PDA

View Full Version : CT- Annie Le, 24, Yale Student, Missing 9/8/09

Pages : [1] 2 3

jamiect
09-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Yale Searches For Missing Medical Student

Associated Press

7:29 a.m. EDT, September 10, 2009

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale University Police Department is asking for the public's help in finding a Yale medical graduate student who disappeared on Tuesday.

Twenty-four-year-old Annie Le has not been seen nor heard from by family, co-workers and friends. She is described as Asian, with brown shoulder-length hair and brown eyes, 4 feet, 11 inches tall and weighing 90 pounds.

Le, beginning her third year as a doctoral student in pharmacology, was last seen at her laboratory at 10 Amistad St. She was wearing a knee-length brown skirt, a bright green short-sleeved t-shirt, brown shoes and a brown necklace.

Le's purse, containing her cell phone, credit cards and money, were left in her office.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-ap-ct-missingyalestudensep09,0,1467613.story

jamiect
09-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Yale student,
bride-to-be vanishes

Annie Le is supposed to marry on Sunday (9/13).

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/news_wtnh_newhaven_yale_student_gone_missing_20090 9081621_rev1

ckwood32
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,548904,00.html
I don't know what to make of this one. Cold feet or crime?

SuziQ
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
So am I to understand that she probably went missing at the time the fire alarm was sounded?

ckwood32
09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
So am I to understand that she probably went missing at the time the fire alarm was sounded?
I don't know - the articles state they could not verify if she ever left the building. The fire alarm was also a false alarm. Strange.

Sleuthster
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Very strange story.

Googling I found their wedding registry. They are supposed to be married 9/13/09 in just a couple days.

http://registry.weddingchannel.com/gvr/guestregistrydetail.action?retailer_registry_uid=3 10304131&listby=dept

Sleuthster
09-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Maybe she got cold feet

lymom3
09-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I hope it's only cold feet.

ckwood32
09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I wonder if she usually left her purse and cell phone behind? Kinda seems like she would at least bring her cell phone.

Sleuthster
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I wonder if she usually left her purse and cell phone behind? Kinda seems like she would at least bring her cell phone.

The cell phone is the first thing I'd leave if I wanted to disapear :rolleyes:

Brains & NoBull
09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
The fire alarm disturbs me. It certainly appears to have been utilized as a distraction. At 4 foot 11 and 90 lbs, she is just a tiny wisp of a thing. I hope that they check the building adequately. If they have footage of her entering the building, but not exiting, that is a bad sign.

Let's pray that this is a case of cold feet!

jamiect
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
The fire alarm disturbs me. It certainly appears to have been utilized as a distraction. At 4 foot 11 and 90 lbs, she is just a tiny wisp of a thing. I hope that they check the building adequately. If they have footage of her entering the building, but not exiting, that is a bad sign.

Let's pray that this is a case of cold feet!

ITA, LE needs to check every square inch of that building. I pray this another runaway bride case, but sadly I'm afraid it's not.:frown:

ckwood32
09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
The cell phone is the first thing I'd leave if I wanted to disapear :rolleyes:

Very good point!!!

KaylynnCouture
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
A 2007 graduate of the University of Rochester who is now studying for a doctorate in pharmacology and molecular medicine, Le began the day Tuesday working in her lab at the Sterling Hall of Medicine, said University Vice President and Secretary Linda Lorimer.

Le left the lab sometime Tuesday morning to walk the three blocks to the Amistad Street facility where she frequently works on experiments, according to Lorimer.

She brought her Yale identification card with her — records show that she swiped it at the building's entrance about 10 a.m. — but left her purse with her cell phone, credit cards and money in her Sterling office, Lorimer said.

From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,548904,00.html

dreamweaver
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
It just doesn't seem like she would be a runaway bride. Although, it is would be hard to know what criteria that takes.

But, going to the lab, pile of papers/folders in her hands.
Is she planning on working at the lab?
Or just stopping in?
Does she have her own lab?
Does she share lab room?

I think someone did something to her. Maybe
someone who had been 'too friendly' to her?
Maybe they took her out through the parking garage?

The fire alarm at 1pm is too suspicious.

Annette73
09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Ironically, Le penned a crime and safety article for B Magazine, a Yale publication, in February.

Link to the article she wrote:
http://bbs.yale.edu/images/B10_1.pdf

Source:
FBI joins search for
Yale student
Annie Le was to be married on Sunday

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/news_wtnh_newhaven_yale_student_gone_missing_20090 9081621_rev1

LLLindsayy
09-10-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=725615990&ref=search&sid=1565010167.3289629519..1

jamiect
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Bride to be vanishes---Nancy Grace Tonight- 9/10

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

gaia227
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
She has been missing since Tuesday and today was the first time I saw anything about it. It was featured on our local news tonight.

The fire alarm certainly seems like it was used as a diversion.

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I am having a hard time thinking she left the building by normal means due to the video cameras that were mentioned in a post upstream..

This was a controlled access lab facility.. there had to be plenty~o~ cameras.

Either she (moo):

1) left on her own purposfully avoiding the cameras
2) went down the fire escape/stairs durinig the fire drill (most likely cameras not pointed at this sort of entrance/exit)... because she was lured with the fire drill ~or~ she went that way to avoid camera detection
3) has not left the building (does everyone remember that case where the woman... and sorry I cannot recall her name at the moment....was lured in to an unused floor, killed and stuffed in the air duct)

I wonder if all the maintenance people/other students and faculty in the building that day have been questioned?

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/09/10/2009-09-10_yale_grad_student_annie_le_disappears_5_days_be fore_wedding.html

This link has the still of her (I am assuming it is one of her entering the building.

Cops are checking the lab's video camera footage to see if Le left when the building was evacuated at 1 p.m. after someone pulled a fire alarm.

I sincerely hope they have dusted the fire alarm pull for prints

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
State police with bloodhounds searched the area where Le was last seen, and authorities were continuing to search nearby, Yale Police Chief James Perotti said in a statement. The FBI was assisting, and investigators also were reviewing images from closed-circuit cameras

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/09/10/crimesider/entry5300869.shtml

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
FBI agents were spotted today at her New Haven apartment, but they wouldn't comment

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/story/Yale-student-disappears-days-before-wedding/YLajgVxJe06DT1sbgBVpEQ.cspx

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:39 PM
"They've talked to him," said Lorimer, who added that "there's not a worry about" his possible involvement in the disappearance

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/10/live-blog-updates-annie-les-disappearance/

Does anyone else find this comment kind of strange and a bit premature?

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
The School of Medicine has stepped up security today in the wake of Le’s disappearance

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/10/extra-security-school-medicine-today/

picture at link

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Updated 3:39 p.m. | The FBI has now left Le's home, and agents could be seen removing a bag of belongings. It was not clear what exactly they took.
Updated 1:50 p.m. | Six more FBI agents just entered Le's apartment.
Four FBI agents entered Annie Le's MED '13 apartment at 188 Lawrence St. at about 1 p.m. this afternoon

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/10/fbi-searches-les-apartment/

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Yale Police Department Chief James Perrotti sent an e-mail message to the Yale community at 11:15 a.m. today asking for help in locating missing Annie Le MED '13, who has not been seen or heard from in more than 48 hours.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/10/police-search-10-amistad-st-bloodhounds/

finally

eyes4crime
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
A Doctoral student in Pharmacology who arrived with an arm full of papers (research)...was she working on her dissertation? Did she teach? Can't imagine her being trite enough for tricks...could she pull the fire alarm as a cry for help? If teaching, did she have students who resented her? Or in competition for her research? Hope they find this lovely young woman.

dreamweaver
09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
A Doctoral student in Pharmacology who arrived with an arm full of papers (research)...was she working on her dissertation? Did she teach? Can't imagine her being trite enough for tricks...could she pull the fire alarm as a cry for help? If teaching, did she have students who resented her? Or in competition for her research? Hope they find this lovely young woman.
-----------------------------------

She did teach. She did research. She was working on her PhD.

Recovering-Lurker
09-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Not sounding very good.

gaia227
09-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I am having a hard time thinking she left the building by normal means due to the video cameras that were mentioned in a post upstream..

Either she (moo):

2) went down the fire escape/stairs durinig the fire drill (most likely cameras not pointed at this sort of entrance/exit)... because she was lured with the fire drill ~or~ she went that way to avoid camera detection
3) has not left the building (does everyone remember that case where the woman... and sorry I cannot recall her name at the moment....was lured in to an unused floor, killed and stuffed in the air duct)

I wonder if all the maintenance people/other students and faculty in the building that day have been questioned?

Yes. I kept up with her case because she lived about a block away from me. Eridania was her first name. She was in the air duct for several days before they found her and they had searched the building extensively with dogs and police. I think it is very possible she could be in the building. I guess the 'good' news about that is she will be found due to reasons I don't think I have to mention.

gaia227
09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Several sources have said she left her belongings in her 'office' and left to go to the other building. If she had her own office I don't think it is that weird for her to leave her things especially if she was running a quick errand. I leave my purse, cell, wallet, etc in my office when I run out to get something to grab lunch or whatever. I will just put some money in my pocket. That is only if I know I am only going to be gone for a short amount of time.

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 05:59 PM
While at the University of Rochester, she did a summer project at the National Institutes of Health on bone tissue engineering with a goal of regenerating tissue for people suffering from degenerative bone diseases. She said her career goal was to work as an NIH investigator or as a professor.
http://wokv.com/common/ap/2009/09/10/D9AKMB480.html

This does NOT sound like a woman who would up and run off... and leave everything she has worked so hard for

nursebeeme
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Her lab is in the Yale Medical School complex, slightly less than a mile from the main campus.

Her mentor, Rocky Tuan, described her as bright and hardworking, saying the NIH undergraduate scholars program was very selective.

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/US_Missing_Yale_Student_440350C.shtml

eyes4crime
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
-----------------------------------

She did teach. She did research. She was working on her PhD.

I didn't know if she had a class or not so early in the year. LE need to question her students. If she did research only for her dissertation, than they need to see what other PHD students were doing similar research - lots of jealousy in that circle.

TGIRecovered
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Either she (moo):

My first thought upon hearing of the false alarm was that an attacker had created the diversion in order to quickly exit the building, (possibly with a body), after the halls were cleared. A container such as a large dufflebag, suitcase or even a rolling trash container could have concealed her small body. If they didn't want to be observed carrying a large container, I suppose it could be lowered out of a ground-floor window, maybe behind a bush, and retrieved by the perp after he exits the building empty handed.

Another explanation would be someone exiting the building in a hurry through a fire exit; accidentally triggering the alarm.

Ooo...what if the perp, (if there is a perp) is actually someone you would expect to see respond to a fire alarm, such as campus police, faculty member, or other employee? Quite a few possibilities!

The article she wrote for the campus paper featured some seriously bad crime stats for the Yale community. Makes me wonder if the campus police are not very well supervised or trained. Makes me wonder if the Cheif might have cought some flack as a result of her reporting...wonder what his background info looks like...? Anyone know?

Susan

Wikisleuth
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
The Daily News mentioned Le's roommate reported her missing when she failed to return home Tuesday evening:

'"Le's roommate in New Haven reported her missing when she didn't come home Tuesday, police said.'

Obviously a thorough investigation into her social circle is important, but something struck me as a bit odd when I read the roommate notified authorities of Le's disappearance. I understand a roommate would be the first to notice a deviation in someone's pattern of living, but it seems like the roommate (she or he) would know the most about Annie's daily routine since Le's family is in California and her fiance a 3 hour train ride away in New York. That being said, I'd be interested to know what information specifically the police are able to get from her statement.

Wikisleuth
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Though Yale administrators have said Le's fiance is "not a worry" to the investigation, I still checked out the couple's marriage web page.

I'm not too familiar with online marriage announcements but their page seemed pretty low-fi. No pictures, anything. It was pretty sparse and they were only registered at Macy's. That doesn't sound very romantic. That's like registering at Kohl's, isn't it?

So though the fiance may not be culpable, perhaps the austere nature of their wedding announcement reflects a less than fervent desire for the marriage. That could introduce the element of a runaway bride scenario with another lover, a la Anu Solanki, a young South Asian American girl who vanished in Illinois two years ago only to be found days later on the road with a previous boyfriend.

I know Le and her fiance have been together since their undergraduate days in Rochester (class of 2007), but the idea of willful absconding is far more appealing that duffel bags and fire alarm diversions. Unfortunately, both could be equally likely.

Wikisleuth
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
My first thought upon hearing of the false alarm was that an attacker had created the diversion in order to quickly exit the building, (possibly with a body), after the halls were cleared. A container such as a large dufflebag, suitcase or even a rolling trash container could have concealed her small body. If they didn't want to be observed carrying a large container, I suppose it could be lowered out of a ground-floor window, maybe behind a bush, and retrieved by the perp after he exits the building empty handed.

Another explanation would be someone exiting the building in a hurry through a fire exit; accidentally triggering the alarm.

Ooo...what if the perp, (if there is a perp) is actually someone you would expect to see respond to a fire alarm, such as campus police, faculty member, or other employee? Quite a few possibilities!

The article she wrote for the campus paper featured some seriously bad crime stats for the Yale community. Makes me wonder if the campus police are not very well supervised or trained. Makes me wonder if the Cheif might have cought some flack as a result of her reporting...wonder what his background info looks like...? Anyone know?

Susan
TGIRecovered said

"The article she wrote for the campus paper featured some seriously bad crime stats for the Yale community. Makes me wonder if the campus police are not very well supervised or trained. Makes me wonder if the Cheif might have cought some flack as a result of her reporting...wonder what his background info looks like...? Anyone know?"

I think that's an interesting thought, but might be too dramatic. I don't think we can assume an overwhelming conspiracy involving the university, the local police chief and the fourth estate. But that would make a great read for an airplane.

Julessleuther
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
TGI: I too, think that the fire alarm is a curious coincidence. I wonder, too, if it were not a distraction.

O/T: Wikisleuth-- Since I see you have only just joined and posted to this thread, I have to ask:are you are local or connected to this case? Are you connected with Wiki? You seem to have local info.

TGI's idea, while alternative, is what we do here---think out of the box. I would not dare to classify anyones ideas as dramatic (airline reading, hmpf), as we have seen some of the most outrageous and unusual situations possible in the cases posted on websleuths. TGI is a respected member of this group, and should be respected as such, so please do not be condescending to them. Any and all ideas are welcome here, as long as they do not personally attack or slander others. Also please link your sources too when quoting news sources. Thanks! JMO

eyes4crime
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
The lab is surrounded by video and you need a key card to get in. There is lots of VERY expensive equipment in the labs and I'm sure it's well protected. Who else would have key cards...maybe janitors, campus police, lab assistants, faculty, medical students, research students, etc. The search for Annie started so late that she could be anywhere by now. The fire alarm could have been a call for help by Annie - or a distraction. No way of knowing right now.

When you have an ambitious and dedicated PHD student who is heavily involved in research in Pharmacology - doubt she would play games and tricks...just not in her nature! They better start looking in all the small places like vents, cans, etc. I would be shocked if this were voluntary on her part. Sure hope they find this beautiful and intelligent woman.

SnowAngels
09-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Has anyone else "visited" her facebook page? I was on there much earlier today. I went again just a bit ago, and I swear someone is deleting all of the "hope you are okay" "thoughts and prayers are with you" - type messages. I noted a specific one from earlier, went back- it was gone.

Is this weird? Or is her fiancee or LE probably deleting them for some unknown reason? Kinda strange.

dreamweaver
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Has anyone else "visited" her facebook page? I was on there much earlier today. I went again just a bit ago, and I swear someone is deleting all of the "hope you are okay" "thoughts and prayers are with you" - type messages. I noted a specific one from earlier, went back- it was gone.

Is this weird? Or is her fiancee or LE probably deleting them for some unknown reason? Kinda strange.
--------------------------

I tried to find her FB page, but I could not.
Maybe LE or fiance are preparing to close it.
Anyone take a snapshot of FB?

I notice in many missing persons cases, the FB or MySpace page is closed. Or set to private.

lucky181
09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I did a twitter seach for Annie's name and one tweet from Pat Brown, profiler, says that she will be on CBS Early Show, tomorrow, Fri. 9/11, to discuss the case around 7-7:30am.

dreamweaver
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Though Yale administrators have said Le's fiance is "not a worry" to the investigation, I still checked out the couple's marriage web page.

I'm not too familiar with online marriage announcements but their page seemed pretty low-fi. No pictures, anything. It was pretty sparse and they were only registered at Macy's. That doesn't sound very romantic. That's like registering at Kohl's, isn't it?

So though the fiance may not be culpable, perhaps the austere nature of their wedding announcement reflects a less than fervent desire for the marriage. That could introduce the element of a runaway bride scenario with another lover, a la Anu Solanki, a young South Asian American girl who vanished in Illinois two years ago only to be found days later on the road with a previous boyfriend.

I know Le and her fiance have been together since their undergraduate days in Rochester (class of 2007), but the idea of willful absconding is far more appealing that duffel bags and fire alarm diversions. Unfortunately, both could be equally likely.
================================

I checked their Macy's gift suggestion page.
I found it a normal wedding gift page.
Requests for nice dishes, silverware, etc.

I did not check their wedding announcement page.
But, simple sounds good.
This two seem like hard working professional people.
Some people like things low key.

I am hoping for the best outcome for Annie.

ot: Do you know this couple?
Your post reads like you do.

Harmony2
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
This case is an enigma.

I am wondering since her wedding was just a few days away if someone obsessively jealous like an old boyfriend, stalker or secret admirer may have abducted her to prevent the wedding from taking place.

KaylynnCouture
09-10-2009, 10:46 PM
FBI Joins Search

Is it a case of a runaway bride, or something more sinister? The FBI have joined state and local police in a search for a Yale graduate student who vanished from the New Haven campus on Tuesday, September 8th.

News Channel 8's Erin Cox says FBI agents with a K-9 team entered 10 Amistad Street Thursday afternoon. Then, authorities began sifting through a garbage dumpster in the back of the building. Annie Le, 24, was last seen on a surveillance video entering that building and has not been heard from since. Yale Police were also there earlier in the day handing out flyers with Le's picture in a quest for more information.

Snipped from: http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/news_wtnh_newhaven_yale_student_gone_missing_20090 9081621_rev1

eyes4crime
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted - info on Yale - MRSP (Medical Research Scholars Program).

http://bbs.yale.edu/training/initiatives/mrsp.aspx

Although people seem to dismiss the possibility of classmates, med. students, and fellow competitive researchers as possible perps - I don't think that should be ruled out. Competition can be fierce between research students and medical students. :eek:

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Yale Searches For Missing Medical Student

Associated Press

7:29 a.m. EDT, September 10, 2009

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Yale University Police Department is asking for the public's help in finding a Yale medical graduate student who disappeared on Tuesday.

Twenty-four-year-old Annie Le has not been seen nor heard from by family, co-workers and friends. She is described as Asian, with brown shoulder-length hair and brown eyes, 4 feet, 11 inches tall and weighing 90 pounds.

Le, beginning her third year as a doctoral student in pharmacology, was last seen at her laboratory at 10 Amistad St. She was wearing a knee-length brown skirt, a bright green short-sleeved t-shirt, brown shoes and a brown necklace.

Le's purse, containing her cell phone, credit cards and money, were left in her office.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-ap-ct-missingyalestudensep09,0,1467613.story

10 Amistad Street

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=10+Amistad+St.,+New+Haven+Connecticut&sll=41.300903,-72.931892&sspn=0.00162,0.006845&ie=UTF8&ll=41.300903,-72.932128&spn=0.00162,0.006845&t=h&z=18

lucky181
09-11-2009, 12:55 AM
"She is to wed Huntington native Jonathan Widawsky, a Columbia University graduate student in physics, at the North Ritz Club in Syosset on Sunday morning, according to a neighbor who is invited to the ceremony.
“I heard she was a nice girl and very much in love with him , and he with her,” said Lucille Mayer, who lives next door to the Widawsky family on Bittersweet Place in Huntington.
No one answered the door at the Widawsky home Thursday night, and Jonathan Widawsky could not be reached for comment. Yale officials told the Yale Daily News Widawsky is in New Haven, cooperating with authorities investigating Le’s disappearance."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/yale-student-disappears-before-long-island-wedding-1.1437860

Morag
09-11-2009, 05:27 AM
[QUOTE=Wikisleuth;4144394]... her fiance a 3 hour train ride away in New York. .[/QUOTE

There is frequent service on the New Haven line from the Columbia University area (Harlem 125th st station) to New Haven- it's about 1 and 1/2 hours. I don't know what the fiance was doing that day, but he could get to NH and back in a hurry. But what a lovely (and curvaceous) young woman she is...I certainly hope no slimeball got his hands on her.

ETA a link for some pix in the Courant. Sadly, there are photos of cops in Hazmat suits searching the Amistad St. dumpster. At least they are being thorough. Wonder why the FBI was called in so rapidly?

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-yale-student-missing-annie-le-0910-pictures,0,3881581.photogallery

jamiect
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=Wikisleuth;4144394]... her fiance a 3 hour train ride away in New York. .[/QUOTE

There is frequent service on the New Haven line from the Columbia University area (Harlem 125th st station) to New Haven- it's about 1 and 1/2 hours. I don't know what the fiance was doing that day, but he could get to NH and back in a hurry. But what a lovely (and curvaceous) young woman she is...I certainly hope no slimeball got his hands on her.

ETA a link for some pix in the Courant. Sadly, there are photos of cops in Hazmat suits searching the Amistad St. dumpster. At least they are being thorough. Wonder why the FBI was called in so rapidly?

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-yale-student-missing-annie-le-0910-pictures,0,3881581.photogallery

The Today Show did a brief segment on this case this morning and said the FBI was called in less than 48 hours. It was speculated that this was not a runaway bride case, but something more sinister. They also said the fiance was working with authorities.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm glad the FBI was called in so quickly, but it does seem quick. Usually that only happens with missing and murdered children.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Here is the link from the Today Show. I wonder if there was anything about her research that would call the FBI in so quickly?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/32795579#32795579 (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/32795579#32795579)

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Below is from the campus newspaper. It explains why LE might be having a problem identifying Annie on tape. An explanation for the alarm is also offered.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/11/search-continues-missing-student/

(snip)
While police said Le entered the facility wearing a lime green shirt, Highsmith said it is possible that she changed clothes or put on a white lab coat while in the building. If she did, investigators will have an even harder time identifying her in the footage.
A fire alarm that was sounded at 12:40 p.m. Tuesday is not thought to be related to her disappearance, Highsmith said. She added that a malfunctioning smoke detector caused the alarm and that investigators do not believe anyone tampered with the fire system.

Timeline:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/media/2009/09/11/le_timeline/

Medical School Campus Map:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/media/2009/09/11/map/

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Ok, so before 10am she left everything at her office then went to the lab only taking her ID and the papers seen on the surveillance video. Her path takes her right by the Psychiatric Hosp.....just sayin.....

ETA: she would have passed the hosp on her return trip. Doesn't explain why she's not seed leaving her building though.

momtective
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm just now reading about Annie. I'm wondering what her normal schedule was. It seems strange to me that the roommate notified LE early on, like before 9:00pm. Was it that unusual for Annie to be later than 9:00pm in getting home? I would think not.
I would think if I had a roommate and she wasn't home by 9:00pm, I would probably be thinking 1. She's working late. 2. She went out to dinner or for a drink. 3. She's probably doing wedding stuff.
I don't think at 9:00pm I would be thinking she was a missing person.
I hope LE is looking at the roommate. Could be a case of extreme jealousy.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm just now reading about Annie. I'm wondering what her normal schedule was. It seems strange to me that the roommate notified LE early on, like before 9:00pm. Was it that unusual for Annie to be later than 9:00pm in getting home? I would think not.
I would think if I had a roommate and she wasn't home by 9:00pm, I would probably be thinking 1. She's working late. 2. She went out to dinner or for a drink. 3. She's probably doing wedding stuff.
I don't think at 9:00pm I would be thinking she was a missing person.
I hope LE is looking at the roommate. Could be a case of extreme jealousy.

All very true. I might be suspicious the next day or something. In living situations like that, you might not see your roomate for days. It could be that Annie and the roomate had something important planned that night and Annie didn't show. 9pm still seems awfully early and quick.

momtective
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
The FBI has now left Le's home, and agents could be seen removing a bag of belongings. It was not clear what exactly they took.
Updated 1:50 p.m. | Six more FBI agents just entered Le's apartment.
Four FBI agents entered Annie Le's MED '13 apartment at 188 Lawrence St. at about 1 p.m. this afternoon

Maybe the belonging removed from the apartment belong to the roommate.

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Below is from the campus newspaper. It explains why LE might be having a problem identifying Annie on tape. An explanation for the alarm is also offered.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/11/search-continues-missing-student/

(snip)
While police said Le entered the facility wearing a lime green shirt, Highsmith said it is possible that she changed clothes or put on a white lab coat while in the building. If she did, investigators will have an even harder time identifying her in the footage.
A fire alarm that was sounded at 12:40 p.m. Tuesday is not thought to be related to her disappearance, Highsmith said. She added that a malfunctioning smoke detector caused the alarm and that investigators do not believe anyone tampered with the fire system.

Timeline:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/media/2009/09/11/le_timeline/

Medical School Campus Map:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/media/2009/09/11/map/
Quoting from the first article:

Lorimer said officials continue to examine every frame of security tape footage from the Amistad Street building but have not yet found any evidence that Le left that facility after she entered at about 10 a.m. Tuesday. Cameras cover every exit of the building, Highsmith said.

So anyone entering and exiting the building would be captured on the surveillance cameras. If there is an abductor they would be on there as well.

jadejazzkayla
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
The fire alarm went off at lunchtime. If she left the building during the mass exit in her white lab coat, she could have taken the opportunity to go get something to eat.

Her roomate may have tried calling Annie's cell phone, got no answer and called her office and was told her purse was still at her desk. Or she (the roomate) may have gone over to Annie's office herself and found the purse and cell phone. Then she called police at about 9pm.

SleuthyMama
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Don't have much more to add myself other than I don't feel this is a runaway bride case. I do believe it is something more sinister. My gut says fiance is not involved.

Upon entering the building, I have a feeling she never left.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-annie-leyale-student-missing0911.artsep11,0,932473.story

(snip)
A woman who identified herself as Le's roommate said police told her not to discuss Le's disappearance with anyone. The woman, who declined to give her name, said she last saw Le on Tuesday morning.

"I'm so worried," she said.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 09:59 AM
So where is Annie's car?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/woman_disappears_before_wedding_JnBXGuC3IPFH13M2UY rHOK

(snips)
"They don't know where Annie is! I got to go!" Widawsky, 24, told his Manhattan roommate, Dory Kramer, after calling Le's roomie when she failed to respond to him online Tuesday night.
"He was on the next train to New Haven," Kramer said of Widawsky, a doctoral candidate in physics. "He was very distraught. He was worried. The timing is terribly cruel

But a friend and fellow student, Xiao Hung, told Fox 5 News that on a prior occasion near the building, Le "had been approached by other people and she managed to get in the car and escape from that incident."

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I believe that I read earlier that her professor said that she worked very closely with other students, it almost sounded like a project, and that they noticed very quickly that she as missing. My take on this is that she was not where she was supposed to be. Perhaps someone called her roommate, and her roommate, being closer to her, decided to call LE. I do not think the roommate was involved, just the closest to her.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 10:05 AM
A little more info about Annie and her daily life recently:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/11/ten-hours-days-and-still-smiling/

As police and law enforcement officials continue to search for Annie Le MED ’13, onlookers raced to piece together her life story, hoping to find clues that could help resolve her case.
Le, who was reported missing Tuesday, is known for her work ethic. The 24-year-old graduate student spent 10 hours each day in her pharmacology lab, and lately, those hours had grown longer — Le was trying to get ahead before her Sunday wedding. She recently picked a topic for her dissertation: understanding how certain proteins are involved with metabolic diseases such as diabetes.

More at link.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
So where is Annie's car?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/woman_disappears_before_wedding_JnBXGuC3IPFH13M2UY rHOK

But a friend and fellow student, Xiao Hung, told Fox 5 News that on a prior occasion near the building, Le "had been approached by other people and she managed to get in the car and escape from that incident."

respectfully snipped
:confused::eek::confused: whaaaat?

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
respectfully snipped
:confused::eek::confused: whaaaat?

I know. I keep thinking about the Psych Hospital.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:12 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/09/11/ng.student.vanishes.cnn?iref=videosearch

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Le's purse, cell phone, credit cards and money were found in her office. She planned to get married on Sunday, but has not contacted her family, co-workers or friends.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/09/11/us/AP-US-Missing-Yale-Student.html?hp

Just thinking out loud here... but she left her phone, keys, purse, money in her office.. and went to the lab only with papers and her swipe card.

That makes me think that the trip would be short to the lab.... It makes me think that she left the building/something happened before the fire alarm incident. I wonder if there are cameras inside the building.

This case is very confusing and perplexing. I sincerely hope Annie is found safe....

**one more thought.... on the nancy Grace video I posted above she tries to clarify if another human being actually placed her at the lab (other than her key card and the video still of her entering the building with her papers) and the reporter said it was not clear at this time... ((my head is spinning peeps))

gaia227
09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
So where is Annie's car?

(snips)
"They don't know where Annie is! I got to go!" Widawsky, 24, told his Manhattan roommate, Dory Kramer, after calling Le's roomie when she failed to respond to him online Tuesday night.
"He was on the next train to New Haven," Kramer said of Widawsky, a doctoral candidate in physics. "He was very distraught. He was worried. The timing is terribly cruel

What does this even mean? She had been approached by strangers who tried to abduct her and she managed to get into HER car and get away? Is there a police report to verify this incident?

gaia227
09-11-2009, 10:35 AM
FYI - The fiance could have taken the MetroNorth out of Grand Central Station to New Haven and been there within 2 hours. He could have taken the MN out of 125th/Harlem and been there in an hour and a half.
He could also have taken the Amtrak train out of Penn Station and it would take an hour and a half.
The trains run pretty regularly day and night. I don't really think he had anything to do with it but thought I would put up the travel info anyway.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:42 AM
No crap G! Hopefully the media is ferretting this out!

Another thing to ponder is that the medical school part of campus is about a mile away from main campus (I posted a link... it is somewhere on page two)
better yet here is a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=yale+main+campus&daddr=yale+school+of+medicine&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=41.307392,-72.929133&sspn=0.029142,0.076818&ie=UTF8&ll=41.305376,-72.932525&spn=0.014572,0.038409&t=h&z=15 point three is the school of medicine. point one is main campus... armistad street (where the lab is right?) is south east of point three (several blocks away) Where I am going with this: The population of students on this part of campus: medical and related studies. However, there are at least two hospitals in that area (I think three) so you also have a ton of other people in that area... The one thing with this case is that she was in a building with lots of security cameras. One of those cameras HAS to show something.....

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/annie-le-find-missing-yale-student/Story?id=8547039&page=1

another article with a talking head on how LE will go about trying to find Annie

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM

Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith said Le’s mother has also been helpful to the investigation, which is being led by the Yale Police Department with assistance from the FBI, Connecticut State Police and New Haven Police Department. Neither Widawsky nor Le’s parents have spoken publicly about Le’s disappearance.

Le had left all her belongings in her Sterling Hall of Medicine office early Tuesday before she walked three blocks to the facility at 10 Amistad St. where she often conducted research. Police began interviewing friends and colleagues of Le late Tuesday and continued that work on Wednesday and Thursday.
The University did not, however, send an e-mail to the entire campus until 10:42 a.m. Thursday, though media outlets were informed of the disappearance on Wednesday afternoon

more at the link

so she had a three block walk to the lab.... here is a walking route map I did: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=sterling+hall+of+medicine&daddr=10+amistad+street&hl=en&geocode=Fe47dgId9h2n-yE7glnLnHdytQ%3B&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=41.30212,-72.931666&sspn=0.003643,0.009602&ie=UTF8&ll=41.302168,-72.933898&spn=0.007286,0.019205&t=h&z=16

Wikisleuth
09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
TGI: I too, think that the fire alarm is a curious coincidence. I wonder, too, if it were not a distraction.

O/T: Wikisleuth-- Since I see you have only just joined and posted to this thread, I have to ask:are you are local or connected to this case? Are you connected with Wiki? You seem to have local info.

TGI's idea, while alternative, is what we do here---think out of the box. I would not dare to classify anyones ideas as dramatic (airline reading, hmpf), as we have seen some of the most outrageous and unusual situations possible in the cases posted on websleuths. TGI is a respected member of this group, and should be respected as such, so please do not be condescending to them. Any and all ideas are welcome here, as long as they do not personally attack or slander others. Also please link your sources too when quoting news sources. Thanks! JMO
No disrespect intended. My apologies. I'll be sure to clarify my tone and follow thread protocol in future posts.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
The police believe she does not have access to a car

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/10/graduate-student-goes-missing/

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Le worked in the pharmacology lab of Anton Bennett, an associate professor of pharmacology. Police confiscated her belongings from that lab yesterday and were still examining her lab space Wednesday evening.
Bennett, for his part, said he was first contacted by police late Tuesday after Le’s roommate reported her missing.
He emphasized that his eight-person laboratory team, of which Le is a member, works closely together and, as such, her colleagues noticed her absence quickly.
“There was certainly immediate concern about her whereabouts,” Bennett said. “And they grew over the course of the day,” especially after she missed a pathology class for which she is a teaching assistant.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/10/graduate-student-goes-missing/

now this certainly is interesting! She works on an eight man lab team that noticed her absence right away! Than she misses a class later in the day! I wonder if any of the eight saw her in the lab? I wonder what time her class was?

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Annie is caught on video carrying an armful of papers while entering the building. Certainly she didn't walk 3 or 4 blocks carrying all those papers, where did she get them. What have I missed? Maybe the video shown is NOT of her entering the building but of another time???

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/11/ten-hours-days-and-still-smiling/

The 24-year-old graduate student spent 10 hours each day in her pharmacology lab, and lately, those hours had grown longer — Le was trying to get ahead before her Sunday wedding. She recently picked a topic for her dissertation: understanding how certain proteins are involved with metabolic diseases such as diabetes.

Minh Nguyen, Le’s uncle, said he was shocked to learn of Le’s disappearance.
“I didn’t want to believe it; I just went numb,” he said, adding that Le and Widawsky visited him in California just four weeks ago.

Le is set to marry Widawsky on Sunday at the North Ritz Club, a private reception hall in the Long Island hamlet of Syosset. Widawsky is Jewish, and in the last few months Le took on a side project in advance of the marriage: She began studying Hebrew.

And wherever she went, Le was cautious. During the workday, Le was always “very transparent” about where she was going, Bennett said, keeping colleagues up to date on her whereabouts.

“She did not feel safe in New Haven,” Schlessinger said

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM

now this certainly is interesting! She works on an eight man lab team that noticed her absence right away! Than she misses a class later in the day! I wonder if any of the eight saw her in the lab? I wonder what time her class was?

GMTA... I was just going to point that out... It sounds like she did not make it to the lab.

Also this statement is interesting...

She brought her Yale identification card with her — records show that she swiped into the building at about 10 a.m —

Is access gained into the building using an id card or is it only her lab that requires swiping of an id card?

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Annie is caught on video carrying an armful of papers while entering the building. Certainly she didn't walk 3 or 4 blocks carrying all those papers, where did she get them. What have I missed? Maybe the video shown is NOT of her entering the building but of another time???

bold is respectfully mine.. this source seems to think she did:

~snip

A surveillance picture grabbed by an overhead camera shows Le walked the three blocks from her office to the medical science building where she has her lab. She swiped her identification card to get into the building about 10 a.m. Tuesday and seemed to vanish into thin air.
~unsnip
http://www.knx1070.com/Yale-Student-s-Disappearance-Baffles-Everyone/5198287

Wikisleuth
09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
As Dr. Gregory House once said we're twice as likely to be murdered by those we love. Unfortunately, he usually then follows up with a detailed patient history and and a break in into their house to search for potential toxins.

As web sleuths we can't do that and are at the mercy of reporters and LE leaking info to us that may or may not be useful. We know the FBI are going through her personal belongings; we can only assume they are doing the same with her Facebook account, text messages and emails.

The maps are helpful but I don't know New Haven well enough to deduce much from her path - i.e. what streets get to hiways, where there is cover, where there is crime, etc.

I believe there is an answer in her personal relationships and lab partners (which someone mentioned before). Someone also mentioned that building (as home to millions of dollars worth of equipment) would have too much security for a perp to enter and commit a crime.

I don't know. Pending results of a full search of the building and the release of more info by LE and journos about her personal life, I fear I'm at a loss.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:27 AM
GMTA... I was just going to point that out... It sounds like she did not make it to the lab.

Is access gained into the building using an id card or is it only her lab that requires swiping of an id card?

BBM. That would be good to know. It would narrow down her disappearance to between entering the building and where the lab is located inside.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:28 AM

just had a thought.... (per your post in bold) Could she have set the files down to swipe in...... swiped the card but never walked into the building? Could she have been summoned from the door? Just a thought

ETA: I guess LE already knows this... if the files are in the lab. I wonder if she had her key card on her person or if it was found in the lab as well (if it WAS found inside the building than you would think someone within the building had something to do with it... as she wouldn't leave it behind or she couldn't get back into the building if she left)

Wikisleuth
09-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Just floating the theory. There could be a Vietnamese-American boyfriend from her past who's not happy about her marrying a white man. As an Asian-American I know that can be an issue of contention.

SuziQ
Former FBI Agent Brad Garrett: How to Find the Missing Yale Student

What Will Investigators Look For to Solve the Mystery of Bride-To-Be Annie Le?

More at link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/annie-le-find-missing-yale-student/story?id=8547039

eyes4crime
...."A surveillance picture grabbed by an overhead camera shows Le walked the three blocks from her office to the medical science building where she has her lab. She swiped her identification card to get into the building about 10 a.m. Tuesday and seemed to vanish into thin air."...

Every article I read says that Annie didn't feel safe...why would she walk 3 blocks with an arm full of papers? I don't think the surveillance of Annie is when she is entering, maybe of her inside????

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Just floating the theory. There could be a Vietnamese-American boyfriend from her past who's not happy about her marrying a white man. As an Asian-American I know that can be an issue of contention.

That is an issue to some people. Check out the comment by John Smith.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/09/disappearance_yale_grad_studen.php

ETA: I hope Steve has snagged this guys IP addy. You never know who's posting.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
The 24-year-old lives with two roommates in a stately old home near campus and seemed to be looking forward to her upcoming marriage to Jonathan Widawsky, a grad student at Columbia University

http://www.knx1070.com/Yale-Student-s-Disappearance-Baffles-Everyone/5198287

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
...."A surveillance picture grabbed by an overhead camera shows Le walked the three blocks from her office to the medical science building where she has her lab. She swiped her identification card to get into the building about 10 a.m. Tuesday and seemed to vanish into thin air."...

Every article I read says that Annie didn't feel safe...why would she walk 3 blocks with an arm full of papers? I don't think the surveillance of Annie is when she is entering, maybe of her inside????

The surveillance tapes looks like it's outside to me. In one snapshot, there's a guy actually going out the door as she's getting ready to go in. Kinda leads me to believe that you don't need a card to enter. And that maybe she only needed a card for her lab inside.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:38 AM

**THUD** (Steve isn't at truecrimereport anymore... sorry OT)

TexasLil
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Someone definitely needs to pursue that comment. It gave me the chills just reading it!

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Here is the pic I was talking about. It actually looks like a girl going through the door. The door that is opened is blocking the view of the wall and I can't see if there is a card scanner.
http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-annie-le-yale-missing-photo,0,2661037.photo

Kat
09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to read along, thank you all for your work at bringing the info here. I appreciate it very much.

Was it ever discussed as to why she didn't feel safe? Just curious.

Were they ever able to locate her exiting the bldg (during fire alarm)? I saw some discussion on that but any additional info is greatly appreciated.

Have the taken any dogs into that bldg yet? TIA

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:41 AM
**THUD** (Steve isn't at truecrimereport anymore... sorry OT)

OT I kinda figured that. I saw his new gig at 48 hours.

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 11:43 AM
The surveillance tapes looks like it's outside to me. In one snapshot, there's a guy actually going out the door as she's getting ready to go in. Kinda leads me to believe that you don't need a card to enter. And that maybe she only needed a card for her lab inside.

I would be totally shocked if one didn't need a key card to get in. The lab facility would have millions of dollars worth of equipment, drugs, supplies, reference materials, computers etc., not to mention all the people inside who are so focused on their research that they notice nothing else.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Le swiped her university identification card to enter the lab building about 10 a.m.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/intense-search-for-missing-yale-student-set-to-wed-on-li-1.1438618

I am still trying to find a link that says otherwise... but everything I have read so far is saying she swiped into the building..... still looking...

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Here is the pic I was talking about. It actually looks like a girl going through the door. The door that is opened is blocking the view of the wall and I can't see if there is a card scanner.
http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-annie-le-yale-missing-photo,0,2661037.photo
GREAT FIND Q!!!! That guy held the door for her.... makes me think you are right that she swiped into her lab door or the area where the labs are located! I hope they found this guy to interview him....

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to read along, thank you all for your work at bringing the info here. I appreciate it very much.

Other than her friend making a reference to a previous encounter, no.

Were they ever able to locate her exiting the bldg (during fire alarm)? I saw some discussion on that but any additional info is greatly appreciated.
Last I heard she has not been seen on tape leaving the building. She could have changed clothes or put on a lab coat.

Have the taken any dogs into that bldg yet?
I've seen pics of dogs outside. I don't know about inside or what kind of dogs they were.

TIA

My answers in blue.

momtective
09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
The Daily News mentioned Le's roommate reported her missing when she failed to return home Tuesday evening:

'"Le's roommate in New Haven reported her missing when she didn't come home Tuesday, police said.'

Obviously a thorough investigation into her social circle is important, but something struck me as a bit odd when I read the roommate notified authorities of Le's disappearance. I understand a roommate would be the first to notice a deviation in someone's pattern of living, but it seems like the roommate (she or he) would know the most about Annie's daily routine since Le's family is in California and her fiance a 3 hour train ride away in New York. That being said, I'd be interested to know what information specifically the police are able to get from her statement.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/marrexdiamonds/WELCOME.png to WS Wikisleuth I'm so happy you found us and appreciate your contribution to the forum.

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/intense-search-for-missing-yale-student-set-to-wed-on-li-1.1438618

I am still trying to find a link that says otherwise... but everything I have read so far is saying she swiped into the building..... still looking...

Maybe someone else swiped her card to get in...Annie was fearful! Why would she walk for 3 blocks with her arms full of papers? I can't imagine any researcher taking papers for a walk outside. At the very least, they would be in a backpack!

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Have the taken any dogs into that bldg yet? TIA

Hey Kitty Kat!!!

~a friend said (there is a link here somewhere) that she had a previous incident with getting away from an "incident" with people... didn't really go into detail

~7 months ago she wrote a published article about safety in New Haven, the high crime, and how to stay safe. She interviewed LE...

~LE is scrubbing the video to see if they can see her exiting the building. LE says the fire drill is most likely not related... it was a smoke alarm malfunction

~blood hounds have been in and around the building with nothing being reported as a "hit"

~they took a bag of evidence from her apartment (I am thinking it was most likely hair brush, etc)

~fbi is on the case. le has been searching dumpsters with hazmat suits on... I think the reason for that is because they are near lots of medical facilities/labs? Just a thought

hope that helps :-)

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Maybe someone else swiped her card to get in...Annie was fearful! Why would she walk for 3 blocks with her arms full of papers? I can't imagine any researcher taking papers for a walk outside. At the very least, they would be in a backpack!

Moreover after writing the article on crime and tips on safety she would know carrying papers might make her vulnerable and may hinder fighting an attack. It appears she was following her safety tips in leaving her belongings at her other office. I am perplexed as well about the papers...

Wikisleuth
09-11-2009, 11:57 AM
It was morning time so I can understand walking three blocks. Your backpack comment makes sense. My question to you though is why your gut thinks this is important? I'm not disparaging, just curious. I'm interested in your extended thought process. Perhaps she left her purse and other belongings at her office because she had to carry all those papers to the lab. Speaking of, did those papers make it to the lab? Obviously we'll have to wait and see.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm confused about her leaving her cell phone at the office and going to the lab without it. Any crime consious person has their cell phone on them at all times.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Investigators today used bloodhounds to search the Amistad Building, where Le was last seen Tuesday.
Outside, FBI investigators scoured several large garbage bins for evidence, and G-men also entered Le’s New Haven apartment.
Electronic records reveal that Le — who is seeking a doctorate in pharmacology and molecular medicine — used her Yale ID card to swipe into the Amistad Building at about 10 a.m. Tuesday.

just a little bit o clarity on the whether the dogs were inside the building.. although this is media... and it can always be a little "off"

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Annie picked the area of research for her dissertation:

topic for her dissertation: understanding how certain proteins are involved with metabolic diseases such as diabetes.

Not only will Annie be missed by her loved ones, colleagues, and friends, but by Planet Earth...her contributions would be immense. Why did Yale wait so long in notifying students??? Thursday AM...why?

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM

just a little bit o clarity on the whether the dogs were inside the building.. although this is media... and it can always be a little "off"

Guess my question is: How do they know for sure it was Annie who swiped the card?

sarahhod
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

FWIW,

A comment was left by a friend at the link below saying that Annie was known to transport mice between her lab and the building she disappeared in. It's possible that she could be the target of an animal rights activist, but they aren't common around Yale.

Is it possible it was mice in a cage covered over with a blanket when she was seen on camera and not papers???

Thanks for all the great updates.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/10/live-blog-updates-annie-les-disappearance/comments/

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm confused about her leaving her cell phone at the office and going to the lab without it. Any crime consious person has their cell phone on them at all times. seeing as she had to teach be at a class later that day (wish we knew the time...) I bet she didn't plan on staying long... just planned on dropping all the files off...

((warning... nurse is just speculating here))... It would make sense to me that because she had just declared her dissertation topic and was trying to get "ahead" before the wedding and had been in her lab more than ten hours a day that she would have been possibly dropping files off related to her new research project (they looked like a bunch of manilla file folders).
If she just planned on a quick in and out of the building it makes sense to me for her to leave her personal items back at the sterling medical building office.

I wonder what her normal "lunch" habits were?

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Unless that girl's head is blocking the view of a card swipe, I'm not seeing one anywhere on the walls by the door.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 12:05 PM
seeing as she had to teach be at a class later that day (wish we knew the time...) I bet she didn't plan on staying long... just planned on dropping all the files off...

((warning... nurse is just speculating here))... It would make sense to me that because she had just declared her dissertation topic and was trying to get "ahead" before the wedding and had been in her lab more than ten hours a day that she would have been possibly dropping files off related to her new research project (they looked like a bunch of manilla file folders).
If she just planned on a quick in and out of the building it makes sense to me for her to leave her personal items back at the sterling medical building office.

I wonder what her normal "lunch" habits were?

Was this a planned visit or did someone summon her to that building? That person could hold the key.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Not trying to start speculation or anything. And I'm sure LE has the entire video sequence and would know if something happened. But the girl in the video looks like she has winter gloves on which I thought odd. And she appears to be moving right at Annie and her hand is clenched like she's about to clock someone. And Annie has her head pulled back as if she's being hesitant. Maybe the girl was just in a hurry and flew through the door, IDK.

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Why do you think she would not have walked 3-4 blocks carrying papers? What I am more curious about is where are those papers now? Perhaps she was working on some kind of medical breakthrough and someone wanted to steal her research? If she was working with 7 other people in the lab, I wonder when THEY last saw her, and which lab?

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM

great set of pictures... picture six shows the bag taken from her apartment. Here is a public transportation map from her house 188 lawrence street, to sterling medical building where her office is.. the walking route is the same... notice that she would have to get off of public transportation, walk a bit, than get back on if she went that route... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=333+Cedar+St,+New+Haven,+CT+06519+(Sterling+ Hall+of+Medicine)&daddr=188+lawrence+street+,new+haven&hl=en&geocode=Fe47dgId9h2n-yE7glnLnHdytQ%3B&mra=cc&dirflg=r&sll=41.311211,-72.924671&sspn=0.029141,0.076818&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14&start=0 could someone have targeted her on her daily route?

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Unless that girl's head is blocking the view of a card swipe, I'm not seeing one anywhere on the walls by the door.

It might be on the outside door itself...used much like a key.

raeann
09-11-2009, 12:16 PM

That appears to be the outside building entrance not the lab entrance. You can see the reflection of outdoor steps and a metal hand rail in the glass of the door on the left hand side. The card swipe would be at the door to the actual lab room.

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
The picture at the below link seems to show she's carrying packages and not papers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549222,00.html?test=latestnews

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
That appears to be the outside building entrance not the lab entrance. You can see the reflection of outdoor steps and a metal hand rail in the glass of the door on the left hand side. The card swipe would be at the door to the actual lab room.

That's what I think too. But media has been reporting she swiped her card to get into the building. I wanted to try to clarify.

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Why do you think she would not have walked 3-4 blocks carrying papers? What I am more curious about is where are those papers now? Perhaps she was working on some kind of medical breakthrough and someone wanted to steal her research? If she was working with 7 other people in the lab, I wonder when THEY last saw her, and which lab?

Can't imagine students at Yale are much different than anywhere else - most research for a dissertation or otherwise is kept under lock and key, backed up by at least 2 computers, with an extra copy in a vault (lol). Annie must be brilliant and her dissertation topic very timely - lots of competition in that area. She could very well have been the target of jealousy, hatred, racism, etc.

raeann
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
That's what I think too. But media has been reporting she swiped her card to get into the building. I wanted to try to clarify.

Yes, well media never seems to get anything exactly right! Anyway, it looks like the person coming out of the building most likely held the door and let her into the building right then.....since she was carrying something in her hands it would sure have been rude if they did NOT do that.

swanniee11
09-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned, but what if the doors from the sidewalk are open for deliveries etc and they they have to swipe once inside to another set of doors??????

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 12:28 PM
http://twitter.com/Sallytweets09/statuses/3914191655

not sure what this tweet could mean???
Journalism integrity in question w/ regards to Annie Le disappearance!

ETA: seems to have been her personal opinion.... she didn't like media calling her a possible runaway bride

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree Wiki! As a university student, it is probably not unusual of her to carry papers, and perhaps they were in binders or something, so she may not have been worried about losing any.

It was morning time so I can understand walking three blocks. Your backpack comment makes sense. My question to you though is why your gut thinks this is important? I'm not disparaging, just curious. I'm interested in your extended thought process. Perhaps she left her purse and other belongings at her office because she had to carry all those papers to the lab. Speaking of, did those papers make it to the lab? Obviously we'll have to wait and see.

Kat
Can't imagine students at Yale are much different than anywhere else - most research for a dissertation or otherwise is kept under lock and key, backed up by at least 2 computers, with an extra copy in a vault (lol). Annie must be brilliant and her dissertation topic very timely - lots of competition in that area. She could very well have been the target of jealousy, hatred, racism, etc.

I saw the idea floated that there may have been jealousy because she was marrying a man outside of her race from a man that shared her race.

I agree with you eyes about the competition in that environment too.

I also wanted to float another possiblity to go along with those other two, her Fiance, could he possibly have an ex gf or friend (even associate) that is jealous of this beautiful, intelligent and accomplished woman who is going to marry him?

nursebeeme
http://twitter.com/yaledailynews

yale daily news twitter feed

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 12:32 PM
one of the comments at yale daily news said it could have been a cleaning person... fwiw

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but what if the doors from the sidewalk are open for deliveries etc and they they have to swipe once inside to another set of doors??????

Once inside, I'm sure there are elevators taking a person to different floors of labs, conference rooms, etc. Seems that without knowing the layout, we are only guessing. Hopefully someone familiar with the building will join us here at WS.

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Is there even one report saying Annie was seen in her lab or in her lab coat?

sarahhod
09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Annie is now on the FBI site.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/le_am.htm

Soulscape
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Annie is now on the FBI site.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/le_am.htm

This flyer shows two dates of birth --- July 31, 1985 and July 3, 1985, birthplace: Texas. (If you want to drive an astro crazy, this is how to do it...).

Any possibility we could get correct date of birth and possibly birth city?

TIA,
Soulscape

SuziQ
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
You know, there have been alot of biologists and biochemists that have disappeared or met with foul play in the past decade. Two from Harvard, and one from inside the Salt Lake City airport the lady in the NJ watertank. Not saying this has to do with anything. It just strikes me as odd.

Don Wiley
Now Memphis police are exploring several theories involving suicide, robbery and murder. They also wonder if the disappearance could be connected to his expertise.
Wiley is seen as one of the world's leading researchers of deadly viruses, including HIV and the Ebola virus.
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/28/missing.scientist/index.html

Police on Saturday identified a body discovered in the Mississippi River this week as that of a Harvard University biochemist, missing for more than a month. More at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/12/22/missing.scientist/

Margie Profet
The most striking thing about biologist Margie Profet used to be her unconventional theories about evolution and pregnancy, conceived as she surfed the perilous waters of academe with neither tenure track nor PhD.
Now, more than 15 years after she made headlines as a young scientific “It Girl,” the most striking thing about Profet is how her life suddenly stopped. One day she was at Harvard University and the next day she wasn't. The prodigal prodigy vanished into thin air, disappeared without a trace. More at link:
http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/2009/06/scientist-disappears-without-a-trace.html

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Yale To Celebrate Opening of New Building for Stem Cell, Cardiovascular, and Immune System Research

Published: October 1, 2007

New Haven, Conn. — Yale School of Medicine on October 5 will celebrate the opening of a new four-story building on Amistad Street to house medical researchers working on cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and the biology and uses of stem cells.

“This laboratory building will be the home of three interdisciplinary research programs that seek to harness the latest discoveries in medical science to the advancement of clinical care,” said Yale Medical School Dean Robert Alpern.

http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=1554

The building is only a few years old and is their newest research facility. Notice that Stem Cell Research takes place in this building. That alone could make the building a target.

bogeygal
09-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Missing Yale bride-to-be Annie Le penned article on campus safety with tips for fellow students

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/09/11/2009-09-11_missing_yale_bridetobe_annie_le_once_penned_art icle.html

eta:

Snipped:

She summed up her article saying: "In short, New Haven is a city, and all cities have their perils, but with a little street smarts, one can avoid becoming yet another statistic."

Dogface
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
What makes me really think she isn't a runaway bride, which maybe I am wrong, is the fact that she was close on her degree, and was working in a lab. I just got in the micro lab at my school, and its like a HUGE deal in the nerd world, and I just can't imagine, working that hard(labs are very competitive) and wanting to walk away from it....

As far as carrying papers on the campus, I don't find it very unusual at all, I know I see people doing this all time, and have juggled quite a few binders/papers myself, and in general, while you should always have your safety guard up, on a campus during the day, I can't imagine anyone being too worried.

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Yale To Celebrate Opening of New Building for Stem Cell, Cardiovascular, and Immune System Research

Published: October 1, 2007

New Haven, Conn. — Yale School of Medicine on October 5 will celebrate the opening of a new four-story building on Amistad Street to house medical researchers working on cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and the biology and uses of stem cells.

“This laboratory building will be the home of three interdisciplinary research programs that seek to harness the latest discoveries in medical science to the advancement of clinical care,” said Yale Medical School Dean Robert Alpern.

http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=1554

The building is only a few years old and is their newest research facility. Notice that Stem Cell Research takes place in this building. That alone could make the building a target.

A little more about the building:

http://www.imakenews.com/cure/e_article000932833.cfm?x=b11,0,w

http://content.ll-0.com/cure/amistad400.jpg?i=110707134728

Misfitdolly
09-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I find the manner in which she is carrying the "papers" to be very unusual. It looks as if she is carrying or cradling something living. My first thought when I saw this pic is she was carrying a baby wrapped in a blanket, before I knew anything about the case.
perhaps it was a research animal, a monkey maybe? It does not look like papers nor does it look like the way a person would carry papers to me.

ETA the picture is the second one you have to click on, sorry I didn't know the link would work that way.

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Once inside, I'm sure there are elevators taking a person to different floors of labs, conference rooms, etc. Seems that without knowing the layout, we are only guessing. Hopefully someone familiar with the building will join us here at WS.

Just FYI and FWIW

The layout of the building was calculated to facilitate teamwork,
featuring continuous, open spaces between labs, faculty
offices grouped together by common research goals,
and conference rooms situated next to the offices.

page 13
http://www.seas.yale.edu/pdfs/bme-news-spring2008.pdf

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I find the manner in which she is carrying the "papers" to be very unusual. It looks as if she is carrying or cradling something living. My first thought when I saw this pic is she was carrying a baby wrapped in a blanket, before I knew anything about the case.
perhaps it was a research animal, a monkey maybe? It does not look like papers nor does it look like the way a person would carry papers to me.

ETA the picture is the second one you have to click on, sorry I didn't know the link would work that way.

I agree..

(from your link)

http://www.foxnews.com/images/561322/1_62_le_annie_surveillance.jpg

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 02:39 PM

Either she (moo):

I wonder if all the maintenance people/other students and faculty in the building that day have been questioned? RIGHT!

They need to bring cadaver's in the building. My first thought when I heard this on NG, was she was still in the building somewhere.

crocus
09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
This flyer shows two dates of birth --- July 31, 1985 and July 3, 1985, birthplace: Texas. (If you want to drive an astro crazy, this is how to do it...).

Any possibility we could get correct date of birth and possibly birth city?

TIA,
Soulscape

Soulscape - here is the info posted at Yale University Office of Public Affairs
I would think that it is the correct birthdate.
http://opa.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=6865

Information about student Annie Le:
Race: Asian female
Hair: Straight brown shoulder length
Eye color: Brown
Height: 4’11
Weight: 90lbs
Missing From: New Haven, CT since the morning of 09/08/2009
Details: Annie Le is a Yale School of Medicine graduate student who has not been seen or heard from by family, co-workers and friends since 09/08/2009. Annie Le’s purse containing her cell phone, credit cards and money was left in her office on the morning of 09/08/2009. She was last seen at 10 Amistad Street wearing a knee length brown skirt, bright green short sleeved tee-shirt, brown shoes, and a brown necklace; photo #2 depicts Annie Le entering 10 Amistad the morning of her disappearance. She does not have access to a vehicle. There are no apparent medical issues.

The 24-year-old doctoral student in pharmacology from Placerville, Calif.
from khsl-tv in northern CA
http://www.khsltv.com/news/state/story/Here-is-the-latest-Northern-California-news-from/VQXSqzA_NE-dzfHb6Nf45A.cspx

smg4ddg
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
My first thought after seeing that picture of her is that she is reading an open book.

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Missing Yale bride-to-be Annie Le penned article on campus safety with tips for fellow students

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/09/11/2009-09-11_missing_yale_bridetobe_annie_le_once_penned_art icle.html

eta:

Snipped:

She summed up her article saying: "In short, New Haven is a city, and all cities have their perils, but with a little street smarts, one can avoid becoming yet another statistic."

I wonder if Annie was being stalked and this was her way of dealing with that issue, to let other students have awareness about safety. Also campus police and FBI needs to interview the editor of that magazine. I think this was someone close to her on campus i.e. jealous and didn't want this poor girl to get married.

Knox
09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
My first thought after seeing that picture of her is that she is reading an open book.

I thought maybe some envelopes but the book fits better

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
A little more about the building:

http://www.imakenews.com/cure/e_article000932833.cfm?x=b11,0,w

http://content.ll-0.com/cure/amistad400.jpg?i=110707134728

Stem cell brings this to a whole other level. Annie was clearly very intellgent and a star in the Biology arena.

Dogface
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Although people seem to dismiss the possibility of classmates, med. students, and fellow competitive researchers as possible perps - I don't think that should be ruled out. Competition can be fierce between research students and medical students. :eek:

It truly is a possibility - especially since she was teaching too. I was in lab after class one day with another student, and the TA, when the student physically attacked the TA over a bad grade...I can't even imagine the competition at an institute like Yale.

ETA - After looking more at the second picture, it does look peculiar.:waitasec:

Misfitdolly
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM

I can see that now, or maybe a big 3 ring binder that is open.

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
You know, there have been alot of biologists and biochemists that have disappeared or met with foul play in the past decade. Two from Harvard, and one from inside the Salt Lake City airport the lady in the NJ watertank. Not saying this has to do with anything. It just strikes me as odd.

Don Wiley
Now Memphis police are exploring several theories involving suicide, robbery and murder. They also wonder if the disappearance could be connected to his expertise.
Wiley is seen as one of the world's leading researchers of deadly viruses, including HIV and the Ebola virus.

Police on Saturday identified a body discovered in the Mississippi River this week as that of a Harvard University biochemist, missing for more than a month. More at link:

Margie Profet
The most striking thing about biologist Margie Profet used to be her unconventional theories about evolution and pregnancy, conceived as she surfed the perilous waters of academe with neither tenure track nor PhD.
Now, more than 15 years after she made headlines as a young scientific “It Girl,” the most striking thing about Profet is how her life suddenly stopped. One day she was at Harvard University and the next day she wasn't. The prodigal prodigy vanished into thin air, disappeared without a trace. More at link:
http://blogs.discovery.com/news_animal/2009/06/scientist-disappears-without-a-trace.html

Right an astute observation! Stem cell is very controversial. Totally worth looking into.
I just think it odd that her disappearance appears staged. Weren't there survelliance inside this new facility? I don't believe that they have no record of her leaving the building. Every student can be interviewed who was present at the fire drill. Someone saw Annie.

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Didn't Yale Police state that the students have to use a plastic card to get in the facility? If so, everyone is accounted for and if someone sneaked in, the survelliance would have caught it.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Didn't Yale Police state that the students have to use a plastic card to get in the facility? If so, everyone is accounted for and if someone sneaked in, the survelliance would have caught it.
unless it was someone who had access to the building... which to me, at this point, seems to make the most sense

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
It is amazing to me that 72 hours can go by, and Yale University can actually get away with the minimal information they are handing out. The last article out of there was 8 hours ago. If this was my daughter I would be LIVID!

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I cannot believe there has not been a presser!

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
What kind of crap does this VERY expensive university even think they can get away with this. Now if she disappeared in her car off campus, I could see. But Yale is really minimizing that the LAST known appearance was INSIDE their building...I hope Annie Le's family starts speaking out! Gosh this makes me grrrrr!

awakewriter
09-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Competitive environment, stress, pressure ... could be she knew someone else was falsifying data.

PMLsmom
09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know if the Astros have done a chart? I looked, but couldn't find one, if done. TIA

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
PMLsmom,
Soulscape was trying to verify the birthday... I think they may be working on it...

Harmony2
09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted.

video at link

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/yale-bride-annie-lee-vanishes-campus-fbi-investigating/story?id=8543442

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
The research center at 10 Amistad St. where Annie Le MED '13 was last seen continues to be the center of activity for law enforcement officials investigating her disappearance.
As FBI agents repeatedly combed the corridors in the building’s basement, Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith, who oversees campus security operations, hosted a meeting for the building's occupants at about 2 p.m. today, updating them on the investigation and informing them of new security precautions in the facility.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/11/investigators-search-basement-10-amistad-st/

The building is the center of the investigation it would seem!

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted.

video at link

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/yale-bride-annie-lee-vanishes-campus-fbi-investigating/story?id=8543442

Thanks, H2 and also Beeme for the Astro thread request on Annie.

This quote, "Annie Le' Co-Worker: 'We're Not Going to Look at the Worst Here'. Is weird, underplaying, and suggests that Annie got cold feet here. No wonder its being down played.

Looking foward to seeing what the Astro's say.:)

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Lorimer told the Yale Daily News that Le worked in the Sterling Hall of Medicine on Tuesday morning and then left about 10 a.m. to walk to 10 Amistad St., three blocks away. Le left her purse containing her cellphone, credit cards and money in her office at Sterling but used her Yale ID card to get into 10 Amistad St., Lorimer told the newspaper.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-web-yale-missing-0912sep11,0,5740959.story

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Apuzzo, an accountant in Yale's Department of Pharmacology, told CNN affiliate WFSB that Le was conscientious, energetic and "very excited" about getting married.
Contacted via e-mail by CNN, Apuzzo declined to comment, saying her superiors had
asked her to refer all media inquiries to the university's public affairs office.
She did, however, forward a letter sent by Yale University Police Chief James Perrotti to all faculty, students and staff.
The letter states Yale police, the FBI, Connecticut State Police and New Haven police are investigating Le's disappearance. Her friends, colleagues, family members and fiance are assisting police, the letter said.

like why am I not surprised at the lack of info being released to the media!

crocus
09-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I immediately thought of Hannah Upp, the Manhattan teacher whose disappearance led to a 19-day search, when this story first came out.

Anyone remember her case? It happened over Labor day last year, IIRC.

A Life Interrupted
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/nyregion/thecity/01miss.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

momtective
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

FWIW,

A comment was left by a friend at the link below saying that Annie was known to transport mice between her lab and the building she disappeared in. It's possible that she could be the target of an animal rights activist, but they aren't common around Yale.

Is it possible it was mice in a cage covered over with a blanket when she was seen on camera and not papers???

http://www.yaledailynews.com/crosscampus/2009/09/10/live-blog-updates-annie-les-disappearance/comments/

my bold of Sarah's quote
Thank you for this info Sarahhod, it appears that everyone just blew right past your post. I see where it's been speculated it was a baby, papers, packages etc. Now we know it was probably specimen mice. The thought of animal rights activists is certainly worth entertaining.

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-web-yale-missing-0912sep11,0,5740959.story

If FBI left the building at 2pm today with no comment says to me they didn't find anything. Why did Annie leave all personal effects at the lab before entering the building?
I gather all cell phone calls have been traced....and why was it noted that Annie did not fill "safe" at Yale. Was there a Yale Professor stalker? Annie was a teacher assistant, I am going to go back and see who she taught class with.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
http://www.yaledailynews.com/opinion/letters/2009/09/11/letter-animals-deserve-our-respect/

okay..

someone spank me with the conspiracy theory stick puuulease..

but I DID FIND THIS KINDA CREEPY that it was submitted the day she went missing (check the date that is above the author's name which I respectfully will not post here)

eta: the publish day is today... the submit date was the 8th... tuesday....

crocus
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Family cancels planned wedding ceremony of missing Yale bride-to-be Annie Le

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/09/11/2009-09-11_family_cancels_planned_wedding_ceremony_of_miss ing_yale_bridetobe_annie_le.html#ixzz0QpdvDfr5

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
http://twitter.com/yaledailynews

yale daily news twitter feed

Connected or not? I'd say a gunman and missing person all in one week? WOW~

The search continues for Annie Le, who has been missing for 72 hours now. http://www.goydn.com/iBiGI (http://www.goydn.com/iBiGI)about 5 hours ago (http://twitter.com/yaledailynews/status/3913688883) from web
Police arrest gunman; ex-employee may have been targeting HR office, Yale officials say. Read more: http://www.goydn.com/CAiGI (http://www.goydn.com/CAiGI)about 18 hours ago (http://twitter.com/yaledailynews/status/3902651940) from web

TexasLil
09-11-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.yaledailynews.com/opinion/letters/2009/09/11/letter-animals-deserve-our-respect/

okay..

but I DID FIND THIS KINDA CREEPY that it was submitted the day she went missing (check the date that is above the author's name which I respectfully will not post here)

Creepy, I agree! May deserve some looking into!

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM

okay..

Okay, I took this one step further and could possibly be why Annie Le was scared. These research scientists all talk. Maybe why the secrecy.
Yale Daily News - The Nation's Oldest College Daily (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Kjq7I_t6pKC1wANeMPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTExZW1jOHI wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA3NwMQR2dGlkAwRsA1dTMQ--/SIG=124etuqe1/EXP=1252788415/**http%3A//www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/28224)
Because Yale is such a large animal research facility, the University has " ... and her associates at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) want ...

crocus
09-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Okay, I took this one step further and could possibly be why Annie Le was scared. These research scientists all talk. Maybe why the secrecy.
Yale Daily News - The Nation's Oldest College Daily (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Kjq7I_t6pKC1wANeMPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTExZW1jOHI wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA3NwMQR2dGlkAwRsA1dTMQ--/SIG=124etuqe1/EXP=1252788415/**http%3A//www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/28224)
Because Yale is such a large animal research facility, the University has " ... and her associates at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) want ...

From your link:

“I’m sorry, but given the recent PETA attacks on campus, I don’t feel comfortable talking about my research in a newspaper.

:eek:

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 05:01 PM
By mid-afternoon Friday officials reported no new leads. That left people continuing to wonder, with no facts to support either thesis, whether Le’s mysterious disappearance had to do with her upcoming wedding or whether it was foul play.
The latter scenario has already produced some unwelcome national publicity for New Haven at a time when crime has dropped 10 percent (http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/08/crime_drops_10.php) over last year. It creates ominous echoes of the still-unsolved 1998 murder of Yale undergraduate Suzanne Jovin (http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2007/11/jovin_case_reop_1.php) and the 1991 murder of undergraduate Christian Prince (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Prince). Murders — or mysterious disappearances — of Yale students have a way of doing that.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/09/post_478.php

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Investigators searching for a Yale University graduate student who disappeared days before her wedding were reviewing security-camera footage, checking building blueprints and examining her computer, a Yale spokesman said Friday.
More than 100 local, state and federal law enforcement personnel were involved in the investigation into Tuesday's disappearance of Annie Le, said Yale spokesman Tom Conroy.
Investigators were reviewing footage from some 75 cameras on and around the building where Le was last spotted, Conroy said. So far, they have not seen footage of her leaving the building, he said.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h6BgLZZw8rBEvL5ha3Py_mIyoRiQD9ALBA884

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Le was reportedly very excited about the wedding. “Jonathan wanted very much to get married, but she was the major driving force in the wedding,” said Kramer. “The fact that this happened just before their planned wedding, the timing is incredibly cruel.”

http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/yale_student_missing_before_her_wedding_0911093334 6363/

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Annie could have had many enemies just because of what she did and where she did it:

1. PETA - those for the ethical treatment of animals - they have the capacity to become violent, as some of their past deeds demonstrate

2. those against 'stem cell research' can be violent as shown by the past

3. Fellow Ph.D. researchers - research is incredibly competitive - it is their future - the findings can bring fame and be an ultimate gift to society

4. Fellow Medical Students - the right research can bring notoriety, as well as be the ultimate gift to society

All of the above would have a motive - right? Not sure about opportunity??

Then we have people who work in the labs; people who clean, order supplies, maintenance etc., what would their motive be? Everything written about Annie says she got along with everyone...happy, robust, energetic, and kind.

Seems to me whomever did this to Annie had to know the building extremely well. EVERY exit is covered by a video camera (have read this many times). Annie was seen going in the building and has a documented card swipe.

What I don't know is how a nearby perp (sex offender) would get into the building - how would he do that? Who has been missed - anybody? just rambling

KR2tonenow
09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Unless he was a fellow research student, Professor etc. Glad to see more information coming out today. This is indeed a mystery.

Wikisleuth
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Seems like everyone on here has covered all the angles. Headline News was interviewing some people who's names we have already discussed but no new information came out.

Here is a link (http://rushprnews.com/posts/userposts/1239/1/Ian%20Smith)to some other PETA articles written by the person who submitted the Animal Rights letter to the Yale Daily News. No disrespect to the author for linking, but since people suggested the lead I thought pertinent to post.

I guess we'll have to wait until thorough background checks are done of everyone who had access to that building - students, teachers and maintenance staff included.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 05:46 PM
NEW HAVEN - Federal investigators called in more than a dozen state police detectives Friday to help conduct interviews of people known to be in the research building that missing Yale student Annie Le was last seen entering on Tuesday morning.

Authorities have been unable to find any evidence on surveillance tapes that the 24-year-old graduate student, who was to be married this weekend, left the building that day, sources said.

They are now going through the slow process of interviewing everyone they believe was in the building after 10 a.m. to see if anyone saw her or anything suspicious.

As a fourth day passed with no sign of Le, sources said investigators are leaning away from the theory that she is a bride with cold feet and more toward the possibility she is the victim of a violent crime.

Yale University Chief of Police James A. Perrotti announced Friday evening that the University is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to Le's whereabouts.

http://www.courant.com/news/breaking/hc-missing-yale-student-investigation-0911,0,3954287.story

crocus
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I know they reported that the alarm that went off was determined to be a malfunction, but I wonder if this is in fact true or is it what they are saying at this point so as not to heighten fear.

The PETA angle is plausible, IMO. The more I read about PETA and Yale researches, whew!

google Professor Marina Picciotto from Yale and PETA

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2009/09/11/crimesider/photoessay5303665.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBod y

photos of Annie and her fiance'

sarahsgsr
09-11-2009, 05:51 PM

I work for the University of California in Berkeley, and although it is probably different at Yale, I thought I might be able to shed a little light on this subject.

Most of the common buildings, buildings where classes are held are unlocked all day or until 6pm or 7pm whenever the last classes take place. After that, you need a key card to enter the buildings. As for the labs here on my campus, common labs are sometimes unlocked during the day, but certain labs require key card access or you have to knock on the door to have someone let you in.

Hope that shed a little light, I wish we could learn the rules or practices of Yale though.

crocus
09-11-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2009/09/11/crimesider/photoessay5303665.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBod y

photos of Annie and her fiance'

Thanks nursebeeme

She has a great smile and she is so petite! Ugghh, I am thinking she would be easy to overcome if attacked.

How many people were in that building at the same time? They said they were going over the footage from the cameras frame by frame looking for her. That leads me to believe there must have been a lot of people on that footage.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I hear ya crocus! There certainly were a lot of cameras on and around the lab building! One link I posted upstream said 75!

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 06:27 PM
~IF she were carrying mice... I wonder if there is a certain place in the building where they keep all of the animals and where it is in relation to her lab space....

~given the PETA issues/security needed for lab animals I would think they would be in a locked area thusly perhaps where she keyed in? Just a thought

crocus
09-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, here's a question. Where does this department usually get their mice, or for that matter, any of the animals they use? Do they breed them? Order them from somewhere?

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 06:47 PM
~IF she were carrying mice... I wonder if there is a certain place in the building where they keep all of the animals and where it is in relation to her lab space....

~given the PETA issues/security needed for lab animals I would think they would be in a locked area thusly perhaps where she keyed in? Just a thought

I would be surprised if she was carrying the lab animals involved in her research, especially on a walk outside. Once they are contaminated, so is the research. Annie's dissertation topic is proteins involved in metabolic disease - in particular, diabetes. Can't figure out why she would expose her lab animals to unknowns.

bogeygal
09-11-2009, 06:51 PM
http://wcbstv.com/local/yale.annie.le.2.1178790.html

Missing Yale Student Probe Focuses on Her Computer

littleangel
09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=725615990&ref=search&sid=1565010167.3289629519..1
This link is supposed to be her face book im imagining, but its gone if it is.
Why would someone do that , It doesnt make sense...unless it was LE , and I cant imagine them taking it down. Or it could have been someone with access to her account and maybe knows shes not going to be using it anymore :((
I mean she hasnt been missing long enough for anyone to just start wiping her existence away....

Knox
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Tuba posted the chart on Annie, not good news,

amysmom
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

FWIW,

#2 By A Friend 11:18p.m. on September 10, 2009
She works on phosphotases in Anton Bennetts lab. She is known to transport mice between her lab and the building she disappeared in. It's possible that she could be the target of an animal rights activist, but they aren't common around Yale.

But her lab was in the building she disappeared in so what is this friend talking about? :confused:

truecrimejunkie
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, here's a question. Where does this department usually get their mice, or for that matter, any of the animals they use? Do they breed them? Order them from somewhere?

I used to work in a medical school in a major US city. We had to have ID to show the security guards at every entrance to the bldg. The security guards were on duty 24/7.

We would order mice and other small rodents from companies that specifically breed them for research purposes. Other animals would come from the humane society that were going to be euthanized.

truecrimejunkie
09-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I would be surprised if she was carrying the lab animals involved in her research, especially on a walk outside. Once they are contaminated, so is the research. Annie's dissertation topic is proteins involved in metabolic disease - in particular, diabetes. Can't figure out why she would expose her lab animals to unknowns.

I agree, I cant imagine why she would be removing animals from the lab.

amysmom
09-11-2009, 07:23 PM

:(

Link please?

crocus
09-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Knox....can you translate it for me? I did see that the alarm plays a part. (I thought so!)

The link for anyone wanting to read it:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79041&page=11

panthera
09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Annie's disappearance is being discussed on Nancy Grace's show now. :)

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 08:25 PM
SuziQ, it is interesting that you should mention that, as I too have felt there is something odd with all the scientists going missing. Even the computer scientists, such as Jim Grey. Very odd!

Don Wiley

Margie Profet

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
True, and a lousy $10,000 reward too!

What kind of crap does this VERY expensive university even think they can get away with this. Now if she disappeared in her car off campus, I could see. But Yale is really minimizing that the LAST known appearance was INSIDE their building...I hope Annie Le's family starts speaking out! Gosh this makes me grrrrr!

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
From what I understood from prior posts, she worked in two different labs.
She works on phosphotases in Anton Bennetts lab. She is known to transport mice between her lab and the building she disappeared in. It's possible that she could be the target of an animal rights activist, but they aren't common around Yale.

But her lab was in the building she disappeared in so what is this friend talking about? :confused:

Julessleuther
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I wonder if she had any medical conditions, such as diabetes where she could have gone into a diabetic coma or something?

passionflower
09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
2 things that stick in my mind is that she studied pharmaceuticals and medical
on animals.........motive.......drugs or animal activist?

passionflower
09-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Tuba is great at her charts! So far always correct in the past.
What a shame.........I pray LE finds her fast!
hope LE reads about Annie at ground level and contained.
closet??? ductwork??
Also the alarm being a false alarm, someone wanted the building cleared..........so perhaps they could hide Annie????
Thanks TUBA

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Studying phosphotases would likely be key to her dissertation...Especially in the development of anti-diabetic drugs, maybe she was in labs for classes but for her research, she would be in one.

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Tuba is great at her charts! So far always correct in the past.
What a shame.........I pray LE finds her fast!
hope LE reads about Annie at ground level and contained.
closet??? ductwork??
Also the alarm being a false alarm, someone wanted the building cleared..........so perhaps they could hide Annie????
Thanks TUBA

Can't beat 100% accuracy! :clap:

If a person pulled the fire alarm intentionally - we must be talking about a brilliant person! They think excess steam was being emitted from a laboratory thus causing the alarm to go off. If this is the case, or it was disguised to look like such, we are dealing with a perp who timed it perfectly, knows where labs and fire alarms are. I would think the person involved is highly intelligent and familiar with the building.

KivaSupporter
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Breaking news on Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell:

Two cadaver dogs were just brought into the building Annie had entered and was not seen leaving.

panthera
09-11-2009, 09:31 PM
2 things that stick in my mind is that she studied pharmaceuticals and medical
on animals.........motive.......drugs or animal activist?
I'm more inclined to think it's the pharmaceuticals unless she'd been seen transporting live animals into the lab. MOO

KaylynnCouture
09-11-2009, 09:31 PM
From the Nancy Grace show tonight...

"An officer said it may be impossible to pick up a scent after 72 hours" Also, it's raining there, which may also cause the scent to diminish.

Also, the dogs "look like German Shepards and bloodhounds." They are currently searching the lab building.

LE got ahold of blueprints to search the entire lab building. It's 120,000 square feet. There are over 75 cameras on the building, as well as several cameras on adjacent buildings that LE is looking at as well. The building is 4 stories.

According to a reporter, LE doesn't think the fire alarm is related to the disappearance at this time.

There is an attached parking garage to the lab building that is 300,000 square feet and holds 1,000 cars.

The family has canceled the wedding that was set for this Sunday at the North Ritz Club in Long Island.

Her fiancee is a doctoral student at Columbia University working on his phD.

Annie wrote on her Facebook page days prior that she was so excited about the dress, the food, and the decorations at the wedding.

According to a reporter, Yale is saying it was steam in a lab that set off the fire alarm.

The Yale Daily news is saying they haven't heard anything from her family, or her fiancee, but they have heard from colleagues and friends and all are shocked.

TGIRecovered
09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
No disrespect intended. My apologies. I'll be sure to clarify my tone and follow thread protocol in future posts.

It would take a lot more than a dissenting point of view to offend me Wiki. Sometimes I enjoy expolring "the road less travelled"...makes it more fun if I turn out to be right!

I certainly don't wish harm on any potential victim; if someone has harmed Le I wouldn't want them to get away with it or hurt anyone else!

Susan

crocus
09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
OMG! 75 cameras! What were other people seen leaving the building with? Or holding? Or carrying? She is a very small woman, she could be subdued and placed into a ?????? and carted off without detection of others passing by in wake of the alarm.

mitzi
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM

I'm behind and reading at page 6, but looking at the pic, it could very well be a large book...maybe the PDR? (Physician's Desk Reference)

crocus
09-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm behind and reading at page 6, but looking at the pic, it could very well be a large book...maybe the PDR? (Physician's Desk Reference)

But her stance, the way she is holding it, made me think it was not just papers, but something more substantial and heavier.

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
But her stance, the way she is holding it, made me think it was not just papers, but something more substantial and heavier.

Seeing the picture on television, I also thought about the PDR or the big book Facts and Comparisons. Both are awkward to carry and it's darn hard to read either one while walking outside.

debirlfan
09-11-2009, 10:13 PM
If a person pulled the fire alarm intentionally - we must be talking about a brilliant person! They think excess steam was being emitted from a laboratory thus causing the alarm to go off. If this is the case, or it was disguised to look like such, we are dealing with a perp who timed it perfectly, knows where labs and fire alarms are. I would think the person involved is highly intelligent and familiar with the building.

Ok, a number of differing thoughts on this case...

Re the above. Excess steam tripped the alarm? Hmm, same thing happened at a hotel where I was staying last year - the football team also staying there apparently thought they could use the shower as a sauna, and when they opened the room door, it tripped the alarm.

My question would be - has this ever happened before at the lab? If so, especially if it had happened repeatedly in the past, the steam could have been generated intentionally knowing it would trip the alarm. That would indicate the individual who tripped it was very familiar with the building.

Some other things that have crossed my mind. The cell phone. It seems unlikely that a girl who was presumably doing all those last minute things with her wedding would leave her phone behind. However - is it possible that cell phones might not have been allowed in the lab? If so, that would explain it.

The animal testing and stem cell angles are definitely worth checking into. Also - could she have had access to any controlled drugs that someone might have attacked her to get?

I am not entirely convinced that there is no chance that she wanted to disappear. Could her parents have been pressuring her into marriage? I know there are some cultures where women are expected to marry - I'm uncertain what her precise heritage is, but could this be a factor?

Another possibility - I saw mentioned earlier that she was apparently the driving force behind the wedding? How might she have reacted if she found out the boyfriend had been unfaithful? Could she have felt embarrassed enough to take off?

crocus
09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Seeing the picture on television, I also thought about the PDR or the big book Facts and Comparisons. Both are awkward to carry and it's darn hard to read either one while walking outside.

I thought who carries papers kinda "cradled" in their arms like that? She definitely looked as though she was supporting some weight for whatever she was carrying.

Dogface
09-11-2009, 10:24 PM

Some other things that have crossed my mind. The cell phone. It seems unlikely that a girl who was presumably doing all those last minute things with her wedding would leave her phone behind. However - is it possible that cell phones might not have been allowed in the lab? If so, that would explain it.

Its definitely not kosher to have your phone on you in the lab, as most stuff requires aseptic technique, and phones are especially dirty, as well as the fact you do not want to contaminate your phone with chemicals/bugs that might be in the lab, since it is right by your face.

I know a lot of ppl make their office their home base, and run in between it and their lab all day.

After looking at the pic more, I think it looks like a flat object(book/scale?), underneath another object...

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Re the above. Excess steam tripped the alarm? Hmm, same thing happened at a hotel where I was staying last year - the football team also staying there apparently thought they could use the shower as a sauna, and when they opened the room door, it tripped the alarm.

My question would be - has this ever happened before at the lab? If so, especially if it had happened repeatedly in the past, the steam could have been generated intentionally knowing it would trip the alarm. That would indicate the individual who tripped it was very familiar with the building.

The animal testing and stem cell angles are definitely worth checking into. Also - could she have had access to any controlled drugs that someone might have attacked her to get?

I am not entirely convinced that there is no chance that she wanted to disappear. Could her parents have been pressuring her into marriage? I know there are some cultures where women are expected to marry - I'm uncertain what her precise heritage is, but could this be a factor?

Another possibility - I saw mentioned earlier that she was apparently the driving force behind the wedding? How might she have reacted if she found out the boyfriend had been unfaithful? Could she have felt embarrassed enough to take off?

Gosh, your points are great! The only one I can address is about access to controlled drugs...

topic for her dissertation: understanding how certain proteins are involved with metabolic diseases such as diabetes................

Unless her dissertation/research was addressing how pain medication or addictive drugs affect the proteins involved in metabolic disease, access to controlled substances wouldn't be necessary. And even if she was doing research on class II, III, or IV medications and how they affect metabolic disease - she would need to sign the drugs out of a locked cabinet or the drugs would be dispensed to her by an MD and accounted for. The drugs would either be missing and unaccounted for or her signature/MD sig would be there to cross reference. I'm not sure how Yale does their controlled substances for research. Your other points are all very probably and I just have no idea. I don't see Annie as the kind of person who plays games or tricks...but who knows for sure.

amysmom
09-11-2009, 10:35 PM

It has been reported numerous xs she left her office & went directly to the lab..That is where she left all her stuff (cell, $$$, etc) so I am still :confused:

ETA: Maybe we need to take a closer look at that post? Anton Bennetts lab..Is that the name of the lab she was last seen at or is it a diff lab? What exactly does friend/poster mean by her lab? Is her Annie or Anton Bennett IF that is a person? We dont really know by the way it was said but I am still sure Annie left her office & not a lab.

She works on phosphotases in Anton Bennetts lab. She is known to transport mice between her lab and the building she disappeared in

debirlfan
On the off chance that she did intend to disappear...

Could one of the things she was carrying have been a box containing a change of clothing? IF (and we do need to consider the possibility) she wanted to vanish, a logical plan would have been to enter the building wearing something bright and easily spotted on the cameras (like the green blouse), then change to something drab - maybe pin up or otherwise change her hair, rig the fire alarm, and exit with the crowd.

passionflower
Can't beat 100% accuracy! :clap:

YALE is known to have BRILLIANT people!!!

debirlfan
09-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Doesn't need to be a brilliant person if it's something that has happened before - especially if it has happened several times. Police need to check fire department records on that.

LinasK
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Ummm,no! Sorry, not in my book. Macy's is far more expensive than Kohl's. Macy's is where people primarily register, then you may supplement somewhere with cheaper items like Kohl's, but in my mind Kohl's is the equivalent of Mervyn's, Target...

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
It has been reported numerous xs she left her office & went directly to the lab..That is where she left all her stuff (cell, $$$, etc) so I am still :confused:

Annie was also a Teaching Assistant and taking classes. She could have left her personal items in her office where classes are held (bldg # 1) - and leave to do research in the research building (bldg #2). just a thought

eyes4crime
09-11-2009, 10:53 PM

I think Annie must be brilliant. There was discussion earlier about the perp being a sex offender from the community and if she was specifically targeted or just convenient target. If the steam was intentional so the alarm could be pulled as a diversion - my guess is that it's not a local sex offender. just a guess!

amysmom
09-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Annie was also a Teaching Assistant and taking classes. She could have left her personal items in her office where classes are held (bldg # 1) - and leave to do research in the research building (bldg #2). just a thought

See my EDITED post above but ITA it seems on that day this is what it seems she did do.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
((nurse ducks big time before even SAYING this)):

After reading the forensic astro post on her case by the wonderful Tuba I have to wonder if she didn't "do something drastic" (without coming out and using the 'S' word)... I know, I know.... I am expecting rotten fruit hurled at my head at any moment now... for anyone who wants to entertain the thought here is my post there (asking for some astro clarity) brb to link to that post:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Forensic Astrology - CASE BRIEFINGS only

Muffet
09-11-2009, 11:01 PM

It looked to me like she was shifting her weight and her "package" (whatever it was) in preparation to open/enter the doorway.

KaylynnCouture
09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
On the off chance that she did intend to disappear...

Could one of the things she was carrying have been a box containing a change of clothing? IF (and we do need to consider the possibility) she wanted to vanish, a logical plan would have been to enter the building wearing something bright and easily spotted on the cameras (like the green blouse), then change to something drab - maybe pin up or otherwise change her hair, rig the fire alarm, and exit with the crowd.

Yeah, I thought about that too actually. I think it's a good theory, but I'm not necessarily buying that that's what she did. It just seems like WAY too much work. If she wanted to disappear- why not just not go to the lab that day and disappear by fleeing New Haven? Why would she go into the lab, deal with having to disguise herself, pull the fire alarm, and then flee with the crowd- especially knowing there were cameras everywhere. I think if she wanted to disappear, she wouldn't have went to the lab. She would have just not came home and disappeared.

Muffet
09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
If it were only a marriage she would be escaping, I'd be more inclined to think she left. But she has sooo much invested in her education - I can't fathom her walking away at this point. :(

TGIRecovered
09-11-2009, 11:21 PM

After reading the forensic astro post on her case by the wonderful Tuba I have to wonder if she didn't "do something drastic" (without coming out and using the 'S' word)... I know, I know.... I am expecting rotten fruit hurled at my head at any moment now... for anyone who wants to entertain the thought here is my post there (asking for some astro clarity) brb to link to that post:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Forensic Astrology - CASE BRIEFINGS only (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4148470&postcount=263)

I don't delve into the astrology threads, but I did read the post you linked.

I wonder if she may have been avoiding someone...maybe someone makes a habit of 'running into" her between classes or on the way to lunch, realizes she may be dawdling in the lab; waiting for them to leave, so they set off the overly-sensitive alarm with steam in an effort to flush her out? ...or maybe they wanted to get rid of everyone else in order to get to her.

I've delt with overly-senstitve smoke alarms in the past. Unless this alarm was recently installed, if it was the steam that triggered it, this has probably happened before. Anyone working in the vicinity of the alarm would know how to "accidentally" set it off without much effort.

amysmom
09-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Forensic Astrology - CASE BRIEFINGS only (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4148470&postcount=263)

Anything is possible so no rotten fruit :)

I think her hiding when the alarm (intentionally) went off is what we should focus on..What would make her do that? :waitasec:

truecrimejunkie
09-11-2009, 11:27 PM
It sure seems she had a lot on her plate. classes, thesis, T.A., hebrew lessons, wedding to plan. Was there any mention of a honeymoon? I wonder why they planned the wedding at the start of a new semester while both of them are still in school.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:36 PM
mom of amy,
I am thinking someone hid her or she hid herself... If you have read Tuba's charts in the past she has been spot on... I am anxiously awaiting what she has to say per my questions.

And thanks for not throwing rotten fruit :-) I felt really bad even bringing up that possibility... but it sadly must be considered... suicide (hate even saying it) is not uncommon with high achievers/perfectionists in stressful situations.

Does anyone remember the UGA prof that shot his wife and went missing? He killed himself but HID his own self... it took LE weeks to find him. After reading the astro chart it just sent me that sort of vibe... but then again I am new to forensic astrology and could be reading it all wrong... that is why I posted those questions for further insight. I am sorry if it offended anyone here. This is a beautiful, smart, vivacious young woman who is not where she is supposed to be right now. She has loved ones desperately waiting on her to come home. What ever has transpired has transpired... and I am just throwing some thoughts out there for discussion.

eta: tuba has clarified as per my post on the fa thread: see below

Spyglass
09-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Forgive me if this is indelicate, but do large lab buildings use incinerators for animals.

nursebeeme
09-11-2009, 11:49 PM
post by Tuba cut and pasted from case thread/forensic astrology
You are welcome. No, it is NOT Annie who was hiding. Annie is Venus. Mercury is someone else and that person was hiding. The person is unbelievably immature. Mercury is convertible, i.e. can be either male or female, however in Libra a masculine Sign, probably male. Please note I did not state that Annie was hiding.

I should add that if the incident (assuming there was one) occurred later, there is no reason to believe she is in the building.

No matter how we look at this, someone else is responsible for her not being where she is supposed to be.

You are wise to fasten on Uranus in House 5. Looking ahead to a committed relationship like marriage, afflicted Uranus there is nothing but trouble. It could represent someone who thought he had a chance with her & her impending vows convinced him otherwise.

thank you again Tuba!

Okay... so someone most likely male who is "incredibly immature" and thought he had a chance with her and the the upcoming wedding made him (or her) act.

For more check out Tuba's initial post on this case in the forensic astro thread under case briefings.

She has been on the money so many times it makes my head spin.

eyes4crime
09-12-2009, 12:02 AM
thank you again Tuba!

Okay... so someone most likely male who is "incredibly immature" and thought he had a chance with her and the the upcoming wedding made him (or her) act.

For more check out Tuba's initial post on this case in the forensic astro thread under case briefings.

the upcoming wedding has been planned for over a year - does Tuba think the person just now realized she wasn't going to call it off? Is this a person she was having an affair with? Could this be why she was so clear on her facebook about how happy and in love she is with her best friend! Wonder if Tuba thinks this person is a fellow Doctoral student, professor, or a student in the classes she TA's?

TonyGatto
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Sorry folks -- just joining in on this. DId she leave her purse and phone back at her office or in the lab? I've heard both. Thanks. As for the pic. She is putting most of the weight on her right hand and she is holding whatever it is up high...so I think it's worth thinking about something living or at least something important in her hands. even when you hold a pizza or a birthday cake (not making light) you hold it up close because you can better protect it near your chest rather than below your waist. but a stack of papers or books you would just let hang down low.

SuziQ
09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-yale-missing-0912.artsep11,0,4181908.story?page=2

(snip)
Le just began her third year as a doctoral student in pharmacology and was working on an eight-member lab team led by Professor Anton Bennett.

There are at least three students on Bennett's team, and those reached by The Courant on Friday declined to answer questions about Le or whether team members saw her on Tuesday morning in the building.

Sources said that every entrance and exit to the research lab is monitored by cameras, and that one of those cameras caught her walking in Tuesday morning as an unidentified student held the door.

eyes4crime
09-12-2009, 12:23 AM
http://www.courant.com/community/new-haven/hc-yale-missing-0912.artsep11,0,4181908.story?page=2

(snip)
Le just began her third year as a doctoral student in pharmacology and was working on an eight-member lab team led by Professor Anton Bennett.

There are at least three students on Bennett's team, and those reached by The Courant on Friday declined to answer questions about Le or whether team members saw her on Tuesday morning in the building.

Sources said that every entrance and exit to the research lab is monitored by cameras, and that one of those cameras caught her walking in Tuesday morning as an unidentified student held the door.

I'm pretty sure family, roommates, fellow researchers, and professors, have been told by the FBI and or LE not to talk to the press. I've seen that written in several articles. Looks like Yale doesn't want any bad publicity especially since they didn't notify the campus for 3 days!!!! Yale should be ashamed of themselves.

Knox
09-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I wonder about the Professor, given Tuba's statement about being immature? Does anyone know whether he was present at the lab that day?

SuziQ
09-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm pretty sure family, roommates, fellow researchers, and professors, have been told by the FBI and or LE not to talk to the press. I've seen that written in several articles. Looks like Yale doesn't want any bad publicity especially since they didn't notify the campus for 3 days!!!! Yale should be ashamed of themselves.

And where are the students raising funds to increase the reward? Where are the candlelight memorials and student support? Admin and student reaction seems a bit understated considering the situation. It's like the alarm bells aren't going off like we are used to seeing.

nursebeeme
09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
one article I linked here **somewhere** LOL... stated that everything released to the media had to FIRST go thru the campus Public Affairs office!

Let me go and find the link to the other unsolved missing persons from Yale... I guess they have the heebie jeebies... hmmmmm

KaylynnCouture
09-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Sorry folks -- just joining in on this. DId she leave her purse and phone back at her office or in the lab? I've heard both. Thanks. As for the pic. She is putting most of the weight on her right hand and she is holding whatever it is up high...so I think it's worth thinking about something living or at least something important in her hands. even when you hold a pizza or a birthday cake (not making light) you hold it up close because you can better protect it near your chest rather than below your waist. but a stack of papers or books you would just let hang down low.

I totally agree with your analysis of the picture.

As far as the belongings issue, I think they were in her office.

eyes4crime
09-12-2009, 12:37 AM
I wonder about the Professor, given Tuba's statement about being immature? Does anyone know whether he was present at the lab that day?

Looks like we aren't privy to that information...noone is giving information out. Here is the Professor's home research pages. He has Postdoc Fellows, Doctoral Students...click on the different categories for info.

http://info.med.yale.edu/pharm/bennett/

nursebeeme
09-12-2009, 12:38 AM
And where are the students raising funds to increase the reward? Where are the candlelight memorials and student support? Admin and student reaction seems a bit understated considering the situation. It's like the alarm bells aren't going off like we are used to seeing.
no crap Q!

Here are links to the other unsolved Yale student murders and disappearances:

here is my initial post with the names:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CT- Annie Le, 24, Yale Student, Missing 9/8/09

suzanne jovin: (more info on the case) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Jovin_case
christian prince: (more info on the case) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Prince

not to say the cases are related.... but perhaps why the PA office is playing the tight lipped intermediary~hopefully not to the detriment of this case!

TravelingBug
09-12-2009, 12:40 AM

I know we've got places where the key card or thob things are quite a distance off to the side, or even a few feet before the door, where you here it click and a little green light turn on showing it's open, so maybe there's something funky like we've got in places with a lot of glass out front, as well? :waitasec:

ETA, in the midwest, at my university, we also had several key card buildings where there were exterior doors that opened into an interior set of doors which were the 'carded' ones. There was a phone there, as well, in some of the buildings, if you needed to be buzzed in, or something, but because of weather, they had the 'carded' doors as interior. That might be another possibility, that just a few feet inside that door we see the other girl opening, there would be another actually locked door? Maybe...?

nursebeeme
09-12-2009, 12:43 AM
I totally agree with your analysis of the picture.

As far as the belongings issue, I think they were in her office. at this point ITA... they were left in her office in the Sterling medical building... three blocks away from 10 Amistad.

The fact that she left all of those personal items behind tells me she was on a quick trip to the lab to drop something off.

I bet she planned on making it back to Sterling in time to go get her things and go eat lunch....
moo of course

nursebeeme
09-12-2009, 12:45 AM
And where are the students raising funds to increase the reward? Where are the candlelight memorials and student support? Admin and student reaction seems a bit understated considering the situation. It's like the alarm bells aren't going off like we are used to seeing. AMEN! I went to Kent State and we STILL light candles for the May 4th, 1970 shootings! Where ARE the students with their collegiate hope and candles? :confused: ETA: where are her parents and where is her fiance'? If she might have been kidnapped why no pleas for her safe return? Same goes for collegues, students of her TA class, etc? Is the PA office of Yale THAT controlling????? I don't see them controlling an entire student body??????

TGIRecovered
09-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Forgive me if this is indelicate, but do large lab buildings use incinerators for animals.

It's hard to be delicate when exploring possibilities in a missing person case, Spyglass!

Since she is known to have entered the building but there is no record of her exit on the security tapes, I am surprized that the search by the cadaver dog didn't turn up anything. Surely, if she were alive and in the building, they would have found her by now. So, if there is no body and she is not hidden in the building and she is not on the exit tapes, it makes sense to consider the possibility that a body was destroyed by some method available inside the building.

There is also the possibility that the person who took her could have tampered with a security camera in order to get her out undetected. I am still a bit suspicious of the campus police. According to the article Le wrote in the Feb. 2009 edition of the school paper, crime is much higher on the Yale campus than at other comparable schools and area communities. Doesn't sound to me like the Cheif is doing such a good job keeping the students safe!

Knox
09-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks like we aren't privy to that information...noone is giving information out. Here is the Professor's home research pages. He has Postdoc Fellows, Doctoral Students...click on the different categories for info.

http://info.med.yale.edu/pharm/bennett/

Very youthful looking AP. What about the former lab members listed here ...

http://info.med.yale.edu/pharm/bennett/labmembers.htm

amysmom
09-12-2009, 12:53 AM
thank you again Tuba!

Tuba:
No matter how we look at this, someone else is responsible for her not being where she is supposed to be.

That is all I need to know! On the JVM repeat just now they talked about how often women are stalked on campus..It sounds like that kind of scenario to me :(

TonyGatto
09-12-2009, 12:53 AM
I blew the photo up and the object appears to be something without a definite shape...like a bag. It is not rigid and doesn't have sides. She is cradling it in her right arm -- which some suggest may be to free her hand to open the door.