PDA

View Full Version : WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Texas Mist
03-15-2010, 04:21 AM
MISSING: Woman and Her Son Disappear in Thurston County; Car Found In Waters Of Dana Passage

NEAR OLYMPIA - A desperate search is underway in Thurston County for a mother and her eight-year-old son.

The last time someone heard from Shantina Smiley was 24 hours ago, when she called her fiance.

Just a few hours later, on Sunday morning, her van was spotted partially submerged in the waters of Dana Passage, which is just north of Olympia.

Both doors were open and her wallet was inside, but her purse was gone.

Police say Smiley was heading to Castle Rock from Silverdale, but her fiance, Rob Simmons, says it doesn't add up that she would even be in the area of Dana Passage.

"Being that it was down a dead-end road, and then going down a dirt road around a bluff to the water makes no sense," said Simmons, "she would not go down that road, it's a dead-end."

Simmons says they don't have any friends in that area, and worries something sinister may have happened.

"I'm scared that something bad happened," said Simmons, " and I just want to say to whoever has them, send them home please, just drop them off somewhere, let them be found, let them come home, let them be safe."

Shantina Smiley is 29-years-old, stands about 5'9" tall, and weighs about 140 pounds. She has dark brown hair and brown eyes.

Her son, Azriel Carver is 4'2" tall, about 100 pounds. He has blond hair in a mohawk style, and has brown eyes.

Simmons described them as a "Scout" family, because of how involved they are with the Boy Scouts of America,

Friends say she is responsible, and very loving, and has no history of drug use.

If you know anything, or have seen anything, call 911, or the Thurston County Sheriff's Office dispatch at 360-704-2749

http://www.q13fox.com/media/photo/2010-03/52741972.JPG

===================================
<snip>

The Sheriff's Office is treating the case as suspicious, but detectives have very little information to go on, Watkins said.

He said there are no obvious signs of foul play, but they want to know how where Shantina is - and how her car wound up in the water.

Investigators have determined that Shantina left Silverdale at 5 p.m. Saturday. At 6:45 p.m. she called her boyfriend from a pay phone asking him to get her cell phone, but he didn't answer, Mealy said.

Detectives found a receipt at a local business that places her in northeast Olympia at 7:55 p.m.

At 11:15 p.m. Shantina's car was found submerged in North Gull Harbor.

Her wallet was found inside the car with everything in it, but not her purse, Mealy said. The doors of the car were open when it was discovered.

Mealy said Shantina has no history of mental illness or any other known problem. She works as a portrait photographer in the Silverdale area.

Contrary to earlier reports, she was not visiting a friend in the area, she was just heading to her stepfather's home in Castle Rock.

Investigators conducted a boat search of North Gull Harbor and the immediate area, as well as the beach area, but found no trace of Shantina or her son. Deputies also are canvassing the neighborhood.

The investigation continues.

more here

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/87628727.html

=======================================

<snip>

A woman and her 8-year old son were missing after the van she was driving was found on the beach at Little Fishtrap, near Boston Harbor, on Sunday morning.

Shantina M. Smiley, 29, of Silverdale, and her son, Azriel J. Carver, were on their way Saturday evening to meet with her stepfather in Castle Rock on Saturday evening, said Thurston County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Chris Mealy.

The next morning, local resident Jim Pribbenow was alerted by a neighbor to the gold 2005 Dodge Caravan on private beachfront property around 10:30 a.m.

“The back hatch and the side door was open,” Pribbenow said. “The front end had gone in the mud and you could see where the wheels had spun in trying to back out.”

Smiley’s wallet was inside but her purse was missing, and there was no indication of where she and Azriel went, Mealy said. The interior of the van was wet, he said.

“We don’t know if she was, unfortunately, a victim of a crime, or someone gave them a bus ticket and they haven’t seen the news yet,” Mealy said.

more here

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/14/1172699/woman-and-8-year-old-son-missing.html

========================

FWIW-- here's a timeline but it's an "examiner.com" article -- I haven't had time yet to verify it

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d14-Olympia--Desperate-search-for-mother-and-8year-old-son-fiance-believes-could-be-sinister

ETA:

<snip>
Police say 29-year-old Shantina Smiley borrowed her fiancee's minivan on Saturday. Late Sunday morning that vehicle was found partially submerged in Budd Inlet.
Some neighbors found the van Sunday morning, down a dead end dirt road north of Olympia. It was at the bottom of a hill, in the water. The doors were open, and no one was inside.

"We have no idea what happened," says Thurston County Sheriff's Lt. Chris Mealy, "She could have been the victim of a crime, she could have wandered off."

Smiley, no Azriel, would have had any reason to come to the area. Search and Rescue crews scoured the wooded terrain looking for clues and answers. They also searched the shoreline, but found nothing of importance.

Simmons says Shantina did contact a family member at about 10pm last night to says she had been in an accident, but was okay. :confused:

Police says Shantina is 5'9" tall, with dark hair, and 140 pounds. Simmons says she has numerous tattoos, including one on her neck, and both wrists. She also had a couple lightning bolts on her back. Azriel is 4'2", 100 pounds, with a blonde mohawk.

ETA2: her MS http://www.myspace.com/neiko_82

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Shantina has a FB page also.
It is set to private.
No friend has a status about Shantina.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 07:03 AM
In reading things over, it appears that she did call a relative around 10pm and say she had been in an accident.
???? I am not sure of that.

The car was found in water. Per news reports, they would have had to travel down a dead end dirt road and then the car went into the river.
The car had its doors and the hatchback open.

It doesn't sound too good.
But, it might be a hike out of the area where the van was found,
but both are in Scouts
and have some training.
So many questions.
Hopefully at day's light, there will be a search of the water and the surrounding area.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/14/1172699/woman-and-8-year-old-son-missing.html
Read comments section:
A post from a waitress from the diner they were at that night.
=======================
Wantmy, I work at the Martin way diner..your stepmom and Azriel were in about 9 pm Saturday. They ordered a corn dog and tater tots to go, and payed for them, but while I was cooking their dinner, I watched them get up and leave. I didn't think too much about it, but they never came back. My waitress asked me what should we do with their order, and I told her to just wait..they might come back..My waitress told me that the woman seemed drunk, but the kid told my waitress. "Mommy hit her head". We wondered if she might have a concussion. We reviewed our security tapes, and she fell down outside the restaurant. She might have had a concussion..I don't know if she was a drinker or not, but she didn't order any alcohol at our place..I hope they're ok..I ended up taking that dinner home for myself, and it eats at me that I might have take azreils last meal..

=========================
I have no way of knowing if this is accurate information or not.
Hopefully, if it is true, that this person has called the police.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 07:27 AM
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-martin-way-diner-olympia
The Martin Way Diner, Olympia WA

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Per mapquest:
Silverdale WA to Castle Rock WA is
a 2 hr, 9 minute drive.
120.23 miles.

Olympia, WA is about half way to Castle Rock, WA.
It is 98 minutes from Silverdale, WA.
57.21 miles.

Gull Harbor and the other two locations
are all withing one half mile of each other,
around Olympia, WA.

So, what happened?
She leaves at 5pm or 4:15pm, depending on which news report is accurate.
She should get to Olympia, WA area
after one hour on the road, 6pm or 5:15pm...?

6:45pm - Call from pay phone at Handy Pantry to fiance.
7:55pm - in NE Olympia

I would think maybe she stopped for dinner, but
10pm, or right before 10pm was when they were at the diner.
10:10pm, or right after 10pm called grandparents from a house nearby. She asked to use their phone.
This home 4 - 5 miles from where van was found.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Santina and son left around 5pm.
Santina should have been at her stepdad's house by 7pm.
They stopped one halfway there in Olympia, WA
and stayed there the rest of the time.
So, from 6pm or so on,
what did they do?

They don't order dinner until nearly 10pm.

Perhaps they had an earlier fast food meal?
Perhaps there was car trouble, although there is no mention of that?
They stopped for gas?
Why didn't she call her stepdad when she called her grandparents?

That is still nearly four hours before they are at the diner.
????

Texas Mist
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Read comments section:
A post from a waitress from the diner they were at that night.
=======================
Wantmy, I work at the Martin way diner..your stepmom and Azriel were in about 9 pm Saturday. They ordered a corn dog and tater tots to go, and payed for them, but while I was cooking their dinner, I watched them get up and leave. I didn't think too much about it, but they never came back. My waitress asked me what should we do with their order, and I told her to just wait..they might come back..My waitress told me that the woman seemed drunk, but the kid told my waitress. "Mommy hit her head". We wondered if she might have a concussion. We reviewed our security tapes, and she fell down outside the restaurant. She might have had a concussion..I don't know if she was a drinker or not, but she didn't order any alcohol at our place..I hope they're ok..I ended up taking that dinner home for myself, and it eats at me that I might have take azreils last meal..

=========================
I have no way of knowing if this is accurate information or not.
Hopefully, if it is true, that this person has called the police.

I hope some posters who are familiar w/ the area let us know what it's like in that area, how heavily travelled the roads are, etc.

Prayers for Kat & little Azriel that they are safe & found any minute now.

LogicalMinds
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
??? I wonder if the vehicle shows a prior accident?? It sounds as if Shantina had a head injury?? Or maybe even some sort of stroke, despite her young age that would be possible??

Here's hoping that they are in those woods or area alive...hopefully the scout training will help them?? I wonder if she led them out there and now this poor little guy is there trying to take care of her?

Oh how sad that she didn't seem worse in the diner and they might have called 911 for her...but hindsight is always flawless...I guess that she looked normal enough there?? The fact she fell outside is worrysome IMHO

I am NOT a medical professional but this does sound like some sort of brain problem or head injury or ??

Blondie in Spokane
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm concerned as well for their safety. The possible head injury is very troubling.....am hoping Nursebeeme or Nurselady show up on this thread soon and lend their invaluable expertise and insight.

coklat
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I hope some posters who are familiar w/ the area let us know what it's like in that area, how heavily travelled the roads are, etc.

Prayers for Kat & little Azriel that they are safe & found any minute now.

Martin Way (where the diner is) is a major thoroughfare in Olympia/Lacey, though the area of the diner is less traveled than the parts closer to central Oly or Lacey. Still, it there would be a large number of cars passing this area on a Saturday night.

Gull Harbor is on the way to Boston Harbor, a small community. While this is a less traveled area, there are lots of houses in this area so there is some vehicle traffic here, especially on Boston Harbor Rd. I'm not sure exactly where the car was found, sounds like it might be near here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gull+harbor+dr,+olympia,+wa&sll=47.078844,-122.891646&sspn=0.124849,0.326157&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gull+Harbor+Dr+NE,+Olympia,+Thurston,+Washin gton+98506&ll=47.119205,-122.893925&spn=0.062377,0.163078&z=13

Sounds like what happened is this:
Shantina & Azriel set out for Castle Rock. Not sure what condition she is in or what may have happened along the way, but they arrive in the Olympia area (via I-5 south) later than they had intended. One or both are hungry, so they stop at the Martin Way diner (easy to get there from the Pacific Ave. exit on I-5) for food. They leave before getting the food for some unknown reason; Shantina is disoriented, according to staff. Shantina drives down State St. If she turned left at Plum St., it would take them directly to I-5 south; instead, she turns right at that intersection, which puts her on East Bay Dr., which turns into Boston Harbor Rd. Her car is found not far off of Boston Harbor Rd.

coklat
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Ok, in reading more, it sounds like the car was found in this general area (or on nearby Island View Ct.), not Gull Harbor:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=8300+zangle+rd,+olympia,+wa&sll=47.152369,-122.872467&sspn=0.007792,0.020385&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=8300+Zangle+Rd+NE,+Olympia,+Thurston,+Washin gton+98506&ll=47.15056,-122.878475&spn=0.03117,0.081539&z=14

This area, being past the community of Boston Harbor, would see less traffic than the Gull Harbor area.

coklat
03-15-2010, 11:58 AM
a new article from the Olympian, which points out that the car was found on Zangle Rd. (the location in my map immediately above), and that Shantina called her fiance at 7:30 to say that they had arrived in Olympia.

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/15/1172788/van-found-on-beach-but-mom-boy.html#storylink=omni_popular

BOSTON HARBOR - A woman and her 8-year old son were missing after the van she was driving was found on the beach at Little Fishtrap, near Boston Harbor, on Sunday morning.

On Sunday, police boats were on the water and searchers walked up and down the beach searching for the pair, Mealy said, and the neighborhood on Zangle Road Northeast was canvassed for any sign of the two.

Searchers also planned to talk to residents across Dana Passage on Harstine Island, in case someone noted when the van arrived on the beach, he said.

Knox
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I hope Shantina and her son are found safe and sound. Odd that she did not have her cell phone with her? This smacks of Morgan Harrington.

marcyjoy
03-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Fiance's web page with info: http://www.robbsimmons.com/

Blondie in Spokane
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the link Marcyjoy.....this does not sound good at all.

Texas Mist
03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Fiance's web page with info: http://www.robbsimmons.com/

I hope that they are safe somewhere, with someone kind who took them in out of the cold.

Rob sounds genuinely distraught -- unlike so many other men in missing womens' cases....prayers for him & their families.

Knox
03-15-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.myspace.com/neiko_82

Shantina's MS Page, what a beautiful young woman.

Knox
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
1 Smiley, Shantina Marie
Defendant Cowlitz District C09522359 04-14-2005
2 Smiley, Shantina Marie
Petitioner (http://dw.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm?fa=home.casesummary&crt_itl_nu=S08&casenumber=05-2-01175-1&searchtype=sName&token=6FBFB9C9A9C4C1A85394158AF4C94A7E&dt=4C69761DCBC4CCDED32AACAE67E14A23) Cowlitz Superior Ct 05-2-01175-1 07-01-2005
3 Smiley, Shantina Marie
Respondent Cowlitz Superior Ct 01-3-00376-8 06-22-2001

Couple of older cases. If you cross reference the case number on #2 you will see a DV-PO and I assume the other party is the Father of her son. Do we know if there have been any recent problems or issues with CBW?

Amster
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
IF the diner story is accurate, sounds like something was definitely wrong with her. And, why would she stop at some random house to use the phone? Why not a pay phone? Would like to hear from the person/people from the house. How was she acting? Was her son with her? What was she doing during the day before she left?

