Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that still look like a wood chipper? I have no idea, but it does look like there's a large blue hose on the other side. Was the hose left lying around, or is it a part of the orange machine? I see a regular burning barrel - the rusty oil drum in the middle of the photo. There's a taller, rustier drum behind it. Does that have any farm application? What about the yellow ring on the ground? Is that part of evidence collection, or is that some plastic yellow shape in the yard?

Original still from video:

http://globalnews.ca/video/1434629/raw-video-police-search-rural-property-north-of-calgary/

I still think it's a feed chopper. The blue tarp probably covered it and the tarp was held in place by the cement blocks. But ... who uncovered the feed chopper? Did LE uncover it, leaving it exposed to the elements, or was it used recently and carelessly left uncovered? Normally, a chopper would not be left exposed to rust.

The auger and feed chopper is la logical set of farm machinery to have together if the storage bins held feed for animals. If the sheds held chemicals, then I can't comment on the use of the machines related to mixing chemicals.

I still think it's a feed chopper. The blue tarp probably covered it and the tarp was held in place by the cement blocks. But ... who uncovered the feed chopper? Did LE uncover it, leaving it exposed to the elements, or was it used recently and carelessly left uncovered? Normally, a chopper would not be left exposed to rust.

The auger and feed chopper is la logical set of farm machinery to have together if the storage bins held feed for animals. If the sheds held chemicals, then I can't comment on the use of the machines related to mixing chemicals.

I doubt that it was carelessly left uncovered. The silo is probably filled with seed. Silage would be baled.

The chemical shed next to the tap might hold fertilizer. It looks like a working farm with a tap and a pump, perhaps a water well?

The more I look at the little sheds photo, the more it looks like a small "chop" making setup. Chop is a feed supplement for farm animals during the winter. It's made by chopping and mixing hay, grain, or corn and and mineral supplements.

It's possible that the building contained bags of chop, and the white bucket between the buildings is just a tipped over feed container with the lid off. The huge tap thing looks like it might be a piece of a grain hopper. Actually, this might make sense of the yellow ring too. It could be a part of a plastic grain hopper which would be used with the auger. They come in yellow, are round, and about the right size.

I doubt that it was carelessly left uncovered. The silo is probably filled with seed. Silage would be baled.

The chemical shed next to the tap might hold fertilizer. It looks like a working farm with a tap and a pump, perhaps a water well?

The tap and pump could be a pulley and motor to hook up to the feed chopper or to the auger.

As I said earlier a farmer friend of mine said he could see the gas powered water pump and hose near the sheds and the sheds are for fertilizer and I'm guessing the vented shed is for pesticides.

As I said earlier a farmer friend of mine said he could see the gas powered water pump and hose near the sheds and the sheds are for fertilizer and I'm guessing the vented shed is for pesticides.

Well, you could be right. It's been a while since I was on the farm. It would be a bit unusual to routinely store fertilizer since most fertilizer is custom mixed and ordered according to the field it will be used on, and it wouldn't explain the machinery lying around. But, there might be a fertilizer spreader somewhere else on the property. A farmer would easily recognise fertilizer containers.

I think that the main point in both theories is that the stuff is probably just ordinary farm stuff.

Would farmers have taken grain off at the end of June? I think it's not very likely, too early in the season. Also, straw is often baled in small bales for easy handling, whereas hay goes into large bales. I suspect it's hay. But I could be wrong.

Farmers here in Southern Ontario are just now gearing up to harvest wheat. Not sure how comparable the season and timing is in Alberta. Due to the wet spring here, everything is delayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have an acreage or farm. You'd be surprised what you can get at UFA ... bulk poison, all sorts of bulk chemicals, even explosives!

It's true that farmers can buy all sorts of chemicals, and in stronger concentrations than sold for household customers but it's doubtful they'd carry HF, or if they do, it would be a lesser concentrated form. In any event, it's not listed in their catalogue.

LOl yes I do know TV shows are often removed from reality but this is a man who at one time manufactured meth so he would have to have been familiar with the safety procedures.

As a chemist (although, again, he didn't have a B.Sc.) he would have been even MORE careful about HF than any old 'street chemist' who only knows enough to cook up some meth or speed, making it unlikely that he'd have any. Not impossible, of course, but it's not that easy to come by nor is it cheap. He'd have to have an account with a lab supplier and would still have to produce the government-issued corporate identification they require for the sale of such a restricted item - which brings me back to the question of whether he even registered his company P2 properly, given its very similar name to another, larger company.

By the way, your goggles referenced in your earlier post would be insufficient protection when using HF in one of the higher concentrations. In reality, you'd also need a face shield but using that while filming would cause glare and unwanted reflections from the camera and studio lights.

Please note there are 2 vented sheds. We can see another in the video but not in the stills. I think you are right. Fertiliser and water. The other chemical she'd appears to be on a mobile platform.

image.jpg is this liquid fertiliser on a mobile rig?
Here is one offered for sale and used on grains but primarily rape seed image.jpg

Thank you Sandfan, this is the one I was thinking of. Here is a snippit of the report: BBM

"Right now, all he’s in for is the identity theft and the credit-card charges and that’s all we’re dealing with right now,” said Ross, who had no comment on where his client would reside or any other details.

The wording has me thinking.....
Thanks for finding that Sandfan.

I assumed by that point everyone knew he was suspect #1 in the disappearance and that the lawyer was simply saying that he hadn't yet been charged with anything relating to that but only with the ID theft at that time.

I'd like to know what he bought using the credit card.

I remember when we first viewed that video *seems like yesterday but it was 2 weeks ago!*....The hazmat type suits caught my eye....*white* ...usually dealing with chemicals &/or *don't even want to type it* remains or fluids/tissues....

The more I watched this tho....the more I realized that they didn't tape off the area...they didn't seem too excited....they walked away after this in the video...

As to what is probably grown there....being only 40 acres....I'm guessing it's not a for profit farm...let's face it...unless you are growing money trees you won't make much on 40 acres....hobby farm...maybe....

I'm guessing they go haying every couple months....and probably sell the hay or trade with neighbours......it's basically a crop you can just 'let grow' ....notice the horses watching next door.....could be a few neighbours who could use the hay....

As for these matchy matchy buildings.......the one with the whirly turbine on top......I'm guessing pumphouse....sometimes sits on cement....all that will be in there is the pump being housed....a few mechanicals...whatever needed for the pump for the water system....As for the 2 matching smaller sheds...it looks like bags in there......and when we lived on the farm....we had extremely hard water......we used a water softener....takes a lot of softener too ...those bags are probably bags of softener salt......yes....salt......usually stored with the pump/water system ....if they are as I figure....then in that shed along with the pump could be the softener....Just google water softener commercial *bigger is better on the farm!*...and you'll get some idea what they look like..... :) JMOO

That would certainly explain why P2 imported sodium!

I wondered if one of the tanks that looks like a propane tank is purple gas. In fact, if police want to lay one more charge, they probably would find purple gas in his truck.

Vehicles have to be refitted to burn propane, don't they?

Why would they have cause for another charge? Is gas used on farms only legally supposed to be used on farm vehicles that don't travel public roads?

I've been wondering this too, with all due respect.

Obviously there would be the expense of a funeral or memorial, but the house was already sold, so would there be any need for an estate executor? If they declared bankruptcy, then is there any need for legal costs to be incurred by the family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they'll have to sell the house A & K bought in Edmonton so there might be some costs associated with that.

Also perhaps something in Mexico, although I'm still not clear on whether they had bought their own property down there or were going to spend the time at A's brother's place.

That really stood out to me in the beginning too Catools. I remember thinking AL possibally fought with KL and ended up taking Nathan...in light if what we now know, clearly not :(... I think it is important because when you look back on almost all other Amber Alerts, the little snippets of info tend to be very important.

I remember when that little boy Keinan Hebert was kidnapped, the police said right away that he may be with Randall Hopely ... And he was...

Something made the police believe NO and AL were together but not KL.

What's also interesting is that the AA stated that AL had a 'distinctive walk'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea