IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the local Northwest Herald FOIA'd the personnel file from Fox Lake. But, they curated this copy. It is 264 pages, but 20 are published. The Fox32 .PDF was 132 pages. So, that means there is more to the personnel file that hasn't been published between these two sources. What else lurks?

The Village of Fox Lake fulfilled a Northwest Herald Freedom of Information Act request for Fox Lake Police Lt. Joseph Gliniewicz's personnel file. The Northwest Herald examined the 264-page file and has curated these excerpts of notable incidents from his file.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/288685300/Fox-Lake-Police-Lt-Joseph-Gliniewicz-personnel-file-excerpts

The picture just gets sadder and sadder for me. I hope someone responsible is keeping an eye on his younger sons, especially the youngest. I imagine that he did not know of his father's wrong doings. With all of this information coming out about his father and allegations against his brother and mother, combined with how peers can be, he might be at great risk for harming himself.

Gliniewicz appears to have had an alcohol problem for a long time. The suspension for failure to show related to having a beer after volleyball gives a sense that he had a hard time resisting alcohol, although he describes it as being pressured by his peers. The lack of accountability from his department---dead drunk in his vehicle but no DUI, no follow up docs on the subject of meetings that he was demanded to attend after incidents--- put many citizens at risk. And, this lack of accountability gave him the impression that he could just do what he wanted rather than abide by code of conduct. Would the chief have been held accountable if the next day after he lost his truck, Gliniewicz got hammered again and killed someone. I hope they will clean lots of house after this.

With this profile, I am calling BS on the commander who said that they were unsure this was a suicide until very recently. He was a believer in his self importance and grandstander. He did things in a big way--overly drink, sexually harass in a particularly degrading way (having her watch him urinate behind the building), rigorous explorer training, and wanting the codes based on his position. No way they did not know his true self. He lied about not being at work. They had the anonymous letter that could have led to verification of his actions since 2009. I am not a fan of forcing investigative documents before something is complete. But they had to know this was staged early on. Someone on here remarked that the feds and other officers stopped searching pretty abruptly. I think that is when they knew something was not right. All the rest of the actions ---continual searching and press conferences--- were done to keep others from digging up his dirt and their actions regarding his misconduct. JMHO.

Boo Hoo, he was such a GENTLE man.......barf. He was so paranoid about terrorists.....I guess it takes one to know one. Also, I imagine that the majority of his colleagues knew what a creep he was...maybe not about the embezzlement...but everything else was probably known. I can see how initially and briefly, his colleagues may have thought he was murdered, but I'll bet that within a few days, everyone pretty much knew it was staged. JMO

Seriously wondering if there are any unsolved hit-and-runs/missing people from the area now.

but..but...but...he's a law enforcement officer who's supposed to be the good guy; the guy whose orders you're supposed to follow (i.e. "suck my d***"...) and ask questions later. The guy that many, because of his badge, think he automatically deserves the benefit of all doubt over any and every civilian - yeah, this guy.
No "good guy" and certainly no hero. I hope he never rests in peace.

MO ~

And the female officer, so sad her personal business is now out for the world to read. She's a victim of his all over again.

I'm with the other poster above, my thoughts are with the youngest son. Such betrayal, dad and now finding out about cr** your own mom was doing and might have been doing. I'll adopt him :)

I guess 'curated' is newspeak for edited.

Worthless newspapers.

Someone with a psychology background needs to write a book about the pathology of this family.

How did both the husband and wife come to be what they are? What were their childhoods like?
This could be a serious study of how some people with criminal minds manage to fool so many people. What causes them to have such a great sense of entitlement and self-centeredness. Of course the parents and other family members would probably not help in any real way. Those who may have contributed to the problem would never realize that they may have been the cause.

I think the reason I'm interested in crime is the "why" and "how". I mean why and how to peoples minds get twisted, or when do they make a conscious decision to commit crime.
Honestly this family's demoralizing shadow behaviors are nothing new in the psychology world.

I can't link, but if y'all are interested, go to the FB page, "True Blue Warriors."

One of the administrators wrote a pretty nice post about why they are taking down their tributes to LT, and why they didn't do it earlier. IMO, it's very well reasoned. And most of the comments are supportive and understanding of it. My coworkers are also feeling betrayed by this, and disheartened. But, in the end, it's good that all the bad is coming out...it's a shame he got away with it for so long. The bad few will not take down the good, overall. Those with integrity know and don't fall into those traps.

