PDA

View Full Version : GUILTY DE - Hannah Jackson, 2, left at gas station

Pages : [1] 2

vibec
02-22-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220332/Delaware-police-Tot-found-abandoned-in-Newark-restroom

Hopefully, this story will get national attention, someone knows this little girl! Since the gas station is just of 95, she may be from anywhere.

"She's just scared," Lt. Brian Henry said. "She goes back and forth crying, sometimes saying, 'Where's mommy?' "A patron found her after he heard her crying inside the restroom at the Shell service station at 804 S. College Ave.
She is in the custody of the state Division of Family Services, (http://kids.delaware.gov/fs/fs.shtml) which investigates complaints of child abuse and neglect after being taken to Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Rockland for a checkup.

BeanE
02-22-2010, 12:01 PM
http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20100222&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=2220332&Ref=AR&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

BeanE
02-22-2010, 12:03 PM
http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20100222&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=2220332&Ref=V2&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Cubby
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Aw, she's beautiful. She looks so scared, poor child. I hope she is not as scared now as she looks in these photo's.

Looks like the service station where she was found is a very busy intersection. A lot in the area too.... not far from 95 and not far from a college/university. I wonder if she was left by her mom, or someone harmed mom and left the child there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=804+S.+College+Ave+newark&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS353&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=804+S+College+Ave,+Newark,+DE+19713&gl=us&ei=J62CS8b2IYX2nAfW2PSXBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

I hope the above street view of the service station works. I looks like an older service station with an outside entrance to the restroom. Unless the locks are broken, or the door doesn't close properly, aren't these doors usually locked? The person working at the service station doesn't recall seeing the child or her mom, or anyone asking for a key. I wonder if this service station has survellience video.

I hope the childs mommy is ok, and they find this childs family.

Tizzle
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
The article says the surveillence system wasn't functioning.

The look on that baby's tear-stained face breaks my heart. It appears as though she has been well taken care of. I hope her mommy is ok and I hope someone recognizes her. She needs to be reunited with those that she loves and that love her. She is so sad, that face is killing me. :cry:

ETA: I would also like to know who the hell locked this gorgeous baby in a dirty bathroom at a gas station?!?!:furious:

AM528
02-22-2010, 12:36 PM
That poor little girl. I wonder if her Mommy was taken and she locked her in that bathroom hoping someone would find her? I hope someone recognizes her and calls in so they can figure out who she is.

kbl8201
02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
gut feeling tells me something happened to her mom. even a mom that abandons her child im not sure would have the foresight to lock her into a public restroom

the fact she was locked in would also lead me to believe someone who works at the gas station or frequents it is involved

Salem
02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
She is a beautiful child! As Tizzle says, she looks well taken care of. Her hair is done, she appears to be pretty clean, her clothes look like they are in pretty good shape, she is wearing a warm coat and has shoes on and she looks like she has been fed decently during her 2 years.

I'm sending her cyber hugs and hoping she is somewhere with a warm and caring person.

I'm also thinking something bad might have happened to her mom. Maybe not, maybe mom just left her. We can't always tell from appearances what is happening. But she sure doesn't look like a child someone didn't want, kwim?

Prayers for her, I hope her family is found soon.

Salem

nervous_nellie
02-22-2010, 12:45 PM
That poor little girl. I wonder if her Mommy was taken and she locked her in that bathroom hoping someone would find her? I hope someone recognizes her and calls in so they can figure out who she is.

this is what i am just wondering too... thank god someone left her there instead of anything worse! its terrible to leave her, i know, but thank-god ... after all the ones in the past few weeks that havent made it. im thinking that whoever left her there did so because for fear of being identified at a fire station or hospital ... poor little girl ... i hate to think that this may be a good thing ... until we know more about where she came from....

WhyaDuck?
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I cannot imagine what this poor little baby is going through right now. I also cannot imagine what would bring a mother to abandon a child in a gas station washroom.

I hope for the best for this little one.

kbl8201
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
if mom just locked her in and ran off, i think they will find her shortly.........this girl is 2 years old, not an infant. someone will recognize her

AM528
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM
I live in NJ and I'm shocked it isn't on the 12 news yet. Hmmm
Ok now I realize it is Newark Delaware not Newark NJ. :-) I'm so used to Newark NJ.

Beyond Belief
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
What a beautiful little girl. Maybe she just got lucky and will end up with someone who wants, loves and adores her. I wonder if she told them her name. I would think she would be able too.

theforgotten
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I just saw this little girl's story on the lunch time news. She is so beautiful. I hate to think this, but I really think something bad happened to her mother. I pray they find out who she is soon.

Tizzle
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I hope they questioned the man that discovered her, extensively. I don't mean to point any fingers or anything. I'm glad he found her, I'm just sayin'...

Tizzle
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
if mom just locked her in and ran off, i think they will find her shortly.........this girl is 2 years old, not an infant. someone will recognize her

Hopefully soon. This baby needs to be with people she is comfortable with. She is clearly traumatized in those pictures.

BeanE
02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm right there with those thinking something happened to mom. Easy enough to tell mom to put the little girl in the restroom, or do it himself, and then take off with mom.

I hope they can find out what happened, and that there is some loving family who will see the news and recognize this little cutie.

Thank God the little sweetie wasn't hurt.

ETA: She's dressed cute, and warm, looks pretty clean, and her hair is done. Doctor says she's healthy and apparently uninjured, so I think she's normally well taken care of.

Soulmagent
02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
It is awful the stores carma were not working. My heart is breaking for this little girl, I really hope nothing terrible happen to her mother.

I wonder if the childs father had the baby and dropped her off as a way to torment the mother and she thinks he has the baby still and has no clue anything is wrong yet. I really hope that to be the case.

The liitle girl does look terrified I hope she didnt witness anything. I also hope her mother didnt leave her there and is still alive.
I hug my son everyday hoping it is felt by all the children who need them.

SunnieRN
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
This brings home the need for safe harbor laws, once again. I hope this is a situation of a parent feeling overwhelmed and not one of injury or death to this poor childs Mother.

There are so many abused babies and toddlers, that a safe haven law could possibly prevent injuries, abandonments or death to these precious babes.

I am not sure what age should be a cut off, but I would MUCH rather see the parent of a three year old have the right to say, "I can't handle the responsibility anymore and I don't want my child to be harmed by me or anyone else."

I hope there are loving family members who will care for this little angel!

vibec
02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
It seems strange that there's not a missing persons report/Amber Alert for her. The fact that no one (it appears) has notified the authorities that she is MISSING, is disturbing.

vibec
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
The story is on CNN now....good! Hopefully someone who knows her will see. I've been preoccupied with her all day. I cant imagine one of my kids being alone and scared for so long. That little face has really gotten to me. I hope someone who loves her will be there to hug her soon!

lizzybeth
02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
The little girl (it breaks my heart to see her sad little face every time I come here) might be able to help the police some. She's old enough to talk. Hopefully, she can tell them whether it was mommy or someone else that brought her there.

Kymistry35
02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
The little girl (it breaks my heart to see her sad little face every time I come here) might be able to help the police some. She's old enough to talk. Hopefully, she can tell them whether it was mommy or someone else that brought her there.

She is a beauty is she? I hope that they find her family, but not all 2 year olds can talk good enough to give any useful information.

WhyaDuck?
02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
She is a beauty is she? I hope that they find her family, but not all 2 year olds can talk good enough to give any useful information.

I agree. My son will be two this weekend, and he can't yet say his name or do much more than ask simple questions - and, of course, yell "no!" and "let go!" Girls are usually earlier talkers than boys, but she may also be a bit less than two - and also scared out of her wits.

raeann
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, the light puffy jacket and the dark jeans should be easy to recognize on other store videos. Hopefully, they are checking the McDonald's across the street and any other fast food place or Wal-Mart etc. nearby to see if she may have been with someone at another place that day.
jmoo

heartfortruth
02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
The story is on CNN now....good! Hopefully someone who knows her will see. I've been preoccupied with her all day. I cant imagine one of my kids being alone and scared for so long. That little face has really gotten to me. I hope someone who loves her will be there to hug her soon!

thanks.....and I so agree.........this little one really grabs my heart , too.........
and I wish I could hug her ....and I hope she can feel all our hugs and prayers.......and that this will soon be resolved and she comes to be with someone who loves her, whomever that may turn out to be.

but I will say this; whatever her situation, she is more fortunate than Caylee

fran
02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
What an adorable child. LOL, of course aren't they all cuties at that age? I'm so happy she's safe.

Now for her mom? That scares me now.:(

JMHO
fran

Angel4u2Whisper2
02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I am concerned about how she got there myself, IMO I don't think that a mother would abandon her child there as a "safe haven". The mother would not know how long before someone would be asking for the key. I didn't hear if food or a sippy cup was left with her (if they said it I must of missed it) so if neither of those things or a comfort toy or blankie wasn't left with her it adds to my concerns.

I am worried about the childs gaurdian being a victem of a crime and they put the child there while they got far enough away. Maybe a carjacking or kidnapping? There must be someone out there that is missing that beautiful child and loves her very much, I hope that someone claims her quickly. Bless her heart.

AmandaBrown23
02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
My heart really hurts for her because usually when we read stories like this we dont ever see the child or if we do its a smiling picture but this picture shows the fear and sadness. I really hope she is identified asap. Poor little beautiful girl.

Mr. E
02-22-2010, 08:25 PM
So the little girl was locked in a restroom at a gas station? I hope they washed her up really good. Yuck!

My little girl is two, and although she knows her name, I don't know if she would be able to tell anyone "My name is..." However, if she sees a picture of herself she'll point at it and say, "Iris!" Sometimes, too, if you hold her in front of a mirror and say, "Who's that" she answer her name (although sometimes she just says "baby"). I wonder if they've tried anything like this, at least to get an idea of a name for this little one.

I'm glad that, no matter how the little girl got there, she is safe and sound. Whenever something like this happens, I think how bad it could have been.

BeanE
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
She was inside the men's restroom.

http://whyy.org/cms/news/regional-news/delaware/2010/02/22/toddler-found-at-delaware-gas-station/31353

BeanE
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
No leads yet on who put her in the restroom or who her parents are :-(

Somebody has got to know this little girl!

http://www.kyw1060.com/Girl-Found-Abandoned-Inside-Del--Gas-Station-Restr/6414960

Kimberlyd125
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Just checking in to see if this baby girl had been "claimed" by anyone.
I hate typing that but I didn't know how else to say it. Sounds like I'm talking about an object. I'm not.
How could someone just leave a precious child locked in a bathroom.

BeanE
02-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Joe Smack with the state Division of Family Services says the 2-year-old is "chatty", but is so far just stringing together words a child her age would know

Audio of LE at the link says she says mommy, dolly, cracker.

If nobody comes forward, she'll be available for adoption in 10 months to a year. What an awful thought. I do hope they find out who her family is, and that one of them can take care of her. Poor little sweetheart.

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=185414976392

dreamweaver
02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree with the posters here.
She is well cared for. Her clothing matches. Someone put some thought
into how she looks. Her hair is combed.

Did mom put her in the bathroom to safeguard her from someone?
Is mom okay?

The service station attendant stated he did not give the key to anyone who had a child with them.
Is the bathroom just off to the side of the station as most are? Or around back?
Who did ask for the key in the hours prior to her being found?

Two year olds can talk and it seems once she is feeling more comfortable, she is saying more words. Of course, she can't give mommy's name or her address, hopefully, she will be able to say her own name soon.
I would think a child advocate is working with her on this.

ot: My kids could say their own name at 2 yrs old, but I don't know if anyone else but family would understand them.

Cubby
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I was hoping to check in and see that her family has found her!

There is something about the location she was found. I can't shake the feeling that someone harmed her caregiver whether that be her mom, an Auntie, grandma.... Maybe a single mom, and no one thinks it is unusual that no one has heard from mom? What comes to mind, sadly, is the biological father fighting with the mom, but not really wanting to be a full time daddy. Maybe the childs father did something to the mom and thought oh crap, what do I do now? If someone catches me with his kid when I do not have custody, they are going to put two and two together something happened to her mom and I am the culprit if this child is with me. So he panicks and leaves her in an outside of the building mens room.

Someone not familiar with the area would not know the restroom was outside.... or where to go without asking for a key or location first. While most of the service station restrooms have outside entrances not all do. I've been to some where the person has to walk through a part of the service area to gain access to a rest room.

I hope someone realizes they haven't heard from mom, or sees this child on the news. The fact that she is scared, tells me she is comfortable with her caregiver, and not relieved to be away from a bad situation.

just my gut on this one.......

and who ever brought up the idea of checking survellience in other nearby business's, excellent idea! I hope they are doing that!

BeanE
02-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I wonder if there are toll booths in the area with video they could check. Would take many hours to check them but they just might see her in a car.

They should send us the video! We'll check! :-)

angelmom
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
OMG that precious sad face! How can no one have realized who she is yet???

A neighbor, a relative, a friend...someone has to recognize this little pumpkin?

I am very fearful that something has happened to Mom as well. I don't think even a mom abandoning her baby would leave her in the MEN's room!!!

Disguiseduser0308
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Poor sweet child. She looks so afraid you really do just wanna grab her up and hold her tight.

Stories like this remind me how important it is to teach my children our families full names, where we live and our phone number. I truly hope she knows something of where she comes from and when she feels safe can share that with LE or Family Services.

Bless her. I do hope no harm has come to anyone in her family.

Kymistry35
02-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I agree with the posters here.
She is well cared for. Her clothing matches. Someone put some thought
into how she looks. Her hair is combed.

Did mom put her in the bathroom to safeguard her from someone?
Is mom okay?

The service station attendant stated he did not give the key to anyone who had a child with them.
Is the bathroom just off to the side of the station as most are? Or around back?
Who did ask for the key in the hours prior to her being found?

Two year olds can talk and it seems once she is feeling more comfortable, she is saying more words. Of course, she can't give mommy's name or her address, hopefully, she will be able to say her own name soon.
I would think a child advocate is working with her on this.

ot: My kids could say their own name at 2 yrs old, but I don't know if anyone else but family would understand them.

My niece talks like an adult at two years old but she doesn't say her name. If you put her in front of a mirror and ask "who is that" she just says "That's me"

Blue_Dolphin308
02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
ETA: I would also like to know who the hell locked this gorgeous baby in a dirty bathroom at a gas station?!?!:furious:

I would much rather have a an ALIVE but DIRTY baby, then a baby that was left in an unlocked room, where she could get out and possibly walk the streets, and get hit or worse by someone. The lesser of two evils I guess

not_my_kids
02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm jaded, I'm cynical, I admit it. Any possibility that her mother or other family locked her in while they went on a "date"? Maybe it was something they commonly did and this was the first time they got caught or reported?

Mr. E
02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
My bet is that the baby was placed in there by her father or an uncle...somebody the baby's mother trusted. And the mother has no clue that the baby has even been abandoned because she thinks the father/uncle/whomever has her and is safe and sound.

mysterygirl
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
She was in the men's bathroom?!

This bothers me. Unless someone left in there because they thought she'd be found faster...........I don't know, I'm just glad she's alive.......

kbl8201
02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
im sorry, but if the gas attendent says he didnt give the key to anyone with a child (assuming he's not lying) then something far more sinister then child abandonment is going on here.

not_my_kids
02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS366US366&q=804+S.+College+Ave+newark,+de&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=804+S+College+Ave,+Newark,+DE+19713&gl=us&ei=FECDS_zLOYyknQfU4e3_AQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

Google aerial map of the general area, going off the Courier article. Looks pretty busy right there, a lot of roads meeting up, elementary school not far away. One of those neighborhoods that looks like an odd commercial/residential mix.

ETA: This article also says that she was placed in a foster home and she slept through the night. She's adjusting, so at least there's that.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS/100222014/Officials-Still-no-ID-on-toddler-found-in-gas-station-restroom

Tizzle
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I would much rather have a an ALIVE but DIRTY baby, then a baby that was left in an unlocked room, where she could get out and possibly walk the streets, and get hit or worse by someone. The lesser of two evils I guess

Oh. Me, too. For sure.

But I would still like to know who the hell locked this gorgeous baby in a dirty men's bathroom at a gas station?!?!

OneLostGrl
02-23-2010, 01:16 AM
aww she is so beautiful!! I hope someone recognizes her and even if her mother can no longer care for her.. that someone out there loves and will care for this adorable child

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 02:06 AM
This one points out that she was abandoned near the U of Delaware. and that police have had lots of leads...nothing panned out.
They believe she is 2 1/2 - 3 years old,
In all the dozens of tips, they have not received the same name twice, not releasing any of those names now.
Also shows the bathroom.

The article gives the name of the man that found her and the video has an interview with him and the station worker.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7289999
Not sure if it had been posted, I didn't see it yet.

ETA: As of an hour ago, no ID.
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/022210_Girl_Abandoned_Inside_Delaware_Gas_Station_ Bathroom

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 02:08 AM
The fact that she does not match the description of any child that has been reported missing is just baffling. Whether the mother literally dumped her and left or whether mom was the victim of foul play no one has reported either of them missing? Very odd.

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 02:33 AM
It is possible the parent or guardian locked her there for some reason - turning a trick or working or something s/he couldn't take her with them for, b/c the parent was alone in the city, and, later finding out the girl had been found, is too scared right now to come forward.

mysticrose
02-23-2010, 02:52 AM
I don't know why but I have this terrible sinking feeling that something horrible has happened to this little girls mother ... I am sure LE has been looking for any missing children from anywhere in the US.

This baby is just beautiful, I hope they find her family, she keeps asking for her mama :(

Cubby
02-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Every time I see this thread atop the page I keep hoping it is to report good news.

impatientredhead. I have thought the same thing, however that might depend on the mother or caregivers work schedule. She may not be noticed missing until she misses a scheduled day for work or a scheduled appointment.

whyaduck, good question, but why a mens restroom? Why not at home with something to knock her out for a few hours, some cold medicine or something? ( ok, sorry to mention that but we all know that it happens ).

I wonder if LE has sent out this childs information to any public aid services in the area? I don't know what it is called in DE but perhaps this mother received services where someone might recognize the child. I mention this, because when that little dupage johnny doe age 3-5 was found I was amazed that no one at my sons daycare provider had even heard of the story. Neither have too many of the teachers or parents I have spoken with where my son attended KG or 1st, and these children are all about the same age as that still unidentified child.

does anyone know if automatic alerts go out to someplace like health and family services (HFS here in Illinois) or anything like that? It seems if not, it should.

Hoping someone realizes this precious child is missing soon.

Such an odd place to leave a child. I can't help but think something happened to the childs mother. Then I think, single bathroom, single stall if any stall...... why there? That is what I can't get past. It is not a likely place imo to abandon a child.

mysticrose
02-23-2010, 03:04 AM
The abandonment in the restroom to me says "Male", and not because it was a men's restroom .. lol

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Every time I see this thread atop the page I keep hoping it is to report good news.

impatientredhead. I have thought the same thing, however that might depend on the mother or caregivers work schedule. She may not be noticed missing until she misses a scheduled day for work or a scheduled appointment.

whyaduck, good question, but why a mens restroom? Why not at home with something to knock her out for a few hours, some cold medicine or something? ( ok, sorry to mention that but we all know that it happens ).

I wonder if LE has sent out this childs information to any public aid services in the area? I don't know what it is called in DE but perhaps this mother received services where someone might recognize the child. I mention this, because when that little dupage johnny doe age 3-5 was found I was amazed that no one at my sons daycare provider had even heard of the story. Neither have too many of the teachers or parents I have spoken with where my son attended KG or 1st, and these children are all about the same age as that still unidentified child.

does anyone know if automatic alerts go out to someplace like health and family services (HFS here in Illinois) or anything like that? It seems if not, it should.

Hoping someone realizes this precious child is missing soon.

Such an odd place to leave a child. I can't help but think something happened to the childs mother. Then I think, single bathroom, single stall if any stall...... why there? That is what I can't get past. It is not a likely place imo to abandon a child.

BBM

It could be as simple as someone was coming out of the men's room, so the parent didn't need a key - or the person knew how to get in there from doing this before.

And as to home, I wondered about that, but they could be be between homes - maybe new to the city - or possibly she (if it was the mother) didn't trust her boyfriend.

It's all purely speculation on my part, though. But I do know the desperation of not being able to afford childcare, and it is plausible to me that this was one very bad option seized by an extremely desperate person.

angelmom
02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I will say that if Mom thinks she is safe with someone else (and you wouldn't necessarily ask to speak with a 2yo on the phone) then she may have no clue.

My DH can go days without listening to or watching the news. I text him any serious traffic updates during the day b/c he is listening to his iPod or satellite radio, and wouldn't know if the world was ending!

Ditto if Mom has been harmed but the family doesn't know she's missing yet. I'm very afraid for this mother.

I don't think the idea of bathroom-as-babysitter really works b/c how do you know no one's going to use it while you're gone? Either they'll report it or take her. Unless the guy who works there was supposed to be watching her for a friend or something...and thought he could just say it's out of order if he got asked for the key. That's still pretty risky.

Prayers for answers!

mazajo
02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
I think whoever left her there wanted her found, or didn't care if she was. It's way too public of a place to leave her with the intention of coming back for her later. Anybody would have guessed that someone would hear her. The little girl looks too well cared for to have simply been forgotten by a drugged up mommy. I don't recall seeing, but has any article mentioned whether there was food or toys in the bathroom? I'd bet quite a bit that this little sweetie was left here by someone other than mommy.

It breaks my heart that she keeps crying for her mommy and mommy never comes. Especially when I think of what terrible tragedy she might have witnessed. :(

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I was thinking about this as I went to bed last night.
If she was found in the mens room I think that indicates a man left her at this location.

A woman I think for low visibility and just natural instinct would leave her in the women's room where she would be found by a woman most likely.

A man would need to ask for the mens room key (leaving her in the car for this portion, or going in as someone was coming out).

I have a very bad feeling for the mother who obviously hasn't been reported missing yet. The only thing I can figure out is that maybe this was a carjacking gone wrong, or an attack on the mother followed by a stolen car, and he didn't realize there was a toddler in the car?

They must have something on surveillance cameras.
There has to be something.......

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I was hoping to log in and see that she had been identified. Poor baby must be so scared. I agree with everyone else that it was most likely a man that left her in the restroom.

ETA: I posted a message on FB with a link to the article and picture and asked people to keep passing it along, maybe someone will recognize her?

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
I wonder if any abandoned cars with toddler sized carseats were found this week?

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Are there lots of stores in that area that sell Rocawear children's clothing? In the town I live in and the surrounding towns there aren't many but thats probably different up north.

Angel4u2Whisper2
02-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree with the poster that felt that a man must of left her, a mother would want her found by a woman as oposed to a male. I truely hope that the answer will lead this beautiful little girl in the arms of family that love and miss her real soon.

Trino
02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I was thinking about this as I went to bed last night.
If she was found in the mens room I think that indicates a man left her at this location.

A woman I think for low visibility and just natural instinct would leave her in the women's room where she would be found by a woman most likely.

A man would need to ask for the mens room key (leaving her in the car for this portion, or going in as someone was coming out).

I have a very bad feeling for the mother who obviously hasn't been reported missing yet. The only thing I can figure out is that maybe this was a carjacking gone wrong, or an attack on the mother followed by a stolen car, and he didn't realize there was a toddler in the car?

They must have something on surveillance cameras.
There has to be something.......

Camera reportedly were not working. (How many times does this happen?) This gas station was a small one with outside bathrooms. Often those are not locked as they should be, so entry might not be that difficult.

Did anyone see the pictures of the bathroom? Very small. Only a toilet and a sink.

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Police field calls, but tot remains a mystery
Police say girl can't identify herself

A day after a child was found locked inside a Newark gas station restroom alone and crying, police had received dozens of calls from throughout the region from people offering tips on her identity.

Newark investigators have also contacted police departments as far as Florida, yet officials do not know who she is or her family's whereabouts.

The child, who appears to be 2 years old, has spoken, but has not said enough to identify herself.

"She hasn't been able to give us that information yet," said Joseph Smack, spokesman for the Division of Family Services.

The girl slept through the night at her foster home, where there are two children near her age.

"She seems to be adjusting," Smack said. "But of course we are still actively looking for any family members, anybody who can recognize her and provide us with more information."

The service station's proximity to I-95 is fueling speculation that the child may not be from Delaware.

"I don't think they're thinking she's definitely local," Newark police spokesman Cpl. Paul Keld said, adding that they have received calls from New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. "There's a lot of attention being put out there and people are responding."

Since the DiGirolamo case, Delaware has passed legislation making child abandonment a felony punishable by up to five years in prison for abandoning children younger than 14 and up to three years in prison for older children.

Delaware has a "safe haven law," which allows someone to legally relinquish a newborn at an emergency room, but it does not apply in this case because the girl is more than 14 days old and was not handed directly to an employee.

Anyone with information about the child should call Newark police at 366-7111.

More at:
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100223/NEWS01/2230341

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Camera reportedly were not working. (How many times does this happen?) This gas station was a small one with outside bathrooms. Often those are not locked as they should be, so entry might not be that difficult.

Did anyone see the pictures of the bathroom? Very small. Only a toilet and a sink.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=804+S.+College+Ave+newark+de&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=804+S+College+Ave,+Newark,+DE+19713&gl=us&ei=COCDS6epFYumswOb7eDEDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

According to the google view there are several other business in the area. Someone's cameras have to be working. There is a small grocery store, a restaurant, and a McDonalds.

BeanE
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
More at:
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100223/NEWS01/2230341

I was saying to my DH last night that this little sweetie could be from anywhere. Mom on a road trip to see a friend, on her way home, several days drive, stops at gas station, somebody shoves the little girl into the restroom, takes off with mom. Nobody knows they're missing yet because people who know them think they're still on the road home.

Just a scenario I was thinking of for why nobody knows this little girl is missing.

If there's a similar scenario in play here, hopefully soon someone will realize something is wrong and start calling LE and they can make the connection.

How well connected are all the missing child and missing person databases across states? I realized I really don't know if there's one central database yet for the whole U.S. that LE can check. And I'm afraid there's not :-(

Julespa
02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
The pictures of this poor little girl are just heartbreaking. How could no one recognize her? I have only seen her case on the local news, I really hope something is on the National news soon. Some fear her family may have been killed or they are in danger. She does not appear to be abused or mistreated.

More at link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7292651

Trino
02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking a grandmother or relative will identify the little girl, that something happened to her mother, but even if her mother deliberately left her, IMO a woman just wouldn't abandon a female child in a men's restroom - too much of a chance of a molester. In fact, I don't think a woman would leave a child at a gas station restroom at all - just not a female choice.

jessunlil
02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
She looks so very sad and scared. I hope there are some answers and a happy resolution soon!

ImaFrayedKnott
02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
It's sad that she was left, but I'm noticing that for one: She's wearing a semi-expensive winter jacket and looks well kept. Also, at least (thank the good Lord) that she was left and not killed and stuffed in a container or whatever other horrendous things that could have happened. Another thing, and this is what bothers me....the parents or whoever is responsible for her will probably get their butts reamed for abandoning her (not saying they shouldn't be punished to some extent) but it probably won't be taken in to consideration that the little girl has obviously been taken care of up to this point and that her life was spared. Nobody knows the whole story behind this yet, including myself, but I'm trying to look at this from a positive aspect.

amandab
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
This is a gas station - are there no video cameras?

Julessleuther
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree with you. The gas attendant cannot remember anything about the person he gave the key to? Was there only one working bathroom that both male and female patrons used or where there separate bathrooms? Surely he should remember if it were a female that he gave a male bathroom key to if there were separate bathrooms!

Poor sweet baby, she must have been so scared!

im sorry, but if the gas attendent says he didnt give the key to anyone with a child (assuming he's not lying) then something far more sinister then child abandonment is going on here.

amandab
02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I just got to thinking: I wonder if this is an instance of human trafficing. If she was left in that mens room by a man, to be picked up by another man (who just didn't show?).

Julessleuther
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I know TJ Maxx and Marshalls by me sells this brand, and I am guessing most Macy's stores have it too. It is a designer brand developed by Jay-Z.

Most gas station bathrooms are not heated, I wonder how long she was in there. Even though she had a coat on, whomever put her in there must have expected she would have been found fairly quickly. (I hope)

Are there lots of stores in that area that sell Rocawear children's clothing? In the town I live in and the surrounding towns there aren't many but thats probably different up north.

Julessleuther
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
This Shell station is right off I-95, which IS a toll road. I really think they should be looking at the toll cameras for that entrance to I-95. If they have a time frame that the child was put into the bathroom, they may be able to narrow it down, particularly if there is an empty car seat in the vehicle. I am guessing, however, that they only have one camera and it is set on the driver, not license plates?
Edit: I do not see toll boothes at the entrance, however. Anyone local live that that can tell us how they pay the polls at that entrace?

Somewhat O/T: The Shell station better get that camera fixed; they are basically putting up a flashing sign to criminals to come rob them, as they have no working camera. :rolleyes:

Vegas Bride
02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I was hoping by now this baby had been ID'd
It's possible that she wasn't with her mother, maybe some other type of caregiver, babysitter, older relative, father etc.

Somewhat OT but I think it's criminal for gas stations to not have good working security cameras! These places are dangerous!

VB

bogeygal
02-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Keep checking in here to see if this beautiful baby girl has been identified yet.

I'm sure the caretakers and detectives are doing as much as they can to find out her identity, and making sure she is being taken care of and comforted.

I wish this little baby would be able to say her first name, that would be a start. My heart breaks seeing how sad and frightened she was in the photos.

Said prayers for her before bed last night. :praying:

Hopeful One
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
It amazes me that no one has recognized this little girl yet and come forward. Granted, not everyone watches the news, but not a single person has missed her yet???

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7292651
The sixth month termination of rights process has been started against her unknown parents.
People have called in from KS to FL wanting to be the ones to adopt her, and that's not counting the people that have flooded the offices in person.

Still no clue who she actually is.

Trino
02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Do posters think this gas station was a random pick? Since this is a city station and would be rather busy, it would appear the person(s) who left the little girl knew she would be quickly found.

What if she's not identified within 6 months, then is adopted within a year, then relatives come forward. An adoption could be filled with problems.

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Do posters think this gas station was a random pick? Since this is a city station and would be rather busy, it would appear the person(s) who left the little girl knew she would be quickly found.

What if she's not identified within 6 months, then is adopted within a year, then relatives come forward. An adoption could be filled with problems.

It is right off the highway so I think it was chosen for convenience.
I do think they knew she would be found relatively quickly.
The only thing I can figure is that someone did something to the mom and unwittingly ended up with a kid in their possession.

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Police looking for help in identifying burned body

Associated Press - February 23, 2010 1:05 PM ET
MONSEY, N.Y. (AP) - Police say the young woman found dead and burning in a Rockland County park had the name "Patricia" tattooed on her lower back.
Ramapo Police Detective Lt. Brad Weidel (weye-DEHL') said Tuesday that investigators have been unable to identify the woman, so a detailed description was released.
The woman's body was found on fire early Monday in Manny Weldler Park in Monsey, about 25 miles north of New York City. Her death was ruled a homicide.
Weidel said she was black or Hispanic and about 18 years old. She weighed about 120 pounds and was about 5 feet, 2 inches tall. She had recently undergone gallbladder surgery.
The tattoo on her back included a picture of a rose.

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&q=monsey%20ny%20to%20newark%20delaware&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

2 hours and 35 minutes straight down 95 to get from the body that was found to the little girl that was found

could she have been asleep in the car?

bogeygal
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's a link to another article regarding the female burned body found:

(Just in case it could be related to the abandoned baby girl)

http://www.examiner.com/a-2488724~Female_s_burning_body_found_in_suburban_NY _park.html

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I think it definitely could be related. I wonder if the police have made a connection?

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I think the mom would have come forward by now if she were able.

I fear that maybe daddy did something to mommy, or maybe a stranger... I just pray this little sweetheart didn't have to see it all. :(

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Could everyone post any missing people sites that monitor missing women of colour? I know, of course, that we do not know the ethnicity of this little girl's mom, but I was just thinking that black women don't always get a lot of publicity in the media, so it's a good thing to monitor these sites for related cases.

I know of this one, and watch it for updates:

http://blog.blackandmissing.org/

Any more good ones that are updated regularly?

(ETA: Peas in their Pods is good, too, but mostly for children of colour.)

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Could someone with a facebook account visit the site mentioned in the below article and maybe post a blurb about the little girl if there isn't one? It seems like a popular FB page right now, and it is possible that people will see a blurb there before the news.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220348

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I think it definitely could be related. I wonder if the police have made a connection?

I emailed the officer in the original article, already received a response asking for links to the story.

chaddylex
02-23-2010, 04:41 PM
What a cute little girl, I hope they find out who she is soon!

SunnieRN
02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Here's a link to another article regarding the female burned body found:

(Just in case it could be related to the abandoned baby girl)

http://www.examiner.com/a-2488724~Female_s_burning_body_found_in_suburban_NY _park.html

I hate to think this may be this little angels Mom, but hopefully it can be ruled out with a DNA test. Still, isn't anyone missing these two people???

WhyaDuck?
02-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I hate to think this may be this little angels Mom, but hopefully it can be ruled out with a DNA test. Still, isn't anyone missing these two people???

It's sad, but I have known young moms without any support system whatsoever; one, who was kicked out for being pregnant, with no boyfriend, and was not close with the neighbours until I got to chatting with her one day and didn't seem to have any friends.

It is absolutely horrific how easily some people can disappear.

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 04:47 PM
The longer this goes, the worse it looks.

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 05:01 PM

We don't even know what state they originated in and how many state lines have been crossed, if any at all.

And if this is a young mom, we have seen repeatedly how seriously missing person calls for late teen girls are taken. Oh she ran off with a boyfriend, she will show up in a couple of days, she is just trying to be independent.

If they originated in another state they may not have seen the toddler's picture and that little blurb on the burnt body won't be seen anywhere if they aren't looking in the right places.

bogeygal
02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
News article with Video including Parts of Police Presser today: (Re: Female Found Burned in Park)

(Just in case again that this could relate to the abandoned baby girl)

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7290710

bogeygal
02-23-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100223/NEWS/100223028/Dozens-of-tips-but-toddler-s-identity-remains-a-mystery

Dozens of tips, but tot's identity remains a mystery

Snipped from Today's Article on Delawareonline.com:

Joseph Smack, spokesman for the Division of Family Services, said the agency would be providing a video tape of the child later today.

“Just to get some live action clips to help in the search,” he said.

Cubby
02-23-2010, 06:09 PM
News article with Video including Parts of Police Presser today: (Re: Female Found Burned in Park)

(Just in case again that this could relate to the abandoned baby girl)

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7290710

From the linked article:

"One of the things that we would certainly look at is people, students from the high school that may have been absent today. We're looking at all of our missing persons. We are working with the school districts,"

It appears they think the unidentified female found in the park is pretty young if they are focusing the investigation on someone still High School age. I wonder if that is because of the persons height. That doesn't necessarily mean anything though, plenty of adults are still of short stature. It also doesn't mean this childs mother couldn't still be of HS age and had her daughter young.

I wonder if there are any recent attempts by someone who might possibly fit the childs mothers description who had obtained or was attempting to obtain a restraining order. Something for investigators to check out.

sleutherontheside
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Mike Gallanos on HLN just covered this. First I have seen of it on TV.

Patty G
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqao-MYtP0

Patty G
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Monsey, New York to Newark, Delaware is ~ 156 miles and 2 3/4 hours.

This child could be from the Philadelphia area which is 44 miles and less than an hour drive.

Patty G
02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Raw video of the little girl:

http://www.delawareonline.com/section/videonetwork?bctid=68228446001

laura08
02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
I hope they soon find out who she is and her parents. When I seen her picture she reminded me so much of Jada Justice so beautiful I know Jada is deceased, but she looks much like Jada in my opinion.

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I know I'm going to mutilate the name, but she there isn't any chance of her being Masahara Ross, is there? I don't have her face in my head right now, but she'd be about the right age, wouldn't she?

ETA: She is so beautiful in that video. She has no idea what's going on, but she'll just be happy and play.

laura08
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I know I'm going to mutilate the name, but she there isn't any chance of her being Masahara Ross, is there? I don't have her face in my head right now, but she'd be about the right age, wouldn't she?

ETA: She is so beautiful in that video. She has no idea what's going on, but she'll just be happy and play.

I had seen earlier on google some thought it may be her as well. Here'
s a picture and article on she and her mother.http://www.newschief.com/article/20091031/NEWS/910315028/1003/NEWS?Title=Missing-girl-mother-endangered-

SugarQueen
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I was just coming here to ask the same question.

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Unfortunately they don't resemble each other at all, at least in my opinion.

SugarQueen
02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I've only posted a few times and can't seem to get a link to work tonight but any chance she is Mariah Grace Fray?? I know it's a loooong shot.

laura08
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I've only posted a few times and can't seem to get a link to work tonight but any chance she is Mariah Grace Fray?? I know it's a loooong shot.

http://helpthesechildren.ning.com/profiles/blogs/mariah-grace-fray-20-mo
Here you go I think it is worth looking into, they do look alike.

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately they don't resemble each other at all, at least in my opinion.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what she looked like but she was the only one I could think of that was the right age and race.

raeann
02-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Here you go I think it is worth looking into, they do look alike.

They DO look very much alike...can someone do a side by side photo thingy?

fran
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM

IMHO, that is most definitely her! Seriously. I wish I knew how to post the pictures, but I'm ALMOST positive it's Mariah.

Contact LE......really!

JMHO
fran

Mr. E
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Patty G, thank you for posting the video of the baby. It is so nice to see her playing and smiling (and somehow nice to hear the videographer interacting with her, saying "uh-oh" when the baby drops a toy...it's creepy when the videographer just silently records footage). She looks happy and healthy, and I am so glad.

Cubby
02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
IMHO, that is most definitely her! Seriously. I wish I knew how to post the pictures, but I'm ALMOST positive it's Mariah.

Contact LE......really!

JMHO
fran

I was just getting ready to post the same thing.
Definately contact LE and pass this along.

While one would usually negate the possibility of driving from Mesa AZ to the east coast in the winter, Mariah went missing in August, so it would have still been a summer drive across country.

Also, they have the same skin discoloration across the top half of their forhead.

PLEASE pass this tip along to LE!

Snackcakes66
02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Could someone with a facebook account visit the site mentioned in the below article and maybe post a blurb about the little girl if there isn't one? It seems like a popular FB page right now, and it is possible that people will see a blurb there before the news.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220348
posted....

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Can someone do a side by side with Mariah and this sweet baby girl?

Cubby
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3uoKOHeCECM/SoynW1fPH-I/AAAAAAAAAe8/uUDqI0SnPik/s320/Fray,+Mariah.jpghttp://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20100222&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=2220332&Ref=AR&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Cubby
02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Best side by side, I know how to do. kind of hard to tell. Kids change so quickly at that young age. The eyes and facial shape look different and that could be the angle of the photo..... but that skin discoloration on their foreheads is enough for me to submit.

jmo

eta: I think it is just the picture angles. Look how similiar the bridges of their nose look. Almost the same... I think this little girl is Mariah.

fran
02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I was just getting ready to post the same thing.
Definately contact LE and pass this along.

While one would usually negate the possibility of driving from Mesa AZ to the east coast in the witer, Mariah went missing in August, so it would have still been a summer drive across country.

Also, they have the same skin discoloration across the top half of their forhead.

PLEASE pass this tip along to LE!

The age is also good too. She was 20 months in August when she went missing. They said she's about 2 yo.

They listed the child as possibly being in danger. So at this point, I wouldn't worry about the mom. Just glad they have the child.

Someone call LE for both contacts. Please, the one's who located the links for this child.

sorry to be so abrupt, I gotta run, bbl.

JMHO
fran

fran
02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3uoKOHeCECM/SoynW1fPH-I/AAAAAAAAAe8/uUDqI0SnPik/s320/Fray,+Mariah.jpghttp://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20100222&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=2220332&Ref=AR&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Looks like a winner to me!

fran
:)

Cubby
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Also, hair is up in both pictures. Same sense of style of clothing for the child.

I really really think she is Mariah.

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree that they do look a LOT alike, even the darker skin above their lips. Wish there were more pics to compare. Kids can look different from pic to pic.

Patty G
02-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Mariah turned 2 on January 10, 2010

Cubby
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
the member who posted the possiblity doesn't show to be on. Anyone call this in? Is the same WS member who contacted LE earlier via email here to make contact?

I will if no one else will.... I would also call NCMEC too.... they would have a lot of details having already worked with AZ.

CarlK90245
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM

I don't think they are the same person. Mariah has much more width at the side of her eyes, and much narrower lips.

raeann
02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Also, hair is up in both pictures. Same sense of style of clothing for the child.

I really really think she is Mariah.

Also, it appears that Mariah's ears are pierced, which was mentioned in the description of the Delaware child. The texture and tightness of the curls in the hair also matches between the two pictures, although I am far from an expert on that.

jmoo

Hopeful One
02-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I do think they have similarities but I'm not 100% sold that it's her. The lips look different, as the above poster stated. But, that could just be the way she's holding her mouth at that moment. I think it's a worth a call though.

SugarQueen
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
okay, I posted her info originally but have no idea who to contact. Heck, I just lurk here and wish I knew how you folks do it! lol

GourmetSoy
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
When I saw the 2 pics side by side I immediately said OMG it's her! If it isn't then these girls could be twins! So glad this little cutie was found safe!

laura08
Ok I sent them the link and told them to check into it. LE. I think it is a very good chance it may be her.

Hopeful One
Also, it appears that Mariah's ears are pierced, which was mentioned in the description of the Delaware child. The texture and tightness of the curls in the hair also matches between the two pictures, although I am far from an expert on that.

jmoo

My nephew is just a little older than these girls and also black. At first I thought that the girl in DE had much too 'frizzy' hair compared to the other but when I think about it, that doesn't much matter. After my nephew has just had a bath, his hair is very tightly curled and more like the hair on the girl in the first picture. After play, sleep, wearing a hat, etc., it tends to get more frizzy like our unidentified beauty.

GourmetSoy
02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I do think they have similarities but I'm not 100% sold that it's her. The lips look different, as the above poster stated. But, that could just be the way she's holding her mouth at that moment. I think it's a worth a call though.

I saw that too but it looks like the Delaware girl is pouting, might explain that.

Patty G
02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Raw video of the little girl:

http://www.delawareonline.com/section/videonetwork?bctid=68228446001

Can anyone capture a picture of the child off of the raw video to do a comparison with Mariah?

SugarQueen
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Ok I sent them the link and told them to check into it. LE. I think it is a very good chance it may be her.

Thank you for doing that!! Darn laptop froze.

Cubby
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I just got off the phone with both Mesa and the detective in DE. He requested an email so I will send off the emails. I will give credit to the original WS poster who suggested the possiblity...... with the link to their post here.

ETA: I will toss in a call to NCMEC too, because whomever I talked to in Mesa was not familiar with the case and it is after 5 there so the usuals are prolly gone for the day.

laura08
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
okay, I posted her info originally but have no idea who to contact. Heck, I just lurk here and wish I knew how you folks do it! lol

I found the e-mail address on a news article let me get it for you if you also want to send. I just sent it. But it may help if they get the links a few times to see the comparsion and really look into it. eparra@delawareonline.com here's my message I sent --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the child located in the Gas Station could be Mariah Grace Fray? I thought they resembled. Heres a link to her picture http://helpthesechildren.ning.com/profiles/blogs/mariah-grace-fray-20-mo :) my 1st time sending a tip. I usually dont. Because I feel there irrelevant but I think Sugar Queen is right on track, the closest match I have seen.

Hopeful One
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I saw that too but it looks like the Delaware girl is pouting, might explain that.

I thought that too, that's why I said it could just be the way she's holding her mouth. I definitely think they have a lot of similarities!

BeanE
02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow! Do they ever look similar! Great find!!!

laura08
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't think Mariah recieved much media attention. I went and tried finding more pictures of her to compare and there really isn't alot of information on her. And the same picture is used. But I did find AZ missing list and she nor her mother are listed. http://www.mesaaz.gov/police/missing_persons/missing.aspx

Heres another article on she and her mother it says to contact the meza az police the number is listed. If it helps.
http://www.abc15.com/content/news/southeastvalley/mesa/story/Mesa-PD-Mom-and-toddler-missing-have-you-seen-them/K0N2-EJRikacCEdYlsv1hQ.cspx

Patty G
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't think they are the same person. Mariah has much more width at the side of her eyes, and much narrower lips.

I agree. Also Mariah appears to have a heart-shaped face and a wider forehead.

ETA: I HOPE I am wrong!

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Ratnayake, Hiran" <hratnaya@wilmingt.gannett.com>...

This is the contact I used this morning to report the body that was found north of this location. He responded back within minutes.

Cubby
02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm on the phone with Mesa again to get an email.

I can not find Mariah listed at NCMEC. ??????

Cubby
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I got an email contact from Mesa. It seems this is one of those family custody issue kind of things for Mariah, but they are aware of the case, so I am sending off the info to both Mesa and Newark...

but will not be contacting NCMEC since they do not have Mariah listed.

Will pass all the info to both states....... this could still very well be Mariah because she is believed to be somewhere with her mother.

mysticrose
Here is a side by side of Mariah's mom and the abandoned Tot, don't know if it helps but I was curious. I hope this works

http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20100223&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=100223028&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0 http://api.ning.com/files/hLVYyypkiBwD2e2JQn5ccUdH9ZW0fEATrwB4IIdgw86t5BIfFu cIoBbXr7N1nWQPRsI6cpDSAtBYdVu4uc2wnc-4-Hg54fDp/FrayTamika.jpg

Cubby
Ratnayake, Hiran" <hratnaya@wilmingt.gannett.com>...

This is the contact I used this morning to report the body that was found north of this location. He responded back within minutes.

I saw that one too, but I think that is a contact for the newspaper that put the story out.

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Mariah never amde it into the NCMEC, so if all that was done was a prelim check, she might not have shown up.

I'm glad it has been sent in.

fran
02-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I see you all have been busy while I was gone. Good for you for contacting LE.

I still think it COULD be her. Looks the same to me.

Good work, Weblseuthers!

:)
fran

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Anyone with information about the child is asked to call Newark Police at 302-366-7111.

I'm sure if there is an email address, they will gladly give it out.

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I got an email contact from Mesa. It seems this is one of those family custody issue kind of things for Mariah, but they are aware of the case, so I am sending off the info to both Mesa and Newark...

but will not be contacting NCMEC since they do not have Mariah listed.

Will pass all the info to both states....... this could still very well be Mariah because she is believed to be somewhere with her mother.

The project jason website shows Tamika and Mariah located according to a 01-31-10 post but minimal information that I can see. Had to go to a cached page to even see that portion....

shadowangel
02-23-2010, 09:50 PM
The project jason website shows Tamika and Mariah located according to a 01-31-10 post but minimal information that I can see. Had to go to a cached page to even see that portion....

I believe it states they are not listed as missing... Technically, they aren't (Mariah is with her custodial parent). However, there is concern for the child due to alleged threats made by the mother.

Cypros
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
You sleuthers are great! I am eagerly watching this thread to see what happens. wouldn't it be wonderful to resolve two cases so quickly and with the child safe and sound. I hope the same is true for the mother.

On that note, if there a chance that the body found is connected to this little girl? Is it male or female?

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I believe it states they are not listed as missing... Technically, they aren't (Mariah is with her custodial parent). However, there is concern for the child due to alleged threats made by the mother.

I am not familiar with the Rilya Alerts- it says one was issued, and then cancelled. Haven't found the criteria for issue and cancellation yet.

Mensch
02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Just my take on this, but it seems obvious the person (s) who left her locked in the men's room wanted her to be safe and found.
She is not a 'throwaway' in my opinion. This could very well be Mariah and a family dispute gone very wrong. I hope there is an answer soon.

shadowangel
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I am not familiar with the Rilya Alerts- it says one was issued, and then cancelled. Haven't found the criteria for issue and cancellation yet.

Info on Rilya Alerts: http://www.peasintheirpods.com/criteria.shtml

Cubby
02-23-2010, 10:28 PM
While the two pictures don't look perfect, the skin discoloration really stood out to me. It's difficult to tell from pictures if it is an actual discoloration, an allergic reaction to wearing a cap or hat of some kind, or perhaps the child found in DE just had what looked like a red spot across her forhead from laying her head on a hard surface.

The picture of Mariah also appears a little dolled or doctored up? It really looks to me like she at least wearing colored lip gloss of somekind because I have seen the shade.

Also, at 2 my son looked so different in some pictures. Depending on the angle or his facial expression in some they almost didn't even look like the same child, even though they were. I've also noticed, on some of the charley project or doenetwork pages, we know we are seeing the same person but they look pretty different in some of the pictures. So that might explain it. Better to submit and let LE look at things outside the similiarities of two pictures that we don't have access too.

Great find SugarQueen! Follow along.. I know you are relatively new, but you will learn. We all do. I did by following what the other fantastic WS'rs here do. You will to. Thanks again for this awesome possible match!

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I found a facebook profile for Tamika (Mariah's mother) with a different last name, but the photo looks to be the same person, and they have several friends with matching last names for the surname used in the missing reports. Maybe it is just a coincidence...

I really wish the police would be more forthcoming about when they are indeed still looking for someone and when they are not. The press does no follow up at all!

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Woman_Reacts_to_Finding_Abandoned_Child_in_Bathroo m_Philadelphia.html

Woman reacts to finding the girl, video.

Witness says that she had a very clear black and blue bruise in the shape of a handprint on her back...

Poor little one.

butterfly1978
02-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree I think this baby is Mariah. I hope we hear something soon.

AM528
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Wow she does look like that little girl Mariah. I wonder where her and her Mother were seen last?

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 11:04 PM
If this statement about the bruise is true, and this isn't Mariah, it would seem that someone should be looking. If you are going to beat a child, it usually isn't confined to the back, it's all over. You beat a child on the back when there is someone that would notice more obvious marks.

not_my_kids
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow she does look like that little girl Mariah. I wonder where her and her Mother were seen last?

Mesa, AZ.

CarmelEyesD
02-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I showed the pictures to my adult son, who happened to be walking by the computer-he said "they are the same! They are identical..." Allowing for the age differences, I agree.

LadyL
02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I thought the doctor said she had no injuries. Why is a female witness coming forward with news of a bruised back ... up until now I've only read about the man who stopped to use the bathroom & found her and the gas station attendant. Why would a doctor say no injuries when a bruise in the shape of a handprint is clearly abuse? I wonder if LE asked for that info to be kept quiet so that the bio-parent might come forward ... hmmm.

LadyL
02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I don`t think they`re the same girl but there are many similarities and I`m quite happy to be wrong. I`d be estatic in fact. (-;

AM528
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Mesa, AZ.

I was just wondering if maybe there was any known sightings or if they knew if there was family on the East coast that the Mother may come visit. The more I look at those pictures the more I think they are the same girl. It is just the second pictures she is sad and lonely. I hope we hear something to rule it out or not.

Kymistry35
02-23-2010, 11:50 PM
I thought the doctor said she had no injuries. Why is a female witness coming forward with news of a bruised back ... up until now I've only read about the man who stopped to use the bathroom & found her and the gas station attendant. Why would a doctor say no injuries when a bruise in the shape of a handprint is clearly abuse? I wonder if LE asked for that info to be kept quiet so that the bio-parent might come forward ... hmmm.

They said she was in good health, maybe the bruise was old and fading so they didn't count it? Or maybe they don't count bruises as injuries ?

impatientredhead
02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
testing an image

mazajo
02-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm torn too. The DE girl looks a little chubbier in the face, but children can change quickly with age, even in just a few months when they are that young. Plus if Mariah and her mother have been on the road a lot, they would have most likely been eating a lot of fast food which could account for a chubbier toddler. ALSO the DE girl obviously had been crying quite a bit which would account for a puffy face. From watching the video, I'd guess she is a younger two year old, which is how old Mariah is. I'm leaning toward it being her, I think... Hopefully we'll know soon! Such a pretty little girl!

dreamweaver
02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Woman_Reacts_to_Finding_Abandoned_Child_in_Bathroo m_Philadelphia.html

Witness says that she had a very clear black and blue bruise in the shape of a handprint on her back...

Poor little one.

In the video, I noticed an atm machine. I am wondering if it might have captured any image of the person who left the little girl.
I would think LE would be aware of that.

dreamweaver
02-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I just got off the phone with both Mesa and the detective in DE. He requested an email so I will send off the emails. I will give credit to the original WS poster who suggested the possiblity...... with the link to their post here.

ETA: I will toss in a call to NCMEC too, because whomever I talked to in Mesa was not familiar with the case and it is after 5 there so the usuals are prolly gone for the day.

I just came on to check different threads.
I saw the resemblance with the unidentified girl and Mariah ....
Looks like a winner to me.
And I was all set to call AZ pd, when I saw that Cubby followed through with that.
Waiting to hear the news.

Snufamonbobball
02-24-2010, 12:17 AM
At this point, I'm going to say I'm thankful she's alive. I'm thankful she was found by a person who wasn't a monster- and one more time, I'm thankful she's alive.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
I was just wondering if maybe there was any known sightings or if they knew if there was family on the East coast that the Mother may come visit. The more I look at those pictures the more I think they are the same girl. It is just the second pictures she is sad and lonely. I hope we hear something to rule it out or not.

Even if she doesn't have family out east, it's not out of the possibilities that she met a guy from there and went to see him. I have a friend who grew up in Chicago, met and married a guy down in Louisianna and lived there for awhile. Now she is in Alaska of all places with a new love interest there. So one never knows..... and as a single mom, Mariahs mom would have the opportunity to get up and go. Especially if Mariah's father has never established any legal custody rights.

I'm not sure what the family concern or custody issues are. Arizona did not disclose that to me, just that the family was concerned for Mariah's welfare.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 12:26 AM

The person I spoke with in DE was very nice. Said if I don't get a confirmation email from him tonight that he received my email to call him in the morning. I think he will follow up to at least say if Mariah is ruled out.

AM528
02-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Even if she doesn't have family out east, it's not out of the possibilities that she met a guy from there and went to see him. I have a friend who grew up in Chicago, met and married a guy down in Louisianna and lived there for awhile. Now she is in Alaska of all places with a new love interest there. So one never knows..... and as a single mom, Mariahs mom would have the opportunity to get up and go. Especially if Mariah's father has never established any legal custody rights.

I'm not sure what the family concern or custody issues are. Arizona did not disclose that to me, just that the family was concerned for Mariah's welfare.

Oh I agree with you about her being able to be on the move. The way the world is these days people move around all the time. Also this little girl was found close to 95 so she could have been traveling from anywhere.

I'm so glad they will let you know what they find out.

Mensch
02-24-2010, 12:49 AM
I hope SugarQueen is right and this is Mariah! It cerainly resembles her. I called a couple of news stations here in the NE but nothing certain yet. Guess we should all know something tomorrow, one way or the other.

LadyL
02-24-2010, 12:51 AM
testing an image

that`s a really good side-by-side

the big differences for me are the lips, chin & the eyes - Mariah`s eyes look more almond-shaped and with more of a lid to me but again
soooooo many similarities and hard to tell from different angles

Brattigirle
02-24-2010, 01:26 AM

That's what I thought, maybe her mom was abducted. I pray they find her family.

Snufamonbobball
02-24-2010, 01:34 AM
I think it looks like she has a fat lip- like someone popped her in the mouth. Her lower lip on her right side is a lot bigger than the other. JMO. Her face around her eyes and nose look swollen too, maybe from crying. IMO this could be the same girl.

Brattigirle
02-24-2010, 02:01 AM

Poor little one.

Oh how sad, someone hit her.

Brattigirle
02-24-2010, 02:06 AM
I hope she is Mariah, then we know she is safe.

somewhereinkansas
02-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Does anyone know the height Mariah's mother?

Police looking for help in identifying burned body

Associated Press - February 23, 2010 1:05 PM ET
MONSEY, N.Y. (AP) - Police say the young woman found dead and burning in a Rockland County park had the name "Patricia" tattooed on her lower back.
Ramapo Police Detective Lt. Brad Weidel (weye-DEHL') said Tuesday that investigators have been unable to identify the woman, so a detailed description was released.
The woman's body was found on fire early Monday in Manny Weldler Park in Monsey, about 25 miles north of New York City. Her death was ruled a homicide.
Weidel said she was black or Hispanic and about 18 years old. She weighed about 120 pounds and was about 5 feet, 2 inches tall. She had recently undergone gallbladder surgery.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 02:54 AM
The mother, Tamika Fray, is listed at 5'6" and 180 pounds, 23 years old as of August of 2009.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 02:58 AM
There have to be other cams in the area. There are several businesses close by...

The Deleware DOT has traffic cams at the intersections to the north and south of
the gas station on College Ave. but not at that exact location. Hopefully local law enforcement are checking all the local businesses out.

Patty G
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
What stands out to me is that this child was found in the "men's room", which leads me to think that the child was dropped off by a male.

Although, it's possible this was done by a female, but I would think that the mother would have put the child in the "ladies room."

Do we know if people have to ask for the key to the restroom?

SugarQueen
02-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Do we know if people have to ask for the key to the restroom?

In one of the articles it mentioned the employee didn't remember giving the key to anyone with a child.

SugarQueen
02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Let's see if this works.

"The restroom at the gas station has an outside entrance that requires a key to access, police said.

"http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220332/Delaware-police-Tot-found-abandoned-in-Newark-restroom

Trino
02-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Let's see if this works.

"The restroom at the gas station has an outside entrance that requires a key to access, police said.

"http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220332/Delaware-police-Tot-found-abandoned-in-Newark-restroom

However, those types of restrooms, they aren't always locked as they should be. Also, sometimes the key is in a visible area where patrons can just take it. Even if someone asked the attendant, he may have been so busy that he really didn't recall who asked him for a key.

SugarQueen
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh for goodness sake, I am never going to get a link right!! I'm sorry!

Trino
02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Let's see if this works.

This story says the girl is old enough to be aware of her circumstances. When the story broke, she was listed as 2 years old, I thought she looked somewhat older. But, at 3, shouldn't she know her name?

daisy7
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Oh for goodness sake, I am never going to get a link right!! I'm sorry!

You can just copy and paste the link from the address bar

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220332/Delaware-police-Tot-found-abandoned-in-Newark-restroom

:blowkiss:

Hopeful One
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm so sad there isn't any news yet. :(

I had a dream about her last night, only in my dream, the girl was lost and everyone was looking for her. Turns out she was just hiding behind a tree. Ahh, if this case were only that simple.

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
In one of the articles it mentioned the employee didn't remember giving the key to anyone with a child.

It was an outside entrance. She was probably left in the vehicle while someone went inside and got the key. They never would have seen her. Or they got in as someone was coming out and a key was handed off there.

SugarQueen
02-24-2010, 12:41 PM
My husband owns a gas station/repair shop with the same set-up. It isn't uncommon for one person to ask for the key and someone else to return it. Usually if they have multiple people in the vehicle. It is also common for people to not close the door completely. The employee may never have seen the adult or child.

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100224/NEWS/100224022/Newark-police-ID-girl-found-in-gas-station-bathroom

Tentative ID

Stay tuned, her name and/or other info will be released later. (On the re-read, I caught that they didn't specifically say her name would be released.)

http://wjz.com/wireapnewsmd/Police.tentatively.ID.2.1516344.html

This one says that the media releases led to her identification and that multiple agencies and jurisdictions are involved. This one is not so hopeful on the release of further info.

http://www.newarkpostonline.com/articles/2010/02/24/news/doc4b8553be60afe830463536.txt
And another, nothing really new in this last one.

http://whyy.org/cms/news/regional-news/delaware/2010/02/24/police-tentatively-indentify-abandoned-girl/31564
And again...Yes. I am stalking Google News.:)

AM528
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100224/NEWS/100224022/Newark-police-ID-girl-found-in-gas-station-bathroom

Tentative ID

Stay tuned, her name and/or other info will be released later. (On the re-read, I caught that they didn't specifically say her name would be released.)

Wow do you think it is from all the information that people sent to them about Mariah last night? I wonder if it could be her.

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Abandoned-Gas-Station-Girl-Identified-85207227.html

This one is much the same as the others, but no "tentatively".

Babyslims
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
:woohoo: I'm just SO glad they know who she is!!!

Hopeful One
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Great news!!! I figured it couldn't take too long with her face everywhere!

Cubby
Wow do you think it is from all the information that people sent to them about Mariah last night? I wonder if it could be her.

I wonder too but don't know. I left a voice mail and resent the email to the detective in DE this morning as he requested after not getting a confirmation that he received my email from last evening.

I did get an email from Mesa this morning. A different female investigator, different from the male contact name I was given last night. Just saying she would like to discuss Mariah further.... and asked that I call her. I did, but she was out of the office so awaiting to talk to her. I don't know if Mesa and Newark even communicated with each other regarding the Mariah lead, or if this tentative id is a different child entirely.

So we will wait and see. I do hope the tentative id leads to a positive id, and whatever the circumstances are this child will be in a safe, healthy, happy environment. She is just too cute for words!

SugarQueen
I hope she has someone waiting who loves her, can care for her, and will treat her like a princess!! Someone who will know just how lucky they are that she was found safe.

Bewildered
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I am so glad they know who she is. I hope she will soon be back with family who she knows and who love her.

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
There's a couplemore out, but still nothing new. I wonder if there will be a presser.

She even made it into Forbes.
I'm in a very good mood now that I know she has been likely id'ed.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I just had a wonderful phone conversation with the missing persons investigation unit in Mesa. This little girl is NOT Mariah. Mariah was located safely back on August 24, 2009.

The investigator was very interested in what we do here at WS, and asked if she could keep my contact info along with the WS info and I said certainly! We are always willing to help. It was nice to have such a receptive conversation with LE who appreciates working with advocates like ourselves.

I AM THE 14 CAR
02-24-2010, 02:02 PM

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
I just had a wonderful phone conversation with the missing persons investigation unit in Mesa. This little girl is NOT Mariah. Mariah was located safely back on August 24, 2009.

The investigator was very interested in what we do here at WS, and asked if she could keep my contact info along with the WS info and I said certainly! We are always willing to help. It was nice to have such a receptive conversation with LE who appreciates working with advocates like ourselves.

Thanks for this update!

I was pretty positive I had found Tamika and Mariah in Texas and not hiding by stretch of the imagination but the photos were so similar and I could not find a press update that said they were no longer being looked for. Glad to know she is safe too.

I wonder if this girl is related to the burning body. There are no updates on who that victim was yet, only that they have have backed off of saying she is a high school age victim and are matching dental records.

mysticrose
02-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Multiple jurisdictions involved ? Well that would tell us she is not from that area, which is not suprising. I am so glad there is a tenative ID for her, it is going to be interesting to hear her story.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Police tentatively indentify abandoned girl
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010

Police say they're not able to release more information about who she is due to the on-going investigation involving multiple jurisdictions

http://whyy.org/cms/news/regional-news/delaware/2010/02/24/police-tentatively-indentify-abandoned-girl/31564

SugarQueen
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Thank you for following up on this. Still hoping this this little one has a wonderful family waiting for her.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Thank you for following up on this. Still hoping this this little one has a wonderful family waiting for her.

You're welcome. I kind of had an idea she was not Mariah when I did not hear back from DE. I then thought Mesa was most likely calling back to determine how I learnt about Mariah, and following through to see if I had any indications she was in any trouble, which of course I do not.

The investigator from Mesa did think the two girls looked a lot alike, and could see how we thought they might be the same person.
Great job SugarQueen!

CarlK90245
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I just had a wonderful phone conversation with the missing persons investigation unit in Mesa. ...

I would be delighted if someone (from this board or elsewhere) could someday solve the mystery of what happened to Mikelle Biggs of Mesa AZ.

I recently saw a Dateline feature story on Mikelle, and it is one of the more haunting mysteries that I have come across.

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/022410_Girl_Abandoned_At_Delaware_Gas_Station

This one specifically thanks the media for helping..

AM528
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM

That is so great to hear that Mariah was located back in August. I hope she is safe and sound and her Mother has gotten help.

It is nice to hear that LE appreciates the work that people here do. Many people here are so good at what they do and have such wonderful skills it amazes me how you can pull together things it's great. :-)

Lavanda Dolce
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
This morning I sent an email alert to all on my email list...a young woman's body, of age 18, was found burned alive on Monday morning in New York in Munsey Park. When I thought about it..I wondered if possible the body could be the mother of the child found in Delaware. I phoned the Delaware police to alert them to the body that the police are asking the public to help identify. What really caught my attention was today's news on this beautiful child and saying she may be from New York and New Jersey. When I talked with the Detective in Delaware they told me they are working on this lead right now as the NY police contacted them. So maybe this is going to be the outcome?
Here is the info:
Police say the young woman found dead and burning in a Rockland County park had the name "Patricia'' tattooed on her lower back...she was black or Hispanic and about 18 years old. She weighed about 120 pounds and was about 5 feet, 2 inches tall. She had recently undergone gallbladder surgery.
LINK: http://www.lohud.com/article/20100224/NEWS03/2240347/-1/newsfront/Monsey-homicide-victim-had-recent-surgery---Patricia--tattoo

Julessleuther
02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
O/T: I agree Carl. She (Mikelle) was abducted a few months after we moved to the area, and we lived near Mesa, so I have followed the story since the beginning. At one time her father suspected a guy who was in prison for other crimes, but he has denied it. I personally think that the ice cream vendor or neighbors should have been investigated further--within 90 seconds of her sister leaving she was gone. I would also love to know what happened to the Leslie sisters of Mesa too.

Regarding this case: You people awe and inspire me. What wonderful work you all did on this, and even though it was not Mariah, you all worked together trying to fit the pieces. We have such a great group of individuals here at WS with humongous hearts. :blowkiss:

I would be delighted if someone (from this board or elsewhere) could someday solve the mystery of what happened to Mikelle Biggs of Mesa AZ.

I recently saw a Dateline feature story on Mikelle, and it is one of the more haunting mysteries that I have come across.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
This morning I sent an email alert to all on my email list...a young woman's body, of age 18, was found burned alive on Monday morning in New York in Munsey Park. When I thought about it..I wondered if possible the body could be the mother of the child found in Delaware. I phoned the Delaware police to alert them to the body that the police are asking the public to help identify. What really caught my attention was today's news on this beautiful child and saying she may be from New York and New Jersey. When I talked with the Detective in Delaware they told me they are working on this lead right now as the NY police contacted them. So maybe this is going to be the outcome?
Here is the info:
Police say the young woman found dead and burning in a Rockland County park had the name "Patricia'' tattooed on her lower back...she was black or Hispanic and about 18 years old. She weighed about 120 pounds and was about 5 feet, 2 inches tall. She had recently undergone gallbladder surgery.
LINK: http://www.lohud.com/article/20100224/NEWS03/2240347/-1/newsfront/Monsey-homicide-victim-had-recent-surgery---Patricia--tattoo

Thank you Lavanda. It doesn't look like this female found in Rockland County has a thread, so I am going to start one for her. We can't let her info get buried here within this thread.

Brattigirle
02-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Thank You so much. It wasn't Mariah but because of your call we know that both girls are safe.:woohoo:

SugarQueen
02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Let's hope the lady in the park ISN"T the Mommy this sweetheart is looking for. She has been thru enough.

Patty G
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Monsey, New York to Newark, Delaware is ~ 156 miles and 2 3/4 hours.

This child could be from the Philadelphia area which is 44 miles and less than an hour drive.

Just wanted to bump this up to show how far Monsey, New York is from Newark, Delaware.

Lavanda Dolce
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Let's hope the lady in the park ISN"T the Mommy this sweetheart is looking for. She has been thru enough.

I agree, however, my gut from the start felt that child was put in there to protect her from someone or something with the hopes that someone would find her. "not abandoned", but more for a protective mode. I especially keep coming back to that since nobody has come forth to identify her...and then when I saw that report this morning...my heart sunk. How awful to have to endure an end of life the way the young woman in NY did...and how awful to be a child alone in a bathroom and then to be with a bunch of strangers. It's a cruel world sometimes:( Prayers this child will be ok...and for the family of the young woman murdered. Cubby..be sure to post the link of the new thread. Hugs.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree, however, my gut from the start felt that child was put in there to protect her from someone or something with the hopes that someone would find her. "not abandoned", but more for a protective mode. I especially keep coming back to that since nobody has come forth to identify her...and then when I saw that report this morning...my heart sunk. How awful to have to endure an end of life the way the young woman in NY did...and how awful to be a child alone in a bathroom and then to be with a bunch of strangers. It's a cruel world sometimes:( Prayers this child will be ok...and for the family of the young woman murdered. Cubby..be sure to post the link of the new thread. Hugs.

Here you go:

NY Monsey, NY Black or hispanic female, appx 18, tattoo "Patricia" 02/22/10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.wilm.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=118659&article=6811167

THis article says still no name, but she is just shy of turning two.

Lavanda Dolce
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Thankfully they have a name now. Prayers all will be well. This is very sad.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you Lavanda. It doesn't look like this female found in Rockland County has a thread, so I am going to start one for her. We can't let her info get buried here within this thread.

I had started a thread yesterday but put it under "Up To The Minute" instead of "Crimes in the News" or "Unidentified". I need to venture out of Cold Cases more often.

Local news here in NY, such as WABC radio, are stating that there is (tentatively) a NY connection to the little girl. That's all thats been stated thus far.

GourmetSoy
02-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I had started a thread yesterday but put it under "Up To The Minute" instead of "Crimes in the News" or "Unidentified". I need to venture out of Cold Cases more often.

Local news here in NY, such as WABC radio, are stating that there is (tentatively) a NY connection to the little girl. That's all thats been stated thus far.

The young woman found burned was found in NY. Maybe she really could be connected afterall! I hope that wasn't her Mommy though, how sad. Hopefully they can reunite her with family that loves her and will care for her soon. Something had to have happened to her mother, it's too strange that she was left in the mens RR. A woman who left her somewhere would have put her in the womens RR like others have stated. I'm wondering if a man abducted the Mom and put the girl in the RR because he didn't want to deal with her. To me that makes the most sense.

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.wilm.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=118659&article=6811167

Her name is not being released, but it seems to be a positive ID and LE knows her name.

dreamweaver
02-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Such a great job of pulling together and working to find out the little girl's identity.

Last Oct., I had a good experience working with AZ county sheriff detective.
Good people there.

It seems we will know the identity of the little girl today.
I am hoping it is not her mother who was found in NY.
But, if it is, the rest of the family will know also
and perhaps, can get custody of the little girl.

Mr. E
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't care if I ever know her name, as long as I know she's identified. However, I do want to know how she ended up in that bathroom.

GourmetSoy
02-24-2010, 05:05 PM
This little girl was found Sunday afternoon I believe. The young woman was found Monday morning at 5:30 am, 2 1/2 hours away from where the little girl was found. Fairly close together, just coincidence?

not_my_kids
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
This little girl was found Sunday afternoon I believe. The young woman was found Monday morning at 5:30 am, 2 1/2 hours away from where the little girl was found. Fairly close together, just coincidence?

Yes, little one was found about 2:45 p.m. 15 hours between the two.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks. I should have looked first. I think the two are ok for now though. If not the mods will merge accordingly.

TY!

Cubby
02-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Such a great job of pulling together and working to find out the little girl's identity.

Last Oct., I had a good experience working with AZ county sheriff detective.
Good people there.

It seems we will know the identity of the little girl today.
I am hoping it is not her mother who was found in NY.
But, if it is, the rest of the family will know also
and perhaps, can get custody of the little girl.

Like Mr. E posted, I am just glad she is identified. I too don't need to know her name.

I can't help but wonder though, if her that is her mommy who was found in NY and she was trying to keep the child safe, maybe she knew the perp was after them and locked the little girl in the bathroom to keep her safe, because she knew the perp could then not get at the child on the other side of that locked door. I pray that is not the case and her mommy is safe, but I can't get rid of that nagging concern.

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Both of them very close to the exits off 95 as well.
Seems more than coincidental to me.
I did send it in yesterday to the the emails that were in the articles about the little girl. Hopefully there is some extended family out there for her.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm figuring that, until a connection is ruled out, we'll be talking about the unidentified victim ("Patricia Doe"?) here more than on the other threads anyway.

Knowing nothing about the subject, I have a question...What about a surgery scar would indicate gall-bladder surgery as opposed to other surgeries? The location of the incision?

amandab
02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Knowing nothing about the subject, I have a question...What about a surgery scar would indicate gall-bladder surgery as opposed to other surgeries? The location of the incision?

I had my gallbladder removed laporoscopically a while back, and have 3 small scars on my side, as well as one right over my belly button. Maybe gallbladder removal leaves that particular set of scars?

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Like Mr. E posted, I am just glad she is identified. I too don't need to know her name.

I can't help but wonder though, if her that is her mommy who was found in NY and she was trying to keep the child safe, maybe she knew the perp was after them and locked the little girl in the bathroom to keep her safe, because she knew the perp could then not get at the child on the other side of that locked door. I pray that is not the case and her mommy is safe, but I can't get rid of that nagging concern.

I still think a male put her in that bathroom, and the fact that mom was found so much later than girl it seems like he was torturing the woman, pull off the highway, take her kid from her, and then 12 horrible hours elapse and her body is found on fire (if they are connected of course).

I am having a hard time reconciling a perp that leaves the kid where she will be found, relatively unharmed, and then set her mother on fire. Of course the fire may have been after death and a bad attempt at destroying evidence.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Both of them very close to the exits off 95 as well.
Seems more than coincidental to me.
I did send it in yesterday to the the emails that were in the articles about the little girl. Hopefully there is some extended family out there for her.

If they are connected, its indicates to me someone with the intent of travelling upstate here in NY. The person would have travelled north on I-95 into NYC, then taken the NY State Thruway (I-87) north. The Thruway continues to Albany and points north. Monsey is off the Thruway just past (north of) the exits for the Palisades Parkway and the Garden State Parkway.

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm figuring that, until a connection is ruled out, we'll be talking about the unidentified victim ("Patricia Doe"?) here more than on the other threads anyway.

I don't know, but they likely discovered it during the autopsy. Probably got it done pretty quickly to due to the circumstances.

I wonder if someone could do a map between both places and post it here. I'd like to see the route and I am sure others would too. (Unless there was already a link to a map I missed?)

tia

If they are related the thought had occured to me that this little girls name is Tricia. The tattoo seems pretty new based on how bright the colors were, the little girl is not very old.... just thinking outloud.

Cubby
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM

I don't know, but they likely discovered it during the autopsy. Probably got it done pretty quickly to due to the circumstances.

I wonder if someone could do a map between both places and post it here. I'd like to see the route and I am sure others would too. (Unless there was already a link to a map I missed?)

tia

Cubby
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
IF the cases are connected, the childs family has to know.... they would know there was some reason why the child was not with her mommy. Hopefully they would also know based on the surgery. Someone had to watch that little girl while her mommy had surgery, if it was her mommy.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
IF the cases are connected, the childs family has to know.... they would know there was some reason why the child was not with her mommy. Hopefully they would also know based on the surgery. Someone had to watch that little girl while her mommy had surgery, if it was her mommy.

The fact that the information has been released that the girl has been ID'd, but nothing is being said as to who she is, gives me a bad feeling. I'd think the first call would be to her next-of-kin then an announcement in the press as to her identity...There must be a reason its being held back.

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

tia

attached

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I did the Google thing too (thanks for posting impatientredhead).

The suggested route includes travel on the GSP...The last couple of exits on the GSP north all connect to roads that lead into the Monsey/Airmont/Spring Valley area.

impatientredhead
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.lohud.com/article/20100224/NEWS03/2240389/-1/newsfront/Charred-body-had-recent-gall-bladder-surgery--investigators-expand-search

Article about the Patricia Doe victim and the investigation.

Patty G
02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Someone needs to call the little girl "Patricia" and see what happens.

MBLover
02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
My first thought on the tatt is that it may be the name of someone who was close to her who is deceased - such as mother, sister or friend.

Patty G
02-24-2010, 06:09 PM

tia

Philadelphia area is really close as well as New Jersey.

Patty G
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
We need to check on the weather conditions from the day this child was found and follow the weather through Pennsylvania up to Monsey, New York.

I know there was some bad weather up north (me in Florida), and this may help with regards to someone possibly traveling ~3 hours to Delaware from New York or is it a state closer like Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

shadowangel
02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
The weather on the NY end was fairly nice Sunday into Monday...Mostly clear, temps edging close to 40.

Weldler Park is a little out of the way...Its used mostly as a tennis center with several tennis and handball courts. I don't see anything in the area that might have cameras, unfortunately.

Trino
02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
If the cases are related, there's the possibility the murderer could have killed the mother first, then driven to the gas station where he locked the little girl in the restroom rather than kill her, too.

~Lisa~
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Talking about the little girl on HLN now

Snackcakes66
02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
they are not releasing the girls' identity to the public at this time....
'Police sources say they are concerned about the mother's safety and do not believe she abandoned her child voluntarily.' As many have thought. Prayers for mom, baby, and family, hopefully more will come to light. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7294836

Lavanda Dolce
02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
they are not releasing the girls' identity to the public at this time....
'Police sources say they are concerned about the mother's safety and do not believe she abandoned her child voluntarily.' As many have thought. Prayers for mom, baby, and family, hopefully more will come to light. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7294836

That makes me even MORE concerned it is the mom found in NY :( Remember, when I spoke with the officer this morning he told me they were "already" talking with NY police as they (NY) contacted them...and my conversation was specific to the woman found burned.