Match! MO - St Louis Co, WhtFem UP5294, 31-35, below scenic lookout, Aug'90 *Cynthia Day*

Years ago I saw a case on Forensic Files where they were able to positively identify a crime victim from a murder that happened decades earlier, despite lack of DNA and dentals. There was strong circumstantial evidence in the case, but they need more to make an ID. So, they obtained a photo that had been taken of the victim face forward when she was alive. A forensic anthropologist then took a photo of the skull from the same angle and distance, and was then able to superimpose the skull over the living photo and demonstrate that all of the facial features lined up precisely, which was used as the basis for positive ID.

If the skull is still available, could that not also be done for this case?

That's potentially a good idea. I remember something like that being done for a body found in Florida, who from memory turned out to be one of Christopher Wilder's victims (I remember seeing an animated gif of the skull fading into the photo, or maybe vice-versa).

They are still waiting to find out if this is Cynthia Day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/cold-case-spotlight/cynthia-louise-day-s-daughters-convinced-her-remains-have-been-n525951

It was on that website an anonymous tip was left regarding the box of bones found in Pike County.

There were too many similarities for Melody to ignore, she's adamant the remains are her mother's'. "The woman's reproductive organs were missing, my mother had a full hysterectomy. There were breaks in the pelvis. My mother broke her pelvis giving birth to me and again slipping on ice years later," Melody said. "It has to be her. It's the best lead we've ever gotten."

If the remains in the box are indeed Cynthia's, they cannot be released to the family until a positive ID is made. Melody's goal is to make that happen as soon as possible.

"They aren't being as cooperative as you'd think they would be regarding this," Melody said. "I just want her home with us."

Chaddylex has been working with Cynthia's family, and following up with authorities for nearly seven years, and has been told all along that there is no way to get a positive ID because they are unable to get DNA from the bones. (The bones were boiled, and all the DNA was destroyed).

Even when they said it was a rule-out on dentals because the missing front tooth was lost postmortem, not antemortem (as Cynthia's was), Chaddylex didn't buy it and kept plugging along

So no matter what the official story is, this is Chaddylex's solve.

Congrats Chaddylex

Ok I think I might be on to something here, please give me feedback!

Cynthia Day missing since August 10, 1990
from National City IL (according to Charley Project) - East St Louis IL (according to NAMPM)

Height: 5'2"
Weight: 125 lbs
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Missing eye tooth
on the left side, no tattoos and has one pierced hole
in each ear, as well she has a scar from a hysterectomy.

Charley Project has more details of disapperance

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/day_cynthia.html

http://www.nampn.org/cases/day_cynthia.html

Compared to this UID in Namus and on the Doe Network

The victim was discovered on August 26, 1990 in St. Louis County, Missouri
Estimated Date of Death: 4 Days - (August 22, 1990)
State of Remains: Decomposed

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 31-35 years old Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Pierced ears. Ovaries and uterus absent.
Clothing: Found nude.
Jewelry: Large gold earrings.
Dentals: Available.
Other: Full body x-rays available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was found at the bottom of a high bluff, at a scenic lookout area, which overlooks the Mississippi River Valley, in St. Louis County, Missouri on August 26, 1990.

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/5294

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/883ufmo.html

Things that match:
height
Weight is within 5lbs
UID had large gold earrings, Cynthia is shown in pictures with large earrings in her ears
Cynthia was 37 when she went missing UID age range was 31-35
Cynthia has as hysterectomy scar - UID is missing uterus and ovaries

Cynthia went missing on August 10, 1990, UID was found August 26, 1990 and was decomposing.

What is questionable is that Cynthia was missing an eye tooth and the UID is said to be missing Postmortem

Please let me know what you all think!!

Wow, you've had this since day one of the thread. Awesome

WTG, Chaddy! I was just thinking about this case within the last week or so. I am so glad fingerprints were found. Thank you for never giving up for thus family.

Sleep peacefully Cynthia, you're finally home. :rose:

Chaddylex has been working with Cynthia's family, and following up with authorities for nearly seven years, and has been told all along that there is no way to get a positive ID because they are unable to get DNA from the bones. (The bones were boiled, and all the DNA was destroyed).

Even when they said it was a rule-out on dentals because the missing front tooth was lost postmortem, not antemortem (as Cynthia's was), Chaddylex didn't buy it and kept plugging along

So no matter what the official story is, this is Chaddylex's solve.

Congrats Chaddylex

Great job! Congrats! I'm sure words can't describe your feeling right now

I'm so sorry her family had to wait so long but am thankful you didn't give up on them! Much prayers to her family.

Does anyone know where the print came from?

So psyched another Doe can go home to her family. They've waited much too long.

Thanks Carl and everyone else!

As I told Carl on Monday, I was notified by Cynthia's family that she was finally identified by a thumbprint that the Missouri Highway Patrol had all along. I can't believe it took this long. I turned this possible match in in late December 2009, thinking it would be an easy match. The poor family has been trying since then to get a positive ID.

I didn't post on here that Cynthia was positively identified out of respect for the family. (I wanted them to let everyone know first) I am so glad that the family has closure and they can bring her home.

Chaddylex, your perseverance through the years is so admirable and awe inspiring. Thank you for continuing to pursue this match and helping Cynthia's family.

Thanks Carl and everyone else!

As I told Carl on Monday, I was notified by Cynthia's family that she was finally identified by a thumbprint that the Missouri Highway Patrol had all along. I can't believe it took this long. I turned this possible match in in late December 2009, thinking it would be an easy match. The poor family has been trying since then to get a positive ID.

I didn't post on here that Cynthia was positively identified out of respect for the family. (I wanted them to let everyone know first) I am so glad that the family has closure and they can bring her home.

I can't imagine how you feel. Great job staying on it until something could be done!
I'm so thankful the print just happened to pop up to allow her daughters the next phase to process that the Jane is proven to be their mother and that she was in fact murdered.

Here's an article with a little more information.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_93b9cd90-0c16-5231-8118-deed723c9053.html

7 years is way too long for any family to wait for an id. I guess I'm just glad there was finally just one person who was willing to do the manual work to get this done. It makes me wonder how many more cases are out there just like this one.

I don't doubt there are more. My first entry into NamUs Tracie Vicent should also have prints as well as arrest photos. So should another case I help with Lori Richardson missing out of NC.

Comment by Todd Matthews of NamUs in the article you linked to -

Todd Matthews · Director, Communications and Case Management - NamUs.gov at UNT Health Science Center
This is why it is important that fingerprint cards from the missing and unidentified are actually uploaded into www.NamUs.gov --- NOT just an indication of whether or not a print exists - but actually uploading the cards into the system. Like · Reply · 2 · Sep 14, 2016 11:50am

Roselvr, What would you say is the best way to get print cards/actual prints entered into NamUs?

Chaddylex, your perseverance through the years is so admirable and awe inspiring. Thank you for continuing to pursue this match and helping Cynthia's family.

Thank you. I wish I could have done more for them.

Roselvr, What would you say is the best way to get print cards/actual prints entered into NamUs?

Just woke up. I usually tell the NamUs contact they should exist. The NamUs rep will reach out to LE trying to get the arrest records, some have them, some don't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back