PDA

View Full Version : How many books are being rushed to press?

Californian
09-09-2009, 03:14 AM
I just came across a post (http://forums.contracostatimes.com/topic/a-jaycee-lee-dugard-book) on a newspaper forum from author John Glatt looking to talk to people who knew the Garridos and Jaycee for a book he is writing on the case for St. Martin's Press.

Have you heard of other authors doing the same? And how do you feel about this?

Also, do authors come to the WS forums for research and information?

Californian
09-09-2009, 03:24 AM
I may have just answered my own question about 3rd parties using this website for research. This was the next topic (http://forums.contracostatimes.com/topic/abc-early-show-cheyvonne-molino) I scrolled to in the newspaper's forum with this post:

{first paragraph snipped}

I've also been following some interesting information on her from websleuths dot com (Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Hot Cases > Jaycee Lee Dugard > {omitted}). They've dug up some very disturbing public records. A video of {name omitted} interview is also posted on this site if anyone is interested.

I DO NOT WANT to turn this into another discussion about CM; I'm posting the entry because of the unexpected reference to WebSleuths. Let's please keep discussion of CM in that thread.

Back to my original question, how many authors do you think do research on these forums? How much of it makes its' way into books? And how do you feel about it ~ especially now, with Jaycee's story?

MBK
09-09-2009, 07:58 AM
I
Back to my original question, how many authors do you think do research on these forums? How much of it makes its' way into books? And how do you feel about it ~ especially now, with Jaycee's story?

Great question!

One would HOPE that authors who write such investigative books would have the research skills to find this info (like CM's record) themselves.

But I am sure authors they use this and other forums as a shortcut. (A dear friend of our family who was a financial reporter who traveled all over the world used to talk about authors and writers who would get information on a locale from the first person they met at an airport or seaport and then zip back to the states to write a novel or article with "local color".)

Now is a good time to start working on a book about the topic, but there is so much more to come. I guess if anyone here is going to write something themselves, then they might keep "pieces" and "thoughts" to themselves so they don't become public property on the Internet!!!

i.b.nora
09-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Also, do authors come to the WS forums for research and information?
Yes, of course. Doesn't mean that they don't then further develop the information.

nursebeeme
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I would assume that all authors use the internet in some way, shape, or form to do research. That being said, I hope they know how to CITE THEIR SOURCES APPROPRIATELY and give CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE (and that, my friends, is a whole 'nother basket 'o apples!)

Dr. Doogie
09-15-2009, 05:51 PM
There was at least one "true crime" author at the 9/14 hearing/press conference (not the name mentioned above). I had a chance to talk with him and he gave me an autographed copy of one of his books.

westerncolorado
09-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Doogie, I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere, but did you give a personal account of what went down at the press conference? Thanks!

Leila
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
There are some good true crime authors out there.

Although I've read a variety of authors, one I particularly like is Mark Fuhrman. He did a great job on his book, Murder in Greenwich, and it was his investigation of Martha Moxley's death that led to a new investigation and trial, with the conviction of Michael Skakel, Kennedy cousin.

Mark Fuhrman also spent time in Orlando, Florida on the disappearance of Caylee Anthony, and I thought he might write a book about that.

But this case, with the necessary investigation into the background of both PG and NG seems like a case more to his preference.

Californian
09-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just got curious when I came across an entry on a different forum from John Glatt that he has already been commissioned by his publisher to start a new book on the Garrido case and was looking for information. He previously wrote Secrets In the Cellar about the Josef Fritzl case in Austria.

Then when I saw the reference to WS on an outside forum, I got curious. It seems like authors have to do a lot less legwork in this age of having everything at their fingertips online than they did in the "old" days.

It made me wonder if 1) new technology affects the quality of research, and 2) how much info is extracted from sites like WS and goes uncredited.

edited to add:
duh, I just paraphrased myself from earlier posts. oh well, lol.

my2sisters
09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't care who writes books as long as it can help keep children safe from perverts and predators. Everything in this forum is public knowledge and all we're doing is ferreting out the useful information and discussing it. Cali, I don't understand why this bothers you and why you think anyone needs (or deserves) credit.