GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The wretch, concentrated all in self
Living, shall forfeit fair renown
And doubly dying shall go down
From the vile dust from whence he sprung
Unwept, unhonoured and unsung"

Thanks for the noble lines of Scott, Florrie.

I don't believe SRF that IS acknowledges the things he said he does. Sorry, I think it's complete hogwash. He did not plead guilty, he has not apologised or made an admission (if he did it should be attested to) and that shouldn't be allowed. It won't be taken into consideration for sentencing but it's outrageous nevertheless.

SRF show some decency please.

I echo the comments of Tortoise, TheRisenBishop and others. We are euphoric at this long-awaited guilty verdict, that delivers justice at last for Helen, Boris, their family and everyone who loved them. But inevitably we experience a feeling of anti-climax, as the awful truth hits us again that they are gone, never to return.

I recognise as many have said, that there are no winners and that many people's lives have been blighted by IS. But today I will focus my sympathies and prayers on Helen's family and friends. When she met IS, a poison entered her life that would spell her destruction. For me, he and everything that surrounded him and their entirely false life in Royston, represents the wrong turning that spelled her doom.

Her own family are uncontaminated in this respect. As is Highgate, the place she was happiest for many years with her beloved husband JS. I think in due course it would be wonderful if some kind of memorial was placed in Highgate for Helen and Boris, that is surely the place where their spirits will return. I imagine them together in Waterlow Park where I often walked with Dolly-Dog, the wind in their hair and a spring in their step. I lived in Highgate for twenty years and I still visit often. I will always hold a good thought for Helen and Boris when I go there, as I do for a dear friend who also lived in Highgate and who by coincidence also died in April of last year, far too young leaving behind many broken hearts.

And so the next step comes tomorrow, when Judge Bright spells out the wickedness of this man, the cold, premeditated nature of the murder and all the aggravating features that will surely spell a very long prison sentence.

Then Ian Stewart will be sent down, to disappear from public view forever and be forgotten like the insignificant waste of oxygen he is.

Meanwhile Helen and Boris, those beautiful trusting souls who gave so much to this world, will be forever remembered with love and affection and carried safe in the hearts of those who loved them.

I do love your writing Dolly. I know you are a writer. It wouldn't surprise me if you were a famous author and not telling us lol.

So he's definitely thrown one of his tantrums then. No wonder his son wouldn't look at him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would bet it's not the first tantrum his son has ever witnessed. I bet he's been manipulating people all his life.

He's finally had all power removed so he's thrown teddy from the pram and is sulking.

I seem to recall Harold Shipman sitting with his back to a detective rather than face him and listen to statements and questions. Ian Stewart appears to be showing a similar attitude.

If he could put his fingers in his ears and sing "la la la can't hear you " tomorrow he would.

I hope he is dragged into whatever room the video link has been set up in and is made to listen.

I think he will have to actually show his face on the video link. He really is showing his true colours now though.

Cheaper for the taxpayer though I suppose.

What category prisoner would IS be? I assumed Category A as a murderer but I don't know if it's that clear cut. Bedford is Category B but he's only been on remand there.

appreciate most have already seen this ( sky) but there's not much else out there except The Sun!

[video=youtube;GqzrZIx8SyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqzrZIx8SyM[/video]

Hi All,
Got to court early today – was actually the first person outside the court room and I`m * never * early for anything! I had a very strong feeling that the verdict would be returned this morning for the simple reason that it was pretty much a cut and dried case but the jury needed a short time to discuss and confirm between them, and also to be seen to give an acceptable amount of time for consideration.
The court room was full as you can imagine. Very, very kindly the Judge and court clerk brought in quite a few more chairs in order to accommodate everyone who wanted to witness justice being done. I thought that was so considerate because they didn`t need to do this.
I sat throughout watching IS`s face. He blinked more rapidly as the jury were ushered in. He shook his head twice, just very slightly as the guilty verdicts came thick and fast. One was at the guilty of fraud verdict – can`t remember the other time.
I think you are aware that O could simply not be present in the court as the verdict was delivered. As IS was led away, he looked at Jamie. Jamie stared in the other direction.
John is aware of all the many, many people, who were waiting and holding their breath, alongside him, waiting for justice for Helen.
There were tears outside afterwards. As expected huge emotions.
As someone on here said – bitter-sweet! Of course we got the verdict we were praying for, but I feel sad, drained and bereft, as I know we all do.
I wonder if someone would be kind enough to post links to anything out there in the media that I obviously will have missed. I am expecting some discussions on the radio tomorrow surrounding the issues raised from this shocking case e.g. LBC
Michelle
P.S. On a side note – I asked Mr T. re: costs when a person is found guilty, as we had discussed on here. Surprising answer – he said it is between the convicted person and legal aid! It is not automatic even if they have the means to pay!

I don't believe SRF that IS acknowledges the things he said he does. Sorry, I think it's complete hogwash. He did not plead guilty, he has not apologised or made an admission (if he did it should be attested to) and that shouldn't be allowed. It won't be taken into consideration for sentencing but it's outrageous nevertheless.

SRF show some decency please.

From all the trials I have followed, I have to say SRF does not work for me as a good Counsel.
Other Defence Counsel manage to defend their very obviously guilty client with a measure of dignity and even handedness.
I see none of this from SRF. Quite why he has that blurb about Juries love him is beyond me.

appreciate most have already seen this ( sky) but there's not much else out there except The Sun!

[video=youtube;GqzrZIx8SyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqzrZIx8SyM[/video]

Ugh, life coach woman. (My scapegoat, I know).

I still think her money was secondary to his need to destroy her but all that is pretty moot now. Once the sentencing is done I will try to consign him to my mental cesspit.

I think he will have to actually show his face on the video link. He really is showing his true colours now though.

Cheaper for the taxpayer though I suppose.

What category prisoner would IS be? I assumed Category A as a murderer but I don't know if it's that clear cut. Bedford is Category B but he's only been on remand there.

He will have to show his face on the link and he will be able to see people in the court. Although he may do a Nathan ( Becky Watts trial ) and try to get the screen moved so he cant see anyone !

I think he will stay in Category B. A is for violent prisoners and those likely to escape and be a danger to the public.

Hi All,
Got to court early today – was actually the first person outside the court room and I`m * never * early for anything! I had a very strong feeling that the verdict would be returned this morning for the simple reason that it was pretty much a cut and dried case but the jury needed a short time to discuss and confirm between them, and also to be seen to give an acceptable amount of time for consideration.
The court room was full as you can imagine. Very, very kindly the Judge and court clerk brought in quite a few more chairs in order to accommodate everyone who wanted to witness justice being done. I thought that was so considerate because they didn`t need to do this.
I sat throughout watching IS`s face. He blinked more rapidly as the jury were ushered in. He shook his head twice, just very slightly as the guilty verdicts came thick and fast. One was at the guilty of fraud verdict – can`t remember the other time.
I think you are aware that O could simply not be present in the court as the verdict was delivered. As IS was led away, he looked at Jamie. Jamie stared in the other direction.
John is aware of all the many, many people, who were waiting and holding their breath, alongside him, waiting for justice for Helen.
There were tears outside afterwards. As expected huge emotions.
As someone on here said – bitter-sweet! Of course we got the verdict we were praying for, but I feel sad, drained and bereft, as I know we all do.
I wonder if someone would be kind enough to post links to anything out there in the media that I obviously will have missed. I am expecting some discussions on the radio tomorrow surrounding the issues raised from this shocking case e.g. LBC
Michelle
P.S. On a side note – I asked Mr T. re: costs when a person is found guilty, as we had discussed on here. Surprising answer – he said it is between the convicted person and legal aid! It is not automatic even if they have the means to pay!

Thank you Michelle, I feel hugely sorry for his sons in all this. I know they are adults now but still relatively young adults who might need and want an older adult around to help at times. Thankfully Diane's family can probably offer that support.

I was very touched by the words of John Bailey who acknowledged that it wasn't just his family who had been affected. Such grace at a difficult time.

I am not surprised you are exhausted.

Snipped from your post Michelle

I think you are aware that O could simply not be present in the court as the verdict was delivered.

I did not know that. I had wondered why all the reports said IS looked at Jamie and did not mention Oliver. Now I understand.

Sorry, I've just been thinking about why I'm defending this and I think I can't bear to think of one more person profiting or showboating about anything to do with this. I'm really, really trying to believe in the good in people. Because I can't stand to think someone else that Helen trusted and liked is letting her down.
My arguments about your posts aren't directed at you, they're expressions of hope that Helen hasn't been let down again xx

We haven't got the luxury of context but we know Helen was so very happy because her happiness at finding 'him' shone through so strongly in her writing, she made her book about being widowed about him, that's quite some accolade. We can only imagine how she spoke about him to her friend and confidant but I bet it was always with love and excitement about the future.

I think whether friend, coach or counsellor you only ever get out what you put in. If Helen only ever showed love for him and appeared happy and excited about their future then there would be no need for alarm bells.

*Unless of course she still believes that he has a great way with words, in that case ... off with her head!

Two finance related pieces of info in this article. He was treasurer of the bowls club and was famously tight with money!
Stewart was a keen bowls player and was a treasurer at the Bassingbourn Bowls Club in Royston for a number of years.
Despite his commitment to the club, Stewart was famously tight with his money and once refused to contribute just £10 to help buy a new water tank.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]The tight git! [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]He'll have to get used to sharing in the big house, he'll be someone's ***** in no time. [/FONT]

[/FONT]

Michelle how do you know O could not be at the court for the verdict?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I think he will stay in Category B. A is for violent prisoners and those likely to escape and be a danger to the public.

I have to admit I laughed out loud at the image of Big Bean being a danger to society. Although in the early days of his evidence it did seem that he might be capable of boring large groups of people to death...

She wasn't a professional - therefore, no code of conduct existed.

I'd also say, given her comments and advice that we know of, she ought to find another vocation or at least educate herself in her chosen one! Utterly disgraceful conduct.

I totally agree. When I saw this woman on the TV news today (one of the first people to give an interview), she was described as 'a friend' of Helen's. I had no idea she was the 'therapist' who had encouraged Helen to date IS, with the suggestion that if she didn't snap him up, in a year's time another woman could have! No one is suggesting she could have known IS was a dangerous psychopath but Helen's bereavement was very recent and if advice was to be given, it should have been not to rush into a new relationship. This woman must have known Helen was wealthy and that made her even more vulnerable to exploitation.

So that useless great lump refused to appear for his lawyer's sentencing plea this afternoon? Sulking because the nasty jury didn't believe his BS 'in any way'? Does anyone think he will turn up for sentencing tomorrow morning? Anyone? Nope, me either! Rather short sighted of him - after all, it's his last chance of a day out for the next 30 years!

I'm encouraged that Judge Bright gave Russell Flint's "The murder wasn't motivated by money" schtick short shrift. I think tomorrow's sentencing could be quite something. Judge Bright's summing up was impressive but I don't think he's peaked yet! Like many of you, I'm feeling sad today, it's a great verdict obviously but the tragedy has really hit home. I'm saving my champagne for tomorrow's sentencing when I will raise a glass to Helen and Boris and also the wonderful Websleuthers who united here in support of them.

I have to admit I laughed out loud at the image of Big Bean being a danger to society. Although in the early days of his evidence it did seem that he might be capable of boring large groups of people to death...

:laughing:

Thank you, that's the first time i've laughed since I heard the verdict. I needed that. x

So he's definitely thrown one of his tantrums then. No wonder his son wouldn't look at him.

Seriously, what gives him the right not to appear for sentencing? He should not have a choice in the matter.

toys out of pram.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member