PDA

View Full Version : Stephen P. Wolf MD arrested in connection with the death of his 9yo son (OKL)

Pages : 1 [2]

MomofBoys
12-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Prozac made me out of my mind with thoughts of suicide. Just driving down the road I'd look for things to drive into- trees, poles, the ocean. I resisted- I knew it was not a viable option but I also stopped bringing my child in the car with me... just in case. I have always had suicidal ideations, so I don't blame the medicine for my thoughts but I do think it enhanced the issue.

Several years back my husband had an incredibly stressful job and grew depressed. It was the only time he ever went on medication, and the doctor gave him Prozac. He never mentioned suicidal thoughts, but it absolutely skewered his outlook on things. He could be sitting there watching a sitcom and tears would be streaming down his face and he wouldn't know why! He said it was bizarre and scary. It's like his body was desperate to express emotion and his brain was confused.

I've been on Lexapro before for acute anxiety and the resulting depression, and haven't had those issues. The only thing that ever freaked me out was Ambien.

I'm not usually a fan of the "Drug Did It" defense, but there are some crimes where the insanity or the addled-ness seems so incredibly obvious. Like the woman who dismembered and ate part of her infant. I'm always at war with myself. I want them executed, really, so they can never reproduce or harm another child. At the same time, you just know that they were suffering from extreme mental illness. Either way, they should never see the light of day again. Mental illness is a viable defense with some cases, but all that should mean, if they're guilty, is that they should be incarcerated in a facility equipped to deal with them. I don't think people like this can be trusted on the streets again.

wfgodot
01-15-2010, 08:45 AM
"The Nichols Hills doctor accused of fatally stabbing his 9-year-old son said he has hallucinated since his arrest about seeing his dead boy and about seeing a 'little devil,' a state psychologist has reported."

Lengthy new article from the Daily Oklahoman:

http://newsok.com/report-details-nichols-hills-doctors-mental-health-remorse/article/3432251?custom_click=lead_story_title

Missizzy
01-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I have to say that Dr. Wolf's description of Bipolar (off meds) is right on. I have three adult sons who have sudden onset Bipolar I, Bipolar II Rapid Cycling, and Bipolar with Mixed State. All had their onsets at age 28, not far off when it sounds as if Dr. Wolf started having problems.

I've personally witnessed every behavior (other than murder) Dr. Wolf described. It's terrifying to watch a loving, bright person turn into a monster before your very eyes. My heart breaks for his wife, Mary, as she surely knew he was on shaky ground. The mania and grandiosity wear family members out. You really get to the point of compassion fatigue. And people with bipolar desperately need their families and friends.

I know, in my heart, that Dr. Wolf must have terrible remorse. No one goes off their meds really "by choice". The euphoria and the grandiosity are horrible tricksters. They make the person feel as it they are not only well but that they are fabulous.

It's similar to when a healthy person takes a headache medication. If the headache goes away and your head feels normal (or even blissfully pain-free...in comparison to how it felt an hour ago), you are not likely to take another pill. The pain is gone.

With bipolar, when you stop your meds, mania sets in and mania feels wonderful. You can do anything, need no sleep, you feel creative and feerless, you can have sex with anyone. Food tastes better, the very air on your skin feels divine--you can fly. Why would you want to take that pill that dulls everything? That's how I've had it explained to me by my sons. I don't think any of us without bipolar or loving someone with bipolar can really understand the challenge of staying on those drugs.

The moral of this story is that we need to develop medications that can be consistently delivered...similar to an insulin pump or an implant IMO. A book that really helped me understand the importance of consistent medication is "What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One" by Judy Eron. I can't recommend it highly enough.

wfgodot
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Nichols Hills doctor Stephen Wolf ruled competent to stand trial in son's death

http://newsok.com/nichols-hills-doctor-competent-to-stand-trial-judge-rules/article/3433157?custom_click=lead_story_title

OneLostGrl
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
I think his illness is legit. So sad for all involved.

Sheromom
01-20-2010, 04:49 AM
I don't know what to think about this one. I'd like to hear something from his wife; though I am sure she is still too traumatized to say much of anything. I would think, though, that she would have the best idea as to whether or not this was done intentionally or as a result of psychological illness.

tapu
01-20-2010, 05:13 AM
I have to say that Dr. Wolf's description of Bipolar (off meds) is right on. I have three adult sons who have sudden onset Bipolar I, Bipolar II Rapid Cycling, and Bipolar with Mixed State. All had their onsets at age 28, not far off when it sounds as if Dr. Wolf started having problems.

I've personally witnessed every behavior (other than murder) Dr. Wolf described. It's terrifying to watch a loving, bright person turn into a monster before your very eyes. My heart breaks for his wife, Mary, as she surely knew he was on shaky ground. The mania and grandiosity wear family members out. You really get to the point of compassion fatigue. And people with bipolar desperately need their families and friends.

I know, in my heart, that Dr. Wolf must have terrible remorse. No one goes off their meds really "by choice". The euphoria and the grandiosity are horrible tricksters. They make the person feel as it they are not only well but that they are fabulous.

It's similar to when a healthy person takes a headache medication. If the headache goes away and your head feels normal (or even blissfully pain-free...in comparison to how it felt an hour ago), you are not likely to take another pill. The pain is gone.

With bipolar, when you stop your meds, mania sets in and mania feels wonderful. You can do anything, need no sleep, you feel creative and feerless, you can have sex with anyone. Food tastes better, the very air on your skin feels divine--you can fly. Why would you want to take that pill that dulls everything? That's how I've had it explained to me by my sons. I don't think any of us without bipolar or loving someone with bipolar can really understand the challenge of staying on those drugs.

The moral of this story is that we need to develop medications that can be consistently delivered...similar to an insulin pump or an implant IMO. A book that really helped me understand the importance of consistent medication is "What Goes Up: Surviving the Manic Episode of a Loved One" by Judy Eron. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Wow. That's one of the best things I've ever read on the Internet. Good job!

wfgodot
01-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Murder case resumes against Nichols Hills physician
Courts: psychologist says that father may wail during trial in 9-year-old’s death

http://newsok.com/murder-case-resumes-against-nichols-hills-physician/article/3433322?custom_click=lead_story_title

sindydee
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi All

I noticed this today..........

http://www.koco.com/news/23178368/detail.html

Belinda
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for June 4 for a suburban Oklahoma City doctor charged in the stabbing death of his 9-year-old son.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12324594

cook78
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Doctor waives preliminary hearing...

http://newsok.com/nichols-hill-doctor-waives-preliminary-hearing-in-case-of-sons-murder/multimedia/video/97158444001

wfgodot
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Nichols Hills doctor not guilty of first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of son on the ground of insanity (http://newsok.com/judge-rules-nichols-hills-doctor-not-guilty-of-first-degree-murder-in-sons-fatal-stabbing/article/3573899?custom_click=lead_story_title)

The Nichols Hills physician who fatally stabbed his 9-year-old son was acquitted Friday of first-degree murder on the ground of insanity.

Dr. Stephen Paul Wolf, 52, was ordered sent to a state mental hospital.

Oklahoma County District Judge Don Deason agreed to the outcome Friday after reviewing expert reports. Wolf cannot be released from the hospital unless the judge approves it.
---
Wolf has battled mental issues for years, according to the reports and other records.
more, with video, at newsok.com link above

Missizzy
06-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Oh my, it's been such a tragic case. A loss of a child and a man's and woman's lives in ruins. All because of a tremendously hard to treat mental illness. I have a son with Bipolar 1, Mixed State and it's a hard hard diagnosis for the sufferer and the family. You can never let down your guard, never fully trust, never believe. Medication and therapy only work some of the time. And the sad thing is that the sufferers are often generous, kind, and bright people....when the monkey's not on their back.

My heart goes out to Mary, the child's mother. May she find some peace. And I can't help but have pity on the father. His body was present at the murder but his mind was not. I believe he loved his son.

Shelby2
06-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh my, it's been such a tragic case. A loss of a child and a man's and woman's lives in ruins. All because of a tremendously hard to treat mental illness. I have a son with Bipolar 1, Mixed State and it's a hard hard diagnosis for the sufferer and the family. You can never let down your guard, never fully trust, never believe. Medication and therapy only work some of the time. And the sad thing is that the sufferers are often generous, kind, and bright people....when the monkey's not on their back.

My heart goes out to Mary, the child's mother. May she find some peace. And I can't help but have pity on the father. His body was present at the murder but his mind was not. I believe he loved his son.

My daughter also has Bipolar Disorder. It is a very difficult illness to treat-as the depression must be treated with antidepressants, which can make the mania worse. It's very hard to find the right combination of meds-when you change one, sometimes you have to change them all, waiting weeks to see if the med will work or not.
I feel really bad for this family, all of them, very tragic.
I think he really did love his wife and son.

wfgodot
07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Uh-oh.

Limited release proposed for Nichols Hills doctor who killed his son (http://newsok.com/limited-release-proposed-for-nichols-hills-doctor-who-killed-son/article/3588506?custom_click=lead_story_title)

A top psychologist at a state mental hospital has recommended conditional release for the Nichols Hills physician who fatally stabbed his 9-year-old son.
---
Oklahoma County District Judge Don Deason is not expected to approve [Dr. Stephen] Wolf's release. Still, prosecutors are furious with the recommendation by Samina R. Christopher, the director of forensic psychology at the Oklahoma Forensic Center.
---
“Dr. Wolf objectively responds favorably to medication and currently acknowledges his mental illness. Therefore, Dr. Wolf is considered not presently dangerous due to mental illness but in need of continued supervision due to a history of treatment noncompliance. Therefore, conditional release is recommended,” [Samina R. Christopher, the director of forensic psychology at the Oklahoma Forensic Center] wrote.
---
“I was totally delusional when I killed my son,” he is quoted as saying. “I was thinking that Tommy was evil, that he would do bad things in his life, and I was feeling evil myself and I started thinking if I'm evil, my son must be evil. … I just don't think there'll be a day I'll be happy ever again. … I feel terrible ... I was really sick and, if I think of that, I'm easier on myself than otherwise. I miss Tommy so much.
---
(much more plus video at Sunday Oklahoman link above)
--

Thoughts?

CocoChanel
07-24-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd want to know the details of "conditional release", but oh my, this does not seem appropriate at all.

MsFacetious
07-25-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm not surprised. Unfortunately it's happened before and it'll happen again.
Every time there is a successful insanity defense I flashback to Lisa and I cringe.
I did the same in this case when it happened.

This guy is in need of supervision because of a history of treatment non-compliance??
He's not a danger on his meds, but doesn't always comply with taking them.
I'm sorry... but 1+1=2 and that means you stay where you are safe if you quit taking your meds. :twocents:

I understand that if you are legally insane you can be treated... but what about justice?

What about the 3 and 5 year old girls who were drowned by their own mother?
The 9 year old boy who was stabbed to death by his own father?

3 years for killing two little girls... that's good enough because now Mommy is on meds?

Somehow... that just doesn't seem fair to me.

November 10, 2006

A Collin County judge has ruled that a woman who drowned her two children in September 2003 is now mentally stable and should be released from a state hospital.

Lisa Ann Diaz drowned her 3- and 5-year-old daughters by holding their heads under water in the bathtub of their Plano home.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4325129.html#ixzz1T6B58JXd

wfgodot
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Nichols Hills doctor should stay in mental hospital, wife tells judge (http://newsok.com/nichols-hills-doctor-should-stay-in-mental-hospital-wife-tells-judge/article/3588784?custom_click=lead_story_title)
---
“Nothing that my husband has done since he murdered my son has shown the remorse of a normal human being,” Mary Wolf wrote in the July 11 letter. “I hope he gets the help he needs, for a very, very long time.”
---
(much more about the issues involved at Daily Oklahoman link above)

doublestop
08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Another update:

http://www.ktul.com/story/15235403/man-who-killed-young-son-could-be-released-from-mental-health-facility

cook78
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Judge DENIES release....

http://www.news9.com/story/15237248/judge-denies-release-for-okc-doctor-who-killed-9-year-old-son

Thanks goodness.

believe09
08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Judge DENIES release....

http://www.news9.com/story/15237248/judge-denies-release-for-okc-doctor-who-killed-9-year-old-son

Thanks goodness.

As expected. What is frightening is the Mr. Wolf (presumably he has lost his license to practice medicine?) is savvy enough to convince this Forensic Psychologist that he is fit for limited release. :banghead: