PDA

View Full Version : Found Deceased SC - Tamika Antonette Huston, 24, Spartanburg, 21 May 2004

findcarrie
07-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Tamika Antonette Huston is missing. She disapeared on May 21, 2004 from Spartanburg SC. If someone has posted this thread already and I am duplicating this, please just delete this.

Tamika caught my eye because she was last seen in a black 1991 Honda CRX. While there is no relation to the cases, Carrie Culberson disappeared with her CRX in 1996. Please visit Tamika's website for more detailed information and her flier.

http://tamika.info/

Tamika is a 24 year african american female
She is 4'11 and has a tattoo of a tiger on her right thigh. She also has white blemishes on the neck area.

englishleigh
07-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Oh, wow...she is beautiful. Really praying hard she is found safe. :(

findcarrie
07-10-2004, 11:02 PM
There is another website that is for the missing Spartanburg, SC woman, Tamika Huston

http://www.tamikahuston.com/pages/1/index.htm

Does anyone know if there is any more information on this young woman?

We have Tamika listed on both my ladies sites. I hope that some leads come up soon.

Kelly
07-11-2004, 01:04 AM
I am in contact with her uncle and there is no word about this beautiful young woman.

Kelly

angelmom
07-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Kelly, sorry if I am being dumb, but what are the graphics that look like a different type of alphabet? Am I the only one who doesn't know what these mean?

Praying for her safe return.

findcarrie
07-11-2004, 10:51 AM
I've said this before, but this one caught my eye because she is not that far from my location and the fact she was driving a CRX. One of my ladies was driving a CRX - ALTHOUGH there is NO relation to the cases. The alphabet looks like it's arabic or something. I dont know but it looks like it may be.

Kelly
07-11-2004, 12:43 PM
It's another language for relatives/friends from that culture. I think I read that she was part Ethiopian, but don't quote me on that. It's on that website, I believe.

Kelly

ShowerSinger
07-17-2004, 04:19 PM
It seems her live-in boyfriend was arrested 3 days after she was missing on a charge of criminal domestic violence against her. She had reported to authorities, that he had kicked her, and punched her. He also had a restraining order taken out on him by another woman, in May. They have postponed his trial on the domestic violence charge, since the witness (Tamika) is missing. Doesn't sound good....

findcarrie
07-17-2004, 10:07 PM
ShowerSinger:

I was not aware of the boyfriend and the domestic violence. ALthough I know there is absolutely no relation to this case of Tamika and Carrie Culberson's case, they have the same scenario. A young woman is missing, and her boyfriend had a past history of domestic violence against her. I hope that answers are found for her and if there is a relation to the exboyfriend being involved, I hope that the prosecutor's office will pursue him. I will continue to keep a watch on Tamika's case. I hope she is found soon.

Pandora
07-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Amharic is Ethiopa's most popular language.
http://www.amharic.com/

Kelly
07-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Posted on July 28, 2004

Family pleads for help in finding daughter
By JANET S. SPENCER | Staff Writer

The mother of Tamika Huston, a missing 24-year-old woman, begged for help Tuesday in finding her.

"I have traveled here to ask for any information in Tamika's disappearance. I know deep down in my heart, somebody knows something. Please, please, just let us know where she is," Gabriella Simenehe said.

Simenehe, who lives in Springfield, Va., asked anyone who knows anything to speak out.

"We want her to know we love her. We miss her deeply. And we thank the police and the media for all they have done for us," Simenehe said.

Simenehe joined more than 40 family members who gathered at the Marriott at Renaissance Park in a public appeal for information. Tamika was reported missing by her family on June 14.

Spartanburg police Capt. Randy Hardy said her family said she was last seen the first week of June.

In giving an update on the investigation, Hardy described her disappearance as suspicious after her car was found abandoned on June 20.

"There is nothing new. No concrete evidence as to what happened," Hardy told the family and media.

That is frustrating the family, said

Tamika's grandfather, Daniel Huston. They don't know what happened and can't find answers, he said, and that is breaking their hearts.

He remembers the jar of cookies his granddaughter brought him in March.

"It was nothing out of the ordinary. Just something she would do," he said.

Tamika grew up in his home. Her photographs are placed prominently in his den.

"Lots of pictures. She was talking about going back to college. Wanted to finish her education -- be a nurse. I don't know what's happening with her. That's the hard part. We're just hoping and praying she has just gone somewhere. That she's all right," he said.

Hardy said Tamika's disappearance has investigators puzzled. "Specifically, she abandoned her home and her pets. Her car was found abandoned. And an uncashed payroll check was found in the residence," he said.

While investigators have no evidence of foul play, Hardy said they have not ruled out violence in connection with her disappearance.

Tamika's father, Anthony Huston, said he misses and loves his daughter.

"I want to know what happened to her," he said.

Anthony Huston said the family tries to stay busy. "We pray. We pass out fliers with Tamika's photo. We ask questions. We know nothing," he said.

He said the last time he spoke to his daughter, he had gone to her Harvard Street residence and cut her grass.

"There was no way we knew we would be here today, asking for help in finding her," Anthony Huston said.

He said he did not know a report had been filed by other family members about Tamika vanishing until he saw a television report.

Anthony Huston said it was not unusual that he would go several days without hearing from his daughter.

"But this is totally out of character. She went to DC in March by train. She called me several times -- even from the train," he said.

Describing his daughter as kind, loving and sweet, he said she was funny, always happy.

"I can't see why someone would do this to her. We can't believe it. But we can't rule out anything. She loved everybody," he said.

Several family members said they were surprised that Tamika's former boyfriend, Terence Moss, had been charged with criminal domestic violence in a March incident when she said he hit her in the stomach after an argument.

"She did not tell us he hit her. In March, I remember she was crazy about him," Anthony Huston said.

Hardy said that Moss had been questioned but was not a suspect in Tamika's disappearance. "He's a person of interest we have interviewed. He may become a suspect, but he is not now," Hardy said.

"I don't know what to think," Anthony Huston said. "It's sad, lonely without her. I feel empty. Like anybody would when you don't know where your children are," he said.

Hardy said all tips are being pursued, including new information received Monday night, but he would not elaborate.

"We're looking at everything," he said.

Family members are offering a $7,500 reward for information in the investigation that can be called in to 596-2035 or Crime Stoppers at 58-CRIME.

Kelly
08-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Letters from readers
The Greeenville News
Thursday, July 29, 2004
Media ignore missing Spartanburg woman
My 24-year-old, African-American niece, Tamika Huston, has been missing under suspicious circumstances from the Spartanburg area since early June. As a public relations executive by trade, I have spent the better part of the last six weeks trying to get the attention of national media to profile Tamika's disappearance.

While the local print and broadcast outlets have been very helpful (including The Greenville News), I have largely been ignored by national press. To date, only BET Nightly News has found Tamika's story worthy of coverage. Yet, in less than 12 hours after her disappearance, Lori Hacking had been featured on all the cable news networks, national nightly news broadcasts and newspapers, including USA Today.

This scenario has been played out before with Chandra Levy, Laci Peterson, Dru Sjodin, Audrey Seiler, Brooke Wilberger and more. While I have great empathy for all of these families and I understand their pain, worry and anguish all too well, I cannot help but wonder why their disappearances are any more relevant than Tamika's. After all, it may be the national attention that brings Lori Hacking home or in the worst-case scenario, the person who brought her harm to justice. We only want the same thing for Tamika. Is this too much to ask?
Rebkah Howard
Miami, Fla.

Love_Mama
08-03-2004, 09:20 AM
kELLY...........I wish those of us out on the West Coast could help more.
I pray for all of the children who are missing each day.

Thanks for the letter from her Aunt.

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

findcarrie
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
You've brought up a real good question. Why does some people get more media coverage than others? We've had to fight continously to keep the media interested in Patrice's case. After the first week passes, it's like they've moved onto other things (and rightfully so in that area), however some cases such as Laci Paterson, Lori Hacking and Dru Sjodin were allover all the channels for two weeks minimum. Each and every person who turns up missing needs to be able to have the same things available to them. I cant answer why this happens to some and not for others, I can only say that I put forth my best effort each day to keep Patrice and Carrie in the faces of everyone and what has happened.
That's the purpose for this annoying banner you see flashing on beneath my posts ;-)

Kelly
08-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Family of Missing Woman Raises Reward to $10,000 for Information Leading to Her Whereabouts
Spartanburg Police Still Investigating the Suspicious Disappearance of Tamika Huston

Spartanburg, SC/August 6, 2004 - 24 year old Tamika Huston was last seen by family and friends on or around the last week of May or the first week of June in the Spartanburg, SC area. She was first reported to authorities as missing on June 14th. On June 20th, her 1991 black Honda CRX was found abandoned at Barksdale Apartments located at 350 Pierpont Avenue in Spartanburg. It had apparently been abandoned in that location for approximately the same amount of time Tamika had last been seen.

On July 6th, Tamika's family announced they were posting a reward payable to anyone who comes forward with information that leads to the actual location of Tamika. On July 23rd, the reward was raised to $7,500. Soon thereafter, on July 27th, the family held a press conference in Spartanburg to plead for anyone with information on Tamika's disappearance to come forward. Although the event was well attended by media and the community at-large, the family's plea has not led police to discover what happened to the young woman who has been missing for over two months from this city of just under 40,000.

Local media attention, word of mouth and emails circulating around the Internet have helped to spread the word regarding Tamika's disappearance - particularly in light of the fact that national media for the most part have declined to air the story. To date, BET Nightly News, the Internet site for the television program America's Most Wanted and the syndicated radio program The Russ Parr Morning Show have profiled the case.

To aid in police efforts to gather valid tips from the public, the family is once again raising the reward to $10,000 in the hopes that someone will finally come forward with valuable and credible information. "Our family prays that Tamika will be returned to us and this unbearable sadness and confusion will end. I know in my heart that someone knows something. Please come forward now and let us know where Tamika is," says Gabriella Simenehe, Tamika's mother.

The Spartanburg Public Safety Department is asking that anyone who may have information regarding Tamika's disappearance, please call (864) 596-2035 or CRIMESTOPPERS at (864) 58-CRIME. An additional reward of up to $2000 is also being offered by Spartanburg CrimeStoppers.

For more information and photos, please visit http://tamika.info or www.tamikahuston.com.

findcarrie
08-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Kelly,

Thanks for posting this information. I think by this reward being higher that perhaps this will help someone to come forward. It's also good to see Tamika on the AMW website. She's linked on both Carrie and Patrice's site. I hope she is found soon.

fourboys
09-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Strange disappearance of Tamika Huston
Woman Missing from Spartanburg, SC Area
September 10 2004

24-year old Tamika Huston was last seen by family and friends on or around May 21, 2004 in the Spartanburg, SC area. The missing woman's former boyfriend alerted a family member living in Miami, FL on Monday, June 14th, that Tamika had not been seen in three to four weeks in this relatively small city of just under 40,000.

Back in June, investigators with the Spartanburg Public Safety Department led by Lieutenant Steve Lamb, entered the home of Tamika Huston and found that her dog, Macy, had been left alone for what appeared to have been weeks. During that time, the dog had given birth to puppies. Tamika was an avid dog lover and treated Macy as a mother would a child. She mated the dog intentionally and was eagerly anticipating the birth of the puppies.

Shortly afterwards family members traveled from various locations including Springfield, VA, Richmond, VA, Ellicott City, MD, Nashville, TN and Miami, FL and gathered with local Spartanburg family members in order to seek out information from the community regarding Tamika's disappearance. The family has been working very closely with the Criminal Investigation Unit of the Spartanburg Public Safety Department in the search for Tamika.

Family and friends gathered on to hold a moving prayer vigil in front of the young woman's home at 102 Harvard Drive.

On June 20th, police received a phone call from a resident at Barksdale Apartments in Spartanburg who reported that Tamika's 1991 black Honda CRX had been parked at the complex for a period of weeks. Apparently, the vehicle had been abandoned for approximately the same amount of time that Tamika had last been seen.

Police are asking that individuals who may have information regarding Tamika's disappearance, please call (864) 596-2035 or CRIMESTOPPERS at (864) 58-CRIME.

Click HERE:http://tamika.info/ (http://tamika.info/)
for additional information on this case.

Press Release and Letters:

I have traveled here today to plead with the public to come forward with any information regarding my daughter's disappearance. I know deep in my heart that someone in this community knows something about what happened to our Tamika. I beg you to speak up and let us know where she is or what may have happened to her. I miss her beyond what my words can express. Her siblings miss her. Her cousins miss her. Her aunts and uncles miss her. Her grandparents miss her. This is by far the most difficult experience our family has faced. Please help bring Tamika home to us.

Thank you, Gabriella
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media ignore missing Spartanburg woman

My 24-year-old, African-American niece, Tamika Huston, has been missing under suspicious circumstances from the Spartanburg area since early June. As a public relations executive by trade, I have spent the better part of the last six weeks trying to get the attention of national media to profile Tamika's disappearance. While the local print and broadcast outlets have been very helpful (including The Greenville News), I have largely been ignored by national press. To date, only BET Nightly News has found Tamika's story worthy of coverage. Yet, in less than 12 hours after her disappearance, Lori Hacking had been featured on all the cable news networks, national nightly news broadcasts and newspapers, including USA Today.

This scenario has been played out before with Chandra Levy, Laci Peterson, Dru Sjodin, Audrey Seiler, Brooke Wilberger and more. While I have great empathy for all of these families and I understand their pain, worry and anguish all too well, I cannot help but wonder why their disappearances are any more relevant than Tamika's. After all, it may be the national attention that brings Lori Hacking home or in the worst-case scenario, the person who brought her harm to justice. We only want the same thing for Tamika. Is this too much to ask?

Rebkah Howard
Miami, Fla.

http://www.kentuckylaketimes.com/lo...**/09100403.php (http://www.kentuckylaketimes.com/localnews/sept04/tamika/09100403.php)

Kelly
09-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Tamika Huston Included in Project Jason's Adopt a Missing Person's Program
Nebraska-based Non-Profit Organization Helps to Raise Awareness of Missing Persons Throughout the United States

September 16, 2004/Spartanburg, SC - Over a thousand miles away, a teenage girl wears a photo button on her backpack. The photo is of a missing young woman whom she never even met. She does not know the family either, but she does know that she wants to help them, and wearing the button does this. People ask her who the woman is and why she displays her photo. She gladly tells them.

Tamika Huston, 24, of Spartanburg, SC, is now part of a nationwide missing person's location program called Adopt a Missing Person. Her photo is the one that adorns the button of the teenage girl, who chose to adopt Tamika from among several other missing persons.

Project Jason, a nonprofit organization that assists families of the missing, began this unique awareness program this summer. Families of missing persons send photo buttons and an information card to the Nebraska-based organization. The public can visit www.projectjason.org and chose a person to adopt. They are sent the button, free of charge, and a copy of the information sheet. The adopter pledges to wear the button and tell others about their adopted missing person as often as possible. The information sheet provides them with a biography and some personal information so that they feel they know that individual as a person, rather than as a case number or an unfortunate statistic.

Wearing the button and sharing the story of Tamika helps bring exposure for her case. The more often her face is seen, the greater the odds increase for location, and the reunion that her family dreams of. Often, in missing persons cases, once law enforcement has sifted through the available clues, and there are none forthcoming, the family is only left with trying to spread awareness and hope. The Adopt a Missing Person program helps to bring about awareness for their missing love one, plus gives them that much needed boost of hope that helps them go on another day.

About the Case

Tamika Huston has been missing since on or around June 2nd from the Spartanburg, SC area. She has a large and extensive network of family and friends all along the Eastern seaboard but no one has heard from her. Tamika is an avid animal lover and her beloved dog Macy was left alone in the home Tamika owned to give birth to a litter of pups. Tamika's car, a 1991 black Honda CRX, was recovered in Spartanburg on June 20th. It had apparently been abandoned for approximately the same amount of time Tamika had been missing. Her family has posted a $10,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts. They are anxiously waiting for her to come home.

For additional information about Project Jason and the Adopt a Missing Person Program, please contact Kelly Jolkowski at kelly.jolkowski@projectjason.org.

Adopt a Missing Person webpage: http://www.projectjason.org/adopt.html

For additional information regarding Tamika's case, please contact Rebkah Howard at rebkah@gordonreyes.com or call 305-381-8831.

Tamika's website can be found at http://www.tamikahuston.com/

gardenmom
09-20-2004, 04:21 AM
Some really good questions have been brought up about why this young woman has not had adequate media coverage. I think it's the pretty, well off white women and children who get the coverage. The males, and ethnic women do not get coverage because the media don't think they will get ratings. How do we stop this? On one hand I am angry, and on the other hand if America was shown all missing persons at every news hour we would be shocked. I don't think people realize just how many people are missing. What about a magazine with missing people? Do you think it would sell? Nothing but missing people, sponsered by big name products. How about devoting a Sunday section of the local newspapers with local missing people? What about missing person's catalogs in doctors offices, airport terminals, on airplanes themselves, at bus depots? Aren't there things we can do?
I think all of you who are devoting yourselves to help families of missing people are so special. Some of you are going through this yourselves and I can't imagine how hard it is for you, and yet here you are. I am in awe...

Kelly
09-21-2004, 12:02 PM
http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/09/20/2004092039656.htm

Group spreads word about missing Spartanburg woman
Posted Monday, September 20, 2004 - 7:45 pm

By Nan Lundeen
STAFF WRITER
nlundeen@greenvillenews.com

SPARTANBURG – Spartanburg Public Safety officials said they have exhausted all leads in searching for resident Tamika Huston, but her family has a new source of hope.
Project Jason — Adopt a Missing Person Program – is spreading the word about the 24-year-old Huston who hasn't been seen by family members since the end of May.

Kelly Jolkowski, president and founder of the Omaha, Neb.-based Project Jason, said, "If it gives the family a sense of hope, which they deserve to have, then that is very important to us."

The nonprofit organization is named after Jolkowski's son who disappeared three years ago at age 19.

By contacting the Web site, www.projectjason.org, people can order buttons that they can wear showing a picture of the missing person, his or her Web site and a police phone number to call to report information that could be helpful.

"It is important for people to keep looking and to keep their eyes out," Jolkowski said.

Huston's family is offering a $10,000 reward for information on Huston's whereabouts.

Spartanburg Public Safety Capt. Randy C. Hardy characterized Huston's disappearance as suspicious.

Officers found uncashed paychecks and her much-loved dog at her Harvard Street home June 16. Residents of Spartanburg's Barksdale apartments found her car June 20.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Spartanburg Department of Public Safety at 864-596-2035 or CrimeStoppers in Spartanburg at 864-58-CRIME.

fourboys
10-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Tamika Huston Disappearance To Get National Attention
"America's Most Wanted" Crew Filming Segment In Spartanburg

October 22, 2004

SPARTANBURG -- A camera crew at the Spartanburg Public Safety office is hardly unusual, but the crew filming investigators Thursday will bring a Spartanburg woman's disappearance to a national audience.

"America's Most Wanted" filmed a segment about the disappearance of Tamika Huston for an early November show.

On June 14, family members reported Huston, 24, missing from 102 Harvard Drive. Investigators said they had determined that Huston was last seen approximately two to three weeks before she was reported missing.

Her car was found abandoned at an apartment complex almost a week later.

"We hope that Tamika or someone who knows about Tamika outside of Spartanburg or our local viewing area that will see this program will give us a call and we can solve this case," Lt. Steve Lamb said.

The AMW crew filmed Huston's impounded car and talked with investigators.

"They asked a lot of detail questions, trying to get the best information they can in the short amount of time they can broadcast," Lamb said.

AMW also spoke with Huston's father and aunt, who said she's glad to see the case get national exposure.

"It's been so long. You know she could be anywhere. So, it's so important to reach a nationwide audience, which you know "America's Most Wanted" is allowing us to do. So it's very important to us," she said.

A $10,000 reward has been offered for information that leads to Huston's discovery.
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/3841602/detail.html

Kelly
12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/12/08/2004120854642.htm

Foundation adds support to Huston search
Posted Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 8:34 pm

By John Boyanoski
STAFF WRITER
jboyan@greenvillenews.com

Tamika Huston's disappearance from Spartanburg in June has attracted attention from another national missing persons group.
The KlaasKids Foundation will meet with Spartanburg law enforcement and help in a fund-raising event to help locate Huston, 24, who was reported missing June 14.

Brad Dennis, KlaasKids director of search operations, is also slated to speak at a Washington event for Huston Dec. 11, her 25th birthday. KlaasKids officials expect to meet with Spartanburg investigators on Dec. 13.

KlaasKids was founded in 1994 after the murder of Polly Klaas, a 12-year-old whose kidnapping from a suburban California home gained national attention. The agency is dedicated to preventing crimes against children.

Huston was last seen by family members in May. Officers found her cell phone, driver's license, uncashed paychecks and her much-loved pit bull at her Harvard Street home June 16. Residents of Spartanburg's Barksdale apartments found her car June 20.

Residents told police it had been there about three weeks, but reported it to police only after hearing of Huston's disappearance.

Huston's family is offering a $10,000 reward for information on Huston's whereabouts. Spartanburg Public Safety has characterized Huston's disappearance as suspicious.

Family members have described Huston is a talented singer, and an independent woman who loved her large family.

"It's been a very difficult six months," said Rebkah Howard, an aunt.

Another missing persons group, Project Jason, also took up Huston's case in September. Through that agency, supporters can order lapel buttons with a picture of her on them, website information and a telephone number to report information.

America's Most Wanted and CourtTV have also posted information about Huston's disappearance on their websites. America's Most Wanted is planning to air an episode on the case in January.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Spartanburg Department of Public Safety at 864-596-2035 or CrimeStoppers in Spartanburg at 864-58-CRIME.

Kelly
12-23-2004, 12:47 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Washington, DC/December 23, 2004-The family of Tamika Antonette Huston, missing since June 2004 from Spartanburg, SC, has announced that they are raising the reward for credible information leading to her whereabouts to $20,000. They are hoping that the reward offered will encourage someone with knowledge of Tamika's disappearance to finally come forward and put an end to what has been a prolonged nightmare for Tamika's family and friends.

“Facing Christmas for the first time without Tamika is unbearable. Her absence - particularly at this time of the year when Tamika loved being with her family - has left an incredible void in our lives. We know that someone knows something about her disappearance. We beg you to finally come forward - if not only for the financial gain, for the satisfaction of knowing that you will be helping to put our hearts and minds at ease,” says Gabriella Simenehe, mother of Tamika Huston.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Spartanburg Public Safety Department at 864.596.2065 or Spartanburg Crimesolvers at 864.58.CRIME.

Please visit www.tamika.info or www.tamikahuston.com for more details about Tamika's disappearance.

WasBlind
01-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Praying for Tamika, Lanie

Pandora
02-19-2005, 03:35 PM
New leads have surfaced in Tamika's case.

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4212829/detail.html

amandab
02-21-2005, 02:23 PM
From the above article:

"Spartanburg Public Safety officials said Friday that forensic evidence found in January at a possible crime scene has been confirmed as belonging to Tamika Huston.

Detectives would not say what sort of evidence was found, but sources close to the investigation told WYFF News 4's Kelly Coakley that the evidence was blood found in a man's former apartment. The man's name has not been released.

Court documents show that the man being questioned rented a steam cleaner less than a week after Huston's disappearance, saying he was trying to get condiments like ketchup and mayonaise out of the carpet."

Oh, this doesn't look good....prayers for the location of Tamika......

-Amanda

Kelly
03-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Washington, DC/March 2, 2005 - The Fox Television program, America's Most Wanted, will air a segment on Tamika Antonette Huston, the young woman who has been missing from Spartanburg, South Carolina since late May of 2004. The program will air this Saturday, March 5th on the Fox Network at 9pm Eastern & Pacific/8pm Central (check local listings).

Tamika Antonette Huston, 25, was last seen on or around May 24th in Spartanburg, SC. Her vehicle was later found abandoned at a Spartanburg housing complex on June 20th. Recently, the Spartanburg Public Safety Department announced that forensic evidence connected to Tamika Huston was found at an apartment formerly occupied by an acquaintance of the missing young woman. The police are continuing their investigation into the matter and to date, no arrests have been made.

The family of Tamika Huston is offering a $20,000 reward for any credible information leading to her whereabouts.

For information regarding America's Most Wanted, please call 1-800-CRIME-TV.

Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to call the Spartanburg Public Safety Department at 864.596.2065 or Crimestoppers at 864.58.CRIME.

Please visit www.tamika.info or www.tamikahuston.com.

Kelly
03-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Press Release from the Family:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Miami, FL/March 15, 2005 - The family of Tamika Antonette Huston, missing from Spartanburg, SC since late May 2004, is once again raising the reward for credible information leading to the young woman's whereabouts to $30,000.

“Despite the results from this past weekend's search, we are so grateful for the efforts of the Spartanburg Public Safety Department and the volunteers from KlaasKids in trying to locate our Tamika. We are just trying to do our part by offering additional incentive for anyone with information regarding where she may be to finally come forward and help to bring our unimaginable nightmare to some sort of closure,” states Gabriella Simenehe, Tamika's mother.

Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to call the Spartanburg Public Safety Department at 864.596.2065, CrimeStoppers at 864.58.CRIME or America's Most Wanted at 1-800-CRIME-TV.

For more details, please visit www.tamika.info or www.tamikahuston.com.

CaliKid
03-22-2005, 04:14 AM
I saw the AMW segment. If I remember correctly, the man who was acquainted with Tamika has vanished, right? I hope he's located soon and her body found.

Meech
03-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Praying for Tamika Huston & Family
May God Bless!

mysteriew
05-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Commentary: If a Runaway Bride Can Get National Attention, Why Can’t Tamika Huston's Disappearance?

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/bawcommentary/mathis502

Sheromom
05-03-2005, 03:34 AM
What a beautiful young woman. I do hope they are able to give the family some conclusive news soon.

Kelly
05-10-2005, 09:12 PM
NPR's Radio's News & Notes with Ed Gordon show featured missing Tamika Huston on a segment that explores media bias in missing person's case.

Tamika's aunt talks about this issue, as she has fought for national attention for her niece since she disappeared in June of 2004.

Kelly Jolkowski founder of Project Jason, and mother of missing Jason Jolkowski, also makes comments about bias towards male and minority cases.

You can listen to the broadcast by clicking on "Listen" at the top of the page.

Ed Gordon Show (http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=11)

Ed Gordon is an Emmy-award winning journalist, and a contributor to 60 Minutes. He previously reported for the Today Show and Dateline NBC

jodierenee
05-31-2005, 10:52 AM
it's been about a year since she disappeared...

bumping this thread...

hope she is found soon.

Pandora
06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Here are the latest news stories about Tamika. While there is nothing really new in them, I am "glad" that the news media is making some kind of effort to keep her face "out there."
God bless her family....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-15-missing-minorities_x.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/17/earlyshow/living/main702549.shtml

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3486109&nav=2KPpb8iM

mysteriew
06-24-2005, 09:45 PM
The aunt of Tamika Huston has tried — in vain — to bring sustained national media attention to the search for her niece for more than a year. And at this point, she and her family just want closure, no matter the outcome.

"I never thought that it would go on this long," said Rebkah Howard, a Florida-based public relations executive.

"Law enforcements officials have received new clues recently and anyone in law enforcement will tell that that any media attention generates new clues," Howard said. "But it's also frustrating. You can't help but think that maybe if we'd received this kind of attention earlier, it might have helped."

Spartanburg Public Safety Department officials say they have received new leads from the recent coverage of Huston's case.

"It continues to be an active investigation that we have officers working on every day," said Lt. Steve Lamb.

Police say they have a person of interest in custody but they do not have enough evidence to charge him. The potential suspect — whose name they have not released — met and started dating Huston shortly before her disappearance, Lamb said.

Investigators had talked to the acquaintance throughout their investigation and began considering him a person of interest when they uncovered blood matching Huston's DNA at the man's former residence in January. The acquaintance is being held by authorities for an unrelated federal probation violation and could be released in August.

"We're continuing to work several multiple leads. The person of interest is someone we had talked to, but we can't discuss charges at this point." Lamb said. "The family has been a great asset to the investigation in generating media attention locally and nationally."

"At some point, you sort of lose hope," Howard said. "You don't expect anything good coming out of it. If they find Tamika, we just want to lay her to rest respectfully and with dignity. You have to hope that whoever did this to Tamika is held responsible and brought to justice."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=875330&page=1

Kelly
07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
A segment about Tamika is scheduled to air on the Nancy Grace Show on CNN on Monday, July 4th at 8pm EST. (subject to schedule change)

Kelly

Keona
07-11-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't know why they skip over cases involving black victims as if blacks have no value in this world.

I don't condemn them for covering the whites (Hollaway, Ramsey, Lunsford, Runnion, Van Dam). All of them were (are) important to us but come on now black victims should be just as important:(

Jeana (DP)
07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't know why they skip over cases involving black victims as if blacks have no value in this world.

I don't condemn them for covering the whites (Hollaway, Ramsey, Lunsford, Runnion, Van Dam). All of them were (are) important to us but come on now black victims should be just as important:(

We agree darlin. You're preaching to the choir. What steps have you taken in asking the media about your concerns and was there any response?

Keona
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
My articles have been published at the Miami Herald and I've contacted every national news organization. Like EVERYBODY, they "agree" but don't care.

Well atleast I gave those kids publicity in Miami.

I also have sites: www.geocities.com/missingblackkids (http://www.geocities.com/missingblackkids) and www.geocities.com/murderedbabies (http://www.geocities.com/murderedbabies)

I assume you asked that because you didn't think I had done anything. I proved you wrong didn't I?

Jeana (DP)
07-11-2005, 05:39 PM
My articles have been published at the Miami Herald and I've contacted every national news organization. Like EVERYBODY, they "agree" but don't care.

Well atleast I gave those kids publicity in Miami.

I also have sites: www.geocities.com/missingblackkids (http://www.geocities.com/missingblackkids) and www.geocities.com/murderedbabies (http://www.geocities.com/murderedbabies)

I assume you asked that because you didn't think I had done anything. I proved you wrong didn't I?

Don't assume sweetie, I just asked a question because I'm no mindreader. I think anything that can be done to bring attention to any missing person should be done. Considering that my little sister was missing for 11 years, I appreciate all that anyone would do for these people and their loved ones.

Keona
07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
What's your sister's name? I like doing research on these cases. I hope you don't mind me asking.

Jeana (DP)
07-11-2005, 05:42 PM
What's your sister's name? I like doing research on these cases. I hope you don't mind me asking.

Thanks, but no. Her remains were found after 11 years and I've got investigators working on it.

Please do continue your work for the other families though. I'm sure they appreciate it more than you know.

Keona
07-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Whooooaa, okay. Did not know that would be a problem. Hmm ok.

jaybird
07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=Jeana (DP)]Thanks, but no. Her remains were found after 11 years and I've got investigators working on it.

Jeana, I'm sorry about your sister. I hope you find out all you're looking for.

Jeana (DP)
07-11-2005, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Jeana (DP)]Thanks, but no. Her remains were found after 11 years and I've got investigators working on it.

Jeana, I'm sorry about your sister. I hope you find out all you're looking for.

Thanks so much darlin!!!! I appreciate it very much.

Kelly
07-11-2005, 08:02 PM
News Link (http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200507\NAT2005 0711b.html)

Project Jason Gives Help, Hope to Missing Persons' Families

By Dawn Rizzoni

CNSNews.com Correspondent
July 11, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Some missing persons cases, such as those involving Shasta and Dylan Groene and "runaway bride" Jennifer Wilbanks, have received extensive media coverage. But the disappearances of thousands of other people get little attention, and their loved ones receive little help and hope.

"Awareness of a missing person is often key to resolution of these cases," Kelly Jolkowski, founder and president of Project Jason, a non-profit organization focusing on the vast majority of missing persons cases that get little or no attention.

"The more often a missing loved one's face is seen, the greater the odds of location and reunion," Jolkowski said.

According to FBI statistics, 47,589 people have been listed as missing since May 1, although Jolkowski said such statistics are unreliable due to a large number of unreported incidents.

Since its inception in October of 2003, Project Jason has developed several methods to aid in finding missing persons, including "Adopt a Missing Person" and "18-Wheel Angels."

In the Adopt a Missing Person program, individuals of all ages send away for free literature, buttons, fliers and posters related to a particular missing person.

Participants then hand out the posters and fliers, wear buttons with photos of their adopted person and distribute information about the disappearance. To date, 1,156 "adoptions" of missing people have been made.

Another program is 18-Wheel Angels, in which truck drivers volunteer their time and resources to help locate a missing loved one. The drivers print out a featured poster from Project Jason's website (which changes posters every other month) and post them along their routes.

Dozens of families have benefited from Jolkowski's efforts, including the family of 24-year old Tamika Huston, who vanished from Spartanburg, S.C., a year ago.

"I spent many frustrated days and nights trying to contact national media regarding Tamika's disappearance," said her aunt, Rebkah Howard. "I felt as though it was imperative that her story be known as far and wide as possible in order to increase the chances of her coming home safely to us."

Howard contacted Project Jason for help. Jolkowski "listened and helped when so many others were simply not interested," Howard said. "She provided guidance and support and made extraordinary efforts to post Tamika's photo and information on various websites that feature the missing."

Tamika was also included in the Adopt a Missing Person program. "My sister, Tamika's mother, was particularly touched by the kindness of the strangers who would 'adopt' her daughter and keep her story alive by doing something as simple as wearing a pin bearing her photo," Howard said.

She added that Project Jason fills the gap that is left by lack of attention by national media. "There are thousands of missing persons in this country," Howard said. "The majority of them do not have the benefit of round-the-clock coverage on the various networks.

"Project Jason is there to serve all of these individuals and their families who are so desperate to find them. I find this to be amazing work for the mother of a young man who still remains missing to this day," she added.

Jolkowski's son Jason went missing at 19 years of age on June 13, 2001, from the family's driveway in Omaha, Neb., but Jason's story has attracted none of the national media attention that has been focused on other cases.

Jolkowski and Nebraska State Sen. Pat Bourne, were instrumental in getting Jason's Law passed -- a bill to create a statewide clearinghouse of information on missing persons and provide training and education to law enforcement officials.

To date, no individuals have been found through the project, but Jolkowski said she doesn't measure success by the number of people located. Instead, she said it is based on "how it makes the families of our missing loved ones feel when they know that others are now helping them.

"Many times in these cases, after law enforcement has sifted through the clues, and there are no more leads to follow, what is left is awareness and hope," she said. "Those are the sustaining gifts we provide to the families we service."

mysteriew
07-30-2005, 05:46 PM
New information about the disappearance of Tamika Huston. Earlier Friday, her family met in private with investigators and the Solicitor about the case.

FOX Carolina’s Jamie Guirola reports, Friday’s meeting, including family members from as far as Miami, is being kept somewhat of a secret. The only thing we were told was the family got an update on the case.
http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3659859&nav=2KPpckmF

mysteriew
07-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Many of Tamika's relatives live out of town, including her mother.

Because of that, the family said Spartanburg Public Safety met with eight relatives Friday to answer questions and discuss the direction of the case.

This is the first time Tamika's mother has talked publicly since she went missing last July.

Detectives discussed various search efforts, locations and evidence with Tamika's family during the meeting.

"It was a very difficult time for me yesterday to have to hear all that information, but it was good for me to hear that," said Simenehe.

Rebkah Howard, Tamika's aunt, said the family also learned more about the person of interest in the case.

"What was most disturbing to me was the amount of false statements that the person of interest in this case has made," said Howard. "I think it's clearly an effort to mislead investigators. To stall the investigation." http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4790468/detail.html

Kelly
08-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Press Release from the Family:

"Family of Missing Spartanburg Woman, Tamika Huston,
Raises Reward to $50,000 for Information
Leading to Her Whereabouts

Miami, FL/August 3, 2005 – 24 year old Tamika Huston was last seen by family and friends on or around May 27, 2004 in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Police began an intensive investigation into her disappearance which continues until this day.

The investigation’s biggest break came on February 1, 2005 when the Spartanburg Public Safety Department announced that blood evidence found in an apartment unit located at the Fremont School Apartment complex in Spartanburg matched Tamika Huston’s DNA. The apartment’s former tenant is nearing the end of a seven month stay in a federal penitentiary for unrelated parole violations. He is scheduled to be released on August 12th.

To aid in police efforts to gather valid tips from the public, the family is once again raising the reward to $50,000 in the hopes that someone will finally come forward with valuable and credible information leading to Tamika Huston’s whereabouts.

The Spartanburg Public Safety Department is asking that anyone who may have information regarding Tamika’s disappearance, please call (864) 596-2035 or CRIMESTOPPERS at (864) 58-CRIME.

For more information about the case and photos, please visit www.tamikahuston.com."

Please note that Tamika's story will be featured on Dateline this Friday evening.

fourboys
08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Person of Interest in Custody in Tamika Huston Case
Set for Release as Family Raises Reward

By BRYAN ROBINSON
Aug. 9, 2005

A person of interest in the investigation into the disappearance of a South Carolina woman could be released from custody on unrelated charges by the end of this week, and the woman's family has raised a reward in hopes of generating more clues.

Tamika Huston, 24 at the time of her disappearance, was last seen June 2, 2004, at a friend's house in South Carolina. Because she lived alone, relatives did not realize she was missing until June 14.

A person of interest has been held in jail for an unrelated federal probation violation but authorities have not had enough evidence to charge him in Huston's disappearance. The man — whose name has not been released — is scheduled to be released August 12 when he finishes serving his time for the violation. Huston's relatives have raised the reward for information on her whereabouts from $30,000 to $50,000 in hopes of buffering the case against the person of interest and formally bringing criminal charges against him.

"We met with the police and the solicitor who would prosecute the case and they brought us up to speed on where they stood," said Rebkah Howard, Huston's aunt. "They gave us a pretty lengthy presentation on what they done in the investigation from day one to that day [the day of the meeting]. We are just hoping that the reward will help in getting any information on her whereabouts in anticipation of the person of interest getting out of prison. But we have confidence the investigation is moving in the right direction."

Man Dated Huston

The man met and started dating Huston shortly before her disappearance, authorities said. Investigators had talked to the acquaintance throughout their investigation and began considering him a person of interest when they uncovered blood matching Huston's DNA at the man's former residence in January.

Spartanburg Public Safety Department officials would not comment on whether they planned to formally charge the person of interest. They say they have received sporadic new leads throughout the investigation and are continuing to follow various clues.

"There's no new information that we're releasing at this time. It's still on ongoing investigation," said Lt. Steve Lamb. "We're working on it every day in different areas We're sending out dog teams to various areas."

It took some time for family members to realize Huston was missing because she was single, lived alone and had recently quit her job as a waitress. Police found Huston's cell phone, three uncashed checks and her driver's license when they searched her home. Her pregnant pet pit bull Macy — who friends and relatives say Huston treated like a child — had given birth and eaten most of her puppies. Huston's car was found a week after she was reported missing, parked at an apartment complex.

Huston's relatives have said she was happy before she disappeared and would not have just run away. They said it wasn't unusual for her to spontaneously visit relatives and extended family in Florida and along the East Coast, but she would always tell someone where she was going.

Huston's family is confident that authorities are working hard to gather as much evidence as possible in their quest to find Tamika and build a case against the man — if he is the person responsible for her fate.

"We know they want to gather as much information as they possibly can," said Howard. "I think they're weighing the rewards versus the risks of waiting until after the person of interest is released to charge him — whether he will flee, whether he will make a mistake and trip himself up. Some may be concerned over whether he could harm someone else. This could be their one shot at trying him."

Family Hopes for the Best, Braces for the Worst

Relatives want Huston to be found alive. But the blood evidence recovered in January and the time that has passed since Huston's disappearance have braced family members for the worst news and they just want a resolution to the case.

"Just riding through the areas where police have searched and thinking that Tamika is someplace out there … it's been emotionally draining," Howard said. "It's been extremely difficult. I think Tamika's mother at this point just wants to be able to lay her daughter to rest respectfully, if she can. You still have hope that one that Tamika will turn up and turn up alive, but we really don't see that at this point."

The Spartanburg Department of Public Safety asks that anyone who has information regarding Huston's disappearance contact investigators at (864) 596-2035 or CrimeStoppers at (864) 58-CRIME. More information about the search for Huston can be found at www.tamikahuston.com (http://www.tamikahuston.com), a Web site set up by her friends and relatives.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1011579&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Jenn
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Thank goodness someone is finally going to be held responsible! :clap:

PrayersForMaura
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Not only am I very very sad for Tamika but for her dog, too. In the article above, it said her pregnant pit bull had given birth and eaten most of her puppies. The poor doggies were probably hungry and Tamika treated her dog like a child ... she would be so sad to learn her dog was hungry, left alone and missing her, I'm sure.

Why do these boyfriends, husbands and significant others keep killing these women? These crimes need to be punished serverely!
I can't believe all these stories that keep surfacing. It's terrible.
What has the human race resorted to?
It's very, very sad.
:(

mysteriew
08-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Thank goodness someone is finally going to be held responsible! :clap:

As of right now no one is being held responsible. They have suspected this guy for some time, however they don't have the evidence they need to arrest.
He is being released from incarceration because he served his time on other charges, and there is no indication at this time that he will be arrested for the murder.

lisag
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I really hope the police are able to move forward in this investigation and find out the answers that her family DESERVES to know.. I pray Tamika receives some justice, soon !

fourboys
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
The Spartanburg Public Safety Department

NEWS RELEASE

Press Conference Regarding The Tamika Huston Case

SPARTANBURG, S. C. (August 12, 2005) The Spartanburg Public Safety Department has been investigating the disappearance of Ms. Tamika Huston since June 14, 2004. On today’s date August 12, 2005 the Spartanburg Public Safety Department will be holding a Press Conference at 4:00 pm at the Public Safety Service Center located behind City Hall. This Press Conference is being held in an effort to give an update into the recent developments in this case

mysteriew
08-12-2005, 03:33 PM
The Spartanburg Public Safety Department

NEWS RELEASE

Press Conference Regarding The Tamika Huston Case

SPARTANBURG, S. C. (August 12, 2005) The Spartanburg Public Safety Department has been investigating the disappearance of Ms. Tamika Huston since June 14, 2004. On today’s date August 12, 2005 the Spartanburg Public Safety Department will be holding a Press Conference at 4:00 pm at the Public Safety Service Center located behind City Hall. This Press Conference is being held in an effort to give an update into the recent developments in this case

Think maybe they finally arrested the suspect?

fourboys
08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Man Charged In Disappearance Of Tamika Huston
Woman Reported Missing In June 2004

UPDATED: August 12, 2005

SPARTANBURG -- New information in the case of a Spartanburg woman who disappeared last year has come to light Friday afternoon.

Spartanburg Public Safety Director Tony Fisher said that Christopher Lemont Hampton has been charged with murder. Fisher said recently uncovered forensic evidence indicated that Hampton was responsible for killing Huston.

Huston, 24, went missing in June 2004. Her car was found abandoned at an apartment complex a week later.

In March, Spartanburg Public Safety officials said that they had identified a "person of interest" in the case. At the time, investigators said the man, a former bank robber, was related to a Spartanburg apartment building where authorities found traces of Huston's blood in January.

Investigators said a set of keys found in Huston's car led them to the apartment building.

Fisher said that Hampton and Huston were friends at some point, but could not say if they had been dating.

Huston's case has received national attention from "America's Most Wanted" and "Dateline".

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4844268/detail.html

fourboys
08-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Statement from Tamika Huston’s Family

Friday, August 12, 2005

Our family would first like to thank the Spartanburg Public Safety Department for their commitment to investigating the disappearance of our beloved daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, and cousin, Tamika Antonette Huston. The Department has spent tireless hours on her case over the course of the past year and for that, we are most grateful.

For our family, this day brings us both tremendous sadness and some sense of relief. While trying to come to terms with the fact that our Tamika will not return to us, we find comfort in knowing the person responsible for this most personal tragedy is being brought to justice.

We are sure those of you who knew Tamika agree that she was an angel sent to us for far too little time. For those of you who never met her, we hope her loving spirit has been revealed to you through her photos and through the words of her family and friends who love her so much.

Finally, we would like to thank the public for all their prayers and support. Your continued prayers and support are appreciated as our journey is still not over.

The Family of Tamika A. Huston

Jenn
08-12-2005, 05:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For lack of better words

fourboys
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
STATEMENT OF DIRECTOR A. TONY FISHER

On June 14, 2004, members of Tamika Huston’s family contacted the Spartanburg Public Safety Department. The family was concerned about Ms. Huston’s whereabouts and filed a missing person report. At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Huston was living on Harvard Drive in the city of Spartanburg. Huston was 24 years old.

Several days after the initial contact from Ms. Huston’s family, officers found her black Honda CRX at Barksdale Apartments, 350 Pierpont Avenue in Spartanburg.
The vehicle was abandoned at this location around the time of Ms. Huston’s disappearance.

The initial investigation did not reveal concrete evidence that would suggest that Tamika was the victim of foul play however there were a number of suspicious circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

Throughout the course of this investigation, several persons of interest were identified and subsequently interviewed. As evidence and information was uncovered we were able to develop suspects in this case.

In mid February of this year, we announced the discovery of forensic evidence, which consisted of blood. This evidence was located in an apartment at Fremont School Apartments. Christopher Lemont Hampton previously occupied this apartment. Hampton was an acquaintance of Ms. Huston and was one of the last people to be in Ms. Huston’s presence. This discovery confirmed suspicions of foul play.

Since the initial report, we have continued the investigation of Ms. Huston’s disappearance and have utilized local, state and national resources to locate Ms. Huston and to discover facts of this case. We have been very fortunate to have the resources of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), The Klaas Kids Foundation as well as cadaver dog teams who traveled from various east coast locations to assist in the search for Ms. Huston.

We recently, uncovered additional forensic evidence in this case. With this evidence we are comfortable in proceeding with criminal charges for the murder of Tamika Antonette Huston. This additional evidence supports our belief that Christopher Lemont Hampton is responsible for the death of Ms. Huston.

mysteriew
08-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Police today charged a former boyfriend of a South Carolina woman who has been missing for more than a year with murder in her disappearance.

The body of Tamika Huston has not been found but police in Spartanburg, S.C., believe they had enough evidence to charge Christopher Lamont Hampton with murder.

"We are confident that recent recovered evidence proves that Christopher Lamont Hampton is responsible for Tamika Huston's death and are therefore charging him with murder," Spartanburg Public Safety Department Director Tony Fisher said at a press conference today.

Hampton had been held on an unrelated federal probation violation and was scheduled to be released today. But he will remain in custody as he faces murder charges. Investigators said they had talked to Hampton throughout their investigation and began considering him a person of interest in the case when they uncovered blood matching Huston's DNA at his former residence in January.

Police said their investigation will continue and that they are determined to find Huston's body. In an unrelated case, police have also charged Hampton with sexual misconduct against a 15-year-old girl. Police collected evidence for that case during the Huston investigation and say the charge is unrelated to the missing South Carolina woman's presumed slaying.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=1032722

mysteriew
08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
STATEMENT OF DIRECTOR A. TONY FISHER

In mid February of this year, we announced the discovery of forensic evidence, which consisted of blood. This evidence was located in an apartment at Fremont School Apartments. Christopher Lemont Hampton previously occupied this apartment. Hampton was an acquaintance of Ms. Huston and was one of the last people to be in Ms. Huston’s presence. This discovery confirmed suspicions of foul play.

We recently, uncovered additional forensic evidence in this case. With this evidence we are comfortable in proceeding with criminal charges for the murder of Tamika Antonette Huston. This additional evidence supports our belief that Christopher Lemont Hampton is responsible for the death of Ms. Huston.

I wonder what additional forensic evidence they have found? They had already discussed the blood found in the apt, so it is something else.

Runningwild
08-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I think they said on Nancy Grace show tonight, the police believe they found her body. That they were digging somewhere. I was watching her show and it went to a commercial and never came back on, but I'm quite sure that's what I heard.

mysteriew
08-13-2005, 12:13 AM
I think they said on Nancy Grace show tonight, the police believe they found her body. That they were digging somewhere. I was watching her show and it went to a commercial and never came back on, but I'm quite sure that's what I heard.

Oh, I hope so!

mysteriew
08-13-2005, 05:58 PM
More than a year after her disappearance, a man has been charged in connection with missing woman Tamika Huston, and remains that might be hers have been found.

Friday afternoon, Public Safety Director Tony Fisher said that Christopher Lemont Hampton, 25, has been charged with murder. Fisher said recently uncovered forensic evidence indicated that Hampton was responsible for Huston's death.

Court documents show police found brass knuckles, traces of Huston's blood and keys matching Huston’s inside Hampton's apartment.

During questioning Friday, Hampton led investigators to an area near a Duncan industrial park, where human skeletal remains were found.

"We're not sure why he decided to make a statement and bring us to this location. We're just thankful that he did," Fisher said.
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4844153/detail.html

Kelly
08-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I wrote on our blog about how Tamika's life intertwined with our own and what meaning and impact it had on our cause.

http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

May God rest her soul and give her family the strength to get through this.

Kelly

Gabby
08-14-2005, 09:58 AM
May God be with Tamika's family and friends during this period... As difficult as the last year has been, this had to be so much more so.. As Kelly said on her blog... All hope is dashed that she will be coming home... but she is HOME with our Lord...and she is watching over her loved ones -- May she have peace.

mysteriew
08-14-2005, 12:43 PM
A convicted bank robber led police to a set of skeletal remains believed to be those of Tamika Huston, a woman he once dated who had been missing for over a year.

Authorities hope to have the remains identified in the coming week.
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/nation/12378782.htm

mysteriew
08-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Fisher declined to go into further detail about any statements Hampton has given authorities. While Fisher would not answer questions about the new evidence, sources familiar with the investigation said police found blood traces among Hampton’s personal possessions that match Huston’s DNA.

In February, police found bloodstains that matched Huston’s DNA in an apartment Hampton once lived in. A key to the apartment also was found in Huston’s car. Hampton was among the last people known to have seen Huston, 24, Fisher said.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/business/12379422.htm

sleuthlover35
08-15-2005, 04:59 AM
hi i am new here i read at america's most wanted website that tamika remains was found in a wooded area along tyger river road in spartanburg sc a man named christopher hampton is being charged with her murder and is currently behind bars ina federal prison on a porbation violation he was charged aug 12 2005

sleuthlover35
08-15-2005, 05:02 AM
a man named christopher hampton is charged with murdering tamika sorry i dont know how to link can someone please tell me how i am pc dumb another one gone:mad: when is it gonna end?

mysteriew
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Police in Spartanburg, S.C., have charged a man with murdering Tamika Huston, a 24-year-old African-American woman who became the subject of a debate over whether national news organizations lack interest in missing people if they aren't young, pretty, white women.

Authorities also may have found Huston's body. The suspect, Christopher Hampton, 25, of Spartanburg, led investigators Friday to a wooded area in the city. Tests could determine as soon as today whether remains found there are Huston's.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-15-missing_x.htm

mysteriew
08-15-2005, 12:51 PM
a man named christopher hampton is charged with murdering tamika sorry i dont know how to link can someone please tell me how i am pc dumb another one gone:mad: when is it gonna end?

sleuthlover35 any time you want to post a link, you can go to the browser the article is in. click in the address bar to highlight the url. then right click and click on copy. then come back to websleuths reply box and right click choose paste and click. That will paste the address into WS. When you click on submit reply the address you pasted will show up as a link. Go ahead and try it, I will check back later and if your link is the same as mine I will delete mine.

mysteriew
08-16-2005, 11:53 PM
A man accused of killing a woman who has been missing for more than a year said he threw a hot iron at her during an argument about money, then buried her body in the woods.
In a jailhouse interview, Christopher Hampton told the Herald-Journal of Spartanburg that he panicked after the iron struck 24-year-old Tamika Huston in the head, killing her.

Hampton, 25, said he drove around with the body for hours before burying it.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050816-0210-brf-missingwoman.html

Hopeful
08-17-2005, 08:55 AM
OH my gosh! Can you imagine what this poor family has gone through? Not to mention this poor lady, right before she passed? My heart goes out to her family. May she rest in peace. Another victim due to violet crime. How can these men do this? I don't understand. Does it make them feel more powerful and macho to do this to a woman who doesn't have the strength to defend herself? Sad. Very Sad. :(

jannuncutt
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
If he threw an iron at her and she passed out, where did the blood come from?

PrayersForMaura
08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
If he threw an iron at her and she passed out, where did the blood come from?
Was the blood from her dog eating its babies??
I had read that about the dog and thought it was rather pitiful. If this was not his intention as he says (yeah, right) then why didn't he try to get her help and why did he leave her dog there alone? Both acts were very very cruel and inhumane, in my opinion.

jannuncutt
08-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Was the blood from her dog eating its babies??
I had read that about the dog and thought it was rather pitiful. If this was not his intention as he says (yeah, right) then why didn't he try to get her help and why did he leave her dog there alone? Both acts were very very cruel and inhumane, in my opinion.
The dog was left in her apartment. Her blood was found in his apartment.

cheko1
08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Lord only knows what all the sick creep did to her.......

May God have mercy on her & her family!

PrayersForMaura
08-17-2005, 01:56 PM
The dog was left in her apartment. Her blood was found in his apartment.
I'm sorry, I should've known that. I should've reread the stories.
Thanks for clarifying.

I think there was more to it than throwing a hot iron. And why was the iron hot anyway?

mysteriew
08-17-2005, 10:32 PM
More than a year of searching and waiting for answers may come to an end later this month.

An autopsy is expected to determine if skeletal remains found in a wooded area are the remains of Tamika Huston.

"They bear the characteristics of human remains. As for the exact idenity of those remains, again, that will have to be after analysis is completed in the laboratory," Capt. Billy Norris said.
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4852258/detail.html

Rebkah Howard said Hampton left out critical details about what happened inside his apartment the day Tamika died.

She said Hampton didn't just throw an iron in Tamika's direction like he told the paper, but used a hot iron to "go upside Tamika's head."

She said he then let her bleed to death.

Howard said Hampton demonstrated this to Spartanburg Public Safety investigators during a statement he made while in custody.

"He clearly banged an iron upside her head and killed her, and he clearly demonstrated this to police. They have him on video demonstrating this," Howard said.

She said Hampton told investigators that he left the apartment, hoping Tamika would wake up and leave. She said that when Hampton returned and found she was still there, he wrapped her body in a blanket and stuffed it into a closet.

Howard said Hampton never went back to the scene to dig Tamika up and turn himself in, as he has claimed.

"No, he dug Tamika up. He says he took her skull and then dumped it in a dumpster, and we'll probably never recover all of her remains because of that," she said.

It's information she said the family wanted to keep private out of respect for Tamika. But now that Hampton has gone public, she feels she must set the record straight.
http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4858915/detail.html

mysteriew
08-18-2005, 07:08 PM
More, new information in the Tamika Houston case, and you'll only read about it here. A teenager gets credit with breaking the case, well before Tamika's accused killer reportedly confessed.

FOX Carolina's Jamie Guirola reports, as much publicity this case gets, police here won't tell you about the teenager. But if there is a trial, she will very likely be a key witness.

We know now the exact day investigators believe Christopher Hampton killed Tamika. May 9, 2004: Mother's Day.

Hampton detailed the murder to a newspaper reporter but Tamika's family says Hampton intentionally left out more obscene details. Including sex with a 15-year-old he is now charged with. But that sex, according to Tamika's family, happened the same night after the murder and in the same room. Hampton is accused of hiding Tamika's body after he beat her to death with a hot iron.
http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3736093&nav=2KPpdSp8

mysteriew
08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Investigators believe bones found in Duncan belong to Tamika Huston but right now there is one legal snafu, they can't legally connect the remains to Tamika-- just yet.

FOX Carolina’s Jamie Guirola reports, so far, it appears a slam dunk case for detectives but there’s still one last piece of business to take care of-- and it may take a national expert to do it.
http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3736076&nav=2KPndSoi

mysteriew
08-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Authorities have refused to comment on whether Tamika Huston's head is among the remains murder suspect Christopher Hampton identified in a wooded area in Duncan last week.

Huston's aunt, Rebkah Howard, said earlier this week in an interview with WYFF News that Hampton, 25, told investigators he threw Huston's head in a dumpster.

Authorities, who finished processing the scene Thursday, have refused to confirm Howard's statements.

If Huston's head is missing from what authorities believe to be her remains, it may be much more difficult for investigators to determine the cause of her death.

"If you don't have that particular part of the body (where trauma occurred), it can be difficult (to determine a cause of death)," said Dr. Rick Snow, a forensic anthropologist for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation who has been brought in to help identify the remains and determine the cause of death.

Hampton said in an interview with the Herald-Journal Monday that he killed Huston by throwing a hot iron at her, striking her in the head.
http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050820/NEWS/508200316/1062

mysteriew
08-21-2005, 12:04 AM
A forensic anthropologist is working to determine if remains found in Duncan last week are those of a missing Spartanburg woman.

Snow would not say whether the skeletal remains were found intact or whether a skull was found with the rest of the remains.

Snow said he will section off the bone for DNA analysis, but said that will only prove is the victim's identity, not the cause of death.

Snow is the lead forensic anthropologist with the GBI. He is brought in when unidentified human remains are so badly decomposed that the medical examiner can't make an identification.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/12434569.htm

mysteriew
08-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Greg Snow of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation says he is piecing together bones found August 12th to determine if they belong to the 24-year-old Spartanburg woman missing since June of 2004. He says he should have an answer by the middle of next week.
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3746090&nav=0RaPdYrP

mysteriew
08-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Huston was a vibrant 24-year-old woman who loved her dog and tried out for "American Idol."

"She was a beautiful girl, so full of energy. She had a really, really bright spirit," Howard said.

But Howard, who works in public relations in Miami and serves as the family's spokeswoman, says she knew someone must have information that could break open the case. Relatives call newspapers and television stations relentlessly to get them to cover the story.

Finally, someone told police Huston had been dating Hampton. The family hadn't known of the relationship, said Spartanburg Public Safety Director Tony Fisher.

Investigators didn't get much out of Hampton initially, but a key ring found in Huston's car held a key to an apartment where Hampton once lived, Fisher said.

Officers found traces of Huston's blood in the apartment, but they still didn't have enough to charge Hampton until an examination of Hampton's belongings revealed more of her blood, Fisher said.

They're not sure when they can bury Huston, because the body won't be turned over until DNA tests legally prove the remains are Huston. The coroner's office said that could take weeks.
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/nation/12440734.htm

jannuncutt
08-22-2005, 04:40 PM
This is just horrific! Does anyone know if it was the 15 year-old girl that he had sex with who turned him in? These are truly horrible times that we are living in. :sick::sick:

mysteriew
08-23-2005, 12:51 AM
This is just horrific! Does anyone know if it was the 15 year-old girl that he had sex with who turned him in? These are truly horrible times that we are living in. :sick::sick:

From what I read in an earlier article, he didn't have sex with her. He raped her, and she has now filed charges against him. He raped her in the same room that he killed Tamika in. And you, according to what I have read, she went to LE with her story, and also gave them info on Tamika.

mysteriew
08-23-2005, 02:33 AM
A positive identification has been made on the human remains found off Highway 290 inDuncan, more than a week ago. The Spartanburg Coroner says the remains are in fact those of Tamika Huston. The 24 year old woman was reported missing in June 2004.
http://www.whns.com/Global/story.asp?S=3753089

mysteriew
08-23-2005, 02:35 AM
A positive identification has been made on the human remains found off Highway 290 inDuncan, more than a week ago. The Spartanburg Coroner says the remains are in fact those of Tamika Huston. The 24 year old woman was reported missing in June 2004.
http://www.whns.com/Global/story.asp?S=3753089

Spartanburg County Coroner Jim Burnett said Monday the remains were compared with Huston's dental records and a positive identification was made.
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050822/APN/508220913&cachetime=3&template=dateline

SewingDeb
08-23-2005, 08:17 AM
I guess they do have her head if dental records were compared as well as DNA.
Prayers for her family.

mysteriew
08-23-2005, 09:17 AM
It wouldn't be much comfort to them right now, but at least now they know, they can quit searching, and soon they can put her to rest. Someplace where they know where she is.

mysteriew
08-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Hampton, who is 25 years old, was arrested on Aug. 12 and is currently jailed in Spartanburg.

Howard's relief has since given way to stronger feelings.

"I'm angry and I'm still grieving," Howard said. "The heinousness of it is unbelievable."

Hampton told the reporter that he was ironing his clothes when Huston, who he had been dating for about two months, asked him for money. Hampton said that he told Huston he couldn't give it to her because he was saving money to help take care of a baby that he was expecting with another woman.

"She said, 'You care about the baby more than you care about me,'" Hampton told the reporter.

"I just got mad," Hampton said. "I just threw the iron. I didn't mean for it to hit her."

Rebkah Howard said that what Hampton told the journalist is different than what she was told he said to the police when he confessed to them. She said Spartanburg officers said that Hampton confessed to hitting Tamika Huston with the iron, not throwing it in her direction and inadvertently hitting her.

Now Rebkah Howard is becoming something else: a fearless advocate. She and her family are creating the Tamika Huston Foundation for Missing Persons to help families understand how to interact with the police and the media when loved ones are missing.

Because of her aunt's persistence, Tamika Huston was not forgotten. And hopefully, her death - as horrible and senseless as it was - won't be in vain.
http://www.al.com/opinion/huntsvilletimes/dperson.ssf?/base/opinion/1125047795228320.xml&coll=1

SewingDeb
02-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Heard on the news last night that they will not seek the death penalty in Tamika's murder.

michelle
02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I dont even kow how to respond to this stuff anymore other then to say, my prayers are with the families. Its so sad. I hope they get Justice.

Kelly
03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Press release from the family:

Trial for Man Accused of Killing Tamika Huston Scheduled to Begin Next Monday in Spartanburg, South Carolina

Christopher Hampton is charged with murder in the death of the young woman who remained missing for over one year

Miami, FL/March 27, 2006 – 24-year old Tamika Antonette Huston disappeared from Spartanburg, South Carolina on May 27, 2004 setting off a nearly 15-month search during which time the young woman became a symbol of the lack of national media attention devoted to cases involving missing minorities.

On August 12, 2005, Christopher Lamont Hampton was arrested by investigators from the Spartanburg Public Safety Department as he was being released from federal custody for a parole violation linked to an earlier conviction for robbery. After several hours of questioning, Hampton led police to the buried remains of Tamika Huston in a remote wooded area located in nearby Duncan, South Carolina. Hampton also confessed to investigators that he had killed Tamika in May 2004. He would later restate his confession in a taped interview conducted by local Spartanburg Herald-Journal reporter, Alex Morrison.

Hampton’s trial is scheduled to begin at 9am on Monday, April 3rd at the Spartanburg County Courthouse (180 Magnolia Street, Spartanburg, SC). His prosecution is being led by Spartanburg County’s 7th Circuit Solicitor, Trey Gowdy.

“Despite the obvious difficulty in having to relive this horrible crime in a court of law, our family is looking forward to Hampton’s conviction and we hope and pray the judge will see fit to impose the maximum sentence of life in prison,” states Gabriella Simenehe, Tamika’s mother.

For more information about the case and photos, please visit www.tamikahuston.com