Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.10.17 - Day 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter‏Verified account
@AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
The Crown is focusing on the welded together drums. Huys says these drums weren't seized at the time of the search warrant. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 1m1 minute ago
"Drums welded together in a stack," Huys describes. Crown is now pointing that object out on the photo. The welded drums were not seized by police, she says. (They seem similar to the homemade incinerator we saw earlier) #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC 36s36 seconds ago
Now seeing more shots of inside the barn. Huys says there was a generator in there, covered in a black tarp. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 34s34 seconds ago
Another angle inside the barn shows an empty area with an open door. Huys identifies a generator under a tarp at the side of the photo. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 33s34 seconds ago
Boards are placed on the floor leading to large open door, as if they were used as a track for some sort of trailer. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 11s11 seconds ago
Crown points at an object behind the barn, and Huys says it was a tractor. It was there before police got there, she confirms. #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC 4s4 seconds ago
There's also a tractor outside in one of the photos. #LauraBabcock

Yes. And why was he leaving "dough" for MS on July 4th. DM made all his minions work for their money. So what work did MS do for him? :waitasec:

Leaving money is another piece of 'circumstantial', since, for all we know, DM could have left him money to go buy lightbulbs and groceries for Maplegate or something. MS was his flunky.

It looks worse for DM I think. The iPad is set up to his ID and credit card, and he declines to give MS the password. Smich is at his house using the iPad, but it suggests DM has claimed it.

How do we know that DM declined to give MS the pw?

@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Now seeing the tractor up close. It has a loader on the front. #LauraBabcock

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account
@MarkCarcGlobal 2m2 minutes ago
In another picture we see a tractor with a front loader in a field on the property. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 51s52 seconds ago
Close up photo shows tractor. "I think it's a tractor. It's got a loader on front," Huys says. Another shot shows loader ("or bucket, whatever you want to call it") from the front. Cornfield all around, treed area behind that. Cornfield and forest part of the farm in question.

@AdamCarterCBC 47s47 seconds ago
So we're clear here -- this is a farm owned by Millard. #LauraBabcock

The ipad was initially hooked up to DM's computer, and (presumably) at some point between then and the next backup date of January 2013, the ipad's name was changed to 'mark's'... I don't believe they know what it had been called prior to that, because Falconer said that it could have been called 'mark's' even before July 4th (however, we are assuming that obviously DM and MS did not have the ipad prior to getting together with LB on July 3rd).

Okay, now I'm confusing myself - because if the initial attachment to the ipad to DM's computer in July 2012 is already showing 'Mark's', then why is Falconer saying it could have been changed to 'Mark's' any time prior to Jan 2013? ie if it wasn't changed until Dec 2012, then where is it showing up on July 4, 2012?

You need an Apple ID to log in to iTunes. iTunes is where you do all your back up. The older back up will not show in DM's computer as Falconer said it was first hooked up to DM's pc on July 4, 2012. The older back up could be in SL or LB's pc if they ever did a back up of the iPad.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 2m2 minutes ago
Fence at back of property has open gate, track marks leading out gate to cleared field. #LauraBabcock

We're now seeing a more barren looking back area in the farm. All dirt, no grass. #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC1m1 minute ago
Now we're seeing photos of a treeline. There's a yellow line in the trees, it's police tape. There's also something in the trees. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
Photos moving closer to treeline. A yellow police tape line strings across the tree. You can see there might be something in the trees behind the tape. Lockhart says we will get to that in a few minutes. #LauraBabcock

We're now seeing a photo showing there appears to be a path behind the treeline. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 46s46 seconds ago
At the top of the treeline you can see a faint pathway that cuts into the woods. Huys walks down the path and takes photos along the way. Looks big enough for a vehicle. #LauraBabcock

Now we're seeing what's behind the treeline -- it's the incinerator called The Eliminator that the crown alleges Babcock's body was burned in. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
"This is the incinerator," Huys describes next photo. A tall machine on a trailer. What looks like a large propane tank attached to the front. #LauraBabcock

Deja vu...sigh :(

Interested to see how they will handle the search of the inside of the incinerator!

Huys was the first officer to come across the incinerator. "When I walked up to the trees to see what was there, I honestly had no idea what it was. I'd never seen a piece of machinery like this before. I don't think it was really registering what I was looking at." #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
"I honestly had no idea what it was. I'd never seen a piece of machinery like this before. I wasn't registering what I was looking at." Huys says she circled it to get a better idea. Was with three other officers. This was May 11, 2013. About an hour after she arrived.

Huys says the incinerator was seized from the farm by police. #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC 52s52 seconds ago
We're now seeing more photos of the Eliminator in the trees. This one shows a white propane tank. It's sitting on top of a trailer with a hitch. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
The incinerator was seized by police, Huys agrees. Next photos are closer. Large white tank on back is propane, Huys says. Lockhart circles something else. Huys says it's a hitch, next to a spare tire. #LauraBabcock

All these photos were taken in regards to the Bosma case, so how are they admissible in this trial (considering the jury isn't supposed to have knowledge of the prior murder convictions of DM and MS)?

[video=twitter;929037609799581696]https://twitter.com/AdamCarterCBC/status/929037609799581696[/video]

Interested to see how they will handle the search of the inside of the incinerator!

I was just thinking the same thing.
"Did you find a bone?"
"Yes"
"Human bone?"
"Yes"
"Miss Babcock's bone?"
"No"

Lisa Hepfner‏
Now we can see the lettering on the side. The jury last saw this machine in photos from #Millard air hangar. Next shot shows there is a hatch above the red words "The Eliminator." A chain holds the machine onto the trailer. #LauraBabcock.

@AdamCarterCBC 31s31 seconds ago
There also appears to be some sort of long rod, like a rake, bolted down to the trailer. It looks a lot like the rod Smich was holding in photos we saw yesterday. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews 37s37 seconds ago
A long rake is "bungey-corded" down to the platform, Huys describes. It's a long metal tool, with a flat piece on the end, rather than the tongs of a rake. "We'll call it a rake," says crown. It was also seized by police. #LauraBabcock

All these photos were taken in regards to the Bosma case, so how are they admissible in this trial (considering the jury isn't supposed to have knowledge of the prior murder convictions of DM and MS)?

I would think if a piece of evidence pertains to 2 separate criminal cases, the evidence could be used in both trials?

Oh yeah, wasn't there previous testimony about the incinerator being used more than once? Then the jury was sent out and testimony stricken from the record.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews19s19 seconds ago
The back of the Eliminator now. Trailer has a licence plate, double wheels on each side. Chains fastening the incinerator to the trailer. #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC40s40 seconds ago
Now we're seeing a photo of the bottom chamber of the incinerator, with the door open, looking inside. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews2m2 minutes ago
A shot of the open hatch. Huys says she still didn't know what she was looking at when she opened the door to see inside. #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC2m2 minutes ago
She says she opened the door because she didn't know what she was looking at, and was trying to see inside. #LauraBabcock

@AdamCarterCBC1m1 minute ago
Now a closeup to a nameplate on the device: "The Eliminator, Small and Large Animal Cremators." #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews1m1 minute ago
Nameplate: "The Eliminator: Small & Large Animal Cremators." #LauraBabcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads