Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to some of the sheds and out-buildings... I found these comments online as related to underground shelters... I find it interesting.

"look for an emergency exit hatch or air vent, sometimes they were combined. If the local government sealed the place then they could have placed rocks or concrete slab on top of such an exit, or it could only be openable from the inside. I read that in some US missile silos they consisted of a metal pipe with a ladder, with the top half full of sand. You open a hatch halfway up the pipe (below the sand) then pull a lever releasing the sand to fall into the lower half. After that you can re-enter the pipe and climb up to the surface. I'm not trying to discourage you, just be aware that the hatch might not be too obvious."

I found it interesting that one forensic officer seemed to squat down and actually touch the dark are in the soil and then both officer got up and one joined the other officer(observing "thing" between the sheds)... While the other officer walks out into the field alone...

What did they see? And did the one officer who walked into the field alone see something that made him walk into the un-mowed grass, or did he need a break to "catch himself" after what they had just found?!?

23vj1id.jpg

2eej7yf.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1434528/m...-presence-at-rural-property-north-of-calgary/

I lightened it up and added a red arrow on the guy I think you mean in the top picture. I'm pretty sure I remember this coming up here on one of the first threads because it looked like a wrapped up body - but I don't know what it actually was.

Would LE be on that or should you send a message to LE?

I'm sure that someone will be looking at places like that. I'm just thinking that Garland might be thinking about putting Alvin (with whom he seemed to have a problem) in a place related to gas wells and water, as that was the basis for the patent. From what little we know about Garland, one impression I get is that he is devious, and that he is amused by how he is able to trick people ... almost an "in your face" devious.

Allen Liknes continues searching for parents, Nathan O'Brien

http://globalnews.ca/video/1458419/allen-liknes-continues-searching-for-parents-nathan-obrien-3

This is not an official transcript.
It is a rough draft and not connected with any of the participants.
Any errors are my own.

Reporter, Nancy Hicks = NH Allen Liknes = AL

NH: He's a man with a broken heart, with miles and miles of prairie back roads to cover. Allen Liknes has lost his father, stepmother, and nephew in one horrific and mysterious triple homicide.

AL: Recovering the bodies is very important for the family to, to end this stage of the crime.

NH: He's rented a bike, and was given a satellite map of the countryside.

AL: So I've got to go and actually travel east to 74, and I'll be doing a grid pattern as the roads come up.

NH: And he's determined to find where his loved ones are.

AL: I'm looking for disturbed earth. I'm looking for rock piles that look like they've been moved in the last little while.

NH: The search isn't easy.

AL: It's like looking for a needle in a haystack out there. I am trying to take a slow tour, and if I do see any two tracks off, I will follow it.

NH: Liknes is working his way east of the Garland acreage, where the man accused of the triple homicide, Douglas Garland, lived with his parents.

AL: We've been in contact with the R.C.M.P. around the Garlands' farm, and so they provide us with the culvert map which was really handy.

NH: He looks for places he thinks Garland could have driven with his truck matching the one in this photo.

AL: A truck that is not in good repair and that can go only so many places. Like, it's not a four-wheel drive.

NH: With nearly three weeks past since Nathan, Kathryn and Alvin disappeared, Allen is desperate to find closure for himself and the rest of his family.

AL: We've got to lend support to Dad, Kathy and Nathan as well. We've got to bring them out of wherever they are.

NH: This is Nancy Hicks, Global News.

I'm still puzzled by the wording of the Amber Alert. Why would it be worded that NO might be with AL?

In this article by Globe and Mail they say PG was in a common-law relationship with AL's son. That is the first time I have read that the relationship was a past-tense.

"One of the many vehicles to park near the house, police would later reveal, belonged to Mr. Garland, whose sister, Patti, was in a common-law relationship with Alvin and Kathryn Liknes’s son Allen."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...le-with-grim-puzzle/article19682368/?page=all

I'm still puzzled by the wording of the Amber Alert. Why would it be worded that NO might be with AL?

Someone on this forum had pointed out earlier that it could be because if he was with DG he is too a middle-aged man and could pass as the grandfather.

In this article by Globe and Mail they say PG was in a common-law relationship with AL's son. That is the first time I have read that the relationship was a past-tense.

"One of the many vehicles to park near the house, police would later reveal, belonged to Mr. Garland, whose sister, Patti, was in a common-law relationship with Alvin and Kathryn Liknes’s son Allen."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...le-with-grim-puzzle/article19682368/?page=all
This is just incorrect tense used in the article, ALjr is still in a relationship with PG.

Another thing that has bothered me is that I recall hearing very early on about a possibility that a dog was in the house and the dog may have been killed inside the home. Does anyone recall this? I cant find anything.

That really stood out to me in the beginning too Catools. I remember thinking AL possibally fought with KL and ended up taking Nathan...in light if what we now know, clearly not :(... I think it is important because when you look back on almost all other Amber Alerts, the little snippets of info tend to be very important.

I remember when that little boy Keinan Hebert was kidnapped, the police said right away that he may be with Randall Hopely ... And he was...

Something made the police believe NO and AL were together but not KL.

This just doesn't look like a working farm to me. The buildings are all overgrown. Usually there is some kind of road to the machine shed and I just don't see anything like this. The only 'road' on the place is the from the road. I really don't think that's any kind of crop the searchers are walking through as it looks like the same 'grass' right up to all buildings and even in the little fenced area ( I think by the old green truck).

If you look at Google Earth images, you can check the date and see that the crops are baled, so it's a working farm.
Wheat grows everywhere, so it looks the same next to the buildings, next to the roads, and in the fields.

IIRC, that is conjunction with physical evidence which in this case, they possess. My understanding is the ME ruled them deceased and a ME does this based on only physical findings.

To add to this, IIRC, LE originally stated it would take a while to process evidence but were expediting the process. IMO, this would mean they were processing DNA, and if they had DNA of all three confirmed, it would make sense that they feel confident in their theory that all three were indeed deceased. JMO.

A lot of farmers burn purple gas in their vehicles. (for farm vehicles and machinery) and they have their own tank on site.

I wondered if one of the tanks that looks like a propane tank is purple gas. In fact, if police want to lay one more charge, they probably would find purple gas in his truck.

That really stood out to me in the beginning too Catools. I remember thinking AL possibally fought with KL and ended up taking Nathan...in light if what we now know, clearly not :(... I think it is important because when you look back on almost all other Amber Alerts, the little snippets of info tend to be very important.

I remember when that little boy Keinan Hebert was kidnapped, the police said right away that he may be with Randall Hopely ... And he was...

Something made the police believe NO and AL were together but not KL.

I agree the wording is really important. On the one hand LE was saying this is a missing persons case, we are hopeful we will find all 3. Then why not word the Amber Alert to reflect that he might be seen with either grandparent, though I accept that perhaps GD could have passed for his grandfather (gives me the creeps thinking about it). I guess I have always just chalked it up to poor wording that never got corrected. Remember also, the Alert was briefly ended and then reinstated. I think LE said it was just a mistake. I figure they were thinking at that point that no one survived and a problem in communication within LE resulting in the Alert being ended prematurely.

I don't think it would be unheard of for a prominent lawyer such as Kim Ross to have secret sources within LE, perhaps not officers, but file clerks or typists, or other folks who may not be paid particularly well paid and might exchange info for money with him. Nevertheless, I think you are correct that the lawyer was trying to be clear, knowing that his client was a POI in a very high profile case.

Not a chance that gov't employees are taking money under the table to slip something to a lawyer, and not a chance that a lawyer would risk disbarment for a client.

Another thing that has bothered me is that I recall hearing very early on about a possibility that a dog was in the house and the dog may have been killed inside the home. Does anyone recall this? I cant find anything.

There was no dog. There was a photo of a dog in one of the kijiji ads and that dog belongs to KL's childhood friend.

I agree the wording is really important. On the one hand LE was saying this is a missing persons case, we are hopeful we will find all 3. Then why not word the Amber Alert to reflect that he might be seen with either grandparent, though I accept that perhaps GD could have passed for his grandfather (gives me the creeps thinking about it). I guess I have always just chalked it up to poor wording that never got corrected. Remember also, the Alert was briefly ended and then reinstated. I think LE said it was just a mistake. I figure they were thinking at that point that no one survived and a problem in communication within LE resulting in the Alert being ended prematurely.

ITA. I suspect the amber alert was merely a formality due to unsubstantiated evidence at the scene. I feel strongly that LE felt it was a homicide at the onset.

Not a chance that gov't employees are taking money under the table to slip something to a lawyer, and not a chance that a lawyer would risk disbarment for a client.

I stand corrected.

I had a family member who was murdered a few years back and until there were charges none of the life insurance or RRSPs were released to the beneficiary. Here (Alberta) when someones death is deemed a homicide or suspicious....everything is put on hold until solved or all beneficiaries are cleared as suspects or beneficiaries take it to court. Also the death benefit is not paid out immediately. The family is going to have huge expenses :( just my experience

Sorry this was in reply to an earlier post on the thread but I failed when I thought the reply button replied to that specific post...newb.

The business is closed, the house is sold, the house contents were liquidated during a three day estate sale, and, in terms of expenses, there are no funeral expenses at this time because there are no bodies. The final bills (phone, gas, etc.) have to be paid for the month of July. The family wants to put the house contents in storage, but that isn't a necessary expense given that the owners are deceased. What expenses might there be that I'm not able to anticipate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean