Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our security can be nerve wracking! One of my kids always seems to wear shoes that beep and its funny to watch them approach him and then make him go back through while eyeing him suspiciously. He's 8. My mother used to get selected for the explosives test Every.Single.Time. She finally asked why and it was because she had a beaded hand bag, like one from Bali.

[bbm]

they didn't make him take his shoes off? you should come to Pearson in Toronto - your shoes, sweater, hat, jewellry, purse - everything comes off and goes through the xray separately

no shoes allowed! :scared:

And my husband can NEVER see this or we will go completely broke.
He can't be a pilot... and his second dream job is NTSB. He's an encyclopedia of airplane crashes.
He is an IT guy by profession though.
He had a dedicated computer specifically for a flight simulator game for several years. :seeya:

Here's an idea of how far people can go with their home based sims:

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/components/b777/

That's a company that specializes in home and semi professional flight sim equipment..

^^^^ HAHAHAHHAHA Yeh I'm not sure what they cost, but I know there is plenty of people on youtube who have complete professional quality sims from these guys in their homes...

This plane was taken...not hijacked...that would mean passengers...were taken by the two people
in the cockpit.

And they are going to take the plane again for some political mean. This has been methodically thought out.

Kind of scary.

This plane was taken...not hijacked...that would mean passengers...were taken by the two people
in the cockpit.

And they are going to take the plane again for some political mean. This has been methodically thought out.

Kind of scary.

If the pilots took the plane it would be unauthorized use of a vehicle.:drumroll:

I've seen reports write the final words as either "All right, good night" or "Alright, good night." Grammatically, both words are different. The first one means everything is good here, whereas the second one means okay (as in agreeing with someone/thing).

I'm probably just nit-picking here though because I'm a grammar Nazi :blushing:

me too, and the "your right" and "could of done" drives me bonkers :tantrum:

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim condemned on Tuesday speculation that the captain of a missing Malaysian airliner -- a member of Anwar's party -- may have been driven by political motives to sabotage the plane.

Describing Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah as a "decent man", Anwar said he was "disgusted" by what he saw as an attempt to smear the pilot and somehow implicate the opposition leadership in the March 8 disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/malaysias-anwar-disgusted-missing-plane-speculation-020017546.html

I am so glad he's speaking out

ETA: Someone I know who has been to Israel claims Israel maintains security just by asking questions to try and discern who you are, and avoids the "invasive" tactics of the U.S. in terms of physical screenings and limitations on what you can bring on board. I know Israel is good about security, but how does it differ from the U.S.? While I know there is a lot of value in sizing a person up, I find it hard to believe they'd be able to pinpoint every single sinister person by chatting.

RSBM

Israel begins the security process when you book your flight. It can be on any airline. Once your name drops in their database...security checks are in the works. When you arrive/depart Israel they already know who to stop.

Just had to throw in my :twocents:[/quote]

well, dang - why doesn't every country do that?

We use it here too. The "tin foil hat brigade" are conspiracy theorists.

well I am 'here" and have nevr heard it before. I worked in psych and never heard it there either. Maybe we are from different ends of the country

In terms of maintenance and pilot training, I agree those countries are probably very safe. I don't know if I trust their security as well. But I also don't think U.S. levels of security are always that needed - the fact is, passengers would react so differently post 9/11 that you would need a fairly advanced way of incapacitating them. Box cutters wouldn't be very effective, although could still obviously hurt someone.

For me, the problem is much more fear of mechanical failure. I know the U.S. does a really good job checking its planes and making sure procedures are complied with. Nothing is perfect, of course, but the airlines don't want the liability. When a plane hasn't departed from the U.S., I still get concerned that something may have been missed in the maintenance department. I would also want to know how careful they are about letting flights depart in dangerous weather conditions etc. It's a pain to have a flight canceled, but the financial motive of airlines makes me wary. Of course they want their planes to fly as often as possible with as few breaks and expenses as possible - that's only natural. But sometimes even minor deviations from procedure to get a plane on the ground can be catastrophic, like those cases where the screws didn't get put back in or where there was tape left on the pressure sensor....

ETA: Someone I know who has been to Israel claims Israel maintains security just by asking questions to try and discern who you are, and avoids the "invasive" tactics of the U.S. in terms of physical screenings and limitations on what you can bring on board. I know Israel is good about security, but how does it differ from the U.S.? While I know there is a lot of value in sizing a person up, I find it hard to believe they'd be able to pinpoint every single sinister person by chatting.
I'm positive that's not all they do in the way of security. When I flew there in 1978, the plane landed on the tarmac, rather than the gate. Now they are asking planes to identify themselves earlier than they used to have to do.

[bbm]

they didn't make him take his shoes off? you should come to Pearson in Toronto - your shoes, sweater, hat, jewellry, purse - everything comes off and goes through the xray separately

no shoes allowed! :scared:

Oh yes, each time it happens he and his shoes go through separately. They once made me take off my shoes AND hand over my newborn because I beeped.

well I am 'here" and have nevr heard it before. I worked in psych and never heard it there either. Maybe we are from different ends of the country

Really? We've been posted all over so I don't think it's regional. It's used quite a lot of a lot of Australian parenting forums.

Yes, like one of the 911 hijackers who was on some list for having been at the Kuala Lumpur meeting just , IIRC, months before he was able to enter the US even though CIA knew he had been at the terrorist meeting in KL. :facepalm:

IIRC it was more than one of them.
That does not happen in Israel. They are just as cautious with who enters the country as who exits. They also have marshals (at least two) on every single flight. The security has come a long way since the last incident (1976).
I was just going to mention that I was pretty sure that El Al had air marshalls on it's flights!

My father was an air traffic controller, back in the days where there was nothing but binoculars. No radar for landing.
When I was a little girl in Prague, I thought he had the greatest job.
He is now in Prague again for a holiday.
I wish he was here to shed some light on this.

If the pilots took the plane it would be unauthorized use of a vehicle.:drumroll:
Yeah, if they're alive, I'd think it'd be safe to say their careers with Malaysian Airlines are effectively over. In fact, would any airline hire them? I think they are now criminals if it is proven they stole the plane.:jail::jail::jail:

Well everyone can rest easy, Courtney Love is now on the case.

I don't think we're allowed to post links to Facebook on here, but if you go to her page, she has posted a satellite photo that she scribbled on some arrows on, pointing out what she thinks is submerged wreckage and an oil slick.

I had a good laugh at the mental picture of her hunched over Tomnod squinting away at the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member