ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest in peace to the deceased.
What a terrible thing to happen .
They were all so young !
If it was murder -- and LE seem to be leaning that way -- how did the perp overpower four young adults ?

I'm way behind, and will go back and reread to see if it looked as if they were killed in their sleep, or if there was a struggle ?
Security cameras will also be vital in figuring out what happened.
So sorry for the person who found them, that will stay in their mind forever. :(
M00

It looks like Kaylee & Maddie (Madison) were friends for most of their lives:

My condolences to the families & friends of the victims.

….
No one is in custody. However, the city said it did not believe there is ongoing community risk based on the police’s preliminary investigation.
….
Friends of the Chapin family said Ethan Chapin was beloved in his community. He was a triplet with one brother and one sister.
"You just couldn't ask for better kids," said neighbor Dave Hayton.

After graduating from high school, all three siblings decided to attend the University of Idaho.
Chapin and his brother were members of the same fraternity.

….
The Moscow Police Department is asking anyone who may have information about the suspected homicides to call them at 208-882-COPS or 208-882-2677.

<modsnip - quoted post had Twitter of private person embedded>
Hmmmm.....

Well, someone had a grievance against at least one of the victims.
Imo.
Were the other deaths collateral, as in the wrong place at the wrong time ?
So, "crime of passion" as in domestic dispute, or a romance that ended in a break up ?
This is the first time I've ever heard that the 'process of elimination' was used to determine this theory.
Or is it possible that LE have no clue yet, and are speaking to everyone who knew the four people ?
Just saying.
M00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there were three women and one man, and since there is not thought to be a danger to the community, I wonder if this was a case of jealousy/ex-dating partner violence against the man and one of the women? Perhaps the other two women just happened to be there were not the targets? MOO.

''The university also revealed some further details about the four students, who were all aged between 20 and 21:
  • Ethan Chapin was a freshman from Mount Vernon, Washington, and was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity. He majored in recreation, sport and tourism management in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences.
  • Xana Kernodle, was a junior from Post Falls majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, and belonged to the Pi Beta Phi sorority.
  • Madison Mogen, was a senior from Coeur d'Alene majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics.
  • Kaylee Goncalves was a senior from Rathdrum majoring in general studies in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences.''
''He added information could not be released "without jeopardizing the integrity of the investigation."

MOO of course but the insistence of law enforcement that there’s no further threat leads me to believe the perpetrator is among the deceased.
I was thinking along the lines of murder-suicide at first, but changed my mind to overdose then a drugs/financial/love grudge hit, as I just couldn't envisage it from any of these young ones.

But, yes murder-suicide is possible, although they seem to have stated homicide only.

So I'm now back to thinking a drugs/financial/love grudge hit. But even that seems so unlikely.....

I'm sad. And confused. University students shouldn't be getting killed. In any way, shape or form. Just awful.

MOO.

Last edited:
It looks like Kaylee & Maddie (Madison) were friends for most of their lives:

My condolences to the families & friends of the victims.

That IG is heartbreaking. Lifelong friendships aren't easy to maintain, and they seemed to care deeply about one another.

I teach at a uni as well as practice, and find campus crimes deeply upsetting, especially at this time of year. So much energy and engagement, such a volcanic and exciting time of life for so many -- and destroyed for what, exactly?

Like others here hoping for some answers and relief for those students and faculty/ staff still on edge, but the damage has been done.

total movie madness theory here, but is Poisoning a possibility? I mean that would take a bit of stretch in my opinion but possible right? and a perp may not be a danger to others if he poisoned targets?

total movie madness theory here, but is Poisoning a possibility? I mean that would take a bit of stretch in my opinion but possible right? and a perp may not be a danger to others if he poisoned targets?
Could it be fentanyl? Would they say homicide and charge whoever supplied the drugs? But I would say that would be a danger to the community.

I wouldn't think so. Police very quickly said "homicide." So the manner of death must have been fairly obvious. Poisoning or OD would probably require an autopsy/toxicology to confirm and would take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618