CA CA - Ilene Misheloff, 13, Dublin, 30 Jan 1989

I just have a positive felling about this case. I think all of these abducted girls are alive and were abducted by the same person. Jaycee Lee Dugard was kidnapped not too far away from the sites of their kidnappings and she was found alive after almost 20 years.
I so wish I felt that way, but I do not. Statistically speaking these girls would have been murdered very soon after they were kidnapped. I hope I’m wrong

Just reported on CNN by Dublin PD- they are searching Garrido's backyard again today for evidence of Ilene- as new info has come out- a witness at the time of Ilene disappearance spotted her getting into a sedan like Garrido's and he was newly out on parole then! I'm guessing she was kidnapped off San Ramon Road but that is a very major street! Hayward PD is there as well looking for Michaela Garecht.

ETA: Now after some thought, I'm thinking Garrido was parked on Amador Valley Court, right around the corner from San Ramon Road, but less major, and would still place Ilene the 200 yards from the bridge over the creekbed at Mape Park!

It is much more likely that she never made it across San Ramon Road at all. In Stalemate it is stated that the dogs tracking her route home tracked her until the alleyway, by a bar called Gallaghers...and no further. Pictures here of that alleyway, Gallagher's and where she would have crossed the road, if she made it that far.

Attachments

• Shamrock Village alleyway.jpg
    Shamrock Village alleyway.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Gallaghers pub.jpg
    Gallaghers pub.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Alleyway access to crossing point.jpg
    Alleyway access to crossing point.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Crossing point on San Ramon Rd.jpg
    Crossing point on San Ramon Rd.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 19
I discovered something today- I went to Mape Park. It does not back up directly to Dublin Iceland. The bridge over the creek goes to a restaurant and a nursery that used to be a hardware store and a children's furniture store. It's further down than Dublin Iceland, so if Ilene was last seen there and that's where her backpack was found, she was not headed to her ice skating lesson, but heading home. She would have cut through Mape Park and then across the field at Nielsen Elementary School, which she lived just across the street from. There are also several apartments and condos that back up to Mape Park, as well as houses next to it. If anyone was home at the time, seems like someone should have heard something...
I believe bridge over the creek would not have been there at the time of her kidnapping. The land on the other side of the creek was the site of the Rasmussen house, an old farmhouse. It was not torn down until 1990. You are right, she was definitely headed home.

An article in the SF Examiner (2-1-89) states that her coach went to her house to pick her up around 4pm, and was told she wasn't there.
SF Examiner 2-1-89.jpg

Mape Way runs along the park. There are houses there and she probably would have been seen walking through the park if she made it that far. Keep in mind it was 3pm or so, and most folks would have been at work. Here is a view from where the park begins near the creek to the street and houses nearby.

Mape park path 2.jpg

Here is a view from Mape Way into the park. There is nothing obstructing the view from those houses to the park.
VIEW FROM MAPE WAY.jpg

Last edited:
If she made it to the creek, it would have been all but impossible to see her there. Not from San Ramon road, or even from Mape Park. You would have to be on the edge of the creek bank to see her. I don't think it could have been someone who just happened to see her cross the street...who then followed her there. I believe someone would have to be a local to know how to get to the park (or even know there is one) from San Ramon Road.

This would be the view from San Ramon road into the creek bed. I am not certain this foot bridge would have been there in 1989.
foot bridge over creek.jpg

You would have to be on/near this bridge and look down to see anyone, even then..you can't see much
Entry to creek bed.jpg

The creek , from the park isn't much better. I had to down the bank a bit to get this view
CREEKBED 2.jpg CREEKBED.jpg
(*note, the building on the right in this picture was not there in 1989)

The top of the bank, which now has pathways, is also not a good vantage point for someone looking to see her
Mape park pathway.JPG

While I know her backpack was found there, after the creek was already searched, I am not convinced she walked the creek bed that day

Last edited:
Ilene Beth Misheloff

ilene_beth_misheloff_1.jpg
ilene_beth_misheloff_3.jpg
ilene_beth_misheloff_8.jpg

(School photo- ice skating picture- age progression image)
  • Missing Since 01/30/1989
  • Missing From Dublin, California
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth 03/12/1975 (43)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A charcoal-gray pullover Espirit polo sweater, a pink and charcoal-gray skirt with horizontal stripes, black low-top Keds sneakers, and two earrings in each ear. Carrying a dark blue backpack and a black molded hard plastic flute case.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Ilene wore braces on her teeth at time of her disappearance. Her ears are double-pierced. Ilene has freckles on her cheeks and on the bridge of her nose, and a small lump on the inside of her left ankle
Ilene was walking home in Dublin, California on January 30, 1989 at 3:00 p.m., after her classes concluded at Wells Intermediate School. Several classmates reported seeing Ilene walking alone on Amador Valley Boulevard near Village Parkway and the Shamrock Village Shopping Center in the afternoon; she vanished shortly afterwards. She was taking a shortcut home, going through a wide alley behind Shamrock Village shopping center near Gallagher's Pub and the back of the Sawmill furniture store, then across San Ramon Road to a dry creek bed that leads to Mape Memorial Park.

Ilene has never been seen again. Ilene's keyfob was found near the entrance to the park. She was carrying a dark blue backpack at the time of her disappearance. The backpack was later found abandoned in the creek bed in Mape Memorial Park. It was located after the area had already been searched; authorities believe someone may have placed it there after Ilene's disappearance.

Monday- January 30th 1989

• 3pm- Ilene leaves Wells Middle School early, having been excused from physical education class that day.
  • She is seen walking on Amador Valley Blvd , near Village Parkway
  • Ilene takes a short cut, in the alleyway behind the Shamrock Village shopping center.
  • 4pm- Ilene’s skating coach arrives at her home to pick her up for her lesson, is told by her brother that Ilene was not at home.
  • 6pm- Ilene’s Mother, Maddi Misheloff, arrives at Iceland to pick her daughter up but is told she has not been there.
Search effort
  • Police conduct search using helicopters with infrared to try and locate her.
  • FBI brought in to assist. (Press Democrat 2/3/89)
  • Mape Park, creek bed and West Dublin hills searched.
  • Canine tracking used to trace Ilene’s path home. Dog tracks up to alleyway behind Shamrock Village shopping center near Gallagher’s Pub, but not beyond.(Stalemate)
  • Ilene's backpack is located in creek after area had already been searched.
Ilene's parents, Mike and Maddi Misheloff, hold a candlelight vigil walk every year following the route Ilene would have taken home. This year's walk and ecumenical prayer service in honor of Ilene will mark the 30th anniversary of her disappearance.

If you have any information about Ilene's case, please contact Dublin Police Sergeant Daniel McNaughton 925-833-6670- CASE #89D0252

NCIC # M-342562026

Have you seen this child? ILENE MISHELOFF

Ilene’s case is one of several child abductions during that time period in the Bay Area.
6/6/1979- Tara Cossey- San Pablo, CA
2/10/1984- Kevin Collins – San Francisco, CA
8/23/1984- Clark Handa- Fairfield, CA
6/3/1988- Amber Swartz- Garcia- Pinole, CA
11/19/1988- Michaela Garecht- Hayward, CA
1/30/1989- Ilene Misheloff- Dublin,CA
12/27/1991- Amanda “Nicki” Campbell- Fairfield, CA

Sources:
California Department of Justice
The Charley Project
Doe Network
FBI
Find-Ilene.org
San Francisco Examiner
Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Stalemate

Last edited by a moderator:
Dublin vigil to honor 30 years since Irene Misheloff's disappearance
This Wednesday will mark 30 years since her disappearance on Jan. 30, 1989, and her parents, Mike and Maddi Misheloff will hold a candlelight vigil and walk in hopes that it will bring awareness to her case.

This year’s walk will follow the path Ilene took home that day to make sure she will be remembered. Starting at 7 p.m. Wednesday, the walk will begin at Wells Middle School, located at 6800 Penn Drive, and proceed to Saint Raymond Church on 11555 Shannon Ave. A non-denominational service will be held at the church in her honor.

Jewels, are you all set for the walk and the prayer service tomorrow? I'm looking forward to hearing about it! :)
I am definitely ready. I will let you know how it goes. I’m hoping for a large turn out of my peers . I have been campaigning on the page that dare not speak its name (FB) to get plenty of folks to show their support for our hometown girl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back