JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to explore this idea about women being the root of JLM losing something major in his life. ( angst ) I think in his mind that having to let go of that dream of playing football started at Liberty University with the sexual assault accusation followed by the loss of the full scholarship and no longer able to attend LU. That all happened in 2002 when his Mother lived off of Old Lynchburg Road on Ponderosa Trail and the same year that his Mother and his Father divorced. We have no idea how she handled the news about LJ but I would venture to say that she was at the very least disappointed. Think about JLM psychologically and if he blamed his Mother at all for the divorce then you have the perfect storm of events that triggerd an intrinsic motive for these hanneous acts.( 48% of studied serial offenders report having suffered some form of rejection as children - this is an approximate percentage, I'm still looking for the research)

Looking at JLM Sr.'s court charges (public intoxication & loud swearing), I'm going to suggest he was/is an angry drunk. I'm also going to suggest that Jr. was witness to significant abusive behavior toward females while growing up. If true, Dad may have moved out at the point that Jr. could step up and defend the women in the home. On the one hand, he may have loathed these behaviors but they also made an indelible imprint on him as "normal" interactions with females...

I am sorry - I should have been more clear. I meant to say that his dyslexia -especially if undiagnosed- would be a reason people thought he was "dim". I'm thinking specifically of a college friend of his who talked about helping him read every day before classes.
She could have easily thought he was not smart enough to be able to read, rather then that he had dyslexia (making him someone with a learning disability, and not "dim" at all).

I have a friend with severe dyslexia, who is an accomplished RN. But he's told a few stories from his youth where teachers and even his parents thought he was not able to learn/not intelligent, until his dyslexia was diagnosed.
If JM was in bad schools, overcrowded classrooms, and not being parented mindfully, his dyslexia could very easily have gone undiagnosed, leaving him without the proper help needed.

His learning issues seemed to have been identified at any early age based on an anecdotal post I'd read from a former fellow student who was in an LD class with him in elementary school. I think that part of his issues were in the realm of social skills as I continue to read about problematic social interactions he had, especially with females. I truly believe that while drinking, his usual social inhibitions dissolved, and he would tend to decompensate. It was reported that on the night of Hannah's disappearance, He was groping and touching two women who were so put out by him that they left that particular bar to get away from him, only to be pursued. That same night, he did a wrestling takedown on a guy he'd just been introduced to after learning that the other guy had also been a wrestler. The second guy was limping for a week afterward...

His learning issues seemed to have been identified at any early age based on an anecdotal post I'd read from a former fellow student who was in an LD class with him in elementary school. I think that part of his issues were in the realm of social skills as I continue to read about problematic social interactions he had, especially with females. I truly believe that while drinking, his usual social inhibitions dissolved, and he would tend to decompensate. It was reported that on the night of Hannah's disappearance, He was groping and touching two women who were so put out by him that they left that particular bar to get away from him, only to be pursued. That same night, he did a wrestling takedown on a guy he'd just been introduced to after learning that the other guy had also been a wrestler. The second guy was limping for a week afterward...

<BBM for Focus>

From my memory of the incident of JM groping and touching the two women at the bar, his primary focus was on their feet. Don't know what this tells us but it seems that many sexual predators past had foot fetishes.

search--> foot fetish sexual predators
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=foot fetish sexual predators

Looking at JLM Sr.'s court charges (public intoxication & loud swearing), I'm going to suggest he was/is an angry drunk. I'm also going to suggest that Jr. was witness to significant abusive behavior toward females while growing up. If true, Dad may have moved out at the point that Jr. could step up and defend the women in the home. On the one hand, he may have loathed these behaviors but they also made an indelible imprint on him as "normal" interactions with females...

I don't agree that loud drunks are necessarily angry drunks. Many are just obnoxious but wouldn't hurt a fly. JMO I don't think Sr's charges are indicative of abuse in the home. Don't get me wrong, excessive drinking can cause many problems within a marriage.

I don't agree that loud drunks are necessarily angry drunks. Many are just obnoxious but wouldn't hurt a fly. JMO I don't think Sr's charges are indicative of abuse in the home. Don't get me wrong, excessive drinking can cause many problems within a marriage.

I'm merely making a hunch as to where/how LJ, the gentle giant, may have gotten his wires severely crossed. Here is a firsthand account of LJ's behavior that night from eyewitnesses and those who he confronted http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/. Maybe I don't have much tolerance for obnoxious drunks, but it seems way over the line to me as it must have to others. Here are some of the "high points" of his interactions that night:

The Hours Before LJ Met Hannah
“He kept trying to put his hands on my legs, above and below the knee,” the young woman says. “He’d been way too aggressive all night, putting his arm around me, picking me up, putting his hands on my legs. I looked at him and told him to keep his hands off of me.” They were in Tempo Restaurant on Fifth Street in downtown Charlottesville. It was shortly after midnight, in the early morning hours of Saturday, September 13.

The woman is a 25-year old resident of Charlottesville. The man is 32-year old Jesse “LJ” Matthew, who was arrested September 25 in Galveston, Texas on a charge of Abduction With Intent to Defile in the case involving the still-unexplained disappearance of second-year University of Virginia student Hannah Graham.

What I have learned is this: throughout the night, LJ Matthew demonstrated a troubling lack of respect for the physical boundaries of women and men— or perhaps even a deeper lack of understanding that those boundaries exist.
Unprovoked, he suddenly grabbed a man in the Blue Light Grill and wrenched him into a wrestling hold so forcefully that he pulled the man’s hamstring, leaving this man limping for days. In the first few seconds of meeting two women for the first time, he yanked them up off the ground and threw them over his shoulders and laughed, making them uncomfortable and embarrassed. He continued to follow both these women, at the Blue Light and later at the Tempo restaurant, putting his arm around them, his face uncomfortably close to theirs, touching their backs, their hair, their faces, their legs— until one of them cursed at him to stop. After one of the women slipped off the boots she was wearing, LJ unexpectedly pulled off her socks, saying he wanted to see her toes. A friend of LJ’s for over nine years described him as a “prowler,” clarifying his use of the word by adding, “which is not to say he was looking for a victim, but looking for a girl who’s already compromised a little bit, maybe improve his chances.”

Dave Johnson, a 33-year-old Charlottesville resident, has known and socialized with LJ Matthew for over nine years. He remembers going out that Friday night, September 12, and running into LJ at the Blue Light on the Downtown Mall.
“I went out with a big group of people that night,” Johnson says. “A couple of friends from out of town, friends from here, and some people I work with. There were about eight or 10 of us hanging out that night. We went to Fridays After Five, got some pizza, stopped by Sky Bar, and eventually ended up at the Blue Light around 11:30.
“LJ came into Blue Light by himself, I guess it was around 11:45. I recognized him coming in through the door.” LJ Matthew would be hard to miss at 6’2” tall, 270 pounds, with long dreadlocks. “I introduced him to my friends who were visiting, one of whom was a wrestler,” Johnson continues. “I knew LJ had wrestled in high school, so he would like that. Well, right away LJ shot in on the guy with a wrestling move, took him to the ground there in Blue Light. He pulled his head down to his leg into a standing cradle. My friend heard a pop and felt his hamstring go. So he was hobbling around all night, and for the rest of the weekend. It was an odd thing to do. It was an aggressive thing to do. It wasn’t really provoked. LJ just kind of did it.”

Johnson also introduces LJ to two female friends, one of whom is an attractive, 25-year old African-American woman who has recently moved to Charlottesville.
“He immediately picked us both up and held us over his shoulders,” recalls Molly, who agreed to speak with me on the condition that I use a pseudonym. “I didn’t like that at all and told him to put me down. It was very strange. He put us down, and we sort of tried to move away from where he was. But he kept coming around, putting his arm around us and stuff like that.”

“He was being aggressive,” Johnson admits. “But it’s nothing I don’t expect from LJ.”
Molly says she quickly grew tired of the uncomfortable advances from LJ. “I just didn’t like how he was grabbing my friend and I.” Hoping to leave him behind, Molly and her group of friends left Blue Light for Tempo. “But he followed us,” she says, despite the fact that no one in their group had invited him to come along. “But after we got to Tempo, he walked in the door right behind us.”

“There’s a range of his temperament,” Johnson replies when I ask about LJ’s behavior that night. “He was a little more aggressive that night than usual. But he’s been aggressive before. Sometimes he doesn’t know when to stop. He’s a pretty tough guy. Wrestling-wise, you’re not going to beat him. But it’s not something that you would ever extrapolate out and say that he’d have the propensity to rape or murder somebody.”
Molly recalls that she and a girlfriend sat at a table near the bar. “My friend had on cowboy boots, and they hurt her feet so she took her boots off. [LJ Matthew] walked over to her, took her socks off, and said “Let me look at your toes.” Molly says they didn’t know how to react to him, as he continued to be inappropriate.
“Then he came over to me and tried to touch my legs,” Molly says. “I told him no. He said, ‘I just want to see your feet, like her.’ I told him no. Don’t touch me, do not touch me. One time he reached above my knee, and the next time below my knee. I finally told him, don’t ****ing touch me.”

Still concerned by LJ’s unwelcome behavior, and in a second attempt that night to leave him behind, Molly says she gathered up her friends, including Johnson, and they all left LJ there at Tempo to walk down the Mall to the Escafé restaurant on nearby Water Street. She remembers seeing LJ outside as they left, standing around a group of people near the front door. I ask if at some point he followed them. Did he show up at Escafé?
No, she says.

12:45am: Fifth Street, in front of Tempo
“I remember him dancing around out front,” Abby says. “He was being obnoxious, bumping into people. He seemed really out of place.” Abby, a 23-year old employee of Tempo who, like Molly, agreed to speak with me only if I used a pseudonym, was at the front door that night checking IDs beginning around 10pm. She remembers quite well interacting with LJ Matthew that night at Tempo.
“He came in alone,” she says. “He wasn’t really hanging out with any one group of people. He was dancing some. He was really sweaty. He kept coming out front to bum cigarettes from people who were smoking.”
“I was talking to this woman and her husband,” she continues. “I was talking with her about her hair, it was really short and pretty. I remember them because they had British accents. At one point, I remember [LJ Matthew] was dancing around outside, and he bumped into this British lady pretty hard, just as a way of getting her attention. He was kind of grabby with her, and asked her for a cigarette. Her husband was standing right there. He was like, ‘listen, you can’t treat people like that. You can’t just bump into someone. You need to ask politely if you want something.’ Someone finally gave him a cigarette, and I think he might have sat on the curb and had a few puffs before he got up and walked away. He was alone.”
Putting his arm around a woman like that, that was not usually a sign that he knew her. That was a sign that he didn’t. If Hannah knew him, she wouldn’t let him put his arm around her.”

Coy Barefoot is a best-selling and award-winning author and investigative journalist. He is the host and producer of Inside Charlottesville, a radio and TV program. He also teaches history at the University of Virginia. You can learn more at coybarefoot.com.

My feeling is he probably was a date raper in high school, or at least very aggressive with women sexually. Granted him getting kicked out of college may have made him angry and more aggressive but I think his problems with women sexually probably started with puberty and only got worse over time.

There was an interview with a high school classmate (female, I think) who said JLM had "saved" a girl from a large fight that had broken out by throwing her over his shoulder and carrying her to safety. Fast forward to the Fairfax rape and how he behaved with the women he met the night Hannah disappeared, and I have to wonder if it was chivalry after all.

I don't think there is enough evidence about his interactions with females prior to college to develop a pattern until 2002. If you listen to the neighbor that was interviewed from Ponderosa Trail, she said that her children were depressed about this news. She also stated that JLM was awarded the most outstanding athlete award in High School for football and wrestling. I do think that he had learning disabilities but I think that just made being successful at football more important psychologically. I think we can get stuck on childhood being the place where it all starts. There might have been some kind of trauma that we don't know about with JLM's past but I think there is enough about him that we do know to define him as an organized African American serial killer.

There was an interview with a high school classmate (female, I think) who said JLM had "saved" a girl from a large fight that had broken out by throwing her over his shoulder and carrying her to safety. Fast forward to the Fairfax rape and how he behaved with the women he met the night Hannah disappeared, and I have to wonder if it was chivalry after all.

I read a quote from a local guy who has known him that an LJ "move" was to put his arm around an unknown female's waist to kind of reel her in. I wonder if throwing a girl over his should was another of his "moves" that could be used for good or evil. I believe that he is neither pure evil nor pure good. I learned while working in a maximum security prison, side by side on a daily basis with numerous convicted murderers that even the worst among us has done good in his/her life...

I don't think there is enough evidence about his interactions with females prior to college to develop a pattern until 2002. If you listen to the neighbor that was interviewed from Ponderosa Trail, she said that her children were depressed about this news. She also stated that JLM was awarded the most outstanding athlete award in High School for football and wrestling. I do think that he had learning disabilities but I think that just made being successful at football more important psychologically. I think we can get stuck on childhood being the place where it all starts. There might have been some kind of trauma that we don't know about with JLM's past but I think there is enough about him that we do know to define him as an organized African American serial killer.

I don't see him as "organized" at all. I saw an interview with his landlady from an interaction she had with him the evening before his apt was searched, and his car was seized. She said he often needed help paying/keeping his bills straight...

I'm merely making a hunch as to where/how LJ, the gentle giant, may have gotten his wires severely crossed. Here is a firsthand account of LJ's behavior that night from eyewitnesses and those who he confronted http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/. Maybe I don't have much tolerance for obnoxious drunks, but it seems way over the line to me...

Gee, I hope I explained myself. I wasn't referring to JLM in my above post but was referring to his father. Yes, JLM's behavior that night was WAY over the top!

Characteristics of an Organized Serial Killer: average to above average intelligence, social, sexual capable, masculine, charming, strangers as targets, likes media attention, controlled emotions, plan murder, geographically mobile VS Unorganized Serial Killer: hasn't finished high school, lives alone, rarely dates, uncomfortable with woman, targets people he knows, dislikes media attention, immature, spontaneously murders, never kills far from home.

My feeling is he probably was a date raper in high school, or at least very aggressive with women sexually. Granted him getting kicked out of college may have made him angry and more aggressive but I think his problems with women sexually probably started with puberty and only got worse over time.

I actually think it's possible he didn't have many sexual experiences in high school. He was, from what I can see, rather religious (meaning there would have likely been pressure from his church to be sexually inactive in high school) and Spicer2000 also said JM cried when a girl who he asked to the prom turned him down. It also appears to be that he was a bit bumbling socially. My point is that when all of this is looked at as a whole, it may be possible he was very INexperienced sexually until he got to college. Perhaps there was pent-up resentment of his lack of experience, of never getting the girl. Of course- to result in rape and eventually murder- all of this have to be part of larger psychological issues which none of us are yet privy to (yet about which we can make many good hypotheses).

As jrreporter said, not everything is begun in childhood. I realize high school isn't exactly childhood, but I do agree that so far I don't see many burning red flags before 2002 that would suggest sexual aggression played out. Now, whether he was into such video games, violent *advertiser censored*, etc, that is possible. But my working theory right now is that rejection and resentment of his inexperience played a part in his snap once at LU. All JMO for the time being.

ETA: speaking here only of sexual red flags. I do see several other issues in childhood that I believe were laying the groundwork for a very troubled person- social issues, physical aggression issues, etc.

I think for whatever reason JM does as his impulses and desires lead him. No where is it more obvious tnan in the Fairfax case where he wanted assault, overpowere and rape a random vulnearalbe woman just out of the blue. Didn't need any charming or other social interaction at all to attack her. With Hannah and MH, it's pretty clear that he saw opportunities, picked up the women, took them straightaway to secluded places he knew about (easy for him as he knew the area well), did as he pleased with them and just left them. Not much hiding of the bodies at all. Hannah's is literally just thrown into a ditch. didn't even bother to throw out the pants somewhere. No surprise to me that the other pieces of clothing are missing, you'd think he'd take it all and just pitch the whole mess in different trash cans in the areas, but I JM is just sloppy and careless. Once he's done, he's done. I wonder if any of Hannah's things were found in his apt or car. MH's shirt, I think he just pitched somewhere. Fromw what we do know about him, I can't see him taking the care of putting in up on display. Someone else probably found it thrown out somewhere and took the time to display it for whatever reason. He goes out with women, gets so far with them, and doesn't stop when they say so. My guess is that there will be a bevy of woment to attest that, who may or may not have gotten raped by him. Some lucky enough to get away without getting harmed, some getting raped and hurt, and some maybe yet unfound and linked, who got killed.

I think for whatever reason JM does as his impulses and desires lead him. No where is it more obvious tnan in the Fairfax case where he wanted assault, overpowere and rape a random vulnearalbe woman just out of the blue. Didn't need any charming or other social interaction at all to attack her. With Hannah and MH, it's pretty clear that he saw opportunities, picked up the women, took them straightaway to secluded places he knew about (easy for him as he knew the area well), did as he pleased with them and just left them. Not much hiding of the bodies at all. Hannah's is literally just thrown into a ditch. didn't even bother to throw out the pants somewhere. No surprise to me that the other pieces of clothing are missing, you'd think he'd take it all and just pitch the whole mess in different trash cans in the areas, but I JM is just sloppy and careless. Once he's done, he's done. I wonder if any of Hannah's things were found in his apt or car. MH's shirt, I think he just pitched somewhere. Fromw what we do know about him, I can't see him taking the care of putting in up on display. Someone else probably found it thrown out somewhere and took the time to display it for whatever reason. He goes out with women, gets so far with them, and doesn't stop when they say so. My guess is that there will be a bevy of woment to attest that, who may or may not have gotten raped by him. Some lucky enough to get away without getting harmed, some getting raped and hurt, and some maybe yet unfound and linked, who got killed.

Well said. Reading your post succinctly put the words together for me of how he has operated so selfishly, so impulsively, and how everyone seems "disposable" to him.

Well said. Reading your post succinctly put the words together for me of how he has operated so selfishly, so impulsively, and how everyone seems "disposable" to him.

My impression is that he is and was a predator. I don't get the feeling that he had a strong libido, but that sexual aggression was an element of his overall instinct to be a violent predator. I think that if he had had the opportunity to kill the women who were raped in college, he would have been able to satisfy his ultimate goal of killing them. Who knows exactly when he first satisfied that goal? Reportedly he ran away after the Fairfax assault..........but he may have thought that he had succeeded in killing her.....until he read that she had survived. He took great pleasure in the capture and torment and kill. JMO

I would bet my paycheck he had Hannah's sparkly top at his apartment. His trophy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000