OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think 18 pieces of evidence is peculiar? There were 8 people killed. 4 crime scenes and only 18 pieces of evidence? :waitasec::thinking:

Yes. That's why I think they don't seem very confident at the moment and probably another reason why they believe this was well planned out.

Does anyone know how much marijuana it takes to be considered a "grow operation"?

The link I posted above (again) spoke of a 1000-plant operation in Pike County. So that would probably be enough. They are frequently hidden in the woods.

Does anyone else think 18 pieces of evidence is peculiar? There were 8 people killed. 4 crime scenes and only 18 pieces of evidence? :waitasec::thinking:

Yes. That says it was methodical and planned. Gloves. Masks? That sort of thing. In. Out. Done.

Big hits with multiple victims is not all that unusual when it comes to drug wars and turf wars. Pot is a multi billion dollar industry and certainly multiple million dollar industry in Ohio. Three grow locations is significant. That's not recreational, that's intent to cultivate and distribute. The motive is going to come down to money and drugs and control. This may not have anything to do with Mexican drug cartels, as there are lots of criminal rings in the US with no ties to Mexico. I'm sure the crime rate in Ohio over drugs and drug trafficking is quite large. These grow locations are a local Ohio-based operation.

Some (pastor and Dana's BFF)think the family was stalked!

I would say the people that did this had to stalk to learn the movements of the family. The term "stalking in this case seems more like a step in the entire planned process. Saying they were stalked is like saying they were murdered.

Yes, it is. Given the information about the grow operations, it would have been more reassuring to see FBI and DEA out at the crime scene gathering evidence. Does anyone recall seeing any vehicles or jackets of officers identifying DEA or FBI? I don't recall seeing any.

I know to many, it sounds unlikely that this was about Marijuana. It may not have been. However, growing pot can be an extremely lucrative "business." It can also be pretty far reaching, as far as who's involved in and around the community.

How does a family have three different grow operations, but the local sheriff never knew anything about it, particularly when many family members did have some kind of criminal background?

Grow ops are usually found by helicopter or by snitch. They hide them in the woods so it's hard to see from the air. In California I've read they are guarded by heavily armed pot troops.

Just saw them announce at the presser on CNN that they found 3 separate marijuana growing operations at the crime scenes.
[video=cnn;us/2016/04/24/pike-county-ohio-family-killed-police-presser-sot-nr.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/24/us/marijuana-grow-operation-found-at-ohio-slaying-sites/index.html?adkey=bn[/video]

Very Very rural here. And not a lot of law enforcement. Also, heroin is such a huge problem, pot isn't a priority.

Yes, it is. Given the information about the grow operations, it would have been more reassuring to see FBI and DEA out at the crime scene gathering evidence. Does anyone recall seeing any vehicles or jackets of officers identifying DEA or FBI? I don't recall seeing any.

They should throw people out there wearing FBI and DEA jackets so it provides the right optics? I'm sure LE will confiscate any and all marijuana plants, and that may not happen in front of any media. They're trying to solve the case, not shoot a TV show. They don't want the bad guys to get more information about what they're doing and when. Sanctity and protection of the case is paramount.

Well,I hope they have talked to him, at least! JMO............who has custody of that infant?
I wonder the same thing. Who were the next people in line that would have gotten custody in the event of a tragedy?.. (among the deceased)

Big hits with multiple victims is not all that unusual when it comes to drug wars and turf wars. Pot is a multi billion dollar industry and certainly multiple million dollar industry in Ohio. Three grow locations is significant. That's not recreational, that's intent to cultivate and distribute. The motive is going to come down to money and drugs and control.

I'm not that well versed on this subject, but if it is drug-related could there be a connection to organized crime or the Mexican drug cartels? My comment is based on the presser where they said this was a sophisticated operation.

Cartels more so than traditional "organized crime."

Wouldn't necessarily have to be direct cartel involvement, although that is certainly a possibility.

Could also be any number of various street gangs that are involved with drug trafficking as a revenue stream. Street gangs come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and colors.

I just can't get all worked up and angry about some poor family's pot growing operation.....I'm sure that they had competitors....but it's not like they were living high on the hog! They lived in trailers, for the most part and had jobs that pay minimum wage. I just wonder if someone may have ratted someone else out a while ago and the person had to do time and plan revenge or something like that.... JMO

Maybe they just found the pot plants and that's why they are just now searching the woods around the area. FBI and DEA may be there now.

Big hits with multiple victims is not all that unusual when it comes to drug wars and turf wars. Pot is a multi billion dollar industry and certainly multiple million dollar industry in Ohio. Three grow locations is significant. That's not recreational, that's intent to cultivate and distribute. The motive is going to come down to money and drugs and control. This may not have anything to do with Mexican drug cartels, as there are lots of criminal rings in the US with no ties to Mexico. I'm sure the crime rate in Ohio over drugs and drug trafficking is quite large. These grow locations are a local Ohio-based operation.

Summary:

100 tips -- they want folks to be helpful and folks who give information will be protected and there is a $25,000 reward
50-60 interviews and some going on as the news conference occurred
100 personnel who have worked this case
5 -6 search warrants so far but they have not been recorded yet and will be made public through county at some time
all 5 crime scenes are under police guard
MARIJUANA found ("grow operations") at three crime scenes
18 pieces of evidence sent to crime lab for DNA and other testing

** per AG Dewine

Preplanned execution of 8 people
those who did it did their best to hinder LE investigation
Very different from "people mad at one another..."

per Sheriff

largest crime ever committed in Pike County
He had NO criminal contact with any of the Rhoden family in his 20 yrs of LE
asked for patience
said process would be lengthy
is deploying STAR team of 38 to go over all wooded regions AS WELL AS crime scenes to ensure no evidence is missed.

"All five crime scenes..."

Is that new?

There were four scenes previously reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member