PDA

View Full Version : Connecting JAG to Amber

JBean
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
It seems as though this is about to break.
perhaps the remains location created a connection to JAG or perhaps a connection to JAG led to the remains.
Either which way it sounds like LE is making the connection.

JBean
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Amber-Dubois-Escondido-Chelsea-King-Gardner/3WSDlxSD5UmLdlJnvhelsA.cspx

Escondido Police Link Amber Dubois' Death to Chelsea King Murder Suspect John Gardner

ESCONDIDO - Escondido police revealed Monday afternoon that convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III is the focus of their investigation into the death of Amber Dubois

nursebeeme
03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Police say a registered sex offender is the focus of an investigation into the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois, whose skeletal remains were discovered in a rugged, remote area north of San Diego.

Escondido police said Monday that 30-year-old John Albert Gardner III remains a suspect after Amber's bones were found near Pala.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/03/08/national/a125054S87.DTL#ixzz0hd1Z2iZY

Ghostwheel
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
From the above linked story:

"Investigators close to the case tell San Diego 6 News a hiker discovered the remains, and then notified the authorities."

And that's the only hiker that has ever been through there in the past year and they just happen to see the body everyone has been talking about?

Anyone else here think that reeks?

nursebeeme
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
maybe the hiker was the cop with the tip in his hand

JBean
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM

"Investigators close to the case tell San Diego 6 News a hiker discovered the remains, and then notified the authorities."

And that's the only hiker that has ever been through there in the past year and they just happen to see the body everyone has been talking about?

Unless it is a direct quote from an LE spokesperson I would take it with a grain of salt.

of course in the Caylee Anthony case we had a meter reader find the body near an area that had been searched by professionals.

Kimster
03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
:doh: I was hoping no one would say "meter reader". :angel:

JBean
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
:doh: I was hoping no one would say "meter reader". :angel:
Well it had to be done Kimster.

nursebeeme
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
yeah... meter reader and even michelle bart showed up today!

JBean
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Amber DuBois' Family Disagrees on Who Killed Her

Father Believes It Was Jailed Sex Offender, Grandmother Thinks Someone Else

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/amber-dubois-family-split-killed-chelsea-kings-suspected/story?id=10045235

The M.O. [modus operandi] for Gardner doesn't fit," said Michelle Bart, spokeswoman Dubois' grandmother Sheila Welch. "He stalks his prey and waited for girls in secluded areas where he could take advantage of them. Amber was walking outside in plain sight with other kids on her way to school. She was excited to get to school that day. She had Valentines and wanted to buy a lamb

mahoneys07
03-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Whoopsie

MrLucky917
03-08-2010, 06:34 PM

That isn't an area that hikers would be in, it's behind a gate and up a hill, plus S16 which is the only north/south route from Temecula to Pala for miles is highly traveled...

SoCalSleuth
03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/

The hearing today was to have his probation records unsealed.

TravelingBug
03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
More and more local media is reporting information coming out of authorities in Escondido using the words "a focus" and "the suspect" about JAG in connection with Amber.

Here's yet another of the local news stations we've got.

Local news starts in 15 minutes, so I'm anxious to hear if we get further news, and also details on that mysterious very last minute court proceeding.

ESCONDIDO, Calif. -- Police said a registered sex offender is the focus of an investigation into the death of 14-year-old Amber Dubois, whose skeletal remains were discovered in a remote, rugged area north of San Diego.

Escondido police said Monday that 30-year-old John Albert Gardner III remains a suspect after Amber's bones were found near Pala, more than a year after she disappeared near her school. Police did not elaborate in a statement. They say the crime scene is being processed after the remains were discovered early Saturday.

http://www.10news.com/news/22778772/detail.html

lawlady84
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Amber's grandmother appears mistaken. If these alleged attempted kidnappings were indeed the work of JG, then he fits the profile of Amber's disappearance perfectly. He didn't wait and hide, he followed girls to school in his car! With a gun!

"San Diego police received a report a week ago about a man in a black sedan following a 13-year-old girl as she walked near Bernardo Heights Middle School in Rancho Bernardo, San Diego 6 News reported Thursday morning.

A black sedan frequently seen parked in front of John Albert Gardner III's mother's townhouse in Rancho Bernardo has since been towed away by police, according to the news station.

Gardner also bears a striking resemblance to a composite sketch of a suspect in an attempted abduction of a girl less than four miles from his residence in Lake Elsinore last October.

The Press-Enterprise in Riverside reported that the girl was walking to a friend's house when she was approached by a man driving a sedan. After a brief conversation, the man showed the girl a gun and demanded she get inside his car, but she refused and ran, according to the newspaper. "

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Chelsea-King-missing-Poway-Rancho-Bernardo-jogging/zTLAKar0XUGyf78trbfHvg.cspx

TravelingBug
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
KFMB (8) at 5:

JAG is now "officially a suspect" in Amber's disappearance.

Detectives officially saying he is "the focus" of the investigation.

passionflower
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
My question is why does grandma not think JAG is the guy that killed Amber?
Amber's mom stalked JAG because she was so sure JAG was involved with her daughter missing.

Indianagirl
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Amber Dubois murder linked to John Gardner, sex offender charged with Chelsea King murder

"John Albert Gardner III has been linked to the murder of a second California teenager, though no charges have been filed. For the first time, the Escondido Police Department announced today John Gardner III is the focus of Amber DuBois' murder investigation. The girl's skeletal remains were discovered Saturday in San Diego County. Amber was a 14 year old high school freshman when she disappeared in February 2009 while on her way to school."

http://www.examiner.com/x-30706-Suddenly-Famous-Examiner~y2010m3d9-Amber-Dubois-murder-linked-to-John-Gardner-sex-offender-charged-with-Chelsea-King-murder

Voice4theSilent
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
We are looking possibly at two different methods of acquiring his victims however his M.O. while performing the rape, subduing his victim, etc. may be exactly the same. Plus we already know that one of JAG's victims was picked up while walking to school (in 2000) and two were attacked while running. One can not sucessfully argue that JAG couldn't be involved in Amber's case because the M.O. doesn't match when we already know he has used both methods with his victims. I think his M.O. was less about where he kidnapped/attacked his victims and more about opportunity. IMO.

suzyq211
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
So changing his status from "focus" to "suspect" must mean there's some evidence linking him to Amber, right?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1025290/accused-killer-linked-to-another-girls-death

Nancy2441
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
As further proof that Jag is involved in Amber's death, her cousin spoke about JAG directly.

Amber's parents wouldn't say whether they suspect Chelsea's alleged killer took their daughter's life. Amber's cousin Kelly believes he did. "I hate him. I'm not a person to hate, but I hate him so much!"

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Amber-Dubois-Escondido-Chelsea-King-Gardner/3WSDlxSD5UmLdlJnvhelsA.cspx

Ghostwheel
03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
As further proof that Jag is involved in Amber's death, her cousin spoke about JAG directly.

Amber's parents wouldn't say whether they suspect Chelsea's alleged killer took their daughter's life. Amber's cousin Kelly believes he did. "I hate him. I'm not a person to hate, but I hate him so much!"

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Amber-Dubois-Escondido-Chelsea-King-Gardner/3WSDlxSD5UmLdlJnvhelsA.cspxI am not seeing any further proof, just an opinion. Am I missing something in this article that you can point me to?

TIA

nursebeeme
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
iirc LE said yesterday that they chose their words very carefully for a reason fwiw

TravelingBug
03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
KNSD 7/39 (news at 4) just stated that there was a "closed door" meeting today with all of the leading LE involved in Chelsea's case WITH the Escondido Police Department. They started that while talking about the source of the tip, but I think it's also likely speaking of the fact that authorities meeting (and in a way that it was done publicly enough that media knows about it) from the two cases adds to the likelihood that either a) they KNOW the cases are related, or b) they strongly suspect that's to be the case.

IzzyBlanche
03-09-2010, 08:31 PM
We can only hope the Escondido PD was picking up some tips from SDPD regarding how to decide whether a missing teen is likely a runaway or not. :furious:

Billylee
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
This forum is getting confusing for me. (Maybe just me) Anyway I wanted to copy this post by Nursebeeme to the Grandmother thread, but now it's locked. I think it not only implies that the Bill Garcia is not a spokesperson for Amber's family, but the Grandmother too?

Quote:
Her father, Moe, attended today's hearing for Gardner and said he and Amber's mother, Carrie McGonigle, are the only people who represent the true feelings of their family.

The father was reacting to statements by others, including private investigator Bill Garcia, who said he was told that a tip that led investigators to Amber's body did not come from Gardner, who has not been charged in connection with the girl's death.

"The only spokesperson for Amber and Amber's family will be me or Carrie," he said.
http://www.delmartimes.net/news/2668...minary-hearing

Billylee
03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03-05/local-county-news/gardner-contacted-by-escondido-police-far-more-than-usual

Gardner contacted by Escondido police far more than usual

Contacts with sex offenders are normally made once a year, on or around their birthday, or when they move, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune, which reported that Escondido police declined to explain why Gardner — who used to live in Escondido — was contacted so frequently.

Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter told the Union-Tribune he couldn’t say whether the unusually high number of contacts made with Gardner had anything to do with Amber.

(More at link).

Brwnigirl
03-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Help??
Are there any threads about JAG and his life/crimes?? Thanks!

Brwnigirl
03-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Nevermind, found them on the King forum

passionflower
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Larry King has a program about JAG........victim on NOW!

passionflower
03-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Amber's parents are coming on next after commercial.

Nancy2441
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Amber-Dubois-Parents-Want-Answers-88183537.html

McGonigle said authorities aren't telling her anything about why they believe Gardner may be responsible for her daughter's death.
"They said, 'In time, you will find out,'" McGonigle said.

Source: Amber Dubois' Parents Want Answers | NBC San Diego

primetimemom
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
That's just wrong IMO. This family has been in pain for over a year. The authorities should give the parents all the info they have and ask that they not repeat it if it will hinder the investigation.

cloudajo
03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Larry King Live - March 16, 2010

Jogger who was allegedly attacked by Gardner describes the attack - chilling
Chelea King's parents
Amber's mom (and Robin Sax, Former L.A. Sex Crimes Prosecutor)

Transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1003/16/lkl.01.html

Ghostwheel
03-18-2010, 01:20 AM
That's just wrong IMO. This family has been in pain for over a year. The authorities should give the parents all the info they have and ask that they not repeat it if it will hinder the investigation. It's a great theory, but not everyone can keep their mouth closed. Would it be more important to know everything NOW, and possibly jeopardize the case if you should slip and mention something, or be content to know where your daughter is and that keeping all information from you means her murderer will most likely get identified? That's a tough call, but I'd rather be sure whomever did this to my child was never able to do this to another person again. Ever. Two life sentences running consecutively would keep the guy from ever getting parole, even if he did not get the death penalty.

powayparent
03-18-2010, 11:51 AM
It looks like they got at least some answers yesterday:
“We talked to (Escondido police), and we’re satisfied with what they told us,” McGonigle said yesterday. “Moe and I were both given an update today, and we are content for now.”

Dubois added, “We did get a few answers to some of our questions — stuff we needed to know.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/18/ambers-parents-told-few-details/

jadejazzkayla
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
There was only one gag order signed.

Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter said McGonigle and Dubois spoke with a department representative.

“We have talked to them,” Carter said. “We’re just trying to tell them to relax and let the system work, and we tried to explain that our hands are tied” by a gag order issued by a judge last week.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/18/ambers-parents-told-few-details/

A Superior Court judge issued a gag order yesterday in the case involving John Albert Gardner III, barring attorneys or law enforcement officials from commenting to the media.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/10/gag-order-issued-in-gardner-case/

LE can not give some info from Amber's case to her parents because of the gag order > the gag order was issued in the case involving JAG.

ergo. amber's case involves JAG. in my opinion.

AmandaReckonwith
03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I absolutely agree. JAG is involved.

jadejazzkayla
03-19-2010, 10:09 AM
we all know that JAG "is a focus" in LE's investigation but I couldn't find it's legal definition per se. i am no lawyer but i did try to look it up.

could one of our lawyers give us their interpretation of the legal definition of "focus" and for that matter POI (person of interest). TIA

EDIT: I found a Time magazine article explaining Person of Interest. http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1924318,00.html

(SNIPPED) The term person of interest is meaningless. There's no legal definition, and the Department of Justice doesn't offer a formal meaning — despite the fact that it first popularized the term, during the investigation into the 1996 bombing of venues at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta.

SoCalSleuth
03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Being a "focus" of an investigation simply means they are focusing their attention on him as the perp--ie they are investigating him as being the perp. Being a "person on interest" means they have reason to believe he may be involved. Pretty much the same thing. I think it's interesting the LE is applying Judge Danielson's gag order to Amber's case--a judge can only issue a gag order in a particular case--otherwise the order wouldn't pass constitutional muster as it would be a prior restraint of free speech. That makes me think LE has definite evidence that JAG is involved.

jjenny
03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Being a "focus" of an investigation simply means they are focusing their attention on him as the perp--ie they are investigating him as being the perp. Being a "person on interest" means they have reason to believe he may be involved. Pretty much the same thing. I think it's interesting the LE is applying Judge Danielson's gag order to Amber's case--a judge can only issue a gag order in a particular case--otherwise the order wouldn't pass constitutional muster as it would be a prior restraint of free speech. That makes me think LE has definite evidence that JAG is involved.

