your grandchildren. I can not begin to imagine the agony that you are going through.

alwaysonmymind
05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.co.lubbock.tx.us/DCrt/Court_Records.htm

:mad: Fee required to view Lubbock County records online.

Checking TDC for mom...

dellemma
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
This is so horrible! I am so sorry!

I have no experience with this organization (just found them on google) but you may want to give them a call.

Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas

http://www.lanwt.org/

Kat
05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I am assuming that the crime that was commited against your granddaughter happened in Texas? Texas law applies, I would think.

Here are your rights as the Grandparent of her according to Texas:

http://library.findlaw.com/2000/Jul/1/131781.html

I agree with the other posters that urged you to contact a reporter as soon as possible. Media attention can possibly lead to a probono lawyer.

1. Learn your rights as a Grandparent according to Texas law.
2. Contact a reporter (preferably one who covered this case in the media in the beginning however, not crucial)
3. Start looking up lawyers in that area that the child resided in (the county she lived in when she was harmed) you will probably want a lawyer that handles family law. Call them and ask them if they will work on your case, if not probono, then for a nominal fee.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. I am sorry that your precious grandchild was harmed in this way and I will be praying for you and for her.

Do whatever you have to do Gramma, go get that baby. :blowkiss:

Malini2001
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Ooops I found this article

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/021806/loc_021806053.shtml

The first article is stating Sept.2004 and they were indited October 2004.
Interesting though,I can't find anything on what happened to Christina the mother.

The article published in Feb 2006 regarding the mother's boyfriend, says that charges were still pending against the mother. The mother was indicted in October 2004, so those charges were pending for over a year!

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/011309/obi_376773733.shtml According to this obit, Christina Kasprzyk's grandmother died on January 11, 2009 and it lists granddaughter Christina as well as 3 great-grandchildren surviving her. Maybe Christina is locked up and hasn't had any more children (I hope so). Didn't give the city she lives in as obits sometimes do.

I wasn't able to find any recent articles by Jason Womack, so he may not be with the Avalanche Journal any longer.

I would go with Poco's recommendation to contact the lawyer she cited. He specializes in grandparents' rights.

nanny1
05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Has anyone heard from rhdHihness since her initial post ?

momtective
05-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Has anyone heard from rhdHihness since her initial post ?

I emailed her and haven't heard a word.:confused:

RhdHighness
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Thank everyone so much for your replies & support, I've contacted Lubbock legal aid, I have to call back Thursday to see if I qualify because I'm out of state. And I am going to call the reporters too, I hadn't thought about that, my grandchildrens names are, Sean, Jeremy & Katelynn Kasprzyk. I'll keep this updated & I welcome anyone's ideas, I'm so upset I cant think. I never thought I'd find them under there circumstances. Please keep them in your prayers. thank you Liz.

alwaysonmymind
05-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Christina is in TDC- Texas Dept of Corrections

SID Number: 07389786
TDCJ Number: 01406222
Name: KASPRZYK,CHRISTINA L
Race: W
Sex: F
Maximum Sentence Date: 2011-08-11
Current Facility: MOUNTAIN VIEW
Projected Release Date: 2011-08-11
Parole Eligibility Date: 2007-03-09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Offense Data:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Sentence (Y-MM-DD)
2004-09-19 INJURY TO CHILD SBI 2006-09-28 LUBBOCK 2004-407258 5-00-

http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm

Could the children be with her parents??

nanny1
05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Christina is in TDC- Texas Dept of Corrections

SID Number: 07389786
TDCJ Number: 01406222
Name: KASPRZYK,CHRISTINA L
Race: W
Sex: F
Maximum Sentence Date: 2011-08-11
Current Facility: MOUNTAIN VIEW
Projected Release Date: 2011-08-11
Parole Eligibility Date: 2007-03-09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Offense Data:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Sentence (Y-MM-DD)
2004-09-19 INJURY TO CHILD SBI 2006-09-28 LUBBOCK 2004-407258 5-00-

http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm

Could the children be with her parents??

Great work Alwaysonmymind !! This information needs to get to RhdHIGHNESS.
If these kids are with someone else they need to know they have another set of Grandparents that love them and have been looking for them.
RhdHighness: I can not believe that you have to wait until Thursday to hear anything,the waiting must be excruciating. Please let us know how you make out.

Malini2001
05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
That's a good thought, alwaysonmymind had. Maybe the children are with Christina's parents. The obit of Christina's grandmother listed 2 daughters - D. Dunn of Lubbock and D. Wood of Texarkana. If I had to guess, I would think the Dunns are Christina's parents.

RhdHighness - do you think you would be favorably received if you contacted the other grandparents? If so, we can probably find their contact info.

alwaysonmymind
05-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Great work Alwaysonmymind !! This information needs to get to RhdHIGHNESS.
If these kids are with someone else they need to know they have another set of Grandparents that love them and have been looking for them.
RhdHighness: I can not believe that you have to wait until Thursday to hear anything,the waiting must be excruciating. Please let us know how you make out.

Thank you. :blushing: She received a 5 year sentence for injury to a child causing serious bodily injury. I'm thinking she probably agreed to testify against the pos boyfriend in exchange for a reduced sentence.

In cases like this,Texas CPS attempts to place children with family members. If they are suitable and want the children. I hope and pray these children are receiving the help they need to heal from this.

Salem
05-27-2009, 10:27 AM
You Sleuths are AWESOME! So much good info here. RhdHighnes - when speaking to the Texas legal aid - remind them that while you might be from out of town, your grandchildren are in Texas!

I'm praying for you and your grandchildren!

Salem

nephers
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
One option is to try to find them through their schools. Here is a link to the elementary schools http://www.lubbockisd.org/Elementaries.htm . I'm not sure how old the other children are but there are links at the bottom to check out middle/high schools. I haven't looked at every school but some have yearbooks. I'm not sure if they would still be in the same area if they are in foster care or if they would even still be listed with the same last name. I'll keep looking to see if I can come up with something.

Another option would be to get a private investigator or if you are up to it, go right to the source and visit the mother in jail (I'm not sure that I would want to go that path, too emotional but for the sake of the children, it may be worth the painful emotions)

~Lisa~
05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Geez only 5 yrs.!! I'm so sorry for what you're going through but you've gotten some good advise here...
What about calling this Det.? He might be able to tell you more then cps can...??

"She's a precious little girl, and you can tell she's got a long road to recovery,"said Cpl. Bill Carter, a detective with the Lubbock Police Department.

nanny1
05-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Geez only 5 yrs.!! I'm so sorry for what you're going through but you've gotten some good advise here...
What about calling this Det.? He might be able to tell you more then cps can...??

"She's a precious little girl, and you can tell she's got a long road to recovery,"said Cpl. Bill Carter, a detective with the Lubbock Police Department.

Your right the detective could probably shed a lot of light on where the kids are and if they know why the grandparents were not contacted. Who knows what the mother might have told them..

RR0004
05-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Thank you. :blushing: She received a 5 year sentence for injury to a child causing serious bodily injury. I'm thinking she probably agreed to testify against the pos boyfriend in exchange for a reduced sentence.

In cases like this,Texas CPS attempts to place children with family members. If they are suitable and want the children. I hope and pray these children are receiving the help they need to heal from this.
Could she already be out on parole? Maybe I'm reading this prison info wrong.

RhdHighness
05-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I found this
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:6j9pAz3yVNwJ:www.vanzandtnewspapers .com/archives/vanzandtnews/2006/2006-03-12/0023.pdf+%22Katelynn+Kasprzyk%22&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
I think it could be her, could I send a letter to her or her foster parents? Are they allowed to talk to me?

alwaysonmymind
05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Could she already be out on parole? Maybe I'm reading this prison info wrong.

Her first chance for parole came up 3-09-2007. She didn't make it.
Her projected release date is 8-11-2011.

alwaysonmymind
05-27-2009, 08:47 PM
I found this
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:6j9pAz3yVNwJ:www.vanzandtnewspapers .com/archives/vanzandtnews/2006/2006-03-12/0023.pdf+%22Katelynn+Kasprzyk%22&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
I think it could be her, could I send a letter to her or her foster parents? Are they allowed to talk to me?

I think you are right. That is not a very common name. How sweet. After all she' been through, she gets the Helping Hands award at school.

Grand Saline is a small town about 60 miles from Dallas. Do you know if she is with the mothers family? Are her brothers with her? An obit has either the aunt or grandmother in Texarkana. This is not far from Grand Saline.

As for the foster parents being allowed to talk to you,,, I don't know how that would work. Maybe someone familiar with foster care in Texas can answer that.

nanny1
05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I found this

Hi RhdHighness. I think I would wait to send a letter until you finally get to speak to someone who is involved in the case. I know it is difficult because you are her Grandmother and love her very much. The only reason I say this is because I'm sure this little girl has had intensive counciling and you may have to be reintroduced to her. Hopefully you will hear something tomorrow. The waiting must be just awful for you and hopefully it will not be long until you hold her in you arms..

6angels
05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I am so very sorry to hear about your son passing away and your grandchild being abused.

What I am going to say may be hard to hear and I hope I don't offend you.

I know it is no fault of your own that you had no contact with your grandchild and I am sorry that the state did not contact you when this happened. Unfortunally they would of gotten the infomation about grandparents from the child's mom. If she did not give them your name then they would not of contacted you. It has been years since this happened and the your grandchild was likely adopted from the foster care system if shes not with family.

The state is not going to tell you anything if the child has been adopted even if you get a attorney they still won't tell you anything if they been adopted by foster parents . If she has been adopted from someone that is not biological family to her then unfortunally you have no more rights as Grandparernts. Please I am sorry if that sounds mean I don't want it to but I know that to be fact. I am in the process of adopting 4 right now from foster care.

Your best bet is if the children are with family on the moms side. Then you have a chance by filing with the courts for visits.However if they was adopted by the family members you unfortunally still may not stand a chance as legally they are no longer your son's ex's children but the children of whoever has adopted them. I can almost guarantee you they have TPR on the mom which will make it really hard for you to find anything out at all.

This is so heart breaking :( I wish I knew some advice to give you. I would fight with everything I have to find out if they have been adopted or if they are still in foster care or with her family.

If they have been adopted out please don't be upset with the parents that adopted them, They would not of known your name or how to contact you nore would it of been their responablity. It lays on the mothers and the state to contact family of the children, unfortunally you just don't know what the mom told the state about you. The children deserve to be in a stable home if thats with biological family so be it if thats being adopted so be it.

There is rules when it comes to Foster children and getting them in a home that will be their forever home. I am not saying what happened to you is right............. It's not........... I am praying where ever your grandchildren are they are in a home that loves them and takes care of them and charishes them as they should be. I hope if the best place for them to be was with their moms family then thats where they are and you can find them and get in contact and get visits. Again I am sorry I hope I don't sound heartless I am just telling you how things work in foster care.

Get a attorney hopefully one that can help you but if they are adopted please don't be surprised if noone will tell you anything :-( We have a flawed system that is forsure.

also you may want to join a foster care forum thats on the net. They may have some advice for you. I'll pm you the link.

6angels
05-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Ohh. You know what? You can write the mom since shes in Jail you know where she's at. Give her a number to call you collect at. She may not be who you want to talk to but she will know if her kids have been adopted out or if they are still in foster care or with her family. I'd befriend her to get all the infomation I can..... Putting $20 on her books in jail will be cheaper then a attorney........ And then after you get the info you need you don't have to speak to her again.

nanny1
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
RhdHighness
Have you heard anything yet ??

RhdHighness
05-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Texas legal aid cant help me either. I'm going to write Christina, she was in contact with me till it seems she meet the new boyfriend. I dont know what happened to her, the picture I saw online hardly looks like her. My son & Christina lived here on Long Island with my husband for awhile,(most of our family lives here) she took good care of the kids, they dressed Katelynn up & put her in beauty contests, I have pictures of their birthday parties, I dont understand what went wrong I never doubted the kids would be safe with her, & her mother helped her a great deal, she worked for a law firm, she seemed like a very responsible person. I'm not looking to disrupt the childrens lives if their doing well, but I'd like them to know they have family here that loves them & are here for them, We'd like to be able to talk to them & send gifts & get to see them sometimes. But most of all I want to know they are alright:confused:

alwaysonmymind
05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Texas legal aid cant help me either. I'm going to write Christina, she was in contact with me till it seems she meet the new boyfriend. I dont know what happened to her, the picture I saw online hardly looks like her. My son & Christina lived here on Long Island with my husband for awhile,(most of our family lives here) she took good care of the kids, they dressed Katelynn up & put her in beauty contests, I have pictures of their birthday parties, I dont understand what went wrong I never doubted the kids would be safe with her, & her mother helped her a great deal, she worked for a law firm, she seemed like a very responsible person. I'm not looking to disrupt the childrens lives if their doing well, but I'd like them to know they have family here that loves them & are here for them, We'd like to be able to talk to them & send gifts & get to see them sometimes. But most of all I want to know they are alright:confused:

Maybe she got into drugs? I've seen that happen.

As you write to her, may the Lord give you the words that will open the door to communication that leads to your grandchildren. God bless. :blowkiss:

nanny1
05-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Maybe you could contact Christina's mother and she may be able to provide some information to you.
As far as Christina goes she may have gotten involved in drugs and that can change a person drastically. This is all very sad. They may very well be with her side of the family. Her side of the family may not even know that you have been looking for them. I really,really pray that things work out for all of you.

nanny1
05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Maybe she got into drugs? I've seen that happen.

As you write to her, may the Lord give you the words that will open the door to communication that leads to your grandchildren. God bless. :blowkiss:

Look's like you were thinking the same as I was about the drugs. So sad if this is the case. Addictions ruins so many lives.

Salem
05-28-2009, 11:32 PM

I admire your attitude RhdHighness. Take things slowly here and breath deeply. Contacting Christina is worth a shot. Also, contacting her mother as was suggested by nanny1. Her mother may have the kids.

You might try calling the Christina's mother if you can find her number. Let her know that you just want to know the kids are okay and that you would like to send birthday presents, etc., talk to them, maybe email them and visit with them. She may be agreeable - maybe not. But if she has the kids I hope and pray that she understands what's in a Grandmother's heart and will hear you out and be kind to you.

Always remember that the children will turn 18 and as soon as they do, no one can keep you from communicating with them. I know that is probably the worst case scenario, but if you can keep it in the back of your mind it will help you jump any hurdles you may face with more confidence.

And remember - we are all praying for you and your grandchildren :blowkiss:

Salem

elle1919
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Just reading this thread. It really breaks my heart. I wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you and your grandchildren. The Lord has his eyes over all!

mayfairlight
06-06-2009, 09:58 PM
RhdHighness, keep going.
I have a niece I hadn't seen in fourteen years, I sent her presents every birthday until my brother told me the people who had her (maternal grandparents) threw away my cards and presents, this has now also been confirmed by my niece herself, who is old enough to speak for herself:furious:
(I asked her if she liked the presents I sent her, she was like... what presents? That is how both of us found out:mad:)

As a grandparent, you should have rights, as you say noone can help you, have you tried the local media? Perhaps not giving any names, just highlighting the issue.

:blowkiss:wishing you all the best

6angels
06-08-2009, 02:33 AM
I think the problem is if the children was adopted via foster care then she no longer has any grandparents rights. She legally has no right to know anything about the children. They may of even changed their names and legally she won't beable to find out. She can go to any court in the world but it won't change the fact as it has been so many years.

We know mom does not have custody of the children and I can guarantee you they have TPR her rights. Being it has been so many years I am betting they have been adopted if they are not with her family.

What a Witch that she did not give the state your name when this happened :(
Did you get the pm I gave you with the link?

belleyes
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I think the problem is if the children was adopted via foster care then she no longer has any grandparents rights. She legally has no right to know anything about the children. They may of even changed their names and legally she won't beable to find out. She can go to any court in the world but it won't change the fact as it has been so many years.

We know mom does not have custody of the children and I can guarantee you they have TPR her rights. Being it has been so many years I am betting they have been adopted if they are not with her family.

What a Witch that she did not give the state your name when this happened :(
Did you get the pm I gave you with the link?

ITA Children are not held in the system long anymore. The goal is to find a "forever family". My kids are adopted from foster and I try to keep in contact with some of the extended birth families but it is very confusing for kids (I'm not trying to be harsh just real) they sometimes feel guilty for loving their "new" family. If they are adopted their birth certificates would also be changed. Please dont contact the family directly go through an agency---it blindsides the adoptive parents and shakes their security (b/c if you can find them so can the bio Mom) I am so sorry this has happened to you but as another poster stated if the Mom didnt give any names of relatives then the caseworkers have no obligation (or time) to be P.I.'s (they only look for the bio dad. If they cant find him they advertise in the local paper) To sum it up kiss-up to Mom, get all the info she has, and then lay into her.