MD - Officers Injured, Baltimore Businesses Shut Down Amid Violent Riots - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
And while I certainly think we should reserve judging people simply because they use an unfortunate term, I have never understood the outrage that greets every suggestion that words have meaning and maybe we could take a second look at the words we use and the meanings they convey. The way people have carried on in this thread alone, one would think they were being carted off to the Chinese "reeducation camps" of the Cultural Revolution.

RSBM Me too.

I spent a quarter-century in "elite academia" (Ivy League and U. of California) as a student, teaching assistant and professor. I was continually surprised how reports of "political correctness" were exaggerated by the media.

Yes, there is a concern with words and their meanings in academia. That is part of the Academy's mission: to make us think about why we use the words we choose and what meanings we convey.

But just because Fox News or CNN loves to express faux outrage at supposed excesses, they are, in my experience, quite rare. It is far more common that disagreements about vocabulary are handled privately between the parties involved.

Speaking for myself as a gay man, I hear all sorts of offensive remarks every day--from family and friends as well as strangers. I have no problem speaking up, but as a rule I consider the intention and ignore most such remarks, knowing no offense was intended.

And while I certainly think we should reserve judging people simply because they use an unfortunate term, I have never understood the outrage that greets every suggestion that words have meaning and maybe we could take a second look at the words we use and the meanings they convey. The way people have carried on in this thread alone, one would think they were being carted off to the Chinese "reeducation camps" of the Cultural Revolution.

I've spent the same amount of time around the same (and still am) and I am no longer surprised at how ridiculous they are with their PCness.

I used to go along to get along and now I just laugh at them. The funny thing is that many of them are starting to get it.

It now seems this mayor ain't making no friends on either side. One guy talking with the reporter is upset at her for calling the kids of Baltimore the "T" word yesterday. And yes, she did, I saw that presser myself and kinda thought she shouldn't be using such "off-color" words in her position.

She needs to just "stand down".......... IMHO

She needs to have an official spokesperson ... like everyone else and stay away from microphones. :)

It's not just you.
One does not need to be a member of Mensa to figure out their intent.
As far as the media reporting on these riots, what are they supposed to do? Stand in front of a burning building during an atrocious riot and give a weather report?
I do agree that some MSM is biased.
Good thing that we have off buttons on our televisions.
There are many positive posts in this very thread indicating that good people are attempting to clean up the destruction caused by criminals. (thanks to pops and other members posting).

:D There is a lot I don't understand about this. 1)The N word has changed meaning and is acceptable/unacceptable. 2)The T word has been glamorized as a lifestyle through music and is no longer acceptable and 3)People are upset about police harassment/abuse/murder/inequality of their own kind and go out and hand out more violence/abuse/destruction to their own kind. I'm just not seeing how this benefits anyone other than those who are doing the oppression? It's not the oppressors stuff being destroyed...... Not that I am making a suggestion, but why not direct that destruction to the goverment property?

It just makes no sense from any angle one looks at it......

Hoping for the best but feeling very unsettled moving toward night fall

I keep hearing now about how these kids are not given the same opportunities. It's making me so mad. Those who get ahead in life are rarely "given" opportunity, they create it and seize it. Those sitting around for opportunity to knock will grow old in the same place. I firmly believe where there is a will there is a way. Unless you are a trustfund baby, you have to make it happen yourself. There are winners and losers in life, and it all comes down to attitude and persistence.

I'm so arrrgggghhh at the gang involvement in directing rioters towards Arab and Asian businesses, isn't that the same exact kind of bigotry they're supposedly rioting about .. the tail is wagging the dog.

Yes, but it's justified with the mindset that someone else is doing something much worse than the rioters..... The your sin is worse than mine mindset, thus my sin is ok. :D

I think the media DID distort her message...it seemed to me that she was regretting that she gave the demonstrators space and that in that space rioters also appeared. She seems to be in way over her head, frankly.

I agree that she appears to be in over her head. But I disagree that the media distorted her message. I think she did mean to say that she allowed them 'space' for some civil unrest but I don't think she expected it to go sideways so fast and so far. JMO

That street must be a two way one...if you refuse to respect the rights and properties of others then I am sorry but yes, you do not deserve to partake of YOUR rights. Which means we get to set you aside from civil life because well, you refuse to be civil.

I agree we imprison way too many...but the why of that is far more complex than 'disrespecting POC'...the ones in prison have been convicted of a crime. That means they have disrespected the rest of us...so when are THEY going to grant the rest of us the respect they howl for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname