View Full Version : Emma Thompson - 4-yr old w/STD and fractured skull dies

Pages : [1] 2 3

CuriousTwo
07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Slain Spring girl's siblings awarded to grandparents
Neighbor testified mother blamed falls for girl's death
By TERRI LANGFORD and PEGGY O'HARE Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
July 30, 2009, 10:42AM

The paternal grandparents of a 4-year-old Spring girl who died last month after being beaten and sexually assaulted have received temporary custody of her two sisters.

State District Judge Judy Warne directed Children's Protective Services to retrieve the girls, ages 6 and 11, and deliver them to the paternal grandparents. The father of the slain girl, Emma Thompson, and the surviving 6-year-old also lives there. The 11-year-old has a different father.

The girls' mother, 33-year-old Abigail Elizabeth Young, is restricted to two one-hour visits per month at CPS offices during the temporary custody period, Warne said.

====================================

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32217008/ns/local_news-houston_tx/

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6555444.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/breaking/6551978.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6553916.html

http://www.click2houston.com/news/20222590/detail.html

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/06/29/conroe_courier/news/child0630.txt

amandab
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Omg :(

Kat
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Reading this article made me take a very deep sigh for these children. I'm so sorry for them.

teonspaleprincess
07-31-2009, 05:55 PM
I am outraged that they did not remove that precious baby after they found out that she had contracted genital herpes!!! I hope that sorry excuse for a mother and her POS BF both fry for what they were doing to little Emma.

yosande
07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
The judicial system is letting these kids down. They need to be held responsible as well. This is another case of "It could have been avoided" if people would have just done their da*n jobs right.
moo

Paintr
07-31-2009, 06:21 PM
There are just no words ......

That poor, poor child!

http://www.gigantica.co.uk/red%20giant/weeping%20angel%201%20red.jpg

nursebeeme
07-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Reading this article made me take a very deep sigh for these children. I'm so sorry for them.
Hi (((Kat))) I have missed you! I agree with what you have said here.

Aperture
07-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I pray for justice. May this "gifted nurse" egg donor and her criminal boyfriend now receive what they deserve - an eternity in he-- together after the death penalty. How she can call herself a nurse is beyond evil.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6551978.html

"Mom is a ‘gifted' nurse

Texas Board of Nursing Examiners records show the child's mother has been licensed as a registered nurse since June 2001 and has no record of any disciplinary actions. Her license is set to expire Aug. 31. State board officials said their records show she works in the in-patient hospital field .

“From everyone's accounts, relatives and friends, she's a ‘gifted' nurse — this is a term they use,” Nelson said.

CuriousTwo
07-31-2009, 07:39 PM
And, this just blows my mind regarding the suspect:

Boyfriend of dead girl's mom has dark past
CPS had investigated him before little girl's death
By PEGGY O'HARE and TERRI LANGFORD
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
July 31, 2009, 3:53PM

Lucas Ruric Coe's criminal history includes assault with a deadly weapon and injury to a child.

The boyfriend of the Spring woman whose 4-year-old daughter died after being beaten and sexually assaulted has a lengthy history with Texas Child Protective Services as well as criminal records for assault with a deadly weapon, criminal mischief and injury to a child, records obtained by the Houston Chronicle show.

Before Emma Thompson's June 27 death, CPS officials had investigated him not once but three times in unrelated cases involving another girlfriend's child.

VespaElf
07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Hhhmmmm wonder if the boyfriend has herpes?? Im no psychic but I think the answer is a solid "yes"!!!!!!!!!
I think his daughter & the Momster's other children need to be checked too as with the attitude ,in that household,of a CHILD being described as "kinky like her father" its not a giant leap to assume what was truly infecting that household.
I will now say no more or I will violate TOS-Im THAT pizzed off by this story!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Fairy1
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok, now I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just don't understand these women. What do they find so attractive about POS's like this that makes them willing to sacrifice their own flesh and blood? This guy is nothing but a lowlife thug and she is an educated professional. WTF? Do our young women today suffer from such tragically low self-esteem that they will settle for any loser and allow him to harm their babies? What is that?

Something is terribly, terribly wrong when we hear these stories nearly every day. I will bet dollars to donuts that little Robert Manwill missing in Idaho has been killed by his mother or her boyfriend as well.

And CPS everywhere seems to be quite worthless.

CuriousTwo
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Hhhmmmm wonder if the boyfriend has herpes?? Im no psychic but I think the answer is a solid "yes"!!!!!!!!!
I think his daughter & the Momster's other children need to be checked too as with the attitude ,in that household,of a CHILD being described as "kinky like her father" its not a giant leap to assume what was truly infecting that household.

She [the grandmother] testified Wednesday that she knew her daughter had the same STD that was later found in Emma's system.

nursebeeme
07-31-2009, 09:58 PM
She [the grandmother] testified Wednesday that she knew her daughter had the same STD that was later found in Emma's system.

another snip from your link... that absolutely defies ALL LOGIC!

Even though Emma was allowed to remain in her mother's care despite the discovery of the STD, Estella Olguin with CPS said the agency did everything it should have done to keep her safe.

And just what was the "everything" that they did to keep her safe when she was a small child with an STD! Amazing! The only thing they could and SHOULD have done to keep her safe was to get her the he!! out of that home!

Fairy1
07-31-2009, 10:25 PM

And just what was the "everything" that they did to keep her safe when she was a small child with an STD! Amazing! The only thing they could and SHOULD have done to keep her safe was to get her the he!! out of that home!

That's a great question. Did ANYONE ever stop to wonder WHY this baby had an STD?

So this "mother" is left with genital herpes and a dead daughter. I sure hope the POS was worth it. :mad:

CuriousTwo
07-31-2009, 10:49 PM
That's a great question. Did ANYONE ever stop to wonder WHY this baby had an STD?

"Thompson [baby's father] said his wife told him that the type of herpes their daughter contracted had started out as a “childhood” version and had somehow developed into the sexual disease adults contract. He also said his wife told him that their daughter could have contracted the disease from a toilet seat."

Is this even possible?

jnTexas
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
"Thompson [baby's father] said his wife told him that the type of herpes their daughter contracted had started out as a “childhood” version and had somehow developed into the sexual disease adults contract. He also said his wife told him that their daughter could have contracted the disease from a toilet seat."

Is this even possible?

I have never heard of either being possible...If the dad knew she had it HE should've done everything in his power to protect his child. This case is discusting..Spring is like 20 minutes from me. they really need to check the other girls I'm betting all three have been abused.

Fairy1
07-31-2009, 11:59 PM

Is this even possible?

Genital herpes - no, I don't think so...

http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm#Howspread

Amster
08-01-2009, 03:03 AM
CPS....child predator service. :furious:

Both "moms" need to be charged. They obviously offered up their children to keep their "man"....come on Texas!! Make the slogan, "Don't Mess With Texas" mean Texan children! I'm so mad I could spit! :mad:

VespaElf
08-01-2009, 10:45 AM
The best is the lawyer arguing shes a good Mom & the other children should be returned to her! SO good Mothers let their BF's rape & infect their daughters & abuse them to death?
WTF?????? These girls should not go to Granma.I think after home studies they should go to the Fathers & I think MOMster should have her "rights" TERMINATED!!!!!!!

mysteriew
08-01-2009, 11:03 AM

There are probably a lot of excuses. There wasn't any man living in the household, mother promised to keep a better eye on the daughter. Child was too young to testify against anyone. So they a) made sure mother was aware of the problem b) made sure there were no males living in the hh c) felt confident that if the mother determined who had molested her child that she would notify authorities d) was unable to substantiate a suspect

They just happened to be wrong.

CuriousTwo
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
There's more ....

"Two more children who had contact with Lucas Ruric Coe were taken into protective custody Friday after Texas Child Protective Services confirmed one, a 4-year-old girl, had been sexually abused."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6556702.html

Unbelievable! Wonder how many more children he's hurt?

mysterygirl
08-01-2009, 12:58 PM
This POS and ALL like him can be rehabilitated with one thing, a bullet.

This mother could not be a gifted nurse, a "gifted" nurse's natural instinct is to render aid and protect whoever needs help. Letting your own flesh and blood be obviously abused and tortured goes against that.

Like all of you my heart hurts when I read these stories and yet I can't not read them.
We need to do better. We are letting innocent babies who cannot defend themselves down. I don't know what the answer is but if any of you have any ideas on something please say so. It is more than apparent that the child should have been taken whether they knew the boyfriend existed or not.

Who on here could not look at that trash and know instantly that he should not be around your children much less you.

OneLostGrl
08-01-2009, 07:09 PM
There's more ....

"Two more children who had contact with Lucas Ruric Coe were taken into protective custody Friday after Texas Child Protective Services confirmed one, a 4-year-old girl, had been sexually abused."

Unbelievable! Wonder how many more children he's hurt?

What a sicko- I hope he and the childs "mother" pay for what they have done.

CuriousTwo
08-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Seriously, what is it about these mothers that makes them vulnerable to these predators? I just can't figure this out. What am I missing? This mother lived in a very nice neighborhood in a home that was appraised at $200K+ - she's educated and comes from a wealthy family (from reading all the Houston Chronicle comments), yet bailed him out of jail at one point What makes women vulnerable to this type of scummy person and what makes them put the safety of their children secondary to protecting these guys? Are they threatened by these guys? I can't wrap my mind around this at all.

Fairy1
08-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Seriously, what is it about these mothers that makes them vulnerable to these predators? I just can't figure this out. What am I missing? This mother lived in a very nice neighborhood in a home that was appraised at $200K+ - she's educated and comes from a wealthy family (from reading all the Houston Chronicle comments), yet bailed him out of jail at one point What makes women vulnerable to this type of scummy person and what makes them put the safety of their children secondary to protecting these guys? Are they threatened by these guys? I can't wrap my mind around this at all.

Based on this guy's criminal record, I would definitely say he seeks out single mothers. But it's a great question as to why these mothers fall for him and his BS. I'm sure he does whatever it takes to draw them in and make them believe they can't live without him. But for me, first time I had to bail him out of jail - or if I knew about his criminal record - would be a dealbreaker. I don't get it and I don't suppose I ever will.

Bottom line is, she KNEW he wasn't supposed to be there and went to great lengths to hide the fact that he was. If, by some travesty, she isn't charged with something in this case, I truly hope she never has a good night's sleep for the rest of her life. I hope that baby girl's face is there every single time she closes her eyes. :furious:

VespaElf
08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I think this"Mother" was likely twisted before she met him if the biting comment is to be believed.......seriously little kids bite but who immediately thinks its a "sex thing"? She did as she was comfortable apparently commenting the baby(3 year old)was "kinky"! :( WTH?!

HAVE ANY STUDIES EVER BEEN ON THESE WOMEN? Its clearly not a socio-economic or ethnic thing as we have seen,time & time again,that this burning desire to "have a man" at all costs crosses those.Have women who offer their children up for sex or knowingly involve themselves with sex offenders or let a man abuse their children..........have they ever been studied?Any data complied? Id love to read a "profile" as theres seriously something going on in their heads!!!!!!!!

Amster
08-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Has the "mom" of the little boy from Magnolia been charged with anything?? If not, she should be!! She allowed this POS to torture her little boy for years!! Until these women start being charged, it will keep happening. Since they obviously only care about their wants and "needs", then show them that their selfish actions have consequences...for them! :furious:

LaLaw2000
08-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Has the "mom" of the little boy from Magnolia been charged with anything?? If not, she should be!! She allowed this POS to torture her little boy for years!! Until these women start being charged, it will keep happening. Since they obviously only care about their wants and "needs", then show them that their selfish actions have consequences...for them! :furious:

Oh, Amster, I agree with your every word and especially the bolded part.

CuriousTwo
08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think anyone's been charged yet in any of these crimes. Emma's autopsy results have not yet been released and she passed away about a month ago. They must be doing toxicology as well, for it to take this long (my guess).

Amster
08-02-2009, 11:39 PM
IIRC, Coe has one charge against him for the little boy he tortured, with the help from "mom" and CPS.

lonetraveler
08-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Based on this guy's criminal record, I would definitely say he seeks out single mothers. But it's a great question as to why these mothers fall for him and his BS. I'm sure he does whatever it takes to draw them in and make them believe they can't live without him. But for me, first time I had to bail him out of jail - or if I knew about his criminal record - would be a dealbreaker. I don't get it and I don't suppose I ever will.

Bottom line is, she KNEW he wasn't supposed to be there and went to great lengths to hide the fact that he was. If, by some travesty, she isn't charged with something in this case, I truly hope she never has a good night's sleep for the rest of her life. I hope that baby girl's face is there every single time she closes her eyes. :furious:
----------
It is very obvious to me that this "mother" of the little girl has no conscience what so ever regarding this little girl. She obivous did not care what happened to this baby. She needs to be drug tested because in my experience, the woman is usually dependent upon some drug the BF is providing her. If she is found to be drug free, then her only addiction to this man is most likely sex. This woman needs to be charged with the exact same crime that she helped to perpetrate. In my opinon, she is actually more guilty than he is and there should be side by side gurneys and she should get the needle at the same time as he does.

lonetraveler
08-03-2009, 12:23 AM
-----------
It is usually a drug habit or their very own crotch rules their entire world. Sounds crazy, I know, but very true. I know of a couple of women who have thought with their crotch for most of their lives.

Openmind
08-03-2009, 02:14 AM

The man was a monster and she covered for him. CPS failed but then so did many others -- this child should not be dead. Poor baby girl that must have truly suffered before he finally killed her while her mother looked the other way. It defies reason, or compassion, or decency.

CuriousTwo
08-03-2009, 04:08 AM
IIRC, Coe has one charge against him for the little boy he tortured, with the help from "mom" and CPS.

oops - that's true. I forgot about that one. Sad, isn't it, when someone has so many suspected incidents that it's hard to keep track of them all. :mad:

CuriousTwo
08-03-2009, 04:11 AM
----------
This woman needs to be charged with the exact same crime that she helped to perpetrate.

I had heard that lawmakers are working to make the punishment more severe in cases like these where a parent does not take proper measures to protect their child from predators. I sure hope that's true.

Boyz_Mum
08-03-2009, 09:59 AM
The man was a monster and she covered for him. CPS failed but then so did many others -- this child should not be dead. Poor baby girl that must have truly suffered before he finally killed her while her mother looked the other way. It defies reason, or compassion, or decency.

I haven't commented on this case because it makes my blood boil. Poor little girl was diagnosed with genital herpes and her mother did nothing and then lied to everyone (CPS, Emma's dad) about who had contact with her. Then we find out that Coe has a previous record of abuse of a little boy, who's mother also lied to CPS... I'm afraid to hear anymore about Coe (the monster) and the mother's who loved him (more than they loved their own children!)

I totally agree with you, the whole case defies reason, compassion or decency. I wish that both "mother's" are punished severly and I wish that Coe would be given a death penalty. JMO.

Paintr
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.chron.com/photos/2009/07/29/17709066/260xStory.jpg

RIP Emma!

Paintr
08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/08/03/conroe_courier/news/thompson0804.txt

Details surrounding a 4-year-old girl’s death in June are becoming clearer, and Harris County Child Protective Services believes the Magnolia boyfriend of the girl’s mother may be connected to the case.

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office has not made any arrests in the case, but no one is being ruled out, said Christina Garza, media relations manager for HCSO. Investigators are waiting on the results of an autopsy being conducted by the Southeast Texas Forensic Center in Conroe.

Paintr
08-04-2009, 07:18 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6556702.html

Two more children who had contact with Lucas Ruric Coe were taken into protective custody Friday after Texas Child Protective Services confirmed one, a 4-year-old girl, had been sexually abused.

CPS' action on Friday came after the 4-year-old Montgomery County girl told medical staff she had been touched inappropriately, according to an affidavit filed with a Montgomery County court. An exam confirmed the girl had been sexually abused, Carter said. The other child, a 9-year-old boy, had not been sexually abused but was living in the same home.

Both children were taken late Friday and placed into a foster home. CPS' investigation is continuing.

CuriousTwo
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/abigailyoung2.jpg ABIGAIL YOUNG (Emma's mother)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/lucascoe.jpg LUCAS COE (Young's boyfriend)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/benjaminthompson.jpg BENJAMIN THOMPSON (Young's husband - Emma's father)

Reannan
08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I can't stand much more of this.....what is wrong with our world? One of the most fundamental basic instincts is the instinct of a mother to protect their children. As a society, we travel a very dark path when Mothers betray their children and their God-given primal instinct to protect those children.

believe09
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
HEAD IN THE SAND-it does not take a ROCKET SCIENTIST to see how the child got the herpes with no vaginal trauma at the time; SKIN ON SKIN contact.

This woman knowingly chose her boyfriend over her obviously abused daughter. WAY TO GO.

Sorry-I know this has been covered but I just want to scream.................

VespaElf
08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
If you can lose your RN license for getting a DUI id really like to think you can lose it for covering up the abuse,rape & murder of your child!!!!!!!!!!!!
This case has me so upset!!! :(

JoeDean
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
There are way too many mothers that do not have that basic instinct to protect their babies from any harm, with my child, I would have hurt somebody very badly if they raised a hand to him. I wish every momma could feel the same way about their children.

Lyn1001
08-06-2009, 03:30 PM
There are probably a lot of excuses. There wasn't any man living in the household, mother promised to keep a better eye on the daughter. Child was too young to testify against anyone. So they a) made sure mother was aware of the problem b) made sure there were no males living in the hh c) felt confident that if the mother determined who had molested her child that she would notify authorities d) was unable to substantiate a suspect

They just happened to be wrong.

Mysteriew ~ I'm not sure if you were trying to be sarcstic at all, but you're pretty much correct. If the mother is able to come up with a good enough lie, has a safety plan in place to protect the child - including specific steps to take in different possible scenarios, the child does not disclose in the "appropriate" setting - or recants, and LE does not take any action, then CPS will most likely close the case. Believe me, CPS and foster care workers do have cases they have to close, even though they have a bad gut feeling. The problem is, without solid evidence to back it up, there is nothing that can be done. It sucks. In a way, it's good, because it means there has to be solid reasons to remove a child (although many people, I'm sure, will argue that and say that CPS removes for no reason...). But it's not good when the hands of CPS are legally and bureaucratically tied. It works both ways. No matter what, the system will never be perfect, humans are the ones working the system, and it's overseen by governmental agencies. I would venture to say the majority of workers do what they can within the scope of what they are allowed to do. However, some cases will always fall through the cracks. Those are the ones we hear about.

Anyway, sorry for the long diatribe. =)

CuriousTwo
08-06-2009, 06:03 PM
And, the mother is an educated RN, so she's probably well spoken and comes across as intelligent ... was able to convince CPS that she had no boyfriend and there was no one living with her, even though she did. Those are the scariest personalities of all - come across as "normal" and in reality have the potential of being very dangerous.

And, then there's the boyfriend who, by appearances, just looks dangerous!

fhc
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
other RNs we know, Andrea Yates & Cindy Anthony. I hope this story doesn't get buried. Abigail Elizabeth Young should be held accountable for her role in lying to CPS resulting in the death of Emma.

CuriousTwo
08-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Montgomery JP rules homicide in Spring child's death
by TERRI LANGFORD Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 7, 2009, 1:58PM

A 4-year-old Spring girl's death has been ruled a homicide, a Montgomery County justice of the peace said today.

Emma Thompson died on June 27 of "blunt abdominal trauma," according to Justice of the Peace Edie Connelly.

No arrests have been made in the girl's death. The girl's family had been investigated for possible abuse after she tested positive for genital herpes.

The girl's mother, 33-year-old registered nurse Abigail Young, told Texas Child Protective Services investigators that there was no other adult in the house.

However, Young had been dating Lucas Coe, 27, a man investigated by CPS three times since 2005 and previously charged with one count of injury to a child.

CPS first began investigating a complaint about Emma's care earlier in June. The investigation found the girl tested positive for genital herpes, but she was not removed.

Young's other two children are staying at the home of one of the fathers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6564570.html

Boyz_Mum
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Since the death is classified as a homicide, is the death penalty a possibility for Coe? Also, can the mother face charges in her daughters homicide? She pretty much enabled the homicide to happen by letting Coe in her home and gave him acess to her daughter. IMO, she should be charged as an accomplice or something plenty harsh.

CuriousTwo
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Today's update:

Spring girl's death ruled a homicide
No arrests have been made, but investigators say they haven't ruled out anyone as a suspect

By TERRI LANGFORD
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Aug. 8, 2009, 9:09AM

Six weeks after 4-year-old Emma Thompson died after being beaten and sexually abused, authorities announced Friday that the Spring girl was killed after suffering “blunt abdominal trauma.”

Montgomery County Justice of the Peace Edie Connelly said an autopsy determined the child's death is the result of a homicide, though no arrests have been made.

A Harris County deputy testified a week ago that the investigation seemed to center on Abigail Elizabeth Young, 33, Emma's mother; and Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, Young's boyfriend, but investigators said Friday no one has been ruled out as a suspect.

“We are adamant about no one has been ruled out as possible suspect,” said Harris County sheriff's Lt. John Legg. “Until charges are filed, the homicide investigators are neither naming suspects nor ruling out the possible suspects.”

He declined to say exactly when charges could be filed.
“Obviously, I think we can foresee in the near future some charges will be filed, but it's something we can't speculate on when that would be,” Legg said.

Texas Child Protective Services first began investigating a complaint about Emma's care in early June. The investigation found the girl tested positive for genital herpes, but she was not removed from the home at the time.

She died after being rushed to Memorial Hermann-The Woodlands Hospital by her mother, a registered nurse, on June 27. A neighbor reported that the night of Emma's death, Young said the fatal injuries were caused by two separate falls — and that she tried to save her daughter's life by using Super Glue to close a wound on her head.
During a custody hearing involving Emma's two sisters, it was revealed that investigators were waiting on preliminary results from the autopsy before proceeding with an arrest. Legg said Friday that the autopsy results, while crucial, are not the only thing they need before moving forward.

“While that (cause of death) was an essential piece of information for the investigation, it was not the only information that the homicide investigators are looking at before filing charges,” he said.

Legg asked the public for patience.

“We realize it's never soon enough or never appears soon enough,” he said. “These types of investigations are very complex and require a review of all the information before making a determination.”

When CPS investigators interviewed Emma's mother in early June, she denied that any other adult was living in her home. Court testimony a week ago revealed that Coe was often seen at Young's house. One neighbor testified that Young told her that she had been dating Coe for months before CPS started its investigation.

Young's mother told the court a week ago she believes Coe is the only person authorities should be looking at in connection with Emma's death. Margie Young called Coe a “predator,” “snake” and “Satan.”

“He picked the youngest, and he picked on the weakest,” she testified. She offered no other details.

Attempts to reach Abigail Young and Coe were unsuccessful Friday.

Before Emma's death, CPS also had investigated Coe three times in unrelated cases involving another girlfriend's child. He also has a criminal history that includes charges of assault with a deadly weapon and criminal mischief. He has been indicted on suspicion of injury to a child.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6564570.html

VespaElf
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Charge the Momster.........maybe after stewing in jail she'll change her story!!!!!!!!!

chloes1
08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I read this stuff and I just shiver. It occurs to me that perhaps part of the problem is that so many people were raised with this mistaken idea that there is no such thing as "wrong" or "bad". In school, I remember that teachers were just starting to make sure that every child got an award at award ceremonies.

Is it possible that somehow we have failed to explain to our children that evil does walk in the world? I'm 40 years old and I was taught in school and now on talk boards that it is not acceptable to judge people. That you're not supposed to label someone "bad" or "evil".

Can it be that these women simply don't understand that their children ( all children really) need them to make judgements? It's amazing how many people throw away their children for "love".

I dunno, just a thought.

gitana1
08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
The best is the lawyer arguing shes a good Mom & the other children should be returned to her! SO good Mothers let their BF's rape & infect their daughters & abuse them to death?
WTF?????? These girls should not go to Granma.I think after home studies they should go to the Fathers & I think MOMster should have her "rights" TERMINATED!!!!!!!

Oh, it's horrible. That mother didn't give two cents for her darling little girl. That poor babies face will haunt me. I can't imagine her with a mouth, etc, full of herpes. I'm sick.
This mother and the other really, really need to pay. Emma's mom failed to call 911 from her house so she could give the boyfriend time to leave, IMO. She knew exactly what her ugly boyfriend was doing and tried to treat her child rather than first seeking medical attention, so she could protect the P.O.S.
Until women like these are prosecuted as accomplices to murder, abuse, etc., we have little hope for change. In addition, I think it should be a crime punishable as neglect at the least and actionable by removing the child from the home when "mothers" leave their precious kids alone with the new guy and anything happens. We also need a slew of public service announcements talking about the results when the "need" for a new man becomes a greater priority than one's children, and a message about the penalities for exposing one's kids to these creeps and then protecting the creep after he harms the child. The moms need to pay for this nonsense at the same level, in many cases, as the perp, IMO. That's the way to send a message and to reduce the frequency of such tragedies.

PeteyGirl
08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I read this stuff and I just shiver. It occurs to me that perhaps part of the problem is that so many people were raised with this mistaken idea that there is no such thing as "wrong" or "bad". In school, I remember that teachers were just starting to make sure that every child got an award at award ceremonies.

Is it possible that somehow we have failed to explain to our children that evil does walk in the world? I'm 40 years old and I was taught in school and now on talk boards that it is not acceptable to judge people. That you're not supposed to label someone "bad" or "evil".

Can it be that these women simply don't understand that their children ( all children really) need them to make judgements? It's amazing how many people throw away their children for "love".

I dunno, just a thought.

Being raised in an abusive home "normalizes" abusive behavior, neglectful behavior, violence, sexuality between the wrong family members or other adults.

How else do these patterns get repeated, especially abusive patterns? They just don't register on the radar.

I also think that we are reluctant to educate our children about bad people, much less acknowledge their presence. Afraid to scare the child? Then tell the child YOU will protect them, and then fricken DO it ! The short term monster-ey fear the child will have is NOTHING compared to being a victim, when with reasonable parenting, it could have been avoided.

I also agree that we MUST make judgments. What insanity and dishonesty to say that we don't. I think what we are NOT supposed to judge is who goes to Heaven or Hell. Bad behavior is bad behavior, destruction is destruction. Period.

Thanks for your post, I for one feel you've hit on some major themes that cause so much unnecessary suffering.

fhc
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Any news on this case? Why has there not been an arrest?

CuriousTwo
08-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Any news on this case? Why has there not been an arrest?

“While that (cause of death) was an essential piece of information for the investigation, it was not the only information that the homicide investigators are looking at before filing charges,” he said.

“We realize it's never soon enough or never appears soon enough,” he said. “These types of investigations are very complex and require a review of all the information before making a determination.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6564570.html

Justice in this case does seem to be moving slowly - it took over a month for the autopsy results to be released.

CuriousTwo
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Link to news video on the case, including photos of Emma in happier times:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/20350384/index.html

CuriousTwo
08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Document8_Page_1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Document8_Page_2.jpg

Photos are from the video link: http://www.click2houston.com/video/20350384/index.html

What a precious baby - so inconceivable that anyone could harm her.

Reannan
08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Monster doesn't even come close to describing what the people are who allowed, or caused this to happen to this beautiful child. Sometimes, I have to take a break from reading here, but then I feel guilty that I am somehow letting these little victims down. Someone needs to care. It just seems sad that people on the internet care more than the people who lived their lives with them. :mad:

Paintr
08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6567805.html

A Spring woman and her boyfriend have been charged in the death of the woman's daughter, a 4-year-old who authorities said was beaten and sexually abused.

Abigail Elizabeth Young, 33, and Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, are charged with injury to a child, a first-degree felony. They are accused in the death of Emma Thompson.

jnTexas
08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.montgomerycountynews.net/

The Gulf Coast Task Force arrested Coe in Magnolia around 5:45 p.m. He was reportedly visiting relatives and attempted to flee, but was captured.

A detective with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office who is directly involved in the case said the death was the worst case of child abuse he had seen in his 17 years on the force. Young, a registered nurse, formerly worked at Texas Women’s Hospital in Labor and Delivery.

Additional information and video will be posted later

Fairy1
08-10-2009, 11:21 PM

A Spring woman and her boyfriend have been charged in the death of the woman's daughter, a 4-year-old who authorities said was beaten and sexually abused.

Abigail Elizabeth Young, 33, and Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, are charged with injury to a child, a first-degree felony. They are accused in the death of Emma Thompson.

Good!!!! I wish the charges were more serious, but maybe they will be. This woman should fry right alongside her POS BF.

Fairy1
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
http://www.montgomerycountynews.net/

Oh! Too bad he didn't put up enough of a fight for LE to shoot him! He's a coward POS.

Paintr
08-10-2009, 11:51 PM
http://www.khou.com/news/local/crime/stories/khou090810_mp_4-year-old-child-death-charges.caaacbf6.html

The autopsy determined the girl’s death was a homicide after a blunt abdominal trauma. The Medical Examiner says she had also been beaten and sexually abused.

Now six weeks later, detectives have arrested the child's mother, 33-year-old Abigail Elizabeth Young and her boyfriend, 27-year-old Lucas Ruric Coe.

If convicted, felony injury to a child charges could result in a life sentence

Paintr
08-10-2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090729_sex_abuse_child_arrests

Arrests Made in Death of
Child With STD

video...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6567805.html

Paintr
08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-toddler-death-arrests-story,0,6725423.story

Investigators say from start, Abigail Young and her boyfriend, Lucas Coe gave conflicting stories as to how her 4 year-old daughter, Emma Thompson, sustain a severed pancreas, a skull fracture, bruising all over her body, and oral and vaginal Herpes.

When I asked Detective AJ Kelly why prosecutors charged the 33 year-old mother and her 27 year-old boyfriend with first degree injury to a child instead of murder, he answered:

"Just from the meeting we had today, it was the best way to proceed as far as charging both in this case. It's still a life sentence charge, they can still receive 5 to 99 years."

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Whew! Justice is definitely in order for this little angel!

Paintr
08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.familybadge.org/(S(xtp0xk55ay2wu045m51spzuf))/default.aspx?act=Newsletter.aspx&category=News+1-2&newsletterid=14293&menugroup=Home&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Both suspects were arrested at separate locations around 5:45 p.m. on Monday. Coe was arrested by the Gulf Coast Violent Offender Task Force in the Magnolia area of Montgomery County. Kelly said Coe attempted to flee on foot, but was captured. Ironically, Coe was wearing a black graphic t-shirt with a cartoon police car and a panicked looking figure in front of it that read, "It's all fun and games until the police show up." Coe might have been smiling when he bought the shirt, but he did not appear to be amused as he was in custody walking from the HCSO Homicide Division to a squad car en route to the Harris County Jail.

Two other children in the household, one of them Coe's 4-year-old daughter, are now with relatives. Harris County and Montgomery County Child Protective Services have "open cases on all of the children" that have been around the suspects, Kelly said.

The 19 year veteran officer said the Thompson case was the "toughest" of his career because of the injuries to the child that he saw at the hospital and at the forensic center. Thompson has children of his own.

Paintr
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9A0L2PO0.html

Abigail Elizabeth Young of Spring and Lucas Ruric Coe were held Tuesday in the Harris County Jail. Young was held on $50,000 bond. Jail records indicated Lucas was held without bond.

Electronic jail records had no listing for attorneys for Young or Coe.

IWannaKnow
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
From one of Paintr's links above:
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-toddler-death-arrests-story,0,6725423.story

"CPS had been criticized for not removing Emma from her home when they were notified that the girl had a sexually transmitted disease nearly a month before she died.

CPS stated that because genital herpes can be transmitted through other non-sexual methods, they could not automatically remove the child. "

But I found this:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/1/67
~snipped~BBM
"A review of gonorrhea, Chiamydia trachomatis, herpes genitalis, condyloma acuminata, Trichomonas vaginalis, syphilis, chancroid, and granuloma inguinale infections has been made to address the issue of nonsexual transmission of sexually transmitted diseases. Nonsexual transmission of these infections is an infrequent occurrence and when they affect the prepubertal child, sexual abuse must be highly suspected."

I think CPS has some 'splainin to do......:(

Paintr
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090811_nurse_boyfriend_arrested_girl_death

HOUSTON - A woman from Spring and her boyfriend have been charged with felony injury to a child over the death of her 4-year-old daughter.

Both Young and Coe are scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

jnTexas
08-11-2009, 12:20 PM

The news of an arrest brought some relief to one of Emma's relatives.

“I feel blessed that justice is being serviced, and hopefully justice will be served for my niece,“ said Amanda Young Mathews, Young's sister. “We just want the truth to be known.“

She described her niece as a fun-loving girl. “She had a bright future and was taken away too soon.“

Mathews said she was horrified at what happened to her niece. “She will be missed forever,” Mathews said.

I'm glad to see a family member standing up for this baby. Even if it's after her death!

Paintr
08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou090810_mp_4-year-old-child-death-charges.caaacbf6.html

In video of the hearing, Young and Coe stood side by side several feet apart as they faced the judge. Other accused criminals in the courtroom could be seen shaking their heads in disgust and covering their faces, shocked by the allegations leveled against Coe.

Paintr
08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.khou.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=388093

video of their courtroom appearance.

Paintr
08-11-2009, 02:19 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/util/prestitialShell?ad=3&goback=http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6959397

Although the hearing is public record, the sound from the courtroom was turned off so the media was unable to hear what was said during the appearance. Others present in the courtroom had a visibly disturbed reaction to what was reading read by the judge

UnderDog
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Is this even possible?

Herpes can be contracted by the baby at birth if the Mother has herpes.

krt
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Just disgusting; absolutely disgusting. I hope EVERY INMATE male and female knows what these two monsters did when they enter the prison system. May they both rot in he** for eternity. :rage::rage::rage:

Poor innocent child! :( At least no one can hurt her anymore!

fhc
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Here is the local media link. Don't miss her home town comments
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/52962227.html

fhc
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Death
http://obit.memorialoakschapel.com/obitdisplay.html?id=685229&listing=Current
Notice by funeral home

KT Can
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I live in Spring...and I have been laying on a beach in Mexico for the past nine days far removed from the horrors of the world...could I come home to anything worse?!! I am horrified right now. I am afraid that if I start ranting about these two I will get put in time out and I really missed my WS's while I was gone.

Off to read my local articles now...

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Latest news coverage:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou090810_mp_4-year-old-child-death-charges.caaacbf6.html# (Houston news)

http://www.kwhi.com/open.htm (Brenham radio station)

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6959397 (Houston news)

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/52962227.html (Bryan/College Station news)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9A0L2PO0.html (Dallas news)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6567805.html (Houston Chronicle online - Houston newspaper)

http://www.familybadge.org/(S(xtp0xk55ay2wu045m51spzuf))/default.aspx?act=Newsletter.aspx&category=News+1-2&newsletterid=14293&menugroup=Home&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/08/11/news/news01.txt (local Brenham newspaper)

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/08/11/conroe_courier/news/emma-812.txt (Conroe newspaper)

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Here is the local media link. Don't miss her home town comments
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/52962227.html

This newspaper is located about an hour from where she lived/worked when she was arrested.

Boyz_Mum
08-11-2009, 06:09 PM

I don't disagree with you, I do wonder though if Emma had contracted herpes at birth, would mom need to explain that "she could have gotten it from a toilet seat"? She wouldn't have had to lie about having a boyfriend either (it sounds like there were questions as to why Emma had herpes?)

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
This one just tugs at my heartstrings:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/abbey.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/abbeyarrest.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/coearrest.jpg

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
The autopsy results make it so difficult to believe that anyone who saw Emma could have not known the severity of her injuries (IMHO):

"Other accused criminals in the courtroom could be seen shaking their heads in disgust and covering their faces, shocked by the allegations leveled against Coe.

Emma died at a Woodlands hospital on June 27.

The autopsy showed Emma had "80 contusions, a severe head laceration, a scalp hemorrhaging, skull fracture, internal bleeding, a severe tear and hemorrhaging to the vagina."

The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the abdominal area which had caused several internal injuries."

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou090810_mp_4-year-old-child-death-charges.caaacbf6.html

Paintr
08-11-2009, 06:43 PM
It is hard to believe that one little body could have all those injuries. My first thought was 'sounds as if she got hit by a truck'. Then I remembered just how big Coe actually is. That poor, poor child.

Her obituary listed a large, loving family. I wish one of them had the raising of her instead of her mother.

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/52969242.html

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 07:05 PM
More photos from http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-emma-thompson-pictures,0,5989462.photogallery

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma2.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma3.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma4.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma5.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma6.jpg

Amster
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
OMG...her daddy reported the bruises...momster said she fell out of bed! CPS knew she had herpes but didn't do anything?? WHY aren't these 2 monsters charged with murder?? Come on, Texas!! It took a month to figure out that Emma was murdered?? She was raped and beaten....a little, tiny girl...and her 2 killers have been free as birds and are still breathing!!! spit

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, this type of situation isn't limited to just Texas ... it's happening all across our nation. When will it stop?

CuriousTwo
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
These are older news reports, but I wanted to include them here, in the event anyone is researching this case:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6564570.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32217008/ns/local_news-houston_tx/

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/06/29/conroe_courier/news/child0630.txt

http://obit.memorialoakschapel.com/obitdisplay.html?id=685229&listing=Current

===================================

The autopsy results make it so difficult to believe that anyone who saw Emma could have not known the severity of her injuries (IMHO):

"Other accused criminals in the courtroom could be seen shaking their heads in disgust and covering their faces, shocked by the allegations leveled against Coe.

Emma died at a Woodlands hospital on June 27.

The autopsy showed Emma had "80 contusions, a severe head laceration, a scalp hemorrhaging, skull fracture, internal bleeding, a severe tear and hemorrhaging to the vagina."

The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the abdominal area which had caused several internal injuries."

The report above failed to mention that a contributing factor to the internal bleeding was the fact that Emma's pancreas was severed:

"The girl, who had suffered a skull fracture, a severed pancreas, and vaginal tearing, evidence of sexual assault, was dead by the time she reached a hospital."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6555444.html

This is so horrific - I can't imagine the pain this little girl endured. I would have called 911 immediately, rather than leaving home to drive her to the ER. I just can't get this out of my mind. Who is the voice for these children? And, it's not just Emma, it's happening in every state at any time. Mind-boggling!

Paintr
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/state/headlines/52962227.html

Trinity Medical Center CEO John Simms said when Young was hired, a background check revealed no charges filed against her. He also said Young had access to children at the hospital, but it was supervised.

"Ms. Young was employed based on her qualifications as a registered nurse and she was completing her orientation and actually worked one shift prior to her arrest," Simms said.

Paintr
08-11-2009, 11:54 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6569342.html

After CPS talked to Young, Emma was taken on June 12 to Texas Children's Hospital for a sexual abuse exam. There was no sign of sexual abuse, and CPS allowed Emma to remain home. CPS officials have said that herpes does not automatically prompt a removal because in rare cases genital herpes can be contracted in a nonsexual manner.

But sometime between that June 12 exam and her death on June 27, Emma suffered more bruises, a total of 80, according to the Montgomery County medical examiner, along with the skull fracture and sexual abuse as evidenced by a “tear and hemorrhaging to the vagina extending from the area of the hymen, which was not intact.”

Fairy1
08-12-2009, 01:00 AM
I do hope the hospital staff or coroner had the presence of mind to complete a rape kit. The DNA of the POS BF will ensure that he is locked away forever. I will bet my hard-earned $$$ that he has herpes too - AND that there are more victims.

This beautiful little baby girl....

So, let's tally up what the "mother" gained by being with this pig:

A dead baby
Genital herpes
Probable LIP
Gosh, I really can't imagine ANYTHING that would have made it all worth it. I hope she sees what I see when she looks in the mirror every single day for the rest of her miserable life.

How, how, how could she have allowed this to happen to her own beautiful baby girl?

I realize no one here knows the answer to that question.....

Paintr
08-12-2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/08/11/crimesider/entry5234084.shtml

Some will say that Child Protective Services can’t remove every child, or that the system is overwhelmed and undermanned to handle the volume of cases. Questions will be asked about home much state funding, or lack thereof, contributed to the understaffing of a very important agency.

But one has to wonder if all this finger pointing, while justified and arguably necessary to affect change, is just a way for us to avoid asking the hardest and possibly the only question that will never be answered: how does a parent do this to their own flesh and blood

Paintr
08-12-2009, 07:59 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6960794

New investigation for man in custody

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The man accused of beating and sexually abusing a four-year-old girl is now under investigation for allegedly abusing his own daughter.
The girl's mother, Abigail Young, and her boyfriend, Lucas Coe, are each charged with injury to a child. CPS says Coe's biological daughter was with him the night four-year-old Emma Thompson died, and she too showed signs of abuse.

Boyz_Mum
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6960794

New investigation for man in custody

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The man accused of beating and sexually abusing a four-year-old girl is now under investigation for allegedly abusing his own daughter.
The girl's mother, Abigail Young, and her boyfriend, Lucas Coe, are each charged with injury to a child. CPS says Coe's biological daughter was with him the night four-year-old Emma Thompson died, and she too showed signs of abuse.

I am praying he didn't hurt her too. This case is so heartbreaking and keeps getting worse.

Rest in Peace little Emma, I wish we could have saved you.

IWannaKnow
08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
This is what I got from Paintrs link above:
~snipped and BBM~
1) "Her bruises, including one on her face, were first noticed in early June by her father, Benjamin Thompson, who separated from Young in April."

2)"According to Kelly's affidavit, however, “Lucas Coe began an intimate relationship with Ms. Young and became a frequent overnight guest at Ms. Young's residence beginning June 2009.” "

3) "The girl's pediatrician examined her June 8. The doctor found Emma had “oral and vaginal herpes, along with bruising inconsistent with explanations offered by Abigail Young” and contacted Child Protective Services. Tests came back positive for herpes on June 11."

4)"But sometime between that June 12 exam and her death on June 27, Emma suffered more bruises, a total of 80, according to the Montgomery County medical examiner, along with the skull fracture and sexual abuse as evidenced by a “tear and hemorrhaging to the vagina extending from the area of the hymen, which was not intact.” "

So, way to go momster! Within days of starting to see this scum-bag, he has raped your daughter and given her herpes. And she is a nurse!!!!! That is what I can't get over. How, how, how could she not see what was going on when she was bathing that baby????? The only logical response is that she didn't care..........:banghead:

Did she also have herpes? Is that why the father didn't go bat s*&t crazy when he heard about the herpes?? Or did he just assume that momster was a "nurse" so she must know what she is talking about????????

Lyn1001
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM

After CPS talked to Young, Emma was taken on June 12 to Texas Children's Hospital for a sexual abuse exam. There was no sign of sexual abuse, and CPS allowed Emma to remain home. CPS officials have said that herpes does not automatically prompt a removal because in rare cases genital herpes can be contracted in a nonsexual manner.

But sometime between that June 12 exam and her death on June 27, Emma suffered more bruises, a total of 80, according to the Montgomery County medical examiner, along with the skull fracture and sexual abuse as evidenced by a “tear and hemorrhaging to the vagina extending from the area of the hymen, which was not intact.”

I'm sorry, but that article annoyed me to some extent. CPS sent the child for a sexual abuse exam that showed no evidence of sexual abuse. Due to that, other options regarding how she obtained herpes had to be taken into consideration. If someone's child was taken by protective services DESPITE a sexual abuse exam showing no signs of abuse, everyone would be up in arms. Also, the article questions why Coe was allowed to live there. From what I understand in reading other articles, the mother denied anyone was living in the home. CPS can't stake out a house to see if anyone is there that shouldn't be. They can check closets and rooms, but if there is no sign of anyone else living there, what is CPS supposed to do?

I will conceed that we do not know every single detail, we never will. CPS may have some of the blame in this. However, I am tired of people blaming CPS for everything! They can only do so much. If they had removed this child, with no evidence of sexual abuse (as per a medical exam) and no evidence of someone else living in the home (which there may have been, but we don't actually know), people would be all up in arms about CPS removing children for no reason without any evidence. CPS is a convienent entity to blame since they are supposed to be making sure children are safe. HOWEVER, CPS wouldn't be needed if people didn't physically/emotionally/mentally abuse their children! The so-called PARENTS are the ones at fault, but it's easier to blame an entity, who often is doing the best they can (admittedly not in all situations though).

Sorry for my rant. =)

jnTexas
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM

I'm betting Mom didn't have herpes when Emma was born since the bio father was told by momster that she got another way.

jnTexas
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry, but that article annoyed me to some extent. CPS sent the child for a sexual abuse exam that showed no evidence of sexual abuse. Due to that, other options regarding how she obtained herpes had to be taken into consideration. If someone's child was taken by protective services DESPITE a sexual abuse exam showing no signs of abuse, everyone would be up in arms. Also, the article questions why Coe was allowed to live there. From what I understand in reading other articles, the mother denied anyone was living in the home. CPS can't stake out a house to see if anyone is there that shouldn't be. They can check closets and rooms, but if there is no sign of anyone else living there, what is CPS supposed to do?

I will conceed that we do not know every single detail, we never will. CPS may have some of the blame in this. However, I am tired of people blaming CPS for everything! They can only do so much. If they had removed this child, with no evidence of sexual abuse (as per a medical exam) and no evidence of someone else living in the home (which there may have been, but we don't actually know), people would be all up in arms about CPS removing children for no reason without any evidence. CPS is a convienent entity to blame since they are supposed to be making sure children are safe. HOWEVER, CPS wouldn't be needed if people didn't physically/emotionally/mentally abuse their children! The so-called PARENTS are the ones at fault, but it's easier to blame an entity, who often is doing the best they can (admittedly not in all situations though).

Sorry for my rant. =)

I blame the mom! The biofather saw the bruises and called CPS. This woman was a nurse, and she was the main care giver. She should've been able to tell by the bruises her child was being abused. She should've seen the change in her daughter. This is another case of keeping my BF is more important than protecting my child.

I wonder how many other children were in the home and how old they are?

fhc
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Now the mother is out on bond. That makes me sick. Her daughter is buried six feet under and Abby will be 'doing lunch'! This isn't right.

Paintr
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090812_emma_thompson_mother_posts_bond

Abigail Young's attorneys say their client is a mother who just lost her daughter and has not been allowed to grieve. Young made her first appearance before a judge in the case of her daughter's death at the Harris County Criminal Courthouse on Wednesday morning.

When FOX 26 reporter Andrea Watkins suggested to the attorney that a lot can happen in one week, Amman said,"Sure. A lot can happen in a week, but not on her part. I think you should be talking to Mr. Coe." With that, Amann abruptly ended the interview

Paintr
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6569659.html

Young may only contact her two surviving children, who are in the custody of a court-appointed guardian, by mail. Her letters are to be screened by prosecutors and child welfare workers, the judge ordered.

Paintr
08-12-2009, 03:23 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6959397

CPS is going to court later this week regarding Coe's daughter and her brother, who is apparently not Coe's biological child. They were removed from relatives' care last week because Coe had unsupervised access to them and the little girl was apparently with Coe the night that Emma Thompson died.

jnTexas
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Mom charged in child's death: Words can't describe the hell I'm in
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090812_jj_emma-mom-interview.d3802a7f.html
“Words can’t describe the hell that I’m in,” Abbey Young said
“Details have come out and it makes me feel so dirty that I was even with him,” she said. “It’s like I want to take a bleach bath and I have, but I can’t seem to get myself clean enough.”

Investigators say statements Young made to police are inconsistent with Emma’s injuries. They say she initially told them Emma fell out of bed.

“It’s just adding insult to injury. There is no way in hell I would have ever done anything to hurt my child or allowed anybody to hurt my baby,” Young said.

“Jail? I don’t belong there,” said Young.

more at the link.

REALLY??? SERIOUSLY??? doesn't belong on jail. would never allow anyone to harm her child. yet her child had herpes. I just may go down to watch her trial!!

jnTexas
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6959397

CPS is going to court later this week regarding Coe's daughter and her brother, who is apparently not Coe's biological child. They were removed from relatives' care last week because Coe had unsupervised access to them and the little girl was apparently with Coe the night that Emma Thompson died.

Way To GO CPS!!! They get it wrong sometimes, but this time they have done the right thing!!

jnTexas
08-12-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6569659.html

Young may only contact her two surviving children, who are in the custody of a court-appointed guardian, by mail. Her letters are to be screened by prosecutors and child welfare workers, the judge ordered.

I 100% agree with this judges ruling. This woman put her children in harms way, and does not deserve visitation.

Paintr
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090812_jj_emma-mom-interview.d3802a7f.html
“Details have come out and it makes me feel so dirty that I was even with him,” she said. “It’s like I want to take a bleach bath and I have, but I can’t seem to get myself clean enough.”

Investigators say statements Young made to police are inconsistent with Emma’s injuries. They say she initially told them Emma fell out of bed.

“It’s just adding insult to injury. There is no way in hell I would have ever done anything to hurt my child or allowed anybody to hurt my baby,” Young said.

more at the link.

REALLY??? SERIOUSLY??? doesn't belong on jail. would never allow anyone to harm her child. yet her child had herpes. I just may go down to watch her trial!!

I was glad to see they held the Mom responsible in this case. Now I have a great fear that she will blame it all on Coe (judging by her comments and those of her lawyer) and scoot out of all responsibility for Emma's death. Then they will give her back her other children. (shudder)

CuriousTwo
08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma7-1.jpg

CuriousTwo
08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/08/11/news/news01.txt - Brenham Banner-Press, local newspaper

Former Brenham resident charged -- Mother, boyfriend face felony accusation in child’s death

http://www.kwhi.com/ - local radio station website

YOUNG SAYS SHE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH DAUGHTER'S DEATH

CuriousTwo
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
IMHO, this is way too reminiscent of the Caylee Anthony case ... where the mother's major concern is herself, rather than her child. This came to mind when I noticed how many times she uses "I" in her statements, and never mentions "the child" by name. Just an observation.
=======================

“Words can’t describe the hell that I’m in,” Abbey Young said in an exclusive interview with 11 News.

“I want people to know my side, how I’m feeling,” said Young.

joga
08-12-2009, 07:22 PM
oooh this mother disgusts me...she is on a PR tour already, poor little me me me me me....yes you're right, you are dirty and will never be able to clean your daughters blood from your hands! and coe...i can't even begin to descibe my anger!!

joga
08-12-2009, 07:25 PM
80 contusions! unfreakingbelievable. no person deserves this (well maybe egg donor and coe) espescially a sweet baby...from the link posted earlier.

CuriousTwo
08-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Video interview with her attorney:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/attorney-1.jpg

http://www.khou.com/video/raw-index.html?nvid=388553

-----------------------------------------
Video:

http://www.khou.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=388579

A woman charged in the brutal beating death of her 4-year-old daughter says she's a good mother who would never hurt a child. "There is no way in hell I would have ever done anything to hurt my child or allowed anybody to hurt my baby," said Abbey Young:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/abbey-2.jpg

fhc
08-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Why was that interview with Abigail Young so edited? Noticed the time the interviewer ask AY if she knew of Coe's history with CPS, she looked over to her atty and didn't answer until he gave her the answer 'no'. She knew

CuriousTwo
08-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Why was that interview with Abigail Young so edited? Noticed the time the interviewer ask AY if she knew of Coe's history with CPS, she looked over to her atty and didn't answer until he gave her the answer 'no'. She knew

I noticed that, too. I think it was because her attorney was present and objected to numerous questions.

I wonder if Nancy Grace will ever cover this case?

I think what bothers me most is that I realize that there are many predators like Coe in this world, what I don't understand is what happens to these mothers that they don't display natural maternal instincts to protect their young at all costs?

===============================

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/kelly.jpg
The lead investigator on the Thompson case, Detective Anthony "A.J." Kelly.

"The 19 year veteran officer said the Thompson case was the "toughest" of his career because of the injuries to the child that he saw at the hospital and at the forensic center. Thompson has children of his own."

http://www.familybadge.org/default.aspx?act=Newsletter.aspx&category=News+1-2&newsletterid=14293&menugroup=Home

Fairy1
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I was glad to see they held the Mom responsible in this case. Now I have a great fear that she will blame it all on Coe (judging by her comments and those of her lawyer) and scoot out of all responsibility for Emma's death. Then they will give her back her other children. (shudder)

I'm absolutely positive she will attempt to blame it all on Coe, Paintr. IMO, what will hang her is the FACT that she went to great lengths to hide the FACT that he was living there with her. She had to have known that he shouldn't have been there and WHY. Yet she allowed him to be there, gave him unsupervised access to her own baby girl and then lied to protect him.

She can give her "poor, poor me" interviews until the cows come home, but she's going down.

Fairy1
08-12-2009, 10:01 PM
[quote=CuriousTwo;4040969]I noticed that, too. I think it was because her attorney was present and objected to numerous questions.

I wonder if Nancy Grace will ever cover this case?

I think what bothers me most is that I realize that there are many predators like Coe in this world, what I don't understand is what happens to these mothers that they don't display natural maternal instincts to protect their young at all costs?

*Snipped and BBM*

This is what gets me too, CT. I understand the desire for love and companionship - particularly for a young, single, working mom. But to gain those things at the expense of your own children really goes against the most basic instincts of a mother. It's not natural yet it seems to be so common anymore.

Amster
08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Gag! Abigail, stop lying!! You sacrificed your baby to have a bed mate! 80 contusions on Emma's little body....OMG...

And, CPS evidently bought the herpes excuse...but, the baby doctor also reported bruises consistent with abuse! How did Abigail explain those away? Did you talk to the other girls?? Or, just buy whatever Abigail was selling because she's a nurse? Did you even ask Emma what happened??

Abigail, why did you call 911 and then meet them down the street? Giving Coe enough time to stash his daughter with a neighbor....the daughter he was not supposed to be around? Making sure the EMT's didn't find out that the POS was living with you?? What did you allow Coe do to Emma the night before? I pray that Emma's sweet face haunts you the rest of your worthless life.

Paintr
08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-emmas-mother-out-of-jail-story,0,5423888.story

Abigail Young's newly hired attorney is already putting the blame on her boyfriend, Lucas Coe, who remains in jail without bond.

Some of them say after hearing what they call "lies" Abigail Young and her attorney are telling the media about the death of her 4 year-old daughter, Emma Thompson, they have decided to break their silence.

"It's hard for me to see her on TV as a grieving mother because I can tell you right now she did not grieve at all that night," said Julius Villarreal, Young's former neighbor.

Neighbors also say as investigators were looking for evidence inside Young's home, Young was heard coaching her other children to tell police that Lucas Coe had nothing to do with their sister's death.

Paintr
08-13-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-emmas-mother-out-of-jail-story,0,5423888.story

Also on Thursday, Lucas Coe will appear before a judge in Montgomery County regarding allegations he abused his own four year-old daughter, also named Emma, and a 7 year-old stepson.

CPS tells us Coe's daughter also had signs of sexual trauma to the genital area.

Paintr
08-13-2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.khou.com/news/local/crime/stories/khou090812_jj_emma-mom-interview.d3802a7f.html

Abbey Young and her ex-boyfriend, Lucas Coe, are facing injury to a child charges in connection with the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson.

So now he is her exboyfriend? Since when? Since she got a defense lawyer?

PorcineGranny
08-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I hadn't even heard of this case until I was in here reading tonight. This is horrorific!
I wish states would mandate a death sentence for child abusers and enablers.

God bless Emma. Why is our world spinning out of control now?

Fairy1
08-13-2009, 01:02 AM
This witch was arrested at work FGS! She wasn't grieving at all! If I lost one of my babies I would still be on my knees at this point.

She should burn right along her "ex" boyfriend - who she allowed to abuse and murder her own child.

IWannaKnow
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM
OK, this is what gets me. She is a nurse. She is having sex with a guy that HAD to have an active herpes infection if he transmitted it to Emma. The things I've briefly read state there is a roughly 2-7% chance of infection during remission....so A.Y. HAD to know he had it, and I figure he was in an active phase. You can't tell me that a nurse doesn't notice the sores and figure out where they came from. Sure, you had nothing to do with it...........right:liar:

Not to mention hiding the POS......:furious:

Who else thinks she took acting classes at the Casey Anthony School for Distraught Acting Mothers?

joga
08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
This witch was arrested at work FGS! She wasn't grieving at all! If I lost one of my babies I would still be on my knees at this point.

She should burn right along her "ex" boyfriend - who she allowed to abuse and murder her own child.

i didn't know she was arrested at work! how could she have gone back like nothing had happened! just play it off so her perv boyfriend would be ok, well until he managed to kill one of his own children. i am so saddened and furious at the thought of what that poor girl went through...she was tortured horrifically plain and simple. for this woman to get up here and claim that she had no idea what was going on, no one is going to believe that at trial.

Paintr
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/53144667.html

Young, 33, is a nurse and was arrested at work in Brenham.

Coe, 27, was caught trying to flee a relative's home in Magnolia.

fhc
08-13-2009, 05:38 PM
We have groups that monitor court cases that involve animal abuse. Do we have a group that monitors cases of child abuse? I know MADD has court observers that sit in on DUI/DWI cases.

CuriousTwo
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Judging by the reader comments at the end of this article, that community is not happy ....

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/08/11/news/news01.txt

Paintr
08-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Judging by the reader comments at the end of this article, that community is not happy ....

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/08/11/news/news01.txt

Wow! There is a lot of anger in those comments.

CuriousTwo
08-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Photos of Emma and one pic of her home on Haverford Rd in Spring, Texas (where this horrible murder took place) from this video:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma2-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma3-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma4-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma5-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma6-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma7-2.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma1-1.jpg

CuriousTwo
08-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Mother Charged in Child's Death Posts Bond
Neighbor Speaks Out

Andrea Nguyen KIAH

August 12, 2009
A mother accused of abuse that led to her four-year-old daughter's death is out of jail tonight.

Abigail Young's newly hired attorney is already putting the blame on her boyfriend, Lucas Coe, who remains in jail without bond.

39 News spoke to Emma's aunt off-camera and several neighbors Wednesday.

Some of them say after hearing what they call "lies" Abigail Young and her attorney are telling the media about the death of her 4 year-old daughter, Emma Thompson, they have decided to break their silence.

"It's hard for me to see her on TV as a grieving mother because I can tell you right now she did not grieve at all that night," said Julius Villarreal, Young's former neighbor.

Neighbors also say as investigators were looking for evidence inside Young's home, Young was heard coaching her other children to tell police that Lucas Coe had nothing to do with their sister's death.

On Wednesday in court and with her new attorney, Young's story has changed drastically.

"When she found out her daughter had Herpes, like a concerned mother she took her to the hospital to be examined a week before Emma's death," said Colin Amann, Young's attorney. "Sure a lot can happen in a week, but not on her part. We should be talking to Mr. Coe."

Now Emma's mother is only allowed to write letters to her other sisters.

Investigators say little Emma was sexually assaulted and beaten the day she died.

A candlelight vigil for her is being planned on Thursday.

Also on Thursday, Lucas Coe will appear before a judge in Montgomery County regarding allegations he abused his own four year-old daughter, also named Emma, and a 7 year-old stepson.

CPS tells us Coe's daughter also had signs of sexual trauma to the genital area.

-----
Oops- sorry, Paintr ... I didn't see that you had already posted this link.

Boyz_Mum
08-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't know if I'm reading this correctly. Abigail has only dated Coe since the beginning of June. Since, she found out her daughter had contracted Herpes Simplex 2 (?), she said Emma could have caught it off a toilet seat and no one but dad, herself and child care workers had access to Emma. Then within a couple of weeks, Emma is dead. Emma had abdominal trauma and 79 other contusions over the course of a month?

From what I'm reading it took the monster Coe less than a month to murder this baby, it took mom until her arrest to "see" the monster she invited into her home. :furious:

Paintr
08-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Photos of Emma and one pic of her home on Haverford Rd in Spring, Texas (where this horrible murder took place) from this video:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma2-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma3-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma4-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma5-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma6-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/Emma7-2.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma1-1.jpg

That is a beautiful house. How could AEY afford it if she was just starting a new job as a nurse and her a single mom of 3 children? Just wondering...

Paintr
08-13-2009, 11:57 PM

Mother Charged in Child's Death Posts Bond
Neighbor Speaks Out

Andrea Nguyen KIAH

August 12, 2009
A mother accused of abuse that led to her four-year-old daughter's death is out of jail tonight.

On Wednesday in court and with her new attorney, Young's story has changed drastically.

"When she found out her daughter had Herpes, like a concerned mother she took her to the hospital to be examined a week before Emma's death," said Colin Amann, Young's attorney. "Sure a lot can happen in a week, but not on her part. We should be talking to Mr. Coe."

Now Emma's mother is only allowed to write letters to her other sisters.

Investigators say little Emma was sexually assaulted and beaten the day she died.

A candlelight vigil for her is being planned on Thursday.

-----
Oops- sorry, Paintr ... I didn't see that you had already posted this link.

De nada, Curious. It is always good to review. :blowkiss:

Melanie
08-14-2009, 12:37 AM
The judicial system is letting these kids down. They need to be held responsible as well. This is another case of "It could have been avoided" if people would have just done their da*n jobs right.
moo

I'm sorry if I missed something, but did the courts give visitation to the POS mother of the other children? She shouldn't be allowed within 10 miles of the other 2 siblings. What are our courts up to. Hang her by her thumbs...if you ask me.

Children are a gift, a blessing, and as parents we take the oath - do no harm/break no spirit. Anyone who thinks otherwise should NOT be a parent. :(

Mel

Melanie
08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
OK, this is what gets me. She is a nurse. She is having sex with a guy that HAD to have an active herpes infection if he transmitted it to Emma. The things I've briefly read state there is a roughly 2-7% chance of infection during remission....so A.Y. HAD to know he had it, and I figure he was in an active phase. You can't tell me that a nurse doesn't notice the sores and figure out where they came from. Sure, you had nothing to do with it...........right:liar:

Not to mention hiding the POS......:furious:

Who else thinks she took acting classes at the Casey Anthony School for Distraught Acting Mothers?

Which is why I think the mother is 100% culpable in this case. As a nurse, I'm sure she saw his peen (can I say that). She had to have known were the Herpes came from and because she didn't toss the boyfriend out immediately - she has to take the blame. I have to read more, but where was CPS (I'm sure the hospital had to report this). Lord have mercy!

Mel

Fairy1
08-14-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm sorry if I missed something, but did the courts give visitation to the POS mother of the other children? She shouldn't be allowed within 10 miles of the other 2 siblings. What are our courts up to. Hang her by her thumbs...if you ask me.

Children are a gift, a blessing, and as parents we take the oath - do no harm/break no spirit. Anyone who thinks otherwise should NOT be a parent. :(

Mel

She is not allowed to see her other children. She can only send court-monitored letters to them.

Melanie
08-14-2009, 12:50 AM
IMHO, this is way too reminiscent of the Caylee Anthony case ... where the mother's major concern is herself, rather than her child. This came to mind when I noticed how many times she uses "I" in her statements, and never mentions "the child" by name. Just an observation.
=======================

“Words can’t describe the hell that I’m in,” Abbey Young said in an exclusive interview with 11 News.

“I want people to know my side, how I’m feeling,” said Young.

Casey Anthony -is that you! Another narcasistic in denial good for nothing womb donor.

What about that poor child. What about what the child went through. I could care a less about YOU! You are old enough to know better. A child is not. You did not protect, you are responsible for the death of this child. YOU should not be out of jail.

Darn - I'm so mad. :mad:

Melanie
08-14-2009, 12:52 AM
She is not allowed to see her other children. She can only send court-monitored letters to them.

Ahhh, thank you very much. I thought I heard she would have CPS visits. Glad I'm wrong!

Thanks!

Mel

jnTexas
08-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Which is why I think the mother is 100% culpable in this case. As a nurse, I'm sure she saw his peen (can I say that). She had to have known were the Herpes came from and because she didn't toss the boyfriend out immediately - she has to take the blame. I have to read more, but where was CPS (I'm sure the hospital had to report this). Lord have mercy!

Mel

From what i remember reading...
They were contacted and they had a sex abuse exam done on her and could find no evidence of sex abuse even though this child had herpes. Also the mother told CPS there was no one living with her. she also told the father that the little girl got the herpes from something other than sex abuse. so they didn't remove the child from the home. Nice Huh??

Also: I am absolutely proud of this judge for standing up for the children by not allowing the mother visitation, and also that any letter she writes must be read and approved before the children get them.

The fact that the Momster's sister was on the news tonight and said she hasn't talked to her sister, and that she was there for Emma at the prayer vigil speaks volumes. I do believe the family is not backing her.

jnTexas
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
That is a beautiful house. How could AEY afford it if she was just starting a new job as a nurse and her a single mom of 3 children? Just wondering...

I believe she is an RN and they can make pretty good money. I also think that she was working at a different job when this happened. Spring is not close to Brenham. I believe she moved to the Brenham area after this happened and tried to start over at another hospital. This just happened in June 2months ago and she is back to work. I don't think I breathe after the death of a child much less get up and go to work.

Melanie
08-14-2009, 02:17 AM
From what i remember reading...
They were contacted and they had a sex abuse exam done on her and could find no evidence of sex abuse even though this child had herpes. Also the mother told CPS there was no one living with her. she also told the father that the little girl got the herpes from something other than sex abuse. so they didn't remove the child from the home. Nice Huh??

Also: I am absolutely proud of this judge for standing up for the children by not allowing the mother visitation, and also that any letter she writes must be read and approved before the children get them.

The fact that the Momster's sister was on the news tonight and said she hasn't talked to her sister, and that she was there for Emma at the prayer vigil speaks volumes. I do believe the family is not backing her.

Didn't I read that the little girl tested positive from HS-2? You don't get that from a toilet seat.

Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected.

Regardless of the exam -- wouldn't that be enought to remove the child until everyone in the home was tested (even though the momster denied the boyfriend). I'm sure LE would find out pretty quick.

I read that the HSV-1 and HSV-2 virus' can not live outside of the body but for a short period of time. By short period of time, I mean seconds. So there is almost no chance of getting the virus from a mattress or toilet seat. But I'm not a Dr.

ETA: Kudos to the judge, too. The only person in the lot who is for the children!

Mel

6angels
08-14-2009, 02:50 AM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6564570.html

Justice in this case does seem to be moving slowly - it took over a month for the autopsy results to be released.
OH BULL CRAP. They left him on the streets all this time and he could be abusing other children. He should of been arrested THAT day so he could not of abused another child. UGH UGH

BTW the social worker that came out and anyone else that seen the child and did not recommand the child be removed should be charged with neglict IMO

6angels
08-14-2009, 02:51 AM

about damn time

6angels
08-14-2009, 03:21 AM
http://www.kbtx.com/state/headlines/52962227.html

Trinity Medical Center CEO John Simms said when Young was hired, a background check revealed no charges filed against her. He also said Young had access to children at the hospital, but it was supervised.

"Ms. Young was employed based on her qualifications as a registered nurse and she was completing her orientation and actually worked one shift prior to her arrest," Simms said.
When working around children ( EVERY supervised) a CPS(dhs) record also needs to be pulled!!! each and EVERY TIME and then needs to be REPULLED every few months!!

6angels
08-14-2009, 03:26 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090812_emma_thompson_mother_posts_bond

Abigail Young's attorneys say their client is a mother who just lost her daughter and has not been allowed to grieve. Young made her first appearance before a judge in the case of her daughter's death at the Harris County Criminal Courthouse on Wednesday morning.

When FOX 26 reporter Andrea Watkins suggested to the attorney that a lot can happen in one week, Amman said,"Sure. A lot can happen in a week, but not on her part. I think you should be talking to Mr. Coe." With that, Amann abruptly ended the interview
She is a nurse ....... She is TRAINED to spot child abuse but YET she can't spot it when it's her OWN CHILD?

6angels
08-14-2009, 03:33 AM

more at the link.

YOUR WRONG. YOU DON"T BELONG IN JAIL?? How about YOUR CHILD don't belong in a casket! :mad::mad::mad::furious::furious::furious::furious ::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

6angels
08-14-2009, 03:34 AM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emma7-1.jpg
There is a angel in that photo, to bad the devil is right beside her. :furious:

6angels
08-14-2009, 03:43 AM
http://www.khou.com/video/raw-index.html?nvid=388553 here her attorney is saying she did what any sain mother would do. WTH?? a SAIN mother would of never allowed her CHILD ALONG WITH A MAN SHE HAS JUST STARTED DATING!!! A SAIN MOTHER ( that's a NuRSE) WOULD OF PROTECTED HER CHILD.

OH it's gets better the attorney is mad the mom didn't get to attend her daughters service bc CPS stoped her from attending the service.. WELL THANK YOU JESUS .CPS atleast did one thing right!! They stopped a child abuser from going to the service THAT SHE CAUSED. She would of just caused the attention to be on herself. WHY IS SHE CRYING NOW?!!? Where was she as HER child was crying? THERE IS NO WAY that the baby had THAT type of injuries and she did not cry out!! NO WAY NONE ZIP ZERO.

She is playing the oh pitty me. PITTY me my butt. YOU DID THIS YOU AND THAT so called MAN. UGH UGH UGH UGH .

6angels
08-14-2009, 04:03 AM
her's in black. Mine other
and here!! they ask her why she agreed to talk to them today....

Guess what she said? NO she didn't say to get her DAUGHTER'S story out OH NO!! She said to get HER( all about her!) story out and how SHE is feeling . Get a clue lady. NOONE cares how YOU ArE FEELING. YOU don't matter.

Then she goes on to say words can not discribe the hell that SHe's IN? WHAT ABOUT THE HELL HER CHILD WAS IN??

She says.
"My hope is that somehow God took care of her and that she didn't know what was happening to her,"

YES I HOPE God did take care of Emma because YOU DID NOT TAKE CARE OF HER. and Yes unfortunally Emma did know what was happaning to her. She knew her MOMMY was not taking care of her!!!!!

They ask her if one part has been the hardest.

She ( the monster) says I THINK the death?
WTH? YOU THINK??? Don't you mean YOU KNOW the death has been the hardest? WTH do you mean you THINK?

She says it was not a natural order of things for your kids to go before you.......

Listen Lady it is not natural for a MOM to NOT protect their child. YOU are what is not Natural.

She says her best memory of her was everyday. Everyday was a good memory with her.

EVERYDAY? what about the days YOU and YOUR boy friend was abusing her? that was NOT a good day for this baby :(

She says she was the most loving child.

it's to bad YOU couldn't care for her or be a loving mom.

She wants to take a BLEACH BATH and SHE HAS

She could take a bath in Holy water and it not be enough.God knows what you did and YOU WILL BE PUNISHED if not on earth in after life.

She says people thinking she hurt her child is adding insult to injury.

WHAT about the insult to this baby???? that was not protected!!!

She keeps saying HOW DARE YOU HOW DARE YOU for the thing she wants to say to him. Excuse me lady but how DARE YOU.

She says everyday is a new day and she will put one foot forward

but emma can't put one foot forward :(

She says she wants everyone to know there is always another side to the story..

yes there is.... and its emma's story not yours.

She let her children go to the service so they could have closure. Lady your children will most likely NEVER have closure from this :(

She can't believe she was arrested because she says shes innocent. I can't believe she allowed her child to be murdered.

SewingDeb
08-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Paintr, from the comments after one of the linked articles, I get the impression that Emma's mother's family has money and are influential in the community. Maybe the house was a gift.

SewingDeb
08-14-2009, 06:37 AM

Mel

According to one article, CPS is who made the mother take Emma to the hospital. In that same article, it says the type of herpes found is not genital herpes. That's not what other articles say so who knows?

CPS was very aware...says herpes can be picked up in other ways than sexually so that is why she was allowed to stay in her mother's home.

IWannaKnow
08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
According to one article, CPS is who made the mother take Emma to the hospital. In that same article, it says the type of herpes found is not genital herpes. That's not what other articles say so who knows?

CPS was very aware...says herpes can be picked up in other ways than sexually so that is why she was allowed to stay in her mother's home.

What I have found on the internet refutes CPS's claims:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Herpes-transmission/show/246612
~snipped and BBM~
"by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D., Oct 02, 2005 12:00AM
As others already responded, your questions have been addressed. Nonsexual transmission of genital HSV infection (whether HSV-1 or -2) has never been shown to happen. If it does, it is exceedingly rare. If contact with toilet seats could spread herpes, people would show up in clinics with rings of lesions around their buttocks and thighs. Anyway, HSV probably has to be massaged into genital tissues for there to be a significant risk of transmission, not just applied to the surface of the skin.

As for oral (HSV-1) infection, common-sense hygiene is all you need to worry about. In particular, if you're having an oubreak of symptomatic cold sores, don't share glasses with people and don't kiss anyone.

Good luck-- HHH, MD"

I know the internet is not infallible, but from a earlier post by me it was stated that non-sexual transmission is extremely rare and in a prepubertal child sex abuse should always be suspected. As stated above, if non-sexual transmission were soooooo easy, we would all be walking around with it from public toilet seats. But you be the judge, do your own research. MOO

fhc
08-14-2009, 01:38 PM
The vigil last night

http://www.khou.com/video/topstories-index.html?nvid=389073

CuriousTwo
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Here are news story links from today and yesterday that I've gathered:

Friday, 8/14:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou090813_mp_vigil-for-emma-thompson.d9ee3ab1.html

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/090813_emma_thompson_vigil

http://www.click2houston.com/news/20371273/detail.html

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-child-abuse-story,0,432700,print.story

Thursday, 8/13:

http://www.theeagle.com/local/Mom-out-on--50K-bail

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/53085887.html

http://www.theeagle.com/local/Autopsy-leads-to-2-arrests

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9A0L2PO0.html

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-emmas-mother-out-of-jail-story,0,408701,print.story

CuriousTwo
08-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Two photos from the prayer vigil video -

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emmaa.jpg

Emma's aunt -
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/carsuch/emmab.jpg

CuriousTwo
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
THERE IS NO WAY that the baby had THAT type of injuries and she did not cry out!! NO WAY NONE ZIP ZERO.

This is exactly what I'm struggling with ...

I have been trying really hard to come up with some explanation that might explain how this woman could have innocently not noticed what was happening, but I come up with nothing.

The fact that I keep coming back to is that the reports say that Emma suffered abuse for possibly days prior to her death. That, coupled with the fact that the woman is a nurse, just prevents me from accepting that she couldn't have known.

Do you all see any way that this woman couldn't have known? I just can't at this point - poor Emma had to be in extreme pain and agony to a degree that it should have been obvious it wasn't due to the usual childhood aches and pains.

Sorry to ramble, I just tried to give AY the benefit of doubt and I just can't at this point.

6angels
08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
This is exactly what I'm struggling with ...

I have been trying really hard to come up with some explanation that might explain how this woman could have innocently not noticed what was happening, but I come up with nothing.

The fact that I keep coming back to is that the reports say that Emma suffered abuse for possibly days prior to her death. That, coupled with the fact that the woman is a nurse, just prevents me from accepting that she couldn't have known.

Do you all see any way that this woman couldn't have known? I just can't at this point - poor Emma had to be in extreme pain and agony to a degree that it should have been obvious it wasn't due to the usual childhood aches and pains.

Sorry to ramble, I just tried to give AY the benefit of doubt and I just can't at this point.
Do pigs fly?

Cicada
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I just have one question. When the doctor and CPS discovered this child had herpes, did they ask this child if anyone had been hurting or touching her? No where have I read that they asked the child anything. She was 4 years old. She could have told them Lucas was there, since her mother didn't seem to think that was an important piece of information. Maybe if they had asked the child or her siblings, this beautiful child could have been removed from the home before death. (imo)

believe09
08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I wonder if CPS was present when Emma was examined for the herpes? I wonder if they allowed the momster in this case to report back to them the nonsense regarding herpes not being indicative of sexual abuse? Because she was a white collar worker.

Young has absolutely no plausible defense-neighbors are turning her in, she clearly knew that Coe should not have been around her children or his own...She and her attorney may have dreams that they will win a war of words in the media or that Coe will be a good fall guy, but we have all been educated by the Anthony case-we get the fact that middle class breeds this kind of horrific behavior too.

Her interviews are nauseating because of being so self involved and self serving. There is nothing more to say except she deserves life if she is convicted of this crime.

fhc
08-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I just have one question. When the doctor and CPS discovered this child had herpes, did they ask this child if anyone had been hurting or touching her? No where have I read that they asked the child anything. She was 4 years old. She could have told them Lucas was there, since her mother didn't seem to think that was an important piece of information. Maybe if they had asked the child or her siblings, this beautiful child could have been removed from the home before death. (imo)

CPS did ask 4 yr old Emma. Their have been reports that neighbors over heard Abby coaching her other 2 daughters after Emma's murder.

CuriousTwo
08-16-2009, 09:04 PM
CPS did ask 4 yr old Emma. Their have been reports that neighbors over heard Abby coaching her other 2 daughters after Emma's murder.

Here's the link:

(Snipped by me)

GeorgieFayne
08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Did anyone notice this?

She died after being rushed to Memorial Hermann-The Woodlands Hospital by her mother, a registered nurse, on June 27. A neighbor reported that the night of Emma's death, Young said the fatal injuries were caused by two separate falls — and that she tried to save her daughter's life by using Super Glue to close a wound on her head.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6564570.html

!!!!
This is the "gifted nurse"???

jaycee
08-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Did anyone notice this?

!!!!
This is the "gifted nurse"???Apparently, super glue can be used instead of stitches to close a wound. Google 'super glue stitch serious cut'. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-56352395.html

Boyz_Mum
08-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Apparently, super glue can be used instead of stitches to close a wound. Google 'super glue stitch serious cut'. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-56352395.html

I don't know if "super glue" was used on one of my children's cuts in the ER, but it was an adhesive and the doctor said it would help with less scarring than a traditional stitch. I don't think it's meant to be used to cover a gaping wound or anything but it is used (the adhesive).

I'd never try it at home! JMO.

GeorgieFayne
08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks, guys...you learn something new every day!

Mama-cita
08-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Apparently, super glue can be used instead of stitches to close a wound. Google 'super glue stitch serious cut'. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-56352395.html

The superglue that is used in emergency rooms to close minor (note: minor) lacerations is MEDICAL grade and created specifically for that purpose. My son required this several years ago because he ran into his brother and split his head just above his eyelid. Because of where it was, and his young age, the doctors wanted to use the medical grade glue because it would have required a plastic surgeon and lots of time to stitch it up, the kid was only 3 so they gave us a choice. We took the glue. Serious OPEN wounds should not be self-closed with around the house super glue. I am a nurse, and have been a nurse much longer than Abbey Young, and I WOULD NOT do that to my child, I would have a physician examine it and decide the best course of treatment. I am neither trained nor licensed to diagnose an injury and it's proper course of treatment. So clearly, Abbey Young is lacking in judgment. Not only was her daughter being raped by her boyfriend, right under her nose, her daughter was infected with the same STD that Coe had given Abbey, and her "gifted nurse"/"motherly instinct" was to cover for Coe not protect her baby. She is a sick, pathetic excuse for a human being and I hope a jury sees right through her self-serving PR.

Mama-cita
08-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't know if "super glue" was used on one of my children's cuts in the ER, but it was an adhesive and the doctor said it would help with less scarring than a traditional stitch. I don't think it's meant to be used to cover a gaping wound or anything but it is used (the adhesive).

Right on BOYZ, you wouldn't do it yourself at home! Also you are correct, it is not for a gaping wound! It suits a minor laceration that would require few stitches.

Boyz_Mum
08-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Right on BOYZ, you wouldn't do it yourself at home! Also you are correct, it is not for a gaping wound! It suits a minor laceration that would require few stitches.

Regular old "super glue" stings like heck if you get it in an open cut- even in the ER, IIRC, the doctor injected a little numbing agent before gluing my son's eyelid (probably similar to your son's above the eyelid injury.)

FWIW, plastic surgeons have a doozey of a time taking the glue off if there is something that requires the removal of the glue. Make sure if you're in the position with a wound on the face, that the glue is the best option for you (otherwise, ask for a plastic surgeon to look at the wound). :twocents:

Sorry for the somewhat off topic.

I agree that Emma's mom should have used better judgement when dealing with the wound she tried to seal with glue. If my child were injured to the extent Emma was injured, I would have called 911 immediately, not spent a moment trying to "fix" the injury. JMO.

willow
08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I'll bet she glued it so she wouldn't have to take her (Emma) to the hospital. You know, cover it up. Thought she'd get away with it, too. Didn't NOTICE Emma was dying. Practicing medicine w/o a license.

Please.

ohiogirl
08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I hope the other two children have been checked out and they are ok. Does anyone know how old they are? Surely, they would be able to tell LE what was going on in that house?

CuriousTwo
08-17-2009, 07:33 PM

With 80 contusions on Emma's little body, covering a head wound wouldn't have made her injuries less noticeable. So sad! The act of desperation, to me.

CuriousTwo
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I hope the other two children have been checked out and they are ok. Does anyone know how old they are? Surely, they would be able to tell LE what was going on in that house?

I believe they're 11 and 5 (will have to verify that). LE was trying to severely limit AY's access to the children due to the fact that the children are witnesses to the abuse/crime.

CuriousTwo
08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
PROTECTIVE SERVICES
CPS under fire in death of Emma Thompson

By RANDY BURTON
Aug. 15, 2009, 4:39PM

The death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson has enraged the Houston community. According to news reports, Emma's mother ignored the abuse of her own child, denied it to the authorities and attempted to hide it by super-gluing her baby's skull together. This “gifted nurse” claimed Emma's injuries were self-inflicted and that she had contracted genital herpes from a dirty toilet seat. Neighbors and others who suspected abuse should have notified the authorities, something required of all Texans over the age of 18. But, judging by their comments on the story on the Houston Chronicle's Web site, Houstonians have reserved their strongest criticism for Child Protective Services. The agency, which was fully aware that Emma had contracted a sexually transmitted disease, failed to remove her from the home. [snipped]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/6574076.html

Marina2
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Paintr, from the comments after one of the linked articles, I get the impression that Emma's mother's family has money and are influential in the community. Maybe the house was a gift.
One of the articles states that AY's mother is CEO of the hospital AY worked at. That's where the influence and money comes from.

Boyz_Mum
08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
While I'm not fond of the way CPS performs (in general), I truly feel the brunt of the responsibility has to be laid at the feet of the parents. In this case, I don't see where Emma's dad could have changed the circumstances, even petitioning for custody would have been more time consuming than the 30 days or less it took for mom's boyfriend to kill this baby.

I believe that Abigail needs to be punished to the full extent of the law (which probably isn't enough time). It's not up to "the system" to raise our children, it's up to us. Mothers in the animal kingdom are doing a better job than some of the idiots we read about. I could try petting a bear cub and test the theory but I'd rather not. :furious:

Paintr
08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-child-abuse-story,0,1060236.story

Fifteen days after 4-year-old Emma Thompson visited a hospital for a sexual abuse exam - she was dead. Her initial exam showed no sign of trauma, but an autopsy later revealed that between the time she visited the hospital and the time she died, Emma had suffered 80 bruises, a fracture to her skull, and sexual trauma.

A national report estimates that 95% of sexually abused children are abused by a family member or someone they trust.

fhc
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6576234.html#

A CASE HISTORY OF TRAGEDY
‘THE SYSTEM FAILED EMMA'
By TERRI LANGFORD Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 17, 2009, 8:48PM

Read how many children could have been saved from Lucas Coe's abuse if the system in place, parole & probation systems and the Judge that over and over again allowed this monster to remain in public until he finally tortured, raped, and murdered Emma.

Boyz_Mum
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6576234.html#

A CASE HISTORY OF TRAGEDY
‘THE SYSTEM FAILED EMMA'
By TERRI LANGFORD Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 17, 2009, 8:48PM

Read how many children could have been saved from Lucas Coe's abuse if the system in place, parole & probation systems and the Judge that over and over again allowed this monster to remain in public until he finally tortured, raped, and murdered Emma.

Thanks fhc for the article. I understand the anger at "the system", it has it's flaws, for sure. When mothers lie about what's happening in their home, it seems like it would be very hard for the system to combat that angle effectively.

I'm not trying to be argumentive about a terrible system, I am really just sickened by these situations happening on a daily basis. Everyday that I think it can't get any worse, it does.

Paintr
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
From above article...

Fifteen days after 4-year-old Emma Thompson visited a hospital for a sexual abuse exam - she was dead. Her initial exam showed no sign of trauma, but an autopsy later revealed that between the time she visited the hospital and the time she died, Emma had suffered 80 bruises, a fracture to her skull, and sexual trauma.

Just wondering...

Emma was examined and officially no signs of abuse were found.

I wonder what Coe was thinking after this. Did he consider that these negative results meant that he would have a period of time where no one would check again? So he was free to esclate the abuse?

Or did he consider this check up, by order of CPS, the 'begining of the end' and he had nothing left to lose? Maybe he was angry at the thought of getting caught and took that anger out on Emma.

What was Mom thinking after having to subject little Emma to such a check up?

Just trying to understand how the abuse got so bad so quickly.

Angels_Not_Forgotten
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
From above article...

Just wondering...

I wonder what Coe was thinking after this. Did he consider that these negative results meant that he would have a period of time where no one would check again? So he was free to esclate the abuse?

Or did he consider this check up, by order of CPS, the 'begining of the end' and he had nothing left to lose? Maybe he was angry at the thought of getting caught and took that anger out on Emma.

You know good questions! i'm also leaning towards he felt like he had "Gotten away with it" in a sense, so maybe he figured well just a little more won't hurt. :(

believe09
08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
I just linked a story about a new pediatric subspecialty in child abuse. I wonder how easy it is to spot sexual assault of a child this age...other than the blatant blinking light of the herpes that is. If he had no history of violence to this child before the discovery of the herpes-maybe the child decided to say no or fought back against a bad touch?

Paintr
08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
You know good questions! i'm also leaning towards he felt like he had "Gotten away with it" in a sense, so maybe he figured well just a little more won't hurt. :(

I just can't seem to wrap my head around this mother.

I have sympathy for CPS. They are probably overworked and overrun with cases. I can't imagine facing cases of child abuse everyday when you are right there with the abused child and often the suspected offenders in the same room (not once removed as we are on here) It must be overwhelming! They were probably grateful to think that here was one case they were mistaken about. That Emma was ok.

But the mother raised no such sympathy in me. I am glad she was charged and hope family money/influence make no difference in the outcome of her trial.

Cicada
08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
From above article...

Just wondering...

I think Mom had an idea what was going on all along. Why else would she go to the trouble of making sure CPS didn't know Lucas was in the home? Why else would she be coaching her other other children while her baby was dead or dying?

Paintr
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I think Mom had an idea what was going on all along. Why else would she go to the trouble of making sure CPS didn't know Lucas was in the home? Why else would she be coaching her other other children while her baby was dead or dying?

ITA! I hope 'mommy' doesn't wiggle out of this by blaming Coe. They both need to be held responsible.

CuriousTwo
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree that CPS isn't solely to blame. If AY had been honest with CPS and put the safety and well-being of her children above her attraction to this man, CPS could have taken steps to protect Emma. I do think that the fact that AY is an RN had a lot to do with her credibility in the eyes of CPS. They gave her the benefit of doubt that Emma's herpes was passed from AY to Emma in the course of living together. Had CPS been told that Coe was living there they could have taken action. CPS cannot do it all alone - they cannot sit outside someone's home to see who the occupants are exposing their children to.

When parents take responsibility for their own actions and take measures to protect their children, things will change. Until then, this horrible tragedy will unfortunately be repeated. JMHO.

GeorgieFayne
08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't understand how the herpes in Emma's *mouth* didn't strike the examiners as suspicious. How do you get that from a toilet seat? IMO, ball dropped by all involved.

fhc
08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks fhc for the article. I understand the anger at "the system", it has it's flaws, for sure. When mothers lie about what's happening in their home, it seems like it would be very hard for the system to combat that angle effectively.

I'm not trying to be argumentive about a terrible system, I am really just sickened by these situations happening on a daily basis. Everyday that I think it can't get any worse, it does.

I was referencing all the times Coe violated probation and continued to abuse his children and his former gf's children and each time, 7 violations, the judge & probation officials let him go. The link I gave to the Houston Chronicle relates some of his offenses.

CuriousTwo
08-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't understand how the herpes in Emma's *mouth* didn't strike the examiners as suspicious. How do you get that from a toilet seat? IMO, ball dropped by all involved.

The toilet seat story was told by AY to her husband when he questioned how Emma could have gotten it:

“Thompson said his wife told him that the type of herpes their daughter contracted had started out as a “childhood” version and had somehow developed into the sexual disease adults contract. He also said his wife told him that their daughter could have contracted the disease from a toilet seat.” http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/breaking/6551978.html

Is it possible that if Emma had open genital sores, touched herself (as all children do) and then put her hands in her mouth, that she could then get the sores in her mouth. At least, that's my guess. Does anyone know if that can happen?

Emma's grandmother stated that AY has herpes as well:

“The girls are currently living with their grandmother in Brenham. She testified Wednesday that she knew her daughter had the same STD that was later found in Emma's system.” http://www.click2houston.com/news/20222590/detail.html

--------------------
If CPS knew that AY had it, then when she told them that she had no boyfriend, no other adults (other than family and day care) had access to Emma, and no other adult was living with them, they gave her the benefit of doubt - that Emma got it from her.

“Throughout the investigation, Ms. Young denied that anyone other than her and her husband and the day care (center) had access to her children,” Olguin said. “She denied seeing anybody else or having a boyfriend.” http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6555444.html

Does any of this make sense? Or, am I being dilusional? LOL!

CuriousTwo
08-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I was referencing all the times Coe violated probation and continued to abuse his children and his former gf's children and each time, 7 violations, the judge & probation officials let him go. The link I gave to the Houston Chronicle relates some of his offenses.

Reminds me of drunk drivers who have double-digit DUI convictions, still have their driver's license, and are still driving drunk and endangering lives.

Laws and sentences definitely need to be strengthened.

CuriousTwo
08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I hope it's okay that I post this. If not, please delete, Mods. I checked the "Rules" thread and didn't see a reference to this.

“ …it is a matter of time before this will be picked up by national media. There is a powerful group on the east coast that is currently working to get Nancy Grace (CNN) to "pick up" on this story. This takes time but they won't give up on Nancy Grace. If that happens, look out!!! Also, it appears there are various groups in Houston that are going to band together (because of this horrific crime) and seek JUSTICE for Precious Little Emma - be little Emma's voice! There is power in numbers. We all need to stick together and seek Justice for Emma! The more exposure this gets; the better it is. It will bring awareness to child abuse and this just does not happen in low income homes ..." [snipped]

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/53085887.html

Would be very interesting if Nancy and/or CNN picked up this case.

=====================================

I believe they're 11 and 5 (will have to verify that). LE was trying to severely limit AY's access to the children due to the fact that the children are witnesses to the abuse/crime.

Correction:

“State District Judge Judy Warne directed Children's Protective Services to retrieve the girls, ages 6 and 11, and deliver them to the paternal grandparents. The father of the slain girl, Emma Thompson, and the surviving 6-year-old also lives there. The 11-year-old has a different father.”

GeorgieFayne
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
If CPS knew that AY had it, then when she told them that she had no boyfriend, no other adults (other than family and day care), and no other adult was living with them, they gave her the benefit of double - that Emma got it from her.

“Throughout the investigation, Ms. Young denied that anyone other than her and her husband and the day care (center) had access to her children,” Olguin said. “She denied seeing anybody else or having a boyfriend.” http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6555444.html

No, you make sense, CuriousTwo. I guess this all happened in such a short time frame and I don't really know much about the medical issues involved. It's all just so hard hard to believe...and heartbreaking.

believe09
08-18-2009, 09:32 PM
The toilet seat story was told by AY to her husband when he questioned how Emma could have gotten it:

“Thompson said his wife told him that the type of herpes their daughter contracted had started out as a “childhood” version and had somehow developed into the sexual disease adults contract. He also said his wife told him that their daughter could have contracted the disease from a toilet seat.” http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/breaking/6551978.html

Is it possible that if Emma had open genital sores, touched herself (as all children do) and then put her hands in her mouth, that she could then get the sores in her mouth. At least, that's my guess. Does anyone know if that can happen?

Emma's grandmother stated that AY has herpes as well:

“The girls are currently living with their grandmother in Brenham. She testified Wednesday that she knew her daughter had the same STD that was later found in Emma's system.” http://www.click2houston.com/news/20222590/detail.html

--------------------
If CPS knew that AY had it, then when she told them that she had no boyfriend, no other adults (other than family and day care) had access to Emma, and no other adult was living with them, they gave her the benefit of doubt - that Emma got it from her.

Transmission is caused by close oral, anal, or genital contact, including intercourse, masturbation, kissing, or any direct skin-to-skin contact which allows for the transfer of bodily fluids.
A person is considered contagious when prodromal symptoms, active sores, and healing lesions are present.
Herpes is potentially contagious when no symptoms are present. That is, a person who has genital herpes is potentially always shedding active virus.
Approximately 1 in 6 members of the general infected population is thought to shed active virus occasionally without symptoms.
Some people do not get typical blister-like sores but harbor active virus in their saliva, vaginal, or penile secretions, and can shed the virus without knowing they have herpes.

http://www.herpes.com/genitalinfo.shtml

Herpes can be killed by soap and water. And how is someone sitting on a toilet seat in such a way that their genitals are touching the seat unless they have an anal infection??? Sorry to be so graphic.

Boyz_Mum
08-19-2009, 12:05 AM

I understand what you were typing about, that's why I said I wasn't trying to seem argumentive. :blowkiss: I am frustrated with parents (first and foremost) and then I get bothered by "the system" in place. None of my frustration was meant to be directed at/toward you.

I am very angry at the women who have covered for Coe. Personally, I wish that someone, anyone would have put a bullet in his head vs giving him the chance to hurt their children. I apologize if my opinion of Coe and the women who love him bothers anyone.

fhc
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Doesn't bother me, BoyzMom. Coe even sexually abused his own daughter with the same name and the same age.

Boyz_Mum
08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Doesn't bother me, BoyzMom. Coe even sexually abused his own daughter with the same name and the same age.

Makes me wish he'd run into a little vigilante justice while he's in jail waiting for his day in court. :furious:

fhc
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes that is long overdue.

CuriousTwo
08-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Man Charged In 4-year-old's Death Has Long Criminal History
One of the two suspects arrested in connection with the death of a 4-year old girl is no stranger to jail or courtrooms. [snipped]

Complete article here:
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/53736867.html

CuriousTwo
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
From the News Desk — Heartbreaking story raises tough questions for all

Published:
Friday, August 21, 2009 1:24 PM CDT

There seems to be concern that your local newspaper has not provided enough coverage regarding the tragic death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson.

It is a gut-wrenching story.

The story centered around the child’s death and the subsequent charges filed against her mother, Abigail Young, and her mother’s friend, Lucas Coe. Both have been charged with felony injury to a child, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The horrible treatment and subsequent death of Emma has been told many times, and there is no need to repeat it here.

Keep in mind that all of this sordid affair occurred in Montgomery County, near The Woodlands.

The connection to Brenham is this: the mother grew up here. Her grandmother still lives here.

That alone doesn’t make it a local story. We have Brenham natives who move away and do great things — and bad things — and we don’t cover it in The Banner-Press.

There are many reasons. First, Washington County is our beat. We don’t have the personnel to gather the necessary facts from areas outside our community.

What did make this a local story was when the child’s mother, a registered nurse, returned to Brenham and went to work for Trinity Medical Center for a brief period of time.

Shortly after she went to work for Trinity, we carried a story. It happened the day after charges were filed against Abigail Young and Coe.

Keep in mind that until Aug. 10, no charges were filed against anyone. Most would agree they were coming, but no one knew for sure.

This issue is further complicated by the fact that Emma’s grandmother works as executive director of Trinity Medical Center Foundation, the fundraising arm of the hospital.

The naysayers are quick to assume the hiring was an inside deal.

The hospital’s chief executive, John Simms, issued a statement following the arrest of Emma’s mother saying: 1) her record was clean when checked by the hospital, 2) normal hiring procedures were followed and 3) she had been in orientation for the short period of employment.

However, the newspaper, in representing the community, is seeking more information regarding the hospital’s hiring of Abigail Young during the tumultuous time of the investigation that led to charges being filed against her.

The question most asked is not whether the hiring was legal, but was it the safe and appropriate thing to do. Should someone who obviously had many gut-wrenching and heart breaking issues crossing their mind minute by minute, the most obvious is the horrible death of her daughter, be on the front line of delivering health care.

In full disclosure, this writer is a member of the hospital board, and has been off and on for the last 25 years. Also, this writer knows John Simms and Emma’s grandmother, Margie Young. And, without reservation, one can say they have given their all in making Trinity the wonderful community hospital that it is.

They are the kind of folks you want on your side when times are tough.

However, that does not entitle anyone to a free pass.

When it comes to the start-to-finish coverage of this story, The Houston Chronicle is doing an outstanding job. They are able to review the facts of Emma’s death, but the efforts of the Child Protective Service and the Montgomery County court system. What happened with Emma is not an isolated case in this state. It is a state-wide issue, and the Chronicle is seeking to make it a state-wide concern. And, rightfully so.

However, our attention is focused on our hospital, an institution that has been widely supported by the community through the years.

Residents need to know there was no undue influence regarding the hiring and of Emma’s mother as a nurse at Trinity. And, even if there was none, whether it be explained that she even should have been working in the area of nursing at that time.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/08/21/opinion/editorials/edit01.txt

willow
08-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Please.

CYA. JMO

CuriousTwo
08-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Hospital officials say no ‘red flags’ raised in nurse’s hiring

Published:
Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:52 AM CDT

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a response from John Simms, Trinity Medical Center’s chief executive officer, to a Friday column by Banner-Press editor/publisher Charles Moser and questions e-mailed to Simms by the newspaper.

The column and questions pertained to the hiring of Abigail Young, whose 4-year-old daughter Emma Thompson died June 27 under suspicious circumstances.

Young was hired to the hospital’s nursing staff after Emma’s death and was later charged (along with her boyfriend Lucas Ruric Coe) with felony injury to a child.

The death of Emma Thompson on June 27 was a tragic event that has affected this entire community, including those of us who work at Trinity Medical Center.

I know that many people in Brenham have concerns about the fact that Emma’s mother, Abigail Young, worked at Trinity Medical Center for a brief period of time before her arrest Aug. 10. I hope that this response will ease those concerns and answer your questions about this situation.

In July, Abigail Young submitted an employment application for a position as a registered nurse at Trinity. Trinity verified with the Texas Board of Nursing that Ms. Young had a current nursing license with no disciplinary action in her file.

On July 24, Trinity checked and received no negative references from Ms. Young’s previous employers, including her employer at the time, The Woman’s Hospital of Texas. Other pre-employment conditions required by all applicants such as a criminal history check, drug screen, back evaluation and physical examination, were successfully completed.

Ms. Young was then interviewed by several department directors for open positions within the hospital. The departmental directors consulted with the director of human resources and then offered Ms. Young an RN position at the hospital.

I have confirmed that Trinity Medical Center personnel were not pressured in any way to hire Ms. Young due to her family’s relationship with the hospital.

Ms. Young’s first day of work at the hospital was Friday, July 31. At that time, Trinity Medical Center employees were aware that there was an ongoing investigation into the death of Ms. Young’s child but did not know any details regarding that investigation.

Based on what we knew from the Houston newspapers, the Harris County Sheriff’s Department had not named any suspects at that point.

At all times during her employment at Trinity Medical Center, Ms. Young was under the direct supervision of other Trinity employees and did not provide independent patient care. For the first few days of Ms. Young’s employment, she attended new employee orientation, reviewed departmental policies and procedures, and worked in the sterile supply area.

On Monday, Aug. 10, Ms. Young was assigned to observe and assist an experienced nurse. Ms. Young was arrested at Trinity Medical Center toward the end of her shift that day. Ms. Young was immediately terminated as of Aug. 10.

Trinity Medical Center has cared for the citizens of Brenham and Washington County for more than 75 years. Our dedicated team of employees works day and night to be available to the residents of our community and we strive to provide the same level of care that we would provide to our own families.

The entire staff at Trinity Medical Center has been deeply affected by this tragic event and has extended its heartfelt sympathy to the family.

As Trinity’s CEO, it is a privilege and honor to serve with such a wonderful group of qualified health care professionals. I want to assure the Brenham community that Trinity’s board, physicians, nurses, and other qualified professionals are committed to caring for our patients, and we will continue to do our best each and every day to provide the highest possible level of care to you and your loved ones.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/08/22/news/news004.txt

CuriousTwo
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
LETTERS
Many people failed Emma

HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Aug. 22, 2009, 9:15PM

Blame mother

Regarding “A case history of tragedy; ‘The system failed Emma' ” (Page A1, Aug. 16), all these things most certainly were failures leading up to the tragic end this innocent child came to, and I sincerely hope that these judges and prosecutors are scrutinized for their oversights and nonchalance. There was, however, a failure far greater than those listed: that of her mother to protect her and to put aside the mind-set of “I have to have a man no matter what.” Please do not publish her saying she did not know. We are all far too intelligent for that.

Absurd chain

The headline “The System Failed Emma” is misleading. The primary error was committed by the people involved in the system. State District Judge Marc Carter, the numerous prosecutors, the other judges involved and the probation officers are the responsible parties, first and foremost. Each and every one in the absurd chain of events that culminated in little Emma's gruesome death should be clearly identified and removed permanently from their positions, lest another innocent child be brutalized to death. Yes, the system also obviously needs to be improved, but let's pinpoint where the blame truly lies, and that is with those who made those pathetic decisions that killed 4-year-old Emma.

Not the system

With all due respect to Houston Victim Assistance Coordinator Andy Kahan, the system is not the primary failure in the death of Emma Thompson. The girl's mother is. I cannot for the life of me understand how the mother could find a man convicted of aggravated assault, a history of child abuse allegations and a penchant for flouting the law to be good boyfriend material. How is that kind of vacuity even possible?

Common sense

When are we going to start protecting our children? The very thought that Lucas Coe was “excused” on five occasions and not put behind bars is incredible. Certainly, the ability of Judge Marc Carter to make wise decisions needs to be reevaluated. But even more disturbing is the fact that Child Protective Services knew this baby had a sexually transmitted disease and sent her back home to live with a convicted felon. Where was the common sense? A person off the street would put the facts together — someone convicted of assault living with a 4-year-old with genital herpes? Protect the child first, then investigate. Why did they allow this innocent baby to go back into that home?

Not only the justice system but also the child- advocate system sided with the beast over the beautiful child. It isn't just unbelievable. It is insane. It is horrible. It is unforgivable.

CPS faulted

Where was the mother, Abigail Young, when Emma received 80 bruises? That didn't happen overnight. Where was she when Emma was raped and contracted a sexually transmitted disease? Where was Child Protective Services? It had the opportunity to step in and help this little darling; CPS staffers knew of the herpes. Why didn't CPS investigate further?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/6583454.html

SondraK
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
There are so many "coulda", "shoulda", "woulda" instances that failed to protect Emma..
My question is: What are we going to do better next time because that time is NOW.
I hope this will be a wake up call to all concerned, but my faith is limited.

IWannaKnow
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Emma case spurs new CPS guidelines
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6587297.html

First the good:

"CPS officials examined the investigator's work in Emma's case, and although they determined she did nothing wrong, the agency has issued new guidelines.

“The review identified additional steps that could be taken in future cases where the only evidence is a sexually-transmitted disease of unknown origin,” said Patrick Crimmins, CPS spokesman in Austin. The recommendations from the review will be given to all caseworkers.

If a suspected child abuse victim tests positive for a STD, all children in that victim's household will be tested as well. Any child who tests positive will have a sexual abuse exam and a more thorough “forensic” interview with child abuse specialists at a Children's Assessment Center."

Now the bad:
"Emma was originally scheduled to be examined at Children's Assessment Center but no interviewer was available. Instead, CPS and the child's pediatrician referred her to Texas Children's Hospital. Also, investigators have been told to aggressively pursue potential witnesses by interviewing neighbors in cases where a child tests positive for a STD. The CPS investigator in Emma's case did not.

Later, in a custody hearing involving Emma's sisters, a neighbor testified that she had confronted the girls' mother, Abigail Young, after seeing blood on Emma's panties the day before she died. Young told the neighbor Emma had scratched her vagina getting out of a pool."

I want to hurt that woman, reeeaaalllll bbbaaaadddddd.......

joga
08-26-2009, 05:29 PM
just when i think i can't hate her any more...it's so mind boggling, how could she do that? i guess it doesn't make sense to us because there's just no making sense of it. the more that comes out, i do believe she will pay for her crimes, there were just too many things that happened for her to try to act like she didn't know. how i wish a journalist with some b$lls would interview her and just nail her to the wall. lay out all of the lies to CPS, her neighbors confrontations, her daughters injuries and they ask her point blank HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU SIT HERE AND SAY YOU DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING, YOU'RE A LIAR!...oh how she would squirm...

kaas
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Emma case spurs new CPS guidelines
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6587297.html

First the good:

"CPS officials examined the investigator's work in Emma's case, and although they determined she did nothing wrong, the agency has issued new guidelines.

“The review identified additional steps that could be taken in future cases where the only evidence is a sexually-transmitted disease of unknown origin,” said Patrick Crimmins, CPS spokesman in Austin. The recommendations from the review will be given to all caseworkers.

If a suspected child abuse victim tests positive for a STD, all children in that victim's household will be tested as well. Any child who tests positive will have a sexual abuse exam and a more thorough “forensic” interview with child abuse specialists at a Children's Assessment Center."
Yes, good news, though it shocks me that this type of response would not have already been in action .

Now the bad:
"Emma was originally scheduled to be examined at Children's Assessment Center but no interviewer was available. Instead, CPS and the child's pediatrician referred her to Texas Children's Hospital. Also, investigators have been told to aggressively pursue potential witnesses by interviewing neighbors in cases where a child tests positive for a STD. The CPS investigator in Emma's case did not.
No interviewer available, for a child diagnosed with a STD!!!

Later, in a custody hearing involving Emma's sisters, a neighbor testified that she had confronted the girls' mother, Abigail Young, after seeing blood on Emma's panties the day before she died. Young told the neighbor Emma had scratched her vagina getting out of a pool."
Scratched her vagina getting out of a pool. Wow, just wow.

I want to hurt that woman, reeeaaalllll bbbaaaadddddd.......
I truly do not understand this woman's thinking, as in many cases, making excuses in order to not recognize the nearly blinding signs of abuse,

believe09
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
locals, ya gotta go to this woman's hearings if at all possible. Some one has to take a stand for little Emma...

CuriousTwo
08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Updated: 11:11 AM Aug 26, 2009

4-Year-Old's Case Prompts New CPS Guidelines

The case involving the death of a Brenham nurse's 4-year-old daughter leads to new CPS guidelines.

HOUSTON (AP) - Additional steps will be taken by Child Protective Services in cases where alleged abuse victims have sexually transmitted diseases.

<snipped>

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/55022732.html

Angels_Not_Forgotten
08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
you know...if someone scratches her vagina over and over with a rusty nail, I wouldn't shed a tear! and how did they do nothing wrong? the poor girl had an STD. and no exam was done? WTF?

Boyz_Mum
08-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Emma, rest in peace. Praying that your passing has made a difference in child abuse cases in Texas and the nation.

IWannaKnow
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
"Outrage at judge is misplaced"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/falkenberg/6588744.html

~snipped, BBM~
"Judge Marc Carter sat in his courthouse office one afternoon last week and described what it felt like to learn that Lucas Coe, one of the 1,800 probationers he oversees on any given day, had been charged in the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson.

Emma was sexually assaulted and beaten to death in June.

“I had a knot in my stomach,” said the 50-year-old Republican judge, who has two daughters of his own. “You feel like you've been punched in the gut.”

A few days after the interview, while reading Sunday's letters to the editor berating him for ending Coe's probation months before Emma's death, the judge e-mailed: “Being held responsible for Emma's death is killing me.” "

Lyn1001
08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
you know...if someone scratches her vagina over and over with a rusty nail, I wouldn't shed a tear! and how did they do nothing wrong? the poor girl had an STD. and no exam was done? WTF?

A physical exam was done, but no signs of sexual abuse were found.

From CuriousTwo's link:

"A pediatrician in early June contacted CPS after suspecting
blisters on the girl were genital herpes. Testing found the doctor
was correct, but the child was not removed from the home because a
physical exam found no evidence of sexual abuse."

Boyz_Mum
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I hope that the judge can overcome his personal pain and help in some sort of reform of the laws that govern offenders like Coe. He is in a good position to initiate changes in a flawed system.

SondraK
08-28-2009, 09:20 AM
If just one caseworker had gone to the home and visited with a neighbor, they would have probably discovered that there was a male living there, and if they cared could have then found out who he was. JMO

Lyn1001
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
If just one caseworker had gone to the home and visited with a neighbor, they would have probably discovered that there was a male living there, and if they cared could have then found out who he was. JMO

I have known caseworkers to go to homes, look through the bedrooms, look in the basement, etc.. If there are no male clothes there and no signs anyone else is living there, then there is nothing the worker can do. It turns into "he said, she said". Caseworker says "So and so says there's a man living here", mother says "No, there is no man living here, see, no evidence". At that point, what proof does the worker have other than what a neighbor said? If the kids deny it and mom denies it and there is no evidence there is no basis for removing the child. You would be amazed at the lengths people go to in order to hide who's living in the home.

Paintr
08-28-2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kera/news.newsmain/article/1/0/1548045/North.Texas/New.Procedures.For.CPS.Child.Abuse.Cases

The new procedures come after CPS concluded a review into the death of Emma Thompson of Spring. The state agency had been contacted by a doctor who diagnosed Thompson with genital herpes. A further investigation turned up no evidence of abuse beyond the STD, which can be transmitted without sexual contact. And without additional evidence, CPS says the child could not legally be removed.

Patrick Crimmins: Somewhere along the line the abuse of this child was missed and she ended up dead. So the question that we ask ourselves is although it appears policy was followed, what else can we do.

IWannaKnow
08-31-2009, 03:47 PM
bumping so we don't lose Emma!

tiredblondy
08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Any news??

CuriousTwo
08-31-2009, 08:57 PM
I haven't seen anything new online since the announcement that the CPS is strengthening their regulations as a result of Emma's case.

Paintr
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kera/news.newsmain/article/1/0/1548045/North.Texas/New.Procedures.For.CPS.Child.Abuse.Cases

Patrick Crimmins is a CPS spokesman. He says from now on a positive STD test of one child will allow investigators to take additional measures like conducting additional interviews, contacting local law enforcement for advice, and even testing any other children in the household for an STD.

Crimmins: And if those children also come back positive then that may be a red flag. Then maybe you get all of them for a sexual abuse exam. And maybe that will give you the additional information that you might have needed to remove.

CuriousTwo
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Just bumping up for Emma!

No new news yet.

tiredblondy
09-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Curious Two I love this sweet picture of Emma.

Just bumping up for Emma!

No new news yet.

IWannaKnow
09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
State launches review of CPS
3 children’s deaths prompt look at area unit’s policies, staffing
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6602885.html

A state review team is looking at a possible breakdown in the way Texas Child Protective Services follows up on its own abuse investigations after three Houston-area children died despite the agency's intervention.

“I wanted to take a good look at investigations,” Anne Heiligenstein, Texas Department of Family and Protective Services commissioner, said Friday of her decision to send a review team to Houston.

Three children — Katy infant Amber Maccurdy, 3-year-old David Tijerina of Conroe and 4-year-old Emma Thompson of Spring — have died of abuse since April despite the fact that all three had been reported to CPS as possible child abuse victims. Emma and Amber died even though both were seen within weeks of their deaths by CPS investigators.

Also:
Coe attorney seeks IDs behind online comments
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6603599.html

A lawyer for Lucas Coe, charged in the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson, has asked several local media outlets to provide the names of readers and listeners who commented about his client online.

Bert Steinmann, The Woodlands-based attorney for Coe, said he was struck by the conclusions people drew about his client and the specificity of some comments that made it appear they came from people with personal knowledge of the case.
:boohoo:

Amster
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
State launches review of CPS
3 children’s deaths prompt look at area unit’s policies, staffing
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6602885.html

A state review team is looking at a possible breakdown in the way Texas Child Protective Services follows up on its own abuse investigations after three Houston-area children died despite the agency's intervention.

“I wanted to take a good look at investigations,” Anne Heiligenstein, Texas Department of Family and Protective Services commissioner, said Friday of her decision to send a review team to Houston.

Three children — Katy infant Amber Maccurdy, 3-year-old David Tijerina of Conroe and 4-year-old Emma Thompson of Spring — have died of abuse since April despite the fact that all three had been reported to CPS as possible child abuse victims. Emma and Amber died even though both were seen within weeks of their deaths by CPS investigators.

Also:
Coe attorney seeks IDs behind online comments
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6603599.html

A lawyer for Lucas Coe, charged in the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson, has asked several local media outlets to provide the names of readers and listeners who commented about his client online.

Bert Steinmann, The Woodlands-based attorney for Coe, said he was struck by the conclusions people drew about his client and the specificity of some comments that made it appear they came from people with personal knowledge of the case.
:boohoo:

Bert, you're an idiot. We ALL know about this case and the POS you're defending. :rolleyes:

Boyz_Mum
09-06-2009, 12:41 AM
I can't even compose a post, I am so sickened by Coe and "Bert"... :furious:

And why is mom of the year out on bail? :furious:

Paintr
09-08-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/57665797.html

As the holiday weekend comes to a close, a state investigation into Child Protective Services is about to ramp up.

The commissioner of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services says the recent deaths of children has raised the need to look into the operations at CPS.

That includes the death of Emma Thompson of Conroe.

butwhatif?
09-08-2009, 09:23 AM

Olguin, the CPS spokeswoman, said that a sexually transmitted disease alone is not enough to put a 4-year-old into protective custody. She said Emma shook her head, “no” when asked whether anyone had touched her inappropriately.

This poor child was too scared to tell the people who could help her- so sad.

CPS investigator Kimberly Clayton recounted how her office began investigating a complaint of neglect and possible abuse involving Emma on June 8. The girl was examined for CPS by the child's pediatrician who found no signs of sexual intercourse.

With all the comments made by members of this community under the news reports who repeatedly discuss the 'pull' this family had, and their connections within the hospital, I can't help but wonder if an independent examination at this time may have resulted in a different opinion about physical signs of sexual abuse/ 'intercourse' ,seperate from the herpes blisters.

it would have been a better approach to get an examination done by a doctor who had zero bias, or connection to the family that could subconsiously cloud their judgement during the examination, since its key to knowing when abuse first started. And it almost certainly did begin prior to the herpes outbreak....cause thats how she got it in the first place.
JMO
ETA: am trying my best to remain emotionally detatched now since my heart just breaks for all these children who deserved so much better.

eta 2: Also the family pediatrician's findings of no signs of 'sexual intercourse' does not equal no sexual abuse. Sounds like a weird way of wording it, imo, that would leave it open to possibilities of non- penetrational abuse.

JMO

IWannaKnow
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
CPS investigator Kimberly Clayton recounted how her office began investigating a complaint of neglect and possible abuse involving Emma on June 8. The girl was examined for CPS by the child's pediatrician who found no signs of sexual intercourse.

butwhatif - I don't have the link, but one of the earlier articles explains that Emma was taken to the doctor in early June and was scheduled to have a thorough, forensic examination at a CPS facility (after the herpes diagnosis), with a trained examiner. Unfortunately, the examiner wasn't available that day so Emma was sent instead to the regular childrens hospital for the exam, which found no indication of abuse and.........the rest is history. As was posted by another poster on another thread, there is a new sub-speciality emerging in pediatrics that deals strictly with abuse cases, because regular doctors are not skilled at identifying it. :mad:

CuriousTwo
09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
With all the comments made by members of this community under the news reports who repeatedly discuss the 'pull' this family had, and their connections within the hospital, I can't help but wonder if an independent examination at this time may have resulted in a different opinion about physical signs of sexual abuse/ 'intercourse' ,seperate from the herpes blisters.

it would have been a better approach to get an examination done by a doctor who had zero bias, or connection to the family that could subconsiously cloud their judgement during the examination, since its key to knowing when abuse first started. <snipped>

The earlier reports stated that the mother worked for 8 years or so at a Houston hospital. The CPS investigation and examination took place in Houston at a hospital there. After Emma's death, the mother relocated to her small hometown (where her family is well-known) and began work at that local hospital. She was working her first shift when she was arrested. Prior to that, she was undergoing routine new nurse orientation with no independent patient contact.

Just FYI to clarify that the hospital that the mother was fired from as a new employee was not the same hospital in which Emma was examined - it was another town entirely.

I'll find the article and post the link.

butwhatif?
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the clarification Iwannaknow and curioustwo. :blowkiss:

CuriousTwo
09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Suspect in Spring girl's deadly injuries gets bond reduction
By TERRI LANGFORD HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Sept. 10, 2009, 12:18PM

A convicted felon suspected of inflicting the injuries that led to a 4-year-old Spring girl's death had his bond reset at $100,000 today.

Lucas Coe, 27, has been in the Harris County Jail since his Aug. 10 arrest, without bond for the injuries leading to the June 27 death of Emma Thompson, the daughter of his 33-year-old girlfriend, Abigail Young.

<snipped>

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6611868.html

fhc
09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
That really angers me. Why did he get that reduction. Houston Chron. had almost nothing on this. This is wrong. He is a danger to all children and has proven this over & over.

Houston, don't make us come down there!

A convicted felon suspected of inflicting the injuries that led to a 4-year-old Spring girl's death had his bond reset at $100,000 today.

Lucas Coe, 27, has been in the Harris County Jail since his Aug. 10 arrest, without bond for the injuries leading to the June 27 death of Emma Thompson, the daughter of his 33-year-old girlfriend, Abigail Young.

<snipped>

joga
09-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Bert, you're an idiot. We ALL know about this case and the POS you're defending. :rolleyes:

yeah really, bring it scumbag. unbelievable. what possible help to the defense would that be besides harrassing people who said bad things about his poor widdle client....

CuriousTwo
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm totally speechless!

fhc
09-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm totally speechless!

Do you know if Coe made bail?

DJ3569
09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Coe is being held with no bail.

fhc
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM

<snipped>

DJ, Judge Mary Keel set bail. What a shame.

Paintr
09-11-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.themonitor.com/articles/officials-30485-case-teen.html

CPS officials: League City teen case mishandled

Earlier this month, a state review team announced plans to probe DPS's own abuse investigations.

Katy infant Amber Maccurdy, 3-year-old David Tijerina, of Conroe, and 4-year-old Emma Thompson, of Spring, died of abuse since April despite the fact that all three had been reported to CPS as possible child abuse victims, according to the Associated Press. Emma and Amber died even though both were seen within weeks of their deaths by CPS investigators.

Paintr
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/09/11/news/news01.txt

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:57 PM CDT
A man accused of injuring a child who later died remained in jail today after a district judge set his bail at $100,000.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, remained in the Harris County jail under the $100,000 bail set Thursday by District Judge Mary Lou Keel.

Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, had asked last week that bail be set for his client, according to reports in The Houston Chronicle.

Keel, in addition to setting bail, also said Coe could not have any contact with children as a condition of his release from jail.

As of noon today, Coe had not yet posted bail.

believe09
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.themonitor.com/articles/officials-30485-case-teen.html

CPS officials: League City teen case mishandled

Earlier this month, a state review team announced plans to probe DPS's own abuse investigations.

Katy infant Amber Maccurdy, 3-year-old David Tijerina, of Conroe, and 4-year-old Emma Thompson, of Spring, died of abuse since April despite the fact that all three had been reported to CPS as possible child abuse victims, according to the Associated Press. Emma and Amber died even though both were seen within weeks of their deaths by CPS investigators.

It took all three to die before they figured out the system was broken?
:eek:

believe09
09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2009/09/11/news/news01.txt

Friday, September 11, 2009 1:57 PM CDT
A man accused of injuring a child who later died remained in jail today after a district judge set his bail at $100,000.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, remained in the Harris County jail under the $100,000 bail set Thursday by District Judge Mary Lou Keel.

Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, had asked last week that bail be set for his client, according to reports in The Houston Chronicle.

Keel, in addition to setting bail, also said Coe could not have any contact with children as a condition of his release from jail.

As of noon today, Coe had not yet posted bail.

I had to read this a few times because I was sure I was mistaken. There are few people more dangerous to society than this person. Wonder if bail would be set if he had been murdering and raping judges?

just sayin.

PS I suggest that Mr. Steinmann post bond for Coe and host him at his house until his trial.

fhc
09-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Coe wasn't allowed to be around his own children and yet, the night Emma was killed at Young's home, one of HIS children was at the house, along with Emma's 2 older sisters. Is this Judge Mary Keel setting bail based on the facts and his history. If so, why would Melissa Huckaby be in jail with no bail and Coe be allowed bail? Coe has a history of not following orders and abusing children. I hope that Judge Keel will answer why she feels Coe deserves to be let out in a law-abiding society to prey on children.

CuriousTwo
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Coe’s bond reduced to $100,000

Updated: 09.10.09
The Magnolia man arrested in connection with the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday morning by a Harris County District judge.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, has been in the Harris County Jail without bond since he was booked into the jail on Aug. 11. Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, petitioned 232nd District Judge Mary Lou Keel for the bond reduction.

“The (Harris County) District Attorney had not filed a letter requesting that he (Coe) be held without bond,” Steinmann said. “He (Coe) has made all of his previous court appointments, and I told the judge I needed him during his case.”

While Coe was granted a bond reduction, Steinmann said there was no guarantee his client would make the bond.

Coe and his girlfriend, Abigail Young, were charged last month with one count each of felony injury to a child. Thompson died June 27 in Montgomery County from blunt force trauma to the abdomen, according to an autopsy conducted in Conroe.

<snipped>

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/10/conroe_courier/news/coe0911.txt

fhc
09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Coe’s bond reduced to $100,000

Updated: 09.10.09
The Magnolia man arrested in connection with the death of 4-year-old Emma Thompson had his bond reduced to $100,000 Thursday morning by a Harris County District judge.

Lucas Ruric Coe, 27, has been in the Harris County Jail without bond since he was booked into the jail on Aug. 11. Bert Steinmann, Coe’s attorney, petitioned 232nd District Judge Mary Lou Keel for the bond reduction.

“The (Harris County) District Attorney had not filed a letter requesting that he (Coe) be held without bond,” Steinmann said. “He (Coe) has made all of his previous court appointments, and I told the judge I needed him during his case.”

While Coe was granted a bond reduction, Steinmann said there was no guarantee his client would make the bond.

Coe and his girlfriend, Abigail Young, were charged last month with one count each of felony injury to a child. Thompson died June 27 in Montgomery County from blunt force trauma to the abdomen, according to an autopsy conducted in Conroe.

<snipped>

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2009/09/10/conroe_courier/news/coe0911.txt

They sure sugar-coated what he is actually accused of doing to Emma. Home Cooking? :furious:

CuriousTwo
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
They sure sugar-coated what he is actually accused of doing to Emma. Home Cooking? :furious:

fhc -

You might want to remove your comment from within the article (where you quote me) so no one accidentally thinks that your comment is part of the actual article. Thanks!

I totally agree with you!

Pollywog
09-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Poor baby. I just cannot even imagine allowing any man to harm my child and over look it for the sake of having a man. I know first hand that officials in Texas read probation orders different than they are. One lady I know with 2 children married a convicted sexual offender, he served 5 years, got out and moved back to TX and had his probation transferred. The law there said his order said he could not be withon a 1000 feet of where children congregate that it said nothing about him living in the home with them. So to them he had not violated his probation, the judge allowed the kids to stay with their mom and the RSO even tho the dad fought with all he had to get his children out of that situation, he lost because of the way the law reads.

It is just sad and uncalled for that our judicial sytem fails the children they should be protecting.There is no cure for SO's, they will re-offend and most times the child dies at their hands. My heart breaks for all these children.

RIP Emma.

believe09
09-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I am really flabbergasted here. First of all, she died as a result of the beating and she was noticebly raped. I am assuming someone will get around to filing first degree murder charges? Secondly, the Defense Attorney thinks it is sufficient comfort to the rest of us that "there is no guarantee" his client will make bail? I am not surprised that there isn't anyone left willing to invest 10K in this guy, but the defense attorney is between a rock and a hard place since he asked for the reduction and presumably believes his client is "innocent."

Locals, I hope you are trying to get a bright light shining on what is going on with this case because it feels like it is being swept under the rug....

DJ3569
09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I know I'm not asleep....although I can hardly believe what I'm reading! What was that Judge thinking? Would she be willing to let that monster stay in her home while he's waiting for his trail! This just makes me sick! Coe has no right to be out of jail not for one minute. Emma will never get to do anything again why should he.