Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guessing you are local? Do you recall police taking voluntary dna samples? Did anyone ever find out who might have declined? Also - didn’t the police say the have some dna? if so shouldn’t we know if those two “suicide victims” are possible matches? So sorry- but a cold case like this hard to keep facts or tidbits straight... do you have insight?

Both Rees and Swindler lived within 1/2 mile of maggie long. Looks like one of them owned a 90’s f150 around the time of the murder. May have had MN plates. Rees may have had access to mini cargo van from his father’s plumbing business.

Also I suspect LE originally announced there was no danger to the public as the guns and ammo were in the stolen safe. Why steal a safe if you can open it? Probably thought the safe was full of money. Maggie got home in the middle and they ended up killing her when she was unable to help open the safe. All just my own personal suspicions.[/QUO

A fourth person may have been involved in the December 2017 killing of 17-year-old Maggie Long inside her Bailey home, according to a spokesperson for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

A silhouette of that person was added to the Maggie Long Task Force website, which was created in January of this year to help generate new leads in the case.

"It could be a male or a female, but we believe there is possibly a fourth person that is either involved int he burglary on Dec. 1, 2017, or that might be a key witness that we would like to talk to," said FBI spokeswoman Amy Meyer.

Fourth person may have been involved in Maggie Long's murder

Dec. 1 marked two years since Maggie Long’s murder. A task force continues to work the case, but no arrests have been made and no suspects have been named.

“I listen to a lot of murder podcasts and like true crime stuff and I think that’s – we’re sitting here with you today because this is not a cold case,” Lynna Long said.

For sisters, two years still feels like yesterday.

“Having to deal day to day with not being able to talk to her, know how she’s doing or not being able to follow her on her journey through college or finding herself. That part sucks.” Connie Long said.

The Long family no longer lives in the home off County Road 43. It’s sat empty since that night in December 2017. The family has since left Bailey altogether.

“That time is passed and like her not being around anymore changes how I view Bailey as a place that I grew up because it doesn’t feel like the place I grew up anymore without that presence,” Lynna Long said.

Home lost its feeling, but Lynna and Connie Long find comfort in words their sister left behind.

“This the yearbook from her senior year,” Connie Long said. She opened the yearbook to a page dedicated to Maggie Long.
'This is not a cold case': Maggie Long's sisters not giving up two years after teen's murder

Last edited:
This case is just so sad. Clearly, whoever did it knew of the Longs in one way or another. Why kill Maggie? One reason could be they knew she could identify them or at least one of them. Of course, it was totally random that she went home from school at that exact moment. It's heartbreaking. I feel that it was an ex-employee, or someone linked to an employee that knew that the Longs had a lot of cash. Either that or the boarder/roomer that lived there or perhaps even someone from Maggie's high school. I'm sure the Longs network is large so maybe it will continue to take time to investigate all the possibilities. Was it a one-time hit, or have there been other (non-lethal) robberies in the area?

I am local, and yes, PCSO did obtain voluntary DNA samples from family members and associates of the Long family but would not comment as to why or if anyone declined. It is the running belief that the former sheriff botched the case pretty badly. At first we were all told she was missing. We offered to organize search parties. They told us no. No Amber alert, nothing. Then, a week later, they say they found her in the house. Then BOLO issued. Then they say that wasn’t meant for the public, but everything is fine, there’s no danger to the community. Blah blah blah. They clearly were not doing their best work. They released the home and property back to the family one day after the crime took place. It is notable that the ranch was gated, meaning one had to have access to enter. No explanation as to how/why multiple vehicles would’ve been used for a burglary. The male tenant (we know gender because of radio transmissions reviewed by editor of the flume) presumably has not been identified publicly out of fear/concern for his safety and well-being. Everything smells fishy; there are also a good number of RSOs in relation to the small population, but their DNA should be in the system. Lots of rumors swirl but nothing concrete. It is sad and infuriating at the same time. No one has been talking about the suicides being related to Maggie’s murder, at least not that I’ve heard. I don’t know these boys, but the violent behavior is concerning. Older vehicles, particularly trucks, are not uncommon here, as Bailey is a small community, but there are countless people passing through, as Bailey is right on highway 285, a major route from Denver down into New Mexico. I believe the recent uptick in tips was due to the podcast, which is great. Any news coverage is good. Please don’t forget. Please keep digging.
Guessing you are local? Do you recall police taking voluntary dna samples? Did anyone ever find out who might have declined? Also - didn’t the police say the have some dna? if so shouldn’t we know if those two “suicide victims” are possible matches? So sorry- but a cold case like this hard to keep facts or tidbits straight... do you have insight?

The Long's could have been aware of Maggie's death as early as 8.30 that evening. A CARE team was sent to the location around 9.00 that evening. I am confused about the several hours comment the sisters made. I saw this on a Facebook group dedicated to Maggie Long.
December 1
3:30-3:35pm Maggie leaves school to go home, presumed to arrive around 4pm
(source: Justice for Maggie Long Facebook Page)

~6:30pm A local resident arrives home in Deer Creek Valley Ranchos, recalls afterward seeing no unusual activity at Long Home.

7:01pm 911 call comes into Dispatch.

7:04pm Jeffco Dispatch repeats that Reporting Party (RP) states “People who own the home are violent. However, they are smashing and burning things.” RP is refusing to leave the attic.

~7:05 A local resident arrives home, was almost hit by tan(?) older model vehicle that was going so fast it crossed over into their lane on 43 at/near Long’s Ranch.

7:12pm Platte Canyon Fire stages at 2718 CR 43.

7:14pm Fire told to roll (per The Flume )

7:17pm "43 command, we have a one story frame, fire in the garage"

~7:20pm A local resident arrives home in Deer Creek Valley Ranchos, sees emergency/police behind them on CR 43.

7:21pm Dispatch: mutual aid request from Elk Creek Fire for a Tender

7:23pm Elk Creek Fire requests address clarification

7:24pm Elk Creek Fire arrives

7:27pm line extension & water on fire

7:31pm post on Pinecam by member about husband seeing fire, flames coming out of roof, above trees, and emergency vehicles arriving 

www.pinecam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222815

7:33pm post in Pinecam Scanner Forum about fire
www.pinecam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=222816

7:49pm LE has a barricaded room, making entry now

8:00pm Tenant is able to get out of attic apartment

8:13pm CBI requested for numerous starts (fire ignitions)

Sometime between 8:41-8:56pm per Ermine on Websleuths - call for coroner (unconfirmed, not heard on Jeffco Dispatch) 
 www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php...3816947#post13816947
Published by The Flume: www.theflume.com/free_content/article_67...40-2f9528003cb6.html

8:45pm Elk Creek Fire clears scene

8:48 Elk Creek Fire is clearing scene (per Pinecam, link above)

8:52pm Jeffco Dispatch - VA units are staging at Hangman and CR 43

9:05pm Jeffco Dispatch - PCSO Scene is shut down. No contact/no entry with witnesses until LE and investigators arrive on scene. Same transmission - family is on scene or arriving soon together at bottom of driveway. Deputy asks if they should be separated.

9:36 & 9:48pm Lynna Long posts call for help to find her sister Maggie who is missing
www.facebook.com/lynna.long

I just stumbled across this case today & read all of it.

Horrifying. Her poor family.

I don't think this was random. Someone who knew the family or knew of them.

Like the rest of you, I'm surprised this has not attracted more attention & also surprised that LE doesn't seem much closer now than they were a year ago.

upload_2019-12-18_17-34-54.pngupload_2019-12-18_17-34-8.png
"It took me a long time to convince them that life needs to move on," Cheang, a family friend, told Denver7.

The broker/owner at All Pro Realty, sold the home to the Longs in 2001.

"It was their dream home," he said. "Maggie grew up here."

"They worked hard. They worked in the restaurant all their lives and they built everything from scratch," he said. "They are a beautiful family. It is such a tragedy that happened."

On Friday, Cheang gave Denver7 a tour of the property.
He said he has received several phone calls from people wanting to check it out, but not all of them were really interested in buying. Cheang said his rule is that anyone who wants a showing has to prove they are capable of purchasing the property. "I want the next property owner to truly enjoy what this property can offer," he said.

He said his work will be complete once the closing takes place and once the suspects who killed Maggie are behind bars.
Maggie Long's family to sell Park County home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member