Cooper Harris - Sidebar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?

Because I do not look at it as merely punishing after the fact. I look at it as potentially preventing the incidents in the first place. IOW, if there are known consequences, people might be more attuned to the responsibility at hand, i.e., the child in their care.

If I run a stop sign and someone is injured or killed because my mind was not on my driving but instead on how many donuts I need to buy for a brunch, I will go down for it, and if I know that in advance I might be a whole lot less likely to make donuts purchase my priority.

Were you speeding or texting or intoxicated when you ran the spot sign? I am skeptical you would see that harsh of a punishment. People drive drunk, kill someone, and nothing happens to them. If you make a mistake while driving, and there is nothing nefarious behind your actions (and sometimes, even if there is), you can get off with a slap on the wrist. People will still drive recklessly even though they know if they kill someone, there will be consequences. So I don't agree that parents knowing that if their child is left in a hot car, they will see a jail time will work. And until we still start sending people to jail for things like drunk driving or even rape (the conviction rate is extremely low), I am not here for us filling up the jails with innocent, grieiving parents.

Juror 78, a merchandise planner from Smyrna, said she and her husband both work for Home Depot, the company that previously employed Harris. But she said she was not working for the Cumberland-based company at the time of Cooper’s death — June 18, 2014

The potential juror said that she and her husband’s roles — he works as a digital content analyst — did not have them working with the team in which Harris worked during his time at the company. She also said that she and her husband worked at a Home Depot complex next to the Little Apron Academy, the day care Cooper had attended on Paces Ferry Road near Spring Hill Parkway

Despite her and her husband sharing the same employer as Harris, Juror 78 said she would feel no pressure to lean a certain way in the case. She also told Superior Court Judge Mary Staley that she had no opinion on the case and would be impartial if selected for the jury.

The woman also said she attended the University of Alabama, the same college attended by Harris. That fact led Harris attorney Maddox Kilgore to ask if he could begin his questioning of the juror with a “Roll Tide.”

“Roll Tide,” Juror 78 responded.

One line of Kilgore’s questioning asked the woman if she could endure viewing or hearing about any evidence concerning Cooper’s death and body.

“Any case involving the death of a child, there is going to be very, very disturbing testimony and photographs. What we want to know is are you going to be able to hear that kind of testimony?” Kilgore asked. “Are you going to be able to look at those kind of images and still be of the mindset that you’re telling us you are right now — wanting to give him a fair trial?”

Juror 78 responded by saying “the fact that it’s not a bloody, gory case, I would try to do my best. From what I know of the case, I think I could do it.”

She added that despite seeing any such images or hearing such testimony, she would continue to hold prosecutors to their burden of proof.

http://www.mdjonline.com/news/juror...cle_4fefbe22-0db3-11e6-b9a5-031b3616212b.html

Thank you for posting this JerseyGirl. :tyou:

Does is make anyone else here the least bit uncomfortable that Juror #78 has so much in common with jrh? Just because J#78 says she can remain impartial doesn't mean it will happen. Call me jaded, but this isn't sitting right with me. After enduring past trials where we've been left astounded with the end result, I've learned that trials are won and lost in jury selection. :cow:

That said, my HinkyMeter is acting up. :(

I wasn't able to access the linked article (encountered a paywall).

If someone could chime in, I have a question:

At this juncture, do we know if she (J#78) has been selected to sit on the jury, or may be an alternate?

A big :gthanks: to everyone who has helped to keep this thread updated, as I haven't been able to follow jury selection as closely as I'd like. You are all amazing!

:yourock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you speeding or texting or intoxicated when you ran the spot sign? I am skeptical you would see that harsh of a punishment. People drive drunk, kill someone, and nothing happens to them. If you make a mistake while driving, and there is nothing nefarious behind your actions (and sometimes, even if there is), you can get off with a slap on the wrist. People will still drive recklessly even though they know if they kill someone, there will be consequences. So I don't agree that parents knowing that if their child is left in a hot car, they will see a jail time will work. And until we still start sending people to jail for things like drunk driving or even rape (the conviction rate is extremely low), I am not here for us filling up the jails with innocent, grieiving parents.

I am not saying there would be or should be a conviction in all cases of hot car deaths. I am saying that when nothing happens to the negligent caregiver, it sends a message and that message is that nothing is likely to happen. Certainly in cases where there is obvious motive or intent, there are already charges but what about cases where the intent is not obvious or not malicious? What about cases where a kid is left alone at home while the parent goes about errands and the child is injured or dies accidentally during the parent's absence? Should there be no consequences just because mom comes home teary-eyed claiming there was no malice? Should we just assume she has suffered enough and just write those kids' deaths off as a mistake?

I am trying to find ways for people to wake up and smell the coffee, to be responsible for babies and toddlers who depend on them. Kids who die in a hot car suffer extreme pain and anguish. We cannot just ignore that.

No one has been selected. I believe you are interviewed based on your questionaire. That's where we are at now.

I've seen them jump over juror numbers, I assume those people didn't stand a chance, were called up to the stand and immediately disqualified.

The jurors listed here so far have been qualified (except for Juror #22, the *advertiser censored* enthusiast who was qualified, then disqualified). They will take the 80 or so "qualified" jurors, then pick from that pool until both sides decide on the final 12 or 14 or 16 (12 with 2 or 4 alternates).

Each side gets nine "peremptory" challenges.

That's basically what I know, if someone wants to chime in with legal terms, feel free to correct me.

No one has been selected. I believe you are interviewed based on your questionaire. That's where we are at now.

I've seen them jump over juror numbers, I assume those people didn't stand a chance, were called up to the stand and immediately disqualified.

The jurors listed here so far have been qualified (except for Juror #22, the *advertiser censored* enthusiast who was qualified, then disqualified). They will take the 80 or so "qualified" jurors, then pick until both sides decide on the final 12 or 14 or 16 (12 with 2 or 4 alternates).

Each side gets nine "peremptory" challenges.

That's basically what I know, if someone wants to chime in with legal terms, feel free to correct me.

Hopefully she will not get on the panel even as an alternate. I hope the prosecutor is on to her and that the judge does not override their strike. Still can't get the Anthony jury selection out of my head; vivid recollection of a juror who claimed it was not her place to judge people, state tried to strike and the judge would not allow her to be stricken.

Our legal process scares the carp out of me sometimes.

41 jurors.

Ryan Kerns ‏@RyanKernsEsq 21m21 minutes ago
So close we can taste it! 41 qualified jurors now, hang in there folks, one more panel of jurors. #hotcardeath #RossHarris

I didn't see anything written previously on Jurors #62 or #51 so I'll post now:

Quote of the day: “Never trust anyone with facial hair,” said Juror 62, who has a thick beard, in response to a question from bearded defense attorney Maddox Kilgore regarding previous legal representation.

Juror 62, born in France, is a decent possibility to be qualified based on his insistence that he would be “objective and honest.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/five-more-jurors-qualified-for-justin-ross-harris-/nrBnx/

Juror 51, a wheelchair-bound grandmother, said last week that while she initially believed Harris was guilty, she has since reconsidered after taking a closer look at the evidence. She also said she wanted to serve on the jury despite some health woes. Still, the defense agreed with the decision to strike her from the pool.

41 jurors.

Ryan Kerns ‏@RyanKernsEsq 21m21 minutes ago
So close we can taste it! 41 qualified jurors now, hang in there folks, one more panel of jurors. #hotcardeath #RossHarris

morning recap:

The four people who were most recently qualified are: a Smyrna woman who, like her husband, works for Home Depot; a technical engineer from East Cobb who mentors teenagers and whose son has been offered football scholarships from more than a dozen colleges; an accountant from North Cobb who said she believed her nephew was wrongly charged with murder for a fatal traffic accident; and a software engineer from Smyrna who loves to watch NBA games on TV with her beloved Yorkshire Terrier.

Juror #84 - Of the first two jurors interviewed Friday morning, one was excused for medical reasons. He suffered congestive heart failure a year ago and continues to feel dizzy and fatigued. He said he was greatly worried about his health if he had to sit on the jury and see the “brutal” material expected to be presented at trial. “I don’t want to have some condition where I drop down dead,” he said. As Juror #84 began discussing his medical maladies in great detail, the lawyers asked him to pause so they could talk to the judge. Both sides agreed he should be excused.

Juror #83 - Also questioned was a retiree from Kennesaw with 11 grandchildren. She said she has strong feelings about what happened and believes Harris is guilty. “He left his son in the car and went to work and the child died,” she said. He was having an affair, just wanted to get rid of the kid.” She said it would be difficult for her to put her thoughts aside when hearing the evidence, and she also said she would probably hold it against Harris if didn’t testify in his defense. “To intentionally kill a child is totally despicable,” she said. “Technically, he’s innocent.” She was among those who were later struck for cause on grounds she couldn’t be impartial. Both the state and the defense were in agreement on that outcome.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/four-more-qualified-to-serve-on-jury-in-hot-car-mu/nrDsp/

Do the potential jurors at this stage have access to the evidence?

Not speeding, not texting. I was just not paying attention to my driving and didn't see the stop sign.

In my state, not much would happen beyond a traffic citation if no one was harmed or no property damaged. However, if my negligence caused harm or death, you can bet there would be some serious consequences. As there should be, of course. But, my point is that my knowing in advance of what could happen and what the consequences could be helps me stay focused on the priority--my driving.

Thank you all for clarifying the jury qualification status.

Keep up the amazing work :)

#JusticeForCooper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first jury selection case here at WS.

Will we know exactly which jurors (by their numbers here) they eventually pick to sit on the jury?

This is my first jury selection case here at WS.

Will we know exactly which jurors (by their numbers here) they eventually pick to sit on the jury?

Interested in this answer as well...
Watching the questions being asked via Court Chatter is pretty interesting.

Gosh, how can there be disturbing photos if Cooper just looked peaceful, like he was sleeping? (As Ross told Leanna at the police station that night, also saying "I dreaded how he would look.")

/sarcasm
But Cooper was found with facial injuries and his tongue protruding... I see you closed your comment w/sarcasm so..
HLN will have opening statements live & "gavel to gavel" coverage, I guess I can note that. I better bone up on WS terms, " bumping"??, navigation, policy. Its going to be a long hot summer. 2 years later. Poor, precious Cooper..

I was about to say, maybe if the penalties are steeper people would be more vigilant and the "forgetfulness" will stop causing accidental hot car deaths. And then I thought...if a dead child isn't a steep enough penalty, what is??
A dead child seems to be the reward not penalty in RH case. Can't believe life insurance info can't be admitted, but then state doesn't have to prove premeditation, but that act occurred during commission of felony (sexting w a minor). Correct me if..

Hopefully she will not get on the panel even as an alternate. I hope the prosecutor is on to her and that the judge does not override their strike. Still can't get the Anthony jury selection out of my head; vivid recollection of a juror who claimed it was not her place to judge people, state tried to strike and the judge would not allow her to be stricken.

Our legal process scares the carp out of me sometimes.
I think you meant crap, but could be carp...lol. I agree Casey Anthony jury was one of the worst ever..

I really don't see this as a terrible mistake but from now on I'll keep my opinions to myself.

He made multiple "mistakes" that day.

No, don't keep your opinions to yourself, I share them. I think this was intentional murder- made to look like an accident. Some here think it was an accident, so he was somewhat effective...

I was about to say, maybe if the penalties are steeper people would be more vigilant and the "forgetfulness" will stop causing accidental hot car deaths. And then I thought...if a dead child isn't a steep enough penalty, what is??

Yeah, if there really is such a thing as "forgotten baby syndrome" then I guess no penalty will act as a deterrent. OTOH, I'm curious to see if new laws will deter parents from purposely leaving their kids locked in a car. Tennessee passed a law in July of 2014 that gives people permission to smash a car window in order to rescue a child inside without being liable for the damage. In July of 2015 they extended it to cover pets too.

As for the "I forgot about my kid" cases, I'm getting a little sick of the "parent has been punished enough" sentiment by prosecutors. Once the investigation is complete then fine - if the evidence shows the parent genuinely forgot then act according to local law, be it no charge, suspended sentence, jail term, whatever. But please, the dead child deserves a thorough investigation, so don't just hand the parent a pass simply because they're the parent.

One case from 2007 really bothers me. In 2007, Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby, the assistant principal whose daughter died wasn't prosecuted because she had suffered enough. What's shocking to me is that a week earlier she had purposely left her in the car briefly. In fact she had a habit of leaving Cecilia in the car - a school official even warned her to stop it. Plus, CCTV showed that she returned to the SUV five times during the day Cecilia died and once moved the SUV to another location in the parking lot. Yet prosecutors called Cecilia's death a "tragic mistake." Case closed.

The mother wasn't prosecuted but I think she should have at the least been charged with negligence. And in the extreme, her actions could be seen as suspicious. I wonder if the investigation would have gone differently if it happened today...

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is there's a fine line between experiencing some sort of brain dysfunction and letting distactions take priority over your responsibilities to your child and each case needs to be carefully examined before condemning or exonerating the parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592