VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree that the sheriff is allowed to be emotionally involved when an 18 year old girl is preyed upon and he's the one that has to talk to her parents, and he's the one responsible for finding her. It's a shame that these things happen and there are so many evil people in the world. He was the last person seen with Hannah and maybe if he wasn't responsible for her disappearance he could give them a hint as to where she was headed.

I'm not uncomfortable with him being emotionally-involved at all. I think it's good for police to be invested in helping the people they are trying to help. I just think that he's a professional and it makes me uncomfortable when professionals shout in public and behave as if they are angry, even if they have reason to be angry. Again- just a personal preference.

If I remember correctly, JM told police he bought her drinks and they went there separate ways. Did JM tell police that Hannah was never in his car? If he did, and forensics place her in his car, that's no less than an obstruction charge for JM. Just thinking out loud.
JM's Grandmother told that UK paper that JM's Mother talked with him and he said he did not take her in the car.

OMG! He got away from LE and took off. I am so upset at this info.

Hubby thinks not. He thinks they still know where he is. But I think that if they do, and they have an arrest warrant (2 actually) for reckless driving why wouldn't they go get him and bring him in? Or if they really don't know, why not put out a BOLO and release his picture to the public? He's wanted, he fled, isn't that enough justifiable cause to release his mug shot to the public???

I want to pull my daughter out of UVA. She will not want to leave, and she will hate me, but I don't want her in this city. Dad and I control the purse, it might be time we take the decision out of her hands.

This is sort of a repeat post but here goes: The arrest warrant is an Ace in LE's pocket that they will use when the time is right. JM is obviously not in the mood to speak with LE so why hunt him down like a dog for a traffic warrant, just to have him clam up and ask for his lawyer. How long do you think they can hold him on a traffic warrant? Not long! They can't waterboard the guy to get info from him. They'll use the arrest warrant when they feel the time is right. And if you think LE does not know where he is, you'd be mistaken, in my opinion. All this is just my opinion.......

Hubby thinks not. He thinks they still know where he is. But I think that if they do, and they have an arrest warrant (2 actually) for reckless driving why wouldn't they go get him and bring him in? Or if they really don't know, why not put out a BOLO and release his picture to the public? He's wanted, he fled, isn't that enough justifiable cause to release his mug shot to the public???

I want to pull my daughter out of UVA. She will not want to leave, and she will hate me, but I don't want her in this city. Dad and I control the purse, it might be time we take the decision out of her hands.

:hugs: I think they know where he is. I can understand the terror your feeling, with two in college also. Give the school a call. Most schools have a parent support network set up to help parents with the fears and emotions of their children going away to college.

I'm sure they know where he is. They are just hoping that he leads them to Hannah's remains. Many perps revisit the dump site. Sorry to be so blunt, but I feel like this is LE's strategy at this point.

Coy Barefoot @coybarefoot · 54m
#BREAKING #HannahGraham Chief Longo confirmed Jesse Mathew came to police station yesterday, Saturday, requested and met with (cont'd)
ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 0 times FavoriteFavorited 0 times
More

Coy Barefoot @coybarefoot · 54m
#HannahGraham an attorney but did not speak to investigators. After leaving the police station, Jesse drove recklessly, eluding the (cont'd)

Coy Barefoot @coybarefoot · 52m
#HannahGraham police who were monitoring his movements- VA St Police have issued 2 Class 1 misdemeanor arrest warrants for reckless driving

About going to the police station and talking to a lawyer and then leaving in a huff, is it possible JM was just angry because the lawyer told him he couldn't help him? I mean they're not going to give him a public defender unless he talks to the police correct?

JM and the laywer talked for an hour. LE do not know if lawyer was retained.

if the lawyer was retained, surely there would've been some interaction with LE on behalf of his client (JM)?

Yes. I believe JM went to the police station to talk to a lawyer to get the 24/7 surveillance stopped.When the lawyer told him it was legal.......JM took matters into his own hands and ditched the surveillance.

About going to the police station and talking to a lawyer and then leaving in a huff, is it possible JM was just angry because the lawyer told him he couldn't help him? I mean they're not going to give him a public defender unless he talks to the police correct?

I know this case is absolutely nothing like Lacie Peterson...but I will say that LE knew Scott Peterson was their man, but they knew they needed a body to give the case legs. I guess people here would criticize LE for focusing on Scott, but they knew. How did they know...circumstantial and behavioral. There was absolutely no physical evidence...no blood, no struggle. Thoughts???

LE may not have sufficient evidence to charge him with this. Once LE makes such an arrest and files such charges, certain events follow, and if they do not have their ducks in a row, they would have to let the person go. The DA often makes the decision as to whether or not there is enough merit to charge someone.

First of all, there is no evidence that Hannah Graham is hurt or dead. She could have gone off with someone and be somewhere else. Then, there is not sufficent evidence linking this suspect with her.

I think she has/had an iphone, and some tracking may be possible from that. I am hoping that some developments come up soon. Though, yes, have to say it's possible she is alive and off somewhere, I don't have a good feeling about that. I think something nefarious did happen to her, and it seems to me that LE are pretty sure that JM is involved. They just don't have enough evidence to do anything more about this.

I think your hubby is right.

I can think of one reason why they aren't arresting him .......

They've obviously panicked him. Longo's tirade today, repeating his name over and over is going to put more pressure on him.

Since they obviously believe he is guilty of harming Hannah, I think they are leaving him *out there* hoping he panics again and goes to where he dumped her or where there may be other evidence that can prove his guilt.

The smartest thing he can do for himself at this point is retain that attorney and turn himself in on the reckless driving warrants.

Nobody wants to throw LE under the bus. We are simply saying to them: Get some evidence Hannah left in the car with Matthew before you ask us to believe he is the guy! That's not too much to ask is it? And what's this crap about Longo suggesting that they're going to ask the state crime lab to expedite evidence results? Is this case not TOP PRIORITY as it is? REALLY?

It is only top priority for the lab if the local jurisdiction specifically calls them and tells them to expedite evidence.

If that is not done then the lab puts it behind all the other cases they have.

Frankly, I think LE does have evidence this is the guy. He isn't going to release what that evidence is to the public though and that is understandable.

I just get the impression Longo has political aspirations or something, but first he is "gonna clean up this town".

What happened to innocent until proven guilty, especially since JM has not been charged?

IMO, this PC was done purely to appeal to the emotions of any potential witnesses and the POI's family. Chief's attitude seemed to be purely directed at the POI with a sort of "You can run but you can't hide" message. I appreciate the poster that corrected me on the lawyer thing. I thought JM came in WITH a lawyer. I did not realize you could just ask for a lawyer at the police dept. It makes perfect sense to me that after asking for a lawyer, he didn't say anything. That's what a lawyer would tell him to do. Sounds like JM went in to lawyer up and get LE off his back. The crazy driving thing wasn't smart. By doing that, he basically gave LE a reason to arrest him. Whole thing is sort of crazy to me.........
If JLM is working with others, as in getting young girls/women and handing them off to interstate-traffickers, he may need to act as if if will not "snitch". Driving erratically and eluding LE, he may have hoped they would arrest him. Giving an impression that he will not give up or give information re: others involved.

JM and the laywer talked for an hour. LE do not know if lawyer was retained.

if the lawyer was retained, surely there would've been some interaction with LE on behalf of his client (JM)?

Chief Longo said they knew nothing more about his interaction with Hannah than when he came in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kch52285