Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

[video]https://www.facebook.com/wsav3/videos/10153787540882312/[/video]

Hope everyone is staying safe - prayers for everyone affected by this hurricane

Heatbreaking for the families in Haite that lost loved ones. RIP all. That's a tremedous amount of people to be lost. My heart breaks for all of you.

Unfortunetly, we are flying to FL to be with my mom, 92. Not doing good. Matthew backtracking & Nicole lingers? Argh...love FL hate the tornadoes, storms & especially the hurricanes. LIved there...oh and black outs/brown outs...

RIP to all & may you all be held tightly. Be careful SC! NC! Be safe all in this bastards path.
Praying for safe travels for you and family! Sending love and light and prayers for your mother!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Things are rocking and rolling here in SE NC. Wilmington and surrounding counties under tornado warnings. The eye is just now in Charleston. I was awakened around 1 am by the wind and rain. A short while later I heard sirens and they stopped right in front of the condo so I got up and looked out the window and one of the apts across the street was on fire. Needless to say, I am still awake!

Stay safe everyone. This will be a looong ride!
Omg! Was everyone ok??? Hope you are safe! Sending prayers your way!

We lost power for about 8 hours last night. My granddaughter who is 17 mths old was up all night. Started with a cold yesterday morning and I think the pressure from the storm was making her ears hurt worse. She's finally eased off now and resting. None of our trees fell although many are leaning terribly now. If one of them falls we will loose all power for a while. If the other falls it will wipe out power to the neighborhood plus block a major roadway. Praying that doesn't happen! Just slightly windy now and a lot of clouds but no rain atm. Praying for everyone! Please stay safe and don't get out in this weather! Love to all! 😘

1:42 Chief says call 311 not 911 orView attachment 102638 Anchor saluting son as she hands desk over, after riding the hurricane through, reporting on the aftermath and emphasizing patience and checking for updates here: http://wsav.com/live-stream/ and through links on their site.
attachment.php
Emergency numbers and rainfall

Pulaski waterway during the last flooding, at about ten inches to give context for what may have happened last night at 12.5 inches View attachment 102641 The last high tide, as the eye wall hit here, knocked out capacity to record it too. Official word is in 12.56, broke records. 3:31

attachment.php

2:04 Tybee flooded, but amazingly not many house damaged by falling trees, but surrounded by water, all who did not leave safe, Mayor says "we will rebuild together".Screenshot 2016-10-08 at 2.34.09 PM.jpg

attachment.php

2:12 Forsyth Park, some big trees damaged, but looking pretty good.

2:25 Stay put, reporting from Sav., Em crews cutting pathways for more crews to get through, aerial assessment, only 12 hours after brunt, so live power lines, trees down, active scenes (East Broad St & Henry) STAY PUTCutting paths.jpg

attachment.php

2:30 Check the stations FB page for the most current alerts and info, working great for emergency situation. Reporter have uploaded their survey of damages as they move around with First Responder crews, from Hilton Head, and other places. 2:58

2:38 Memorable report from President Street, reporter saw and helped homeless who waded through water from under the bridge, helped them with blankets and supplies with some student volunteers. Abandoned car in the water there. And witnessed plasma light effects.

2:47 Crews hard at work on bridges and roads. I16 inbound is closed. Reporting crew working to reach various neighborhoods as crews make progress.

2:55 Tybee hit with the strongest recorded wind, before storm knocked things offline, of 94 mph winds. Tracking out to Atlantic Ocean off NC coast, being downgraded tomorrow morning to tropical storm. Though sun is coming out, STAY PUT

Lots of rain and wind here in NC now. Worst case scenario is we might lose power, but otherwise it's not as bad as what some of our southern states experienced.

But just in case we picked up some extra food yesterday, prepped the generator in case I need to drag it out of the shed, charged all of our power banks up, and got the flashlights and batteries ready.

In fact I think we'd run out of food before batteries...I probably have enough batteries laying around to make it through anything. [emoji6]

3:11 Reporting from Tybee, Butler. A siding and roof ripped off a hotel and crashed across a parking lot, with lots of scattered debris and AC units into a front gate, the worst damage seen in downtown so far. Damage Bulter.jpg

~ (previous report, from President Street and Plasma light effects Pres Street.jpg http://wsav.com/live-stream/ Screenshot 2016-10-08 at 3.50.23 PM.jpg

~ 3:24 A report from Whitmarch, right before the Spence Grayson Bridge Screenshot 2016-10-08 at 3.24.26 PM.jpg

~ 3:35 River St., where the white caps were coming over the sea wall last night, and where the water "licked the step" near the businesses, none were flooded.Screenshot 2016-10-08 at 3.35.03 PM.jpg Silver lining, nobody was hurt in the immediate community, grateful, having toughed it out on River Street. STAY PUT

~ 3:41 Richmond Hill closed off to all but Em Crews, LE on site assessing

~ Point South Residents boil water. Mayor Announcements on site, with instructions

~ 3:50 THREE DEATHS reported by LE, checking on a home damaged by a fallen tree, one male, Wiley Ave and Dolan Drive. One more death, reported by LE in Bullock County (Clay & Macedonia), a tree on a house, and another death on Burkhalter? Rd, tree on a car, possibly from last night, not sure.

Thousand of trees down in the Hilton Head area and beyond. BE PATIENT AND PLEASE STAY PUT

attachment.php

attachment.php

3:11 Reporting from Tybee, Butler. A roof ripped off a hotel and crashed across a parking lot with AC units and into a gate, the worst damage downtown so far.
Thank you so much for your updates!! Very helpful!!

Local news their wording "most powerful storm to hit USA since Katrina"I state it that way cause I think Katrina, hurricane wise was , not the monster she was made out to be. At the end of the day New Orleans flooded cause the AMry core Of Engineers, took payoffs, falsified documentation, were not building what they were doucmenting. Tons of fraud. She was a cat 3 when she hit New orleans. Nothing happened at landfall that was singifgant . If you go look at coverage, after she passed through the headline was looks like New Orleans dodged the bullet. Hours later the levees not built to standards or specs failed. There was signifgant time passage - Katrina was long gone before they started to collapse.making its second landfall as a Category 3 hurricane on August 29 in southeast Louisiana.WIki

Yes, Katrina most certainly was a monster. The Mississippi coast was leveled. As close to being totally destroyed as it's possible to get. I grew up there (although I haven't lived there in many decades) and I followed the storm very closely. I went back not long ago for the first time since Katrina and was shocked at how many empty lots there still are along Highway 90 from east to west across the coast. That's about a 22 mile stretch that makes up the beachfront. Nothing left from my childhood along the entire length of the beach -- except for almost-destroyed Beauvoir (home of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy) and the Biloxi lighthouse. Beauvoir has survived every hurricane thrown at it for over 150 years but Katrina almost got it. Google Katrina damage other than N.O. There's plenty of it.

The Mississippi coast was, for the most part, ignored by the media. Didn't fit their agenda, would be my guess.

I am not near the hurricane's impact at all, but motels are filling up in surrounding counties (no motels in my county). We do have friends and acquaintances who live in affected states, so I've appreciated the updates by my fellow WSers. My heart, and prayers, goes out to all who have been affected by this storm, here in the U.S., as well as Haiti, Cuba, the Bahamas, and any other area he's left his mark. Glad ya'll have made it safely through.

Fifty miles inland we had great winds and rain. Lots of limbs down but early this morning got my yard and my Mom's down the street mowed and raked. Limbs cut for pickup on Monday. Also cleaned and mowed half the park in front of our cul de sac. A neighbor got the other half. Across from Mom's house a tree, roots and all, fell in a front yard. Huge...Guess the ground got so soft from the rain that the winds just pulled it over. Worst part was no electricity, but it just came back on. And I know we're some of the lucky ones.
Was sad to read that a woman in the next county over was killed when a tree struck the camper she was staying in with a man who managed to get out with minor injuries. I sure wish they'd gone to a shelter. Trees fall so easily here. Prayers for them all and their loved ones.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/putnam-county-woman-dies-when-tree-falls-in-trailer

300 reported dead in Haiti! That makes me so angry. With all of the money raised over the years, I was dismayed to see people living in tents made from blankets. There are no trees to hold ground from erosion due to the wood being used for cooking and staying warm. Why can't people donate cargo containers and turn them into tiny homes? They are hurricane safe and make excellent dwellings. I looked into one for converting into a vacation home. I'm livid. I have many friends who have donated medical supplies and time in order to help with vaccines, procedures and medical care. There needs to be a huge movement to help these people. Agriculture, clean water... It can be done. Sad that I'm not a rich philanthropist or I'd get the ball rolling.
Glad to see that otto made it home safely and now looking for our Jax friends and praying for all in Georgia and the Carolina's. Stay in and safe.

Yes, Katrina most certainly was a monster. The Mississippi coast was leveled. As close to being totally destroyed as it's possible to get. I grew up there (although I haven't lived there in many decades) and I followed the storm very closely. I went back not long ago for the first time since Katrina and was shocked at how many empty lots there still are along Highway 90 from east to west across the coast. That's about a 22 mile stretch that makes up the beachfront. Nothing left from my childhood along the entire length of the beach -- except for almost-destroyed Beauvoir (home of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy) and the Biloxi lighthouse. Beauvoir has survived every hurricane thrown at it for over 150 years but Katrina almost got it. Google Katrina damage other than N.O. There's plenty of it.

The Mississippi coast was, for the most part, ignored by the media. Didn't fit their agenda, would be my guess.

BBM
I tend to agree. I worked for a non-profit, and they allowed us to volunteer our time, and the np has a disaster relief segment as well, so they sent down supply trucks. We stayed at a church, that had been spared, in Biloxi, and handed out supplies there, as well as taking them out to local groups that were trying to help the communites. It was a few weeks before we could actually go volunteer as there had to be roads cleared and places for us to stay had to be found. I remember, as we got close, I was stunned at how far inland that the water had come. In places, it looked like a massive bulldozer had just pushed all of the homes off of their foundations and into a pile, in other places, it was as if there'd never been anything there at all! Pass Christian was just flattened. Over 130 people died in Mississippi. To this day, most folks do not realize how bad Katrina really was for those living in Mississippi.

Fifty miles inland we had great winds and rain. Lots of limbs down but early this morning got my yard and my Mom's down the street mowed and raked. Limbs cut for pickup on Monday. Also cleaned and mowed half the park in front of our cul de sac. A neighbor got the other half. Across the from Mom's house a tree, roots and all, fell in a front yard. Huge...Guess the ground got so soft from the rain that the winds just pulled it over. Worst part was no electricity, but it just came back on. And I know we're some of the lucky ones.
Was sad to read that a woman in the next county over was killed when a tree struck the camper she was staying in with a man who managed to get out with minor injuries. I sure wish they'd gone to a shelter. Trees fall so easily here. Prayers for them all and their loved ones.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/putnam-county-woman-dies-when-tree-falls-in-trailer

300 reported dead in Haiti! That makes me so angry. With all of the money raised over the years, I was dismayed to see people living in tents made from blankets. There are no trees to hold ground from erosion due to the wood being used for cooking and staying warm. Why can't people donate cargo containers and turn them into tiny homes? They are hurricane safe and make excellent dwellings. I looked into one for converting into a vacation home. I'm livid. I have many friends who have donated medical supplies and time in order to help with vaccines, procedures and medical care. There needs to be a huge movement to help these people. Agriculture, clean water... It can be done. Sad that I'm not a rich philanthropist or I'd get the ball rolling.
Glad to see that otto made it home safely and now looking for our Jax friends and praying for all in Georgia and the Carolina's. Stay in and safe.

BBM
I am not defending either way what has or has not been done in Haiti. Some of the major charities have donated a lot of money to smaller organizations who most likely, were quite simply overwhelmed. It takes a very, very, organized team, to go in and rebuild a devastated region, that literally had nothing to begin with. Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas, most Haitians earn less than $1,000 per year, and their government has been in a weekend state for decades. To rebuild Haiti would be to rebuild it from something that it never was. There was little there before the earthquake in terms of water, sewage, roadways, etc... so most of the monies, although it was sent, and used, I'd say, with good intentions, went to band-aid fixes, medical treatment, temporary shelters, etc... However, it would probably have been more beneficial to have just given each Haitian household , affected by the earthquake, $10k, of the donated monies, and let the Haitian people bring about their own change, and actually build a new Haiti, rather than outsiders try and re-build what Haiti had, which was little. I don't mean to sound so technical about the situation, it is a very sad one, and I feel much sorrow for the Haitian people's plight, but, from someone who's worked in the non-profit world, it takes a lot to rebuild disaster-struck communities, rebuilding a country, from scratch, is just mind boggling.

Checking to see if anyone has heard from Jaxgirl49 and 3kgirlsmommy. They may not have power yet, but they were in the path of the storm so I hope they're ok.

Hurricane’s blow was less than feared; ‘We are blessed’
Storm made landfall near McClellanville, S.C., causing serious flooding
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS via DENVER POST

Oct 8 16, 3:04 pm
replete with more details

[...]

"at least 10 deaths in the U.S., including that of a 68-year-old Georgia man who died when two trees fell on his home. And hundreds were left dead in Matthew’s wake in Haiti.

[...]

On Saturday, Matthew sideswiped two of the South’s oldest and most historic cities — Savannah, Georgia, and Charleston, South Carolina — and also brought torrential rain and stiff wind to places like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and Wilmington, North Carolina.

[...]

Its storm center, or eye, finally blew ashore just north of Charleston on Saturday, but only briefly. And by that time, Matthew was just barely a hurricane, with winds of just 75 mph.

[...]

It was a major hurricane — that is, with winds of at least 110 mph — for 7.25 days.

[...]

The storm swamped the streets of Savannah, a historic town of moss-draped squares and antebellum mansions. A homeless woman was seen staggering through waters up to her neck. She made it across safely.

[...]

Tybee Island also took a beating, with gusts clocked at 93 mph.

[...]

Four deaths were blamed on the storm in Florida, three in Georgia and three in North Carolina. The deaths included an elderly Florida couple who died from carbon monoxide fumes while running a generator in their garage and two women who were killed when trees fell on a home and a camper.

[...]

CoreLogic projected the storm would cause $4 billion to $6 billion in insured losses on home and commercial properties. That compares with Hurricane Katrina’s $40 billion and Superstorm Sandy’s $20 billion."

Associated Press writers Holbrook Mohr in Orlando, Florida; Gary Fineout in Tallahassee, Florida; Kelli Kennedy and Terry Spencer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Jennifer Kay, Freida Frisaro and Curt Anderson in Miami; Marcia Dunn in Cape Canaveral, Florida; Janelle Cogan in Orlando, Florida; Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia; Martha Waggoner in Raleigh, North Carolina; Jeffrey Collins on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina; Jack Jones and Meg Kinnard in Columbia, South Carolina; and Bruce Smith in Charleston, South Carolina, contributed to this report.

~

Live PC's link below too
ABC NEWS 4 LIVE UPDATES:
Hurricane Matthew makes landfall south of McClellanville
Screenshot 2016-10-08 at 5.54.32 PM.jpg

BBM
I tend to agree. I worked for a non-profit, and they allowed us to volunteer our time, and the np has a disaster relief segment as well, so they sent down supply trucks. We stayed at a church, that had been spared, in Biloxi, and handed out supplies there, as well as taking them out to local groups that were trying to help the communites. It was a few weeks before we could actually go volunteer as there had to be roads cleared and places for us to stay had to be found. I remember, as we got close, I was stunned at how far inland that the water had come. In places, it looked like a massive bulldozer had just pushed all of the homes off of their foundations and into a pile, in other places, it was as if there'd never been anything there at all! Pass Christian was just flattened. Over 130 people died in Mississippi. To this day, most folks do not realize how bad Katrina really was for those living in Mississippi.

Thankfully, Matthew was nothing like Katrina. That's what made me continue my education. I was a full time Mom who'd majored in accounting. I felt so helpless during the aftermath of Katrina that it spurred me to do something to help if there ever was another disaster. I was notified by the local emergency response team during Matthew because I always check the box that I'd be willing to help during emergencies when I renew my nursing license, but thankfully wasn't needed.

Glad to see PositiveLight is here and safe. :wave:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c728