Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grinding of the numbers makes no sense regardless. If he was the legal owner it makes no sense and if he knew it was involved in a crime or stolen, it would have been smart to get rid of it rather than getting caught with it.
Indeed!

Well, by looking, - find a grave and/or family search.. despite the "Henry family" being huge,with a lot of siblings, it seems that, they most suffered a lot of loss, a lot of funerals in the family and some of the siblings, didn't had any born children.
Not listed, anyway.

Lonnie's siblings sticked with the birth area, also,in Anson County. There is where most are buried.

Now I'm really confused. This from shadetreePI in thread #4:

Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

"On another matter, I thought you guys might like to see this:

Type in these two addresses in Google Maps (one at a time, of course) then click on "street view". It'll give you a view of Locklair Road, both ends of it and you can virtually travel around that area to see what I saw when I visited. You can't access Locklair Road on this view, but you can see how desolate this area is. Judging by the way things look (since I've been there at different times of the year) and by the other photos of my own home address, these photos are about 2 years old and taken in the winter. However, not much has changed in this area. Note the spelling of Locklair Road. I promise - and I'll get a good photo next time I go, the way I'm spelling it is the way it is written on the sign. Weird that it is listed differently though...

2964 Old St John Church Road Lynchburg SC

10640 Douglas Swamp Road Lynchburg SC

Hope this gives you guys a better feel for this area.
Oh, FYI, the Does were found at the Douglas Swamp end of Locklair Rd."

That bolded segment makes no sense to me. That is the opposite side, not close to the I-95 ramps. It would basically be here:

imgur.com

The end of Locklair on that side is already less than 400 meters from I-95, and then the gap quickly lessens as the roads run parallel. From the 1966 and 1983 aerials there was less tree cover alongside Locklair on that side than there is now, not more tree cover. Type in Locklear Road, Sumter SC to search:

Historic Aerials: Viewer

Besides, many early articles reference Lynches River Road (341). That is the opposite side, the Old St. John Church Road side. I don't remember one article referencing Douglas Swamp Road, the major road connecting to Locklair and crossing over I-95 on the south side.

This is hardly a new discussion. Much of that thread #4 is devoted to confusion regarding the location, and how a truck driver could have turned onto Locklair from Douglas Swamp Road. Many posters proposed he came off I-95 and turned onto Douglas Swamp Road, until someone pointed out there are no ramps on that side:

Maybe I'm confused but I was under the impression that in 1976 Locklair Rd continued across the I-95 and could exit the highway onto Locklair but once the overpasses were built Locklair was basically dissected by the highway with no access. Can you clarify that? Thanks.

Maybe I'm confused but I was under the impression that in 1976 Locklair Rd continued across the I-95 and could exit the highway onto Locklair but once the overpasses were built Locklair was basically dissected by the highway with no access. Can you clarify that? Thanks.

I hope I’m not adding to the confusion but I do recall one of our posters figuring this to be true at some point but at the time of the murders I think the exits were there. The more I type, the more unsure I feel so I need to check this.

I hope I’m not adding to the confusion but I do recall one of our posters figuring this to be true at some point but at the time of the murders I think the exits were there. The more I type, the more unsure I feel so I need to check this.
I contacted South Carolina DOT and obtained PDFs of county maps for 1974, 1975, and 1976. Everything as we know it today as far as exits and overpasses is as it was then according to those maps.

I wonder if he could have messed with the serial numbers because he learned that the gun had a questionable history—not realizing that removing serial numbers was a Federal crime.

After all, removing serial numbers might seem to be a defense against theft charges, but would not defend against ballistics testing and murder charges.

I think it's a bit fishy that one brother owned the gun, it was allegedly stolen, it allegedly passed through a few hands, and somehow found its way to the other brother's car with the serial number filed. That's a bit of a stretch to believe. It's more likely that one brother needed to get rid of the gun, the other brother filed the serial number and tucked it under the seat in his car, and police found it.

I'm assuming that "van" is based on tire tracks and wheel base.

View attachment 283328

4 Apr 2008, 3 - National Post at Newspapers.com

Thanks, we've posted this article quite a few times. It's probably time to accept that information as final unless LE comes up with a new announcement.

Same with the road, exits, etc. That info has been clearly established by maps, Historic Aerials, etc.

Less clear is the info about where the weapon came from, who had it when and who the POI's relatives are.

Of course, LE knows a lot of this already. Can't wait until there's an update from them.

She sounds like a great person. Does everyone take for gospel what superunknown reported about her comments? Most seems to be information that was later confirmed in the news media, but I was concerned about sourcing for the comment that LE thought the couple had been shot in the van, then removed at the Locklair Rd location and shot again.

Has that ever been confirmed by LE? TIA
I can only speak for myself, how I interpret evidence and why I choose to give more weight to one source vs. another:

In my opinion, what Verna said doesn't require LE confirmation. Verna was a primary source. She handled the deceased. She didn't have to rely on someone to tell her where the bullet wounds were located because she saw the bullet wounds. As the deputy coroner and then the coroner, Verna was a member of the investigative team. She worked one on one with the Sumter County Sheriff. In fact, she was the thread of continuity between multiple administrations. In my opinion, if she said that investigators thought the kids were first shot in the vehicle, then again alongside the road, then I have no doubt that was the opinion of some investigators. It doesn't mean they were correct.

The news media is, with occasional exception, a secondary source. They rely on primary sources for their reporting. I believe that dedicated professional journalists strive to be, and usually are quite accurate. However, it was my impression that in this case, the notion of the suspect driving a van was a conclusion reached by the news media and based on the tire impression results. I'm not sure tire size alone would be enough info to reasonably conclude they were driving a van. It would require the depth of the impressions, and the vehicle's wheelbase measurements etc. I wasn't aware of LE releasing that much info and I question the ability of a newspaper to interpret that info. That's why I asked for the source.

I hope that clarifies where I was coming from.

Fukiyama noticed that in the 1966 aerial view, I-95 was under construction and Locklair Road still intact in its original layout of a straight line. It indeed crossed over the I-95 corridor at that point. This screen capture depicts it. Locklair is the white line running diagonally from center left to top right, crossing I-95:

imgur.com

Also in that image you can faintly see the eventual track of Locklair at it parallels the east side of I-95 briefly before angling left and connecting with Douglas Swamp Road at lower left. However, note the low number of tree lined areas on that side of Locklair. And only on one side of the dirt road, the side opposite I-95. They had to carve out a path for the freeway so naturally they weren't going to prioritize trees compared to accessibility for construction workers. Seems difficult to believe there would have been that much growth in 10 years, to resemble the crime scene photos.

BTW, the other side of Locklair was obviously used prominently during construction of I-95. It is noticeably widened and chewed up at the intersection of Locklair and Old St. John Church Road. Big trucks needed to make that turn to help with construction. That intersection is where I filmed the video. The gap of 20 yards from the intersection to the tree line is probably explained by that need to make use of the intersection in 1966. Also note the structures nearby including possibly one home. Those structures are not there in the 1983 aerial. But we don't know about 1976:

imgur.com

Locklair should be a sleepy dirt road. It had lots going on in 1966 and again in 1976. I agree with Betty P that this topic is mostly stalled. I had no intention of continuing until noticing the comment from shadetreePI in thread #4 that the murders occurred at the Douglas Swamp Road side. That makes little sense to me. I wish I had discovered Websleuths when Verna Moore was still alive. Apparently she was willing to talk to those with an interest in this case. There are references in early threads by multiple posters here who spoke to her and wrote to her.

In my opinion, what Verna said doesn't require LE confirmation. Verna was a primary source.

It goes beyond that. In one thread here it was mentioned that Verna Moore was also a reporter for the Sumter County Item at the time of the murders, along with being deputy coroner.

I forget which thread it was. Probably #3 or #4 because I spent the most time recently sampling those two threads.

The user here wrote it as if certain. If true then Verna probably helped supply the paper with photos and details. She may have been an original source for other media as well.

It goes beyond that. In one thread here it was mentioned that Verna Moore was also a reporter for the Sumter County Item at the time of the murders, along with being deputy coroner.

I forget which thread it was. Probably #3 or #4 because I spent the most time recently sampling those two threads.

The user here wrote it as if certain. If true then Verna probably helped supply the paper with photos and details. She may have been an original source for other media as well.

It seems that she (V Moore) was happy to discuss this case with anybody in hopes of getting the word out. I’ve read that she was the one who pushed for national media on this case too so there’s no doubt she had close media relationships.

She wasn't a reporter. She worked in the sales dept. She resigned from The Item when she was elected coroner.

Pamela's family was associated with plant nurseries. Her father and uncle ran a nursery together for a long time. In terms of how Pamela and James met, it's probably a mere name coincidence but I was thinking today that the reason I was familiar with James' last name is that my favorite nursery in this area is Freund Flowering Trees in Homestead. I have purchased trees from there several times including a few months ago. I left a positive online review a couple of years ago.

However, this is so far away in South Florida. I didn't see anything indicating connection of this business to anyone in Pennsylvania or Minnesota or Colorado, nor did anything jump out connecting James' family to the nursery business, at least based on the info I've seen posted from others. I saw the obituaries of Pamela's parents but not from James' side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous_user