PDA

View Full Version : Man slaps stranger's baby in Walmart

Evan's Mom
09-02-2009, 08:34 AM
This happened not too far from me.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/man-slaps-strangers-crying-129235.html

Witnesses say that Roger Stephens, 61, warned the mother of the child that he would “shut up the crying child if she couldn’t,” WSB-TV is reporting. Stephens is accused of slapping the 2-year-old multiple times in the face and then walking away.

bogeygal
09-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Unbelievable! Thank goodness that the bystander held this man for the security people. Imagine the trauma the poor baby felt when this nut job started slapping!

Otise
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/15776/user/339835/496349.jpg

He even looks mean. Poor child!

ohiogirl
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Jerk!

lizzybeth
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I'd like to slap him a couple of times. This would be a murder case if some idiot slapped my child. I don't care if my child was crying, being a brat, or what.

He's got the same moronic theory that some others have...when a child is crying, in order to stop the crying, slap, hit, punch, etc.

princess
09-02-2009, 09:04 AM

I don't know what this guy was thinking.

Walmart carries ammo and lots of people with concealed weapons permits frequent Walmart. He's lucky he did not pick the wrong Mommy in this Walmart.

:winko:

bogeygal
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Jerk!

They should lock him up in a psych ward! He looks crazy in that photo.

VespaElf
09-02-2009, 09:11 AM
WTH?!?!
He was in a PUBLIC place! Why not just I dunno.......walk away? Why ASSAULT A BABY??

I bet this man doesnt have a criminal history but instead has a "familial" history of anger & abuse & Im sure neighbors,co-workers & family members(if they felt safe)would attest to it!!!

songline
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
WTH?!?!
He was in a PUBLIC place! Why not just I dunno.......walk away? Why ASSAULT A BABY??

I bet this man doesnt have a criminal history but instead has a "familial" history of anger & abuse & Im sure neighbors,co-workers & family members(if they felt safe)would attest to it!!!
:) lol you are trying to be rational.
This man does not sound rational at all.

Wal-Mart is large enough for him to go someplace else in the store and return to that department after the baby has left, if it bothered him that much.
I agree that he looks very mean spirited.
I hope he got locked up for at least 1 year. Other wise he may think that is a great way to solve a problem.

I SURE HOPE HE HAS NO CHILDREN OF HIS OWN....

southcitymom
09-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Wow - that mugshot. He looks like a miserable, unhappy person.

bamabeauty
09-02-2009, 11:30 AM
What an A Hole!!!! He looks like a mean old man! He is very lucky he is just going to jail and not 6 feet under because if it had been my baby I would have been making some weapons out of whatever was in that aisle!

angelmom
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I hope someone investigates into any children in his life. If he will hit a stranger's baby in public like that, just think of what he might do in private to his own child or grandchild!!!

He's lucky it wasn't my child or that I wasn't there. I'd have given him a taste of his own medicine.

(Yes, one of my worst faults is the inability to turn the other cheek.)

MsRyber
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Ooooo, I love the idea of a charge of assault on a minor, or even better, battery and child abuse.

Oh, and let him in general pop.

dgfred
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
No problem slapping a baby, but funny he didn't resist the men stopping him from leaving... cowardass.

Misfitdolly
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I hope he does some time for this, I think he will being that it's a felony.

JenB
09-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I am dumbfounded by this. I saw that the child is 2. My 2-year-old is one of the whiniest, most irritating children I've ever met, so I can sort of imagine other customers being irritated... (Although I am always so relieved when a crying child isn't mine, that I don't mind the noise a bit!) But it's not as though they were trapped on a plane together... I'm so puzzled about why he didn't just walk away. Were they stuck in a slow-moving check-out line together?

Something must be wrong with him. What a horrible person, and I feel so sorry for the mom and child. Glad the child is too young to remember, although I'd think something like this could make the child very fearful of strangers and public places.

January.
09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
What!! If that was my baby, that man would have been leaving with an ice pack where the sun don't shine or worse. Slapping a baby because she was crying? Go to a different aisle! WTH!

WhyaDuck?
09-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Oh man. He looks like a crab. I hope he has no grandkids or small children in his neighbourhood.

I must admit, kids can get annoying in stores, but I have to say I never, ever would consider doing something like this. What did he need total silence for? He was in a Wal-Mart, not performing surgery!

STEADFAST
09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Even sitting strapped in an airplane seat next to the loudest, most obnoxious two-year-old in the world, whose parents are reading magazines and ignoring the situation, you're not allowed to slap the baby. :nono:

Heck, you're not even allowed to slap adults just because they're loud and annoying.

Lyn1001
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Even sitting strapped in an airplane seat next to the loudest, most obnoxious two-year-old in the world, whose parents are reading magazines and ignoring the situation, you're not allowed to slap the baby. :nono:

Heck, you're not even allowed to slap adults just because they're loud and annoying.

I WISH we could slap adults because they were loud and annoying....

With that said, if this guy had slapped MY kid, no one would have needed to hold him for security. He would have been unconscious on the ground. And that's if I was in a generous mood that day.

angelmom
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM

BBM. This is, by far, the more tempting option. I understand whiny children in the grocery store. Whiny adults might deserve a slap or two, but I manage to restrain myself.

eleven
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh, HELLLLLL NO! There is no way that he would still be standing. I would beat the everliving crap out of him.

Newsflash to the creep: Uh, babies CRY. It's what they do. Babies and young kids are all over WalMart. I hate evil kidhaters. Sure, a crying baby can get irritating, but that's just the way it is.

AmyinTheHam
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
OMG that Walmart is minutes from my in-laws house and VERY close to where I used to live in Atlanta. What a horrible story! What a moron, why do people think hitting a baby will stop them from crying. :furious:

WhyaDuck?
09-02-2009, 01:01 PM
OMG that Walmart is minutes from my in-laws house and VERY close to where I used to live in Atlanta. What a horrible story! What a moron, why do people think hitting a baby will stop them from crying. :furious:

I know! It seems really counter-intuitive, doesn't it? "Hey, you're crying. Let's slap you and see if that makes you feel less like crying!" Moron.

I guess we can see how charming his family was when he was a kid. Might explain the scowl.

(BTW, I am not excusing his behaviour by that.)

Marina2
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
This is bizarre. Who does that kind of thing? The man looks like he has a permanent scowl on his face.

bogeygal
09-02-2009, 01:52 PM
BBM. This is, by far, the more tempting option. I understand whiny children in the grocery store. Whiny adults might deserve a slap or two, but I manage to restrain myself.

I see whiny and crying children all the time at the grocery store too. They may be tired, bored, want something they see, or just want to go home. The children that are two or three may not have all the words to express what it is they want, so they cry. Never once have I witnessed another shopper or mother of the child use physical violence.

I hope they throw the book at him! Wonder if he may have been homeless or had a drug problem. It's so out of the norm for a stranger to slap a little baby.

Cicada
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know what this guy was thinking.

Walmart carries ammo and lots of people with concealed weapons permits frequent Walmart. He's lucky he did not pick the wrong Mommy in this Walmart.

:winko:

BBM:

Yea, that would be me. Proud concealed weapon carrier since 19....wait..not gonna age myself. :blushing:
Just the wrong kind of mommy he coulda picked. :)

bogeygal
09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
HLN just reported that this man is being held in jail without bond.

They showed him standing in court. He's looking a bit nervous to me. His face was twitching.

WhyaDuck?
09-02-2009, 03:09 PM

They showed him standing in court. He's looking a bit nervous to me. His face was twitching.

This guy is likely a powder keg.

SuziQ
09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Video: RAW: Man Accused Of Slapping Child In Court (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/20684677/detail.html#)

There is no direct link to the video. It's on the right side of the page.

believe09
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
He slapped a defenseless child because they were just that, defenseless. Mean is a good word-Insane is probably a better one. I am curious as to what there was about this mom and child that made him think he could take that approach-maybe there wasnt anything about them, but I cannot fathom the idea that some stranger would walk up to me and slap a child of mine.

O/T An employee reprimanded one of my children in a card store once, although it was obvious that the child was with me. My child was close to me and picking something up-I am not being defensive, that is really all that happened. I asked the employee to speak to me instead of my child-well, apparently I hit whatever her buzzword or achilles heel there was-suddenly she was shrieking in my face, spitting and threatening to strike me-she called me curse words....it was surreal. I called the manager over and then the district manager-turns out she was mentally ill and living in a half way house. The half way house had obtained this job for her claiming she had people skills. Uh huh. Needless to say, they let her go and my children were given free webkinz as an apology for the scene she caused. They were petrified by this womans behavior-what I thought was even funnier was the behavior of the one male who was near by-instead of coming to my aid, he was frozen in place. It was lovely, lol.

joga
09-02-2009, 05:00 PM
He slapped a defenseless child because they were just that, defenseless. Mean is a good word-Insane is probably a better one. I am curious as to what there was about this mom and child that made him think he could take that approach-maybe there wasnt anything about them, but I cannot fathom the idea that some stranger would walk up to me and slap a child of mine.

O/T An employee reprimanded one of my children in a card store once, although it was obvious that the child was with me. My child was close to me and picking something up-I am not being defensive, that is really all that happened. I asked the employee to speak to me instead of my child-well, apparently I hit whatever her buzzword or achilles heel there was-suddenly she was shrieking in my face, spitting and threatening to strike me-she called me curse words....it was surreal. I called the manager over and then the district manager-turns out she was mentally ill and living in a half way house. The half way house had obtained this job for her claiming she had people skills. Uh huh. Needless to say, they let her go and my children were given free webkinz as an apology for the scene she caused. They were petrified by this womans behavior-what I thought was even funnier was the behavior of the one male who was near by-instead of coming to my aid, he was frozen in place. It was lovely, lol.'

that's funny about the male in the story...same thing happened to me with a group of girls who were trying to return some stuff to a store and they got denied and started a big hoopla cussing and throwing stuff around. i politely turned around and asked them to stop because they were scaring my child and it just set them OFF! it was a horrible thing for my daughter to see, but the first one that touched me ate the store floor quick and that seemed to shut the other ones up. i'm not proud of having to resort to that type of thing, but i refuse to be intimidated and bullied by people, so i tried to explain it to my daughter in that respect. like my dad always said, don't start a fight, but you can finish it. what was funny was that it was the female clerks who came out and shielded my daughter best they could. all of the male clerks just stood there frozen....

back to on-topic, yeah i would have whipped that old man's azz..no doubt. i can't believe that he did that. i've seen older people get really grumpy with children and their parents, but actually physically touching someone else's child, much less slapping?! BIG no-no.

WhyaDuck?
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
As a side note, when I hear kids whining in stores, I usually think how lucky they are to still be able to verbalize how annoying and boring it is to be there, while I am stuck being an adult and not throwing my toys around because I would rather leave than wait in line.

I envy the immediacy of baby emotions.

Spangle
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
No problem slapping a baby, but funny he didn't resist the men stopping him from leaving... cowardass.

He might have wanted to be arrested.

A guy in the news was put on parole. He wanted back in, but they wouldn't take him. He claimed the victums family was out to get him. So he tried to break back in. By climbing over the razorsharp fence.

Of course, that broke his parole and they will take him back now. When he gets out of the hospital.

This might be a case of a guy wanting a free place to live.

believe09
09-02-2009, 05:11 PM
He might have wanted to be arrested.

A guy in the news was put on parole. He wanted back in, but they wouldn't take him. He claimed the victums family was out to get him. So he tried to break back in. By climbing over the razorsharp fence.

Of course, that broke his parole and they will take him back now. When he gets out of the hospital.

This might be a case of a guy wanting a free place to live.

Ahh, so he figured it was a win/win ?

Steely Dan
09-02-2009, 06:13 PM
They should lock him up in a psych ward! He looks crazy in that photo.

http://www.tabloidprodigy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/slapper_244633l.jpg

I would never blame the mother for this but if this guy was in an aisle with me I'd skeedattle, kid or no kid with me. The guy oozes creepyness. :eek:

:boohoo:

O/T An employee reprimanded one of my children in a card store once, although it was obvious that the child was with me. My child was close to me and picking something up-I am not being defensive, that is really all that happened. I asked the employee to speak to me instead of my child-well, apparently I hit whatever her buzzword or achilles heel there was-suddenly she was shrieking in my face, spitting and threatening to strike me-she called me curse words....it was surreal. I called the manager over and then the district manager-turns out she was mentally ill and living in a half way house. The half way house had obtained this job for her claiming she had people skills. Uh huh. Needless to say, they let her go and my children were given free webkinz as an apology for the scene she caused. They were petrified by this womans behavior-what I thought was even funnier was the behavior of the one male who was near by-instead of coming to my aid, he was frozen in place. It was lovely, lol.

My guess is because the father wasn't with them. If the father was with them and was 6'4" 250 I'm almost positive this wouldn't have happened. The guys a coward. He is going to be a pariah in his community and that-is-as-it-should-be! :loser:

If he gets prison time the other inmates aren't gonna look too kindly on the beating of a strangers child. :furious:

NG is gonna be real interesting tonight!!! :clap::clap::clap:

hoppyfrog
09-02-2009, 06:17 PM

He ought to be nervous!

Hoppy

hoppyfrog
09-02-2009, 06:17 PM

I would never blame the mother for this but if this guy was in an aisle with me I'd skeedattle, kid or no kid with me.

Amen to that!

Hoppy

bogeygal
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I would never blame the mother for this but if this guy was in an aisle with me I'd skeedattle, kid or no kid with me. The guy oozes creepyness. :eek:

:boohoo:

My guess is because the father wasn't with them. If the father was with them and was 6'4" 250 I'm almost positive this wouldn't have happened. The guys a coward. He is going to be a pariah in his community and that-is-as-it-should-be! :loser:

If he gets prison time the other inmates aren't gonna look too kindly on the beating of a strangers child. :furious:

NG is gonna be real interesting tonight!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Good point Steely Dan!

Never thought of that! If she had been with her husband, this nutcase would never have struck that baby girl. Or if he tried, he'd sure get a beating!!!! :eek:

Anubis
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
If I were there, he would have left the store crying on a gurney. WTF. Seriously. I am not, by nature, a violent person but man it sends me over the edge when I see someone being abusive whether to a child or another person.

CuriousTwo
09-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Poor baby! I have to admit that screaming kids do get to me at times, but I feel like slapping the parents who let them just wail away - I can't imagine anyone slapping a baby, ever!

PeteyGirl
09-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Wow - that mugshot. He looks like a miserable, unhappy person.

YOW!!

If he slapped my kid, he'd look miserable, unhappy, and in severe pain.

So I'd like to think . . . no doubt the mother was in utter shock. Who knows how you'd really react to something this outrageous?

I wonder why she did not immediately inform security after he made the verbal threat?

WhyaDuck?
09-03-2009, 01:43 AM
YOW!!

If he slapped my kid, he'd look miserable, unhappy, and in severe pain.

So I'd like to think . . . no doubt the mother was in utter shock. Who knows how you'd really react to something this outrageous?

I wonder why she did not immediately inform security after he made the verbal threat?

She likely didn't process that he actually meant it. It's pretty outlandish. :eek:

sissy's mom
09-03-2009, 01:45 AM
I was so >?>>???>>: MAD

when I hear this story:mad::mad::furious::furious::furious:

touch me but NEVER my kid

Melanie
09-03-2009, 01:55 AM

Don't I know it -- coming off a plane from Seattle on Sunday where there was a crying child....all 2.5 hours. My first thought was "what can I do" -- I would never think of slapping the child, or parents (who I knew were frustrated). You should have seen my son on a flight home from the UK when he was 3. I almost left him in Customs (kidding of course).

WhyaDuck?
09-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Every once in a while, some stranger will make faces, jingle keys, etc, when I am in public trying to get my toddler to calm down in order to help. It often does. Heaven bless those people!

texasgirl2
09-03-2009, 02:02 AM
What!! If that was my baby, that man would have been leaving with an ice pack where the sun don't shine or worse.

I was thinking the same thing! I think I would have become the news story because I would have gone nuts on the guy!!

What is wrong with people?!

mitzi
09-03-2009, 02:15 AM

Yes, he sure does! What a kook! Poor baby. Hope they throw the book at him. :mad:

raindrops300
09-03-2009, 02:50 AM
What rational person would think it would make a baby stop crying if you hit them? If this man has a wife/children, I really feel bad for them, as in how awful it must be to live with this man.

This is OT, but speaking of men standing by frozen reminded of a show I saw about people reactions in public. They staged, in a public park, a group of 12-13 year old boys picking on/bullying another boy - throwing his backpack etc. (it was pre-arranged) to see how adults in the park would react. They did this scene several times and in EVERY case it was a woman who came to the boys aid. Men just stood frozen, looking uncomfortable, but did nothing. Every time it was a woman who would step forward, get in the middle of it making them stop, asking who their parent were, etc. It was very interesting.

Steely Dan
09-03-2009, 05:07 AM
What rational person would think it would make a baby stop crying if you hit them? If this man has a wife/children, I really feel bad for them, as in how awful it must be to live with this man.

This is OT, but speaking of men standing by frozen reminded of a show I saw about people reactions in public. They staged, in a public park, a group of 12-13 year old boys picking on/bullying another boy - throwing his backpack etc. (it was pre-arranged) to see how adults in the park would react. They did this scene several times and in EVERY case it was a woman who came to the boys aid. Men just stood frozen, looking uncomfortable, but did nothing. Every time it was a woman who would step forward, get in the middle of it making them stop, asking who their parent were, etc. It was very interesting.

Some guys were making a home movie and one scene had them fighting on the side of the road. Cars kept passing by and nobody did anything. Keifer Sutherland was driving by and stopped his Mercedes and got out to stop the fight and then he found out it was just for a movie. :cool:

SeriouslySearching
09-03-2009, 05:16 AM
I am amazed that POS made it out of Walmart without getting the chit beat out of him by the mother and other customers! OMG!

AmandaBrown23
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I was telling my husband that if this were me I would have mased him. Seriously I would have. I am not about to let anyone hit my kid once much less multiple times. I am in no way blaming that mom but I am just saying what I would have done.

mysterygirl
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I know this is irrational and unwise. But I would have gone crazy. Security would have had to pull me off of him......I would have grabbed things on the shelves to hit him, gone for his eyes, he would have no feeling to his groin region..........of course this is all in my mind. I am sure the mother just went for her child to comfort the girl.

God this makes me so mad...........

swanniee11
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
There is no excuse, none, I don't care if he was trapped on a plane, trapped in an elevator. I don't even care if they were related. No excuse. none. This man makes me sick. I hope they throw the book at him.

bogeygal
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Story on NG Show now.

This man faces up to 20 years in jail for 1st degree cruelty against a child. Good, if he gets the full twenty he'll be 81 when he gets out! (If he gets out).

Ok now Nancy's saying she thinks he won't get the full 20, more like a year/year and a half for this. Let's see what the judge/jury thinks about that.....He slapped this little girl several times, even once would be against the law.

bogeygal
09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
According to Nancy, this man has a former DUI conviction.

txsvicki
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I was telling my husband that if this were me I would have mased him. Seriously I would have. I am not about to let anyone hit my kid once much less multiple times. I am in no way blaming that mom but I am just saying what I would have done.

I would have maced him too, and worse. My husband said that he could only imagine what would have happened to someone who did that to one my babies while we were out shopping. I said that I always stayed so close to the basket that no one could have gotten near. This man could have caused brain damage to that baby, and I really hope she is okay.

Lynn-ann
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Anything/Anyone threatens or harms my kids...berserker rage takes over (even though they're all grown up now...heh).

Same goes for my grandchildren...woe to anyone who riles up the wrath of this Nanna.

Incidentally, I've read that children often cry and grizzle in planes because their ears are much more sensitive to the air pressure changes so when I hear a crying child in a plane I feel sad as it's more than likely in pain. :( It even hurts my ears at times.

DogMom2JoeAndWillie
09-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I know that this is off topic, but I would really like to know what type of advice you guys have to offer on this....What DOES work/help when you're trying to quiet a screaming child? I am not a parent (just a Dog Mama) and often find myself in public places with screaming/wailing kids whose parents don't even seem to notice. I mean, obviously slapping a kid isn't going to calm them down....they're just going to get even more upset because they're HURT in addition to being upset. I feel guilty sometimes because I GLARE at people who don't even TRY to calm/hush their kids. I just feel like people should try to make their kids happy and get them to quiet down if they're screaming...and if that doesn't work, they should LEAVE until the child is calm/quiet. Obviously people aren't that considerate....they're just gonna stand in the middle of the grocery store, movie theater, gas station, etc. and let the screaming drive us all insane....and I'm guessing that when I glare at them it makes them actually ENCOURAGE the screaming....so really, what's the best thing for us childless people to do? HOW DO YOU MAKE IT STOP?!?!
I know that babies cry and that it's normal for them to get upset sometimes...but there HAS to be a way to make them happy/quiet without assaulting anyone or having to use a tranquilizer gun.

WhyaDuck?
09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I know that this is off topic, but I would really like to know what type of advice you guys have to offer on this....What DOES work/help when you're trying to quiet a screaming child? I am not a parent (just a Dog Mama) and often find myself in public places with screaming/wailing kids whose parents don't even seem to notice. I mean, obviously slapping a kid isn't going to calm them down....they're just going to get even more upset because they're HURT in addition to being upset. I feel guilty sometimes because I GLARE at people who don't even TRY to calm/hush their kids. I just feel like people should try to make their kids happy and get them to quiet down if they're screaming...and if that doesn't work, they should LEAVE until the child is calm/quiet. Obviously people aren't that considerate....they're just gonna stand in the middle of the grocery store, movie theater, gas station, etc. and let the screaming drive us all insane....and I'm guessing that when I glare at them it makes them actually ENCOURAGE the screaming....so really, what's the best thing for us childless people to do? HOW DO YOU MAKE IT STOP?!?!
I know that babies cry and that it's normal for them to get upset sometimes...but there HAS to be a way to make them happy/quiet without assaulting anyone or having to use a tranquilizer gun.

Since you couldn't offer them a snack, the best bet is to amuse or distract them. Babies tend to love faces, so you could try smiling or wiggling your eyebrows. Or waving. Sometimes, strangers doing this can scare them, but often it does distract them and keep them quiet for a bit.

And as a mom of a toddler, I do agree that leaving when the child simply can't be consoled is often the best course of action. However, if you have already gotten your groceries, or whatever, sometimes you just have to wait in the line until you can go. If I stopped grocery shopping every time my son cried or whined in a store, we'd have starved by now. :(

DogMom2JoeAndWillie
09-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Since you couldn't offer them a snack, the best bet is to amuse or distract them. Babies tend to love faces, so you could try smiling or wiggling your eyebrows. Or waving. Sometimes, strangers doing this can scare them, but often it does distract them and keep them quiet for a bit.

And as a mom of a toddler, I do agree that leaving when the child simply can't be consoled is often the beast course of action. However, if you have already gotten your groceries, or whatever, sometimes you just have to wait in the line until you can go. If I stopped grocery shopping every time my son cried or whined in a store, we'd have starved by now. :(

I totally understand what you mean about finishing up what you're doing instead of leaving every time your baby cries....it's the excessive wailing that gets to me. Makes me wonder whats WRONG and why the child is SO upset and why their parent can't consol them. I would like to try smiling or talking to them to distract, but I'm always afraid that some psycho mom/dad will get angry with me for speaking to their child. You know, the whole "dont talk to strangers" thing. It's heartbreaking, really....because the little ones can't TELL you whats got them upset....and as bad as you want to make them happy it's hard to figure out what they want.

daisy7
09-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I totally understand what you mean about finishing up what you're doing instead of leaving every time your baby cries....it's the excessive wailing that gets to me. Makes me wonder whats WRONG and why the child is SO upset and why their parent can't consol them. I would like to try smiling or talking to them to distract, but I'm always afraid that some psycho mom/dad will get angry with me for speaking to their child. You know, the whole "dont talk to strangers" thing. It's heartbreaking, really....because the little ones can't TELL you whats got them upset....and as bad as you want to make them happy it's hard to figure out what they want.

BBM. Us parents sometimes don't know why they're upset either. I agree with Ducky, distraction works wonders. Many times I've been in the grocery store and there's a screaming toddler - I just talk/play with them to try and help calm them down. Sometimes it's more effective coming from a non-parent. I've never had a parent say anything bad to me -- they're more likely to tell me thank you.

Yesterday, I was at Walmart and there was a mom and 2 year old and the baby was just happy as could be. I saw them several times and he was just happily eating a doughnut. I commented to the Mom about how good he was being (cuz sometimes my youngest 3yo can be a nightmare at Walmart). Her response was, whenever we go grocery shopping, the first stop is always the bakery for a doughnut. Gonna have to try that myself:)

Beyond Belief
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Absolutely dumbfounding.
How far away was the mother from the child to not grab his arm and stop him?
He would have been walking out of the store with a clothing rack protruding from his butt.
I am really glad I wasn't there. I really fly into rage when I see someone hitting kids.
congrats to the mother for keeping her cool.

WhyaDuck?
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
BBM. Us parents sometimes don't know why they're upset either. I agree with Ducky, distraction works wonders. Many times I've been in the grocery store and there's a screaming toddler - I just talk/play with them to try and help calm them down. Sometimes it's more effective coming from a non-parent. I've never had a parent say anything bad to me -- they're more likely to tell me thank you.

Yesterday, I was at Walmart and there was a mom and 2 year old and the baby was just happy as could be. I saw them several times and he was just happily eating a doughnut. I commented to the Mom about how good he was being (cuz sometimes my youngest 3yo can be a nightmare at Walmart). Her response was, whenever we go grocery shopping, the first stop is always the bakery for a doughnut. Gonna have to try that myself:)

For mine, it's strawberries. And a crayon and a stiff piece of cardboard. Without those things, I am screwed in a grocery store. I always stop in the produce section first.

Also, I never snap at people for making funny faces or waving at my child - it's not like they are trying to touch him. Actually, he pitches a fit if strangers so try to touch him, so I'll always know if they did. But I am always grateful to people who can distract him a moment if he's tantrumy when I'm just trying to make my purchase and go.

I also thought of something else that works: peek-a-boo. I have never seen this fail to work from a stranger. He gets tired of my peek-a-boo and enjoys playing it with strangers, I guess.

It's also important to scan the floor for something the tyke might have dropped, and bring it to the mom's attention if there is something. She might have missed it, and that might be the cause.

But, sometimes, just plain nothing will work. Such is the nature of babies.

SewingDeb
09-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure how they can still say this after what he did.

Neighbors say Stone Mountain man who slapped toddler a harmless loner

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/neighbors-say-stone-mountain-130805.html

christee
09-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I noticed on the video he has a facial twitch (Tourettes' maybe?). He'll probably claim his hand twitched when he reached down to tweak the tykes cheek!
What a jerk. If he felt like hittin' something he should've gone to the sports department in Wally World and looked for a real punching bag to hit!!!
:loser:

ETA-did I read correctly-he slapped the child 4-5 times? WTH!

Kat
09-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't understand why this wasn't on tape. Lordy be, every single Walmart I have ever been in had all those domes on the ceiling that covered most of the store right?

I wonder how hard did he strike this child? Is the child going to be okay? I hope the child wasn't seriously injured.

Just some questions that popped up in my head while I watched NG coverage. I did miss some of it though.

bogeygal
09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't understand why this wasn't on tape. Lordy be, every single Walmart I have ever been in had all those domes on the ceiling that covered most of the store right?

I wonder how hard did he strike this child? Is the child going to be okay? I hope the child wasn't seriously injured.

Just some questions that popped up in my head while I watched NG coverage. I did miss some of it though.

I believe one of the news links above mentioned that the baby girl's face was red from the slapping.

IMO, a two year old baby with delicate skin, and being hit on the face would redden (is that a word?) quickly. But I'll bet since he followed them around the store in anger and making the threat to mom, that he hit her hard. It's hard just typing that!

bogeygal
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Here's a link to the police report.

It has more information about what happened at the Walmart. Apparently he slapped her four or five times!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0902091slap2.html

ETA: The report also states there was no video footage in the area of the crime.

mayfairlight
09-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Sick.:eek:

Steely Dan
09-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Howya likin jail you :censored: jerk.

:behindbar :slap::fight: :highfive: :floorlaugh::turkey: :applause: :woohoo::dance::loser:

4Kat
09-05-2009, 04:05 AM
My babies are no longer little (21 & 18), I was also blessed with children that hardly ever cried while out in public. I believe that part of that came from the routine I had. Most of the time we went to kid friendly places to eat so they were allowed to have fun. But I think the key was that I always made sure that where ever we went, whether to the grocery store, mall, or restaurant, my children were well rested and not really hungry. There have been times when this did not work. When they would cry, I would do what others have said. Distraction! If that didn't work, we would leave. I've always tried to courteous to others and while I love my children with my heart and soul, I know others do not.

Gene
09-05-2009, 05:14 PM

I totally understand what you mean. We have a 3 month old baby and we love to go out to eat. We take him along and sometimes he starts to cry. But one of us ALWAYS leaves the restaurant with him until he quiets down or one of us takes him home. I do not understand how inconsiderate parents can ignore their children let them scream and cry in a restaurant or a shop. It is the same to me as someone smoking a cigar in a restaurant (remember that?). I am not saying that this guy was right for hitting the kid, of course he was not. But parents have to take responsibility for their children.

kgeaux
09-05-2009, 08:53 PM

My car, parked in a Walmart parking lot, was once blocked in by an older model black truck-----the male driver had his pants undone and was masterbating. The Walmart said the parking lot was not being videoed---and this was while Derek Todd Lee was running around Louisiana beating women to death. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that the parking lot wasn't under surveillance, but it boggles my mind that the interior of a Walmart isn't constantly being videoed.

kgeaux
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM

I can sympathize with you, because having raised 5 boys, I KNOW how hard it is to listen to a crying child. I agree that parents with distressed children should leave certain places; theaters and concerts, restaurants, too. HOWEVER, not all children can be quieted at all times, and food is a necessity.....groceries aren't optional! Babies aren't dolls that can be turned off whenever their behavior is upsetting! Believe me, most parents are fine-tuned to want to comfort their children, no parent enjoys listening to cries and screams! Any parent would stop the child's behavior if they could!

I hope you can take this with a large spoonful of sugar, because I know it's going to be difficult getting it down: Rather than glare at the parent, who is probably WAY more stressed about the situation than you could EVER BE, why don't you offer them some encouragement? Wouldn't encouragement (Oh, you're such a good mommy to be so patient with a crying child! I'm afraid I'd lose it!) be more CONSIDERATE than glaring at the child or parent? If you can't be encouraging, and can't find it in yourself to be patient, if you can't stand the crying, try to +walk away to another aisle......because if you can't make it better, at least you can try to not make it worse. :blowkiss:

Steely Dan
09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
My car, parked in a Walmart parking lot, was once blocked in by an older model black truck-----the male driver had his pants undone and was masterbating. The Walmart said the parking lot was not being videoed---and this was while Derek Todd Lee was running around Louisiana beating women to death. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that the parking lot wasn't under surveillance, but it boggles my mind that the interior of a Walmart isn't constantly being videoed.

What happened to the gross dude. :puke:

DogMom2JoeAndWillie
09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I can sympathize with you, because having raised 5 boys, I KNOW how hard it is to listen to a crying child. I agree that parents with distressed children should leave certain places; theaters and concerts, restaurants, too. HOWEVER, not all children can be quieted at all times, and food is a necessity.....groceries aren't optional! Babies aren't dolls that can be turned off whenever their behavior is upsetting! Believe me, most parents are fine-tuned to want to comfort their children, no parent enjoys listening to cries and screams! Any parent would stop the child's behavior if they could!

I hope you can take this with a large spoonful of sugar, because I know it's going to be difficult getting it down: Rather than glare at the parent, who is probably WAY more stressed about the situation than you could EVER BE, why don't you offer them some encouragement? Wouldn't encouragement (Oh, you're such a good mommy to be so patient with a crying child! I'm afraid I'd lose it!) be more CONSIDERATE than glaring at the child or parent? If you can't be encouraging, and can't find it in yourself to be patient, if you can't stand the crying, try to +walk away to another aisle......because if you can't make it better, at least you can try to not make it worse. :blowkiss:

Just wanted to thank you (and ALL THE OTHER WISE WS MEMBERS) for the responses and advice. You're right about most parents being aware of the situation and stressed about making their kids happy....it's those who don't seem to even notice that their baby is upset and have that "if I ignore the screaming it will go away" attitude who deserve "the glare". I'll admit that it bothers me very much to hear an upset child... mostly because it's heartbreaking to know that such a helpless, innocent little person is unhappy and can't verbalize what it is that's causing it. It makes me ANGRY to watch a parent ignore the fact that their child is upset. I know most parents are so in-tune with their babies needs that they know EXACTLY what to do to make them happy...it's those who don't seem to care that I can't stand. Maybe I should've been more clear in my post. :)
I guess my hesitation about saying anything or trying to distract a baby comes from my experience as a cashier in a retail store during highschool. I once asked a child to stop climbing/hanging on the clothing racks because I didn't want the racks to fall and injure him. The mom got really upset at me for "telling her kid what to do", even though I was nice to him and was only looking out for his safety. Then there are so many bad people in the world that I can understand a parent being cautious toward strangers....and not wanting me to speak to or try and distract their kid.
Thanks again, everyone, for the suggestions. I might try to key-jingle or peek-a-boo thing next time. :)

Steely Dan
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Just wanted to thank you (and ALL THE OTHER WISE WS MEMBERS) for the responses and advice. You're right about most parents being aware of the situation and stressed about making their kids happy....it's those who don't seem to even notice that their baby is upset and have that "if I ignore the screaming it will go away" attitude who deserve "the glare". I'll admit that it bothers me very much to hear an upset child... mostly because it's heartbreaking to know that such a helpless, innocent little person is unhappy and can't verbalize what it is that's causing it. It makes me ANGRY to watch a parent ignore the fact that their child is upset. I know most parents are so in-tune with their babies needs that they know EXACTLY what to do to make them happy...it's those who don't seem to care that I can't stand. Maybe I should've been more clear in my post. :)
I guess my hesitation about saying anything or trying to distract a baby comes from my experience as a cashier in a retail store during highschool. I once asked a child to stop climbing/hanging on the clothing racks because I didn't want the racks to fall and injure him. The mom got really upset at me for "telling her kid what to do", even though I was nice to him and was only looking out for his safety. Then there are so many bad people in the world that I can understand a parent being cautious toward strangers....and not wanting me to speak to or try and distract their kid.
Thanks again, everyone, for the suggestions. I might try to key-jingle or peek-a-boo thing next time. :)

There are so many Jackasses in this world. I hate parents like that. I think it might be more that they are taking offense to your seeing the obvious lack of parenting skills they have. You embarrassed them publicly, at least they should be embarrassed.

If the rack fell over on him the mother would sue the store and it would be ruled the stores fault for not making the store safe for stupid kids and bad parents. :furious:

I was waiting to get a haircut one time. A woman's approx. 6 year old daughter was running around grabbing on to stuff and being a general terror. The only way this woman could figure out to deal with it was to yell at her. If it were me I'd have called her over and asked her what she wanted for Christmas, it was coming up soon, or to tell me a story or get her involved in some friendly verbal distraction. The hairdressers were too busy to see all of this but again they would have been liable if the stupid kid hurt herself. :rolleyes:

kgeaux
09-05-2009, 11:15 PM
What happened to the gross dude. :puke:

They never found him.

Steely Dan
09-06-2009, 12:12 AM
They never found him.

It would have been cool to get his license plate but I guess he beat the system. :saythat: :crazy:

Vegas Bride
01-20-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/roger-stephens-sentenced-1-year-slapping-child-wal-mart-2559711.html

Well he's going to be spending some jail time and according to his lawyer he is "Just amazed" how this got so much attention.

1 year with credit for time already served so he should spend about 6 more months behind bars.

VB

Hopeful One
01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/roger-stephens-sentenced-1-year-slapping-child-wal-mart-2559711.html

Well he's going to be spending some jail time and according to his lawyer he is "Just amazed" how this got so much attention.

1 year with credit for time already served so he should spend about 6 more months behind bars.

VB

I'm shocked that he got so much time. Usually we see judges just give these jerks a slap (no pun intended) on the wrist.

I'm glad though. He got what he deserved.

Steely Dan
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
"He's absolutely amazed this incident took on such Goliath proportions," Sliz said. "He never in his wildest imagination believed it would mushroom into this."

Sliz called his client's behavior "the ultimate knee-jerk reaction."

"He put his hands on a child when he clearly shouldn't have, and he realizes that," the attorney said.

Still isn't learning it appears. :loser:

justbeachy
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I had forgotten about this story (or maybe blocked it out of my memory is more accurate), so thank you for posting the update. I'm pretty sure that if someone slapped my child across the face (4 or 5 times???) that I'd end up in jail, too, because I would've knocked is a$$ out.

Steely Dan
01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I had forgotten about this story (or maybe blocked it out of my memory is more accurate), so thank you for posting the update. I'm pretty sure that if someone slapped my child across the face (4 or 5 times???) that I'd end up in jail, too, because I would've knocked is a$$ out.

Had I been there, I would've been hard pressed to keep from tackling him and beating his face on the floor a few times. :furious:

Or better yet stop by the chainsaw section first! :thumb:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)