Texas Mist
03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
??? I wonder if the vehicle shows a prior accident?? It sounds as if Shantina had a head injury?? Or maybe even some sort of stroke, despite her young age that would be possible??

Here's hoping that they are in those woods or area alive...hopefully the scout training will help them?? I wonder if she led them out there and now this poor little guy is there trying to take care of her?

Oh how sad that she didn't seem worse in the diner and they might have called 911 for her...but hindsight is always flawless...I guess that she looked normal enough there?? The fact she fell outside is worrysome IMHO

I am NOT a medical professional but this does sound like some sort of brain problem or head injury or ??

Looks like the waitress was right about her falling in the parking lot. :(

<snip>
Simmons also said Smiley stopped at the Martin Way Diner for food about 9 p.m., purchased the food and walked away without taking it.

Chamberlain said the woman apparently fell in the restaurant parking lot. When she stopped by a house to ask directions, those in the house said she appeared disoriented and indicated she'd hurt her knee, apparently in the fall. "She looked a little out of sorts," Chamberlain said.

Lt. Chris Mealy, with the Thurston County Sheriff's Office, told The Associated Press that Smiley has no history of mental illness or any other problems.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011351454_missing16m.html

coklat
03-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Couple of older cases. If you cross reference the case number on #2 you will see a DV-PO and I assume the other party is the Father of her son. Do we know if there have been any recent problems or issues with CBW?

What's interesting is that Cowlitz County is in southern WA, not near Olympia or Silverlake. Castle Rock IS in Cowlitz County. The finace's website says that Azriel's father lives in New York, and that the person they (Shantina, Azriel, and the fiance, who was traveling in a separate car) were visiting in Castle Rock is Shantina's stepfather.

I don't mean to insinuate that the stepfather is in any way involved in these Cowlitz Co. court proceedings.

Knox
03-15-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.myspace.com/cynthetek
RS's Myspace-

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
How unfortunate that she forgot her cell phone.

http://www.robbsimmons.com/

Knox
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
What's interesting is that Cowlitz County is in southern WA, not near Olympia or Silverlake. Castle Rock IS in Cowlitz County. The finace's website says that Azriel's father lives in New York, and that the person they (Shantina, Azriel, and the fiance, who was traveling in a separate car) were visiting in Castle Rock is Shantina's stepfather.

I don't mean to insinuate that the stepfather is in any way involved in these Cowlitz Co. court proceedings.

She graduated from High School in Castle Rock. Look at her MS Page. I looked up the guy on the Court Case. He is only 30, so not likely the step-father, nor the Father of her son.

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Here is her FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/shantina.smiley

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Also has pictures of the van at the bottom.

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Also has pictures of the van at the bottom.

Thanks. They must have just been added, I just read the article a few minutes ago and didn't see them.

http://www.robbsimmons.com/index_files/image301.jpg

http://www.robbsimmons.com/index_files/image299.jpg

detektiv
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Prayers for these two...

Hopefully they set out walking from the car and will be found safely soon.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM

I do not know this family at all, but
one news article said that her fiance called a former boy friend of Shantina's and her son's father, who is in NY.

Malini2001
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I wonder if she had a head injury even before she fell at the diner? It seems there is a few hours unaccounted for before she made it to the diner.

It sounds like she had run into traffic earlier (per the fiance's website), but she also appeared to be lost.

Since the van doors were open when the van was found, I hope that means they made it out of the water safely. Strange that her purse was gone but her wallet was there, although the wallet may have falllen out unnoticed if she grabbed the purse quickly while getting out of the van. Whatever the cause, it sounds like something was mentally off. I hope she and her son are found okay.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I wonder if she had a head injury even before she fell at the diner? It seems there is a few hours unaccounted for before she made it to the diner.

It sounds like she had run into traffic earlier (per the fiance's website), but she also appeared to be lost.

Since the van doors were open when the van was found, I hope that means they made it out of the water safely. Strange that her purse was gone but her wallet was there, although the wallet may have falllen out unnoticed if she grabbed the purse quickly while getting out of the van. Whatever the cause, it sounds like something was mentally off. I hope she and her son are found okay.

I was thinking the same thing.
She gets delayed in traffic.
And, I am unsure of this, but she might have had a minor traffic accident,
: her fiance says the van's bumper looks dented slightly. If that happened, perhaps she had a concussion.
It could account for her still in Olympia area hours after she arrived there and going to get food at the diner at 9pm, 9:30pm or nearly 10pm, depending on which news source you read.
And there is where her son supposedly sons that mom fell down.

Maybe disoriented, takes wrong turn back to the freeway,
stops, asks for directions, and then I think this is where she called her grandparents.
But then made another wrong turn.

I do hope they are trudging along somewhere, trying to make it home.
You would think they would knock on a house and ask for help, use the phone, ask the people to call the police.?

Holding onto hope for them.

RoseWhite
03-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I just read this article. A long time has past for them to be trudging out and way from the van. I hope they are found safe. It does sound like she was having physical problem. (I had a young-ish friend who had a mild stroke while driving and she became very confused.)

My other fear is that she asked another person for directions, that person jumped in the van with them and lead them to danger. I really really hope that is not the case.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I hope they are safe and well.

My fear or concern in this case is that
she did have some kind of physical head injury
or a possible mini stroke or seizure
and she collapsed. That her son is staying with
his mom.
If so, they can't be too far away.

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Here is another family members page...she is giving good updates.

http://twitter.com/NickyOnStarship

Amster
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Looks like the waitress was right about her falling in the parking lot. :(

<snip>
Simmons also said Smiley stopped at the Martin Way Diner for food about 9 p.m., purchased the food and walked away without taking it.

Chamberlain said the woman apparently fell in the restaurant parking lot. When she stopped by a house to ask directions, those in the house said she appeared disoriented and indicated she'd hurt her knee, apparently in the fall. "She looked a little out of sorts," Chamberlain said.

Lt. Chris Mealy, with the Thurston County Sheriff's Office, told The Associated Press that Smiley has no history of mental illness or any other problems.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011351454_missing16m.html

ok...so the van was backed in the water? I thought it went in nose first....so, it does sound like she was turning around.

Very confusing....

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Here is another family members page...she is giving good updates.

from the twitter link above:
stepdaughter posts:

<LI id=status_10532486519 class="hentry u-NickyOnStarship status" done25="10" done24="10" done23="10" done21="10" done19="10" done8="10" done5="10">the dogs have picked up on something!!!!!!!!! about 1 hours ago (http://twitter.com/NickyOnStarship/status/10532486519)via web ...

Hoping they are close to finding them!

Amster
03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
from the twitter link above:
stepdaughter posts:

<LI id=status_10532486519 class="hentry u-NickyOnStarship status" done25="10" done24="10" done23="10" done21="10" done19="10" done8="10" done5="10">the dogs have picked up on something!!!!!!!!! about 1 hours ago (http://twitter.com/NickyOnStarship/status/10532486519)via web ...

Hoping they are close to finding them!

Yes....crossing fingers....praying....

armywife
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Edited - misread dates.

I hope they are found safe soon.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Hoping for good news soon!

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
She visited with her grandparents around 10PM after she left the diner? How was her behavior at that time? What did she say? IMO, it sounds like the grandparents are the last known to have seen Shantina and her son?

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I've been following this since I checked local news this morning. One thing I find odd is that she would go visit her step father on a Sunday night. She seemed to get a late start especially since it was a school night. I looked up the Silverdale school calendar (assuming that is Central Kitsap School District), and they are not on spring break until the end of the month.

She left for the trip to her stepfather's house on Sat. evening.

dreamweaver
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
She visited with her grandparents around 10PM after she left the diner? How was her behavior at that time? What did she say? IMO, it sounds like the grandparents are the last known to have seen Shantina and her son?

No, no visit with grandparents.

She stopped at a house after she left the diner.
She seems to have been disoreiented.
The people there allowed her to call her grandparents on their phone.
Her phone had been left behind at her house.

armywife
03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
She left for the trip to her stepfather's house on Sat. evening.

Thanks. I misread.

Amster
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Odd that she called her grandparents instead of step-dad or fiance....she must have a head injury or mental problem or alcohol or drugs or something. Poor little boy must be terrified!

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
from twitter ( stepdaughter): No other signs yet,,,30 min ago

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Do we have a scanner thread going on this yet?

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 05:51 PM
No, no visit with grandparents.

She stopped at a house after she left the diner.
She seems to have been disoreiented.
The people there allowed her to call her grandparents on their phone.
Her phone had been left behind at her house.

Thank you. I completely had the details mucked up on that didn't I?

TGIRecovered
03-15-2010, 06:04 PM
It is frustrating to read that so so many people saw that this poor woman was disoriented, possibly injured and in need of some kind of help, yet failed to try to detain her long enough to call for help of any kind!

She was obviously trying her best to care for her son, ordering food for him, even in her impared state. The child reportedly told the waitress that his mother had hit her head. Why didn't anyone try to talk to her; offer to help?

Were they on foot when they went to someone's home to use their phone? Where did that homeowner think she was going after she used their phone, on foot and with a young boy late at night? Why didn't someone have the good sense to insist that she wait for help? It sounds like the boy was aware that his mom's head injury had left her somewhat impared...why did adults not help him?!!!!!!!!!!!

TGIRecovered
03-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I hope that if I am ever injured and disoriented, I stumble upon the home of a Websleuth who will be nosey and bold enough to find out who I am and get me some help!

ETA: SuziQ, you would help me, wouldn't you?

raeann
03-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I hope that if I am ever injured and disoriented, I stumble upon the home of a Websleuth who will be nosey and bold enough to find out who I am and get me some help!

LOL....maybe we need some WS "safehouse" window decals!!!!!

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Definitely! Wasn't anyone concerned for the kid?

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
It is frustrating to read that so so many people saw that this poor woman was disoriented, possibly injured and in need of some kind of help, yet failed to try to detain her long enough to call for help of any kind!

She was obviously trying her best to care for her son, ordering food for him, even in her impared state. The child reportedly told the waitress that his mother had hit her head. Why didn't anyone try to talk to her; offer to help?

Were they on foot when they went to someone's home to use their phone? Where did that homeowner think she was going after she used their phone, on foot and with a young boy late at night? Why didn't someone have the good sense to insist that she wait for help? It sounds like the boy was aware that his mom's head injury had left her somewhat impared...why did adults not help him?!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess people just don't think. That is the only thing I can think of. The boy must have stayed with his Mom. This is so concerning, I hope this turns out alright.

RoseWhite
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm glad they brought in dogs. It is the first and soonest thing they should do, IMHO.

TGIRecovered
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
LOL....maybe we need some WS "safehouse" window decals!!!!!

"WARNING- I have a brain and I am not afraid to use it!"

marcyjoy
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
This link indicates that they homeowners didn't notice anything wrong - only that the boy was hungry: http://www.king5.com/news/Search-to-continue-for-missing-Silverdale-mother-young-son--87648637.html

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
link to Surveillance video

http://www.king5.com/video/featured-videos/Raw-Surveillance-video-shows-missing-mom-child-87710817.html

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
link to Surveillance video

http://www.king5.com/video/featured-videos/Raw-Surveillance-video-shows-missing-mom-child-87710817.html

Everything seems completely fine at that point.

Amster
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
She looks like she's smiling at someone....just strange! She had just ordered food, paid for it and is leaving without waiting for it. Her son said she had hit her head....I wonder when? After going out the door of the diner is when she fell? Why was nobody worried enough to report her strange behavior? I would think she was drunk if I witnessed her leaving without her order and falling down in the parking lot!

Where do the grandparents live? She wasn't going to see them. Didn't they think it was odd that she called them? Too many questions...

nurselady
03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Sounds like something is definitely going on with her..it could be so many things one could not even guess..hopefully they find them soon!!

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
bf facebook site ( photography & DJ business) Shantina is on it. looks like her son in some nice Christmas pics.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silverdale-WA/Robb-Simmons-Photography-Mobile-DJ/175150949629#!/pages/Silverdale-WA/Robb-Simmons-Photography-Mobile-DJ/175150949629?v=wall

Fairy1
03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I so, so, so hope they're ok.

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Ok here is my google map and time line:

http://<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=silverdale+WA&amp;daddr=N+Ha rmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:242 3+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BOSTON+HARBO R+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr+,+Olympia ,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+wa+to:cast le+rock+wa&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&amp;gl=us&amp;mra=ls&amp;via=1&amp;sll=47.151538,-122.878711&amp;sspn=0.005341,0.013111&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=4 6.959805,-122.7362&amp;spn=1.312164,2.334595&amp;z=8&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=silverdale+WA&amp;daddr=N+ Harmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:2 423+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BOSTON+HAR BOR+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr+,+Olymp ia,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+wa+to:ca stle+rock+wa&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&amp;gl=us&amp;mra=ls&amp;via=1&amp;sll=47.151538,-122.878711&amp;sspn=0.005341,0.013111&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=4 6.959805,-122.7362&amp;spn=1.312164,2.334595&amp;z=8" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

A- Silverdale, WA
B- Handy Pantry Market 7:50 PM
C- Martin Way Diner (corn Dog) 9:00 PM
D- Gull Harbor Merchantile 9:55 PM
E- Dennis Williams House (used phone)-10:10 PM
F- Home of Jim Pribbenow- guy who found car on his beach 10:00 AM Sunday
G- New Castle WA, home of her step-father

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Ok here is my google map and time line:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=silverdale+WA&daddr=N+Harmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA, +WA+to:2423+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BO STON+HARBOR+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr +,+Olympia,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+ wa+to:castle+rock+wa&hl=en&geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&gl=us&mra=ls&via=1&sll=47.151538,-122.878711&sspn=0.005341,0.013111&ie=UTF8&ll=47.054686,-122.831268&spn=0.337291,0.891953&t=h&z=11http://<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=silverdale+WA&amp;daddr=N+Ha rmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:242 3+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BOSTON+HARBO R+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr+,+Olympia ,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+wa+to:cast le+rock+wa&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&amp;gl=us&amp;mra=ls&amp;via=1&amp;sll=47.151538,-122.878711&amp;sspn=0.005341,0.013111&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=4 6.959805,-122.7362&amp;spn=1.312164,2.334595&amp;z=8&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=silverdale+WA&amp;daddr=N+ Harmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:2 423+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BOSTON+HAR BOR+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr+,+Olymp ia,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+wa+to:ca stle+rock+wa&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&amp;gl=us&amp;mra=ls&amp;via=1&amp;sll=47.151538,-122.878711&amp;sspn=0.005341,0.013111&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=4 6.959805,-122.7362&amp;spn=1.312164,2.334595&amp;z=8" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

A- Silverdale, WA

Thanks for the map.

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=silverdale+WA&daddr=N+Harmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA, +WA+to:2423+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BO STON+HARBOR+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr +,+Olympia,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+ wa+to:castle+rock+wa&hl=en&geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&gl=us&mra=ls&via=1&sll=47.151538,-122.878711&sspn=0.005341,0.013111&ie=UTF8&ll=47.054686,-122.831268&spn=0.337291,0.891953&t=h&z=11

FINALLY....Sorry for the delay.

paris_paris
03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanx for the map. They really got sidetracked from their destination?

I'm wondering... it was said that her wallet was in the van, but not her purse. Maybe she left her purse at point D by accident, realized it at point E, headed back to D and missed the place, and ended up at point F.

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
There is one Sex offender within a 2 mile radius from where the car was found...

http://www.icrimewatch.net/results.php?AgencyID=54490&whichaddr=&SubmitAddrSearch=1&AddrStreet=8345+zangle+rd&AddrCity=olympia&AddrState=48&AddrZip=98506&AddrZipPlus=

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I had Cub Scout Training that was planned to finish at 6:30

Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

My training wrapped up at 4:30, I figured that she was already on the road heading to Castle Rock, so I proceeds to Castle Rock as well

He asked for cell charger, yet she forgot her phone, wouldn't that kind of remark jog your memory to bring yours.

If he was going to be leaving 15 min after her, was it even mentioned meeting was almost done.

It would make sense to do the drive in one vehicle unless she was planning to stay longer. jmo

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 10:31 PM
The video I linked earlier. Does anyone know which store that was? Poor little guy looks tired.

Malini2001
03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
She looks like she's smiling at someone....just strange! She had just ordered food, paid for it and is leaving without waiting for it. Her son said she had hit her head....I wonder when? After going out the door of the diner is when she fell? Why was nobody worried enough to report her strange behavior? I would think she was drunk if I witnessed her leaving without her order and falling down in the parking lot!

Where do the grandparents live? She wasn't going to see them. Didn't they think it was odd that she called them? Too many questions...

She must have hit her head before going in the diner because her son told the waitress that it had happened. I am not clear on whether she fell outside the diner before or after going in? Was the son talking about a different incident when she hit her head? If she fell going out, there must have been another incident - maybe a car accident?

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Makes me wonder if she didn't get turned around, then decided that since it was so late that she should just turn around and go home.

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Makes me wonder if she didn't get turned around, then decided that since it was so late that she should just turn around and go home.

It's weird that she crosses the freeway and ends up at location E where she made the phone call and asks directions for the freeway. But then crosses the freeway again and at somepoint ends up at location F.

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanx for the map. They really got sidetracked from their destination?

I'm wondering... it was said that her wallet was in the van, but not her purse. Maybe she left her purse at point D by accident, realized it at point E, headed back to D and missed the place, and ended up at point F.

I wonder if she left her purse at home, and it had her cell in it. I could be wrong on the map for point D, I couldn't find a Gulf Harbor Mercantile, only a Gull harbor merchantile. Williams says that he is only a mile away, but the map shows it at 10 miles.

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 10:47 PM
update,,stepdaughter on twitter,,,dogs lost trail,,we are trying to keep our hopes up

up.http://twitter.com/NickyOnStarship

SuziQ
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
A- Silverdale, WA
G- New Castle WA, home of her step-father

I wonder if she fell at Handy Pantry and that's where she hit her head? It seems once they pulled off there it all went downhill and she can't seem to find a freeway entrance. At close look it looks like the freeway onramps and offramps aren't where you would expect them to be. I hate getting lost in areas like that. You can see the dang freeway, but you can't find the onramp.

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
update twitter,,my Dads doing a little better. Please everyone help make us whole again

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I would think she would know she wasn't on I 5 anymore, and unless they are totally in the boonies it seems like the boy would be able to get help if he were able to. He did tell the waitress his Mom had hit her head.

RubyRed
03-15-2010, 11:09 PM
twitter,,says she just saw last video of them and it really hurts

mtrooper
03-15-2010, 11:41 PM
I wonder if there was something else that caused her to fall, and that is the underlying problem. Like low blood sugar, made her feel confused so she stopped to eat, then fell...possibly became embarrassed and left?, went to use phone, and got turned around again.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/87713417.html?skipthumb=Y

Silas smith- Smileys Step grand father seems very concerned.

JenniferO
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
It's weird that she crosses the freeway and ends up at location E where she made the phone call and asks directions for the freeway. But then crosses the freeway again and at somepoint ends up at location F.

I think E is the wrong address. Kiro 7 said it was on 46th Ave which makes way more sense.
(how do I attach my version of the map from google using the 46th ave address?)

Smiley was then traced to a grocery store in Boston Harbor at 9:50 p.m. and then she stopped at the home of Dennis Williams in the 1400 block of 46th Avenue Northeast at about 10 p.m

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22842562/detail.html

breanna
03-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm familiar with this area. I really don't get this whole thing. I had been reading and listening to local news, should have known WS would be on top of it!

I don't understand how she ended up where she did. She had to have left the diner on Martin Way and headed down State St. If you're not in the far left lane, you're going to miss Plum street and the exit to I-5. She must have been in the right lane and gone right down East Bay Dr., correct?

Also don't understand how she ended up at the diner on Martin Way to begin with. When you exit I-5 in Lacey there are many places to eat. You have to travel a ways down Martin Way to get to this diner.

JenniferO
03-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Breanna, She was on the west side at the Handy Pantry (way out on Division) before she ever even went to the Martin Way diner. I just don't get this.

I'm thinking she came down 101 from Shelton area, got off on the Mud Bay exit, went down Harrison and for some reason turned on Division to get to the Handy Pantry (which is strange to start with considering she would have passed Safeway and how many other grocery stores/gas stations to get to Division). After leaving the Handy Pantry she got back on Harrison/4th and decided for whatever reason to stop at the diner.

breanna
03-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Breanna, She was on the west side at the Handy Pantry (way out on Division) before she ever even went to the Martin Way diner. I just don't get this.

Ok. I know where that's at. You are right. I don't get it either.

Her whole route makes no sense whatsoever.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:22 AM
A woman heading to her stepfather's house was "beyond lost" when she and her 8-year-old son took one wrong turn after another through the backroads of Thurston County and onto a private Puget Sound beach, authorities said Monday.
The minivan driven by Shantina Smiley, 29, was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.

"Apparently she got stuck and abandoned the car," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the county sheriff's office. There was no indication that a crime took place inside the 2005 Dodge Caravan, he added.

Detectives have traced Smiley's path from her home in Silverdale to the far reaches of Thurston County, more than 50 miles north of her stepfather's house in Castle Rock in Cowlitz County and far from any road that would have led her there.

http://www.examiner.com/a-2528277~Woman__son_missing_after_van_found_on_Wash __beach.html

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:26 AM
I hope someone didn't deliberately give her bad directions, telling her it was a shortcut.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:30 AM
"The homeowners said she acted nervous because she was lost," Mealy said. She was not injured but spoke of an accident, which investigators believe may have been a reference to falling down at the diner.

Mealy said that as she left the home, Smiley made another series of driving errors that eventually led her to a hard-to-find dirt path and driving onto the beach.

http://www.examiner.com/a-2528277~Woman__son_missing_after_van_found_on_Wash __beach.html

I don't get good vibes with that statement.

krista
03-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Video of them in a gas station. http://www.komonews.com/news/87713417.html

IMHO, she looks disoriented. Not to in ANY way disparage the child, but he appears old enough to go find help, make a call, swim, walk to the nearest house, etc. Seems like, if he were able, he could do something to help get them out of any situation they were in. I'm wondering, if she were severely injured from her fall....what would cause HIM to be unable to help out his mom, or go get help from someone else. Praying for this family!

JenniferO
03-16-2010, 12:36 AM
My hinky meter is going off when aimed at the fiance.. he was way to quick to post his "alibi" on the internets (MOO).
I don't think he is directly involved.. but I think he is involved. (again MOO)

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Video of them in a gas station. http://www.komonews.com/news/87713417.html

IMHO, she looks disoriented. Not to in ANY way disparage the child, but he appears old enough to go find help, make a call, swim, walk to the nearest house, etc. Seems like, if he were able, he could do something to help get them out of any situation they were in. I'm wondering, if she were severely injured from her fall....what would cause HIM to be unable to help out his mom, or go get help from someone else. Praying for this family!

I said that as well in an earlier post, that the boy would be able to get some type of help if he could.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
per step daughter on twitter ,,,still no news. thanking her friends.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 01:04 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=silverdale+WA&daddr=N+Harmon+St+to:2010+DIVISION+ST+NW,+OLYMPIA, +WA+to:2423+4th+Ave+E+Olympia,+WA+98506+to:4932+BO STON+HARBOR+RD,+OLYMPIA,+WA+to:5002++Ridge+view+Dr +,+Olympia,+WA+98501+to:8345+ZANGLE+RD+NE+olympia+ wa+to:castle+rock+wa&hl=en&geocode=FXv_1gIdKtOv-CnzVVhbAyWQVDH41Sg9Vyqmgw%3BFTA90QIdJECy-A%3BFaUhzgIdrUSs-Ck7myeAZXWRVDHooi-XyuaMFA%3BFarbzQIdMzOt-Cl7XB8o13SRVDGmiS52UZ4jCA%3BFRO7zgId2_Ws-CkzWz9MbKCRVDE9j1JZjEgjuQ%3BFZg2zQId-aat-CkxcwoxaHORVDEa3tH4rpIpvQ%3B%3BFScawgIdIpSs-Clf4lwpKAyUVDFpE6-ZSeuVGQ&gl=us&mra=ls&via=1&sll=47.151538,-122.878711&sspn=0.005341,0.013111&ie=UTF8&ll=47.054686,-122.831268&spn=0.337291,0.891953&t=h&z=11

just bringing this great map here, it really shows that she would be driving on pitch black roads , definitely would know you were not on an interstate (5)

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
According to this Shantina started working for him(bf) as a photographer in Nov./09

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silverdale-WA/Robb-Simmons-Photography-Mobile-DJ/175150949629?v=wall

LogicalMinds
03-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Wow at first when I came on the board tonight I saw the word "found" and I thought they were found then I re-read it and saw it was car found and then I realized that they had NOT been found....how sad

I saw the pictures and the videos....she seems to be a really nice responsible woman, and you can see how worried the family is....

from what I see I really think she had some sort of mini stroke or ? brain aneuryism or ? whatever you might call it..maybe concussion?

she does look OK in the pictures...smiling even....it is easy to say now that people should have called police but really how do you stop an adult and call police and what would you say?? The people at the diner did NOT see her fall, they only saw that on the camera

I wonder if she had a car accident earlier?? or maybe had ? whatever?? a stroke??

Maybe they are wandering around, lost?? I would hope their scouting would help.....I hope they have helicopters up there searching...maybe she has collapsed and her little boy is staying with her but how long can they survive?? How cold is it??

I also get a bad feeling when I look at that cold dark lake..that looks cold and scary....and big

I do wonder if one of them was drowning and the other tried to help or?? I don't know that part of the country (I live in Florida) and I don't know how cold it is there or how the water is ?? Hypothermia or ?? Just not good

PaulR
03-16-2010, 01:42 AM
from what I see I really think she had some sort of mini stroke or ? brain aneuryism or ? whatever you might call it..maybe concussion?

she does look OK in the pictures...smiling even....it is easy to say now that people should have called police but really how do you stop an adult and call police and what would you say?? The people at the diner did NOT see her fall, they only saw that on the camera

I wonder if she had a car accident earlier?? or maybe had ? whatever?? a stroke??

Maybe they are wandering around, lost?? I would hope their scouting would help.....I hope they have helicopters up there searching...maybe she has collapsed and her little boy is staying with her but how long can they survive?? How cold is it??

I also get a bad feeling when I look at that cold dark lake..that looks cold and scary....and big

I do wonder if one of them was drowning and the other tried to help or?? I don't know that part of the country (I live in Florida) and I don't know how cold it is there or how the water is ?? Hypothermia or ?? Just not good

I agree, it looks like she may have had some kind of head injury. She did not look right.

It has been relatively nice (i.e. not raining!) over the past few days - today was balmy by Puget Sound standards - but it's still pretty chilly at night. Not freezing but I would not want to be out in the elements.

That "lake" is part of Puget Sound, it is COLD (upper 40s) and you would not want to be in that water. They would not survive very long. :(

Looking at the Google map, you can see there are many houses nearby - nearly all of the beachfront in Puget Sound is populated - but there is also a large wooded area to the south. She may well be there. It looks large enough for someone to "get lost in."

PaulR
03-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Nothing about this makes sense, including the bf who was expecting to leave 2 hours after them, but ended up leaving 15 minutes later. Wouldn't he have caught up with them, or at least tried to?

And once finding them since I can't imagine that being too hard on I-5, wouldn't they have stayed within eyeshot of each other?

Having done this before - or tried to, I should say - it isn't very easy in general. 15 minutes is a long time to try to catch up with someone, even if you are going on the same roads.

I-5 is a very busy Interstate - it's basically the North-South corridor along the West Coast.

alsmom
03-16-2010, 04:02 AM
It looks as if her bf and her have been together for awhile. I looked at her MS photos and it looks like her child and his child (I'm assuming) are posed in front of the same Christmas tree and also making cookies with her. The pics were in a folder titled "Christmas 2008"

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 08:50 AM
They met online and she moved from castle rock to be closer to him. I will have to find the arrive for reference. Brb.

eyestowardHeaven
03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I wonder if there was something else that caused her to fall, and that is the underlying problem. Like low blood sugar, made her feel confused so she stopped to eat, then fell...possibly became embarrassed and left?, went to use phone, and got turned around again.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/87713417.html?skipthumb=Y

Silas smith- Smileys Step grand father seems very concerned.

BBM - I agree, I wondered the same thing...

SuziQ
03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Twitter update

nothing new. I can't sleep or eat. Dad and Travis are sleeping though. Talking to KISW tommorow and good morning america I believe about 7 hours ago (http://twitter.com/NickyOnStarship/status/10558873924)via web

ETA: she says her mom is not diabetic.

trigger
03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Saw this on the news last night. I wonder when she ordered the food at the diner she realized she didn't have her wallet with her so she went into her car and couldn't find it, embarrased, they left???

Hoping they are found today. Very puzzling. Where the heck are they?

Amster
03-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh! I was mistaken. I thought the lady in the diner saw her fall. It was seen on tape....

The gas station video....makes me sad. Fox News is going to have a report.

Amster
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Saw this on the news last night. I wonder when she ordered the food at the diner she realized she didn't have her wallet with her so she went into her car and couldn't find it, embarrased, they left???

Hoping they are found today. Very puzzling. Where the heck are they?

IIRC, she paid for the food then left before it was ready.

trigger
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
IIRC, she paid for the food then left before it was ready.

OK...Thanx...

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm not finding any new news this a.m....anybody local hearing anything?

raeann
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
OMG...Mark Fuhrman giving "expert" opinion on this on Fox news just now. He has pretty much NONE of his facts straight. Says that she called fiancee for directions and he didn't know the area. That she left her phone at home on purpose so that no one could track her, etc. GRRRRr.

jmoo

trigger
03-16-2010, 10:26 AM
OMG...Mark Fuhrman giving "expert" opinion on this on Fox news just now. He has pretty much NONE of his facts straight. Says that she called fiancee for directions and he didn't know the area. That she left her phone at home on purpose so that no one could track her, etc. GRRRRr.

jmoo

Darn I missed it. Well im surprised at MF. Im emailing Fox.

Amster
03-16-2010, 10:28 AM

jmoo

I was actually screaming at my TV!! :furious:

Stupid talking head woman stumbled and fumbled through the report, getting facts wrong, and MF was just as clueless!! :banghead:

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 10:44 AM
hey it was north Gull harbor not GULF....I thought I was losing my mind last night trying to map a place the doesnt exist.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/87628727.html

Spyglass
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree, it looks like she may have had some kind of head injury. She did not look right.

It has been relatively nice (i.e. not raining!) over the past few days - today was balmy by Puget Sound standards - but it's still pretty chilly at night. Not freezing but I would not want to be out in the elements.

That "lake" is part of Puget Sound, it is COLD (upper 40s) and you would not want to be in that water. They would not survive very long. :(

Looking at the Google map, you can see there are many houses nearby - nearly all of the beachfront in Puget Sound is populated - but there is also a large wooded area to the south. She may well be there. It looks large enough for someone to "get lost in."

I hope this didn't happen, but if her son fell asleep and didn't awake when they became stuck, she could have picked him up. In the dark in her dazed state, she could have then carried the sleeping boy the wrong way -toward deeper water instead of dry land.

coklat
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm not finding any new news this a.m....anybody local hearing anything?

Here's a good article from today -- nothing really new, but there's a very good timeline:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/03/15/1109901/van-found-but-woman-8-year-old.html

A timeline of Smiley’s movements Saturday is as follows:

• Investigators believe Smiley left Silverdale with her son around 5 p.m.

• About 6:45 p.m., she called her fiancé and asked him to bring her cell phone. But at that point, Simmons said, he was already en route to meet her in Castle Rock. Simmons had been at Cub Scout training that ended at 6:45 p.m., according to a Web site he has set up to help find Smiley and her son.

• Smiley stopped at the Handy Pantry on Division Street in west Olympia and made a purchase there around 7:50 p.m.

• Around 9 p.m. Smiley and her son went to the Martin Way Diner. Mealy said a witness said Smiley purchased a corn dog, but did not take it with her after paying for it.

• About 9:54 p.m., a store surveillance camera shows that Smiley stopped her car at the Gull Harbor Mercantile on Boston Harbor Road, but it was closed.

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
So is it too soon to start digging up dirt on the BF? I am not convinced that he did anything, she actually seems pretty happy on her FB and MS but it didn't look like she had been posting lately either. I was just searching county court records and there are a couple of interesting cases, but I am not sure if they are the right R.S., but one is a domestic violence from 1/06....NOT SAYING IT IS HIM. Just trying to get more ideas of what could have happened.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Here's a good article from today -- nothing really new, but there's a very good timeline:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/03/15/1109901/van-found-but-woman-8-year-old.html

• Investigators believe Smiley left Silverdale with her son around 5 p.m.
• About 6:45 p.m., she called her fiancé and asked him to bring her cell phone. But at that point, Simmons said, he was already en route to meet her in Castle Rock. Simmons had been at Cub Scout training that ended at 6:45 p.m., according to a Web site he has set up to help find Smiley and her son.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/03/15/1109901/van-found-but-woman-8-year-old.html#ixzz0iM3gjPrgShantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

My training wrapped up at 4:30, I figured that she was already on the road heading to Castle Rock, so I proceeds to Castle Rock as well

Someone has the time line wrong.

LogicalMinds
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
The facts seem to get distorted by talking heads and so called reporters

we really need a fact sheet ourselves

the lady from the diner said that Shantina paid her bill when she ordered....

the lady from the diner said they saw the tapes afterwards and saw her fall on the tape

~~~that makes a huge difference..and should stop ideas of "they should have called the cops">>> hindsight is great, but the fact is that Shantina did not appear drunk, or dangerous to herself or others....in real life, especially with today's laws, people in a restaurant or a convenience store are NOT going to call the cops on someone who pays for food and walks out before it is done

what would you say?? "Hi...there's this lady who paid for her corn dog and didn't wait for it to be cooked"???

911 would laugh at you...you might get charged with a false report...the person in question might sue you "I am a scout leader, had a phone call to go pick up some friends whose car broke down, how dare you call the cops on me"?

All this stuff about "we would have called the cops" ?? I don't think so

In fact , as a good ws I would not have let a stranger in to use my phone and I hope most of you would not have

I am sure those people are kicking themselves..but really what could they do??

(now....IF one saw a woman with a kid who was drunk/high or staggering, yeah, call the cops and even block her car to keep her from driving...but the corn dog? No..they had NO reason to call the cops and nothing would have been done even if they had)

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
INfo on how they met..

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/16/1173785/few-clues-in-search-for-mom-son.html

More ideas to throw out there...

The guy who found the van said that the hatch was open, and a side door. Maybe she was trying to turn around and got stuck so she crawled out the back so they wouldnt get wet.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011351418_apapwamomsonmissing1stldwritethru.html

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I also find it weird that Rob Simmons has this on his website...THey havent even been missing for 36 hours yet. AND that statement was up yesterday afternoon. She went missing saturday night.

"As many of you may have heard, my Fiancé’ Shantina “Kat” Smiley and her son Azriel James Carver are currently missing, in the Olympia Area.

The past 36 hours have been nerve racking, and full of fear pain and sorrow. I just want my Fiancé’ and Azriel back home . I want to marry her, and spend the rest of my days by her side.

The media has been putting out mixed stories."

I am keeping updates via my facebook page, search for Robb Simmons. I have posted a lot of pictures of Shantina & Azriel

Chili Fries
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Makes me wonder if she took an offer of assistance from the wrong type of person...or more probably persons.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
INfo on how they met..

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/16/1173785/few-clues-in-search-for-mom-son.html

The guy who found the van said that the hatch was open, and a side door. Maybe she was trying to turn around and got stuck so she crawled out the back so they wouldnt get wet.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011351418_apapwamomsonmissing1stldwritethru.html

He said she might have backed into the water while turning around and got the van stuck, but he doesn't know why she'd drive off a paved road to the beach.

Simmons said it appeared the van was backed into the water. The doors were open.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011351454_missing16m.html?syndication=rss

bbm

It says it was backed in.
Who would turn onto a dirt road, when you are unfamiliar with the area.?

KaylynnCouture
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Makes me wonder if she took an offer of assistance from the wrong type of person...or more probably persons.

That's what I'm wondering as well.

raeann
03-16-2010, 12:14 PM
INfo on how they met..

That's what I thought at first, but the actual people who picked up the van said that it was BACKED into the water, and that it was the back tires that had been spun when trying to get it out, apparently.

jmoo

LogicalMinds
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
But who would be out there on that road by that water?? not a likely place for a predator to wait ??

unless they were spotted and followed??

I personally think it much more likely that they somehow got disoriented in the water, one f them was drowning the other tried to save them and they were pulled under

how big and deep is that ?? lake??? how oold is the water?? shock, cold hypothermia.....they also had on heavy clothing

I don't know if there are currents or how one would be pulled out there though

trigger
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
On twitter...Dad is going to be on MSNBC.

RoseWhite
03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Has anyone heard anything about volunteers needed for search help?

LogicalMinds
03-16-2010, 12:18 PM
That's what I thought at first, but the actual people who picked up the van said that it was BACKED into the water, and that it was the back tires that had been spun when trying to get it out, apparently.

jmoo

If it was not that much submerged, I wonder if they just took off on foot and were using their "scout" skills to try to get back but went totally wrong way??

I hope they have choppers out there, and lots of dogs

I also wonder if one of them might have been out there trying to push the van out and somehow slipped and the other tried to save them or something?? we don't know how cold that water is or how deep

that lake sure looked cold and dark to me

RubyRed
Mealy said that as she left the home, Smiley made another series of driving errors that eventually led her to a hard-to-find dirt path and driving onto the beach. "It gets dark up there. It gets really, really dark," Mealy said. "I was there Sunday afternoon. I had trouble finding that trail in the daylight."

Being that it was down a dead-end road, and then going down a dirt road around a bluff to the water makes no sense," said Simmons, "she would not go down that road, it's a dead-end."

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-031410-missingmomandson,0,6651388.story

I am starting to wonder if it was her that drove it there. I am having doubts.

RoseWhite
And let me add, at least from video, it looks like they were both wearing red coats? That's good- easier to spot.

Couldn't sleep last night, thinking of them out there in the cold. :( I fear Az stayed with his mom no matter what. I hope they are found today.

Chili Fries
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
But who would be out there on that road by that water?? not a likely place for a predator to wait ??

I personally think it much more likely that they somehow got disoriented in the water, one f them was drowning the other tried to save them and they were pulled under

how big and deep is that ?? lake??? how oold is the water?? shock, cold hypothermia.....they also had on heavy clothing

I was thinking more along the lines of them walking back along the road looking for help. That may be precluded by a lack of footprints though. Or she could have stopped at another house asking to use the phone and met the wrong people. They could have been trying to ditch the van somehow, although evidence of trying to back out of the water could go against that theory. I also had the thought that if a perp were trying to ditch the van and make it look like Shantina and child had been stranded there he might take the purse but not realize there was a wallet also.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM

He is very knowledgeable of the area and this is what he feels the temp of the water would be. Not good.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM

It gets really, really dark," Mealy said. "I was there Sunday afternoon. I had trouble finding that trail in the daylight."

I don't think a predator was at the water, that is where they dumped the vehicle.( if she came upon one) According to Le ,it is not easy to find in daylight so it seems bizarre , she would find it at night.

coklat
03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

I'd just like to reiterate that the van was in Puget Sound, which is a very large inlet of the Pacific Ocean. Olympia is at the far southern end of the sound. The water is very cold this time of year (heck, it's cold even in August). IIRC, it tends to be shallower and have fewer currents in the Olympia area since it is essentially at the end, but I'm not a boater/hydrologist so I could very well be wrong. That said, there are still tides. One commenter on an article said that given what we know about the timeline, the van likely went in the water near low tide on Saturday night.

One possibility is that they set out walking along the beach after the van went in, but had their path cut off by the rising tide. :(

Also, while some areas of the waterfront are sandy/muddy, most of the beaches are rocky. It would be easy to twist your ankle there or cut yourself on some barnacles (I still have a big scar on my leg from a run-in with some barnacles when I swimming in Puget Sound). Probably not the kind of thing that would kill you, but it might be enough to make you say "ouch, I'm gonna rest here a while until I feel better"... tide comes in... you are unable to scurry up off the beach (lots of underbrush) so you try to slog through the very cold water... :(

swanniee11
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
How could so much go so wrong so fast? She had alot of contact with people too! IMO

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:40 PM
twitter per daughter,,her Dad is going to be on MSNBC.

RoseWhite
03-16-2010, 12:40 PM
I've been lost in the dark roads of Puget Sound. Heck, even housed streets without street lights can be disorienting and I have a compass in my car. It is very easy to get lost out here and it really does sound like she was having physical problems to boot. If a "bad guy" came in to play, that would just be worse-on-worse. And, I hope, very improbable.
It is cold and dank out here. I think that is their worse enemy.

WhoDidIt?
03-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Not a LAKE people...this is salt water! The puget sound, connected to the pacific ocean. Very cold.
This story is so strange to me. IMO she looks ok in the videos, not in any immediate danger.
IMO either 3 things happened here:
1. She doesn't WANT to be found
2. Foul play, maybe the fiance or a random stranger
3. Medical condition: stroke, seizure, etc. She was apparantly nervous to go see her stepfather...maybe she was so nervous/anxious that she took anxiety meds and she had a bad reaction????
After a little Facebook snooping, i think i read that her mom commited suicide 4 years ago...just sayin'. :(

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Not a LAKE people...this is salt water! The puget sound, connected to the pacific ocean. Very cold.
This story is so strange to me. IMO she looks ok in the videos, not in any immediate danger.
3. Medical condition: stroke, seizure, etc. She was apparantly nervous to go see her stepfather...maybe she was so nervous/anxious that she took anxiety meds and she had a bad reaction????
After a little Facebook snooping, i think i read that her mom commited suicide 4 years ago...just sayin'. :(

somebody somewhere knows something," Mealy said. "She could be missing voluntarily. Something untoward could have happened to her. She could have done something untoward to her son. We have no clue."

LE is going over different scenarios as well.

marcyjoy
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM
This link has her ex-husband speaking about her. Sorry if it was already posted: http://www.king5.com/news/Search-to-continue-for-missing-Silverdale-mother-young-son--87648637.html

trigger
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM

I agree with you. Maybe she got nervous not wanting to get married in September? Saw Rob Simmons on MSNBC. Nothing new. I wish I could find the interview and watch the whole interview, I missed alot of it. Maybe they will have it on later?
Im hoping she found a vacant house thats up for sale and shes there with her son. Nothing makes sense.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
This link has her ex-husband speaking about her. Sorry if it was already posted: http://www.king5.com/news/Search-to-continue-for-missing-Silverdale-mother-young-son--87648637.html

Thanks , I had not seen that. All the zig-zagging they show on the map is just so strange.

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Here is a picture of the tire tracks from the van, they look curved like she might have been trying to turn around.

http://theolympian.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge_remote.asp?source=&remoteimageid=1915720

coklat
03-16-2010, 01:16 PM
It's odd, Shantina seems to have kept making turns towards the water (on the westside, out by Boston Harbor) when she should know that you have to go away from the water to get to Castle Rock. I could see accidentally ending up at the Handy Pantry trying to get back on the freeway, since that's still a fairly populated area, but I don't know why she would have gotten that far down Boston Harbor Rd. without thinking, "wow, this is getting pretty rural and I don't see any signs for I-5, better turn around and go back to town and try again." So many of the places she was at were a pretty straight shot to the freeway, too -- just go down Martin Way, Pacific Ave., or State from the diner and you're right near I-5, and it's even pretty simple to get to the freeway from Boston Harbor. Just another thing that points to her being in an unusual mental state, whether from injury, medical condition, drugs (medicine or otherwise), or something else.

I don't think she would have stopped at the house to ask to use the phone/get directions if she were intending to run away.

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks , I had not seen that. All the zig-zagging they show on the map is just so strange.

Odd that the dogs haven't been able to give LE a clue about what happened to them..(.or did I miss what happened w/ the dogs following their scent?)

Calliope
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Or it fell out if her purse tipped over when the van got stuck. It may not have even been in her purse to start with; sometimes I'll take mine out just to make a quick run into a store or if going through a drive-thru, and don't always return it to my purse, but leave it on the seat or center console until I get home.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Odd that the dogs haven't been able to give LE a clue about what happened to them..(.or did I miss what happened w/ the dogs following their scent?)

twitter'( daughter)
,,, the dogs lost the trail, but we're trying so hard to keep hopes up. 15hrs ago

,,, my Dad is innocent . 5 min ago

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm not one to jump on the husband/bf, but RS's website is making my hinky meter go crazy. It does NOT seem like a "help find X" page, it reads like an alibi! Maybe I'm influenced by my background - which actually is in defense - but it reads like a list of answers to questions LE would ask.

Shantina called me twice around 4:15 to let me know she was heading out. I asked her grab my phone charger, since my phone was near dead.

Question: Why didn't you guys drive up together?
Answer: I was supposed to have Cub Scout training until 6:30.
Question: According to the Cub Scouts, the training was over by 4:30.
Answer: The training wrapped up early.

Okay, if the training wrapped up by 4:30 (according to his website), how did he not know it was almost over by 4:15 when Shantina called? Wouldn't he say, "I'm almost done, why don't you just wait and we'll drive together."

If at 4:15 he asks her to get his cellphone charger, wouldn't that trigger her memory to make sure she has her cell phone too? I don't think that conversation happened. Why the obsession with the cell phone charger?

I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone.

Again, shouts to me "I don't have a phone!"

We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock.

Again... "I didn't have a phone!"

WHY do we care whether and when YOU had a phone? Shouldn't this be about finding Shantina?

Website has... vague description, no description of tattoos, no description of clothes. How is that helpful to finding Shantina? It's not, but it gives a play by play alibi for her fiance for reasons unknown.

concerned4kids
03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I didn't want to say anything about the fiance either but my hinky meter went off yesterday when I saw his website. It did sound like he was coming up with his alibi. I hope I am wrong...

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm not saying the fiance had anything to do with this at all. This could be a nervous reaction. Based on their MS pages, it looked like they were happy and in love. But when I read the webpage, it jumped out at me as an alibi diary, complete with the details needed for LE to check and clear a defendant. Except it's way too early - no one is charged with a crime!

Again, it could be just a scared, nervous guy who doesn't know how to help find his wife, so he makes a webpage. But it just reminds me too much of when a client walks into a lawyers office with a PERFECT diary establishing a defense before they're even asked what the problem is - upon closer inspection, you always find something like... "November, 2007 - saw Avatar with John. Awesome movie" ... woops!

trigger
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM

I hope LE brings the dogs to the house she made that phone call in and follow her scent from there. Maybe they should look into who was living in that house. Maybe he followed her, and he pulled along side of her and said do you want to use my phone, I live a few blocks away. Why would she randomly pick out someones house to use a phone?

I just thought of something else, her car was found backed in? Then maybe the person did that on purpose. He knew the tide would be coming in soon. He backed in so when he left the car he wouldn't get as wet? Thinking also the car might float down the lake a bit. Just trying to figure out this whole thing.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I didn't want to say anything about the fiance either but my hinky meter went off yesterday when I saw his website. It did sound like he was coming up with his alibi. I hope I am wrong...

Part of me wonders if completely innocent husbands are just paranoid after so many high-profile crimes where the husband eventually is found guilty, that they do things like this just to try to completely exonerate themselves before the media even comes knocking!

Anyone with a tech background? Is there a way to see when/how the website is updated? I'd like to see if the times changed after the media reporting.

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm not one to jump on the husband/bf, but RS's website is making my hinky meter go crazy. It does NOT seem like a "help find X" page, it reads like an alibi! Maybe I'm influenced by my background - which actually is in defense - but it reads like a list of answers to questions LE would ask.

Question: Why didn't you guys drive up together?
Answer: I was supposed to have Cub Scout training until 6:30.
Question: According to the Cub Scouts, the training was over by 4:30.
Answer: The training wrapped up early.

Okay, if the training wrapped up by 4:30 (according to his website), how did he not know it was almost over by 4:15 when Shantina called? Wouldn't he say, "I'm almost done, why don't you just wait and we'll drive together."

If at 4:15 he asks her to get his cellphone charger, wouldn't that trigger her memory to make sure she has her cell phone too? I don't think that conversation happened. Why the obsession with the cell phone charger?

Again, shouts to me "I don't have a phone!"

Again... "I didn't have a phone!"

WHY do we care whether and when YOU had a phone? Shouldn't this be about finding Shantina?

Website has... vague description, no description of tattoos, no description of clothes. How is that helpful to finding Shantina? It's not, but it gives a play by play alibi for her fiance for reasons unknown.

Maybe he's just not thinking clearly because he's really upset...getting this website up so quickly is more than Josh Powell did for Susan....I think there's too many odd things about that nite to consider the fiance′ right now.

:twocents: FWIW ;)

ricquelle
03-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Why would she randomly pick out someones house to use a phone?

Because...
According to the guy whose house she stopped at, she picked that house because of the "Christian sticker on his car." This was stated in one of the videos where he was interviewed.

WhoDidIt?
03-16-2010, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE= Website has... vague description, no description of tattoos, no description of clothes. How is that helpful to finding Shantina? It's not, but it gives a play by play alibi for her fiance for reasons unknown.[/QUOTE]

I agree! Why not give as much info about her and her son as possible? he is only giving his whereabouts. And why isnt he updating his website with additional info?
I think it's time we do a little more digging on RS. Too bad it's such a common name, might be kinda difficult.

marcyjoy
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Good point, Texas Mist about Josh Powell. He's now back in our state (Washington) and there has been some news regarding this. Personally, I think he is just anxious that people will look to him and a bit paranoid - without necessarily being guilty.

What I found more odd was the interview with the exhusband who lives in Castlerock. My husband and I were watching the interview with him last night and noticed that his demeanor is almost smiling and there is one point where he gets choked up and acts as if he's crying but his deameanor doesn't really change - his head just bows and is partially covered by his hand. I'd like to know more about that story...

Someone posted earlier in the thread about a DV situation. I'm wondering who the male involved was.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
FWIW there is nothing about her missing on his professional facebook even though she is an employee.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silverdale-WA/Robb-Simmons-Photography-Mobile-DJ/175150949629?v=wall#!/pages/Silverdale-WA/Robb-Simmons-Photography-Mobile-DJ/175150949629?v=wall

raeann
03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Maybe he's just not thinking clearly because he's really upset...getting this website up so quickly is more than Josh Powell did for Susan....I think there's too many odd things about that nite to consider the fiance′ right now.

:twocents: FWIW ;)

It seems VERY unlikely that this man could be involved in any way. His whereabouts are accounted for throughout the entire time that late evening while mom and son were seen wandering around from diner to convenience stores to stranger's houses. The fiance' had already arrived at the relative's home and was with that person at the same time Shantina and Azriel were "lost" many miles behind their intended destination.

jmoo

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
I still think if he could , the boy would seek out help, if Mom was for what ever reason unable to.

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I agree! Why not give as much info about her and her son as possible? he is only giving his whereabouts. And why isnt he updating his website with additional info?
I think it's time we do a little more digging on RS. Too bad it's such a common name, might be kinda difficult.

One of the tweets I saw from daughter (about 6 hrs ago) said they were in a hotel now...doesn't sound like he has access...just a thought.

trigger
03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Because...
According to the guy whose house she stopped at, she picked that house because of the "Christian sticker on his car." This was stated in one of the videos where he was interviewed.

Im not buying that story...Sorry.

raeann
03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Because...

With that indication of the direction of her thought processes, it is time to search local churches, religious retreats or camps in the area, boy scout facilities, and any other home or car with any such type of sticker or cross, etc. that might be seen by someone driving in the dark or even on foot. She was seeking help and directions, and thinking of places that would be "safe", sometimes it is best to start by trying to think like the missing person and going in whatever direction that might lead.

jmoo

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
"Since the disappearance happened in Thurston County, the Kitsap County Sheriff's office is not taking an active role. However, deputies did make a welfare check to a residence at the request of the Thurston County Sheriff's office, said deputy Scott Wilson with the Kitsap County Sheriff's office."

http://www.seattlepi.com/sound/416825_sound87673977.html

Is Kitsap County where the grandparents live? I wonder if that is who the "welfare check" was on?

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Hmm interesting info in this article (bolded by me):

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d14-Olympia--Desperate-search-for-mother-and-8year-old-son-fiance-believes-could-be-sinister

March 14, 2010 - (VIDEO) A desperate search for 29-year old Shantina Smiley and her 8-year old son Azriel Carver is underway in Thurston County. They have been missing since Saturday evening.

Description of Shantina Smiley and her son, Azriel Carver:

Shantina Smiley - 29 yrs.
5'9" tall; 140 lbs.
Dark brown hair
Brown eyes

Azriel Carver - 8 yrs.
4'2" tall; about 100 lbs.
Blond hair, mohawk style
Brown eyes

During a phone interview with Examiner.com late Sunday evening Smiley's fiance, Robb Simmons, pleaded:

"Please, if you have Shantina, let her go. Please let her and Azriel go. Please leave them somewhere safe where we can find them. She is my fiance, I want to marry her and spend the rest of my days with her."

TIMELINE:

Saturday:

4:15 p.m. - Simmons stated that at around 4:15 pm. Saturday Smiley called Simmons from their home to let him know she was on her way from their Silverdale home to her visit her stepfather in Castle Rock.

Simmons planned to meet Smiley in Castle Rock later because he had a Boy Scout event to attend that afternoon.

As it turned out, Simmons got out early and was planning to head to Castle Rock on his motorcycle, as Smiley had borrowed his van.

Simmons said Smiley was excited to visit with her step-father who she had not seen in some time. She forgot her cell phone at home.

6:47 p.m. - Simmons said Smiley stopped at a Handy Pantry and called him from a pay phone.

Before 10 p.m. - Smiley stopped at Martin's Café to get food for her son, Azriel.

Around 10 p.m. - Shortly after leaving the café, around 10 p.m., Smiley stopped at a stranger's home to borrow a phone to call her grandparents in Brinnon to let her know she was okay. . She could not reach Simmons because his cell phone battery had died, and was in a poor cellular reception area.. She called her grandfather in Brinnon instead, telling him she was safe and on her way to Castle Rock.

The home where Smiley made that call was 4 or 5 miles, Simmons said, from where the van was found the next morning.

Around midnight - When Smiley did not arrive at her stepfathers home in Castle Rock and no one heard from her, Simmons said he and Smiley'sstepfather drove up and down the highway looking for her. They contacted police and put out a request to check on Smiley and her son.

Police, Simmons, and Smiley's stepfather had no luck finding Smiley and her son.

Sunday:

10:30 a.m. - On Sunday morning her van was spotted in the waters of Dana Passage, which is just north of Olympia. Both doors were open and her wallet was inside but her purse was gone.

The Oregonian Reported that Sunday morning local resident Jim Pribbenow was alerted by a neighbor to the gold 2005 Dodge Caravan on private beachfront property around 10:30 a.m.

“The back hatch and the side door was open,” Pribbenow said. “The front end had gone in the mud and you could see where the wheels had spun in trying to back out.” (the van was back end in the bay)
Simmons, told Q13Fox News that things aren't adding up and he is hoping nothing sinister could have happened to Smiley and her son. He says it doesn't add up that she would even be in the area of Dana Passage.

"Being that it was down a dead-end road, and then going down a dirt road around a bluff to the water makes no sense," said Simmons, "she would not go down that road, it's a dead-end."

Simmons says they don't have any friends in that area, and is hoping nothing sinister may have happened.

Simmons also said he is in contact with Smiley's ex-boyfriend, and her Son’s Father in New York City.

"I'm scared that something bad happened," said Simmons, " and I just want to say to whoever has them, send them home please, just drop them off somewhere, let them be found, let them come home, let them be safe."

Simmons described them as a "Scout" family, heavily involved with the cub scouts, and friends say she is responsible, and very loving, and has no history of drug use.

Detectives say anyone with information on Smiley and her son can call Thurston County Crime Stoppers at 360-493-2222, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office at 360-786-5500 or 9-1-1.

coklat
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
"Since the disappearance happened in Thurston County, the Kitsap County Sheriff's office is not taking an active role. However, deputies did make a welfare check to a residence at the request of the Thurston County Sheriff's office, said deputy Scott Wilson with the Kitsap County Sheriff's office."

Is Kitsap County where the grandparents live? I wonder if that is who the "welfare check" was on?

No, Kitsap is where Shantina and her fiance live. Cowlitz Co. is where they were headed (and where Shantina grew up). Brinnon, where the grandparents live, is in Jefferson Co.

Perhaps the welfare check was performed while the fiance was in Castle Rock, just to be sure that Shantina and Azriel weren't at home? It also sounds like the fiance is staying at a hotel in Olympia while the search is ongoing, so maybe the sheriff was checking up on the property/the fiance's children.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Also, just watched the surveillance video and noticed Azriel was sitting in the back seat of the car. At what age can kids start sitting in the front? (I know there are recommendations, not sure the age). Why would he be sitting in the back?

Although he might have wanted to sit in the back regardless if the minivan had a TV for the kids.

mtrooper
03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Is it odd to anyone else that he is in contact with both her ex-boyfriend and her ex-husband? I can understand the father of the boy...but the ex? And which was is, your battery was dead or you were in a bad cell reception? And despite what ANYONE says, if I go missing, I would imagine my husband being too busy with me being missing and all to put up a web site with his alibi on it.

paris_paris
03-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm not finding anything hinky about RS. It's clear he wasn't anywhere in the areas she was when she was making phone calls.

Do we have the address of the home where she used the phone. I think it's hinky that it was only 4-5 miles away from where her van was found.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
No, Kitsap is where Shantina and her fiance live. Cowlitz Co. is where they were headed (and where Shantina grew up). Brinnon, where the grandparents live, is in Jefferson Co.

Perhaps the welfare check was performed while the fiance was in Castle Rock, just to be sure that Shantina and Azriel weren't at home? It also sounds like the fiance is staying at a hotel in Olympia while the search is ongoing, so maybe the sheriff was checking up on the property/the fiance's children.

Thanks, just to clarify, so 3 counties are in play?

Kitsap = SS home.
Cowlitz = Stepfather home/grew up
Thurston = Olympia (where van found)

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Mealy said Smiley was given directions back on the freeway, and that it where the trail ends for investigators. The van was found less than 10 miles from the residence.

The van likely went into the water that night, Mealy said.

He said the area in which Smiley disappeared is rural but in a wealthy neighborhood with houses overlooking the water. He said the roads, including the one near where the van was found, are narrow and dark.

My gut feeling is she didn't drive the van down that road. She would have known immediately she wasn't on I-5. moo

swanniee11
03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Also, just watched the surveillance video and noticed Azriel was sitting in the back seat of the car. At what age can kids start sitting in the front? (I know there are recommendations, not sure the age). Why would he be sitting in the back?

Although he might have wanted to sit in the back regardless if the minivan had a TV for the kids.

In PA its age 12.

Regarding the back hatch left open. For some reason my thinking went to "not wanting to walk in the water/mud and climbed out the back. It looks really muddy there. Wondering if the car was sinking/moving foward without her help and they decided to get out fast. IMO. Just thinking out loud.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
RS is going to be on Fox News now, after the commercial break

Mendara
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I hope this didn't happen, but if her son fell asleep and didn't awake when they became stuck, she could have picked him up. In the dark in her dazed state, she could have then carried the sleeping boy the wrong way -toward deeper water instead of dry land.

That thought is chilling.

But I think the cold water would have awoken the boy. I have to say I am really really bad with directions and so I can understand her confusion, however she must have made more calls to the Fiance or her stepfather if she was lost. Why would she go through all the trouble to stop at a random home and call her grandparents??? - Why not call the fiance, see where he is and if he can meet them because they are lost, call the stepfather and do the same? Did she do this? Are there voicemails to his dead phone?

If she had money why not stop and get change for a payphone? Why leave the corndog, did she see something or someone that made them leave?

Were there any other items int he car, junk food that they bought?

Did she think she was arriving on a dirt road and would find another house to make a call and then found herself int he water - was she sleepy, sick?

Did she stop at another home that we don't know about? Was she taken and then someone else tried to submerge her car but changed their mind?

The odds of this being a crime of opportunity are low.

It has to be an accident or a planned crime. IMHO

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Is it odd to anyone else that he is in contact with both her ex-boyfriend and her ex-husband? I can understand the father of the boy...but the ex? And which was is, your battery was dead or you were in a bad cell reception? And despite what ANYONE says, if I go missing, I would imagine my husband being too busy with me being missing and all to put up a web site with his alibi on it.

I don't know how much I trust those Examiner.com articles....I had the link for the timeline from Examiner.com in the OP, but I didn't paste the info into the OP because I hadn't checked out/verified the details from other sources.

:twocents:

raeann
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
In PA its age 12.

Regarding the back hatch left open. For some reason my thinking went to "not wanting to walk in the water/mud and climbed out the back. It looks really muddy there. Wondering if the car was sinking/moving foward without her help and they decided to get out fast. IMO. Just thinking out loud.

The car was backed into the water, so getting out of the back hatch would have meant actually stepping out directly into the cold water vs getting out the front doors onto sand or rocks.

jmoo

paris_paris
03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
twitter'( daughter)
,,, the dogs lost the trail...

Where? For crying out loud.

Did they track them leading away from the water?

marcyjoy
03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
In Washington, kids have to be 13 to ride in the front seat.

Just a comment on the area, having previously lived in the Olympia area for 14 years...these areas of Boston Harbor and East Bay are very confusing to me. I admit, I am severely challenged in the direction arena, but every road looks the same and many houses are set back from the road in a pretty wooded area. While it isn't desolate, many homes are on acres and I find it confusing.

THis also leads me to agree with previous posters that I can't imagine this being a crime of opportunity.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
That thought is chilling.

But I think the cold water would have awoken the boy. I have to say I am really really bad with directions and so I can understand her confusion, however she must have made more calls to the Fiance or her stepfather if she was lost. Why would she go through all the trouble to stop at a random home and call her grandparents??? - Why not call the fiance, see where he is and if he can meet them because they are lost, call the stepfather and do the same? Did she do this? Are there voicemails to his dead phone?

RS's website said SS only recently got re-in touch with her stepfather, so she may not have known the phone number off the top of her head (since she didn't have her cell phone). If RSs phone really was dead, the grandparents might have been the only phone number she remembered.

WhoDidIt?
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Ok gotta another question...so the van was parked on the beach or got stuck in the mud on the beach right? Were there any footprints? If the ground was soft enough for the van to get stuck, there would surely be footprints! Were there one set of prints, or 2? :waitasec:

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Hmm.. the man that SS has an order of protection against (from 2005) currently lives in Castle Rock. I really hope that isn't related.

coklat
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Ok gotta another question...so the van was parked on the beach or got stuck in the mud on the beach right? Were there any footprints? If the ground was soft enough for the van to get stuck, there would surely be footprints! Were there one set of prints, or 2? :waitasec:

The footprints immediately around the vehicle were probably washed away when the tide came in. If Shantina & son kept walking along the shoreline, those footprints may have been washed away as well (or they may have been walking along the rocky kind of beach prevalent in Puget Sound -- there is not a lot of sandy beaches). It's possible that they may have walked some distance along the shore before going back onto solid ground -- their footprints might be preserved there, but unless tracking dogs picked up on their scent, it would be nearly impossible to find the prints if they went any distance from the car.

coklat
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Here's a website with (approximate) tide tables for Olympia on the night they went missing. Note that low tide was at 10:42 pm local time, probably around the time the vehicle went into the mud/water based on the timeline.

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/oly/2010-03-13

paris_paris
03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
If the dogs tracked the scent any distance away from the van, then that means they were in the van when it was beached.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Photos: Few clues in search for mom, son

http://media.theolympian.com/smedia/2010/03/16/08/s587-s1.thumb.prod_affiliate.38.jpg

A slide show of the beach, tire tracks, LE searching, diver in water

.http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/16/1174186/search-continues-for-missing-silverdale.html

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Photos: Few clues in search for mom, son

http://media.theolympian.com/smedia/2010/03/16/08/s587-s1.thumb.prod_affiliate.38.jpg

A slide show of the beach, tire tracks, LE searching, diver in water

.http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/16/1174186/search-continues-for-missing-silverdale.html

They need Tim Miller & TES!!

marcyjoy
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmm.. the man that SS has an order of protection against (from 2005) currently lives in Castle Rock. I really hope that isn't related.

Lawlady - SS's ex-husband (not AC's father) lives in Castlerock. Same person? I posted a link earlier today to the interview he gave last night...I'll look for it.

Link: http://www.king5.com/news/Search-to-continue-for-missing-Silverdale-mother-young-son--87648637.html

Mendara
03-16-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not finding anything hinky about RS. It's clear he wasn't anywhere in the areas she was when she was making phone calls.

Do we have the address of the home where she used the phone. I think it's hinky that it was only 4-5 miles away from where her van was found.

Me either but I find it strange that he is pleading with kidnappers and keeps saying he wants to marry her and she was his fiance. Why doesn't he think this was an accident and that she is in the water?

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 03:45 PM
twitter per daughter,,

,sorry to say that there is no organized search party that I know of. I do not know how to get one but I'm sure Thurston sheriff knows
2 minutes ago

Calliope
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Me either but I find it strange that he is pleading with kidnappers and keeps saying he wants to marry her and she was his fiance. Why doesn't he think this was an accident and that she is in the water?

Exactly. I can't help it, but when I read this I thought of Brandon Lockett pleading for *kidnappers* to feed and care for Aveion :furious:

Also:

Was the little dirt road marked as a dead end? What makes him think she knew it was a dead end?

Mendara
03-16-2010, 03:54 PM
My question is how far from the water is the nearest road or home? Would there have been lights int he distance? I would imagine her lights were on and she would have seen the water.

My guess is someone backed her car into the water and removed them from the hatch in the back. IHO

anyoldtime48
03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Anyone who lives in that area near Zangle Rd know if there is a know transient camp in the woods around there? Heard something yesterday afternoon while listening to online scanner for Thurston about one, although with several channels in both ears at once, that may have been totally unrelated, but I THINK I heard "Zangle" and "transient camp" and possibly "north" (of the 8300 block Zangle where LE seemed to be staged) as all part of the same brief call.

If, and that's a huge IF, there are transients living in that area, I would not completely rule out a crime of opportunity, given that Shantina was clearly very lost and may have stopped and asked the wrong person for directions after the 10pm stop at the home on 46th Ave NE, which is her last know location.

Fiance (not husband) IMHO has no involvement in their disappearance. His whereabouts incredibly easy to verify while she was on video and otherwise known to be lost in Olympia area. I believe he tossed that info up on his web site to keep the media temporarily happy while he has been OUT and busy with LE trying to find Shantina and Azriel. No indication he is sitting at home playing on his computer, but down in the Oly area where she was last seen. And getting this out to the media as much as possible.

FWIW, LE currently staged(?) at the Lutheran Church at the corner of Boston Harbor Rd and 46th Ave NE, a couple blocks west of the home she was last seen at when she called her grandfather abut 10pm Saturday evening. Hopefully that is just systematic search backtracking from the van in the inlet back to where she was last seen.

I'm not convinced she was the one who drove that van into the water. If anybody has ever had a vehicle broken into, thieves aren't in the habit of closing doors. Granted she doesn't seem to have been entirely in her right mind (concussion perhaps, or maybe just very flustered being lost in the dark, and for so long), but I can't see them failing to close the doors if they gave up trying to get the van out of the mud and decided to walk for help.

And if they walked away for help under their own power, WHY not find a door to go knock on and ask for help? She'd already done that once. Plus, her son old enough and capable enough to get help if he was able to.

Maybe they headed into those nearby woods to wait for daylight if she was afraid to knock on another door late at night, if one presumes that they were indeed the ones who abandoned the van in the water.

None of this makes much sense, but I've seen no indication that her fiance could have possibly been where they were at the same time.

Inadvertently running into foul play seems most likely to me at this juncture. Or very, very lost in those woods. Weather should have been survivable the last few nights, but weather report is for lows below freezing starting Wed night.

Praying for Shantina and Azriel, her fiance and his kids and everyone related to this case for a happy resolution, but this long missing is very frightening prospect indeed.

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Search goes on for mom who abandoned van on beach

March 16, 2010 12:06 PM

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Washington authorities say the case of the mom who abandoned her van on a Washington beach continues to baffle them.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's office said Tuesday that investigators don't know anything more than what they knew Sunday night.

They continue to talk to people who know Shantina Smiley or her son and those who may have met her as she drove through the backroads of Washington state on Saturday night.

Divers, boats and aircraft continue to search the water near where her van was found on Sunday. Investigators are taking another look at the van now that it has dried out. And the sheriff's office has sent someone to Kitsap County to continue the investigation near Smiley's home.

http://www.ktvl.com/articles/continue-1194315-washington-mom.html

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone who lives in that area near Zangle Rd know if there is a know transient camp in the woods around there? Heard something yesterday afternoon while listening to online scanner for Thurston about one, although with several channels in both ears at once, that may have been totally unrelated, but I THINK I heard "Zangle" and "transient camp" and possibly "north" (of the 8300 block Zangle where LE seemed to be staged) as all part of the same brief call.

If, and that's a huge IF, there are transients living in that area, I would not completely rule out a crime of opportunity, given that Shantina was clearly very lost and may have stopped and asked the wrong person for directions after the 10pm stop at the home on 46th Ave NE, which is her last know location.

Fiance (not husband) IMHO has no involvement in their disappearance. His whereabouts incredibly easy to verify while she was on video and otherwise known to be lost in Olympia area. I believe he tossed that info up on his web site to keep the media temporarily happy while he has been OUT and busy with LE trying to find Shantina and Azriel. No indication he is sitting at home playing on his computer, but down in the Oly area where she was last seen. And getting this out to the media as much as possible.

FWIW, LE currently staged(?) at the Lutheran Church at the corner of Boston Harbor Rd and 46th Ave NE, a couple blocks west of the home she was last seen at when she called her grandfather abut 10pm Saturday evening. Hopefully that is just systematic search backtracking from the van in the inlet back to where she was last seen.

I'm not convinced she was the one who drove that van into the water. If anybody has ever had a vehicle broken into, thieves aren't in the habit of closing doors. Granted she doesn't seem to have been entirely in her right mind (concussion perhaps, or maybe just very flustered being lost in the dark, and for so long), but I can't see them failing to close the doors if they gave up trying to get the van out of the mud and decided to walk for help.

And if they walked away for help under their own power, WHY not find a door to go knock on and ask for help? She'd already done that once. Plus, her son old enough and capable enough to get help if he was able to.

Maybe they headed into those nearby woods to wait for daylight if she was afraid to knock on another door late at night, if one presumes that they were indeed the ones who abandoned the van in the water.

None of this makes much sense, but I've seen no indication that her fiance could have possibly been where they were at the same time.

Inadvertently running into foul play seems most likely to me at this juncture. Or very, very lost in those woods. Weather should have been survivable the last few nights, but weather report is for lows below freezing starting Wed night.

Praying for Shantina and Azriel, her fiance and his kids and everyone related to this case for a happy resolution, but this long missing is very frightening prospect indeed.

:Welcome-12-june: , anyoldtime

Great first post --thank you for listening on the scanner!!

Amster
03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
uh-oh....fiance on Fox with Shep. Told Shep that Shantina is a recovering alcoholic and had relapsed last week....he started to say something about his health problems but drama queen Shep cut him off.....

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 04:06 PM

If you zoom in on this map it does look like a house, nearby.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
uh-oh....fiance on Fox with Shep. Told Shep that Shantina is a recovering alcoholic and had relapsed last week....he started to say something about his health problems but drama queen Shep cut him off.....

That is not good. Could account for her falling down, forgetting cell, drunk while driving so not knowing where the heck she is. That poor boy!

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM

yeah - uh-oh is right....initially he made it sound like she didn't have problems like that...guess we shoulda read thru the lines since we initially heard she didn't have a drug problem, huh. :waitasec:

This is not getting better. :(

eleven
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Hmmmm....this is not something my loved one would state on a nationally televised tv show. It doesn't really have any bearing on the search, so I wonder why he would divulge this sensitive information? Seems kind of careless.....

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks. They must have just been added, I just read the article a few minutes ago and didn't see them.

After several years, Shantina had made contact with her Step Father in Castle Rock. We had planned to go down and visit them.

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone. She asked me if I could grab her phone, because she had left. I let her know where I was at. She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

I arrived in Castle Rock around 7:40, and found her Step Father’s house. We started to get worried about 9:00pm, I began to check in with the WSP about accidents. Her step father and I drove around the area to see if we could spot her. I called her Grandparents house in Brinnon with her Step fathers phone. They had informed met hat she had stopped at a house in Olympia around 10:10, to use the phone, and ask for directions, and let them know she was ok. We went back to the Step Fathers home until 12:00 when we headed up I-5 to Olympia, we checked the two rest stops on the way back. We got a few hours sleeps, headed back up I-5 at day break, got a phone charger, recharged my phone, and went back up to Olympia and back to Castle Rock. During this time I was in vigilant contact with the authorities for any information.

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road. I immediately headed up there and say the van. As many of you know, I usually have a camera on hand, besides being waterlogged, the van did have some damage, but no broken windows. There was no sign of Shantina or Azriel.

I spent about 6 hours on the location talking to the detectives. I left there around 5:30, and had to make numerous stops to field phone calls from numerous sources, including the media. I stopped at my childrens mother house to sit with them around 8:00pm

Last night they brought blood hounds over, and took scent item.

I have no idea of why she would have ended up down that road. I know that our family want both her and Azriel back home safe and sound.

Please pray for their safe return. I already talked with Azriel’s Father in New York. That is a hard call to make.

Is it just me, or does he seem to focus a lot on phones?

Also a bit odd to me is detailing exact times... 6:45, 7:40, 10:10. His penchant for being so specific about time seems to end once the van is found.

She was in the Olympia area, but wasn’t quite sure of where, Azriel was hungry, so she pulled off. She made complaint of being in the traffic. She gave me the destination address and told me she would be there shortly.

This makes no sense. Again, for someone who was posting such detail this is very vague; he didn't know (or neglected to ask) where she'd pulled off to feed her son? And if she was so lost and didn't know where she was, why would she say tell him she would 'be there shortly'?

I stopped in Toldeo-Vader to make quick repair, when she called me at 6:45 from a phone.

Where is that, and is it 55 minutes away from Castle Rock? Where is Brinnon in relation to Castle Rock?

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Hmmmm....this is not something my loved one would state on a nationally televised tv show. It doesn't really have any bearing on the search, so I wonder why he would divulge this sensitive information? Seems kind of careless.....

Why indeed.

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Martin Way (where the diner is) is a major thoroughfare in Olympia/Lacey, though the area of the diner is less traveled than the parts closer to central Oly or Lacey. Still, it there would be a large number of cars passing this area on a Saturday night.

Gull Harbor is on the way to Boston Harbor, a small community. While this is a less traveled area, there are lots of houses in this area so there is some vehicle traffic here, especially on Boston Harbor Rd. I'm not sure exactly where the car was found, sounds like it might be near here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gull+harbor+dr,+olympia,+wa&sll=47.078844,-122.891646&sspn=0.124849,0.326157&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gull+Harbor+Dr+NE,+Olympia,+Thurston,+Washin gton+98506&ll=47.119205,-122.893925&spn=0.062377,0.163078&z=13

Sounds like what happened is this:
Shantina & Azriel set out for Castle Rock. Not sure what condition she is in or what may have happened along the way, but they arrive in the Olympia area (via I-5 south) later than they had intended. One or both are hungry, so they stop at the Martin Way diner (easy to get there from the Pacific Ave. exit on I-5) for food. They leave before getting the food for some unknown reason; Shantina is disoriented, according to staff. Shantina drives down State St. If she turned left at Plum St., it would take them directly to I-5 south; instead, she turns right at that intersection, which puts her on East Bay Dr., which turns into Boston Harbor Rd. Her car is found not far off of Boston Harbor Rd.

what i dont get is why she would have taken a right if she needed to get onto the freeway.....taken a right led her pass the eastbay on eastbay drive headed towards boston harbor....it would have been clear to her she wasnt headed to the free way......something is up......i havent read on yet....so sorry if this has been talked about.....

Amster
03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
That is not good. Could account for her falling down, forgetting cell, drunk while driving so not knowing where the heck she is. That poor boy!

Yes, poor little guy. Breaks my heart. He, no doubt, knows what it's like when she's drunk. Even made an excuse for her behavior at the diner..."mom hit her head"....:(

I wonder if any alcohol was found in the van?

coklat
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
yeah - uh-oh is right....initially he made it sound like she didn't have problems like that...guess we shoulda read thru the lines since we initially heard she didn't have a drug problem, huh. :waitasec:

This is not getting better. :(

This case has always reminded me somewhat of the woman who drove her minivan filled with kids the wrong way on the highway in NY -- the erratic behavior, the lateness, the calls to family that didn't quite have enough information to provide the necessary help -- but this was not a similarity that I wanted to hear. I think we all hope that whatever caused her disorientation was something minor and fleeting, that she and Azriel are huddled in the woods somewhere, but this is not a good development. :( Sadly, it would explain her odd behavior that night.

coklat
03-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Where is that, and is it 55 minutes away from Castle Rock? Where is Brinnon in relation to Castle Rock?

Toledo-Vader is a couple of small towns just off I-5, maybe 10 miles from Castle Rock. This is a pretty empty stretch of I-5, and Toledo/Vader is one of the few exits with services available in the area. There's a back road between Vader and Castle Rock that's more pleasant/scenic than I-5.

Brinnon is another place entirely; as the crow flies, it is not far from Silverlake, where Shantina & Robb live.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM

I think it also helps to know she relapsed. I am sure LE know. This could make it more likely they are lost and there isn't a perp involved. But this statement from LE takes on a new meaning
Somebody somewhere knows something," Mealy said. "She could be missing voluntarily. Something untoward could have happened to her. She could have done something untoward to her son. We have no clue."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000562-504083.html

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/03/16/Shantina_Smiley_1_370x278.jpg
Hope this little boy is found safe.

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Toledo-Vader is a couple of small towns just off I-5, maybe 10 miles from Castle Rock. This is a pretty empty stretch of I-5, and Toledo/Vader is one of the few exits with services available in the area. There's a back road between Vader and Castle Rock that's more pleasant/scenic than I-5.

Brinnon is another place entirely; as the crow flies, it is not far from Silverlake, where Shantina & Robb live.

10 miles? So why did it take him 55 minutes to reach Castle Rock? And why call someone in Brinnon?

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I think it also helps to know she relapsed. I am sure LE know. This could make it more likely they are lost and there isn't a perp involved. But this statement from LE takes on a new meaning
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000562-504083.html

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/03/16/Shantina_Smiley_1_370x278.jpg
Hope this little boy is found safe.
I hope both are.

You're assuming what RS said was true.

Mighty convenient that she 'relapsed' just a week ago.

JenniferO
<snipped>

The Toledo-Vader exit on I-5 is about 20 minutes from Castle Rock if you are doing the speed limit. I drive that stretch of I-5 often and NO ONE does the speed limit. 10 to 15 minutes tops, in my opinion is the average time it takes to drive that.

But he did say he stopped to make a repair so I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt on the time it took him to get to Castle Rock.

But it doesn't change my opinion that he had his hands in this mess.. even if it was from a distance.

TakeNote
this all doesnt sound right....:(

i havent read back....but was there any statement from the person she stopped at and made the phone call from?...like how was she acting?

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Not happy to hear the fiancee say on national television that SS is a recovering alcoholic who relapsed last week because of his health problems. Why would you say that on TV while she's still missing?? You want as many people as possible to be sympathetic and help look - it reminded me of when LE said amber dubois "may be a runaway."

Mendara
03-16-2010, 04:37 PM

Interesting - the character assisination begins. So she may have been drunk?

What did she buy at the Handy mart?

TakeNote
im down with a bad cold today.....but this hits very close to home...

was the phone call from someones house before or after the diner?

Calliope

i havent read back....but was there any statement from the person she stopped at and made the phone call from?...like how was she acting?

I've not read anything that he felt she'd been drinking. And in RS's detail about all the calls, he doesn't state she sound drunk or any concern that she'd been drinking.

I think he is talking too much. Which IMO is going to end up being a good thing for LE.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Lawlady - SS's ex-husband (not AC's father) lives in Castlerock. Same person? I posted a link earlier today to the interview he gave last night...I'll look for it.

Link: http://www.king5.com/news/Search-to-continue-for-missing-Silverdale-mother-young-son--87648637.html

No, the 2005 order of protection is against a 30 year old CBW. I haven't found any connection between him and SS except the order of protection - its for both SS and AC.

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:41 PM
The Toledo-Vader exit on I-5 is about 20 minutes from Castle Rock if you are doing the speed limit. I drive that stretch of I-5 often and NO ONE does the speed limit. 10 to 15 minutes tops, in my opinion is the average time it takes to drive that.

But he did say he stopped to make a repair so I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt on the time it took him to get to Castle Rock.

But it doesn't change my opinion that he had his hands in this mess.. even if it was from a distance.

That's pretty convenient too.

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I've not read anything that he felt she'd been drinking. And in RS's detail about all the calls, he doesn't state she sound drunk or any concern that she'd been drinking.

I think he is talking too much. Which IMO is going to end up being a good thing for LE.

sorry i meant the people at the house where she called from.....what did they say about her.....and her son....anything on the home owners yet?

maybe im confused....i thought i read she stopped at a house to use the phone...?

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 04:43 PM

h could he bring the cell phone she'd forgotten at home

But after buying food she left without taking it, then fell down in the parking lot.

The people who helped her place the call said she appeared disoriented.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/03/shantina_smiley_and_son_azriel.php

mysticrose
03-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't know if this article had been posted but it has a pretty good rundown of the timeline and when and where she was spotted on cameras:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

snipped...............................

Searchers looking for a missing Washington state woman and her 8-year-old son who haven't been seen since Saturday say that the road leading to the beach where her submerged minivan was recovered is heavily timbered and very difficult to find without knowing the area.

Olympia, Wash., police haven't ruled out foul play."I couldn't even find the access road, and it was light out," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office. "You really have to know where it is. It's the kind of road you don't want to take because it's so steep and narrow."

"It's very rare for someone who doesn't know the area to wind up where her van wound up," Mealy said

snip.....................................

"We don't have a suspect because we don't know if it's a crime," said Mealy. "Our options are open. We're not saying it's foul play and we're not saying it's not, and we're not saying she didn't voluntary leave."

"We can't explain what the hell she was doing out there, if she was even out there at all," the lieutenant said.

Divers searched the waters for a second day Tuesday, but found nothing.

Asked whether it's possible that they got lost in the nearby woods, Mealy said that there are too many houses with porch lights on for them to not have been able to get help.

snip...........................................

Her bizarre journey is documented by a series of surveillance cameras. Smiley and her son were spotted just before 8 p.m. at a small mom and pop shop, the Handy Pantry Food Store in Olympia where surveillence video captures them making a purchase.

At 9:08 p.m. Smiley and her son pull into the Martin Way Diner where they ordered a corn dog to go. Surveillence video from the diner caught Smiley leaving the restaurant after paying, tripping and falling in the parking lot, and then getting up and driving away with her son
They never returned for the corn dog.

Mealy said surveillence video also recorded Smiley and her son on the northwest side of Olympia peering into the windows of the Gull Harbor Market at 9:55 p.m., which was closed.

Smiley and her son keep driving, but away from the freeway. At 10 p.m. Smiley knocked on the door of a private residence where an elderly couple invited her and her son in and allowed Smiley to use the phone.

"The elderly couple gives the kid a piece of pizza, and Smiley calls her grandfather and says that these people are going to give her directions and that she got lost, but will be on her way," said Mealy.

Mealy also said that Smiley told her grandfather that she had been in an accident, but that authorities are not sure if she is talking about falling in the diner parking lot or another accident that has not yet been discovered.

The directions the couple gave Smiley to get back to the freeway are "not at all complicated," according to Mealy, who said the freeway is very well lit and would have been hard to miss.

Instead of taking the couple's directions, Mealy goes the opposite direction, again being recorded on the surveillence camera of the closed market.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shantina-smileys-disappearance-stumps-cops/story?id=10116896&page=2

Mendara
03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
When she entered that Handy Mart and we see the video of her she looks really happy and she is smiling. Not sure that she looks drunk, but almost like she is not scared at all. It is weird.

Hmm he was making a repair to his motorcycle very near to where she was.

TakeNote
it really bothers me she has her eight year old son with her......that van ended up in a very way...way...way...off the path to getting back onto the freeway.....and to say she said she needed to pull off to get the boy something to eat.....there would have been many, many other options closer to off the freeway then where she ended up at....plus the fact she ordered and then left with out the food.....

ms_writer

But the waitress at the diner (post #4) did indicate she thought SS was drunk. I personally don't think RS is involved, but IF he is . . . I guess it's possible that he took the waitress' statement and decided to run with the "drunk" angle.

That said, why go to the trouble of that when you could just as easily run with the "head injury" angle? :waitasec:

JenniferO
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
That's pretty convenient too.
I agree.

luckyducky
03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Here it states she has no substance abuse problems - *** Friends and family described Smiley as a responsible, mature woman. She has no history of substance abuse, Mealy said. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000562-504083.html

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
sorry i meant the people at the house where she called from.....what did they say about her.....and her son....anything on the home owners yet?

maybe im confused....i thought i read she stopped at a house to use the phone...?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't read anything that the homeowner said anything about her drinking. And I notice RS didn't either.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Mike Galanos going to cover this story on HLN ,,5 eastern

dnrslucky1
03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Why would he stop to make a repair, what kind of repair. I thought he was running late and wanted to be with her!

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I am NOT blaming SS, accidents do happen, but would any of you really leave on a 200+ mile trip at night alone (with just your 8 year old son) without making sure you 100% have your cell phone? Isn't that the exact situation that a cell phone is pretty much essential, G-d forbid you get lost?

A lot of this just doesn't add up to me. I have no idea what the real story is, but it just all seems so fishy. It's all TOO coincidental. Neither of them have available phones?

I don't (yet) think the fiancee was physically involved or anything, and I understand what some of you are saying about him getting all the information out via the website to the media early. But it still rubs me the wrong way that the website is all about him, and minute details the media probably wouldn't ask about for a few days at least - its all information that LE would ask. And it all fits in a little too nicely for me. It just gives me an icky feeling.

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 04:50 PM
where is the handy mart?

coklat
03-16-2010, 04:50 PM
When she entered that Handy Mart and we see the video of her she looks really happy and she is smiling. Not sure that she looks drunk, but almost like she is not scared at all. It is weird.

If he was making the repair in Toledo/Vader, that is a pretty good distance from Olympia... at least an hour's drive on the freeway.

He might also have taken SR 411 from Vader to Castle Rock. I've done it a few times, it's more pleasant than I-5 with all the semis and hills and people doing 85. That would be especially true if he was on a motorcycle, as someone upthread mentioned.

Calliope
03-16-2010, 04:53 PM
h

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/03/shantina_smiley_and_son_azriel.php

Smiley called her grandfather around 10 p.m. from a stranger's house to tell him she was lost, but OK. The people who helped her place the call said she appeared disoriented. Smiley told her grandfather she'd been in an accident, but investigators found only minor damage to the bumper when they recovered her van

That makes no sense. Did the man say anything about them arriving or leaving on foot?

At some point in one of the articles linked on this thread, the police said the fall in the parking lot wasn't serious (I think it says she tripped).

The elderly couple who lived nearby said they let Smiley use their phone to call her grandfather, gave her son a piece of pizza, and then directed her back to the freeway. She wasn't heard from again.

"The homeowners said she acted nervous because she was lost," Mealy said. She was not injured but spoke of an accident, which investigators believe may have been a reference to falling down at the diner.

Where do they say she was "disoriented"

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM

is there a link to the video?

Mendara
03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
So what we have is her car in area that is very difficult to access in the daylight and virtually impossible at night. We have surrounding woods with houses and porch lights easily seen at night offering help.

The directions she got from the folks at the house she stopped in were very simple and yet she still went in the opposite direction.

We have a she may have been drunk from her fiance - but I don't think she could have found that road intoxicated.

So what happened?

Did she make another call after the grandparent's - did someone offer to meet her?

Did she run into a perp after making another stop?

Texas Mist
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
NEW DETAILS: Fiance Reveals Missing Mother Is Recovering Alchohlic With Recent Relapse, Searchers Baffled As They Continue To Look For Missing Mom & Son

Q13 FOX News Online Web Reporter
4:38 PM PDT, March 15, 2010

NEAR OLYMPIA - New details reveal that missing mom, Shantina Smiley, may have had emotional issues during the time of her disappearence.

Her fiance, Ronn Simmons, appeared on FOX News Tuesday saying, "She's a recovering alcohoic and she had a recent relapse last week because I'm having medical issues right now."

However, Simmons claims that his fiance would not have been drinking when she disppeared Saturday night. He says, "She would not get in the car and do something like that. She would not put her son at risk because she loves her son too much."

Searchers continue to look for the missing mother and son. The woman was heading to her stepfather's house when she and her eight-year-old son took one wrong turn after another through the backroads of Thurston County and onto a private Puget Sound beach.

The van they were riding in showed up in the waters off Dana's Passage. It was found partially submerged Sunday with its doors open. A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the van, but neither she nor her son was anywhere in sight.

more here - including video & 911 call

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 04:57 PM
That makes no sense. Did the man say anything about them arriving or leaving on foot?

At some point in one of the articles linked on this thread, the police said the fall in the parking lot wasn't serious (I think it says she tripped).

Where do they say she was "disoriented"

Smiley called her grandfather around 10 p.m. from a stranger's house to tell him she was lost, but OK. The people who helped her place the call said she appeared disoriented.

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
So what we have is her car in area that is very difficult to access in the daylight and virtually impossible at night. We have surrounding woods with houses and porch lights easily seen at night offering help.

The directions she got from the folks at the house she stopped in were very simple and yet she still went in the opposite direction.

We have a she may have been drunk from her fiance - but I don't think she could have found that road intoxicated.

So what happened?

Did she make another call after the grandparent's - did someone offer to meet her?

Did she run into a perp after making another stop?

i still dont get how she ended up down eastbay drive into boston harbor....but lets say ...well....it doesnt make since....but....

what if someone got into her van while she was at the elderly home making the call ?...

Knox
Haven't read through all the posts since yesterday but looks like some more info has been released by the BF? This story just wasn't making any sense at all. Praying for a positive outcome, but I don't a good feeling about this.

lawlady84
If she really is a relapsed alcoholic, maybe she got off the highway to find a place that sold alcohol? It would explain going to different stores - and we only know the ones she used her credit cards/owners stepped forward. Even though the diner waitress said SS didn't order a drink, maybe she went in, ordered the food, and then realized they didn't serve drinks - so she left? Then tried the other markets?

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 05:01 PM
If she really is a relapsed alcoholic, maybe she got off the highway to find a place that sold alcohol? It would explain going to different stores - and we only know the ones she used her credit cards/owners stepped forward. Even though the diner waitress said SS didn't order a drink, maybe she went in, ordered the food, and then realized they didn't serve drinks - so she left? Then tried the other markets?

there are several gas stations that sale beer....right along that way before she got going on east bay drive......

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
O/T Ugh I am sick of these shows reporting on Tiger Woods. There are missing people who need the national news attention, NOT Tiger.

Calliope
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know if this article had been posted but it has a pretty good rundown of the timeline and when and where she was spotted on cameras:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

snipped...............................

Searchers looking for a missing Washington state woman and her 8-year-old son who haven't been seen since Saturday say that the road leading to the beach where her submerged minivan was recovered is heavily timbered and very difficult to find without knowing the area.

Olympia, Wash., police haven't ruled out foul play."I couldn't even find the access road, and it was light out," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office. "You really have to know where it is. It's the kind of road you don't want to take because it's so steep and narrow."

"It's very rare for someone who doesn't know the area to wind up where her van wound up," Mealy said

We went to get a bit to eat, when I received a phone call from the Thurston County Sheriff’s office. The had found the Van. In a follow up call, they informed me that they had to pull it out of the bay at the end of a dead end road. I immediately headed up there and sa[w] the van.

<snip>

TakeNote
03-16-2010, 05:03 PM
the boston harbor mini mart is the only gas station or mini store after she turned onto eastbay drive and headed east......

Calliope
03-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Here it states she has no substance abuse problems - *** Friends and family described Smiley as a responsible, mature woman. She has no history of substance abuse, Mealy said. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000562-504083.html

And that would include alcohol...

ms_writer
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
:banghead:[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]NEW DETAILS: Fiance Reveals Missing Mother Is Recovering Alchohlic With Recent Relapse, Searchers Baffled As They Continue To Look For Missing Mom & Son

[SIZE="2"]Q13 FOX News Online Web Reporter
4:38 PM PDT, March 15, 2010

NEAR OLYMPIA - New details reveal that missing mom, Shantina Smiley, may have had emotional issues during the time of her disappearence.

Her fiance, Ronn Simmons, appeared on FOX News Tuesday saying, "She's a recovering alcohoic and she had a recent relapse last week because I'm having medical issues right now."

However, Simmons claims that his fiance would not have been drinking when she disppeared Saturday night. He says, "She would not get in the car and do something like that. She would not put her son at risk because she loves her son too much."

Article snipped by me.

OK, I know I said I didn't suspect the fiance. However, WHY would he bring up the alcoholic issue in a forum where people are trying to find her IF he then turns around to say she would never drink and drive with her son?

If he wants LE/searchers to know that alcohol may have played a factor, then I understand him releasing the info. If he doesn't believe it played a factor, then why drag it out into the public domain that that?

I don't get it.

RubyRed
03-16-2010, 05:08 PM
O/T Ugh I am sick of these shows reporting on Tiger Woods. There are missing people who need the national news attention, NOT Tiger.

HLN says they are covering this case but it is TW right now.

Knox
03-16-2010, 05:09 PM
After watching these cases unfold time after time I think you become jaded. My hinky meter was going off yesterday. Hope the BS Leader is not involved, but I dunno, at this point I am not giving him a pass.

coklat
03-16-2010, 05:09 PM

Or maybe the stress of getting lost in Olympia with a hungry kid on the way to a reunion with a family member she hadn't spoken with in a long time was enough to make her want a drink?

I do think the waitress said they serve alcohol at the diner. I haven't been in since they changed the name a few years ago, I don't remember if they do.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
03-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Azriel needs to be on NCMEC!

trigger
03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
This case has always reminded me somewhat of the woman who drove her minivan filled with kids the wrong way on the highway in NY -- the erratic behavior, the lateness, the calls to family that didn't quite have enough information to provide the necessary help -- but this was not a similarity that I wanted to hear. I think we all hope that whatever caused her disorientation was something minor and fleeting, that she and Azriel are huddled in the woods somewhere, but this is not a good development. :( Sadly, it would explain her odd behavior that night.

Yes that was Diane Schuler. Had alot of alcohol and marijuana in her system. She killer 8 people in that crash. She also was acting very strange before the crash. I dont know what the outcome is in this case but now after hearing she relapsed a week ago makes me think could they have drowned?

Calliope
03-16-2010, 05:12 PM

I mean where are there any news reports of the couple saying she was disoriented? Not the blogger.

Amster
03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm afraid she was impaired enough to wander off into the water and her little boy tried to save her....

Texas Mist
:banghead:

Article snipped by me.

OK, I know I said I didn't suspect the fiance. However, WHY would he bring up the alcoholic issue in a forum where people are trying to find her IF he then turns around to say she would never drink and drive with her son?

If he wants LE/searchers to know that alcohol may have played a factor, then I understand him releasing the info. If he doesn't believe it played a factor, then why drag it out into the public domain that that?

I don't get it.

Dunno either....because originally it was reported by "friends" no drug use, and "Mealy said Shantina has no history of mental illness or any other known problem."

Maybe RS didn't wanna embarrass her initially or risk people wouldn't look for her. :confused:

It's not helping now that's for sure.

ricquelle
Elderly couple??? Not sure where that came from...the man from the house she stopped at was shown in one of the videos and I wouldn't classify him as elderly.

lawlady84
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Another hinky thing about the website -

He lists the times he received calls from SS, what time he went where - and as someone said its pretty exact (4:30, 6:45, etc). But it's not exact ENOUGH - how does he remember what time she called him? If its from looking at his phone, he'd have the exact time - like 6:49pm. If this is for the purpose of being helpful, wouldn't it be MORE helpful to give the exact times?

Also on Fox, assuming everything in his favor, I thought he was too calm for someone whose fiancee and soon-to-be stepson have been missing, when he believes she's a relapsed alcoholic who was driving, lost, and acting erratically/disoriented. If I was him and had a loved one in that situation, I'd be a wreck thinking she was injured in a ditch somewhere.

gibby207
03-16-2010, 05:16 PM
If she's had trouble with alcohol in the past, it's POSSIBLE that she was drinking to ease her nerves for her meeting in Castle Rock. It's possible that if she hasn't drank in a while she thought her tolerance was at the level prior to quitting and drank too much. It's possible she blacked out. :( I'm afraid they are both gone but I hope I am wrong. :(

Mendara
03-16-2010, 05:16 PM
:banghead:

Article snipped by me.

I don't get it.

This REALLY bothers me. So he is saying she was having emotional issues, she was drinkiing again, but WOULD not drink and drive because she loves her son so much. He has medical problems and this is what caused her to go back to drinking?

I am getting really concerned and reading between the lines. Was she leaving him because of these medical problems? I want to hear from friends and family now. I am done with this guy.

Sorry something is not right - no reason for him to bring up the alcohol unless he wants us to think she was drunka nd drove into the water herself. IMHO