I *really* hope when the dust settles on this that there is a full and thorough investigation *of the investigation*.

I'm not convinced in the least that Filenko and co. didn't pull out every stop they could in order to try to cover this up, but at a certain point with the feds involved it became a losing battle. It's the only way for this department to regain any sort of public confidence from the community. Drag it all out into the sunlight and hopefully learn from this in order to create more oversight and accountability going forward.

The bad few will not take down the good, overall. Those with integrity know and don't fall into those traps.

Those with integrity, in addition to not falling into those traps, should make sure that those without aren't allowed to operate with impunity on the force, and not turn a blind eye for fear of retribution or due to some twisted sense of allegiance.

IMO

but..but...but...he's a law enforcement officer who's supposed to be the good guy; the guy whose orders you're supposed to follow (i.e. "suck my d***"...) and ask questions later. The guy that many, because of his badge, think he automatically deserves the benefit of all doubt over any and every civilian - yeah, this guy.
No "good guy" and certainly no hero. I hope he never rests in peace.

MO ~

Your post reminds me of the thing that upsets me most about this case. It is the "entitlement" mentality that not only the (now disgraced) Lt had but apparently his wife and at least one son had it too. This is not a mentality that just happens over night. As we can see from his records, it has been festering for years with multitudes serving as enablers even as they were giving him little slaps on the wrists (one day suspensions) for repeatedly being late.

A person who habitually thinks they are above showing up for work when everyone else is required to be there is exhibiting an entitlement mentality. I have no doubt that this is extremely common in just about every position of authority in our country.

Something needs to be done to identify these situations and patterns - to bring them to light sooner rather than later. The problem is that so many of our policy makers are just as corrupt or even worse than the Lt was.

I don't even like recognizing his rank anymore.

Just say RANK Gliniewicz........JMO

Ugh, my computer is back to not letting me quote posts, so....MARBLE

Yes, agree on others not allowing it to happen.

I was saddened, but also relieved (is that a correct word for what I'm trying to say? LOL) that numerous officers had had it with LT and at least TRIED to speak up and do something about it back in 2009. It's a rough road when it's your higher ups that refuse to see what's really going on. Sure it happens in LE, and fire depts and other public agencies, but we could all probably remember similar experiences. When the corruption is in the higher levels...or they turn a blind eye.

In my federal agency (which gets in the news now more than it ever has in the past, grrr), it's a tough call...when is it better to promote to the highest levels, someone who is an "insider" and KNOWS the elaborate ins and outs...or when is it best to bring in new blood that has to start to learn the entire agency from the beginning? And THEN>>>> add politics. Ugly beast.
Leadership. Yes, role models are needed.

Glad the other officers tried to speak up in their small agency. Bet there's a lot of higher ups in the command that are sweating right now, those that may still be active, and those that have left and still have signatures on paperwork :)

I was thinking about the docs I read last night and kind of chuckled a bit when I realized that he basically screwed over a guy that was late to the airport with no remorse and self-righteously stated that he isn't responsible for someone running late, yet he was late for work ALL THE TIME!!!

I was thinking about the docs I read last night and kind of chuckled a bit when I realized that he basically screwed over a guy that was late to the airport with no remorse and self-righteously stated that he isn't responsible for someone running late, yet he was late for work ALL THE TIME!!!

Right?! I read all of them... Man, he was actually a really shirty employee and stereptypical power-trippy cop. These are the jackasses that make it so much more difficult for the good ones.

Also: the sexual misconduct w a subordinate... I didn't see docs about that incident, just that it was referenced in the letter from anonymous officers to the mayor. Any details on that?

Sent from my not so humble opinion.

The Griswalds, flipping off motorists, siren on, camo-dressed speeding through Wisconsin..... police canine snarling out the window....littering the highway with Marlboro butts and MRE packaging...( and Mel's dunkin donuts bag ).... a bobblehead icon in the rear window... war surplus weapons in the trunk....etc. JMO

Steelman's Madonna wedding was great but this kills me. It's all spiraled so crazily out of control and is nosediving downward to crash and burn leaving nothing except mushroom cloud of surrealistic dust and a grease spot.

Ugh, my computer is back to not letting me quote posts, so....MARBLE

Yes, agree on others not allowing it to happen.

I was saddened, but also relieved (is that a correct word for what I'm trying to say? LOL) that numerous officers had had it with LT and at least TRIED to speak up and do something about it back in 2009. It's a rough road when it's your higher ups that refuse to see what's really going on. Sure it happens in LE, and fire depts and other public agencies, but we could all probably remember similar experiences. When the corruption is in the higher levels...or they turn a blind eye.

In my federal agency (which gets in the news now more than it ever has in the past, grrr), it's a tough call...when is it better to promote to the highest levels, someone who is an "insider" and KNOWS the elaborate ins and outs...or when is it best to bring in new blood that has to start to learn the entire agency from the beginning? And THEN>>>> add politics. Ugly beast.
Leadership. Yes, role models are needed.

Glad the other officers tried to speak up in their small agency. Bet there's a lot of higher ups in the command that are sweating right now, those that may still be active, and those that have left and still have signatures on paperwork :)

I'm not real sure about this. In reading through the docs, it seemed to me that his past superiors were onto him and were following up with writeups and what seems to be a pre-stipulated penalties for such behavior, i.e. suspensions (several) official reprimands, etc... One went so far as to actually eliminate his position.

Police are union and they aren't that easy to just fire, particularly back in the day. It seems with social media now, there is a lot more pressure on police departments to make a quick firing when something goes viral. I think what we have here is that LtG was a "nice guy." He was charming and charismatic, apparently. Even the dispatcher he threatened was unsure if she loved him or hated him. I think he obviously had a way of talking himself out of things, or at least trying. (Some of his missing work excuses were laughable, but he was pretty young and single at the time, so...) But my point is that it isn't always easy to fire a union person without just cause. I think superiors have to walk a fine line between running a smooth department and getting themselves into trouble with the unions. I also think that LtG seems to have had troubled periods of time and periods of time where he seemed to shine. I haven't laid out the chronology just yet, but I would venture to guess a lot of the commendations that came in offset some of the bad stuff.

Caution, a little on a tangent here, but I have never send a commendation letter about a police office. Maybe I'm just lazy? But that is a lot of letters. Is that typical? Or do you think he may have encouraged people to write a letter on his behalf. Like when someone thanks you, you say, hey, do me a favor...write a letter on my behalf. It would help me out. And the average person would say, sure, no problem. Wonder if this was something he might have done.

The other thing is that a it costs money to train an officer and then tons more to fire them, search for a replacement, train them, etc...much more than someone in the general workforce. Maybe if when these things came up , they felt that he was redeemable? I don't know. There seemed to be several superiors he was under and maybe each change, he started with a clean slate as well, breaking in a new chief? However, at the end, it seems like he found himself a true compadre in Chief Behan. I am looking forward to learning more about him and their relationship.

P.S. How some of the more serious things could have been explained:
1.) The time he was found drunk in the car with foot on gas was a LONG time ago. We are talking almost 30 years ago. Yes, drunk driving was on the books, but it was nowhere near as severely enforced as it is today. Doesn't excuse it, but I understand them giving him a pass back then for more than if it were to happen today
2.) I think the drinking was in his younger days prior to getting married, correct? It seems like he admitted he had a problem, the department knew about it and he was working on it. I wonder if he spent a long period of time sober. He did seem to get over a lot of the issues with the tardiness, missing work, etc..in his later years, so got a bit smarter on that end, at least
3.) The dispatcher: I am sorry, but just reading her story had my head spinning and the picture of her jumping back and forth pulling her hair out of her head saying "in the office/out of the office" etc...was admittedly (by her) a bit on the loony side. I kind of understand why her complaint really didn't go very far
4.) Sexual harassment: what could they do? Her lawsuit was dismissed by the courts. They punished him for his part in the relationship that they could and had really no other choice but to move on. (Again - some 20 years ago, a bit different times.)

Also, I find it amusing that while he was texting his wife that the administrator hated him, had it out for him, etc...she says she hardly even knew him. I think in her mind she was just simply doing her job and may not have even suspected anything untoward, but rather more mismanagement, etc... I think at the time of his death, she had absolutely no clue he was panicking.

…...

Yes! Absolutely. That must have been terribly demoralizing and I hope the higher-ups will be held accountable for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA