The enhanced 911 ending

I suggest that BR was on the landing at the top of the spiral staircase or on the staircase so not literally in the kitchen.

I distinctly heard JR say "we're not speaking to you."

I heard PR say "How could you do this? Help me Jesus!"

I heard BR say "what DID you. . "

I think there may be more to the end of 911 recording than what has been released to us and is where PR can be heard saying "okay, we've called the police, now what?" as Kim stated that she clearly heard and which has haunted her for 20 years. I found Kim to be believable, she has no dog in this show.

TeaTime, I liked SuperDave's suggestion that the recording may have stopped before Patsy made the quote about calling the police more than the idea that there's an actual existing recording of it just because I think if it had been recorded, surely that would have leaked. It's way more incriminating than the speculated convo we do have. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a little something was held back as far as the recording goes.

I'm skeptical that Kim actually heard those words. I don't think she's lying, I just think she's misremembering. It's been 20 years and it was 5 seconds of hard to hear dialogue heard under stress. I'd be interested to know how closely she's followed the case since then and exactly what she knows about the end of the tape and the enhancement. Her statement suggests to me she isn't familiar with the Aerospace transcript, which imo is good because it indicates her recollections aren't influenced by it. If that really was what she thought she heard (and I doubt the audio she heard was super great, so she may not have heard exactly what was said), then I can see that line getting stuck in her mind for 20 years. Obviously there was a lot of hinky stuff going on in the call that gave her an overall bad feeling and that could also feed into what she thought she heard.
On the other hand, maybe she did hear it. What is said on the enhancement is still debatable.

What I'd like to know is, what was she typing? We hear the keys, obviously she's writing something. Don't 911 operators take notes on the calls? If the notes exist (or existed), has anyone seen them and what was in them? Doubt we'll ever know but that intrigues me.

Droll, would a paper report have been generated from the call? I really don't know if that is standard procedure. Hmmm. One would think that if a paper report could be generated, that LE knew it and could have obtained it. Did they? We don't know. I am interested in just which "investigator" talked to her and told her that she was under a gag order to not speak about what she heard and find it odd that she wasn't called to give a statement, under oath, or to testify at the GJ. Maybe is is all above board and she had nothing to offer in furtherance of the investigation. Why would the recording stop before the line was disconnected?

I think PR got off the phone quickly because: 1) Burke was nearby and needed to be dealt with and hustled back to bed; and 2) she had to call her friends to hurry over. She stopped talking or listening to Kim as she walked back to the phone receiver.

I can't hear typing and think that the static is from PR holding something over the microphone end of the telephone, or holding it against herself as she walks back to hang it up.

TeaTime, I liked SuperDave's suggestion that the recording may have stopped before Patsy made the quote about calling the police more than the idea that there's an actual existing recording of it just because I think if it had been recorded, surely that would have leaked. It's way more incriminating than the speculated convo we do have. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a little something was held back as far as the recording goes.

Actually, LisaB and johnjay came up with it. Credit where it's due.

That's what I was wondering about, if there was a paper report on the call. I'm sure notes are taken, at least. A quick google turned up this case where notes from the 911 call made by the dispatcher were released/used in court, but I don't know if that's usual. http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/investigations/documents-in-bever-case-released
And looking at the wiki page that comes up when I searched about 911 operators (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_dispatch), they describe a kind of summary for each call being typed as it's heard. Surely if one existed the police would have had it, though.

Why would the recording stop before the line was disconnected? I don't think it's likely, really, it was just the only way I could see her hearing that line and it not showing up on the tape. I think either she misheard or we are. I just went back to watch that part of the show again trying to hear those words. I could see "We're not speaking to you" (or whatever it is) sounding like "Now what do we do?" Hmm. And then there's the line they think sounds like, "Help me, Jesus, what did you do?" which also could sound like, "We called the police, now what do we do?" I realize that's not exactly what she said but it's pretty close.

As for the typing, I do hear intermittent typing throughout the call. In the end it's mostly static but after "We're not speaking to you" I hear some typing around the same time Patsy starts saying "Help me, Jesus." I put in headphones this time and it sounds even more like her voice than before.

Another thing I noticed was Kim's reaction when she listens to the end of the call. Her eyes widen when Patsy's "Help me, Jesus" starts, she was obviously remembering something/taken aback. And I would also love to know more about the investigator and the gag order. Wasn't it Kolar's book (and probably Thomas's too) that described the Ramsey lawyers' investigators going around to witnesses and talking to them before the police even got to them, if possible, tainting their testimony/making them reluctant to speak? I wouldn't put it past any of them to tell Kim she was under a gag order. And not being called in front of the GJ, maybe it isn't usual for 911 operators to testify in this capacity (I don't know), but what was on the 911 call was obviously a topic of discussion (at least when it came to Burke's questioning), so it would be relevant. Obviously SOMEONE knew her testimony was important enough to take to court and wanted to protect it - or prevent her from sharing it. Weird.

My thinking is that Patsy, now that the 911 call is out of the way and she's been told police are coming, hangs up because she has to call over the Fernies and the Whites before the cops get there since surely they'd prevent her from calling a bunch of people over if she made the call after they arrived. Perhaps instead of hanging up the phone, she presses the receiver against her shirt and puts her finger on the button to end the call, but doesn't press hard enough to actually disconnect. Or she puts the phone back in the cradle but doesn't press it down all the way, keeping her hand on the receiver because she's going to pick it up in a moment and call the Fernies. Either way, she is only pausing briefly between calls and chants "Help me, Jesus" to prepare herself for the next one, and John and Burke happen to be talking in the background.

While I was looking in the Ramsey book for something else, I ran across the following passage. It just struck me as so laughable now in light of what the CBS special was able to show about the 911 call. From DOI, enjoy:

BY NOW ANYONE WHO KNOWS John and me will agree that if there’s anything we avoid, it’s the tabloids. When I pass the magazine rack in the grocery store, I literally try to look the other way. Unfortunately, the tabloids certainly don’t go out of their way to avoid the Ramseys. One of their most creatively written stories came out in August, claiming that they had obtained a copy of the taped conversation when I called 911 early in the morning of December 26, 1996, asking the police to come at once to our house. The tabloids had come up with a new twist.

The National Enquirer ran a story saying that our telephone had not been hung up properly and the police had heard additional voices on the 911 tape. The tape, the story said, had been enhanced technologically to produce a message, which supposedly occurred in the hallway area near the kitchen, just after I “thought” I hung up the telephone. According to unnamed sources, the Enquirer claimed that you could now hear Burke on the tape saying, “Please, what do I do?” and John replying, “We’re not speaking to you.” Obviously, if this were true, then John and I had been inaccurate when we testified that we had not awakened Burke or talked with him until later in the morning. Their scenario ran along the lines that we couldn’t have possibly forgotten such an important conversation. Therefore, the enhanced tapes would represent a major flaw in our explanations. We must have done something we were trying to cover up.

John and I saw the story as another one of those crazy accounts the tabloids kept running on us. We knew it was probably a police leak that in time would be viewed as misinformation. As a matter of fact, an accurate account was later published in Newsweek. The magazine reported that some of the people who had heard the tape—the police—thought they heard Burke’s voice, while others said no conversation was heard, even after the tape was enhanced in the lab. Why would the police have had to enhance the tape if the wall phone was off the hook? we wondered.

What makes this account even more ludicrous is the fact that after having written the above account, the Ramseys did a sit down interview with the very same tabloid (NE) as part of a lawsuit settlement. Patsy even brought cookies:lol:. But in that interview, the Ramseys admitted that Burke was awake, then they denied it, and then after they left (and probably called Woody) they called back and changed their story again.:floorlaugh:

While I was looking in the Ramsey book for something else, I ran across the following passage. It just struck me as so laughable now in light of what the CBS special was able to show about the 911 call. From DOI, enjoy:

BY NOW ANYONE WHO KNOWS John and me will agree that if there’s anything we avoid, it’s the tabloids. When I pass the magazine rack in the grocery store, I literally try to look the other way. Unfortunately, the tabloids certainly don’t go out of their way to avoid the Ramseys. One of their most creatively written stories came out in August, claiming that they had obtained a copy of the taped conversation when I called 911 early in the morning of December 26, 1996, asking the police to come at once to our house. The tabloids had come up with a new twist.

The National Enquirer ran a story saying that our telephone had not been hung up properly and the police had heard additional voices on the 911 tape. The tape, the story said, had been enhanced technologically to produce a message, which supposedly occurred in the hallway area near the kitchen, just after I “thought” I hung up the telephone. According to unnamed sources, the Enquirer claimed that you could now hear Burke on the tape saying, “Please, what do I do?” and John replying, “We’re not speaking to you.” Obviously, if this were true, then John and I had been inaccurate when we testified that we had not awakened Burke or talked with him until later in the morning. Their scenario ran along the lines that we couldn’t have possibly forgotten such an important conversation. Therefore, the enhanced tapes would represent a major flaw in our explanations. We must have done something we were trying to cover up.

John and I saw the story as another one of those crazy accounts the tabloids kept running on us. We knew it was probably a police leak that in time would be viewed as misinformation. As a matter of fact, an accurate account was later published in Newsweek. The magazine reported that some of the people who had heard the tape—the police—thought they heard Burke’s voice, while others said no conversation was heard, even after the tape was enhanced in the lab. Why would the police have had to enhance the tape if the wall phone was off the hook? we wondered.

What makes this account even more ludicrous is the fact that after having written the above account, the Ramseys did a sit down interview with the very same tabloid (NE) as part of a lawsuit settlement. Patsy even brought cookies:lol:. But in that interview, the Ramseys admitted that Burke was awake, then they denied it, and then after they left (and probably called Woody) they called back and changed their story again.:floorlaugh:

It may strike funny, but here's a serious question: now that the Ramseys are proven liars, shouldn't they have to give back all the money they made from settlements?

It may strike funny, but here's a serious question: now that the Ramseys are proven liars, shouldn't they have to give back all the money they made from settlements?

I've been so busy thinking about all the money they would owe the people of Boulder, and perhaps the Whites, that I didn't even think about the settlements. It would be just delicious if Lin Wood had to repay any ill-gotten gains as well.

I've been so busy thinking about all the money they would owe the people of Boulder, and perhaps the Whites, that I didn't even think about the settlements. It would be just delicious if Lin Wood had to repay any ill-gotten gains as well.

Wishful thinking, I'm sure. Well, a guy can hope, can he not?

IMO, there are 3 voices on that tape. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this therefore means they lied. Why did they lie? That's now the question I am wondering the answer to but I am strongly in the BDI camp, even more than I was before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just for the fact the 911 Operator heard people talking after PR thought she hung up the phone was good enough for me. The audio enhancement was just icing on the cake!

I agree that they SHOULD have to give it back. Unfortunately (and I'm sure you know this SD -- I'm stating it for those who don't), those settlements were mutually agreed upon and approved by a judge to keep the lawsuit from proceeding to court -- usually with no admission of guilt or wrongdoing. IOW, both parties agreed to shake hands (one of the two parties with a little money tucked away in his palm) and forget about going forward to court.

I agree that they SHOULD have to give it back. Unfortunately (and I'm sure you know this SD -- I'm stating it for those who don't), those settlements were mutually agreed upon and approved by a judge to keep the lawsuit from proceeding to court -- usually with no admission of guilt or wrongdoing. IOW, both parties agreed to shake hands (one of the two parties with a little money tucked away in his palm) and forget about going forward to court.

Like I said, there's what SHOULD happen and what DOES happen. Story of this case in a nutshell.

But why BDI if he asked "what did you find" and she asked him "what did you do" as the phone call was AFTER the staging? This would have been hours after they knew he did it and he knew that they knew?

Brand new member here but have been following the case for many years now. I joined mainly to ask this..has it ever been considered that Patsy did not hang up the call herself? I know it has been taken at face value that John asked Patsy to call 911. However, the hanging up during the call always struck me as strange. And even moreso with the conversation I can hear afterwards (I cannot make out all of what Patsy says but I definitely hear a 'what did you do'). I am probably not putting this across well...stick with me please. Is it at all possible in anyone elses opinion, that it was actually John who 'hung up' the phone? This could explain the 'what did you do' from Patsy..it does not have to be directed at Burke. It could also help explain why the phone did not hang up correctly, if for example..it was hung up just by pressing the button on it rather than the receiver being put back onto it.

That's not how lawsuit settlements work, unfortunately.

That's an interesting suggestion, Chloe. I suppose it is possible that John pushed the button without Patsy being aware. Why do you think he would do that? The only scenario I can come up with is that he saw Burke coming and didn't want him to say anything that could be heard on the call or didn't want Burke to hear the call. I still favor my theory that she hung up as soon as she heard police were coming because she needed to call the Fernies and the Whites, but John doing it is definitely not something I considered before now. He does at least seem to be pretty close to the phone considering how easy he is to hear on the tape, even unenhanced.

Anyway, I was listening to Jim C and Laura's first podcast about the making of The Case Of and they had a few more interesting tidbits about Kim Archuleta. This starts about 13:50 mins in. First, they mention that she was an investigator (for the DA's office or the health department, Jim couldn't remember) for ten years before becoming a 911 operator. Kim told them that the night she took the call, she couldn't sleep. She was comparing it to other calls she had taken in her career and it just seemed wrong. Jim says he was struck by the fact that Kim had an excellent memory; she remembered the other calls she had taken that day before Patsy's even with details such as what crime was committed and who was arrested as a result of the call! They were asking her about the context the call happened in, how busy it was/what the shift was like that day. Geez, she remembers more about that morning than the Ramseys (will admit they) do! Laura mentions that no one in the original investigation ever took a statement from Kim. The producer asks if it's normal for a statement to be taken from the 911 operator and Jim says yes, especially if the operator is saying they heard additional information at the end of the tape. Instead of the police talking to her, she's approached by a mysterious "investigator" who tells her to keep quiet. Too bizarre.

That's an interesting suggestion, Chloe. I suppose it is possible that John pushed the button without Patsy being aware. Why do you think he would do that? The only scenario I can come up with is that he saw Burke coming and didn't want him to say anything that could be heard on the call or didn't want Burke to hear the call. I still favor my theory that she hung up as soon as she heard police were coming because she needed to call the Fernies and the Whites, but John doing it is definitely not something I considered before now. He does at least seem to be pretty close to the phone considering how easy he is to hear on the tape, even unenhanced.

Anyway, I was listening to Jim C and Laura's first podcast about the making of The Case Of and they had a few more interesting tidbits about Kim Archuleta. This starts about 13:50 mins in. First, they mention that she was an investigator (for the DA's office or the health department, Jim couldn't remember) for ten years before becoming a 911 operator. Kim told them that the night she took the call, she couldn't sleep. She was comparing it to other calls she had taken in her career and it just seemed wrong. Jim says he was struck by the fact that Kim had an excellent memory; she remembered the other calls she had taken that day before Patsy's even with details such as what crime was committed and who was arrested as a result of the call! They were asking her about the context the call happened in, how busy it was/what the shift was like that day. Geez, she remembers more about that morning than the Ramseys (will admit they) do! Laura mentions that no one in the original investigation ever took a statement from Kim. The producer asks if it's normal for a statement to be taken from the 911 operator and Jim says yes, especially if the operator is saying they heard additional information at the end of the tape. Instead of the police talking to her, she's approached by a mysterious "investigator" who tells her to keep quiet. Too bizarre.

I don't know. The only way I can get it to make sense makes other stuff not make sense..I was thinking along the lines of John didn't know Patsy was going to call the police (yet), crossed lines somewhere along the way. That could also go towards explaining why the body wasn't removed from the house...I have always thought the plan was to actually remove the body..just circumstances meant it happened the way it did. I can't find any way of making even the slightest bit of sense of staging a kidnapping but leaving the body in the house to be found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dressie
Back