View Full Version : Gary Dunn- Murder of Nona Dirksmeyer

12-22-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't know if any of you have heard about this case, but this case is absolutely heartbreaking.

Nona's 24th Birthday would have been coming up on December 26.

RIP Nona

Dateline Transcript:


48 Hours Mystery Episode:

Who Killed The Beauty Queen? - 48 Hours - CBS News

Gary Dunn's trial is scheduled to begin on April 12, 2010

12-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Just go to Google and type in Gary Dunn Nona Dirksmeyer

a lot of articles will come up

04-15-2010, 08:28 AM

04-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Opening statements start this morning in what should prove to be an interesting trial!

04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
from Russellville Courier:


(different website):


Related Links to the right.

04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Here is the 48 Hours Mystery Transcript ( I don't think you can view this episode on their website anymore):

Link does not work, if you want to read the 48 hours transcript go to google and type in 48 hours mystery Nona Dirksmeyer.

(Videos to the left do work however)

04-16-2010, 09:53 AM

04-16-2010, 01:40 PM

04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
(woman with glasses is Nona's mother Carol)

04-16-2010, 03:57 PM

04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
State v. Dunn mid-day update: Detective continues testimony, talks 'staged theory'

Courier staff
CLARKSVILLE -- Nona Dirksmeyer's death was the result of a sexual assault -- although it may never have reached the point of rape -- prosecutors argued during testimony Monday morning in the capital murder trial of her neighbor, a parolee convicted of bludgeoning a woman at a nature trail in Russellville in 2002.
Defense attorneys for Gary Dunn disputed the claim, saying the crime scene was staged to give that impression by the man they say is the real killer, Dirksmeyer's boyfriend, Kevin Jones.
Russellville Police Department Det. Mark Frost, who conducted the initial investigation into the homicide, said "the state of the body," found nude, facedown and in a pool of blood, made sexual assault "a concern."
The theory was largely discounted, it was revealed by a medical examiner during Jones' 2007 trial for the same crime, after an autopsy found no evidence of rape.
"We were working on two different theories at the time, and until we got evidence from the medical examiner, we didn't know which way to go," Frost testified.
Frost said the placement of a condom wrapper -- which other testimony indicated was likely sold at an EZ Mart convenience store -- found at the scene pointed him toward the theory sexual assault was not a factor in the death, but that the crime scene was staged to make it appear so.
"If (the wrapper) had been in the living room, it would have piqued ... more interest," Frost said.
He said the fact investigators found the wrapper on a kitchen counter, some distance from the body, "led credence to the staged theory."
Frost later agreed it would seem likely someone attempting to stage a crime scene, however, would place the wrapper in the living room, nearer the body.

04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
unfortunately, the only evidence they have against GD is the condom wrapper.

Medical examiner testifies

Story date: April 24, 2010

No physical sign Dirksmeyer raped, doctor says, but it’s a possibility
By Mary Kincy
CLARKSVILLE — Nona Dirksmeyer’s killer probably intended to slash her throat, but was unable to do so due to her struggles, a state medical examiner testified in the capital murder trial of Gary Dunn.
“It was simply unsuccessful and at that point, another weapon, evidently the lamp, was sought,” Dr. Charles Kokes told the jury of 12 men and women who as early as next week may decide whether Dunn will live or die. He is facing life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty if convicted.
Kokes’ testimony came amid the introduction Friday of nearly two dozen graphic autopsy photos that detailed the injuries sustained by Dirksmeyer. Multiple contusions marked her forehead, nose and chin, while a cluster of knife wounds marred her neck and shoulder areas.
But the killing blow was a revealed as a three-inch laceration on the back of her skull, a photo of which showed the skin and flesh torn and gaping. The exposed skull was depressed three-eighths of an inch, Kokes testified.
One juror covered her mouth when the grisliest of the photos flashed on a projector screen, while another’s jaw ticked repeatedly. Most showed no visible reaction.
An attorney for Dunn, Jeff Rosenzweig, asked whether Dirksmeyer could have survived the blow.
“In all likelihood, no,” he said. “Even if you had an ambulance there and an operating room ready, that’s an extremely damaging injury.”
A gap between a series of cuts on Dirksmeyer’s neck and others on her shoulder indicate she attempted to defend herself from her attacker, Kokes testified. Prosecutors point to Dunn, Dirksmeyer’s neighbor, in that role, but his defense claims the real killer was Dirksmeyer’s boyfriend, Kevin Jones.
“These injuries are typical of a phase in the assault when there was likely an attempt being made to cut Ms. Dirksmeyer’s throat,” Kokes testified. “The way you would try and potentially keep that assailant from getting to that area is by hunching one’s shoulder into the right side of the neck.”
The positioning of the cuts suggests a right-handed attacker, Kokes said.
In addition, Dirksmeyer suffered direct blows to the face, and was choked using a “squeezing or compressive” force hard enough to cause hemorrhaging behind her eyelids and a small bone in her neck to fracture.
The fatal wound came last, as Dirksmeyer was lying facedown, Kokes testified. A flash of lightning followed by a rolling boom of thunder shook the courtroom as he told of it. The storm, part of a severe weather system moving across the state, had been brewing all day.
Another, less damaging laceration on the top of Dirksmeyer’s head was also consistent with the lamp base investigators have identified as the murder weapon being wielded like a sledgehammer, Kokes testified.
He said the entire attack likely unfolded in “a matter of minutes.”
Prosecutors used the testimony to try to shore up their case against Dunn, who has slipped into the background this week amid testimony about — and from — Jones.
Jack McQuary repeatedly appeared before the jury wearing a bright blue latex glove on his right hand.
He drew attention to a deep red abrasion on one side of Dirksmeyer’s nose.
“Could that be caused by the wearing of gloves (while) pinching the nose?” he asked. “Would that be consistent with that?”
Kokes agreed gloves would likely be more abrasive than a bare hand, and that a gloved hand could cause the wound.
But no evidence has so far been presented to link Dunn, or anyone else, to a pair of gloves.
Time of death
Based on the level of rigor mortis and the areas of lividity on her body, Dirksmeyer died sometime between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Dec. 15, 2005, Kokes testified.
Rigor mortis is a phenomenon that occurs in the hours after death in which the body’s muscles tighten, causing a stiffening of the limbs. Lividity refers to the manner in which blood pools in the body, visible through the skin, about six hours after death.
Dirksmeyer’s body showed a limited amount of rigor mortis, Kokes testified, but lividity visible on both sides of her body, front and back, indicate she was moved from a prone position to one in which she was on her backside at least six hours after she died. Jones moved Dirksmeyer when he found her body about 6:30 p.m., setting the latest time she might have been killed at a “conservative” 1 p.m., Kokes testified.
A teacher spoke with Dirksmeyer on the phone at 10:24 a.m.
Sexual assault?
Despite prosecutors’ assertion Dunn was sexually motivated in perpetrating the attack, Kokes testified Dirksmeyer’s body showed no sign of sexual assault.
“Does that mean that no sex occurred or no sexual assault or no rape or no attempted rape?” McQuary asked.
“No, I can’t answer that because when you find physical evidence or physical trauma, that only indicates an excessive amount of force was used,” Kokes said. “As far as my examination is concerned, it doesn’t rule out the possibility of sexual penetration, sexual contact.”
Walls don’t talk
An exhaustive search for DNA on items seized from Dirksmeyer’s apartment in the wake of her death yielded little information, testimony proffered before Kokes took the stand showed.
State Crime Laboratory forensic DNA examiner Melissa Myhand said swabs from a greeting card, mini blinds, a bottle of carpet cleaner, underwear, a pair of sweaters and a bed sheet found at the scene returned no usable human DNA not linked to Dirksmeyer.
A knife, bra, candle and a pair of jeans all revealed at least partial DNA profiles not linked to Jones or Dunn. But special prosecutor McQuary reminded the jury “numerous individuals not wearing gloves” potentially handled the items during Jones’ trial.
A pair of shoes, a multipurpose tool, clippings of Dirksmeyer’s fingernails and swabs from her mouth and genitalia were free of useful data, as was an examination of the murder weapon, Myhand testified.
McQuary, his gestures highlighted by the blue latex glove, asked Myhand why a sexual assault might generate no DNA.
“If a condom was used, if there was penile penetration, if there was no ejaculation, if there was a low sperm count, those would be exceptions” that might prevent DNA transmission, she said.
DNA findings were compared to a range of individuals including Dirksmeyer, Jones and Dunn in addition to Duane Dipert, Dirksmeyer’s stepfather, and Jamie Dunn, the defendant’s brother, according to Myhand’s testimony.
She said it was not surprising so little was recovered in the testing, some of which came years after the crime.
“What helps preserve the DNA is how it’s packaged and what kind of (circumstances) it’s preserved in,” she said.
McQuary used Myhand’s testimony to try to reinforce the condom wrapper DNA previously entered into evidence that prosecutors claim has only a 1 in 120 million chance of being someone other than Dunn’s.
He asked whether information garnered from a MiniFiler test — like the one used to match the trace DNA sample to Dunn — was less valid or “good” than more established tests.
“If we get results, we would report on those,” she said. It is up to the examiner to note any qualifications or exceptions related to the findings, she added.
Another Crime Lab expert, Bobby Humphries, earlier testified latent prints observed on the base of the murder weapon were not detailed enough for comparison.
McQuary, debuting the blue glove, asked whether anything might prevent someone from leaving fingerprints.
“If you put a barrier over your hands, that would definitely prevent you from leaving a print on a surface,” Humphries said.
The trial begins its third week at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
State v. Dunn witness summaries

Story date: April 24, 2010

Other witnesses who testified Friday included:
n Lanny Shepherd, an engineering manager at AT&T, who testified Jones’ cell phone signal bounced off towers in a manner consistent with his alibi the day of the murder.
All calls or texts made or received from 9:08 a.m. to 1:49 p.m. suggested Jones was closest in range to a Dover tower, Shepherd testified.
Defense attorney Bill James, during cross-examination, said the information did not exclude Jones as the killer because the phone “could be anywhere” without generating records unless it was used.
The phone was not used after 9:56 a.m., when Jones checked his voicemail, until 12:05 p.m.
“That means you can’t tell this jury anything about where that phone was during that time period,” James summarized.
n Norma Tate Jones, whose testimony comprised a crucial point of the boyfriend’s alibi during his 2007 trial, told jurors she heard her grandson pull up to the Jones family service station between Dover and Russellville about 11:30 a.m. the day of the murder.
She testified she saw Jones enter the lot from the north, indicating he came from Dover, not Russellville.
State medical examiner Dr. Charles Kokes told jurors Dirksmeyer died sometime between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., and Jones’ alibi is firm after about 12:15 p.m., when he paid for lunch at the Bayou Bridge Cafe in Dover.
Defense attorneys claimed Jones’ grandmother changed her story sometime after a 2006 interview with investigator Stacie Rhoads.
“You told her you did not know which direction he was coming from,” James said.
He also implied she knew too much detail about the day in question.
“You’re telling this jury that you just happened to know all this information about what he did that day?” he asked.
She said she was aware of the family’s general activities.
n Chantelle Taylor, a trace evidence examiner with the state Crime Laboratory, who testified she examined hairs and fibers gathered from the crime scene, including those discovered on Dirksmeyer’s genitalia, hand and socks. Three hairs were also recovered from a candle found covered in blood near Dirksmeyer’s head. All of the hairs were either “microscopically similar” to Dirksmeyer or were traced to animals.
n Ed Vollman, a serologist with the state Crime Lab, who testified he tested swabs taken from Dirksmeyer’s mouth, vagina and anus, but was unable to find evidence of recent sexual activity.
Factors that might obliterate such evidence include the length of time between the deposit and the swabbing, he said.
“Is there anything that could possibly block semen from even ever entering into those cavities?” prosecutor Jack McQuary asked.
“A condom,” Vollman replied.
He also tested the carpet under Dirksmeyer’s body, a greeting card and a multipurpose tool for blood and “touch DNA.” The carpet and card were free of DNA and of blood other than Dirksmeyer’s, while the tool was absent of both blood and DNA.
McQuary, wearing a blue latex glove he sported throughout much of the day, asked if DNA from a victim hit or choked might transfer to a glove worn on the perpetrator’s hand.
“It could happen,” Vollman said.

04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
The state says Dunn's mother's words to police also further the case against him. According to police, she made him promise he didn't have anything to do with the murder, something they say she wouldn't have had to do if her son had been with her all day like they both claimed.


This is a horrifying case. What a terrible thing to happen to such a sweet and beautiful girl.

04-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Trial shifts focus to Dunn's alibi

Story date: April 27, 2010

Accused’s family testifies; jury left to reconcile investigator’s, medical examiner’s testimony

By Mary Kincy
CLARKSVILLE — A recorded jailhouse call gave voice to Gary Dunn’s 2008 threats to file defamation and slander lawsuits against those who released information alleging his involvement in the 2005 death of Nona Dirksmeyer here during his capital murder trial.
The recording, played after Dunn’s defense argued special prosecutors “opened the door” by taking a separate statement Dunn made “woefully out of context” during their opening argument, was largely unintelligible in the area where spectators are permitted to observe court proceedings, but Dunn could be heard at one point telling his mother, “... if they already had everything they said, three years ago I would have been convicted ...” In context, defense attorney Jeff Rosenzweig called the statement a “protestation of innocence.”
The recording, which was redacted to exclude information about Dunn’s prior convictions, came during Martha Dunn’s halting testimony.
The mother, who has battled cancer since before her son’s August 2008 arrest, was declared a hostile witness Monday after she twice denied ever asking Dunn, 30, to promise he was not involved in Dirksmeyer’s death. Opposing attorneys are allowed to ask hostile witnesses leading questions, an interrogation technique normally reserved for cross-examination.
Prosecutor Jack McQuary read a portion of a statement Martha Dunn, clad Monday in jeans and a gray sweatshirt, gave to police the same month her son was arrested.
“You know, I do remember that I came right out and asked Gary, ‘Did you have anything to do with that young lady?’ — do you know — and (he) said, ‘No ma’am, I did not hurt that young lady in any way and I did not know her that well’” (sic), McQuary quoted.
The attorney questioned why Martha Dunn, who testified her son spent the day of the murder sick on her couch, interrogated him after telling police they were together most of the day.
“You still felt you needed to ask him and have him swear to you he didn’t have anything to do with this girl’s death?” McQuary asked.
It was not the first time prosecutors called Dunn’s alibi into question, and later testimony from the accused’s sister-in-law, Summer Dunn, offered another opportunity for the state to undercut his family’s claims he spent the majority of the day at their home in Dover.
Summer Dunn told investigators in late August 2008 she recalled the day Dunn was sick at the home, but wasn’t sure if it was the day of the murder, Dec. 15, 2005, or the next day. Dirksmeyer was killed sometime between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., prior testimony has established.
On the witness stand, however, Summer Dunn said she was now certain the date was Dec. 15.
“How are you sure about that?” McQuary asked. “I just am,” she said.
In contrast to his family’s statements he was ill that day, Dunn told investigators he painted interior walls at his mother’s house the day of Dirksmeyer’s death. But each of Dunn’s family members called to testify Monday — including Martha Dunn; Summer Dunn; his brother, Jamie Dunn; and his stepfather, Preston Chenoweth — said the painting was done primarily by others.
Family members also offered disparate accounts of a purchase made at Lowe’s home improvement store the day of the murder. Dunn told a state police investigator he and his mother went to the store sometime around 11 a.m. to buy painting supplies. But other than Martha Dunn, no one else recalled the trip, and the only receipt produced by the family, time-stamped 1:24 p.m., was for an expensive piece of carpentry equipment Jamie Dunn testified he purchased using cash.
Defense attorneys scored points earlier in the day, however, when state police investigator Bill Glover testified Dunn said he was left-handed — and used his left hand to sign a statement — during an interview Dec. 29, 2005.
At least 10 of 15 jurors, including three alternates, scribbled in notepads provided by the court after the revelation, proffered only days after state Medical Examiner Dr. Charles Kokes testified cuts and stab wounds on Dirksmeyer’s neck and shoulder indicated a right-handed attacker.
Dunn denied any relationship with Dirksmeyer during the interview, Glover testified, and said he did not know her.
“He said he had seen her a couple of times, that they lived at the same apartment complex,” Glover said.
Dirksmeyer’s boyfriend, Kevin Jones, along with his mother and a friend, discovered her nude, lifeless body inside her South Inglewood Avenue apartment complex, the same complex where Dunn lived with his wife, Jennifer, and her two children.
Russellville police investigated Jones and Dunn in the wake of the brutal homicide, but Dunn had what appeared to be a strong alibi and, his stepfather claimed in 2008, passed a lie detector test.
Jones eventually was charged with the first-degree murder of the 19-year-old Miss Petit Jean Valley, but won acquittal in July 2007.
Dunn’s arrest came after an expert hired by the Jones family matched DNA found on a condom wrapper at the scene to a known profile of Dunn provided to them by Deputy Dover Marshal Todd Steffy. Dunn’s attorneys contend the state’s assertion there is only a 1 in 120 million chance the DNA is someone other than Dunn’s is vastly inflated, but prosecutors, although they have not yet offered a narrative for how they believe the murder was carried out, say it places him at the crime scene.
Proceedings continue at 8:30 a.m. today, when Stacie Rhoads, a special agent for the Arkansas State Police, is expected to testify regarding the investigation that led to Dunn’s arrest.
The Associated Press contributed information to this report.

04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
When they charged her boyfriend and he was found not guilty, how did they reconcile the DNA on the condom wrapper to the case against him?

I read in one of the articles posted above that the police admitted they "made a mistake" in regards to Jones.

Interestingly, it appears that Jones failed the polygraph while Dunn passed his. I know they are not admissible in court, but are a tool for law enforcement on how to proceed with their investigation, so it is understandable that they went in the direction of Jones. Besides being the one to find the body, he said he straddled her in an effort to revive her, thereby contaminating the crime scene.

Another article I read claims that the person who administered the polygraph to Kevin Jones was not a certified or licensed polygraph examiner. That this was done in an effort to get Jones to confess.

04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Where was the condom wrapper actually found?

He said the fact investigators found the wrapper on a kitchen counter, some distance from the body, "led credence to the staged theory."
See iluvmua's Post 11 above
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Gary Dunn- Murder of Nona Dirksmeyer

Bristow: The only area that was fingerprinted was the area around the body, there was—blood near the front door, there was blood on the Venetian blinds—an empty condom wrapper a short distance from the body.


04-27-2010, 08:03 PM
State v. Dunn mid-day update: Dunn's wife talks about abuse

Courier staff
CLARKSVILLE -- The wife of Gary Dunn claims he sexually abused her during their marriage to the point she was forced to undergo an emergency hysterectomy prior to their separation.
Jennifer Dunn, whose testimony in the capital murder trial over the killing of 19-year-old Nona Dirksmeyer prompted a closed-doors hearing that lasted nearly an hour Tuesday morning, said her husband became increasingly violent as the marriage progressed.
The wife broke down in tears as she described acts Dunn committed during sex, including "choking, putting his hand over your face, putting his elbow or arm over the back of your neck and shoving (your face) into the pillow or floors."
Jennifer Dunn also testified her husband began using condoms after he forcibly engaged her in acts of sodomy while they resided at the same South Inglewood Avenue apartment complex where Dirksmeyer lived and died.
The beauty queen's killer choked her hard enough to fracture a small, U-shaped bone in her neck, in addition to hitting her in the face, cutting and stabbing her neck and shoulder and twice bludgeoning her head with the base of a floor lamp. An opened condom wrapper was found at the scene, and a trace amount of male DNA on it was later linked to Dunn.
But a medical examiner testified during both Dunn's trial and the 2007 proceedings against Kevin Jones, Dirksmeyer's boyfriend and the first man charged in the death, that he saw no signs Dirksmeyer was sexually assaulted during an autopsy.
Jennifer Dunn also testified she saw her husband leaving Dirksmeyer's apartment in the middle of the night about two weeks before the murder.
Dunn's wife said she confronted him, but Dirksmeyer, who came out of the apartment with another woman, jumped to his defense, saying "he wasn't doing anything."
Prosecutors' questions Tuesday indicated Jennifer Dunn did not initially cooperate with authorities, but later, after Jones' acquittal, told state police investigator Stacie Rhoads of her concerns.
Asked why, she said, "Because I knew what was in my heart all along was finally being verified by somebody else."
Look for complete coverage, including information on defense attorneys' cross-examination of Jennifer Dunn, in Wednesday's edition of The Courier, or follow us on Twitter @rsvlcourier.

04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
In other articles I've read about this case, People who knew Nona said that she was very safety cautious. I have a hard time believing that Nona would let this guy into her apartment.

Unless, she thought that she could trust him for some reason.

one of her friend's said that she would have to call Nona before she would let her into the apartment.

04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
snipped from Post 18 above

Jennifer Dunn also testified she saw her husband leaving Dirksmeyer's apartment in the middle of the night about two weeks before the murder.

Dunn's wife said she confronted him, but Dirksmeyer, who came out of the apartment with another woman, jumped to his defense, saying "he wasn't doing anything."I wonder why he was in her apartment. I wonder who the other woman was.

Or is she saying this, hoping to get him convicted and out of her life?

04-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Monday, a state police investigator testified that whoever killed Dirksmeyer was holding the weapon in their right hand (http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=103485), and he implied that Dunn was left handed.

Friday, a DNA examiner (http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=103365) with the state Crime Laboratory testified that tests conducted on more than a dozen items after Nona Dirksmeyer's murder yielded no matches to the two suspects in the case.
I wonder whether he, for example, writes with his left hand, but does other things with his right.

My daughter is very young, but she writes with her right hand and bats, golfs and fields a ball with her left hand.

04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Does this mean they found DNA on the items but that it did not match Kevin Jones or Gary Dunn?

04-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Does this mean they found DNA on the items but that it did not match Kevin Jones or Gary Dunn?

I believe so

04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
snipped from Post 18 above

I wonder why he was in her apartment. I wonder who the other woman was.

Or is she saying this, hoping to get him convicted and out of her life?

I wonder why he was in her apartment also, Nona's friends say she had a love for animals and she would feed stray animals outside her apartment.

I'm going to post some older articles on here

04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Story Date: Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Miss Arkansas Tech embraces memories of Nona

By Janice Penix
Although she competed against NONA DIRKSMEYER in several pageants, Brandy O’Neal, the reigning Miss Arkansas Tech, said she and the 19-year-old Dover native became friends very quickly.
“Nona and I met at the Miss Petit Jean Valley pageant, where we were both competing, a couple of years ago,” O’Neal said. “I remember the first time I heard her sing onstage. I just stopped where I was and got chills all over. She was amazing.”
Dirksmeyer, a sophomore music major at Arkansas Tech University, was found dead Thursday evening at her residence on Inglewood Avenue and 12th Street in Russellville. Her death is under investigation by the Russellville Police Department.
O’Neal said there is much to remember about Dirksmeyer’s life.
“Nona was such a wonderful and kind person,” O’Neal said. “It didn’t matter where she was or what she was doing, she always tried to make you feel comfortable.
“She knew that singing onstage made me nervous, so she would always try to keep my mind off of it until I went onstage. Even though she might be singing that night, too, she just wanted me to feel comfortable.”
Although Dirksmeyer was a quiet person, O’Neal said she also had a good sense of humor.
“She was quiet, but very funny,” O’Neal said. “Sometimes at Miss Arkansas she would be sitting at the table eating with everyone, and someone would be telling a story. You wouldn’t even think that Nona was listening, and then she would just bust out and say the funniest thing. We were all like, ‘Where did that come from?’”
O’Neal said Dirksmeyer was a very strong person who really believed in her critical issue — child abuse prevention and awareness.
Dirksmeyer competed in the Miss Arkansas 2005 pageant as the reigning Miss Petit Jean Valley, a title that was officially bestowed on her by O’Neal, the 2004 Miss Petit Jean Valley. The two friends were roommates in Hot Springs during this year’s Miss Arkansas competition.
“We had a great relationship,” O’Neal said. “We roomed together at Miss Arkansas this past summer, and we had the best time. I remember my dad coming in and teasing us about our messy room, and we just laughed.
“We would stay up late just chit-chatting about the pageant and school. Nona, Leslie Miller [Miss Johnson County] and I rode rides together at Magic Springs, and it was the best time that I had at Miss Arkansas. It was just us girls hanging out and having fun.”
The friendship that formed between O’Neal and Dirksmeyer continued even after the pageant.
“After Miss Arkansas, we ran into each other at the fitness center and talked every time we saw each other,” O’Neal said. “I hadn’t talked to her in about a month when I heard the news.
“I just wish that I could pick up the phone and call her to tell her how I felt about her. I don’t think she knew how much we all cared for her and how much she meant to us.
“When you compete in pageants with girls, you become close to them and actually become friends. There were several of us from the River Valley who were close friends, and we all went to Miss Arkansas last year. Even though you are competing against each other, it doesn’t feel like it because you are encouraging and supporting each other.
“She went out right before me onstage at Miss Arkansas, and I was amazed with her each time she stepped out onstage. She had worked so hard to get there. I was, and still am, very proud of her.”
According to O’Neal, Dirksmeyer’s best assets were her dedication and her sweet spirit.
“Nona was so inspiring to everyone who met her,” O’Neal said. “She was one of the hardest workers I’ve ever met. When I first met her, she was just beginning to compete in Miss Arkansas preliminaries. She worked harder than anyone I’ve ever met.
“She worked out hard, volunteered for her platform, worked on her talent and just blossomed before everyone’s eyes. You could tell that she really wanted to compete at Miss Arkansas because of how hard she worked. I am so glad that she earned the chance to do that, and I am really glad that I was there to experience that with her.”
O’Neal said she hopes Dirksmeyer is remembered for her caring personality and her remarkable talents.
“I hope that people remember her beautiful voice,” O’Neal said. “She was such a talented performer and had so much more to give. She was such a kind person and worked so hard to help abused children, which was her Miss Arkansas platform.
“I will never forget her smile. She made more of a difference in 19 years than most people make in a lifetime.”

04-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Story Date: Thursday, March 30, 2006
Mother's memories shine light on Nona

Carol Dipert shares personal moments of her daughter

By Scott Perkins/
A lost youth's grace lives on in stories from home.
More than 100 days after the discovery of 19-year-old NONA DIRKSMEYER's body, Carol Dipert, Dirksmeyer's mother, provided insight into who her daughter was through memories she continues to cherish.
"She was an easy person to talk to and was always ready to listen if you had a problem. Another thing I admired about her was courage, conviction and perseverance. If she knew what she was doing was right, she would pursue it in spite of opposition," Dipert said. "She knew what her gifts and talents were, and she used them to help others, like singing in the church choir and for the garden club, and singing for Margie Huckabay's classes at Crawford (Elementary School)."
Dipert said Nona also enjoyed helping Huckabay prepare for classes, because education and children were close to her heart.
"I was always amazed at how empathetic Nona was in spite of the hardships she had endured. She went out of her way to help people," Dipert said. "One of her friends didn't have enough money to pay for her dress for senior prom, so Nona paid for it out of her own money, until her friend's dad was able to save enough to pay for it."
Nona served as a mentor for Big Brothers and Big Sisters, where she left a lasting impression on her "little sister."
"Nona meant everything to me. She always smiled and laughed. She was my best friend in the whole wide world," Stacey, Nona's "little sister," wrote in a scrapbook for Dipert. "Also, she was the best sister I ever had. I loved her very much, and I never got to tell Nona that I really loved her."
On the night of Dec. 15, the day Nona was discovered in her Russellville apartment as an apparent victim of multiple blunt- and sharp-force trauma, Stacey and Nona had plans to spend time together. They were to have dinner and see a movie that night, however tragedy got in the way.
Dipert fondly recalled her daughter's sense of humor and ability to share funny stories and make people laugh.
"One of Nona's best characteristics was her sense of humor. She would say the funniest things. Last year, she kept Duane (Dipert) and I laughing with stories about her classes, especially sociology," Dipert said. "She always had funny stories to tell about things that happened with her friends. She just had that knack."
Nona also had a knack, or a big heart, for animals.
"Nona was especially kind to animals and couldn't stand to see any mistreated. She fed the stray cats at her apartment and took in a kitten she found abandoned under her car even though she already had two cats to take care of," Dipert said. "She gave her little Daschund away to a retired lady after the dog had had back surgery, because Nona wasn't able to be there to take the dog out and give it the care it needed. She cried because she missed her dog, Cupcake, but was confident she made the right decision for Cupcake's sake."
Childhood memories
"I have memories of Nona planting her own flower bed at our house close to Dover, walking her dog and playing with her cats. How she and her brother, John, would try to find their Christmas presents every year and search through everything," Dipert added. "I can remember them making tents out of sheets stretched between two chairs and playing in their homemade forts. They used to ride bikes and play on the trampoline together."
The family also remembers how John liked to put relighting candles on Nona's birthday cakes.
Nona's mission
Dipert said she found a folder in Nona's apartment about preventing child sexual abuse and mentoring children. Child abuse treatment and prevention was Nona's platform in the 2005 Miss Arkansas Scholarship Pageant.
"I knew when Nona chose vocal music education that she would be a great teacher, mentor, and a positive influence on her young students. She wanted to teach young children, and we talked about how she would be in a position to recognize and help abused children," Dipert recalled. "She told me once that if she could prevent one child from going through what she had, then it would be worth it."
Humble in faith
Dirksmeyer was crowned Miss Petit Jean Valley 2005 and regarded as a very talented vocalist.
"Even though Nona won talent awards and won a few pageants, she was a humble person. She didn't expect to be treated any better than anyone else," Dipert said. "And she treated everyone with the same respect, no matter who they were."
Nona was a faithful person and recently became a junior deacon at First Christian Church in Russellville.
Good times
"Some of my more recent memories include hanging out around our pool with Nona, listening to her practice piano and voice, and going shopping," Dipert said. "We had a blast going shopping last spring break."
Dipert said Nona would have recently returned to classes at Arkansas Tech University after spring break and was anticipating singing as a part of Easter services at her church.

04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Story Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Prosecution calls first round of witnesses

By Janie Ginocchio

OZARK — Prosecutors called the first of more than 40 witnesses Tuesday morning to testify in the State v. Kevin Jones murder trial at the Franklin County Courthouse.
Jones, 21, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of his girlfriend, NONA DIRKSMEYER, a sophomore music major at Arkansas Tech University and the reigning Miss Petit Jean Valley at the time of her death. Jones, his mother and Ryan Whiteside found Dirksmeyer’s body in her apartment Dec. 15, 2005.
Fifth Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney David Gibbons told jurors during opening arguments Jones killed Dirksmeyer with a floor lamp in a fit of rage.
Gibbons called several Arkansas Tech University (ATU) students and faculty members and Dirksmeyer’s friends to establish Dirksmeyer’s activities in the hours before her death. The focus then switched to Pope County emergency personnel called to the scene after her body was discovered to describe their observations of the scene and Jones’ behavior. Below is a summary of the testimony from key witnesses Tuesday.
Sara Bailey
Sara Bailey, a friend of Dirksmeyer’s and a fellow vocal music education major at ATU, was one of the first witnesses called by Gibbons.
She told jurors Dirksmeyer was security conscious.
“Every time I went [to her apartment], I would have to call her to tell her I was there” before Dirksmeyer would open the door, she said.
Bailey was in Dirksmeyer’s biology lab group, along with Vallee, James “Trey” York and Zack Walker, she said.
On Dec. 15, she said Dirksmeyer arrived late to the biology final exam.
“Living off campus, she sometimes came in late,” Bailey said. She said she saved a special pen used for the exams for Dirksmeyer so she could take the test.
Bailey finished and left before Dirksmeyer, she said, and tried to call her later regarding their grades on a class project. She said she used the biology professor’s cell phone to call Dirksmeyer at 9:34, but couldn’t reach her. When she called again at 10:14, Dirksmeyer answered the phone, she said.
She testified Dirksmeyer talked to her about Dirksmeyer’s relationship with Jones, which Bailey said “didn’t seem healthy.”
“They fought a lot verbally,” she said. “I knew she thought he had cheated on her, and she had cheated on him like a retaliation.”
During cross-examination, defense attorney Kenneth Johnson asked Bailey if she and her boyfriend ever fought.
She said they don’t yell at each other, a fact she relayed to Dirksmeyer during their conversations. “Nona said, ‘That’s nice because we really yell when we get mad,’” she said.
Bailey testified that another classmate, Jared Berry, told her of Dirksmeyer’s death some time between 7 and 10 p.m. on Dec. 15.
Jim Coulter York III
Jim Coulter York III, known as “Trey,” took the stand after lunch. York, 20, testified he was a senior geology major at ATU.
During questioning by Deputy Prosecutor Jeff Phillips, York told the jury he and Dirksmeyer attended the same biology class, and that he had asked her out on a date in late October or early November 2005.
“We went to the movies, then to my dorm room and her apartment,” he said of the date. He said she invited him to stay over at her apartment the next night, and he stayed and left the next morning. He said they kissed, but did not have a sexual relationship.
He said they would often hang out in his dorm room once a week, but he never returned to her apartment. He said she stopped coming around some time after Thanksgiving.
“There was no time to hang out,” he said.
York testified he woke up at 6 a.m. Dec. 15 and began studying. He took his biology exam at 8:30, went back to his dorm and got breakfast at Paradise Donuts downtown at about 9 a.m. He said he spilled a drink in his car, which took him about 10-15 minutes to clean up, and then returned to his dorm room to gather his books and walked to Dean Hall, where he sat in the hallway and studied before taking a 10:30 exam.
He returned to his room and sent a text message to Dirksmeyer, asking him to call him, at about 11 a.m.
“She brought me half a cake, and I had the cake pan,” he said.
York said he packed his things in preparation of returning home to Ashdown for the holidays. He said he returned a movie to Hastings and got gas at an Exxon station near Interstate 40. While at the gas station, he texted Dirksmeyer again, this time with the message “never mind.” He said the message was sent at about 1 p.m.
During cross-examination, Johnson asked him why York and Dirksmeyer stopped hanging out. He asked if it had something to do with school work York thought Dirksmeyer copied.
“I did feel as if I had been taken advantage of,” York said.
He confirmed Dirksmeyer sent him 147 text messages in November and 83 from Dec. 1-15, and said he had replied to all of her messages. York testified he owned a 2005 silver Ford Mustang, but denied it looked similar to Dirksmeyer’s silver Mustang.
Johnson questioned York on how he learned of Dirksmeyer’s death. York at first said he received a call from a Zack at about 10 or 10:30 p.m. Dec. 15, but didn’t take the call because it was an unknown number. He said he had a friend call the number back.
Johnson, who told jurors in opening arguments Zack Walker called York and told him Dirksmeyer was dead the night of Dec. 15, asked York to show him on York’s cell phone records when Walker called him and when he returned Walker’s call. Neither York nor Johnson seemed to be able to identify any calls from or to Walker on the records for Dec. 15.
York later said he didn’t receive a call about Dirksmeyer until the next morning. He was also insistent the biology exam began at 8:30 despite testimony from two other students in the class the exam began at 8.
Stacy Gray
Pope County 911 dispatcher Stacy Gray testified she was working with a trainee the night of Dec. 15 when the trainee took a call for assistance he handed off to her because it involved a medical emergency, something he was not yet trained to handle.
She identified an audio tape that contained a recording of the 911 call, which was played for the jury.
Laura Brown
The next witness called was Laura Brown, a Pope County EMS paramedic who was dispatched to Dirksmeyer’s apartment Dec. 15.
When she entered the apartment, she said she saw a young man “straddling” a body in the dark room.
She said she turned on the lights and Jones, who was straddling Dirksmeyer’s body, was “screaming, talking, hysterical.”
“He grabbed her behind the shoulders and lifted her up,” she said. Brown told him to put Dirksmeyer down and asked him to get up.
She said he got up on the right side of Dirksmeyer’s body and left the room. Brown said she worked from Dirksmeyer’s left side.
Unable to find a pulse, Brown said she applied cardiac monitor pads to Dirksmeyer’s chest to confirm her suspicion that Dirksmeyer was dead.
“I did not look at the back of her head,” she said. “Her right eye was bruised, her hands had blood on them ... there was dried blood on her face,” she said.
When she confirmed Dirksmeyer was dead, she “stood in one spot” to preserve the crime scene and waited for police to arrive.
She testified she observed a broken floor lamp to the left of Dirksmeyer, along with a pair of jeans turned inside-out with panties in them to the right of the body.
Gibbons asked Brown to identify a crime scene photo and to confirm if the photos accurately represented what she observed at the scene. She said yes.
During cross-examination, Bristow pointed to a lamp shade near Dirksmeyer’s right foot and asked her if she recalled it being there.
“I don’t recall a lamp shade,” she said. She testified she was not present when the crime scene photos were taken.
“So it’s possible the lamp shade was there on her right foot and you just didn’t notice it, right?” he said.
“Yes,” she said.
“Or another possibility is that someone moved it later, right?”
“Yes, that’s possible,” she said.
“You don’t know what was done after you left, do you?” Bristow asked.
“No,” she said.

04-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Story Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010
State v. Dunn witness list

Story date: April 13, 2010
CLARKSVILLE — Fifth Judicial District Circuit Court Judge Bill Pearson announced Monday the following individuals were expected to testify in the capital murder trial of Gary W. Dunn, 30, for the December 2005 murder of NONA DIRKSMEYER. All names that could not otherwise be confirmed are spelled phonetically. Names listed are in the order in which they were called.
• Kelly Jo Fitzharris
• Michael Valee
• Tony Sigle
• Al Frazier
• Jeremy Huggins
• Leonard Krout
• James Bacon
• Rhonda Waterman
Norma Jones
Paula Brown
Ed Whitted
Ken Hottinger
Ron Williams
Chuck Bishop
Andrew Featherston
Scott Pierson
Zack Walker
Josh Canady
Trey Whatley
Joe Carter
Bobby Humphries
Bill Glover
Laurie Winesburg
Josh Harrell
Carla Carlson
Jeff Taylor
Gary Burton
Lanny Shepherd
Dr. Charles Kokes
Chantel Taylor
Melissa Myhan
Brandi Bean
Evan Pescotta
Todd Steffy
David Arnold
Kevin Noppinger
Dr. Martin Tracey
Martha Dunn
Summer Dunn
James Dunn
Melissa Womack
Preston Chenowith
Stephen Meeker
Letha Phillips
Stacy Rhoads
Bobby Chandler
Sarah Jenkins
Holly Ruth Gale
James “Trey” York III
Vickie Kiehl
Jordan Harris
Shauna Kitchens
Kevin Jones
Ryan Whiteside
Janice Jones
Stacy Martin
Laura Treadway
Michael Stephens
Mark Frost
Duane Dipert
Carol Dipert
Ed Vollman
Donna Atkins
Chandra Dunn Alexander
Sarah Bailey
Larry Beyette
Jim Campbell
Denise Krieger
Tracy Edgin
Michael Evans
Mandy Garrett
Christopher Glaze
James Carney
Heather Leavell
Laurence D. Mueller
Jim Dunn
Cathy Dunn
Melissa Myhan
Roy Reed
Terry Roth
John Michael Roan
Jeff Terrell
David Virden
Blake Walters
Gary Mickey White
Note: This list will be updated with further information, including the occupations and testimony summaries of those named, as the trial progresses. Check for updates at www.couriernews.com.

04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Story Date: Tuesday, April 22, 2003
Man sentenced to prison for assault at park

By Sean Ingram
A 24-year-old Pottsville man was sentenced to six years in the Arkansas Department of Correction after he was found guilty Tuesday of second-degree battery in Pope County Circuit Court.
A jury of six men and six women deliberated an hour and 20 minutes before finding GARY DUNN not guilty of criminal intent to attempt murder in the first degree and guilty of second-degree battery, a Class D felony punishable by up to 6 years in prison and as much as a $10,000 fine. After taking 23 minutes, the jury returned before 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and sentenced Dunn to the maximum six-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000.
Following the sentencing phase, defense attorney Seth Irwin requested an appeal bond, which was denied by Circuit Judge Dennis Sutterfield. David Gibbons, prosecuting attorney for the 5th Judicial District, said that bond should be forfeited for Dunn because he was on probation during the time of the assault against a Russellville woman on Aug. 25, and the fact that the defendant’s mother testified that she was aware her son had violated probation conditions since the August incident.
Sutterfield explained that an appeal bond has no merit because the defendant is on probation, and one of the conditions of probation is to lead a law-abiding life. He added that Dunn was “a danger, and you should get down there (to prison) and start serving your time.” Dunn was then taken into custody by bailiff Dwight D. Earnest and transported to the Pope County Detention Center.
“I thought a very attentive jury listened and a made a well thought-out decision in a case that wasn’t very easy,” Gibbons said at the trial’s conclusion. “I thought the intent to attempt murder was there, but I respect the decision and sentence. I thought the sentence reflected a reasoned outrage as to not only what happened to the victim, but also the fact that one of the community parks was used as a sight for criminal activity.”
Bond was set at $20,000 commercial by Russellville District Judge Don Bourne on Aug. 26, Dunn’s birthday and a day after the man was arrested by Russellville police for the assault of the 24-year-old female victim at Bona Dea Trails. Reports indicated that the Pennsylvania native, who had moved to Russellville in August, called Pope County 911 Communications after leaving the trails near Washburn Park and drove to Saint Mary’s Wellness Fitness Center on West Main Street. Pope County EMS paramedics treated the woman at the center. The woman was transported to a local hospital emergency room by a friend.
The victim stated in reports she was running on a trail and saw Dunn wearing blue jeans and a blue shirt seated on a bench by the trail. After running by and was approximately 20 feet behind him, she stated and testified in trial Tuesday that she turned around and saw Dunn behind her. She explained Dunn then hit her with a wooden stick that she described as 2 to 2 1/2 feet long and 5 inches in diameter. The blow knocked her to the ground, she stated; then Dunn got on top of her and began hitting her on the right side of her head several times.
The woman testified that she somehow got the stick away from the man and attempted to get back up, but Dunn knocked her back down and allegedly hit her several more times. The victim testified the defendant then placed her between his legs, twisted her neck or tried to snap it and stated “I’ll f***ing kill you,” before the woman managed to get away, tried to call 911 via cellular phone and eventually ran to the fitness center.
The woman’s injuries included a black and blue left eye, cuts across the bridge of her nose, cuts under her right eye, scratches on the right side of her neck, cuts on her right shoulder, a cut on her right inner thigh, cuts on her left arm, red marks all over her face and just about all over her body. She was interviewed by authorities at the emergency room and gave a description of Dunn, who was caught later by police in the water near Ouita boat ramp on Lakefront Drive.
After the victim, RPD Officer Chris Koch and Det. Mark Frost testified that Russellville police drove through Washburn Park, down West Parkway behind the park and back to the boat ramp area when they observed a man fitting Dunn’s description coming from the direction of Bona Dea Trails. Koch stated that he could see Dunn hiding in water around grass and called for him to exit the water several times. Approximately nine officers were present before Dunn stated, “Okay, I’m coming out,” exited the water and was placed in custody.
Irwin called no witnesses during the regular portion of the trial, but questioned Dunn’s mother during the sentencing phase. Dunn’s mother said her son was employed in construction since he was 14 years old, married a mother of two children Friday and attended anger management counseling after the incident. Gibbons pointed out that Dunn’s mother was aware of the fact her son was on probation after a theft by receiving conviction in May and had violated probation conditions during the past few weeks leading up to Tuesday’s trial.
“The maximum punishment is for those who are not remorseful, who have not tried to change,” Irwin said during sentencing arguments. “GARY DUNN is changed and has tried to change since this incident. He told detectives during a taped interview that he wished that this had never happened. He is remorseful, and is sorry for what happened.”
“This victim will never be whole again,” Gibbons told the jury. “This happened in a public park, where people go to play, exercise and enjoy the outdoors. If you don’t protect your community park, your property, ****s like him (Dunn) will take them over.”
The Class D felony sentence calls for Dunn to serve at least one-third of the six-year sentence, the prosecutor said. With meritorious good behavior, Dunn could be eligible for parole after serving one to two years.

04-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 State v. Dunn mid-day update: Defense presents its case

Courier staff
CLARKSVILLE -- Gary Dunn's defense called seven witnesses on his behalf Wednesday morning, with each of their testimonies focused on Kevin Jones.
Dunn, 30, faces a possible death penalty in connection with the December 2005 murder of Nona Dirksmeyer, 19, at her Russellville apartment. But his defense claims her boyfriend, Jones, committed the crime and got away with murder when a jury acquitted him in July 2007.

more at http://www.couriernews.com/story.php?ID=24601

04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Defense attorneys recalled Stacie Rhoads, a state police investigator, to the stand just one day after her state's testimony to clarify information she gained from a interview with Jones' grandmother, Norma Tate Jones, before his trial.
The grandmother's testimony -- that she saw Jones at the family service station between Dover and Russellville about 11:30 a.m. Dec. 15, 2005 -- comprises a vital portion of Jones' alibi.


Jones' whereabouts are established by multiple witnesses who saw him sometime after noon at the Bayou Bridge Cafe in Dover.
Contrary to testimony Norma Tate Jones entered last week, when she said she saw his vehicle approach from the Dover area, Rhoads told the jury Wednesday the grandmother in 2006 said she did not know what direction Jones came from that morning.

From link above.

I don't know what to make of this.

04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for posting those older articles. I had been digging online and reading what I could about the case against Kevin, trying to determine why they now thought they had the right guy.

I tried to find court documents related to the case but didn't have much luck. Were you following the case when Kevin was charged? Did they release "discovery" pages to the public?

04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I remember reading that Dunn's DNA was in her apartment, either on the condom wrappers or something...in any case, someplace it should not have been...he lived in the same apartment complex but no one believed she would have had sex with him willingly if I recall correctly...
It is a very strange case, at least the way it has been presented, considering they actually went to trial with the boyfriend...

04-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting those older articles. I had been digging online and reading what I could about the case against Kevin, trying to determine why they now thought they had the right guy.

I tried to find court documents related to the case but didn't have much luck. Were you following the case when Kevin was charged? Did they release "discovery" pages to the public?

your welcome, If anybody wants to read further about this case you can go to

www.couriernews.com and click on Archives ( under Information), first search box, click on news ( under select category) and type in Nona Dirksmeyer.

all the articles are from 2010 to 2003.

Yes, I was following this case when Kevin was charged, I believe I heard about this case in early 2006.

Have you seen the 48 hours mystery or dateline episodes about this case?

04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
I remember reading that Dunn's DNA was in her apartment, either on the condom wrappers or something...in any case, someplace it should not have been...he lived in the same apartment complex but no one believed she would have had sex with him willingly if I recall correctly...
It is a very strange case, at least the way it has been presented, considering they actually went to trial with the boyfriend...

yep, Dunn's DNA was found on the condom wrapper a few feet from her body.

48 Hours mystery should be doing an update about this case sometime in the next couple of months.

Hopefully, dateline will update their show about this case as well.

04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I just feel SO bad for what Nona went through considering what she went through when she was a child.

04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
both 48 hours and Dateline are both there.

I hope the jury comes back with a guilty verdict

04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Jury to begin deleberations in the morning, they could not reach a verdict today.

Praying for the right outcome.

05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Mistrial Declared in Gary Dunn Case

Staff Writer

1:05 PM CDT, May 1, 2010
Mistrial Declared in Gary Dunn Case
Related links

After days of deliberation, a Johnson County jury was unable to come to a verdict in the Gary Dunn Capital Murder trial. Saturday morning the judge declared a mistrial.

Dunn will remain in police custody without bond. A new jury will be selected and another trial will be set at a later date. Judge Bill Pearson says a gag order will remain in effect for all involved.

30-year-old Dunn was accused of killing Arkansas Tech student Nona Dirskmeyer, who was found beaten in her Russellville apartment in 2005.

The jury returned this morning at 10 a.m. to resume deliberations. It was a very stressful day in the courtroom for family members of both the defendant and the victim. One of Dunn's family members had to be rushed to a hospital after experiencing chest pains at the courthouse.

The hung jury struggled with the verdict for two days, as two jurors were removed and alternates were brought in. The defense moved for a mistrial but the motion was denied. Judge Pearson said it was in the best interest of the state and the defendant for the jury to reach a verdict. The jury stayed Friday night, deliberating the case until about 8 p.m.

Prosecutors argued Thursday there was "substantial evidence" that the 19-year-old was the victim of either a sexual assault or an attempted assault even though no semen was found on her body. Prosecutors have said a condom wrapper found near Dirksmeyer had DNA that was matched to Gary Dunn, but that contention has been challenged.

Dirksmeyer's boyfriend, Kevin Jones, found Dirksmeyer's body on Dec. 15, 2005. He was tried and acquitted for the girl's death in 2007. Despite the acquittal, Dunn's defense attorneys focused their case on Jones, claiming he's been the real killer all along.

Over the last two weeks, jurors heard from several witnesses, including Jones, Dunn's estranged wife, several EMT workers, police, and DNA experts.

05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
The condom wrapper was reported to be in the kitchen during the Kevin Jones trial and not far from the body in the Gary Dunn trial.

I am not sure where it actually was ... but I did not think I would have been able to convict Gary Dunn on the little evidence they seemed to have.

In spite of the boyfriend being acquitted, I still think he had something to do with the murder.

05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
The boyfriend of Nona Dirksmeyer says he apologized to police for contaminating their crime scene after he straddled her nude, lifeless body and tried to give her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Even if you have never learned the proper way to perform mouth-to-mouth, you probably saw someone attempting it on television.

Do they ever show the actor straddling someone to do mouth-to-mouth?

It bothered me that he claims this is why he straddled the body.

05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Even if you have never learned the proper way to perform mouth-to-mouth, you probably saw someone attempting it on television.

Do they ever show the actor straddling someone to do mouth-to-mouth?

It bothered me that he claims this is why he straddled the body.

it is very sad, I don't want to judge Kevin based on what he did, although the way he was acting when he found her body and right before Nona's Funeral is strange.

I don't know how I would react to seeing someone I dearly loved dead on the floor.

05-05-2010, 04:03 PM
The condom wrapper was reported to be in the kitchen during the Kevin Jones trial and not far from the body in the Gary Dunn trial.

I am not sure where it actually was ... but I did not think I would have been able to convict Gary Dunn on the little evidence they seemed to have.

In spite of the boyfriend being acquitted, I still think he had something to do with the murder.

condom wrapper was on the kitchen counter. I don't think Kevin had anything to do with Nona's Death. nothing seemed to point to him.

05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Was the other DNA ever IDd? Other men she had dated?

05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
This is frustrating case.

You're right that we don't know how we would react.

05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Was the other DNA ever IDd? Other men she had dated?

Other DNA was two unidentified sources,

They did find Kevin's DNA in Nona's panties (sorry to be so descriptive) because they had been intimate the night before.

also the reason why Nona's lovers did not use condoms was because Nona was on birth control.

05-10-2010, 02:52 PM
This is frustrating case.

You're right that we don't know how we would react.

it is very frustrating and the sad part is there may never be Justice for Nona. :(

Unless Pros. find more evidence against GD.

also, the jury was not allowed to hear about the attack of the Bona Dea victim.

I think if they would have heard that they very well might have found GD guilty.

05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Retrial for Gary Dunn in Dirksmeyer Case?


Reported by: KARK 4 News

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 @11:15am CDT

Four days after a mistrial was declared in the murder case against Gary Dunn and there's still no word if he will be retried.

On Saturday, a jury in Clarksville announced it could not agree on a verdict against the Pope County man charged with the December 2005 killing of former Miss Arkansas contestant Nona Dirksmeyer.

Dunn is the second person to be tried in the case. Kevin Jones, a former boyfriend of Dirksmeyer's, was acquitted in his 2007 trial.

Dirksmeyer's body was found in her Russellville apartment. Police say she had been beaten and strangled.


05-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Dirksmeyer juror: No case

Thanks to Tina for alerting me to the Russellville Courier's extensive interview (http://www.couriernews.com/archived_story.php?ID=24650&Search=dirksmeyer) with a juror in the Nona Dirksmeyer murder case, who revealed the jury was leaning 8-4 toward acquittal of Gary Dunn when a mistrial was declared Saturday. Juror Dane Arbaugh said the jurors discounted much of the testimony from the suspect's estranged wife and continued to be suspicious about Dirksmeyer's boyfriend, acquitted of the crime earlier.
“We just didn't have (any) evidence,” Arbaugh explained. “All we had was that condom wrapper, and Lord have mercy, when we found out what all was on there, it about put us in shock.”
Experts testified the wrapper, discovered at the scene, yielded a mixed sample of DNA linked to Dirksmeyer, Dunn and at least two other unidentified individuals.
Arbaugh said the jury theorized Dunn and Dirksmeyer, neighbors at the South Inglewood Avenue apartment complex where she was killed, might have had a relationship.
“Do you know when that condom wrapper was put there?” he asked. When a reporter responded negatively, he replied, “There you go. I don’t either.”

Posted by Max Brantley on May 4, 2010 05:57 PM | Permalink (http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2010/05/dirksmeyer_juror_no_case.aspx)


Just some of the things we talked about here too.

05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
“Are they anybody going to pay for this murder?” he asked. “Are they anybody? Or will they all walk?”


05-31-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't see how they will be able to retry this case; there is just too much doubt, in this case too much DNA, and too many mysteries and possible motives. When you have more than one man's DNA at the scene...how can you convict? What a mess...I just don't have a feeling for it other than a gut feeling that Nona would not have been with Gary Dunn by choice...

06-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Dunn to be retried

Story date: June 5, 2010

30-year-old will again face jury in connection with death of Nona Dirksmeyer
By Mary Kincy
LITTLE ROCK — Prosecutors intend to retry the man charged in the 2005 slaying of Nona Dirksmeyer, one confirmed Friday.
Proceedings in the capital murder trial of Dirksmeyer’s neighbor, Gary W. Dunn, spanned more than three weeks last spring before a jury hopelessly deadlocked 8-4 in deciding whether he bludgeoned the beauty queen amid a sex-fueled attack. Circuit Judge Bill Pearson declared a mistrial May 1.
Jack McQuary, a special prosecutor appointed to the case following the 2008 arrest of Dunn, 30, said Friday the second trial will begin Jan. 10, 2011.
He declined further comment, citing a gag order preventing attorneys and others involved in the case from speaking to the media.
It was unclear where proceedings will take place, although the Franklin County Courthouse at Charleston, a community of about 3,000 located 25 miles southeast of Fort Smith, is the sole site in the judicial district other than the Pope County Courthouse that has yet to play host to a trial in the death.
Attorneys for Kevin Jones, Dirksmeyer’s boyfriend — who was previously tried for and acquitted of the murder — successfully argued for a venue change away from Pope County ahead of his 2007 trial, citing extensive publicity surrounding the case, while Dunn’s attorneys in the months leading up to their client’s trial won a transfer to the Johnson County Courthouse at Clarksville.
Since May 1, Dunn — who was in 2003 convicted in the attack of a woman at Bona Dea Trails in Russellville and was on parole Dec. 15, 2005, the day of Dirksmeyer’s murder — has remained in custody at the Pope County Detention Center.
His bond is set at $1 million.

01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Gary Dunn's trial is due to start on Jan. 10th. Does anyone know if the 10th is when jury selection will begin or if the actual trial will begin on the 10th?

Thanks in advance for any info.

01-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Gary Dunn's trial is due to start on Jan. 10th. Does anyone know if the 10th is when jury selection will begin or if the actual trial will begin on the 10th?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm not sure, it might be jury selection but I don't Know

01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Jury selection starts tomorrow. I wonder if they will be able to keep this trial within a two week period? We'll see.

01-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I just hope this time around, the Jury gets to hear what happened to the Bona Dea victim.

Nona Needs Justice!

01-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Attorneys point to different killers during opening arguments

The first day of testimony in the trial of Gary Dunn wrapped up early Thursday with several witnesses recounting interactions with Nona Dirksmeyer the day she died.

Dunn is charged with capital murder in the 2005 beating death of Dirksmeyer, a former beauty queen who was attending Arkansas Tech in Russellville when she was killed.

Prosecutors seemed to be using the witnesses to establish a timeline of events the day Dirksmeyer was killed.

Arkansas Tech applied voice teacher Holly Gale testified she spoke with DIrksmeyer on the phone around 10:20 a.m. Arkansas Tech music teacher Vicky Kiehl then testified that Dirksmeyer didn't show up for 2:15 p.m. piano exam. And a classmate testified he saw Dirksmeyer at a biology exam around 8 a.m. or 8:30 a.m. but that she didn't respond to subsequent text messages he sent shortly after 11 a.m.

DIrksmeyer's boyfriend at the time of her death, Kevin Jones, is expected to testify Friday. Jones was arrested in the death but acquitted in 2007.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Update: STILL no justice for Nona, Mistrial was declared again!!!!!

The State does intend to try Dunn for a third time.

*RIP Nona*

03-07-2011, 02:52 PM
where was jennifer dunn between 10 am and 1 pm dec 15 2005 she had caught gary coming out of nonas apartment 2 weeks prior to the murder i think jennifer found that condom wrapper and knew it was not from her and gary she then went to nonas apartment to question nona about it and did not like what she found out resulting in a fight and the murder of nona dirksmeyer she then made it appear to be a rape scene and she forgot the wrapper on the kitchen counter at one point jennifer said she would buy gary the world at another point she was being abused by him and may have set him up as a scape goat for her killing nona but i know women and when your caught coming out of another womans house your woman always says ill kill that ***** messing with my man whether said outloud or under their breath thats a womens thoughts

07-04-2011, 01:20 AM
i have always suspected the stepfather in all of this. there is something not right about him, and i think the mom may sense or know it too and isn't saying anything.

10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
i have always suspected the stepfather in all of this. there is something not right about him, and i think the mom may sense or know it too and isn't saying anything.Thankfully, it takes more than a gut feeling to get a conviction. One thing the crime shows fail to mention is that both Nona's mother and stepfather were checked out. . . their dna was ran. There was no physical evidence at all to link them to Nona's death.

11-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Thankfully, it takes more than a gut feeling to get a conviction. One thing the crime shows fail to mention is that both Nona's mother and stepfather were checked out. . . their dna was ran. There was no physical evidence at all to link them to Nona's death.

Right, Nona's Mother was working as a Nurse and Nona's Stepfather was out Christmas Shopping the time Nona was killed. He also had the Receipts to prove it.

03-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Nona Dirksmeyer murder focus of new 'Dateline' episode
This article was published February 22, 2013 at 8:29 a.m.

Dateline : What Happened To The Beauty Queen Episode

04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Kevin Jones is also suing the RPD for accusing him of killing Nona.

http://www.thv11.com/assetpool/documents/120702092141_Jones_vs._Frost_Dunn_Bacon_Russellvil le.pdf


(KJ accused of witholding evidence from people he is trying to sue)

04-08-2013, 08:40 PM
also in the suit, is more info about Dunn. On February 24, 2007 he stalked an ATU student at Walmart at 3:A.M. and Followed her for miles making every turn she did and ended up contacting a LE officer who stopped him, He said he was looking for some cousins who had a similar car.