PA - Ellen Greenberg, 27, Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing, ruled suicide but possible homicide, Jan 2011

Though I don't agree it was a suicide, I have to correct this finding. This lock can absolutely be kicked in, I have had it kicked in before. While it has also been kicked in at countless times in hotels...So, that statement that he(Breenan) says, is incorrect.

Last edited:

8/11/22

The case of a beloved Pennsylvania schoolteacher found dead with 20 stab wounds is being reopened more than a decade after it was initially ruled a suicide.

The family of Ellen Greenberg emphatically denied there being any chance that she could have killed herself. The 27-year-old educator was about to be married when her fiancé told police he came home from the gym to find her lying in their Philadelphia apartment on Jan. 26, 2011

Her fiancé, Sam Goldberg, told the 911 operator he thought she may have slipped and hit her head, and audio recording of the call captured the moment he discovered she had been stabbed.

“Her shirt won't come off, it's a zipper. Oh, my God, she stabbed herself,” he said.

Greenburg was stabbed 20 times, 10 in the back of her neck, once in the scalp, eight times in the chest and in the abdomen.

Her death was at first ruled a homicide but was later changed to suicide. Her parents have spent the last 11 years fighting that ruling.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is not a free-for-all type of site like many others out there in cyberspace.

If you are snarky / rude, personalize against other members, or are disrespectful to other members in any fashion, then your post and / or you will be removed from the discussion either temporarily or permanently. Just discuss the post, not the poster.

If you state information as fact you MUST provide a link to an approved source to substantiate the fact.

If what you post is your opinion, you MUST make that clear (JMO, MOO, I think, I believe, etc)

If you are not Verified by WS as a case insider or expert, you are a regular member who must provide links.

There are literally thousands of random blogs and podcasts out there in cyberland, and not all of them are approved sources by Websleuths standards. MSM and LE are always approved sources, but unless you already know for sure, you need to ask.

If you don't know for sure that a source is approved, do not assume it is okay or tell others that you 'think' it is okay. Ask a Mod or Admin BEFORE posting. Just jump off any post to Report and ask for approval and wait until you get an answer. Don't ask WS staff questions on the thread where they may not see your post for days or weeks and don't assume it's okay because you didn't get an answer. WS staff can't possibly sit in each of the thousands of threads to read in real time just to see your post .. we may not see it for days or weeks and in the meantime the thread is derailed with misinformation and/or TOS violations.

Thank you for posting in accordance with Websleuths rules and policies.

<modsnip> Or are we thinking someone from outside of the house? Any neighbors hear anything? Any drugs in her system (like something to knock her out)??

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the update:

“We are cautiously optimistic that the panel will find the estate of Ellen Greenberg may proceed to trial on her mandamus and declatory actions against the City (of Philadelphia) and Dr. Osbourne so that the manner of her death may be changed from suicide to something else," he said. "Only then can we begin to secure justice for Ellen."

I hope so too.

Thanks for the update:

“We are cautiously optimistic that the panel will find the estate of Ellen Greenberg may proceed to trial on her mandamus and declatory actions against the City (of Philadelphia) and Dr. Osbourne so that the manner of her death may be changed from suicide to something else," he said. "Only then can we begin to secure justice for Ellen."

I hope so too.
I've followed cases where it's indeed a tall burden to get the ME/Coroner to revise the manner of death from suicide to undetermined or homicide. However, it did not prevent the Zahau family from prevailing in their wrongful death suit against Adam Shacknai while Rebecca Zahau's manner of death remains as suicide.

“Thursday marks 12 years since the shocking death of the 27-year-old teacher, and her family is still questioning the circumstances and conflicting evidence. She had been stabbed 20 times, with 10 of the wounds to the back of her head and neck, and her family says she was covered in bruises, old and new.”
The first lawsuit is seeking to have her cause of death revised from suicide to homicide or undecided. A separate, more recent civil suit also accuses several officials close to the case of a conspiracy to cover up Greenberg's homicide, according to the family's attorney, Joseph Podraza.”
“Podraza told Fox News Digital Thursday he expects the court to determine whether the first case will go to trial within the next three months.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back