Oscar Pistorius - Discussion Thread #63 ~ the appeal~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you should read the actual words I wrote instead of putting your own biased slant on them. Twisting things doesn't help your cause.

What's a victim's forum? You aren't the victim in this case so you can't mean it's a forum for victims of the crime under discussion. So it must mean that you take the side of the victim as there can be no other interpretation of a victim's forum if it's not for actual victims. I did read your words.

Why is it relevant that this happened on Reeva's birthday?

No-one can determine the significance of this announcement coming on her birthday - just struck me as oddly coincidental to make announcement today.

I do think it was previously coincidental that he was being released 2 days after her birthday (aka unfortunate timing), so logically it could be simply another case of the same flowing from the first, if u follow. (and he couldn't really release this at the eleventh hour could he eg Fri morn purely to avoid releasing it on her b'day.)

rest is idle speculation from me with zero hard info........ie.

If it was sheer incompetence initially on behalf of June held PB, then you can u'stand the Minister saying yesterday that he "didn't want egg on the face" of S.A. as he didn't later want to be embarassed once the mistake was uncovered after OP's release - as that would lead to C.Services being accused of special treatment for OP.
However......
I dunno

Insignificant but what I would put a bet on - is that the minister knew this/made this decision earlier in the week, before he made the public statements on Aug 18th. ie he was "prepping" in the Aug 18th statement

Mandy Weiner
#OscarPistorius What this really highlights is what a shambles the parole system is in SA. How many 'low profile' cases do they get wrong?

#OscarPistorius According to the law, OP has to serve 1/6th of sentence (ten months) before being 'considered', not before being 'released'.

Shambolic - Rather like Masipa's judgements ..........

oops - forgot the tweet that's more interesting

Mandy Weiner again

OscarPistorius Justice ministry says it can't be sure how long the parole board will take to meet so not sure when he will be released.

I have no idea of the usual intervals for PRB meetings - does anyone else? It might be a guide for when the next one occurs as they surely can't arrange a special one-off for him now.

So....because OP was considered for parole too early, his actual parole date has to be delayed and reconsidered? Not because he is being released too early, but because the decision to set a release date was made too early?

Sorry about all the bolds - just trying to keep it clear in my own head.

*Remembering Reeva on her birthday, of course.

Abbreviated!
MJ (Min of Justice):

R(Reporter): You ref decision back to parole board?... Why?

MJ: I received a petition from a womens' group...I, in considering decision, thought I shld look at act under which (parole decision made)..I came to conclusion....that the boarrd had erred by sitting & considering his parole before the min period required to serve under provision which only lapses tomorrow.

Thank you Zwiebel - nice to see you back here - just your thoughts will do - don't go to any trouble.

What's a victim's forum? You aren't the victim in this case so you can't mean it's a forum for victims of the crime under discussion. So it must mean that you take the side of the victim as there can be no other interpretation of a victim's forum if it's not for actual victims. I did read your words.
Websleuths is a forum about victims. Is that better?

PM one of the moderators if you want confirmation.

MJ: ...The act is clear, says person sentenced under relevant provision must serve at least 1/6th of sentence before they can be considered for parole - means parole board cld not have been in position to consider his parole before that period of 11/6th, which has not lapsed yet.

MJ:

Oh. My other computer just ran out of juice. Haave to try and get back to the link on this one now, so there's going to be a short interval....

Can't stop or start while using 1 computer so transcript will be bad now...

MJ: It was on the basis...parole board misinterpreted the law, so I refered it to the nat council (parole bard)

R: So if Nat Women's Council had not put tog petition, injustice would have happened?

MJ: Aah...

MJ...I don't have time to peruse all records...inmates sentenced under different jurisdictions, different times etc...

R: ...should tell you then about level of shambles that cld prevail in parole system?

Websleuths is a forum about victims. Is that better?

PM one of the moderators if you want confirmation.

Yes, we are victim friendly. We don't bash victims, and it's against the TOS if that helps.

MJ ...In the light of number of decisions (then quotes another case) I've rejected a lot of parole applications...caused me to look at the machinery. There's a lot of work to be done. I've committed over nxt 12 mnths to try and improve the efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant