PDA

View Full Version : Canada-Dar Heatherington - guilty of public mischief

Doyle
06-30-2004, 05:06 AM
An Alberta alderwoman was found guilty of public mischief today for fabricating a stalker and writing lurid letters to herself in a saga that crossed borders and made international headlines.
Dar Heatherington's sniffles could be heard in the courtroom as she stared straight ahead, dabbing at her eyes with a tissue, as Judge Peter Caffaro delivered his decision.

"I found that Mrs. Heatherington was not to be trusted to tell the truth," Caffaro said about an interview the alderwoman had with Lethbridge police that was videotaped.

Heatherington is to be sentenced Sept. 10. The judge agreed to the Crown's request for a psychiatric assessment before that.

The maximum sentence is five years in prison.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1088503432537&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968705899037&tacodalogin=no

Mimi
06-30-2004, 09:36 AM
This story baffles me so! I can't imagine she needed the attention- as being on council would certainly gain you some notoriety in her town as well as attention galore...a psychiatric evaluation is probably relevant and long over-due. Mental health issues are complex and serious, I just wish these "never cry wolf" incidences don't overshadow real, abductions etc... JMHO.