If the GAG order only involves Chelsea King case, why would LE apply it to Amber's case, regardless of if they believe he was involved or not? Since the LE is calling him a focus of investigation, then I don't think it's in dispute that they think he was involved. The question is, as to what evidence do they have if any.

jadejazzkayla
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
If the GAG order only involves Chelsea King case, why would LE apply it to Amber's case, regardless of if they believe he was involved or not? Since the LE is calling him a focus of investigation, then I don't think it's in dispute that they think he was involved. The question is, as to what evidence do they have if any.

Amber's parents were told there was a gag order in place regarding information specific to their daughter's case. I never heard that until this article. I only knew of the one signed re: chelsea and candice's case.

(SNIPPED) “We have talked to them,” Carter said. “We’re just trying to tell them to relax and let the system work, and we tried to explain that our hands are tied” by a gag order issued by a judge last week.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...d-few-details/

SoCalSleuth
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Amber's parents were told there was a gag order in place regarding information specific to their daughter's case. I never heard that until this article. I only knew of the one signed re: chelsea and candice's case.

(SNIPPED) “We have talked to them,” Carter said. “We’re just trying to tell them to relax and let the system work, and we tried to explain that our hands are tied” by a gag order issued by a judge last week.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...d-few-details/

Thanks for posting the gag order! I just read it and in no way, shape or form does it apply to Amber's case, which I guess was my point earlier today--I find it interesting that LE is claiming it applies--when clearly it does not.

SoCalSleuth
03-19-2010, 10:20 PM

The only way that LE could worry that the GAG order applied to Amber's case is if while investigating Chelsea's case they found evidence in Amber's case--because depending on what that information was and how they located it--it may be admissible in Chelsea's case.

Ghostwheel
03-20-2010, 01:25 AM
The only way that LE could worry that the GAG order applied to Amber's case is if while investigating Chelsea's case they found evidence in Amber's case--because depending on what that information was and how they located it--it may be admissible in Chelsea's case.Not exactly. If the below is correct, they don't have to have evidence, just an ongoing investigation related to Gardner. So if they are still trying to find evidence to connect him to Amber's murder, the gag order applies. (although they could have evidence, they just don't HAVE to have any)

"It prohibits law enforcement and attorneys from releasing any information or opinion concerning the trial, or evidence that may be offered or on ongoing investigations related to Gardner."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/09/new-hearing-date-set-and-gag-order-issued-chelsea-/

cloudajo
03-20-2010, 07:22 AM
March 20, 2010
Gardner's truck repossessed four days after Amber Dubois went missing

A white pickup truck once owned by accused killer John Gardner has become the focus of crime scene investigators in the Amber Dubois murder case. Records obtained by News 8 show the truck was repossessed from Gardner just four days after the 14-year-old went missing.

The repossession documents prove Gardner was still driving the truck when Amber Dubois vanished while walking to Escondido High School on February 13, 2009.

[snipped]
When it was repossessed, the Silverado had 115, 695 miles on it, according to records provided by Hashemi. That means Gardner put 80,777 miles on the Silverado over the course of 28 months, which averages out to about 35,000 miles per year.

[snipped]
FBI agents seized the vehicle on March 10, 2010, telling the new owner they needed to check out the truck for DNA.

[snipped]
At the time the pickup was repossessed, it was missing one outside mirror and also had damage to the tailgate.

If you think you may have seen John Gardner driving that white pickup truck near Escondido High School, police would like to hear from you.

http://www.760kfmb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12174713

SoCalSleuth
03-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Not exactly. If the below is correct, they don't have to have evidence, just an ongoing investigation related to Gardner. So if they are still trying to find evidence to connect him to Amber's murder, the gag order applies. (although they could have evidence, they just don't HAVE to have any)

"It prohibits law enforcement and attorneys from releasing any information or opinion concerning the trial, or evidence that may be offered or on ongoing investigations related to Gardner."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/09/new-hearing-date-set-and-gag-order-issued-chelsea-/

The article is incorrect. The gag order is posted on its own thread. The terms are contained within the "four corners of the document". It only applies to Chelsea's case. It does not apply to any other investigation involving JAG as that would be an unconstitutional prior restraint on free speech. The only way LE would think the gag order applied to Amber's case is if during their investigation of Chelsea's case they discovered evidence tying JAG to Amber's case and the method used to find that evidence or the evidence itself might be used in Chelsea's trial.

jjenny
03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
The article is incorrect. The gag order is posted on its own thread. The terms are contained within the "four corners of the document". It only applies to Chelsea's case. It does not apply to any other investigation involving JAG as that would be an unconstitutional prior restraint on free speech. The only way LE would think the gag order applied to Amber's case is if during their investigation of Chelsea's case they discovered evidence tying JAG to Amber's case and the method used to find that evidence or the evidence itself might be used in Chelsea's trial.

They might just be using the gag order as an excuse not to reveal information. The parents aren't lawyers, they know there is a gag order in place, so if LE tells them they can't talk because of gag order the parents will believe it. Even LE might think that since there is gag order on JAG they can't talk about him regarding any other case.

jadejazzkayla
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for posting the gag order! I just read it and in no way, shape or form does it apply to Amber's case, which I guess was my point earlier today--I find it interesting that LE is claiming it applies--when clearly it does not.

gag order link

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/10/gardner.gag.order.pdf

1) LE told Amber's parents their hands were tied because of the gag order.
2) the title of the gag order itself State of CA vs John Gardner.

makes it sound like the gag order is attached to JAG himself and not limited to the crimes he is currently charged with.

is there a lawyer type here that could help us understand this better?

Ghostwheel
03-21-2010, 01:53 AM
gag order link

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/10/gardner.gag.order.pdf

1) LE told Amber's parents their hands were tied because of the gag order.
2) the title of the gag order itself State of CA vs John Gardner.

makes it sound like the gag order is attached to JAG himself and not limited to the crimes he is currently charged with.

is there a lawyer type here that could help us understand this better?Obviously the article I posted was correct. This Protective Order to Preserve Due Process Rights of Defendant to a Fair Trial states:
"also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to this case or the defendant." ( I didn't realize it was THAT kind of protective order-I was under the impression it was a suppression of evidence order)

This can be read as "also refrain from commenting on the defendant." thereby meaning they can't comment on JAG. They don't have to have any evidence in Amber's case to say nothing. If they only have suspicions, and possibly are trying to get a solid link to JAG, they would say nothing. Or if they do have something, they would say nothing. Or if they don't have anything, they would say nothing. They don't want to get a change of venue for the CK case based on not being able to get an unbiased jury, and keeping their mouths shut gives them an advantage in that area.

Natal
03-21-2010, 02:21 PM
They (the prosecution and the defendant, as well as their councel and their agents) are prohibited from commenting on investigations involving JAG. This does not apply to the parents of the victims in either case or to any witnesses that might be involved. Also, while LE can't comment on the investigation of JAG's possible involvement in Amber's case, they can comment on her case as it relates to other details.

However, since it is an ongoing investigation of a cold case that has suddenly become hot again after the discovery of her body, chances are they will not say anything for fear of compromising the case. That is probably why they are not saying anything at all. And JAGs potential involvement certainly provides convienent cover for that purpose. Even if they exclude him the gag order would prevent them from saying so at this time.

Ghostwheel
03-22-2010, 12:52 AM
They (the prosecution and the defendant, as well as their councel and their agents) are prohibited from commenting on investigations involving JAG. This does not apply to the parents of the victims in either case or to any witnesses that might be involved. Also, while LE can't comment on the investigation of JAG's possible involvement in Amber's case, they can comment on her case as it relates to other details.

However, since it is an ongoing investigation of a cold case that has suddenly become hot again after the discovery of her body, chances are they will not say anything for fear of compromising the case. That is probably why they are not saying anything at all. And JAGs potential involvement certainly provides convienent cover for that purpose. Even if they exclude him the gag order would prevent them from saying so at this time.

"also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to this case or the defendant."

This sentence can also be read as:
"also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to the defendant." Which means if they are investigating Amber's death in relation to JAG (and they would be fools not to), they can say very little. Maybe tell her parents how she died, and ask that they don't tell anyone. The parents are not required to stay silent unless they signed something to that order, but they would be wise to say nothing. I am certain they would want to make sure nothing is out of order so that whomever killed their daughter will not go free. But the less LE tells them, the less that can slip out in conversation.

When you have a statement like "also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to this case or the defendant."
it comes up looking like the following:

"also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to this case or the defendant."
"also to refrain from commenting on the defendant."
also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to this case."
"also to refrain from commenting on any ongoing investigations in relationship to the defendant."

They covered it pretty well to make sure LE does not talk or have to talk about anything that might possibly have any connection with the CK case OR with the defendant (JAG). It certainly must make it much easier for them when dealing with the press.

Natal
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
The investigation of JAG in connection with Amber is just one part of her investigation, they would be doing other things as well which would not be covered by the gag order. If he was the only thing they were investigating in her case they would have charged him by now.